May 10th, 2010

What services are you worried your state will cut?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Coming soon to a state near you: Painful spending cuts.

A piece on CNNMoney.com suggests that although states have been struggling with huge budget gaps since 2008, federal stimulus funds have helped them avoid making some tough cuts.

But this year those federal dollars will be drying up - and the cuts ahead could be brutal: Think education and health programs, like Medicaid.

You see, states are required to balance their budgets; and for the past couple years, they've been getting help from the stimulus package.

To make matters worse, many states have already slashed services and used up their rainy day funds to balance their budgets.

As for money coming in, there are estimates that income tax revenue from this past April is likely to drop - a lot.

States are hoping Congress will renew some of the stimulus provisions - especially increased funding for Medicaid.

Without that federal money - states will be hurting. Big time.

For example, Pennsylvania would have to slash half its funding for domestic violence and rape crisis services, cut 25 percent from the budget for child welfare services, and reduce payments to hospitals, doctors and nursing homes.

As for education, 275,000 jobs could be eliminated nationwide due to budget cuts - which would pretty much wipe out the approximately 300,000 jobs saved by the stimulus bill.

Here in New York state - as many as 15,000 teachers could lose their jobs.

Here’s my question to you: What services are you worried your state will cut?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Scott in Freeport, Illinois writes:
Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, teachers. Anything that's doesn't affect the political cronies' paychecks!

Mark in New Jersey writes:
I am worried that they will fire the teachers rather than the useless administrators. I am worried that they will lay off police officers... Really, I am afraid they will have to review services we need, rather than the ones we have built up over the years with full medical plans and extortion-like pensions.

Mike writes:
I'm not worried what they will cut. I'm worried they won't cut enough. As long as my road gets plowed, a fire in my house gets put out, and the police come when I call 9-1-1, they can cut everything else.

Steve in Virginia Beach writes:
I'm not worried. We fired the tax-and-spend clowns in the last election and threw their out-of-control-spending budget in the trash can along with their 17% income tax increase. Our budget is now balanced with only modest cuts in many areas and many incentives for companies to increase our tax revenues through job creation.

Rob in North Carolina writes:
I teach in a North Carolina county that is cutting over 100 teaching jobs and half a million dollars for teacher’s assistants. This does not include the other 99 counties.

Joe writes:
Instead of cutting teachers, fire fighters, and police, let's first cut the governors staff, legislative staff, and administrative expense accounts. That's where an honest politician would start.

Jeff in Houston writes:
Education. They will always cut education. In Texas, Bubba got have his football, his pick-up, his beer, but he don't need to know how to read. Our esteemed governor has done a good job at making sure Texas children stay uneducated and obedient to Republican authority. And oh yeah, we will likely cut some of the benefits for those annoying sick kids and disabled people.

Filed under: Budget cuts
  1. Russ in PA

Cut them all, and let everyone experience the absurdity of government promising something for nothing... Of course, we need fewer politicians as well, so cut their spending and staff also. Cut it all!

May 10, 2010 at 1:09 pm |
  2. Hugo Kijne, Hoboken NJ

Workforce development services (including literacy education) for the economically disadvantaged. Some people might think we cannot afford these services, but the truth is, we cannot afford to cut them.

May 10, 2010 at 1:14 pm |
  3. Dee

I really do not specifically "worry" about the state cutting services. I would be unhappy if the state cut funding to LOCAL services, as the local services are those I use the most (police, fire, emergency medical) . Even things like the highway systems are not really funded on a state level, but are usually funded by county or other districts. State funding loss would affect these programs.

But the one service that depends so much on state funds, that I am very concerned about cuts being done, is education. And actually I am concerned about the educations system as a whole. I think we will ultimately learn that cuts in education (along with the basic sorry state of our schools) will hurt this country more than any other single thing.

May 10, 2010 at 1:16 pm |
  4. JENNA

What services are you worried your state will cut?

Home care aides to the elderly and subsidized day care for underpaid workers.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

May 10, 2010 at 1:22 pm |
  5. Kevin in Dallas

Education and law enforcement cuts would be a bad idea, because they would have a long lasting impact for the state. Everything else would be fairly short term, and fair game in my opinion.

May 10, 2010 at 1:23 pm |
  6. David Bebeau,Springfield Missouri

Jack
    I think we'll be ok here in Missouri.In Springfield where I live we do
    a clean budget.We take all the cuts up front each year so I am very lucky to live in a very well managed city.
    David

May 10, 2010 at 1:31 pm |
  7. Dave, Brooklyn, NY

With the local governments putting a gun to everyone’s heads with a second round of massive tax increases (in spite of falling home values), traffic cops out for blood and extra fees and add on’s tacked on to all the services they don’t provide anyway, allowing them to rake in tons of money from an increasingly impoverished populace that doesn’t have the ability to vote extra income anytime they want or anytime they screw up, I don’t see where they can cut – but I’m sure they will find something. For all the extra revenue they are amassing, you’d think they would be paving the streets with gold, or at least filling the potholes and repairing the rest of the infrastructure, but instead, we get a steady stream of poor mouthing from all levels of government. The time for a revolt against these slobs draws nigh.

May 10, 2010 at 1:46 pm |
  8. CRAIG R. MCNEES

tampa, fl oh, i would hate to see our politicians lose their health coverage and have to sit in the emergency rooms for most of a day like me. and i would hate to see their bonuses cut and for them not to be able to buy that 7th or 8th home. and their perks like free air travel for them and their families, they might have to teleconference work instead and have to stay at home with their families. and don't forget their extremely bloated salaries, if those get a reality cut they might have to start cutting coupons, like me. i guess i really have nothing to worry about, like any of this would really happen.

May 10, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
  9. Ed from Texas

I'm worried they'll will have to cut back on Governor's Perry's stand-up comedy routine. First, he says we wants secede from the Union while taking federal money, then he said the oil spill in the Gulf was an act of God. He's been a good source of laughs during these dark times.

Ed
    Laughing Stock, Texas

May 10, 2010 at 2:12 pm |
  10. Byron, Atlanta

Other than roads, I don't get any services from the state.

From the city, I get police and fire protection, the health department, and the building department.

If the city and state cut all other services, I probably wouldn't notice.

Unless they decided to give me a refund on my taxes for all the services they DID cut🙂.

May 10, 2010 at 2:16 pm |
  11. Eugene from California

Out here in California they don't cut much Jack but education, law enfircement and fire protection will take the usual hits. How about a cut in pay for our pandering congress.

May 10, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
  12. Ed from California

I wish the "services" that my great legislative body serve not be cut.....not!

May 10, 2010 at 2:32 pm |
  13. Smith in Oregon

Generally mental health services are among the first to be cut. Shelters and help for the homeless closely follows. I'm also concerned that the Republican led States will push to shut-down their health and job safety inspections and shut the doors on hearing employer workplace abuses. Thankfully Oregon is not a Republican led State and we value workers rights here.

May 10, 2010 at 2:33 pm |
  14. Curtis

Education! The university system is always the first to have their budget drop. Every person pays enough taxes to get an affordable education.

May 10, 2010 at 2:36 pm |
  15. Alex Williams

I'm personally worried that my state, the state of California, will further cut into education in order to, once again, band-aid its budget-related issues. I am a college student and I have personally felt the effects that cuts to education within the annual budget have had so far. I can't get into the classes I need, tuition keeps going up, and time that I should be spending in class is being spent outside of class because of mandatory unpaid faculty furloughs. When will California's legislature stop making education a scapegoat, finally wake up, and realize the problem: THERE IS NOT ENOUGH REVENUE! The people in the capital that supposedly represent us need to stop playing politics and make the necessary decisions (raise taxes) in order to fund education, which is responsible for the future of this state and this country.

– Alex
    Sacramento

May 10, 2010 at 2:39 pm |
  16. Jane (Minnesota)

Jack, it doesn't do any good to worry about it. I live in Tim "No Tax Increases" Pawlenty's state (Minnesota).

He's managed to make a mess of the entire state fiances in his 2 terms. He wouldn't even consider increasing the gas tax which is a direct usage tax until the I-35W bridge collapsed.

If revenue doesn't increase in Minnesota – spending has to decrease. (by the way my property taxes have close to doubled since the governor took office. How's tax doing for no tax increases!

May 10, 2010 at 2:39 pm |
  17. Tom, Avon, Me, The Heart of Democracy

Education, which would be as foolish as eating seed corn..

May 10, 2010 at 2:46 pm |
  18. Andrew Messenger

I think the biggest areas of concern for the state of Texas are in the areas of transportation and education:

– Looks like some of the publicly funded universities are freezing salaries and maintaining hiring freezes.
    – Looks like the department of transportation is attempting to cut $20 million for the year.

One article mentions we are running at a $1 billion deficit. To my knowledge, in comparison to other states, this is actually not that bad.

- A. Messenger

May 10, 2010 at 2:46 pm |
  19. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

First, it doesn't pay to worry. We have a lot of waste in Texas that could be cut, like giving State Troopers that don't even patrol the highways a car to drive back and forth to work even if it's 60 miles a day.

May 10, 2010 at 2:49 pm |
  20. Harold in Anchorage

Not a problem here, Jack. Most of our governors have been into : "spend baby, spend."

May 10, 2010 at 2:51 pm |
  21. Randy from Salt Lake City

I'm afraid they'll cut education, which is where my paycheck comes from. If they do, I guess I'll have to learn something different. Like how to riot.

May 10, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
  22. Ryan in Galesburg, IL

Jack, I live in Illinois, where the new budget drastically cuts social services and mental health in favor of increasing prison funding, where the chronically mentally ill will ultimately end up without treatment. If this is how we fulfill our social contract, I would say it's breached.

May 10, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
  23. Joe Ft Walton Bch Fl

As far as I am concern, they cut my Medicaid. No big reason was given. I thought under that health care reform bill, Medicaid, Medicare will be untouch. I guess the uninsuranble, Medicare, and Medicaid recipients will be very touched.

May 10, 2010 at 2:54 pm |
  24. southerncousin

I would like to see them cut all ties and affiliations with the corrupt, money grubbing, slimy unions like the SEIU, NEA, and AFSCME and get real about state employee pay & benefits. They also need to come up with disincentives for state legislators to meet so often for the purpose of passing budget busting bills, laws and regulations. They can turn off air conditioners and cut per diems for all state legislators and state employees. Save energy and our money.

May 10, 2010 at 2:56 pm |
  25. Allen in Hartwell GA

I don't know if it is a service or not, but I'd hate to see the school budgets cut enough to affect the quality of education of our young. As far as I'm concerned the state(s) can cut funds for all extracurricular activites and nice-to-have classes if necessary, but keep what's required for the 3 R's.

May 10, 2010 at 3:01 pm |
  26. bonnie from nj

Actually Jack, I live in NJ and we are broke and in debt way over our heads. I am more worried about what the state isn't going to cut, such as the state payroll and benefit programs. Although our new governor is a little too conservative for me, I am hoping he has more courage than Corzine to cut the budget and if he did I would be willing to put in a few more dollars out of my paycheck to help balance the budget.

May 10, 2010 at 3:04 pm |
  27. Ed Fazio, AZ

Not Worried About Any Service Being Cut Jack. My Worry is That They Will Play Politics as Usual & Not Make the Cuts Necessary. First Cuts Should be to State Employees Salaries & Benefits. Second Cuts Should be to Eliminate State Employee Positions. Third Cuts Should be to the Vast Group of Workers Who Work for the State But are Not Actually Listed as State Employees. Then We Can Look at Programs for Cuts. Perhaps My Order of Cuts is in Error, But the People Costing Us the Most are State Employees of One Kind or Another. Cut Them. !!!

May 10, 2010 at 3:12 pm |
  28. Bizz Quarryville, Pennsylvania

Jack right at this moment I'm not aware of any state service that I benefit from other then discount for senior citizens fishing and hunting license. I imagine there are some people who are worried about fuel oil assistance for the winter. My parents survived through some of the harshest winters during the great depression. Without any services from state or Federal gov't. My dad used to tell me it was rough times back in the great depression. But then you had tough people who knew how to survive. You did what you had to do to survive without complaining about it.

May 10, 2010 at 3:14 pm |
  29. John from Alabama

Jack: Over the next 2 years Alabama will lose 3000 classroom teachers which will bring larger numbers per classroom. The aid to senior citizens received from the state will be cut by 40%. Plus the state attorney general will fight health care reform, because it will only help the poor who need help. This nation use to sacrifice for the less forunate, but today the motto is I've got mine the hell with you.

May 10, 2010 at 3:23 pm |
  30. Kevin of San Diego

The only things I want to make sure are covered are infrastructure maintenance, police and fire. It is self evident that our parks and environment are no longer of any interest even to the environmental activists whom promote Mexicans over populating of our country! Our schools teach nothing but socialism now. It is time to put confronting courses into the classrooms to teach both the victims and the bullies to be responsible for their own lives.
    A friend of mine told me today that it would be a good idea to quit funding public schools altogether since the children are only being taught socialist rhetoric; and instead give the children and the teachers and administrators each a shoe shine box so that they have a chance at learning what it takes to earn a living to pay the for the taxes that they are wasting.

May 10, 2010 at 3:30 pm |
  31. Cheryl in Bluffton, SC

Jack, i live in a red state that's near the top in unemployment and near the bottom in education. The redneck brain trust around here seems to think the answer is to cut education funding even further. God help us if they manage to do so.

May 10, 2010 at 3:31 pm |
  32. Ed

Yeah I am worried that State Cuts will lead to a double dip recession. The economy started turning around once we had some more stabability to the state economies, but when people start talking about cutting jobs for teachers, and police, I am afraid that panic will set in again.

May 10, 2010 at 3:31 pm |
  33. Jerry Jacksonville, Fl.

My biggest worry is that they won't cut the worthless programs for their buddies that get fat and rich off the people in the state, it's a damn shame how members of congress don't mind spending the taxpayers money to help their buddies who contribute to their re-election campaigns. The United States is getting in one sorry state of affairs and the only way to solve the problem is to vote out members of congress after they serve a maximum of two terms.

May 10, 2010 at 3:34 pm |
  34. Elmahdi Oummih

I look forward to the idea of the Police Department being cut dramatically. I also like the idea of cutting from the Fire Department and EMS. While they are at it, they should cut from the bloated Salaries of City council members and Sanitation workers. The less employment offered by the state, the better. The only organization that is more wasteful than the state is the Federal govt.

Lets bring back the constitution.

May 10, 2010 at 3:35 pm |
  35. Arlene, Illinois

As a senior on a fixed income they want to cut the free rides
    for seniors on public transportation if you make over $40,000
    a year, please tell me who makes that much on Social Security,
    I'd like to marry him.

May 10, 2010 at 3:36 pm |
  36. Jack

not wooried they need to just cut.
    But Gov. Rendell doesn't want to lay-off state people
    (weep) just raise taxes to pay them

May 10, 2010 at 3:50 pm |
  37. Bill in TX

Jack,

As Greece will learn when there is no cash in the treasury and the credit is all gone – all the spending ends.

Same for our states. When the cash is gone and there is no more credit all spending ends.

Every service is at risk with the exception of legislative salaries and benefits. They will be able to increase these personal payments to themselves.

May 10, 2010 at 3:51 pm |
  38. Phil in Port St Lucie, Florida

Jack, I'm not sure that any "services" could be cut here in Florida, remember this State is run by Republicans. And since I'm not weathy or a corporation, I only see State Troopers giving tickets and highway maintenance performed by illegals.

May 10, 2010 at 3:52 pm |
  39. Lori - PA

jack,

I worry about cuts to education.

May 10, 2010 at 3:57 pm |
  40. Paul Austin, Texas

Services for the Elderly and Handicaped and Law Enforcement Services. Services shoud only be cut due to a lack of need.

May 10, 2010 at 4:01 pm |
  41. Joe Hanson

Jack,

The democrats in Minnesota plan to raise taxes because they're unwilling to reduce spending, so I don't expect cuts.

Joe Hanson
    Minneapolis, MN

May 10, 2010 at 4:01 pm |
  42. Marlene

Because lots of cities and towns depend on state funds for their own budgets, I fear public safety services will be cut. Marlene in Mich

May 10, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
  43. Sunshine

Jack, the services that should be cut are medical, dental, welfare, educational benefits to illegals. In Arizona alone, they would save over $2billion. And, if they would cut all these benefits, perhaps they would go home.

May 10, 2010 at 4:04 pm |
  44. Michael, Alexandria, VA

Education and eFiling for income tax payers.

May 10, 2010 at 4:06 pm |
  45. Joe CE

Education although it looks as though this will be minimal. Many staes could improve their budget outlook by eliminating services to illegals.

May 10, 2010 at 4:09 pm |
  46. ron

Pennsylvania State Operated Liquor Stores. They are effecient, controlled, uncorrupted, profitable and are pretty safe in my opinion.

May 10, 2010 at 4:09 pm |
  47. Mel from Carlisle, PA

I would hate to see any services for babies and children cut because our children are the future!

May 10, 2010 at 4:10 pm |
  48. Tina

Libraries and pools. The kids need places to go. Cut the mayor's salary and the governor's too high salary

May 10, 2010 at 4:11 pm |
  49. Jim in Alabama

Education, Highway maintenance and projects. Alabama has a long history of education proration, crappy highways, and little progressive thinking. They also are one of the few states to tax groceries, meds, etc., while the legislature gives itself raises regularly. A group of people with no conscience and no guts.

May 10, 2010 at 4:14 pm |
  50. Gregory Tripp, Mechanicsburg, PA

Education cuts are my biggest concern. Education is the key to our future. It is an investment far greater in importance than building bridges or highways. We need to tighten our collective belt in regard to executive compensation, junkets and no-bid contracts and instead invest much more in the education of our youth if we are to hope to be competitive in the global market.

May 10, 2010 at 4:15 pm |
  51. Rich McKinney, Texas

I think Texas is pretty safe from cuts in services this year. We do not have a state tax like many other states. We do have sales tax and property taxes but those are mostly maxed out in most areas. We are one of the few states with actual job growth despite the recession. What remains to be seen in the coming years though is how hard Texas will be hit by Health Care reform if and when that happens in 2014.

May 10, 2010 at 4:15 pm |
  52. katiec

Our state of Illinois has already cut several programs, drastically lowered funding for much needed projects, yet, refuse to reduce their fleet of planes that chauffer our politicians around. And, have heard nothing about their staff, etc being cut.
    They are slashing funding for schools resulting in many teachers being laid off, have discontinued programs for the less fortunate
    and are trying to determine where to increase or add taxes. They have practically bankrupted our state with their past spending, but, like the republicans, refuse to acknowledge or admit their irresponsible actions.

May 10, 2010 at 4:15 pm |
  53. Jeff M.

Jack,
    We are constantly worried about what our state will cut in medicaid.My wife acquired HIV/AIDS from a blood transfusion in the 1980's.She is not a drug addict nor a prostiute and never was as so many women who have it are.When her ex-husband found out he played a dirty trick on her to get custody of the children.She did not ask for this nor does she deserve it.Medicaid is the only way we can get her drugs for her to stay alive.
    Jeff M. Largo,FL

May 10, 2010 at 4:23 pm |
  54. Larry,Springfield,Ohio

Jack,The police and Fire Depts. are the ones I worry most about,other than that I'm afraid not enough will get cut!

May 10, 2010 at 4:26 pm |
  55. Jeff in E. Lyme, CT

It doesn't matter Jack, I live east of the Connecticut River in CT. If you live in Connecticut but don't live in Fairfield or Litchfield Counties, you don't exist. Just ask Linda McMahon's "More Free Money For Rich People At The Expense of the Middle Class" campaign. Quiz any one of her staff on Eastern CT's geography or demographics and you'll get it. We'll have to settle for Blumenthal. He too doesn't know we exist, but he's a fair guy.

May 10, 2010 at 4:27 pm |
  56. Jim Z..Ft. Worth...Texas

Jack, my least concern is if they cut the heads off of the snakes of the right wingers who supported the eight-year war causing all the consternation of the created vile atmosphere throughout the world, the main cause of recent terrorist attacks in the U.S. and abroad.

May 10, 2010 at 4:33 pm |
  57. Jeff in Houston

Education. They will always cut education. In Texas, Bubba got have his football, his pick-up, his beer, but he don't need to know how to read. Our esteemed Governor has done a good job at making sure Texas children stay uneduacated and obedient to Republican authority.

Welcome to Texas Jack.

May 10, 2010 at 4:34 pm |
  58. Craig in Houston

This is Texas, so if anything gets cut, I'm sure it will be services to the poor. Everyone here wants tax-cuts, but when it comes to spending cuts, they recoil in horror. We saw this with Obama's NASA cuts. So, I'm sure anything that is ultimately cut will involve groups with little, or no voice like the poor.

May 10, 2010 at 4:39 pm |
  59. Ann from Charleston SC

Seems to me the good ol' boys here in South Carolina have already done a pretty good job of cutting just about everything. Politics in this state totally baffles me.

May 10, 2010 at 4:41 pm |
  60. Dennis north Carolina

police and schools all other areas can be cut plus pay reductions for all government jobs including elected office holders.

May 10, 2010 at 4:42 pm |
  61. Rob in NC

I teach in a NC county that is cutting over 100 teaching jobs and $1/2 million for teacher assistants. This does not include the other 99 counties. This also doesn't include the other state employees losing their jobs. Glad to see the gov't. is serious about the education and safety of its people. Rob in NC

May 10, 2010 at 4:47 pm |
  62. Michael Lorton, Virginia

Jack: Worry is just interest on trouble that hasn't happen yet--when my state cuts the services--then I will worry!

May 10, 2010 at 4:49 pm |
  63. IKHAN

Hi Jack,
    I could name any number of services,
    fire fighting,law enforcement,schooling,social welfare. You see this happening all across the country.
    Pray tell me where our tax dollars are going?

May 10, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
  64. Meg from Troy

Jack–
    Healthcare and education are at the top of my list. Both are necessary for a growing and healthy economy and society. Already here in Ohio, school districts are in deep trouble financially from depending totally on taxes paid by homeowners. The poorest among us, especially the children, will be the first to lose Medicaid benefits–those who need it the most. I think this could be the real recession.

May 10, 2010 at 4:56 pm |
  65. Michael in Phoenix

I am not really worried about them cutting services. What I am worried about is what services they think we should keep.

May 10, 2010 at 4:56 pm |
  66. Alex in Gig Harbor, WA

I am not personally affected, but cuts to education are short-sighted in the long run. How can we be economically competitive without a good educational system?

May 10, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
  67. adem, oakland califiornia

I thought we are in recovery?! Didn’t we go through painful cuts already?

May 10, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
  68. Judie Wm's El Lago,TX

Good aft. Jack:

I am JUST as concerned with cuts to education, safety, etc., as I am

that NO cuts (or very few) will be eliminated for illegals. If there is a starting point, why not begin with non citizens ?

May 10, 2010 at 5:02 pm |
  69. honest john in vermont

I got laid off at my job last week so I am worried they will cut unemployment before I even get a check. Need any help Jack?

May 10, 2010 at 5:02 pm |
  70. Greg H - Minneapolis

Jack, for me it's not what services will be cut. It is what will NOT be cut, namely the size of the legislature. We do not need 2 houses of government, Nebraska is doing fine with just 1. There are too many government employees at all levels of government, and they are no doubt going to be the LAST to be cut, instead of the FIRST!!

May 10, 2010 at 5:05 pm |
  71. Gary H. Boyd

Jack, here are just a few: Photo surveillance of roads. Rest stops on highways. Timely road maintenance. Free meals for jail inmates.
    Lax immigration enforcement. Oh, I'm sorry Jack. This is Arizona and all of these things have already been eliminated. I guess that puts us ahead of the curve.

Gary in Arizona

May 10, 2010 at 5:06 pm |
  72. DON IN WESTPORT,MA.

I can't believe it. I can't think of one that will make my life more miserable, but then again I make 1.2 million dollars a year.
    The rich get richer the poor get poorer. It don't affect me.
    Thanks for the tax cuts, my Goverment friends in Washington.

Just kidding. I wanted to see what it felt like to be one of those rich
    uncaring people who do not even blink an eye at a question like this.

May 10, 2010 at 5:07 pm |
  73. Jester from Davis

I'm worried that the current financial mess will cause more cuts for education. I'd hate to see another nationwide strike like the one that happened in March. As a freshman in college, I always worry about how the budget deficit here in California is going to affect my tuition for the next few years, especially since California is notorious for being late when it comes to balancing its budget the last few years. I have this question I'd like to ask: "Why is that if I'm late to class, it might affect my education, and it would be my fault, but when the politicians who balance the budget are late, my education is still affected regardless of how responsible I am?" Something doesn't add up here. I think they should all go back to the drawing board and redo the math. As always, good Job, Jack. Keep up the good work!

May 10, 2010 at 5:09 pm |
  74. Angie

I live in California. Since Arnold "I'll be back" governator has been governor we have had money taken out of Education twice that I know of to balance the state budget. We have had teachers salary cut and frozen then cut and frozen again. We have had cuts in Police and emergency services. We have had cuts in several different programs and programs that were cut. Are we prepared for more? I'm surprise we had any left.

May 10, 2010 at 5:09 pm |
  75. Mike in St. Paul

i wish they would cut all spending for one month; no fire departments, no police, no schools, no water, road or other infrastructure spending, no courts, trials, parole hearings or garbage pick up, no animal control, no DMV, no parking enforcement and no snowplowing or street sweeping. After 30 days the goverment will have saved a fortune and hopefully people will stop whining and will think that living in the absolute government-free lifestyle of a Mogadishan isn't all it's cracked up to be.

May 10, 2010 at 5:12 pm |
  76. Andrey D

Writing from the great/not-so-great/disaster State of California (depending on who you talk to) and near Los Angeles.

Anyhow, it's not looking good for California to begin with. We're already 20 billion at least in the hole at the state level and a large chunk of stimulus funds for education were outright missed because we didn't have a proper plan to use it ready yet.

Most likely we're going to see more cuts in education (I love it how legislators decry the declining values and education standards of our kids, but education is often the first program on the chopping block).

City services here in LA are already getting chopped and I can only see them getting chopped more. Things like phone operators for the courts are gone, and utilities fees are slowly but surely climbing up to plug holes in their funds.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised that we'll see more services cuts and higher taxes to come with them, we're probably also going to see another budget crisis we had last summer, where the state had to issue registered warrants (basically IOUs) for several months because they literally couldn't agree on an operating budget in the legislature and therefore couldn't spend anything...

Ugh, not looking forward to it to be honest.

May 10, 2010 at 5:12 pm |
  77. Jeff In Minnesota

It's unfortunate that people will lose their government jobs as a result of funding cuts. All services will likely suffer one way or another. However, such is the roller coaster ride of feast to famine that we all face when the bottom drops out of the economy. It's just that cuts for state and local governments are just catching up. Unfortunately, the housing bubble catches education the worst since most school budgets are paid through property tax rolls which are now a shambles as property valuations have dropped like a rock. That said, educators have to walk a fine line. Yes, educators need to be paid a fair wage given their responsibilities. However, there is an impression that we could put everything we pay in taxes towards education and it would not be enough. Educators need to become more savvy in how they spend our money to educate children. There also has to be some way to measure success rates in education. However, at the end of the day, education is the key to the success or failure of a society.

May 10, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
  78. Scott Stodden

Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, Teachers, anything that's doesn't affect the political cronnies paychecks!

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

May 10, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  79. Gigi Oregon

I trust Oregon to do the right thing more than any state even though we have had high unemployment here.

May 10, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  80. Lance, Ridgecrest, Ca

Jack, I am not worried about California cutting anything. They simply do not have the political will to make any kind of meaningful cuts, and if they do make any, the welfare community will sue so some Judge can legislate from the bench, and place a legal hold on the cuts. California is toast, and I have absolutely no faith in Sacramento doing anything except keep spending until the state ends up in default. They will look to Obama and Congress to bail them out, because we are "TOO BIG TO FAIL" and the tax/spend Democrats will pour more deficit funding into the toilet.

May 10, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  81. Minesh - Troy, MI

The politicians will use their typical scare tactics to cut education, police and fire-department services.

They will never cut the non-essential services and fat, juicy benefits of public sector unions.

May 10, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  82. Solitude

"Communications!" You never know who's listening, so who knows when the internet will be interfered with? By the way I suppose you noted the Tory's in England just got the most seats in their election.
    Could he be because he wore a 'Black Face'.. They seem to want to hide their faces. Is the face you wear really yours? Is Mr Blitzer a sheep in Wolfs clothing?"

May 10, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  83. Carl

Jack,
    We know for sure of what won't be cut and thats our stealing, lying good for nothing politicians saleries. These worthless idiots should have to take a 25 percent cut in there pay at least, thats just a good start, then start reducing there pension and retirement benefits, let them feel the pain for a change.

May 10, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  84. Bob

Both Police and Fire: Everyone is blaming the police/fire unions for the economy problem which of course anyone who know the facts know this is not true. But as a result of the states receiving less Federal Monies (thanks Bush) the cities receive less from the state and that resulted in lay offs of police and fire. For myself and any knowledgable person I thank both for risking their lives for us for pennies compared to the big bonsuses to those who do nothing, in fact less than nothing!

May 10, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  85. John from San Antonio

What really needs to be done, but won't, is cut all the dead weight out first, meaning people who are performing ghost jobs. For every function performed by one person in the private sector, an equal function performed by government requires 10 to 20 people. We need to get serious about demanding 10% production from government employees.

May 10, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  86. bob landschoot

Ain't gonna happen, Jack. Too many people are nursing off entitlements, and are addicted to them. People won't change until material hits fan, with no money to fund these things, But, poliiticians won't be hurt, Use Russian meltdown as example

May 10, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  87. Barbie from Hollywood, CA

Being in California, I have no idea aside from teachers and state government paid employees, where those cuts will be made. But if we're ever going to get out of debt, we must either raise taxes by quite a bit (to make up for the loss of people who are moving out, and the loss of jobs), or make a lot of cuts which will affect millions of people. The old and infirmed who are on Medicare and Disability should be the LAST ones to have their meager incomes cut. They CAN'T get back into the workforce, and we are obligated morally to care for them, as best we can – both as a State, and as members of society who may one day have to walk in their shoes or be cared for by others.

May 10, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  88. Ralph Spyer

None, they should have cut years ago, if they have to cut, cut my taxes. We will end up like Greece and if they cut social security they will need the Army in our streets

May 10, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  89. sierra

NO Education, or medical services should be cut! We need teachers to eduate the next generation of Americans. And medical services are needed to make sure our population stays healthy.
    NO police officers, or firefighters should be cut either.

CUT the salaries of every State Senator by $1000 a year. That should help keep the teachers on the job.
    CUT the salaries of the 50 Govenors by $1000 a year too. That should help keep some o the medical services functioning.

May 10, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  90. Conor in Chicago

And I want to go on record right here, right now, and state the obvious once again for the Obama haters out that the will blame all of this on him: No Iraq War-no financial trouble. WE could have absorbed this hit a hell of a lot better had we not borrowed a Trillion from China to pay for Iraq. That's what us "traitors" we talking about back in the day-it was going to go wrong and we couldn't afford it. So yeah, whatever...

May 10, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  91. Kevin in CA

It's not just one service that concerns people – it's the cumulative effect of all the cuts combined with tax increases and pervasive fee charges on everything.

May 10, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  92. sara

And all you people were complaining about the Stimulus – without it, with the US going through the worst recession we have ever faced – can you imagine what our states would look like right now?! The Stimulus was desperately needed, and 1/3 of it went to help finance states. 1/3 went to tax cust that all working Americans received , and the other 1/3 went to job creation (mostly from infrastructure projects), some of which are being worked on right now, and are employing Americans all across this country, fixing, and buinding roads, bridges, dams, leeves, sewer systems , etc...

May 10, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  93. Simon/Orlando

Hopefully not police and firemen. Because when...and not if...but when we end up like Greece because of our economy going down the tubes due to all the government entitlements, we're going to need some protection from the rioters.

May 10, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  94. dan

I believe by now everyone realizes that our problem here in the USA are entitlements. I believe that " No workie, NO eatee!" Lets stop all the handouts and you will see the problem go away.
    THe gov will save billions.
    THe moochers will go home and American children will reap their birthright.
    Otherwise our children will suffer, while we feed house and clothe the people who have broken into our country and carjacked our entitlements.

May 10, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  95. Andrew Amherst NY

Jack,
    It's time to right size services! As you mentioned New York could lose a lot of teachers, but what you fail to mention is that we've added 19,00 over the last 15 years while seeing over 100,000 less students! It's time to make those painful cuts, because if we can't do it now, we will never be able too... Greece here we come!

May 10, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  96. Mike

I'm not woroied what they will cut. I'm worried they won't cut enough. As long as my road gets plowed, a fire in my house gets put out, and the police come when I call 911; they can cut everything else.

May 10, 2010 at 6:01 pm |
  97. Dan in WA

Education, medical, things like this make the list of deepest and priority cuts. Why? Why not the subsidies and funding to environmental programs 1st? Why are our politicians putting fish and bunnies ahead of our children and elders and the poor? Simply because they can then turn to you and convince you to allow for higher taxes "for the children". Hard to sell you on higher taxes for turtle tunnels...

May 10, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  98. Bob Kobs

Draft Sarah Palin for Supreme Court Justice. bring god back into American justice.

May 10, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  99. ben stockton, calif

lets start with welfare reformn next drastically cut out food stamps because welfare recipients and druggies sell them for their fix.next lets tackle abuse in the medicare for seniors that make too much money and can afford their own insurance . also severely screen diability patients because most of them lie about their injuries. also look into workmans compensation fraud. i could go on and on but thats just scratching the surface.

May 10, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
  100. Tim in Texas

Rather than cutting teachers, they should cut the salary's of all of the highest paid Public University employees, that includes all administrators, coaches, event planners, tenured professors, and other overpaid employees.
    Rather than cutting funding for domestic violence programs, they should make all persons convicted of domestic violence contribute one half of their salaries for two years for each offense. If they are not working, they should be given community service work to do for four years.

May 10, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
  101. Mark from Voorhees, NJ

I am worried that they will fire the teachers rather than the useless administrators. I am worried that they will lay off police officers, because then we will only have enough to stop crime and fewer to give tickets; for revenue enhancement. Really, I am afraid they will have to review services we need, rather than the ones we have built up over the years with full medical plans and extortion-like pensions. But in New Jersey we have a new governor who is already doing all this, and the reaction is like Greece.

May 10, 2010 at 6:08 pm |
  102. Jeremy D

from Traverse City, Michigan.

I'm not worried Jack. All of the stimulus money went to Lansing instead of the rest of the state. They need to be more responsible with the money they get.

May 10, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  103. steve- virginia beach

I'm not worried unless the US Supreme Court upholds the fed's attempt to commandeer our state treasury to pay for Obamacare. We fired the tax-and-spend clowns in the last election and threw their out-of-control-spending budget in the trash can along with their 17% income tax increase. Our budget is now balanced with only modest cuts in many areas and many incentives for companies to increase our tax revenues through job creation.

May 10, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
  104. Karl from SF, CA

None of them worry me and most Americans obviously don’t care. The cost of operating decent services has gone up over the years and the people of this country are not willing to pay for them. Prop 13 here in CA is a classic example of voter stupidity. Californians, and most everyone else, expect Cadillac services but at a Ford price. For the states to ever balance their budgets they need to either bring up the income, commonly called taxes, or cut services. We either have to accept paying our way or accept the fact that all services from schools to police, fire, medical and infrastructure are going be minimal, if they exist at all, and there will be a lot more state and local workers unemployed. The free ride is over, folks.

May 10, 2010 at 6:13 pm |
  105. Annie, Atlanta

Education is on the cutting block here in GA, and lord knows it’s the one we can least afford to lose. They’ve already turned out a generation of kids who are programmed instead of independent thinkers.

May 10, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
  106. Dylan Barr

They have already cut higher education in Louisiana, and they are planning on cutting even more.

They are cutting the programs that ensure we will have a better future.

We need higher taxes on corporations!!!

May 10, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
  107. Tom in Iowa

Our state is cutting 80 jobs in child welfare services and they are taking 1/2 of the county offices and making them part-time, no staff will be at the facility except by appointment. Education and State law enforcement (State Troopers) are next on the chopping block. All these cuts and more while our property taxes go up and up and up.
    Why they do not cut spending instead of essential services is beyond me. Every time I go to the state office building there are 30-40 people in every office just sitting in front of a computer and no one ever gets up to help the people waiting in line. How about we cut some of those jobs instead of cutting child welfare and law enforcement?

Tom in Iowa

May 10, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  108. Jay

Education. Cutting education is like cutting our roots. The young permit growth. Cut their education out of the system, and generations after will suffer.

May 10, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  109. CNN lover

I am afraid that my state of Florida will cut Teachers and other things from Education which would be devastating to the state.

May 10, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  110. JoeB

Instead of cutting teachers, fire fighters, and police. Lets first cut the governors staff, legislative staff, and administrative expense accounts. That's where an honest politician would start.

May 10, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  111. Susan Landolt

I am more concerned about what services my state doesn't cut.

Susan Landolt
    Rocklin, California

May 10, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  112. santiago

My worry is the "services" they won't cut-namely those to illegal aliens–a monumental burden on most states!

Santiago

May 10, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  113. Irene

I live in California and I am concerned about budget cuts affecting Community Colleges and State Universities. If we want our economy to bounce back stronger, education has to be readily accessible. California is needlessly cutting K-12 and higher education programs. Our future as a state and as a nation depends on education.

May 10, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  114. Austen

none. I live in North Dakota and we have a budget surplus, including a low unemployment rate partly due to a pro business environment and also the fact that we don't make promises that we cant keep.

May 10, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  115. Cynthia Johnson

I am very worried about cuts to mental health and Medicaid services.
    The Matt Blunt administration cut more than 100,000 people from Medicaid in 2005 and made Missouri's Medicaid program one of the weakest in the nation. More cuts will leave masses of poor and disabled without access to health care.

Annual cuts to mental health care shreaded our state's safety net. More cuts will mean thousands of ill people will have nowhere to go. I beleive our state is fliirting with disaster.

May 10, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  116. Rick Peters

Education funds, without federal stimulus funds or a remarkable economic recovery in Oklahoma many thousands of teachers and support staff will lose their jobs next year. Our state is currently 49th in education per pupil expenditures. The joke around Oklahoma is if our legislators could find a way to make us 52nd they would.

May 10, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  117. Lama in Boston

Jack, am I the only person who has noticed that some of the first things that states decide to cut are things that are important to women and that preserve their rights and dignity. In Massachusetts, Deval Patrick almost cut funding for sexual assault nurse examiners.. he didn't, but now they're threatened again. Other states are cutting domestic violence support, commissions on women's status, and other funding for women's groups. This is what I'm terrified of Jack. If I get raped, will there be a nurse to help me? If my friend is an abusive relationship, are there going to be shelters to take her in? Can someone explain to me why we always start by pushing women to the side?

May 10, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  118. Nico

This is the great American budget paradox. We need to lessen the budget gap yet we need to do so without tax increases or program cuts. We as Americans need to realize that one or both of those options need to happen. Cut the hell out of the programs. As long as education and military development is not affected I simply don't care. I live in GTMO when school is not in session and the FBI Director gets an H2 Hummer as his GOV, the security department got a hand full of new Jeep Cherokee's when they all ready had perfectly good Dodge Dakota and Ram's that they were using. Why? Why are government programs trying to keep up with the Jones'? This is just one example of the budget expenditures that need to stop.
    Carbondale, IL

May 10, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  119. Eamon

Jack, you're asking the wring question. We shouldn't have to give anything up. Last time we were in this mess, FDR raised taxes on the rich and corporations in order to keep the country afloat, remember how that turned out for the economy? Contrast that policy with the last 30 years of neoliberal nonsense with tax cuts and deregulation. Its time the rich pay up for the mess they've made.

May 10, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  120. Kris Young, MSN, NP-C, RN-BC, CHPN - Scottsdale AZ

Jack, as you may not know, we do it different down here in AZ –our Medicaid is called AHCCCS (Arizona Healthcare Cost Containment System). Let me tell you, as a nurse practitioner who accepts AHCCCS, I find it hard to fathom MORE cuts. We are already reeling from the elimination of the hospice benefit which was retroacted to not pay hospices for services already provided, on top of a multitude of other cuts already in place. We do have a proposition up on special ballot to raise the sales tax now, but I doubt it will pass here in conservative-ville ..... This leaves us with more vital services being cut. Now, you mention, MORE cuts are possible? This just can't be .....

May 10, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  121. Libertarian Michael

Hopefully, the state doesn't cut our police and fire protection. We had a fire on our block last week, and here in Chicago the fire trucks were here almost instantly. 2 of my neighbors are still alive due to their quick response coupled with adequate manpower.

May 10, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  122. Shari from Madison WI

I'm afraid of a cut to education, to elderly services, to police, firemen and paramedics. The only thing I don't see them cutting is their salaries and perks.

May 10, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  123. Sarah

I am a public school teacher in Brooklyn, and what this country can not take is more cuts to our schools. In order to untangle the corporate governmental web that we call "democracy", we must educate more people, and we must educate them better. More cuts to our schools will inevitably make our problems that more difficult to deal with in the future.

May 10, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  124. Bill Louis, Kennesaw GA

The GA legislature issued the following memo: Due to budget restraintgs, the light at the end of the tunnel will be extinguished. Many county and city services will be cut back. Some areas will have public transportation reduced or eliminated.
    But the biggest cut of all is that several thousand public school teachers will be laid off, classes will be larger, and some school services will be cut. Some neighborhood schools may be closed. Universities will have to raise tuition and eliminate some courses. This is not the time to reduce education funding when the system is already on life support.

May 10, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  125. maria, california

I'm afraid they will cut Medi-Cal. My boyfriend and I have it with a share of cost and they already take everything over $600 a month per person. California is in deep trouble. But what I am sure won't happen is any cuts for the benefits and services for illegal aliens and their kids. They seem to be safe in this state. That to me should be the first things cut, – health care, housing, education etc. to those illegally in the country should be cut before one dime is cut in services for U.S. citizens and those who came in the right way!!!

May 10, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  126. Andy in Montana

I am so worried that the state will cut back on road maintenance. We have so many pot holes. Last year I had to have two tires replaced on my Beamer.

May 10, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  127. Angela Savage Austin

Unemployment should not be cut. 14 years ago under the name a company would use called "LEAN" was a mask for terminating, cuts and laying off of employees and/or programs. What we see now was known then and salaries of the CEO, and management teams only increased because they were aware that financial nests had to be established to secure their futures...not ours. The misconception that people who are unemployed are lazy and don't want to work....far from the truth. With future layoffs and cuts and the lack of jobs for those who are unemployed today will only be a disaster for this country.

May 10, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  128. Sara in ND

Our roads are going to hell because of heavy truck traffic from the oil boom, and North Dakota's republican governor is busy squirreling money away from that oil boom so he can cite his fiscal responsibility in his upcoming senatorial bid, Unfortunately, we will be driving on rutted, 2-lane wagon tracks like our pioneer forefathers before the fall election is over.

May 10, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  129. Matt - KY

Interesting that so many defile the stimulus (which likely saved the U.S economic system)....yet complain about the inevitable end of these programs.

Eat your cake already...but don't complain bout the lack of ERolaids

May 10, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  130. Edwina Vauclain

State governments do not have the ability to continue paying for all the mandated services that have come out of Washington over the past decades. And, with the high pension payments for public service employees that are underfunded by billions,most state/municipal governments are headed towards bankruptcy. Simply cannot keep this up. And to think we just loaned Greece $1 trillion dollars is mind boggling.

May 10, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  131. Mike Wallace

Jack, they won't cut anything meaningfully. We've borrowed our way into this national mess and will continue to do so. The so-called "services" ( spending hard-working people's money on those who won't pay their own mortgages, feed and educate their own children, seek their own helathcare, etc., ) will proceed apace. Not until the working man decides he's had enough and doesn't want or need these "services" will the economy and the country recover.
    Enough is enough.

May 10, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  132. Gary Scamihorn

It's hard to predict all the services that will be cut. But you can be certain that all those services (aka, freebies) for illegal aliens, will not...

May 10, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  133. L.

I am worried They will cut the funds to keep . People from breaking and entering into the state of Arizona. We need more support to keep them out. We have waited 20 Years to long to put a fence arround the place. The state of Az would be just fine without all of these so called workers. The hardest job they have is trying to figure out how to milk the system, to take what belongs to us.

May 10, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  134. Bernie of Lowell, MA

Once again, the funding that will get cut here in Massachusetts will be the funding for the homeless and physcially-challenged, Jack. These are the groups that cannot speak out. We've already been through once cycle of great diversion of financial responsibility to non-profit groups. There's no place for these people to go and many more will freeze to death this next winter. This problem, especially for the homeless, is increasing with our high rates of eviction and unemployment.

May 10, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  135. Steve in Las Vegas,NV

If education is cut any further the future will be bleak as so many will not have the education to get the jobs that so necessary!

And if welfare gets cut, what will all the illegals and all their babies live on?? And the free health care they get now?

May 10, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  136. Mike---Virginia

Jack,

There is no reason to cut services because of layoffs associated with budget cuts. Those who don't get the ax would actually have to work to earn their pay and outlandish (by most standards) benefits. Go to any government office building, whether it be local, state or federal, and you will find a whole lot of people standing around not even trying to look busy!

May 10, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  137. Rich

Jack, I am a retired business owner living in Florida. I elected to keep busy by getting a CDL and driving a school bus every day. Having lived through the fiasco call Vietnam in the 60's and 70's it seems to me that this country has yet to learn that any society that chooses to make war in lieu of educating their children is destined to go down in those flames in the long run. The military establishment in the country is alive and thriving at the expense of our children. Cutting school personnel as opposed to military spending is a lesson we have yet to learn. History should be the best teacher in this regard. Our leaders need to bite the bullet and choose our kids

May 10, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  138. BGreen in AZ

Jack this is an inetresting question here in AZ. The biggest concern after Obama was elected everyone in the state who did not support him was saying that . Here we go taxes are going up on the Federal level. Now that the Federal has not gone up and we have an abominable reublican management team in the state they can't do anything in office and have put raising tax on a a vote due the 18th. This campaign to raise the tax in AZ is being blamed on the federal level. But it is the state who can't manage the budget. Placing Blame on the president and the Democrat's is easy to do here as it is predominately old retired republican sent ti ment, keep your guns, show them off but sue the President for healthcare and then ask the voters for a sales tax increase to fund social services thatthe Federal level had earmarked funding for. Guess what Jack that funding was used on a myriad of other back and fourth fighting and the rejecting of Federal help for social programs. We are given the smallest unemployment benefit. No one wants to build here and bring jobs with the current climate and the last straw is this recent opinion that Our last line of Defense is a worn out Washington politician who claims to not be the Maverick and will do somthing for our borders. How long has he and his pew mate Kyle been there? Over 20 years and Washington has failed us and they are coming to the rescue. I don't need their help I just need a job. Can you be a senator with no experience accept a desire to make everyone fiscally responsible for their own house. Lets start there.

May 10, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  139. shar

I work in a Domestic Violence shelter in Phoenix.
    & I hope they do cuts in DV ~ 70% of the 'residents' in the shelter are illegals-& they take advantage of 'confidentialty' in ther DV shelters-and people are wondering why we are all so upset about them crossing the border & taking advantage of the services they use in this country – when americsans call for shelter we are always full- the management is of mexican decent & always thakes 'their own kind' first!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    this is where much of tax dollars go

May 10, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  140. TJ

Hey Jack, I live in CA where we NEED to cut Social Services like welfare and wick along with all of the free medical for Illegal aliens. They have completely bankrupted this state and anybody that claims they dont receive these benifits is lying. The anchor babies qualify instantly and all parents have to do is walk into any hospital to get all the care they need while taxpaying citizens are forced to go without. This is insanity at the highest level and our elected officials are to ignorant to deal with it.

May 10, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  141. Dave

The pillars of our local communities are how it takes care of it's children (education), how it takes care of it's elderly (senior services), and how it keeps everyone safe (emergency services). The town I live in is making severe cuts to all threw areas due to a dramatic cut I'm state aid. My concern is that if these pillars are weakened too much, they will fail, and that the community that we have worked so long and so hard to develop into one of the best in our state will deteriorate into an ongoing state of disrepair.

Dave Beun
    Mt. Laurel, NJ

May 10, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  142. J.Bruno

I'm afraid that the states might cut out the services of common sense. Since most of them don't care and aren't worrying that election time is around the corner and americans are piss off. These lawmakers seems to have forgotten that in a blink of an eye they can become part of america's umempolyment rate.

May 10, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  143. David Saari

The Utah legislature, controlled by the far-far-far-right-wing of the Utah GOP, severely cut programs for the sick, the elderly, and the disabled, cut public school funding for current students and did not provide so much as one thin dime of funding for approximately 12,000 new students. . .but made sure that an “environmental program” called “Rodeo Club” got a nice slice of the budget pie.

David
    Sandy, Utah

May 10, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  144. Corey

States have cut back on many services and most states have raised taxes. We have a president that has wasted over a year on health care, he seems to be more concerned over immigration reform rather than concentrating on the economy. Look at what's been happening in this country, many homes are now underwater, schools closing, teachers being laid off and fired, unemployment is at an all time high, small rural cities can't even afford to hire police, and this latest fiasco with BP's inability to stop 5,000 barrels of oil spewing into the Gulf. No wonder states are cutting back on services. Everyone is losing their job, we have a president that definitely has his priorities screwed up and the american dream has been fading away. I say enact laws like they have in AZ, kick out the immigrants and let's get off this idea that we need these illlegals to lower our standard of living.

May 10, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  145. Steve in Las Vegas,NV

If police and fire protection services get another cut, I'll have to buy more guns and hoses!

May 10, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  146. Ken in NC

It doesn't make much difference what is cut. A cut always brings blood and it hurts. The only cut I would not object to would be the politicians we elected.

May 10, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  147. Al

Jack,
    I live in Colorado Springs and with over 500,000 residents we still have an unpaid city council form of government. We have already had cutbacks on Police and Fire employees as well as infrastucture , road repair park and rec services. I mover here from Brooklyn in 1981 and as the population grew and gangs and organized crime have infilltrated our city, the police force has dwindled to unaccepable levels. This Scares the Crap out of me as I have two brothers on the job in NYC and Nassau county. I would feel safer back in New York than I do here now. There is no support from the state for our local scarcities due to a contstutional amendmendment passed 10 years ago for no changes in spending or taxes without voter appproval. With the economy in the shape it is Colorado is turning back to truly the WILD WEST!!!!

May 10, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  148. Solitude

"Now I travel even further! I drop my comments all over the place, and create more conflict under more 'Solitude drop in's, and different passwords'. But that way I get more conflicting news, than any one media."

May 10, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  149. Alex

Worried? I was, they're already cutting education in Colorado. Including my job among the $400,000 lost from this district of ~500 kids. Quite a ways past worried now.

May 10, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  150. Melinda Jones

Jack, I have worked at an addiction treatment facility where there were only a few state funded beds and were full much of the time. Not only would it be devastating for state funds to be cut for addiction treatment facilities, I feel there needs to be more funding and aid for those suffering from addictions as well as well as individuals who are diagnosed with a dual diagnosis of mental illness and a form of addiction. Many of these people are veterans and I find it unbeleivable that those who have served our country and are now in need of their countries help are left to self medicate or even homelessness in some cases. I am concerned with state funds being cut for those with addictions and mental illness.

May 10, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  151. Larry Anderson

MEDICAID!!!! What will the Ole folks do then???

May 10, 2010 at 6:34 pm |
  152. Benjamin Parish

aye jack,

and thanks for the way that u covered Ron Paul in 2008 when almost no one else would, i could not vote in 08' i was not 18 yet... but i found out about him on YouTube, and his message got me into politics and Obama and the democrats have made me a republican.

Once again, thanks for ur support for freedom

May 10, 2010 at 6:34 pm |
  153. Erick, Bronx, NY

Jack, as a teacher in New York State, I am obviously extremely concerned about losing my own job. I am however, equally if not more concerned that vital services such as emergency services, community clinics, and so on, will be cut. The community in which I teach, for instance, has been severely shortchanged in the number of state- and city-funded services provided, a pattern evident since the late 60's. I'm afraid funding cuts will devastate communities across the state, further exacerbating the vast array of issues caused by the current recession.

May 10, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
  154. Nancy M., Tennessee

I'm not worried about what Tennessee will cut. I'm worried about an increase in taxes to pay for all the programs that they will not cut.

May 10, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  155. Ed from Montana

Actually not worried about any services being cut. A state legislature that managed to get past partisan issues and a smart Governor were able to see the problems coming, and with al ittle belt-tightning early on Montana actuall has a bit of a surplus. But don't tell anyone, we'd like to keep that our little secret.

May 10, 2010 at 6:40 pm |
  156. Raj Comer

Hi there Jack,
    I would be absolutely devastated to see education budgets be cut. Efficiency is good to works towards, but we've already slipped so far behind in education that I don't think it would be worth the consequences of letting our kids fall further down the rings of the educational ladder. I'm outraged at where we are currently, actually!!

Thanks Jack,
    Raj

May 10, 2010 at 6:42 pm |
  157. David Sisters OR

Education Jack, when we need it the most, unfortunately it's the first to go. You can bet we'll have plenty new Law Enforcement though, why dont we try something different and switch the priorities there.

May 10, 2010 at 6:45 pm |
  158. bill

Jack. I worry about my water, electricity, sewer being turned off and my retirement social security pay reduced.
    Other than that I don't worry about anything.

May 10, 2010 at 6:46 pm |
  159. Jason, Koloa HI

Um Jack, what else is left? In Hawaii, they've already furloughed the kids and staff from schools on Fridays, kids now go to school only a 160 days a year, they've layed off thousands of state workers, they've frozen our state tax returns. I

May 10, 2010 at 6:47 pm |
  160. Bruce

State salaries- the engine of the state.

May 10, 2010 at 6:47 pm |
  161. Bob in Kansas City

I hope our education system is spared any more reductions...those kids are our future and need all the help we can give them...cut subsidies for pro sports teams, believe it or not here in Missouri our state reps have exempted the state sales tax for boats big enough to be registered with the Coast Guard, other words all those that the rich only can afford....then they bitch about no money for essential services...they all should be taken out and shot...

May 10, 2010 at 6:47 pm |
  162. Sue

I choose not to worry about it, as we can't do anything about it.
    Let's be fair about it, states have been in dire need since Bush took over. Let's give the devil's his dues.

May 10, 2010 at 6:48 pm |
  163. Dave, Brooklyn, NY

We will not have to worry about any government cutting back on law enforcement for two reasons; 1) they need them to hand out fines for revenue enhancement for the most petty offenses, and 2) they will need them to protect their own sorry butts when they finally push all of us too far and we decide not to take it anymore.

May 10, 2010 at 6:48 pm |