May 21st, 2010

How confident do you feel about the future?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Some days it really does feel like the end of the world as we know it. There is pretty grim news everywhere you look - from the economy to international threats to natural disasters.

And people are taking notice. A new Gallup poll shows only 23 percent of Americans are satisfied with the way things are going in the U.S. - that's far below the historical average of 40 percent.

When it comes to the economy, the stock market is taking a beating. The Dow Jones Industrial Average had its biggest one-day drop in more than a year yesterday - nearly 400 points - and has dropped more than a thousand points in a matter of a few weeks.

One top economist, Nouriel Roubini, says the stock market will drop another 20 percent before this correction is over.

Investors are nervous about Europe's debt crisis, among other things. And it's not just Europe. Many worry America's skyrocketing deficits could soon put us on the brink of the kind of stuff Greece is going through.

Overseas, North Korea is threatening all-out war if South Korea retaliates for the North sinking one of its ships. Iran continues its march toward nuclear weapons and claims it could destroy Israel within a week if Israel attacks them first.

In the Gulf, a massive oil spill is threatening wildlife and entire industries up and down the Gulf Coast. And Mother Nature seems unhappy as well… with earthquakes in Haiti, Chile and Taiwan, floods in Tennessee and a volcano in Iceland that continues to spew ash and disrupt European air travel.

A lot to think about on a Friday night.

Here’s my question to you: How confident do you feel about the future?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Judy in El Lago, Texas writes:
Jack, Sadly I do not have much confidence in the future… There are so many unresolved issues in this country and I simply do not see them being resolved. Many speak of the American dream, and there are countless stories of those who have experienced it, but no more. We've sold out this great country and its citizens.

N. writes:
Very confident. America always ends up ok. The Democrats will lose power in Nov. Obama will be one and done. The future is bright. Besides, look at the past. Look at what we've lived through. We are pretty tough, no worries here.

Rita in Illinois writes:
Jack, Even if it sometimes gets worse before it gets better, I feel confident about the future. It might be a slow process but we'll inch slowly forward. The AP reported today that in April the jobless rate dropped in 34 states and DC, and held steady in 10 states. Inflation is down and so are interest rates. It's news like that we have to give more attention to. Two steps forward and one back, we're still gaining ground.

Rod writes:
I'm extremely confident about the future. It's the PRESENT that concerns me!

John writes:
I have 0% confidence in the future of my country. So much so, that I am currently researching other countries to determine a better place to live the rest of my years. I am done!

Beverly in Iowa writes:
I'm not much of a gambler, so I don't get involved with the stock market. Too risky. I only bet on sure things. As a native Chicagoan, I only wager that the Cubs won't win.

Buster in New York writes:
Hey Uncle Jack. Remember over a year ago when you and Wolf and I were doing shots of Obama Kool-Aid at the Capitol Lounge, hooting and hollering that Utopia was right around the corner? Oh well, it's nice to dream, but after reading this dreary blog post, I'm wondering if you guys wouldn't be interested in doing a few shots of Rev. Jim Jones Kool-Aid after work. If not, have a nice weekend, Mr. Happy.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Russ in PA

I feel confident that the ruling class in the USA will sell their souls for bucks, and continue to turn the US into a third-world country. Look at the continued spending, the massive debt, the social justice programs placing more Americans in a welfare state. Wonder what the Liberty Bell will cost the Chinese when they come to collect on the money owed them?

May 21, 2010 at 1:56 pm |
  2. Jayne

I try to live day to day and not think about it. Maybe if I can last long enough to get affordable medical care I'll plan for a future.

May 21, 2010 at 1:58 pm |
  3. oldfuzz

Very. One thing we tend to forget–unless I'm the only one who has had this experience–is that while not everything that happens is good, the best of what is done often comes from the worst that can happen.

It could be that we get things close to right then engage cruise control only to discover that our journey demands constant attention.

Until humans lose their ability to reason and choose, we'll be fine. Of course some think we are already sunk. To them I say, grow gills.

Las Cruces, NM

May 21, 2010 at 2:02 pm |
  4. george coleman

george coleman from Kentucky.

I feel the future is as bleak as i've seen it in my 69 years. It's not necessarily Obama's fault, i blame the Congress. They are in control and act as a check and balance to the President. Obviously they don't give a crap about anything except their reelection. Shame on them.

May 21, 2010 at 2:03 pm |
  5. Bill Pontarelli

It's coming. It will be more like the thirties than the nineties.

May 21, 2010 at 2:04 pm |
  6. Kevin lately

How Confident IM I about the Future?
    IM very confident our Sun will eventually Explode and swallow the Solar System. ......But seriously
    IN the short term it will seem to get better before it actually gets worse. If Rand Paul has his way
    All Countries will be replaced with Corporations.
    America will be renamed: Bank Of America.
    England will become: British Petroleum
    Canada: Pharmacy Rx Inc.
    Japan will now be called: Toyota Inc.
    China: Stays China because they own everyone.

Corporation's are the new Individual; they don't have to follow any rules of engagement.

May 21, 2010 at 2:16 pm |
  7. Bob Chicago

I am as confident in my future as I am that my representatives vote in Washington will do me good.

May 21, 2010 at 2:16 pm |
  8. Paul Austin, Texas

Well Jack lets see on one hand the Aztec calander ends in 2012 and on the other the Tea Partiers preach the end is near unless we all go to the ultra right. The Stock Market is in the john because of Europe and oh yes lets not forget they may have to go by strickter rules. Wall Street thinks they don't need no stinking rules that is their problem. So as the future goes we can only hope for change for the better in all things big and small Jack.

May 21, 2010 at 2:16 pm |
  9. JENNA

How confident do you feel about the future?

It depends.

If the Democrats are the majority and can make the changes that need to take place without being blocked left and right then I say that our future will get brighter.

If the Republicans are the majority or has enough members to block everything then I have NO HOPE for our collective future!

I say we need to vote in MORE real Democrats and kick out those Republicans that put their jobs before the needs of Americans.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

May 21, 2010 at 2:17 pm |
  10. altaloman

Jack, I learned some time ago (but not in my youth) that there is little reason to be overly confident, nor pessimistic about the future. Sometimes, we can justify confidence in ourselves and others, but let go of the things we can't control (namely everything in today's news). I am 62 in three weeks and early-retired due to medical disability, but just being alive to write these tweets to you, gives me ample confidence to face every day.

May 21, 2010 at 2:21 pm |
  11. Rick McDaniel

I see WW III on the horizon.
    Potential street revolts in the US.
    Islamic based violence around the world.

Not such a good time to be looking into the future.

May 21, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
  12. Dee

Well, let's see.

The gulf is infused with oil that has the potential to destroy our wetlands and kill huge amounts of wildlife, and maybe even dirty the entire east coast.

The nutcases in Texas want to rewrite American history, and not in a FACTUAL way, but in a way that espouses certain views.

Our borders are wide open, letting in not only those poor folks who just want a better life, but also criminals and terrorists of every description.

The middle East is just a nuclear incident waiting to happen, as is North Korea.

The global warming is real, and will ultimately change us all, and not for the better.

The Republicans may make gains in the midtem elections.

And Sarah Palin is a best-selling "author".

Obviously I am not confident about the future at all!

May 21, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
  13. Mark W. Johnson

~Not really. I'm confused. I helped to elect a President who is totally "asleep" about the leaking "oil crisis" and doesn't seem to understand that an illegal alien is not an immigrant. What happened to "Change"? What happened to "Hope"? How broken does the Federal government have to get before we get that Change and Hope?

May 21, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
  14. Bert Oak view, CA

With no money coming in, because of out-sourcing of our jobs and extreme amounts of money going out, because of the benefits going to illegals; I am confident we as a nation are going Bankrupt!

May 21, 2010 at 2:27 pm |
  15. Doug L.

I will try to keep it simple. The future is not good,and won`t be till we the voters get busy and vote out all these politicians that have not been doing their job, which I guess we would be replacing about everyone in Washington, that includes our one term President. I really thought he was going to change alot, but he has proved to be just another politician SO SAD

May 21, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
  16. Laurie

Frankly , not very confident at all . Everyday I see more and more that disgusts me about people , governments , the environment ... It's amazing to think that as a species we have survived this long . But at the rate we destroy the very things we need to survive , I don't see the human race lasting another 500 years . Shame that for the love of money, I believe in the end greed will be our undoing .

May 21, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
  17. marty carlisle

For America, I have no confidence, Jack. The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire is the story of America's future which is coming very soon. Thirteen trillion dollars in debt? You don't come back from that. Put your faith in God, Jack. Like, NOW.

May 21, 2010 at 2:29 pm |
  18. Barbara Leavitt

If you're talking the 'near' future.....not very confident at all. It has taken us decades to get to this point. I'm an ex Republican who voted for 'change' but so far I am being cautious with my praise.......the health care reform has too many un~answered questions and this Senate Finance Reform Bill is extremely LIMP~we are still at the mercy of the banks and big businesses. And unless there is a slow movement coming west.....I live
    in Las Vegas, NV......I'm not seeing our JOB situation improving out here.
    Just the opposite actually. Of course, Reid said not long ago "We have NO problems with illegals in Nevada".........so he MUST know something I don't know!

May 21, 2010 at 2:31 pm |
  19. Ben Mirman

Not much. The poisonuos rhetoric of the past few years is giving us so-called leaders that think the Civil Rights Act of 64 goes too far in telling restaurants who it can or cannot serve and those that would bring back Jefferson Davis as Lincoln's equal, dismiss Jefferson as too liberal, promote Hispanic-baiting in Arizona, deny health care to those who cannot afford it, and soon I am sure revive the 'privatize social security' push. The haves want more usually at the expense of the have-nots. 'Taking our government back' is a euphism for 'uppity blacks'. And meanwhile, most Republicans (leaders and otherwise) are so cowed by the tea party that they say nothing while they run roughshod over the concept of fair play and civil dialogue. Lies are okay as long as they achieve a prescribed end - e.g. the death panels. It can only get

May 21, 2010 at 2:31 pm |
  20. Kevin of CA

What is there to be confident about? I have never seen so many disasters in such a short period of time. The government and corporate welfare continue to destroy the value of currency, and property values. Crude Oil spewing out of a whole in the ocean floor and the government idiots in charge haven’t been shit canned as of yet . We are going to be forced to pay into healthcare for a bunch of overweight unhealthy lazy minded individuals, and those of us whom take care of ourselves get no discounts but just higher premiums for the same shit mandated. The so called intelligence community continues to invalidate personal privacy. Mexican educators have infiltrated the public schools and are spreading racist socialism. We have a 51% or more divorce rate due to lawyers and Judges extorting all they can from us in family law. The people in control of the departments of corrections continue to sew/farm criminality and mental illness so that the drug companies, psychologist, and psychiatry have job security. Meanwhile the mealy mouth media and entertainment industry stoke the fires rather than coming up with some original ideas to reverse the down fall. Maybe you mean confidence in the fact that we can expect more of the same?

May 21, 2010 at 2:32 pm |
  21. Karen in Seattle ,Wash.

I don't even feel very confident about the future of our planet today since I see our government dawdling and refusing to come forward to address the oil spill horror in the Gulf (while at the same time forcing BP to be accountable in EVERY-$$$$- way) . Just how bad does it have to get before the President steps up ? How long before we acknowledge the urgent need for energy and environmental legislation?

May 21, 2010 at 2:36 pm |
  22. Jon Campbell

Very confident Jack. This country and world always reinvents itself and all of our children and grandchildren will be just fine.

May 21, 2010 at 2:39 pm |
  23. Don Luciano

When I was a child there were no limits on what we could dream about. WW ll was only 5 years behind us but it seemed like a life time. Old foes changed into new Allies, we just started exploring space, the oceans and ourselves. The civil rights movement was taking hold and the country was moving forward in the right direction. The middle class was growing and the nation as a whole was prospering. We envisioned all kinds of wonderful things that would be ours by the year 2000 maybe man living on the Moon or even Mars an underwater City a cure for cancer and much more. Where did we go wrong how did things get so bad for so many so quickly? The only 2 common elements that could have caused this are drugs and the military industrial complex both take from society without giving any benefits. The politicians give plenty of lip service about cleaning up drugs but that impossible at this time and there is too much money in both so how can we change this? Who can we turn to? The great generation had men like Roosevelt is there going to be someone for ours or the next. I don’t see that man or woman of the hour do you…..

May 21, 2010 at 2:45 pm |
  24. JOE CE

If we don't renegotiate Trade Agreements to provide FAIR trade, the US is going to continue downhill. We cannot afford to contiue to lose indusrty because we have "free" trade agreements with places with no social security or worker protections, no health & safety regulations, and no environmenal regulations. Especially totalitarian states that manipulate their currency and hamper US products. THird world, here we come. Obama should have kept the campaign promise to renegotiate NAFTA while Calderon was here.

May 21, 2010 at 2:46 pm |
  25. Donn Las Vegas, NV

There are more people on the wagon than pulling the wagon and Obama, Reid and Pelosi thank you. Until that changes and we get a government with a backbone (e.g. Arizona) that is for all Americans the future looks very bleak.

May 21, 2010 at 2:46 pm |
  26. Loren, Chicago

I feel confident about my future. As to that of my children an everyone else, not so much. From a President that thinks individual effort isn't worthy of reward to a Congress that rubber stamps his fiscally irresponsible plans, there isn't much there to make a person feel confident. Is that why my college age son keeps talking about moving to Canada?

May 21, 2010 at 2:46 pm |
  27. BRUCE

NO. Our government is breaking down. the president is refusing to support our laws much less reading them , unemployment ,the economy stinks , nobodys happy no security politicians tell any lie they can just to get elected, HELL NO.

May 21, 2010 at 2:51 pm |
  28. Ed from Texas

I'm pessimistic because our elected officials expend more effort waging partisan warfare than addressing our most serious problems. And the most politically energetic group, the Tea Party, seems to be bipolar. They hate deficit spending, intrusive government and the trampling of our Constitution; however, 52% of them have a favorable view of former President George W. Bush. It's insane.

Ed Reed
    Texas

May 21, 2010 at 2:56 pm |
  29. A.B.

Jack, with the country under Barack Obama's leadership and the economy making a turn for the better, I am reasonably confident in the future of the country and my future. The change that President Obama promised is about to be realized. We have healthcare reform for the first time in this nation's history. The stimulus plan is about to bear fruit–more job production, better roads, bridges, sidewalks, sewage systems and other infrastructure. We are also about to have some long needed financial reform in a few weeks. These policy initiatives will be implemented and felt by the American public very soon before the end of this year.

May 21, 2010 at 2:57 pm |
  30. Monila75

I am writing from Louisiana. I feel like the President is taking us in the right direction. Even though their are areas that still need to improve like unemployment, etc. we are moving from the down spiral that almost led us almost into a depression. I am disappointed in the Republican's in office with their party of 'NO' because no matter how much they want the President to fail, it is the people that voted them in that will suffer. How do a whole group of old men not know that this will tank their party. That scares me that people in power are so dumb and heartless. Thank God our President is intelligent, smart, has a heart, and has morals. Meaning he will do the right thing. I do have a problem that everyone wants President Obama to do everything the first year of his Presidency. He can't do all things for all people at one time. That is why we have elected officials. These other people can put bills to be sign, like immigration, health care, etc. The only major thing that I do not like right now is the Oil spill on the Louisisana coast. If the Oil people, BP, etc. cannot control what they cause, how do you expect the President to control this spill. All of congress has to work together, because the Republicans is not going to win by always saying 'No' or not doing anything.

May 21, 2010 at 3:01 pm |
  31. JJ, Alabama

I'm not sure if the U.S will be the only world power for long, if our government doesn't change it's way of operating. We are throwing money towards luxary programs like healthcare. I understand the need for everyone to have access to healthcare, but in this type of economy we simply do not have the strength to operate that kind of system. If we don't try to get the federal budget back under control we will face the fate of the U.S.S.R, and go bankrupt. Put Bill Clinton back in there, and get the budget balanced!!

May 21, 2010 at 3:03 pm |
  32. S, Michigan

Well, lets see, as long as the sun comes up each day and I'm on the top side of the grass, things couldn't be better.

May 21, 2010 at 3:05 pm |
  33. ~BEVERLY~Mystic,Iowa

My glass is 2 halves full, in fact it's overflowing with optomism. There has NEVER been such a flow of positive change in America as there has been since President Obama moved into the White House. He has made so many sorely-needed changes already, that I can harldly wait to find out what's is in store for America in the next 6-1/2 years. He makes improvements for us on a daily basis, whether CNN tells about them or not, but everyone knows about 2 of his most recent victories, BOTH UNPRECIDENTED: giving us the health care we wanted, & regulating Wall St. He is the only one who has EVER been able to break through the Iron Curtain, AKA the Republican Party,t hough many have tried. Presidents have been trying to tighten the reigns on wall Street for nearly 80 years, & trying to give us health care for almost 100! We have a caring, thoughtful, brilliant, dynamo of a President, who is also able to accomplish what he sets out to do, overcoming monumental hurdles. How could we be anything but optomistic?

May 21, 2010 at 3:07 pm |
  34. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

At my age the future is not a real question, it's more about today and how to get the most out of this very moment. I am talking more and more to my grandkids about buying land, using a gun, planting a garden and being self sustaining like the pioneers did. They are the ones that will be challenged to the n-th degree. It really will be the survival of the few and the crime rate will be gigantic.

May 21, 2010 at 3:07 pm |
  35. Dave, Brooklyn, NY

About as confident as I am that I’ll win the lottery. I’m so confident that I don’t even take that sucker’s bet.

May 21, 2010 at 3:08 pm |
  36. Pete from Georgia

I feel the same about MY future as I did 30 years ago, mainly because I've learned my future is not based on TV rants or ratings, political corruption or polls, hysterical cries of the sky falling, no........ my future is based on my faith, my family, and my heart.
    And it's all good.

May 21, 2010 at 3:09 pm |
  37. Joe Lawson

To quote Chris Matthews, "Ha!"

Joe Lawson
    Rogersville, TN

May 21, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
  38. riley oday

Im confident the future will remain bleak for many. God bless those needing jobs.

May 21, 2010 at 3:14 pm |
  39. will

I have a few questions that I would like to be answered.
    How can a group of people, without invitation enter my country and make demands.
    Is this not an invasion?

May 21, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
  40. Marry

Personally = Very confident!
    Politically = Concerned – but very confident as long as there is no GOP majority anywhere!
    Not in Congress, not in the Senate and not in the White House!
    Better, not even in the States! The republicans just do not deserve anything after the last 8 years they were in power! They screwed everybody that was not in an all white country club. And instead of trying to help “fix it”, they are absolutely useless but very busy to insult the intelligence of real Americans!
    Slowly but steadily, things will improve if the country continues to move forward. But, that takes brave and positive people working and supporting the country! Thankfully, we do have a lot of those too!
    Washington DC

May 21, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
  41. Pat

No I don't feel confident in the future.

I live in Southern Arizona and the lawless border and lack of Federal response is frightening. We are not safe in our own homes and drugs are pouring over the border.

Our police are armed with handguns against gangster with Uzis. Would you feel safe?

May 21, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
  42. Larry,Springfield,Ohio

Jack,I'm very confident that in future people will vote for a candidate instead of a slogan,(How's that hopey-changey thing working for you?).The only hope left for this country is a strong third party!

May 21, 2010 at 3:25 pm |
  43. DON IN WESTPORT, MASS.

I'm an optomist and all I feel is doom and gloom. We are in a downward spiral and cannot pull out. This country will soon be over run by another country as soon as we are weak enough and our soft underbelly is exposed. Our politcal correctness will be our undoing. All the things that are wrong in this country is a result of our political correctness to the extreme.

May 21, 2010 at 3:29 pm |
  44. Kathie

with the calibre of incompetance in all levels of government, the greed of wall street/banks/all the rest of special interests, the supreme court now giving corporate America free reign to run and determine our elections, illegal aliens being given preferential treatment and ultimately amnestry for criminal activity, the failure to cease wars that should have never been started to begin with how can I feel but depressed, frustrated,unrepresented, screwed and hopeless. our country is being dismantled by greed, illegals and elected representatives who fight like toddlers while forgetting to represent those who elected them.

May 21, 2010 at 3:35 pm |
  45. Didi from Nashville

I'm confident because I serve a great God. I have a great family and friends. I live in a great country. I even have the nerve to have a great job. But Jack, I worry about the people who have lost the faith. They've become angry, hateful, bigoted and mean-spirited. They even attend churches where their ministers pray for the death of our president. They don't seem to know the God I serve. Perhaps they don't have family or friends. They've forgotten we live in a great country. It's sad.

May 21, 2010 at 3:36 pm |
  46. Eloy Gracia

Extremely confident. The economy is recovering fast and it is ready to expand. The worst is over. The jobs are out there but you have to adjust slightly your desires and salary. Not all of you will get an easy-job like Jack Cafferty's. I mean, blabbing his mouth. What a louse!

May 21, 2010 at 3:37 pm |
  47. Ryan in Galesburg, IL

Very confident, Jack! I'm confident that big industries will continue to sacrifice safety and decency to scrounge every last dollar. I'm confident that more "family values" politicians will be caught with their pants down (and their values out). And I'm confident that oil, mercury and other life threatening toxins will continue to soil our planet, while America obsesses over "reality" television.

May 21, 2010 at 3:38 pm |
  48. southerncousin

Feel very unconfident, particularly when a president of the United States can get away with lying so much to the hard working people of America while coddling our enemies and demeaning the hard working people who are actually contributors. At the same time he coddles and plays to the non working dope smokers.

May 21, 2010 at 3:39 pm |
  49. Cemil Tarhan

Confidence is a human trait that merits everyone. Its absence leads to self indulgence and abundance to self destruction. I feel very confident about the future. Problems will always exist and the tougher they get, better honed we become. Let us not forget that human advancement is a direct product of adversities and tough problems. I am sure current economic uncertainties will create better management systems that will benefit evryone in the end.

May 21, 2010 at 3:41 pm |
  50. Sandra in Temecula, CA

I'll feel a whole lot better in 2012.

May 21, 2010 at 3:46 pm |
  51. Rikk, Simi Valley

I am incredibly confident that the best days of the United States are behind us. Pelosi, Reid and Obama have given us a violent shove off the edge of the cliff. Even if they are voted out at the end of the year, the damage is done. We will need a group of politicians from the old mold to save us. We need to return to an era of individual liberty and personal responsibility, and without dramatic, POSITIVE change I am afraid my children will not have the opportunities that I had.

May 21, 2010 at 3:46 pm |
  52. Gerry luimes

Are you referring to the USA,or to the world in general?
    A: Not to worry too much about the United States; This country has many times displayed its flexibility and inventiveness to overcome
    hardship and depression! It will do so again.No doubt.
    B: The rest of the world is biting its nails also.The E.U remains a question mark for the time being.If they fail to get their house in order
    then times will become pretty hairy for all of us.Let's keep hoping,praying,working,laughing,playing and loving for as long as possible.We remember the credo; "The universe will enfold as it
    must."

May 21, 2010 at 3:50 pm |
  53. Rob in Brooklyn

yes I do, But I would feel more positive if the damned politicians would do their jobs. Stop the bickering – do what your there for. And stop greasing your own pockets .They should have jail time for that

May 21, 2010 at 3:52 pm |
  54. Remo, from beautiful downtown Pflugerville, Texas

Future? Jack, what's that?

May 21, 2010 at 3:52 pm |
  55. Jack in Florida

Jack
    As confident as I have always been. We have had twelve years of the Bush family in Washington as well as eight years of another member of that family here in Florida and we are still standing. If that didn't finish us off nothing will! Time really will heal all wounds.

May 21, 2010 at 3:53 pm |
  56. Judie Wm's El Lago,TX

Jack:

Sadly I do not have much confidence in the future, and for me concern for my children (in their 40's) and THEIR children, and THEIR children.
    I am aware of their struggles, and they are far different than what I experienced. My dtr. patiently waited over 25 yrs. before being able to purchase a home. There are so many unresoved issues in this country and I simply do not see them being resolved.
    We've sold out this great country and its citizens. I, along with hundreds of thousand others simply hope for a level playing field.
    As Memorial Day approaches let us remember who insured our rights-they are the Veterans of past and service men and women of today, and God Bless them.

May 21, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
  57. Tom Trapani, Quito, EC

My future is secure; if no comet collides with the Earth within the next 20 years. My children and grandchildren will, of course, have to deal with the mess my generation has felt to them. Let's hope we have not set the Earth on a course of toxicity levels above the magic number of 350 which precludes the sustainability of life on this planet as we now know it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

May 21, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
  58. John Rakestraw, Crow. OR

History is an open book and how we care to write it is up us. I'm confident in the fact that we will see booms, busts and changes beyond our thinking. Our future isn't the issue. It's how we handle the present that concerns me. Always work for the present and with an eye to the future. Our history will be written by the winners, movers and shakers! We must give them a past worthy to write about. We must stand as titans who fought the arrows of our times and braved hardships that will give them their strengths in the future!

May 21, 2010 at 3:55 pm |
  59. Leslie

I have to say without a complete change in the direction we are going as a race of beings, the future of the world is very very bleak. People are starving and dying needlessly, we are killing ourselves, we are killing our planet and all we do is talk about it. We have put our trust in those who said they were leaders only to find they are not and look what they have given us. A dead planet with poisoned food. What more needs to be said.

May 21, 2010 at 3:57 pm |
  60. katiec Pekin, IL

I feel much more confident than I did a year ago.
    We have a president that is doing everything he can to resolve all the crisises that were handed to him.
    We are close to enforcing financial reform.
    We have a health care plan that stops the insurance companies from raping the American people.
    The destroying of our environment is being addressed and dealt with.
    Middle class America has become more important than Wall St.
    And, we have a president that puts the survival of our country and the American people over all else.

May 21, 2010 at 3:59 pm |
  61. Gilbert West

Jack,

I am very confident about the future. The future is on its way in and it will continue to unfold before us. Events tend to follow certain immutable laws, i.e., "for every action there is an equal reaction in the opposite direction with the same amount of force," and "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." The future doesn't get more predictable than that.

May 21, 2010 at 3:59 pm |
  62. Jester Jersey from Davis, CA

I have a two part answer to this question. I feel very unconfident with the future because of all the things going on with the economy. Many are facing much financial uncertainty, including myself. As a first year college student, I worry about how much tuition fee increases will impact my future. Things aren't looking too good with the immigration problem in Arizona either, and it seems that are borders are still as broke as ever. Then there is the oil spill that will take who knows how long to clean up. These are the reasons I feel so unconfident about the future. However, I have to take an optimistic view for two reasons: First, I'm a very religious fellow, and my faith sustains me. The second reason is that we are starting to remove many incompetent politicians from the high pedestals we placed them in before the economic mess. I'll grow a little more confident each day that we improve the nation's political landscape.

Jester Jersey
    Davis, CA

May 21, 2010 at 4:00 pm |
  63. Susan Frost

It depends on which side wins, doesn't it? A teabagger world with its rampant racism, xenophobia, religious intolerance, militarism and unrestrained robber barons taking advantage of what would become an increasingly disease-ridden and ill-educated majority of minimum wage or less sweatshop workers would hardly be worth living in for most people. A progressive world of increasing freedom, international cooperation, social programs that put humans before corporate greed, universal health care and free public education through post-secondary would be something else entirely. If we let the bad guys win, the fault lies with no one but ourselves.

Susan
    Tuscaloosa AL

May 21, 2010 at 4:01 pm |
  64. pat in michigan

I am confident that some politician will take away my pension and my soc. sec. my health care and then enslave me to a life of poverty and sorrow all in the name of democracy and capitalism.I earned everything i have and in their minds It belongs to the elite.

May 21, 2010 at 4:07 pm |
  65. Ed Fazio, AZ

Jack, I am Confident that at 73 My Days are Numbered. Unfortunately, I Feel the Country I Love and Served is GONE. It has Been Replaced by a Society at War With Itself. The Politicians Have Managed to Turn Every Problem Into a Political Issue of Party Against Party, Color Against Color, and Religion Against Religion. They Continue to do This to Remain in Power and to Feather Their Own Nest. God Help Us All.

May 21, 2010 at 4:07 pm |
  66. John Walin

I am optimistic about the 2nd half of this year and into 2011. I am a REALTOR around Chicago and the market is improving. Pent up demand, price suppression and really low interest rates make this a good time to buy. That said, you need to be in the position to sell your current house and price it like it is 2002 all over again! If you have a long equity position it is good to trade up in this market environment.

May 21, 2010 at 4:09 pm |
  67. Tina Tx

I am feeling much better now that Obama is trying to rein the rules and regulations on Wall Street. If I have to follow rules and regulations then so should Wall Street and quit trying to come up with silly new things to put the screws to the poor American layman trying to make a living for his family. You want to screw people over, do so to those that can afford to loose their shirts.

May 21, 2010 at 4:15 pm |
  68. Solitude

"About my future? Very confident!!! About yours, and the rest of the of the USA, I am not so sure. I still cant understand why/how he continues to sit in your White House."

May 21, 2010 at 4:17 pm |
  69. John from San Antonio

I feel confident about the long range future. The short range is going to be tough, perhaps as bad as any in recorded history. But once we establish an economic system that is not based on greed and we revert back to caring for one another without the descrimination and intolerance perpetrated by religious radicals we will be fine.

May 21, 2010 at 4:17 pm |
  70. Marty

I am still in limbo. I'm neither optimistic or pessimistic but am waiting to see what happens. I just have my head down and am hoping to weather the storm with my job and house intact.

May 21, 2010 at 4:26 pm |
  71. Joe Ft Walton Bch Fl

Jack are you talking about my future?. I hate to tell you, I am already over the hill, waiting for my number to come up, and I am not talking about lottery numbers either. That question should have been address to a younger generation with many years ahead of them. And I wish them luck.

May 21, 2010 at 4:28 pm |
  72. Grandma Susie

I am confident it will get worse. The world is going to hell in a handbasket and no one seems to be able to stabalize anything. It will definitely get worse for us in Southwest FL as Governor Christ has just placed us under a state of emergency due to the oil volcano erupting in the Gulf. Not to mention a 14% unemployement rate and Foreclosure crisis that has kept Lee county in the national news. Doesn't give you alot of confidence for the future.

May 21, 2010 at 4:28 pm |
  73. Jameson

Does humanity have a reset button?

Salt Lake City, UT

May 21, 2010 at 4:29 pm |
  74. Gary H. Boyd

On a scale of 1 to 10, put me down for a minus 5. If things get any worse I'm gonna have to start panhandling to cover my golf fees. I'm desperate and sleepless here in Scottsdale, Arizona where the latest bump in the road is the onset of summer heat and a little dust-up over illegal immigration. So, yeah, put me down for a minus 5.

Gary Boyd in Scottsdale, Arizona

May 21, 2010 at 4:29 pm |
  75. Rich DAlfonso

I have no confidence in the future and less confidence in American leadership. Our president needs to spend less time on the basketball court and more time with the media. It's sad how badly the American people who voted for "change" got duped by our president and the media that fully supported him. Small consolation for me is that I voted for McCain.

May 21, 2010 at 4:31 pm |
  76. Greg H - Minneapolis

Jack, Doris Day summed it up nicely. "Que sera, sera." What will be, will be. If people continue to sit around waiting for someone to make a decision, nothing will get done. But if someone rises up and starts doing what needs to be done, then the future will be better for all. Given that liberal politicians are more concerned about reelection, and conservative politicians also do not appear concerned about the long-term, we can expect little help from Congress.

May 21, 2010 at 4:35 pm |
  77. ZionMari

As a Christian woman, I am hopeful about the future. Sure things are crazy right now, with Europe and the troubles with Greece, Spain, Italy & Portugal, however, the United States is a strong country. We have survived tough times before.

Some folks forget the Twin Recessions of 1981 & 1982 when Ronald Reagan was president. They forget the Crash of 1987, or Black Monday!

People forget that in 1983, yeah, 1983, we had 10% unemployment. And then look at the 90's! Our Nation was rocking!

As FDR said, "We have nothing to fear but fear itself!" Fear is a disease, it spreads, it pollutes our minds and cripples us! That's why I am no longer a Republican, their strategy of hate, lies, fear and division, is vile.

May 21, 2010 at 4:42 pm |
  78. RichP, easton, pa

With the current elected officials that are in all three houses I feel much more worried than I did 2 years ago. They are still in their 'take care of themselves' mode and concentrating on getting re-elected. If they don't get off their collective bottoms and either GO HOME and do nothing or close the outsourcing and tax loopholes for companies moving out of the country we are in deep trouble. Look to AT&T for the next big layoff as they bring their brand new multimillion call center in the Philippines online where those workers get paid $15 a day, that move went forward as soon as the HC bill was passed and signed into law.

May 21, 2010 at 4:42 pm |
  79. Lori - PA

Jack,

Right now, I'm very concerned about the future. I don't know how November elections will turn out – will the elected officials the American people vote for finally listen to us? Will they finally come up with solutions to combat the growing deficit? Will they continue to ignore the illegal immigration problem? Will I, and every other unemployed American, ever find a job? Very concerned indeed.

May 21, 2010 at 4:42 pm |
  80. ben stockton, calif

as a senior citizen , theres not a whole lot left of my future, but my main concern is for my children and grandchildren in many ways it looks bleak for them., ive tried to instill an importance of saving and investing in their future for their retirement but it falls on deaf ears. they gotta have all the latest gizmos .. we will eventually become a debter nation to countries in the pacific rim [ the rise and fall of the roman empire]...

May 21, 2010 at 4:42 pm |
  81. Ed from California

If I was starting out or in the middle of a career, I would be scared to death. I remember ( and not that long ago) when jobs were plentiful. You could go from one job to another job every week, if you wanted to. And these were all good paying jobs.
    With the start of government deregulation that was started in the 70's, it has been all downhill from there. We have seen private industry take advantage of the lack of regulations and have moved every job it can to overseas countries. And these same companies in the mean time have enjoyed record profits, paying no taxes what so ever. I guess we get what we vote for. I'm so thankful I'm retired w/medical. I worked in the private industry. We paid for retiree medical and pension out of payroll deductions.

May 21, 2010 at 4:44 pm |
  82. Gregory Tripp, Mechanicsburg, PA

Yesterday the Dow lost 400 points and my stock hit a record high and soon I'll diversify in other "sure bets" on Wall Street. All kinds of catastrophes hit all kinds of places yet where I live has lower unemployment, less violence, higher property value, and a brighter future than most of the world. Part of this is good luck. Much if this was a conscious decision my wife and I made about ten years ago to bite the bullet, derail my career, and purposefully move to where we considered to be one of the best places on Earth to live, Central Pennsylvania. Sure the folks around here are tea partiers and cling to their guns and religion, but it's worth putting up with their ultra conservatism to be in an otherwise ideal local. Choice is the word. Most people don't think about it, but when you come right down to it where they live, what religion they belong to, everything everyone does every day of their life is make choices. If more people made deliberate, conscious, rational choices the world would be a far better, healthier, and happier place to live.

May 21, 2010 at 4:48 pm |
  83. KDS Irvine, CA

Funny you should ask Jack,
    I could not sleep last night because I was thinking about our economic times and every other problem we're facing as a nation. The day will come when someone attacks North Korea which pretty much guarantees another World War, Job security at home does not exist anymore, inflation continues to rise, gas prices are high. Yeah are future sounds promising.

May 21, 2010 at 4:48 pm |
  84. Bill Fortune

Jack, can you say worldwide breakdown? The handwriting is on the wall in permanent ink. It starts here in the U.S. with our completely dysfunctional government officials. The only sounds I hear coming from Washington is that of a whoopee cushion. Our government is tearing the nation apart with its ineptness and partisan power struggle and bickering. I do believe that our founding Fathers would pick up their caskets’ and go back to England is they could see what is taking place in America. God Bless America, if not it is all over.

Bill Fortune
    Brainerd Minnesota

May 21, 2010 at 4:52 pm |
  85. Danny Mckinney, Texas

I feel that things are going to change rapidly in the next few years. In a global economy like we have what effects one country trickles down to the next. Populations are growing not getting smaller despite natural disasters, illness and wars. People have to be fed and hungry people become angry people. With a choice of either starve or take from others people will take. Especially to feed their own. We have not yet seen the tip of the iceberg of what a bad economy can do to good people. Our government better start to understand this and very quickly.

May 21, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  86. Steve, Clifton, VA

Confident that more upheaval /change around the globe is forthcoming until the lack of or diminishing respect by Man for spiritual and natural forces is restored on a global basis.....

May 21, 2010 at 4:56 pm |
  87. Peter

Ten years ago I was excited about my future. Had an awesome family great job wonderful life. Then I had to go on disability (MS). Had to give it all up. Now I can't wait for sometime in September when it will all end for good

May 21, 2010 at 5:02 pm |
  88. HUBERT BERTRAND

Jack; Every years we have more lobbist, We already have too many. If you look at the Gulf spill. Too many people cooking the books. When I worked offshore SAFETY came first. Now (CEO's) and greed have change our world forever. something real real real bad will have to happen to wake the people. It will be too late.

May 21, 2010 at 5:04 pm |
  89. Rhoda Bryce

I have put aside any plans for the future for reirement, new home or purchasing anything including health options. I feel totally out of control of my life with now hope of solving any problems. It is quite depressing and ashame to have worked so long (40 years) to end up with nothing.

Rhoda
    Scottsdale, AZ

May 21, 2010 at 5:08 pm |
  90. Maria

Jack, you caught me on a bad day, one of many. I think my future holds very little in the way of positive happenings. I would hope my children and grandchildren would do better, but I believe they won't. This country is on the way to looking a lot like Greece. Not what I'd imagined many years ago.

Maria

Brunswick,MD

May 21, 2010 at 5:10 pm |
  91. naqibham

Very...
    America always ends up OK....

The Dems will lose power in Nov... Obama will be one and done... The future is bright...

Besides... look at the past... look at what we've lived though

50s... Nuclear Holocaust
    60s... Starvation by over population
    70s... Global Cooling
    80s... AIDS
    90s... Ozone and CFCs
    00s... Global Warming

We are pretty tough... no worries here

May 21, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
  92. Antonio from Washington D.C.

Doing the right brings security, but doing the wrong brings insecurity!

May 21, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
  93. Steve

I am confident about the future because this world has more good people than bad ones.
    Steve
    Hale, Michigan

May 21, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
  94. Lucy, from Texas

I am not confident at all. America has been sold to the highest bidder, "too big to fail" corporate America who bet against America and got obscene bonuses as a reward. If America does not turn away from Coporate America, they will continue to feed on us until our life's blood is drained.

It is time for Doctors and Nurses to start and take away the financial drain caused by insurance and health care corporations and go back to the local's doctor's hopsitals. It is time to start supporting our local businesses, make corporations pay for their pollution, get rid of lobbyists give Americans back our politics and give us back our humanity. I am not a consumer, I am a person.

It is time for corporate America to value us as people and to realize their is no justification in destroying our economy while they give CEO bonuses, destroyed our healthcare by paying off insurance companies and healthcare corporations that provide no direct services (middlemen), and that you cannot destroy everyone's earth and think with all the big bucks you pay your lawyers, that you'll recover in a couple of years and it will be back to corporate business as usual. Look at the corporate failure around us. What a big mess they have created and their corporate missions is to pass the cost on to the consumer.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to be their "Consumer" any more. I am looking for small local businesses to support and hope that I can feel like I have value as a "customer", a human being, I hope I never am a "Corporate Consumer" again.

May 21, 2010 at 5:12 pm |
  95. Mike S., New Orleans

At the risk of sounding like Tom Petty, the future ain't what it used to be. The biggest threat to America is the radical polarization of the electorate. No environmental or financial crisis can do more damage than a nation divided.

May 21, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
  96. Jack Dempsey

Jack, the future will come with or without us. It might be better off without us. All the events that you described have happened many times before. People who are ready to believe that the End Times are here are going against God . He wants us to take every step to survive and prevent as many of these events as possible. Many of these things do not have to happen. People should stop complaining and start working for a better tomorrow. Jack from Nice Ca.

May 21, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  97. Scott Stodden

I feel very confident about the future Jack as long as we the United States Of America have the right leaders leading us! Yes these are hard times that we're living in today with the stock market going up and down, the country of Greece and Europe as a whole which is in shambles, North Korea threating war, Iran threatning Israel, the Gulf being threatened by the oil spill, earthquakes all over the world in Haiti, Chile, Taiwan and the Tennessee floods you would think there is no hope for the world as a whole but Im sorry I just don't feel this at all the end of the world! Its a test I believe and the test is this, that all these problems can be fixed, there is still hope but only and only Jack if we as a country make the right decisions! Its all up to who the people are voting for!

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

May 21, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  98. frankie

I live in America where we have an amazing Declaration of Independence and Constitution whose words have survived through endless of changes and hard times and bad Congresses and whitewashed textbooks. Look at our President and First Family, America is not locked in the past even if our progress is slow and halting. And this is a pretty resilient world, we did figure out how to end the Cold War and we are stumbling towards fair international commerce. I am actually hopeful.

May 21, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  99. Jeff In Minnesota

In the immortal words of Rosanne Rosannadana, "It's always something!" We will all make it through this and move on to the next problem or issue. It's what makes America different from a lot of other countries. We seem to have a resilience or an ability to move ahead even when confronted by great adversity. Because we know that if we keep moving ahead, we will work through the problems we face.

May 21, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  100. Willda Ritter, Lakewood, CO

I'm a Senior Citizen (not a Senior Person) and I pray a lot that our country can come back to using the Constitution with Common Sense applications.

May 21, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  101. Larry L, Torrance, CA

The sinking of one country's naval vessel by another country's naval vessel is, by definition, an act of war.

How I wish that the tough-guy Bush Administration had taken on North Korea rather than the weakened Iraqi dictator who had a lot of oil.

How can war be avoided in this case? If nothing is done regarding this act of aggression, then the side which was the victim has surrendered without firing a shot.

May 21, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  102. Delia

Let's see...
    Lost my job
    Lost my 401K to live and now I owe taxes for penalties
    Lost my husband
    About to lose my house...

Confidence comes in the form now of "it's not over yet"! I AM CONFIDENT OF THAT!!!!

May 21, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  103. John Szalkay

What could work? President Kennedy did it with the USSR and Cuba. How about a naval blockade of North Korea?

May 21, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  104. john j. grimes watertown, ma.

I'll feel a lot better about the future when this country stops spending hundreds of billions of dollars on our no-win escapade in Afghanistan and Iraq. I really believe that the trillion dollars spent "over there" along with the 300 billion per year spent on people who came into this country illegally could be put to beeter use.

May 21, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  105. honest john in vermont

Look Chicken Little, the sky is falling.

May 21, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  106. Bruce

I feel good. Earth changes like the volcanoes and the rising of the ocean floor around Australia by 13 feet a day and the oil slick and the lack of suns pots and famine / water shortages and total economic collapse due to thievery all give us a chance at a new civilization.Looking forward to the change.

May 21, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  107. Annie, Atlanta

I try to wipe the bad news slate clean by Friday night, but here goes. If we don’t get our elected representatives out of the pockets of corporations, from Wall Street to the military industrial complex, there won’t be a future for America that resembles anything we recognize. We’re already getting a glimpse. It has become “anything goes” for the sake of money to these indecent, immoral, soulless creatures, for which the body count has no meaning. Now I'll go have a good cry.

May 21, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  108. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Hi Jack,

indeed, a lot to think for a friday...I'm confident in my own questioning to find answers and i'm confident in people asking themselves more questions to find as well answers to our challenges! I will be more confident when we take more time to think together about questions and answers and learn from that process and share it and repeat it in every school, community, businesses and governments!

May 21, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  109. Shari from Madison WI

I am not confident about a good future at all, at least not until Jesus returns. World war 3 could begin in Korea or the middle east. Many more people will die because of hunger and the homeless rate will climb. As long as humanity remains selfish and uncaring the future is terribly bleak

May 21, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  110. Dee

The future starts with each one us looking in the mirror and deciding what future each of us want individually. Don't depend on others to make your future better. Like Michael jackson said "I'm starting with the man In the Mirror."

Dee

Houston, Tx

May 21, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  111. Peter Boehringer

Oh, the future will definitely come, and after the 9/11 crash, and the 2008 crash, I'll be doing just what I am doing now -working. I guess the future is already here.

May 21, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  112. Alex in Gig Harbor, WA

Being well informed is so depressing. Everything seems to be on a downward trend and I just hope the American way of life holds together awhile longer. Yes, the economy is slowly improving, but our debt is unsustainable and we could easily go the way of Greece. Even if global warming is not man caused, the effects are already manifesting in stronger storms and record floods. Mother Nature isn't happy because of the tons of toxins we release to the environment every day. The oil spill is just the latest abuse of the environment.

May 21, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  113. Jonathan

In a word....terrified!

We as a country cannot even manage the inside of our own borders (immigration, spilled oil, Wall St.) let alone the rest of the world. Using the AZ "immigration law" and the hypocritical nonsense shared by President Calderon of Mexico, our own government very clearly and loudly (and might I add on an international stage) not only showed their internal divide, but stood and applauded against one of their very own states for taking a step to protect themselves due to a failure of the Federal Government to do so.

It is the same idea as siding with a neighbor over one's own child and once that child knows that their parents will not stand by and protect them during important situations, that child begins to take more and more matters into their own hands without seeking parental guidance. And who can blame them.

Jonathan
    Seattle, WA

May 21, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  114. Tim

As a sophomore in college and a member of the Air Force ROTC I feel out country is forever stuck in a military quagmire that will have U.S. troops in the middle east until the unforeseeable future. I will not most likely see any kind of service for at least five years, but I have little confidence we will be out of Iraq or Afghanistan by that time, let alone any future conflicts with say Iran or Korea. I want to join the military to defend my country, not to police the world.

May 21, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  115. mary from Texas

With Texas advocating we delete Thomas Jefferson Slavery making Joe Macarthey look good I'm not sure there is a future. I thought this was a democracy I was proud of. It looks like we have gone back to the 20s. If they want to take thier back, they should read thieir US history. Please don't replace facts with fiction.

May 21, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  116. Rita in Illinois

Jack,

Even if it sometimes gets worse before it gets better I feel confident about the future. It might be a slow process but we'll inch slowly forward. The AP reported today that in April the jobless rate dropped in 34 states and DC, and held steady in 10 states. Inflation is down and so are interest rates. It's news like that that we hve to give more attention to. Two steps forward and one back, we're still gaining ground.

May 21, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  117. Kea from Honolulu

I think I'm going to learn some hand to hand combat. Like Einstein said, after World War 3, we'll be back to fighting old school style with sticks and stones.

May 21, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  118. ken

We are in the end of times. It is not going to get better untill Jesus comes! I hoped that all this, that is happening now was in the near future. I was hopeful to at least retire and a enjoy a few good years. But things are all speeding up, but in the past all things seem to progress all so slowly. How do I feel about the future? I am hopeful but I expect the worse which will overcome the world. No worry I am saved!!

May 21, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  119. Travis

Jack,

I have never been so worried in my life about the future. We are on the "brink" of war with countries around the world, the government is at every step trying to take our freedom away in the name of "security", and our economy is on the verge of anhialation. The worst thing is that the American people are OK with this. Nothing is being done to stop this. I am preparing for the worst but hoping for the best.

Travis
    San Diego

May 21, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  120. Jeremy D from Michigan

Well now that I read your article, not confident at all. Thanks Jack.

May 21, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
  121. Bonnie in Arkansas

The really scary thing - some day these will be the good old days.

May 21, 2010 at 6:08 pm |
  122. Tom in Tx.

With our government refusing to take charge of stopping the Gulf oil spill, I do not even feel good about the planet's future. By all means we must hold BP responsible financially and every other way, but that does not translate into them knowing what the heck they are doing when it comes to containing the mess.

May 21, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  123. Rich

This distracting fantasy world we all live in is not going to last. Reality will hit, and hit hard, that i am very confident in. Cough, Federal Reserve, cough.

-Rich from Kansas

May 21, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  124. Don in Nevada

I think we will make marginal progress until we can finally confront the biggest question there is: who are we, where did we come from, and are there others out there?

May 21, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
  125. Eric in Illinois

America needs to come back to reality. We can't take care of everyone, foreign or domestic, through the corrupt avenues of federal government. We need to take care of ourselves and help those in need through private organizations and charities. Until we get back to the principles of individual responsibility and out of the business of federally redistributing domestic wealth and policing other countries, this USA will stay in a downward spiral.

May 21, 2010 at 6:13 pm |
  126. Ken in NC

With the world as it stands today, I am as confident there will be a future as I am that there will be weather. The question I ask is how bad is the coming storm going to be?

May 21, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
  127. greg texas

the good old days were not always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems. (wish i had thought of that)

May 21, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  128. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Im confident that im a heart patient and have about 15 to 20 years left to live and glad .

May 21, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  129. Dennis / Missouri

Not very confident. How can we be? We have a President and Congress which is doing their best to ruin our future.

May 21, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  130. Larry

Two things come to mind jack...2012, and Ancient Aliens...You think I'm kiding...?

May 21, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  131. Ronda (from Canastota, NY)

Future, what future? Hasn't anyone figured it out yet? There isn't going to be any future. Nostradamus was right.

May 21, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  132. Paul

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I'd have to say now that I'm completely confident that the future will indeed arrive.

May 21, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  133. Matt P.

A heck of a lot more confident than I did with the last administration!

May 21, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  134. Steve

Jack – The future's so bright I've gotta wear shades!

May 21, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  135. Susan from New Port Richey, FL

Jack,
    My grandpa always used to say 'You gotta smile today – tomorrow will be worse'...
    Man was a genius !!!

May 21, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  136. Bob Curtis

Amazingly confident. We're humans. We got this.

May 21, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  137. Jason, Koloa HI

Thanks a lot Mr. Gloom and Doom, I was having a good day until I read your question. I am confident there will be a future, I'm just not confident there will be any humans in it. Good luck insects, you're about to step out of the batters box and up to the plate. Hopefully, you won't strike out like mammals and reptiles.

May 21, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  138. Matt

Ah, cheer up.

There's always the chance that the aliens ( from outer space ) will invade, and finally unite the whole world.....

Matt
    Saint Augustine, Fl

May 21, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  139. John J. Gilbert

I have 0% confidence in the future of my country. So much so, that I am currently researching other countries to determine a better place to live the rest of years. I am done!

May 21, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  140. Don from Illinois

Jack, I am a father of two teenage daughters and I am very confident in the future. Especially for their future. Sure, bad things happen; war, natural disasters, knuckleheads messing up the world economy, but the future is bright because we won't let those things keep us down.

May 21, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  141. Laura Michaels

Since my early teens in the mid-80's I have felt great concern about the immediate future of humanity and humanity's effects on other species. Despite my personal efforts to do what's right, during my lifetime I have witnessed the continued squandering of vast resources, the reversal of social progress due to the current conservative extremist movements, and a political and economic situation that makes me wonder if I'll see this country become 3rd world within my lifetime.
    So, to sum it up, I see every reason to abandon all hope. Yet I continue to hope for the world; if I did not, what purpose is there in living?

May 21, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  142. rod

I'm extremely confident about the future. It's the PRESENT that concerns me!

May 21, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  143. James the curmudgeon

I am confident that the future will be there waiting for us! Be ready.

May 21, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  144. John Getsoian

Jack, after that lead in, I had to talk myself out from under the table to pick up my laptop. But the answer is, as bad as things are, the one positive is that the public's patience with incompetent institutions is running out. We've had a generation of non-accountabiity in all kinds of public spheres; government, education, business. If the current myriad of messes becomes the pivot point, we will be back on the way to the right direction.

May 21, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  145. Michel Bond

Typing from Windsor, North Carolina..
    Prepare for war in time of peace Be of sound mind and judgement If at first you don't succeed Get it right the next time or the next.
    With all the problems that looms theirs always a way for them to be better. I've worked to market a product and to due this one needs capital. Each of the problems that are presented has a special resolve. The oil spill for example. Use a telescopeing pipe inserted into the pipe for a better fit. As for the economy help people market their products instead of hoping they do it themselves.

May 21, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  146. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Jack, I felt pretty confident until reading all the grim details that threaten our future. Now I feel like "Chicken Little" and ready to run out to warn everybody that the sky is falling in.

May 21, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  147. Isabel from Ann Arbor, Michigan

You know, Jack, your continued doom and gloom might classify you as a "glass half-empty" kind of guy. The facts are that the 8 years of the Bush-Cheney nightmare is over, the economy is recovering, we have now passed landmark legislation in terms of health insurance reform and financial sector reform, and we have a President who is intelligent, articulate, thoughtful, capable and restoring our image throughout the world as a country of proud, capable individuals. I am 100% confident about the future: two of my children just graduated from college and we were fortunate enough to have the President of the United States speak at their graduation. It's been a long time since I've been able to say I'm proud to be an American. I am SO proud to be able to say that today.

May 21, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  148. deb murzyn

Jack:
    I am positive about the future and know we will worik through our problems. There are doers and talkers and those who do are more optimistic. You should try it some time.

May 21, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  149. Dane

Well, Jack, history has never been without disasters and other things that warrant panic, but that's no reason to lose hope. It always marches on.

May 21, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  150. Roxy - Jacksonville Florida

Jack what future? I've been unemployed 11 months now, I have a Masters degree, I have been foreclosed on my house and evicted from my apartment there after. How much more can a single mother take. Do you think that I have a future? If so show me! By the way you did'nt post my comment yesterday concerning Mexico's president..

May 21, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  151. Stacy - San Francisco, CA

Jack – the futrure scares me! I won't have unemployment after next week, I've looking for a job for a year and nine months, crime is up, it seems easier to buy a gun then get a job, and to make it all worse if I can't pay for cable i won't be able to see you and Wolf anymore. I know i'm not alone, but when will all get better? There are more pressing things to worry about than where LeBron James will end up next season! When will the economy REALLY get better??

May 21, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  152. Marsha from Kansas

I feel very confident about the future. Perhaps you have forgotten about the dark ages. There was unbelievable poverty, lack of cleanliness, despots taking what little there was and the population of the known world was dying of plague that no one knew how to stop. And add to that there was a volcano that put such a cloud of ash into the atmosphere that there was a mini ice age. And do we need to go into the resulting religious purges and persecution. The world survived and kept on ticking. This too shall pass away.

May 21, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  153. Ron in Sequim, WA

While I don’t feel the country is headed in the right direction I’m pretty confident we’ll correct it. I’m a big believer in US exceptionalism. Get the right people in office, get government out of our daily life, and stop spending like drunken sailors and we’re sure to succeed.

May 21, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  154. Rich

Jack my good man, a nuclear armed insane dictator just attacked a sworn ally, how confident should i feel?
    – Rich from LV, Kansas

May 21, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  155. Arne

I feel very confident that the ancient Mayans were on to something when they ended their calendar on December 21, 2012!

May 21, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  156. Christian Tatonetti

The oil spill is still gushing and hurricane season is approaching.

I am not too confident about the future of wildlide and the ecological balance of North and Central America.

BP took that from us. I mean BP are taking this away from us.

From Canada

Christian Tatonetti

May 21, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  157. Jay Brandt

Very confident! A bit watered down from the high of Obama's election and inauguration with all the obstructionism of the GOP and extremism of the Tea Party...but still very hopeful. We're in so much better shape than we were during the eight dark years of the Bush administration...we're recovering financially, we're more highly respected in the rest of the world and we're putting in place protections for the American people. What scares me is the text book farce going on in Texas and other attempts to turn back the clock on progress.

May 21, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  158. Pamela

I have to say there is little hope for what would be the greatest country in the world. If you're christian, then hey, you're in the club around here. This whole place is going somewhere I don't want my son to experience. Jack, I live in Texas, a fact I take no pride in what so ever anymore. If the wingnuts who are in charge of text books get their way, then I'm selling my house, packing up my child, and moving to Tazmania. At least there, its as far away from everyone else who pretends to be a world power, far from the dingdongs trying to teach children hate and fear, and maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to give my son a future. Perhaps there, I can be confident that the future is better. In spite of the earthquakes.

May 21, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  159. Knox McCauley

Jack,
    I live in Middle Tennessee, the site of the recent devastating flooding, and over the past months I have watch the polls tell me how much the people are dissatisfied with Congress, the Economy, Wall Street, and how afraid people are of the threat of a real attack on the U.S.
    Times certainly do seem grim, but when I sit here and look out my window, where the sun is shining and I can smell the freshly cut grass in my front lawn I can't help but be optimistic about the future.
    I have faith in the people around me, and with a little help from my neighbors, some love, and the grace of God, I know that good times lie ahead for everyone. With love, all things are possible, Jack.
    – Knox McCauley

May 21, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  160. John / Charleston, SC

I have 0% confidence in the current situtation my country is in. I have the same confidence that any one in Washington has the ability to change that fact. As a result, I have been spending the last few months researching alternative countries to spend the rest of my years. My country is gone, I'm done!

May 21, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  161. Cliff Glass - East Rockaway, NY

Jack,

I believe that it was Scott Adams, creator of the Dilbert comic strip who once remarked, " You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.”
    How ironic that a comic strip author and satirist is so prescient about the United States descent in cartoon nation status.

May 21, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  162. Akil

I am very confident in the future. I believe in reason and purpose so therefore all these events are unfolding for a reason. Times of tribulation is a catalyst of faith. Unfortunately violence is a part of life in these times, because man has made it this way chasing our own dreams and fantasies. Till the Almighty Father says enough is enough, may his spirit be with us all.

May 21, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  163. Rick

It seems that way because the communication is instaneous now, with cable-internet-tv-celluar etc etc. The new media covers all the good stuff, nothing sells a story and brings in money like gloom n doom-blood n guts-sex n drugs-catastrophies natural n man made-rapin n killing-wars n protests etc.

Thanks

May 21, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  164. Antonio Colorado

I would love for the people to react and know that if we keep going this way, anarchy will prevail...But there's something in the psychology of humans that when they lose their moral values, their empires start to self destruct...I actually believe that thoughts are so powerful that we are creating this grim future because almost everyone thinks "We don't have a break, we are doomed". This kind of thinking will actually cause a self fulfilling prophecy...I will tell everyone to start thinking positive but people these days are too negative...They always need an "enemy"...It's really sad...We should turn to tolerance and comprehension...and as the hippies did before...Peace and Love...

May 21, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  165. Mike

Your forgot about "Rand's Racist Rhetoric". When we hear the racist arm of the republican party aka the tea party say " take our country back " what they now mean is back to 1963.

May 21, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  166. Justin Morreson

I personally feel very confident in the future as long as We wake up and realize the potential and opportunity for a Hemp revolution. End world hunger, solve the oil problems, make better durable clothing, and educate people on the real way to medicate. The future is bright if we would only open our eyes!

May 21, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  167. Birddog in Mississippi

The sun is shining, my kids are playing in the back yard. My lovely wife is cooking up a meal that smells pretty good. My company is hiring again, and as far as I can tell, no bombs have exploded anywhere in the US lately. I suppose when you pick the very worst prediction of one "top economist" and list the terrible events of the world, you can fritter your life away worrying about the future without changing it one whit. Or you can realize that you don't have to be rich to be wealthy, conserve energy, and be kind to the people you meet. That said, I think I'll go tend to the garden.

May 21, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  168. Ares Grimm

In all honesty, the psychological properties that hold true due to the effects of such modern events is somewhat devastating, working in a cycle of tension to create paranoia, which in turn creates destruction. As an American, I fear not only for the future of foreign countries, but also for our own. It seems that as through time, we grow more hostile toward the representatives WE select as a people. It's sad, Jack. It's really quite sad.

May 21, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  169. Jim in Arkansas

re: confidence in the future
    Jack, I'm getting nervouser and nervouser.🙂 jat

May 21, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  170. Jonathan from Jacksonville, Florida

I'm confident about the future Jack. Natural disasters are nothing new and man has been at war since the beginning of time. Imagine living in the thirties during the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl years when what little you had was worth hardly anything and the few crops you had were blowing away. We didn't give up then and we shouldn't now. What has changed is the easier access we have to news around the world. We need to continue to learn from our mistakes and not lose hope. Call me an optimist.

May 21, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  171. Amos

Other than the future of the coastlines in the Gulf of Mexico, I feel fairly confident about the future. It can’t be much worse than what’s going on now.

May 21, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  172. Jerry Cissell

I am from Kentucky. I am confident about the future as long as we keep Rand Paul out of Congress. Going back to the years business owners can turn down anyone they want. The disabled american vets. will not have access to the second floor and BP will not have to pay to clean up their mess, because accidents happen. Not a world I want to live in.

May 21, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  173. Angie

The Recession which led to the huge unemployment was caused by Republicans refusing to Regulate Business, companies, industries.
    Am I worried about going into a deeper recession?
    Only if Republicans get their way.

North Korea bombs a ship from South Korea.
    The Fan club for North Korea is a lot smaller than what it was 5 years ago.
    Am I worried about an all out war?
    I'd be more worried if we ended up in an all out war, then people like you would turn around and begin to blame President Obama for the war.

Due to not regulating safety procedures of the Oil and Gas companies corporations and industries we have had explosions 2005 BP Texas City Oil Refinery which killed 15 and seriously injured 100, we have had fatal explosions and intoxicating oil spills like the massive one in the Gulf, we have had fatal cave in's of the coal mines like the one earlier this year.
    Let's face it, we have the Republicans wanting to stop regulating companies corporations and industries to thank for that.

May 21, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  174. Chuck

we have lost our credibility around the world. no one respects us anymore. I guess we don't believe in 'Peace through Strenght " anymore. If we don't change our attitude soon we're going to pay a terrible price for it. Have we not learned from the past ? If you do not know history, you are destined to repeat it. Iran kidnapped those hikers, so they could use them for prisoner exchange, we all know that. Why are we leaving Iran jerk us around. Chuck F.

May 21, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  175. Tony Gregory

The Future is always a mystery, We actually determine what happens there by what we allow ourselves to absorb here, in the present. For me, I am an optimist and believe that humankind can still make bricks with no straw. The economy, the weather, education and war are eminent yet manageable. We have one of the most intelligent presidents in the history of this country, who, by the way, has a vision that if we allow to be actuated will lead us to the promised land. Yes we can...but, do we really want to? That is the question.

May 21, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  176. robyncaffrey ' keyser ' west virginia 26726

att jack
    you asked how confident we are about the future ?

ya know i'm getting scarred, as in the 1970's me and my little sister ' would sit around at my friends house. ( of course ' that friend
    was always drinking beer. and that friend said to us" that the world will come to an end " and the way this econnimy was dragged down, ( it sort of looks like ) the friend's saying is comming true.
    i know " ( some friend )

May 21, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  177. DAISY J.

Dear Jack, This is only going to get worse. Between the earthquakes, wars, police killings, money, thefts, ect, This is just the first half of a LONG game, with the planet on the losing end.

May 21, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  178. Michael in Phoenix

I think every generation battles with this. I am not as worried abou tmy future as I am worried about my childs future. If something is not done soon I believe she will never get to live with the freedoms I had.

Jeff Spicoli said it best.
    Hey! You know, we left this England place 'cause it was bogus; so if we don't get some cool rules ourselves – pronto – we'll just be bogus too!

The rules have been broken and so has the country.

May 21, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  179. Henry Clayton

I am very confident! Mankind has come through worse, and America has a pretty good record of overcoming adversity. We'll do it again. It may take a revolution or two, especially in the way politics are conducted and laws are past, but we will move toward sanity and survival.

May 21, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  180. Robert McDole

I, for one and sick and tired of hearing all the constant negatism spewing from you day after day. There are a myriad of positive signs and developments that predict our country will lead the world in recovering from periodic downturns in the world economy and the relationshiips between competing nations. Why don't you find some positive situations occasionally instead of constantly dwelling on all the negatives you can find, real or in your view.

May 21, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  181. Larry

TMP--Too- many- people, Simple if you thing about it. It's natures way of saying somethings wrong...

May 21, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  182. Bob in Toronto Canada

Jack, nobody can control the future. Things is going to happen whether you have confident or not in the future. Do you think dinosaurs will be here today, if they ALL HAVE confident in the future?

May 21, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  183. Patti

Jack I think you are feeling buyers remorse. You deserve what you get from President obama and his regime. Why didn't you and your CNN minions tell the truth about this man before he got elected. Now we all are suffering and are on our way to socialism. I fear we will be attacked by Islamic terrorists soon and this paper tiger of a president will do nothing to retaliate. Thanks CNN, MSNBC, NBC, CBS NPR ABC, NY Slime and the Washington Post, Newsweek and Time Mag.

May 21, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  184. Jason

Jack I try to be an optimist but at 38 years old I have not lived to see our government make the right decision, not once.
    We find a treasure trove of resources on the moon, and then de-fund our space program. We have been attacked by terrorists but instead of increasing the strength of our borders we invade a country that didn't attack us. China is crushing us economically through unfair practices and we kiss their behinds.
    The list is very long and there is a price to pay for our failure. Yes, the U.S. is a strong and amazing country that's why we have lasted this long but we can not endure this kind of ignorance from our leadership forever.

May 21, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  185. Mike

Feels great! Its Friday evening. Im gonna fire up the Bar-B-Q, and have a cold drink! To think pass that, is unnecessary stress! Hope you, and Wolf have a great weekand!

May 21, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  186. Dan from Florida

I'm don't have much confidence in things these days either. We are more divided than ever but probably don't look in the mirror enough to realize we can all probably contribute to something small and positive more often, if at all. Despite those who stand on their soap boxes to proclaim their allegiance to our country, their actions as politicians and religious zealots can't respect those who don't walk in lock step with their views. Then there are those who never met a war they didn't like.

Unfortunately, money truly is the root of all evil. Perhaps the human race is going through it's "correction."

May 21, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  187. John in East Syracuse, New York

Jack, I am confident that America's future is grim. You forgot to mention climate change, certainly the biggest long-term problem we face, which is being mostly neglected thanks to the efforts of scientifically challenged conservatives. In fact, conservatives are to blame for most of the mess we're in, at least those parts of the mess we could do something about if we weren't paralyzed by ideas such as free trade and self-regulating markets. The global corporationsare killing us. Wake up people. Or maybe you should just keep snoozing peacefully. After all, it's probably too late already.

May 21, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  188. Uche Nwakudu, Chicago

Jack! Sadly you are allowing your personal feeling of gloom and despair creep into your usually sensible commentary. You make it seem as if this is the worst period in time but you forget that our world has always looked the way it does today. Natural disasters, man-made disasters, financial and economic downturns, fears and threats of war, terrorism, and war itself have always been part of the human story. Think how bad things were last year, the year before and the one before and so on and yet, reasonable and sensible people have managed to hold out hope for a better future. Get over your glum, Jack. The future is uncertain but we can only hope for better not give in and cave in to depression today and call it quits. Lighten up.

May 21, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  189. Paulette in Dallas,PA

No. I do not feel good about the future. Yes,Mother nature has thrown us some mighty curve balls but ultimately,much of this disasterous present has been done to ourself by man. The market and the oil spill are man made problems and our inability to get along with eachother in a global society is the cause of wars. Man better wise up or he will continue on with his own undoing untill there is no man or anything else left.

May 21, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  190. Don Ritchie

Very!

I've been out of work for over a year. I'm starting a new career path with a labor union in a couple weeks. This is my ticket to a good life! I'm really excited!

May 21, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  191. Richard Christensen

We're discouraged because we are so inundated with yours and other conservative extremists' constant stinking thinking.

May 21, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  192. christopher Saskatchewan

I am very confident in future...just not in the future of humanity, mainly because of backward political mentality, greed merchants and systemic corruption.

There are political elements at work today which run so counter to human progress that no matter how you add it up, it spells "doom".

Until "Humanity First" becomes the focus of human endeavour the outlook will be extremely bleak.

May 21, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  193. Kwadwo Optimistic,

Jack the truth is that the world has over the ages been both a domain of pessimism and optimism ...Being optimistic or pessimistic about the future is directly proportional to the Individual's personal outlook

....Kwadwo , Howard County ..Maryland

May 21, 2010 at 6:34 pm |
  194. Tim Leeny

In College we are taught ethics and values in just about every business course offered. But in the real world, I see no one who practices it? Why? Now I find out that departments in our own Government are betraying us in favor of a foreign oil companies interests. Our gulf coast, and soon our east coast will be a dead zone because of this. Where is the shame? If today is any indication of our future, I see a United State flying a different flag then what is flying now.

May 21, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  195. Chelsea

Chelsea, 16, Illinois

I’m appalled at you people. How can you say this world is doomed? How can you say we’ve no where to go? Maybe the future isn’t as bright as it was when the baby-boomers were young, but it certainly isn’t as dark as you’re making it seem! It’s not as if humans haven’t worked themselves out of corners before. I’m sixteen years old, if I looked at my future the way you people are looking at the future of our world then I would be suicidal and my school counselor would send me to a therapist. Get a grip! Face the problems head on! Suck it up! In the words of my favorite Disney character “Just keep swimming!”

May 21, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
  196. John Long Island

2012 is coming Jack! Mother nature is striking back every where you look and we are not listening. The earth is a breathing living entity....there have been 5 mass extinctions over the ages and the probability another is likely. We are infecting mother earth and she will defend herself. Mankind is headed for drastic changes in the way we have to live. The end is not coming....rather the end if the way we know our comfortable lifestyles.....stay tuned

May 21, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  197. Tim in Texas

I love how you always pick the worst possible prediction of one economist. You know, I look outside and it seems to me that houses still exist, people are still walking around and going to work, and most of us have a lot of stuff – maybe too much. Hiring is way up, and people may be starting to realize that oil is not the answer. The response to Haiti was great, and thus far the government has mostly kept that slick from hitting shore. The only thing that scares me is the Tea Party folks who would like to throw us back into the 1900's.

May 21, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  198. Uche Nwakudu, Chicago

Jack, the world will end tommorow! Can I have the money in your bank account? The irrational dwell in gloom, the sensible live in hope! You make it sound so worse than it is and that's foolish!

May 21, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  199. kay from kennesaw georgia

I am scared. The dynamics of the ongoing economical crisis are still mounting as we chase solutions w/out resolve. The 20/20 hindsight of one disaster after another, continues to reflect an "action w/out long term consideration" continues to make us vulnerable to consequences never considered till after the fact. This careless approach of overspending, drilling w/out precautions in place, while we fire teachers due to budget cuts, shelf infrastructure projects due to lack of funding, and more, continues to evolve into the "perfect storm" that I don't think any of us can imagine......BTW......I AM an eternal optimist, and do think we'll prevail, but I'm a realist and think we're no where near bottoming out....that's the scarry part....where, when, does/will it end, and w/ that uncertainty, recovery is mind boggling...

May 21, 2010 at 6:41 pm |
  200. G. Owens

Its easy to look at the present with blinders on feel the world is coming to an end but I'm old enough to remember the threat of eminent of nuclear annihilation, Hurricane Camille and Andrew, earthquakes in Mexico City, China, and Anchorage Alaska, etc. Civilization has survived Hitler, the Great Depression, Pompeii, the cruelty and conquest of the Roman Empire and the Dark Ages. Yet there was a future in store for a far better life in each and every case. Confidence in our ability to confront everything life throws at us should be what you promote on your show, Jack, not doom and gloom. C'mon Jack. Show you fans a big smile and say to everyone "Thank God, we live in an age of cell phones, the Internet, and 24-hour news channels".

May 21, 2010 at 6:45 pm |
  201. C Arbon

How confident do I feel about the future, Jack? I live in New Orleans, how confident should I be? When C. G. Admiral Landry tells us to pray that BP can find a way to cap the leak , then Doug Suttles goes on Good Morning America and says "maybe we won't be able to cap the well until August" and hurricane season starts in a week, how confident can any one of us be? The Feds are continuing to let the "fox run the henhouse" INEPTLY! I'm not sure we have a future in Louisiana or Mississippi!

May 21, 2010 at 6:47 pm |