April 20th, 2010

Illegal immigrants entering U.S. with criminal records

ALT TEXT

(PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

The people of Arizona are fed up when it comes to illegal immigration. And they ought to be.

Almost one in five of those caught trying to enter the state illegally from Mexico has a criminal record.

It's one reason why Senators John McCain and John Kyl are calling for 3,000 National Guard troops to be deployed to Arizona's border with Mexico.

They also want federal funding for an additional 3,000 U.S. customs and border agents, a double-row border fence, increased mobile surveillance and hardship duty pay for border patrol agents.

But it's not the only reason... at least for McCain. Can you tell he's in danger of losing his Senate seat this November? Where have all the clowns in Washington been on this issue since 9/11? Virtually nothing has been done to secure the nation's borders... because Democrats want the Mexican vote and Republican donors want the illegal aliens to work for them.

President Obama insists his administration is committed to securing the borders and has taken "unprecedented" steps over the past 14 months. What a load.

The fact is it's unlikely anything will be done about illegal immigration now that we're in an election year for the reasons laid out above.

But Arizona is taking measures into its own hands. The state Senate has passed a tough immigration bill that would force police to arrest people who can't prove they're in the country legally.

Critics say it would lead to racial profiling. So what? The state's governor has five days to veto the bill or sign it into law.

Here’s my question to you: What should be done about border security if almost 20 percent of illegal immigrants entering Arizona from Mexico have criminal records?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Sterling in Phoenix writes:
We in Arizona are tired of paying for health care for illegal immigrants; they clog our emergency rooms. This will do more to contain medical costs in Arizona than anything Obama or Congress have done.

J. in Arizona writes:
What's the big [Biden quote] deal? As a white Arizonan, I carry the state-mandated driver's license, a federally mandated SS card and proof that I carry auto insurance. I am required to show these things any time law enforcement requests it. The segment of society that is howling about the potential for some REAL immigration oversight is the far-left Latino whiners who don't want to be profiled (simply because massive numbers of their illegal voters-to-be might be asked to leave the country they have illegally entered).

John writes:
What do I have to carry to prove I'm a natural-born U.S. citizen if I travel to Arizona? Do I need to get a passport to travel in my own country? Can they arrest me if I don't have proof of my birth? I know drivers' licenses and Social Security cards prove nothing. How many innocent people will they stuff in jail just because they don't have a passport?

Aaron writes:
I am beside myself with frustration over watching previously prosperous neighborhoods being turned into border town slums by illegal immigrants who have absolutely no investment in this country. For them, this country is but one thing: a cash cow.

Sam in California writes:
I lived in a small town on the eastern slope of the High Sierra for 30 years. It was beautiful; we didn't lock our doors. There was no crime – until the illegals came to town. They are now over half the total population, living 20 to a house. Now there is crime, the hospital is about to go out of business because of the cost of providing care to the women who bear 5 or 6 children as fast as they can. It's horrendous. Illegals have taken advantage of America and it must stop now.

Filed under: Mexico • U.S. Border Security
  1. perry jones

the problem is no one will do what needs to be done and no mmedia out et will let the truth be told.... there are two ways to solve this problem ....
    go to the employers and use the laws on the books

or put a bounty on the illegals and lisence bounty hunters

perry jones
    council bluffs iowa

April 20, 2010 at 4:59 pm |
  2. Garrick Thomas

Jack – give McCain what he wants! Sounds like a "shovel ready" project to me and would help in national security- oh but wait, that would mean Obama helps the other party...so don't hold your breathe on any Federal help to Arizona!
    Gary from VA

April 20, 2010 at 4:59 pm |
  3. Michelle

Arrest the illegals that are entering this country ILLEGALLY. If they are stopped for speeding and can't prove they are here legally, then incerate them so they can't disappear and export them within 48 hours. Change the law so at least one parent of a child born in the USA must be a legal citizen in order for the child to receive USA citizenship. No free aid, tuition, medical care, food, etc. for illegal immigrants. Make it hard for them to be here so they won't want to come here. If a company is employing illegal immigrants, give them a big fine per illegal immigrant. And deport the illegal immigrants. Mexico doesn't give illegal immigrants a break, so why should the USA give their citizens a break. We cannot employ or care for the entire world. Maybe if they can't get everything so easily here, they will stay in their own country and make a difference changing things there. They like to march and protest for their rights here. Do it in your own country.

April 20, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
  4. fran

The United States is a nation founded on laws. If it is unneccessary to obey laws entering the country,what kind of adherance can be expected when thay are here. Illegal immigrants must be treated as criminals in order to preserve the democratic nature of our country. Otherwise it will decay into lawlessness...like Mexico

Chicago

April 20, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
  5. Dave Bennett

We should do exactly what Mexico would do if Americans started crossing without stopping to speak with their Border Agents.

April 20, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
  6. David from San Antonio, TX

The aliens all come here to work. So fine the employers large, painful fines that aren't just seen as a cost of doing business. If I pocket millions in profits by underpaying illegal aliens and get fined $10,000, I won't care. Make it hurt. The second offense they lose their business license and can't get another in the U.S., ever. If they can't work, most illegal aliens won't bother to come here.

April 20, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
  7. B.L. Chappell

What should be done? How about states take matters into their own hands like Arizona has done. We cannot wait any longer for the Federal government to act. For the amount of drugs, weapons and criminals entering the US illegally – you have to ask yourself why our government hasn't done the MAXIMUM to stop the flow – and guess what ? The answer isn't pretty.. CORRUPTION AND GREED extends farther up then we ever imagined. Wonder how long before the Mexican drug cartels are buying elections here? Or is THAT question a little too late in the asking?

B.L. Chappell
    Salem, Oregon

April 20, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
  8. Nurse Lisa

Jack – I guess we should have paid more attention to all we wrote on the Statue of Liberty: The tired and poor who want to breathe free sounds nice, but also welcoming "the wretched refuse of your teeming shore" is exactly what we seem to be getting.

Border security should become tighter, and penalties far harsher for those who transport or hire slave labor and illegals. Having a criminal record in Mexico is definitely bad for America when they get here, but crossing the border illegally instantly proves they're also criminals in the USA.

April 20, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
  9. Annie, Atlanta

We obviously don’t need more criminals. But I see a true moral dilemma based on the fact these people were here tens of thousands of years before our European ancestors took without asking. And how many of us can provide proof we’re citizens, if stopped, aside from a driver’s license? Moral dilemma meet slippery slope.

April 20, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
  10. Wendy

Deport them – what part of illegal is not understood?!?!?!

April 20, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
  11. Dan Mendez

Fot those of us living on the border with Mexico time is running out before we must take matters into our own hands for our own safety. It is going to be a mess if that happens. A tragic mess that could be avoided if these self serving idiots running this country would do their job and protect us living here legally, and add much needed agents and troops to the border. Currently the only advice our local police can give us is to walk around armed to the teeth and try and not make eye contact with people. What is happening to my country! Wake UP!

Dan Mendez
    El Paso TX

April 20, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
  12. A Chevallier

I am 100% for Arizona! Texas needs to get off their butts and do the same. We need to close our borders. There is a right way to becoame an American citizen. We need to stop with press 1 for English. If America goes back to the way our forefathers founded this beautiful country the aliens will speak english before they become a citizen. There won't be a need for other languages. I have been in other countries and you either learn their language our don't communicate.
    STOP ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION!

April 20, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
  13. Glenn H

I submit there are probably more people with criminal history already in Arizona and/or passing through the state for that matter. While I despise illegal immigration, my frustration increases during election season since that is the only time it becomes an “issue”. Had there been tougher legislation, especially after 911, there would not have been the 'illegal" workforce that built the houses for the housing boon that big business and banks profited from and we are now all paying for. Unfortunately it is as you stated, "... because Democrats want the Mexican vote and Republican donors want the illegal aliens to work for them." Mostly the latter...

April 20, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
  14. John

As a resident of Arizona .. I say let them come. Sure 1 in 5 has a criminal record, but what about he other 4 that are good, honest, hard working people who just want a shot at a better life. Imagine if your or my ancestors were turned away from Ellis Island, where would we be today? Let them come, let them work, let them live and prosper. Catch the 1 in 5 and send them back, sure it costs money, but how much money do our small businesses save by employing these immigrants at lower costs? It's all relative in my book. Give em a chance.

April 20, 2010 at 5:02 pm |
  15. Shane Mellott

That stat about illegal immigrants having a criminal record is inaccurate. Most of them have a record for illegally trying to cross the border. There needs to be immigration reform, not more soldiers and fences.

April 20, 2010 at 5:02 pm |
  16. Anthony in Miami

I think it's a simple answer, add border security and shore up the border. This isn't a left or right issues, it's a do what's right issue. People can't just come in the country just because it's America without some legal documentation and they can't become citizens without doing what's right to do. If we stop the partisan bickering and one side trying to make the President fail or not fail, we might get to an actual answer. Until then, the only answer you'll have is "No Answer".

April 20, 2010 at 5:08 pm |
  17. Brian

It is a problem and as usual we go around in circles. Though I don't agree with this legislation, I do agree that at least something is being done for better or for worse. Perhaps it will at last start a meaningful debate with real national policy to follow.

April 20, 2010 at 5:08 pm |
  18. Sam

As a Dem, and probably the palest white guy in MN (which is saying something), I tend to stay away from the illegal immigration issue. It's a loaded topic that lends itself to intolerance and racism. But there is a clear problem with illegal immigration that has been ongoing for many years with Arizona as the front line. I would encourage the current administration to explore creating new jobs as border patrol agents for our men and women of the armed forces as we pull out of the Middle East. This would provide vets with a good job and help to quell the current rate of illegal immigration. These officers would also need minimal training to adapt to their new role compared with other individuals. I hope someone else has a better idea than this, but it seems like a logical step in addressing the issue. Happy soon-to-be Cinco de Mayo!

Sam – Minneapolis, MN

April 20, 2010 at 5:08 pm |
  19. capnmike

If someone is entering illegally, that AUTOMATICALLY makes them a criminal, having violated our immigration laws. We need to 1) seal our borders, and 2) throw the illegals out. I am NOT "racist"...my wife is a Latina. And she is LEGAL...green card and all. (She's not Mexican, she's Venezuelan). People who want to come here can do it legally, as my wife did, as my grandparents did. We do not need criminals from other countries sneaking in here and becoming welfare recipients, dope dealers, etc. Sure, some of them are great hard-working people...if they are so great, let them build their own countries and make them better. Don't make a mockery of those who come here legally and go through all the form-filling, background checks and health exams and all the rest of it.

April 20, 2010 at 5:09 pm |
  20. Pat

Hey Jack!
    Have you ever been profiled? If not, then you don't know what you're talking about!! What proof do you have that "almost 1 in 5" entering the Arizona border have criminal records? I'm not saying they should be here illegally, however, I can guarantee there will be alot of innocent residents profiled and discriminated against!! I don't have a definitive answer to this situation, but this new legislature makes me sick to my stomach! I feel like our country is going backwards. What's next? Internment camps for brown skinned people unti we decide what to do with them. This is a national embarrassment and I for one am truly ashamed!!

April 20, 2010 at 5:09 pm |
  21. Ireadthis in Houston

Better late than never. Now the illegals are killing ranchers on their own property in AZ. Who cares who is up for re-election? Somebody needs to grow some and take matters into their own hands. Arizona is trying and I hope Texas follows. This is getting ridiculous.

April 20, 2010 at 5:09 pm |
  22. Kai

While I agree that we should get tougher on illegal immigrants, I have a question for Jack: what, pray tell, were the Republicans doing during their 8 years in office to help get this problem under control?

April 20, 2010 at 5:10 pm |
  23. Kyle

I support immigration reform and oppose illegal immigration and "amnesty" because our country's laws should mean something (just like so many other countries that would deport me if I entered illegally).

However ... arresting people who can't prove their legal status (on the spot I assume?) ... that sounds like some Nazi Germany stuff to me (Show me your PAPERS!).

Arrests should not occur without probable cause! If you have probable cause, then arrest and deport according to our nations laws.

April 20, 2010 at 5:10 pm |
  24. Doc Price

Jack,
    Here's an idea that could solve several problems. Let the military buy, lease, or borrow any land from the border to 25 miles out and use it for military maneuvers, training, live fire and combat training areas. No need for fences, border patrol agents, or liberal backlash from racial profiling! Anyone dumb enough to try and cross this zone would only have themselves to blame and it would be good training for our forces and hone their abilities at enemy detection, capture, and treatment of enemy combatants! Just a thought.

Doc Price, Al

April 20, 2010 at 5:10 pm |
  25. Patty Harris

Time is long over due to stop the illegals. I have been waiting fifty years for some one with good sense to be elected. I beleve stay in your own country & no anchor babies, no medical or any free service.
    Every country should take care of their own.
    The military should be on the borders with all authority to handle the situation just like in war zones.

April 20, 2010 at 5:10 pm |
  26. Rex McWhorter

I don't get what people don'r understand about illegal. That means it is against the law. The other thing is if you are not a citizen of the US you have no right under our consitution. I am for anyone who wants to be an American but it really bugs me that when you go into lower west side Phoenix it is like going to Mexico everything is in spanish. I can see keeping your family heritage but thats rediculous. If they are not here leagally then send them home.

April 20, 2010 at 5:10 pm |
  27. Josh P

Jack:

Sen McCain has the right idea. Deploy our National Guard to guard our nation against illegal immigrants. Why is it we all seem to turn a blind eye to illegal immigration? The first word is "illegal"! Good for the Arizona State Senate for finally taking a hard stance on this issue. If illegal Mexican immigrants can cross our border with no trouble, so can al Qaeda (you know, the terrorists that already attacked us).

April 20, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
  28. Finally

I think this is a very important step in the right direction. I am so tired of paying tons and tons of taxes to see it given to people who are here illegally. I live in queens, ny and everyday I come home from work at 6-6:30 pm and i walk by two parks filled with illegal immigrants playing volleyball. This is infuriating. Not only do they come here and not work, but they come here and have 3-4 kids (not paying any of the hospital bills), not work, and occupy the space that my kids should be playing in. Its all unfair and I am so tired of it. My commute to and from work is so crowded on the train because the system is overloaded with illegals who aren't supposed to be there. Enough is enough.
    Worst part is...they have kids they don't pay for...they don't pay for food, education..nothing....and they won't even learn our language. I applaud Arizona for taking steps.

April 20, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
  29. Sunny

Pretend America is something we value and treat it like we would if we cared; hire the best security company in America to give us a reality-based way to secure the border. They make a living securing our homes and banks effectively–hello!

April 20, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
  30. Lloyd Johnson

Border security should receive the funding and manpower that our follies in Iraq and Afghanistan do. I think it would be a much better use of our troops to have them patrol and secure our borders, interrupt the drug trade, and help safeguard our citizens than to put them at risk against implacable enemies who want us all to live in the 10th century under Muslem rule.
    Who knows, troops on the borders might even prevent a terrorist or two from making it into this country. I see nothing wrong in empowering law enforcement to require legitimate identification from those they might suspect of illegal behavior.
    lloyd Johnson
    Midlothian, VA

April 20, 2010 at 5:12 pm |
  31. BigBee

By its definition, illegal immigration into United States is CRIMINAL, whether or not the individual is branded a criminal by laws in his own country. We have our own supply of criminals in U.S. and do not need to import more. All reasonable means, including those proposed by Arkansas, should be used to apprehend and address the issue of criminals within our borders whether or not they are from Mexico or are native-born citizens.

April 20, 2010 at 5:12 pm |
  32. Jou

No, under no circumstances! If they have committed a crime in the country they are from, the chances of them committing others the odds could be there!

Jou
    Apple Valley, MN

April 20, 2010 at 5:12 pm |
  33. Joe, LA

For this question, it may seem obvious to simply close the border, Of course, all people wanting to enter this country should go through the legal channels, where those who have criminal records would need to be scrutinized.

The problem is that promises were made in 1986 to "fix" this - amnesty for those already here (3 million at the time) and beefing up security. Well, amnesty happened but security didn't, leading to where we are now (10-15 million illegals)

You can now see why some of us don't want "comprehensive immigration reform" - it will be a repeat of 1986 and, 20 years from now, we'll be dealing with 30-40 million illegals.

Fool me once.......

April 20, 2010 at 5:12 pm |
  34. steve boeder

Contulations Arizona on immagration reform! I would like to take a step further by introducing a bill for law enforcement to arrest everyone that look like they may be of illegal European decent. These people have taken all our jobs.like, CEO's of the banking industries and such. They have poluted ore air,land and water ways,etc. Let's send them back to their respective countries now! Thoughts...?

April 20, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
  35. Sharon

I'm fed up with illegal immigration. I have no problem with legal immigrants, my grandma emigrated here – legally – many years ago and I fail to understand why people here illegally aren't prosecuted. I have no respect for people who come here illegally and no acceptance of their excuses. I realize most are just looking for a way to earn a living but why can't they do it legally? I don't support any type of amnesty, I support sending people back to where they came from. I feel for families that may be torn apart, but they made that choice when they came here illegally. I don't think their kids should get a free ride, I'm sorry for those kids who can't go to college because of their status – but blame their parents, not the US. Secure our borders & send people back. That's my opinion.

April 20, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
  36. Jack - Lancaster, Ohio

Jack:

I think the percentage is just about right. Is that not at least the value of not-yet-prosecuted candidates running for public office? What should be done is that these criminal invaders should have to stomp grapes for Nancy Pelosi then returned to Mexico with a bottle of her wine and an enthusiastic thanks for the vist ! This is known as free trade.

April 20, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
  37. Chad from Los Angeles

Build a wall, and enforce it. A wall won't keep everyone out, but it will make enforcing the border a lot easier, with fewer resources needed. Securing the border now, without an effective barrier is a joke. The technology is available. Dems won't lose that many votes for just securing the borders, voting citizens can't blame the gov't for keeping illegals out.

April 20, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  38. JJ

1. Step up workplace raids and fine the companies who hire illegals $10,000 for each illegal found.

2. Pass a law that an illegal employee is entitled to 500% of whatever he was paid if he can prove he worked illegally. The employer will have to give the illegals all the back pay when he/she leaves the company, but only if the illegal turns himself in and returns to Mexico. This will urge employers to stop hiring them and allow the illegal to go home with a nice bonus at the expense of the criminals who hire them.

April 20, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  39. Michael n Seattle

Make them senators of Arizona or better yet the Governor

April 20, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  40. Marion/Birmingham

When one is caught deport them with a politican escort. Then something will be done to curb the flow.

April 20, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  41. B Main

Rebuild the Berlin Wall at the border complete with guard towers, minefields and shoot to kill orders. Make E-verify federal law and continue workplace raids. Fines, jail and business closings for those business owners that don't comply. Deport any illegals picked up by law enforcement. Anchor babies don't count if either parent was illegal on the date they were born. Anchors can come back and be a citizen if they have a job here and are 21. Legal Americans need jobs. Illegals don't.

Wichita, KS

April 20, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  42. Parker Thompson

It may be too late as much damage has been done, it seems hopeless to many of us. May God bless the United States of America.

April 20, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  43. Mike from Springfield

Jack, it is called illegal immigration because if is a violation of U.S. Law to enter the country without permission. Adding more laws does not mean a thing if they are not enforced. The border needs to be more stringently controlled, businesses who hire illegals need to be more aggressively prosecuted, and those found to be in the country illegally should be sent back to Mexico. If they come back a second time and are caught, they should be tried on federal charges for breaking the law, jailed, and then sent home again. And we should bill the Mexican Government for any costs they incur while they are here illegally (medical, judicial, transportation, etc.) Maybe that will get them to keep a close eye on their side of the border, too.

April 20, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  44. John, Minneapolis

Afraid of racial profiling? You don't see too many blonde haired swedes sneaking into this country.

April 20, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  45. ricardo benitez

1 in 5 have criminal activity, but the other 4 dont. we need these illegal residents because then no one would work the fields, clean the restrooms, and pick up the trash. lets face it the majority of these people are the only ones who work these jobs. i hate it when americans say, they are taking away our jobs. if you dont want your jobs taken away then get up from your couch and go get those jobs. most americans just like to complain about everything.

Penitas, TX (deep south texas)

April 20, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  46. jim Blevins

Do you feel a twinge of guilt when you see the Statue of Liberty?

Jim, Craig, CO

April 20, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  47. Mary Lutz

Perhaps John McCain might be president today had he taken the
    stance in 2007 that he has now has because of criminals entering this country.

April 20, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  48. kenneth

in north carolina thety all have records ,but get 95% of the work. we need a fence here,so ino its bad there

April 20, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  49. Ted

i'm with you on this one Jack. I think this government has dropped the ball too long on illegals. No one, including Obama, has the cahunas to do anything about it. They would rather sell our country down the tubes than loose their precious jobs in Washington. The illegals in this country alone puts a substantial strain on our country's budget. Just think of the billions spent on health care, education, and fincancial aid for these people.

April 20, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  50. Cecilia

People who came over to Ellis Island came here LEGALLY, John. That's the difference. LEGAL immigrants are welcome to come, work hard, and make a better life for themselves.

April 20, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  51. Larry

Born in Southern calif 53 years ago. Married thirty years. White, Very Liberal, Proggressive. Southern California is just another part of Mexico Now. Just about the only Thing I agreed with The "Late Lou Dobbs" about.

April 20, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  52. Louise

As a resident of Tucson AZ I am completly fed up with illegal immigration and the expanded costs to our state for education and health care for illegals. The insanity of doing nothing to avoid the false bogeyman of "racial profiling" must stop. The illegals are taking advantage of us and must marvel at our stupidity in not enforcing our own laws.

April 20, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  53. Andrew

Pass the LAW! Good for Arizona! You are right, Democrats want the mexican vote and republicans want cheap labor.

Finally, someone gets it on the nose!

April 20, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  54. sayitloud

Have you been to California lately.

April 20, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  55. Dave W

The Arizona State senate needs to make it more accessible (not easier) for these illegal immigrants to obtain citizenship. If the senate is any good at what they do then they should try to improve the current system rather than resort to higher walls, or national guard involvement, both of which have been ineffective in the past.

April 20, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  56. Sharon S

What gets me is they are "illegal" what does that word mean? can they actually vote???? If it was us going into Mexico we would rot in jail for years in far worse conditions than our jails! I say send them back with some kind of chip or exploding ankle bracelet so if they try again... "boom" one foot! NOT really but something needs to be done before we all are homeless and the government will be overthrown and will be living in a war torn country. Maybe they'd leave on their own then. Definitely need to inforce the laws we have already and they should have to do it legally like everyone else.

April 20, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  57. Pat Stamm

Hi Jack: The borders should have been closed after 9/11!!!!All troops should be brought home and guard our borders. Az is right on with their bill. All states should do this. No help for illegal aliens,no jobs,homes.health care,schools and they will go home to work for better conditions in thier own country. They have broken the laws of this ciuntry and they have to pay the price and held accountable!!!!!!!.They have kids here to cause another problem!!!!!!

Thanks

April 20, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  58. Mich Gavor

How about taking care of Americans and law abiding "Legal Permanent Residents" before worrying about the endless waves of "illegal aliens" trying to jump the line. I'd say once we get our house in order then we can worry about saving the world.

April 20, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  59. Mary

I'm glad to hear that Arizona is the first to make it harder to enter the country illegally. I've read comments about "racial profiling" in other stories about this issue. If someone is in this country legally, then he should have no concerns about verifying his status. If the police are worried they might be accused of profiling, they can just run every person they stop, regardless of race. That should shut them up. Can't accuse them of profiling if they run every person. I'm tired of seeing illegal immigrants flooding the border. I have no problem if they enter the country legally and contribute to their community once they get here. There are so many Mexican gang members in our country now that we must do something to stop it.

April 20, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  60. George

Yes, let us suspend all of our civil liberties to blindly enforce illegal immigration laws that don't work. Doesn't the Arizona law look a lot like the Patriot Act put in place by Bush Jr.? I'm sure feeling deja vu.

April 20, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  61. Scott Haines

Jack, I live in Southern Arizona. We are being overrun by illegals pouring across the border with Mexico. The Federal Government has done nothing to keep our borders secure and our citizens safe, as illustrated by the recent murder of the rancher in Arizona. I am happy that the State Legislature has the nerve to try addressing this problem. Governor Brewer needs to sign this into law.

Along these lines, I heard some Catholic Priest say that the church will not abide by this 'unconstitutional' law. Since churches have become that political, it is time to solve our country's financial woes by removing the old, ridiculous church exempt status. I bet these clowns would change their tune......

April 20, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  62. Mike

I am an immigrant myself from India can be easily profiled as an Mexican. I am fed up of illegal immigrats. I came to this country went through graudate school and got to live the American dream. I paid my dues. Why should I support illegal immigrants with my taxes irrespective of whichever country they come from? Do I want drug mafia fighting wars in my backyard ? I do not mind being profiled and stopped and asked to prove my identity if that helps to stop illegal immigration.

April 20, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  63. Jerry in Marquette, MI

Jack: These illegals are sneaking into the U.S. wanting to work, right? Well, put them to work. Arrest them, place them into chain gangs, and let them work the fields in Arizona with the farm owners footing the expense of incarcerating them.

April 20, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  64. OS Santa Cruz, CA

Many Americans are in dire financial straights. MANY are in desperate need of health care. Would those who support rights & services for illegal immigrants extend the same kindness those Americans if they broke into the supporters' homes and robbed them blind? Both gain access illegally and are in need. Somehow I beleive it would only be the Americans who would wind up in jail while the illegals walk away with every thing they need provided by American tax dollars.

April 20, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  65. Clarissa

Kudos to Arizona for taking definitive steps to curb the flow of rampant invasion of Mexican citizens (criminal or otherwise) into America.

Most of the southwest was once Mexican or Spanish territory and many illegal aliens feel it is their right to enter the U.S. illegally!

Something must be done at the federal level as well as state levels to turn illegal entry into a crime punishable by more than deportment, which most illegals view as simply a free ride home to visit their families.

April 20, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  66. Doris Lauter

We should send the national guard and troops to guard every inch of the border, and have a warning shot to deter them. We should also weed out all the illegals standing on street corners looking to take work from Americans, and raid businesses to weed them out. I am sick of all the crime and gangs and drugs coming in here by people with Spanish names. Stabbings on a daily basis here seem to be the weapon of choice for them. Any honest person would go through legal channels
    Doris
    Ojai, california

April 20, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  67. Valeria

Nothing has been done because the governent has decided not to I see and I am witness to that many illegals fly within the U.S lets not forget that the terrorist from 911 were here Illegaly. Illegal people are here to work as long as the whites are willing to pay low wages the hispanics are willing to work. John McCain is just doing this to save himself now that he lost the presidential election. By the wat where are the statistics coming from because im sure that you dont stop every illegal that crosses and check their " criminal records" therefore statistics cannot be accurate. I am a proud supporter of the Dream Act. This country is going through economic crisis and bringing more "security" to the borders is going to cost millions then to just grant an amnesty to those who meet the requirements.

April 20, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  68. steve- virginia beach

Everything possible to restore law and order without rewarding those who defy our laws... complete an effective fence, more border agents, national guard, and better background checks for agents. We also need to enforce our laws- it's impossible for illegals to work in the US without committing ongoing crimminal offenses such as identity theft, document fraud or tax evasion. We also need preventative measures such as mandatory eVerify, cross checking the Social Security and IRS databases when employers hire, and enforcing mandatory real ID to take away the magnets that attract illegals and enables them to stay. In short, return to being a country that's based on the rule of law and the notion that noone is above the law.

April 20, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  69. Daniel

The federal government needs to pass immigration reform, now. Once we know who the undesirables are we can deport them. Don't penalize peolple who are simply trying to better themselves. Deporting 12 million people would be financially prohibitive and logistically impossible.

April 20, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  70. Emilo Z.

All the anti-immigrant sentiment on this post and around the country is similar to that of Germany in the 1930's. All people deserve the right to live whether they happened to be born in the U.S. or not. People need to remember that we live in the wealthiest nation in the world yet people here want to be selfish and blame the most underrepresented groups for all the problems. Wake up and realize that we are all in the same boat just trying to survive.

April 20, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  71. Larry Boston Massachusetts

Fed up? To the gills Jack.

Our elected leaders act like deer in the headlights when this comes up.; They are unwilling to enforce the immigration laws and deport the 30 million illegals, and they are unable or unwilling to change the law. In the meantime we have 30 million people contributing no taxes to this nation and yet they use our schools, health care system hospitals, police, and everything else. On top of this 46% of legal Americans pay NO federal income taxes. This is becoming a house of cards.

Where have all the strong politicians gone?

April 20, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  72. dave

Don't spend so much effort worrying about immigration. We have plenty of REAL problems to deal with.

April 20, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  73. Pete

As a left wing LEGAL unemployed immigrant who paid THOUSANDS of dollars to stand in line and legally enter the USA I would PERSONALLY help round up every last illegal immigrant and deport them. I have been here in the USA around 10 years, I was laid off 2 months ago from a great job I had for the last 5 years, now a Mexican is doing my job. He can hardly speak English and the word is he is illegal.

God Bless the USA

Cafferty is the best thing about CNN!

April 20, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  74. Eric Obame

If twenty percent are criminals, it means that 80 percent of them aren't. Why simply focus on the small number?

The vast majority of immigrants come to America, legally and illegally, for the same reason that immigrants have always come to America: the promise of a better life.

America, for better or worse, is still the land of opportunity–the land of the free–the home of the brave. On the Statue of Liberty, there is written "Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to be free...". "Stay out" and "Get out immigrants" are not on it.

April 20, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  75. Rich

I also live in Arizona. I agree completely with Jack's comments that, for their own reasons, each political party has abandoned American citizens and legal residents.

Illegal aliens use hundreds of billions of dollars a year in public services they do not pay for. Border states cannot afford this flood of people sucking up public resources provided for citizens and legal residents.

A recent study that said half of illegal aliens have white collar jobs puts the lie to claims by the US Chamber of Commerce and unscrupulous employers that "illegal aliens are only doing jobs Americans won't do."

The primary beneficiaries of illegal immigration are employers who use them to undercut the wages and benefits of American workers and the oligarchs in Mexico who rejoice that people dissatisfied with their lives sneak across the border rather than try to change their own country.

April 20, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  76. Kenneth, Idaho

Jack – I have never heard a more true set of comments than what you said on the illegal immigration issue. The Federal government has dropped the ball and because of this the State of Arizona must act. While I don't think the law will pass judicial muster, it has sparked some much needed debate.

April 20, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  77. jose jimenez

wow a tough law yes.. it just goes to show how racist this country is. youre only going after the hispanic person there. what if they cant show papers.. and they are us citizen will they be able to file suit for illegal imprisonment. how do you know that 20% are criminals.here we are arresting people cause they cant prove they were born here.. wow thats calling the kettle black. we have a president that wont show his birth certificate. and has the Govenor of Hawaii seal it. whats the difference. from what i have seen and heard its just a live birth .. doesn't say he was born here. why are we not looking into this. but you know we do have a racist country.. we will always be this way.

April 20, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  78. Wayne from New Brunswick Canada

Time for the U.S. and Mexico to amalgamate and eliminate the border. Make Spanish an official language. Send the military in to clean out the drug cartels. Get the government straightened out. Then Canada can join and the new country of North America can compete in the global green economy. Of course that would require us to forget our petty differences and have some vision for the future; good luck!

April 20, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  79. John

They may come in illegally, but they all have "papers" i.e. fake ID, SSN. How is that possible? I don't hear of 14 million cases of stolen identity. The reason the niether party does anything is because these workers all pay into Social Security and Medicare and never collect on it because they are using phony IDs. Wake up! Have the IRS be able to talk to the Social Security Administration and ICE, and this would all go away. By law they can't because of privacy issues. Why is that? Because the politicians want it that way and think the rest of the country doesn't know any better.

April 20, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  80. Jarrod Rager, Greeley, Colorado

Who are we in the USA if not a migrating people? Our heritage as a people is one of motion, the freedom to go and come as we please. When considering questions of citizenship, legality, and process the crucial point must remain our understanding of human liberty and autonomy. I am not a policy maker and I don't know all of the intricacies of immigration, but what I do understand are the excesses and irresponsibilities of the current system. We are losing our identity as Americans as we cede our civic intelligence for public fear.

April 20, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  81. Kevin

In Oklahoma we saw a decline in the hispanic population once a tough law was passed. The same old ACLU, descrimination crying organizations screamed loud of racial profiling. Who cares? This has to stop and the Federal Govt is going to do little with the ACLU and Trial Lawyers who back this WH. It's time States take this into their own hands and force DC to get on board. Not only do criminals from the south come, but those who are running from them. It is also easy for others like Al Quieda and other Terriosts and Gangs to infiltrate our borders. I am all for helping people who help themselves, in fact our church helps a town in La Pesca, MX build homes, holds med clinics, and support a church. They are happy people who want to stay there. DC is so out of touch and control, it's the reason for TEA party like support, but more people want Our Govt to respect and listen to the People, and now we know, We must do this ourselves, from local and state level to get results.

April 20, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  82. Aquadave

I can't blame people for coming to the USA, but we must find a way for them to enter easier and of course LEGALLY. Many are hard working people trying to make a living and probably would go through correct legal channels if offered the opportunity. Now that the problem has grown so large there is no choice but to block the borders until we have resolved the issue of the millions here now. If it means sending a few back that cannot stay on the right side of the law than we should send them back. We can reopen the borders after these issues are resolved.

April 20, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  83. Ken in NC

Send the “Almost 1” caught with the criminal record back with the “Little Over 4” that were caught illegally entering Arizona.

April 20, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  84. Pamela holt

Al. We have more to worry about from these criminals then we do from the taliban in Afghanistan. Look how many soldiers we have there . We need to bring them home and secure our entire borders. I am really curious though Jack! Where did the figure of 20% cf the illegals having criminal records come from? Doesn"t that mean that that's the only ones that have been arrested? Imagine how many more are out there, that they havn"t arrested. At least the republicans are moving in the right direction, the peoples direction. Let"s only hope it"s not just politics as usual. We all remember well , that John McCain was all for going along with the dems on illegal immigration reform. Better scratch our heads!!!!

April 20, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  85. Boarder Patrol

Close all of our boarders and don't allow anybody in our great country!!!

Wait a minute......isn't that what the Indians used to say?? Ha!

April 20, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  86. jimbo

I have nothing against Mexicans I've found the ones I've met to be nice, but. Now that our unemployment rate it makes no since to keep allowing more to come into our country. In fact our immigration policy should be tied to our unemployed rate. Also any immigration policy that doesn't end the anchor baby problem is really no policy at all, basically just kicking the ball down the road instead of doing their job in Washington. P.S. I live in Arizona

April 20, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  87. Mike

This is easy "enforce the law" Tatoo a number on thier forehead and send them home, this way it will be easy to identify them tomorrow when they are back in the U.S. Racial profiling should be the rule of the day " if you are not a U.S. citizen and you can not speak english then go home and stay there "

April 20, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  88. Joan

Jack... The people of Arizona are sick and tired of putting up with this problem. Our representatives in Washington have done nothing over the years. Illegals steal our cars, rob the people cause numerous accidents and bring over the border loads of drugs. Every week a "safe" house is raided full of illegals and garages filled to the ceiling with drugs. You take your life in your own hands driving from Tucson to Phoenix because of the many accidents transporting illegals in vans trying to out run the police. The vans have roll overs killing and injuring people that have to be taken to our hospitals. Just a couple of weeks ago one of our ranchers on the border was killed by an illegal. ENOUGH is ENOUGH. Senator McCain NOW wants to put the National Guard on the border. After all these years. It is election time for the Senator. Just figure! After 27 years in Washington he wants to do something to stem the tide of illegals!!!!! He never hesitates to vote for millions to go to the people in Iraq. All we want here in Arizona is a protected border.

April 20, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  89. Jeffrey

I always thought America was a land where people were assumed innocent until proven guilty? Yes, something must be done to correct our immigration problem, but Arizona's proposed bill jeopardizes our very Constitutional rights. So, because someone speaks with an accent or looks Hispanic, they can be asked to prove their citizenship.

Jeffrey
    La Jolla, CA

April 20, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  90. Joanne Hamilton

Election year or not election year now is the time to act and get something done . Get the administration at every level to act collectively to plug the Arizona border. This will set an example and the effect will be domino in all those border states. Electrified fencing, spotlights, non-stop survellience, shoot if necessary -not to kill, but to force immigrants back, and if they get through, get them where ever they may go, process them and toss them back. Threaten to install tracing bug in their ear;, and publish names in newspapers both sides of the border.

April 20, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  91. Tucson Bob

Arizona (Border Patrol) sends tens of thousands of illegal’s back to Mexico every year but they keep coming back, sometimes 2 or 3 times in the same day. The great wall is a joke because unless you want to live behind something like the famous “Iron Curtain” with machine gun nests every hundred yards or so it will never succeed. Not as long as the situation in Mexico remains unchanged.

Hell, most of the illegals are much more ambitious than our legal resident derelicts who sit around with their hands out on street corners. Maybe we should send one derelict to Mexico for each illegal caught and then put the illegal to work.

April 20, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  92. Jan - Lancaster, PA

Entering the US illegal IS a criminal offense, regardless of their past record.

McCain was all for amnesty for the illegals at the beginning of his presidential campaign. It was only after his campaign tanked because of his position that he started responding to the public outcry by saying "I hear you". Not, responding with legislation, resources and action that would fix the problem. It is just more of the same, ... bending which ever way the wind is blowing during campaign season then forget about it once the elections are over.

Am really tired of the "half-assed" responses on all of our country's serious problems: Border security, economy, energy, employment, financial reform, healthcare, etc. etc. etc.

April 20, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  93. Michael

Jack,

I thought news was supposed to be unbiased, but at least to lambasted both progressives and conservatives on this issue. The problem with the AZ law is, I don't want a some police officer approaching me because I may fit some mold of illegal immigrant in his eyes. I certainly will refuse such a request and bring up civil charges against both that officer, the city, the state and if need be the federal government.

My family helped build this country from before its inception, and I refuse to allow their sacrifice be in vain. There are real ways to tackle the immigration issue and overtly racist laws are not the way.

"SO WHAT" while funny IS NOT A VALID ANSWER JACKY.

April 20, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  94. Olu in Canada

Jack, so what?...I mean so what a deceit! As sincere as I want American borders secured; it's obvious John is calling for this in deceit all because its a tough election year for him...how about securing the border, and finding a decent approach at addressing the case of those already in illegally; racial profilling will not do anyone any good...why don't we ask those calling for these how their fore-fathers came here, be they black or white...how long isn't a justification for how legal...

April 20, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  95. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Build a prison at the border and put a neon sign up that says "vacancies illegals welcome".

April 20, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  96. Susn

As long as there are companies in the U.S. who will hired illegals, no wall is going to keep them out. Focus on the companies using them for cheap labor.

April 20, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  97. rik

Where are your Paperz? You look Latino, should you be stopped? What if you are out on a run and don't have your id? Jail is what you deserve.

If you dont think so, it doesn't matter.

What if they aren't criminals? If we haven't caught them, how do we know they are criminals? Where do those scare tactics statistics originate. Sounds like Death Panels tactics redux.

Let Arizona fund the increased manpower needs. States rights all the way

And by the way no medicare for fat tea partiers. Take responsibility for your health and come back later.

Where are your paperz

April 20, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  98. Brian Macklin

All our borders should be controlled 100%. Illegal aliens of any nationality should be rounded up and deported, PERIOD!!!! I have no problem with immigration as long as it's done properly. People of past times used to come to this country to be American Citizens. It seems that in these times, people come here to be just another nationality living in America. That is just wrong; if you don't want to come here legally, you don't want to learn our langauge and respect our culture and traditions, then you need to go back where you came from. I used to be a police officer in Texas and we used to arrest folks for being illegal aliens, of course that was before Jimmy Carter; we need to go back to that practice.

April 20, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  99. Robert Smith

Well Jack,

I see where you stand on this subject and I would have to say that I would have to disagree with you. How do you sit there and think that it is "the right thing to do"!, If people are going to be racially profiled. Maybe you have forgotten but the only people who really "belong here " are the Indian Americans. Are you an Indian American? To answer your questions I know many who have come to this country to help their families and they are not CRIMINALS.

April 20, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  100. Kevin

What this country needs is a biometric National Identy Card. We are half way there already. It's called a Draft Card. If women were also required to register, we could determine who actually belongs in this country. It may cost a lot of money but would also employ a lot of Americans presently out of work. We have the technology available , but not the political will or common sense to do so.

April 20, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  101. darrell jones

we all should setp back take a deep breath and relax...what is needed is to reform applying for resdient status...it cost way to much money to apply to much paper work....let them apply pay the fee if rejected send back thier money just don't say no and keep the money!!! also the election year we all should vote independants to house and senate give the dems30 repus 30 indep 40 house dems 100 repus 100 rest indepns this way they have to work together beacuse no more one party rule!!!!!!!

April 20, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  102. Linda

Ubfortunately since nothing is done about immigration Nazi tactics will take effect. Sadd to see our country going down the tube because of irresponsible press and politicians. Wouldn't you know it takes the republicans to get us down this road

April 20, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  103. Jerome, Arizona

You want to get rich? Well, come on down to Arizona if you are Latino looking and are a legal resident because I expect alot of racial profiling law suits against this state. I also expect an economic backlash against my state of Arizona in the next year. Jack, aren't you and I illegal immigrants to begin with?

April 20, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  104. Greg Ladzinski

I absolutely agree with the people of Arizona and congrats to them for taking the iniative to do something the majority of politicians don't have the xxxxx to do.

Time to think about this country's long-term best interest, not how many votes I'll get and whether I get re-elected or not.

Time to be for America and not for me, mr. or ms. politician.

Enough is enough. Governor, please sign, your people have voted.

From Milwaukee, Wisconsin

April 20, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  105. Tom, Lake Havasu City

Whether or not they had a criminal record before entering the country illegally, once they do they are criminals. Everyone keeps saying Immigration Reform, we need Illegal Immigration Reform. Why do we keep rewarding criminals who enter illegally? If you enter illegally you need to be deported and banned from legal immigration for 10 years. Then we need to go after the people who hire them, as long as they can get jobs they will continue to come here illegally.

April 20, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  106. Preston

Glad to see a broder state doing something that needs to be done and not worry about political correctness or the 10% loud mouth liberals who control modern media who ultimatley is shaping public opinion. The illegals are in simple ecnomic terms are "free loading" off of our society. All of the public infrastructure is paid by the taxpayer base; the millions who use them for free are causing a strain on our economic coffers. Just look at the state of California; I read the tax payers burden associated with illegals is roughly $10 million per month. We need to create an expediated citizenship process so we can tax them.

April 20, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  107. Emilo Z.

No One is Illegal!

April 20, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  108. Jo

Why is it the government can fund and ship troops to other countries under the guise of "protecting our country" but cannot man our own border where real danger to our country exists? I think it's a sham that we can't protect our borders. If the people here want the immigrants, open our borders totally and then tax the people, quit giving all the free help and build more jails for the criminals.
    Living in a northern state, a lot of us go south for the winter. I know many people who are changing that trend because more and more people down south can't speak English and the crime rate has skyrocketed. What's it going to take? Give Texas and Arizona to Mexico if our government doesn't want to deal with the illegals. I can't believe millions of illegals are good for our economy and country.

April 20, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  109. Ray

I say it's about time someone steps up to the plate. Obviously this has been an issue for many years with no one attempting a solution. As a former military person we were told to to engage anyone crossing border illegally and to call border patrol. sometimes they were miles away and by the time they got there the illegals were long gone. If we crack down on the illegals it will force the companies to stop taking advantage of the illegals and hire legal citizens and abide by labor laws. As anyone should if you want to come to this nation, come legally or get out.

April 20, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  110. Arthur

The only way to stop illegal immigration is to levy a severe penalty against any person or company that hires an illegal immigrant. The penalty must be SEVERE!!!

April 20, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  111. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Dear Jack,

what a beautiful and such inspiring picture to see the sun cannot be fenced in! Yes, it is long overdue to pass comprehensive immigration reforms! Not surprise at this election year that Mr. McCain suddenly feels the pain of regular folks and want to secure every aspects of their lives! Mind you, I understand the many frustrations are about not having yet passed comprehensive immigration reforms for various reasons as well as the frustrations in regards to politicians not having passed for one decade the proper reform but God at the end of the day, am I glad that I do not wish to see 80% of people treated as criminals because of the 20% of people that are criminals according to your article and statistics! For the time being, I would hope security forces would arrest criminals acting criminally when and where it endangers the life of people until comprehensive immigration reform is finally passed as people did vote with the understanding that President Obama does want to pass such reform!

April 20, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  112. Stan Alabama

Jack don't let them fool you! That one is so far down the list right now(with election year politics in full swing) neither Republicans, Democrats or Pres. Obama wants to tackle that one.

April 20, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  113. Robert G/Florida

Jack: I have had this Racial Profiling Bull crap till I am Blue in the face. You have a black woman Raped by an 6'5" white man in his 20's , So to prevent this profiling you haul in all 60+chinese women to question>?? Hell no you look for the tall white men in the 20's. Is this profiling?? No, its called good police work and good use of resources. So, since Mexico is the border with Arizona we should not look for 60 yr old chinese to see if they are Illegal. Maybe just Maybe we should target people that look like they could have came from Mexico. If they are Illegal they have broke Laws of the United States and should be held accountable for their actions with fines and deportation.

April 20, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  114. George

This should not even be a debate. Like Wendy said earlier, what part of “illegal” is unclear??

This is a nation of laws and if one chooses to circumvent them they should suffer the consequences. Equating legal immigration with illegal immigration is offensive to the common sense, to the American citizen and to the millions of LEGAL immigrants to this country who waited in a very long line, for many years to have the privilege of living in this country.

April 20, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  115. ray carlson

Jack, the administration should institute A Volunteer 2 year program of 100,000 additional troops per month ( all branches total ) for domestic service only. The benefits would be Stopping illegal immigration, intercepting drugs, allowing illegal immagrants the opportunity to leave the country and put 2,400,000 American young men and women to work, job and traing opportunities they would not have otherwise as well as keeping them off the streets and out of the unemplyment lines. It would also help create private sector jobs. But then our politicians have absolutley no common sense do they.

April 20, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  116. Marty

Jack I dont like the way you framed that queastion. You and I both know that what the Arizona State Legislature is doing is unethical, unconstitutional and is racial profiling. Without real immigrational reform this type of enforcement will be akin to Nazi Germany 'vere are your papers?'. The burdens on the local law enforcement will be tremendous. Did the Natives give the European settlers the same treatment??Funny and absurd how this is happening in a state with a spanish name.

April 20, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  117. Karin

Sounds like the APARTHeid ERA PASS LAWS in South Africa!!!

April 20, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  118. NM in NM

Jack,

It's not just Arizona. Albuquerque has a huge gang and drug problem stemming from the insecure borders and loopholes in the system. Just thiw weekend I drove up from near the Mexican border and Border Patrol simply asked if I was a US citizen and let me keep driving. Number one, why is the checkpopint ~90 miles from the border? Number two, they need to check drivers' licenses and have more of a presence closer to the border. While I do understand where Arizona is coming from, they need to tread lightly with racial profiling. This may be an over-reaction and could cause more controversy than it's worth.

April 20, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  119. george

Well... The problem should take care of itself. The way I see it.. If we let Obama continue to run the country into the ground then people won't wanna come here anymore. Simple.

April 20, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  120. Dany C, Charleston, SC

As an illegal alien, I asked the Immigration Officer what steps I needed to take to become legal. She told me to stay out of trouble and I would be fine. She stated that they didn't have the manpower to look for me anyway. ...I was standing in front of her at the Immigration Office.

I have since found a more helpful person and now enjoy paying taxes in this great country.

I am having trouble with the Immigration Policy as it is. What good does a 20 ft fence if they make 22 ft ladders on the other side?

April 20, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  121. Marty Singer

I am an Independant from Arizona. I say close the Border. More Border Guards, fences, and a snake filled trench if we have to. We have laws that have been ignored for way to long. Legal immagration works for everyone else. Sheriff Joe Apiao of Maricopa County has been the only steadfast person in this country who has really done anything to enforce the laws of our country. I have to say Arizona is on the right track and I hope Texas, New Mexico, and California follow suit.

April 20, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  122. Bernell

Jack, it's real easy to say "So what!" when white people like you don't have to worry about being pulled over because of the way they look or the color of their skin. Immigrants aren't the only ones commiting heinous crimes. I'd bet the crimes commited by that twenty percent don't compare to the crimes commited by the residents, not only in AZ but in the US, as well. Look at the greed, kidnapping, and murders committed by residents and reported on your own show. Who's really putting us in danger.

April 20, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  123. Mark from Louisiana

Cut all government entitlements for the illegal immigrates, no HUD housing, no food stamps, no welfare checks, no free medical care in our emergency rooms, they will deport themselves.

If they want to re-enter our country legally I have no problem with them.

No person should be given citizenship if they can't speak & read english. Federal dollars should not be spent making signs and forms in multiple languages.

When they all go back to Mexico then you start cutting entitlements to able bodied Americans, none of this cradle to grave entitlement system that is in place now. When the government teat runs dry they will go to work or be hungry.

April 20, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  124. Frank M. Bland

Tired of going to stores and the people hired don't even speak the language of the country....tired of unlicensed drivers who don't have insurance, which by the why is a legal requirement of the state of California....tired of the schools unperforming because 55% of the students don't speak English and are lagging two years behind their grade level....tired of every Governmental agency catoring to illegal immigrants that want to tell America what is wrong with our systems....wake up California....AZ may have a good idea.....

Frank

April 20, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
  125. Dick Hertz

Send the rats scurrying back home. E-verify and the problem goes away on it's own. No jobs, no wetbacks. Something can only bleed so much before it dies + these leeches have bled us enough. Seventy five per cent or better of Americans want them gone. I've tried to turn several Hundred in myself. Got nowhere with I.C.E., my Congressman and the local Media. It is truly a shame that there are more wetbacks with a job than Americans without. Good paying jobs too. A greedy employer doesn't have to give them bennefits or pay unemployment on them. Jack hit the nail on the head about both major parties. As far as votes. The only votes the Democrats should see is them getting voted out of office. For republicans that hire them, they should be hung by the neck till dead. Treasonous Bastards.

April 20, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  126. Ignacio Cantu

1. Hire the agents necessary to secure the border and stop the flow of illegal crossings.

2. Heavily prosecute the CEOs and the officers of the coprorations and businesses that are hiring the illegals. Jail terms and use the heavy fines to pay for the additional agents.

3. Implement a program to get all illegals to a legal, documented status.

April 20, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  127. TC

I believe we have a morale duty, and a great opportunity to prove ourselves as a nation that helps. We need to be careful of who we let into the country but I would thnk that the majority of them are just trying to find a better life in America. I don't think it's that big a deal considering how many people live in America already, that we allow a few more people in who need our help. If they behave themselves and follow the law of the land then great, when they don't then arrest them, and give them due process.

April 20, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  128. Bennet in Texas

We need to finish the fence and get serious about security. I know none of the folks up north give a rip because you do not see it every day. They haul and leave their trash on our border ranches in texas and its not like the old days where you fed them and they move on. We call the border patrol now because the illegals are more prone to agressive behavior we never saw 10-15 years ago. Its a complicated issue because we are so intertwined nn the border states but something needs to done.

April 20, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  129. Jyothi, St.Louis,MO

They should be sent back to their home country. But that does not solve the illegal immigration issue.
    What do we do with the rest of the illegal immigrants with no criminal records ? The issue our country is facing from illegal immigration is beyond national security.
    The only solution to illegal immigration is to send back every illegal immigrant to where they belong. That is the only way of respecting INS's purpose and the taxpayers money.

April 20, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  130. Cameron in SF, CA

Honestly we need to put billions into securing the border. Anyone who balks at that cost needs to realize we are already putting billions into servicing these people with free schooling, medical care, prison housing and other social services. We need to stitch the wound for good rather than just covering it with a thin band-aid and expecting the bleeding to stop.

April 20, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  131. Stella

– They should be send back from where they come. We should take tough measures to ensure the safety of our borders.

April 20, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  132. slv

bring our troops home from the middle east and let them protect us from illegals and terrorists – any illegal caught a second time should get 30 years in a work camp, working on the fence to keep illegals out – only getting food, clothing, and a jail cell.

April 20, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  133. Poncho M.

...so far away from God...so close to the USA.

April 20, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  134. Docb

Jack, we have had border problems for 18 years..15 of those years have been controlled by a republican Congress. Now in the past two we have democrats fighting for a bi-partisen resolution on any bill....to no avail!

If the States want to regulate this criminal activity –then they should be allowed to but where were these guys when they problem was escalating? Oh, at least one of them was running for President and did not have a primary challenger! Kyl was just trying to keep his job and was laying low!

Could it be more clear!

April 20, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  135. Bruce F

The United States should immediately implement a required registration by all parties inside our borders illegally within a 6 month period of time. Failure to register during this period or entering the country illegally after this period would be considered a terrorist act and handled accordingly. Those that register should be provided a pathway to citizenship unless criminal activity would indicate deportation. Failure to complete the path to citizenship, or commission of a felony would be grounds for immediate deportation.

April 20, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  136. cj

Umm... By definition, 100% of ILLEGAL immigrants are criminals!

By entering the country illegally, they are breaking the law and that makes them a criminal.

April 20, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  137. Matt

The actual language in the bill says police have the power to stop anyone now based on reasonable suspicion. Translation, it means police can stop not only illegals but legal immigrants who are non-white.

Let's see how Jack twisted the language here. He says, " The state Senate has passed a tough immigration bill that would force police to arrest people who can't prove they're in the country legally".

So it is not about arresting someone who is here illegally but stopping anyone who LOOK suspicious. Everybody knows what 'looking suspicious' means.

People who doesn't need to fear profiling are the ones who are blindly supporting this bill.

April 20, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  138. Joe Plumber

I say we put Sheriff Joe Arpaio in the White House!!! I bet he will ENFORCE the laws that are on the books. I have no faith in our government any more. My wife works at a county hospital here in California. She told me that the hospital won't refuse service to an illegal alien. The illegals are eroding our health care system away. And guess who pays for it. WE DO! Not only are they eroding our health care system, they are in our schools as well. Racial profiling or not, we should pull EVERYONE over and make them provide proof of citizenship or greencard. I have no problem showing a government officer my license and passport, because I am legal and I am hispanic! It is time that these illegals stop giving us a bad name. As for all the mamby pamby latinos that picket and protest, come on already! If you are aiding and abetting an illegal, you should go to prison! Simple as that.

April 20, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  139. Joe - Utah

No one should be allowed to enter our country illegally. Forget arresting people. Forget diplomatic talks. Forget seeking a political solution. These have not and will not work. Police, Border Patrol, National Guard, Military, and Citizen Milita (if necessary) in mass numbers should be used. Lethal force is probably the only solution at this point that will work. When we start shooting people, the illegal crossings will stop. If we do not have a national will and stomach to do this, we may as well just open the borders and stop pretending that we can do anything about this problem.

April 20, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  140. Antonio Maestas

We must not forget that the United States of America came to Arizona ... illegally.

Good luck having your Latino neighbor call the cops when your getting mugged or burlarized.

This bill is bad policy in addition to being un-American.

Albuquerque, NM

April 20, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  141. Vazken

Comprehensive immigration is just not cutting it anymore. Make sure not one more person can cross our borders, then lets talk about our Worker Program and all those illegal immigrants here in the US.
    Let them stay and apply for permanent status and learn the English language as a prerequisite. If not then go back from whence you came from and stop complaining about our immigration policies.

April 20, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  142. Fernando in Massachusetts

Jack, I am appaled by your "so what" on the racial profiling question. I have a hard time imagining legislation being passed that empowered and required police to question individuals that might be members of a patriot militia group or domestic terrorist organization. Border security is undoubtedly an issue. But is questioning anyone that meets a police officer's visual criteria for an undocumented worker even a valid use of resources, let alone constitutional or ethical. But I guess many arizonans will sleep safer now that one needs a license to be brown in public.

April 20, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  143. Gary H. Boyd

Jack - picture this. Arizona's long time Senator McCain and his Senate buddy Kyl, also from Arizona, both now calling for 3000 Guardsmen on the border with Mexico. McCain's running scared for his seat come November and is desperate. Next thing ya know this guy'll be calling for anybody with a uniform, right down to Girl Scouts, to man Arizona's border.
    As a 32 year resident of Arizona you can take this to the bank pal. Arizona's flush with illegals (criminals and otherwise) and I'm sick of them and mealy mouthed politicians who only step forward when their back's are to the wall.
    Gary H. Boyd, Scottsdale, Arizona

April 20, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  144. Todd from Arizona

What is it about ILLEGAL that people just dont understand???? Deport anyone who enters this country illegally!! I live in Arizona and can tell you that enough is enough. It is so unfortunate because this really shouldnt be an issue nor is it a difficult thing to understand. If you are here illegally, you should be deported that day!! An employer gets caught hiring illegals, he or she loses thier business for good. Most will not dare cross the border if work is completely impossible to obtain.

April 20, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  145. Andre

John- Ellis Island was a place to enter this country legally. You submitted to an inspection, a decision was made and you got in – or not – and you had to live with that decision. A line in the desert is not Ellis Island. Crossing it illegally is an aggressive and illegal act regardless of the motives – as valid and compelling as they might be.. i am an immigrant myself, i took the legal route, and everyone else should too.

April 20, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  146. Leo from Philly

Move the nations capitol from Washington to Arizona and make all of our elected officials live there year round. Watch how fast things change. It's easy to ignore a problem when it's not YOUR problem. This is a prime example of why our faith in government is at an all time LOW. Democrats and Republicans are more interested in their own agenda's and not in doing what's right. Maybe it's time for a Million GUN OWNER March on Washington. Maybe that would get their attention!

April 20, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  147. Carole from WA State

Be honest, Jack, you know the reason why nothing is being done. Liberals want the Hispanic vote, plain and simple. They are playing politics with our borders. Does any politician have a spine anymore? Do any of them do the right thing, regardless of party? D.C. has become a cesspool of shame.

April 20, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  148. Chet

When is this country going to wake up? How is our government going to explain when someone or someone's family is murdered by a person that was in this country illegally? All states should be following Arizona lead.

April 20, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  149. Ben Diaz

Let's face it. This plays into the idea of supply and demand.

So long as industry keeps searching for cheaper employment, there will be illegal immigration.

So long as gun toating American's continue to purchase their guns, there will be trafficking of weapons across the border.

So long as there are people to sell drugs too, there will be druck trafficking.

I'm not removing blame from the Mexican side. I see alot of problems with illegal immigration for both sides, but if the demand is there, don't expect for the supply to cease.

April 20, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  150. Mr America

Why do illegal immigrants flood across the Mexico border in the first place? What do we have that they dont? Like Sadam was ousted from Iraq perhaps the world should put there collective foot down, and over throw what ever oppressive Mexican government that makes these people want to leave a Country they otherwise love in the first place. Write up a new constitution for Mexico or at least put people in government that are honestly concerned for all the people of Mexico, And This can be partly funded by Americas wealthiest Top 2% . Regards, Mr. America

April 20, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  151. Matthew Uttal

First, create a legal path that doesn't frustrate law abiding, but not "essential" workers. Create a legal way to become a citizen once you are here. Try to remember we were all immigrants once, and that our forebears were escaping danger, gut wrenching poverty and persecution, like so many of the people who come to this country today, legally and illegally. It amazes me that the Tea Party, the Republicans, the Democrats, the southerners, northerners, eastern elites, western gun toters, the NRA, the militias... all the people who claim to believe inb what this country stands for will also stand for this legislation. It is anti-American. It is the diametric opposite of what this country is supposed to be about: a haven for the oppressed, the spat on, the victims of persecution, the endangered of the planet. "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breath free!"

April 20, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  152. Steve

Send them back to Toronto... Oh, wait... that's in Canada. But what percent of illegal immigrants from Canada have a criminal record? Guess the Canucks would be difficult to pick out since we can't racially profile them.

April 20, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  153. Mark

Jack, The state of Arizona is doing the right thing. And yes, put troops on the border along with more agents. But don't put the troops if their hands are going to be tied. Arizona is the kidnap capitol of America and the Mexican Illegals are running crazy shooting up the place. That's because of the drugs. America is hooked on drugs which creates all this crap.

April 20, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  154. ben stockton, calif

finally arizona has had enough. i wish calif would do the same our city must have half of mexico over here. we have a very huge budget deficit and part of it is we deplete the city budget giving services to illegal tha we taxpayers are on the hook for.we need a sheriff like joe arpaio from arizona too nip this problem in the bud. also if the state would limit the time to be on welfare it would make these welfare cheats get off their duffs and get a job somewhere. try going to mexico and get on welfare yeah right

April 20, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  155. mario

if you don't like to see illegal immigrates take the mayflower and go back to europe this is america brown color not europe white people i wanna see in ten years go is gonna lead this country.

April 20, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  156. Karl

OH! And a Post Script if I may. Are you telling me that people from Mexico and Central America are THE ONLY ones "sneaking" into this country????? So many of those that blog here have NO IDEA what they are talking about. Research the "history" of this country. Maybe if any of us are pulled over by a Native American, then we can produce proof that we "belong" here. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

April 20, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  157. jerry owens

Jack, Arizonans are fed up with illegal Mexicans, and the growing danger of illegals involved in lethal crimes. Our local news each and every day is topped by smuggling of drugs and humans held hostage for delivery ransom. Murder as settlement of debt, silencing of witnesses in home invasions or convenience store robberies, including for something as cheap as a 30 pak of beer. The murder of the rancher on his own property last week near the Mexican border set off a Statewide fire storm. We are going to take our State back, with or without the Federal Government. When a car load of hispanics are stopped for a reason, and when not one of them speaks English, our law enforcement has reason to check their legal status. This new law will allow that.

April 20, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  158. Len Smith

Small businesses keep hiring and pay no taxes and they keep coming, as simple as that. We seem to protect the small businesses that pay their employees under the table and pay no FICA or any withholding is done. I watch it happen every summer, and see it here all the time.

April 20, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  159. steve- virginia beach

If we take away illegal aliens' ability to get jobs and benefits, most will go home. Real ID would eventually snag the rest. Buyt first we need to start electing politicians who will put the interests of our country and our citizens above those of special interests.

April 20, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  160. George

It's about time the government starts taking it's job seriously which is to protect its own citizens!!

No it is not racial profiling because law envorcement is targeting illegals and it just so happens that about 90 percent are Mexican!! So no, they're not profiling, they're enforcing a law!

April 20, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  161. Renner

I think the National Guard should deployed to patrol the border areas as necessary to collect all illegal aliens for immediate deportation with 1st priority given to troublesome ones, as they are probably the ones with criminal records anyway. Get rid of them !

April 20, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  162. Bill from Kansas

How come just about every country in the world can use their military to protect their borders but we cannot? Our congress continues to make laws that hurt US citizens more than the people who abuse them. I say we create a DMZ along the south border.

Then create the national ID card system for US citizens. Put huge fines and penalties for employers who hire them. Then sit back and watch them head home.

April 20, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  163. ObamaIllegalNation

We talk about how there are no jobs in this economy. We talk about 12 million illegal immigrants in this country. We talk about putting up fences. Adding customs agents and additonal security is job creation. Keeping illegals out opens up more oppurtunies for those who have citizenship. Putting up huge fences creates more jobs. These are no brainers. We never seem to do anything about it tho. Why is that? Why cant we uphold the laws of this nation on a day by day basis?

I cant understand why so many folks are up in arms about Arizoina passing this bill. At the end of the day this is nothing more than Americans protecting their own interests. The lawmakers who proposed the bill should be applauded for their efforts.

April 20, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  164. Raul, San Antonio, Texas

As Americans, we should all be scared of racial profiling. We have rights and justice in this country. How dare you say SO WHAT when it comes to racial profiling. This is the way the Nazi party started to imprison the jews. SO WHAT, too many people far better than you have died to make this country the best.

April 20, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  165. Lee in TX

Our immigration laws have worked in the past, so we don't need what the mainstream calls 'immigration reform.' Their definition is to grant amnesty. The reform we actually need is the enforcement of existing laws. My fiance, and many friends, gained citizenship legally, so I don't feel sorry for the illegal types. 14 million illegal immigrants aren't counted when staffing police departments, fire departments, etc. They add additional strains to our existing traffic congestion, need for road repair, water needs, electrical needs, and so on. Parkland hospital, a public hospital in Dallas, birthed more babies last year to illegals than any other hospital in the country. While employers gained by paying them reduced wages, the rest of us paid the medical tab through property taxes. Enough is enough. Be legal, or be gone.

April 20, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  166. Keith from Wisconsin

Enforce the 1986 Immigration Bill where they promised this is the last of several amnesties. Repeal free citizenship to folk born here is their parents are not legal. Confiscate businesses employing illegals and sell to pay down the debt. Create bounty program to collect 'em (start with Obama's illegal Aunt living in HUD housing for free).
    Stop all benefits to illegals. They will self deport if they can not get any work. Hire North Korean Border Guards.

April 20, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  167. Paul

I'm sick of all the whining about racial profiling. If Mexicans are crossing illegally in such vast numbers, it makes sense to check people of Mexican heritage for citizenship and throw out those who are not here legally. When did upholding the law become the wrong thing to do?

April 20, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  168. Paul

Interesting, in order to stick it to the illegals as proposed in AZ we will need to have way more big goverenment looking into virtually everyone's business. I thought the ones pushing these ideas thought goverment was the cause of most problems. AZ can't afford to keep open a rest area, what are they going to do with all of these people they lock up?

How many of your viewers can prove, right now, that they are here legally? A good model for us to use might be the late Soviet Union with internal internal passports and the KGB. Then we can all sleep at night knowing we are safe.

Santa Monica, CA

April 20, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  169. Scott in NH

Mark from Lousiana, you want to make sure they can't get free medical care in emergency rooms. Illegals pay about $1 billion a year in Social Security that they can't collect on. In return, are you up for giving that back to them?? You say "If they want to re-enter legally I have no problem." That sounds splendid. They can hire a lawyer for $5,000, interview at the embassy, get their fingerprints taken, get them re-taken when they expire, get all their documents translated by licensed translators and notarized, have another interview at the embassy, fill out their I-485, G325A, etc. Wait six months for their I-797 to arrive, another 6 months for their visa, and then... They are ready to start picking apples for $6 an hour. I wouldn't worry about anyone learning English. Mexican immigrants learn English much much faster than our grandparents from Italy, Germany, France, China, etc. And their children speak fluent English. Who cares if the first generation doesn't get proficient anyway??

April 20, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  170. Carol

The illegal's are draining our wellfare system, taking work away from our already drained economy, and most cities crime rate is up 50% or more not to mention the extra teachers we are employing to teach spanish speaking children, at the cost of the tax payers!!! Sure we are the land of the free, but our stupidity is making us the land of the push-overs. These people pay NO taxes..so why do we pay taxes,( to support them?) Come on people wake up!!!!

April 20, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  171. Mark

If you are an illegal then you entered the country illegally. Many people enter this country legally everyday. I've never understood the word "illegal" be defined as "disenfranchised person who missed getting citizenship when born in another country". Maybe the word "infiltrator" is more accurate. I know English can be tough, just trying to help.

April 20, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  172. Keith from Wisconsin

Nurse Lisa
    You mention the Statue of Liberty. Well back then if you did not pass the medical on Ellis Island they put an X on your clothing and sent you back.

April 20, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  173. virginia smith

What is there that is so hard to understand about our borders and securing them. If an illegal immigrant from Mexico can come across that border then an Iraqui or Iranian or chinese or other illegals can cross also. I lived in Arizona in 2004 and we had to register at the Post Office. We had to take our Drivers License and proof of adress in to identify ourselves and illegal immigrants could not be identified.
    Virginia Smith Modesto, California

April 20, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  174. Matt (Denver)

Not many people will take the position that people here unlawfully with criminal records should be permitted to stay, but that is not the issue here. The problem with Arizona's new law is that it seeks to identify those here unlawfully, but rather that, as written, it would jeopardize the rights of hispanic Americans who are citizens or lawful permanent residents living in Arizona. How will police enforce this law if not by stopping anyone on the street who "looks" like they could be here unlawfully and requiring documentation? How is an officer to identify someone here unlawfully if not by the color of one's skin? This is not ok. The problem needs to be stopped at the border, not by instructing police officers to hound any and all hispanic persons in Arizona.

April 20, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  175. bgaleles Port Ludlow, WA

Build a wall – not a fence. The chinese were able to buid a wall some 5000 miles long to protect their northern borders starting in the 5th century BC. Admittedly it was built over hundreds of years, but they did it with local, manual labor and they made their own bricks as they went. It was built to carry troops and equipment and had watchtowers at various intervals. Surely with our technology we can equal this feat in a far shorter period of time.

April 20, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  176. wally biff

expand the military bases along the southern boarder. this will provide construction jobs and give us new bases for the future. enough is enough, its embarrassing driving around Marin County in California and seeing hundreds of people standing around a strip mall not shopping but looking for work. What happened to America, the unity, hard working law abiding people. its almost gone... maybe the American people can write a letter to mexico::

Dear Mexico, we the American people ask that you please stop the parade of criminals and poor families from invading our country. With 15 million plus living here now and our prisons full, I think we've topped off..

ps, why do you arrest people entering Mexico illegally?

April 20, 2010 at 5:53 pm |