May 14th, 2010

What do you think is Sarah Palin's favorite literature?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

This was just too good to pass up.

It was announced this week that Sarah Palin's second book will be out this fall.

Oh goody.

The publisher says that among other things it will contain Ms. Palin's favorite literature and poetry.

Now if memory serves me correctly, back when she was destroying John McCain's chances to be president by doing those self-destructive interviews with Katie Couric on the CBS Evening News, Couric asked her what newspaper she read on a regular basis in order to keep abreast of current events:

Couric: And when it comes to establishing your worldview, I was curious, what newspapers and magazines did you regularly read before you were tapped for this to stay informed and to understand the world?

Palin: I've read most of them, again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media.

Couric: What, specifically?

Palin: Um, all of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years.

Couric: Can you name a few?

Palin: I have a vast variety of sources where we get our news, too.

Now we are being asked to believe that a woman who couldn't name a newspaper she read while aspiring to the second highest office in the land has an appetite for literature and poetry.

Sarah Palin is making a naked grab for all the money she can get her hands on.

And that's fine... they all do it. That's why she quit in the middle of her term as governor of Alaska.

But stop playing us all for rubes who fell off the truck when the carnival went through town.

Here’s my question to you: What do you think is Sarah Palin’s favorite literature?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

John writes:
Abe Lincoln or P.T. Barnum. Whichever one said "You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time and…" That's as far as she got.

Tony in Rockville, Maryland writes:
I would guess that most of her information comes from the major public policy journals like People, Us, and InStyle. Possibly The National Enquirer also. As far as serious literature is concerned, I'm sure she probably has a copy of "My Pet Goat" on her bookshelf.

Robert in Valencia, California writes:
"Remembrance of Things Past" by Marcel Proust... pop-up edition.

Don writes:
Sarah Palin's favorite literature must be whatever the ghost writer puts on paper. She may be the darling of the Tea Party set, but I doubt that she has read anything since high school.

Joe writes:
Reading her investment portfolio.

Danyael writes:
"The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Steve writes:
The little-known Dr. Seuss classic, "Green Eggs and Moose".

Kenny in California writes:
"The Pitcher in the Rye."

Ronald writes:
Sarah Palin is an interesting study. I agree that she's really trying to make as much money as she can off her notoriety. As for her reading list, I seriously doubt that she reads anything other than talking points, which all seem to be clichés..."Get the government off our backs, drill baby drill, proud patriot," etc. I think a book about how Sarah Palin has gamed the system and hoodwinked the American public would be much more interesting than her own (supposed) works.

Ronda in Canastota, New York writes:
Oh no, Jack, not another Sarah Palin question. Stick to Michelle Obama. At least she brings a smile to your face and a twinkle to your eye... and she's literate, to boot.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Elizabeth

Jack, How about Alice in Wonderland?

May 14, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  2. Diane Michell

It would have to be Snow White, especially the part where the wicked witch asks the mirror "Mirror,Mirror on the wall, who's the smartest vice presidential candidate of them all?"

May 14, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  3. Marc

From Amherst, NH
    Perhaps she likes the Sunday Comics. Maybe Doonesbury provides here with the needed current events.

May 14, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  4. Scott in BC

I honestly don't know what Palin might read . . . assuming My Pet Goat is a bit out of her league? Perhaps some sort of Stepford Wives / Absolute Power hybrid? Are you sure it's not someone reading TO her?

May 14, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  5. Chris

Politics for dummies come to mind....

May 14, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  6. GARRY

america has to wake up, just thinking that a person of this calliber has any chance of getting into any political office again is a very sad state of affairs for every one

May 14, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  7. Wised

I think her reading skills are at Dr Seuss level, thus, anything more complicated than supermarket isle tabloids is probably out of her league.

May 14, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  8. Bill

I bet they were atleast magazines and papers that knew how many states there were in the U.S. Of course I am just as sure it doesn't worry you as much about a president that didn't know that. To take a situation where someone doesn't want to get specific on an answer about reading material, and make such a big deal about it, shows the journalistic jouvenile reason certain other News Sources rate so much better.

May 14, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  9. RJ

Whatever it is, I'm sure it involves lots of bright colorful pictures and very few words

May 14, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  10. Mr. Trueman

You can't ask that question because it's a "gotcha question".

May 14, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  11. P Miller

Dick and Jane Carry Automatic Weapons to School

May 14, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  12. David in Atlanta

I imagine she favors pop-up books over Hemingway or Dickens.

May 14, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  13. Liz

Green Eggs and Ham?

May 14, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  14. Christian

My money's on a softback copy of Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss inside a hardback copy of de Tocqueville's Democracy in America. If she's planning to list things she's actually read instead of just listing whatever great books she feels are most impressive, she strikes me as a Robert Service/Jack London reader. Then again, she's a maverick, so maybe she'll come out and surprise us with Anton Lavey's Satanic Bible.

May 14, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  15. T. O. Latham

"See Spot Run"

May 14, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  16. John Judy

Rich mama bear, poor mama bear?

May 14, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  17. Burbank

Since she's a textbook narcissist I would have to say her diary.

May 14, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  18. Matt

Probably a toss-up between the picture-book version of the Bible (featuring a blonde-haired blue-eyed Jesus, natch) and an illustrated version of Ronald Reagan's biography.

May 14, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  19. Dustin

It's painfully obvious that, whatever her favorite literature is, it doesn't pertain to anything involving bothersome facts.

May 14, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  20. Kenny in Cambridge, MA

Well, Jack, there's what she reads and what she'd like us to think she reads. The Bible would be on both lists. Ayn Rand, too. For poetry, I'd guess "Charge of the Light Brigade," Sgt. Joyce Kilmer's "Trees," and "The Cremation of Sam McGee." Seems pretty patronizing to speculate but her pretensions kind of bring that out in us.

May 14, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  21. Nathan

Does it matter? The more attention we pay to her, the more books she'll put out, the more rallies she'll attend and the more spotlight she'll make an attempt to grab. Just ignore her, and she'll go away.

May 14, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  22. Phil Lapin

Literature? I'm sure she is up to speed on snowmobile user's manuals, as well as the refined skill of reading her bank statements.

May 14, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  23. Mark Peterson

"How to Succeed in Politics Without Really Trying"

May 14, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  24. tom

We already know what high quality literature she reads.... Grimm' Fairy Tales, Peter Cottontail, Snow White, Peter Pan, Mother Goose etc. Nothing of intellectual value since her IQ is sub-standard and she wouldn't understand any abstract thoughts....

May 14, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  25. Christopher

Palin's favorite literature must be anything fiction – because that's in the same genre in which her speeches are written. Everything she says is fiction!

May 14, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  26. Carlton

All of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales, with the Emperor's New Suit being her favorite.

Atlanta, Georgia

May 14, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  27. R. A. Williamson

I'm guessing 'itsy bitsy spider' is the most advanced text she finished.
    (Danville California)

May 14, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  28. Greg Bal

The only thing she reads is her bank statement.

May 14, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  29. Stephanie - Alamogordo, NM

I suspect most of what she reads is scribbled on her hand. She doesn't come across as a person who is widely read or particularly knowledgeable of current issues.

May 14, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  30. John in Canada

I would think anything Dr Seuss-ish ..........

May 14, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  31. Todd

Her favorite book is probably "Green Eggs and Ham".

May 14, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  32. JDM

I'm sure she's read Dickens (all of them), Clavell (all of them), Mitchner (all of them), Austin (all of them), Wolfe (all of them) and Rutherfurd (all of them). Oh, and the W coloring book series.

May 14, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  33. Shane

I would have to think that "My Pet Goat" would be up there in the top 3. If "Mein Kempf" were ever to be made into a children's book and/or cartoon, she might enjoy that one as well.

Shane
    Nashville, TN

May 14, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  34. Mike Joyell

Being the intellect that Sarah Palin is, I believe that she likes to curl up to a warm fire with the "First Dude" and read Fun With Dick and Jane.

May 14, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  35. Mike Sullivan Wellington Colorado

Well Jack, based on her recent endorsement of Carly Fiorina, the ousted HP CEO, I'm actually suprised she can read but my best guess would be 'Hooked on Phonics'.

May 14, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  36. Sam

Well it wasn't "How To Win Friends And Influence People"...then again, maybe it was!

May 14, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  37. Fred Bruhn

From San Clemente, Ca.
    I understand she told her hubby not to get her a book for her birthday as she already had one.

May 14, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  38. Mark Northern PA

Its Comic Books Jack-Comic Books.

May 14, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  39. Alex in Wisconsin

I believe that Sarah Palin's choice in literature is whatever her handlers put in front of her. It's not like she actually reads the content, but i bet she likes the pretty pictures. She especially likes coloring in the pictures with her kid's box of crayons.

May 14, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  40. Nick

I'm willing to bet that anything from the Dr. Seuss collection is probably the upper limit of her favorite literature.

May 14, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  41. Prince

I think after she read the comics, she opens up randomly to ROBIN HOOD to see who to steal from next. I do believe she reads a page or two from the Bible, but skipped "...for the love of money is the root of all evil." Give credit where credit is due. Within a couple of years she'll be borke and back in Alaska throwing a moose on the bar-be to feed all the chillun.

May 14, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  42. Stuart Pearson

I imagine she's read ALL the pop-up books her staff could find.

May 14, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  43. Norman Byrd

Judging by what we've seen and heard, it definitely isn't the Constitution or The Federalist Papers. She'll probably say it's the Bible but it's more likely that it's a toss-up between "The Little Engine That Could" and "Guns & Ammo."

May 14, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  44. Satyavati

Jack,

Honestly I think Sarah Palin's favourite literature has to be something with little tiny words and a lot of pictures.

I can't see her really managing much else.

Satyavati
    Roxboro NC

May 14, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  45. Paul

Probably only her own right-wing press releases. Intellectually, she's shallower than a mud puddle.

Paul
    Spotsylvania, VA

May 14, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  46. ezekiel

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz...cause she's all show and no substance, just like the Wizard.

May 14, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  47. Robin S

Frankly, I think Sarah Palin's not as well read as my 12 y.o. daughter. I think what will be presented as her favorite "literature and poetry" will be what someone else decided plays best with her constituency and offers the highest rate of publicity and financial return.

I think the only "literature" she reads is whatever is scrolling across a Fox teleprompter.

May 14, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  48. William Brockman

Anything which someone can read to her and then explain what it means.

May 14, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  49. David Connelly, Salem, Utah

Easy- whatever is written on her hand

May 14, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  50. Steve Wilson (Florida)

Palins favorite books.

"101 Recipes for Moose"
    "On a Clear Day You Can See Russia"

May 14, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  51. emil

At least you sounded like you kinda believe she can possible be writing Mr. Cafferty, I don't buy that. A writer will never go this route trying so hard to make people believe she is something she is not. That's like a waste of time for a writer. Yes she is doing it for the money but perhaps the real writer using her name can make more money choosing someone else. Her favorite literature, let's see ? hmmm!!! all of them🙂 she already answered!! She is a disaster like Donald Trump says, like Rosie. At least Rosie is real.

May 14, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  52. Todd Palin

Sarah's favorite book is Fun with Dick and Jane. She's almost mastered the whole thing.

May 14, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  53. Steve

I dunno...Mother Goose...Dr Suess?

May 14, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  54. francesca

1st grade primer. See Sarah Run. See Sarah Laugh....all the way to the bank

Virginia Beach

May 14, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  55. René

Instead of "My Pet Goat" of George W. Bush fame, Sarah's favorite book is called by "My Pet Project with Wingnuts and Tea Partiers".

René

Tucson, Arizona

May 14, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  56. Pete

"The Bobbsey Twins Go to Alaska"

May 14, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  57. joe

the bible or cat in the hat

May 14, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  58. Jeremy

Judging by what I have heard come out of her mouth, I would say she is an avid reader of Dr. Seuss!

May 14, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
  59. Charly Stoll

All that she is able to read: See Dick and Jane, Cat in the Hat.. Stop giving this woman press Jack, I am quickly losing trust in any media outlets.

May 14, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
  60. Ryan

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Sarah wrote a poem
    Now she wants some money from you

May 14, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
  61. Ryan the OC in Portland, OR

Ted, White, and Blue: The Nugent Manifesto

May 14, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
  62. Wayne

I'm thinking the Three Billy Goats Gruff and the Little Engine That Could.

May 14, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
  63. rosanne

Oh pulease!!!! First of all she can't do it without a "collaborator," Secondly, it's nothing more than a "collection" - which means pulling from here and there and everywhere. Anyone who spends a penny on this book has a suspect IQ. And you wonder why some of us independent-thinking persons (mostly female I'll bet) think Sarah Palin is a waste of time. Well-meaning, perhaps, certainly promotionally exceptionally smart.........but a waste of time.
    rosanne cohn
    redmond, washington

May 14, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
  64. Pat from Illinois

"Guns & Ammo" ! When do we get a tough question?

May 14, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
  65. Mole in the party

Well by golly that's an easy one The Rush Limbaugh talk radio show

May 14, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
  66. S. M. Brendle

I Love to Read by Dr. Seuss.... with no offense intended to Dr. Seuss.

S. M. Brendle in St. Louis, MO

May 14, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
  67. Dennis Chavez

The little train that couldnt.

May 14, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  68. Joseph

This is not even a question. Her favorite literature is the Bible (for the voters). Though I doubt she has read even half of it.

May 14, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  69. (Judge) John R. Stewart

Mr. Cafferty,,
    I doubt any thinnking person takes Gov. Palin seriously. She does not have the intellect, in my opinion, to be President, or even Govenor.

I doubt seriously that recruiter from Harvard or le would be chasing her for a positionon their faculty.

regareds,

Judge Stewart

May 14, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  70. Bob Earnheart

I would put my money on 'Where's Waldo'.

Greenville Sc

May 14, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  71. Russ

her favorite "literature"? her own "books"!

May 14, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  72. Qublai Khan

Holy Bible; King James version to be precise!

May 14, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  73. Alex Maduro

I bet I can name a few of her favorites: Dr. Zeus, Dick and Jane, Fancy Nance and Winnie the Pooh.

May 14, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  74. Jack Paulden

"Kay Sara Sara...whatever will be will be...the future is mine to ski...Kay Sara Sara! "
    or
    "The Truth! The Whole Truth! and Nothing!" By U.S. Gov.
    "North to Nebraska" by Wrong Way Corrigan.
    "Bush Pilot's in Alaska" by Amy Dearhart
    "Yah! No!" by I.C. Clearly

"Doing the Bering Straight!" by Gay Talese

"Good Anchorage" by Firm Harding

May 14, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  75. Uncle Bob

The three little pigs

May 14, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  76. Dennis Chavez

The little train that couldnt.

Phoenix, AZ

May 14, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  77. Cindy

I would say Dr. Suess, but he was socially progressive which reads commie plotting to "tear down america", and the words are probably a bit much for her.

I honestly doubt she reads for pleasure at all. Not the type.
    What she will likely list in order:
    1. The Bible
    2. Anything written by Dr. Billy Graham
    3. Probably a title from our friend Newt
    4. Judging from her latest shennanigans I'd have to say something regarding the life of Susan B. Anthony.

However, I doubt if she has actually read any of them from cover to cover, if at all. *sigh*

Titles that would change my mind at least somewhat:
    Anything by Dr. Seuss
    Where the Wild Things Are
    The Art of Racing in The Rain
    Anything by Joseph Campbell
    Anything by Maya Angelou
    Anything by Asimov
    Anything By Greg Bear, Jim Butcher, Robert Heinlien, Pohl Anderson, Niel Gaiman, Neil Stephenson, Mark Twain, Ellen Pagel, Ben Bova,
    The Illiad, The Oddesey, etc.

78. Jim Devereaux

Everyone Poops
    By Taro Gomi

79. John

Mother Goose Fairytales. How else can you account for all the incredibly idiotic statements she makes!

80. Thomas

Gov. Palin reads what's put in front of her through the right wing filter.

81. Alison

Jack, Jack, Jack!
    C'mon, you know better than that! The new book is only meant to give the imPRESSION that she reads. You know, like her speeches give the impression that she thinks!

82. Marc Los Angeles

Nothing surprises me in todays world. Every one is jostling for their 15 minutes of fame and Palin certainly is a perfect example of this. I predict that she will go down as a footnote in history, in spite of her wishful thinking supporters.

83. JD

I'd like to think Palin would thoroughly enjoy, and highly recommend, anything having to do with Dr. Seuss, Richard Scarry, Sesame St. and maybe Thomas the Train.

84. mike shaw

the most obvious answer, of course, is all of them...whatever has been in front of her all these years

85. Joseph B

My guess is that she will choose some popular books to claim as her favorites – yet I would hope that you will ask her questions to confirm whether she actually read and comprehended these "favorite" books. Similarly, I would hope that you ask her about why she likes the selected poetry and what it means to her.

These answers could provide more insight into what Sarah Palin likes and why and thus can help paint a better picture of who she really is more than simply her overexposed persona.

86. francesca

1 st grade primer. See Sarah run. See Sarah Laugh....all the way to the bank.

Virginia Beach

87. dman

Any coloring book that is already colored in. She doesn't want to work that hard.

88. Julie in Minnesota

How to Become a Millionaire in 365 Days

89. Aaron G. Lages

"Candyland" That's a book, right? "Candyland"?

90. katie

Palin's favorite book will be George W. Bush's pop up book with all the pretty pictures!

May 14, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  91. Joseph B

These answers could provide more insight into what Sarah Palin likes and why and thus can help paint a better picture of who she really is more than simply what we witness of her overexposed persona.

– Chicago, IL

May 14, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  92. Scorpionbb

See spot. See spot run. Good spot! Palin's favorite line in all of literature no doubt.

May 14, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  93. Cyaneyes

"I'm one of the few people you'll ever meet who've written more books than they've read." – Garth Merenghi

May 14, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  94. BenFranklin

"The Pet Goat," what else?

May 14, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  95. Jonathan

Mad Libs... but I she'll definitely need the help with verbs, adjectives, nouns and the ever difficult adverbs!

May 14, 2010 at 5:59 pm |
  96. Allen Indianapolis

It certainly isn't the wall or she would have given up her crazy thoughts. I bet it's tea leaves.

May 14, 2010 at 5:59 pm |
  97. Joe McNaughten

I was going to guess Dr. Seuss, but even his writing would probably befuddle her. I'm guessing See Spot Run is at the top of her list.

May 14, 2010 at 5:59 pm |
  98. DON, TRAVERSE CITY, MICHIGAN

Comic books! That is... if she can understand them!

May 14, 2010 at 5:59 pm |
  99. john

I think Cliff notes are too long for Sarah so any Kindle product for a good book in only 60 seconds and she doesn't even have to read, just plug and play.

May 14, 2010 at 5:59 pm |
  100. pete at the beach

im sure its picture book fantasy

May 14, 2010 at 5:59 pm |
  101. Christopher Bond

Into the Wild
    Let's be honest, it is definitely on her top 3

May 14, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  102. Caias ward

Most likely "The Little Engine That Could", the wonderful story of someone who simply believes thinking something makes it true, rather than seeing that there is a whole rest of the world.

May 14, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  103. Marian Mansfield

Mother Goose, maybe? Prineville, Oregon

May 14, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  104. Rich Nairn

All the Dr. Seuss novels.

May 14, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  105. Jrad

Hmmm, Cat and the Hat or maybe Green Eggs and Ham?

I'm sure it would combine her requirements for both favorite 'poetry and literature'. Two birds with one stone!

May 14, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  106. BUELL CONNELL

I'll " betcha" her favorite literature contains lots of large pictures, just like another moron we elected from Texas. "Going Rouge II " the
    sequel ,will be another intellectual twist of the " Big hat, no cows " quip
    simply translated as " Big book, few ideas " – great cover though.
    She needs to smoke some more salmon to accompany her little
    tea parties.

107. dave in nash

Not Catcher in the Rye, but then maybe it was the one book she read and didn't understand.

108. James Kassaris

Jack, obviously Miss Palin's favorite literature is "All the King's Men", and such, and that's why she likes to appear on Larry King Live, and discuss all the prose.

109. Tim

Pat the Bunny.

110. William

My first thought was the comic section, But today's comics are a little too sophisticated for her.

111. Deb Ferguson Gainesville FL

Being a busy mom and employed full time, she probably doesnt have alot of free time for reading, like many of us. I would guess she reads nonfiction history when she can and books her children enjoy daily.

112. Chadwick

Palin's favorite books.. Hmm lets see.

Goodnight Moon
    Mike Mullican and his Steam Shovel
    The Very Hungry Caterpiller

... and all the others that have been in front of her all these years.

113. Kirk H.

The Sears catalog.

Kirk H.
    Ypsilanti, MI

114. Greg G

Cue cards and whatever is written on her hand.

115. Joe

ALICE IN WONDERLAND: "But I don't want to go amongst mad people," said Alice. "Oh, you can't help that," said the cat. "We're all mad, here. I'm mad. You're mad."

116. Gerald (Tampa)

Cinderlla

117. Ray in canada

My guess would Field and Stream, more specially "How to shoot Moose"

118. texasaero

Green Eggs And Ham!

119. NSFWJonathan

Sarah Palin's favorite literature? In order:

1 – Going Rogue
    2 – The Bible (just the parts that back her political beliefs, though)
    3 – Where's Waldo (that's how she knows she could find Bin Laden if just given the chance)

120. Pat (Georgia)

Sara's favorite literature topics are Cooking Wild Game Recipe Books, How to Say One Liners Over and Over, and How to Sell One's OWN Image Books. Yes, HOW TO BOOKS are at the top. Wonder if she has ever read the US Constitution she talks so much about.

121. Three Dog Mama

Field & Stream

122. WMB

Superman comic books, but only those issues from the sixties dealing with DC's Bizarro World.

123. Jack Paulden

"Goody Goody Two Shoes" by Tina Fey

May 14, 2010 at 6:02 pm |
  124. ramses

Curse the Democratic Party, Praise the Republican party
    Act smart, charming & take the word of Bible
    All roads lead to Money. America is the greatest Nation in the world
    This is what everybody is doing. I am doing the right thing.
    Everybody loves me> So, we all love you Sarah. Keep drilling.

May 14, 2010 at 6:02 pm |
  125. Alejandro

Probably street signs, facebook comments, and looks at the pictures in the newspapers.

New Orleans.

May 14, 2010 at 6:02 pm |
  126. Ron in Sequim, WA

My guess is her favorite literature includes the Constitution, the Bible and the Declaration of Independence ... items I wonder if you've ever read.

May 14, 2010 at 6:02 pm |
  127. Evil Hollywood Liberal

Highlights for Children (magazine)

anything Dr. Seuss

May 14, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  128. rick levison

Jack, I am sure that The UFO Observer is on her reading list. Perhaps she is searching for intelligent life??

Rick, Ft. Lauderdale. FL.

May 14, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  129. GentleCritic

Just like George Bush's favorite, "The Pet Goat"

May 14, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  130. D. Ross

Has to be Atlas Shrugged, the official novel of anti-government capitalists and the women who love them. It has the complete lack of subtlety that has defined her career.

May 14, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  131. Julyfly

Robert W. Service, of course--and why not? It makes more sense than this political drivel.

May 14, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  132. Ken in Oregon

Not very much. Palin lost me when she first opened her mouth to speak on the national stage. She is a mouthpiece for ultra conservatives and probably had the list of literature created for her. The fact that so many conservatives think so highly of a quitter doesn't bode well for conservatism in the US.

May 14, 2010 at 6:04 pm |
  133. Charlie (Arizona)

I really think it is the Disney classic readings of, "Winnie the Pooh". She is under the impression that the public thinks she is the national honey, when instead the public knows she's only after money. Publicity is her punch line, when she speaks, she'll surely be out of line. Funny things she will say, most definately not knowledgable in any way. I hope she is fond of "Tigger" to, we know what "Winnie" would say "Woo hoo hoo".

May 14, 2010 at 6:04 pm |
  134. Jordan K.

Sky Mall.....

May 14, 2010 at 6:04 pm |
  135. anotherview

Oh, jack. I know it must be hard seeing someone you have such a hard time with selling over two million copies of her book while you done how many....bitter people seem to attack those who are uplifting

May 14, 2010 at 6:04 pm |
  136. Michael (San Francisco, CA)

I don't think Roses are Red, Violetes are blue counts as poetry.

May 14, 2010 at 6:04 pm |
  137. deb ny

My Pet Goat

May 14, 2010 at 6:04 pm |
  138. Don (Belleville, Ontario)

I suspect that she is reading Donald Desaulniers' new book "An Unusual Las Vegas Holiday".
    I also guess that she would like him to write a book on her new life, titled: "An Unusually Well Paid Holiday on the Lecture Circuit".

May 14, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
  139. Joe in St. Louis

The Brothers Grimm

May 14, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
  140. Michael H. in Albuquerque, NM

She reads every dollar she grabs. When I saw you were planning another Palin comment I grabbed my favorites piece of literature, TV Guide. And, changed the channel.

May 14, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
  141. Willis Lambertson

Ernest Callenbach's Ecotopia

May 14, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
  142. Marsha Black

I think Sarah Palin's favorite literature is Superman comic books. She is "faster than a speeding bullet" at throwing out lies about the president and Congress; "more powerful than a locomotive" at using tea bags to build roads and bridges to nowhere; and, "able to leap tall buildings at a single bound" to hunt unsuspecting animals from the air.

May 14, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
  143. Led

The Awakening by Kate Chopin. I'm sure she'll love the ending and the irony.

May 14, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
  144. Bernie of Lowell, MA

Any story that will fit on the palm of her hand.

May 14, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
  145. Chuck

I'd say her favorite literature is probably the comics, if indeed she does read any newspaper.

May 14, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
  146. Lori

Let's see, there's the Pledge of Allegiance, the lyrics to "The Star Spangled Banner," and maybe some photos of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Ronald Reagan so her readers don't get bored with all those words. Also, "stop playing us all for rubes?" Jack, without the rubes, Sarah Palin would have no fans at all.

May 14, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
  147. Kathryn from San Francisco

Judith Krantz, Danielle Steele, you know, all the quality chick lit

May 14, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
  148. Freakkenstarr

Well I guess "Playboy".. According to Palin she reads everything but would not name it.. So it should be Playboy or Pornbooks with no text in them...

May 14, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
  149. Mark from Boston

Guns & Ammo would be my first guess.

Either that or the bubble gum wrappers from the cracker jack box, you betcha!

May 14, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  150. None

"How to leave your job midway"
    and
    "How to make money bashing other people"
    and
    "How to ignore your children"

May 14, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  151. thomas

Jack - I think Palin's favorite literature has to be anything that's ghost written. That way, she she can claim she "ghost read" it. Faux Shakespeare, anyone? Thom in Littleton, CO

May 14, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  152. C French

Favorite book?? "Politics for Dummies"

Frederick, MD

May 14, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  153. Michael Johnson

"Now we are being asked to believe that a woman who couldn't name a newspaper she read"

I would think a smart guy like you could tell the difference between "couldn't" and wouldn't. You can tell the difference, can't you Jack?

May 14, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  154. katy Heys

Notes on her hand. That's what she reads.

May 14, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  155. George Kleine

Archie and Veronica Comics

They are a little above her reading level, but as simple as her thinking.

May 14, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  156. C

That's simple, Jack - ANYTHING that refers to Sarah Palin, Sarah's views [such as from her house], Sarah's opinions, Sarah's positions [?] . . .

Please do us all a favor and help us to help her from her obvious addiction to all things Sarah - drop her.

Scottsdale, AZ

May 14, 2010 at 6:08 pm |
  157. Bob Martino

Sarah Palin is playing the Tea Baggers and other right wing extremists for the fools most seem to be. The more nonsense she spouts, the more they scream and yell their approval. They think she is saying important things, she walks away with tons of their money. It's a sweetheart deal all the way around. Obviously there is still a market for snake oil even in this day and age. Amazing.

Fort Collins, CO

May 14, 2010 at 6:08 pm |
  158. gandoman

Palin's list of reading material:
    1. Arctic Nights – Publishes adult stories of beaver, moose & grizzley bears making love under the stars, in caves, behind rocks, etc.
    2. Women Truckers – article; How to put a timing switch on the heater of your daughter's boyfriend's truck so they can't 'do the igloo' on the front seat at night.
    NOTE: 'do the igloo' is teenage Alaskan slang for 'getting it on' outside the home where the wildebeasts roam.
    3. White Man's Real Estate – A magazine devoted to quasi-legal methods of stealing land from the indigenous population.
    4. AA Weekly – The Alaskan Alcoholic's Bible in words & diagrams showing for example; How to build a campfire using dirty socks & grain alcohol; figuring out the ballot even if you can't spell it; Electing a new Governor Puzzle – complete with crayons;

May 14, 2010 at 6:08 pm |
  159. craig petersen

heres a question for BP. How many barrels were they pumping pryor to the accident ? that would be the number (ballpark) that was spilling.

May 14, 2010 at 6:08 pm |
  160. Jeff

Heather Has Two Mommies

May 14, 2010 at 6:08 pm |
  161. paul

I didn't think there was such a beast, a book with only two or three letter words, a couple of pages long, and lots of pictures. Hold that thought, of course there is, Bush's Book of Live Achievements - 'nil, nil, nil.'

May 14, 2010 at 6:08 pm |
  162. Nancy M., Tennessee

I am not a fan of Palin's. She probably reads the funny papers out of the Sunday paper. That's as close to reading a newspaper as she probably gets. She reminds me of the kid in the class who always wants attention. I want to tell her to just go sit down – recess is not for another 45 minutes.

May 14, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  163. Dom

Where's Waldo...no words to confuse her

May 14, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  164. Derek

The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama

May 14, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  165. Michael Roepke - Dallas

Sarah on literature? What next?
    Donald Trump on the vow of poverty?
    Hugh Hefner on celibacy?
    Jack Cafferty on Tact?
    And people will buy it?
    P.T. Barnum was right.

May 14, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  166. Ann Katholi

The Call of the Wild by Jack London

Only about 150 years out of date!

May 14, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  167. Joe cnn

Well Jack when I was visiting her last week she was getting the biggest kick out of a book called (A wake-up call) it was as if Sarah was reading the funny papers, all she could do was laugh and i bet you wish you were there. Ah Ah Anchorage Alaska

May 14, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  168. Benjamin Parish, South Central Pennsylvania

Sarah is irrelevant. I do not really care where she gets her information because her supports have joined the Tea Party.
    Also, I would just like to say real quick that the Tea Party is not Sarah Palin's nor any other neo-con Republican or Democrat... it is Dr. Ron Paul's movement. We will gladly take their supporters though. You reading this right now can join the movement also.
    We appreciate it.

May 14, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  169. Linda Brockman

Her favorite literature is anything about her.

May 14, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  170. Bernie of Lowell, MA

Anything mommie or daddy will read to her at bedtime.

May 14, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  171. Rick Gibson

Love in the Time of Cholera
    Wuthering Heights
    100 Years of Solitude
    Brideshead Revisited.

Oh, sorry I thought you said, Michael Palin.

May 14, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  172. Ted

Choose your own adventure books. "To enter the room turn to page 118. To continue down the hallway turn to page 85".

Either that or anything that's on tape.

May 14, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  173. Squigman

Dont care what she reads, or colors. Dont care what she believes in, or what she says to the press. Do know that she is a shameless opportunist with motives for power, and money. Do know that if she looked like Janet Reno, ( who is an upstanding person, with intelligence and personallity ), she'd more than likely be laughed off any stage she stood upon. Face it, she's where she's at because of her looks. What the nation dosen't need is another corn-fed cutie. We've had all them we can tolerate.

May 14, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  174. Gary - Woodhaven, Michigan

What utterly fascinates me is how over a third of a country would follow the intellectual likes of a person who last read the Dick and Jane trilogy, and whose favorite prose has to have the word Nantucket in it.

God help us.

May 14, 2010 at 6:11 pm |
  175. Felix Odigie

Probably catoon literature that shows world map; unfortunately, she did not even know that Africa is a continent. She thought that Africa was a state in South Africa. That Sarah Palin is becoming one of the most popular and influencial persons in that great country is a disgrace to America. I sincerely believe that are countless decent, educated, sound and well-informed individuals in America than those crack addits Glen Beck, Limbuagh and Sarah

May 14, 2010 at 6:11 pm |
  176. Brenda

Dr. Seuss!!!

May 14, 2010 at 6:11 pm |
  177. Sharon Grindstaff

Garfield? Green Eggs and Ham? The Nantucket poem? Obviously a varied and extensive variety of literary choices. I'd add The Simpsons but that's visual. Besides, you'd have to have a bit of intelligence and a sense of humor .... Wait! I take that back. She DOES have a sense of humor. She ran for VP, right?

May 14, 2010 at 6:11 pm |
  178. Rod from Canada

Hi Jack,

Based on the current extent of her knowledge and her political aspirations, I'm betting on "If I Ran the Zoo", by Dr. Seuss, of course!

May 14, 2010 at 6:11 pm |
  179. james livingston

Ms. Palin is probably very nice, and presents a good image. As far as public office I think she should stick to fishing. Must hand it to her, she has managed to become weathy by simply showing up, while most regular folks have to work for it. Her favorite literature is probably her bank book.

May 14, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
  180. brian colorado

Not that I care about what Sara Palin reads but if I had to guess it would probably be Huckelberry Finn. She comes off as having the intelect of a bottom feeding carp swimming in the muddy waters of the Miss. But you can't see Russia from Miss.
    Jack lets talk about something more important to the world as a whole like how long does it take for a gallon of paint to dry up if you leave the lid off.

May 14, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
  181. Bruce Thatchedr

I'm thinking along the lines of Captain Underpants. While I consider myself a conservative, I think Dr. Suess may be too advanced for her. Maybe she and George Dubya could get together and have a read-a-thon.

May 14, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
  182. Martin

She probably, IF SHE REALLY CAN READ, drools over the advertisements for animal field stripping equipment in Field and Stream. Her lack of intellectual prowess is evident.

May 14, 2010 at 6:13 pm |
  183. Gary

Here's a couple of her favorites

" How to Lie, Lie , Lie." By Rudy Giualliani

" How to screw people out of their money." By the CEO of Goldmen Sacs.

" How to travel for free." by Mark Sanford.

" How to Pimp Out my Children." by OctoMom

" My Education." by Miss South Carolina

" Why Guns are Good." By Lee Harvey Oswald and John Wilkes Boothe.

" The US Constitution" as read by John Boener.

"You were our hero, but know were gonna screw you." by Mark Rubio and the RNC

" I'm Not a Token, and Stop Saying That." by Michael Steele

and numerous comic books

May 14, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
  184. Yes

Betty and Veronica comic books

May 14, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  185. dk (Seattle)

She has read many books... She just quits before finishing any of them.

May 14, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  186. Ryan

Rush Limbagh's talk radio- that counts at literature, yea you betcha!

May 14, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  187. Rumsfeld

See Spot Run.

I love you Jack...you are the man! Keep up the good work.
    DC in So. Dak.

May 14, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  188. Canada

Connect the Dots

May 14, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  189. Geo

Tough one...Marmaduke?

May 14, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  190. Peggy

What was the name of the first book she had someone else write for her?
    The one she ran all over the country signing for fans that were swooning in her wake.
    Well, whatever the name of that one is, that is her favorite...it was very profitable for her.
    Do you think she read it Jack? Just wonderin'!!!

May 14, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  191. Angel Oregon

I don't believe she really reads the news, Jack. She merely watches it.

May 14, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  192. Mikael Rosen

Mrs. Palin's favorite "literature" must be something with large color pictures, and vivid one line descriptions. Possibly such literary classics as: Clifford the Big Red Dog. I have to believe that she loves any form of literature where someone completely incapable succeeds in ruining their partners chance for success. For some reason I think she would connect with that.

San Diego, CA

May 14, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  193. FGUZMAN

The kind of books with pictures in them..

May 14, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  194. steve

No doubt. Has to be MAD MAGAZINE.

195. Joe, Corvallis, OR

Pop-up books.

196. Harlan Robins

Dilbert. Plain and simple.

197. Mary Ketcham

I don't think Sarah's level of literacy would allow for much reading more advanced than the Nancy Drew series, but maybe that is a little racy for her.....so I'll scale back to the Bobsy Twins. And poetry? Well, I hope she has a very creative editor.

Mary Ketcham
    Charlottesville, VA

198. Stephanie

Sarah Palin's favorite literature is probably that of the Dr. Seuss variety.

199. Ted

"Aw shucks, Sally, Dick and Jane, howz that workin' out for ya?"

200. Michael VH

I'm not sure if she's read "Faust", but she should put that one on her list.

201. Teri

I think her favorite reading material is the Sunday comics, it's written in a format she can best understand

202. JMBarrett, Rhode Island

What is Sarah Palin's favorite literature? Anything with a Hallmark crown.

203. barbara in NC

I know she wrote the bumper sticker -

"You're jealous because the voices only talk to me".

Don't have a clue that she is able to read. But something made her terribly terribly paranoid.

204. Orville

Animal Farm

205. R.J. Johnson

Hey Jack, why are you still so threatened by Sarah Palin? She's in your head and these silly attacks are pathetic. I'll bet Joe Biden is big on literature and poetry, too. Right.

206. Drew Da Vinci

Notes written on her hand from her father

207. Janet Conant

Cracked or Mad...you pick.

208. Joanne

Jack it's the Bible, hands down.