August 10th, 2010

How much money makes you rich?

How much money makes you rich?
How much money makes you rich?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

It's the American dream, get rich and retire early in the lap of luxury. But just how much money would it take for you to consider yourself rich?

You'd likely get a different answer from every person you asked. There are lots of factors involved: what part of the country you live in, how extravagant your lifestyle is, how much you save, and on and on.

CNNMoney.com takes a look at the question "how rich is rich?" Some of the experts they talked to say it takes between $2 and 12 million in savings to be rich.

One definition of "rich" is being able to live comfortably without working. By that standard, in New York it would take about $300,000 a year to cover living expenses, taxes, plus a monthly spending allowance. For someone wanting to retire at 35, that means they'd need $12 million in savings. Who retires at 35?

But in other parts of the country, about $100,000 a year should be enough to live comfortably – which means you'd need about $4 million in savings to retire at 35. Of course, retiring at 35 doesn't happen for too many people – especially in this economy.

If you're willing and able to keep working until 65, you will only need about $2 million to retire.

According to the Obama administration, $250,000 is the cut-off point that makes someone rich. The president wants to extend the Bush tax cuts for all Americans, except people making more than $250,000 a year. That's about 2 percent of the population.

Here’s my question to you: How much money makes you rich?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Jim says:
Enough money to live comfortably on with good health and a happy family. That's rich, Jack, and it's too bad that so many idiots out there don't realize it until it's too late. America has become an obsessively materialistic society that's spoiled and fat and lazy. Kind of reminds me of Rome. What's next?

Ray in Nashville, Tennessee says:
Just enough to buy Congress, Jack. Just enough to buy Congress.

Lewis in Tennessee says:
Enough to pay my bills each month, buy food, save some each pay day and maybe splurge on something every few weeks. I'm rich!

Steve in Guam says:
For people my age, 26, I think we've all come to terms with the fact we will work our entire lives. I will never be rich; the gap between middle class and upper class has grown so far, it's unattainable.

Mark says:
Whatever amount of money it would take to enable me to take a four-day trip to Spain and back would probably cover it.

Rodney in Little Rock, Arkansas says
I don't know about specific dollar amounts, but I consider myself very rich. I can keep up monthly payments on a house, two cars and a few credit cards. I can go out to eat if I want to. I can buy an iPod or large screen TV. I have more than I need. I should try to help out those who don't have so much.

Jane in Wisconsin says:
Rich is an arbitrary number. If you make $50,000, $100,000 is "rich" to you. If you make $20,000, $50,000 is "rich". People who I consider "rich" are Hollywood celebrities, professional athletes, news anchors, CEOs of companies, etc. Someone making $250,000 is by no means "rich".

Meena says:
Bad question, Jack. These days, you should be asking: How much money makes you poor?

Jane in California says:
Having enough money to not have to worry about having enough money.

Filed under: Economy
  1. Kip Olson

When you can spend a million and still be a millionaire. South Dakota

August 10, 2010 at 1:35 pm |
  2. Michael H. Mundt

It would take $8.5 million for me to consider myself rich.

August 10, 2010 at 1:35 pm |
  3. Eugene Myers Flat, CA

Jack, I'm easy. All I need is enough to pay my monthly bill, feed my family and have an ice cold beer at the end of my work day. God Bless America.

August 10, 2010 at 1:35 pm |
  4. Russ in PA

Since the Government believes that our money is there money, perhaps only those of us that aligned with the political class are rich, as they get the bail outs and the distorted markets that serves them best.

If we had a true free market system – and none of this nonsensical manipulations by politicians – we'd all be richer than we are now.

Ron Paul in 2012...

August 10, 2010 at 1:51 pm |
  5. Rick McDaniel

That is so not answerable without many variables.

Since I have conservative wants, 80K a year is fine for my needs, but I will never see that amount of household income, much less personal income.

August 10, 2010 at 1:52 pm |
  6. Conor in Chicago

Well off=You make enough money to live comfortably but care about society

Rich=You have enough money to care about US tax policy and nothing else because you've lived comfortably enough for so long you cease to care about your nation, society, or local community

Wealthy=you have enough money to buy politicians and effect national/international policy to enrich your own financial well being.

August 10, 2010 at 1:54 pm |
  7. Tina Tx

Jack as long as I have good health I do not care how much money I have in the bank. Money is the root of all evil and you do not need it like you think you do. You have been brainwashed since you were a baby to think that you must become wealthy and rich. Think positive and life your life without worrying about keeping up with your neighbors who more than likely are sinking in red ink.

August 10, 2010 at 1:54 pm |
  8. Kevin of SD CA

Money doesn't make you rich! Riches are a matter of being satisfied with your personal accomplishment.
    “I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has had to overcome while trying to succeed”, Quote by Booker T. Washington.
    The money a person has is more of a representation of his power, and responsibility; or ruthlessness over others.

August 10, 2010 at 2:00 pm |
  9. Ralph

More than I have and more than I need.
    Ralph- Corpus Christi, Texas

August 10, 2010 at 2:05 pm |
  10. Bert California

Family makes you rich; money makes you crazy & selfish!

August 10, 2010 at 2:06 pm |
  11. John from Alabama

Jack: The more you have the more you want, but after 60 years on this earth I would just like to be out of debt. There is a difference between wants and needs. I can do without a lot of the wants, but the needs like food, shelter, clothing. and basic transportation are all I need now. I would like to think a maturing state has made me this way. Maybe God is granting me something I pray for everyday: wisdom.

August 10, 2010 at 2:07 pm |
  12. Cheryl in Bluffton, SC

As I hang on by my toenails to survive this recession, I will answer thusly: Anyone who can live comfortably without a mortgage, car payment or credit card debt is rich, no matter how much money they have!

August 10, 2010 at 2:14 pm |
  13. kim smith , Dodge City, KS.

In the land of the blind, a one-eyed man is king. You can only be rich in comparison to those around you who have less.

August 10, 2010 at 2:19 pm |
  14. Sam

I could say that no amount of money truly makes one 'rich', but I know what you're asking for, Jack. In the 21st century, financial wealth is attained by a secure private sector income of over $250,000 who has NO DEBT, saves the majority of the their money, and invests the rest of it in real estate, capital ventures, or the stock market to make loads more. Those people, and god bless whoever they are out there, are an increasing rarity as the rich get richer, the poor get poorer, and the middle class keeps shrinking. The next generation will be the first not to surpass the standard of living on their parents. But it's no surprise seeing that the current generation in charge of running the world, the Baby Boomers, are also set on ruining the world so that nobody left alive will achieve the levels of success and prosperity they were fortunate enough to have during the second half of the 20th century. We'll never see 20th century earnings and prosperity again.

August 10, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
  15. Kevin in Dallas

If you're in the top 20%, then you're rich, so $100k+ a year means you're rich.

August 10, 2010 at 2:29 pm |
  16. Paul, Parry Sound, Ontario

Enough.

August 10, 2010 at 2:30 pm |
  17. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

Enough to feed the family and pay the bills with enugh left over at the end of the month to have an ice cream cone. We are very wealthy and it doesn't have anything to do with money just like happiness is not based on what a person has as much as what they do for others.

August 10, 2010 at 2:31 pm |
  18. pat in michigan

In my humble opinion .If you have enough money to give to a politician to influence decisions that get you richer at the expense of the poorer then your too damn rich!

August 10, 2010 at 2:33 pm |
  19. Lisa in San Jose

How much money makes you rich?
    If you can make your house payments for your area's median house,
    and make car payments on your area's most popular level of car,
    and pay the insurance on the above,
    and pay for your family's health-insurance,
    and pay for your kid's college education,
    and pay for home-cooked food and clothing that is average for your area,
    and still have money left over for charities, political contributions, vacations, and other 'discretionary purchases',
    (or could have all those things if you hadn't foolishly purchased above the local median level of house or car),
    then you are rich.

August 10, 2010 at 2:40 pm |
  20. Ken in Pinon Hills, California

When you can pay for food, clothing , shelter, and health care, now and for the rest of your life.

August 10, 2010 at 2:42 pm |
  21. Paul Austin, Texas

To be rich I guess will vary by each individual. Rich would mean to me to be able to pay cash for everything I need or wanted and even did not need. It is hard in this day and age to put a number on it but to be able to pay for everything with cash on hand would most likely mean you would need at least 2 million a year income from whatever the source. I would be happy with much less like 200k like you make Jack.

August 10, 2010 at 2:44 pm |
  22. Leslie

Money does not make you rich. Love,Life and happiness does. Although money does not hurt so I will say 300 trillion.

August 10, 2010 at 2:45 pm |
  23. Joe in VA

R = CAI x 2

R = Rich
    CAI = current annual income.

Chatham, VA

August 10, 2010 at 2:48 pm |
  24. chris

wekk dreaming it would be millions and millions but in reality i would take 80,ooo per year if i was not working or getting paid by taxpayers

August 10, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
  25. Jim S

Enough money to live comfortably on with good health and a happy family. That's rich Jack and it's too bad that so many idiots out there don't realize it until it's too late. America has become a obsessively materialistic society that's spoiled and fat and lazy. Kind of reminds me of Rome. What's next?

August 10, 2010 at 2:54 pm |
  26. Hank

The $367 I received this week in unemployment

August 10, 2010 at 2:54 pm |
  27. Greg, Hamilton Ontario

If your talking about money I think Chris Rock got it right when he talked about Shaq. Shaq (like most pros) are well off. The people that pay their salaries are rich. If your a politician you can pretend to be rich because you can spend tons of money on nothing and not worry about it. Personally I wouldn't give up my healthy knees and back for Shaqs money and I wouldn't give up my values and ability to sleep at night to be a politician. I guess it's the way you look at things. If god wants me to be even richer my lottery ticket will come in.

August 10, 2010 at 2:54 pm |
  28. southerncousin

Interesting question. Rich has become more of a political classification. If you have a sense of personal repsonsibility and try to plan your life the liberals consider you as rich. If you take drugs, watch t.v. all day, hate work and avoid it at all costs, don't pay your taxes and blame everybody else for all of your problems, then you are a liberal and poor. If you are a union member, work for half a day for a weeks pay, have outrageously expensive medical insurance, get 9 months of vacation a year, plus 3 months sick leave and make three times the pay of a non union member for doing 1/100th of the work, you are liberal and poor according to the liberals.

August 10, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
  29. Paul in Florida

The cost of a trip to Spain should qualify to be 'rich'.

August 10, 2010 at 3:07 pm |
  30. Jason

According to the Obama administration if you have a job you are rich and need to pay more taxes to support everyone without a job.

August 10, 2010 at 3:09 pm |
  31. Joan

A couple of bucks. So my husband and I can drive over on a hot summer evening to pick up a couple of twist ice cream cones. Can't get any wealthier than that.

August 10, 2010 at 3:10 pm |
  32. Kevin, Chester Springs, PA

A net worth somewhere between Wolf Blitzer and Warren Buffet.

August 10, 2010 at 3:11 pm |
  33. Ed from Port Aransas, TX

I hope I'm not rich. As Jesus explained, "And again I say unto you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." (Matt 19:24)

Ed
    Port Aransas

August 10, 2010 at 3:11 pm |
  34. Patti Williams

Enough to pay my bills, buy groceries and gas and not ever worry about either.

August 10, 2010 at 3:14 pm |
  35. Sylvia from San Diego

Depends on where one lives... If you live in California like I do, you need millions to not just for your family but to subsidized the bloated and ineffective government and union leaches!!!

August 10, 2010 at 3:15 pm |
  36. Brent, Cleveland, OH

Enough so that it actually makes sense to vote Republican.

So that would have to be at least $1 million.

August 10, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
  37. Michael H. in Albuquerque, NM

Most billionaires are up to their ears in debt and live on borrowed money. If you have no debts and have two cents to rub together you are richer than most billionaires. I have no debts, own my house, cars, motorcycle, closets full of stuff, an easy job, and good health. I got mine and I'm happy. That's rich!

August 10, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
  38. Wilhelm von Nord Bach

my wife and I are retired and have a liquid net worth of just under one million. obviously we're not "poor" BUT we also don't feel "rich" either esp with the spector of inflation on the horizon and the potential medical problems associated with getting old.

I would have to say that John McCain was pretty much correct when he said you needed $5 million + to be "rich" in this day and age because with "relatively risk free" investments like US government bonds only yielding 3%, you need at least that much in a retirement account for a good after tax income.

August 10, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
  39. Mac from Vacaville

If you still think enormous amounts of cash make you rich, you will never get any sleep at night. Enjoy the small things of life like cheap movie rentals from Netflix, the dollar menus from various restaurants, and the good parking spot close to the grocery store. Getting that special parking spot can really bring some joy to your life.

August 10, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
  40. Bizz Quarryville, Pennsylvania

Jack I think people who make $250,000 to 1,000,000 are well off and live very comfortable. People who made one million and more a year are rich. Multi millionaires and billionaires are wealthy. The rich and the wealthy live by different rules. They have tax shelters they can hide behind and buy their way out of jail. Where the rest of us are overtaxed and would lose everything defending themselves in a court of law. If you are a former New York city mayor and your daughter gets caught shoplifting everything is forgiven. Or a TV Star with a high rated show can stay out of jail for assaulting his wife. But if you are a common smock like me you would be in jail waiting your trial.

August 10, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
  41. thom richer

A steady income that pays the bills, buys or provides health care, affords a comfortable maintained home, retirement plan and allows one to put some money in the bank for education of our sons and daughters. Basically, being paid a fair and living wage for our labor should be enough for anyone and deserved by everyone.

Thom Richer
    Negaunee, MI

August 10, 2010 at 3:41 pm |
  42. gordon

More than I need to buy my next chile rellenos.

Las Cruces, NM

August 10, 2010 at 3:46 pm |
  43. Joan B

Money does not make you rich. Being a honest, decent, & having high morals makes you a rich person. Respect of others is more important than greenbacks.
    Every area is different as to the cost of living as well. New York City would cost much more to live than Ames, Iowa.
    Joan
    Mn

August 10, 2010 at 3:46 pm |
  44. diridi

In a plain simple sense, you make more money, you end up paying more to IRS. why making more money? Just relax, and enjoy the life. The dude who wants to donate lately 4.6 billion dollars eat the same, stays in the same A/C. Right???? Be honest, just work hard, and be an American and help the nation....

August 10, 2010 at 3:49 pm |
  45. Andres Saenz(ABQ, NM)

I would say anyone whose net worth is at least $1M is rich! Or anyone who has already finished making mortgage payments and has plenty of money remaining in investments and liquid accounts.

August 10, 2010 at 3:50 pm |
  46. Lori - PA

Jack,

Depnds on how much debt a person is in and it depnds on where a person lives.

August 10, 2010 at 3:53 pm |
  47. Robbert Spads

How rich is rich? Easy. It's enough money to manipulate the lives of others directly, or, through Local, State, and/or, Federal Government., but not enough to actually improve the lives of others. There never seems to be enough money for that.

August 10, 2010 at 3:58 pm |
  48. Dennis north Carolina

I would say a yearly income of $250,000.00 or plus after taxes would make you rich on the bottom of the list but a still a good living.

August 10, 2010 at 3:58 pm |
  49. Ed from California

That depends Jack, on how much you spend!

August 10, 2010 at 3:58 pm |
  50. David Alexandria, VA

Gee, Jack, it must be $250K per year. Because, after you work your butt off, take the risks others won't, live within your means, create jobs with benefits, pay a whalloping amount in taxes, sacrifice a lot and finally start seeing some real income, the government decides that the 60% you pay in federal, state, and local taxes is not enough and that you just haven't paid your fair share. You also must be rich then because you are now part of a 2-3% demograpic which just doesn't matter one bit to the politicians. But, wait, there's more - if you do this long enough, you commit the ultimate sin of richness - you die. And your reward is to have most of what you've accumulated confiscated. Now that's rich.

August 10, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
  51. dennis from Minneapolis, MN

Of course this question is subjective. You are "rich" if you have the necessary assets and cash flow relative to the cost of living to live a life that makes you unconcerned about money. For some people it might be a hundred million dollars, for others it might being able to afford a good down payment on a house.

August 10, 2010 at 4:06 pm |
  52. Melissa

$100,000 a year would make me comfortable. $250,000 would make me rich beyond my wildest dreams.

August 10, 2010 at 4:14 pm |
  53. David from Herndon, VA

Depends on where you live. I can tell you for a fact that $250,000 a year is not rich in Northern Virginia. Maybe closer to a million a year.

August 10, 2010 at 4:19 pm |
  54. Jane in CA

Having enough money to not have to worry about having enough money.

August 10, 2010 at 4:19 pm |
  55. john .......marlton nj

In the politics of envy, RICH is when you have more than those in office.

August 10, 2010 at 4:20 pm |
  56. Davec41

How much would made me rich? Enough to make a glitzy in Spain for me and thirty or so close friends. Enough to retire after four years with full pay and benefits from a part-time job like congress. Enough to hire someone else to spill a drink for me. and on and on

August 10, 2010 at 4:28 pm |
  57. Eric Platt

When you don't try to answer this question you are rich.

August 10, 2010 at 4:30 pm |
  58. JIMMY

accroding to mccain,$7 million but i would be rich if i could just get a entreprenurial loan.. but all the money available from the bailout went to the shareholders who never work just repress the efforts of locals..so i guess a cool million still makes a man happy...but , unfortunately billionaires in the 3rd world are negatively influencing our lives while we have to volunteer to solve problems elsewhere while the rich literally buy off our politicians...so, $2 million. 1 mill for the fuedal landlord and 1 mill for the things that contribute to a 1st world quality life

August 10, 2010 at 4:34 pm |
  59. Rich McKinney, Texas

That depends on who you ask and what your definition of rich is. making 250,000 a year does not make you rich if your knee deep in debt. people tend to live just at or just beyond their means. Get sick and that quarter million is gone in a heart beat. Get married same thing especially if you have children.. Being rich is only a state of mind. Some of the poorest people i know have been some of the happiest and what they were lacking in wealth they made up for in spirit and heart.

August 10, 2010 at 4:35 pm |
  60. Brian

Jack,

In the United States? At least $5 million, mostly to cover outlandish health care costs when I'm older.

In Britain, Canada or any other civilized nation? Maybe $1 million or so.

Brian
    Boise, Idaho

August 10, 2010 at 4:37 pm |
  61. Addeline - GA

It all depends on where you live and how much you owe as to how much makes one rich. Many small business owners employ other people and make over $250,000 but should not be considered rich!!! To fall into the "rich" category it should be someone who is debt free – and has acquired many assets and material things and still has money to burn. That's "rich" in my book.

August 10, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
  62. Lewis, Nashville,TN

Enough to pay my bills each month, buy food, save some each pay day and maybe splurg on something every few weeks. I'm Rich!

August 10, 2010 at 4:47 pm |
  63. Arnold MI

About $10 Million would hold me over unless the stock market crashed.

August 10, 2010 at 4:49 pm |
  64. Kyle Irvine, CA

Being able to make enough money to cover your overhead qualifies as being rich in this economy.

August 10, 2010 at 4:50 pm |
  65. Judie Wm's -- El Lago TX

Something to ponder......I just would like some breathing room in the finance dept. myself.

We've read the stories where a person seemingly "has it all", yet has nothing....morality, family, friends, integrity, belief in someone greater than himself, etc........

I'll just keep trying to bloom where I am planted........

August 10, 2010 at 4:52 pm |
  66. Gary H. Boyd

Jack, I think a gazillion oughta do it. Awhile back it was a million, then a billion and currently it's a trillion. So, compensating for inflation, I think a gazillion would be about right.

Gary in Scottsdale, Arizona

August 10, 2010 at 4:57 pm |
  67. Phil in Port St Lucie, Florida

Jack, it all depends on what you're used to spending!
    A typical middle class family, could be very happy just receiving $200k a year.
    Families that use their "plastic" all the time; who could possibly say.

August 10, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
  68. Loren

Money doesn't make you rich. Only love makes you rich.

August 10, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
  69. Ray in Nashville

Just enough to buy congress, Jack. Just enough to buy congress.

August 10, 2010 at 5:03 pm |
  70. Chris, Bronx, NY

As long as you're debt free, you have room to make power moves.
    You know what we forget in this conversation are two critical points.
    #1, The taxes would roll back to what they were under President Clinton.

#2, If DEMS vote to let tax cuts end on the top 2%, they are also raising taxes on themselves.......Most of congress has private businesses on the side, and most of them are making more than 250k per year. In fact, half of congress, both DEM, and REPUB, are actually wealthy.
    Yes McCain, Pelosi, even the President, are millionaires. I think it's brave and should be acknowledged that these people will vote for taxes to go up on themselves first.

August 10, 2010 at 5:04 pm |
  71. MNResident

I am from Minnesota, and Gubenatorial Candidate Mark Dayton is running on making the rich pay their "fair share". However, you can't touch Dayton's fortune because is sits in a "charitable trust" that pays him a relative pittance in "salary". Based on this, I would say that if you are rich enough to set up a "charitable trust fund" large enough to pay you an allowance in the six figures, you are rich....

August 10, 2010 at 5:04 pm |
  72. Annie, Atlanta

I could survive quite well for the rest of my life on a cool million.

August 10, 2010 at 5:06 pm |
  73. Jerry Jacksonville, Fl.

If you didn't have two nickels to rub together than a hundred dollars might make you feel rich, I guess it depends on what you have and what it would take to elevate you up to the next level, say from having a hundred thousand or so to a million or so

August 10, 2010 at 5:07 pm |
  74. ken from connecticut

Jack, A person is rich when they can sustain themselves conservatively for the rest of their lives without working another day, without gov't help.
    A person is rich when they no longer have to think about money.
    A foolish person is never rich.

August 10, 2010 at 5:08 pm |
  75. Ralph Spyer

You are better off to be born poor and then become rich, you will still enjoy a hot dog over T bone , you will apprecite what you have much more. If you are born filthy rich and then become pool you might end up just filthy

August 10, 2010 at 5:08 pm |
  76. Rodney from Little Rock

August 10, 2010 at 5:08 pm |
  77. Joe R - Houston

There was a time when truly rich people like John D. Rockefeller had enough money to pay off the national debt with a personal check. Since then the FED has devalued the dollar to the extent that old John D. would need something like 20 trillion to do the same thing today. If the FED continues it's current practice of devaluing the currency, within the next 10 or so years 20 trillion may not be enough to buy a one term congressperson. So any amount of money I'd mention today would have to have a COLA built in to offset future Keynesian problem solving, but let's start with 20 trillion.

August 10, 2010 at 5:10 pm |
  78. jacob

A quick fact-check, Jack. It's $200k for individuals and $250 for families as per the president. That falls in line with the average of the numbers you used.
    I would be more than happy with $100k a year. However, realistically I could be more than comfortable on $70k or $80k.

August 10, 2010 at 5:12 pm |
  79. Anthony from Swedesboro, NJ

I've been around the world and believe that our even our most impoverished citizens live a far better life than billions of foreigners. No other country provides a social safety-net the likes of ours. Their is no starvation, diseases, abnormal birth fatalities, infrastructure disasters, or ecological mass fatalities as in so many of these other countries.
    So I would say that just being born in this country makes you a rich and fortunate person. To what degree is on you since we provide all the tools to succeed.

August 10, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  80. Mark, Oklahoma City

Whatever amount of money it would take to enable me to take a four day trip to Spain and back would probably cover it.

August 10, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  81. Michael Gonzales

Easy, When you have enough money that you can live your lifestyle you want without working or have enough money you never have to worry about little things like losing your home, food or giving your children or yourself your basic needs.

August 10, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  82. Dave

Jack,
    At this point, I would feel rich with the $275 a week extended unemployment benefit the the president signed into law almost 3 weeks ago. The state of Florida can't seem to figure out how to get this federally-funded money to those who are eligible. What do those people do all day?? Please give me one of those state jobs and I will help figure out to get the money to the people.

Dave
    St. Augustine, FL

August 10, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  83. Scott Stodden

I Belive That Its People Who Are Making $250,000 Or More A Year That President Obama Wants To Raise Taxes On And That's The Right Thing To Do Because The More You Make The More You Should Have To Pay In That's The American Way! Would You Ask Someone Who Doesn't Make That Much To Pay More Taxes Than Someone Who Makes More Than You? It Doesn't Make Sense, When We Turn Back To The Day's Of The Clinton's Then Maybe Everybody Will Understand The Day's When The Rich Paid More, The Economy Was Growing, Unemployment Was At A All Time Low, Jobs Were Plentiful, Relations With Other Countries Were Good, Etc.... Get My Drift Hillary? We Need You In 2012 Madame Secretary!

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

August 10, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  84. andyz

Jack, with all of the uncontrollable factors involved you won't know until you either find yourself in a medical emergency and you can't pay or you want that one last vacation and find you can't afford it. That's when one can answer this question.

August 10, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  85. Steve

For people my age. 26, I think we've all come to terms with the fact we will work our entire lives. I will never be rich, the gap between middle class and upper has grown so far its unattainable.

Steve
    Guam

August 10, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  86. Barbara from Los Angeles

I think rich is relative to whatever your present needs seem to be.

If I had a very sick husband, or a 4-person family with a sick child, I guess I'd think RICH would be "more than enough money to keep the house, pay all the medical bills, put the other kids through school, and let me one day retire on an income that allows me to breathe easily."

But since I don't have those problems to worry me, RICH (to me) is having enough to take my cats to the vet when they need to go, live here in a good neighborhood, pay for my Medicare supplemental policy, and cover the taxes, the groceries and keep my computer connected to the internet.

Anything beyond that would be surplus, and I'd give it to some worthy charity. I've never been greedy, and I think I'm far past the age to change my personality.

August 10, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  87. Lance, Ridgecrest, Ca

Jack, you are "rich" when you no longer have to worry about the next payday for the month, and are free to do anything that you decide you want to, at the time, without worrying about what it is going to cost. Unfortunately, there are less than 1% of these folks in this country, right now and very little hope for any significant additions. Middle america is caught in the economic decline and will be forced to cover the Washington excesses by significant tax increases, so they can't move upward. The 1% are going to move out of country to avoid the tax increases, so the "rich" are going to rapidly become an endangered species.

August 10, 2010 at 5:36 pm |
  88. Steve, Clifton, VA

he top 3 % of the country that makes more than the bottom 70 %

August 10, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
  89. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Funny Jack I just read in the NYTimes an article about people living with less material goods and getting use to it as it is not material goods that provides more happiness according to research! Now, that would not be good for the economy beside people saving more after paying down their debt and building again in America! To answer how much money makes you rich is for me counterproductive as the real question is how much money does not make you broke!

August 10, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
  90. Tory St. Simons Island, GA

I would have thought this Depression would make people more realistic as to what is rich – and that is being able to pay the mortgage, hybrid car, insurance needs, internet, cable, and food. Americans have been the most spoiled people in the world, but the times they are a-changing.

August 10, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
  91. Chuck Wright, Georgia

The New York example is a good example of what a greedy nation of individuals we have become. There is no economic security for Americans. They have to support the greedy leaders in all segments of our economy. The Corporate Leaders are just that leaders in greed. The rest of the segments are just "me too" selfish making hay while the sun shines. Corporate America is presently extorting the Federal Government before the will create jobs. Look how well they have done so far. They are willing to watch the whole thing come down like their greedy financial corporate leaders are. They are taking the economy down the drain. Big Problems ahead when they get enough people on the street.

August 10, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  92. Jim Blevins

For taxing purposes, $250,000 a year sounds like a good cutoff. However, the money changers seem to think that it takes tens of millions a year - who cares about them.

Jim, Craig, CO

August 10, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  93. A Glover Hampton VA

Simple, if I made over $250.000.000. There must be a cut off point and if President Obama said $150,000. the press would mak an issue out of it. Enough is enough!

August 10, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  94. Richard, Syracuse, NY

It less HOW much you have and more of what you can do with it. I am a Disabled Vet who lives on a very limited income and I believe I live a much better life than some friends of mine who make high salaries.

I live a far different life style than they do so it requires far less money. But I also believe I am much happier than they are.

August 10, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  95. JOE CE

Income of $500000 or more and assests of 1 million or more. Half of that and you are doing pretty well but not rich.

August 10, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  96. Jane - WI

August 10, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  97. Tom Mytoocents Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Jack

According to latest Congressional accounting everybody's money will make you just a little shy of RICH

August 10, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  98. wm in Penna

Jack,

It takes more than $250,000.00/yr.

Sen. McCain suggested 5 million.

The top 10% of U.S. citizens own 95% of everything. That is 30 million citizens who do not need to budget or ask the prices of anything they want.

300 million of us are hurting, bad.

August 10, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  99. Paulette in Dallas,PA

Being a multimillionaire would do the trick! However, I feel rich because I own my home,have money in the bank,can buy food and I have my family who are all alive and well.

August 10, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  100. Jeff In Minnesota

Rich is in the eye of the beholder. For a person with four kids in decent colleges, $250,000 just barely covers tuition and room and board, let alone living expenses. And all this $250,000 limit talk is going to do is to cap salaries at around that level. Then we'll see what they did in Britain in the 1980s with people getting compensated with cars, condos and other luxuries to get around the salary cap. You push a balloon in on one side and it balloons out some other side. If you want to change the culture, do it with some limit invoked on executive salaries being a maximum multiple of the average salary of the organization's non-executive workers. Anything above that multiple is taxed at 95% and is not deductible by the organization on their tax return. And that would include all non-monetary compensation such as cars, stock, benefits, etc. So, if the boss wants a raise, he needs to raise his workers' salaries.

August 10, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  101. Kristo

10s of millions and upwards. If you want to call yourself rich.

August 10, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  102. Rich McKinney, Texas

I don't know the answer to that one Jack. I believe that no amount of money that you have today will last you forever if you do not spend it wisely. We just saw in the last couple of years how fast investments can be wiped out when the stock market crashes. You can have all the money you think you will ever need today and then be a paulper tomorrow at the blink of an eye.

August 10, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  103. Michael Armstrong Sr. Tx.

This year 250.000 a year makes you rich next year 150.000 will make you rich each year being rich will decline until it hits the middle class .

August 10, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
  104. Gigi Oregon

Money does not make you rich. I'm still laughing...Peace of mind makes you rich. Things are what make the rich happy. And they never seem to be contented, the more they have the more they want. And if they could get it tax free it would be even better. How many of the 95 % have or will have 2 million in savings when they retire. Those who will work to death to gain that will die leaving their family well off. We have been retired for 15 years we live enjoying life, cutting back on "things", and keeping it simple with family and friends. Best job we've ever had. We actually save more now than when we worked. Life is good if it comes with peace of mind. Less is more.

August 10, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  105. Tom-Vermillion, Ohio

And to think the GOP wants to raise retirement age to 70. The average household income is in the neighborhood of $40-$50 grand. So what are they going to do?

August 10, 2010 at 6:11 pm |
  106. Ken in NC

Whatever amount it takes for me to be able to buy several congressmen of my own like Big Bussinesses do so I can get legislation set up to favor me like they do.

August 10, 2010 at 6:13 pm |
  107. Annick B.

1 billion.

August 10, 2010 at 6:13 pm |
  108. Rick

Well lets see Jack, I currently make almost 6 figures a year and I live a pretty comfortable life, in a good community, and take a summer & winter vacation with the kids each year. But I worry each month if I'm the next employee to be handed a pink slip and join the unemployment line. Further more I I don't work that life style goes away. And even though I have some pretty good investments in stock & a 401k it isn't enough yet for a retirement beyond a few years so I gotta say No... 100,000, or even 250,000 is not rich. If you have to get up and work to sustain an average middle class comfortable life... then you aint rich bub!!! Lose your job & income and see how quick you fall into poverty?

August 10, 2010 at 6:13 pm |
  109. Arielle

NOT ENOUGH!

Arielle
    New Brunswick, NJ

August 10, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
  110. Meena

Bad question, Jack. These days, you should be asking how much money makes you poor?

August 10, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
  111. Carol

I'll FEEL richer when I can afford to get the premium channels on cable!

August 10, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  112. Colin

I don't know how much makes you rich, but I do know that $200,000 and $250,000 goes a lot further in Texas than it does in San Francisco. To say individuals making more than $200,000 a year are rich no matter where they are in the nation borders on ignorance.

August 10, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  113. William from Kansas City

In my opinion, being rich doesn't always have to correspond with how much money a person makes. Someone who is rich is able to support their family, live in a decent sized home in a nice community, send their kids to college, and to retire comfortably.

August 10, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  114. Colleen in West Palm Beach FL

I would consider myself rich if I were to have a job!

August 10, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  115. William

Unless you've got your health, makes no sense in being "rich"

Bill
    Vero Beach, Fl.

August 10, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  116. David P Vernon

Tucson, AZ – A guest on J P Morgan's yacht asked what ti cost. Morgan said, "if you have to ask, you cannot afford it." Rich is not having to ask "how much?" whenever you want to buy something.

August 10, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  117. Jared McCormick

In most parts of America, any family making $250k a year is definately rich. If anyone disagrees, their family should spend a year making $50k a year and see if it changes their mind.

August 10, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  118. Bill

I believe 1 Trillion dollars is the amount of money that makes you rich.

Dacula , GA.

August 10, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  119. grady in texas

It doesn't take much, Jack. I'm wealthy enough to pay the cable bill so I can watch The Cafferty File. And healthy enough to stand it.
    cheers
    grady

August 10, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  120. Lewis

Rich? To be rich, you need your health, your sanity, good friends, a loving heart, a sunny, spiritual outlook, and a clean, safe place to live. That's rich.

August 10, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  121. Stephanie Mitchell

It isn't about money anymore, it is about peace among Americans. None of us can be truly rich with such disharmony. We must reconcile and build together. When we do, we will all be rich. If we don't, it will be the end of all wealth in America.

August 10, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  122. Stacy

If at the end of every week, after paying all my bills, I have enough left over for a six pack and a pizza, I'm rich.

August 10, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  123. Peter from Kansas

I would consider myself rich, if I can wake up everyday and go off to work without having to fear losing my job.

August 10, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  124. Chris Astoyan

Jack,

It's not a matter of how much money that makes you rich, but it's about how wisely you use your money. If you have one million dollars in your savings, and about 200,000 in your savings, your rich! Just don't go around on a shopping spree everyday.

Chris from CA

August 10, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  125. Reuben / Canada

Jack:
    If you have a paid for roof over your head,can eat well live a modest life style and are in good health.

You are rich

Reuben/saskatchewan/canada

August 10, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  126. Pete Huttlinger

Jack – Wolf nailed it when he said "It depends on your definition of rich." For me being rich means having good health for me and my family, happiness and enough money to pay the bills. If I had 12 million dollars and none of the rest, what would be the point? PJH

August 10, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  127. Tom in Howell, N.J.

You know what Jack, I don't know what makes anyone feel rich, but i do kow that five bucks is an awful lot of money, if you don't have it!

August 10, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  128. Stephen from Florida

Personally, Jack, I feel that money does not make you rich at all. Think of it this way, almost like the way Prime Minister Vladimir Putin views it, "This is true. I am the richest person not only in Europe, but also in the world. I collect emotions. And I am rich in that respect that the people of Russia have twice entrusted me with leadership of such a great country as Russia. I consider this to be my biggest fortune. As for the rumours concerning my financial wealth, I have seen some pieces of paper regarding this. This is plain chatter, not worthy discussion, plain bosh. They have picked this in their noses and have smeared this across their pieces of paper. This is how I view this."
    Your greatest fortune is not money.

August 10, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  129. David From San Diego

Rich to me is, when one has zero debt. Owns everything...home(s), car(s) and has at least a million dollars per family member or more invested so to live off of the income.

But being really rich is to have your health and happiness with no worries !

August 10, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  130. Shelli

The way this economy is going, I fear my family will always be struggling with day-to-day needs. My husband builds cars for an auto company and one day they're going strong, the next they're threatening to close his plant. It's an ongoing nightmare. I can only dream that we will someday be able to save more towards our retirement years. Making ends meet is rich-enough.. as long as we can keep food on our table and the bills paid!

August 10, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  131. Tiffany

Aparently$260,000 makes you rich. That’s how much my fiance and I make combined. Can you belive 10,000.01 is keeping us from getting married? Well it’s true. The tax cut extension is bitter sweet for us. If it’s extended, we’ll continue to excape heavy taxes, if it’s cut, I get to get married!

August 10, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  132. Sage

Depends on where you are in this country.

May be $10M in New York, but $1M in Iowa.

I am in neither state but will fell rich with $100M

August 10, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  133. Simeon

Jack, even with the time value of money, if I can share your CNN retirement, I'll consider myself rich.

August 10, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  134. el don Rodrigo

Well Jack,

Lots of dough but more importantly health, faith and love. It's like my grand-daddy said to me, " son money can't buy you love but it sure puts a big down payment on life!"

el don Rodrigo
    San Jose, CA

August 10, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  135. Robert benko

Not sure on what amount of money makes a person rich but I do know that if one learns to be content with the things they are blessed with then your truly rich indeed.

August 10, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  136. ben

NO money in the world makes you rich unless you are greatful for what you have and Thank GOD everyday for it.

August 10, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  137. shelly

Jack, Enough money to keep a roof over my head. The electric on. The car running so I can go to work. Food on the table for my daughter. And a couple bucks to buy my Mother a card.

August 10, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  138. James in Idaho

Jack, your guess is as good as mine. It seems it's different from one person to the next. I think I have it figured out though; Rich is the money you have, three times what I make over a year, that you spend entirely on yourself, as you cruise around secure in your money, and call me a lazy freeloader that just whines about your money because I'm jealous of your freedoms.

Bill Gates for example makes enough money to fill my house and all the houses on my block, in one year, but does not point the finger at me and call me a lazy whinign freeloader, but if I blame the rich I dont' include him because of that, along with the fact taht he's a philanthropist.

Bernie Maddoff on the other hand is a greedy rich sob and other colorful metaphors you wont read on air. Right now, the American Public sees people in washington as Bernie Maddoff Rich rather than Bill gates Rich.

As with any money squabble, it's not how much money is involved, but how it is misused at any given time.

August 10, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  139. Paul

Let's just say anyone making $250,000 a year or more in my books is extremely rich. Considering how many people nowadays have a growing hatred for the wealthy, I would say they would be better to shut up and just deal with the extra taxes. Believe me, the poor, educated people of the US are completely over fighting for scraps, just because they weren't born into a wealthy family.

August 10, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  140. Mike in St. Paul

You're rich if you own a lobbyist. You're wealthy if you own a congressman. You're untouchable if you own a bank or insurance MNC.

August 10, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  141. Yvonne

40 acres and a mule.

August 10, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  142. Alan Webb

I'm semi-retired, (read that as unemployable at my age) not because I want to but because I have to. I'd be rich if I sold all my belongings, took my savings and took a ship to some obscure island like the one that Tom Hanks was stranded on. Then I guess I'd be King of a few square miles of sand somewhere in the Asian Pacific. But then I guess that might not be all that bad at that...

August 10, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  143. Brian J

All the money in the world can't make you rich.
    I resent the fact that some money-centric society has appropriated the word, 'Rich'. I am cash-poor, but I consider myself Rich, and always have. My mother used to tell me that anybody who lives on credit is "poor", no matter how much stuff they have.

August 10, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  144. trung

If you live near San Francisco that number is close to half a million a year. A $100000/yr doesn't go very far. Oddly 8 years ago 100000/yr would have put you in the upper middle class not anymore.

August 10, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  145. Truson Organics

Health is wealth Jack...health is wealth.

August 10, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  146. Natalie L

As an elementary teacher in NC, I'd feel rich making anything more than I currently make. Our salaries haven't risen a penny in 3 years...doesn't there seem to be something wrong with that?

August 10, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  147. Paul R

Pay off you bills save hard for 6 months afeter the bills are paid off and live like you feel comforable. Rich is not in the $$ but in what you have as a Family.

August 10, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  148. Mike Lewis

President Obama needs only to talk to those who live in DC metro where he resides. Earning $250K for a family of four hardly is rich or even anywhere close. If you live in DC, private school is a must. The better schools mean a family pays $40K a year for two kids. To live in a decent neighborhood places the home price over $1 million. Throw in a reasonable retirement savings, with a big mortgage, education cost, local and/or state taxes, and monthly expenditures, what little is left is hardly "rich" and certainly leaves little for summer vacations to places like Spain.

August 10, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  149. randall

How much money makes you rich? Why should we not say "how much money makes you finincially independent?" To me being rich is having a friend. A true friend is forever, money is not. And you can tell Barack that $200,00 does not make one rich nor does it make one financially independent.

August 10, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  150. Jon in NY

Having a good happy life makes me feel rich, not the amount of money I make. I've always been disturbed by those who have more then others and feel that because they have more then they must be better. It's those same people who feel that because they have more, then they don't need to contribute as much as those who have less then them.

August 10, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  151. Brian

Jack,

This is a very interesting question. In my opinion, no specific amount of money makes you rich. Rich is based solely on how the individual defines it. I live in Washington D.C. and make less than $35K a year. However, my expenses – including taxes, are 17K. I've been able to purchase two homes in the United States and one abroad (Costa Rica), but by any "standard" my annual salary is relatively low – especially for somebody living in the Washington D.C. area. If you live within your means and make educated purchases with your dispensable income, you can become rich – regardless!

Brian
    Friendship Heights N.W.
    Washington D.C.

August 10, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  152. Donald J. Glidden Jr.

“Not another minute will your money buy (Dust in the wind/Kansas).
    "Most sincerely",
    DONNIE Salem Mass.
    EST. 1626

August 10, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  153. David

Money doesn't make you rich. It doesn't matter how much money people have they still seem to think they need more. If you base your wealth off money you'll never be rich. I don't have much money, but I am one of the richest people I know. My brother has even less money then me but, he is the richest man I know.

August 10, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  154. Jurgen R. Brul

Hello Jack Cafferty and CNN friends,

Paper Money does Not make me Rich.
    What Really makes me Rich is
    a Large Quantity of Real American Gold!

Barack Hussein Obama, President of the United States,
    Must Immediately Improve the Well-being of ALL Americans,
    otherwise there is no the United States of America!

Greetings,
    Jurgen R. Brul

August 10, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  155. Ann from Charleston SC

Since being rich is not one of my life goals, I don't know and don't care how much money makes you rich. Being rich is having friends and being at peace with oneself.

August 10, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  156. Michael Armstrong Sr. Tx.

How would Jesus answer this question .

August 10, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  157. Mark from Boston

Jack,

It depends. In this economy, I would say 1 million in gold bullion, but I prefer Krugerrand. In fiat currency:

3 million Canadian Dollars
    20,000,000 RMB (Chinese Yuan)

You can't print enough DOLLARS for me to be comfortable. I might wake up and Congress prints another 20 trillion and just like that and apple is $9,000.

August 10, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  158. Lyn

I can' t fathom being in the top 2% of the wealthy. I would like to even be one of the people getting $250.000.00 a year income.
    By the way, I haven't heard Obama say anyting about those people being rich if they make $250,000 a year. You have to cut it off someplace. What's the matter Jack, are you one of the 2% or something? Please be a nice media guy and don't belittle out new President. He is a top of the line guy.

August 10, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  159. gary saari

Beauty might be in the eye of the beholder, but money is measured by several means. It's unfortunate that the concept of being rich is also measured be several means, but those who consider themselves wealthy often are utilizing their frailty of greed in their consideration as to their status. Many years ago I wrote down one of my favorite sayings. It goes like this. "The truest indication of success in life is not measured in monetary gain, social status, or the number of sexual encounters you had. True success is measured by the number of times you have made others happy and the number of times you have found happiness yourself."

August 10, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  160. David Early

A good friend and good health!

August 10, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  161. Bob Ridder

Memphis TN. has a lower cost of living then a lot of the larger cities in the southeast but with two children in medical school and trying to pay off their college loans, our combined income of 300K a year leaves us enough at the end of the month to see a movie if we go to the early / low cost showing.

August 10, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  162. A. in DFW

Having more money than you can spend is the best definition. If you have a penny and want to spend no money then you are rich. If you have millions and want to spend billions then you are not rich.

August 10, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  163. girts kacens

I spend less than what I make, that makes me rich

August 10, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  164. kathy s

I am a 64 year old California widow. My husband and I saved and put away when others were buying in the 80's and 90's. Thank God he did not have to see what happened to our 27 years of saving. The market ate 50% of our IRAs, back to a 30% loss now. My "widow's condo" has been
    revalued at 1/4 of the purchase price. I live carefully. I am too old and have no skills to return to work full time. I volunteer and worry. Our retirement was going to be a wonderful time, instead it is miserable.

August 10, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  165. Tina, Ark

In order to live comfortable in Arkansas, I say 75,000/year would make me rich. Living here making less then 20,000/year in one of the poorest states is hard. If the politicians would stop looting to the elite and preying on the poor, this nonsense would stop.

August 10, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
  166. Denise

My husband took "early retirement" and we bought a 100-year-old farmhouse on the Atlantic coast of Nova Scotia. Every morning we watch the sun rise over the Atlantic, we share our 3 acres with wildlife, we eat fresh, chemical-free food from our garden, we have our health, and we go to bed every night honestly tired. Are we rich? We think so. "Needs" and "wants" are two very different things.

Denise
    Western Head, Nova Scotia, Canada

August 10, 2010 at 6:38 pm |
  167. JK

If one can live their current lifestyle without working for 10 years, then I would consider that person rich.

August 10, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  168. Allen, Texas

Jack,I feel rich right now. My children are old enough, healthy, have their own careers, and families. They've bought homes near "Pop" and I get to spend time with my grandchildren anytime I want. To me, that's being rich.

August 10, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  169. Tom Bias

Enough to pay the bills, provide for a few months income at currently monthly expenses, and enough to provide a few creature comforts.
    What makes one rich? The answer is relative to each of our situations.
    Perhaps the Apostle Paul got it right, when he says, "I've learned to be content in whatever situation I find myself."
    Title : The Holy Bible, New King James Version
    Edition : Third
    Copyright : Copyright © 1979, 1980, 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. All rights reserved. Electronic Edition STEP Files Copyright © 1998, Parsons Technology, Inc.

Philippians 4:11-12 ( NKJV )
    Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:
    I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

August 10, 2010 at 6:46 pm |
  170. Gary Wayne Hall Harlan, Kentucky

I wouldn't know. I'm not a materialistic heathen like everyone around me in this sea of insane people that mom and I are drowning in.

August 10, 2010 at 6:52 pm |