May 18th, 2010

Women better educated, earn more than their husbands?

ALT TEXT

(PHOTO ILLUSTRATION: THINKSTOCK)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

"You aren't too smart, are you? I like that in a man." That was the actress Kathleen Turner in the movie Body Heat. She was speaking to the character played by William Hurt.

It's one of the greatest movie lines ever; and 30 years later, it may resonate with a growing number of marriages.

That's because compared to men, women are advancing more when it comes to education and their careers. This translates into more women marrying men who are less educated and earning less money than they do.

A recent Pew study shows 22 percent of married women made more than their husbands in 2007. That number is up sharply from four percent in 1970.

When it comes to education, women make up about 60 percent of students with advanced degrees in fields like medicine, law, business and other graduate programs.

Also, the recession has hit men harder... with nearly five million jobs being lost by men, compared to two million for women.

So how does this change in traditional gender roles affect marriages? In some cases, experts say there's still a stigma on men who make less... and that professional women don't want to "marry down."

But others insist it works for them: one executive at a Wall Street firm says she finds her husband's career as a dog-walker refreshing. Others say couples can have a healthy marriage as long as both spouses share similar goals and values.

Here’s my question to you: What does it say when many women are better educated and make more money than their husbands?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

David in Virginia writes:
Your dinosaur bones are showing, Jack. At what point do "traditional roles" of barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen give way to "traditional roles" of equal partners and competitors? I don't think half the people under 25 in the country would even understand the relevance of your question to the realities of their experience and expectations.

Donna in Wisconsin writes:
I'm not sure I understand your question, Jack. You have never asked 'What does it say when many husbands are better educated and make more money than their wives'? Women have always been smarter - we are able to multi-task much better than men. But men have always been afraid of us being their equal. I think it is a religious thing: God created MAN and then woman. He left the best til last!

Michael writes:
If 22 percent of women earn more than their husbands, then 78 percent of husbands earn more. This tells us we are slowly approaching gender equality in the workplace and still have a long way to go.

B. writes:
I have a higher degree than my husband, and so do most my married female friends. Traditional-gender roles are slowly becoming less and less important… It is a new age where women are finally being looked upon as equals, and much of that has to do with the lengths we have traveled to promote education.

Taylor writes:
I think that as long as the bills get paid and both are happy that nothing else matters.

Tracy in Sarasota, Florida writes:
Uh, duh! It's what we've been telling the world all along. Women are smarter than men. That's why you should just listen to us and do what we say.

Filed under: Education
  1. Ben

I think it says that those women got a better education than their spouse and thus make more money.

Why does every study/statistic have to have some broad generalizing meaning?

May 18, 2010 at 1:29 pm |
  2. Kevin in Dallas

Does it say that men can now moan about how our gender is holding us back?

May 18, 2010 at 1:36 pm |
  3. Hugo Kijne, Hoboken NJ

It would say that there is equity among the sexes in the US, which unfortunately is not the case.

May 18, 2010 at 1:37 pm |
  4. BJ

Virginia Beach, VA

Women Have no problem making more money than their husbands. They're probably working in a field they enjoy...The problem is society has placed such pressure on men regarding money that it can be to much for the marriage to bear. Ego's from Men..Guilt from the Women.
    Men and Women must change their view of Income and Providing....Men can Always be Providers of the family without necessarily bringing in more money.

May 18, 2010 at 1:44 pm |
  5. Michele Braun

It's about Dam time !
    Michele Shawnee

May 18, 2010 at 1:48 pm |
  6. Jurgen R. Brul

Hello Jack Cafferty and CNN friends,

It say that most men work overtime in their private teen years and many women did not. That is why many women are better educated and make more money than their husbands!

Greetings,
    Jurgen R. Brul

May 18, 2010 at 1:50 pm |
  7. altaloman

It says that education does count for something after all, as it usually does. Regarding regarding every household, it is true that one spouse or the other will be the main bread winner. if it is the woman, due to education and career track, then so be it! ~ Mike (Anaheim, CA)

May 18, 2010 at 1:51 pm |
  8. Rick McDaniel

Simple. More women than men, and women are provided for, more than men, who are expected to take care of themselves.

That gives women a total advantage, if they can keep from having kids, while in school (which ought to be easy enough today....but....)

Employers also prefer women as employees, 1. cheaper 2. more likely to be "yes" people. 3. more controllable

May 18, 2010 at 1:51 pm |
  9. southerncousin

That we should give up Title IX and quotas, they are not needed anymore?

May 18, 2010 at 1:53 pm |
  10. MBG (NY)

First, I say its about time. Second, I like to know where this is happenning. Maybe I need to move there. My husband and I work for different companies, but we have the same title, same duties and responsibilities. I have 21 years experience, he has 10 years experience, he makes $15K more than I do - I just don't get it.

May 18, 2010 at 1:54 pm |
  11. JENNA

It says that men are getting lazy expecting their women to take care of them!

Jenna
    Roseville CA

May 18, 2010 at 1:57 pm |
  12. Jerry Driskell

I'd say the guy did a {great} job picking a mate !
    Jerry in Blairsville, GA

May 18, 2010 at 2:00 pm |
  13. Penny Fairview, Texas

That tells me that although these women are smart and have high paying jobs they still married beneath themselves. While they succeed in financial stability they are lacking in common sense.

May 18, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
  14. Craig R. McNees

tampa, fl apparently you have never been divorced, jack. men do make money, and often have trouble learning the concept of sharing. my first divorce court judge introduced me to the concept. as did the 2nd, and 3rd. i'm staying married to this one, i'm broke.

May 18, 2010 at 2:12 pm |
  15. Kevin of CA

It says that family law, and affirmative action programs have done their job in emasculating men to the point of failures.

May 18, 2010 at 2:19 pm |
  16. Cheryl

There have been several resarch pieces on the infantliization of men in America. I assume this is the answer to your question. Women go to college – men play video games.

May 18, 2010 at 2:26 pm |
  17. frank

Mine does. with the employment in the toilet in this country, count your blessings.

May 18, 2010 at 2:27 pm |
  18. Joe R - Houston

Men are working smarter instead of harder?

May 18, 2010 at 2:30 pm |
  19. Al, Lawrence KS

I've always said my wife is smarter than I am...at least she wins all the arguments...and that's why I have been married for 35 years.

May 18, 2010 at 2:32 pm |
  20. Greg in PA

It says there are a lot of smart husbands out there! You don't have to be educated to have common sense, marry a rich woman work less, fine by me!

May 18, 2010 at 2:36 pm |
  21. Susan Frost

Once upon a time husbands were a necessary evil, now they're not...necessary, that is.

Susan
    Tuscaloosa AL

May 18, 2010 at 2:39 pm |
  22. Tina Tx

It tells me that women are sick and tired of staying home and wiping noses and behinds and would rather be in the workforce kicking behinds and leaving their husbands to do the jobs that are really meant for a woman.

May 18, 2010 at 2:40 pm |
  23. Nesquick

I've noticed more and more of this happening myself.
    I think women are so use to working so hard and getting so much done at home that it makes sense they'd carry that same gumption into the schools they go to and their jobs. I'm not surprised that this is happening. Men are use to getting away with giving as little as possible and it being okay by society's standards. This is where it's going to bite them in their butts. Women are use to having to do 10 times as much and getting 90% less the credit.

May 18, 2010 at 2:40 pm |
  24. Tom, Avon, Me, The Heart of Democracy

God is a woman.

May 18, 2010 at 2:43 pm |
  25. Paul New Port Richey, Fl

Congratulations and well done. What's for dinner?

May 18, 2010 at 2:44 pm |
  26. Tom McGrath

Well Jack I will tell you that the husband should be the bread winner so that his wife can be a mother if she wants to be. If women want to work and are more educated then their husbands then they should have the better job and that is fair.

Beverly Hills, California

May 18, 2010 at 2:44 pm |
  27. Paul Austin, Texas

It depends on how you look at it. In my case it is fact. By the time I was able to go to college my parents did not have enough money to send me and I also got drafted and sent to Viet Nam which changed my whole views on life itself. I got back home and went to work loading an unloading trucks and worked my way up through the ranks to become Plant Manager. Believe me it was not easy. One thing it says is that now both men and women are no longer caught up in the man has to make top dollar for a couple to be sucessful. I am proud of my wife and I am sure many more men are proud of theirs also.

May 18, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
  28. Connie, Chicago, IL

It states that the old role of women as "happy-raising- the-kids and say at home moms are an endangered species. It says that women are more than capable of running the boardroom as the ironing board.. It says "I am secure, confident, intelligent, independent, and proud of whom I am." I AM WOMAN!!! It also states that I don't necessarily need your approval.
    e

May 18, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
  29. Mountain lady from PA

It seems to be a growing trend. My daughters both are college graduates and make more money than there husbands. One son-in-law is a college graduate and is definitely underemployed besides working part time and the other has two years of college. I wanted my daughters to be able to support themselves, but did not consider that they would be providing more than 1/2 the family income!

May 18, 2010 at 2:54 pm |
  30. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

That if the marriage is solid then the husband can play more golf and go fishing every weekend. It's not so bad being on easy street or being a house husband getting hooked on CNN and Soaps.

May 18, 2010 at 2:54 pm |
  31. Leslie

Says I can retire early.

May 18, 2010 at 2:58 pm |
  32. Simon/Orlando

It means that women's rights have come a long way and they should stop complaining about equality of opportunity.

May 18, 2010 at 3:00 pm |
  33. Donna Wisconsin

I'm not sure I understand your question, Jack. You have never asked 'What does it say when many husbands are better educated and make more money than their wives'? Women have always been the smarter–we are able to multi-task much better than men. But men have always been afraid of us being their equal. I think it is a religious thing: God created MAN and then woman. He left the best til last!

May 18, 2010 at 3:03 pm |
  34. Mike L.

Sad to think this could be labeled as a social change of equality in our country in 2010, however ...by 2011 there will be 2.6 million more female than male university students in America. Now even more than ever companies are still looking towards becoming more efficienct. It appears to me that companies are now deliberately starting to utilize an undervalued resource. Its clear to me that companies seeking out women to employee and even lead divisions within, are seeking talent over gender, and willing to pay for this talent. Healthy competition has always been apart of American Industry, and now it seems more and more women are willing and bringing their A-game.

Chicago IL

May 18, 2010 at 3:08 pm |
  35. Lou from Fayetteville, NC

We have decided that there really is no glass ceiling when you are educated and know how to sell an idea or product in 4 minutes which is length of time a man can concentrate. Women can multi-task which puts them ahead of 99% of the men. All we really had to do was learn to think like a man and that only took one course in college. We have been very fortunate to make money these days and in many cases, we make more than men would make in the same jobs because most of us don't have the baggage the men like to carry around. If we have affairs, the man pays. We have come a long way, Baby.

May 18, 2010 at 3:14 pm |
  36. Janice From Delaware

It means that it's about time !!!!!

May 18, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
  37. Lori - PA

Jack,

I would say that it means that people are finally realizing the glass ceiling has to go.

May 18, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
  38. Ed from California

Maybe mankind is making progress. Or, perhaps some Union protocols are now being explored by non-union companies.

May 18, 2010 at 3:23 pm |
  39. Pete from Georgia

What does it say ??
    It say's the world is evolving........................and it's all good.

May 18, 2010 at 3:23 pm |
  40. John from Alabama

Jack: A philospher once wrote, that marriage is what marriage is no less no more. No one knows the philospher's name. To some people who makes the most money seems to matter in a marriage, but the happiest marriages are those that pay the bills on time. Money will not make you happy, but it will pay the mortgage, food, heating, gasolne, and transportation bills. Contentment should never be overrated, Jack.

May 18, 2010 at 3:25 pm |
  41. Mark, Oklahoma City

I'd say it's about damn time!

May 18, 2010 at 3:26 pm |
  42. David Alexandria VA

Your dinosaur bones are showing Jack - at what point do "traditional roles" of barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen give way to "tradtiional roles" of equal partners and competitors? I don't think half the people under 25 in the country would even understand the relevance of your question to the realities of their experience and expectations.

May 18, 2010 at 3:26 pm |
  43. Greg, Ontario

It means that maybe women are finally seeing themselves as the equals they are and men are accepting it. How it effects the home or marriage depends on the attitudes of the people involved.

May 18, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
  44. Bizz Quarryville, Pennsylvania

I always knew that women were a lot smarter than men. Women take their time to think. Women are even smart enough not to leave men know that they are smarter. I knew of a friend who told a woman that when his father dies he will become a millionaire. A month later that woman became his stepmother. Only a woman could think like that.

May 18, 2010 at 3:30 pm |
  45. Cy Gardner

It says: let them have the heart attacks. Let them lose custody of their kids to their spouse. Let them get jealous of children who bond closer with the house parent than the working parent. Let them pay the alimony. Let them carry the weight, pay the bills, do the worrying, listen to the nagging and be the butt of jokes for sitcoms and spoiled kids. Let them wonder if hubby's headaches are an emerging tumor or a convenient way to dodge intimacy. You've come a long way, baby! Now shut up and get back to work!!! cy arlington,va

May 18, 2010 at 3:30 pm |
  46. Rick Medina,OH

Jack,

This is a non-issue. It means that the great American Experiment can ring the bell and chalk up another success. Equal opportunity means exactly what the term implies ... that anyone can excel.

Rick,
    Medina,OH

May 18, 2010 at 3:34 pm |
  47. Mark Northern PA

The real question is "are women who are educated getting the same pay as their male counterparts in the same job? If not then thats the real problem. Why should we be surprised if women who are better educated than their husbands get better jobs and pay. Its only fair unless, you are a male bigot. My wife is better educated and she works hard and makes more than me in a professional job, and I am proud of her. If I didn't like that I certainly have the option of going back to school. We shouldn't think we need to dumb down women because they are getting paid more for working in jobs that requuire more education.

May 18, 2010 at 3:36 pm |
  48. Chryssa

Men were king when physical labor mattered most. Obviously that's shifted over the past couple of generations, and as our society continues to value education and good ideas, men are being left behind. They're still taught that as long as they're physically strong, they'll make it in life.

I'm a professional middle-class woman and I don't care how much a guy makes, but I've had some boyfriends become uncomfortable when they realize they make less than I do and can't afford the same type of house or car.

Boise, ID

May 18, 2010 at 3:37 pm |
  49. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Jack: I think it is a social role reversal--we always heard about the "kept woman,"---now we are looking at the "kept man,"-–and I for one-–have no compliants--however---my "kept wife" of 42 years might differ with that. Whatever floats their boats.

May 18, 2010 at 3:38 pm |
  50. Lou in San Francisco

It says those "obnoxious" feminists such as Ms. Steinem, Helen Gurley Brown,etc. should be applauded for lifting women out of the Mad Men world of the 50's and 60's.

May 18, 2010 at 3:41 pm |
  51. naqibham

It says they had smart husbands!

May 18, 2010 at 3:42 pm |
  52. Michael Roepke - Dallas

What does it say?
    Who always does their homework in high school? Who gets up early to do house work? Who is more apt to live within their means? Who is less likely to by a luxury car or other status symbol? Who is more likely to get along with co-workers? And who is less likely to want to go to war?
    It says that if we want a better world we need to put the women in charge. The Supreme Court seems to be a good start.

May 18, 2010 at 3:45 pm |
  53. EE Wiese

In my opinion, Women are as intelligent or more intelligent than men.The difference in pay has been a stumblling block for wwomen,especially, my wife. I know mr.moms who are very happy,and thats more important than jobs and salaries. Better get an academic degree,it's a great union card for some people. Gene

May 18, 2010 at 3:48 pm |
  54. KDS Irvine, CA

It says that the traditional roles between Men and Women are changing rapidly. Women, by tradition have always made less money than men. Women understand that they're going to have seek high education to be on the same playing field as men in the business world.

I find a business woman attractive because they have confidence, independence, and they know what they want.

May 18, 2010 at 3:49 pm |
  55. adem, oakland califiornia

At the same time the divorce rate has increased drastically. ops!

May 18, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
  56. Ken from Maryland

It says that many women are better educated and make more money than their husbands. What more is there to say? Is this a problem? Of course not! From year to year, my wife and I swap off as to who makes more. Who really cares? If a man feels less of a man for making less money than his wife, then he's less of a man to begin with. Grow up.

May 18, 2010 at 4:06 pm |
  57. Conor in Chicago

It says that 88% of men still make more than their spouses. Basically it means that life is filled with variety and this is a boring question.

May 18, 2010 at 4:07 pm |
  58. Ryan in Galesburg, IL

It simply means that they aren't fixed on the antiquated norms that still grip much of our politics and society.

May 18, 2010 at 4:07 pm |
  59. Viv from NY

Doesn't mean much . Women are still paid less than men in many cases when preforming the same job. Face it Jack women are smarter than men and finally they are getting more opportunities to prove it.

May 18, 2010 at 4:12 pm |
  60. pat in michigan

It shows that men traditionally did physical labor jobs. In factorys, farms and construction.When the women finally escaped the role of firekeeper and cave cleaner they went into fields that needed organizational skills and there was the added bonus that they would do more for less money so daddy's ego didn't get bruised.
    What a country!

May 18, 2010 at 4:17 pm |
  61. Ed

There is a reason why husbands refer to their wives as their "Better Half" it looks like the educational and business world are starting to see why as well.

May 18, 2010 at 4:20 pm |
  62. Maria

Maybe we are more goal-oriented now, have gained the confidence in ourselves needed to step up and insist we be paid what we are worth, and maybe the past generation of women have raised sons and shown husbands that the world does not come to an end when women do well, and it can be liberating for them as much as for women.

Maria

Brunswick, MD

May 18, 2010 at 4:26 pm |
  63. Terry in Chandler, AZ

This simply means that years of hard work have paid off. In a few years perhaps there will be no glass ceiling for women. Unfortunately that glass ceiling will remain in place for other minorities. We should hope that hard work will forever demolish that glass ceiling. The good ol boy network will do all they can to keep it in place.

May 18, 2010 at 4:27 pm |
  64. Joe CE

Equal rights for women has finally arrived – almost.

May 18, 2010 at 4:28 pm |
  65. Vanessa

just because less women were unemployed does mean they weren't hit harder. you need more statistics with that fact you pulled up. 2 million out of how many workers? and for men? 5 million out of how many? there might be less female workers than male to begin with. just saying.

May 18, 2010 at 4:31 pm |
  66. Meg from Troy

Jack–
    What does it really matter? My husband and I had equal master degrees, but he chose to be an educational administrator and I remained a classroom teacher. He made more money than I did, but I had more flexibility than he did. It all came out in the wash. People have to make their lives work.

May 18, 2010 at 4:38 pm |
  67. Paul, PE Canada

I think women have always felt the need to surpass expectations in order to justify themselves in whatever capacity that might be. I feel safe, as a man, in saying that men are generally stupid and lazy. And now as society slowly progresses, they are being surpassed. Although I am not so sure they are surpassing men income wise yet... they should be.

May 18, 2010 at 4:44 pm |
  68. Brittany

I think what this says, is that society is changing. It shows that men can no longer keep riding on the coat tails of patriarchy.

May 18, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
  69. Michael, Alexandria, VA

It says women are becoming more enlightened about allowing their husbands to not be the bread winner. Now, if they will only let us not work outside the home. I don't think we have quite gotten to that stage yet – at least not in our household.

May 18, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
  70. Lynnette

I'm one of those women. It just says that I make more than my husband. It all goes into one money pot anyway.

May 18, 2010 at 4:50 pm |
  71. frankie

In the reality of our society where men get paid more than women for the same job, it is a sign of poverty. I'm a woman who held a job for many years that used to be traditionally held by men who earned more for the same work. Eventually my job got outsourced to people in third-world countries who only earn a dollar an hour for the same work........

May 18, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
  72. Greg H - Minneapolis

Jack, the answer is that it puts to rest the "equal pay for comperable work" argument once in for all. It is clear that to succeed, one must be well educated to be able to say something more than "Would you like fries with that?" when on the job. That is the way it has always been, and always will be. Not everyone can succeed in pro sports, or win the lottery, but higher education always has the potential for a better job than a high school dropout.

May 18, 2010 at 4:52 pm |
  73. Joe Ft Walton Bch Fl

It says that I did good by choosing the right woman for a wife. She can spend her money on herself instead using mine.

May 18, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  74. Paulette in Dallas,PA

To each her own. I do disagree with the findings of this study. According to research done years ago,if a couple has more than four years difference in education between them then the marriage will not work. I've seen it many times. The more educated one becomes bored with the uneducated/lesser educated one. If the woman and man are both educated but the woman has a little more and is making more money then it may just work out fine. On the other hand,if the woman or man has a Masters or Phd and the other spouse is a drop out I truly doubt if after the "honeymoon" period that they will be able to survive all of the trials of marriage. Sooner or later the more educated one will want to talk with someone. The only way such an unbalanced relationship would work out is if a wealthy educated man selected a "trophy" wife irregardless of education or a n educated wealthy Cougar hooks herself up with a "trophy stud."

May 18, 2010 at 4:55 pm |
  75. Allen in Hartwell GA

Jack, call me a pig, but I think that women entering the work force and doing traditional has ruined our family life. Also, there are many men earning below their capacity because there are so many women in the work force.
    As for being better educated, who cares? Education doesn't mean that much when it comes to doing a job. Skill and aptitude go much farther, and you don't have to be "educated" to have those traits.
    Anonymous
    Any City, Any State

May 18, 2010 at 4:56 pm |
  76. Rebecca in SC

Perhaps women are better educated because they are less influenced by America's rampant anti-intellectualism and therefore take education more seriously. As to the other part of your question, while some women may make more money than their husbands, that remains the exception rather than the rule. Why not ask the question another way: "Why do 78% of married women make less money than their husbands?" In spite of women's accomplishments, they still have a long way to go.

May 18, 2010 at 4:59 pm |
  77. Marlene

It just says that at some point in their life the goals were different. Women may have felt it necessary to have more educatin to be able to compete with men, in the work place. Or it may have just been that they wanted more education. The question should be how do men feel when they are married to someone more educated and who makes more money than they do? The education/money equation has been a relative recent development so it may take years to see the ramifications. Marlene in Mich

May 18, 2010 at 5:05 pm |
  78. John from San Antonio

The pendulum theory is once again proven.

May 18, 2010 at 5:05 pm |
  79. honest john in vermont

My friends wife makes much more money than he does. At first he didn't like it and his pride was hurt. Now he thinks it's a great idea mainly because she spends more money on him. Last year she bought him a nice boat.

May 18, 2010 at 5:06 pm |
  80. Joe in VA

Jack, it means times have changed for the better. I grew up admiring strong women. My dad died when I was 17, my dad's father died when my father was 16. Both my mother and grandmother struggled the rest of their lives and endured through hard work and grit, limited by education and opportunity. When my wife and I had two daughters, I swore they would never be totally reliant on a husband. I always told them to shoot for what they wanted and to set their sights high. Develop skills that could carry the family in case of loss of a spouse. Now both hold graduate degrees and are, frankly, smarter and stronger people then their husbands. I love our sons-in-law but thank God we live in a time when women can purse any career they wish.

Chatham, VA

Chatham, VA

May 18, 2010 at 5:07 pm |
  81. Ralph Spyer

It must say the better education you have the more money you make,the first lady always made more then her husband.

May 18, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
  82. Cy Gardner

It may be "refreshing" that your husband is a dog walker when you are talking to the media. I'm sure a woman working on Wall St. would never throw that in her hubby's face during an argument. And I'll bet she's proud to tell the sharks around the water cooler that leashes and pooper scoopers are tax deductible on her return. Whether you are a bread winner or a dog walker, when your wife wants to kvetch, she will kvetch. If that leads to divorce, I bet the dog walker still ends up paying alimony to Wonder Woman. cy from arlington, va

May 18, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  83. riley oday

I loved it when an EX made more than me. I finally got to spend some

money other than mine. I can think of it even now and still get some

enjoyment. That was the good life.

May 18, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  84. Joe

Jack,

Traditional male jobs, such as in manufacturing have fallen down the drain of outsourcing and now the few high paying jobs are based upon education for specific academic skills. The fact that many women are better educated and earn more money than their husbands is because of the chivalric world we live-in. Men have to go to work at a younger age, whereas, the women are sent to school, which ultimately results in better paying jobs. In addition, I think you will find the women rule most of our education institutions, so try to be a man and get a job at many secondary schools.

Joe, Binghamton, NY

May 18, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  85. Dennis north Carolina

If they can live with it, there should be no question.

May 18, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  86. Gary - Woodhaven, Michigan

What this entire topic says is that as human beings we have far to go in order to transcend all that is wrong with this society.

We continue to measure and to judge each other. It is when we become compassionate, grateful, hopeful, faithful, and loving towards one another is when this society will become functional.

May 18, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  87. Dave

The glass ceiling is finally broken. Now she can bring home the bacon and cook it too!!!

May 18, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  88. Don (Belleville, Ontario)

It says to me that humans will have a better chance of developing into a just and caring society.
    Let's face it. Men have given us factory farms, Wall Street greed, and war upon war upon war.
    Hopefully women will have a more nurturing approach to every aspect of life, and better results will follow as the ladies gradually take over the reins of government and industry.
    The change of power can't come soon enough.

May 18, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  89. john

How could we expect it to be any different? In the push to equalize roles in the country between women and men, its only natural that this would be the case. The layoff numbers reflect that as well. This is non-news. I would go so far as to say that in pushing diversity and equality, naturally opportunities will diminish for men.

May 18, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  90. Jerry Johns Creek, GA

They married the wrong man!

May 18, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  91. Nell

It says that women are more motivated than men. Motivation in high school and college prepares women to earn good salaries later. Eventually, we'll even elect more women to office because they are, in general, better educated than men.

May 18, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  92. jim in Iowa

Jack–when I was in college, I heard a woman at a rally say we wouldnt have full equality for women until there were incompetent women in top positions. I dont remember her talking about pay, but it looks like equality between the sexes is here.

May 18, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  93. Jan

It says that competent women are confident and not afraid of out-earning their husbands and conident men don't mind. I have outearned my huisband for over 20 years and it has allowed him to be self employed at what he loves.I am now retired and it is his turn to support me. Love it, love it. El Paso, TX

May 18, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  94. Jared

Jack,
    I am married to a wonderful wife who wears many hats. She's my love, she's a mother and she's a college professor. She makes more than my part time pizza delivery job, by a long shot. I'm perfectly ok with that though, I get to do something my father never had a chance, I get to stay at home most of the time and raise our son. It's a true blessing.

May 18, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  95. Susan from Idaho

Education or no, we are the smarter of the two sexes. Eve, Dalila, and Cleopatra are proof of that. As for more money at the payroll point, who cares it all spends the same. Even a smart man can tell you that.

May 18, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  96. Roger

It means that when she tells me she loves me for who I am and not my money, I KNOW that I can believe her.

That's cool.🙂

May 18, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  97. Pearl, the heights

My husband makes all of the money, and I spend it.

I guess that makes me the better educated one, doesn't it, Jack?

(wink, wink).

May 18, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  98. ben stockton, calif

not in my household.im better educated than my wife, not to say she is a bad person and she has told me numerous times that she doesnt feel inferior to me and i dont want her to be. we will have spent the last 50 years together and she is the love of my life. i could have never chosen a better mate. two wonderful children and 3 grandkids .. it dont get any better than that. we save money together, travel when it is reasonable for us to do so. we share our good times along with the not so good times together and we have each others shoulder to lean on.you young guys and gals, marriage isnt something you spit on , it is a commitment until death do us part...

May 18, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  99. Gigi Oregon

I wonder who's responsible for this. It seems to me it was men who kept women's wage scale down. Women today seem to take matters into their own hands. Don't get mad just get even or another way to say it... Get your education then look for that man. I look at my daughters today and the energy they have to have it all, makes my head swim. But I wonder how many will have a golden Anniversary as their parents had. What maters most in today's family having quality or quantity.

May 18, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  100. Phil, georgia

It says nothing but to those who are insecure in themselves. I will be a man nomatter how much my partner makes. How much she makes does not change who I am or my role that I want to play in the relationship. I might have to adjust, and expect her to have a little more say so b/c she makes the most but as long as she does not use it as a whipping tool, I'm fine.

May 18, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  101. barbara parker

What it says is that if you follow the right path, do the things necessary to achieve what you want, is that it does not matter if you are in a dress, or a pair of pants. If no one hasn't noticed, women wear both!

May 18, 2010 at 5:59 pm |
  102. James in Idaho

Jack, it says quite simply that bitter women who felt forced to be at home concentrated on educating and raising their daughters, but just helping their sons survive until they could fend for themselves. But don't get me wrong, if dear old dad hadn't been such an obnoxious, overbearing and irresponsible nimrod, mom wouldn't have anythign to be bitter about.

I, as a new father, intend to completely obliterate that cycle when raising my daughter. She will know self empowerment from her father, and she will know that her son must be as empowered, if not more so, than I may yet be capable of giving her. We reap what we sew, and that goes for both genders.

May 18, 2010 at 6:01 pm |
  103. Nurse Lisa in Shelton CT

It means we're still fighting for our right to a better future; now if we could just get paid the same as our male counterparts doing the same jobs we might be doing something.

May 18, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  104. Michael from Keller, Texas

That men have abdicated their roles as the head of the household and as the primary breadwinner. It is a sad commentary to what amounts as a breakdown in the fabric of our society and shows that some men have grown lazy and feel no need to be an example to other young men and to even their own family.

May 18, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  105. Matt

I'm in Riverview, Fl.

It says that women are staying in school longer than they have in the past. Because they are earning better positions, and the gender gap is closing, women will much more commonly find themselves making more than their husbands.

May 18, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  106. Rick - Colorado

More women are realizing the value of an education.

May 18, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  107. Brandon in Alaska

I'm not sure that I consider anyone who can't change a tire or the oil in their car "better educated". We've all got something to prove, I guess...

Brandon in Anchorage

May 18, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  108. Michael in Phoenix

Perhaps the idea of equal rights will become reality. Up until now it is said but it is not reality.

May 18, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
  109. steve- virginia beach

It says that we're getting very close to finding out how women will react to men playing the gender card. Then the "you don't help me enough" card. And the "you don't listen to me" and "you don't appreciate what I do" cards. But they can forget about the headache card.

May 18, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  110. Meredith

As a single 25 year old woman about to graduate with a Master's degree in Entertainment Business, I'm well aware that my chances of finding a husband that is equally educated and ambitious is going to be difficult. My standards have definitely changed over the years, and whether that's a good or a bad thing remains to be seen. Where have all of the motivated men gone?

May 18, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  111. Aj

Less stress for me, If she makes the bulk of the money then she is the one that has to worry about the house payment. I am a personal trainer, there is no-way i am pulling down lawyer type money. I figure the women i marry more then likely will make more then me. I got into my work because i love to do it, not for the money.

May 18, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  112. Steven Dudley

I think it says that we are fortunate to live in a time when outdated gender roles are slowly going away.

May 18, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  113. Fred Marshe

Wish I'd found one!

Orange Park, FL

May 18, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  114. Jason, Koloa HI

Men are just evolving faster. We've already had our let's make lots of money and get power phase and now many men are grasping the bigger picture and realizing how meaningless the pursuit of wealth and power is. It's all temporary and if I can find a woman that will go to work and let me sit home and believe that than she is perfect for me.

May 18, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  115. Nicole, Plano, TX

It says that women are smarter than men, but that's not exactly breaking news, is it?

May 18, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  116. taylor riley

i think that as long as the bills get paid and both are happy that nothing else matters

May 18, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  117. Brian

Real men marry a doctor.

May 18, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  118. Patty Arella

It says...men, get off your butts and get that degree. Don't think the world will come to you because you're a male. That job in industry isn't just automatically there for you any more.

May 18, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  119. patty

It means that a whole lot of women got really tired about being at the other end of the spectrum and did something about it!

May 18, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  120. Tracy - Sarasota

May 18, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  121. Chris

It says that more women are likewise not fulfilling their first and foremost responsibility – that of properly managing their households rather than pulling in a salary. When we wonder why the morals and purpose of our youth are declining, why is it that we don't point to the mothers first? Perhaps it also says that the real men of America are fulfilling their first role – because for the past decade they have been fighting and dying to keep women and children safe.

May 18, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  122. Kari

It simply means that when woman have the opportunity to compete equally against men in academics and the work-force, they out perform the men.

May 18, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  123. Mrs. L

When you get married, "I" becomes "we." Regardless of who the bread-winner is, you have to come together to make things work. I don't mind that my husband makes less, as long as we can compromise and make decisions for the good of our family. It is harder for women though, because regardless of our income – we are still housekeepers, mothers, wives....even if you bring home the bacon you're still expected to fry it up!

Spring, Texas

May 18, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  124. Robbert Spag

In tribal Africa, the women bare the children, build the house, cook the food, and, do all the work. The men hunt and fish. Jack in my opinion we are going in the right dirrection. So don't make to much of a stink about this on the air please.

May 18, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  125. Nelson in NC

It really doesn't say much of anything other than that more women than men seem to think an education is important. Maybe they are smarter on average than we are.

May 18, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  126. Andy (Teacher)

Westchester, NY

The flip side to this argument is that there are people like me who are well education and African American who cannot find anybody to make a life with. Will celebrate 40 years this year and have given up on finding any suitable person to marry....so the education of men is not even a factor in my consideration.

May 18, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  127. Patrice

Yes. Marrying a man that has a down to earth quality is so important when women are working with the complexities of the corporate world. Other than a woman's enjoyment of the career growth itself, there really isn't much value in the business world. It is so very nice to have someone that truly cares about you that is not competing with you or are themselves wrapped up in their careers. It is role reversal but this structure has more potential to succeed than when men were the money makers. HOWEVER, this is how I feel now that my son is 12. When my son was 0-5 I needed to be there for him. Try navigating these life choices!

May 18, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  128. andrew

Simple.That;s the plan-Jack.The more women do the more
    men can hunt,fish,and play golf.Why are you trying to screw
    things up?

May 18, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  129. Joe Kyles

This report shows that and increasing number of educated males understand that contractually obligating themselves to 1 woman, doesn't make their life better. American women often refer to men having a "fear of committment". Based on U.S. divorce rates, it's not fear, it's wisdom.

May 18, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  130. Sam Larsen

I don't subscribe to the belief that men should be the head of the household. Smacks of Talliban or Al Queda. I see it as a partnership where the greater good of the partnership is the aim. So if I can't make as much as she can, I better find a way to contribute as much as I can to our relationship. Even if it means taking out the trash. Sam.

May 18, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  131. DR. R. HARTY

Finally..someone recognizing we no longer want to be "housewives". What is that anyway..someone married to their house? The trend im seeing now, is younger men living off their educated wives and say they are home "babysitting"...Dr. R. Harty Dalton, GA

May 18, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  132. Mike

It doesn't bother me that a woman would make more than her husband. I don't like the complaint that women make only 72% of what men make. Men should strive to become better educated the moment they discover how important education really is in their lives. I blame educators for this relatively recent phenomenon. I believe men (as boys) are discriminated against in many substantial ways. It starts with self esteem issues that are stereotyped by their teachers, administrators and even parents.

May 18, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  133. Michael Taggart

If 22% of women earn more than their husbands, then 78% of husbands earn more. This tells us we are slowly approaching gender equality in the workplace and still have a long way to go.

May 18, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  134. Patricia Hill

Um, it says that many women are better educated and make more money than their husbands. Or am I missing something? This looks like one of those "stories" that isn't really a story at all. But I'm sure you'll get all kinds of responses lamenting the supposed decline of the American male at the hands of the evil, left-wing feminist cabal. Sigh.

May 18, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  135. Patsy

Lot of attitude clash among couples because most men feel that they are being dominated by their wives.

May 18, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  136. Liliane Morgan

The reason women are making more money then men is affirmative action. Women and minorities have been promoted and men have been either left behind or recently with a downturn in the economy they are the first to go. What did you say Jack. 5 million men lost jobs in this recession and 2 million women did.

I think we are now practicing reverse discrimination. Oh, and by the way, I'm a woman – so I can respond critically and not through rose-colored glasses.

Liliane

May 18, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  137. Debbie Serna

For most women obtaining the best education possible, is a security issue with divorce rates at 50%. It doesn't matter what the Man does or earns as much as it's about no matter what happens the woman can still maintain a decent sense of self, as well as an income with which she can maintain her her standard of living

May 18, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  138. Barbara

Jack, the answer is simple: the pickings are slim. Not enough educated men to go around, sometimes you have to take what you can get.

May 18, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  139. Tom In Charlotte

Thank God. Maybe we can change the outdated and biased opinions of the Radical Moslem and Roman Catholic minds that have always had a negative view of how important women are in the the nurturing and education of our society. My best friend is a woman and I know why I married her. Why she married me I have no clue.

May 18, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  140. Ron from Gainesville, Fl

Maybe a closer look at equality. House husbands are now getting more respect than house wives did for many years. Both men and women are now able to enjoy a choice of career not just based on dollars. Both are more able to understand the stress of the other. Good for men, women, families and true American values!

May 18, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  141. kent,nj

It means that women need to stop whining about how they are underpaid and how unfairly they are treated compared to men. It is time to immediatley stop affirmative action for women, and it is time to mandate that females register for the draft like males are required to do.

May 18, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  142. Daniel

I think it's a good thing. Maybe one day women might run the world and guys like me can sit home and play video games all day.

May 18, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  143. Tony

It is about time, but, why are we still asking these questions? I thought we moved on??????????????????????

May 18, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  144. B Barnett

I have a higher degree than my husband, and so do most my married female friends. Traditional-gender roles are slowly becoming less and less important; a fact that is apparent in my relationship. Holding a certain degree or salary should not define either part in the relationship. My husband and I are complete equals with separate bank accounts, and equal distribution to our bills.

May 18, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  145. Chad N., Fresno California

What does it say when many women are making more than their husbands? It says that many women are making more than their husbands, and thats about it. If its comfortable for both people in the relationship then there is no problem, if its uncomfortable for one or the other then there is an issue and its not really an issue of who makes more. My wife and I have swapped the lead in incomes many times during our marriage several times and it has no difference who is making more than the other as long as the bills are paid, kids are fed and we stay on the same paige as far as goals go.

May 18, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  146. Norma in Atlanta

It's self–preservation, Jack. I have a four-year Bachelor of Science and worked as a journalist, a news writer for a medical journal and a high school English teacher. My husband has a two-year Associate degree in electronics and has worked for two major companies in his entire career. At best, I earned $.50 to his dollar. So I taught my girls to get a better education and work harder. Women now average about $.79 per a man's dollar, so we're making progress, but we're not there yet. We just need to keep getting smarter. Maybe someday, we won't need men for anything, if we keep trying.
    Norma
    Atlanta, GA

May 18, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  147. george gray

It says that the feminist movement has gone too far. Now it is men who are suffering from inequality. And it says that we should hear no more complaints from any woman about 'discrimination.' The female activists should finally shut their gobs. What we need now is probably a policy of 'affirmative action' to induce more BOYS to continue in school, or in a generation or two we'll have some kind of freak futurist society where women constitute 75 percent of the lawyers and the doctors and the teachers! One can only imagine what mischief and violence all that frustrated testosterone will resort to.

May 18, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  148. Petro

It means what has always been true. If the relationship that you are in works for both, then that is all that matters. Man and woman, woman and woman, man and man-who cares.HAPPINESS is what matters! The right to pursue happiness -–now where have I read that?

May 18, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  149. Ken in NC

It shows the good job the husband has done to insure his wife is positioned to support the family should he fall ill and is no longer able to work.

It simply says that husbands are willing to make sacrifices for the good of the family. It's like dad wearing socks with holes in them so his children can wear decent clothes to school. No big deal for a real family man with real family values.

May 18, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  150. Evan in Chicago

My wife is a Pediatrician with a thriving practice she's 5 years younger than me. I'm jazz musician-hit very hard with this lame economy. She makes so much more money than me that it's pointless to even compare. I personally like it. There is a stigma however. People tend to think that I "got it made" or that I "don't have to worry about money." HA!! When I deposit our paychecks it's almost a joke to compare the two. She handles all the finances (she's WAY better at math than me) and I'm cool with it. It's nice to know I'm not alone. Here's to all us broke men with great taste in women!!!

May 18, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  151. Alex Landi

Mt. Shasta, CA

For decades, millions of children have been born out of wedlock, While the girls always have their mothers, it's the boys who suffer because they have no father to help them become men. So just as the women have come up in society, the men are going down. The genders are like two lines crossing on a graph, headed in different directions. Another sign of an unhealthy culture.

May 18, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  152. Marta A

Given the fact that women make less than men, it means that companies prefer to keep cheaper employees. It's as simple as that, Jack

May 18, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  153. Nancy M., Tennessee

It says that it is about time, but I still don't believe that women are being paid as well as their male counterparts doing the same job. The mentality of some companies is still that the men are the bread winners and that men deserve or demand higher pay. If a woman makes more than her husband, her husband is probably working in a much lesser job, otherwise, he'd still be earning more.

May 18, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  154. Antonio from Washington D.C.

Jack, trust me when I say this: "Chauvinism is defeated in numerous ways!"

May 18, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  155. John Ceballos in Orlando

Simple, this means men should sharpen up their diaper changing, cooking and cleaning skills.

May 18, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  156. Ken in NC

My wife told me to re-enter this post and make sure I note that she approved this entry.

May 18, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  157. Marinka Bozada

It means men have gotten smarter. They now choose women based on their ability to be full partners. Today's woman's no longer needs a sugar daddy. She needs a man who can be a full partner himself. Maybe there is hope yet. Can marriage finally grow up? Forget who wears the pants. Today, both men and women wear the pants...its about working together to build a life that sustains them both. What a novel idea!

May 18, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  158. Doug Rodriguez

It says real men don't rely on their financial status for their self esteem.
    Second, it says real women don't care what job their husband has or doesn't have when they genuinely love their husbands. Just ask my wife of thirty plus years. Neither of us has ever been married to anyone else and have no desire to do so. If your marriage depends upon your spouses financial standing or education, you shouldn't be married. Marriage means you simply deal with whatever comes your way and you do it together. Trust me, if you plan to stay married your both going to make an equal contribution whether or not employment is the issue. Who tends to the children while all these people are away making their billions anyway?

May 18, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  159. Elayne

Hey Jack: I watch/listen to you and Wolf daily and try not to miss your "incisive" humor.
    Your comments today about educated wives and perhaps, their less educated husbands. I can't speak for that kind of situation because my late husband, Richard Spangler, was a man with two degrees...
    he had an undergrad degree and then a Bachelor of Divinity..
    Never did he think lesser of me because he had more education then I. We often enjoyed the fact that "I worked to help him attain his vocational dream.
    So...I was the less educated one in our long, happy marriage (54 years) but I was always treated as an equal and usually "more than". And believe me, I've had some interesting jobs through the years.
    In fact, one Social Sciences Professor told me I had a "High I.Q." and could go far if I chose to do so.

May 18, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  160. Philip

This is the first generation of women who have benefitied from the women's movement. Much like first generation Americans who work hard to make it in this country, these women worked hard to prove that they have what it takes to make it. And they did it! If we really are to see true equality it is up to men (like myself) to help their wives reach their true potential. I'm proud of my wife and what she has achieved because I know that I've been there helping her from the beginning. Now I no longer work and she makes a ton of money. Seems like a win win to me!

May 18, 2010 at 6:34 pm |
  161. Gene Penszynski

HI Jack,
    Just anotherr indication that the dumbing down of America begun under the G W Bush and Republican poorly educated Red Necks is in full swing. American women now seem to be finding it more 'whatever' to be married to ignorant poorly educated husbands. The offspring of these ill concieved matches will certainly be interesting to observe when they become voting age. Their may be hope for ignoramouses like Sahrah Palin and her gun totoing Red Necks if she's still active in Republican politics in 2030.

May 18, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  162. Dan

Does this mean that women would even pay as much in alimony as men? I wouldn't count on it.

May 18, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  163. Marinka Bozada

It means men have gotten smarter. They now choose women based on their ability to be full partners. Today's woman no longer needs a sugar daddy. She needs a man who can be a full partner himself. Maybe there is hope yet. Can marriage finally grow up? Forget who wears the pants. Today, both men and women wear the pants. Marriage is about building a life together that sustains both partners and their extended family.

May 18, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
  164. James in Idaho

Jack,It's a mater of history. Historically women have had more tiem to engage in and improve and hone their comunication skills whiel the men have been fighting in wars to protect woemn's ability to doso. Unfortunately,. many women have also flet forced into the housewife roll, and in their resentment, haven't raised their sons as well as their daughters.

May 18, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
  165. Brad from Maui

What does it say when many women are better educated and make more money than their husbands? That some men are self assured manly 21st century individuals who will no longer be driven by societies gender rules or they've figured out a way to allow their wives a false sense of superiority while kicking back and enjoying the fruits of someone else’s labor for a change.

May 18, 2010 at 6:38 pm |
  166. Marina90292

Marrying a man that makes less equals big trouble since a lot of men can't handle that type of relationship. Plus if I am making more money I expect the man to pull more weight around the house...a fact most men still don't like since they see it as woman's work.

My main reason for educating myself and making more money is for my protection. With divorce rates being high I do not want to be left without any support and a baby on my hip. I want to be able to take care of my kids even if the man exists my life. I have seem to many housewives become devastated and left with nothing when their husbands left them for another woman.

Money equals power and I want to be able to have equal power in a relationship.

May 18, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  167. Nic Steven

Jack
    When i was in college, i worked as a bartender. woman make more tips than i did, now i worked for a fortune 500 company and woman are 60% of the workforce and promote quickly than most people, not be secret. Gender gap my be closing, but i feel than i am still working at that bar, trying to get better tips.

for the last 20 year more attention have been place on woman getting an education, somehow the systerm forgot to place the same attention to males

May 18, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
  168. shelly

Jack, It says that the fifty's ended fifty years ago.

May 18, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
  169. Peter, Tarrytown ,NY

It's one thing to say 22% of women are better educated then their spouse and earn more money. (My wife is one of the 22%). I suspect that it has a lot to do with the loss of those jobs traditionally performed by men that no longer exist and they're stuck in low wage carreers. The fact remains that women still earn less then their male counterpart when preforming the same tasks. I wonder what the true percentage would be with equal pay for equal work .

May 18, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
  170. steve- virginia beach

It probably means that fewer children have a full-time parent.

May 18, 2010 at 6:44 pm |
  171. Jacquelyn M

This is my third marriage, and I am in the enviable position of earning much more than my husband. The only difference between this marriage in economic terms from the others is that I never hear the words "You want to buy what?"
    The difference in the rest of the marriage is that I and my contribution are truly valued by my husband who is also educated but making less money. He does however comment about feeling less important because of his current earning power. My feelings are that we are part of an equal team, and at any time we may each have different things to bring to the marriage monetary or otherwise, that's what makes our marriage strong.

May 18, 2010 at 6:46 pm |
  172. J

All my sister's and mother were more educated than our husbands. One sister makes more too. Have a friend who makes more than her husband. Not an issue for any of us. How they treat us, children, pets, how hard working they are and their character are important. On the important scales they excel. They are intelligent men but they had less interest in sitting at a desk studying a school book than the women in their lives.

May 18, 2010 at 6:50 pm |