April 15th, 2010

Should Hillary challenge Pres. Obama in 2012?

ALT TEXT

Clinton and Obama exchange comments during the Democratic Presidential Primary Debate in 2008. (PHOTO CREDIT: STAN HONDA/AFP/Getty Images)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

It could be the greatest of rematch of all time.

Hillary Clinton and Pres. Barack Obama nearly tore the Democratic Party apart two years ago. What if they go at it again in 2012?

A new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation Poll shows Secretary of State Hillary Clinton with a favorable rating of 61 percent and an unfavorable rating of 35 percent...

Clinton's numbers have improved since the 2008 primaries... and she fares better than Pres. Obama, who gets a 57 percent favorable rating; but his job approval rating is below 50 percent in most of the major polls. Obama's unfavorable rating of 41 percent has more than doubled since early last year.

There's more: Clinton's numbers also top all other Democrats and Republicans in this poll... including potential GOP presidential candidates like Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee.

Clinton insists she's "absolutely not interested" in running again for president... although she has suggested that she doesn't envision serving as Secretary of State in a second Obama term.

Of course a lot can happen between now and 2012... including whatever Pres. Obama does or doesn't accomplish in the remainder of his term. If the economy recovers and the jobs come back, he could be tough to beat. But as of right now, one survey shows a majority of Americans don't think the president deserves a second term.

And when it comes to politics, it's probably wise never to count a Clinton out.

Here’s my question to you: Should Hillary Clinton challenge Pres. Obama in 2012?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Dave writes:
I don't think that Hillary Clinton should run against Barack Obama in 2012. If things look bad for our president, I anticipate he may decide not to run again. Mrs. Clinton would be just the person to step up in that situation.

David writes:
Terrible idea. It would just create a huge divide among Democrats and invalidate Obama's term in office.

Adam writes:
Jack, I supported Hillary during the '08 Primaries, and I voted for Obama in the general election. However, given the opportunity, I would not hesitate to support Hillary Clinton again. Only time will tell if I will get that chance.

C. writes:

Jonique writes:
No, I do not believe Hillary would challenge President Obama, since you asked. My question is to you: Why would you ask such a question in the first place? Do wish for an Obama failure? You are mighty hard on a person who has been in office for such a short time. What is your agenda?

Lene writes:
I don't think America has to go through that again. People have short memories. Clinton had her issues, like the campaign donations and the sniper fire lie and now she is put on a pedestal. This makes about as much sense as Sarah Palin running for president.

Gerry in Ash Fork, Arizona writes:
Both are hell-bent on turning this country into a socialist nation. I'd have to find some wacky right-wing yoyo that believes in America first.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Elections • Hillary Clinton
  1. Charles in ohio

Jack: I can answer that in one word. "NO"!

April 15, 2010 at 3:43 pm |
  2. Heather from Indiana

No. It would be really stupid on her part.

April 15, 2010 at 3:47 pm |
  3. John from Alabama

Jack: No way!! I believe she likes her job as Secretary of State. Hillary Clinton will support President Obama in 2012. She has always believed President Obama was smart and the right person for the job. Mrs. Clinton will not run in 2016, unfortunately. She will be close to that retirement time of 70 years of age. I would hope she would become the Ambassador to the U.N. Mrs. Clinton might rub people the wrong way, but she will always have a mission to accomplish.

April 15, 2010 at 3:50 pm |
  4. Eric - Houston

While I would prefer Hilary Clinton was president now, I do not think it makes sense for her to run against President Obama for the Democratic Party's nomination. This would be like 1980 and as popular as Ted Kennedy was he couldn't unseat Jimmy Carter for the nomination. As disappointed as I am in President Obama thus far, he is not anywhere near as incompetent as Carter was. Given this, I don't believe that the lack of a Chappaquiddick would give her enough of an edge to unseat a sitting president in her party, though I am sure the Republican Party would like her to try.

April 15, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
  5. janie, Springfield MA

No, I think Obama should ask Joe "foot-in-mouth" Biden to step down and replace him with Hillary.... Everytime Obama has to show up some where with Biden, and Biden is allowed to speak, poor Obama gets this terrified look on his face, and you know he's thinking "God help me, what is this fool gonna say now?"

April 15, 2010 at 4:04 pm |
  6. Simon/Orlando

That's a big yes. Someone with a little common sense and experience needs to take the helm from our current idiocrat.

April 15, 2010 at 4:05 pm |
  7. Bill Weber

After almost a year and a half of waiting for some substantial legislation to eminate from the White House (except for healthcare), I am inclined to make a change and I would vote for Hillary.
    Thus far President Obama has talked the talked but has not been able to walk the walk. I realize that there is a lot of politics getting in his way, but I don't think he has gotten the message that as President he must lead and not just suggest.
    Hillary has shown that she has the mentatlity and the guts to fight for what she believes in and push comes to shove-she is my choice.
    Bill
    Port St, Lucie, Florida

April 15, 2010 at 4:05 pm |
  8. Johnny

No keep the good team working together

April 15, 2010 at 4:06 pm |
  9. Overby from Melbourne

My answer to that question:

2008......Hell No
    2010......Hell Yes

I've never liked her at all, but she's got to be better than Obama.

April 15, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  10. Jay in anaheim california

Look on the bright side jack. Couldn't get any worse could it?

April 15, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  11. Jesse J Vancouver Canada

Hi Jack,

No she shouldn't, but she might want to offer herself up as vice president.

Now that would be a team.

Jesse J
    Vancouver Canada

April 15, 2010 at 4:11 pm |
  12. Luke

Jack,
    As a registered Democrat, supporter of both Clinton and Obama, you pose one tough question. The Secretary of State has made leaps and bounds in both foreign and domestic affairs, and the President has truly brought the "change" he promised....whether well received or not. At this particular moment, I would back the President in all that he does, even if that means running against Clinton. But all this talk about Clinton-Obama makes me hopefull in 2016. A President Clinton could emerge once again.

-Luke
    Pittsburgh PA

April 15, 2010 at 4:12 pm |
  13. Nina Eckhoff

The world needs a female at the helm. Regardless of the incumbent, Mrs. Clinton should run for president in 2012. However, considering the vitriol spewed (at her) by the media, by supporters of other presidential candidates... and the brutal, time consuming and prohibitive cost of running for elective office... why would she want to? Her star continues to rise, and she's got better things to do! I think her talents would be more effectively used if she headed the UN, after all, the rest of the world seems to value her a whole lot more than Americans do.

April 15, 2010 at 4:12 pm |
  14. andy--gaithersburg MD

I'm not sure if she should, but I wouldn't be surprised if she did...then the supprt she's giving him now will be worthless when she starts bad-mouthing him...

April 15, 2010 at 4:13 pm |
  15. Marlene

Why, Jack would you ask this question, now? Foolish? Yes! Why is the media so intent on the 2012 election? Everytime we turn around they are wasting time on this foolishness. What is it – the necessity of the demands of the 24/7 news cycle that you need to fill the air time? Stop already! Marlene in Mich

April 15, 2010 at 4:16 pm |
  16. William

If Hillary wants to run let her run for president in 2012, if she is insistant let her go her way and go to whatever life she chooses. It would be interesting if she won over O-Bama, int he fact that she be the first woman president after an African American President. I think the country would be less critical of her being president, and the decisions she makes, as there would not be this constant fear debate over color issue. I think the fear is more white people losing their jobs, and being replaced with minorities. She'd probably knock some sense into Washington, something our current president would not think of doing, has failed to do, and won't do, by buying the votes of the masses on mass goverment programed welfare, and bailing out corporations before the people.

April 15, 2010 at 4:18 pm |
  17. Greg H - Minneapolis

Jack, Hillary Clinton shouldn't waste her time competing with Obama for the nomination. Obama will be lucky to serve out his first term, much less be able to win a second term. And Hillary's approval rating for her job as Secretary of State is not necessarily going to translate into being elected President. She and her husband have more than enough money to retire in a life of luxury to which they have become accustomed to, she should take that and enjoy it. Because a Democrat President right now will ensure that as one of the "evil rich", both the Clinton's & Obama's will not be able to hold on to their wealth.

April 15, 2010 at 4:18 pm |
  18. steve from jacksonville florida

Jack
    The Democrats need to support Pres. Obama for a second term. Hillary and the Pres are doing quite well where they are now. Dissension among the ranks (by challenging the President) would demonstrate failure to the voter.

Maybe some young blood would be good in the VP spot however. That person could then have a better shot for the presidency in 2016.

And by the way Hillary is no "spring chicken" now and she needs to prepare for the grandmother roll.

April 15, 2010 at 4:21 pm |
  19. Paulette in Dallas,PA

Yes,Hillary should challenge Obama in 2012. She should have won this time. She has gotten more experience than she had before which,by the way,surpassed the current Presiden'ts experience. I believe that Clinton would know what to do to turn this dire situation that our country faces around so maybe our best days are still ahead of us. I'm sure many of the Democrats they betrayed Hillary in 2008 are regretting doing it now.

April 15, 2010 at 4:22 pm |
  20. Emden (Deep in the Heart of Hurst Texas)

Only if her goal is to loose the White House to the GOP!

April 15, 2010 at 4:22 pm |
  21. Steve, Clifton, VA

Negative, Secretary Clinton should not challenge President Obama but compliment him in the same fashion that she does now. She should replace VP Biden on the ticket or place her name in the hat for the U S Supreme Court. She would be an excellent Justice as she is a smart and capable lawyer; she has been the First Lady; she has been an elected U S Senator; and has been nominated and confirmed as the Secretary of State to boot. Either one of these positions would compliment and enhance President Obama as well as the Democratic Party.

April 15, 2010 at 4:22 pm |
  22. David from Texas

I think Hillary SHOULD run again. I voted for her in the primaries...I feel she should have won but unfortunately was "cheated" out of the nomination by Obama, just my opinion. Hillary is very smart and articulate and has so much perserverance. I would LOVE for her to become the first Woman president of the United States!

April 15, 2010 at 4:23 pm |
  23. Paul from Hawaii

Wake up Jack, it doesn't matter WHO the Deam & Pass Democrats pick to run in 2012 because the Republicans, emboldened by the Tea Party supporters, will easily cancel whatever candidate they pick.

April 15, 2010 at 4:24 pm |
  24. Lene

I don't think America has to go through that again..lol People have short memories. She had her issues like the campaign donations and the sniper fire lie and now she is put on a pedestal. That makes about as much sense as Sarah Palin running for president.

April 15, 2010 at 4:25 pm |
  25. Mark- Rebublican in PA

While I think Hilary would make a great president, I don't think she could win and I think Obama is doing a fantastic job with her in his cabinet, and her running against him could hurt the Democrats chance of keeping the presidency. If the vice president position comes open they would make a great team- unbeatable. Even though I am a Rebuplican I don't see anything promising coming from what is fast becoming the party of No. I am afraid the Republicans haven't learned from the times they were the party of no during the Franklin Roosevelt times and later with Newt Gingrich in charge.

April 15, 2010 at 4:27 pm |
  26. JONIQUe

No, I do not believe Hillary would challenge President Obama, since you asked. My question is to you. Why would you ask such a question in the first place? Do wish for an Obama failure? You are mighty hard on a person who has been in office for such a short time. what is your agenda? More people watching your show, or what is best for USA?
    I am a Vrginia person putting up with a crazy, racist governor and AD.

April 15, 2010 at 4:27 pm |
  27. Meg from Troy, Ohio

Jack–
    I don't think that she will. But she might run with him...

April 15, 2010 at 4:28 pm |
  28. Richard Fairview, Texas

No that would be counter productive. The democrats are going to have a hard time in 2012. They need one solid candidate that can win not two that will cause a divide.

April 15, 2010 at 4:29 pm |
  29. Gary Las Vegas

Having one puppet of the Federal Reserve is plenty, we don't need another. Ron Paul is the only answer for people who believe in the constitution!!!

April 15, 2010 at 4:30 pm |
  30. lloyd

yes i think should challenge obama ,she would make a good pres,

April 15, 2010 at 4:30 pm |
  31. Aaron

There is no way that Hilary will be challenging her boss in the 2012 presidential race. The Democrats love the icon that Obama is in the media's eyes, whether it be good or bad. The symbol of Obama and his political charge among young people, along with his diplomat to the world, Clinton, who is said to be doing a great job in the area of international relations, is not going to be risked by any in the Democratic Party for the sake of pure polling indications. This is a power-duo that no one in their right mind would give up.

Cedar City,
    Utah

April 15, 2010 at 4:31 pm |
  32. Cheryl, Cocoa, Fl

she can do what she wants to do, but I will not be duped again by political candidates who promise so much, then don't do what the American people want. I will be much more careful in researching these candidates in 2010, 2012 and the future. I will no longer vote for anyone who doesn't show a proven track record of my beliefs.

April 15, 2010 at 4:33 pm |
  33. Mark, Oklahoma City

She should run as a third party candidate....and she would WIN!

April 15, 2010 at 4:35 pm |
  34. David

Terrible idea. It would just create a huge divide among democrats and invalidate Obama's term in office . Hilary should be the V.P.

April 15, 2010 at 4:36 pm |
  35. Jerry Johns Creek, GA

I think it would be a fabulous idea for Hillary to run against Barak. The evaluation each would give of the others performance will enhance the position of any Republican or hopefully Tea Party candidate.

April 15, 2010 at 4:38 pm |
  36. Sue Rooney - Ft Myers, FL

That would be great for the Republicans – let the Democrates throw the punches at each other, knock themselves out, and let the other side slide right into office.

April 15, 2010 at 4:39 pm |
  37. JIM El Paso Tx

I don't think Jack she will or should for that matter. Depending on how things go between now an then there could very well be a Republican:( back in the White House and I'm sure she knows that an wouldn't want to be beat out again.

April 15, 2010 at 4:41 pm |
  38. mack from michigan

The republicans have spent the last year and a half assassinating This Presidents Character and motives and questioning his patriotism and even his citizenship. I think replacing Barack Obama with Hillary Clinton would be a brilliant manuever by the Dems and would leave The Teabaggers, and Sarah Palin and the conservative right wing talking radio head, hate and paranoia dispensers looking even more ridiculous than usual. When you look at the strengths of the two (Clinton and Obama) in the polls, Voters would be very pleased to see Mrs. Clinton become the president and Mr. Obama as Secretary of State.

April 15, 2010 at 4:41 pm |
  39. Jack - Lancaster, Ohio

Jack:

Yes, never count them out. Allegedly there are three branches of government. There are three in the Clinton clan. With nepotism so acceptable (if not prosecutable these days) I would not be surprised if some political consultant concludes it is time for Chelsea to step up and run for President. Bill will be involved SOMEHOW !

April 15, 2010 at 4:42 pm |
  40. Michael Lorton, Virginia

Jack: Let's be honest-–The Clinton era is passee--and regardless of the numbers and polls--she had her shot-–and fell short-–she needs to let it go and forget running. She wouldn't win anyway. The sad thing about Hillary is that her real life is so often the life that she does not lead.

April 15, 2010 at 4:43 pm |
  41. chuck // coastal n.carolina

I'd like too see that happen. I believe that Hillary could both take Obama, and she may bring the party together more. I voted for Obama in the last election, I will vote Democrat in the next election.

I voted for Reagan in his first election ( BIG MISTAKE ....... ). The 2 major lies that we are dealing with today which started under him is : 1). Arms Deals to Afgahanstan,Iran, Ect... . We are fighting them now with our own weapons. 2). The tax structure re-writting and bank de-regulations began followed with more by Bush ( the rich and bankers profit ). Both issues we are dealing with today.

April 15, 2010 at 4:45 pm |
  42. Jeff in Houston, Texas

No. True progressives need all the help they can get in Washington. i wish we had two or three more Hillary's to work on various problems and let Obama keep steering. If we could get Hillary as a Supreme Court Justice, I would take back all my doubts I have had about this man i voted for. I would be in favor of putting Bill back to work too, and to my knowledge, Al is just sitting around.

Now THAT would be a team to attack our problems.

I know. Dream on.

April 15, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
  43. joan

No! Hillary's age will be against her, President Obama is the best we could possibly have at this time and till the end of his second term. If the party of No get in power again we all go to hell in a hand basket.

April 15, 2010 at 4:47 pm |
  44. Will from San Jose, CA

If you listened to the polls in 2006, the 2008 election would have been a choice between Giuliani or Clinton. Two years is a lifetime in politics and any projecting at this point is nothing more than speculation heaped upon rumor. Lets focus on actually reporting the news of today instead of filling time guessing about the future.

April 15, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
  45. richp the poconos

Please do.

April 15, 2010 at 4:52 pm |
  46. SCOTT ROSE --- PANAMA CITY, FL

Jack, Hillary Clinton or anybody who is tainted with the stain of Obama, working with and for him , knowing him and liking him, talking to him , allowing him to continue to destroy the country, should legally be disallowed from public office of any kind. Hillary Clinton is as much a socialist as Obama. Come November things will look quite differant in Washington. I've already sent moving boxes to all the members of the democrate party up for reelection. Good riddence to bad garbage.

April 15, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
  47. Scott Stodden

Yes I definitly think she should run in 2012 because she has the experience and the know how to get things done in Washington! Hillary Clinton has served as first lady of Arkansas, first lady of the United States, U.S. Senator of New York and also now currently serving as Secretary Of State and that gives her all the experience in the world to become first female President Of The United States, we all must rememeber during the Clinton years jobs were created, they balanced the deficit that was out of control within 8yrs and they always had good relations with other countries, I would definitly support Hillary if she did run against Barack Obama in 2012 and I seriously urge her to do so, we need you Hillary now more than ever to lead this country! Elect Hillary President in 2012!

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

April 15, 2010 at 4:55 pm |
  48. Chaney, La.

Jack , two of my favorite politicians, such grace, intelligence, and dignity, its abit early for me to go there. Ask again this time next year.

April 15, 2010 at 4:55 pm |
  49. Darren - Detroit

If she wasn't good enough to beat him in 2008, what makes her believe she'd have any better luck trying to defeat the sitting president?

April 15, 2010 at 4:57 pm |
  50. steve- virginia beach

Whichever other candidate had the best chance of beating them, preferably an independent with no ties to any political party and with a demonstrated track record of integrety and effective problem-solving. The Progressive's assault on our Constitution, as explained and clarified in detail by our founding fathers and the plundering of any hope of returning to prosperity needs to be stopped!

April 15, 2010 at 4:57 pm |
  51. PAUL D. MAHALIK

It would be difficult to run for President when you are already a Supreme Court Justice.

Dave
    Maryland

April 15, 2010 at 4:59 pm |
  52. cyn623

Absolutely! She is much more capable of leading the country in these tough times. Although Obama seems to be trying, he hasn't been able to accomplish very much at all, most likely due to his inexperience. I say if it takes a primary challenge in the party to straighten out the mess we are in, do it. After all, the office of President of the United States shouldn't be an entitlement or popularity contest. We need to put someone at the helm who can steer the ship home.

April 15, 2010 at 4:59 pm |
  53. Greg M.

Jack,
    I would vote for Obama.I'll save my Hillary vote for 2016.
    Greg M. Largo,FL

April 15, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
  54. Ronald Holst San Antonio , TX

Jack i think she is a great Secretary Of state But I still am not sure If she is presidential Or Not ! And I do not know If I will will think she Is .

April 15, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
  55. Nancy, Tennessee

The campaign trail was hard on Hillary and she gave it her all in 2008. I don't think she wants to go on that train ride again. She will stay active in politics, but not as President. She's an intelligent, gracious woman and I admire her.

April 15, 2010 at 5:06 pm |
  56. Docb

Jack, Please, why–she has deported herself relatively well as SOS..The disappointed hillery backers need to be allowed to mourn and get on with it..She would never measure up to what we have now.....Visionary she is not–inclusive she has never been but diplomacy she is learning!

Besides- it helps the clintons that she has is traveling with her own portfolio...a lot!!!

April 15, 2010 at 5:07 pm |
  57. Mari, Utah

No, sir, Jack, she is a wonderful Sec. of State. Plus we all hope she will run again after President Obama's 8 years.

April 15, 2010 at 5:07 pm |
  58. Mark Hot Springs Arkansas

Clinton!!!!!

April 15, 2010 at 5:09 pm |
  59. Paul Austin, Texas

As you state it is early. However she just may owe it to her backers and herself. We all think Obama wants another term. I think otherwise. I think he only wants one term. He has gone down in history already and has done many things he wanted to do. He will never be able to do them all. We all may just be surprised as Obama steps aside and lets Hillary take the lead. I think she states she would not be intrested in a run for President if it is against Obama. If things do not change a great deal during Obama's first term look for him as one term and Hillary on the run for the top office.

April 15, 2010 at 5:12 pm |
  60. OBDAG in Appleton, WI

No, I do not think Hillsry Clinton should run against Obama in 2012. A move like that would do the Democratic Party no good and could even cost them the election to the Republicans should they even come up with a worthy candidate to challenge Obama. Maybe Clinton would be to busy with Supreme Court matters to run in a campaign anyway. In truth I would prefer to see her as an associate justice than running for president.

April 15, 2010 at 5:12 pm |
  61. John, Fort Collins, CO

As soon as the midterm elections are over, Hillary should evaluate the situation and delare for the Presidency if the Democrats are up to their axles in mud. She is clearly qualified for the job, and probably the only Democrat capable of getting us out of the mire if Barack Obama's administration continues to sink.

April 15, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  62. Bernieof Lowell, MA

Anyone but Hillary. We're a lost cause as a nation when two families already have controlled 20 years of our recent history.

April 15, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  63. Kyle McCreary

I hope she does run against Obama. She has got to be sick and tired of running around the world appologizing on his behalf.

April 15, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  64. David Sisters OR

Absolutely not running!! (maybe)

April 15, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  65. Jane Doe

Hillary hands down! I am in independent.

April 15, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  66. oldfuzz

This may be the dumbest question ever asked. There is no way Hillary runs against Obama in 2012. It's not done except by idiots and she's not.

I don't remember an incumbent ever being challenged in the primary. It may have happened, but the most memorable situation was in 1948 when there was a move to replace Harry Truman who put a stop to it by telling the Democratic leaders he would run as an Independent.

By money is on Hillary for VP in 2012 and Prez in 2016

April 15, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  67. Jeremy D from Michigan

It has already been planned. First lady Obama already hinted to it by calling her President Hillary Clinton. I wouldn't vote for Obama or Hillary in 2012.

April 15, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  68. Steve - Holland, Michigan

Hillary needs to shut up and sit down. Just like all the rest of the failed socialists of the world.

April 15, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  69. Marcie Manthe

I could be happy with Hillary Clinton as President, but I think President Obama will not only win a second term, but go down in history as the greatest President of all time. He's not done, yet.

April 15, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  70. Kyle

Hillary should definitely run. She is the most qualified for President of the entire field.

April 15, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  71. Stephanie Stephens

ABSOLUTELY SHE SHOULD RUN AGAIN! She was the best candidate for President in 2008! Mrs. Clinton if you are listening WE SUPPORT YOU!

April 15, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  72. adam

Jack,
    I supported Hillary during the '08 Primaries, and I voted for Obama in the General Election. However, given the opportunity, I would not hesitate to support Hillary Clinton again. Only time will tell if I will get that chance.

April 15, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  73. dawn

Absolutely not! That would be so uncouth! Obama is unpopular now, but, he is a skilled campaigner...I say give him time. Hilary should run in 2016, or 20

April 15, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  74. ENDIF

Not if she's going to do the GOP's dirty work for them again in the process: If she can do so without poisoning the well this time, fine.

April 15, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  75. David Jennings

If the economy has not picked up, we still have a high job less number, and major legislative is still being watered down to get some bipartisan support, then HELL yes she is run for President in 2012!!

April 15, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  76. Annie, Atlanta

No. If Hillary Clinton attempted to split the Democratic Party like that, which is not likely, she would destroy all that respect she has obviously accumulated.

April 15, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  77. Mike in Quebec City

No, that would be a huge mistake. Although the polls say otherwise everyone knows that polls are highly non accurate when it comes time to put paper in the ballot box. I don't understand why the media is so poll happy, it's ALWAYS not correct.

As for the question, nope, the next president will more than likely be a white guy!

April 15, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  78. Dave

I don't think that Hillary Clinton should run against Barack Obama in 2012. If things look bad for our President, I anticipate he may decide not to run again. Mrs. Clinton would be just the person to step up in that situation.

April 15, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  79. Marietta

No, because Hillary, herself does not want to either run for Pres, knows Pres Obama is a good Pres. Hillary is more popular in the polls because Hillary is not Pres, nor has the pressure of all crises on her back to be blamed for. Hillary has one job and one problem, Pres Obama has the world and the Nation all crises on his overflowing plate.

April 15, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  80. Eileen (Peabody)

No Jack. It may be looked upon as back stabbing. That type of political success is owned by Sarah Palin. (take a look at how she climbed the ladder of success in Alaska!!!)

She is too smart, and too careful to take a chance on becoming a back stabber.

April 15, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  81. Gary Marion, IL

Yes, please, please, please.

April 15, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  82. Mitch Dworkin - Dallas, Texas

Hillary Clinton should challenge President Obama in 2012 if his poll numbers are so low that he would have little to no chance of winning. If that were to happen, then I would hope that Obama would do the right thing by announcing that he would not run and endorse Hillary.

April 15, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  83. john lindauer

prediction: joe biden is getting old...

he'll gracefully bow out of a potential second obama term...

hillary will move up to VP for the 2012 run...

(thus blocking sarah palin) and harnessing hillary's popularity.

April 15, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  84. Viola

Let's get one thing straight, no Democrat needs to challenge Obama in 2012. The Dems, including the racist blue dogs need to support Obama and accept the fact that he is the President and forget the fact that he is BLACK. Any white Democratic President would have had some type of bipartisan support from the Republicans. It could be Hilary or any white Democrat and Republicans would work with them.

America can not allow RACISM to rule this country not now, NOT EVER AGAIN. This is 2010 not 1910.

April 15, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  85. William

Jack.......Hillary would have an outstanding shot at defeating Obama. As I see it, she can make decisions and do it, and not make promises one can't live up to, i.e. healthcare, GITMO, immigration.
    Well.....................only if Harry Reid gets dumped from the party.

William

April 15, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  86. Conor in Chicago

If the roles were reversed the poll numbers would remain the same. In fact, I think Clinton’s numbers would be lower if she were President and Obama’s would higher if her were Secretary of State.

April 15, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  87. OJK

No, if the majority of democrats see that their own party is split this will make the party look weak. What a voter looks for is a strong party that is confident with its leader. Also It's very hard for one leader to fulfill his promises in just two years. Hillary should step back.

April 15, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  88. Martha from RI

A definite , 'YES' !
    She would get us out of the mess that Obama has put us in and she would propel the USA to fiscal recovery.
    Please run Hillary!

April 15, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  89. Larry Dzifa

I think so. It will bring back the heat, excitement, joy, and also draw folks to the booths. It is the only way to dominate the news and also shut sarah paline up

April 15, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  90. Harold Eke, Fremont, Ca, USA.

Hillary Clinton's favorable rating is higher than that of Obama's 'cos she is not directly involved in the real politics. I'm also not ruling out the fact that this might push her into running against Obama in 2012. I'd consider that as being disloyal and ambitious. Even with a magic wand, I don't see her doing a better job.

April 15, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  91. Jon

No I do not think Hillary should run for the President. We need to ensure this political imbreeding stops. Nothing changes when you keep this crucial job in the same families. We don't need any more Bush's, Clinton's, Kennedy's, etc. in the political spectrum. Get them all out and hit the reset button. That Jack, is what we NEED. End political dynasties.

April 15, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  92. Richard (Houston, TX)

Absolutely not! Most Democratic voters are still reeling from her refusal to withdraw herself from the race in the late stages of the '08 primary. I think she has done enough damage to her image, and her husband's legacy. Another selfish display would be the final straw for her democratic peers. Hillary running = political suicide. Not to mention that Obama appointed her as Sec. of State, talk about a back-stabber!

April 15, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  93. Howard

No. I don't think she should run. I am not even close to being a Hillary fan but I think she has been very effective as the Secretary of State.

April 15, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  94. WisDem

Yes, she should. We needed a Clinton economic approach, as 18 million of us knew in 2008, but too many people wanted to talk about everything but the clear signs that the economy was heading for trouble. We needed a Clinton health care plan, but instead, we got a stimulus to help health insurance companies - which are not in economic trouble. And we needed a health care plan that would not punish women for having lady parts in their anatomies, but we got the Stupak executive order from Obama.

So yes, she should run. But she won't, because she will be loyal to the administration - and because the Democrat Party made it clear that it even would change its rules to prevent her from winning the primaries. That party, my former party, would do it again in a Chicago minute.

April 15, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  95. Louis

Jack, Give the guy a break (President Obama) , only slightly after 1 year in office, saved the US from collapse, everyone I know more optomistic , please lets wait until the midterms to discuss this. It seems everyone has forgotten how we felt only 2 years ago.

April 15, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  96. Raul

I do not think she should run,the party will be limping into the elections and having such a strong internal battle would cause to much attention taken away from obama's reelection

April 15, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  97. Ralph Spyer

She has the head,heart ,and the guts but what the point will she be a anti war candidate ? NO. Is she any more incompetent or corrupt ? NO they are interchangeable.

April 15, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  98. calaurore9

Jack, you know my answer, I've been telling you for months that they should swap jobs in 2012.

Carol again in Massachusetts

April 15, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  99. vanbarbee

Obama is the perfect candidate. For Clinton to run against him would only hurt the party...especially with how the Republicans are dealing with their own split between the GOP and TEA Party. The best thing for Clinton to do would be to continue to excel at her appointed post, as our Secretary of State. I wouldn't want anyone else to take that seat in such a time as now.

April 15, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  100. Judy from Canada

I think Hillary is doing an amazing job as Secretary of State. She has a great grasp of the issues and is very well spoken. I was impressed by her when she was in Canada recently.

I think she could have made a great but different President. My only concern is that she looks exhausted most of the time. I'm not sure she could handle the President's job physically. Despite all of his challenges he still has a bounce in his step, is in great shape and has incredible stamina.

April 15, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  101. Stan Stevens

It would be Hilarious!

April 15, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  102. Lynn

I will wait and see if such a thing happens. In a case like that I would vote for which ever one won in the primary. I will definetly vote for a Democrat.

April 15, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  103. Robert

No, but I hope she continues to play an important role in the Obama administration.

It's only been a bit more than a year for Obama presidency. Americans need to show more patience for the resolution of the incredibly complex problems that the adminstration is facing. They also need to try and provide more support and less resistance if they want to see results. Unfortunately the digital age, combined with excessive sensationalism, is proving detrimental to the economic recovery process as well as both institutional and social reform.

As the French say, "sois patience".

April 15, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  104. Ashley, Alabama

Yes, she should challenge Obama. I don't think he is experienced enough, and he's too far left to even envision party cooperation. He has alienated the right and is beginning to alienate the country. Hillary would be the savior for the Democratic party, who at this point may end up being a huge loser by 2012. What other options do they have left within the party?

April 15, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  105. Momsuniteus

As sarah palin would say. You Betcha!

April 15, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  106. Marie (Portland, Oregon)

Jack, the answer is a resounding NO. Why waste time and money as well as causing party division again. Obama will be reelected over an ever growing conservative push to the far right. We had conservatives running the country for 8 years and look were we are...still crawling up out of the pit they dug for us. Besides the GOP will implode given its determination to purge the party of moderates. Conservatives may be the squeaky wheel but moderates in this country are the drive train.

April 15, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  107. michael armstrong sr.

P. S. Jack I also said that Obama would never win either .

April 15, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  108. Olga O. Pina

This President needs a break! He needs to have the opportunity afforded to most Presidents. His agenda needs to be given a chance to work.

In the hateful atmosphere that has been created in this country, Hillary Clinton would not have a chance to win a Presidential election.

April 15, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  109. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Hillary should and she will challenge President Obama especially if her poll numbers remain highly favorable. However, the Republicans are more interested in getting Hillary out of the way by suggesting President Obama appoint her to a Supreme Court Justice and that's a strong indication they are reading the "tea leaves".

April 15, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  110. Gary

If for no other reason than that Mrs. Clinton is able to speak extemporaneously and President Obama seems only able to speak in metaphors and in parallel phrases, I would welcome a Hilary Clinton administration. It was apparent to me that during the 2008 debates, Hilary Clinton is a master of the knowledge needed to be chief executive. President Obama, through his avoidance of press conferences and from-a-script communication with the public, still isn't capable (or isn't capable as Hilary Clinton) to be President. President Obama's preachiness is turning me off day by day and I am turning him off when I hear him on the tube.

April 15, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  111. Richie Modeste

No Hillary should not challenge President Obama in 2012, however I would love to see Hillary Clinton become president after the second term of President Obama.

April 15, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  112. Ron in Charlotte, NC

With H. Clinton's downturned nose treatment toward Israel lately, I find this politician should be forgotten for future presidential material. Everyone with a decent and careful thinking mind should know that Israel would be the last country to turn its back on the US if we were in need. Clinton did not have that kind of respect that should be shown to this great and amiable-toward-the-US country...

April 15, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  113. adeo Alday

Yes if Obama continues to fail America.

April 15, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  114. Tom

Does anyone remember the secret meeting between campaigners Clinton and Obama that eluded the press. Is it possible that a 'win win
    deal could have been reaced where Obama serves one term as the first African-American President followed by Hillary as possibly the 1st female Head of State? Either way – 2 possible terms for the Democrats. Might this explain the heavy work-load agenda to get as much done in 4 years when other's haven't done it in two terms? Anything's possible. I'll vote for anyone who gets the job properly done with vision and integrity.

April 15, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  115. Joe Potter

Should Hillary Clinton run against Obama in 2012? Hell, yes! At this point, I think Monica Lewinsky could win by a landslide!!

April 15, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  116. Ras James

NOT. Their agenda's are virtually identical. We need a progressive Democratic Party that stands united – not one artificially divideded over gender, race, and identity. Let's leave the hateful public disintegration to the Rebublicans and their bald headed stepchild – the Tea Party.

April 15, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  117. Allen B.

Sure. Let Hilary run again for president. That will be a sure and certain demise of the Democratic Party. It will enable more Republicans to be elected

April 15, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  118. Javier (Miami FL)

I don't think Hillary should challenge Obama in 2012 if she essentially would be doing the same thing. However, if she does universal healthcare, if she brings ALL our troops home from abroad, if she reforms the education system so that we can match the rest of the developed world, and brings real change to America, then yes, I'd like that very much. That was the change I voted for in '08, that was the change I hoped for. This is not it.

April 15, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  119. Kevin Settles

As a voting Democrat for over 35 years the biggest challenge facing me as a voter in the 2008 election was the primary vote between Barak Obama and Hillary Clinton. I truly like Obama but felt at the time that we needed a president who knew Washington and how to get things done quickly. Though I voted for Obama in that primary, in hindsight I should have voted for Hillary Clinton. It is my belief that she should not only resign as Secretary of State and begin the campaign for president in earnest, but that a Hillary Clinton administration is the best hope for this country, at least in terms of getting this mess turned around quickly.

April 15, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  120. Dale Walker, Fontana CA

Yes, Jack-
    Hillary Clinton should challenge President Obama in the Democratic primary election in 2012. Clinton is a centrist in tune with most Americans...Obama is a radical. The health care reform bill will indeed prove to be President Obama's undoing. You cannot pass legislation that affects every American with zero bi-partisan support, and worse, without the support of a majority of the public. President Obama is politically tone-deaf...he cannot hear the American people. I have to assume that, whatever her other faults, Hillary Clinton is more in touch with ordinary Americans than President Obama will ever be.

April 15, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  121. judy Best

i could sure see it happening, and why not?....but what i can't wrap my head around is how fast americans turn on their leaders... just a year and a bit into his mandate, and everyone seems to have turned on him...he had issues to deal with that would have sent the most promising, successful leader screaming into the street, and 90% of it caused by the previous admin....for God sakes, get your heads out of this fast-food, fast-fix mentality....and give the guy a break
    judy
    canada

April 15, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  122. jim Blevins

The only thing that lies more than statistics are statistics derived from polls. Having effected a major miracle, Obama is currently suffering the backlash. Clinton is working within the parameters set by Obama in doing a job that is given good marks. But if Clinton challenged Obama, I doubt that she would get much support.

Jim, Craig, CO

April 15, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  123. Patty Perrine

I would love to see her run again. Can you see a debate between her and Sarah Palin. There would be no question as to who would come out ahead. I was a Clinton supporter in 2008 and I will be one if she decides to run. I helped President Obama win and he made history, why can't she make history by being the first woman President.

April 15, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  124. Andrew in Aberdeen, NC

Jack, Yes! Yes! Yes! She should announce just before the mid-term elections, resign, and start raising money. Then she should take off her gloves and start scratching Obama at every opportunity. Just think of the interest it would create and all the interesting conversations that Democrats would have! Best of all, you would have someone other than Palin to worry about. It would make you a happy camper! (That's a joke, Jack.)

April 15, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  125. Tim in Texas

No, she's doing a good job, but so is the president. Look at it this way, the president's approval numbers are about five points higher than Reagan's were at this point in his term. Carter left Reagan a recession, but nothing compared to the mess this pres walked into. Plus, when Reagan walked in, the debt was only 35% of GDP. Reagan took it up to 55% of GDP, and GW took it up to 78%. The GOP didn't leave Obama much wiggle room when it came to the debt. The economy's getting better. He'll win in a walk in 2012.

April 15, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  126. Cathy

I don't think that Hilary should challenge President Obama. I supported her run last time and firmly believed in her cause. However I think the president is doing an exceptional job. Instead of crucifying him everyone should remember that he is dealing with an inheritance from the republicans: our financial and employment mess. We don't need a divided party to allow the republicans to turn the political tables. I hear quite a bit of comment on what the approval rating currently is for these politicians but no one has ever asked where I stand. How many others feel the same way?
    Cathy

April 15, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  127. Brandon, Highland, IL

Hillary most definitely should run in 2012. Just imagine it Jack, Hillary Clinton taking on Sarah Palin. With the potential for the first female president on the line, women would flood the voting booths. A Palin victory would hinder the advancment of women, while Hillary's win would mark a historical day, marking the moment when women took a major step towards true gender equality in America.

April 15, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  128. Aaron

I say no , but the reason why is from watching politics ive noticed they play chest not checkers so it wouldn't be a smart move to go against Obama right now the best move, would be to let a Republican get in there and show the world that they dont have better ideas or plans for the country then Hillary come after that republican and she would win by a land slide but the people need to know that the Rep. cant do any better and if he/she does it would only be the wave they are riding from what Obama has already did just like he is catch what Bush dropped

April 15, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  129. Gary H. Boyd

Jack, if the poll numbers you suggest are correct, Obama's smartest move would be to nominate her for the Supreme Court and thereby get her off the stage and out of the picture. This guy's so slippery I wouldn't consider such a proposal out of the question. And, Just think what that would add to her credentials in the great hereafter: First Lady, Senator, Secretary of State and Justice of the Supreme Court. They just might put her in charge of the Pearley Gates.

Gary Boyd in Scottsdale, Arizona

April 15, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  130. Jackie, San Antonio, Texas

I wish she would run again. I would vote for her in a heartbeat. Hillary is the only grown up in Washington, she actually does her job.

April 15, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  131. john lindauer

Joe Biden is getting old.

National political campaigns are grueling – too much for a man of his "advanced age".

Hillary will gladly take his place on the 2012 ticket.

And why not!? VP is better than Sec.State.

With Hillary's popularity added to Obama's, they'll win handily.

And Hillary loves to win.

April 15, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  132. Pamela holt

Foley,al. Yes, I used to think that Hillary shouldn"t become president because of what could happen publicity wise, about her husband. I know now that , had Hillary been elected , with a full house as Obama has, we would not only have healthcare reform, but with the public option....maybe it"s not to late and if elected in 2012, then we, the people, will have that one ( crumb), delivered!!!

April 15, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  133. David, Tampa, Fl

My goodness Jack it isn't even time for the midterm debacle yet and here you are stirring up a hornets' nest for 2012. Is it that time already? Seems like we just elected someone not so long ago and he hasn't been give a real chance at total destruction of the nation yet, god help us if the Republicans regain control of Congress. Right now I would say she should Not. I am a long time admirer of Ms. Clinton and should things in this country take a really nasty turn after the midterm elections the I would say Yes. My brain is fried as I just finished my Taxes and will try to do better in the future.

April 15, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  134. Jeremy D from Michigan

It has already been planned. First lady Obama already hinted to it by calling her President Hillary Clinton. I wouldn't vote for Obama or Hillary in 2012,

April 15, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  135. KP

As someone who was devastated when she lost the Democratic nomination, I would love to see Hillary run again. Unless some unusual circumstance would cause Obama to "step aside" in 2012, unfortunately, I don't see her making a run until 2016. After serving in his administration, and the painfully divisive primary battle of 2008, I just don't see her challenging Obama for the Democratic nod... She could run as an independent, but not at the expense of helping to elect someone like Sarah Palin. As she always has, I expect she will make a decision based on what she firmly believes will be best for our country at that time.

April 15, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  136. Gigi Oregon

No, unless he is in trouble,,,

April 15, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  137. Marilyn. Texas

No, She can stay as the Secretary of State. She is much better in that
    position then being a President. President Obama should continue being the President in 2012. Wake up Americans, President Obama just
    might continue to be the President after his term is up in 2016. I know the other side would LOVE that. Smile!

A Registered Voter.

April 15, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  138. Frieda

Not against Obama, that would damage both of them. But I do hope she runs after Obama's second term!

April 15, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  139. Lee - Houston

All of Clinton's water carriers like Paul Begala are now careful in the way that they support Obama; this lets me know she will run depending on how Obama looks at that time. But here is the rub; all politicians look better when they are not “politicking”. As soon as she gets back into real politics her numbers will change.

Furthermore, being President of the United States in the middle of a recession would hurt Jesus Christ's "ratings" if he was the leader. The same was true with Ron Reagan and Bill Clinton around the same time period as Obama is in now. The reality is baring any major screw-ups, the economy will be very good at the time of the next presidential race and so these numbers will mean nothing. Her chance looks very good in 2016. The republicans (Tea Party) don’t seem to have any real leaders but complainers and mummers without any will solutions. It is easy to do that; the hard part is to lead.

April 15, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  140. Brenda Johnson

Yes I think Hillary Clinton should run against Obama in 2012.
    I think she would win!!! This time around.

Thanks!

April 15, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  141. Richie Modeste

As the economy gets better and our health care system gets improved, president Obama will go down as on of the best president in history. Therefore, there won't be a need for a rematch because Obama's poll will be 60 and up when the time comes for his re-election.

April 15, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  142. Brian

Jack- First of all I am a democrat!! I am totally not happy with Obama!! I was a total Hillary supporter in 08, and I truly hope she runs again. She should have won the last election, but I think she really got screwed! Yeah we all wanted change, but it looks like we ended up with only broken promises for the most part. I think she is brilliant, and would be crazy not to challenge Obama in 2012. The Clinton family has a proven track record of change and accomplishment, Obama has VERY little to boast ! I cried when she conceded the election. Bottom line–I am totally behind a Clinton run in 2012, and I hope she hears me!! PS- Jack I'm originally from North Jersey and loved you back on the news with Sue Simmons and Chuck Scarborough back in the day!!! I love your opinions..

April 15, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  143. Carla Rossi

I would love to see Hillary run against Obama and win the presidency in 2012. She has proven she is a diliegent worker for the American people.

April 15, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  144. Steve Canada

Hillary is a smart woman, and works hard at her job. She exerts great influence world-wide without all the political crap from the right. I honestly believe that she really enjoys the challenges without subjecting herself to the rigors of a Presidential run..Although I must admit it would be kinda fun to watch her and say, Sarah have a 2 hour debate on foreign policy...Now there would be a TV show !!!!!!!!...But of course they would have to have a 2 hour debate for a 1 hour show because Sarah would quit halfway through...

April 15, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  145. Darren from Minneapolis

If Sec. Clinton challenges Obama for the Democratic nomination, I'd be torn. Though I believe she has more experience than Obama and would probably be more effective in steering Congress to get things done, I don't know if it would be fair to kick Obama out considering the plate he was handed when he was elected. Given the Republicans lack of ideas on how to move forward, I guess I'll end up voting for whoever wins the Democratic nomination – though all of you media types will be salivating over the idea of an Obama/Clinton re-match! It would make for some great TV!

April 15, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  146. Jeremy in Albuquerque

I would like to see President Obama serve two terms, after which I would LOVE to have Hillary for President!

April 15, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  147. M.D. Holliday

Here's the thing – reading the comments from your bloggers leads to the image of President Obama being selfish and attention seeking. But what most Americans (the majority not the minorities) do not realize is the change we need to see is not the economy suddenly becoming wealthy and resources booming. This is a democracy where the power of our economy is based on the know how and connection of its citizens. The only thing Clinton would bring is the feeling maternal security which leads to biased economic change and still again the problem would exist where the elimination of the minority and middle class would go unnoticed because the voice of the people would be lost. President Obama has given a voice to this country that is exposing the weaknesses and is making decisions that lead to long term improvements, change, and progress. It's never been done before; instead of banning the voice, support the effort and see it through. We can not move forward by trying to divide the country, rather we need to work to unify it.

April 15, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  148. bob browand

At this point, I'd vote for Chelsea Clinton before Obama. His ignorance is matched only by his arrogance

April 15, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  149. Shelley

I think Hillary Clinton should run against President Obama. I think she would make a wonderful president. I always thought that she should have been the president of this great nation,the last time around. Whether she will run or not, She should be this country's first woman president someday! Go for it Hillary! We are with you!

April 15, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  150. bob browand

At this point, I'd vote for Chelsea Clinton over Obama.

April 15, 2010 at 5:36 pm |
  151. Rick Denson

Easy answer, Hell No! Considering the GOP's Party of No on anything & everything against any Democrat and the Neo Sicko Nut Cakes pretending to be patriotic "Tea Partiers" combined with all the "Fair Weather Fans" like you Jack that do nothing but complain, complain, complain... why would she want to be President? I don't agree with all that Obama's done so far but he's managing the mess Bush & Buddies left us pretty good so far. Bottom line... aside from the deficit this country is slowly coming back from the abiss and I am still 100% behind President Obama. For everyone else I suggest this motto passed on to me at the Non- Commissioned Officers Academy at Ft. Benning a few decades ago. I still live by it... Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell Out of the Way!

April 15, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  152. honestjohn in Vermont

Absolutely she should run and add a little excitement to what is looking like a drab and lackluster campaign. Y'know something for all you talkingnewsheads to jabber about. One thing is for sure–Hillary could take Plian anyday mudwrestling. Now thats a picture!

April 15, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  153. Linda in Arizona

Hillary? Oh well, who cares, what's the difference anyway? She and Obama are both corporate, warmongering Wall Street shills. There are no real Democrats left except Kucinich and nobody will vote for him. The Democrats are ALMOST as morally bankrupt as the Party of Treason (GOP). I don't care who runs. My enthusiasm meter is broken.

April 15, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
  154. Jim Livesey

Replace Obama, Run Clinton, Reload America! Yes, to Clinton 2012...

April 15, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
  155. SeaknigtRex

Does not really matter Jack, Black/White, Male/Female seems that nothing changes in the White House: Politics as usual.

April 15, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  156. david (sanfrancisco

why? she capitulated the first time ! hopefully we will have a viable candidate outside the 2 party monopoly to get us back on track..maybe ralph nader could help withthe trade shakedown our future is being subjected to .while obama and clinton use their positions to make personal fortunes we are stuck in the malaise of empowering a 3rd world communist country.

April 15, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  157. Linda in Arizona

Now that you pose this rather ridiculous question, do you really believe that Obama didn't make Hillary promise not to run against him in 2012 in return for being appointed SOS? I would wager he did, and she agreed.

April 15, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  158. christine

Hillary is doing a great job .She should run for presidency only after Obama's second term.

April 15, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  159. John Barichivich,Jr.

Dear Jack – There are many Democrats out here who supported Hillary in 2008. Many who could not vote for Obama and ,instead, held our noses and voted for McCain. Some, as I do, feel that he was not qualified for the Presidency, whereas, Hillary was more than competent and would have made very effective President for all the people, Demo, Repl, Independent etc..
    To answer your question, I would, with equivocation, support The Secretary of State if she chose to contend against Pres. Obama for the Demo Nomination. I am convinced that she could do a better job for all americans.

April 15, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  160. A.B. Baltimore Maryland

Jack, we can indeed count Hillary Clinton out as a potential candidate for the Presidential 2012 Election. She is not qualified to be president and should not run. Hillary Clinton was entrusted with the task of overseeing the design and sale of a health reform bill to the American public. She failed in accomplishing that task and saw the Clinton healthcare reform effort crash and burn. Ever since that time, she never developed a record of any legislative acomplishments on healthcare or on any other public policy issue as a U.S. Senator. Barack Obama has a record of legislative and public policy acomplishment as a state Senator and as a U.S. Senator prior to his becoming president. Her husband, Bill Clinton was and will remain a huge liability to her candidacy for president.

April 15, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  161. Dimslie

No. He might just put on a blonde wig so no one could tell the difference between them.

April 15, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  162. Matt

She shouldn't challenge for President, but if they were smart they'd slot her in for the VP slot in 2012, re-energize the base to make history again and prepare her for an easier run in 2016.

April 15, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  163. lynne j. in nc

Whomever gets the nominaiton in 2012, Democrat wise, I'll vote for.
    I mean the other party will probably have what's her name as a nominee. That though alone should be enough to get Democrats out to vote even if the nominee is Homer Simpson.

April 15, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  164. steve- virginia beach

Yes because it would show that even the Democrats want Obama out of office.

April 15, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  165. Shelley

I think Hillary Clinton should run against President Obama. I think she would be a wonderful president. We don't know whether or not she will run again.She should be this country's first woman president and I hope someday she will be elected.

Go for it Hillary! We are with you!!!

April 15, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  166. Dana

No! Let's not give the Republicans ammunition with in-house bickering. Keep the focus on solving problems in education and the economy. She is doing well as our Secretary of State.

April 15, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  167. Steven in NY

Jack, Hillary won the popular vote in '08 and she'll win it again if she runs in 2012. The answer is yes! Hillary should run against Obama!

April 15, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  168. Sue From Idaho

No and neither should Palin. Women are not in the immediate future to lead. Tears and jeers are not leadership.

April 15, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  169. h scott

i wish i had a time machine to see what ,mrs clinton or john mc cain wpuold be doing in the situration we wre handed.would they have the tea movement

April 15, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
  170. MCW, Texas

None of the four who are running for President in 2012, can't beat Hillary Clinton nor President Barrack Obama.

Claretha, EPT

April 15, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  171. Don

Seriously, this is the dumbest question I have ever heard.

April 15, 2010 at 5:57 pm |
  172. me

Many people are going to vote against the democrats this election. I am one of them. I will have no one to vote for.

April 15, 2010 at 5:57 pm |