March 3rd, 2010

When should gov't stop extending jobless benefits?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

The one-man Jim Bunning filibuster ended in the Senate - and they have now voted to pass a $10 billion dollar benefits measure.

A job seeker stands outside an employment office in Brooklyn, New York.
A job seeker stands outside an employment office in Brooklyn, New York.

The 78-to-19 vote means there will be a 30-day extension of unemployment benefits, highway funding and other federal programs.

President Obama praised the Senate's move, saying it will extend access to health care benefits for those who lost their jobs, help small business get loans so they can grow and hire more workers, and extend unemployment insurance benefits for millions looking for work.

If the Senate hadn't approved this measure, it's estimated more than one million people would have been affected this month and nearly five million by June. There's no question that with the national unemployment rate at 10 percent, millions and millions of Americans are depending on these government benefits to get by.

But some point out that never-ending extensions of unemployment benefits are a drain on the Treasury, an addition to the deficit, and a disincentive for recipients to actively look for work. Why search for a job when the government is still cutting you a check each week?

Generally, federal unemployment benefits kick in after the state-funded 26 weeks of coverage ends. During the economic downturn, Congress has approved 73 weeks of additional unemployment benefits.

Here’s my question to you: At what point should the government stop extending jobless benefits?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Joe in Dallas writes:
This question is one I have asked myself. Most of the people suffering now are not to blame for this awful mess and could not survive without government help. If Congress does not bring manufacturing jobs back to America and rebuild the disappearing middle class soon rather than resorting to this band-aid approach of endless unemployment benefits, we will find ourselves becoming a land of extremes-rich and poor. I believe that is known as a Third World country.

Rich in Texas writes:
Jack, If the government will keep paying me to sit at home, I will do it as long as I can. My house is paid for. My car runs. I can live quite well off of what they pay me not to work.

Harry writes:
I'm against the by-product of this extension, i.e deficit, but I can't find a job! I'm a registered architect and I apply for at least 10 to 20 jobs every week. That includes not only in the U.S. but all English-speaking countries. I've tried starting something on my own but banks refused my loans.

Jerry in Jacksonville, Florida writes:
We pay members of Congress one hell of a salary for doing nothing. What does it hurt to pay some poor person a little unemployment money so they can eat? I think we need to pay them until they find a job. I know some take advantage of the system, but so do the lousy jerks we elect to Congress.

Frank in Florida writes:
The answer to that is quite simple. Stop extending them when the mess that has been created by years of deregulation has been cleared up. I'm in Florida and I hate being unemployed! I didn't ask for the Chevrolet dealership I had been working at for 5 years to go under. I still can't find a job even though I'm highly qualified and it's been a year now.

Mark in Voorhees, New Jersey writes:
There should be a limit. More importantly there should be term limits.

Filed under: Government • Unemployment
  1. Stan in Boston

Jobless benefits are to help people while they look for new jobs. If people continue to be unable to find new jobs, then they continue to need help, and their benefits should continue for as long as is necessary. The usual suspects are suggesting that the unemployed are milking the system; but nobody is getting rich from unemployment benefits, and if you factor in the loss of self-esteem from being without a job, I believe it is not abuse of the system, but the bad job market that is responsible for the unusual length of time it is taking people to find jobs. Hopefully these members of Congress who have no empathy for the unemployed will learn something when they can't find jobs after they are not reelected.

March 3, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  2. Steve Batts Edna Kansas

We should stop extending jobless benefits, when we bring back all the jobs to US shore. We sit on our hands while big business, cut jobs took big bonuses and exploited the American worker. At is also time to put a few of these legislators on unpaid leave of absents.

March 3, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  3. Simone

When should government stop extending jobless benefits? When the unemployment numbers go down to what could be considered "normal" for our economy. What's is that 3% not 10% which is what it is in my state. These legislators want us to stand in soup lines and sleep in shelters! I got laid off last year and at 63 it seems to be impossible to find a job – even a part-time job. I'm really hurting and am totally frustrated. This life long Democrat is seriously considering re-registering as an independent, but never, never, never a Republican.

March 3, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  4. john from Arkansas

When we realize that we can't go any further into debt!

March 3, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  5. Charlie in NJ

After a year. After that the government should make people become involved in some sort of work program to at least partially offset the cost of this. People (not all but some) have this attitude that they are entitled to never ending benefits because they pay a unemployment tax. The amount of that tax for a year is eaten up in the first unemployment check. I feel bad for these people, but we as a country are broke.

March 3, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  6. Jane - WI

Paying someone unemployment for a year is plenty. We cannot afford to keep extending the timeframe. Some people find it easier to collect the check than to go out and look for actual employment. We also have millions of illegal immigrants in this country doing work that Americans can and should be doing. We could take a whole lot of citizens off the unemployment roles simply by removing illegal immigrants from jobs here in our country.

March 3, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  7. Ken in Pinon Hills California

Why stop now, hasn't trillions in taxes, and trillions borrowed, kept our economy going for decades? Whether it be a job working on a defense job the military doesn't want, or receiving unemployment benefits, both are consumers and isn't the market all this country is about?

March 3, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  8. Lance, Ridgecrest, Ca

Jack, if they want the country to go back to work, they should stop yesterday. At least half of the unemployed are just laying back collecting 99 weeks of unemployment, union supplements, and separation pay and have no intention of looking seriously for work until these "benefits" run out. Anything over 26 weeks isn't unemployment, it is welfare, and they need to stop subsidizing welfare for able bodied workers who are just soaking up "benefits", sitting on their lazy butts.

March 3, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  9. bob z. fr. pa.

after 2 yrs. they should have to do some civic work for there money

March 3, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  10. Gary Marion, IL

Having had to spend 3 months in the do-nut hole, i believe that the Goverment will slow benefits for all very soon.

March 3, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  11. Don, Belleville, Canada

The government should make it clear that this will be the last extension. The deficit has sprung up as the biggest single problem facing America. If the government does not cut deficit spending soon, you will have to come to terms with the fiscal concept of a QUADRILLION dollars, which is a thousand Trillion dollars. Please President Obama, don't force America to learn this new word.

March 3, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  12. Pat Day Hartwell

The government should stop extending benefits when unemployment falls below 5%.

March 3, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  13. Hank Williamsosn,Augusta, GA

Jack,
    How much does it cost the taxpayers for the government to hold a health care summit?

March 3, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  14. Greg in Cabot, AR

The government should only consider stopping extended jobless benefits just as soon as they:

1. Repeal ALL tax breaks for companies that have outsourced American jobs to foreign countries.

2. Review and revise international trade agreements that promote the export of American made goods.

3. Ensure that ALL new jobs created by any federal stimilus dollars actually generate meaningful long term employment .

If congress were to follow these steps, there should be no need for any more extensions of benefits.....EVER

March 3, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  15. Rick Medina,OH

Jack,

Some of us slip through the cracks. I never qualified for a single week of state or federal jobless benefits. But as self employed, I paid the taxes in full for both. My answer to your question, Jack, is right now.

Rick, Medina, OH

March 3, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  16. Paul

I am sure living on unemployment does not generate a high standard of living. Most people would surely rather be working full time, but by cutting the funding it'll result in people becoming alot less choosy in what they're looking for. 73 weeks is an awful lot of unemployment and it can't last forever, hopefully people will know ahead of time when the lifeline is ending.

March 3, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  17. JaneE

Stop extending the benefits 6 months after the number of jobs being created exceeds the number of jobs being lost. If you get 6 months to find a job under normal conditions, you should get the same 6 months after conditions return to normal. Right now that probably means almost 2 years of extra benefits, if you lost your job at the beginning of the recession. And I don't buy that unemployment benefits are a disincentive to work. If families could survive on 1/3 to 1/2 of their normal income, there would be a lot fewer two income households.

March 3, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  18. Russ in PA

How about ending it now? For good? Let's start removing the barriers to employment, including the minimum wage controls. Sounds good to me...

March 3, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  19. Peter M

It should stop when there is full employment.

March 3, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  20. Eugene Northern Cal

Unemployment benefits should be extended indefinitely, until the recession subsides and jobs become available. I thought it was a good idea to use some of the $500 Billion, in unspent Stimulus Funds, to fund unemployment. How silly of me Jack. I forgot Obama's saving that Stimulus money, to spread around prior to the November elections.

March 3, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  21. Homeless D in Atlanta

At about the same time they set up the death panels and deport all the illegals.

Please offer some idea what should be done with all the unemployed people, for whom there ARE NO JOBS?

Or maybe the government should stop unemployment benefits when the revolution starts!

March 3, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  22. D Robinson

Bush grabed a tiger by the tail by going to Iraq. From 1995 to 2009 somebody (the right mostly) allowed unprecedented losses of US Global manufacturg and trade, (and they blam Obama for the loss of jods) so that tiger is just chooing us up. Maybe when all those manufacturing jobs are returned we won't need that unemployment!!

March 3, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  23. honestjohn in Vermont

When many more people have decent jobs Jack. I can't imagine what it is like for the unemployed unable to find a job, there are precious few of them out there. Lately, I wonder if I could soon loose mine. Unfortunately we have sent so many jobs overseas and now we just don't have them anymore.

March 3, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  24. Uncle Jimbo

When the corporatists bring back our manufacturing base to the United States, and the unemployment rate drops below 5%.
    Without manufacturing jobs, where are you going to go for meaningful middle class wage jobs? Certainly NOT Wal-Mart !

March 3, 2010 at 6:02 pm |
  25. Greg

It should last until you equal or surpass what you paid into it. If you guys don't pay for unemployment insurance you should never get it.

March 3, 2010 at 6:02 pm |
  26. Johnny From South Carolina

Once they realize that people can't find jobs beacause of the poor trade decision's made in past that has sent companies and jobs to other countries.

March 3, 2010 at 6:02 pm |
  27. JONIQUe

When the economy produces enough jobs so that 8& of the workers can work, Unemployment will always be around. But my son with masters degree in chemistry reseaarch cannot find a job. no insurance either. I am payong $150.00 a month for anthem medical for him.

March 3, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  28. Johnny From South Carolina

Ask Senator Bunning. I'm sure he has a solution.

March 3, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  29. Stella

Stop Now! Americans are becoming solely dependent on Govt. hand outs. I'm a recruiter, I can't get people to go on job interviews, because it might mess up their unemployment benefits. The Govt. has got to stop all the give aways, forget health care that we can not afford, and get real on the jobs issue. If they had spent this last year on jobs, instead of health care, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Just a thought, maybe they don't know how to create jobs.

Dallas, TX

March 3, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
  30. Greg H - Minneapolis

Jack, until the government enacts policies that actually create REAL JOBS, they should keep on extending unemployment benefits. But instead liberals, who prefer to be called "progressive" despite the fact that their policies are NOT profressive, go for the "quick fix" in getting votes, rather than solve the problem once and for all. By the way, to fund the extension, the money should be taken from funds used to pay Congress and fund their benefits.

March 3, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
  31. Gary - Woodhaven, Michigan

Unemployment should stop when all who are able to work have the opportunity to do so and should be funded before funding wars for the sake of big business, before funding countries where the governments put the money in their own corrupt pockets, before funding corporations whose greed is their reward, before cutting Jim Bunning a paycheck as he should begin to know what sacrifice is, we should take care of the destitute in our country. That's how I want my dollars spent.

March 3, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
  32. Annette Samuelson

When the jobs come back and the jobless rate is down to 5%. Some people have paid into unemployment for years and years and never collected. If not for unemployment being extended again and again there would be more homeless people, more people needing food to survive and on and on it would go. Actually I think they should deduct all unemployment benefits from George W. Bush since he put us in the situation we are in. Better yet, end the wars where we don't belong and we'll have plenty of money to create jobs and take care of our own country and people.

March 3, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  33. Gail

Phoenix

Jack, it needs to stop at this point and Congress need to stop passing bills that are in conflict with the Paygo Bill. If the Paygo Bill has been signed and is in effect now, then they have an obligation to follow their decision. This is not a statement in support of Bunning, rather a statement exhorting our politicians to stick to the decisions that they support and sign into law. Stop making these matters a burden for the American people and dragging us into the political fight. It is irresponsible!

March 3, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  34. Alex in Gig Harbor

When six people are chasing every available job it is not yet time to end unemployment benefits because it isn't a choice, but they shouldn't go on forever. Maybe when unemployment goes down to 7% or 6% and more jobs are available the unemployed should be able to find work even if it isn't in their field.

March 3, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  35. Linda in Arizona

"Why search for a job when the government is still cutting you a check each week?"

Spoken like a true republican, Jack. Why search for a job when you're getting that big, cushy check every month, and finding out it's not enough to live on, and losing your health insurance as well? Gee, I don't know. What do YOU think?

March 3, 2010 at 6:08 pm |
  36. Duane in PA

73 additional weeks of benefits seems a little much. But it is money going back into our economey. This helps others to keep there jobs. The money benefits should be cut down after 26 weeks, up to 50% and give them food stamps to help feed there family. Food stamps are good for the econmey also

March 3, 2010 at 6:08 pm |
  37. Gayle

I would like anyone who says "unemployment benefits are a drain on the Treasury, an addition to the deficit, and a disincentive for recipients to actively look for work" to come sit with me any day of the week and watch as I perform job searches, register with employment agencies and send out hundreds of applications with my resume. Why search for a job when the government is still cutting you a check each week? We WANT JOBS! My unemployment per week is LESS than minimum wage. Figure out YOUR bills and see if you could live on less than minimum wage. A drain on the Treasury and deficit? May be, but should we start tent cities where you live because we can't make our mortgage or if we pay our mortgage, go without food and meds? I never thought after 40 years in the workforce I would be in this situation, but here I am! How fortunate for you that you haven't had to apply for UI. And the people in government fighting this? I would love to have your pay and insurance. Guess since you never have to worry about it, it's easy for you to sit there and say no.
    GC in Shorewood, Illinois

March 3, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  38. Jamie

At what point are we going to stop electing self-serving partisans who think corporate capitalism and freedom go hand in hand? Vote the incumbents out and let's not vote for Republicans and Democrats or venting Tea party candidates. We need government reform more than health care reform. That's reform with a capital R, as in Revolutionary reform. Stop picking on people collecting a check because so many of the professionals on Wall Street and the Hill are greedy self-serving bastards who wouldn't know public service if it bit them on the butt.

March 3, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
  39. Ken Keeton

How about when the government puts back regulations to protect the people from banks, and when there are jobs out there to support our families. The powerful rich in this country would love to see us crawl.

March 3, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
  40. Mike, Boca Raton,Florida

Start TODAY. 26+73 = 99 weeks or nearly 2 complete years. Anyone on the public dole for that long is in training to be a politician and we already have enough of those stealing us blind. When i couldn't find a job, I started my own business and have not only survived but managed to now have 4 employees. That to me is the Amercian way pp not laying around on your behind and whining for someone else to work so they can send you money

March 3, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
  41. Charles in ohio

Jack: When Wall Street pays back the country for causing this recession!!

March 3, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
  42. Johnny C (Los Angeles)

Hi Jack –

I think it should end at 26 weeks as it was designed. Otherwise, why do we even get taxed for it! If they are going to give it out indefinitely, people will take advantage and get the check and work under the table to make up the difference.

It is important to note that the system is flawed. If you are on unemployment and secure a short term job, you will lose the benefit when the stint is at an end! The system tells you to not accept any short term assignments because in the long haul, you will be worse off than if you just sat back and milked the government. The government has its own mess on its hands due to its own design.

March 3, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
  43. John DeMartini

They should stop extending unemployment benefits when Americans come to the realization that they, and they alone, make a nation what it is. We have allowed politicians to take control and void our constitution for all practical purposes. We have allowed ourselves to believe politicians can do something for us, when all they can do is lead and encourage us to greatness, something that none have done now for several years. Politicians have created this playing field that is severely biased in favor of corporations and made us dependent on the government, which was designed to be us. When we take our nation back, we won't have to depend on the government to care for us.

John,
    San Antonio

March 3, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
  44. Mike Mlkovitch

NOW. We're borrowing money from the Chinese to fund our own profiligate spending and that's suicidal. We'll run out of oxygen when they decide to turn off our life support. And where's all the TARP or Stimulus monies that's lying around in 'slush funds' and has NOT been spent? Why can't Govt use a tiny fraction of these funds rather than expect our kids and their kids to pick up our tab? Grrr.

March 3, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  45. Ralph Spyer

They are employ only the employer is the federal government ,the Americans who get out of bed every morning, the productive Americans, the ones who work for a living. We do not milk the system, we are the only hope for this society , we have individal character.

March 3, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  46. sammi

I think they should stop extending unemployment benefits when there are enough jobs to go around. We are far from over this recession and there are still not enough jobs.

March 3, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  47. Annie, Atlanta

The grim fact is there’s one job for every 5 or 6 people looking. I know John Kyl thinks people are sitting on their butts, living off the fat of the land, but he should try it before opening his big mouth. You can’t live on unemployment. You cannot stave off the inevitable – total financial ruin. I don't have answers. We need jobs.

March 3, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  48. Mel Seyffert - Houston

Obviously, the people complaining must have a job and plenty of money. A needed addition to the program is a requirement for retraining if a person has been unemployed for over six month. After the retraining the benefits should last at least another six months to a year.

March 3, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  49. fay, gilbert az

They should not stop the benefit extensions. We paid into this programme when we had jobs, we are entitled to this compensation. You try applying for work everyday and never getting even one reply, it sucks. Do you honestly think I like getting by on $240 a week??

March 3, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  50. M.A Reed

Simple answer....At what point do we want to start setting up the soup lines ?

March 3, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  51. Valley Joe

When Republicans stop being vengeful and stop dogging on those who are unemployed to "get a job".

March 3, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  52. Gigi Oregon

When the Government and the U.S. corporate world bring back all the jobs they shipped to other countries. When they put funding into the American Education so that we qualify for the jobs here in our own country. AND if you get wealthy off the your products sold to the American people, then build up third world countries with your profit You should be taxed 90%. Our government is at it's lowest point since the great depression and I'm old enough to know it. The only difference is the population has skyrocketed. And we are cursed with corrupted bailed out banking, run-away government, school children mentality representatives and twenty-four/seven media talk news.

Then that might be a good time to stop extended benefits. If the government stops before then "shame on them" and any party that supports that notion.

Until the American people get a backbone this country will keep going down.

March 3, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  53. NJersey

Unemployment benefits should be extended until companies are hiring people by the cruise ship load.

March 3, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  54. Chris

I cannot believe you would ask that question, Jack. Unemployment benefits should not stop, ever. Just because somebody is without a job does not mean they are unwilling to work or do not want to. Most of them do, on the contrary. On the other hand, some can't.
    Canada, N.B.

March 3, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  55. Antonio from Washington D.C.

When those who are jobless start taking advantage of the government.

March 3, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  56. Moby, Detroit, MI

Jack,

I think it should stop when there is significant job growth (>100K per month) for two consecutiive quarters.

March 3, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  57. julie

Gee, why stop, I mean we seem to have an unlimited amount of money for every kind of benefit anyone would ever need??!!

March 3, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  58. Brian B

I am currently under employed / unemployed and have been so for the past year, BUT I argee with Senator Bunning that "we" need to pay for these benefits now rather than putting it off until later or never. I was in the military for almost 30 years and have worked in budget management where we had to offset programs to pay for new expenses - just like this. Just like a $100K home costs $250K by the time it is paid for, we must get a handle on what we are spending regardless of whether or not it is popular. I also think Senators are there to do the right thing for the country, which may not the best thing for their constituents. Senator Bunning has a good point that if 100 senators who support the jobs bill can't find a way to pay for it, we're sunk.
    BB in Anacortes, WA

March 3, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  59. Nancy

Jack,

This topic is quite personal for me as I have been unemployed for the past 17 months. I believe this siutation was caused by many powerful and greedy people and it is those people who are doing nothing to get up back to work. The only role I can play in this chess game is make my vote count in November. I want to work more than anything and the only thing keeping me from being homeless is my unemployment. So the answer to your question is it should last until our Federal & State Government gets off its butt and does their jobs for the people that elected them!

March 3, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  60. lee

I think that the people and employers paid into this insurance fund. They need the benefits.
    The real question is, why are these people not out working on public works projects, repairing our infrastructures? Most of these people would be glad to work, even if it is temporary until they find permanent jobs.

March 3, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  61. Barbara Johnson

The government that bails out large corporations cannot even consider halting the extension of jobless benefits. Jobless benefits should be extended until our economy is back on its feet.

March 3, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  62. steve- virginia beach

There shouldn't be any extensions. Congress and the President could readily provide 8.5 million jobs by making eVerify mandatory and cross-referencing the Social Security and IRS databases, effectively forcing illegal aliens to self-deport. And 1.5 million more by stopping the issuance of work visas unless employers prove there aren't Americans to do the job. Millions more by stopping tax breaks for companies that outsource jobs and shifting the money to tax breaks for companies that don't outsource. Curtailing lawful immigration during high unemployment periods would also help. One-third of our workforce is either unemployed or working part-time because they can't find full-time work. Jobs could easily be provided for them if we (including they) elected politicians who are serious about passing and enforcing the necessary laws instead of inept socialist hippies with suits and haircuts.

March 3, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  63. Jorge Aguiar

LIKE right now. No more . I know of several people just using the money and not looking for jobs. Corruption here is big time as well.

March 3, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  64. Don Ritchie

Never.

There is no reason that anyone should be hungry or homeless in the United States of America due to economic insecurity.

March 3, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  65. don homuth

When the (hallowed) private sector starts producing jobs by lending out the money the banks and financial institutions were given as a bailout.

March 3, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  66. Jim

The government should stop cutting checks when they are no longer needed. Where does the money go when a check is cut for an unemployed citizen? It goes to businesses, malls, landlords, doctors, lawyers and groceries. It stimulates the economy much more than money given to banks and then passed on to executives who ship it to off shore accounts. And it feeds children and keeps people in school.

March 3, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  67. Bob Hughes

The government can stop extending unemployment benefits when it decides that it can accept a sharp rise in crime. People will not starve to death. If the unemployment benefits aren't there and the jobs aren"t there they'll steal to pay for food.

March 3, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  68. Ellen

Jack, the time to stop extending benefits is when the ratio of unemployed to available jobs, now in excess of 5 to 1 makes it more likely that we will find new employment. None of us asked for this. I , for one, got the largest raise of my life and the largest bonus of my life just one week before a nationwide RIF by my company. That was nearly two years ago. I am now fighting age discrimination in my attempt to become re-employed. Again, we did not ask for this situation and anyone who disagrees needs to live on UE for at least three months, minimum, and try to find a job in this economy. Those who do not empathize with us have no idea what they are talking about.

March 3, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  69. Michelle

Government should stop when they clean up the mess they have made and when they provide jobs for unemployed workers. I have been unemployed for close to two years. I am educated and I am use to working everyday. I am definitely not sitting at home waiting on an Unemployment check. I search for work every minute, every hour, everyday.

March 3, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  70. lynn

How about lets just stop them Jack and see what happens?

March 3, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  71. Tammy baumgartel

Jack -when we have spent as much on jobless benefits that we spent bailing out the banks that put us in this position then we can have this discussion.

March 3, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  72. Debbie Long

26 weeks is long enough for anybody to find a job, the Feds shouldn't get involved at all. 73 weeks + 26 weeks is almost 2 years – hello people, wake up!

March 3, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  73. Mark Ernst

The government should stop extending unemployment benefits when jobs come back. With some 8 million unemployed in the worst recession since the great depression, what do we want tent cities? People turning to crime to feed their family? What happened to our compassion? What about the "compassionate conservatives?" Oh yeah, they never were.

March 3, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  74. John

Until the total paid matches the bailouts given to the banking industry

March 3, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  75. Tom in Iowa

I am one of those Unemployed workers and my benefits ran out last week. I am sick of people saying we are living off the government. I am making less than 1/3 of what I was making when I had a job, I have no insurance, I cannot afford to put gas in my car, we eat crap food because we cannot afford anything that is healthy. I am telling you that no one can live on what I get each week for unemployment, no one. I would be happy to stop having to live on unemployment and get a job, only there aren't any jobs. I did not ask to be in this position, but I am very grateful for the little that I am getting because without it, we would be homeless.

Tom in Iowa

March 3, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  76. Anita Mehryari

Easy question to answer. As soon as the job market is up and running again. The gov"t helped greatly to create this mess, shouldn't they do at least as much to fix it before cutting people off from the only money coming in to keep the wolf away from the door.

March 3, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  77. Rich

Until the economy recovers and generates jobs. As someone who is unemployed, I can tell you that jobs are near impossible to find. The notion that someone would rather stay on unemployment instead of finding a job is obviously a comment from someone who has not lost a job.

How about if Congress stops adding "Pork" to every bill they see. That would certainly make the money available to help people that really need it.

This week's theater about the unemployment extension shows that Congress, and particularly Republicans "JUST DON'T GET IT!"

March 3, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  78. Christian

Mr. Cafferty,

I believe that these benefits should stop when Congress or the President run out of ideas and ways to fund them, oh wait, that was before the Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. How about we stop bailing out everyone with tax dollars, cut the Congresses pay raise and benefits so they know what it feels like and then make them foot the multi-billion dollar plans and deals coming about. They might stop spending money and start figuring out ways to create some and solutions without a huge deficit.

March 3, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  79. Ken

I have a better question. At what point do we stop extending foreign aid? I think the people in this country need more aid obviously. If we cut out some or all of the foreign aid then we could help our starving workers in this country while they look for a job. We also don't need to have troops in Germany and other countries. WW 2 has been over for a long time now. I know this is off topic but we could be using all this money to help the unemployed and maybe re train people in other fields so they can more easily obtain another job. Cut military spending to pay for help for our own people. Simple solution!

March 3, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  80. James in Idaho

I'd say they should stop when republicans get into power again. We can live with their "ideas" for a bit, people can regain their memory of what life under republican control has been like this past decade, and then we can vote in a democrat again.

Let's be honest Jack, the only reason so many republicans are upset is because the dems already borrowed enough to take care of many of the larger issues in our country, and at the same time have deminished the republicans capacity to borrow more only to spend it on themselves and other bad investments. that's the real reason they're all crying.

March 3, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  81. Kelly

Jack, ! Why isn't anyone complaining about the need for the extended benefits? Where did the stimulas money go....to all thecongress's pet projects not to jobs! At some point we have to stop this craziness.

March 3, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  82. russ rankin

I think jobless benifits should stop being extended just as soon as they stop extending benifits to Wall Street and bring jobs back to this country by taxing businesses that outsource.

March 3, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  83. Richard, Kankakee, IL.

After they put people 20 million people who are here illegally, in prison for breaking our laws for working in our country when they are not supposed to work here, then 10 million Americans can take those slots that went to illegals, and at that point we will not need to use our rightly earned and paid for unemployment!

March 3, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  84. Jerry Jacksonville, Fl.

We pay members of congress one hell of a salary for doing nothing, why does it hurt to pay some poor person a little unemployment money so they can eat. I think we need to pay them until they find a job, I know some take advantage of the system and so do the lousy jerks we elect to congress, If they're not millionaires when they come to congress they sure the hell are when they leave. What a shame that we elect these jerks and all they can think of is themselves and how much money they can screw the american taxpayer our of.

March 3, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  85. Jeremiah, VA

Jack,

The vote passed 78 to 19 for a total of 97 votes out of 100 grumpy old men. Assuming all 59 of the Dems voted Yea that would mean 19 Republicans voted Yea as well. This would mean the Conservative Right Wings were split. This is a good story isn't it, considering they almost always fall in line like good little sheep.

March 3, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  86. michael armstrong sr.

The people on unemployment should be forced to complete the workforce commission's job find classes which last about 3 months which stops there benefits if they dont attend and if they dont find a job after the class then they do mandated jobs imposed on to them from the workforce to keep there food stamps and unemployment .

March 3, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  87. Carole, Flowery Branch, Ga.

They can stop extending jobless benefits when the unemployment rate drops to 6%, The cause of our high enemployment wasn't the fault of those who are now unemployed, but of the failure of the Gov't agencies charged to prevent the fiscal abominations that they allowed to occur! Take the $$ to fund unemployment out of those massive Wall St. bonuses instead of the Fed. Treasury.

March 3, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  88. Nancy Lawrence

No, the sooner we face up to the bitter pill of this new reality of the "norm" of lower wages and benefits,,,the sooner we will adjust to our new lower standard of living in this country which is inevitable given the global economy.Nancy from Toms River, NJ

March 3, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  89. Ron

They should stop the outsourcing of american jobs overseas then it would not be necessary to extend unemployment benefits. The company I work for layed off over 500 workers last year and moved all the jobs overseas. Then the CEO of the company is invited to be on the commison for fisical responsibility. Go figure.

March 3, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  90. Deborah in Blue Springs, MO

When I can afford health insurance and can find a decent job that won't disappear the next time the market shudders. I'm sick to death of these fat cat politicians who are unwilling to remember We the People as they enjoy fruitless work and lavish health benefits on OUR dime.

March 3, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  91. jenifer bright

something else to consider in the whole unemplyment debate...all the 1099 contract employee's who are ineligible for benefits. They don't pay into the system but their taxes are extending the benefits. My husband job ended after 18 months of approx 70% pay cut. Left with no benefits and unemployment at 14.6 in our county reported today. Mortgage is under water and Chase says we dont qualify for loan mod after 13 months. Our US senator wrote Chase CEO 2 times and we were still turned down for loan mod. It's a no brainer...jobs over healthcare.

March 3, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  92. Dave, Brooklyn, NY

Until the financial damage that the United States government did to the American people has been undone, and not a month sooner. Contrary to the self-serving and disingenuous “opinions” of certain senatorial cretins, most of these people are desperately looking for, and in need of honest work. They are willing to work hard, but thanks to the last administration’s hands-off-of-business policies, these people are in trouble through no fault of their own. Granted, some are milking the system, and they should be dealt with harshly. But however dishonest and unethical they may be, they can’t hold a candle to some of the human scum with the letters C-E-O after their names.

March 3, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  93. Anna

When should the government stop extending jobless benefits, when the government starts extending jobs! Nuff Said

March 3, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  94. Mary B

Unemployment benefits should continue until congress and the government stop negotiating trade agreements that allow American jobs to go overseas and pay American companies to do this, they should extend until millionaires and billionaires who get rich on the backs of the American worker stop getting million dollar bonuses. They should continue until the congress passes health care reform, education reform, jobs bill and other things they should be getting done for the American people. In other words they should continue until congress and the republican party freezes over. I blame the republican policies of the last 20 years for the loss and destruction of the American middle class.

March 3, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  95. Pete

Governmebt shouldn't stop benefits considering the jobless situation and that employers making it more difficult to find employment. Government created this culture of unemployment and should have to continuously budget for this fund to assist the citizens who are suffering due to the govermments decision making and laws like Right to Work laws given employers the right to fire for no reason at all

March 3, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  96. Gary Roseland

In Arizona the top pay for unemployment is $240.00 per week and that is making too much to include food stamps. I made $62,000.00 a year untill lay off 6 months ago Jack. There are no jobs hear in AZ.....Yet

$240 per week is Hardly an INCENTIVE to stay on UNEMPLOYMENT.
    let it roll till the jobs return...............or the crime rates will continue to go SKY HIGH!
    Gary.............Phx, Az

March 3, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  97. Miles

Jack...

Unemployment Benifits should end when we no longer have 6 to 7 people applying for every available job. UI does still help the economy.. we pay Federal Taxes, as well as use the monies to purchase food, utilities, rent/mortgages.

Are the States ready to see their Welfare rolls rise, if these "benefits" cease? My "benefits" are less than 1/3rd of what I was making before being laid off...

I'd like to see those that "complain" live on that income.

Miles
    Payson, AZ

March 3, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  98. frank dileo

The answer to that is quite simple. Stop extending them when the mess that has been created by years of deregulation has been cleared up. Im in florida and i hate being unemployed! I didnt ask for the chevrolet dealership i had been working at for 5 years to go under. i still cant find a job even though im highly qualified and its been a year now.

March 3, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  99. Darren Johnson

Unemployment benefits should be available until there are enough jobs to make them unnecessary.

Darren in Fairbanks, Alaska

March 3, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  100. Zakk

i say they should have to pay up until people can GET work. For the government to simply cut off those payments after so many weeks when they know that people are really hurting. Not just having to sell an extra car off or not vacation as much. I mean not being able to pay for the simplest of services. Let alone ANY sort of insurance. its ridiculous. They need to get a clue.

March 3, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  101. Charles in Atlanta

AH......When they do everything in their power to start creating jobs. Until then.......PAY US! Maybe I'll save a couple of checks, and fly to China to seek employment. It's getting critical here Jack!

March 3, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  102. Ron Hicks

How about at the same time that the government stops wanting me to pay taxes?

March 3, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  103. Doug

They should keep extending benefits until they stop making it so profitable for corporate America to export millions of US jobs overseas. They created the problem so they should clean it up.

March 3, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  104. Jamie

Partially. But, what we really need is a new amendment to the Constitution which explicitly gives some authority to the government to regulate firearms and restricts the government from engaging in other actions against gun owners. We need honest, enforcable laws and not the deceitful opinions of unelected judges whose appointments are assigned on the basis of partisan leanings and whose opinions are predicated on those partisan loyalties and ideologies and not the letter of the law or intent of the law.

March 3, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  105. harry

I'm against the by-product of this extenstion, i.e deficit, but I can't find a job! I'm a registered architect and I apply for atleast 10 to 20 jobs every week, that includes not only all of US, but all english speaking countries on this planet. I've tried starting something on my own but banks refused my client loans despite putting 23% down for a well know hospitality brand project!

March 3, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  106. Mgordon

Not only until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
    It is the people's money that elect people to govern. The government responsibility is to avoid mistakes to keep the people at work.

March 3, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  107. Robert

Until jobs become at least a remote possibility. Of course, there are those who would use unemployment as a way to be lazy, but most people dont WANT to be on unemployment... they HAVE to be on unemployment. Or, we could be like Haiti's Gov't and just let the hungry people be damned.

March 3, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  108. Joan Gilbert-Croteau

Jack,

Job benefits should not be stopped at any time. Those benefits are helping families to continue their purchasing power not just for their own families but keeps businesses from closng their doors. Without job benefits, families are one check away from having to loose their homes. Its much cheaper to keep families in their homes.

March 3, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  109. Kevin / NE

First off; I'm insulted that NOW the GOP is saying that the benefits would give me incentive to stay at home and collect a check...when it comes to the people that's the job of government and in the process of cleaning up the "childrens'" mess from before...well, the benefits should keep coming till the economy is atleast near normal. Those benefits are a matter of staying in your house, eating, and childcare among a few things that keep some families together. But no...the GOP blah blah blah. Sad

March 3, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  110. K and A

I think the length of unemployment benifits should vary from case-case. My fiance is a commercial fisherman. That means his work is seasonal. Granted that yes, the money is good, it dosn't last the entire time between seasons. Or he is home longer because the boat is dry-docked. In our case, it's a seasonal time for us to apply for the unemployment benifits. This time can be between 2 and 6 months. And no one wants to hire someone for that period of time. All in all, it should be a case-case type thing as to when the benefits stop.

K and A
    Eagle River, AK

March 3, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  111. Karen

You cannot support yourself on unemployment benefits; the maximum weekly check in GA is $330! I am teaching college courses as an adjunct, and then the state reduces my unemployment check to compensate for that large income from the part-time teaching. I hold a Master's degree and a Teaching Certificate, and neither is able to get me a full-time teaching job at the moment. The Republicans need to live in the real world someday.

March 3, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  112. Vicky from WI

UC benefits should revert back to the 26 week subsidy when the unemployment rate is at a reasonable place somewhere between 5 and 7%. For now, until the economy improves and employers start hiring again, the extensions should be approved by Congress. However, I do feel some individual states are doing a lousy job of monitoring who is and is not actively searching for employment. I know a person in Arizona on his third extension who has not been actively pursuing employment since he was laid off from his internship in California. He has an MBA. and has collected not only from California, but then Arizona where he lives. Now, that is abuse of the system and yes, I have conveyed that to him.

March 3, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  113. Marie

My brother and his wife have been collecting $1,100.00 a week for the past 99 weeks, they have been banking this money. They said why should we work, we're looking forward to the next extension. I say stop the benefits get off your butt and get a job!!!

March 3, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  114. Brian

Hi Jack,

Health benefits should not just stop, but should decrease each month until they expire. It gives the unemployed a countdown to when their benefits will finally run out. To suddenly lose benefits is a shock to people, and they can't plan appropriately. A gradual decrease lets them know what's happening, and they will start adjusting before their benefits run completely out.

March 3, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  115. Richard Rodriguez

If the Gov't can bailout AIG to the tune so far of $ 260 Billion, then I don't have any qualms with giving hard-working people up to 2 years of unemployment benefits. As far as the people who say that people would be less reluctant to look for work. What an idiotic statement. Isn't America still the best work force in the world? Aside of course, the Senate and the Congress.

March 3, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  116. Jim Green, TX, www.Inclusivism.org

Jack, in lieu of extending unemployment benefits Congress needs to pass the following: Temporary emergency job creation legislation - A federally mandated, private [non-profit] mutual employment insurance, owned by the American employee [from the doorman to the CEO] to provide the funds to hire/train our unemployed—This is a pro-market solution.

March 3, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  117. Sue from Redwood City

The government should stop extending benefits when the jobs in this jobless recovery come back. If they are worried about paying for it, then get the hell out of Iraq! How much per day is that costing us???

These greedy American companies should be made to pay the government the weekly equivalent of unemployment benefits for the American salary level of every job they send overseas, because that means one more American out of work. The weekly payout can stop when they bring that job back home.

March 3, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  118. Richard Curren

How can you blame the unemployed for getting laid off? Do you think they want to live on $1200.00 per mo.?There are at least eight job seekers for every job opening. Unemployment payments should be extended until there are jobs available. Why don't we lay off some of the borrow and spend republicans that caused this disaster and see how they like it?

March 3, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  119. Scott Stodden

I don't know when they should stop extending unemployment because there's no jobs out there and so many people have either lost there jobs or can't find a job. So many people need there unemployment benefits now more than ever but after this issue I think speaking as a Democrat there has to be a time when you stop the extension of unemployment benefits! Don't you think so Jack?

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

March 3, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  120. Harold in Sacramento

How about when all of the companies that shipped jobs overseas bring them back, remember them saying that with all the money they are saving they can create more jobs in the US, well we're waiting?

Oh and thank you Goldman Sachs for rewarding and encouraging these companies to do so, because you just have not raped and pillaged the middle class enough. And a special thanks to congress, for allowing this to happen over the past twenty years, I hope you all got wealthy.

March 3, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  121. Gayle

Let businesses stop outsourcing for cheap help and bring the jobs back here for those of us needing jobs! How about penalizing the companies that outsource and help the people here. That would be an incentive to create jobs.

March 3, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  122. Michele Shively

When should the govt stop extending unemployment benifits?
    When our economy is stable and people are employed! When there is no poverty in the Greatest Country there is!

Without benefits : it will dominoe out.. Are we upset that Banks are failing? Without the support many wont be able to pay the banks their mortgages. This woud bring more foreclosures, this would lower values on homes again. ( It would not affect only the unemployed.) Tell me when we look back on the images of the Great Depression.. could YOU walk upto one of the people in those lines and even ask such a question. This is maintenance... so it doesnt get worse! And for many it already is very bad...

P.S. Wish me well on my job interview on Friday.. smiling.. :)

March 3, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  123. John A Doane

Jack Absolutely the should discontinure jobless benefits.
    Why work when you can get a pay check without working
    The giverbnebt sgiykd start a WPA progrram like FDR did in the great depression. No jo b go to he WPA (Works Program Admin) and you can get a job and pay for you work. This would help every city county and state in the US

Jack
    Edenton

March 3, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  124. Kimberly Carten Casey

It seems that we have forgotten the lessons of the Great Depression. How many of the middle class are now in poverty due to losing their job, and only have unemployment benefits to depend on. Unemployment benefits is really the last of the social safety net that we have. This country have always extended benefits when unemployment is high. So, if you really think that people are not looking for jobs, your nuts, there are no jobs. When wal mart one of the biggest employer in the country is losing money, the economy is bad. The govt has an obligation to help its citizens, not just the rich and powerful.

March 3, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  125. Beth Stannard - Seattle, WA

When Congress decides that creating jobs is a priority! I've seen very little discussion on this issue. In fact, there has been more news on congress canceling unemployment benefits than there has been on creating jobs. Cancelling unemployment benefits will cause a rise in hopsital costs, welfare benefits, crime, & continued demoralization of citizens! Perhaps Congress should receive a pay cut of 40% until they come up with a solution! And if they don't fix it in 26 weeks, their paychecks should stop too!

March 3, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  126. Jennie Woods

I think at some point, the unemployed person's household income/situation should be evaluated. I know someone who worked for 20-plus years, but her income was secondary. Her husband supports the family and just by cutting back a little (no fancy vacations etc.) they are getting by just fine. She has been collecting unemployment for almost two years. I don't think someone who does not rely on the money to pay rent and bills should continue getting the funds. The people who work for unemployment are overwhelmed and hardly check to see if people really are applying for jobs. Toms River, NJ

March 3, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  127. Susan

I'd say that depends on when the job market turns around. These are people who want to work. They had to have lost their previous job through no fault of their own and must be actively searching for work, at least here in my state. But when there are six people actively looking for work for every available job, it is a no win situation for most. These people don't want charity. They want jobs! But to keep a roof over their heads and food in their childrens stomachs, they swallow their pride and accept the governments help.

March 3, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  128. Bruce

I think once government begins to do it's job of taking care of the needs of the people instead of themselves, a few things would change. When you ship all our jobs overseas, allow Corporations to avoid income taxes by moving corporate headquarters off shore, turn our nation into a consumer nation and allow illegal imigrants to displace Americans from their jobs, you have to expect this type of need. The partisan nature of todays politics is what is causing this, not the individuals. If congress is the cause of our problems, it isn't likely that they are going to be too quick to fix them anytime soon.

March 3, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  129. ron martin

when shouldThe government should stop the extentions on unemployment benefit? When the senate and congress keep giving their selves raises every year when they do nothing, when thery get the same health care benefits that the American people get , when they start thinking and doing for this country and its people and not for theirselves and stop being so concerned about only their position in prlitics and when they stop all their atterntion to the huge donations they get for their campaign funds and their million aire friends are a few reasons. And when the finally realize the pain suffering and deaths they are causing in this country and its citizens because of their own biases, prejudices and self serving polisies, thats when they should stop.

March 3, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  130. David

During this economic crisis, the government helped the banking industry.
    There are Americans suffering on a daily basis. I should think that our citizens are entitled to assistance from the politicians they employ, until the stimulus packages have impacted our economy.

March 3, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  131. Clark, Indiana

NOW. 26 weeks of unemployment benefits which can be spaced out over a year. This can be followed by 33 weeks of "Emergency unemployment benefits" and that is followed by about 20 weeks of "Extended Benefits" unemployment benefits and now yet another 30 days added on to that?? That means someone can be out of work for more than a year and a half! "No need to get a job guys, were extending the benefits...again". Why don't they just extend unemployment benefits forever? What happens in a month when the same people are still not working? Another month long extension I presume, to the tone of 10 billion unfunded dollars? Super!

March 3, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  132. James Yocum

Jack,

One facter that seems to be overlooked is that unemployment benefits are actually insurance benefits. All our employers are required to pay into our state's program and the Federal program. The money paid in to these funds are part of our pay package . . . not a tax on the employer. I believe these funds are required to build up a reserve to pay benefits during the times of increased unemployment. When that reserve requirement is met in good times, what happens to the deposits after that? If federal assistance kicks in after the first 26 weeks of state coverage, shouldn't the Federal benefits come from their reserve fund? Are these reserve funds depleted? If not, why are we allocating more money into it? If they are depleted already, why? It all seems like a shell game in a smoke filled room to me.

James Yocum.

March 3, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  133. Ron Nagel

I do not think it should end. I think congress should pay until the people do not need the income. The whole mess was caused by a corrupt congress relaxing all the safeguards put in place to prevent the current meltdown and also by a Banking industry and the Securties industry that are so corrupt that they still REFUSE to admit what they did. BY the way, I am self employed and still making a living.

March 3, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  134. Yani

As long as massive layoffs continue, businesses dont hire people, and the unemployed cant find jobs; our government must continue to provide assistance unless we're ready to see more crimes because people are desparate.

March 3, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  135. Ivan Cusnir

Hi Jack When Gov"t stops banks bail out.

March 3, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  136. max

I've been paying into unemployment insurance since I started working almost 30 yrs ago ... that money is MINE or another needy soul when we become unemployed ... the arrogance, greed and selfishness of the conservatives (republicans) is disgusting

March 3, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  137. Frank Voluntad

Also, If we can afford to help Haiti, Chile, and all these other charity cases then we can afford to help our middle class. My Grandpa was a smart man and one thing i remember him saying is CHARITY STARTS AT HOME!!! REMEMBER THAT WHEN YOU DONATE MONEY OVERSEAS!!!!

March 3, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  138. Janis

The government should keep extending unemployment benefits until the jobs return or else decide how to provide for the homeless masses that will result. Would it be less expensive to house, feed and clothe 10% of American families with other government programs? Or have we become callous enough as a society to turn away our less fortunate neighbors as they beg on the street? I believe it is our moral obligation to provide for these folks, especially since it was largely government negligence that has caused this mess. There but for the grace of God........

March 3, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  139. Doris Lauter

The government should stop the extra unemployment benefits when jobs are plentiful.
    People want to work, so why penalize them for not finding work?
    When jobs are plentiful and some don't find it, then they should be denied any extra help.
    Doris
    Ojai, California

March 3, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  140. Kurt in Texas!!

Hey Jack, I am unemployed and working hard to find a job, every day all day for now almost a yr. I am 45 and was a mortgage banker/broker in tx. I have even moved to Austin from San Antonio in hopes to get additional education or retrain for a new career something!! No family, or friends to help me, I am single but with out this unemployment I would be in the streets. This is so stressful. I lost my car sold my home with no profeit ,got sick no Ins, with kidney stones, now have an emergency room bill for 6700.00? A friend is letting me stay rent free just to get on my feet. Beeen here a month Jobs Please!! WE NEED JOBS!! And, I think Obama is doing a great job. Where would we be with Mc Same and Plain!! Lol..K

March 3, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  141. steve- virginia beach

Thirty-three percent of our workforce is either unemployed or working part-time due to lack of full-time jobs. Perchance would these be the same folks who elected the politicians who refuse to prioritize getting them jobs?

March 3, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  142. Richard Karbowski

You are now talking about our own people of the United States of America....you are talking about heads of families with children....you are talking about people that have never had to draw unemployement....you are talking about Vetrans that have no other way to care for themselves or thier families...."Why is this such an issue?" Maybe our newspeople should travel around our country with their camera's showing how some of our people are suffering and wondering how they can eat. If our people need the help then stop feeding the rest of the world and take care of our own for a change....all the riff is coming from people that have never had to scrounge for a meal or wondered if the heat would be shut off....take care of our own people first...because if we don't there are no other countries that will.

March 3, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  143. Maria - California

Great question Jack-I have worked all my life, raised my son as a single parent, never asked for a hand out, find myself without a job for well over a year, called for several interviews only to find myself competing amongst 50-100 others for one position after submitting resumes DAILY (well over 600) I am deeply grateful for the federal extensions where I might find myself otherwise pushing my cart down the street. Had this not passed, the backlash I feel would be devastating for so many unemployed-more foreclosures, more homeless, more starving children in such a rich nation! I resent those who say we just sit on our laurels and enjoy collecting these benefits. I would love to see what legislators would do if they were in our shoes. Thank you Bunning! Don't know where we draw the line.

March 3, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  144. mel in NC.

The benefits should stop after the additional 73 weeks Congress just passed. SO FAR, this is NOT a socialist country.

March 3, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  145. Jay

Unemployment insurance should be extended. This is not a handout. Millions of Americans are out of work through no fault of their own. There are few jobs out there which is why so many are still out of work. The government should stop the extension when economy is back to normal and who knows when that will be. As long as unemployment is above 6 percent keep the benefits coming so that those out of work can provide for themselves and their families. I am from New Jersey.

March 3, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  146. Patricia, Seattle

Jack,
    The Government should stop extending jobless benefits when the Republicans restore the manufacturing jobs that they so effortless gave away during the Bush-Cheney nightmarish years at the helm.

March 3, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  147. Bob Pudelski

When the Federal government stops giving incentives to American corporation for sending jobs to China and other Asian countries. In addition penalize countries, and thier American corporate partners, with taxes and tarriffs on imported products from countries that abuse labor, the enviroment and currency valuation. Things will correct quickly; welcome home corporate America.

March 3, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  148. Neil

This is a sore subject to me. I am in my 50’s and would rather work than put my hand out to collect! There are ample part-time jobs available for the unemployed; they choose not to work so that they can collect their full subsidy. It is all backwards …. It should require working part-time and then collect a partial unemployment check. The unemployed would make out better that way. For an unemployed person saying that they spend fulltime looking for a job so they don’t have time to work is full of bull!

March 3, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  149. John

Jack,
    It's important to realize how many people are out of work and collecting unemployment benefits for the first time. Most have to re-invent themselves in the workplace. Consider the time it takes for them to re-invent themselves, and America.
    John

March 3, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  150. Lynn, Columbia, Mo.

When there are no more jobless.

March 3, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  151. marie johnson

Jack,
    what is so wrong, with the poor and middle class getting medical insurance, we are paying for the politicians and their families insurance. why should we not get the same.

Blue dogs Dems and the Gops, we will remember them in November, the Gops is just ashame that they were not the one to do this. But as they said before, they want the President to fail.
    When Mr Bush send the jobs over seas, and borrowing from China, no sound came from the Gops

Just come to Houston, and you will see, that the chinese already, take over Texas, even the street names are written in their language.

Marie J.

March 3, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  152. Mark

Many people who work (not qualified for umemployment) deserve more help than some wealthy people who do get "unemployment" benefits. Professional athletes, movie stars, highly paid CEO's all qualify for unemployment "between jobs". There should be at a minimum some kind of means test for this benefit.
    The government could help people in a more fair way by increasing the earned income tax credit, the personal exemption, the minimum wage and other programs that benefit the working poor not just the
    "unempoyed" who may or may not be poor.

South San Francisco, CA

March 3, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  153. Keith

Our Congress, who are mostly bought and paid for by Big Business, have been creating policies that keep shipping our jobs overseas. Instead of correcting the mortgage crisis they hand our futures to the same bankers that bought them off long ago.
    Apparently, we aren't going to produce anything in America any longer. So just tax the Big Businesses and keep extending jobless benefits forever. We can all stay home and watch CNN. Otherwise, at least keep extending them until Americans can wake up and throw the bums out of office. Anyone voting Democrat or Republican is a fool. Vote Libertarian, Independent, Socialist. Heck, write in None of the above!

March 3, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  154. Jame Koopman

I'm thankful for the check every two weeks, otherwise my house would be in foreclosure. 27 years in printing and laid off from the newspaper, to go from $27 and hour to I would be happy to find a $10 an hour job with no benefits. Countless applications and resumes sent out for one job interview? I have an avulsion fracture in my shoulder since September that the colorado indigent care program won't fix because they won't cover an orthopedic surgeon. Then I take care of my Mom that's on Social Security and an Uncle with dementia. Life is great.

March 3, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  155. Birddog in mississippi

I am sick of hearing Republican senators talk out of both sides of their mouths. On the one hand, they yap on about how Americans are "hardworking" and "ingenious," but when those same people lose their jobs through no fault of their own, they are lazy enough to just stay home a collect a "handout," that barely covers what it takes to stay afloat. I look around and see plenty of very, very, wealthy Americans out there - most of the wealthiest are those who make money off of money - not by actually doing anything. We have corrupted capitalism - not because we moved away from a free-market capitalistic system, but because we have not realized the inherent flaw in capitalism - money in the hands of few grows exponentially & creating power which restricts competition.

March 3, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  156. John., Phenix City ALA

Unemployment benefits are a lifeline to millions., I think the benefits should be extended at least through this year, and looked at and evaluated in 2011.., if congress would go ahead and do the extention and get it over with, then it could go on and do other things this country needs to get out of this economic mess we are in....

March 3, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  157. Jan Payne

Unemployment benefits have the ultimate trickle-down effect. This is not a hand-out to the rich who are just going to stick it in the bank. This money is spent immediately for the necessities of life.
    Jan
    Julian, CA

March 3, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  158. Patty A

Jack,
    I am one of the millions who lost their job last year, after working for over 30 years, the last 15 with the same employer.
    After actively seeking work for 9 months, I finally took a part-time temporary job that paid an hourly wage that is only 1/3 of what I had been making. I continue to look for a permanant job at higher pay.
    I'm eternally grateful for unemployment benefits, and even more grateful that my husband still has a job.
    If not for unemployment benefits, our homeless populations would swell, as would the welfare roles. Even with those benefits, which only replace about half your income, I don't know how some people are surviving. Many are probably moving in with friends and relatives.
    Everyone keeps screeming "where is the bailout for mainstreet?" – well folks, this is the bailout for mainstreet. As was the cash for clunkers, as is health care reform, as is home buyer tax credits, etc.
    I know benefits cannot, and should not, go on forever, but I can personally testify to how difficult it is to find a job out there! And just what WILL people do when the benefits stop, and they still can't find a job? And are we willing to turn our back on them?
    Thanks.

March 3, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  159. John A Doane

Jack Absolutely they should discontinue extending jobless benefits
    They should go to a work program like they had during the great depression. It was WPA – Workds Program Admin. and if you lost your job or didn't have a job you could get one, It required work for your paychecheck.\\

Jack\
    Edentn NC

March 3, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  160. ken hansen

When? That's easy! Start now by eliminating the first recepients of 99 weeks ago, dropping each weeks recepients one week at a time. That way it will decline to ZERO in 99 weeks. Understand?

Palm Coast, Florida with 11.4% unemployment.

March 3, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  161. JW Georgia

For me, never. For everyone else, immediately.

March 3, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  162. Lori

As long as people are actively looking for work, and benefits are reduced or deferred when someone is working, then there shouldn't be a time limit. Besides, unemployment won't start to come down until this health care thing is resolved, and if the issue is how much the government is spending on this program, then perhaps businesses should contribute more to unemployment insurance. It might just motivate them NOT to fire people in the first place.

March 3, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  163. Keith

Government should stop extending jobless benifits when the politicians stop allowing the exportation of our jobs and manufacturing base overseas period.

March 3, 2010 at 6:34 pm |
  164. LaVon K Hummel

Maybe when the number of unemployed is below 5Million Americans. When its a measly 1Million maybe then we can let them go homeless. The last Administration ignored us in to our current state. Should we just assume that 5Million people are sponging of the government.

March 3, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  165. Robert

For most unemployment checks are well below what they were making on the job. Mine were about fifty percent. This is not enough to sit back and not search for a job. Agreed some can survive on this and will abuse the system. Still, we should not let the few ruin it for the many that need it. It would be worse for the ecomomy to cut the benefits off then not. five million with no check would be quite negative
    The government should not stop paying until the unemployment rate is much lower and jobs are more available. It's a lot less then the banks got.
    Also, income tax still taxes unemployment benefits beyond 2400.00. This is crazy to give money that is barely enough to survive on and then tax it.

March 3, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
  166. Rich from Texas

Jack there is a reason why these benifits were only made to be temporary. To give people time to find another job. Not the same kind of job just another job. Not one that paid the same just a job. People tend to forget that. These benifits do not need to be extendeded any more. People just need to find any job expect less and accept it and move on with their life.

March 3, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
  167. Phoebe

I don't think unemployment should run out ever. No one should be hungry or homeless in America. BUT I also think that in order to draw it, people should have to do community service. Nothing demeaning, not more than 20 hours a week – reading to school kids, refurbishing a playground, etc. Give back to the community since the commnity is giving to you.

New York City

March 3, 2010 at 6:37 pm |
  168. Trick P Minneapolis, MN

When they are no longer needed. Whether the unemployed receive benefits or not, the jobs aren't there. Believe me, I know. After applying for job after job for the past 14 months with no success, I've lost confidence in my ability to find a job. I'm not lazy. I'm 57 years old and have worked for the last 40 years. I've paid taxes and never asked for anything from the government. Now, I've lost my health insurance, my retirement is gone and I'm in danger of losing my house. Please don't try to make me feel guilty for receiving unemployment benefits. It buys food and lets me pay for cable so I can watch you. This whole experience has been discouraging enough without listening to those who would say we are milking the system. Thank you.

March 3, 2010 at 6:37 pm |
  169. Ron Baker

What do you want them to do....Starve? $240 a week will hardly feed a family let alone keep a roof over their heads. Can you imagine how many of these people we could help with the economy where it is if we just got out of Iraq and Afghanistan. We never paid for either one of those wars except by borrowing. Now the hypocrites want fiscal responsability when we are trying to help our own people. Come on, Jack, call it like it is.

March 3, 2010 at 6:38 pm |
  170. Stacy Weaver

Keeping in mind that this is a very difficult question to answer due to a high unemployment rate for a long time, applicants should be given an additional 26 weeks of benefits but with conditions. Such as using various job search methods such as proof of attending job fairs, networking functions in their field, and informational interviews if they are interested in changing careers as well as training. Applying for jobs online should be a criteria as well, in addition to mailing in sheets of employment contacts. Applicants should be given every opportunity to be empowered in a difficult job market.

Bronx, NY

March 3, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  171. Shane

Jack i think the goverment should pay unemployment at least until they prove that they are really creating some jobs, I live in Southern Ohio and i have not seen where they have been putting America back to work here I have been laid off almost two years now my job moved to MEXICO , but I have recently have completed training in the medical field so i expect to find work soon

March 3, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  172. Tim in Texas

You can't cut of these benefits. It does seem; however, that it would be better to pay people for doing something - anything - for at least a few days a week - with time allowed for job interviews or searches. Have people paint our classrooms, clean-up parks, revitalize neighborhoods –whatever. Even volunteer work could count. This also helps people retain skills and contacts.

March 3, 2010 at 6:40 pm |
  173. Wm in PA

Jack,
    We have chosen to fight two wars with deficit funding, Now 8 years later we are worrying about the deficit going from a few trillion to 14 Trillion dollars which we are using using as an excuse not do the domestic things that need to be done.
    We pay deficit cash to Iraqis to "join" us or at least not shoot us, today.
    We pay mercenaries, thousands of them, $300,000.00/yr in deficit dollars to fix lunch for our troops. We build weapons systems that the military says the neither need or want for billions of dollars.
    Enough of the false weeping about deficits. If we cared we would pay taxes to cover the costs of our troops.
    We need to pay unemployment and medical costs for our citizens till they get paying jobs with benefits.

March 3, 2010 at 6:40 pm |
  174. Ryan

I never thought I'd be envious of the guy in the hard hat breaking up concrete along the route I USED TO travel to my previous place of employment.
    The world has changed. America has changed. But when the benefits stop, be prepared for the people to burn it all down!

March 3, 2010 at 6:41 pm |
  175. Phil, georgia

One thing I know, now is not the time to throw the people to the wolves. Its very evident and documented that jobs are scarce at this time,, so we must take durastic measures to help keep as many people as possible out of poverty.

March 3, 2010 at 6:41 pm |
  176. Bruce Maine

LOL, government is the problem, not the solution. The question should be: "Will extended unemplyment benefits be required if we boot out the current congress and replace them with those who have not already sold their souls?"

March 3, 2010 at 6:41 pm |
  177. Mike from NY

There has to be some plan in place to end the extensions. Ex. practically every job outsourced outside of the U.S. means one more person to collect unemployment for a considerable amount of time. Perhaps those companies proving that off-shored employees are less expensive than U.S. workers could be given the difference so that the American employee still have their job and continue to pay taxes and help buy things in America.

March 3, 2010 at 6:42 pm |
  178. James Fraley

I think that the government needs to stop benefits when it returns the jobs that have left the United States because of failed policies. I do not believe that the jobs will come back unless people stand up for their rights and make sure that this is not another lie to Americans that want to work. I hope the people open up their eyes and research where the jobs went. What happened? I know what happened because its in black and white. Bush sold out Americans and now is the time to take back what is rightfully ours. Americans want to work and if the government wants to give jobs away then they should have to compensate the American worker. Unemployment benefits stops when jobs return. No more broken promises.

March 3, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
  179. Bruce - Delaware

Maybe when the benefit instructions are written in Chinese – as the missile and nuclear technology we gave them is returned vial air mail.

March 3, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
  180. John

John, Michigan

March 3, 2010 at 6:44 pm |
  181. Bill Davis

I am currently collecting jobless benefits but contrary to what you may think, I think these benefits should stop and stop now. Our economy (LOL) just can't take it. BTW, thanks Pelosi for helping to drive a stake into our health care and political systems in general.

March 3, 2010 at 6:44 pm |
  182. Teri in Palm Coast

When they stop US corporations from off-shoring our jobs.

Take the money the lobbyists are throwing at their campaigns and use it for the unemployment fund shortages, or better yet, give themselves a 20% reduction in their paychecks until employers start hiring again.

March 3, 2010 at 6:44 pm |
  183. Carl

Time to stop handing money out is now. People I know are not looking for work here in PA. Why should they with this easy money and health care. I wont look for work either.
    When I was laid off I only got 26 weeks and no help for health care. I just went out and got a new job sure at that time the money was less but I got a job.

March 3, 2010 at 6:44 pm |
  184. Don Polkinghorn

The middle class is suffering...how many more punches can we take? Now is not the time for political manuevering to better your chances next November. The more I hear the political BS the more I realize that they do not represent our interests, they represent their own self interests.

I once thought that our Congressman represented our interests as a whole. It is becoming more obvious that the special interests and self preservation have become priority number one. Its a sad day when we became the puppets of heartless masters.

March 3, 2010 at 6:45 pm |
  185. Pat

Depends. If it can be proven that a person is applying for jobs they qualify for, then should be able to get an extension. To keep extending this to all is wrong. It is a free hand out. To many today think they are entitled to what they want for free.

March 3, 2010 at 6:45 pm |
  186. Layne Alleman

Jack, Unfortunately, this burden is going to fall on the already-cash-strapped states. They are the ones who will have to review each case individually to assess each applicants status. Yes, there are going to be mistakes and fraud. There already is and always will be. Ultimately, the Feds aren't going to be able keep printing this fiat currency. At that point, it'll be game over for any kind of programs. I thank God-our-Savior that Wall Street got theirs first, so they can all bail us out when we have to ask for a bail-out. Layne A. Antioch, Il.

March 3, 2010 at 6:45 pm |
  187. Miles Payson, AZ

Jack...

Granted NO ONE Pays into unemployment "funds, "employers do" for the initial 16 weeks paid by the State...

I'd like to see those that "complain" live on an unemployment income income.

Miles
    Payson, AZ

March 3, 2010 at 6:46 pm |
  188. Jon S.Pridham

Jack
    I can't you are asking this. Benefits should continue until the job market offers more then just service jobs, or should I say high school jobs not ment to pay a living wage. I think we all know there will always be the few who how wont work and live off the labor of others but they are not the only ones who are out of work now. There are plenty of workers out there now, who want a chance to get back to work. and if we can give money to Irac, Afganastan by God we can send money to the workers of this country.

Jon S.Pridham
    Kittery, ME

March 3, 2010 at 6:46 pm |
  189. Winston Chrlotte NC

When the state and federal unemployment rates fall into acceptable range. Until then, people need to live.

March 3, 2010 at 6:47 pm |
  190. Matt R. from TX

Jack,
    Jobless benefits means the government fully believes you don't have enough personal responsibility to save your money for that proverbial "rainy day". Everyone should have a minimum of 6 months of income–preferably a whole year's worth–saved away. But actions like these, the bailouts, the government paying for healthcare...there is no longer any reason for me as an individual to take care of myself. Because if I do, I'll not only pay for myself, but also for every yahoo who couldn't plan ahead. I see a lot of comments saying the checks should stop when there are enough jobs. But let's say all the jobs move away and no one is working: where does the money come from? The government (when it doesn't borrow or print) is using taxpayer money. If there are no incomes, there can't be taxes, and there can't be jobless benefits. We are stealing from our own pockets. Time for every person to be responsible for themself.

March 3, 2010 at 6:48 pm |
  191. Gary / Phx Az

In Arizona the top pay for unemployment is $240.00 per week and that is making too much to include food stamps. I made $62,000.00 a year until lay off 6 months ago Jack. There are no jobs hear in AZ.....Yet

$240 per week is Hardly an INCENTIVE to stay on UNEMPLOYMENT.
    Gary.............Phx, Az
    PS: John Kyl and John McCain are both voted out from this unemployed VOTER

March 3, 2010 at 6:48 pm |
  192. Brandon

There are multiple economic research studies that have shown increasing the length of benefits decreases the incentive to work. Let's be clear, there is definintely a legitament need for some of the benefits while on the other hand there is abuse to the system. The government should do all it can to help the private sector create jobs. This would include tax breaks and/or incentives.

March 3, 2010 at 6:49 pm |
  193. Manny in Phoenix

Our Federal government could stop unemployment benefits at any time-but just place the millions of unemployed in a job first. Short of that, take the interest allegedly paid back by everyone's favorite charity cases, the banks, and funnel that TARP interest directly back to an effective jobs program and unemployment benefits.It would also help to put this on a fast track too or is that completely out of the realm of reality in Washington, DC?

March 3, 2010 at 6:49 pm |
  194. keno, NJ

The federal government should not be providing unemployment benefits. Unemployment is a insurance program that should only be funded by the states. If the states need more money than ask the employees and employers to contribute more money and lower or ration benefits as needed. Why should 99% of the federal taxpayers have to fund benefits for unemployed workers. What the federal government is doing now is no differnet than welfare. Why not provide money to homeless people who are out in the street. The u.s. is 63 trillion dollars broke. What the federal government could do to solve the unemployment problem is to encourage working mothers to stay at home by providing them with tax credits instead of day care tax credits.

March 3, 2010 at 6:49 pm |
  195. gunny

When China says that there not paying anymore and those without a job will placed in forced labor camps.

March 3, 2010 at 6:52 pm |
  196. Bill Paustenbach

This is a tough one, Jack. I believe the vast majority of unemployed today certainly don't want to be that way and truly need help...but there are those that would take advantage...for as long as they could, in order to avoid work. So, for how long, you ask? It doesn't look like jobs are going to bounce back very soon. Companies have learned to do more with less and demand more of the employees they have retained. I suppose the answer is to make sure the unemployed are looking for jobs and/or are being cross-trained in order to score a job as soon as possible. Maybe wean them off the government checks, making them harder to get the longer they are collected. Of course, that only means more government jobs to those administering this program. And the last thing this country needs is more government employees. Very, very tough.

March 3, 2010 at 6:52 pm |
  197. Deb Ohio

They should stop unemployment benefits when we stop spending all of our tax dollars on war profiteering. Very rarely do I read the real reason that our country is broke. Although I would like to blame Wall Street as much as the next person, it's the military that keeps us broke. Rebuilding Iraq, an oil-rich country, military bases in God knows how many countries, planes and bombs and guns, baby. That's where all our money goes. Orwell was right about the future. Any country that spends half of its tax money on wars and killing is bound to falter sooner or later. Looks like sooner to me.

March 3, 2010 at 6:53 pm |
  198. RickFromDetroit

Jack,
    Since the money for unemployment is coming from the tax payers, they should stop making payments at the same time they stop paying elected officials, government employees, and government contractors.

March 3, 2010 at 6:53 pm |
  199. Banned in Hartwell GA

At what time? I'd say after they stop handing out money to businesses that aren't creating jobs for Americans in America, stop giving tax breaks to businesses that aren't creating jobs for Americans in America, stop tax loopholes for the rich, stop earmarks that don't create jobs for Americans in America, stop paying "gentleman" farmers for not farming, stop giving states money for feel-good projects, stop giving money for renovating old buildings just because they're old...
    I think you get the point.

March 3, 2010 at 6:53 pm |
  200. Bo Ohio

you don't live off of unemployment. if your lucky you can pay bill collectorsjust enough that they don't take your house, car or heat. of all things government blows money on, paying people who actually work when they can't find a job is not a bad thing.

March 3, 2010 at 6:56 pm |
  201. Monique

They should stop extending unemployment beneftis when they stop giving pension payments to elected officials that have been convicted of crimes and sitting in jails but they cut off disabled people from social security payments if they are convicted of the same crimes; and when they stop bailing out their banking buddies on Wall Street!

March 3, 2010 at 6:56 pm |
  202. Linda in Florida

Thankfully, I have a job and have never had to collect unemployment. I think FL pays a whopping $250 a week, so if you think people are loving being unemployed and living the Life of Riley on $250 a week, think again!

March 3, 2010 at 6:57 pm |
  203. lynn fron york pa

millions to the banks and i get 181.00 dollars a week . repulicans should try to live off of that. i put right back into the economy every time i go to the grocery store

March 3, 2010 at 6:57 pm |
  204. Barb S

I think they need to look at the ones that are collecting weeks of benefits and have not worked as long. If they get laid off after working 6 weeks for example, they should only qualify for 6 weeks. They also should clarify collecting benefits and working part time as well. The ones that have worked part time to help ends meet, should not be penalized and have new claims opened. They really need to focus on getting jobs back here and heavily tax the companies that outsource or manufacture goods out of the country.

March 3, 2010 at 6:59 pm |
  205. jfc1

...seriously 6 months is too long. 12 months is ridiculous.

After more than a couple of months it ends up being just a government subsidy for people who don't work. Not to mention that if you DO work the income that you earn can knock you off the UI rolls.

For many, the only reason they would actually quit UI voluntarily are that they get jobs paying twice what they can make on UI, at least, and short of that they are thrown off the UI rolls when their funds run out anyway. Unless Uncle Sam steps in and extends their benefits another 6 months. Then of course Congress makes that decision but the states have to actually foot the bill, so we end up bankrupting the states to pay a bill generated by Congress that they don't pay for.

March 3, 2010 at 7:00 pm |