April 26th, 2010

Is your recession over?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

It's springtime and the signs of recovery are springing up everywhere... from the nation's ports to its malls, from the factories to car dealerships.

One longshoreman on the docks in Portland, Oregon told the New York Times, "Things are looking up."

There may be something to what he says. Consumer spending - which makes up more than two-thirds of the U.S. economy - was up by four percent during the first quarter... more than double what was expected.

Americans are shopping again - buying furniture, cars and electronics. One retail analyst says on his weekly "mall check" he's seeing lots of women ages 25 to 45 shopping again... one sign of a recovery.

Last month, retail sales were up nine percent; and new home sales were up 27 percent.

But the question is: How strong will the recovery be? It appears that much of the improvement in the economy so far is a result of the $800 billion government stimulus program. Once that money is used up - it's not clear how much consumers will keep spending.

And, another looming factor is when the jobs will come back. Although March saw the biggest surge in hiring in over two years, the U.S. economy has lost about eight million jobs since the start of the recession and the national unemployment rate is still almost 10 percent.

A recent CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll shows 19 percent of those surveyed say the economy is starting to recover - that's up significantly from January.

46 percent say the economy has stabilized; and 34 percent say it's still in a downturn.

Statistics and poll numbers are one thing…your personal situation is another.

Here’s my question to you: Is your recession over?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Michelle in Warsaw, Indiana writes:
Mine is just getting into full swing. My unemployment benefits have run out. There are no jobs. Rent is over due. I will be cutting internet, cable...already cut my phone. Soon I will be homeless. I still love my country, but not to proud of what our government has done.

Mirsad writes:
Yes, I was unemployed for over a year; a month ago I was offered four jobs. I took one, of course, but those other three have gone to other people, which to me indicates that things are looking up.

Sarah in North Carolina writes:
No. I'm still unemployed, can't find work anywhere. The over-50 population is going to continue to be extremely affected. The hires will be the 20-somethings.

Joe writes:
Until I'm able to buy things I can't afford, then my recession will be over. Until then, I'll have to watch what I spend and plan ahead. That's not the American way I was taught.

Sher writes:
I am underemployed, working part-time without health benefits from my job. However, I am making more per hour than many people working full time and am grateful. I am part of the statistic you cited (a woman, in the 25-40 age range) who signed a contract this past weekend to buy a car. However, I used up my life savings to do this since my 15-year-old car finally gave up on me. I am not in a personal "recession", but I have a lot of student debt and am forced to manage my money well.

Greg in Oregon writes:
Jack, I live 100 miles plus from that Portland dockworker you quoted and I find his enthusiasm remarkable. We have one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation. Our state is nearly broke. Our resident truckers still sit idle and yet the docks are busy. I live in Deschutes County and the unemployment rate here is over 12%. I think our dockworker has been consuming water from the Willamette River.

David in Alexandria, Virginia writes:
85% over. Another 15% and my IRA will be back to where it was before we found our regulators asleep at the switch while Wall Street was stealing the switch.

Filed under: Recession • Uncategorized
  1. Ruth - Indiana

2 years and my husband is still out of work..

April 26, 2010 at 1:31 pm |
  2. Harold Eke, Fremont, Ca, USA.

With steps that President Obama took, the worst of it is certainly over.

April 26, 2010 at 1:32 pm |
  3. Tom Mytoocents Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Jack
    The recession/depression won't be over until AIG, Goldman Sach, BofA Citi ,Wells Fargo, GM and Fiat are driven out of business. And the stock market returns to 7000 DOW

April 26, 2010 at 1:33 pm |
  4. Russ in PA

I'm not in debt, and I watch my spending, so my recession has been over for some time. But continued government spending, preparation for another war, and nonsensical "reform" are going to ensure that the next recession in a year or so is much worse. Perhaps people will then finally learn that bail outs, corporatism, and "reform" are pure nonsense from the ruling party, whichever is in power.

April 26, 2010 at 1:34 pm |
  5. whatnextnow

Are you kidding? Heck No its not over.

April 26, 2010 at 1:40 pm |
  6. Dave, Brooklyn, NY

My recession will be over when we as a country are out of debt, have a surplus and have a balance budget – you know, like when Cilinton was running the country and before Bush got his incompetent hands on it. My recession will be over when so-called American companies stop sending American jobs to people who want our money and want us dead. My recession will be over when the politicians start working for us and not themselves and their morally and ethically bankrupt sponsors. My recession will be over when our borders are secure, Wall Street is made to play by the intelligent rules that were in effect between the first great depression and the end of the Bush giveaways. My recession will be over when the so-called healthcare reform law is fixed so that it actually means something other than a windfall for the industry. That’s for openers.

April 26, 2010 at 1:41 pm |
  7. southerncousin

Jack, you of all people shoud know that the New York Times and other liberally biased media are going to tell us the economy is great when the democrats are in charge and horrible when the republicans are. They have been doing it and getting away with it for decades now. In the meantime George Soros is bragging about how much money he made on the crisis he created using the liberally biased media to get Obama elected.

April 26, 2010 at 1:41 pm |
  8. Susan Frost

Being self-employed in a service profession, my recession won't be over until everyone else's is.

Susan
    Tuscaloosa AL

April 26, 2010 at 1:45 pm |
  9. Louanne

Wish I could say yes. Sometimes I feel I am living in another universe, when I hear the media reporting that the economy has turned around. Jobs, family incomes property values, construction and lending all seem to be stuck where they were a year ago not only from my perspective, but everyone I know.

Louanne
    Atlanta, GA

April 26, 2010 at 1:47 pm |
  10. frank

Out of work 5 years and counting, no unemployment. States really play games with that. Move out of state you get screwed, even if you worked for the state for enough to get retirement.

April 26, 2010 at 1:50 pm |
  11. John from Alabama

Jack: Yes, my personal recession is over, but AIG, J P Morgan Chase, Bank of America, and Goldman-Sachs have made a pile of cash at the tax payers expense. I believe the leaders of these companies might need to see the inside of our prisons, and pay large fines out of their profits, rather give huge bonuses to their masnagement. Definitely more over site and new regulations are required.

April 26, 2010 at 1:52 pm |
  12. Harold in Anchorage

Only my hairline

April 26, 2010 at 1:55 pm |
  13. Jerry, Silver Spring, MD

I am not sure, Jack, but my unemployed friends say – NO, it's not over..

April 26, 2010 at 1:55 pm |
  14. Don (Ottawa)

Jack, it all depends on who you ask. For certain members of the corporate world, there was no recessiont. However, for those that lost their jobs and homes, the recession is still ongoing.

April 26, 2010 at 1:56 pm |
  15. Hugo Kijne, Hoboken NJ

My recession never really started, but as someone who receives his paycheck from the State of New York I'm surprised every time it doesn't bounce.

April 26, 2010 at 1:57 pm |
  16. JENNA

Is your recession over?

No. However I do see our nation finally going in the right direction.

Let's see if the GOP will OBSTRUCT Finance Reform like they did Health Care Reform.

Will the party of NO continue to work against the good for our nation?

Jenna
    Roseville CA

April 26, 2010 at 2:05 pm |
  17. Carl

Jack,
    The simple answer is not even close. The worst is yet to come.

April 26, 2010 at 2:07 pm |
  18. Jane (Minnesota)

Jack, I'm one of the lucky Americans who was never impacted adversly by the recession. I'm very grateful.

April 26, 2010 at 2:08 pm |
  19. •BEVERLY-Mystic,Iowa

Happily, yes. It's over.

April 26, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
  20. Angel from Birmingham

Let's see. I lost what little I had in my 401(k) when the crisis hit. Groceries have gone sky high. My rent has increased. Utilities went up over $160 a month on my apartment since last year at this time. My group health insurance - which they will cancel next year when I reach 65 - increased premiums and decreased benefits. Yet I still make the same salary. So no, Jack. I'm still very much recessed.

April 26, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
  21. AlphaPoe

It's not over, but is improving. It won't happen overnight.

April 26, 2010 at 2:11 pm |
  22. Ruth from Easton PA

Right now my recession has no end in sight. Until I can find employment there's still more money going out than coming in, and we have trimmed the budget to the bone. For some the bone means things like dinner out less; for us it means – among other things – dinner out NEVER. I have friends who don't seem to have been affected in any way, and I'm happy for them, but I'm growing weary of my situation. I just keep repeating It could be worse It could be worse. ~sigh~

April 26, 2010 at 2:18 pm |
  23. Kevin

Some folks are asking if the recession is over. People, SNAP OUT OF IT! We haven't even ended our shopping spree, where we're overpaying for things we shouldn't even be buying, and we haven't yet BEGUN to pay for any of it! The bill is still in the mail! The recession hasn't even begun yet – it's coming.

April 26, 2010 at 2:18 pm |
  24. California Gary

Still feeling the effects of it, but I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

April 26, 2010 at 2:19 pm |
  25. Shawn Boles

No! My recession is not over. I'm a heavy equipment operator in Arizona.
    The facts are the banks will not lend enough to cover pay roll for employees let alone money to cover the job it self.

April 26, 2010 at 2:20 pm |
  26. renegade98

I'm entering my fifth month in recession. My position at an automotive dealer in San Bernardino, Calif was eliminated after having worked there for almost five years.

Wayne L.

April 26, 2010 at 2:20 pm |
  27. JIM BOB

You have to be kidding. The recession won't be over until November 2012

April 26, 2010 at 2:26 pm |
  28. Simon/Orlando

Not likely. I'm still struggling and under employed. I don't know where all the bail out money went, but none of it came my way.

April 26, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
  29. Gregory Tripp, Mechanicsburg, PA

Not by a long shot, Jack. We were planning a short trip to Niagara Falls this summer, but even that is too much. I guess things could be worse, but I'm beginning to wonder if things will ever, and I mean ever get better. When I was a kid, my Mom stayed at home and raised a family. Since I've been old enough to work, about forty years ago, it's increasingly difficult for a family to get by with one income. That has been the root of many social disorders including the failing of our schools and our reliance upon fast food which fattens our kids.

April 26, 2010 at 2:30 pm |
  30. viola

Wake up America and read your history. Fact:
    1930's depression lasted from 1929 to 1939
    Unemployement 25% and 33% in other countries
    Average salary dropped 40% from $2,300 to $1,368
    Population 123,188,000, today is 307,006,500
    Male life expectancy: 58.1 and Female: 61.6
    Bread 9 cents a loaf, Milk 14 cents a gallon and Steak 42 cents a pound
    Lynching: 21

Republicans are now using this statement on their campaign, "Are you better off today than two years." The answer from Dems should No, because are the ones that caused the depression. But yet you expected Obama to fix the day he was sworn in and saying NOW after 14 months, he should already have done it.

Wake up America, don't let the Republicans fool you again in November.

April 26, 2010 at 2:34 pm |
  31. Kevin in Dallas

Growing up I was told to live well within my means, and start saving for retirement early. My short term sacrifices for the sake of long term benefits means I had no recession.

April 26, 2010 at 2:40 pm |
  32. leon

its in a depression.. i was denied my "jones act gurantees" and cant get a loan tostart making oil spill containment nets.. the federal judges have thrown in with big business and foresaken our rights..i am saving for a gun>

April 26, 2010 at 2:40 pm |
  33. s in florida

Not exactly, but there are a quite a few sprouts on the Bush Scorched Landscape. Obama has done a stellar job in my humble opinion under the circumstances. Just think how far we'd be if didn't have to spend most of the last year shaking conservative Pitbulls off his ankle and playing Lucy-Charlie Brown football with the sore losers.

April 26, 2010 at 2:41 pm |
  34. Kenneth in the High Desert of California

No Jack, the recession is not over, and if we expect to return to the economy of the past, forget it, we have come to the end of an era.
    Since WW2 we have been an economy that has be funded by taxes and borrowing by our government. The military/ industrial complex, entitlements, money to states, ear marks, etc, has fed the economy by trillions through taxes and a national debt of eleven plus trillion dollars. It is the reason the economy boomed, spawning jobs and consumerism that for years rallied Wall Street to amazing highs, and provided a better standard of living for millions. We all got a piece of the federal pie.
    Now someone go tell us, since big government is broke, what will replace the trillions of dollars once depended on by America's workers/consumers?

April 26, 2010 at 2:42 pm |
  35. sue from Ct

The recession has left me high and dry. I lost most of my retirement savings and if that wasn't enough, the price of gas and oil and the inreased prices of most everything certainly was the last straw. I have gone from being relatively well-off to struggling to pay daily expenses. I am one step ahead of the poorhouse. No, the recession is for from over for me–it will be with me for a long time.

April 26, 2010 at 2:46 pm |
  36. Tina Tx

No neither my recession nor my depression has ended. I get less money and pay out more in taxes, utility bills etc. They keep saying go shop. Why? I cannot afford new clothes and groceries when things go up except my wages.

April 26, 2010 at 2:48 pm |
  37. Uncle Peno, New Orleans

No, as long as fellow citizens are suffering from government blunders, then my recession isn't over. Unless I covert to the Republican party, then I'll just assume that all fates are deserved.

April 26, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
  38. Sheila

Is my recession over? Hell no, it isn't over, it's at its worst. We're only just beginning to feel the effects of the recession here where I live and in my (former) line of work. This is and has been the darkest, scariest time of my entire life.

April 26, 2010 at 3:09 pm |
  39. B.J., Quincy,Ill.

No, not until they give the social security raise that they were suppose to. Notice they didnt give up their raise.

April 26, 2010 at 3:15 pm |
  40. Larry,Springfield,Ohio

Jack,Washington D.C.would like you to think the recession is over,but I doubt the millions of people still out of work with their unemployment benefits about to run out,would agree.They can spin numbers anyway they want,this administration is great at that,as usual,it is just more smoke and mirrors!

April 26, 2010 at 3:16 pm |
  41. Tom, Avon, Me, The Heart of Democracy

When America catches cold, the world gets pneumonia. Because all men are brothers, I won't consider my recession over until things are right in Greece, in Ireland, in Kenya, and all around the world.

April 26, 2010 at 3:17 pm |
  42. Chris

My recession is not over and I don't think the countries is over aswell. Look around and what do you see? Things the same way if not worse than they were when the Recession hit, and it's supose to be over? Gas prices are now going up to around 3 dollars a gallon again,Unemployment is either staying the same or going up, and food prices are going up making it harder to live and support familes. Business are still going under and people are still being laid off, and if we were really recovering why did they just extend Unemployment Benifits??? Yeah sounds like were out of a recession to me...NOT.

April 26, 2010 at 3:22 pm |
  43. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

Does the sun rise in the West? No. The recession is just beginning and we're not, or should I say Congress and the President don't want to take the action necessary to stop the cycle, jobs, jobs and more good manufacturing jobs. Look at the people that camped out in tents since Friday just to get an application who have in many cases been out of work for over two years. Ask them, oh, you can't, they don't have a computer anymore.

April 26, 2010 at 3:30 pm |
  44. Mike from Denver

Absolutely! My elected representatives told me so.

April 26, 2010 at 3:36 pm |
  45. Cheryl in Bluffton, SC

No. I'm a medical transcriptionist, Jack, and our jobs are being sent overseas, depressing our wages. I work harder and make less money than I did 10 years ago. My recession won't be over until I find a better career – and I'm working on that and pinching pennies in the meantime.

April 26, 2010 at 3:41 pm |
  46. Craig Galowin

Currently, I have a job, and while I don't mean to sound ungrateful for having something that so many people are without right now, I have become frustrated in my failed attempts to secure a more career-driven profession. Consequently, I'm tired of hearing that the recession is close to being over. I don't care if unemployment is down by two percent or ten percent or if the stock market had its best closing in the last month or ten months. The bottom line is that a job is still hard to come by, and while some job sites might be filled with openings, the reality is that those job listings have a tendency to sit there for long periods of time. How about we stop feeding the public this rubbish about the recession improving until we know this to be undoubtedly certain and the average person starts benefiting from the “good news” that is being based on anonymous polls and pure speculation?

Craig
    North Beach, MD

April 26, 2010 at 3:42 pm |
  47. jerseylou

Is my recession over? Does a lion like vegetables, Does Sarah palin like Katie Couric, when i see the light at the end of the tunnel Mr.Cafferty you will be the first one i will call !

April 26, 2010 at 3:42 pm |
  48. Jeff in E. Lyme, CT

Hell no Jack! I have 30+ years in metalworking & manufacturing plus 20 years in IT systems & networking. I'm still marginally employed/unemployed. This is wrong on so many levels.

April 26, 2010 at 3:42 pm |
  49. Gary H. Boyd

Jack, I'll know the recession's over when 4 things happen: (1) Our oldest son buys his first new car. (2) Our next oldest son takes his family on an overdue vacation. (3) Our youngest son, who's 40, buys a house and moves out of ours. And, finally, when I can take my wife to the local indian casino, blow a couple of hundred bucks and feel good about it.

Gary in Scottsdale, Arizona

April 26, 2010 at 3:45 pm |
  50. Joe CE

THe core of the recession will not be broken untill there is progress toward fair trade. A lot of the present rexcovery is due to ovrseas corporate profits.

April 26, 2010 at 3:47 pm |
  51. Michael, Alexandria, VA

No, and it won't be until I can write down about $80,000 in mortgage debt and a real job with real health insurance.

April 26, 2010 at 3:49 pm |
  52. Solitude

"Why do you keep calling it a recession?. The whole world is in a recess, every fiscal year. You pay your tax every April, and so does the World Banking system (to itself), also do some Audits. Even with all this Electronic Equipment: It is still a gamble! Business goes where it's gets the best interest on it's returns. We have some of your business in Canada who also pay nothing (NOTHING) to ply their trade. The world is wide open, and there are no pearls to be had in the USA today."

April 26, 2010 at 3:49 pm |
  53. Maria

Good grief, Charlie Brown...no!! And neither is my family's, or friends, or neighbors. Apparently Goldman Sachs is doing just fine, thanks.

Maria

Brunswick,MD

April 26, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
  54. Kathie

In my dreams! I will never recoup the thousands of dollars lost from my annuity and Wall Street could care less as long as they get to pad their greedy pockets.

April 26, 2010 at 4:06 pm |
  55. Lori - PA

Jack,

As I have yet to find a job (one job that I did apply for had 30 applicants), I would have to say no.

April 26, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  56. Rhoda Bryce

No, we are just now losing our home thanks to the bank's logic of making more money with TARP than working with the owner......

Scottsdale, AZ

April 26, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  57. David Alexandria VA

April 26, 2010 at 4:09 pm |
  58. bud rupert

Are you kidding! My recession is perpetual. But that's Ok I'll continue to operate like the federal government. At a deficit.

April 26, 2010 at 4:09 pm |
  59. Ed

On paper Yes, on the Street and in everyday life not so much.

April 26, 2010 at 4:10 pm |
  60. Joe R - Houston

Our recession (yours, mine and everybody else's) has yet to begin in earnest.

April 26, 2010 at 4:12 pm |
  61. Mr Conservative from California

I am employed so yes.

April 26, 2010 at 4:12 pm |
  62. Steve, Clifton, VA

Negative! My recession will not be over until my 401K is restored to the levels of 2007 and the standard of living that my family enjoyed during the year 2000 is restored as well.

April 26, 2010 at 4:16 pm |
  63. Barbara Kenzik

NO. I am 70 years old and cannot find a job. I will be moving back to Florida before my unemployment benefits run out.

I think the people on Wall Street should be tried for treason and hung from the nearest tree.

April 26, 2010 at 4:17 pm |
  64. Mark Republican from Northern PA

Well you tell me Jack. I as well as all my friends have gotten the biggest tax return ever thanks to Obama (I don't make over $250,000 a year). My private business is growing steadily, My 401K is improving and investments have rebounded, and I think I may actually be able to retire in the next few years. I have cut back on a few things I really didn't need anyway, and have no problem with buying a new car less often, especially when I see the auto industry making changes that eventually will mean a better product. By the way I also stopped buying Chinese. Yes- My recession is for all practical purposes over.

April 26, 2010 at 4:17 pm |
  65. Steve, NY

It's never over until the fat lady sings.

April 26, 2010 at 4:21 pm |
  66. Kevin of San Diego

I live off of a small amount of income property which it took me 30 years to acquire. No, the recession is not over; and neither is the local, state, and federal government’s destruction of privacy and private property rights over! For ten years I never had problems with vacancies; but since the economy collapsed my fixed income has not recovered due to both Republicans and Democtrats! I am afraid it will never recover; because those who are responsible will never be held accountable by either party!

April 26, 2010 at 4:25 pm |
  67. Jim in Alabama

Things are definately improving but unemployment is historically the last to recover, so voter discontent will probably continue since Americans are very impatient. However, if effective banking reform isn't passed and enforced, the scenario is still in place for the people on Wall Street to do the same thing again that they just did.

April 26, 2010 at 4:26 pm |
  68. Dee

Are you kidding?

My husband has not had a job in 21 months. We have sent out over a thousand resumes. He has (at great expense) traveled to many cities on the east coast, looking for work.

We have no home, have spent most of our retirement money, and will soon be dead broke.

The recession AIN'T OVER!!!!

April 26, 2010 at 4:29 pm |
  69. Joe Ft Walton Bch Fl

My recession is over since I join the Welfare System.

April 26, 2010 at 4:30 pm |
  70. Richard McKinney, Texas

Jack the Economy is So Bad That:
    I got a pre-declined credit card in the mail.
    I went to buy a toaster and it came with a bank.
    A truckload of Americans was caught sneaking into Mexico.
    CEO's are now playing miniature golf.
    The Mafia is laying off judges.
    If the bank returns your check marked "Insufficient Funds," you call them and ask if they meant you or them.
    Hot Wheels and Matchbox stocks are trading higher than GM.
    McDonald's is selling the 1/4 ouncer.
    Parents in Beverly Hills fired their nannies and learned their children's names.
    Dick Cheney took his stockbroker hunting.
    Motel Six won't leave the light on anymore.

April 26, 2010 at 4:33 pm |
  71. Richard McKinney, Texas

Not hardly Jack. I do not claim to be an economist but the way I measure the recession is by how many bags of groceries I get to carry out of the grocery store for 60 dollars. A year ago I needed a basket and a bag boy to push the bags to my car. This year I can carry all 60 dollars worth in 2 bags and the bag boy is standing on the street corner panhandling because he lost his job. Only the government thinks the recession is over. The rest of us know for a fact that it is not.

April 26, 2010 at 4:34 pm |
  72. Greg H - Minneapolis

Jack, the short answer to this question is NO! And it is likely to stay that way, unless I somehow come up with the winning numbers, like the recent Powerball winner from Missouri. But, at least I have my teeth!

April 26, 2010 at 4:43 pm |
  73. Peg from N.Y.

You can always make me laugh, Jack! My recession is far from over. My spouse is still awaiting a bonus and has taken a substantial pay decrease, with an increase to our health insurance. A family member is moving into our home. We had a yard sale over the weekend so we can afford to replace 2 leaky faucets and take Mom out to dinner for Mothers' Day. We drive a vehicle that can only be described as a "recession mobile" for 3 years and will for 1 more year. We pay the mortgage, cable, phone, etc. and still come up short each month so we consign and ebay. We have not gone out to dinner, a vacation, a movie or made regular purchases in atleast 3 years. Our oven died Labor Day and we have yet to be able to replace it. The barbecue grill died and an odd job bought that. We need the bonus $ to replace the stove. Somedays I am fine and others are very difficult. I could continue on but why depress you, viewers and myself! Here is hoping that the entire global economy improves sooner than later. I work at maintaining some semblance of serenity and warmth in our home as it is critical to have a safe place to fall at the end of each day~now more than ever.

April 26, 2010 at 4:43 pm |
  74. Michael Lorton, Virginia

Jack: Almost three million jobs were lost and the "housing bubble" and foreclosures are waiting to errupt. It is at a stand-still--and I fear that the trend will be downard rather than upward. Maybe our government should try bailing out the American people instead of Wall Street-–at least they would return most of it back into the economy.

April 26, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
  75. Steve

I think so..Its too bad that employment is what the experts call a "lagging" indicator..The money that was used to save the various enterprises, banks, insurance companies and the auto industry is beginning to return to the government coffers, retail sales are improving and inventories are dropping. My heart goes out to the jobless, as well as those who were victimized by all the scam artists that conned people into impossible mortgages..Hang in there folks, there are better days coming, and soon..

April 26, 2010 at 4:47 pm |
  76. Lance, Ridgecrest, Ca

Jack, the only recession that impacted me was when Congress so graciously cancelled all my cost of living raises, just before they voted themselves a nice 5+% raise for the next 2 years. Nice of them, huh? The rest of the impact from this recession will hit me next year when my Medicare fees and copays start increasing to the projected 3-400% over my present costs, and I still don't get any cost of living. The last shoe will fall, when Congress realizes they can't pay the bills without increasing my taxes and cutting my retirements to the point where they drive me into the world of welfare and food stamps. That is really something to look forward to, huh? Thanks Obama/Congress!

April 26, 2010 at 4:49 pm |
  77. Bill in TX

Jack,

Basic necessities rise in price.

Income decreases.

While we vote for those who take from the poor and give to the rich the majority of us will continue to suffer a falling standard of living.

April 26, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
  78. RichP, easton, pa

As far as spending being up, that is from people who held off buying until they absolutely needed to. Hopefully this time they actually saved the cash and paid for it that way.

April 26, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
  79. Remo, from beautiful downtown Pflugerville, Texas

Jack, as politely as I can say, "HELL NO!" Pardon my language, that is the most accurate answer I could give.

April 26, 2010 at 4:52 pm |
  80. Bizz Quarryville, Pennsylvania

The recession will not be over until the unemployment rate starts to come down. I do think we are coming out of the recession and will continue to come out. But with the severity of the recession which came close to being a depression it will take a little longer for that to happen.

April 26, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
  81. Ed's Kate

I'm not sure it is over but it sure looks like it is on its way. At least I hope so.
    The powers to be in Washington have got to work together to make it happen once and for all. NOW is the time, as the saying goes.

No more of this non-cooperation. The politicians have got to begin once again to act like grown men and women instead of like spoiled brats who get meaner by the day because they did not win the big prize.

It would also help to accomplish an end to the recession once and for all if the so called grass root movement folks who feel the only way to get their message across is to scream their lungs out and incite people, would just stop, take a deep breath and really listen to the wacky rhetoric they are pouring forth. It is heartbreaking how they are hurting more than they are helping the people of this country by their actions and words.

April 26, 2010 at 5:02 pm |
  82. Jurgen R. Brul

Hello Jack Cafferty and CNN friends,

No, the recession is not over,
    because our children are still living in crisis and under the poverty line!

Greetings,
    Jurgen R. Brul

April 26, 2010 at 5:07 pm |
  83. Brian (From Chicago)

I'm like you Jack, I was able to avoid the recession all together. Some professions, like the media, were just lucky I guess.

April 26, 2010 at 5:07 pm |
  84. Viv from NY

It is beginning .. We will have ups and downs and when people finally believe it is over it will be. All we need is the rich guys who got richer under Bush to spend their tax cuts instead of hiding it somewhere. Then it will be over.

April 26, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
  85. Thom Richer

Jack, I believe you know as well as I or anyone else who has worked all their lives to make it one month at a time that we have always lived in a recession and there is no "end" to our recession. Wealth, Jack, is for the rich and the rich experience recessions.The down in the dirt workers of America never really "get ahead" of the money game. If any ever do see an increase in income it is quickly seen to that taxes or fees or cost of living increases disproportionately to make damned sure that money never gets in our pockets. We judge an end of a recession by how much more money goes into the pockets of the wealthy, not how much goes to the workers. With the attitude of Corporate America and Congress that labor does not deserve reward, we will never be free of recession.

Thom Richer
    Negaunee, MI

April 26, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
  86. Jim Roanoke, Va

There are still people being laid off from their jobs where i live.And the people looking for jobs can't find them.So i just don't see it much different now, than it was say a year ago.

April 26, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
  87. Jim Z..Ft. Worth...Texas

Neither mine, nor most fellow citizens will never see their recessions end. It doesn't matter if we produce more, consume more, or save more, our overall financial security will always remain in jeopardy. Our wages will never keep up with inflation, our taxes will never decline, our health care costs will only rise as we age, and our wrinkled attitudes toward government will never smooth over, because there will never a majority consensus of those who legislate that react for the good of the citizen's as a whole.

April 26, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  88. Nancy in Michigan

Jack, my husband and I are not rich but we are in good condition in a state with the highest unemployment. Why you ask? Because we pay for what we have with cash, not credit and our mortgage is paid off. We also have a savings account. Yes, we lost money invested but it is coming back. There is something to learn here, I believe.

April 26, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  89. Scott Stodden

I don't think its over completly per say because in my eyes we have to be vigilant once this stimulus money runs out and see what's going to happen! Many economists are saying and I watch Sunday morning talk shows throughly but many are saying once the stimulus money runs out the economy isn't going to be strong enough to sustain itself because there wasn't enough money in the stimulus bill to cover the cost of the recession and that could mean big trouble when this money runs out! This is banks are hesitant on lending are there basically being forced to, this is why businessess are hesitant to hire, there all hesitant because they want to see how the economy is going to do after this money runs out! It could go positive and it could go bad we'll all just have to wait and see!

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

April 26, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  90. Jerry Johns Creek, GA

This recession will continue on for years to come. Job creation is a lagging indicator and indications are things are improving but what the news media and their staff statisticians seem to miss is the value or earning potential of the new jobs versus those that were lost. That is a bleak number. Ask any recent college graduate how they feel the opportunities in front of them are different from those five years ago. A patch only fixes the hole it covers, it does not create a new tire. What we need are new tires to get the economy rolling.

April 26, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  91. Michelle Warsaw, Indiana

Mine is just getting into full swing. My unemployment benefits have run out. There are no jobs. Rent is over due. I will be cutting internet, cable...already cut my phone. Soon will be homeless. I still love my land, but not to proud of what our government has done.

April 26, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  92. honest john in vermont

Where I live I don't see any kind of uptick in the economy. I read about. I hear the talkingheads on TV talk all about it but–I just don't see it. Kinda like UFO's.

April 26, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  93. Ralph Spyer

Over ?? we have 10% unemployment, banks are gonig under every day. The dollar is worth 50 cents, This recession will has just started, the government is broke and broken

April 26, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  94. Solitude

"Why do i have so much indipendence Jack? I retired! Why don't you?
    If all you can do, is feed your followers with anything, that keeps you on CNN. I am disalusioned to what it takes You have to get much more independant yourself Jack, if you want to stay employed . (So I am cruel,) Sorry..."

April 26, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  95. Jeremy D from Michigan

Jack, I worked very hard to get a apparently useless four year degree, owe about 150,000 in college debt – two years later – I live with my parents, can't get unemployment, can't even get a minimum wage job, and am not seeing much of the "change" I voted for. So no Jack, it's not.

April 26, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  96. Kenneth Wing

Neither the past or the present administration has done nothing or any thing to fix the immigration situation. I applaude the Arizona governor for taking action! Come November all incumbents in DC need to be voted out!

April 26, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  97. Allen in Hartwell GA

My personal recession ended when the stimulus money was released. Hopefully the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will wind down and allow Dept. of Energy/Corps of Engineers funds to be used in the US instead of flowing overseas to build structures that will never be used and airports that will just fall in disrepair.

April 26, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  98. GP California

No, My recession is not over! I am still out of work and don't see any jobs to appy for.

April 26, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  99. Greg, Ontario

It is for us. Mind you our government isn't baught and paid for by like yours so we are bound to fix the mess a bit quicker. Keep plugging Jack you'll get there.

April 26, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  100. Joe

Jack,

My employer lost their contract three weeks ago; consequently, I also lost my job; so for the last 5 years I have been going to school part-time to teach. Now I will have my Masters Degree this May, only to find out there are no teaching jobs in the majority of the regions I am willing to teach, or the pay is so low that it is just above poverty (in the south – $22K for a Masters Degree). My education cost me more than $60,000, so now I will likely substitute or/and drive truck. Yippee! Life is not so easy for those who are chosen.
    Joe, Binghamton, NY

April 26, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  101. John from San Antonio

this recession is the culmination of thirty years of Americans deferring to the experts and we let our economy slip away under the guise of being a service based economy. This is impossible and we will now have to face the consequences.

April 26, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  102. Bob

Jack: Americans should be frightened if the Feds enforce immigration laws based on our sad history of enforcement. The 1988 so-called "Immigration Reform" law (at which time there were an estimated THREE MILLION ILLEGALS) recognized the problem but said in effect – "nothing will be done to correct this mess". Today there are an estimated 12->20 million illegals due to the failure to take corrective action in 1988.
    Also remember how the administration of George W. chose to enforce immigration law by PROSECUTING TWO AMERICAN BORDER PATROL AGENTS while granting immunity to a Mexican thug.
    Let' all pray that the 2 legged termites in Congress don't take any action on immigration until sanity returns to the Beltway Bunch someday.

April 26, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  103. John

Well lets see. Five years ago I was making $150,000 a year as a consultant in the automotive business. I also owned an assisted living how business, two houses and was driving a new Mercedes. Then I got laid off, lost the assisted living home and both houses. After being out of work for 17 months, I found a job that nets me $2,000 a month. I live in a one bedroom apt. Shop at the 99 cent store, drive a ten year old car that has 118,000 miles on it and live pay check to pay check.
    Does that answer your question Jack?

April 26, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  104. C. Ward

The Recession is NOT over in So. California.
    My wife bought a pair of high end dress slacks for work at the Banna Republic for 50% off. That is why the "women" are back in the malls for the huge discounts.
    We have a long way to go in getting our people back to work; and into affordable housing. 2012 may be the turnaround date.

April 26, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  105. Terry in Chandler, AZ

I never experienced a personal recession. I have a more than comfortable annual salary. I live know just as I did when I was a few years ago when I was making much less. I live in a very frugal manner and always have. In six years when I retire I'll have a lot of money in my retirement fund. Then, I'll continue to live in the same frugal manner as I do now. If I really need (not want) something, I'll be able to pay cash for almost anything. Why? Because I planned it that way.

April 26, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  106. frankie

Yes I am doing a little better, thanks for asking.

April 26, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  107. Smith in Oregon

Jack, it'll take two successive President Obama terms in office in order to turn the economy totally around and erase the grievous and horrific Bush-Cheney wrecking ball and chain to America's economy. Perhaps by 2015 the recession will be replaced entirely by American prosperity.

April 26, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  108. Craig in Illinois

Jack, my recession started after the 2000 election of "Dubya" and I have been trying to recover ever since!

April 26, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  109. Michael in Scottsdale

No, and it will not take much to make it worse. Some examples are Gas hitting $3 plus, taxes going up, interest rates going up, health care costs going up. What is the chance of any of this happening?

April 26, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  110. Jason, Koloa HI

The media doesn't care about me personally, quit patronizing me sir

April 26, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  111. Tommy

Santa Monica
    As soon as NAFTA has been repealed, our economy will always be bankrupt. Perhaps the American people will learn that the unions are too expensive and so big business had to leave the country in order to survive. If we dump or re-examine the dysfunctional union system in this country and lose NAFTA, perhaps some companies will come back and start making things competitive again in the USA.

April 26, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
  112. adem, oakland califiornia

It will be over once my unemployement benefit ends!

April 26, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  113. Joe

Until I'm able to buy things I can't afford, then my recession will be over. Till then, I'll have to watch what I spend and plan ahead, that's not the American way I was taught.

April 26, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  114. Jerry Jacksonville, Fl.

Been retired for about five years so the recession never really bothered me. I did however see the effects of it on my children and how they have turned things around and got on with their lives and have in fact increased their earning power, job stability and quality of life.

April 26, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  115. steve- virginia beach

Sustained recovery isn't possible until the underlying causes of our woes are fixed. That hasn't even begun. Politicians won't even acknowledge any of the problems that began in the 20th century or ones they have to blame on their own party or President. Or ones that might cause them to lose votes such as the illegal alien issue, free trade, too big to fail, the power of special interests, Clinton's modification of lending regulations, NAFTA., outsourcing/insourcing jobs, etc.

April 26, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  116. Delia

No, it's not over! After almost 2 years out of work, I am now at a dead-end job making less than 1/2 of what I used to make. I have no retirement money left and no health insurance. Does that sound like the recession is over to you?

April 26, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  117. Liz, Los Angeles, CA

No it isn't, and since I'm two years older than I was when I lost my job at 63, it doesn't look like it ever will be. Age discrimination trumps experience, loyalty and graciousness - not to mention the ability to communicate without using foul language all the time - and that's a shame.

April 26, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  118. MJL from Davenport Iowa

Mine isn't, still unemployed, going on two years, extension running out. No insurance, husband makes too much to qualify for food stamps. Thank's Bush, you got us here.

April 26, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  119. Birddog in Mississippi

My recession was brief and my depression ended the day GW Bush left office. My job was saved thanks to the recovery act, and it doesn't matter that the stimulus money will run out – the job will remain.

April 26, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  120. Les Dodd

Business is booming for us. That is with the government doing nothing for us as a small business. I did get an SBA loan due to being a vet and could not have qualified otherwise. When is the government going to help the small businesses that create all the new jobs? We saw where all the billions of dollars went and how credit availability didn't change for the small business.

I can't declare bankruptcy like GM and beat up the employees and suppliers financially and sell 70% of the company to Uncle Sam. If I could I also could crow that I paid back what I owed early. What a crock.

April 26, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  121. nola lyons

Thank you for telling it like it is. That is the best most complete "tell it as it is" I have heard yet.
    Maybe the government will wake up but it may take more, such as Texas and Calif. to do what Arizona is doing. Perhaps there are more states feeling the same?

April 26, 2010 at 6:04 pm |
  122. Linda in Arizona

Somebody said above that their personal recession started in 2000 with the (stolen) election of bush. I have to agree with that. Nothing has been the same since.

April 26, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
  123. antoine

No way, only if mexico was an african decent country dont protect HER
    and we see where will we go. She the one and only country on the planet everyone want to migrate to, look at california, texas,arizona and many other states keep pendering to these spanics and will see dont sealed the boder we see how great this country will countinue to be.

April 26, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  124. Don in Nevada

Jack, is this a joke? Ben Bernanke just said a few weeks ago that our debt will equal the GDP by 2020. We have no reason to be optimistic.

April 26, 2010 at 6:08 pm |
  125. Judy - California

It may be over for some, but we remain cautious. My husband wants to retire soon, and unless our affairs are in order, he cannot do that. This crash was a bad one, and I prefer to take a "wait and see" approach to the matter.

April 26, 2010 at 6:08 pm |
  126. Ed from California

Since 2006 my recession has been over, I'm retired! My neighbors not so much. The guy to my left is renting his house out. The family across the street has filed for bankruptcy, so is the neighbor next to him. and the one next to the them, well that house was sold recently during foreclosure. My neighbor to my right is loosing their home do to foreclosure. We also have two neighbors who are not in foreclosure or bankruptcy, but they both work for the state and are furloughed three days a month, they may be in a recession.
    My recession, I never had a recession. My neighbors on the other hand aren't having a recession, just a depression. Let's just keep buying communist Chinese products, and keep employing cheap imported labor.

April 26, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  127. Paulette in Dallas,PA

Financially my husband and I are doing OK. We took a hit like everyone else and then it seems some things rebounded. The issue now is TRUST. I don't trust investment firms,banks,nor the government (local,state or federal.) I've been around a while and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and don't want to get caught with my pants down. I'm getting like my old Polish Grandmother was after the Great Depression. I'm trying to keep one eye on the ball at all times.

April 26, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  128. Joe G. (Illinois)

If it’s from the Government it’s free.. So let’s make everything part of the Government and let’s not be bothered by recession or whatnots.

April 26, 2010 at 6:11 pm |
  129. VCMates

I honestly predicted thatt there were going to be nationwide riots and looting a couple years ago. It's almost inevitable when millions are hungry and in distress. I was hoping to be wrong and still hoping to be even more wrong as time goes by. Here's my question:

What shape would we be in today if our government didn't play "God" with our economics?

April 26, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
  130. Mirsad K

Yes, I was unemployed for over a year, a month ago I was offered four jobs. I took one, of course, but those other three have gone to other people, which to me indicates that things are looking up.

April 26, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  131. Sarah in North Carolina

No. I'm still unemployed – can't find work anywhere. The over-50 population is going to continue to be extremely affected. The hires will be the 20-somethings.

April 26, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  132. Linda in Arizona

..."his weekly "mall check" he's seeing lots of women ages 25 to 45 shopping again... one sign of a recovery."

So, a bunch of bored women with low intelligence go out to the mall and shop, and that means the recession is over? I haven't set foot in a mall in 20 years. I can't afford to buy the junk they sell there, and if I need something, I buy it used or at a yard sale. Mall shoppers lead the recovery? All you need is a credit card to spend money at a mall. How about JOBS? Oh, forgot about those. Oops.

April 26, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  133. MacFab From Nacogdoches

Jack what do you think stimulus is? Temporary stimulant that is what it is. I am more hopefully than I am 15 months ago. Go USA!!!

April 26, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  134. Jacque (Oregon)

Just go grocery shopping and you will get my answer. The prices just keep going higher and higher at unbelievable rates. And that is only one example.

April 26, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  135. Dan from Green Bay

I'm not even sure if my recession has started. I am a college student graduating in May. Searching for six months now, I still haven't been able to find a job. Let's hope four years of education doesn't turn into four years of putting off unemployment.

April 26, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  136. John, Fort Collins, CO

With the uptick in the stock market , my retirement funds are on the mend, so my personal recession is hopefully "over". However, considering the millions who remain unemployed and the rapid decline of the middleclass I doubt the U.S. standard of living will ever return as it was. It is now very clear that all of us are creeping closer and closer to becoming part of just another Third World style economy .

April 26, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  137. Frank in Denver

Jack, I have three more weeks of unemployment left. My recession is just beginning....

April 26, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  138. James

Well I might not be a representative sample as a 20 year old college student, but my recession is certainly over. I just cashed in my Apple stock after watching it soar from the iPad and my marketing business that I started out of my dorm room is already producing enough business that I won't need to try to get a job out of college.

-Jim from NY

April 26, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  139. Tammy

If you are poor, your recession never really ends does it?

April 26, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  140. Bob

I was never in a recession. That's because I never spent more than I earned and I am not, by any means, rich.

April 26, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  141. Don Sullivan

Our recession is over

April 26, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  142. Hank in NV

Been unable to find full-time employment since December of 2008 and still can't.

April 26, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  143. Lisa S. from Saugus CA

Jack, my recession is definitely not over. I have been out of work for 22 months. I was able to obtain a brief job for 4 months of that but then got laid off again. I come from the dreaded mortgage industry of which not only hurt its clients but its employees by not following the already in place rules of engagement.
    We here in California have one of the worst unemployment rates of 12.6% when is Washington going to focus on creation of jobs and keeping jobs in the USA? All the other bills may be needed but if no one has a job we cannot pay there salaries.

April 26, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  144. S.S.

This recession is a sharp reminder that every action has a consequence. Our government's endless spending, our unbelievable deficit, and every dollar owed overseas will continue to haunt this country. Bring REAL, not just "banking", business back to the states and fix our budget! This recession will never be over, and even if we don't feel it anymore, the negative numbers don't lie. The only way we can fix our economy is if we can fix everything about it, down to the very last detail.
    -NYC

April 26, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  145. Charley B

My recession is definitely not over. I'm a building contractor in the Virgin Islands and business has come to a standstill for me and many others in the business.
    charley

April 26, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  146. Nathan Karpf

Our recession is far from over we find are selves cutting back more and more at home each month my wife's worked at the same company for 5 years and the keep cutting hours we are bringing in less each year even after raises and bonuses. We struggle to make rent and pay bills. Where oh where is our bailout I'd like to go on a vacation on the goverment ticket like the fat ats on wall st!

April 26, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  147. Jazz in Arizona

I think that the economy will get better as American are confident that they have a job and are able to provide for their family. If you listen to Republicans and the Tea Party they remind me of "Chicken Little" of reminding everyone that the sky is falling and that we Americans should put them back in office. Funny how prior to this administration that they done nothing and now they have the solution to the country's problem. The economy will be get bettter with time as most things do.

April 26, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  148. Kola (Carbondale IL)

You got to be kidding me Jack!! i still dont have job for 2 years now. i'll tell you what..my recession is not even near over. i think mine just begins. I need jobs jobs and jobs!!!

April 26, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  149. Don

I never lost my job, I took in a border to help offset reduced income though, my stocks are back to 92% of past peak but this includes my ongoing contributions. I am definitely still spending and consuming about $1500 month a less than before the recession started. I travel less and eat out less and buy fewer things. I think we are coming out of the recession though. Being down only 8% is much better than being down almost 50%.

April 26, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  150. Tom in Iowa

No. I lost my job about two years ago, there are NO jobs where I live and the closest jobs are too far to drive since my car is too old to get there. My house is worth much less than I owe so I cannot sell it and that means I cannot move and since I am making almost no money I do not qualify for any of those Gov. funds that are meant to help people like me. Seems ironic that many of us who actually need the help cannot get any help because we don't make enough to qualify for the help. I anticipate that very soon I will be without a place to live and there is no end in sight.

Tom in Iowa

April 26, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  151. Ken in NC

It's getting there Jack. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I'm close enough to know it's not a freight train. It took 8 years to get into this mess so I'm sure it will take at least 4 more years of "NO"
    Republicans (PUN INTENDED) to pull ourselves up out of this hole.

April 26, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  152. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Recession isn't over for me until I see an increase in my social security and retirement retirement benefit checks.

April 26, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  153. David A Whitaker

Hey Jack I have been in a recession for over 10 years. I am a disable veteran I am not complaining because it could be worse. Our society has lost all of these jobs, but everyone know that we'll never get those jobs back. Most of all of these individuals is unskilled worker, and has to be retrained before returning to work. So do the math, unemployment will be high for a while

David
    Martinsburg,WV

April 26, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  154. WinstonJ

No! No! No! At the rate the economy is recovering for me, I will not be allowed to even think about the manner in which I want to become accustomed to living. I hope it is better for others.

April 26, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  155. Jamiul Athar

My recession just started this month ( Aprill)

April 26, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  156. Isabel from Ann Arbor, Michigan

Sheesh, Jack, you are the king of doom and gloom these days. Despite the left-handed compliment to the Obama Administration by crediting the "Stimulus Bill" or ARRA with creating an upswing in the economy, you prefer to prognosticate and end to the economic recovery. Well, personally the investments in our retirement plan are looking a lot better, we were able to purchase a little place in Florida, and healthcare for our whole family is looking much more affordable. We have two kids graduating from college in less than a week, and that puts us in a MUCH better position as well. Will they get jobs? Lucky us again, they studied stuff that gets them jobs. I dare you to read my comments, as they hardly support the dire predictions you seem to prefer.

April 26, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  157. DaveVandalia, Ohio,

The economic woes seem to be stabilizing, but not for me. There are thousands like me, self-employed whose services have not been returned to 'normalcy' job levels. I feel all of us with no unemployment insurance are 'the forgotten ones'. Now figure out the unemployment numbers?

April 26, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  158. jeane

Never lost my job. Not underwater on house. No horrific credit card debt.. I live within my means and tell all the hell with Mr.& Mrs. Jones. I pray for all that are not in my posisition and for those who want to blame all their problems on the government.

April 26, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  159. Sher

I am underemployed, working part-time without health benefits from my job. However, I am making more per hour than many people working full time and am greatful. I am part of the statistic you cited (a woman, in the 25-40 age range) who signed a contract this past weekend to buy a car. However, I used up my life savings to do this since my 15 year old car finally gave up on me. I am not in a personal "recession", but I have a lot of student debt and am forced to manage my money well.

April 26, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  160. kevin from Dayville, CT

Over? Jack my recession started in 2000 when Bush stole the election and started us on the path to where we are now. My wife and I both lost our jobs when the company we were with for many years decided to close some plants including ours to consolidate and save cost/drive up profits.We both are working for less money while insurance cost contimue to rise and take a bite out of our paychecks.Property taxes continue to rise, grocerys continue to rise. Well , you get the picture.This has been a long time coming and unless our politicians decide to stop posturing to either stay in power our get back in power, this country is doomed to follow in the footsteps of greater economic powers like China.

April 26, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  161. Greg

Jack, I live a hundred mile plus from that dockworker and I find his enthusiasm remarkable. We have one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation. Our State is nearly broke. Our resident truckers still sit idle and yet the Docks are busy.
    I live in Deschutes county and the unemployment rate here is over 12%. I think our dockworker has been consuming water from the Willamette River.

April 26, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  162. Allan Lefebure

Jack,

For me, the recession never started. Call me extraordinarily lucky, but I still have my job of 20 years, my wife still has her job of 20 years, the company I work for is rock solid and is forecasting strong business ahead. My employer is paying for my graduate degree and I hope to see even better opportunities to come. Did the recession scare the crap out of me? You bet. I was, and I still am thankful that I have a job everyday when I go to work. I would NOT want to be looking for a job in this economy.

Al
    Camanche, Iowa

April 26, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  163. Stacy - Oakland, CA

Absoulely not Jack!!! Having just received my fourth unemployment extension, I see little growth for us Meeting Planners in California.

April 26, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  164. Richard Certo

Do I think the recession is over? Not until my son who was laid-off 9 months ago, and my daughter, who still can't find a teaching job despite her M.A. and MFT credentials, are back to work. These days college degrees don't matter. As long as some employers can work their current workers like dogs, under the veiled threat of layoffs, what are the chances of the already unemployed workers getting hired anytime soon? Zilch!

April 26, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  165. Debra Eisenberg

NO! I'm a Baby Boomer and just lost my sole consulting client – part of their latest reorg. Nearly all BabyBoomer family and friends are unemployed and struggling. No one wants to hire their "mother" and prefer to pay younger hires half what they'd pay us. We can start businesses due to credit crunches so we're all in the last throws of survival.

April 26, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  166. Joseph Prutzman

Are you kidding Jack? The stock market took all my retirement, no job, no money, no home My recession will never be over! Broke in Pa,.

April 26, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  167. Luci Robles

Jack,

My recession is not over, however, our family had to purchase a new vehicle becasue ours was totalled in January. We also had to buy some appliances because the ones we had stopped working. We are forced to stimulate the economy but our recession is not over as we have less income with more expenses. Don't be fooled by cold statistics that fail to look at the deep issues... Americans are struggling and are spending money because their old cars and appliances are not working, and the clothes no longer fit the children.

April 26, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  168. Bonnie Vent

My career in technology was off-shored to India to 2003. Affectionately known as the "DOT BOMB".

I started over with my own company in the entertainment industry. The bottom fell out when our beloved president said no more Las Vegas junkets or corporate excess. I lost 2 deals that day from companies that did not take bailout money but were scared of bad press. They remain scared.

BTW...Why can we not use stats from the Social Security Administration to determine unemployment figures. The current calculation is a formula that does not reflect real numbers. One thing I know 100% is that the rate is not 10% and people do not give up looking for work, they run out of benefits and are not counted again until they apply for welfare.

Bonnie

April 26, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  169. Greg Turman

Steel production ( basic manufacturing) has always been a barometer of the economy. Right now steel production has increased marginally with a few jobs added. Steel production requires huge amounts of energy. With cap& trade on the horizon there is reluctance to expand steel production due to potential job killing energy prices.
    China is the largest producer of steel in the world & growing.With cap& trade we will simply be unable to compete with a country that does not give a hoot about CO2 which is a green house gas that is required to grow stuff.

Greg Turman
    Dallas,Texas

April 26, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  170. Marlon C

When I see the houses in my neighborhood stop being sold for 50% less than what they were initially sold for, I'll admit my recession is over....

April 26, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  171. Debra Eisenberg

Gaithersburg, MD: NO! I'm a Baby Boomer and just lost my sole consulting client – part of their latest reorg. Nearly all BabyBoomer family and friends are unemployed and struggling. No one wants to hire their "mother" and prefer to pay younger hires half what they'd pay us. We can't start businesses due to credit crunches so we're all in the last throws of survival.

April 26, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  172. Etesot Obe

Jack:

Do you work for CNN? Have you not seen GM ads running on your network saying they paid off Ucle Sam's loan–"with interest, and five years a head of time".
    Yes, when GM talks, it means recession is over. And it must be because, Jack, you are still on the job.

Kitchener, Ontario
    Canada

April 26, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  173. christopher

No, but it has stabilized and that's the best I have seen the economy do in about four or five years and I finally have some optimism for the future...kind of forgot what that felt like

April 26, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  174. Wendy Maurice

No, my recession is not over. While my stocks are doing well, I am, after 14 months, still waiting for my industry to hire again on the vp level.

New York, NY

April 26, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  175. Rick

I still have my pretty good job & benefits and I'm still keeping my mortgage payments current. I paid off all the credit cards and car note and have no other debt. But I in this economy I am in no way confident that I will still have a job as we pass from month to month. Employer's are just not adding to their ranks with any encouraging numbers. We are still hearing daily about people getting laid off or job reductions (especially in the school districts around the country).
    I feel strongly that the Governments influence only can go so far. Until the same Execs and Managers that outsourced and elliminated jobs for the sake of a few more bucks give the word to start hiring again then this economy is going no where up fast. Hold on to your hats... the ride aint over!

April 26, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  176. Bob Hoeller

NO! Two years ago my net worth was $3 million. Today, thanks to Bear Stearns and those "funky" derivatives they conjured up, my net is $800,000. At 58 I will have to go back to work – but who will hire me. Goldman and the Boys?

April 26, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  177. Flyingwolf, Manchester NH

My recession is over-so far although I can't really be sure. I work for a call center, which is a company that takes calls for a lot of companies that advertise over TV & radio as well as through mailings and catalogs. For nearly 6 months I was on 30 hours a week. But for the past month I have been on 40 hours a week and the company is hiring more people. I feel that since the call center people are the canaries in the coal mine, the economy might just be improving, therefore putting an end to the recession.

April 26, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  178. Linda Richards

No, but only because I don't believe OUR recession is over. I was not personally affected by the crisis but I modified my spending and will continue to until I see what I believe to be necessary change. Main Street IS Wall Street IS Main Street and as it goes, so goes the economy. Every single bit of good news is examined and magnified as evidence of recovery that I do not believe can happen until and unless Wall Street is reformed. If it is not, it will fall and create a catastrophic tsunami on Main Street and Downing Street and all the other streets of all the other countries where our fates are intertwined...pretty much the entire globe. The Average Joe doesn't think he has to pay attention to what happens on Wall Street; that it's about people with money. It is and the money is ours.
    Linda in Woodbury

April 26, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  179. Nick, Longmont CO

Jack,

The recession is over for me when I get a job. Two years, 4 months and counting. For every IT job I apply for, 20 others are doing the same. And I am competing against H1B workers being imported and other jobs being sent to India. Washington declared victory over the recession, but for 18 million unemployed or underemployed Americans or more; the recession is going strong.

April 26, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  180. Henry Baker

No my recession is NOT over. For 10 years the price of everything has been climbing Food ,gas, heating oil, insurance while wages have continued to stagnate. Big business has been able to show record profits on the backs of the middle class and if we complain they move over seas or hire illegal imigrants and take advantage of them. However I donnot begrudge them (illegals) trying to improve their lot. Borders could'nt stop me if my family was hungry.

April 26, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  181. steve- virginia beach

I understand your question but really... how can the recession be over for any of us when 1/3 of us are unemployed or underemployed while costs continue to rise, job loss continues while our government passes job-killing laws and continues to spend like drunks in a bar, are poised to pass more costly laws i.e. cap and trade and amnesty/citizenship for tax dollar-guzzling economy-busting illegal aliens, and the perpetration of too big to fail. And almost 50% approve of that job performance. Any improvement is a rise before another fall as long as our government is perpetrating problems and creating new ones without solving any problems.

April 26, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  182. Rita in Illinois

Prices have gone up and for a family of 5 the monthly expenses have increased quite a bit while wages have not. We've had to put items on credit that we normally wouldn't so now we have gone into debt. Prices have stabilized at the higher prices and wages still have not gone up. It's harder to make the montly bills and our recovery will take a long time. No, OUR recesion is not over.

April 26, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  183. Alan

performing in a Broadway show right now, which is a hard enough job to land. As long as people keep coming to NYC and take in a show like the one I work at or any others we might have a chance at staying open a little longer. Maybe I could pay off my Amex before the show closes and save up a few months of rent.

April 26, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  184. Ravi

Though I have lost my job back in February, I do see spots of optimism which can fuel the start of an economic recovery. People are spending more, consumer confidence is increasing and some employers are starting to hire. In the end Jack, it's all about Faith, Patience, and Attitude. I have no doubt we'll get through this and by the way, is CNN Hiring? Just kidding.

-Ravi
    Cleveland

April 26, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  185. lynnej from NC

Our recession has never ended from the last one. When there is one job that makes barely over minimum wage and that job is cut from 36 hour weeks to 12-1/2 hours a week along with sickness and no health insurance, there will always be a recession.

The problem is two-fold. Most of the people out of work this time are the $100k people. They think they're too good for the $40K job. Then there are the human resource people. They have the power to hire. If they don't call you, you ain't working.

Until we go back to the old ways of doing things like lawaway and store credit, there will always be a recession for us little guys.

April 26, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  186. Frank

I see the polls, statistics telling me things are getting better and I must admit the anxiety and fears of late 2008 and all of 2009 are subsiding... unless you're a Tea-Partier who needs to flame the dying embers of our economic recession for reasons that are more self-serving than anything. I'm back to work but there's still a sense that we've only stopped the bleeding and unless our govt. doesn't stop dilly-dallying around with Wall Street, another self-inflicted wound could leave us comatose for years to come.

April 26, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  187. ds

Not yet however we paid down debt tore up cc cards.Have pretty much just the house note utilities and insurance Got rid of the second vehicle. Hubby is signed up for a long term contract but it seems the contract company can not give a firm start date
    As far as more spending goes not here. Thank goodness for savings.
    5 months ........Mostly what we see out there in programing field is contract only.... Not sure when that will change

April 26, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  188. Dale / Alabama

No, my recession is not over. In fact my job may go overseas at any time. My recession will be over when this country realizes you must have manufactuing jobs. Everyone cannot work for the government. Someone has to be middle class and pay for everything. My future is bleak and I am scared!!!

April 26, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  189. •BEVERLY-Mystic,Iowa

Thanks to President Obama, Americans are enjoying the biggest tax cuts in many years, with all kinds of breaks for small businesses, making homes energy efficient, etc., things are going very well for me. Everything is much better than a few years ago. Our taxes are much lower since this President moved into the White House, and even more importantly, we finally have health care, for which I would gladly pay higher taxes, instead of lower ones. Soon, the public option will be added, giving us even more choice than is possible under the current law.

Life is good, & it just keeps getting better, now that we have a savvy Administration that cares about us, & we have hope.

April 26, 2010 at 6:34 pm |
  190. Dennis / Missouri

For mainstream America, heck no. We have a long, long way to go. Of course the way this administration and congress our working, it's like they are going to do everything in their power to keep us in the recession or depression.

April 26, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
  191. wormstooth

I'm retired on a fixed income. My wife and I are paying off our debts as fast as we can, and will never use credit cards again. We will live within our means. If everyone does this, our entire economy will implode, and we'll have nothing but our land, and our determination to protect it.

April 26, 2010 at 6:41 pm |
  192. MJL from Davenport Iowa

Nope, Still unemployed after two years. No real prospects in sight, tooooo much competition. I will run out in Dec 2010 on my unemployment.

No job, no insurance, no money. Can qualify for any assistance.

Thank you Bush for all that YOU did.

April 26, 2010 at 6:42 pm |
  193. Gyasi Armstrong

Jack, My Recession just started I only have 3 more weeks of unemployment, and might have an interview with the Post Office as a causal WOW... Not Looking Good For Me At All.

April 26, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
  194. Sylvia

You ask "Is my recession over?" and as a small business owner in Florida, (I am a bridal and event florist,) I would have to say YES it is. We have as many events on our books this year as we had in 2008, and taking bookings into middle of 2011. It was a frightening time when the Sh___ hit the fan. We didn't book an event for 3 months, but last week alone we booked 6. I am very happy with the way business going.

April 26, 2010 at 6:44 pm |
  195. Bill

Where can I get my stimulus check? Seriously!

April 26, 2010 at 6:44 pm |
  196. MJL from Davenport Iowa

Sorry, ment to say I can't qualify for any assistance. My husband make $100 too much per month, Man is that Ironic.

April 26, 2010 at 6:44 pm |
  197. Donna H. in Wyo.

I was already retired and on a fixed pension when the economy went south, so I have been okay. None of us really know how bad things could have gotten had the GOP won in 2008 and continued their hands-off-our-economy- policies.I believe we would not be talking about recovering from recession but a major Depression right now.

April 26, 2010 at 6:45 pm |
  198. Sue

Yes, it is looking better everyday. Let's give our President credit for what he has done so far.
    It hasn't been but about 2 weeks that they were saying the stimulus was not doing any good. The GOP wouldn't give him credit even if everything they did was all straightened out.
    By the way, numerous jobs were shipped out of our country, by the previous administration. Let's put the blame where it should be.
    President Obama is trying very hard to get things fixed, it will take time. Let's give him the praise that he deserves.

April 26, 2010 at 6:45 pm |
  199. Bill, Kentucky, A Blue Man in a Red State

Yeah, I guess things are about back where they were for us. We're retired, though, and things never were really good so they couldn't really get a whole lot worse and I guess it didn't take much to get better.

April 26, 2010 at 6:47 pm |
  200. Bobby

I am in Vancouver, WA, across the river from the Portland longshoremen that say things are looking up. With nearly 15% unemployment on this side of the river, I don't share this optimism. If your not in insurance, health care, or Info Tech- you can forget about finding a job in this area. My recession isn't over. Thanks.

April 26, 2010 at 6:52 pm |
  201. Kenny

The recession has been over for a long time. For those that have not found a job for two years is unacceptable. Either move to another location, take a lesser paying job than your last job, and/or stop using the excuse of going back to school when there is no guarantee you will get a job just because you have a piece of paper.

April 26, 2010 at 6:54 pm |
  202. Jim Muxen

My recession is much better,too-–Just bought a new Chevy with
    72 months of 0% financing. Feeling much better about my stocks,
    as well.

April 26, 2010 at 6:56 pm |
  203. from broke michigan

Jack, we are from Michigan.
    Where are the promised jobs?
    All is we see is money being spent for stupid stuff.
    The economy isn't any better, "they" are lying,

April 26, 2010 at 6:59 pm |