May 18th, 2010

Should Democrats support candidate who lied about Vietnam service?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

The Democrats may soon wish they had a different horse in the race for the Connecticut senate seat being vacated by Chris Dodd.

Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal reportedly lied about serving in Vietnam.

The New York Times has an explosive front page story today about Democratic candidate Richard Blumenthal - saying he has lied on multiple occasions about serving in Vietnam.

Blumenthal, who is the state's attorney general, never served in Vietnam. Yet on numerous occasions he has said things like: "We have learned something important since the days that I served in Vietnam." He's also referred to: "When we returned." These are lies.

Blumenthal never returned from Vietnam, because he never went to Vietnam. What's more, he got at least five military deferments so he wouldn't have to go to Vietnam. And he eventually joined the Marine Reserves - so he wouldn't have to go to Vietnam.

Blumenthal's campaign was quick to slam the New York Times story calling it an "outrageous distortion." How is it a distortion if the New York Times said he lied about serving in Vietnam if he never served in Vietnam. He just lied about it.

Blumenthal held a news conference this afternoon where he said he unintentionally misspoke on a few occasions, adding that he regrets it and accepts full responsibility. What does that mean? Unintentionally misspoke? Is he not sure whether or not he ever fought in Vietnam? What garbage. He repeatedly referred to his comments as "a few misplaced words."

It's called lying.

In what will prove to be a huge mistake, Democrats say they will continue to back him in the race to replace Chris Dodd in the U.S. Senate. If he wins, Blumenthal will fit right in in Washington with the rest of the weasels down there.

Here’s my question to you: Should Connecticut Democrats support Richard Blumenthal who lied about serving in Vietnam?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Larry writes:
It seems that our only standard for politicians is that they be slightly above room temperature. Lying? Not a problem. Cheating? To be expected. Self-serving? Of course. When did the idea of a "public servant" die? These guys are supposed to working for us and if we do our duty we should vote these slime balls out – or in this case not in.

Hank writes:
As a Vietnam vet, I find it extremely distressing that someone would lie and then lie about his lie. Misspoke my rear end. By piggybacking on the sacrifices of brave young men and women who gave life and limb for their country he dishonors himself and his party since the party continues to back a liar.

Paul writes:
Ease up on Blumenthal, Jack. Let him set himself right by giving up the election and volunteering to go to Afghanistan, front line duty. He can stay until the last REAL soldier comes home.

Laura in Connecticut writes:
As a Connecticut resident, I can tell you that Attorney General Blumenthal has been viewed as the front-runner for this Senate seat – and has enjoyed support from many unaffiliated voters and even Republicans because he's done a pretty good job overall for many years as AG. However, this "misrepresentation" of his service, this news, is a bombshell, and may well lead to his undoing. This changes the whole race.

Jim writes:
The guy didn't misstate anything. He lied and was caught. I watched the press conference. It was a joke. No Democrat, no Republican, nobody should support this guy. Reserve units, during the Vietnam war, were difficult to enter. They were a form of "legalized draft dodging." I should know. I was in one.

Jim in New Jersey writes:
Jack, As a Vietnam veteran, I felt sad when I heard that Mr. Blumenthal lied about serving in Vietnam. I felt sad for all of those men and woman I had served with, those who came home and those who didn't. I don't feel sad for Blumenthal. In fact, I feel nothing for him. It's pitiful what he did. Yet, I have no pity. And, as a Democrat, I hope he loses. Big Time! I'll take any Republican over him.

Filed under: Democrats
  1. Dan

They need to look at him in totality but the fact that he continually lied about something so simple and verifiable probably means he lies about other things. I am very tired of people claiming to be Viet Nam Vets when they weren't even close. Why do they feel the need to boost their resume? Are they trying to make up for a lack of experience or character elsewhere?

May 18, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
  2. Kendra Leigh

Dear Jack,

All politicians lie at one point or another, and especially during a time of campaigning. Otherwise, "Fact Checkers" wouldn't exist.
    Please think of a more enlightening topic to write about.

May 18, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  3. JIM PERIGNY

Jack, I am a Veteran and its bad enough being short changed by the Service with the "enlist and we'll take care of you" only to find that now it is sliding scale fees, co-pays, etc. Now, some joker politician is now lying about his service record. We cannot believe anyone anymore.

NO, Democrats should not back this lying jack ass.

Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.

May 18, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  4. John, Erie PA

Your right, he will fit right in with the rest of the dishonest corrupt politicians in DC. Of course the Dems will support him, he's one of their own. The president was elected on lies so why not a senator?
    Not only did this scum bag lie about serving in Viet Nam, he now lies about the lie saying he just "unintentionally misspoke." If you served, you know where you were and what you did. If you have any integrity, you don't embelish your military career.

May 18, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  5. Dee Fisher

I don't think it really matters. They all lie. The republicans and Democrats today had someone that lied.

The Democrat from Connecticut and the just elected Republican who had an affair with a staffer. Good job to both parties.

So I say continue on Washington.

May 18, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  6. Lawrence Pass

It continues to amaze me that politicians will not stop at anything to snag a soft political job where the sky's the limit and opportunities abound to continue a life of deceit, lack of performance, infidelity, and accumulation of ill gotten wealth. You're fired Blumenthal!!

May 18, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  7. Nick V

YES!!!! I also think a guy who has a position like that should have heard of the 'stolen valor' act. Can it be used here? I think it could be.
    As a former US servicemember I am disgusted by "people" like this, they get deferments like cowards, then claim the distinction of a war hero. He not only should be replaced, he should be disbarred.

May 18, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  8. bill nugent

It's an absolute disgrace that people like Blumenthal lie about serving in Vietnam to mislead the public to gain unearned respect. He knew exactly what he was doing. Who would vote for or support a liar when confronted – can not recall if he served in Vietnam or not.

Bill Nugent, Vietnam Veteran 67'-68'
    New milford, nj

May 18, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  9. Roland Thomas

No, Democrats should not continue to support him and he should immediately resign. I'm a liberal but if there is one thing that I hold dearly far above the Democrat ideology is truth, fairness and justice (guess that is MY ideology). Better a honest Republican in Congress than a dishonest Democrat.

May 18, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  10. No way jose

The Democratic Party should pull the plug on Blumenthal and find a new candidate or suffer the consequences

May 18, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  11. Annie

No, you are making WAY too much of this and so is the news. And from what I'm hearing, this story was reporeted by information through a reporter given the story by the Repub. candidate McMahon. Give me a break, how many times in a day do you change your grammar out & use the wrong word over another? If anything he may be guilty of bad grammar, nothing more. And, if you read ALL of CNNs report on this, you'll see that the 'source' they quote from actually came out & said that the Times changed what she said & 'lied' about her quotes. If that's the case, what else has the Times reporter 'lied' about pertaining to the story, and what's his/her angle?
    Get the facts straight. The Times reporter obviously couldn't.
    The man served as a Marine, regardless in reserve or otherwise. He served.
    And now onto Mark Souder, a much juicier topic...

May 18, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  12. Fred in L.A.

Absolutely not! Didn't they want to hang Bush out to dry with the lies that Dan Rather spread concerning our Presidents military service? The Dems are scumbags, and their comments of support for this liar just proves the point.

May 18, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  13. MarineVetsDaughter

Are you kidding me? and people complain about crooked politicians...This is why, if he still gets support, then I don't want to hear any whinning when (not if) when he gets busted for cheating, stealing, LYING, or whatever else.... My dad served a very proud 20 years in the Marines and 3 tours in Nam as a forward observer (Scout)
    My best friend lost her dad in Nam (she never even got to meet him) and this POS has the gonads to "misplace a few words" to make it appear he served our country instead of tucking his tail between his legs and messing up enough so he can say "oh dang, now I can't go" BS!!!! Get rid of him now or you'll be sure to regret it!

Proud Daughter of a Marine who actually did serve!
    Chaska, MN

May 18, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  14. Mike Osgood

To say "when we returned from Viet Nam" might be acceptable if he was speaking about the nation and exhibited poor grammar...But that is not the case here...Saying "when I served in Viet Nam" is not nearly the same as saying "as a Viet Nam era veteran". Like so many others, he has lied to embellish his own resume of service to his country. Even as a Democrat, I could not vote for, nor could I want, this man representing me in the U. S. Senate. I Am a Viet Nam era veteran, and I am appalled at this kind of rhetoric designed to do nothing more than ask for votes on a false premise..At the risk of having another republican in the Senate, I hope Mr. Blumenthal goes down in flames in this contest.

May 18, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  15. perry jones

this person should be gone now if not sooner this type of person is not what the voters or the none voters need

perry jones
    council bluffs ia

May 18, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  16. Jim

Absolutely not!! He lied and knew he was lying. I served during the Vietnam era ( volunteered) and remember very well those who used deferments and the "guard" to avoid going to Viet Nam. His so-called "service" was a sham and his distortion is a shame. He doesn't deserve to " serve " our country now when he refused her call when she needed him most.

May 18, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  17. Chris

You answered your question...If he wins, Blumenthal will fit right in in Washington with the rest of the weasels down there.
    I agree, we need more senators like him...to make sure the rest of America follows the laws.

May 18, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  18. Marc

Apparently telling the truth is pretty tough. Maybe if he wins he can borrow Bush's "Mission Accomplished" sign.

May 18, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  19. Edward in Texas

No candidate should ever be supported who lies about military service. The sacrafices made by veterans and those who did not return are far too great for anyone to steal their valor. Lying about military service cannot be a misstatement since there is not reason to ever misstate your service. Most of all, we Vietnam Veterans suffered enough and that is one war that no one should lie about. I would never vote for a condidate who lied about their military service. It goes to the character of the candidate.

May 18, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  20. Rich54

Why shouldn't Blumenthal lie. It starts at the top with the Democrats.

May 18, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  21. timd

Well, he may not have served in Vietnam but it looks like he'll be serving me BigMacs pretty soon. I don't like very many politicians but the ones that lie about serving in the military when they actually got a deferrment, there is a special hell for them. Good riddance. Not to mention how stupid he must be to think that nobody was going to figure that out. What a rube! He should save that BS for his DC prosties.

May 18, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  22. Robert F. Dawley

Dear Jack.

This is an outrage. I saw the tap dance on the news today. My son is serving in Iraq. You can bet he knows where he is, and will remember where he was. I pray he makes it back.

Thank you.

May 18, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  23. Gary in Pa

As a Vietnam veteran who served in country, AG Blumenthal is the wrong example for the Democratic or Republican candidate for senate. He lied about his military service, does that mean he has lied about other accomplishments, hell yeah. Did he get special consideration for enlisting in the reserves, when the Marines were in need of infantry in Vietnam, I'm sure. What else has he done to get where he is in his political life. Let's be honest, we need truthful politicans.

May 18, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  24. Linda, Hesperia, CA

Once a liar always a liar. Guess he'd fit in with real well with all those in Washington.

May 18, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  25. Marlene C.

Dear Jack, Absolutely not! What a disgrace! Any person who has ever served in our military or has a loved one that has served in our armed forces wouldn't vote for Blumenthal! He's a LIAR! He didn't misspeak . He was trying to get voter sympathy with BOLDFACE LIES! As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't even vote for him for dog catcher!

May 18, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  26. calaurore9

Carol in Northampton, MA

Heck NO! This is stealing valor and it's not mis-speak it is lie-speak. You got it Jack. Let's stop letting these pols get away with this stuff. Tell this Elliott Spitzer lookalike to do the backstroke outta town!

May 18, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  27. Mark Zalewski

He misspoke so now the folks in Connecticut can return the favor and misvote. Please do the country a favor and get another candidate, now! The only recourse is giving the seat right to the Republicans, I don't think as a whole they garner high marks for overall truthiness either.

May 18, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  28. Claudia Coletta

Representing that he served in Vietnam when he did not was a political device for his own advantage, not a mistake. It is inexcusable; we deserve much more from our leaders. At a time when our men and women in uniform are dying in foreign lands, there should be no support by either party for such a candidate. To the extent that there is, we revert to the politics of old that reveres "success" at any cost. In 2010, we must demand more.

May 18, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  29. RickintheForest

Why would they not support Blumenthal? He wants to replace Chris Dodd who is less than candid about being a "friend of Angelo" and who seems to have difficulty recalling the value of his "cottage" in Ireland. So why would the people of CT expect their U.S. Senator to remember that he had never served in Vietnam?

Maybe the voters will believe he merely "misspoke" – on numerous occasions. It could happen........it could.

May 18, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  30. Lucille Giacino

Connecticut Democrats should definitely not support Blumenthal. Enough with the "mis-spokes". Get rid of all the mis-spokers. Senator Dodd will be doing his party a great "mis-service" if he thinks his support won't hurt a Democratic win. Do they get the message; they will not win. We're not putting up with liars whether they're politicians or Wall Street companies.

May 18, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  31. Lawrence O.

Politicians...lie??? What a concept. I'm noticing the difference between a good politician and a bad one is the complexity of the lie and the length of time it takes to sort out the truth. In Mr. Blumenthal's case, he is a surprisingly bad one. He should have reviewed notes from the master Nixon, before throwing his hat in the ring.

May 18, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  32. Mick Callahan

"Your President is a crook"; " Yes, I had sex with that woman"; "We're invading Iraq to get Saddam for what he did to my Daddy"; What a different country it might have been, Jack. No, the Democrats should not support Blumanthal's candidacy any longer. A "few misplaced words" cost us dearly nearly every political cycle. Toss the guy out before he has a chance to lie to us about something bigger. Mick, St. Pete, Florida

May 18, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  33. barbara parker

Jack..according to Blumenthal, he didn't lie..he "mispoke". He is just a mistake, period. Also, to the "veterans" who were behind him, cheering as he gave this shabby, disgraceful speech, shame on you. This was a farce to the real veterans of Viet Nam, many of them from my high school class of "65.

May 18, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  34. Allan R (Sully) Sullivan

Every Veterans day I drive from Wichita, Kansas to be in Arlington and then I go to the wall to be with my comrads. In my opinion Blumenthal's lies are just like the bird droppings on the Wall. A complete and total discrace. USAF Air/Security Police 1965-78.

May 18, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  35. bill flint

This no time to add another ethically bankrupt body to our Congress.
    Democrats better find another candidate!

May 18, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  36. PatH

I have come to expect nothing less from professional politicians and especially with the current administration. This man is an insult to all of us who served in Viet Nam and all combat veterans everywhere.

May 18, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  37. David L. Esclito

Am a retied Army Sergent Major (30 years service), served two tours in Nam. Conn. AG Blumenthal should stand behind a sign that says "Please Spit On Me", in front of the Vietnam Memorial and apologize to America, all living and dead Nam veterans for being a LIAR and promise to to EVER seek local or national political office. Not even for Dog Ca tcher. We have enough liars in Congress as it is.

May 18, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  38. Irving

I misspoke, Blumenthal said. Blumenthal said he meant to say,
    : I dodged, I hid, I deferred, I weaseled, I lied my way out of Vietnam. I was just scared of guns, so maybe I am a coward, but I am alive, not like those poor soldiers who gave their lives for our great country, so I can be here running for the U S Senate.

Southern California

May 18, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  39. Michael Ribolla

Connecticut is my home State. My brother served in Vietnam (as in he went there) and altered the remainder of his life. It offends my terribly that this is being passed off as an unintended comment. Better men have lost their careers for less of a misrepresentation of the facts.

May 18, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  40. Karen Gilbert

Thanks Jack. You spoke for many of us, regarding the words "misspoken" by Blumenthal. Once a liar always a liar. It's time for term limits. These guys who lie and distort for political gain show their true character. Most guys in office for years see the world only from their Washington office, the windows of their limos and private jets paid for by you and I. Keep up the good work, Jack.

May 18, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  41. Larry Downing

He new he was blowing smoke when he made the claim to have served in country. He just was appealing to Veterans like me who served there and would vote for another veteran that served there. At least Al Gore went and served unlike Blumenthal with five deferments and Dick Cheney who didn't have the guts to volunteer, and George Blush who joined the national guard and could't be found. All of us who served in Vietnam knew that if you were in the guard or reserves you wouldn't go. I served two tours in country and am proud of every day I did. Country first Throw him overboard he lied and he new it.

May 18, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  42. Kevin from Co

No, a lie is a lie. Unfortunatly a lot of this American generation seem to think lieing is ok as long as you benefit from it. They don't know or care what having a good character is all about.

May 18, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  43. Don

Activate his reserve status. Send him to Iraq or Afganistan.

May 18, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  44. GT

I served in the Army National Guard in the late 80's and early 90's. I came from a family who were graduates of West Point and served in Vietnam as well as other wars. I was raised to call it as it is. I served, but did not go to any "famous" wars and certainly don't say I did. I would compare lying about your service to lying about how well endowed you are. BleumNidiot must have had to explain a lot to his wife on his wedding night! Just like Obama is having to explain to our country about his lies! If you vote for these fools... you should expect to be let down!

May 18, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  45. Donald Scott

The fact that he had the audacity to think that many Americans are so stupid and would believe his jackass excuses convinces me he is only the tip of the corrupt DC iceberg. Pres. Obama must demand that the meatball resign immediately. Is he too old to make-up for his false statements on the front lines in Afghanistan?

May 18, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  46. George

Blumenthal should not be supported by anyone. To the contrary,his own party should condem and disown him. His press conference was an outrageous performance emphasizing "his service in the Marine Corps"and just touching on his lies about alleged service in Vietnam.

This is not an issue about his service but is about his credibility.

May 18, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  47. Howard Yates

As an actual Vietnam Vet, I take serious offense when someone lies about his service to our country.

Did I want to go? Hell no! But I did. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything. You see, I now have a baseline to compare how our military is run by our civilian leaders. There are some striking similarities.

May 18, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  48. Glenda

I agree with you Jack! This is disrespectful to those who served and died in Vietnam. I am sick and tired of politicians covering their outright lies with stupid excuses. The democrats ought to drop him now before he causes more politic backlash for the party. The tea baggers will have a field day with this guy.

He lied! That's the truth!

May 18, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  49. deepwater don

Agree with the "mission accomplished" comment.What else could you expect from a state that continues to elect flip floppers like Lieberman?

May 18, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  50. Margie

All politicians lie and mislead but those who lie about military service and intentionally dodge serving are a special low life. It is a slap in the face of every veteran and their families. My father served in the Marine Corps for 30 years, the Pacific in WWII, two tours in Korea, and two tours in Vietnam. Blumenthal should be ASHAMED. I would never vote for him!

May 18, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  51. John Lorelli

If it is indeed true, it is an insult to the 58,000-plus names on the Vietnam Memorial and the 300,000-plus who were wounded. We owe a large debt of respect to all who have served with honor and lived up to their commitment. To falsely claim service as a political ploy shows that this politician has no honor and I would hope the voters will treat him with the contempt he deserves.

John
    Ventura, CA

May 18, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  52. Lisa

I'm sure the Conn. Dems will back him all the way to the voting booth, even though they shouldn't! Blumenthal is a politician who didn't just lie about his past, but did it in a stupid way; the media could fact-check into his military service anytime (did he not know that??). And now that he's been found out, he insists it was nothing more than a slip of the tongue? How stupid does he think we are??

I'm a Democrat, and I wouldn't vote for this man for anything! I wouldn't do it because he lied! And it was a cheap lie! There's a reason people don't like being lied to: it's a betrayal of their trust! If he can lie about serving in Vietnam, then–if this guy were win the election–what more could he lie about to hide his actions in Washington in the midst of corporate interests who could buy his loyalty?

May 18, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  53. Kevin Brady

First, Former Attorney General Spitzer was caught sneaking around with prostitutes, wiring funds via fraudulent accounts to cover up his nighttime activities, and lurring these young ladies across state lines for these paid trysts (which violates the Federal Mann Act).

Now Attorney General Blumenthal gets caught in lies that he tried to cover up with mealy-mouthed words that avoid the truth – that he lied about his dodging the draft and instead pretended that he had served in Viet Nam. What kind of unethical people are we allowing to serve as prosecutors / Attorneys General?

May 18, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  54. George Mingledorff

I served in the U.S. Navy and served in Vietnam during 1972-1973. One simple way to verify combat service there – the Vietnam Service Medal and the Combat Action Ribbon (this will be on the service member's Form DD 214). Evidently, Blumental has no such medals/ribbons. When politicians LIE, they say they "mis-spoke." To me, this is repulsive – especially to those of us who served and did so honorably. If Blumenthal "mis-speaks" about this, he will "mis-speak" about other things.

May 18, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  55. Army Wife

They shouldn't support him, but many will. Lying is lying, no matter how much you want to try and sugar coat it. He is a disgrace to all who have ever worn a uniform and served with honor.

Ft. Campbell, KY

May 18, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  56. Tim Katz

Democrats should dump this pathetic idiot. There's no way to put a shine on this. He's busted and still cannot speak the straightforward truth about it. Awful. What horrible disrespect for the people who did serve in Vietnam, and all dangerous conflicts on our behalf before and since that war. Democrats: Kick this guy off the team now!

May 18, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  57. Bill

No excuses. He tried pandering to the vets thru his lies. Got caught. He should move on and let someone who might have a better shot run.

May 18, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  58. George

This is not an issue about his service but is about his credibility.

George
    Morristown New Jersey

May 18, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  59. Nell

If Blumenthal stays in the race, Connecticut will elect a Republican. It's bad enough that he doesn't seem to know where he was and when, but to blame the NY Times for revealing the truth indicates a really distorted personality.

May 18, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  60. john stiner

"I take full responsibility... for a few misplaced words." What a joke! No sir, they were purposely placed words meant to deceive!

And as if military service has been a vote-getter in CT!

May 18, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  61. fyba

what a shame! does Blumenthal not know the difference between lies and misplaced words? well this is what a lie is, to make a statement which one knows or ought to know that is not true. Well, perhaps Blumenthal did not know or ought not to have known that he did not go to Vietnam. Maybe he was "sleep-talking"

May 18, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  62. rdwray

The only difference here is that this politician got caught and will pay the price. What the 535 legislature and 1 president that are allowed to approve their own lies?

May 18, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  63. Whitt

It's got nothing to do with what party the candidate is in; anyone who lies about being a war veteran when they're not is unworthy of public office. Period. Blumenthal has disgraced himself. If he had any sense of honor, he should not only withdraw from the race, he should also resign as attorney general.

May 18, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  64. Dave

As a former Marine, I find this incredibly offensive. It's an insult to those who actually DID serve. How can you put your trust, faith and confidence in the fidelity and ability of a KNOWN LIAR!

May 18, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  65. GA VET

NO they should not.

There should be a penalty for disseminating false information.

Ties in nicely with the question about declining morals..

May 18, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  66. The no-longer-silent majority

Hmmm.. a dishonest politician. Go figure.But he doesn't have to worry about support from his party if he chooses to stay in office. I doubt the democrats would put 'lying about military service' at a higher moral standard than let's say... hidding bribe money in a cooler, cheating on your taxes, lying under oath to federal investigators about committing adultery in the oval office...

May 18, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  67. Leslie

What a sad example he would make if he won this race,BUT, what choice do the people of Connecticut have? A Republican would be worse!

May 18, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  68. Nurse Lisa in Shelton CT

As attorney general of our state, with further political aspirations he has only himself to blame for this undeserved spin re: his service. Misspeaking is accidental, and even if he mispoke once by leaving out the "era" from Vietnam era service; continuing to say things like "when WE returned" implies he was there though he knows he wasn't. He never once attempted to correct the record in a timely fashion by detailing where he'd been deployed.

I'd be surprised if he can keep the attorney general spot or a shred of credibility now.

May 18, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  69. Allen

I served in Vietnam and received 16 Air Medals, 2 DFC's with 'V' for valor and a Purple Heart to name a few. As a Medivac Helicopter Pilot I was dedicated to saving lives. I can't forget why I was there or what happened to the many men that got maimed, injured and killed. I resent the lie that Blumenthal perpertrated to gain votes and he should be ashamed of himself. Anyone that votes for a man like that should also be ashamed of themselves.

May 18, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  70. Kyle Wentz

Of course they should withdraw their support. Comments like this cheapen the sacrifice made by the many courageous men and women who serve our country. Thanks Jack for calling this liar to task. I'm getting tired of the talking heads serving as watercarriers for buffoons on both sides of the isle. Your job as a journalist is to investigate and report the truth, regardless of who signs your paycheck and what their political affiliation is. Way to go Jack!!!

May 18, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  71. Gary

I served in Vietnam w/ the USMC, was wounded and lost a lot of buddies. There is a Federal Law on the books to discourage military wannabes from claiming false credit for military duty. It's called the Stolen Valor Act of 2007. As an Officer in the Corps, this Pol should know better than to claim that he served in Vietnam where we lost too many brave Marines. This is a sacrilege!

Gary in NY

May 18, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  72. Chris Waguespack

NO! He lied! My dad served in the Navy during WWII, my mom served in the Army during WWII, my older brother served in the Navy during Vietnam, and my second oldest brother served in the Marines during Vietnam. They KNOW where they were at these times. The Marine still has the nightmares! Mr. Bloomenthal is a liar and a jerk! He should not be allowed to hold ANY elected office. His lies are offensive to every member of our armed services and thier families.

May 18, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  73. Sixoh

He's a "Poser". They all lie.

I'm sure someone will dredge up ol' Bush on here before long.

May 18, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  74. db

It is a federal offense to wear or display medals not won or earned while in military service, but claimed to have won. To do so can result in fines or imprisonment for a indeterminate time. I served in the US Army from 12/66 to 12/68 but did not go to Viet Nam. I am proud of my service at the Army Primary Helicopter School at Fort Wolthers, Texas. There is no way I would ever even consider myself a Viet Nam Veteran, a member of the Armed Forces during the Viet Nam war but that is as close as it gets. My only medals include a Good Conduct Medal and a National Defense Medal. I can prove what I did on a DD-214. I wonder what his says. Any person claiming to be what they are not, kind of like in Washington, are lower than whale shit.

May 18, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  75. cindysuntime

Hey, Blum, don't worry 'bout it. Didn't Bush lie about his service record?

May 18, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  76. Lisa in Mississippi

May 18, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  77. jota

Yes. At least I hope the Dems continue to back him. I don't want to see one deceptive Senator replaced by another.

May 18, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  78. Mike C

I am wondering why we even talking about this. No the Dems should not support any person for a higher office if they lied. I am Moderate Dem from Virginia and I have seem the story and he should not even try to run for the Conn. US Senate seat. Be a man and save the party any shame and withdraw your bid

May 18, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  79. Kandy

Okay, so let me get this straight–what we are doing here is defining the difference between a "fudge" (Bush's military claims) and an out and out "misspoke". Hmm. All sounds like lies to me. Aren't there ways to verify this stuff? With the technology at our fingertips don't these guys think someone will check? It seems a bigger travesty to me that politicians think so little of their constituents. They seem to feel that we the people are so dumb, or so complacent that we won't bother to demand the truth from our elected officials. That may be more true than we'd like to admit, but come on guys–give some of us some credit!

May 18, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  80. Peter

First he lies about being in Vietnam... Now he's lying about lying? How dumb does he think we are? Dem or Republican, this shouldn't be someone trusted to represent anyone in the Senate.

May 18, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
  81. Kathleen Thornton

He also wasn't captain of the swim team. I'm not equating the two. But he wasn't even on the swim team. Same idea!

May 18, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
  82. Jim - Michigan

This is the most insulting lie a politician can make, anybody for that matter. 58,000 men gave their lives in that war, to claim you served, sacrificed next to them when you did not is offensive and disrespectful. Now most civilians cannot understand what it means to serve and will mark this as a minor incident, that too is disrespectful to those who served, those who gave all in defense of this nation and to insue our liberties and rights.

A vote for this man is a slap in the face to every veteran.

May 18, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
  83. michael vivian

Support a lier ? Absolutely not. We already have enough fraudulent politicians in Washington.

May 18, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
  84. Chuck

This is the Attorney General who is sworn to prosecute people for false testimony also known as LYING.

May 18, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
  85. BassOMatic

How does someone so stupid rise to such a level?

May 18, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
  86. Tony

Democrats... Republicans is there really a difference? They all show contempt for the voter. I think it's time to clean house and take our country back!

May 18, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
  87. Bill Szymanski Granite Falls WA

Democrats will follow the "leader" so of course they will support Blumenthall. They have great training especially from Dodd. Remeber when he said he lied.......and then a few weeks later says he will not run again.........not sure why.......like yeah.........

May 18, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
  88. Dee

Why not? Republicans supported Bush, who basically lied about HIS military service, and who had some sort of glitch where he might have been AWOL.

What's the basic difference?

Of course, VietNam is still VERY touchy among veterans.

May 18, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
  89. Jolyn52

My husband was a Vietnam Veteran before it was popular. This lying politician ought to be thrown out of office. If he got deferments not to go...then why claim now...Mr. Harvard. Shame on you for the boys that never made it home. Some of those that returned home died many years later with wounds from Vietnam. Many wounds can't be seen. So you Mr. Liar should have to stand in front of a room full of Vietnam Veterans and let them tell you what happened and how they felt when the returned from Vietnam!! The local VFW post in Conn. that stood behind Blumenthal should be ashamed.
    Where I come from the only deferment would be ....let me go and leave my brother home. That would be what a real hero would say.
    I don't care if he is republican or democrat.....liar is a liar.

May 18, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  90. Yankeefan 49

I don't understand why someone would lie about that when people check thos e facts.

May 18, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  91. joe m

despite his adamant statements today, it would be no surprise if Blumenthal quietly fades away. the democratic party would only support him as their candidate if they are eager to loose yet another senate seat. bigger democrats have been taken down by less, such as a snapshot in front of a boat, an ad in a tank, and a lunatic scream. as the old saying, stick a fork in him, blumenthal is done.

NC

May 18, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  92. umbras

Connecticut Atty Gen Blumenthal now says he "misspoke" about serving in Nam when he really didn't? … REALLY! … I suggest he tell it to the Marines!

May 18, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  93. Bill

He just had a few misplaced words. For example, consider the sentence:

"I have served in Vietnam."

In this particular sentence, he misplaced the word "never", which belongs between the words "have" and "served."

May 18, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  94. ivnprt

Hey Jack ! He is what we used to call back in the 1960s "A PX Soldier". He will fit in nicely with all the other morons on capitol hill.

May 18, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  95. Connie Bryant

This man, if that is what we call him, is a disgrace, to all that served in Viet Nam or at any other time in our military. The State of Connecticut, should run him out of the State on a broom stick. And yes I am a veteran.

Las Vegas, Nv.

May 18, 2010 at 5:36 pm |
  96. Bill in Columbus

Father served in WWII and Korea as a pilot. I serverd in USN... my son in USArmy as a medic One tour in Iraq Outside the wire everyday.
    ANYBODY who is low enough to lie about their Military Service ... Just to get more votes from patriotic americans and Vets... should be shamed into submission. Go Away ... DICK. Whata Puttz. This kind of crap really gets to me. What happened to character?

May 18, 2010 at 5:36 pm |
  97. JIM

what else is new about the Democrats, Dems think they are above the law and can lie and get away with it. Just think what would happen if a Republican did it. Yes the Democrats will support regardless of how corrupt Richard blumenthal is.

May 18, 2010 at 5:36 pm |
  98. Paul Zingg

Mark Twain had it right: "If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything." Won't it be nice if our politicians were unburdened with the task of having to remember what lie they last told.

May 18, 2010 at 5:36 pm |
  99. Bill Montgomery

Jack it is obvious that the Democrats say no and the republicans say yes. There so many non combatants putting their two cents in the real soldiers, sailor,Air Force and marines don't have a chance. I asked VFW National to revoke his VFW membership and to suspend the charter of the Post he belongs to till they can check all thier members eligibility through the DD form 214 discharge paper to see if they are eligible as our VFW membership eligibility statement says. FAT CHANCE THAT! Politic isn't only in DC for sure.

May 18, 2010 at 5:36 pm |
  100. Don in Nevada

He is going to fit in just fine with the rest of the liars and cheats on Capital Hill.

May 18, 2010 at 5:36 pm |
  101. Mike Hyre

This guy should have just kept his mouth shut but I also want to say isn't it nice that we have an all volunteer military now? How many people looking down on this guy would be willing to take their chances on being drafted to go to Iraq of Afganistan? How many out there would try and get out of it? How many of those would be ashamed later? On my way back from a tour in Iraq last year people would come up and thank me for "my service". I kept thinking that the only people who owed me any thanks at all were male citizens of draft age. Because of a lot brave kids and a few old reservists like me just trying to make it to retirement this generation of men does not have to make those hard choices. I am glad of that seeing what Vietnam is still doing to people today.

May 18, 2010 at 5:36 pm |
  102. Robert Jones

Lying is wrong, but I'm not pleased to hear that his possible Republican opponent Linda McMahon has been taking credit for giving the New York Times this story. McMahon's camp did all of the research and provided the damning video. Blumenthal is wrong, but McMahon's campaign isn't right, either. In November, how about I pull page from that old movie "Brewster's Millions" and vote None of the Above.

Robert Jones, Milford, CT

May 18, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  103. Mance Lotter

here's one more thing he can lie about: "when i was elected a senator for the state of connecticut..."

May 18, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  104. Gordon Miller

Anybody who votes for this pompous, lying, typical Washington sob deserves what they get.

May 18, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  105. Larry Bange

Absolutely NOT!! I can appreciate his service via the marines aspect; HOWEVER, that has been destroyed now by his LYING comments that not only elude to his 'Vietnam service', but flat out state he did. Mis-leading or mis-stating is one thing, but LYING is quite another.

I myself was in the Marines, 'during' the Vietnam era; however I never actually went to Vietnam either, and I would NEVER put myself in any form of a comment as being a veteran that served in Vietnam. That would be a slap in the face to those that did; as well as a slap to those who is now or has served in other war locations. I am appauled at his original comment and even more so at his 'explanation'. How stupid does he think voters are? I hope those voters in his state send a LOUD message that such BS will not be tolerated by them!

May 18, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  106. keburg in Grand Rapids

What a sleazeball. He lied repeatedly, then lied when he denied being a chronic liar. It almost makes me want to vote Republican - almost. He should be beaten silly with the limbs lost by veterans who WERE brave enough to serve in that tragic war.

May 18, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  107. George

Blumenthal fits right in so why not keep him in there with Congressman Charles B. Rangel? Dems supported William Jefferson even after $90000 in cash found in the freezer.
    I really got a kick out of Presidents Obama saying he was outraged with oil execs pointing finger of blame at each other. Seems like he and Dems have been finger pointing at previous Administration ever since they took over the reigns. "Change " where is it? We're just getting more of the same OLD BOLOGNA. Time to Vote them all out.

May 18, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  108. Donovan

58,178 KIA in Vietnam. This man had five deferments then signed up for the reserves, escape hatch for the children of well heeled citizens, where he cooled his heels stateside, living off the fat of the land. I am a Vietnam vet, 25th Infantry division, 1969-1970, and I am insulted and disrespected by his disgraceful false claims of glory. How is it possible to trust this person who is willing to profit from the blood of my fellow servicemen, I lost a few good friends and this man is not a real member of "The Few. The Proud. The Marines." I cannot trust him with the nations well being. Define sleaze? Richard Blumenthal.

May 18, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  109. michael vivian

May 18, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  110. Gigi Oregon

It would be nice if we could throw out all who missed spoke. But...I'm afraid the lights would go out in Washington DC plus the rest of the country. Not to mention, if we included the media in that standard of honesty. We would once again be in the dark ages.

May 18, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  111. Jocco

Unless Conneticut voters have absolutly no scruples the other side of the isle picked up a seat. The absolute balls of this guy to make claims of combat service while having tried eveything but the gay card to escape the war amazes me. If any of his fellow politicians try to back him up I hope the respective voters of that district/state will show them to the door also.

May 18, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  112. Gail, Plano TX

Jack: I just watched the tape of the would be Senator from Connecticut on Hardball. He is totally delusional about serving in Vietnam, and also about being on the rowing team at Harvard. He is in a word DONE. Better a thief than a liar. At least u can see a thief.

May 18, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  113. Didi from Nashville

Lying is lying. I don't hold lying about military service in any higher esteem than lying about anything else. This man is done. He misrepresented his record. He needs to leave the race for being stupid enough to think in this Youtube generation he could get away with misspeaking. The public is riled up. He's not going to make it.

May 18, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  114. Cliff Glass - Rego Park, New York

Jack,

Diatribes aside, this is an issue for the people of Connecticut and more importantly, for war veterans.
    After all, Atty General Blumenthal is applying for a position in a legislative body, where the echos of saber-rattling continually drowns out the reality that only 6 Senators out of 100 have actually been in combat. If elected, he might feel right at home.

May 18, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  115. John

Jack, this is why our country is becoming second rate. The Attorney General of the State of Connecticut has blatantly lied about his military service. I'll say it again, the Attorney General lied. He wants to be a US senator and his party is supporting him. How sad. Does anybody really believe that he would tell the truth as a US Senator if he lied as an AG when he had no reason to lie If this guy is elected, there is little hope.

May 18, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  116. Roy Felty

I am a former Marine who enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1961. I was in Oklinawa in March, 1965, with the 3rd Marine Division when ordered to Vietnam, landing in DaNang and saw action until returning to what we called "the world" (meaning back home). I finished my service at Quantico, Va. after being extended for 6 months by then Secretary of the Navy. The obvious intent of Blumenthal is to take some patriotic credit where it is not deserved. He lied, plain and simple. Marines have a term for guys like him, but in good conscience and with manners my mother taught me, I won't mention it here. Just do the honorable thing and get out of the race, and also, resign from Attorney General of Conn...that's the least you can do.

May 18, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  117. Bill Gescheider

I am a Democrat. I cannot and will not support a man who lies about his military service for political, or any, advantage. This is demeaning to those who sacrifice daily, and those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice in the past. His attempt to ride the coattails of those who served IN Vietnam reflects on his character, and he should not be put in charge of anything.

His service, though minimal and with apparent attempted evasions, would have been respected had he said "I served during the Vietnam era, but was never deployed." As it stands, he misled people into believing he played a far greater part willingly for respect. He has lost those ill-gotten gains, and will get no respect from me.

May 18, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  118. Wayne In San Antonio

Perhaps Mr. Blumenthal should visit Arlington National Cemetery and misspeak to those who really did serve in Vietnam!

May 18, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
  119. Chet Iacobitti

It makes me sick everytime one of these politicians touts his service in Vietnam. I served in the Air Force from August 1969 to August 1970. I, like many of my generation didn't want to go, but we wen't anyway, because our country called and so we served. We as I have read, killed or injured 365,000 of the enemy, while we lost 58,000 of our own. Sombody please tell me how that amounts to us losing the war. As far as all veterans who fought in that war , WE WON IT. Now if you want to say we lost it politically, your right.

May 18, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
  120. Pat

Dodd is a bigger liar than this guy. Dodd used his influence to set himself up with a preferred mortgage rate. No telling what watchdogs haven't uncovered about his tenure in DC. I like Schiff to take this seat. The guy is very smart, honest and not an insider.

May 18, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
  121. Ken - WA

Jack,
    Based on your reaction to your question, WELCOME HOME, (you know what that means!) Thank You for your serviice. I'm an AF ERA 'Nam Vet who never touched down "in country" but was in direct supply support for you guy's. This guy doesn't deserve the "miss spoke" answer; he flat out lied! He is a disgrace to the 58K names on "The Wall" and all who have/are serving!
    Thank you and ALL who have served/serving and for standing up for us!

May 18, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
  122. Mike Wood

Democrats need to drop him like a bad habit. It is one thing for a politician to be tagged as liar through smear campaigns and dirty opposition. It is another thing entirely to be a proven liar and when it is something as big as serving in a war you actively avoided, there should be no redemption in the eyes of party leaders or the voters. If he "misspoke" in regards to something this serious what else has he "misspoken" about?

May 18, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
  123. m. g. o'neill

No. But, I live in the South and can't vote in his election. His statement was insulting to anyone who experienced those turbulent years and. Must have been written by Dan Rather. Shakespeare nailed the problem 500 years ago in Henry V's St Crespin day speech....

.....those...abed shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    and hold their manhood's cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us.....
    lot of that going around today!. regards,
    M.G. O'Neill USMC retired

May 18, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
  124. Joe Henderson

Pretty simple. A liar is a liar! Just what we need is more of them in our congress.

May 18, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  125. Terry Shonkwiler

What a slap in the face to all of us who did serve in Vietnam.
    After he hid from service now he wants to hide under a false
    expression of patriotism. And politicians wonder why we
    are fed up with them.

May 18, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  126. Claudia, Houston, Tx

The biggest lie that isn't being told here is how our military pledged to take care of those who served in Vietnam and failed to do so. They are the ones being treated like they never served in Vietnam and if those Vietnam veterans stand with Blumenthal, Connecticut Democrats should do the same.

May 18, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  127. John

I was running sepecial missions with the Green Berets while this fake soldier was having cocktail drinks with Bush and Cheney.
    I remember the time i came back home after the war to look for my veteran friends who served with me and then being treated like dirt in Hope, Washington, all this while this Faker Blumenthal were telling fake war stories to gullible people while he prepared to start his career as one of the average liers in Washington.

May 18, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  128. steve- virginia beach

No, and if he wins the nomination my guess is that actual vets will paint Connecticut red between now and 2012.

May 18, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  129. southerncousin

Unfortunately, many will continue to support him, even though he lied. If lying caused loss of support, the current president would be below 10% in popularity.

May 18, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  130. Jim

Connecticut Democrats should not support him – and I say that as someone who has never voted Republican. Before going on my line I heard NPR in my car, and they avoided the word "lied," preferring instead to cite Blumenthal claiming that he "misspoke." Good for you, Jack, for telling it like it is.

Jim in Murray, KY

May 18, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  131. me

I'm a hard core Democrat, but the party should rebuke him.

May 18, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  132. Kyle

Jack,

This situation is nothing but a spat on the honorable service of thousands of brave men who served their country. He has no place in congress, let alone in the same city as the wall with 50,000+ mens names who actually did serve and never got to come home. Disbar him immediately for he has absolutely no integrity.

May 18, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  133. Jim

Yes, ALL candidates that lie should NOT be supported in any way, shape, or form!!! We need people in office that have good ethics, values, and ideals, not ones that lack them!!!!!!!!

May 18, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  134. wayne d

2 thoughts here:
    When I was at Parris Island boot camp in Feb. 1968, the Tet Offensive was going on in Vietnam, and EVERYONE received orders for that piece of Hell. Except, of course, the politically-connected rich kids in the Reserves.
    I wonder if Blumenthal has put in for a post traumatic stress disability claim for his MC service in DC, decorating parks for boy scout functions. It must have been sheer terror.

May 18, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  135. Doug

Did he actually say he is a Vietnam vet? I served both active duty and National Guard duty during the Vietnam war. I never served in-country, even though I volunteered to do so. The VA refers to me and those like me as a Vietnam era vet. I have seen at least one report where Blumenthal referred to himself that way. Check it out. Words matter. By the way, I'm no fan of Blumenthal, but I hate to see any vet slapped around. While I'm at it, knock off the snide remarks about those who served in the guard and reserves. Many of those also went to Vietnam.

May 18, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  136. Richard Texas

They can and they have. Why should this election be any different?

May 18, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  137. howard2, Seattle, WA

Compared to Hillary Clinton's long drawn out description of ducking sniper fire in Sarajevo ( to prove her foreign affairs experience) this seems to be a tempest in a teapot when it comes to lying.

However, exaggerating experience in Vietnam, gotJohn Kerry pretty close to being president, so maybe Blumenthal is following in his footsteps. I would say they dump him, but since I am a Republican, I say let the Democrats keep him on the ballot.

May 18, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  138. Susan from Idaho

We can only hope he was treated like so many Vietnam vets where when he got home, it sounds like he is shell shocked and never left home.

May 18, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  139. Dave Byrne

As a Vietnam Vet, I find it very humorous that the guys who did everything to stay out of Nam are now doing their damnest to claim they were there ! This guy belongs in Congress !!

May 18, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  140. Bob Kirby

Jack,

As a Vietnam veteran and a proud member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars( VFW), I am insulted by Blumenthal's self portrayal as a war veteran. He has callously used it to impress the voters of Connecticut enough to feed his ambitions to become a U.S. Senator. His excuse that he merely used "a few misplaced words" shows his true character - a weasel who has been caught in his own lie... more than once! He is a disgrace representing Connecticut as the Attorney General - he has clearly lied on multiple occasions - and should resign his office immediately. I was also surprised that he used the VFW in New Britain,CT as a cover to help him in him charade that he has done nothing wrong. Such chutzpah ! Is this the kind of ally President Obama wants in Washinton? Throw all the bums out!

May 18, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  141. Rlg

If he lied about Vietnam, what else did he lie about?

May 18, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  142. larry wi

Annie, his type of service was a direct cop out. Nothing at all honorable about being a weekend warrior during the VN conflick. Nothing more than an easier way to avoid combat rather than going to Canada!

May 18, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  143. Lewis Silverman

I don't think anyone should support his candidacy. The last thing this country needs is to have someone who not only lies but chooses semantics to try to talk his way out of it. A lie is a lie; I did not serve in Vietnam only because I lucked out and was given a very high number in the draft lottery. Never ever have I "misspoke" about my (lack of) service. And now Richard Blumenthal expects people to support him because he simply "misspoke. This is an insult to all Americans in general and, in particular, to those who served and, in over 50,000 cases, lost their lives. What do you say to those soldiers and their families? Ooops, I misspoke?

May 18, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  144. Disappointed Student

This is just classic democrat right here. I cannot stand to see these "weasels" as you call them running around and lying about things like this. I mean what a slap in the face to our veterans that valiantly served in Vietnam. This is honestly just appalling to me. I am a volunteer for Congressman Mark Kirk who is running for Senate in Illinois and as a reservist in the Navy he has spent Christmas the last two years in Afghanistan. That is commitment and service, something this guy really ought to learn.

May 18, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  145. Sharon

Of course the Connecticut Democrats should NOT support Blumenthal .. but of course the party faithful and DNC will support him and claim that it is all an outrageous distortion and attack by the Republicans.
    Never mind that we hear him lie in so many video clips – never mind that he has disparaged all who served honorably in Vietnam. The politcal corruption throughout both parties is what is driving Americans from Party Structure to Independent status. Our country is in trouble because it constantly allows out and out lies to pass as simple mis-spoken words.

May 18, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  146. Rich

I find the Attorney General very trustworthy and take him at his word....uh, wait...I think I just mispoke.

May 18, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  147. Diogenes

Given that all politicians lie once in office does it matter that this 'deferment queen' swift boated himself, I can only hope he is handed his head on a platter

May 18, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  148. Jacques

He's a liar and a draft dodger (just like our former President).

Throw him out with the rest of the trash.

May 18, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  149. tom p

being a marine corp. vietnam vet serving from 12-67 to 4-69 and recieving connecticut veterans ribbon was giving to me by blumenthal. At the ceremony I asked him at the event if he was an artileryman( I was told this by some one) so I asked him he informed me that he was just a grunt (infantry) which was abold face lie.I'm a liberal independent but I would vote for sara palin before I would vote for blumenthal. I guess there is no such thing as a honest politication

May 18, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  150. Howard Murray

Yes (tongue-in-cheek)!! Select him as the Dem. candidate and maybe the GOP opponent will win in the general election.

On more serious note, we forgive mis-statements ... remember: "No new Taxes"? And also, no one has cornered the market on integrity.

But that said, AG Blumenthal lied. A lie from an AG is not excusable. What a role model for our youth! He should resign in disgrace from his position. Resignation might indicate repentance, and make him eligible for our forgiveness.

I was there for 2 years! Many comrades never returned alive.

College Station, Texas

May 18, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  151. Alan in Ohio

There are already enough liars in Washington, one more is not needed.

May 18, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  152. Russ

Of course they should consider it and NOT vote for him. There needs to be a zero tolerance policy for this kind of nonsense. It is, however, funny to see conservatives fawning all over the New York Times about this story.

May 18, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  153. daBorg

The point here is - he went out of his way to misrepresent his military service record. No one forced him to claim that he served in the war. And that means that besides being amoral, he's also extremely stupid because he thought he could get away with it.

Now amorality is a norm for politicians, almost a requirement. It's what attracts them to politics in the first place. But stupidity - that's just dangerous. Send him packing.

May 18, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  154. DIANA

Am I missing something? Why is this in the same category as those who cheat on their spouses, take Apalachan trails, or take a :Rent a Boy on a trip saying he needed help with his luggage? He didn't steal anything. Yes, he lied about something as important as his military service but.......

DIANA
    LOS ANGELES, CA

May 18, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  155. Jim Campbell

Why do we believe any person who runs for public office, without checking their reliability. We have a system that allows any and all BS artist to try an blow smoke up our senses, and the news media just reports their facts as if true. The real facts are we donot have an investigative media to expose these characters for what they are. If your seeking a public office, your not believable. A sad commentary.....

May 18, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  156. John

The fact that this candidate lied does matter because, if history is any indication, quality of character is the MOST important qualification of any candidate. This seems to be overlooked too often resulting in Watergate, Monicagate, the John Edwards debacle etc., etc. Give me a candidate with no political experience but a wealth of honor, integrity and decency anyday over the arrogant, self-serving dilettantes that seem to dominate the political landscape. In addition, as a Marine Corps infantry veteran of Vietnam, I am offended by these people that wouldn't give Vietnam veterans the time of day but now seem to want to be one. Send this lying wannabe somewhere besides Washington, that city doesn't need another scoundrel, it's already reached its quota.

May 18, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  157. Gordon Miller

I had a few misplaced words but did not lie - what I should have said is anybody who votes for this pompous, lying, typical polician deserves what they get. He is not in Washington yet.But I did not lie, I just misspoke.

May 18, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  158. Tim

If he wants to redeem himself he should enlist and go do 2 or 3 tours in the middle east then come back and run for office. What a bunch of crap. If you dont have enough confidence in yourself to not lie about who you are then you have no place trying to run this country. I do not care if you are on the right or left it is time to quit playing games and get some real people in washington who have a code of honor. To the Dems.... If any of you back him on this then you need to leave your office as well... Thanks for your time. Tim

May 18, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  159. marcy, margate,fl.

As the saying goes,

"99% of the attorneys make the rest of them look bad."

May 18, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  160. luis

hey jack who cares let’s just look at the track records of all in congress and only about 10% had the privilege of serving all in congress have lied to us every day and I think they are believing their own lies.

May 18, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  161. Chuck

There are 35 year old men holding Vietnam Vet posters on every corner in Houston, Texas begging for money. People are gullible enough to give them a handout. The citizens of Connecticut are probably gullible enough to cast a vote for him. Read the New York Times article and see what an incredibly privileged life this guy lead as a young man. It was no secret then that the privileged were avoiding Vietnam and it should be no secret when George W. Bush or other blue bloods (Fortunate Ones- Credence Clearwater Revival) are exposed today.

May 18, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  162. bebe

I hope he Win's in spite of what he did! the New York Time's chose to release this information on voting day, why not month's before?could it be they want this Democratic Candidate to lose the election? YES! and so what he didn't go to VIETNAM! he didn't create that Hell, he was a young man, and he wanted to Live!

How many politician's LIE? they all do, but, one thing I like about this man, he is a Democrat! he could be a Conservative, but, no, he chose to become a person of the people, for if he had become a Conservative, trust me, this would not be a Subject! so I hope Democrat's come out and support this man, as if Jack is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO upset, please, give me a break!

May 18, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  163. Elaine

My late husband served 20 years in the Navy and my new husband spent 30 years in the Air Force and Air Force reserve and I take great exception to some cretin saying he served somewhere he didn't. I thank God every day that I am not a self-serving, lying, SOB democrat. This man doesn't deserve to be a human being, let alone one of our lawmakers. He was a Harvard Law School grad and I know for a fact that lawyers don't "unintentionally misspeak" about anything. Go back to the pig pen you climbed out.

May 18, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  164. Thrasher

True enough, I've never heard of a politician who hasn't lied, promised, whatever to get elected. But lying about military service, especially that you served along side brave women and men some of who died in that service – sorry that's over the top – you gotta go.

Democrats are crazy to continue to back him at this point – and gutless as well not to call it like it is.

May 18, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  165. JB

Lying about serving is Vietnam is worse than lying about an extramarital affair or almost anything else. Why? Because it insults those of us who actually served in Vietnam. Blumenthal is lying scum who is not worthy of political office or any other position of responsibility. If Dems support him, it will speak poorly of the Democratic Party.

May 18, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  166. Eric B in metro Houston

they should go after ALL these liars Jack from this Democrat to the the GOPers who lied about "death panels" and "pulling the plug on Grandma". ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

May 18, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  167. George

Richard Blumenthal. just needs to spend some time in Rehab Clinic? Got a case of slip of the tongue syndrome which a couple weeks of therapy should cure.

May 18, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  168. Andrew from San Diego

More power to Peter Schiff.

May 18, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  169. Gary

The Stolen Valor Law has done a lot to curtail this type of activity. What is ironic is that for almost 20 years after the war is wasn't fashionable to be a Vietnam veteran and we had to be closet veterans to avoid being discriminated against. After the Vietnam Memorial went up it became fashionable and we started to see more of these phonies. Look at some of his photos and if he wore unauthorized medals or ribbons charge him. I was in Vietnam last year and in a country where 95% of the population drives $200 chinese mortor bikes the former Vietcong drive black Mercedes. Over here our veterans can't even get adequate health care. The one great benefit we received was our membership in The Warrior Brotherhood. You will never be a member Mr. Blumenthal.

May 18, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  170. Cindy Merrill

Absolutely NOT. My husband is a Vietnam Vet and he thinks Blumenthal should be forced to resign right now: His "misspoken" statements would have landed any non elected US citizen into alot of trouble.

May 18, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  171. Brian (From Chicago)

I'm beginning to think no one is perfect in politics Jack. You just have those that get caught, and those that haven't been caught yet. I think we should stop expecting our politicians to be God like. It looks like Blumenthal lied about his role in the Vietnam War to seem more relevant. Which is wrong. However, he has done a lot for Veteran Affairs and seems to be passionate about what he has been able to accomplish. That must count for something.

He hasn't been caught cheating on his wife yet (Mark Souder,etc), so I say give him another shot.

May 18, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  172. MDavid

Even if he in fact said the phrase "when we returned from Vietnam," that doesn't prove anything. He may have been using "we" in an overarching way that doesn't include the speaker in a literal sense. Example: To say "when we discovered how to split the atom..." doesn't necessarily mean that the speaker is implying that he or she was one of the people involved in the discovery.

May 18, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  173. sara

Jack, did he really lie ? I read the article and to be honest I can't tell

May 18, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  174. Jorge

Why not? Heck, republicans supported Bush for eight years and it didn't turn so bad. Or did it? Hum...If the man said he serve in Nam...lets see his DD214. Hum...it's not there. Well there's wanna be cops everywhere even in the Democratic party. But an Attorney General trying to be a Vietnam Vet, shame on him. One man wants to be seen as a Hero and the other man, Bush, went AWOL. What a country!
    Jorge