March 3rd, 2010

Would you rat out a tax cheat for $?

ALT TEXT

(PHOTO CREDIT: SAUL LOEB/AFP/GETTY IMAGES)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

If you know someone cheating on their taxes - and chances are you do… there may be a buck or two in it for you.

Under the Internal Revenue Service's Informant Program, you could receive up to 15 percent of the amount that's been underpaid... with a maximum award of $10 million.

Informants have to complete a claim and send it to the IRS. Informants' names aren't made public, even though they have to reveal their identity to the IRS. They also have to give a lot of detailed information about the tax cheat - including the person's social security number, address and date of birth.

In the last few years, the IRS has also started cracking down on big-time cheaters with a new whistle-blower program... which has turned up lots of tips.

It's believed the most common informants are dissatisfied middle-ranking employees in big companies. They may feel frustrated about not advancing so they turn in co-workers or bosses. Although one tax expert points out there's likely a real mix of informants - including those looking for revenge and turning in their former spouse or boss.

People snitch for various reasons, including of course the big financial payoff. Some also feel angry about others being above the law and getting away with it or feel morally obligated to turn in cheaters.

Some factors that turn people away from reporting cheats: The exhaustive amount of information required along with fear of retaliation.

But with tax season right around the corner...

Here’s my question to you: Would you rat out a tax cheat to make money?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Rob writes:
This country is sounding more like pre-war Germany… Let's have brother turn on brother. Yes, America, you too could be a nice political policeman. Save the country and turn in that rotten next-door neighbor who makes $200,000 a year when you only make $50,000. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this how class wars start?

Chandra writes:
No, given the current administration's track record for hiring responsible tax-paying citizens, I refuse to waste my time helping them find anyone else who isn't paying theirs.

Nick in San Diego writes:
Not a small-timer in the middle class, but a heavy-hitter… Yep, in a New York minute.

James in Kinston, North Carolina writes:
Rat out a tax cheat to make money? No, Jack, I would not! I love my mother.

Linda writes:
Geithner, Rangel, etc. Where do I collect my payment?

Greg writes:
Thanks for the tip, Jack. I didn't know such a program existed, but I will look it up as I expect to report an ex-spouse I told you about a couple of days ago.

Barb writes:
Why bother? It's probably taxable.

Arthur writes:
Not a chance.

Agnes in California writes:
Absolutely not! I grew up behind the "Iron Curtain" where snitching on your neighbors to the state was a daily routine. This is as immoral as one can get... And you know what? In a corrupt system like that, you never know when it's YOU who the government will go after.

Denis in Pennsylvania writes:
You're safe, Jack. I won't say a word.

Filed under: Taxes
  1. James in Edinboro

One major step closer to a police state, where government not only encourages but rewards citizens to turn in other citizens no matter how specious the allegation. And here we thought McCarthyism was over.

March 2, 2010 at 7:07 pm |
  2. Lisa

You bet I would...we paid over $16,000 to the IRS alone this year. Why should we pay so much while someone else cheats the system? I am sick of paying for the breeders, scammers, financial illiterates and everyone else in this country who thinks everyone should pay taxes except for them.

March 2, 2010 at 7:07 pm |
  3. ComplexNumbers

Sure I would.
    Let me start now.
    Anyone that makes over 1 Million a year is a tax cheat and have been since Ron "trickle down" Reagan made tax avoidance a religion.

March 2, 2010 at 7:08 pm |
  4. andy

I pay mine so others won't have to work so everyone should pay theirs The cheaters should all go to jail.

March 2, 2010 at 7:09 pm |
  5. Alex in Gig Harbor

In a heartbeat.

March 2, 2010 at 7:09 pm |
  6. Joe Gallagher

Hopefully not a lot of people would turn in their acquaintences; half the country would end up in tax court.

March 2, 2010 at 7:10 pm |
  7. Gigi Oregon

Thanks for the warning I was about to rat on my x son-n-law until I read your line on retaliation. This guy would sell his mother for a dime and it won't even buy a cup of coffee these days.

March 2, 2010 at 7:10 pm |
  8. aroth

Absolutely not. The government takes too much of everyone's money already. I'm not about to help them do it, or fault someone else for trying to hold on to their cash, even if I could personally profit from doing so.

March 2, 2010 at 7:11 pm |
  9. Paul Rienzo

I would not rat someone out for money. I would do it for free. I won't call it 'ratting' on someone either. The person who steals from the system honest people work and pay-into all their lives are the real rats.

March 2, 2010 at 7:11 pm |
  10. Tony in The Bronx

I certainly would! In fact, I did it once. I didn't get a reward–but the sense of revenge was reward enough. I pay my taxes. My fellow citizens should do the same–especially if they irritate the hell out of me.

March 2, 2010 at 7:12 pm |
  11. hlb71310

YES, I absolutely would rat out a cheater!

March 2, 2010 at 7:12 pm |
  12. larry

Well that depends on who the tax cheat is. In some cases I would want to be paid, in others I would do it for free. If it was a friend, I would do it for money. If it was one of those loudmouth teabaggers, I would do it for free.

March 2, 2010 at 7:12 pm |
  13. Sam

For money? In a heartbeat.

March 2, 2010 at 7:12 pm |
  14. Andrew

Jack, I would never, ever rat someone out. If they want to cheat the system, it's their business, and none of my own.

Oh, wait! Did someone say the "M" word: money? That changes everything!

March 2, 2010 at 7:12 pm |
  15. Bob in Kansas City

It depends on how much the offender was scamming from the IRS, a millionare sure I'd turn him/her in...why not, they probably screwed some poor and middle class people to accumulate part of their fortune...just call it "what goes around comes around"..

March 2, 2010 at 7:15 pm |
  16. Derrick

Yes, I definitely would. Too often, does these large corporations benefit from loopholes, tax shelters, etc., to avoid paying their fair share of taxes. Yet they continue to reap the benefits and tax cuts that Congress have spoiled them with.

March 2, 2010 at 7:15 pm |
  17. Tom

I do and have. Everything from a local business paying its employees in cash, to a vet who is cooking the books, to a farmer who is refusing to file. We honest tax payers are having to pay (double) for what the law-breakers refuse to. I consider it a citizen's obligation.

March 2, 2010 at 7:15 pm |
  18. SNAPPA

What, are we living in the Soviet Union? ABSOLUTLEY NOT!! When did America start asking its citizens to spy on other citizens? I say abolish the IRS and stop all this foolishness in Washington..

March 2, 2010 at 7:15 pm |
  19. KC from Kona, Hawaii

Yes I would turn in a tax cheat, not necessarily to get the reward, but to ensure that everyone pays their fair share of taxes. I am tired of cheaters, I honestly pay my fair share of income taxes and I believe that everyone should do the same.

March 2, 2010 at 7:16 pm |
  20. Tosser

No. And I would suggest rounding up the informant rats and exterminating them.

March 2, 2010 at 7:16 pm |
  21. Matt from NoVA

Jack,

Heck yes i'd turn in tax cheats, but the IRS can keep the money. In current times everyone needs to pay their part in getting this country back on its feet. Cheeting on your taxes is cheating your neighbors and family members in the long run. I may not turn in Immediate Family members but I would definately get in their ears about it as often as possible. Regardless of what you think about taxes or your political stance, laws are laws; You have a problem, vote someone else into office to change them.

March 2, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  22. jb

I sure would...and I wouldn't blink an eye. I'm a tax paying citizen and I have to pay more because of those who get paid under the table or don't report accurately...why should my hard earned dollars go for their greed?

March 2, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  23. Karen

March 2, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  24. John, Minneapolis

Only if they are from the Obama Administration.

March 2, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  25. Alex

Absolutely. That's our civic duty.

March 2, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
  26. Darrin

So wait a minute... they want people to obtain someone else's SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER – which could count as identity theft – in order to report Tax Fraud? Nobody finds a problem with this?

On-topic though, I wouldn't rat out a tax cheat to make MONEY... I'd do it because they're BREAKING THE LAW.

March 2, 2010 at 7:22 pm |
  27. Shelley from VA

I have wanted to turn in a relative in the past, but didn't. He owned his own business and did a lot, if not all, of it in cash and didnt pay any taxes as far as I know. Why should the rest of us have to make up a tax cheat's share. The reason I didn't, he was an in-law and I didn't want the trouble.

March 2, 2010 at 7:22 pm |
  28. Ron Reinknecht

I would not turn in a tax violator for the money, but I would donate any financial gains to assist recent wounded veterans and their families. To accept money would be like being another Benedict Arnold. Bring back Ameican patriotism.

March 2, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  29. Suneel Viralam

Jack,
    Compensation for ratting out tax cheats is completely ironic. It's capitalism at its worst. I'd rather rat out somebody for no compensation rather than a buck or two, so I could at least feel good about it.

March 2, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  30. runswithbeer

If it was Exxon , hell yes....

March 2, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  31. Takara

It it was family, no. Anyone else is fair game.

March 2, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  32. Karen

My husband and I are both self employed and pay every dime we are supposed to so yes, I would turn in a tax cheat in a heart beat. I have no problem with the IRS. As long as you pay your taxes they don't bother you. As for the money, I wouldn't take it. We live in San Antonio, Texas

March 2, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  33. JW

I work overseas in a tax free area as a contractor. We have to keep track of our days spent back in the US or we suffer the wrath of the IRS. Knowing this I have seen plenty of people go over their days and get away with it. So I can see why some people would get upset or feel obligated to report people to the IRS.

March 2, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  34. Jim McNish

What if you do not want to do it for the money? What if you just want to give the neighborhood busybody (aka pain in the butt) some payback? My neighbor claims that she makes over 2000 dollars a month selling on ebay, but says that she doesn't have to pay taxes. Also, how is a person supposed to get others social security number and date of birth?

March 2, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  35. Izzy

This topic is quite timely considering that I plan on turning in a tax cheat. The man is a slumlord, who has made my life miserable for the past year that I've rented from him. He is abusive and a bully. When my lease ended and I tried to move out, he told the leasing agent that I was a bad tennant who trashed the place. He also, claimed that I signed a new lease with him, which wasn't true.

He is now trying to cheat me out of my security deposit. As soon as I move out, I am turning him in.

March 2, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  36. Bruce Marshall

Only if they are a Politician or a CEO

March 2, 2010 at 7:26 pm |
  37. rosemarie Oregon

No one wants to be a Rat. So, I say it depends on the situation. So don't force my hand. Because I'm not afraid to give up the goods on you.

March 2, 2010 at 7:26 pm |
  38. Jon Suite

Heck, I'll rat them out for free... why should I pay more in taxes because someone else doesn't feel like paying them?

March 2, 2010 at 7:28 pm |
  39. andrew

i'd rat out a tax cheat for free!

don't tread on me. waka waka waka!

March 2, 2010 at 7:28 pm |
  40. Karen (Virginia Beach, Virginia)

Been there, done that. Of course this was before the IRS started paying for information. Felt good to find out that they went to jail and had to pay a fine.

March 2, 2010 at 7:28 pm |
  41. Jeff K

No...the government is just going to misuse the money anyway!

March 2, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
  42. Nick San Diego

Not a small timer in the middle class, but a heavy hitter......Yep in a New York heartbeat.

March 2, 2010 at 7:32 pm |
  43. Michael Roepke - Dallas, TX

In this economy there is very little I wouldn't do for money. I might even take one of those illegal alien jobs.

March 2, 2010 at 7:33 pm |
  44. olu

Hi Jack,

Would I rat out a tax cheater for money? Absolutely Not! I believe in moi and moi only, so what goes on between you and your government is none in my business but yours. I filed my tax every year although I don't get that much in return when some of my friends boast on how much they got back but then I careless because I am afraid of Uncle Sam, see what they did to people like Ed big man and Rex Foxx both lost all that they have and I promise to always live within my means no matter what. I believe the cheaters will be cut one day and I hope its not too late for some of them to pay their fare share.

March 2, 2010 at 7:34 pm |
  45. JD

No, I would not rat out a tax cheat solely for money. Perhaps for money and vengeance, but not just for money.

March 2, 2010 at 7:36 pm |
  46. Sue From Idaho

Nope, when you are pointing a finger at someone there are three more pointing back at you.

March 2, 2010 at 7:37 pm |
  47. Steve

I would certainly "rat out" the folks with big bank accounts at UBS in Switzerland, who are illegally avoiding taxes. They are folks who benefit from the US system and infrastructure, but dont want to pay for it. Creeps.

March 2, 2010 at 7:38 pm |
  48. DIck

Of course I'd rat out a tax cheat. I'll start with Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner and then move on to Congressman Charles Rangel.

March 2, 2010 at 7:39 pm |
  49. C. M. Dozier

In a heart beat...

March 2, 2010 at 7:39 pm |
  50. Tim

Yes, and I have, yet Marrakesh Restaurant in DC is still doing business.

March 2, 2010 at 7:39 pm |
  51. Frank Brindel - Atlantic City

No Jack, I don't like the idea of paying taxes myself. I know this country was founded because of a tax revolt, and I believe we need one now.

March 2, 2010 at 7:40 pm |
  52. Nick

ABSOLUTELY. I'd rat out a tax cheat without a reward just for the principle of it, but a cash reward would make me even more eager to call the IRS.

March 2, 2010 at 7:41 pm |
  53. TamarS

I am tempted to but I cannot do it to a friend. For a business, bank, real estate, yes – but an individual no. They'll get caught in other ways.

March 2, 2010 at 7:41 pm |
  54. Heather

Yes I would turn in ANY tax cheat. We all pay alot of taxes in this country and for anyone, whether it is an individual or a large company, to cheat is beyond ridiculous. I mean, wouldn't anyone turn in a cheater if they knew about it? The problem as I see it is that people have no morals or values anymore. It's very sad

Heather

Great Falls, Montana.

March 2, 2010 at 7:43 pm |
  55. pkb

Jack – I don't believe your info is correct regarding giving your name and the SSN of the person being squealed on as well as an exhaustive amount of info. This is not how the IRS website describes the information required.

March 2, 2010 at 7:43 pm |
  56. ceg3

Does that include all the people on fraudently obtained Medicaid and other entitlements since they are cheating taxpayers who do pay money? How about some audits of entitlement programs???? Oh sorry, not politically correct (:

March 2, 2010 at 7:43 pm |
  57. Karin D.

If there is one thing I have learned, what goes around comes around. If the tax payer cheats the IRS, someone else will cheat him/her.
    No, I would not sell out a friend or neighbor for any amount of money as that is not much better than prostitution in my books. I'll let the IRS do their own job!

March 2, 2010 at 7:46 pm |
  58. Jan - Lancaster, PA

Think it is time the IRS went after people who don't pay taxes and to enforce penalties equitably. Those ads that run offering to get people out of paying taxes that they never paid when the rest of us have been following the law REALLY gripe me. If you owe it you should have to pay it. If someone knows of someone who is violating the law, it is their duty to report it and should not have an expectation of a reward.
    No ... there should be no reward. The country can't afford it.

March 2, 2010 at 7:46 pm |
  59. Scot

Sounds like a "dog the bounter hunter" episode. People tattle and the irs hunts you down. America the great a nation of tattle tales.

March 2, 2010 at 7:47 pm |
  60. Bryan

No one with a shred of honor would inform on someone for money or because they're feeling sour grapes over another person getting away with cheating. Lawrence, Kansas.

March 2, 2010 at 7:47 pm |
  61. Lynn

I find myself in this very situation. I took a job in the office of an attorney who disclosed to me that he has failed to file a tax return for the past several years. As a result of this information coupled with other very unscrupulous actions, I parted ways with the attorney. I have been deliberating on whether or not I should turn him in. I have to admit that the prospect of being compensated for the risk involved turning someone in is motivating.

March 2, 2010 at 7:48 pm |
  62. Lisa Hedelson

I would most likely turn in a tax cheat – mostly for the money incentive. Otherwise, why go through the hassle?

March 2, 2010 at 7:48 pm |
  63. Matt C

I most definitely would. They are effectively committing treason against their communities, and it hurts everyone around them.

Anyone who would be so selfish deserves to be caught.

Matt
    Columbus, Ohio

March 2, 2010 at 7:48 pm |
  64. Gordon

Jack, I sure would turn someone in to any tax dept ; and I would do it as my duty,forget about the money.

March 2, 2010 at 7:49 pm |
  65. Tom W.

I'd turn in a tax cheat for free! Why should I get reamed every April 15th while others enjoy the same benefits of citizenship that I do while paying nothing? A thief is a thief and they should ALL be severely punished.

March 2, 2010 at 7:49 pm |
  66. Jim in St. Louis, Mo

No...not for the money but I'd be tempted to do it because if I and everyone else has to pay taxs, well you get the idea.

Now to be fair, I honestly don't personally know of anyone cheating on their tax's. But if I was really aware of someone, especially someone who was, shall we say upper upper class and they were bragging about outsmarting the IRS, well then they'd be fair game for the IRS.

March 2, 2010 at 7:52 pm |
  67. Ken Keeton

It would depend on whether that person was rich or not. If the person was poor, then no way... if the person was rich, then absolutely. The wealthier people of our country need to step up and pay their share.

March 2, 2010 at 7:52 pm |
  68. Steevn

Oh yes I would! As far as I'm concerned, I pay my taxes and I am honest about them. If someone else is not, it's their fault if they get in trouble and I don't feel sorry for them. Maybe if everyone actually PAID their taxes, maybe the middle class wouldn't be supporting everyone! I'm just sayin...

March 2, 2010 at 7:54 pm |
  69. Fred in Los Angeles

Sorry I'm not a rat. Besides the Feds are busy cheating us by hiding debt.

March 2, 2010 at 7:54 pm |
  70. Brad

anyone who wants to rat out others are naive ignorant liberals. ya, lets worry about poor and middle class people who struggle, but because they took advantage of the government for 500 dollars or 5000, should go to jail. God forbid PEOPLE rip off the government for a change, a government who has ripped off hundreds of millions of people hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars just over the last 2 years.

and if you think rich people are gonna get caught, your fooling yourselves.

March 2, 2010 at 7:55 pm |
  71. raj

if govt can cheat people through higher taxes for their political gain spending then i think it's time to stop paying taxes. Govt is stealing what ever they can steal from future gen. They are also cheating through monetizing debt via FED.

March 2, 2010 at 7:55 pm |
  72. Bill (Los Angeles, CA)

Would I rat out a tax cheat?

Why?

When government spending is well over what it should be; when we will be running trillion dollar deficits for the next few years; when government workers have an effective 0% unemployment rate compared to 18% nationwide (let's not kid ourselves, the 10% number doesn't count the true effects of underemployment); when pork spending by both federal and state governments is still running rampant; when the government can't treat money like you and I are forced to treat it (I could go on, but I think you get my point)....

Not just will I not report a tax cheat, I will cheer and encourage any person I see who is doing so.

March 2, 2010 at 7:55 pm |
  73. GT

Absolutely not.

We are so very close to having the old Soviet Russia and KGB (or Nazi) society it's scary.

March 2, 2010 at 7:55 pm |
  74. William

I would not turn someone in. However, the IRS should take a good look at all the people that claim Farm Income in Hampshire County, WV. Most of these people have a tractor and a pig and claim they are doing it for profit. What these people don't know about is the Hobby Farm Loss rules, and how it can come back on them if they ever get audited.

March 2, 2010 at 7:56 pm |
  75. charlie

Are you kidding me? I would do the opposite. Perhaps after doing the math I could approach the individual that I would be telling on and he will offer me a bigger percentage. Todays economy. You do what it takes, right?

March 2, 2010 at 7:56 pm |
  76. Peter Wolfe

I would turn in my boss or fellow coworker if they hired illegal immigrants or underaged workers. Another thing I would do is to turn in people who go against decent working conditions and if it's a systemic problem and constant year round without paying back the much owed money to the IRS.

March 2, 2010 at 7:57 pm |
  77. Not Cheating in CA

Yes – without hesitation – but afraid to give my name. I pay the maximum amount. My home is paid for. I'm single. But, I'm tired of everyone else getting the tax breaks or inventing them. Go ahead and brag about how much you are saving – all the way to fines and jail. I don't have much, but I sleep well.

March 2, 2010 at 7:57 pm |
  78. j.d.

Absolutely not. We all know the IRS is a bunch of punks, so why give into them, or give people up to them.

March 2, 2010 at 7:58 pm |
  79. audrey - East Tennessee

So...how does someone get someone's SSN if you are a disgruntled coworker? This is not information that is openly shared, especially in times when identity theft runs rampant.

The IRS should rethink their requirements first and not let the rest of the world do their detective work

March 2, 2010 at 7:58 pm |
  80. Dominick

Heck Yeah! In fact, I've snitched out several people using this program. You are right about motivation, some of them I ratted out for revenge, others because I was jealous they were making so much money and getting over on the system, but all of it was done for profit. It takes a while to receive the reward, but the hell you put the person through is reward unto itself! The IRS is the most ruthless, pitiless federal agency there is, they'll strip you naked for every last nickel.

March 2, 2010 at 7:59 pm |
  81. Eric Jensen

From GLORIOUS Lafayette, CO.

I would rat out anyone in a minute. I think what I have to pay is unfair to this pork-barrel welfare state we all support, so anyone not paying is a HUGE problem for me. I would give them anyone up to and including my immediate family.

I know someone who ran a cash business for years, seemingly had plenty of money, but filed making $11000 for years. The problem is that there is no way I could ever get his social security number, and since most people guard that to a decent degree, WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS STUPID PROGRAM?!!!!!!

Nice job, yet again, federal government. Isn't Grover Norquist supposed to be fixing this sometime in my life? PLEASE!!!!!

March 2, 2010 at 7:59 pm |
  82. Mike Webb

I would,...but not for the money.

March 2, 2010 at 8:00 pm |
  83. Paul In Dallas, TX

I don't need money just principle. I pay my taxes why can't everybody else.

March 2, 2010 at 8:00 pm |
  84. Texasgirl

I actually called about the program to turn someone in because my business neighbor has had investigators looking for them & have several shady things going on. The IRS rep said you don't have to give all of the info-only if you have it & your personal info only if you want. I declined to do anything but did consider it because of the moral issue-if I have to pay-so must he.

March 2, 2010 at 8:01 pm |
  85. David

nope

March 2, 2010 at 8:01 pm |
  86. Moby, Detroit, MI

Jack, for me it depends on the cheater. Tell me he is an investment banker and down he goes. But if he is a middle class slub, not a chance.

March 2, 2010 at 8:02 pm |
  87. Alex in Wisconsin

Of course i would rat out tax cheats, and i would start off with the Washington politicians and Wall Street bankers. The money they save by cheating the tax system would pay off student loans and still have enough to start a small business. Plus these people need to know that crime doesn't pay.

March 2, 2010 at 8:02 pm |
  88. Richard McKinney, Texas

Hell No. I would do it for free. If I have to pay taxes so should they. By the way Jack I think your theory about the IRS cracking down on big cheats is not entirely true. Half the Obama cabinet didn't pay their taxes and they don't get any bigger then that. Even after getting caught they were not made to pay penalties either. Had that been you or I they would have strung us up and taken everything we ever owned.

March 2, 2010 at 8:02 pm |
  89. Marshall

If it weren't for the excessive amount of information required I would head down to Wall Street right now and become America's newest multimillionaire.

March 2, 2010 at 8:04 pm |
  90. Nathan LaRose

Yes, the US Government as a whole is a tax cheat.

Nate, Alaska

March 2, 2010 at 8:04 pm |
  91. prague2

I am in disbelief at this question. My parents escaped communist Czechoslovakia precisely because neighbors, friends, co-workers, family members, etc. "ratted" other people out.
    What is this country turning into? Why does the government want to instill paranoia into people by encouraging them to "rat" someone out? You now have to watch your back everywhere you go, with everything you do. There are cameras everywhere, Obama just signed the Patriot Act back to life, there are signs on highways encouraging people to "report any suspicious activity", and now this?
    The USA was once a great country to live in, but that is long gone. Today it is a police state suspicious of its own people and slowly turning them against each other, a communist state encouraging you to rat someone out and giving you a reward for it in cash. Cash is great today because no one has it anymore! I feel so bad for the younger generations to have to go through this, I feel bad that the USA thinks communism was a good thing and is starting to live by its principles...principles that made everyone suspicious of the next person. Good job government...good job, thank you.

March 2, 2010 at 8:05 pm |
  92. JasonLA

It all depends how much money we are talking about, if it is a lot then definitively yes.

JasonLA / Westlake Village, CA

March 2, 2010 at 8:05 pm |
  93. atlanta

only if it was someone like obama or his tax cheat team of cronies

March 2, 2010 at 8:06 pm |
  94. riley oday

I have reported a tax cheat, but not for the money. They should pay what the law says.

March 2, 2010 at 8:06 pm |
  95. Bruce - Delaware

Never. Watch Aaron Russo's America to Fascism video and you will never sympathize with the Federal crime family.

March 2, 2010 at 8:07 pm |
  96. Lloyd Roberts

Only if it was a sleaze ball politician doing the tax cheating or a Wall Street Banker piece of sewage who makes a lot more money than me via corporate welfare. But Jack, since I only try to associate with hard working, decent Americans, there's no politicians or Wall Streeting thieves that I know. So I guess I won't be turning anyone in.
    Lloyd Roberts,
    Jamaica, NY

March 2, 2010 at 8:07 pm |
  97. Terry Combs

From East Texas. The answer as simple as I can state. Probably yes for the richer, " got it made ", folks, and no for the struggling poor folks. The same as I would not turn in a homeless man that was obviously hungry and down on his luck, for stealing a package of bologna at a supermarket. But would turn in a shoplifter that appeared to be doing it for kicks and thrills, or simple greed. I guess in short, my own personal observation of the IRS tax cheat suspect in question, and my own judgement as to real need or greed.

March 2, 2010 at 8:07 pm |
  98. James Andrews

Absolutely! I'm a patriot and I love this country! I am proud to pay my fair share, and I have little sympathy for anybody who shares in the greatness of this country and doesn't share in the sacrifice.

March 2, 2010 at 8:08 pm |
  99. Danny R

Believe it or not i read this article this morning and thought to myself, Wow times are tough and what better way to help my family with ratting out the bosses that thought they were slick, getting away with 1031 tax exchanges, yachts, luxurious travels and not having to pay taxes becasue they wanted it that way. A couple of years ago i worked for a company (privately owned) that is still in the mortgage business and i was thier controller. For five years i managed thier tax exchanges, funneled money into dummy business to make them look legit and they did not pay a dime in taxes, moved funds from one comany to another to avoid paying taxes. Paid the owners under tables or hard cash and dummied the books to make it look legit for the IRS.
    I think now that everyone is starting to hear that there is a incentive if you rat a company or individual out, they will do. Let me tell you something... I have pulled out the hardrive and starting the paperwork to Rat them out. Makes me laugh; this saying will always rule "Cash is King no matter what" LOL.
    Beware old bosses the skeletons are starting to come out of the closet and your next in line.... muuuuuahahahahahhahahaha.

Dan R.
    San Diego, Ca

March 2, 2010 at 8:11 pm |
  100. John

I already have.

March 2, 2010 at 8:12 pm |
  101. Lisa C.

Sure I would.

If the government would spend more time catching the people who wrongly collect state health insurance when they don't need it and food stamps who don't need it, there would be so much money put back into the government that we'd probably be out of the red!

March 2, 2010 at 8:12 pm |
  102. Dan Chandler, AZ

I doubt it. the requirement to know the person's social security number and date of birth would make it very difficult.

March 2, 2010 at 8:13 pm |
  103. heffpa

Here's a question, Jack. Why are progressives tax cheats? Progressives (aka liberals) LOVE Big, Benevolent Brother. They are collectivists and strongly believe central power knows what's best, so why deny Uncle Sam? Progressives should actually overpay their taxes, to help bloat gov't even more. I would turn in any tax cheat... the person that espouses "rules are meant to be broken' philosophy is someone that should not be trusted. Run some stats and see who cheats more: registered Dems or Repubs or an even mix... the stats would be most interesting if published!

March 2, 2010 at 8:14 pm |
  104. Justin

I like it! Why should we pay higher taxes to supplement the cheaters!!!

March 2, 2010 at 8:14 pm |
  105. KitK

Definitely. A reward is enticing. But only if I could stay anonymous. If I feared retaliation by the tax cheat, I would keep quiet. You can't put a price on your safety....

March 2, 2010 at 8:14 pm |
  106. Eliza

I sure would. Many Americans work hard for their money and pay their taxes because that's one of the responsibilities of being a citizen of this country. If someone is cheating on their taxes it is simply not fair to the millions of Americans who do. The financial reward for turning in a tax cheat would only sweeten the deal!

Eliza
    Lewiston, Maine

March 2, 2010 at 8:16 pm |
  107. Annie, Atlanta

Absolutely not! But I may consider it in the future if politicians stop taking bribes, apparently legal for the ruling class, from corporate interests. Like that would actually happen.

March 2, 2010 at 8:17 pm |
  108. Martin

Yes I would. If someone else cheats on their taxes, that means those who don't cheat pay a little bit more.

Martin
    Pittsburgh, PA

March 2, 2010 at 8:17 pm |
  109. John

I would turn in a tax cheat in a heartbeat. In the end, tax cheats hurt the rest of us honest tax paying citizens as our taxes go up in order to compensate from the lost revenue due to tax cheats. I agree with being rewarded for turning in tax cheats, because honestly the amount of work involved in securing the information is time consuming.

March 2, 2010 at 8:17 pm |
  110. Boris

Ah yes! Old Soviet style system! Boris cannot wait for new American Stalin to find more ways to turn the citizens against each other!

March 2, 2010 at 8:18 pm |
  111. Michael Smith

All the goobers who write in to this question should get a grip on reality. To qualify for an IRS reward, an individual cheating taxpayer has to make over $200K per year for the IRS to even bother with the report. How many of you know anybody who makes that much?

March 2, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
  112. Matt

No- I would not rat anyone out for their taxes. I don't agree with cheating but I would not be the rat. The IRS has plenty of agents who do their jobs very well. I'll respect their skill and let fate shake it out.

March 2, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
  113. John-Smithfield, UT

Absolutely I would turn one in, but not for the reward....they can keep that to reduce the deficit. Tax cheats don't cheat the GOVERNMENT, they cheat each and every citizen that pays for Government with taxes.

March 2, 2010 at 8:23 pm |
  114. CM

Would you report a shoplifter?

March 2, 2010 at 8:49 pm |
  115. Reggie Felder

Cheating on your taxes is not a sin. The government's misuse of tax dollars is just as much of a crime as the person who's cheating on their taxes. I would never rat someone out for not letting the government steal from them.

March 2, 2010 at 8:50 pm |
  116. Jeff

Do you mean like all the corporations that set themselves up in the Cayman Islands to avoid taxes entirely while reaping all the benefits of doing business here? That's common knowledge and that loop hole still isn't closed.

March 2, 2010 at 8:56 pm |
  117. Shawn

This is a great idea. Whistle-blower programs have worked great for catching and reducing the people pumping oil overboard on ships. They help catch and reduce people that commit other crimes. It will work great for taxes too. The only problem may be getting the person's social security number but to answer your question, Yes I would!

Shawn
    Maine

March 2, 2010 at 8:56 pm |
  118. Socrates

I wouldn't report a tax cheat for a reward. I would do it because he/she is a tax cheat. I don't cheat my government and I can't stomach those that do.

March 2, 2010 at 8:56 pm |
  119. Tom

I guess selling your mother is par for the course these days. Lets' first start with politicians, they are the first cheats on the list and move down the line. Brown paper bag anyone!

March 2, 2010 at 9:01 pm |
  120. Stacy Montgomery

First I agree that this is one step closer to a police state. The Government encouraging neighbors turn in neighbors rings of Hitlers regime.
    Second, it depends on my "friends' situation. If they are one of the millions who lost everything because of Wall Street corruption, NO. But if they are one of the few at the top who have benefited from Wall Street corruption...Hell YES!

March 2, 2010 at 9:01 pm |
  121. The Narc!!!

Hell yeah....I'd rat out all the tax cheaters...I pay my taxes and others should too!! I do think the IRS should be replace by a National Sales tax...I should be taxed on what I spend...not on what I earn!!!

March 2, 2010 at 9:12 pm |
  122. jimmy watson

they have over 500 in Wash. D.C. we call them congress, just give my reward to breast cancer research

March 3, 2010 at 2:30 pm |
  123. pat in michigan

yes i would Charley Rangel . Now wheres my Check?

March 3, 2010 at 2:31 pm |
  124. Albert R. K. Los Anegles

Jack, if it were a corporation – yes I would rat on them! You have to admit though that this puts pressure on executives to set-up their employers with shady tax returns just so they can get a back-door bonus by turning in the corporation after the fact. Ah, why am I so skeptical that government and executives are in cahoots?

March 3, 2010 at 2:53 pm |
  125. MG Arizona

Tax is the government's right and the tax payers duty to pay it accurately on time however, If I know somebody else is cheating I would not try to make money out of it, I have got better things to do. However I would definitely tell the person that it is a bad bad thing to do.

March 3, 2010 at 3:01 pm |
  126. John from Alabama

Jack: The United States tax codes are volumes and volumes long. I would not turn someone in for money or because its the right thing to do. I live in a glass house, and people who live in a glass houses should not through stones. Every time you point your index finger there are three fingers pointing back at you, and another finger breaking its back to point. It is a very bad idea that will turn neighbor against neighbor, and friend against friend. This how the "Civil War" began.

March 3, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
  127. David Sisters OR

No–in Germnay under the Nazis the Gestapo actually had very few operatives, they relied on neighbors turning neighbors in, that's what this comes too close to.

March 3, 2010 at 3:23 pm |
  128. Pat from Gardiner, ME

You betcha. In fact I think someone should audit everyone who makes more then a million dollars a year. I used to know a bunch of them that cheated on their taxes. And yes, even without getting paid I dropped a dime on them. I have had employers offer to pay me more money to work "under the table". I wouldn't do it, and I turned them in.

March 3, 2010 at 3:46 pm |
  129. Steven in Fostoria, OH

You betcha I would Jack! And her name is Ohio State Senator Gillmore. She claims to be driving over 50 miles a day from Tiffin Ohio to Columbus when in reality her residence is in a columbus suburb where her 3 boys go to school. So far she's been reimbursed over $5000 in a state that is having budget problems. The ethics probe had no teeth and was a joke. The county where she claims she's residing in(Seneca) knows about it and the members of the local Republican Central Committee refuse to do anything about it....yet they complain like Limbaugh and Beck that Obama is ruining America. They complain about high taxes yet when their own state senator is cheating the system and writing off the use of her car on the 1040 form they turn a blind eye.

steven
    OH.

March 3, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
  130. Ryan- Galesburg, IL

Well, yes. But who would be left to filibuster the Democrats?

March 3, 2010 at 4:01 pm |
  131. Rory Murray

Jack,
    Sure! I'd even tell ICE where all of the Illegal Immigrants are...for FREE!
    Rory Murray
    San Bernardino, CA

March 3, 2010 at 4:04 pm |
  132. Cheryle from Canton, GA

DAMN RIGHT! I would turn a cheater in to the IRS in a New York minute but not for reward. I'm sick and tired of everyone's scam to get something for nothing. I don't like paying taxes anymore than anyone else but it is a requirement...I say, either everyone pays their share based on the tax codes or everyone pays nothing! If you are cheating on paying taxes you owe, you are a thief and should be treated like the criminal you are.

March 3, 2010 at 4:07 pm |
  133. JENNA

Would you rat out a tax cheat to make money?

What if you were wrong? Could you then be charged with defamation of character?

Jenna
    Roseville CA

March 3, 2010 at 4:13 pm |
  134. Gary in Pleasanton CA

No Jack I wouldn't because it wouldn't solve the problem. We need to simplify our tax system in order to eliminate most cheating opportunities and lower the burden of collection.

March 3, 2010 at 4:22 pm |
  135. Michael Alexandria, VA

No and especially not for revenge. An eye for an eye leaves the whole world half blind.

March 3, 2010 at 4:25 pm |
  136. Ron in Indiana

Of course not. Not one penny of collected income taxes go to pay down the national debt/deficit. 100% of collected income tax goes to pay the interest charged by the Federal Reserve Inc, a privately owned corporation (and who is not a part of the Government) who prints our money for us. The stock holders in the Federal Reserve Inc. are various millionaires and billionaires. Why give them someones hard earned money when they have plenty??

Matter of fact, if the Government took the job of printing money away from the Federal Reserve and created it's own money, there would be no need for an income tax.

I feel bad for the uninformed...

March 3, 2010 at 4:31 pm |
  137. Leslie

No. If it were just a middle class person or family because we are taxed enough. I think its time to take a real look at how the middle class is being over taxed. If you're single you are taxed than a married couple making the same income. They say that the richest of the citizens pay the majority of the taxes but they get to write the majority of that money of on their taxes. I do not know why a person that makes a million or more needs to get a refund and a person that makes 250k or less has to pay. This is just another example on how our direction is flawed and our government is broken.

March 3, 2010 at 4:35 pm |
  138. M & M

Do people really share that kind of information with their friends and family? If so, I can't imagine the conversations, "Hey neighbor, I cheated big time on my taxes this year, how about you?" No one I know has ever admitted to me that they cheat on their taxes, and I have a large extended, very close family.

March 3, 2010 at 4:35 pm |
  139. Larry, Ohio

Yes,Jack,in a heart beat, and while we are at it,could we throw all those lawyers who advertise on television how to beat the IRS, into prison!!!!!!!!!

March 3, 2010 at 4:36 pm |
  140. Ron in Indiana

You kidding me??? Timothy Geithner, the current United States Secretary of the Treasury cheated on his taxes, got away with it and was awarded the job of OVERSEEING THE US TREASURY!!! Put Geitner in prison for tax fraud and I will start turning people in.

March 3, 2010 at 4:36 pm |
  141. CRAIG R. MCNEES

tampa, fl most people now a days will not only sell their own mother for a buck, but will deliver too. i have always hated to pay my taxes because no matter how much we pay, our leaders will just misspend every nickel they can get their hands on. still, we all must pay something to keep our corrupt, incompetent government a float, so just what is that number to call any way mom always looked good in stripes?

March 3, 2010 at 4:39 pm |
  142. southerncousin

Interesting proposition, since most of the tax cheats are part of the Obmanation, Holder would probably not prosecute them and we would be stuck with another giveaway program to those who don't work and don't pay taxes already.

March 3, 2010 at 4:48 pm |
  143. Doug - Dallas, TX

You should change the question Jack. It's not about the money, it's about what's right. When someone cheats on their taxes we all end up paying for it. I don't know about you but right now I don't have any more to give.

March 3, 2010 at 4:48 pm |
  144. Darren - Detriot

Beoming a snitch for the IRS which many believe is an illegal branch of government. Interesting.

March 3, 2010 at 4:55 pm |
  145. Joe CE

I would no "rat out anyone" especially for money. I would certainly report any cheating – we can't afford the legal loopholes let alone cheating.

March 3, 2010 at 5:05 pm |
  146. Maria

I'd turn them in in a New York minute, but the reward should go to the city or state the person represents to help up make deficits.

Maria
    Brunswick,MD

March 3, 2010 at 5:09 pm |
  147. Peter, Tarrytown, N.Y.

Legal loopholes are not cheating. At worse it's gaming the system. Until those loopholes are fixed those that have the resources to hire the experts to exploit those holes will always have the advantage over the rest of us. The tax codes in this counrty desperately need fixing.

Simplify the tax code.
    How much did you earn. Prove how much you spent. Send us what's left over.

March 3, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  148. A. Smith, Oregon

There are few things that bring more satisfaction in life than turning in an abuse employer that is a tax cheat to the IRS. Use the IRS anonymous tip line, outline how the employer is evading taxes and nail um!

March 3, 2010 at 5:36 pm |
  149. AspenFreePress

Sure, let's create a 'spy on your neighbor,' society. We could all become "secret police." A citizen gestapo as it were. The system worked for a while in Nazi Germany. But wouldn't it be a gross violation of the spirit on which America was founded? Sterling Greenwood/Aspen

March 3, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  150. Dave , Munhall , Pa.

In a New York green light second !!!!!

March 3, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  151. Steve Batts Edna Kansas

Jack! Is that reward money TAXABLE INCOME?
    You darned right I would, I am doing my taxes as we speak, and for 50 years of my 64 years, I paid all I was forced to pay, Not with a bit of anger. But yes I would blow the whistle for free and darned will for a reward.

March 3, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  152. Joe

Jack,

It all depends upon the severity of the tax evasion, which is not determined by greed for money. I think we need to bring in Stalin, as he would randomly bring in decent people to go to the Gulag. We could go back to the Victorian Era and have witch trials, too. What are the signs of civilization versus schadenfreude – living on the misery of others?
    Joe, Binghamton, NY

March 3, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  153. Steve Batts Edna Kansas

Jack! Is the reward money taxable?.

Yes in a heartbeat, these people are not cheating the US government, they are cheating the American people. I will do it for free, but payment is always an incentive.

March 3, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  154. Chad from Los Angeles

Can I please get just one Billionaires SS #, address, and date of birth? I could almost retire off the reward for any particular billionaire, because you know they are cheating the system every way possible..

March 3, 2010 at 5:59 pm |
  155. Lance, Ridgecrest, Ca

Jack, why bother? The IRS is more interested in auditing the average everyday taxpayer, because it is easier to push them around with threats, liens, and garnishments than it is to go after the real tax dodgers. The IRS allows millions of dollars in unpaid taxes to lapse every day because of the statutes of limitations, because they know they would have to go to court to fight a bevy of tax lawyers from corporations that deliberately file false returns. Instead they slap a lien against your house for the $1000 mistake because they know you can't afford to fight them. Big bother bullying you as usual!

March 3, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  156. Patrick

Jack, I can't believe what I'm reading about all of these rats in this country. They all sound like a bunch of nameless, faceless cowards. If our civic duty is to snitch each other out, then were in bigger trouble than I thought.

Patrick

Gainesville Florida

March 3, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  157. MWS - U.S. Army retired

ABSOLUTEY. Starting with Charles Rangle and Tim Geitner. More names to follow shortly.

March 3, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  158. honestjohn in Vermont

Does the IRS tax the reward too? The real tax cheats are the ones with alot of money and do it "legally". I think this program is a really great brainfart.

March 3, 2010 at 6:11 pm |
  159. Deborah in Blue Springs, MO

In a New York minute.

March 3, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  160. Al

The reason the IRS wants detailed information on the tax cheat is they know no one can get this info, this gives the IRS an excuse so they really don't have to investgate. They could care less about tax cheats.

March 3, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  161. Pat Stamm

Hi: Use our tax dollars for this country and maybe people would not mind paying taxes. Flat rate for personal and business.

March 3, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  162. Patricia

Depends on who the tax cheat is.

March 3, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  163. Dave, Brooklyn, NY

I’ve tried to rat out the IRS, big business and the U.S. government for cheating but it doesn’t work. So the answer is why bother. And there is another reason you may not want to drop the dime, the IRS will pay particular attention to your returns in the future.

March 3, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
  164. Richard, Kankakee, IL.

No, because income taxes were never ratified by the states in a 2/3 vote, In IL. our state says that if it is legal in the Federal Government then we must pay income taxes, but because it was never ratified we are not required to pay taxes! And many people have gone to court and won because their is no law that says that we must pay income taxes State of Federal!

Where is the LAW have you seen it?

March 3, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
  165. Richard, Kankakee, IL.

Where is the LAW that says that you have to pay income taxes have you seen it? All of Congress know that no such law exist people are just giving away their money to the IRS out of complete fear. The law just does not exist so why tell on anyone, and how in the heck would you know how much anyone owes in the first place if there was a law?

March 3, 2010 at 6:42 pm |
  166. Richard, Kankakee, IL.

The American people have given away trillion in income taxes on a law that does not exist, so no I would not tell I would pat them on the back for knowing the truth about the fear that the IRS has created in the American People who have been robbed of many trillions on a complete lie!

March 3, 2010 at 6:46 pm |
  167. Bruce - Delaware

Never. According to Aaron Russo's freedom to Fascism, and several court rulings, the Feds have NO constitutional or legal authority to demand Federal taxes from citizens on wages.

March 3, 2010 at 6:48 pm |
  168. Sue, Gary, ID.

Income taxes were meant for Businesses, not Individual people, Income Taxes are a total scam! They have robbed the people blind!

March 3, 2010 at 6:49 pm |
  169. LaVon K Hummel

Yes, in fact allow me to do so now. The wealthy. The Rich, The Greedy that have benefited form the last Presidents and His majority congress. There all Rats.

March 3, 2010 at 6:51 pm |
  170. Ralph Spyer

The government is the biggest tax cheat, when they pay 400 dollars for a toilet seat, 100 for a hammer, a no bid contract in Iraq were the work manship is so poor it is killing G.I.

March 3, 2010 at 6:55 pm |
  171. Viv from NY

Do you know a single rich person who doesn't cheat on his taxes?

March 3, 2010 at 7:03 pm |
  172. Brent

I wonder if the reward....is tax free??

March 3, 2010 at 8:15 pm |
  173. Shane H. - Las Vegas

What is more moral – Being an IRS agent or turning in a cheat? You decide, Jack.

March 3, 2010 at 8:15 pm |
  174. joan

I would rat them out for no reward. After all, if my money has to go down the rathole called Congress, I want everyone else's money to go there too.

March 3, 2010 at 8:16 pm |
  175. Don Ritchie

I don't drop no dime, Jack; but I ain't no fall guy, neither.

Don in Louisiana

March 3, 2010 at 8:16 pm |
  176. Bob

Yes I would...here are two names: Charlie Rangel & Tim Geitner. How much do I get?
    Bob in Austin

March 3, 2010 at 8:17 pm |
  177. Darren Johnson

It depends, Jack. How much would I be paid AFTER taxes?

Darren in Fairbanks, Alaska

March 3, 2010 at 8:17 pm |
  178. Greg in Portland

March 3, 2010 at 8:18 pm |
  179. Barb

Why bother. It's probably taxable.

March 3, 2010 at 8:18 pm |
  180. Carl, Toronto Ontario

Jack

With hard working North Americans, whether in the USA or Canada, sliding downhill economically every year, what person with any ethics would NOT be willing to turn them in, not for the money, but on principle. I wish the Canadian government had announced that up here. All too often it is the rich that get richer, often by either loopholes or simply cheating...

March 3, 2010 at 8:18 pm |
  181. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Hi Jack,

When I think about your question, I think I would take the time to talk to the person and convince them to turn themselves in!

March 3, 2010 at 8:19 pm |
  182. joan

It is funny that so many are ready to rat out millionaires and corporations. When American policies have driven all the millionaires and corporations out of the country/off shore, I wonder how these people think they will have jobs, or the welfare recipients will have their free food thrown to them.

March 3, 2010 at 8:20 pm |
  183. Ryder

no way...The IRS tax is unconstitutional anyway.

March 3, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
  184. cherie

mr c we have always had a means to get money, lie, cheat, steal and kill, why not snitch?? money is money. the question is what do you do without it?? Oh yeah all of the above.

March 3, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
  185. Travis G, OR

I would turn them in on principle alone. I pay my taxes annually just like the majority of responsible citizens, and if someone decides to buck the system and cheat, they should be held liable not only by the IRS, but by their peers as well.

March 3, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
  186. Jim

Jack: Heck yes, for 10 mil I would rat out my old lady, it’s called a win-win situation.

Jim
    Hoffman Estates, IL

March 3, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
  187. Gary Lee LasVegas

Taxes were only invented to pay the Illegal Federal Reserve for printing our money. They were both illegally designed in the 16th amendment. The government should be tried for breaking the rules of the constitution. Income tax was never intended by our forefathers, and to this day, there is not a law on the books that requires a person to file or pay taxes. We need to take our country back. People need to study the constitution!!

March 3, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
  188. J. Clay

NO! as long as big business can lie so can we!

March 3, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
  189. chas

yes Jack I would like to Rat Out All my Landloards that only took cash because they would not claim their income. But I would not know how to get there social security numbers examples
    John K, Nick A,Roger La,Joe, I have a Long List of Tax Evadors I hope they all get there day.

March 3, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
  190. JEHN from Seattle

In a heartbeat. There is no excuse to not pay your taxes. What do you think would happen if everyone decided to not pay our taxes? Life isn't fair, it's equal. What's equal isn't always fair, but its the law. I pay my taxes, and so should you.

March 3, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  191. Roderick

No way Jack,

first thing that will happen they will tax the money I ratted for, the 2nd thing they will start looking at my returns. We are overtaxed as it is, and for what, our tax money is always misused.

Roderick

Dallas,Texas

March 3, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  192. Micheall from Texas

I guess I need to start work on getting the personal information on the overpaid CEO's and managers of America's most sleaziest , diabolical corporations.....which are the insurance, banking, investment, and healthcare industry. Jack, you gave me a tip on how to win the lottery and screw over the robber barons instead of it being the other way around. Thanks!!!!

March 3, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  193. steve- virginia beach

Now that's funny. Our Supreme Leader, Commrade Obama seemed to have an affinity for tax cheats when he was making appointments to his new administration. Now our government that's being run by tax cheats is asking us to turn each other in if we follow their example.

March 3, 2010 at 8:23 pm |
  194. Dominique Malden

Yes ... most definitely ... especially if it is someone who "thinks and feels" that they are getting away with it and boasting to others that the IRS will never find out. And yes, even moreso, since there is a payoff for "snitching" ... New York

March 3, 2010 at 8:23 pm |
  195. bonnie faulkner

Jack, my ex-husband of 20 years ran up a debt on a credit card he was SUPPOSED to pay off after our divorce. I recently found out there is still a balance and they won't take my name off. I also found that he has been working under the table most of this time. I am getting ready to him in. His wife isn't going to like me very much.

Roanoke VA

March 3, 2010 at 8:24 pm |
  196. Adrian

I don't think it is my responsibility to do the job that the federal government should already be doing. The IRS needs more professionals to get out there and follow through on all tax refunds. There should be enough federal works out there, we just hired the most federal workers in recent history.

March 3, 2010 at 8:24 pm |
  197. Tommy in Texas

Well, that depends: Is the IRS informant payment considered taxable income to me? Just wondering.

March 3, 2010 at 8:24 pm |
  198. Alex

Jack, tax evasion is unamerican. They deserve to be turned in no matter who they are or what they've done. You shouldn't be a citizen if you can't live up to the resposibility of one. I know this and im not even of voting age.

March 3, 2010 at 8:24 pm |
  199. Flyingwolf, Manchester NH

Yes I would. I've worked hard all my life & have done everything right & I'm still poor. If I had the info on a rich tax cheat, I would rat him out in a New York minute. And if he was one of those "conservatives" who pontificate that the poor are poor because they're lazy and shiftless, I'd rat him out twice! And as they're dragging him away on the "perp walk" I'd shake my government check in his face before donating it to charity. Rich people are rich because they cheat. They should be made to pay!

March 3, 2010 at 8:24 pm |
  200. Leky

Is not the point of even getting a reward , It's the fact that is wrong and
    is not fair.. THEY SHOULD G T JAIL !

March 3, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  201. Pete - Augusta Ga

In a New York minute – guess it's too late to turn in Charlie Rangel & all the other members of Congress who have been taking free vacation trips (paid for by corporate & lobbying benefactors) but failing to declare the costs as Income!!
    If I could collect on all those cheats the reward would probably surpass the Lottery.

March 3, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  202. Agnes

Absolutely not! I grew up in behind the "Iron Curtain" where snitching on your neighbors to the state was a daily routine. This is as immoral as one can get... And you know what, in a corrupt system like that you never know when it's YOU that the government will go after.

March 3, 2010 at 8:27 pm |
  203. Guy from Hawaii

Our government cheats us left and right by the things they do or in most cases the things they don't do. I'm not going to rat out my neighbor for writing off his yearly vegetable bill because he thinks it's reducing the costs of health care but I'd rat out a guy like Jim Bunning in a heartbeat.
    The question is do you want the guy that mows Gotti's lawn or do you want Gotti?...Nail the big ones...I'm sure many of them are in Washington or are pulling the puppet strings of the politicians with no backbone.

March 3, 2010 at 8:31 pm |
  204. Jack Ohio

Jack,
    I routinely tip in cash so the server has the option of reporting the income, I figure any given server could use a break. Does this make me some sort of accessory? Can you rat on yourself or the pizza guy? 10 Mil? How much prison time is required? Would I be in general populaion or culd I hang out with Mr.Wrangle? Oh well, with my luck the corporatons that hire the pizza delivery peolpe will hire lobbyists to buy congress to reverse the policy and prosecute the "accessory" guy to the fullest extent.

March 3, 2010 at 8:32 pm |
  205. Alex, Beebe

Jack

No matter who you are or what you've done, tax evasion is unamerican. If you can't handle the resposibilitys of a citizen you shouldn't be one. I know this and im under voting age. Americans are greedy, from wall street to the wellfare sucking pigs of the booneys.

March 3, 2010 at 8:32 pm |
  206. Douglas from Ft. Hood, Texas

If I could out the overpaid, lying Congress and Fortune 500 CEO's to the IRS, I could help pay off most of the deficit and be a hero to the nation. What American wouldn't love that idea!!! Tthe only loser would be the Swiss banking system, but hey there is still clocks and chocolate.

March 3, 2010 at 8:33 pm |
  207. Jean

There are some people who will report on others and there are those who will not because they could not care less. Do you blame them? Reason being this may be due to government wasteage of public funds.
    There are others as soon as they are aware that people are cheating will report them without seeking monetary compensation.
    Whatever happened to patriotism? What would some people not do for money which can be the root of all evil? There are others who will do nothing for nothing. Knowing that they could receive financial compensation will rat on others be it their very own family members or friends. They may also quiz them on such private matters so as to glean such information from them.
    I do not think that the government should offer compensation to people to rat on others. It is unethical. The government should not encourage it. Let the government perform its own investigation.

March 3, 2010 at 8:35 pm |
  208. Pat from Ohio

Helped the FBI catch an internet scammer–$75 million worth. Got him on all sorts of things including tax evasion. He should get 46 years and $1 million fine. And I did it for FREE because honesty has it's own rewards.

March 3, 2010 at 8:35 pm |
  209. Jack Ohio

Jack,
    I routinely tip in cash so the server has the option of reporting the income.
    I figure any given server could use a break.
    Does this make me some sort of accessory?
    Can you rat on yourself or the pizza guy?
    10 Mil, really?
    How much prison time is required?
    Would I be in general populaion or culd I hang out with Mr.Wrangle?

March 3, 2010 at 8:38 pm |
  210. Todd I.

Sure, why not? I pay my fair share, so should the next person. Most people work too hard to have those with most try to skim on their share at the expense of others... I hear that my "uncle" got turned in recently over something related to his video or floral business, I hope whomever reported him gets a nice paycheck and a thank you from the government. A proud local business owner should be proud to give back to the community that has supported him.

March 3, 2010 at 8:39 pm |
  211. P Kelso

Just don't believe the part about it being anonymous. More than one person will know you did it and it could get out. I'd be afraid I'd find a horse head on my pillow.

P in