April 15th, 2010

Where would you want your tax dollars to go?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

In honor of today's dreaded tax filing deadline - a whopping majority of Americans say the government wastes their tax dollars. No big surprise there.

A new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll shows 74 percent of those surveyed say a lot of their tax money is wasted by the government, 23 percent say some of their tax dollars are misspent... and only three percent say not much is wasted.

This poll also finds that 50 percent of the public says the tax system is unfair, which isn't surprising when you consider that 47 percent of U.S. households won't pay federal income taxes this year. Not a single dime.

And, the survey shows a growing public frustration with taxes over the last couple decades... 40 percent say they're angry about the amount of taxes they pay... that number is up sharply from the 1980s... and is a big part of the message coming from the Tea Party folks.

But whether you're angry or not, you don't have a choice about it... nor do you get to choose where your tax money goes.

Federal income taxes represent the government's largest source of revenue - at more than $900 billion. This money is used to run the country - everything from national defense, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, to things like education, public safety and infrastructure.

Here’s my question to you: If you could choose, where would you want your tax dollars to go?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Nick writes:
I think the tax dollars just need to stay domestic. The billions we've wasted and continue to waste in Iraq and Afghanistan are a much bigger problem than any local pork spending. If it weren't for these pointless wars, we wouldn't be dealing with record deficits.

Jack in Florida writes:
If I was given my choice, I would have my taxes go to public financing of elections instead of our Supreme Court's choice of both foreign and domestic corporations controlling our elections. The Washington lobbyists could then stand on the unemployment line.

Joe writes:
It's not flashy, or profound, or even that interesting, but my choice would be to pay for the debt. What good would all the other projects be if we are being crushed by mounting debt? In my own life, when I get a raise or extra cash, I put most of that into paying my debt and when possible put away some for the future. Our freedom is intimately tied to our ability to manage our financial obligations.

Bob writes:
Education, education, education. We need a smarter electorate.

Cat writes:
I would like more money to go to policing the borders and removing the illegal menace.

Jeremy in Michigan writes:
The most important things the government should spend our money on are job stimulation (in more sectors than construction), and energy technology (which will also generate jobs). Those are the two reasons for the current crisis.

Dominick writes:
I want my taxes to continue going to support illegal aliens and their dozen kids, and for more foreign aid to ungrateful foreign nations that still despise us.

John in Louisiana writes:
I'd like my tax dollars to go to Jack Cafferty. Maybe then he would have enough money to retire!

Filed under: Taxes
  1. Chris - Ottawa, Canada

Back into my pocket.

April 15, 2010 at 2:57 pm |
  2. Jim

I can tell you where I don't want them to go: the military. I don't have a problem with legitimate national defense but why do we need so many damn military bases all over the world?

Reading, Pa

April 15, 2010 at 2:57 pm |
  3. Joe R - Houston, TX

If I could choose where my tax dollars went, they wouldn't go. I would pay my own bills first and save the left overs. If the local, state and federal governments would take that attitude, I might mention some government program or agency that has the constitutional authority to exist.

April 15, 2010 at 2:59 pm |
  4. DEE

To help the country get out of DEbt!

April 15, 2010 at 3:05 pm |
  5. Ray Kinserlow

In this order: domestic social programs, national security, and pay off the national debt. I once thought paying off the debt was more important. I now realize that seeing that people are taken care of is more important than paying a debt.

Ray Kinserlow
    Lubbock, Texas

April 15, 2010 at 3:07 pm |
  6. Lori - PA

Jack,

To the United States. To job creation. To education. To paying down the deficit.

April 15, 2010 at 3:14 pm |
  7. Terence

Jack, I want my tax dollars to stay right in my own pocket! The dems. will replace the tax policy with a new one this year. Two questions on the form are 1 how much did you make, 2 send it in.
    Terence NJ

April 15, 2010 at 3:15 pm |
  8. Phil, georgia

Go Towards the good of America. Programs that gives a hand down to those less fortunate and give them a chance to be successful. I wouldn't want it going to the rich or those who already have because they should be strong enough to find ways to make money already.

April 15, 2010 at 3:15 pm |
  9. Bill in Penna

Jack,

Well I pay actual real cash to the U. S. Internal Revenue Service – thousands of dollars. But I do aspire to the status of General Electric, Inc. Many US corporations pay noting at all.
    "The most egregious example is General Electric. Last year the conglomerate generated $10.3 billion in pretax income but ended up owing nothing to Uncle Sam. In fact, it recorded a tax benefit of $1.1 billion. "

I would like my tax dollars to go to rebuilding the US tax code so it was fair.

April 15, 2010 at 3:19 pm |
  10. Loren

Defense and education. Defense because maintaining order is imperative to our human existence and education because it is our future.

April 15, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
  11. k

how about to take care of business at home! this country needs major infrastructure repairs, jobs, the middle class is struggling, foreclosures are increasing. congress is so wrapped in themselves and their special interests plus corporate America is pulling the purse strings that our elected nonrepresentatives have lost touch with those whom they are supposed to be representing. and did I mention fiscal responsiblity?

April 15, 2010 at 3:22 pm |
  12. Tom SE NM (The Working Part)

First, start paying off some of our debt while simultaneously stopping wasteful spending (pork, bonuses to Congressional staff, boondoggle trips, Air Force One to NYC for a date with Michelle, new china for all embassies, etc.), otherwise it is just a vicious cycle. Just like a household. What a concept.

April 15, 2010 at 3:23 pm |
  13. Phil in Port St Lucie, Florida

Excellent question! I know that none of my previous taxes have gone to "Good Use". Let's spend a few of my tax dollars on achieving a "Fair, Flat Tax" !

April 15, 2010 at 3:24 pm |
  14. Dennis North Carolina

create jobs and rebuild America.

April 15, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
  15. Donna Wisconsin

Healthcare for all!

April 15, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
  16. Jan Davis, Knoxville, TN

I would prefer they go to projects revitalizing our nation's infrastructure (roads, bridges, trains, etc.) and to social programs that would allow so many Americans who have dropped out of the middle class because of the economy to rise up again–e.g. jobs, jobs, jobs.
    I would spend none of the tax dollars in Iraq and Afghanistan–these are hopeless situations and we should pull out NOW before we lose even more young Americans. Thanks Jack!

April 15, 2010 at 3:29 pm |
  17. Greg, Ontario

As long as it is spent on my country I don't care. I don't know about you Jack but sooner or later we have to say "look we have our own bills to pay." Do countries like China, Russia or Saudi Arabia hand out the foreign aid like NATO countries do? I doubt it.

April 15, 2010 at 3:31 pm |
  18. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Defense, DHS, national infrasrturucture, NASA and NOTHING ELSE! Cut every social program out.

April 15, 2010 at 3:32 pm |
  19. Maria

I'd like some of it to stay with me, more than usual to go to small businesses, education system overhaul, and green development. Sorry, I don't care about the potholes along my street. I think there's far more urgent things to do right now. And I believe that if we honestly make our governmental institutions more lean, we will have even more money to put toward essential issues.

Maria

Brunswick,MD

April 15, 2010 at 3:34 pm |
  20. A Patel

Back where it came from, my checking account.

April 15, 2010 at 3:35 pm |
  21. Greg in PA

Back to me.

April 15, 2010 at 3:40 pm |
  22. Whatnextnow

Surely not to the government with the way they are wasting our hard earned money.
    I would like to see it help small business's with the loans they need so that they can feel secure to hire more employee's, thus creating the much needed jobs, which in turn will also help the economy.
    This present government is making a total mess of this country.

April 15, 2010 at 3:41 pm |
  23. Linda from Kentucky

Cancer research, sustainable & organic farming, humane treatment of animals, space exploration, solar/wind power, feeding the hungry...things that will take our children proudly into the next generations and truly make our country and our planet a safer and more peaceful place to live. I've been saying it for years now, Jack, that I would love to be able to decide where I want MY money to be spent.

April 15, 2010 at 3:42 pm |
  24. Jill

To fund a new industry, like green technologies, that would create US jobs.

April 15, 2010 at 3:51 pm |
  25. Mark

To NO MORE gov't spending and to reduce the deficit.

April 15, 2010 at 3:52 pm |
  26. Kenny in the High Desert of California

Under my mattress.

April 15, 2010 at 3:53 pm |
  27. John from Alabama

Jack: I would like my tax dollars to go to the Department of Defense and the Veterans Administration to serve those who have served us so well. I could use a thousand words of how these brave young men and women have done their job, but I will sum it up this way, "the best this nation as to offer." You better believe it!!!

April 15, 2010 at 3:55 pm |
  28. janie, Springfield MA

Anywhere but NASA–what a total waste of money. Universal healthcare: yes, bail out wall street scumbags: well OK, if we have to, but now waste tax dollars on the Space program? Please!.....someone tell president Obama this is a terrible waste of time and energy.....fous on something that makes a real-life difference in the world....What about bullies in schools, the foster care system, abused and neglected children....or Haiti? Please put my tax dollars anywhere but Space.

April 15, 2010 at 3:58 pm |
  29. Richard McKinney, Texas

Jack I think first off I would do away with Federal Income Tax and switch to a Flat Tax where everyone pays tax on each item they buy. This having 53 percent of the population pay the tab for the whole country is wrong. I would do away with School Tax for those with no children. Why pay a tax for something you don't have? Next I would have a line item veto on everything congress does. If they want to spend my money on something then I want them to only spend it on that one thing not a bunch of other crap just to get a bill passed. No more pork projects. No more wars. Bring our troops home and protect our own interests instead of everyone else's.

April 15, 2010 at 4:04 pm |
  30. Patrick from Westminster Maryland

Education, education and education. Without a serious effort to cure the ever widening divide in Math, Science and Business skills between the USA and other emerging powerhouses like India and China, the USA will not remain the lone superpower and enjoy the freedoms it now takes for granted.

April 15, 2010 at 4:10 pm |
  31. Simon/Orlando

Back into the capitalist economy to help private companies grow and create jobs. Certainly not into more government jobs and federal union pension funds. That doesn't help the economy grow. It just creates more reasons to raise taxes.

April 15, 2010 at 4:11 pm |
  32. Bill Weber

The taxes we all pay are for the improvement and services for the American people. No matter how many dollars we send out of the country we are not appreciated and it is time we spent our tax dollars where they belong-here at home.
    If we even took out half of what we send overseas and spent it here for the timprovement of the lives of the American people we would see an immediate improvement in our shcools, transportation, military and other government services.
    I feel for others, but I care more for our people who are suffering with no jobs, lower standards of living and a feeling that the world is just passing us by.
    Bill
    Port St. Lucie, Florida

April 15, 2010 at 4:13 pm |
  33. Steve, Clifton, VA

If I were given the choice of where "all" US Tax Dollars were spent, I would like to see a legislative law enacted which would require that all US tax dollars collected over a 4 year period be dedicated exclusively towards bring down the Deficit and/or towards American domestic jobs creation initiatives which would solely benefit US citizens only .....

Steve

April 15, 2010 at 4:13 pm |
  34. Jesse J Vancouver Canada

Hi Jack,

Put my money straight to the national debt, because that is the big white elephant that no one is talking about but could end up being the end of America and saddling our great great grand children with an unpayable burden.

Jesse J
    Vancouver Canada

April 15, 2010 at 4:15 pm |
  35. Greg H - Minneapolis

Jack, if it were up to me I would want everyone's tax dollars to go towards only those areas specified by the U.S. Constitution that define what the government is allowed to do. Anything else should be left to the states, as the Tenth Amendment specifies. When private companies operate their business the way the government does, they go OUT of business and sometimes end up in jail. We should expect no less for our government.

April 15, 2010 at 4:21 pm |
  36. Marlene

Americans are angry about the inefficiency of government, not necessarily where the taxes go. It's to bad the GOP leadership has devoted so much time to the "Party of NO", instead of finding ways to end the waste, fraud and abuse found in many government programs. The Dept. of Ag paying fees to farmers who are dead? That is just one example. Both parties need to end the silliness and devote themselves to making government work. Marlene in Mich

April 15, 2010 at 4:21 pm |
  37. Jim Z..Ft. Worth...Texas

Reduce this ridiculous expenditure on defense and finally make the country safe from financial collapse. We spend 1000% percent more to defend this country than does China. We spend more to incarcerate our own citizens than China does to protect itself from the world. We house 25% of the world's prison population. The list of our shameful spending is long and unsustainable. To complain about a healthcare initiative, now law, is moronic when the waste we incur each and every year is the true
    tragedy and terroristic threat to the U.S. A.....

April 15, 2010 at 4:23 pm |
  38. Michael H. in Albuquerque, NM

You CAN choose where your tax dollars go. As for me I would choose that my tax dollars went to affordable child care, a decent retirement pension, free or inexpensive university education, job retraining, paid sick leave, paid parental leave, ample vacations, affordable housing, senior care, efficient mass transportation, and more. I would also choose that my tax dollars would NOT go to paying interest to the FED, because they print money out of thin air anyway. I would not pay for wars or the military industrial complex, because they are working on behalf of global corporations not America. I would not pay one cent to private health insurance companies...fiqure out why.

April 15, 2010 at 4:25 pm |
  39. joe m

its not flashy, or profound, or even that interesting, but my choice would be to pay for the debt. what good would all the other projects be if we are being crushed by mounting debt? in my own life, when i get a raise or extra cash, i put most of that into paying my debt and when possible put away some for the furture. our freedom is intimately tied to our ability to manage our financial obligations.

April 15, 2010 at 4:27 pm |
  40. Eric R.

back in my pocket!

Eric R.
    Washington D.C

April 15, 2010 at 4:29 pm |
  41. Meg from Troy, Ohio

Jack–
    I would want my money to go to rebuilding our infrastructure. I want it to be spent on improving America and life for Americans like me.

April 15, 2010 at 4:30 pm |
  42. Paul from Hawaii

Easy question Jack. I believe that ALL taxes collected should pay for whatever it takes to provide for our NATIONAL SECURITY. ALL OTHER "social programs", that are currently being funded by tax dollars, should be paid for by Americans who "feel" sorry for the needy...that money coming out of THEIR POCKTS.

April 15, 2010 at 4:32 pm |
  43. Jerry Johns Creek, GA

The absolutely best place I can think of is back into my own pocket.

April 15, 2010 at 4:33 pm |
  44. Jack in Boynton Beach Florida

If I was given my choice I would have my taxes go to public financing of elections instead of our Supreme Courts choice of both foreign and domestic corporations controlling our elections. The Washington lobbyists could then stand on the unemployment line.

April 15, 2010 at 4:35 pm |
  45. Mark, Oklahoma City

To help pay for my daughter's college education instead of some welfare mom who is 22 with four kids.

April 15, 2010 at 4:36 pm |
  46. Mountain Lady from PA

Our taxes should not be used to pay health care costs for all our representatives and senators who voted against the bill!

April 15, 2010 at 4:37 pm |
  47. Gary Las Vegas

Anywhere but the Federal Reserve ! The sixteenth amendment is the biggest lie ever put over on the American people.

April 15, 2010 at 4:38 pm |
  48. Aaron

I would like to see the tax dollars be spent in a way that would be common to how they do it, but it doesn't really matter considering tax dollars don't really exist this fiscal year. We are running a $1.5 trillion deficit this year, so why don't we eliminate all federal income tax revenues for this year, and have Washington try to spend only $1.5 trillion, and that's it. Let's see what this does for the economy, and to those nail-biters in Washington D.C. Just a thought....

Cedar City,
    Utah

April 15, 2010 at 4:41 pm |
  49. Brian McCarthy

Right back to us. FIC is nothing but the government preying on each and every American's freedom of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

April 15, 2010 at 4:42 pm |
  50. Jerome the Ex-Pat

Jack as an ex-pat living in Canada I love the hear the Americans complaining about their taxes as we are really really taxed here.
    As to where they should go well I could tell you as i just finished a cross country trip after visiting my brother in Oregon.
    first to health care My brothers son knee operation but it would cost him an additional $3000.00 over his (very good) insurance so he has to wait. So put them to health care its no cost here and no waiting as Americans seem to think.
    Also the interstate system is so run down, mostly in red states, that as a 'tourist" I was embarrassed for you fix those roads and pick up the dead animals on the sides.
    I now very glad that I live in Canada we seem to have a bit more going for us due to our taxes.

April 15, 2010 at 4:43 pm |
  51. Michael Lorton, Virginia

Jack: Now that is real simple-I would like to see the taxes that I pay-recycled back into my "pocket."

April 15, 2010 at 4:44 pm |
  52. Bonnie from NJ

I don't want any of my money to go to either of these wars we are fighting, they are both senseless money pits. I also do not want my dollars going to foreign aid, I am all for helping people but not when you cannot afford it. I recently read that we are giving Haiti over a billion dollars in aid, when my neighbors cannot find jobs and are losing their homes. How many middle class home would a billion dollars have saved? I do want my money to go infrastructure to rebuild badly deteriating roads and bridges in this country. Our education system is an embarassment and needs much work including but not limited to money. My main thought about this is I want my money spent here,

April 15, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
  53. MNResident

I want my tax dollars to come right back to me. If half the country is not paying one penny in taxes, then the other half (including me) shouldn't either. We all get the government services. Either we all pay for it or no one should pay. THAT is true tax fairness.....

April 15, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
  54. Clint

They should NOT go to funding tea Party events like the last tea Party in DC where $14,000 in tax payer money was used to stage the event.

April 15, 2010 at 4:48 pm |
  55. Maggie

If we had the Fair Tax we would not have this mess!

April 15, 2010 at 4:49 pm |
  56. Jeff in Houston, Texas

To help fund any company to put us ahead on alternative energy. To help fund an education system that is tough, and we produce the best we can in terms of an educated society (Republicans and Corproations positively HATE educated people that ask pointed questions). To programs that help middle Americans take back their country from corporate ghouls.

And not one thin dime to anything that even remotely smells of religion of ANY kind.

April 15, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
  57. Nick

I think the tax dollars just needs to stay domestic. The billions we've wasted and continue to waste in Iraq and Afganistan are a much bigger problem than any local pork spending. If it weren't for these pointless wars we wouldn't be dealing with record deficits.

April 15, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
  58. Phil-Washington (state)

If I had my "choice", I certainly wouldn't be paying 41% of every tax dollar I "contribute" to the Dept. of Defense.

April 15, 2010 at 4:52 pm |
  59. Greg

I want every dollar of my taxes to go toward the programs of my country, to incude defense, social security, medicare, or even the national debt. I hear people complain about the cost of things like health care, defense, or the Constellation/Orion program, when I haven't heard one complaint about all of the money we give to other countries. That needs to be cutoff first before we cutoff or downsize the services for the people of our own country. Our people come first.

April 15, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
  60. Harold Trainer, USAF RET

Pay off our debt and invest in the human resources and physical infrastructures of our country to meet the needs of energy and climate management efficiencies and conservation while increasing the human resources capital of our people. Quit supporting the wars and department of defense.

April 15, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
  61. Brandon

Maybe the government should take a basic personal finance class. If you have X dollars coming in, and Y dollars going out, make sure X is greater than or equal to Y.

April 15, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  62. Mel

Hey Jack,
    You are wrong about us not having any choice in the matter. It is time to throw all the idiots out of Washington and start over. We need to elect the ones that will do the peoples business, plain and simple. It is time to throw the garbage out people. No encumbent in Washingtone deserves to be re-elected to a second term. Vote against all encumbents in Nov

April 15, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  63. Chris Henry

I'd like to see my tax dollars go to education, infrastructure and closing our borders.

I'd like to NOT see my tax dollars (yes, I'm one of the only 53% who actually pay federal income tax) go to Afghanistan- we could be there 50 years and the minute we leave things will return to they way they were and the longer we're there they more we are hated. Let the world work out it's own problems.

Let's be honest- This country has the means to close it's borders. it's only the political contributions, lobbyists and PACs of big business which needs the cheap labor that keeps them open. When I was a kid Americans picked fruit and worked in restaurants, don't give me that lie that we can't do without illegal alien workers here, that is a lie.

April 15, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  64. Richard

I would like most of my tax dollars to go into domestic projects. New infrastructure, better education, more money to pay off the national debt. Cut over seas spending and spend it over here.

April 15, 2010 at 4:55 pm |
  65. Keith from Wisconsin

1) Defense 20%, roads 5%, physically diabled 5%, my mortgage 70% to help with debt in America

April 15, 2010 at 4:56 pm |
  66. Jeremy Manjorin

EDUCATION!
    Everything else is really stop-gap. If we don't plan for our future, hire qualified teachers, strengthen our education system, infuse new learning methods and technology, and really invest in our children's education...we will have so much more on our plate in 20 years...and it will make today seem like the good ol' days.

April 15, 2010 at 4:57 pm |
  67. Robert Gunderen

Hi Jack,

This is a very interesting question especially since so many people feel they pay too much in taxes yet are generally unwilling to give up any services that they themselves need.

I am in education and feel strongly that if this country is to maintain its status in the world we need to do the best we can in educating our children. I believe strongly that this no longer means "through high school" but should now include a public funded college education. I want my tax dollars to go to improved and increased public education.

April 15, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
  68. Ray

Jack taxes should be going DOWN as should government spending if we want to get this economy moving. The focus should be on assuring everyone pays their fair share, including corporations. We should consider a tax surcharge on those companies that export US jobs overseas. Our welfare system still needs to be reformed. If you go on public assistance you should not receive more money for having more children. Those of us who work don't get a raise if we have more children. We make do with what we have. Taxes can go down when we can change the mind set some of us have that we are "entitled". Wake up folks. We aren't entitled to a damn thing we don't earn!!

April 15, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
  69. Scott Stodden

We want Jobs, Jobs, Jobs, Plain and simple Jack! As Congressman Ron Paul stated the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are bankrupting our country and if we don't get out of there we're going to see a national debt that we've never seen before, leave the wars alone and cut spending and raise taxes so we can sustain and revive this economy!

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

April 15, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
  70. Darren - Detroit

To American owned and operated companies ... no more sending billions overseas to everyone else in the world with their hand out.

April 15, 2010 at 4:59 pm |
  71. Lene

To be honest. I think I can do a better job spending my own money than the feds.

April 15, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  72. Lance, Ridgecrest, Ca

Jack, it would so much easier to say where I DO NOT my tax dollars to go:
    1. Welfare, zero, nada, none
    2. Foreign aid/welfare, zero, nada, none
    3. State peculiar pork projects, zero, nada, none
    4. Nationalized welfare health care, absolutely NONE

Bottom line, Jack, give me the federal budget, and a red pen and I'll cut the budget in half the first run through, then we'll find out where the rest of the waste and fraud are hidden.

April 15, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  73. Gary AZ

Why is it mandatory medical insurance is a bad thing but mandatory income tax is a good thing?
    All taxes should be used in the U.S. for U.S. citizens first and foremost.
    When our adults and kids have full medical coverage, when our roads are in perfect repair, when every home has water, electric, sewage and every person has 3 meals on their table everyday – in short when the American people are fully taken care of.....................

Then and only then should any foreign entity be considered for a short term loan of American taxpayer dollars.

USA first

April 15, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  74. Mike in Scottsdale

Wow, this is a hard one. I would like my tax money to go to repairing our government. Rewriting the laws to stop the corruption that runs deep in the system.

April 15, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  75. jim Blevins

Obviously, no one wants waste. I see only problems coming from our wars and our foreign bases. Otherwise, Federal expenditures seem to be good. Savings from our eliminating imperialism would make excellent payments on our national debt.

Jim, Craig, CO

April 15, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  76. John, Fort Collins, CO

Rather than ending up in the hands of fat cats in Washington and on Wall Street, I would like to see my tax dollars going to non-profit organizations like Northern Colorado Friends of Ferals who feed, inoculate, spay, and neuter homeless cats that would otherwise be euthanized. There are thousands of worthy causes that would make much better and efficient use of my money than the current recipients.

April 15, 2010 at 6:02 pm |
  77. Mark

To keep me safe and provide for the needs of the country. Once I pay my taxes, it's not my money any longer. I've given my money for the freedom I have. Our warriors pay for our freedom, all I go is give money to keep the show running. Proud to be a taxpayer.

April 15, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  78. John Weires

Take care of our National Parks. I've been to many and they falling apart.
    Give our military personnel a raise instead of building another bomber. Fix our roads. This last winter caused pot holes that would swallow a HumVee.

April 15, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  79. steve- virginia beach

Travel expenses for each Congressional candidate to appear on "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?". One week before the elections.

April 15, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
  80. Tom, Santa Barbara CA

A new single-payer health care system.

April 15, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
  81. andy

It should not be spent on the massive govt entitlement system in this country. We are paying for way to many govt handouts and its only being paid for by a few.

April 15, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
  82. Joe CE

April 15, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
  83. Tim M

The money should go for the deficit first. Let's pay for what we can afford and not what we want. Maybe we could even give ourselves some money too. What a concept.

April 15, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
  84. dave from fresno,ca

Jack-i want my tax dollars to go where the constitution intended them to go to.Stop the waste,pork,and vote buying entitlement programs. How can 47% of the people noy pay their share? I say a national sales tax to replace the income tax.

April 15, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
  85. Kevin, Co Springs

Back in my pocket where it belongs!

April 15, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  86. Oleg

Right now? They should go on paying off our national dept and investments like career-oriented education and preventive health care that are expected to pay off in more jobs/higher salaries/lower expenses in future. If your credit card is maxed out, any financial advisor will tell you to treat your diabetes and finish your dental assistant training but otherwise do without most luxuries or comforts until you are solvent. Why should it be different for us collectively. Do we really need to subsidize new mortgages today or can people rent a smaller place for a few years until both they and the whole country saves some money?

April 15, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  87. Giovanni Rossi

Of course I would love don't pay tax and still have services (social security, Medicare) as the Tea Party fools are screaming!

Stop the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and invest the money in education, infrastructure and for a public health care as competitor with the private shark companies

Make the lobbying illegal so finally our representatives can agree to provide substantial economic incentives for alternative sources of energy. (Solar panel , efficient cars for instance)

I don't want a weak public sector as the Republicans wish in order to preserve the no rules of Wall Street or financial sector "Super Cast" of riches who decide of our lives and future.

I want an efficient public sector where abuses and privileges have to be punished with severity
    Giovanni Rossi Boston, MA

April 15, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  88. Henry

From Austin

1. Schools and education
    2. National Defense
    3. Limited social Services–very limited
    4. Foster small innovative small businesses
    5. Government Sponsored Political stuff–get away from special interest
    6. Infastructure

We need tto spread the tax burden around–whats the use of working hard to make more money if you just have to pay more for everything.

We should all be treated fair and equal. Heck–i'd even go for a simple graduated tax–However I wish we had a bit more antitrust actions taking place,. I am not against big business–Just against HUGE BUSINESS (WALMART for example)

Late

April 15, 2010 at 6:08 pm |
  89. dana

I would love to pay taxes, so that my money can help our education system. Problem is that I don't even make enough to help out. I am the poor, the ones that used to be middle class...

April 15, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  90. Sami Abbasi

To support domestic needs, not to fund Israel and its oppression of Palestinians or wars abroad that only compound fear and hate of the US, such as in Iraq!

April 15, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  91. Donaldo

Jack:
    Taxes should be spent on what government should provide, security.
    That is it, pay our military well, let the balance stay with the citizens to spend as they choose.
    Government at all levels has proven to be completely irresponsible with our tax money, it is disgraceful.

April 15, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  92. Joe CE

The thing that is unfair is that 10% of the people get 90% of the income. There should be an absolute minimum tax of $10 on everyone who makes more than $50000. I would like my tax to go toward job creation, and would like to eliminate tax sherlters and most business subsidies.

April 15, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  93. eyewitnesstocrime

western Virgina In the last 6 months seems the super rich are getting,well, super richer,its coming from somewhere! Cutting back on the war machine would be a start,there thats my 2 cents.

April 15, 2010 at 6:11 pm |
  94. pete at the beach

To feed and clothe the poor, fix the environment, prosecute the torturers and warmongers and educate the tea party about the real Constitution

April 15, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
  95. Tristan

Hopefully my taxes will go to the less fortunate among us. I fear, though, that they are going to corporate welfare and the military industrial complex.

April 15, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
  96. Ted

I'd like to see my taxes go toward funding programs that actually reduce violence – such as a U.S. Department of Peace – rather than fostering violence through the Dept. of Justice and Dept. of Defense.

April 15, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
  97. Jeremy in Albuquerque

Personal therapists and anti-anxiety medication for all political conservatives in our country!

April 15, 2010 at 6:13 pm |
  98. Tony in Idaho

Certainly not for superfluous military hardware and foreign adventures like Iraq and Afghantistan. I would prefer my $$$ go toward improving the lives of all Americans: health care, education, job training, infrastructure.

April 15, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
  99. Ken in NC

I would flood China with them. When their economy is flooded with worthless money it will crash their economy putting us all on an equal economic footing.

April 15, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  100. yolanda

I want my tax dollars to go 90 % to the necessities and 10% to discretionary
    Necessities are
    Food for mind and body:
    –which are education and universal healthcare
    Clothing–national security
    And Shelter–roads, bridges, housing

April 15, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  101. dennis, in pa

if i could choose, i would send it to reduce the national dept. however, i don't really care. i pay my taxes and as long as the irs/government stays out of my life and my house i don't care. 47% don't pay income taxes? make them pay! everyone should contribute to the stability of the nation,state,county and city/town they live in. when i see i pay taxes and they are wasted why should i care? what can any single person due to change the system?

April 15, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  102. Brian

I'll tell you where it shouldn't go, to private companies like Banks, pure and simple.

April 15, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  103. Megan

Abolish the IRS.

April 15, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  104. Scott

I would prefer my tax dollars go to improve education and the environment.

April 15, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  105. Bizz Quarryville, Pennsylvania

One place I would not like our taxes to go anymore is funding wars and nation building. No more bailing out Wall Street. What I would like to see instead is money being spent on education and our infrastructure. Our bridges are falling down new highways need built. And we are ranked 18th in education among industrialized nations. We need to make money available for small businesses. In other words we need to start taking care of our own.

April 15, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  106. Steve

I woulod like for my tax dollars to go to things such as National Defense, limited infrastructure not social welfare items. Enough is enough. i deserve my money more than the government thinks they do!

April 15, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  107. Mike Brown

I would like my tax dollars to go to –

1. Fully Funded Education
    2. Fully Funded Public Safety (fire and police)

Stop the Furlow's with our most necessary jobs – and furlow those fat cats in Wall Street.

April 15, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  108. Carol

Quality healthcare and quality education, then the people would be healthy and smart enough to take care of the rest.

April 15, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  109. Jeremy D from Michigan

April 15, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  110. Andrew Winsor

That answer is easy jack....in my pocket.

April 15, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  111. Whitney

Education and Small Business support!

April 15, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  112. kathleen haycraft

Simple question, simple answer. PAY DOWN THE DEBT. When we owe Mexico 20.7 BILLION dollars and about 1.8TRILLION dollars to China and Japan it is the obvious.

April 15, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  113. john galvin

To the hungry,the homeless,and our soldiers and their families.

April 15, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  114. Thom Richer

Thanks for asking, Jack. I can tell you where I do not want them to go. The main one being the Iraq/Afghanistan/Pakistan or any other "stan" wars. Pretentious "Space" programs would follow. Funny how tens of thousand of jobs in other sectors of our economy can fall by the wayside without any fanfare at all but when job looses in the "Space" program is a possibility, everyone is up in arms and defending these elite jobs. Next would be not another dime to Corporate America "bailouts." Another important one is the outrageous retirement and benefit packages given to members of our State and Federal Congress.

Thanks, Jack.

Thom Richer
    Negaunee, MI

April 15, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  115. Carol Ann Reiff

Our tax money should go to education on every level. Teachers should be paid more.

April 15, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  116. Steve

I believe the tax dollars should be spent on education. Lets face it, the future is based upon our youth and therefore who else needs the funding more? We need to keep up with other countries in education and currently we are falling behind.

April 15, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  117. Teresa Jones

I would like my money to go back into this country so that we could have a better quality of life. It disgusts me that the public schools are in disarray, crime is up, roads are a mess – in other words – we the people loose because our tax dollars don't work for us – instead they are going to somewhere else ... like Iraq or Afghanistan.

April 15, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  118. Eric Estrads

I would want our tax dollars to go into our own country. We spend billions on foreign aid alone.

April 15, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  119. Laura

Certainly taxes are necessary to pay for things we can't organize ourselves, like safety, roads, education, hospitals; these should be priority.

On another note, the tea party folks who are complaining about taxes are forgetting that we have to fund two wars in the midst of everything else. Do they think the wars will just pay for themselves? Most likely they all voted for the last President who got us into those wars, so they should be responsible for paying the bill – which means TAXES!

April 15, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  120. Dominick

April 15, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  121. Sharyn McIntyre

Space, Education, anything positive–anything but war–nothing negative.

April 15, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  122. Guy from Hawaii

Aloha Jack,
    I want my taxes to stay in this country. Not one penny outside the U.S. until we get our own problems fixed. If we need to pay our troops to occupy some place lets pay them to occupy places like South Chicago so kids don't get killed on their way to school. I believe every bomb dropped on another country worsens our National Security it does not help it. The rest of it I want to go to buy enough socks to fill the mouths of Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin!

April 15, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  123. Teresa (Toronto ON)

Jack,

If your looking in from the outside from another country really American's don't pay that high of taxes. I am always pleased when I go shopping in USA and only have to pay HALF of the taxes then what I do here!

April 15, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  124. Jerry

I would like the taxes I pay to go for much of what they do go for. More importantly, I would like to see my taxes go to paying down the National Debt.

April 15, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  125. Kathleen

For health care, of course. I have no insurance and I am a nurse. Also, would pay taxes to shut up the tea partiers who most likely all have health insurance. They don't seem to want ME to have it although I most likely take care of one of their relatives.

April 15, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  126. mike

Where would I like my tax dollars to go? How about $1000 to every tea party supporter to move to Canada? We have 3 solutions to the mess Bush and his cronies got us into...increase taxes, drastically cut programs (Medicare, Pentagon funding, etc), or print more money, therefore passing our debt to our children.....lets realize we are in this together, and have to decide what works best for ALL of America...maybe our tax dollars should go to provide bonuses to Congressional representatives who can figure out how best to tax Exxon and other oil companies, who pay so little in taxes.....

April 15, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  127. Benjamin Lindemuth-McRobie

Jack, I would like more of the money to go to those programs you talked about, and not towards the interest we owe on our deficit spending.

April 15, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  128. Sue

My tax dollars should be spent on education, on technology, on taking care of our future – our kids. My tax dollars should NOT be spent on bailing out enormous banks who gambled on the housing market, they should not be spent on rebuilding infrastructure in foreign countries where we are at war, and they should not be spent on feeding and housing illegal immigrants such as the case with Habitat for Humanity housing. We need the technology to compete with China and we need to spend some of those tax dollars creating jobs in America and get our citizens working again.

April 15, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  129. Matt, NY

Let's put it simply, I want it to come back to us in some way or another! Put more money in our pockets so we can spend more money and get the economy going OURSELVES.

April 15, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  130. Chris

Go ahead and send my tax dollars to healthcare. But, as a physician and "goverment employee," let me work Monday through Friday 8-5 and retire after 20 years...

April 15, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  131. Jerry Johnson

Tax dollars should be used to improve primary education, repair of all those bridges that are ready to collapse and to upgrade the power distribution systems.

April 15, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  132. Michael Shapiro

It's not so much where it goes but how it's spent. Congress creates programs that appeal to the American public, but no one is appointed or responsible for watching the store or the cash register. Abuse and corrpution are rampant within every program they have created, including Social Security, Medicaid and Medicare. They talk about ending it, but as soon as the publicity stops, so does the oversight.

April 15, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  133. Pamela Stowe

I would like to see our tax dollars spent on education, roads, bridges and pulbic transportation.
    No more money on war. We need to take care of our own country and our own citizens. Currently we are in the slow painful process of national suicide.

April 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  134. Chris Coffman

Our taw dollars should go to improve our cities,states and country as a whole. We should NOT be involved in a war that is draining our economy and for which is not proving beneficial to our cause (what cause anyway??) If the U.S. is going to thrive (FOR EVERYONE

April 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  135. MannyFromCali

Well Jack, id like the government to utilize my tax dollars into education and young people, because they are our future.

April 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  136. Jacque D (Oregon)

A whole lot less to defense and much more towards domestic. Help pay down the deficit and aid to the "recent" unemployed and revamping, monitoring and rearranging the welfare programs for transition into employment instead of the dependence that is created by dropping people cold turkey who can and do want to to work.

April 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  137. Gerry Straatemeier

Jack, the Pentagon and Defense Department take up more than half of the taxes I pay every year.
    As a lifelong peace activist, instead I want that money I earned to go to education, health care, green energy, infrastructure, research and development – the things that would make life better. Why do we need military bases all around the world? And as our troops come back fromthe middle east, please don't send them anywhere else.

April 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  138. Laura

My tax dollar priorities:
    1. Reducing the deficit
    2. Education
    3. Healthcare
    4. Environment
    5. Assistance programs for those in need

Where I don't want my money going:
    1. Military bases over seas
    2. Defense spending
    3. NASA/space research – We shouldn't be exploring other planets until the problems on ours are taken care of.

April 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  139. Mike, New York

I would want my tax dollars to go to the ones who need help the most. Homeless people, orphaned children, elderly people, and to rebuilding this nation that has been destroyed since the year 2000.

April 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  140. Dave in Nashville

Use a few million to buy out every congressional members job and start from scratch. Eliminate departments altogether like energy and education and buy out those employees, then eliminate foreign aid for ten years. Good start, better message.

April 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  141. Sue

How I do not want my taxes spent.
    I really resent having to pay for George Bush's 2 unnecessary wars. They have been a boil under my skin ever since he went into Iraq, killed their President and bombed their homes and business's.

We need to take of social security, medicare, education etc., but not the wars.

April 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  142. Kevin

These tea tottlers are idiots. It is so easy to critique and broadly criticize without specifics and without alternative proposals. Where do I want my taxes... just for them I'll say health care.

April 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  143. Jim

I think that some tax dollars should be used to pay down the national debt.

April 15, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  144. Boomer

Jack,

Stop confusing "no Federal Tax liability" with Americans "not paying taxes." These people have taxes withdrawn from their paychecks by the government but get a refund at tax time. This is designated as a "tax loan" to the government and they make interest on all money collected. The real tragedy is that nearly half of all Americans don't make enough money to qualify for a Federal tax liability. Stop making poor Americans feel guilty, they got it bad enough as it is!

April 15, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  145. maria, california

I'll tell you where I don't want it to go – ANY services and benefits to illegal aliens. Cut them off and save a bundle! I live in California where they get everything (the U.S. citizen does not) and we are tired of it. So more money should go to enforcement of our immigration laws. Send a message. No more!

April 15, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  146. Andy in Pinehurst

Reduce our debt. If not the debt use the money to secure the borders.

April 15, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  147. clifford Rocque

I would like to see income taxes and the IRS disappear, I think we shouid pay a national sales tax on every dollar we spend that would let us cut out a huge bureaucracy and send that archaic tax code packing, who understands it anyway? That way only those folks spending money would be paying taxes , too simple? probably

April 15, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  148. susan

Education! Real honest education, and NOT the Texas kind. susan

April 15, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  149. Isabel

Taxes should provide the best education, the best infrastructure and the best medical care we can afford.
    When the people feel safe in their homes, know that they will be cared for when they are sick, and know that both they, and their children, will have a chance to achieve success in life then the nation will be strong.

April 15, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  150. Joseph Nicolas

It is so fany that some American think that Republican know how to spend their money wisely. Jack check this out. When Georges Bush send the CIA over to Haiti to kidnap an elected presidedent, was that a wise way to spend the money or the war in IRAQ. I notice whenever a Republican makes a decision it is always popular. I'm telling if Obama decides to invade Iran right now all republican will follow because it about making some body else's life miserable.

God loves Haiti

April 15, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  151. Virginia Gordon

I would want more of my tax dollars to be spent on education.

April 15, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  152. CJ

After seeing billions of dollars spent in Iraq, not to mention the priceless lives of thousands, the one thing I know for sure is that I'd rather see my money spent on healing,,, as opposed to killing.

CJ

Austin, TX

April 15, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  153. Murray

Jack,
    I would give every penny and more to NASA! For every dollar they get from us, they return ten to the economy. They are responsible for ten out of every one hundred patents filed in the US. Why has the government since the days of Nixon, hog tied the the hands of the greatest cash cow in the world and ransomed the future of these last generations?

April 15, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  154. penny wallace

Health and education - without the former the latter never happens.

April 15, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  155. Jose M - Aurora, IL

I would prefer that my tax dollars go towards improving education. The only way that our children will be able to solve the problems of the future, as well as the problems we are creating for them(including but not limited to the spiraling debt and climate change) is if they have a strong foundation that can only come from an education system targeted towards the industries of tomorrow. I'm tired of my tax dollars going towards endless conflicts around the globe. Americans should have the right to vote on whether or not we go to war, instead of the current system where wars are fought solely for financial or political advantage.

April 15, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  156. Lloyd Roberts

Let's authorize some stimulus money to install massaging cushions for all of the members of Congress. Taxpayers can call in and authorize one minute of massage for "good" votes and an electric jolt for bad votes. Perhaps that would result in some members deciding to give up their "hot-seats" and go home!

April 15, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  157. Tammie Biddle

I think the government should have to answer for all millions and millions of dollars that they pay out to fraudlent claims, be it through medicare; social security or as we found out today tax refunds. Maybe if they could keep better track of the money they are already collecting, they could stop increasing and/or creating new taxes.

April 15, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  158. Dennis/Missouri

I want my tax dollars to go back in my pocket.

April 15, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  159. MacFab From Nacogdoches

Innovations/education, health care and other sensible stuff you mentioned. However, defense spending need to be reduced and a stop should be put to all these irresponsible tax cut that has only worsen our depth situation.Americans pay less tax than any other developed country out there and Americans keep on complaining with you (Jack) leading the charge even though they still get tax refund. Tell Politicians who promise tax cut and still want to reduce national depth to be honest for once, for the number will not add up.

April 15, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  160. Mike

I would give my taxes to NASA, and other science organizations. We aren't going to be able to fight our way out of the American empires collapse, we need to think our way out.

April 15, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  161. shadeed

hey, jack that an easy answer, pay for college education so when students graduate they are not buried in debt that they cannot afford especially now when the economy is down and most graduates cannot ffind a job!!!!!!!!!!

April 15, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  162. George Harris

Give my tax money to the Winos of America. They will spend it at the liquor store... The liquor store owner will buy a new car...The car dealer will buy a house..The Realtor will go on a vacation...etc. At least it stays in America where we get another shot at it, as opposed to foreign aid which we never see again.

George Harris
    Summerfield, FL

April 15, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  163. Edwin

Straight up Our money should only go to thugs that we need this country to keep going no more spending on overseas anything war, redoing their government or even training their troops if we want big business to fail then why not let countrys fail too. We need our money to go to helping low income families, that new healthcare plan (not thought out to well but were stuck for it for now), fixing our towns, cities and streets, schools, and finaly start saving in to an account that we can't touch no matter what to pay back our childrens debit I'm 19 and I already know they'ved use my kids money ten fold. If I have to save for retirment so does my government.

April 15, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  164. Bob in Kansas City

A destination for my tax dollars?....hmmm, first place would be to fund a constitutional convention to "fix" the first amendment getting corporations and their lobbyists out of the capital building...shoveling money at congress is free speech?...how stupid do they think we are?.

April 15, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  165. Margie

Watching the budget cuts from Mental Health dollars since 2000 and am seeing more cuts and less services here in Orange County. I would like to see tax dollars go to this population, as record shows, there is an unbelievalbe increase in disorders both in children and adults. It seems as though this population has been long forgotton about. It worries me that our government has no cares about these unforchunate people, – who by the way, do vote

April 15, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  166. Jeff

I'd want my tax dollars to go to any legitimate federal expense EXCEPT to congressional saleries for any elected official that take money, for any reason, from a corporate entity, or to any future corporate bailouts of any kind.

April 15, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  167. Remus in Olympia, WA

Our taxes should go more to education so people will understand how a good tax system works. Hopefully that would stop people from saying we are taxed too much and cause them to suggest ways the taxes could be better used for the good of us all.

April 15, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  168. Kent

Jack,

47% don't pay taxes (neither does Exxon). And 50% say the tax system is unfair. Chances are, then, that many of those saying the system is unfair are also those not paying any taxes. Perhaps they say its unfair because they aren't paying enough? I joke.

If people understood that the top-earning 20% of households earned over half of the total amount of earned income in the USA, then maybe they'd have a better appreciation of our tax system. All we are seeing in these polls is vast ignorance in our public.

Where should tax dollars go? To security, education, infrastructure, research, health care, etc. In other words, to all of the things that it currently goes to but with more care to weed out waste.

April 15, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  169. harris d

Short-term i would want my tax dollars to go towards green jobs. But in the long-term i would want my tax dollars to go to education , because when you have better educated young people that means better bussiness owners which directly creates new job's. I think there needs to be more invesment into small bussiness.

April 15, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  170. Chapman in Georgia

Taxes should be spend on education. We as a nation should do our best to make sure our children have every opportunity to become the countries future leaders.

April 15, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  171. Bertha in

Taxes will always be needed to run the country, of course. What burns me up is when a SINGLE DIME of it is wasted. Our present Congress needs to go home, and we need to elect new representatives who will be good stewards of our monies. Tax money is not "free money". We all worked very hard in order to contribute. Wouldn't it be great if we had access to the personal monies of all Congressional members and we could decide what to do with it. Jack, we could buy a boat, some condos, a plane or two, travel around the world and on and on. I wonder how they would like it? Oh yes, and isn't they give themselves a pay raise in this environment? With the job they've done, they should cut their pay in half to start with and go from there.

April 15, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  172. Joe - Chicago

It should go to education,rebuild our infrastructure, more spending on food inspections, regulation of the financial system, a MODEST national defense and public safety.

It should not be used to fund wars, to have hundreds of military sites, to fund other countries, protect other countries, to build expansive embassies and over-reaching entitlement programs.

April 15, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  173. Fritz

The Federal government can spend for national defense and agencies like the FDA that regulate product safety nationally. We also need to spend for a national police org- the FBI, immigration and border control. That's it. No UN, IMF, foreign aid, education (other than the mil academies) welfare, social security, medicare. Obviously, we'll need a transition period to get rid of the last two because Americans are now adicted to these socialist programs. Commerce supporting activities like the air traffic control system should be paid for by those who fly, etc. We'd save tons of money just be getting rid of all the bureaucrats and lobbyists.

April 15, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  174. JLP

I would not mind how the money was spent if everyone had to pay. I see not reasonable reason why 47% do not pay income tax. I believe there should be a basic amount for all americans , no matter what their income level is.

April 15, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  175. harris KY

I would want my tax dollars to go to education , because when you have better educated young people that means better bussiness owners which directly creates new job's. I think there needs to be more invesment into small bussiness.

April 15, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  176. Andrew From MPLS, MN

The further from my home the government entity is, the less it should tax me. Let the citizens of each state take care of each other and let the Federal Government protect us from threats from abroad. If I don't need Congress to fill a pothole in my street then I don't need the deciding where Minnesota is building the next street.

April 15, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  177. lynne j. in nc

Tax monies should go to the basics, schools, homes, public safety, healthcare, power grids and transportation which have been left unmanaged for years. If there is anything else left, NASA and other stuff of that nature would be up next.

The biggest waste to me is the salaries of the government officials who should be at bottom making no more than $20,000 a year with no benefits. That is the only way they'd really get how poor people live. Not being messy, but it is about survival. And I think members of Congress need a dose.

April 15, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  178. Canada

Some American dont believe in helping each other. In canada we if one does not have food to eat. It makes me feel bad and its not good for our sociaty. America is the world #1 economy at least for now. What is wrong about providing good quality care for the citizen of the United stated. I dont get the opposition behind this.

A wheathy country deserves a weathly sociaty if you want to do business with the community of Nations. In Canada I'm happy all of us are healty

April 15, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  179. Bertha in SC

Taxes will always be needed to run the country, of course. What burns me up is when a SINGLE DIME of it is wasted. Our present Congress needs to go home, and we need to elect new representatives who will be good stewards of our monies. Tax money is not "free money". We all worked very hard in order to contribute. Wouldn't it be great if we had access to the personal monies of all Congressional members and we could decide what to do with it? Jack, we could buy a boat, some condos, a plane or two, travel around the world and on and on. I wonder how they would like it? Oh yes, and didn't they give themselves a pay raise in this environment? With the job they've done, they should cut their pay in half to start with and go down from there.

April 15, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  180. Lew from West Covina, CA

Hey Jack,
    I want my tax dollars to pay for local and national security, single-payer health insurance, maintaining infrastructure and public education.

Why do I, living on a pension, have to pay tons more in income tax than the owners of the LA Dodgers?

April 15, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  181. Tredans

Jack if I had a choice, I would use more of our tax money on Education. As we all know, our education system is crap! I'm fearful that we as a country will be left even more behind. It has been foolish of America to think that every system that we have is always the best. Point is, America need to invest in America's future such as China, France, and every other logical thinking country.

April 15, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  182. Bryan Saario

foreign military aid would be wiped off the face of the planet and reallocated to foreign educational aid to build schools and employ teachers in underserved areas of the world especially in those countries that we have decimated with our war machine.

April 15, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  183. Larry B

The education system would certainly receive the largest boost under my administration. It is clear that a majority of issues facing the nation are at least partially rooted in poor education.

April 15, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  184. Chris - Denver

Education, Infrastructure, and a social safety net. Duh.

April 15, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  185. jim

Federal taxes should only go to national defense. Period. Bridges and roads should be built with bonds, with tolls (pay as you go) collected to pay them off. Dams and other utilities can be paid off by electricity users.

All other services should be borne by the states as appropriate, with taxes and fees paying for them. No federal funding should be provided for public schools or health care.

Medicare and social security should be as originally designed: paid for as insurance. But the age to start collecting should be raised to 75 for men, 80 for women. This will ensure there is adequate funding for the truly elderly, now that our life expectancy has risen. Otherwise, get in shape and get to work!

April 15, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  186. Richard Marks

ALL my money right back to me. Not a dime for the largest bloated welfare organization on earth: the military. NO money for defense, Fatherland Security, naked airport scanners, etc, etc, etc. Let them use them dope money they're getting from Afghanistan to play fascist!

April 15, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  187. Ben

Tax dollars should go to further education, roads, and to help the people who truly cant help themselves. Too much goes to wars, people who simply dont want to help themselves, corporate bailorts and to other countries in aid. Also we need to pay down the debt.
    Ben, Storrs CT

April 15, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  188. Edna from Florida

No more wars, making fat cats, like Cheney, rich. Instead, tax dollars should go to a setting up an independent monioring system of Congressional spending. When individual representatives and senators spend too much, they are ousted! No more deficit!!

April 15, 2010 at 6:34 pm |
  189. Mike

Jack;
    I say spend it on our defense, schools, hospitals, roads/bridges, any- where people are WILLING to work for this country. Use it to put people to work cleaning, building, and any other number of jobs. This way people have money to feed their families, put back into the economy, and help be of service. Stop paying people to do nothing.

April 15, 2010 at 6:34 pm |
  190. Belinda Ciccotto

Less tax dollars should be spent on paying former politicians indefinitely. There should also be a limit to how much they can raise their salaries.

It ought to be more important to invest in creating jobs, rather than dishing out stimulus checks for this or the other.

April 15, 2010 at 6:34 pm |
  191. richard

health care and deficit reduction (to help young people)

April 15, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  192. Sue from Redwood City

I would like to see more money put into green energy solutions, planned parenthood education and sending these illegal aliens back home. We need to stop encouraging people to overpopulate. I would like to see tax credits stop with 2 children. If they have more children than that, then tough luck, they should have used birth control or abstained! Don't make the rest of us suffer for it.

April 15, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
  193. Edna from Orlando

Tax dollars should go to setting up an independent monitoring system of Congressional spending. When individual representatives and senators spend too much, they are ousted!

No more deficit!!!

April 15, 2010 at 6:38 pm |
  194. Moses

I want to see my Tax dollars spent on Taxing anyone making over 1,000,000 a year. Levy it harder on the rich, and build our country's infrastructure. People need to wake up and realize the rich people in this country do NOT pay their fair share. Tax those bonus' the banks give out even harder

April 15, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  195. Paul

I would like to see tax dollars go towards individual sustainability. The sustainable movement is moving towards government or private sector takeover… metering everything and removing our freedoms through dependency.

Water can be created out of thin air, energy generators can be scaled down, and food can be grown indoors. If these technologies sectors were pursued with the same funding and intelligence as there is for war they would become cheaper, more efficient and could be shared with the rest of the world eliminating hunger, poverty and even war.

I am pretty sure governments already know this, and points us in a million different directions and gives us a million different solutions which don’t solve anything, to avoid a real solution to real problem in a time of where we all could have prosperity.

April 15, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  196. Linda

It needs to go back to our schools. Our local school in Delphos, OH is asking for a levy to pass in May otherwise we are going to get more cuts. The school is not going to replace a French teacher who is retiring next year. We will only have spanish. This will hurt a lot of kids who would have been able to graduate with Honors. Although on the other hand the school district will not make the athletes pay to play so I think the levy will not pass because the majority of kids are not in sports. I know I do not want to pay coaching staff. I would rather pay teachers!

April 15, 2010 at 6:41 pm |
  197. eve

It is fair to say that our tax dollars should go for what they were meant to: go back to the taxpayer in the form of healthcare for every american, better education for children (not higher payrolls for the administration) upgrading our infrastructure thus creating jobs. In other words keeping the middle class going.... When it disappears this country is finished...

April 15, 2010 at 6:42 pm |
  198. Thomas Posedly

We should abolish Income Tax because about one-half of all americans pay income taxes. We should have Sales Tax. This way everybody pitches in.

April 15, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
  199. North korea

Jack what about that. We stop giving tax break to the wealty, people like Bill Gates and Warren buffet.

Use this money to invade North Korea. I guarantee you, all republican will be behind Obama. Once they hear war. The next war the us will fight will determine, the US future.

April 15, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
  200. Ann Marie Scorsone

Tax dollars should be primarily used for education, health, food safety regulation and research. Then environmentally friendly development and sustainability efforts. Innovation is what has always made America an example to the world. This idea that people who earn billions get special tax credits is unfair. The tax man pounds down middle class americans while makes deals with celebrities and criminal bankers is downright wrong and unethical.

April 15, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
  201. Adam Simi Valley, CA

Where it was always supposed to go. Limited Government. The Federal government has eroded the powers of the states in its efforts to become a utipian nanny state. They need to relinquish powers back to the states. If Mass. wants universal Romneycare great, that's their issue. If California wants to take care of the unemployed until/if they want to look for a job, great. If Michigan thinks people should all retire at 55 and recieve 90% of their salary until they die, super. Let people vote with their feet and decide what they think government should be. There is no need, nor was the Federal government intended to do even half the things they screw-up now. The federal government needs to be dramatically be slashed. Politics will dictate that we kick that can down the road until we achieve fiscal armageddon, but until then we will keep applying bandaids in our never ending quest for social justice and a utopian society.

April 15, 2010 at 6:44 pm |
  202. Jacqueline Mongeot

Certainly not to continue and support wars, but: Universal care, education, industries geraed to GREEN tech and jobs creation YES!

Jacqueline, San Diego, CA

April 15, 2010 at 6:44 pm |
  203. Juan Varona

Education. Education. Education. Through education we develop a brighter future for all.

April 15, 2010 at 6:44 pm |
  204. Martin in San Antonio, TX

Refer to Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution. If it's not in there we shouldn't spend any money on it.

April 15, 2010 at 6:45 pm |
  205. Warren W Wagner

I would like to see more tax dollars go to the senior citizens. Many of these people have been exploited to the point they can't take care of themselves. Minimum wage needs to be at least fifty dollars per hour. If people are expected to pay for insurance, retirement and their childrens college and the rich are going to continue to exploit the poor. It is only right for them to support them when they get old. Our lawmakers need to defend those who can't defend themselves. People are not suppose to plan their lives making minimum wage.

April 15, 2010 at 6:45 pm |
  206. Doug

Jack, taxes are a necessary evil in order to have a free society. If the Tea Party doesn't like it, they can take their money and move to Somalia. You have total freedom over there. Kind of like the wild west. I think we need to spend more money on education. There are some really dumb people out there.

April 15, 2010 at 6:46 pm |
  207. Adam Santini

DHS/Defense (reasonable spending), Education, Healthcare, Infrastructure, NASA

Please don't spend my hard-earned money on policing the world. Although we're still a strong power in the world, we're struggling economically. We should not be spending money we don't have...just like the American Public. Do not spend money you don't have!

April 15, 2010 at 6:47 pm |
  208. Susie

Defense and Social Security and fix the budget. Stop spending and reduce goverment hiring and spending. Reduce Congress and all elected officials to what the private sector makes. Abolish the Department of Education and school Unions, Abolish the IRS and create a flat tax.

April 15, 2010 at 6:47 pm |
  209. Marc

If we ever needed a flat tax, this is the time! If half don't pay taxes at all...and 10% of the population pay 90% of all taxes...there are real problems.

Flat tax...no loopholes...control government spending...return to self-reliance.

Simple...

April 15, 2010 at 6:48 pm |
  210. Camella

On EDUCATION !!! A WELL- educated America is the answer to everything. People need to be able to read, learn, research and UNDERSTAND history, economics & the wording of our constitution to be able to facilitate worthwhile change. The greatest danger to our future is the uneducated.

April 15, 2010 at 6:49 pm |