September 2nd, 2010

What's the biggest complaint about your job?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

For those Americans who are lucky enough to have a job, stress is their biggest complaint about their work.

A new Gallup poll shows that a majority of U.S. workers are completely satisfied with many parts of their job - including their relations with coworkers, the flexibility of their hours, their boss or immediate supervisor - and the amount of work that's required of them.

They are least satisfied with stress, followed by their pay, retirement plan, health insurance benefits and their chances for promotion.

The poll also shows 48 percent of workers are completely satisfied with their jobs. That's similar to satisfaction ratings in the past several years, despite the onset of the global financial crisis.

What's more - job satisfaction is higher now than it was a decade ago. Workers appear to be more satisfied with several aspects of their job than they were in 2001.

Experts suggest this means either employers have become more generous - or maybe employees have become more grateful to have a job or easier to please, since the economy took a turn for the worse.

Meanwhile - the national unemployment rate stands at 9.5 percent; and underemployment is estimated at about double that. Stay tuned for the monthly jobs report tomorrow morning. You can be sure it will be gone over with a fine-tooth comb for any signs that businesses are starting to hire.

Here’s my question to you: What's the biggest complaint about your job?

Tune in to the Situation Room at 6pm to see if Jack reads your answer on air.

And, we love to know where you’re writing from, so please include your city and state with your comment.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Ron Peeples (Elkridge, Maryland)

Without a doubt, it's the commute from Baltimore to Northern Virginia and back. Occasionally, this 40-mile trip home along the Capitol Beltway and US-95 can take as much as three hours; and even on a good day, it's almost two hours. I love my job, but hate the commute!

September 2, 2010 at 1:52 pm |
  2. Gary W

Not being able to find one!

September 2, 2010 at 1:53 pm |
  3. Michael B., Alexandria, VA

That it's still a temp job after about 2 years (with pay and benefits to match).

September 2, 2010 at 1:55 pm |
  4. Keith Evans

Servers in the food industry still get 2.13 an hour. This has not changed since I was a child. I'm 39 years old now. Can we bump that up a little to keep in pace with minimum wage ?

September 2, 2010 at 2:01 pm |
  5. Steve from Concord, CA

Well Jack, I don't have a complaint because you see, I don't have a job! So technically, I can't complain about my job if I don't have one. Perhaps the question to be asked is "What's your biggest complaint about 'not' having a job?"

September 2, 2010 at 2:06 pm |
  6. B.J., Quincy, Il

Not having one!

September 2, 2010 at 2:06 pm |
  7. Russ in PA

My biggest complaint is that the government passes nonsense regulations that may adversely affect my entire business. And I won't even know what some of the regulations are until someone knocks on the door...

Look at health care "reform": we have no idea how that will affect us as business owners over the next few years. Or even this year... No wonder so many companies are moving to the Far East. At least they like businesses over there...

September 2, 2010 at 2:11 pm |
  8. JENNA

What's the biggest complaint about your job?

That I haven't had one since 2005.

And that even though I have paid into unemployment insurance since 1978 I am not privy to any.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

September 2, 2010 at 2:13 pm |
  9. Jim Mazenis

I don't have one.

September 2, 2010 at 2:14 pm |
  10. Jack Rivera

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

I work with a maritime security agency, on weekends, right now work hours are too few.Although it is supposed to be a part time, is very much underpaid per hour for the huge responsabillty that the posts carry, specialy at the pre boarding security screen point.

San juan, PR

September 2, 2010 at 2:17 pm |
  11. Paul Round Rock Texas

Just the fact that more is expected of fewer and fewer workers to get the bottom line profit at the lowest cost of man hours. If you have a job right now you can not count on having a real life outside of work they expect you to be there or on call at all times.

September 2, 2010 at 2:18 pm |
  12. Bob in Texas

I'm self-employed Jack. My biggest complaint is my boss. He can be a complete jerk at times.

September 2, 2010 at 2:26 pm |
  13. Terry DeLoughary

The worst thing about my job is not so much that it went to China, but that no one in our government cared enough to try to stop it.

September 2, 2010 at 2:30 pm |
  14. Annie D.

I'm self-employed, can't afford medical care or coverage (big difference there, by the way) and would be unable to work for a company that offered such benefits because of my deteriorated medical condition. A giant catch-22 that could be solved by single-payer health care.

September 2, 2010 at 2:33 pm |
  15. Jerry Driskell

It turned out to be a JOB and I applied for a POSITION !
    JerryinGA

September 2, 2010 at 2:34 pm |
  16. bob z fr ,pa.

what job i don't sit in congress with nothing to do just worry about elections

September 2, 2010 at 2:35 pm |
  17. Rick McDaniel

Number one..........zero respect, for what I do.

If you work in a medical related facility, of any kind, anyone who doesn't have DR. in front of their name, is considered NOTHING! Not even worth mentioning!

Eight mos. to retire, and planning on doing that, the minute, I fulfill the requirements.

September 2, 2010 at 2:37 pm |
  18. Mike - Huntsville, AL

They have the air conditioners turned up too high.

September 2, 2010 at 2:39 pm |
  19. Tom (Atlanta)

I can't complain about something I don't have!

September 2, 2010 at 2:45 pm |
  20. Tina Tx

Right now I am not employed but if I were it would be frozen raises and working long hours. Funny how the company always makes the money to pay the senior staff but the ones who bust their humps never get credit for it.

September 2, 2010 at 2:46 pm |
  21. Hugo Kijne, Hoboken NJ

My biggest complaint is that I have to deal with so many dysfunctional individuals, agencies and institutions, but overall I'm very happy that I have a job.

September 2, 2010 at 2:56 pm |
  22. barbara in NC

It's in India, doofus. And I'm here.

September 2, 2010 at 2:58 pm |
  23. Jim Bailey

Watching the same fools make the same mistakes day after day after day after day....working casino surveillance is kind of like being a pipe loader in an opium den.
    I want your job.
    Jim
    Cripple Creek CO

September 2, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
  24. Chris - Las Vegas

Who's complaining, I've got a job. I was out of work for 8 months. That taught me to keep my mouth shut.

September 2, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
  25. Kim Krutsch

The fact that I do not have a job! I live in MI, have been laid off for a year, and am tired of email rejection letters. I am over 50, a hard working, efficient, wise, loyal person and I want to work! It seems like companies are laying off the older, more expensive people in favor of young, cheap labor. Since when is experience a deficit??

September 2, 2010 at 3:19 pm |
  26. Darrell

Hi Jack,

When I find one I'll let you know.

Detroit

September 2, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
  27. andy Lynn, MA

Jack, I really enjoy it when you ask questions that are so easy to answer. What is my biggest complaint about my job? I DON'T HAVE ONE!!! Will work for food and internet access.

September 2, 2010 at 3:22 pm |
  28. Ronda (from Canastota, NY)

Wow, Jack, I haven't had to do that in the last 6 years. I've been happily retired, thank you very much! Life is good.

September 2, 2010 at 3:23 pm |
  29. Sadie

As a recent graduate and being thrust into a 9-5 I'd have to say my biggest complaint is the amount of screen time vs the amount of hands-on learning. With an easily accessible computer, I find myself doing 10 things at once. It becomes quite hard to focus.

Ontario, Canada

September 2, 2010 at 3:30 pm |
  30. Steve, NY

My biggest complasint about my job is that I don't have one. I did have a job under Bush's administration. Ever since the Democrats took over in Congress back in 2006 things went downhill. If it wasn't for the Iraq war, times were great under Bush and the Republicans.

September 2, 2010 at 3:30 pm |
  31. southerncousin

No time off, higher taxes and health care costs. Excessive regulation from government.

September 2, 2010 at 3:31 pm |
  32. Robert from Sudbury

Greetings Jack. I have noticed in all of the places that I have worked that "the person that rocks the boat is seldom pulling on an oar". Have a great day and ask for a raise because your show is one of the primary reasons that I recently purchased a computer. By the way, why do gorrilla's have big nostrils ? (big fingers)

September 2, 2010 at 3:31 pm |
  33. Dee in New Paris OHIO

I am now retired, but when I was working I did have a major gripe. and I can only imagine that it would be even worse today.

That is, the number of people who, instead of spending their time actually WORKING, are going for coffee, talking on the phone, playing computer games, rehashing their weekend/date/domestic conflict/sex life, and today, surfing the web!

And what makes this gripe worse is, I believe that the majority of those working today feel there is absolutely nothing wrong with using their employers time for personal pursuits.
    didn't we used to have something called a "work ethic", which meant an employee gave 8 hours work for 8 hours pay? Could it possibly be that the willingness of employees to just goof off is a factor in our current economic mess?

This is something that CNN might address. Send out some undercover investigative reporter to see what is actually going on in the "workplace".It may be an eye-opener.

For example, I once worked with a person who spent HOURS on the phone, while supposedly adding up figures. The problem was, the HUGE ball of calculator paper on her desk was from the same column of figures added over and over, while she talked on the phone!

September 2, 2010 at 3:31 pm |
  34. Alex in Gig Harbor, WA

Job? What job? I have been unemployed for over a year and since I'm over 50 I haven't found anyone who will hire me even when I color my gray beard.

September 2, 2010 at 3:33 pm |
  35. Bettye

No complaints, with so many people out of work, I'm just blessed to have a job.

September 2, 2010 at 3:33 pm |
  36. CRAIG R. MCNEES

tampa, fl i guess having to work in a building with black mold for over two years resulting in my now being totally disabled and trying to live on just a disability check. they sent me home and told me not to come back too.

September 2, 2010 at 3:38 pm |
  37. Dave, Orlando, FL

This is the easiest question I’ve fielded all day. My biggest complaint about my job is; Where the hell is it?

September 2, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
  38. Missy M.

I have no complaints - really I don't. I work in an industry that has been hit hard by the recession, but the company I work for has bucked the trend and is thriving. I feel appreciated at my job. I know I do a good job and my employer recognizes and appreciates my work. Better yet, I have flexibility in my hours, work a few days at the office and a few days at home and have the flexibility I need to be home when necessary, or at the office when it's convenient. Sure, I'd like more money, but some things are more important than money, even in a recession.

September 2, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
  39. pat in michigan

what job would that be Jack? Notice the state i'm from?

September 2, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  40. Jon- Delhi, NY

In this economy I don't think any of us have the right to complain about being employed. However, I will indulge and as an educator two things bother me. First, the staff. Nothing like leaving High School and College to enter the work force in which the teachers themselves have more cliques than the students. Second, parents who enable and make excuses for lazy, apathetic students. When I failed English in my day privileges were taken away from me and I pulled my average up. Today, parents either blame the teacher or make excuses for their child because rather than act like a PARENT to their child, they'd prefer to act as a friend.

September 2, 2010 at 4:10 pm |
  41. Dennis north Carolina

retired and bored.

September 2, 2010 at 4:11 pm |
  42. chris brown fl

the worst part of my job the hours i spend in front of the computer looking for one need your grass mowed jack im good at dog walking to

September 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm |
  43. Viv from NY

No vacation time – no health care coverage – no sick days
    Tthe restaurant business a blast! Just what the libertarians should love. Lots of personal responsibility
    HA

September 2, 2010 at 4:25 pm |
  44. Jerry Johns Creek, GA

My biggest complaint about my job is that I don't have one. My chances of getting a job are zero. I can't even get listed on the count for the unemployed.

September 2, 2010 at 4:31 pm |
  45. Ralph Spyer

The highter up the food chain you go the greater number of patronage morons there are.

September 2, 2010 at 4:32 pm |
  46. Rob in Brooklyn

i love my job. great boss- great co-workers

September 2, 2010 at 4:33 pm |
  47. Sarah

Lack of job security. We've had 2 rounds of layoffs in 3 months and will have another in a few weeks. This time we'll be losing 50% of our employees.

-Sarah, Houston, TX

September 2, 2010 at 4:40 pm |
  48. Remo, from beautiful downtown Pflugerville Texas

Jack, by biggest complaint about my job is: I DON'T HAVE ONE!
    I think you can figure out the rest.

September 2, 2010 at 4:42 pm |
  49. James in San Diego

Monthly layoffs and constant wondering when I will draw the short straw.

September 2, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
  50. John from Alabama

Jack: Not enough money, but then I am retired. I used to have over 750 people working for me, and I made good money. Now, my wife is the boss. Yes, a real pain, but then we all have our crosses to bare.

September 2, 2010 at 4:49 pm |
  51. Rich - TX

people should be promoted by merit not senority.

September 2, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  52. Paul P.

The fact that at my workplace there was a salary freeze several years ago and there has been no indication as to when, or what criteria needs to be fulfilled in order for us to see any kind of pay raise again. I don't mind the extra work I've been doing, but as each subsequent year passes and inflation occurs, I make less and less and I am forced to cut back and spend less.

September 2, 2010 at 4:55 pm |
  53. Paulette in Dallas,PA

I do not have a full time job. Now in the Fall I officiate women's field hockey. My 2 biggest complaints this season is the high heat and humidity and then of course, missing you and Wolf in The Situation Room! So, if I'm not on your blog for a while Jack,don't despair! I'll be back on rain out days and when the season ends. Hope you and Wolf have a wonderful Labor Day weekend.

September 2, 2010 at 4:56 pm |
  54. Cy Gardner

Corporations can spend millions on "free speech" and want to keep it a secret. Employees can lose their livelihood if they think free speech is one of their rights. People have been fired for having a Kerry bumper sticker on their car in the company parking lot and for commenting on labor web sites from the privacy of their own homes. The right wing corporate lobbyists on the Supreme Court want to make the Constitution the exclusive property of Big Business. Individuals have no rights, especially if they want to work. cy gardner, arlington, va

September 2, 2010 at 4:57 pm |
  55. Anthony from NJ

I'm retired now Jack and my new job is complying with my wife's daily "to do list". It encompasses things men love such as vacuuming, dusting, scrubbing floors, and washing dishes. My ambition is to keep her happy but I fall short many times.
    I would run to a job gleefully and hire a full time maid for my overwrought spouse. But this economy isn't bending over backwards to hire an old goat like me.

September 2, 2010 at 5:03 pm |
  56. Dave

No raises in 5 years despite record profits. The minute I can leave them in a bad spot and profit myself (new job) I will.

September 2, 2010 at 5:07 pm |
  57. Cy Gardner

Middle management types feel like they are failing at their jobs if they can't screw the people under them out of money. People who got their positions by stabbing backs and kissing backsides tell clueless upper management that there should be no limit to the amount of garbage workers will put up with in an economy like this one. Why aren't companies hiring? It's too much fun tormenting people for their own petty self aggrandization. Name withheld because I HATE, but NEED my job.

September 2, 2010 at 5:07 pm |
  58. American

What's a job? Been unemployed 6 years. H1Bs are taking all the science jobs that everybody says we need to train people for. Well I never have had a job in my field yet. There are no high tech jobs in the US. None.

Why should there be, most managers are idiots.

September 2, 2010 at 5:12 pm |
  59. Norm

Employers are like dictators with computers. Individualism is squashed. Talent is ignored. Almost everyone is treated like dirt. They act like they have everyone over a barrel and in most cases, they probably do. That makes many of them worthless. Now with hundreds of people vying for the same jobs, we all feel like 1/100 th of a person.

September 2, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  60. Jeff In Minnesota

We cut back too far and now we don't have enough people to get the work done.

September 2, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  61. John from San Antonio

What job?

September 2, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  62. Delia, Katy, TX

My biggest complaint is – I don't have a job! My job is looking for a job and that's really hard to do these days when there aren't any jobs!

September 2, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  63. Gary in Pa

Not having one.

September 2, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  64. john .... marlton, nj

No complaints .... I love my job, the workplace is wonderful, the people are great and my boss is outstanding .....

.......................... I am self employed and employ many others

September 2, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  65. Scott Stodden

I Have No Complaints Im Just Glad To Have A Job And Everyone Else Who Has Jobs Should Feel The Same Way, My Father Just Lost His Job After 35 Of Years Of Service To His Company, They Said We Don't Need You No More Now He Has To Move Cuz He Can't Afford The Home He's In!

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

September 2, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  66. Loren

The people I work for, and that doesn't mean my boss. Senior management seems to lack common sense about basic industry concepts and too frequently tries to reinvent the wheel, wasting resources and missing opportunities. Sometimes new things can work, but more frequently, it is tried and true that rules the day.

September 2, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  67. Mark, Oklahoma City

I am a Teacher and proud of it. My biggest complaint is NOT the pay. It is this concept that teachers have some kind of "easy" job with lots of "time off". Well, guess what? Teachers are only PAID for the days we actually teach.....there is no such thing as a PAID VACATION for teachers. The pay we draw over the summer is money that we have already earned and just not been paid yet. So, Jack, can you please let your viewers know that teaching today's children is tough, exhausting and thankless. So, the least people can do is stop accusing us of getting PAID time off! Now I'm going to sit down and grade papers.

September 2, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  68. AJ in UT

My biggest gripe? We're growing, but they keep outsourcing the jobs overseas because hiring a new American is too expensive. They say this with a straight face while they cut my pay, increase my workload, and expect me to work holidays and weekends and smile all the while.

September 2, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  69. Mari, Utah

No complaints, Jack. I am grateful for the jobs our family has.

September 2, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  70. honest John in Vermont

My biggest complaint is my company is making less money and so am I.

September 2, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  71. Allen in Hartwell GA

I don't know what to say. That it's only 8 hours a day? That it pays me to do what I enjoy? That they make me take vacation and holidays?
    Allen
    Hartwell GA

September 2, 2010 at 6:11 pm |
  72. Tiffiney, Chicago

The fact that I don't have one

September 2, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  73. Walter

My biggest complaint about my job? Oh wait...I don't have one.

September 2, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  74. L

The lack of one.

L
    Charlotte, NC

September 2, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  75. Ken in NC

Biggest complaint is threat of lay off from management if additional work is not completed while employer cries that they have no orders to keep the business afloat. Go figure.

September 2, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  76. Nadia

Besides the lack of communication between bosses,working at PF changs is or an restaurant is stressful during slow seasons because hourly employees do not get steady hours.once business slows down,we get sent home.

September 2, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  77. Richard Wedding

What job?

September 2, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  78. A Delaware case worker(name withheld)

The biggest is the extreme caseload in child protective services. Someone is going to die. None of our management gives a crap about anything other than their political careers. Cases go to three times the legal recommendations but the courts and Feds just keep issuing idiotic edicts. Very scary stuff for these kids who mistakenly think we can keep them safe.

September 2, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  79. Cal Orey

As a working author (and now thanks to the Great Recession a part-time phone psychic) I feel blessed to have work but...I am tired. I paid my dues in graduate school. Feel like it's Groundhog Day and back to square one. At my age, I shouldn't have to work so hard for the money. I crave a vacation but I don't see one in the near future.
    P.S. Yes, I saw the recession coming. I was one month off and I also predicted a double-dip recession.
    - Worker Bee

September 2, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  80. Jim Blevins

China! I repair consumer electronics. I am competing directly with workers that get paid so little that they couldn't survive in this country. What I can charge for a repair is limited by how much a replacement costs. Since the replacement is built by people who earn practically nothing, that is very limiting.

Jim, Craig, CO

September 2, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  81. john

the pay the pay, nobody wants to pay a living wage anymore when they can get illegal aliens to work under the tAble or either the CEO's pocket those big bonuses and the worker gets by on minimun wage. who can ever get ahead or save when it takes everything you can beg borrow or steal from just to get by, guess since all the jobs have went south of the border we need to look in mexico for a job

September 2, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  82. Name*

The fact that, after working for a company that posted over 50 billion in profits for the last 8 years, I now have to meet a large deductible before a single penny for my health benefits to kick in.

September 2, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  83. CollegeGrad

I don't have one to complain about. It amazes me that college grads don't have jobs most of which are drowning in student loan debt. This situation no one seems to care about, the government has yet to do anything about private loans when it comes to grads. My credit splits further and further away from me everyday while I have ten dollar an hour jobs telling me I'm unqualified to do them...GOD BLESS AMERICA!!! Everything we do is for profit even healthcare and education... while we continue to play second son to the rest of the world and we wonder why....

September 2, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  84. Gary H. Boyd

Jack, I work for my wife doing household chores. She's a real task master 24/7. I want to unionize but there's no union that handles my line of work. I'd divorce her but can't afford to. It's a real dilema.

Gary in Scottsdale, Arizona

September 2, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  85. Barbara in Las Vegas

This goes a couple of ways for me, Jack, though both are the "biggest" complaint about my job–just in different realms: The first is the TRAFFIC I have to endure to get here. For a city composed of 85% transplants from other places, the folks who live here sure brought along their WORST driving habits...getting to work alive notwithstanding, though, my biggest complaint about my job is that it is not fulfilling. Call me a dreamer, Jack, but I am still from that school of thought that believes that one can like, indeed love, what they do and still make a good living doing it. I want inspiration, meaning, purpose...and while I am glad I have a job (albeit a temp gig), I just don't think that "oh I'm glad I have job" is enough to get me out of bed with a skip in my step. I am glad to hear that Wolf likes his job and has no complaints! Ask him if he needs an Assistant.

September 2, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  86. Mitch Dworkin - Dallas, Texas

I wish that I just had a job after having been laid off since September of 2008. It does not help when I already have a strike against myself being over 40 and when there are about five people competing for every one job!

Mitch Dworkin
    Dallas, Texas

September 2, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  87. Joe from Chicago

Not being too big to fail. As a small business owner, increasing revenue to cover payroll, provide raises and grow with a completely absent federal government.

September 2, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  88. Donna L

You have to have a job to complain. I am disabled so no job for me & not in my future either.

But my Husband went back to work last week for a previous employer & I can guarantee he has no complaints, he is grateful to be working. Earlier this year the same employer wasn't even able to give him over 15 hrs a week. Its only thursday & he is already on OT, and we are extremely grateful.

Donna
    Aurora, Co

September 2, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  89. David

The money. Or lack of. I bartend and contrary to popular belief that this financial mess pulls people into bars, people don't seem to be and prefer the good ole six pack at home. Whenever I feel down about the situation, I keep focusing on the glass half full. Far better making little money at work than not making any at all. That glass half full can be pretty uplifting. To all of you out there with a job you hate... Take a big sip of that half glass as it is quite refreshing

September 2, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  90. Toby T.

The homework. High school is harder than I thought it would be...

September 2, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  91. Geoff

My biggest complaint is that the corporation that I work for has absolutely no respect for me even though I am their best producer. Corporate America places little value on those most responsible for success.

September 2, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  92. Susan

My boss is my biggest complaint... think Devil Wears Prada!

September 2, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  93. Marie

Everyone keeps telling me "You should be happy you have a job." Workers are being abused now more than ever. Due to job cuts in the company, my job has doubled. I work 80 hours a week for the same pay and less benefits. My boss demands more and more of me each week and I'm so stressed, my hair is falling out. I plan to quit my job in the next week with or without another job lined up. When I quit, I plan to move to a beach somewhere with a tent, a beer and a fishing rod. Join the Movement!

September 2, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  94. Alex

Jack, I started to value my job at Wal-Mart more than I did a few months ago. Good pay, good hours, good schedule are the things I like about my job. But there is a lot of stuff which I don't like about it. The biggest problem is that it is impossible to grow at my work. Management doesn't "see" people, it ignores people who can bring positive changes. And stress can be really heavy on me caused by both – job and co-workers.

Alex from South Dakota.

September 2, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  95. Doug

I love my job. I have the best boss in the world! Me.
    Unfortunately, I haven't had any work since April. Being a self employed craftsman, I don't qualify for unemployment. I don't get any help from anyone but me. This is what the fat cats want, they want you working under their thumb at their whim. Loose cannons like me are easy to destroy in times like this.

September 2, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  96. Mark from Boston

Jack,

My biggest complaint by far is the paranoia of my colleagues. And, it's not just at my place of business; it's ubiquitous. I've never seen people so afraid of losing their job especially when most of them are doing the work of three people and making two dollars over lunch money. On the other hand, I answer to a higher authority and am confident in The Source.

September 2, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  97. Kathie Gagel

Which one? with the economy the way it is, I'm now holding down 2 jobs. the job that is 4 days a week is straight commission, trying to bring in enough 'sales' . The Second 2 days a week I'm teaching. between the 2 jobs (6 days a week) I'm brining in less than half of what I did in 1990. So I guess it would be money.

Kathie
    Winter Park, Fl

September 2, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  98. Greg in NY

My biggest complaint is that we are evaluated on how we behave and how we make people feel. Work isn't about one's knowledge and abilities.

September 2, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  99. Bill Pitts

Hi Jack,
    I'm a self-employed graphic designer and my biggest job complaint is the lack of work coming in. I'm looking forward to the economy improving!

Bill Pitts
    Jackson, Mississippi

September 2, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  100. yeshambel chekun

I don't what to say. I have 20-29hrs per week .I don't know what to do with that. If I ask more hour, I w'll get less hour, so just keep silent and have"fun" until some days.

September 2, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  101. Joyce, DeSoto, TX

The biggest complaint is I am out of a job. Although, when I had a job the biggest complaint was more work; less pay and benefits.

The unemployed needs help bad. The unemployed is a mixed bag of fruits, but the baby boomers are affected tremendously, because we are to young to retire, to young for social security and too old to work for some corporation. But of course corporations would never admit to age discrimination. I have been unemployed for three years and fit this category. Trust me, there are a lot of us.

September 2, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  102. Douglas

It is missing. It disappeared and I cannot seem to find it.

September 2, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  103. Chris Price

my father works 12hrs a day for four days a week and only gets paid for three he doesn't recieve a single break and can only break when he can for usually 15min that entire time. he does this all so that my family and I can still have a decent life. My complaint is that it seems like the companies that are hiring are using people's desperation for a job to their advantage. i mean come on 12hrs a day? what job do you know of that's decent that does that to its employees?

September 2, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  104. Jeremy Knaster

The biggest complaint about my job is the hours. The average work day on a film or TV show is 12 to 16 hours. And not glamorous hours either. Extreme heat, freezing cold, day work switching to night work not to mention the damage to our family life. Without the input of a handful of concerned major stars, union support and others above the line, it would be worse. But hey, give up show business??

September 2, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  105. samantha

I hate my boss!!! No leadership abilities whatsoever!!! I love my clients but my boss is an idiot!!!! She is an idiot!!!! Did I say my boss is an idiot???

September 2, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  106. Marie T from Bethany Beach, DE

The worst aspect for everyone is being stuck where you are, if you're lucky enough to be working at all. I know an employer who is making everyone expand their duties so he won't have to hire anyone else, and he has frozen salaries and discontinued bonuses even though his business is as thriving as ever.
    In my family, real estate agents have nothing they can sell, a teacher has nowhere to teach because of a hiring freeze, and a construction manager has nothing to manage because so little is being built.

September 2, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  107. Diane from Montana

We have owned our small business for 10 years now. Without a doubt, our biggest problem has been finding job applicants that are responsible, you know, good old fashioned work ethics -show up to work on time, and ready to roll up the sleeves and work hard at solving things. Our economy can't grow if our schools are failing to teach kids how to be ready for the real world. My sophomore high school son recently had 6 weeks of English class devoted to Haiku poetry- but can he write a proper business letter? Sadly; no.

September 2, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  108. Dave (Vancouver)

Like President Obama, my biggest beef with the job is that it keeps me from what I'd rather be doing ... solving world peace.

September 2, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  109. Mary Steele Yorktown VA

The complaint I have about my job is that an illegal is still doing it instead of ME!

Yorktown VA

September 2, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  110. Mike Rogals Vermont

Jack, I can't complain I don't have one. In 60 days when we put the GOP. back in power everything will turn out great. Yeah right I'll have even less when they are done, can't wait for that.

September 2, 2010 at 6:34 pm |
  111. Marlene

Jack,
    I, along with many other ( LEGAL )people agree that employers are taking advantage of their employees, because the economy is soooooooo bad, that they know that their employees are just thankful to have a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Most employers think that this is funny, that they treat their HARD WORKING empoyees like dirt. I believe that their laughing behind their employees back. I hope it all comes back on these employers, and let them see what it feels like to be taken advantage of.

Lucky to be employed (even under these circumstances)

September 2, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  112. Marina

Other people may think that I should not complain since I am a physician. They are wrong. We work extended hours with less emphasis on patients and more on business site. I work for the company that recently has been bought by the venture capitalist group, which has no idea what health care is about. They are trying to run us as they would the factory, replacing experienced (alas expensive) workers with cheaper labor force, squeezing more cases in less time, introducing the time clock, etc. This almost paranoid trend to boost profits you can observe everywhere not only in health care. And all this will eventually end with disaster, like banking system, dot com, etc. Once it took congress to establish the law “for pilots to not work tired”. Physicians are not an exception. They should not work while exhausted either.

September 2, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  113. Karen

My biggest complaint is not particular to my job or my employer, but the general attitude that was stated by Wolf Blitzer "they are lucky to have a job." I believe employers are taking advantage of the current situation by not replacing employees that leave and expecting current full-time employees to take on additional full-time job responsibilities without complaint because "they are lucky to have a job." While employees are grateful to have a job, they do not feel valued by their employer. They are made to feel guilty if they cannot get two full-time jobs done in the same 40 hours they worked prior to receiving addional responsibilities. It becomes a vicious circle because health insurance costs increase if employees are treated for stress-related illnesses caused by their employment situation. I for one don't feel "lucky." I feel abused.

September 2, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  114. James Cash Poor

I have worked for a Major Retail Department store for the past 17 years. Recently I received a letter from Corporate that I will no longer be employed as a Full-time Associate and as of the end of the year I will be losing my eligibility for Full-employment Benefits(Savings, small pension and HealthCare). The retail industry is known to be a low-paying employer, however the majority of workers who stay with a company like this, do so in order to accrue a modicum of security from the benefits that they earn, When the Economy took a downturn, we were asked to forfeit our annual pay increases in order to help the Company as a whole weather the Times. The Majority of employees went along with the personal "sacrifice" out of a sense of Loyalty to the Company as a whole. I, along with my fellow "victims" feel betrayed and depressed(Morale is at a Low).BTW, the Co. as a whole is doing quite well, and I expect the CEO's will received hefty bonuses this year. I suspect(but cannot prove although I've taken an informal poll) that the majority of wage cuts went to long-term(and older) Associates.

September 2, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  115. A.B.

My major complaints about my job are the following:
    * Lack of advancement opportunities
    * Lack of opportunity for creativity and autonomy
    * Lack of excitement.