June 2nd, 2010

How do you define 'job' in 2010?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

The good news is: Jobs are finally starting to come back... the bad news: they're not the kind of jobs many Americans are used to.

CNNMoney.com reports that many new jobs out there are temporary or contract positions instead of traditional full-time jobs with benefits.

And employers can afford to do this... because with unemployment at nearly 10 percent... there are people lined up willing to take any kind of work they can find.

It's estimated that in the next 10 years more than 40 percent of jobs could be such temporary positions; and that within the next few decades, full-time employees might become the minority of workers in this country. That means most workers won't have benefits like health care, paid vacation and retirement plans - all things many of us have taken for granted for years and years.

Some temporary workers suggest that employers are taking advantage of the weak labor market... and make them feel like 2nd class citizens... we'll find out just how weak that labor market is with a big jobs report due out Friday.

But the fact of the matter is that major changes in demographics also make it easier for employers to rely on temporary workers or independent contractors. For example, lots of younger people are okay with the idea of not being tied to one employer.

Also, with baby boomers becoming eligible for Medicare... they don't need to depend on their employer for health care.

Finally, it's worth pointing out that President Obama's health care plan will require employers to provide health benefits for employees - but not for contractors.

That translates to huge savings for employers who hire fewer full-time workers.

Here’s my question to you: How do you define "job" in 2010?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Kevin in Florida writes:
J.O.B. = Just Over Broke. With unemployment rising and an administration doing nothing about it, I see most of us begging in welfare lines. It's time the working and middle class make yet another big American stand and send all of these people packing in Nov. before it's too late!

Michael in New Mexico writes:
What you described as the current situation is what I have been living with since 1976 when I first entered the workforce. I worked in kitchens for 30 years. I had no benefits. I had no regular schedule. I had no livable wage. I had jobs, too many to remember, that used me up and threw me out. Currently I am a security guard. Same deal as before.

Jayne writes:
A job is that place you used to go to at 8 o'clock in the morning and stay until 5, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year. Now it's that place far, far away where the Chinese worker – possibly a child – works at your job for 18 hours a day, 7 days a week, for a small percentage of your former salary and without benefits. The wealthy CEO, by the way, still has his job and probably got a 6 figure bonus for outsourcing yours.

T.S. writes:
Is this not a good trend? Did anyone believe we would go from posting job losses to job gains without a period where we had to adjust? Give me a break. Will it go back to exactly how it was? Probably not, but as always we will adjust.

Kay in Camarillo, California writes:
Jack, Any work that pays a person's bills and keeps them out of bankruptcy!

P.S. – Those employers who claim that an "employee" is really an "independent contractor" should count on a visit from the IRS. Falsely classifying an employee as a contractor carries hefty penalties.

Mark in Houston writes:
Jack, When used as a transitive verb, it's exactly what Congress and its related cronies have done to this country.

Scott in Ft. Bragg, North Carolina writes:
Jack, The answer is simple. Ozzie and Harriet don't live here anymore. Neither does their culture.

Filed under: Recession • Unemployment • Unemployment / Economy
  1. pat in michigan

Half the paycheck .Double the abuse!

June 2, 2010 at 1:55 pm |
  2. Norm

A job is an opportunity to use your God-given talent to add creativity and originality to a work environment in exchange for a reasonable wage. A job is not about slavery, an equal widgets or lifestyles under a tyrant or dictator. The job should have challenge, respect, honesty, integrity, truth and reason. Above all, it must provide a place where people can grow beyond what they are without someone else charting the entire course for them. Any accountability must be fair, reasoned and consistent.

June 2, 2010 at 2:02 pm |
  3. wayne

Well Mr. Cafferty, in today's world with massive unemployment, I define job as 'just having one.'

June 2, 2010 at 2:03 pm |
  4. Rick McDaniel

Whatever you can find to do, that puts food on the table.

That means primarily, significant underemployment, if you can find any employment at all.

Most people who have lost jobs, have had to settle for far less, to find any work at all.

Meanwhile, Obama now turns his attention to jobs rhetoric (not actual jobs), after 18 mos., and millions of unemployed.

The question is, when will we really see any significant improvement....because all government has done so far, is spend taxpayer dollars to shore up badly run industries........which has helped to some extent, but not as much as it cost in wasted dollars.

June 2, 2010 at 2:05 pm |
  5. John from Alabama

Jack: A job is defined as a monthly or weekly pay check to pay those items needed to survive. The job might not be 40 hours a week type job, or it might mean working 80 hours to get paid for 40 hours a week. The recession is deeper than most people realized, and it will not be until December 2010 the job figures get better.

June 2, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
  6. JENNA

How do you define "job" in 2010?

My "job" is looking for EMPLOYMENT.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

June 2, 2010 at 2:13 pm |
  7. Susan Frost

Any activity that feeds my cats, pays my bills and doesn't get me jail time.

Susan
    Tuscaloosa, AL

June 2, 2010 at 2:20 pm |
  8. Kevin in Dallas

Someone pays you to do something. That was easy.

June 2, 2010 at 2:21 pm |
  9. Stanley

Jack, I would like to define a job as being to able to put bread on the table for you and your family. If you don't have the means to do that, then you don't have a job.

June 2, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
  10. Eugene Myers Flat, CA

Jobs in 2010 are the one's left that haven't been outsourced to China or India. The past 30 years of outsourcing good American jobs are catching up to Congress and it's time to pay the piper. We're in the middle of a jobless recession. Go Obamao.

June 2, 2010 at 2:41 pm |
  11. Adam Simi Valley, CA

A job is a compensated, sustainable form of employment. Meaning, it is not a private sector or government sector job subsidized by the federal government through "stimulus", "jobs" bills or any other disguised social welfare bill. There must be a future.

June 2, 2010 at 2:42 pm |
  12. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

A place to go to be able to produce havoc for many and criticize everyone while getting paid a lot of money. That sounds a lot like being an anchor on CNN. The people that can comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable without taking any responsibility for anything.

June 2, 2010 at 2:45 pm |
  13. Michael, Alexandria, VA

I am a temporary worker. While I can contribute and a 401(k), I get no employer match and the health insurance I get is so second rate, it is prohibitied when health care reform takes full effect. I am in my late 40s, so this is not a young person's issue only. Clients save by paying less benefits, however the temp agencies themselves extract upwards of $6 per hour – so temps are not necessarily cheap to the client.

June 2, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
  14. Ken New Baltimore

Not the same way the Obama Administration and Congress do. They play games with the numbers and say, "We've created or saved 'X' number of jobs." They even count parttime 3-month jobs in their numbers. They seem to consider increasing of the Government payroll as creating jobs. The day that Obama comes to Michigan and says, "I've created 'X" number + 1 jobs, equivalent to the number lost during my first 1 1/2 in office, then I'll say he knows what he's doing. In the meantime, he should get out of the way of small businesses and give them the dollars and tax cuts that are needed.

June 2, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
  15. Bill in TX

Jack,
    Greed is the order of the day.
    The wealthy have always enslaved the poor. Nothing is new.
    Corporations are NOT persons. Can you draft one? Does it pay taxes? Like the first dime FICA tax paid by we poor people. Does it die as we mortals do? A corporation is a legal fiction to give the few CEOs control of an immortal gob of money and power over we serfs.
    Jobs? Dirty word Jack. These cost money and require morals and patriotism.

June 2, 2010 at 2:54 pm |
  16. Adam Simi Valley, CA

Are you suggesting employers should not try to turn a profit, their goal is to provide "employment"? It's called supply and demand. It's how our economy was suppoed to work. When the economy is weak and unemployment is high, you try to save yourself cost and give your workforce flexibilty with temps. This isn't the Soviet Union.

When the healthcare fiasco really starts hitting home with people I would not be surprised to see employers let nearly their entire staffs go and rehire them as contractors. They should send letter to Obama and ask him how he expected them to keep their coverage if they liked it. Change we can believe in. it is a way of backdooring a government takeover of heatlhcare. Create an environment where employers have no choice but to put their employees on the taxpayers dime.

June 2, 2010 at 2:55 pm |
  17. Mike, Texas

Jack,

I retired from public education about a year ago. My performance was outstanding as a principal for 12+ years. I found out that I miss the kids and thought I could go back to work and continue to make a difference. To my surprise I have discovered that being an outstanding educator is not enough any more. I am over qualified and too expensive I guess. It is cheaper to hire an inexperienced educator because they cost about 1/2 of what I cost. Unfortunately there is no way for me to take a reduction in pay and compete with the rookies because it would mess up the pay scales.

So sad, that after amassing 25 years of knowledge and experience I can no longer provide that experience to helping kids.

June 2, 2010 at 2:57 pm |
  18. Peg from N.Y.

Today's job consists of an attitude of "get the most work you possibly can from every employee giving back as little as possible". It is almost like they hold employees hostage now. Salaries decrease rather than any consideration be given for the all too obvious cost of living increases. Healthcare requires employee contributions which often equal a "raise". Employees are viewed as easily and cheaply replaced. There is no commitment from Employers yet they expect, if not demand loyalty. Compensation in many forms is all but a thing of the past. Vacations are frowned upon. Too many people are being forced to remain in dead end jobs, just to maintain the bare minimum.
    As people lose jobs those still working gain many new "hats" with no increase, bonus, etc. The Middle Class is now the Lower Working Class.

June 2, 2010 at 2:57 pm |
  19. Maria

A job is a job is a job. I work, my employer pays me. If I work part-time, I get paid for part-time. If I work full-time I get paid more and get full benefits.

Just that simple.

Maria

Brunswick,MD

June 2, 2010 at 3:00 pm |
  20. Jill

A source of income.

June 2, 2010 at 3:12 pm |
  21. Russ in PA

Guess we'll just have to go back to a free-market system, where unemployment is typically near zero. But, of course, that means that government has to shrink, and get out of the way. Fat chance... Only Ron Paul has caught on to that fact.

June 2, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
  22. Jim

Jack,

A job is still what you do to earn a living, but never have education and skills been more important. This has never been a very friendly country to be poor in, and it's going to get worse. Those with the degrees and skills that are in demand will be fine. They'll be in a position to negotiate for the job package they want. Those who are unable or unwilling to do well in school will suffer the fate of pawns.

Jim
    Reno, Nevada

June 2, 2010 at 3:26 pm |
  23. Dan G from Ohio

A job is any money earning endeavor, legal of course. But a job does not get the economy back on track but only careers that include good pay and chances for advancement.

June 2, 2010 at 3:29 pm |
  24. Carl

Jack,

This is what our overpaid, worthless and useless politicians have, do you realize our worthless politicians get over a week off for Memorial day, what a joke they are, or, are we the joke for allowing this to go on. We can only hope that these worthless politicians ride is almost over. These idiots need to take major pay and benifit cuts right now, let them feel the pain, thieves thats all they are.

June 2, 2010 at 3:30 pm |
  25. Richard Texas

With the governments new healthcare plan it seems like fewer people will be working full time jobs. The down side to this is that people that are motivated to work and can not find full time jobs will have to drive to two different places of work each day instead of just one. That requires more gas and adds to the pollution level. It also makes it hard to car pool when you only have to work 4 hours per day. Work in 2010 and beyond is hardly worth the effort and it may just be cheaper to stay at home and let the government support you and your family. Well at least until the government is broke which it looks like won't be too far off.

June 2, 2010 at 3:34 pm |
  26. Liz, Los Angeles, CA

I define "job" in 2010 as something I cannot get despite rock-solid professional credentials, salary flexibility, intelligence, stellar references, stability, and not being a diva. Did I mention I'm 65 ....?

June 2, 2010 at 3:37 pm |
  27. Pete from Georgia

A "job" in today's America is kind of like what used to be going out on a "first date". You have no certainty of anything..............really, and most of all no idea how long the relationship............if any.............will last.
    A total crap shoot.

June 2, 2010 at 3:38 pm |
  28. Lori - PA

Jack,

What about company executives? Will their jobs become contract/temporary too? Or will they continue to be full-time employees who receive full benefits, and are extremely overpaid? My guess is that they won't allow their job to become a temporary/contract position.

I'm not okay with a temporary/contract job, not in this job market. What would I do when the job is comming to and end, and I can't line up another job?

June 2, 2010 at 3:38 pm |
  29. David Alexandria VA

Very differently, Jack. In the right light, this is a win-win. Contractors make more per hour than employees but pay more taxes and have greater responsibility (and choice) about benefits. The employers have greater control over costs and can be mnore competative with overseas manufacturers. This is not inherently evil as the government and the unions might have you believe. Given a little more time to cook and to avoid government interference, this could actually be a major, positive shift in our economy.

June 2, 2010 at 3:39 pm |
  30. bob, oshawa, ontario

Jack, "job" in 2010 will gradually begin to mean employment on a contractual basis. This trend has been coming for some time and employers are seizing the opportunity to not only choose from a large pool of workers but also to streamline their cost of operation by eliminating the need to include other job benefits such as paying any portion of health care premiums and vacations to name a few. Both auto companies and the unions were in some way responsible for demanding and receiving benefits that went far beyond providing a commensurate wage and benefits for the union members to the point where the spiraling cost of production led to near bankruptcy. The companies simply could not maintain the legacy costs mostly to retired members. The result is that other companies in the future are now learning to run lean by trimming anything that could add to labor costs.

June 2, 2010 at 3:48 pm |
  31. Bizz Quarryville, Pennsylvania

At the end of my working days Companies were already using temporary help agencies so they would not have to pay out unemployment or Health Insurance. I think Obama healthcare plan cannot be blamed entirely for causing that to happen. Right now employers know they have the working man over the barrel. But when and if things start to turn around then they will need to offer more in order to keep their employees. When I was working you always knew how the economy was doing by how you were treated at work.

June 2, 2010 at 3:50 pm |
  32. Leslie

It means that we are being forced to work two or three jobs just to make ends meat. It is sick the way that our rights have been taken advantage of and away from us. It used to be that 32 hrs was a full time work week with benefits. Now its more like you need to have 60 hrs from three jobs and no benefits to have a part time job. Employers know that if they can hire three people to do one job. They can give each one of them 20 hrs at part time pay and, they do not have to give any of them benefits plus they gain 20 hrs if you consider 40 hrs a work week. But yet the employer will say that they are creating jobs, when in actuality they are reducing their financial responsibilites in retirement, health care and workmans compensation insruance. We cannot allow employees rights to just go by the waste side. This is just another reason why our system is broken

June 2, 2010 at 3:53 pm |
  33. Gregory Tripp, Mechanicsburg, PA

Job to me is a little slice of Hell. I have a masters degree, executive experience, and have been underemployed since 1986. There is no justice or fairness in this world. No matter how hard you try to get ahead, someone is always there to remind you that Satan is alive and well and very much in control of this world. He may not sport horns and a spiked tail and quite often he is a she. But he is very real and takes on human form at least during performance evaluation time. I try to remember this, but in my human condition I find myself starting to feel pride in my work and enjoying the company of my peers in spite of its degrading nature, untill performance evaluation time comes. No one knows the power of one done correctly better than I, I used to design them and train managers how to conduct them. Sadly the performance review has become a tool of the Devil designed to demotivate, deflate, and derail the best intending and potentially best employee. Is it worth part-time at less than $10/hour to be annually humiliated? I bite my lip in public and smash some furniture especially meant to relieve stress at home. The review's goal should be to uplift and encourage employees to new standards of excellence, but when was the last time anyone felt that after a review? At least a bad review is marginally better than being falsely accused of molesting a mentally handicapped and having that career ripped from your heart while your reputation is dragged through the mud by some lying bastards jealous of your skill and capacity. I speak from experience and lack of recourse. You know, life wouldn't be half bad with several select fewer people in it.

June 2, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
  34. Rob in NC

Jobs are what students get. Careers are what people need. Unfortunately, many careers do not exist and probably won't again. Those of us that have a career are having benefits, pay, and security removed. We can't complain or we could be out on the street soon as well. Rob in NC

June 2, 2010 at 3:59 pm |
  35. ~BEVERLY~Mystic,Iowa

It's difficult to define right now. Everything these days is unpredictable, & in a state of flux, thanks to those unprincipled Republicans. Their tax breaks for the filthy rich, deregulating Big Businesses, new programs with no way to pay for them, invading Iraq, "misplacing" MILLION$, (or was it BILLION$? Don't remember), in Iraq, & their general ineptitude, have made our Country almost unrecognizable.

Then Barack Obama appeared; the answer to our prayers. I realize that every State is different, & that some of them still haven't seen much improvement. Maybe they aren't Progressive states. That would explain their continuing anguish, but I really don't know if it's the case that Red stated are hurting more than the rest; it just seems logical that if Republicans are in charge, things must be moving very slowly, compared to the rest of the world.

What I DO know, is that some states, like Iowa, Pennsylvania, & Oklahoma have already rebounded, as far as job growth, & the economy. Just heard this morning, that Iowa's doing VERY well economically, up 34%, (I think), from just 1 year ago!

Republicans have ruined many things, & some of them will never return to what we had been accustomed to. Jobs will probably be like this for years to come, maybe permanently. Looks like a job can have many definitions in these days of instability & uncertainty, due to Republican greed, & incompetence.

Fortunately, no matter what happens, whether employers provide health insurance for employees or not, Pesident Obama has made it possible for all of us to receive good health care, without discrimination . . . one thing that IS certain, in these uncertain times. Viva Obama!

June 2, 2010 at 4:02 pm |
  36. Conor in Chicago

A job nowadays is simply "Corporate Serfdom". Any where you go their is a corporate bottom line to contend with which means you don't get anything accept an hourly wage that doesn't pay the bills. Meanwhile those who make the decisions have 5 yachts and own media companies telling you that everything is going to be alright.

June 2, 2010 at 4:02 pm |
  37. Mark

Job: Paid employment which allows you to keep a roof over your head, food on the table and makes you a member of the underprivledged class in America called "taxpayers".

June 2, 2010 at 4:05 pm |
  38. Pete

For a politician's statistics point of view, it is any instance where a person gets a check for their work. But, Americans are looking for instances where an adult can gain reliable long term employment that pays enough to support a household. We need to all look at the statistics from this point of view. Or we should separate statistics for primary jobs, and secondary jobs, where secondary jobs would typically not support a household.

June 2, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  39. ben stockton, calif

in a recent report it mentions that a lot of seniors are working longer after retirement due to money problems, the employers like that idea because the seniors like to come to work and dont complain. no children to look after or boy friend or girlfriend problems. also usually, seniors greet you with a smile and try to be helpful.in a lot of cases that is not what happens with younger workers. the job market will be in trouble for quite a while and it needs a kick start soon . are we headed for another resession or worst yet, a depression god help us

June 2, 2010 at 4:09 pm |
  40. Wilhelm von Nord Bach

"contractors" instead of "employees = just another corporate SCAM to get around laws covering wages and benefits, Jack

and btw, WHEN will corporations, ex for the so called "health insurance" scammers, connect the dots on "with baby boomers becoming eligible for Medicare... they don't need to depend on their employer for health care" and support "Medicare for All" universal government paid healthcare? Americian business is at a HUGE dis-advantage to even countries with similar wage costs like Canada just because of the cost of employee provided healthcare

YES they would pay more TAX BUT I doubt that that increased cost would be far LESS than "health insurance" premiums.

June 2, 2010 at 4:14 pm |
  41. Simon/Orlando

After years of being a corporate employee, I am now 1099 with a start up company. No benefits, less money, but a lot more freedom. Due to the high costs of coming government mandated health care the only section that will gain more permanent employees will be the government which will mean higher and higher taxes from those struggling in the private sector. Greece is a preview of what will happen here.

June 2, 2010 at 4:15 pm |
  42. Tom in Texas

Well, GOOD jobs are what our shortsighted Congress has sent overseas by passing legislation encouraging American businesses to do that very thing. What are left are jobs that can't be outsourced-service jobs and those you mentioned in your article.Now our Congress is refusing to extend unemployment benefits for millions of Americans while still refusing to pass laws to bring these jobs back home.I am not very smart, but it worries me that I can see this problem more clearly than the average lawmaker.

June 2, 2010 at 4:16 pm |
  43. Paulette in Dallas,PA

Something you are lucky to have. The way the world is today temporary employees and free lance contractors are going to be the norm. Employers will not HAVE to insure them or give them benefits so the company will still make profits and all of these people will be subject to fines under Obamacare if they do not have insurance. This next generation is not going to have the security the Boomer generation had. Some may luckout and get a profitable business going but very few. This oil leak still threatens to even come up the east coast so many business ventures will no longer be viable. Too many "Catch 22's" and by trying to milk the duck too often our once great country has soiled its' own nest.

June 2, 2010 at 4:18 pm |
  44. KDS Irvine, CA

In this struggling economy Jack, any work that provides a paycheck is defined as a job.

June 2, 2010 at 4:23 pm |
  45. JOE CE

Job: something that is likely to be shipped overseas beacuse of stupid trade agreements.

June 2, 2010 at 4:24 pm |
  46. Tina Tx

Just collecting a paycheck for one.

June 2, 2010 at 4:24 pm |
  47. JOE CE

Your duplicate comment dector ifrequently malfunctions.r

June 2, 2010 at 4:24 pm |
  48. Meg from Troy

Jack–
    In these hard times, if you're working forty hours a week and bringing home a paycheck, you've got a job. Most people who are unemployed are so happy to get a job that they don't question the lack of benefits. It's a sad comment on how bad the economy is, and how low our expectations for ourselves have fallen.

June 2, 2010 at 4:27 pm |
  49. Travis

I think a job is anything that brings home cash for your family. It may not be what you are used to, but it is better than living on unemployment. You will feel better at the end of the day.

Travis
    San Diego

June 2, 2010 at 4:31 pm |
  50. NANCY , Grand Ledge MI

The benefits you speak of were achieved by the blood, sweat and tears of the labor unions. Unions have been decimated by "free trade"
    and high unemployment. In the future, corporate greed will cause employers to take advantage of their employees (including contractors), and labor unions will be back fighting the same battles all over again! Employees will only take so much abuse!!

June 2, 2010 at 4:34 pm |
  51. bigjoerice

Job?........... Job?............ What is this job of which you speak? I've been unemployed for 17 months thanks to those scumbags on Wall Street

June 2, 2010 at 4:37 pm |
  52. Layne Alleman

Dear Jack, I define it as; "doing WHATEVER one has to to help our wonderful government to help out those that need no help by taxing those who do to abject poverty or worse". Third World, we have arrived. Layne A. Antioch, Il.

June 2, 2010 at 4:39 pm |
  53. Ray in Nashville

Jack, I define a job as someplace I go to work to earn money. As an aside, this is the conservative nirvana, an employers market where workers can be hired for lower wages, no benefits and they will be glad to have the jobs. It's taken the GOP 30 years, but they've broken the middle class.

June 2, 2010 at 4:43 pm |
  54. Raul

That's a tough one Jack. A professional poker player does not necessarily see his livelihood as a job. A farmworker picks lettuce so he or she can live and prosper. There's no retirement benefits in that line of work. The recent grads who scores a job of any kind are simply grateful to have one. So I would say that it is in the eye of the beholder.

June 2, 2010 at 4:43 pm |
  55. Allen L Wenger

"Anything that puts money in your pocket". I know a job used to be a career, a profession, or at least something you did for an extended period of time. Those days are gone and it looks like more and more of us will be standing in a group, hoping we get picked for today's "job".

Mountain Home ID

June 2, 2010 at 4:47 pm |
  56. Gigi Oregon

We are being herded like sheep. A new way for the "rich to get richer and the poor poorer". Corporate America is always one step ahead of the American people. And they have our government on the payroll. Doesn't matter which party. We had all better get a dictionary and learn the difference between Democracy and Republic governments. And socialized and communist governments. Two different words two different meanings. We are going to need all the government assisted programs there are to survive under corporate America.

June 2, 2010 at 4:49 pm |
  57. Ken in NC

I define job 2010 as an increase number of Republican lawmakers in unemployment lines.

June 2, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  58. Kevin , FL

J.O.B. = Just Over Broke , with 200 people competing for One job , Unemployment Rising and an Administration doing nothing about it .....I see most of us begging in Welfare lines. Its time the Working and Middle Class make yet another Big American Stand and send all of these people Packing in Nov. before its too late!

June 2, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
  59. Gary H. Boyd

I define a job as something that prevents you from collecting unemployment and food stamps. Therefore, a job is a bad thing Jack and I want nothing to do with one unless it's in a corner office in the Situation Room - kinda like what you have.

Gary in Scottsdale, Arizona

June 2, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
  60. Lance, Ridgecrest, Ca

Jack, my job is retirement. The job I retired from is filled and functioning at full capacity. I define a "job" as any work that brings home income to pay bills, buy food, and pay for a place to live. If one job is not enough to supply one's needs, then one needs to find another one to supplement it. If you can't make ends meet with 2 jobs, you better be figuring out a new budget! Unfortunately, I see way too many people who think the solution is to stay on unemployment or welfare, and let the government support them. Disgusting!

June 2, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
  61. Judy - California

"Job" in 2010 means just about anything you can pull in a paycheck for. All the more reason for immigration reform. We used to say the illegals did the work we americans didn't want to do. Now there may be a fight for that work. We need to secure our borders as we can ill afford sharing them with people who are not citizens.

June 2, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
  62. Victor G. Hughes

1] "Do you want fries with that ?? "
    2] "Welcome to Walmart !!"
    3] "Hope we get some overtime soon, got some bills that are overdue!!".

June 2, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
  63. mark in Houston

Jack.......

When used as a transitive verb ...it's exactly what congress and it's related cronies have done to this country.

June 2, 2010 at 5:02 pm |
  64. Bert Oak View, CA

I think Congress must define "Job" as some how Un-American, because they allow companies to out-source our jobs to over-seas countries or they allow illegal imigrants to come in and steal what jobs are left here in America. I, for one will attempt to vote out anyone who is not visibly demonstrating they are Pro-American on Jobs.

June 2, 2010 at 5:04 pm |
  65. Dee

Someone told me that there is a company that provides temporary workers, that is the second largest company in the country, behind Walmart.

I have no idea if that is true. But I do know that "jobs", from this time forward, may often mean, temporary, no benefits, no vacations, no security, no stability of any kind. In other words, exactly what the employers have always wanted, the American worker "in his place".

What I am expecting next is that those inb jobs that they THOUGHT were secure to learn the harsh reality of temp work.

June 2, 2010 at 5:06 pm |
  66. Greg H - Minneapolis

Jack, I define "job" as something other people have.

June 2, 2010 at 5:08 pm |
  67. Paul Austin, Texas

I thought I was right in going for retirement a few years back. I thought I would get a "retirement" job and relax. Well so much for that, that never happened for me. I am still looking and do not know what to do. I just wish I could find something even for a few hours a day. I guess when you are retired and as it is a vetern really nobody cares what happens to you. I hope this changes soon or I may just be living under an overpass like so many we fail to see.

June 2, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  68. Ralph Spyer

Thank you free trade now we are all third world countrys.

June 2, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  69. Annie, Atlanta

Anything that pays – food, shelter, medical benefits optional. When DC becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of corporate America greed reins and we commoners start believing our near slave status is a good thing. We’re as easily trained as Pavlov’s dog. The kicker is we’ve done this. So what will we do next election? Rinse and repeat.

June 2, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  70. Steve, Clifton, VA

I would define Job as a means to survive from multiple sources....

June 2, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  71. Judie Wm's El Lago,TX

Welcome back to the track Jack....let's get the gerbils on the wheel, and we are off....

Reentering the market some years back I chose temporary, and what gained so much experience. Came the day that I accepted an assignment for 6 physicians, and it was to be for 2 weeks.

3 months shy of 20 years it ended !!! Mind you this was still temp., and while I had health insurance privately, and the benefits were minimal, I was employed. The physicians were on the cheap, yet I cared about what I did.

Many times a temp. worker will be hired to a full time position as companies use this as a screening process.

Might I suggest that anyone seeking employment give consideration to registering with a temp agency-it keeps their skills honed, and may provide opportunities. Yes, it would mean less pay, yet that is the norm in todays market.

It wasn't that many years ago when workers were changing jobs as some folks change underwear. Reality is that there is no longer loyaltity on the part of the employer. They simply stopped playing the game.

June 2, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  72. Jim - Michigan

Jack,

I just want somebody to explain what the president's priority is. We were told jobs was priority one, the next day he was shoving health care down our throats. Then we went on a spending spree, funding teacher unions that were already bankrupting their communities, campaigning for those in trouble followed and now the oil spill. So were are we on jobs again?

I wish somebody would explain to our politicians that people have to have jobs to pay for the free hand out, aka entitlement programs for people too lazy to work. Without jobs your tax base cannot support your spending.

June 2, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  73. Carlos Elizalde Humble, tx

I dont have a job, as a 12 year old, but i still think that jobs are scarce in this country, but I discribe a job in this country as a thing that is very scarce and a problem for our people.

June 2, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  74. Tim in Texas

Jack, we have been heading in this direction for a long time now. The disparity between the haves and the have nots has been growing since Reagan was in office. Quite frankly, the fact that the health care bill requires employers to provide Health Insurance for full-time workers has nothing to do with it. Employers have been pulling this crap for years. What is good is that part-time workers will finally have the relief of being able to purchase health insurance – which I can tell you was a virtual impossibility in the past. Make the tax code more
    progressive and the middle class will rise again.

June 2, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  75. Ed from California

As something to keep a roof over your head, namely your car!

June 2, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  76. james

I wouldn't know. I don't have one. I have been called "overqualified", I have been misclassified and screwed out of unemployment benefits. I am part of the shadow unemployed, the reluctantly self-employed, whatever you want to call it. I am one of the boomers that is being discriminated against. I am one of the skilled workers that even with a up to date skill set can't get a job because of the color of my hair. Companies have knowingly skirted the "worker misclassification" laws by enlisting contractors to "subcontract" a person so that they don't have to claim them as employees. Even the job agencies and head hunters have been complicit in this despicable practice for decades and they also looked the other way when their clients deliberately discriminate because of age.

June 2, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
  77. Bruce

I define it as doing anything to benefit our spiritually connected brothers and sisters. It is not defined as making a lot of money. A job is how you help others.

June 2, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  78. Michael in Phoenix

Getting a pay check. Nothing more.

June 2, 2010 at 6:01 pm |
  79. Richard Texas

A young man was hired by a supermarket and reported for his first day of work. The manager greeted him with a warm handshake and a smile, then gave him a broom and said,

"Son, your first job will be to sweep out the store."

"But I'm a college graduate," the young man replied indignantly.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realise that," said the manager. "Here, give me the broom - I'll show you how."

June 2, 2010 at 6:04 pm |
  80. steve

I define jobs as something we used to have and could easily get before our government decided to support free trade, NAFTA, CAFTA, outsourcing and insourcing to cheap foriegn labor, the No-Illegal-Alien-Left-Behind agenda, The New World Order, abandoning our manufacturing-based prosperity, etc... and now Obamacare, global governance, and redistribution of wealth that would otherwise create jobs instead of prioritizing the interests of the United States and our citizens.

June 2, 2010 at 6:04 pm |
  81. Michael Armstrong Sr.

You need to look again Jack theres more lay offs then people being hired the only one that is hiring right now is B.P.

June 2, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  82. steve

A job used to be something we were supposed to do to get money to pay for our needs. Nancy Pelosi has recently told us that jobs are something we should quit doing in order to become artists or musicians while the government provides for our needs. I prefer the first definition.

June 2, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  83. Mary Steele Yorktown VA

Well Jack,

A job could be described as something a legal citizen or legal immigrant can find that the Democatic controlled Congress has not "allowed" illegals to steal at the expense of law-abiding citizens!

Mary
    Yorktown VA

June 2, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  84. Lori

A job still means someone paying someone else to perform a task or provide a service for some period of time. Who cares whether it's six months or 30 years? Besides, this type of stuff has been going on for as long as I can remember. If I had a dollar for every ad I saw for "full-time freelance" or "temporary, possibly permanent" positions, I wouldn't need a job at all.

Lori
    New York City

June 2, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  85. Amanda - Fort Erie, Ontario Canada

Job or Career? A job to me is something I don't jump out of bed to goto everyday no matter the size of a paycheck, and I've had those jobs before but a career is something you build on your own through education, passion and applying your God given talents so for 2010 I suggest people look for a career while they are lucky enough to have a job right now, and if you don't have a job at the moment what better time to think of a Career for the future

June 2, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
  86. Laurent Iadeluca

a Job in 2010 is at least ...40 hours a week that earns 15% over the cost of living with the possibility of at least 2 hours a week of overtime at 1& 1/2 pay for the extra work: benefits like medical/dental & optical insurance that's sufficient for a family of four whose expense doesn't exceed more than 3% of the family's net annual income; A paid vacation equivalent of 20 work days per year; 10 paid sick days per year that are cumulative with consecutive years that have accrued; working conditions whose atmospheres are healthy both physically and mentally; and finally, some kind of retirement set up/system that benefits the employee financially for their "post work years" life.

June 2, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
  87. Greg in Cabot, AR

I'll have to get back to you on this one, Jack.

I'm still looking for something to tide me over until I can draw reduced Social Security at age 62. By then, I will have been out of work for 3 years. Seems no one is interested in hiring an over-qualified-boomer.

June 2, 2010 at 6:13 pm |
  88. Johnny C (Los Angeles)

Hi Jack –

The "Job" market is getting scarier each year ... Not only are employers looking to shed overhead costs, they are over working their personnel and using the term "exempt" employee to relate to 60+ hours/week and not to pay overtime.

I work in an area where the employees won a class action suit for not being paid for all of their hours ... but for pennies on the dollar. And what has the company done ... continued with the same practice.

The "contract" work is a double edge sword to the unemployed. It is good that the person is now making more than unemployment, however, when the contract time is up, they haven't worked long enough to garner unemployment benefits again. For this reason, I know many smart people whop choose not to accept contract work and rightly so.

Not only has the government allowed companies to sell out our jobs oversees, they continue to grant working visas. These misfortunes for the ones who have lost their jobs are now compounded by the fact that they can get 'short term" gigs with no follow on unemployment benefits, reduced cost to the employers, and .. of course ... our duly elected officials scratching their heads and wondering why things just aren't right.

I guess that if you get a JOB, you have now "Joined the Overworked and Beleaguered".

June 2, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  89. Fred

As a registered Republican and a person who is not in favor in socialism, I have to say that I not sure the word job exists any more. What would be a more appropriate term lwould be "a position where corporate America and stockholders takes advantage of people's lives and abilities, because they know that as the

June 2, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  90. Michael H. in Albuquerque, NM

What you described as the current situation is what I have been living with since 1976 when I first entered the workforce. I worked in kitchens for thirty years. I had no benefits. I had no regular schedule. I had no livible wage. I had jobs, too many to remember, that used me up and threw me out. Currently I am a security guard. Same deal as before.

June 2, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  91. Joel

Same way you'd define it 10, 20, 50, or 100 years ago. Work exchanged for currency. Everything else is negotiable.

June 2, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  92. Sly, Alpena, Michigan

That means Jack that the Employers or "share holders" are going to get richer and richer, and the Employees will be getting poorer and Poorer.

June 2, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  93. Brendan from Southern Illinois

Two words

Temp Job

or is it,

Census Worker?

Either way that's the only job I see people working around here, and I still don't get paid on time. The US government at it's finest.

June 2, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  94. Bob

You know that E-Verify is free and easy to make sure NO Illegal alien works in America. Now let me see we gave 9 million illegal aliens amnesty and most are working. NOW, our politicans want to give up to 20 million amnesty and if just 1/4 are working that is 5 million of our jobs. Also, 4 millions illegal aliens enter the U.S. annually so in 10 years we will have another 40 million for over 60 million illegal aliens. Again if 1/4 are working there is 10 million of our jobs and resources GONE to felon's. What a great job our Congress is doing.

June 2, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  95. TS

is this not a good trend? Did anyone believe we would go from posting job losses to job gains without a period where we had to adjust ... give me a break. Will it go back to exactly how it was, probably not but as always we will adjust.

June 2, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  96. Bill in Colorado

For a while I was like the Flying Dutchman. Three companies in a row that I worked for had factory closings. Finally I decided to start my own small business. Now I'm making more money than I have had in my entire working career. Small business is where it's at for me.

June 2, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  97. James Zipprian

Yes, full timers will be a minority, and they will only be government employees!

June 2, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  98. Mike

I have noticed companies are using temp agencies more and more. They keep candidates on temp status for years sometimes. I think this will be a growing trend. We, the working public are the ones who get the short end while the company we work for and the temp agency make the money.

June 2, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  99. Thinkforyourself, OK

Something that at least pays all the bills with enough extra to save.

June 2, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  100. Logan McGrath

Hi Jack,

My experience in the workforce since becoming independent from my parents has been extremely difficult. I am a type I diabetic, and no employer will hire me if I disclose my disease as is required for ADA.

The only jobs I am able to do are contract jobs because I would raise my employer's insurance rates and require special treatment because of my diabetes if I am hired as a full time worker. Why hire someone like me when I am so expensive?

June 2, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  101. Joe Florida

Simple as Modern Slavery for the ones who have one.

June 2, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  102. Zolicon

I would Define a job in 2010,If I could find one to define.I see jobs in 2010 as going the same way as the Panda,And that is going Extinct.
    When Jobs go Extinct,And the Eco Suystem is Destroyed.
    The We go Extinct.

Zolicon

June 2, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  103. Sal in El Paso, TX

A job should be one that is good pay, offers healthcare, and allows paid vacation for most of its employees. We overwork our people here. If our country is in a slump like it is now, we automatically try to mess with the market forces. It is time America moved away from Capitalism because it just flat out does not work anymore. We need a new system that employs everyone who wants to work and keeps the workforce happy. Without a happy workforce, we do not see the output we could be getting.

June 2, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  104. Ashe from Jacksonville, FL

I’m a 38-year old computer programmer. I used to prefer taking contract jobs because I found it very flexible. It also allowed me to see different places as I took one gig after another. I could take any job anywhere in the country. But it does get tired at some point. For me, that point was 3 years ago when I turned 35. I just got tired of it. I now work a full-time job with all the usual benefits and have gotten used to it. But if I find myself out of work tomorrow, I wouldn’t think twice about taking any job. So job for me is anything that pays me reasonably anywhere in the country. I simply cannot afford to choose; especially now.

Ashe
    Jacksonville, FL

June 2, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  105. Kay Camarillo CA

Jack,

Any work that pays a person's bills and keeps them out of bankruptcy!

PS Those employers who claim that an "employee" is really an "independent contractor" should count on a visit from the IRS. Falsely classifying an employee as a contractor carries hefty penalties, i.e, more revenue to the Feds.

June 2, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  106. Craig

Job: the thing you do that is useful enough to be given what you want for doing it. If you want more, be more useful. I can't imagine this definition has ever changed.

June 2, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  107. steve from calabasas

Jack,
    A job is the answer and solution to all of my worries and problems. It's an answer to the question of how am I going to pay my mortgage this month, how am I going to pay for my kid's tuition, and how am I going to put food on the table. Sure i'm thankful to be healthy and have a loving family, but the constant stress and worry that comes with being unemployed makes me forget how lucky I am sometimes, if not all the time.

June 2, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  108. bob

This was the formula for recovery from the bubble burst in Japan, and for the past 2 decades contract employment has been the major source of all industrial labor from non-skilled to professional. The only way to get a full time job with benefits in Japan is to be a graduate of the University of Tokyo.

June 2, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  109. Birddog in Mississippi

Jack, I don't know where you've been living, but this trend has been going on for decades. I thank God that Health Care Reform passed because in three years I will finally be able to
    buy health insurance. Did you not notice that employers started cutting benefits a long time ago, or hiring part time workers? I swear, you people need to get out of the newsroom once in awhile. All the benefits and pay go to shareholders and CEOs who pay next to nothing in taxes.

June 2, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  110. Rick Sluder

Well Jack,
    Sounds like the government is in bed with the employers for the future. By the way, except for the benefits which cost a fortune, Is your job Permanent, mine hasn't been for 30 years with the same company?

June 2, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  111. DustyCowboy

Feudalism redefined for the twenty-first century. A corporate serf.

June 2, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  112. Toni

How do I define "job" in 2010? Trying to find one!

South Carolina

June 2, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  113. robert l burford

what does job mean today...the american dream stage has gone dark and a job is just a job, black and white and no color

June 2, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  114. Karoline, Los Angeles

So depressing. My back up plan once I finish this degree is to be in line for a Masters degree somewhere....anywhere...just in case I can't find a job.

But I know even holders of advanced degrees are having trouble getting back into the job market.

June 2, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  115. Jorge

Jack,
    I don't if a temp job is necessary a bad thing. Studying the great depression, there were many temporary jobs. President Roosevelt wanted to people back to work and he did it, he got us out of the depression. President Obama isn't perfect, however people want jobs and I think he is doing all he can to put Americans back to work. Politicians need to stop fighting and start working together to get us out of this recession

Jorge from SC

June 2, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  116. David Weller

A job compared to a career is some work that you do until you're expendable. Careers these days are highly coveted positions and are competed over by people with jobs. In my field of IT you compete for a career with other people who have jobs and want that career, or to be that 1 out of 20 people who doesn't get cut when the economy goes south like it almost inevitably usually ends up doing.

June 2, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  117. Delia

You missed a few other "job" changes:
    1. Instead of waiting 30 to 60 days for benefits, you can now expect to wait for 90 to 120 days.
    2. Full-time jobs are now considered to be 30 hours/week, instead of the traditional 40/week. If you're being paid hourly that's a significant cut in weekly pay. Also, you don't get overtime pay until you surpass 40/week.

It's getting tough out there! There's been a lot of conversation in the media regarding college graduates inability to find a job, but the bigger problem is that older Americans 40+ are being passed-up for jobs. Those are the Americans who had established lives – house, cars, college tuition, etc. What is the government doing for those people????

June 2, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  118. Bob

Jack would creating 5 million jobs help? Make E-verify manatory for all current/future employees and if only 1/4 of the illegal aliens are working they would leave the U.S. are there own (no work) creating 5 million jobs.

June 2, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  119. Tom Stephan

J.O.B. = Just Over Broke.
    Tough on job seekers.
    Great for employers.
    Great for Network Marketers.
    Gives a person with "grit" a chance to find out what he's worth.

June 2, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  120. ric

I worked in aircraft for 25 yrs and after 2001 and 911 all the aircraft manufacturers went the rout of contract employees. Mmany other industries have been doing the same thing for years. They hire 90 workes then lay off the whole lot and bring in a new group. Even though i am a highly skilled aircraft machanic i went to nursing school and never looked back.....full time factory workers have been an endangerd speicies for some time.

ric from Kansas City

June 2, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  121. Laurent Iadeluca

A job should mean the employment of an individual with the minimum expectation of a dignified salary, benefits, time off, sick time and an atmosphere that's healthy for the human condition both mentally & physically.

June 2, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  122. John

Employees have no rights or job security unless they are organized. ie. union, or Government. The government will not fire employees, even if they commit crimes or do no work at all. Mandatory health benefits for employees will cause even more jobs to go over seas.

June 2, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  123. JimGreen, Seguin, TX www.Inclusivism.org

We need to change our mind-set to determine what "work" should be–and recognize, as a human right, a RIGHT to work and be a productive human being–we are moving in that direction–give us another 50 yeatrs, if we don't blow ourselves up first....

June 2, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  124. Dan McAvoy

I was an employer in the '90s and found I was forced by the system to rely on part-timers, because they got no benefits. This was reinforced by some employees, who we thought were good, that we made full-timers. They took less than a year to become employees who didn't care about customer service. Let go, they milked the system for unemployment benefits. If I ever have another business, I must depend on part-timers and only the very, very best can ever be full-timers.

June 2, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  125. Robert Read

Want a job in 2010 get elected to Congress. Then you get a part-time job with full-time pay and Oh what perks. They are not covered by Obamacare and they have a retirement plan only we can dream about.
    Jack you have the wrong job.

June 2, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  126. victor

What is the definition of job?

J O B = just another body, to an employer.

To those of us who need one it's about
    Security, growth and retirement. But that has gone the way of the DoDo bird.

Question, employers don't have to insure you if you are working less than 40, right?

June 2, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  127. S. Stephanovich

I'm almost 57. Never EVER thought I'd be where I am.
    Worked in the steel industry, out of college, did OK. Steel industry went belly up. Worked for an industrial div. of Merck; sold off when industry started to fade. job evaporated. Have changed professions; worked ins. business; annuities; went dry when economy went sour. Now, (so proud) work as a deli clerk, and the company, based in NC, rapes workers continually, reduced to being here because opportunities for my age in this job market has sung TAPS a few years ago. Used to make 60K+. Coworker, ex-Mortgage banker used to make 2X that. Could still lose house. Employers market, CLEARLY. Tell me it's different. PLEASE!

June 2, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  128. Bob

A job is something that more and more Americans don't have AND more and more Illegal aliens do have. God Bless Congress and Mr. Obama.

June 2, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  129. Bob Greenwood

Times have totally changed as you pointed out. Now accept reality. To be successful, a job today is your passion. Most people "employed" don't think about having a passion in terms of how you earn a living. Time to rethink your plan. If you are going to be happy, enjoy "controlled" stress and truly be successful actually looking forward to Monday morning instead of hugging Friday afternoons, you better work for your passion. Employers who get this will set up the work environment accordingly which in turn will allow for productivity to soar, employees who take ownership, profits roll in and have a long term committed staff to the cause. The employers who don't understand this will have staff turn over forever in THEIR business without people committed to the task. What part of this picture do all of us not understand and want to embrace?

June 2, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  130. BOB HALEY

Well welcome America to modern day slavery! I am from Canada and we have been fighting this issue of temporary employment for the past 10 to 15 years. This country is full of temporary employment agencies that take advantage of low wages and no benefits.
    We have been urging our governments for several years to strongly regulate these agencies and the companies that use them. I have just recently lost my 20.00 per hour job to and agency worker who makes only minimum wage and no benefits.
    The biggest culprits here in Canada are American owned companies, and if you are unionized and are protected from these agencies then these scum companies threaten or act and move their operations to countries offshore like China and India or worse... Mexico. These companies are bad for the economies, because their employees do not get vacations, benefits or otherwise. This isn't a new thing. Companies should be regulated with heavy tax or other options if they use temp employees for an extended period.
    Welcome America to Modern day slavery!!!

June 2, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  131. Craig Werner

"JOB" in this context, has the same definition it's always had....Work that you can do for pay. "Profession", "Career" or "Vocation" while a much less common 'position' for a worker to have these days, are still the goals. Too many of us are now managing without any type of health care insurance and taking the risky path of avoiding even routine care because of costs. I applaud the steps that have been accomplished to protect more Americans who are and will be left out in the cold by employers.

June 2, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  132. Royal(UTAH)

JOB= Anthing that will take me *J*ust *O*ver *B*roke

June 2, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  133. Rachel in TN

being at the mercy of the businesses who are just trying to make a profit at any cost.

June 2, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  134. Anonymous in Rosharon, TX

A "job" at this point is anything that helps keep the creditors off my back. I may have a lot of student loans under my belt, but they were taken out under the assumption that I would at least have some sort of job after graduating from law school. Law firms are firing staff and experienced attorneys and local county governments are cutting pay for prosecutors already at their financial limit. I even tried volunteer work to help get my foot in the door, but I only ended up with a shoe print on my back.

The sky is falling, Jack, and I don't think it's going to stop anytime soon.

June 2, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  135. Ron D-

I've been a "contract worker" in several technical and management roles since 1980 after 20 years in Corporate life. I've made more money, had more opportunities and had more flexibility as a contractor.

A century ago most people were "self employed" and corporations somehow managed to convince them was better to become dependent upon the corporation to fulfill their needs for workers.

The only difference in job security between a long-term employee and a contractor is the fantasy of security and stability in the employee's mind. It was that fantasy that allowed so many people to over-extend themselves before the financial crunch, believing the corporate fantasy that their jobs would always be there. Hopefully, as contractors, they'll understand any job can end – and they'll be better equipped to move to another position with more resources to bridge a gap in income.

June 2, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  136. sickandtired

Anything that pays my bills, keeps me fed, keeps me sheltered, keeps me ALIVE !!!!!!!

June 2, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  137. Shades

Jobs in 2010 – if you are a 99'er it’s a black hole.
    If you're a contractor – health insurance gets expensive.
    For others it’s shrinking opportunities.

June 2, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  138. victor Ames Iowa

define jobs

Hmmm. UGHH, I'll have to get back with you on that one, seems like Websters is conflicting with reality!

June 2, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  139. Greg in TN

We were warned! It's taken about 20 years, but that giant sucking sound has eliminated all the real jobs in the US. The current economic crisis has only amplified the results. I'm sure Ross Perot wouldn't say "I told you so" but he did. And he was 100% correct.

How do I define "job"? Obsolete.

June 2, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  140. Jackie

Jack, This has been happening for years, it's nothing new. Employers hire two employees at 20 hours a week to instead of one at 40 hours. Just so they can get around paying benefits. They only offer 20 hours a week and even less.

I have been offered ridiculous things like:
    Sears...from 0-15 hours per pay period which was two weeks.
    Two weeks of employment to help set up a new store, I applied for fulltime work.
    While working in home health care, hours are not guaranteed. I have worked 3 hours a week, and sometimes 2 hours a week.
    I had yet another temp job in a retail store that ended earlier then it was supposed to.

We are all American Day Laborers, employers just pull from a pool of workers and use them only as temps. And they utilize temp agencies as well. We have zero job security, or employment that were able to live on or depend on. These jobs keep everyone broke and constantly looking for a job, a job that just doesn't exists any longer.

My father supported his family of four, working as a manager in a clothing store on Main St. We lived in a five bedroom house, had family vacations, decent clothing, food, and were able to go out and do things. That no longer exists. We have been left to rot. We no longer have the 30 year job, health care, retirement......we have nothing. We are a Temp Nation. No future.

June 2, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  141. Kathryn Sanderson

Jack,

I'm 46 years old, and I haven't had a full-time job with health and retirement benefits since 2005. I've worked several long- and short-term temporary or contract jobs in the last 10 years. Currently I'm piecing work together. I have a medical interpreting job that is labeled "temporary" for accounting purposes but which I would call "contingent": I work when they need me. I just finished a contract job for large education company. I'm also a freelance translator and interpreter. My definition of a "job" is "work for pay," regardless of the duration of the work. If I interpret at a deposition for an hour, that's a job. If I translate a bunch of documents for a manufacturer, that's a job. If I work at a mail-order company for three weeks during Christmas rush, that's a job. Interestingly, the first definition of "job" at merriamwebster.com is close to mine: "a piece of work; especially : a small miscellaneous piece of work undertaken on order at a stated rate." You don't get to "a regular remunerative position" until definition 3c.

Kathryn
    Ann Arbor, MI

June 2, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  142. Mark

You're asking the wrong question, Jack. How do you define 'career' in 2010? We don't want a "job" that may be gone next month. We want a career that provides satisfaction, progression, a sense of self worth–and a steady paycheck. If we create a workforce that can't count on a paycheck from one day to the next, that has to buy its own insurance and benefits, that has to fund its own retirement, then what incentive is that worker going to have to spend money on the lifestyle we–and Corporate America–have come to enjoy? Consumer spending makes up two-thirds of our economy. What will happen to those businesses when 40% of the workforce can no longer afford to buy their products?

June 2, 2010 at 6:34 pm |
  143. Mark

A "job" in 2010 is the same as it was in earlier years and involves exchanging time and effort for compensation in an employer-employee relationship. In a tough labor market like the current one, those seeking jobs but having little distinctive to sell do not do well. So what's new?

Perhaps you should be asking what a "career" is in 2010 - how do people link a series of jobs together over time so that they build experience, earn increased compensation and benefits, and enjoy a richer work life? It is the ability of even talented young people to build careers that has changed since they need to move around frequently among companies and thus must own their careers themselves. Extended employee involvement in a single firm is increasingly rare and most people need to continually go back to school. If they don't, they will be in the bottom 75% of the population whose wages (after inflation) have stagnated for decades.

You should also ask why educational achievement has also stagnated in the US. More are attending college but fewer are finishing at all or in a reasonable time period. Without valuable skills, how will employees be able to command permanent jobs with benefits or real careers with personal and financial fulfillment?

June 2, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  144. Chad in WI

A job is the combining of synergies bettween Corrporate America and the Federal Government to systematically suck the wealth from hard working Americans with families of thier own. Serfdom is coming back, Jack. what can we do? Vote out the incumbants? What a laugh. Everyone has thier price.

June 2, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
  145. steve

A job is something the government doesn't want US citizens to have so they can enslave us to dependency on government handouts.

June 2, 2010 at 6:42 pm |
  146. Patrick Perea, Texas

I have work in the IT field since 1969, a few weeks after I got out of the Army (I received the "Greetings Letter" from Uncle Sam in 1967.

Working both as a permanent IT person and as a IT contractor from 1969 until December 31, 2008, I had to pay for my own medical insurance when I worked as a contractor.

Not only did I (and almost all contractors') pay for our own medical insurance, but we paid for our own workers comp, vacation, sick days, etc.

What I am saying is that the only difference for me since the end of 2008, I pay for COBRA, forget Workers Comp, all days are vacation days for me as I still do not have a job but use the day (and nights), looking for work.

You ask are how do i define "job" in 2010. I define it as becoming frantic as I am about to lose my house and at 62, it really is hard to find a job that will pay me what I had been making before after working for nearly 40 years so that I can pay all of my bills.

We have so many young people in the military who have been deployed 2 to 4 times, the more they are deployed, the more dangeris it is for them.

This might sound stupid, but there are a lot of us older men and women who served our country, we could still service in ways that would help our country and are younger men and women may not need to risk their lives as often as they are doing now.

Last year I was studying to become a Medical Assistant but ran out of money.

Think about it, If we could re-enlist the unemployed rate would go down a bit, be entitled to Medical Benefits and not life off our life savings.

I know a number of people my age who would have no problem re-enlisting to not only help our country, but save our youth.

Regards & God Bless,
    P&T

June 2, 2010 at 6:42 pm |
  147. Jennifer

The first thing is a job minimum wage needs to be a lot more than the current wage. Being I live in Las Vegas, my husband is in commission sales and I'm in the service industry; both jobs rely on others for most of their money. You only get minimum wage if you don't sell or if people don't want to tip appropriately. It's very hard to get people to buy anything or give an additional tip when most people are bearly surviving. Also, people are so desperate for jobs that all the employers are paying minimum wage for high skilled jobs; not just fast food, because they know people need jobs and will accept anything. A job should definately pay enough to cover your living expenses So rents go up, insurance goes up, food goes up; but we only raise minimum wage once every decade or so a few cents. They should calculate todays average rent costs and expenses people are forced to pay and keep minimum wage up to an amount that would cover a family that is trying to just cover basic living expenses. Since employers are cutting down on employees; they should pay the employees they are keeping a better wage. In a lot of companies people are taking on 3 jobs and still being paid for one. This needs to change and keep minimum wage up to date with costs yearly.

June 2, 2010 at 6:42 pm |
  148. Bob Mears

That is a loaded question,Jack. That depends on how desperate one might be.

June 2, 2010 at 6:44 pm |
  149. Richard Steevns

It is about time people in America stop being so greedy and learn what our forefathers have gone through.They lived in apartments,worked all day ,to bring home enough to feed the kids .Now days the young think they have to live in 50,000 dollar homes drive big SUV and eat ot half the time . It is about time the young share some of lifes wooos and rewards. Dick Stevens ,,,Marion,Ohio

June 2, 2010 at 6:47 pm |
  150. Kevin in CA

In California and Michigan, it's a concept.

June 2, 2010 at 6:49 pm |
  151. Tom {Indiana}

Temporary work is sure not a job. People accept this as a job they are not thinking having growing skills and supporting themself or anybody like a family. Company now days is about greed for the CEO and on the top. Companies now days do whatever they want.not about what's good for the nation. You think you got a job . You better think twice or you will be pay medium pay and living out on the streets.

June 2, 2010 at 6:51 pm |
  152. Loren, Chicago

The same way I've always defined it–something that pays the bills. While health benefits and other job perks are nice, when I was underemployed for five years, all I cared about was a check that paid the mortgage, the utilities and put food on the table. Health care benefits didn't always exist and we've survived, and we will survive this change in the economy until it changes to something else. Chicken Little lives.

June 2, 2010 at 6:51 pm |
  153. Alex in Wisconsin

For America, it used to mean building the country up. now more money is being spent taking the country down. We can't trust the private sector or the public sector to look out for the american people. We as a country need to start bulding again. Here's an idea, China built the Great Wall way back when, howabout we build a greater wall on our borders. Rebuild infastructure with high speed rails and improved electrical grid. Get the best and brightest minds solving problems instead of the worst and dimmest complaining that no one is doing anything. If you want jobs, make them jobs that build the country up.

June 2, 2010 at 6:55 pm |