March 15th, 2010

As concerned about our privacy as we used to be?

ALT TEXT

(PHOTO CREDIT: LOIC VENANCE/AFP/Getty Images)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Why no one cares about privacy anymore... That's the title of a piece on CNet.com. It describes how - as technology and especially social networking sites keep growing - people seem more and more willing to part with confidentiality. In many cases, they give up some level of privacy in order to access these services for free.

Think about it: Millions of people go online every day to sites like YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Google... they share pictures, videos, personal information about their family, their jobs, their education... or even trivial things like their favorite movie or what they ate for lunch.

Plus - it's more common for these services to be able to track you. Twitter now allows users to include so-called geolocation data in their messages; and they're encouraging people to do so. Other services let you select who can monitor your GPS-derived location every moment of the day through your cell phone. Google Maps can show pictures of your front door.

As for medical privacy... some seem to care less who knows intimate details about their health - they go online to share stories about cancer or other diseases or to give details of their pregnancies.

Then there's the ability of companies like Amazon.com or Netflix to gather information on your shopping habits and suggest which movie or book you may want to buy next.

It should come as no surprise that young people - the so-called Generation X-hibitionist - are the most comfortable with all this. One 2008 survey shows only 41 percent of U.S. teens were concerned about privacy; 59 percent were happy to give personal information to marketers.

Here’s my question to you: Are we as concerned about our privacy as we used to be?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Liz in Los Angeles writes:
Seems to me that we're not nearly as concerned as we should be. The potential for bad things to happen only increases as people share themselves with the world. Call me a fuddy-duddy, but there's no way I'm going to "friend", "tweet" or do anything else that compromises the privacy I have fought hard to maintain.

Donald in California writes:

D. in Atlanta writes:
It's just like those who, if asked, would find it horribly invasive if the government wanted to know where they were at all times. But, ask those same people if they want free satellite systems (like ONSTAR) and they think they are getting a deal! They are just not smart enough to connect the GPS in the satellite system and the fact that anyone who has access to that system knows EXACTLY where their vehicle (and probably the owner) is at any given time!

Austin writes:
I work for a non profit soup kitchen and Facebook has been a vital tool to our donation progress. Just because you are stuck in a different era should not mean the rest of us can not utilize new technology to benefit the less fortunate.

David in Alexandria, Virginia writes:
I mean, why bother? Our cell phones know where we are, our ATM machines take pictures of us and everyone else walking by, our credit card companies track our every purchase, my computer tracks my clicks and can photograph me without my knowledge, our EZ pass notes our every traverse, and our credit verification companies know more than I do about my personal life. That's all before the government spooks get serious about invading my privacy – if they do.

Guy in Hawaii writes:
That's none of your business! However, computers, texting, dating websites, Facebook, Google searches, etc. have changed all of this. Forever. I'm concerned but then...I have nothing to hide. If someone, somewhere is watching what's going on in my private life or in my bedroom, I hope they're enjoying it as much as I am!

Filed under: Internet
  1. Rick McDaniel

Perhaps more so......because we know others are trying to pry.

March 15, 2010 at 1:51 pm |
  2. southerncousin

I believe as the government, particularly, the current administration takes over control of more of our live by telling us what to to in practically every instance, we are giving up more of of privacy. We have in place a budding "nanny state" which tries to control what we do with our lives. It starts with the NEA teaching our kids that they are not responsible (a liberal tenet) and goes on to what we eat, what we drive, where we live, who we talk to and every facet of our lives. It is liberalism, progressivism and socialism gone amok. Now the current administration is about to pass legislation, against our wishes that will control our use of the medical system while extending benefits who spend all day smoking dope, and watching Oprah tell them to vote for Obama.

March 15, 2010 at 1:53 pm |
  3. bob z. fr. pa.

before long the gov. will put camara's in our home and tax us every time you take a jump

March 15, 2010 at 2:06 pm |
  4. Peg from N.Y.

Absolutely! I don't see that changing too soon.

March 15, 2010 at 2:19 pm |
  5. Bob Louisville

We are not as concerned about our privacy as we used to be.

The use of credit cards and /or the internet is proof that people are no longer concerned about their privacy to the degree they once were.

March 15, 2010 at 2:31 pm |
  6. Eugene Northern Cal

I'm very concerned about my privacy but when I Google anyone's name, privacy goes out the window. As a retired peace officer I find this dangerous but since we're all helpless to do anything about it, I rely on my rights under the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution, to protect my privacy.

March 15, 2010 at 2:32 pm |
  7. Russ in PA

I'm worried about it, but apparently many aren't. Wait until Barney Frank and Lieberman appear in the face of your wrist watch...

March 15, 2010 at 2:40 pm |
  8. John from Alabama

Jack: Unfortunately, yes I am. Until, health insurance companies can not cancel health insurance due to a "pre-existing condition" I want my health condition kept private. I want better computer security to keep my pin numbers for different financial accounts private for sure. I realize the US Constitution does not specifically protect ones privacy, but the number one crime is Identity thief, so says the F.B.I.

March 15, 2010 at 2:40 pm |
  9. Jill

Yes, the Internet has decimated any semblance of privacy. Add biometrics and national ID cards, the prospects become frightening.

March 15, 2010 at 2:42 pm |
  10. Albert R. K. Los Anegles

Jack, the surrender of privacy began with track housing which put our neighbors within hearing distance and then came the condos. Next the metal detectors at airports, and now government wants to look under our clothes as well. There is no question what Thomas Jefferson would have done if government officers took a peak under his daughter’s dress. We surrendered our privacy to the terrorist and all we can do is hope that they never think of a suppository bomb because it is clear what will follow in our "defence"

March 15, 2010 at 2:45 pm |
  11. Joanne

People are concerned, however we have to balance our privacy with safety – although I don't know anyone who feels safe under Obama, and Holder (the lover of terrorists it appears).
    Joanne
    Mn

March 15, 2010 at 2:47 pm |
  12. Bizz Quarryville,Pennsylvania

I am always concerned about my privacy. But I am not worried about it as I was during President George W era. In near by Lancaster Pa there is a big stink about security cameras installed on streets. My feelings about that is unless you are about to commit a crime you should not have a problem with being observed on a public city street.

March 15, 2010 at 2:50 pm |
  13. JENNA

Are we as concerned about our privacy as we used to be?

Yes, WE are but the laws haven't been updated to protect us enough!

Jenna
    Roseville CA

March 15, 2010 at 2:51 pm |
  14. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

What's that?

March 15, 2010 at 2:56 pm |
  15. Wilhelm von Nord Bach

what is this "privacy" of which you speak, Jack?

March 15, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
  16. Jurgen R. Brul

Hello Jack Cafferty and CNN friends,

Yes, we are concerned about our privacy,
    but we have to create better international laws,
    so that it is clear in which situations our privacy is protected and
    in which criminal, fraud and corrupt situations our privacy is not protected!

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR),
    which is adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on 10 December 1948,
    article 12 states:
    No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honor and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

Advice
    Let us Now make our world
    a Better Healthier and Beautiful World
    for You and for Me!

Greetings,
    Jurgen R. Brul
    Hometown: Paramaribo
    Country: Suriname
    Latin-American

March 15, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
  17. Fred

No, Jack! When we were kids, there wasn't the need to be. Technology has changed all that, but people live in "the good old days", and don't know how important to teach their children about privacy now. That is why all the stories come out about My Space, Facebook, Craig's List, etc. that these people are making themselves vulnerable by sharing too much information. It's a different world, and I want the old one back!
    Fred
    Ocala, FL

March 15, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
  18. S, Michigan

I don't know- i'll tell you after i walk thru' a body scanner at the airport and some good looking woman's on the other end of the monitor watching me!

March 15, 2010 at 3:27 pm |
  19. MikeK

We're not as concerned about anything as we used to be!

March 15, 2010 at 3:27 pm |
  20. Jerry Jacksonville, Fl.

I am but I don't think the government is helping us maintain our privacy, when you have to give out personal information including your social security number to obtain certain services you privacy is all but gone.

March 15, 2010 at 3:27 pm |
  21. Joe R - Houston

It doesn't really matter any more how concerned we are because we've already abandoned the responsibility for protecting our privacy to the government. Collectively we deserve exactly what we've gotten.

March 15, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
  22. Jerry

Not me.
    How about you ?
    Seems the ones most concerned about privacy are the ones on the government payroll...........elected in particular.
    If it were not for "privacy" most of them would have a lot of explaining to do about a lot of things.

Jerry in GA

March 15, 2010 at 3:29 pm |
  23. Matthew Campbell

(Nova Scotia, Canada)

Hi Jack,
    I don't think we are as concerned about privacy as we used to be. But I think that is due to the way privacy has been slowly but surely removed from our society. There are cameras just about everywhere. Government is getting footholds in social networking media as a way to monitor the masses and few are actually aware of the legal avenues at their disposal for breeches of privacy, even in the "private" sector. I have found 13 separate legal precedents at my disposal should someone post an unauthorized photo of me on Facebook or MySpace. Maybe more people should be getting permission before they take those surreptitious mobile phone photos.
    All the best,
    Matt

March 15, 2010 at 3:30 pm |
  24. Loren, Chicago

Yes, but there is less that we can do about it. When everything was on paper, we never really thought about privacy because it took a lot of effort to obtain personal information. With everything on computer, while it may be more efficient for business to access and use, it's equally easy for thieves to access. Now we're thinking about it, but just as before, not a lot we can do.

March 15, 2010 at 3:31 pm |
  25. Frank

We should be. States SELL information they gather by law. All your driver's info? Sold. Think we can stop them? There are too many idiots out there that don't care.

Its getting worse and worse.

March 15, 2010 at 3:32 pm |
  26. Joe

Jack,

What privacy? Everyone is banging on my house door, including the lies and spin of media and the government. There is something to be said for moving to ... Guam, a private island, the middle of Montana, or better yet – Canada with public health care.

Joe , Binghamton, NY

March 15, 2010 at 3:34 pm |
  27. David in Alexandria, VA

I mean, why bother? Our cell [phones know where we are, our ATM machines take pictures of us and everyone else walking by, our credit card companies track our every move and purchase, my computer tracks my clicks and can photograph me without my knowledge, our EZ pass notes our every traverse on the highways and biways, and our credit verification companies know more than I do about my personal life. That's all before the government spooks decide to get serious about invading my privacy if they get a whim to do so.

Being worried about our privacy nowadays is like worrying about your modesty in one of those hospital gown - everyone can see your altogether, so get over it.

March 15, 2010 at 3:37 pm |
  28. Joe CE

WE seem more concerned although we ignored Bush policies that cut into it. There seems no balance between necessary security and privacy. Both sides are guided by extremists.

March 15, 2010 at 3:46 pm |
  29. Tom Mytoocents Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Jack
    The Patriot Act violates the 4th amedment to the US Constitution. Were living in Joe Stalins world of he knows best.

March 15, 2010 at 3:47 pm |
  30. honestjohn in Vermont

I am more concerned about my privacy than ever, but in an age of everflowing information it is difficult to maintain privacy.

March 15, 2010 at 3:48 pm |
  31. Mr. D

I doubt if we are. There are just too many "opportunities" out there to cough up personal information. We just go with the flow and continue to loose our privacy. It is like slowly losing your modesty, pretty soon we don't care who is looking.

March 15, 2010 at 3:49 pm |
  32. Leslie

I think we are,but if you consider the fact that a person need only to google or run a credit check on another person or the government placing the so called terrorist tag on someone you can find out anything about a person. With that being said, one would have to agree that we have had our civil rights to privacy diluted to the point that we do not have an expectation of privacy in most cases. We can thank the Bush administration and the republican congress for panicking after the 911 attacks for that and, now the Obama administration and democratic congress for not restoring our lost civil rights when we restored them to power. These are the types of things they were sent to Washington to do. This should have been first on the agenda when the democrats were came into power. Not bailing out banks or wall street and certainly not health care. It seems that this country is no longer for the people governed by the people. I hear the politicians talk about the founding fathers, the constitution and how much they love this country. The founding fathers would have burned this Washington to the ground with everyone of them in it. Yet I have not seen nor heard one of them come out and say to the people that our civil rights are what's most important to them. I think that we the people need to ask these types of questions of all our representatives local,state and federal. Right now we have the right to let them take away any rights. They will say that they are fighting for our rights everyday but, my question is. How? This is a question the media should be asking. But this free media is not free at all but, rather this is a for sale media. You want to know how to fix government ? It starts with the media asking real questions of the so called leaders and not giving them the right to know what the questions are going to be before hand. The reason the founding fathers wanted a free media was to hold all governments accountable for the decisions they make, the truth would be available to the people so they could make an informed decision when it came to the election of a representative. This media process that we have today does not inform. It only tells half truths along with half stories and not once in the last fifty years has the so called free press ever came out and said this is what your representatives did to you or for you today.If one part of the process is corrupt all of it is and we the people and the country suffer for it. This country has lost its direction, it is this very type of toxic atmosphere that led to the birth of this country and nearly destroyed another.

March 15, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
  33. A. Smith, Oregon

Jack, I still care that my phone calls, cell calls, text msgs, email, books I read in the public library, my public comments in the public library, my current GPS position given by the cell phone in my pocket are all routinely recorded, scanned and stored on numerous databases domestically and overseas for questionable if not entirely nefarious purposes.

Which of these American freedoms that were stripped by the Patriot Act going to be restored Jack? JUST how pleased would you be Jack Cafferty to find a conversation between you and your Son on a holiday was recorded without your consent nor awareness and stored on a database in Germany?

March 15, 2010 at 3:57 pm |
  34. Michael Alexandria, VA

Probably. If you do any genealogical research, you will be amazed at the stuff we used to write about in the local papers. We are no more or less exhibitionist than we were then.

March 15, 2010 at 4:06 pm |
  35. Lance, Ridgecrest, Ca

Jack, the paranoid people are, probably because they have something to hide. The ALCU is, which makes absolutely no sense to me!! They fight to make sure everyone has the right to freedom of information and then sue everyone who "violates" some obscure minority's/individual's supposed "right to privacy". Total insanity! Kind of like restrictions in wire tapping in a society where everyone has a cellphone and talks on the public sidewalk or in a public toilet. There is no cure for stupid.

March 15, 2010 at 4:10 pm |
  36. Albert R. K. Los Anegles

Jack, surrendering our privacy has become our first line of defense. In defense of drunk drivers we have sobriety check points. Job safety means drug testing and our defense against terrorist at airports is to peak under our clothes. All we can do is hope terrorist don’t create a suppository bomb because boarding a plane will require a rectal exam. At what point does defense become offense and we become our own worst enemy?

March 15, 2010 at 4:13 pm |
  37. Dave, Brooklyn, NY

“We” are not concerned about our privacy anymore, just look at all the morons who spill their guts on internet social networking sites. I, on the other hand, am becoming more and more alarmed as each passing day brings new legislation that removes another layer of privacy and/or limits our ability to defend ourselves against those data miners that steal our information. People would be shocked senseless if they had any idea of how much information is available about all of us. We are all being videotaped from the time we leave our homes until we return. Every purchase we make (even with cash), every place we go, every email we send, every phone call we make, in short, every communication we have, is a matter of record. And most of it, even our most private financials are a matter of record, much of which is available to the public – that means even your worst enemy! Compared to 2010, 1984 and Big Brother were pikers. You have no idea.

March 15, 2010 at 4:13 pm |
  38. Jack - Lancaster, Ohio

Jack:

I am not sure the public, domestic or imported, those granted amnesty or free healthcare, cares about much of anything regarding public policy. For example you get letters from the financial people about their "privacy policy" when in fact it is a misnomer. It is actually their "disclosure" policy (no signatures) but I never hear anyone complain. Spooky !

March 15, 2010 at 4:15 pm |
  39. JR MULE'

Absolutely not!
    We've finally succumbed to the relentless onslaught of cell phones, e-mails, internet come-ons and the like. And privacy, as we once knew it, or cared about it, is a thing of the past.
    For example, I was once "Giulianied" in Manhattan, when someone speeding in a car along-side mine, cloned my phone number and began using it relentlessly. [The then-NYC Mayor had been so scammed and as a reward, had the process of such rip-offs named after him].
    My next phone bill (huge) indicated that the number had apparently been written on the bathroom walls of the U.N General Assembly. Back then, no one was given one's cell number and caller I.D. was not an available option.
    Now, these numbers are routinely written on our business cards and included in our newspaper ads. Every caller's phone number is included on my phone's screen. Gotcha!
    I hope it's safe to have caller I.D. of our cell phones and that cloning is no longer a possibility. However, in my heart of hearts and by the television crime shows I watch, I know that we can still be Giulianied. I guess we just don't care.
    Also, instead of being close-to-the-vest about our personal matters, we announce our inner-most secrets on the bumper-stickers, buttons, tee-shirts and tattoos we boldly place on our cars and clothes and on our bodies.
    On-line chat rooms, Facebook and Twitter have more to do with information gathering than planting virtual trees, yet we don't seem to give a hoot.
    Under the heading of Who We Are, we announce for all to see, What we think, like and dislike, or care about, regardless the cost to our privacy.
    Concern for privacy has flown the way of the Dodo bird.

JR MULE'
    Greenville, SC

March 15, 2010 at 4:19 pm |
  40. Samantha (not really) in Tuscon (not really)

What privacy did we have left after the Bush administration chose to eavesdrop... I mean "freedom listen" into our phone and internet conversations.

March 15, 2010 at 4:20 pm |
  41. Diane

Jack:

I don't know how concerned others are for their privacy but I know I am.

Medical fraud is on the rise and is a billion dollar operation and it is another issue affecting the healthcare system.

The American public should check their credit reports on Experian, Equifax, Trans Union and not freecreditreport.com.

Shred every document with personal confidential information. And set up a filing system and maintain records and be proactive.

Protect your medical prescriptions your doctor give you because it is also another part of the issue if stolen or lost can be a part of the billion dollar medical fraud.

If someone texts you and ask for information never release any confidential information over the telephone.

Make a habit to be viligant just like brushing your teeth.

Diane
    Julian, Ca

March 15, 2010 at 4:20 pm |
  42. Adam Simi Valley, CA

We most certainly are not. We have lost site of what the founders envisioned. We were supposed to have a limited, unintrusive government. Now we have unaccountable czars and bureaucrats in every decision we make. We have people in the federal government trying to tell us what to feed our kids at school. We have the DHS and State Dept, making everyone, indisciminately, do full body scans at airports yet they can't stop a terrorist flying under his own name when his father turns him in. We are giving away our freedom and privacy for the illusion of safety and we will never get it back.

March 15, 2010 at 4:20 pm |
  43. Dennis North Carolina

we are blowing our privacy out of sight which is costing us money and our safety.

March 15, 2010 at 4:23 pm |
  44. Rich McKinney, Texas

Our personal privacy is slowly slipping into the governmental abyss Jack. We must provide either state or federal issued identification to legally drive, fly, vote, or work. We are photographed or video taped at most major intersections, airports, shopping centers, convenience stores, banks and municipal buildings. We are photographed from space on Google earth and even at street level people can look at our houses yards and vehicles. I can go on line and see what you donated to in election contributions and who you gave it to. For a small fee I can look up anything about you from vehicle registrations to drivers license information. Any public record you ever had in court is also fair game to include divorce, tax payments, what your home or any property you own is valued at, criminal or civil trials you may have been involved in and sex offender registration most free of charge and in seconds. No Jack our privacy has left the building..

March 15, 2010 at 4:42 pm |
  45. chris

what privacy the govt wants not to have privacy is the way they are headed they want to know everything and know about you that is waht they are pushing especially with this health insurance bill and the possible of making black boxes on cars and trucks that not just to know if you been in a accident but to know you went 70 ina 50 but no cop caught you but they know how fast you were going the privacy is slipping away here in american

March 15, 2010 at 4:44 pm |
  46. Bob in NC

Privacy – along with so many elements of the more simple life of just 10 or 20 years ago have been transformed into a networking matrix of impersonal opinion and expose. This modern society has new etiquette and protocol. Jaded by a world spinning at double speed and with a transparency that our parents would have never imagined, we have access though our smart phones and laptops to boundless arteries of information, financial dealings, and political nuances that hardly give an opportunity for a response before we move on to the next item on the queue. Privacy has left the building, Jack.

March 15, 2010 at 4:49 pm |
  47. Diane Dagenais Turbide

People care about their identity being misused or stolen.

March 15, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
  48. Lori - PA

Jack,

It doesn't appear that we are.

March 15, 2010 at 4:52 pm |
  49. Remo, from beautiful downtown Pflugerville, Texas

Jack, people should be but apparently they're not.
    When you consider ecvery transaction. email, cell phone or any other electronic device can be singled out and a complete profile of you can be done by just knowing either your SSN or drivers license number people should be alarmed. Any company can pay a data firm to parse data down to extreme detail. Who kows who ends up with the information. Who knows if the information is safeguarded, who knows if the information is sold to the highest bidder. In a time when a person should be extrmemely concerned about personal information it's amazing the opposite is occuring. Perhaps it's a method to shut down the computers tracing you. If you have so much jibberish being generated, perhaps the data will confuse and freeze the mainframe examaining your life.

March 15, 2010 at 4:52 pm |
  50. Terry, Chandler AZ

Most people are concerened about the government knowing about us and don't think about providing information as mentioned in the topic. When I rent from Netflix orr Blockbuster I often rent movies with no intention of watching, just so they don't know my viewing habits. And the supermarket shopper cards, I never fill out the data cards with my real name, address, phone number, or e-mail address. And perhaps Jack, I may not really be Terry from Chandler, AZ.

March 15, 2010 at 4:57 pm |
  51. Mark, Oklahoma City

Privacy is going the way of the Dodo Bird.

March 15, 2010 at 5:04 pm |
  52. Kim Smith, Dodge City, Kansas

Most people operate under the delusion that they ever had any privacy to begin with. The government has kept an eye on our personal lives for at least the last two generations, or if you like, since the inception of the social security number.

March 15, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
  53. Scott Stodden

It just depends what kind of privacy your talking about Jack! If it just has to do with Twitter, Facebook, Myspace etc... what's the harm! Just because people share photos, what there doing, what there going through does not mean people are going to share there Social Security Numbers, Credit Card Numbers or anything like that online!

Scott Stodden (Freeport, Illinois)

March 15, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  54. William Courtland

Privacy is a commodity created by civility and is now purchased with currency. Privacy is not a right: it is a privlage: to sleep in a Hostel: you lose privacy... To afford a busstation locker: a dollar per key turn...

To have privacy: you must purchase it: an offshore account is not cheap...

In the realm of the digital domain: it is what is on your harddrive: the secret of your banking information, and other data which is truly vunerable and viable.

To re-invent the USPS would allow security to the Net: and thus allow a new age of afforded privacy.

March 15, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  55. Beth Calaveras County CA

We haven't had privacy since the telephone was invented and party lines allowed someone listening in to pass on what many would have assumed was a 'private' conversation. And for close to twenty years being on the Internet I am always amazed that some people looking in seem to think that what they say online is somehow restricted to a few people reading what they have shared.

March 15, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  56. Ralph Spyer

The food store knows what I buy, from the wine that I drink to the toilet paper I use. Their a camera at ever major intersection in Chicago. If you golf or own a boat rest assure they know and your mail box will have a catalog in it. The government has my social security number that tell them were I worked , for how long, and for how much. Americans do not have privacy.

March 15, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  57. The Broker.

"You can't have both access to the world and still live in your own little box. You have to be more adventurous, if you want to tread on allowed ground."

March 15, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  58. Kyle, Irvine, CA

Jack,
    A lot of people do care and a lot of people don't care. The thing is, we still control what we put on our Facebook pages/Twitter. If your worried about your privacy, then don't post anything personal on the internet.

March 15, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  59. Theresa in Bozeman

Every generation does something in its youth they come to regret when they finally grow up: the early baby boomers with their hippie counter-culture, the yuppies with their all-consuming materialistic/hedonistic desires and now the up-and-coming generation with their self-exposés on the internet. What they don't realize is their embarrassments will be out there for all to see and for all time.

March 15, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  60. Kevin Hurley

Benjamin Franklin said, "He who is willing to trade liberty for security deserves neither." Imagine a politician saying that today.

March 15, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  61. John from San Antonio

No! Unfortunately many Americans still insist on keeping their eye's wide shut.

March 15, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  62. Alex in Gig Harbor

I am still concerned about my privacy and don't do any social networking on my computer besides e-mail. Of course, like you Jack, I'm old

March 15, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  63. Paul Pettipas, Canada

We're still concerned about it, but until there are clear and direct repercussions to our actions, we'll continue to perceive these websites as some perverted kind of fame or social click. We detail our lives out to an audience we think are interested while remaining seemingly safe behind our monitors, but unknowingly our personal information is being exchanged between individuals and businesses. Once something malicious happens to us, I think we become more vigilant again. I think sheer volume of information out there makes us feel safer than we actually are.

March 15, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  64. Paulette in Dallas,PA

Not at all. The day will come back that divulging all of this private information will come back to haunt these attention seekers.

March 15, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  65. Greg, Ontario

It depends on the information they want Jack. Identity theft is one of the fastest growing crimes in the free world and to do that people must be very flippant with thier information. So that alone should tell you we are not as concerned about it but I have to wonder how a person who has had thier identity stolen would answer that question.

March 15, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  66. Banned in Hartwell GA

You hit it on the head, Jack. Privacy has become a commodity to be traded. I guess if you're getting something for the information it can't come back to bite you...or something like that.
    Allen
    Hartwell GA

March 15, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  67. Greg H - Minneapolis

Jack, we have all the privacy we want. Nobody is REQUIRED to go online on any social networking site, nobody is REQUIRED to go online to any blog, such as this one. Those who do are fully responsible for any lack of privacy they now have. As for medical records online, existing laws should cover any unauthorized disclosure, and if they don't, then and ONLY THEN do we have to have more laws to cover the problem!!

March 15, 2010 at 5:57 pm |
  68. Barbara in NC

Bush never went after us little fishies – he wanted what he wanted so he could spy on his opposition in the democratic party.

Unless you're a politician, Jack, or Tweet and Facebook all the time, your privacy is still yours. Quit being so paranoid. The faux news boys have obviously gotten into your head.

March 15, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  69. Ed's Kate

No, but we certainly should be. With all the identity theft that is going on we better start paying more attention to our privacy or we will all be up the creek without a paddle.

March 15, 2010 at 6:13 pm |
  70. Layne Alleman

Jack, With some of the crap I've bumped into cruising the internet, I'd have to say obviously not. What I'd like to see is a study done on identity theft victims and their time and information exposed on the internet. I'm not saying there is a correlation between the two, but with so much banking, medical,and everyday business done on computers these days, and the spiraling amount of identity thefts being reported, it just seems like it might be a good idea to check out the two. As far as fools doing stupid things on the net, well hey, you want to act nuts, don't cry if it all goes horribly wrong, Layne A. Antioch, Il.

March 15, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  71. george coleman

i'm not a bit concerned about my privacy at this point. Whatever it takes to protect me and my family from harm is acceptable unless or until the government steps out of bounds with the information gained. Our government's initial responsibility is to protect ciitizens from foreign invasion. Even though they've gone way past what they were created for by our forefathers, this one is okay with me. george from Crofton Kentucky

March 15, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  72. Tom in Tx.

Well, I have been reading Letters To the Editor in my local newspaper today regarding the 2010 Census mailing's intrusive questions.I can tell you that the Libertarian Party sure is concerned -and maybe they are right to be.Wonder if these folks ever use the Internet? Oh wait, that is where I read their letters.

March 15, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  73. Gigi Oregon

Nearly everyone under 65 live as if there is no tomorrow. You had better be concerned. We went through a robbery last year and we are still working on getting back our personal identity and try getting a copy of your credit report without paying for it. HA! but rent a house, buy car, open an account, and change banks they can get one on you in a instance. You should be very afraid...It seems everyone has your number but you. Oh they will sell it to you...but if your the victim, good luck.

March 15, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  74. Sue, Gary, ID.

I sure am, I never use my real name or info on anything and I told my nieces not to put their info and these site either, because once it is our there you can never get it back, with enough information about you out on the net, we could have a situation like what happened in the movie The Net!

March 15, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  75. Mari, Utah

No, Jack, because I am not online 24/7 posting my business. We seldom give our email address away. We do pay bills online, and my husband the, techie, has great security on our MAC. It helps to have a husband in the tech business.

March 15, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  76. ben stockton, calif

in on lline only for the purpose of doing research, emailing, or receiving mail, check on my bank account and reading blogs from different sites. the more you expose your personal life the more possibility of people knowing your business.i use my cell phone only for emergencies. and you guessed it , i come from a different generation that doesnt need all the gizmos out there. when i go watch my granddaughter play sports, all the teens have to obligatory cell phone and they usually dont watch the game.yeah, im an old senior.

March 15, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  77. Michael from Ft. Hood, Texas

Jack every since NIxon and his disciple DIck Cheney stuck their grubby noses into everyone's business under the lie that anything is legal in the interest of national security we have been slowing boiling the frog of freedom to death without him even having the sense to jump out of the kettle.

March 15, 2010 at 6:40 pm |
  78. Homeless D in Atlanta

Maybe the reason is that many people are not understanding about the link between lack of privacy and the internet.

But, ask those same people if they want freesatellite systems (like ONSTAR), and they think they are getting a deal!

March 15, 2010 at 6:53 pm |
  79. Bruce - Delaware

No, but we should be. Corporations sell everything to the government, so don't think the privacy laws are worth anything.

March 15, 2010 at 6:54 pm |
  80. Guy from Hawaii

That's none of your business!!! However, Computers, texting, dating websites, Face book, Google searches, etc. has changed all of this...forever. I'm concerned but then...I have nothing to hide. If someone, somewhere is watching what's going on in my private life or in my bedroom I hope they're enjoying it as much as I am! If the same things possibly monitoring my privacy foil a terroist plot or bust a drug ring run by people living down the street from me or prevent another school shooting...then I'll take that as a fair trade off.

March 15, 2010 at 6:56 pm |
  81. alvin lerner

Jack We have a friend who has a cleaning girl three times weekly. The girl is fabulous, also here illegally. She's managed to have three children. After they are born she sends them back to Mexico to Mama. When the children become of school age they come back to the US so we can pay for them. I could throw up!

March 15, 2010 at 7:00 pm |
  82. Chesteer Bickerstaff

If we would make the multi-milionaires and all the billioaires pay into social security it would solve many problems other than social security. The very rich are few and the very poor are very many. If we could only take a vote from the people on a bill like that, i am sure it would pass.

March 15, 2010 at 7:06 pm |
  83. Liz, Los Angeles, CA

March 15, 2010 at 7:07 pm |
  84. Nicki Jones

The media is not talking about the offshoring of American jobs. We all know what the problem is out here in America. We just need the knucklehead politicians to start protecting our economy. This term protectionism is just a term to defend the mindless practice of offshoring American jobs. My job is being shipped to India within the next few months. I get to train the person taking my job. I am so angry at the President for continuing to allow this destructive practice. I am going to lose my home because I bought my town home when I had a good paying job. Now I will be lucky to find a McDonalds job at my age. We need a revolution to stop the OFFSHORING OF AMERICAN jobs

March 15, 2010 at 7:07 pm |
  85. frank tracy

Jack,

Woke up this morning in foggy Hong Kong to learn that The Situation Room is no longer being shown in Asia. That's a shame because you guys have the best show on CNN. I will miss having my morning coffee while enjoying the Cafferty File.

March 15, 2010 at 7:09 pm |
  86. Dave

Will a real REPUBLICAN please stand up? I always thought that less government was one of the principles of the GOP. This is a lie. The development of seatbelt laws illustrates this point. It went from muffled talk, to a law being a secondary offense. Then it moved to a primary offense to give officers another "tool" to pull people over on a whim. Now we have CHECKPOINTS for seatbelts. It seems as those in charge are constantly seeking to whittle away our rights. Less government is just another GOP LIE!

March 15, 2010 at 7:11 pm |
  87. Karen - Nashville TN

Jack, there are so darned many people that a lot of us have become more concerned with obscurity than privacy. Why else would our TV's be infested with all these dweeb-filled "reality" shows, which some people actually seem to watch?

March 15, 2010 at 7:11 pm |
  88. Dave

Just wait 'til they get your medical records computerized. Privacy? Yeah right...

March 15, 2010 at 7:12 pm |
  89. Ken in NC

Jack, I’m 62 with varicose veins, a pot belly and white hair. Having someone wanting to invade my privacy would be a welcomed pleasure. Hackers into my checking account saw that I was so poor, they made a deposit on my behalf.

March 15, 2010 at 7:15 pm |
  90. Annie, Atlanta

I wonder if we ever were that concerned about privacy. Have you ever sat in a Dr.'s office or stood in the line at the grocery store and had someone give you a run down of all their problems? We're social animals. That's neither good nor bad. It just is.

March 15, 2010 at 7:15 pm |
  91. Nancy, Tennessee

Being from the Baby Boomer generation, being private was a part of my upbringing. In defense of the Generation X-hibitionists, they probably feel like everything they do is watched anyway so what's the harm in telling a friend about some health crises or life challenge. At least they might find someone to empathize with them. The government doesn't care about your life – you just become part of their archives everytime you make a phone call or just walk or drive down a street.

March 15, 2010 at 7:15 pm |
  92. kwesi kendall

Jack notting is private anymore, on the list of important things, where does privacy falls?

March 15, 2010 at 7:16 pm |
  93. Peter, IL

MOVE aside cafferty and make room for the new generation.

March 15, 2010 at 7:17 pm |
  94. Donnie from Simi Valley, CA

What we reveal to the world via facebook, Twitter, or other social networks becomes public. What the public worries about is information that is not voluntarily shared.

March 15, 2010 at 7:17 pm |
  95. Donald in CA

Privacy is a thing of the past. A person with no education can get your information and buy a house with it. If you see dick cheney drive by your house you better be concerned.

March 15, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  96. James From Florida

We are decidedly not as concerned about privacy anymore Jack, we haven't been concerned about it for awhile. Millions of people in this country voluntarily divulge virtually every aspect of their personal life via email, social networking site and/or pornographic websites. It is the most absurd kind of privacy invasion Jack: self afflicted.

March 15, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  97. Michael Keller

NO. What difference does it make? So you know my favorite movie or where I live. Big deal.

March 15, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  98. tuttle

privacy? what privacy? we are nearing the completion of a police state.

March 15, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  99. Steve E in Chatsworth, CA

Of course I am concerned about my privacy any even more so than ever before. I now wear a tin foil hat.

March 15, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  100. Austin

I work for a non profit soup kitchen and facebook has been a vital tool to our donation progress. Just because you are stuck in a different era should not mean the rest of us can not utilize new technology to benifit the less fortunate. Grow up and get with it!

March 15, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  101. Karl

Jack, I am not giving up my privacy on Face Book, anymore than I want to. I set the settings allowing who I want to see what I want. For you Stuck-in-the-mud Paranoids, don't go on these sites. But don't criticize those of us that do!

March 15, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  102. Zach - Fort Polk

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both", and sadly no one seems to care...

March 15, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  103. Steve E in Chatsworth, CA

Of course I am concerned about my privacy; and even more so than ever before. It's comical that some are so careless. I now wear a tin foil hat.

March 15, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  104. Stan in Lemont, IL

Privacy has been compromised for decades. Printed every day in newspapers around the country are death notices and obituaries.

March 15, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  105. george german

I am 44 years old and havent cared or dwelled on or about my privacy for some time reg my social networking.

I knew well enough ten years ago that it was the future of doing things in terms of meeting people and keeping in touch. I play music on line and blogg on the web via youtube and accept it very much as the new norm.
    george
    chester,ct.

March 15, 2010 at 7:22 pm |
  106. Banned in Hartwell GA

ref the comment about census: The 2010 census will actually be one of the shortest and simplest in U.S. history. It will ask just 10 basic questions including: Name; sex; age and date of birth; Hispanic origin; race; household relationships; if you own or rent your home.

March 15, 2010 at 7:22 pm |
  107. Paul From Chicago

I've over 25 years experience in technology, and embrace most of it with enthusiasm. The REAL issue here is the astounding explosion of narcissistic behavior from young people. I don't have a Twitter / Facebook account...what compels ANYONE to believe that ANYONE cares about their location / activities on a real-time basis? Stunning.

March 15, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  108. Kris

Well, people that ARE concerned do not usually use this form of ,,what is this??? Media? Anyhow, people OUR age are concerned BUT, I have two kids, 18 and 23, college students, they don't care about privacy, it's FACEBOOK whatever,,,but it's their world now isn't it? I think WE need to conform or be left out. They are smart and WAY MORE INFORMED than we were at their age, I think.

March 15, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  109. Steve Scrivani

I remember when there was something around called TELEPHONE BOOTHS! You would go in them and close the door so you would have privacy with your personal calls. Ever see a telephone booth around anymore??? Now people walk through stores blabing all their personal business so everyone can hear. AND THEY DON'T CARE! Talk about the dumbing down of America.

Steve, Naples, FL

March 15, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  110. segun

Jack,
    We all want attention because it makes us feel interesting and likable. This is why most people don't mind displaying private and sensitive information including photos on sites like Facebook. Also, we have given up trying to safeguard our private information because we know the government is tracking everything we do anyway. Thirdly, research has shown that people get a false sense of security because they access social networks from the comfort of their home.

March 15, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  111. Carl from Florida

We should be, no doubt about it. I'm 23, and have avoided being swept up in the seeming constant pressure to be on sites like Twitter and display my every move and thought. It amazes me that there are people who worry about red-light cameras invading their privacy, but post all the details of their life on the internet for everyone to see. I doubt it will change anytime soon, so I'll just forever be thoguht of as being a bit weird.

March 15, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  112. Ronda (from Canastota, NY)

I'm no more concerned about privacy now than I was before there was an internet (Yes Jack, I'm THAT old). Whether you release your personal information to others electronically or via snail mail, there's still a chance that some unscrupulous person will misuse it. Either way, we need be careful what information we let go of and to whom. As for anything being private? Well, I never believed anything was private even back in the "dinosaur days." Not as long as the government can get their hands into it.

March 15, 2010 at 7:25 pm |
  113. lynne j. in nc

Nope. I think people are generally just an open book nowadays which is the reason people get in situations that cost them their jobs and heaven forbid their lives because of some psycho in some cases.

I think people need to be more cautious in displaying intimate details. There are nuts out there.

March 15, 2010 at 7:25 pm |
  114. Ken Snyder

Jack,

We evolve Jack. Privacy concerns are different, not specifically bad. Bad is subjective and relative. Long live change. This from someone that was uncomfortable knowing the Navy had my fingerprints when I joined in 1976. The one thing I hate about getting older is knowing all the neat things that I will miss. Change is necessarily natural.

March 15, 2010 at 7:26 pm |
  115. Grace Johnson

Privacy cannot be restored. Once it's gone, it's gone. This is something people don't seem to realize until they suffer negative consequences as the result of exposing person information. How many lose jobs? What are the cyber stalking statistics? In fifty years do you really want your grandchildren to see photos online of your drunken spring break trip to Cancun? Generation exposed will learn the hard way. Unfortunately everyone is impacted by this disregard for personal privacy.

March 15, 2010 at 7:26 pm |
  116. Bonnie

Older folks dont know how to protect their privacy with all this technology, and young ones dont realize that they should.

pleaserobme.com

If that doesnt scare them into caring, i dont know what will.

March 15, 2010 at 7:26 pm |
  117. Bobbi Hall

Jack it seems to me the only time the press is concerned about our loss of rights is when George Bush is in office. I have not seen any concern since he left office, it was reported on daily until obama came along, now you never hear about it, gee I wonder why?

March 15, 2010 at 7:26 pm |
  118. remmelkemp

It is ok to be concerned about privacy but the problem is this.

People who do not like the privacy or who do not mind revealing information about themselves find it very difficult to make things public. Most glaring example of this is health care information.
    As a patient, I will like all my information to be made public so that when it is needed most, in the middle of night in an emergency room, a doctor can see it where ever I am. This will prevent waste by preventing unnecessary tests and save my life by preventing errors. Unfortunately due to current laws, hospitals and clinic hide the information even if I want to make it public. Furthermore, If I want to see my own records, I will have to pay the hospital exorbitant amount of money.
    Alternative solution should be make privacy "opt in" rather than "opt out". All records of people should be made public unless they want it private. I do not mind if somebody sees my chest x-ray, so I should be allowed to make it public. I am pretty sure majority of public will not mind with the same. Only looser will be the hospitals who will not be hiding behind privacy laws and ask money to see your own records.

March 15, 2010 at 7:26 pm |
  119. Ryan Roy

Jack I am from Canada , and if I were American I would be more concered about a doctor taking a look atmy broken bone than some pedophile looking at my facebook page. Go Canadian health care go!!!!!

March 15, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  120. Michal

Their is a difference between privacy and giving out information. The difference is that privacy is the thought that one feels when there is no one watching you in your house. Giving out information willing to someone like, what you ate for dinner. Privacy has nothing to do with telling someone what you ate. Privacy has to do with the assertion that you can do what ever you want in your home and not feel your being watched or judged by your neighbors.

What this has to do with the internet is that you are giving out information of what you ate willingly. Even if your not aware of the terms and condition of the website you are on. The website may use that information as it wishes. But it is on the individual on what information you give to the website.

If you have an understanding of the internet you would use distraction.

March 15, 2010 at 7:29 pm |
  121. LDM

C'mon Jack.......everything on Facebook, Twitter and other sites like it have very sophisticated privacy settings. If you know what you're doing, only people you WANT to know your business will have access! I have been able to keep in touch with my extended family better than ever before because of Facebook. I see my cousins, their children my neices and nephews.......it keeps us connected....and that's a GOOD THING! Just because you don't do it, doesn't make the information we share with loved ones "garbage".

March 15, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  122. Linda Lee

What privacy? Today it's an illusion. Emphasis nowadays appears to be upon group, community values. The emphasis requires Trust, and Trust means "getting to know you." Most people appreciate openness more than they do secrecy.

March 15, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  123. Patrick

I don't believe there should be any fear about sharing what we enjoy. I believe that most people feel that there is a limit to what should be shared...social security numbers, bank account numbers and passwords to name a few. Baby Boomers who lived through the Cold War may be more protective of their privacy, and that may be understandable. Those in my generation, what you call "Generation Exhibitionist", never really lived through that era of paranoia. What may seem careless to some, is seen as honest and self-assured to others.

March 15, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
  124. Anonymous

Jack, you really need to look further into how you go about making your point. You go on and on about how people should be more concerned about their privacy and then you invite us to send our comments to your blog. Since you often share these comments with your viewers on the air, we are essentially helping you do your job and earn a living. However, in order to leave a comment, we are REQUIRED to give our name and our e-mail address. Your employer practices the same sort of data mining which you espouse to detest. You say in your piece that people need to be careful what they tweet and that you personally feel that it's a waste of time. However, without Twitter, Rick Sanchez would be out of a job. Tell me Jack, what do you have against Rick Sanchez?
    I'm just saying.
    -Anonymous

March 15, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
  125. Jim

jack, I'm more concerned about my privacy than ever before. It seems every day scammers and hackers try new ways to invade our privacy and the advent of new technology constantly provides a challenge for those who would catch these scumbags. When you add to that the government's invasion into our private lives because of the threat of terrorism, we have very little privacy left and it's gonna get worse.

March 15, 2010 at 7:33 pm |
  126. Jane

Jack-

No, I do not think that the younger generations are as concerned and that has made them more vulnerable to crimes such as ID Theft as well as some violent crimes. I think that they are naive of the dangers that lurk beyond the screen they're looking at. I do participate in social networking but I do not post my phone number, email address, state or city that I live in nor my annual income.
    These are the things that I do not believe people should post, not to mention your "physical" friends, the one's you get together with for social activities, should already know this information. There is no guarantee that the people you meet online are who they say they are.

March 15, 2010 at 7:34 pm |
  127. Zack from Oregon

No we are not as concerned as we should be. Everyone says big deal about strangers knowing everything until everything is gone. Big tears for the dummies, giant alligator tears!

March 15, 2010 at 7:35 pm |
  128. Gary Moore

Yes Jack but more significant than "concern" is the increased awareness that we seem to have of our privacy, The types of information that individuals consider to actually be private varies from individual to individual and has certainly changed as a whole, but in most cases, it's the individual who has the responsibility to define and protect what they consider to be private and for those who are not up to the challenge, I say, "be afraid – be very afraid!"

March 15, 2010 at 7:36 pm |
  129. deliberatus

Jack, when you're desperately scraping to SURVIVE due to being unemployed, you think you're going to give a rats-nose- about PRIVACY???

Go back to the page about unemployment. Let's talk about food riots. The National Guard enforcing civil order. The need for employment- or a large number of body bags.

Let's talk about the ugly face of the situation. And corpses have very ugly faces.

March 15, 2010 at 7:37 pm |
  130. Terry C. in Illinois

Jack,
    The Nixon and Ford days of Watergate, the Bush and Cheney days of Iraq WMD, and Republicans have brought about the loss of privacy. Our jobs we work for watch everything we do on internet, our pass-ports show where we go outside of America, our e-mail and library cards are being monitored, and our social security number tells the government everything about us. WHAT PRIVACY ?

March 15, 2010 at 7:40 pm |
  131. A.B.

Jack, I think that fewer people are as concerned about privacy as they used to be in the past. Social networking sites such as Facebook allow people to post almost anything of a personal nature regardless of its sensitivity and its consequences or implications for those concerned. Today, people brazenly go on national talk shows and disclose their personal business and very sensitive details concerning their business. There is no longer any discretion nor restraint in judging what to disclose and how much to disclose. on the part of younger people.

March 15, 2010 at 7:42 pm |
  132. steve- virginia beach

Depends who you're talking about. It seems that those of us who had a full-time parent and received the best education in the world are as concrened as ever. Meanwhile, our youth who didn't have those benefits tell us we're paranoid idiots while wearing t-shirts glorigying genocidal maniacs like Mao, Stalin, and Che; and electing destructive morons like Clinton, Bush, and Obama.

March 15, 2010 at 7:42 pm |
  133. RickFromDetroit

There is no doubt that we need to improve our security and develop positive identification for computers and we need to restrict the use of GPS monitoring.

I recently spoke with a bank representative and he was telling me about the times that I contacted the bank with a web cam and carried on a video conference with them and then forgot to turn off my web cam. I said it could not have been me since I do not own a web cam!

This has occurred before and it appears that someone is hacking my PC. Be careful, it can happen to anyone.

March 15, 2010 at 7:45 pm |
  134. Bev

You can thank Bush and Cheney fot the no privacy thing.
    They called it National Security, another one of their scare tactics.
    They are so sick, sort of like mcarthyism, that started rumors about people being communists back after the war. We need less people like those two.

March 15, 2010 at 7:46 pm |
  135. Kris in Michigan but from Chicago

March 15th, 2010 7:24 pm ET

March 15, 2010 at 7:48 pm |
  136. Stuart Lang

The younger generation is behaving logically. The really important details of your life are in a multitude of databases, public and private. Some of the information is inaccurate. You can't participate in modern society and maintain privacy. Once you recognize and make peace with all of this, you come to realize that the only way to gain any control over the information about yourself is if you yourself put it out there. If everyone in a generation puts the details of their lives out there, then the data loses value. For example, if an entire generation admits to smoking pot, then it stops being an employment issue. It also becomes useless in terms of blackmail. Since we can no longer keep the details of our lives secret, the next best thing is to produce the information the way we want it produced. It is also an opportunity to counteract the inaccurate information that others have put out there about us, often by accident, and sometimes deliberately.

March 15, 2010 at 7:52 pm |
  137. matthew nalett

As long as you are not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about. I know that privacy is not what it used to be before computers, internet and modern technology I remember when i was growing up as a kid that privacy back in 1995 compared to 2010 was much different in what people know about you since the technology was not advanced as it is today. I feel that our privacy has been violated to some degree since all of the public records available and also as well anything that you do has records available.

Just like the issue with the teachers spying on teens on school issued laptops that should be a good sign that no ones privacy is really safe anymore when it comes to being able to access computers remotely and using features without consent from the parents or making it aware for the students that the laptop can be accessed at anytime.

I feel the Internet and also Privacy Act should be revised and reviewed again and some changes should be made also as for companies and agencies on what they can release to the general public for public records or for news media outlets to release to the general public as well.

March 15, 2010 at 7:57 pm |
  138. Liliane Bastos

I am not just worried about our privacy… I am worried about our mental sanity. People do not interact with people anymore. As you said, Amazon send notes about what book we should read… and many other sites choose who will be my world, how, where, when, etc, etc… Everything is trough computers…
    A virtual world with some boring parts of the real world… Yes, BORING. Like Schools. Schools are boring. Students go to school like zombies. They can’t wait to be in their computers – dating, shopping, chatting, working, loving, hating,… When and where is the real life?
    I am a teacher. I love to teach, but schools aren’t right today. So computers are better place to be.

I think we are waiting too long for to do something about it… a generation of people machines.
    There is a chance that we can make things go back the way it was some years ago, before this computer’s invasion?
    Can anybody tell me? I miss to have real friends and date real men…

I don’t know even if they still exist or totally extinct. A friend is these days (not virtual), a real friend and a real love it is hard….
    So that isn’t just privacy anymore…
    When I Google my virtual date’s address, it would be the same if I was walking in the street and looking at his/her house. Now we do not walk in the streets. Now we surf on the net.
    The web is going trough our brain, to our dna and we are mutating.
    Wow… it is a long debate...
    Sorry my wrong words. I am not American…

March 15, 2010 at 7:58 pm |