February 4th, 2010

How seriously do you take the tea party movement?

ALT TEXT

Tea Party activists are generally on the right end of the political spectrum, being fiscally and socially conservative. (PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

The one in Boston more than 200 years ago was amazing. Now there's another tea party brewing…

Hundreds of mostly conservative and independent activists are descending on Nashville, Tennessee for the first-ever "National Tea party Convention."

The movement started in small towns and large cities across the country - with people protesting against President Obama's economic and health care policies. It's grown from dozens to hundreds of loosely-linked grass-roots groups. Tea partiers have varying political views, although they generally agree on fiscal conservatism and the idea that the federal government has become too powerful.

Although the tea party movement has no national organization and no leader - it has quickly grown in size and is starting to smell a little like a political party.

Organizers say this weekend's convention is sold out, with about 600 attendees paying $550 to attend.

Some of the sessions planned include "Technology in the Tea Party Movement,"... "Defeating Liberalism via the Primary Process" and "Why Christians Must Engage."

Sarah Palin, the keynote speaker, is reportedly being paid $100,000 - although she insists she won't "benefit financially" from the event. Palin says anything she makes from her appearance will go "right back to the cause" - whatever that means.

But other high-profile speakers and activist groups have dropped out. Critics say the average tea party-goer can't afford the tab for a "lobster and steak dinner in a fancy hotel," they say it sounds more like a "regular Republican fundraiser" than like a tea party.

Here’s my question to you: How seriously do you take the tea party movement?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Aileen from Tampa writes:
My husband and I take the Tea Party movements very seriously. We think they represent one of the few ways a group of concerned citizens can voice their opinions and be heard. We do not meet just to be difficult or because we don't like the current administration. We don't like what the current administration is doing and we don't like the direction we believe the country is going in.

Jeff from Houston writes:
Very seriously. The Bush Regime taught me that anything based in right-wing extremism can get a foothold in this country, and that America still despises anything resembling an intellectual debate. Yes, Jack, a mass of gorillas with clubs and ballots do get my attention. Especially the ones who have developed language skills like "you betcha."

Dan from Chantilly, Virginia writes:
I keep hearing that the majority of tea partiers are independents who are tired of government spending, but the facts just aren't adding up. They suddenly appeared after Obama was elected, they seem to be devoted to destroying the "evils" of Liberalism, they throw around words like socialist and use holocaust metaphors without much care for the implications. They're heavily-sponsored by Fox News, and they often use highly-divisive speakers like Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann. I'm thinking this whole thing is some kind of rebranding of the Republican Party and a few truly independent people are being swept along for the ride.

John from New Jersey writes:
Take them seriously. They are for real. They could be a problem for both parties, but especially the Democrats. Democrats, when you downplay this group of Americans, you are making a very very big mistake.

Carla from Alabama writes:
Are you kidding me? These people need their meds! At least until the mother ship comes back for them.

Gary from Michigan writes:
Just what this country needs at this time: another one-sided, ideologically-deluded group of self-serving extremists. Isn't having Republicans and Democrats enough obstruction?

Filed under: Government
  1. Mark Green

As seriously as I do weapons of mass destruction in IRAQ.

Thats just great irony.

February 4, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  2. Paul

I am leery of them to be honest. Once you knee-jerk Americans throw out Obama in 2012 and re-elect a Republican and things still don't change or improve, I'll be curious to see if the Tea Party re-surfaces again. If not, I'll suspect this has been nothing more than a clever creation of the GOP.

February 4, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  3. Rory Murray

Jack,
    It doesn't matter how seriously I take the tea party movement. The so-called "powers that be" had better take heed of "Taxation WITHOUT Representation"! Because this November, the unwashed masses will prove that HISTORY does indeed reapeat itself!
    Rory Murray
    San Bernardino, CA

February 4, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  4. Michael - Georgia

It may have begun as a "grass-roots" movement, but it has been hijacked by the GOP. Just another example of how self-righteous politicians boast of "values" and then turn around and molest someone. When is the public going to wake up and realize that we need a legitimate multi-party system and to demand campaign financing reform so that a non-millionaire can successfully run for office, and further demand that congress creates term limits to limit political necrosis and the inability to govern.

February 4, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  5. Duane in PA

I watched them on television, It was scary. I don't think most knew what they were protesting back then. The ones that do know, I'm sure can afford the tab. Times are tough, If Sarah and others can make money off tea party's, good for them. P.S. I'm haven a hot dog & fish stick party watch Sarah on the big screen. B.Y.O.T. only 50 bucks

February 4, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  6. Chris in Atlant

Not at all Jack. These are the same people who were willing to spend $600 billion for a war in Iraq. They are mainly Bush supporters that have quickly forgotted that the bank and AIG bailouts were done by the Bush administration. Republicans didn't shrink the goverment, they created a whole new agency called Homeland Security. If these idiots were so worried about spending money why are they paying Palin so much to speak? Why dont the go out and buy a bunch of stuff and try to fix the economy or come up with a better plan instead of just complaining about.

February 4, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
  7. chewy

I can't. With the support of Sara Palin behind it and given the negativity circulating with her, I feel it won't be taken serious. With it being ear- marked specificly at this administration and not government in general.I do agree that government is to big.But I'm with you. It has all the similarities of a political fundraiser. I do support the "Tea Party" in concept.The taxation without representation angle would turn my head for a listen. Let's face it times are rough and a lot of people are in need. We are ripe for a revolution.

February 4, 2010 at 6:37 pm |
  8. Terry in Iowa

I take these folks very seriously. Passion rules reason and they have worked themselves into frenzy. Too many have abandon any sense of civility and have displaced facts with irrational opinions and unsubstantiated speculation. These are very scary people, some of which appear to be closer in ideology to the Taliban then our founding fathers.

February 4, 2010 at 6:37 pm |
  9. JONIQUe

I would not trust anyone who is stupid enough to pay Sarah a penny for anything. She is a greedy person and they are fools for paying her to speak. I am waiting to find out if she has done an illegal act by buying her books using sarahpac money, and then reselling them for profit. she is greedy and the teabaggers have been had. they were ok at first.

February 4, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  10. Phil, georgia

Republicans Lost the election!! This Tea party gig is just a "cry baby" , fringe lunatic right republican disguise to protest that they lost the Presidential election. We act as if these people just dropped here from Mars,, when I bet most of them voted republican in last election.

Democrats could have done the same thing to Bush. Formed a group after he got elected and been mean, billigerant, hateful about anything he tried to do.

February 4, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  11. Jerry Jacksonville, Fl.

These are mostly evangelical republicans that don't want to help anyone, they are the ones that are against abortions but won't adopt a child, think their pastor is next to god until they get caught in someones bedroom or with some guy and will every time cry, pray, ask forgiveness, check into rehab and promise never to do it again when they get caught being out of line.

February 4, 2010 at 6:41 pm |
  12. Ken in NC

Jack, I take it with one cream and two sugars.

February 4, 2010 at 6:41 pm |
  13. Cody

It is a legitimate movement much like the Progressive Party of the early 1900's. I do feel that what started out as a grass root, public uproar has begun to be derailed by elites who only care about money. This becomes apparent when one looks at the for profit stance of the organization running the event and the outrageous costs. This movement was created to show the ignorance of big government and big spending while highlighting the power of the people. The people just need to take it back!

February 4, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
  14. Leslie

I take all extreme groups very seriously. It is the fact that they are going to the extreme lengths that they are to effect election out comes which should make all of us take them seriously. I can respect a group like this because they have very extreme ideas and they are not afraid to let the be known although, I have less respect for them now that they have invited Mrs. Palin to speak. I mean if you want to be considered a real threat to the way voters will vote you do not invite her. I mean really Sarah Palin and they are going to pay her. LOL!! They could find someone that can actually stay on topic while they are trying to digest that expensive dinner

February 4, 2010 at 6:44 pm |
  15. southerncousin

I take it very seriously and support it heavily. But worry that it could split the conservative vote and ensure a reelection for the current president which would be exactly what we do not want to do at this time. If that happens, it is really going to explode. People are mad at this administration, this congress and liberals who represent the non working, non taxpaying, dope smoking population that is currently in control of the White House and Congress.

February 4, 2010 at 6:47 pm |
  16. Luke

How seriously can you really take something that has Palin as the keynote speaker?

February 4, 2010 at 6:47 pm |
  17. BEVERLY-Mystic,Iowa

How seriously can we take people who are so simple-minded that they believe the hokum being spouted by the likes of Scott Brown & Sarah Palin?

February 4, 2010 at 6:47 pm |
  18. hampster

They are little more than political fodder. TEA is an acronym for transient exiled actors and everytime someone yells camera they start shouting .Take them about as serious as a nickel cigar.

February 4, 2010 at 6:48 pm |
  19. Charles Bennett

Whether I take them seriously or not is not nearly as important as whether the politicians take them seriously. No longer does simply having an R or D after your name garner an automatic vote. The Tea Party folks demand that their politician's actions match their words and across party lines they demand fiscal responsibility. For that reason they are attracting a lot of independent voters and those voters will decide elections.

They are ignored by either party at their own political peril.

February 4, 2010 at 6:49 pm |
  20. Gigi Oregon

VERY! I think it is a Republican farce. They think to put it under another name (independent conservatives) will hide the force behind this movement. This mess we are in began many years ago. When the last Democrat left the oval office the debt had been lowered and social security had been secured till about 2028. Don't be foolish enough to believe this mess is Pres. Obama's fault to blame him shows your foolishness and egnorance. The Christian's leaders who put Pres. Bush in the White House and took our tithe moneys to put lobbyist in Washington need to be held accountable for the mess we are in. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice same on me. When big government gave the rich a tax break and decided to let our grandchildren pay for it...we should have rebelled then.

February 4, 2010 at 6:50 pm |
  21. E.J. in Tacoma

About as seriously as we can take Sarah Palin since she seems to be the driving force of this grass roots organization. Maybe they will pull off a new anti government Party of their own and have Sarah be their Guru.
    Stranger things have happened and I'm sure will continue to happen.
    E.J in Tacoma

February 4, 2010 at 6:53 pm |
  22. Jeff in Houston, Texas

Very seriously. The Bush Regime taught me that anything based in right-wing extremism can get a foothold in this country, and that America still despises anything resmbling an intellectual debate. Yes, Jack, a mass gorillas with clubs and ballots do get my attention. Especially the ones that have developed language skills like "you betcha."

February 4, 2010 at 6:54 pm |
  23. TJ-Denver,CO

How seriously can anyone take a group with no leader and that is endorsed by the likes of glenn beck and sarah palin.....NOT

February 4, 2010 at 6:55 pm |
  24. Shirley in Texas

Like I said before, nothing but a bunch of ANGRY, OLD WHITE PEOPLE! What's even sadder is, they bring their grandchildren with them and teach them to behave like a bunch of morons..Their a joke, Jack!

February 4, 2010 at 6:55 pm |
  25. BEVERLY-Mystic,Iowa

Seriously? Exactly what color is the sky in their world?

February 4, 2010 at 6:56 pm |
  26. AILEEN WILLOUGHBY

February 4, 2010 at 6:57 pm |
  27. BEVERLY-Mystic,Iowa

Serious? You can't be serious.

February 4, 2010 at 7:02 pm |
  28. Cynthia Schmitt

I think they are ill informed and really kind of luny. I live in Oklahoma and we have a bunch of them, but it's hard to take this lunacy serious....surely there are not that many ignorant people in America...I mean maybe in Oklahoma where education is at the bottom of the barrel thanks to our conservative house and senate....I laugh at them mostly. When you try to give them correct information they get really upset and reject anything you say. They believe in conspiracy theory big time...they actually believe Beck....LMAO...that is so sad. They are funny to watch though. It would be a great comedy show...facts elude them.

February 4, 2010 at 7:02 pm |
  29. Sharon Koperek

Someone needs to give these people a strong cup of coffee so they'll wake up!! They are so far off the mark they are ludicrous! Why don't you ignore them and hopefully they will all just go away!!

February 4, 2010 at 7:03 pm |
  30. Steve Hanssen

I take them very seriously and they will contiune to grow nationally.

February 4, 2010 at 7:04 pm |
  31. Richard Texas

What is lacking in order for this Tea Party to be effective is organization. People that join are upset at the current government yet they have few solutions to offer. Basically it is a bunch of misguided enthusiasms and that is all that it is.

February 4, 2010 at 7:05 pm |
  32. Mark, from Las Vegas

I think both parties should take this seriously. It may have had an effect on Massachusettes' Senate race with Brown's victory. I'm an independent/Liberatarian and I approve of this. The Reps/Dems have sold this Country down the wrong path for decades.
    Regards,
    Mark

February 4, 2010 at 7:07 pm |
  33. joan

Not at all serious., expect a large explosion in the near future, Sarah is walking in and demanding too much money from them.

February 4, 2010 at 7:07 pm |
  34. Allen L Wenger

They are a joke. A bunch of cry babies who will believe anything the puppet masters say.

Mountain Home, ID

February 4, 2010 at 7:08 pm |
  35. Brett - Detroit

These people are a joke Jack, and they probably are wasting our money in one way or another. In addition, to even consider them a political party insults organizations like the Green Party and Independent candidates everywhere. Their platform is anger. They have no real solutions. They have a better chance helping Haiti than American politics. Next...

February 4, 2010 at 7:08 pm |
  36. Steven

It's hard to take the movement too seriously when it's seems they get all of there info from biased sources. If they would actually come forth with some intellegent solutions to our nations problems, instead of just negative ranting, I, a lifetime democrat, would be on board and helping to recruit others.

February 4, 2010 at 7:08 pm |
  37. Ellen Smith

I think the teapartiers are earnest, but terribly misguided. They protest against things that would help them. The word I would use to describe them is "tools."

February 4, 2010 at 7:11 pm |
  38. Ed Norton, the main land

Jack, the fact that Sara Palin(the main teacup) is the headliner gives
    me some indication of the seriousness of the threat of a tea party
    takeover.

(Other crackpots notwithstanding, Jack).

February 4, 2010 at 7:11 pm |
  39. Nicholas Weber Green Bay, WI

Sounds to me like nothing more than a bunch of people who don't want to pay their taxes. Wasn't that the cause of the first one? I don't take the tea party movement seriously at all. As for Palin's hundred grand, I think she would do more for "the cause" by donating it to Haiti.

February 4, 2010 at 7:12 pm |
  40. John C. Buckley III

Bravo! The tea party movement is a finger in the eye of both the Democrats and the Republicans. It scares the progressive movement that dominates the Democratic . It scares the Republican Party establishment because they cannot figure out how to control "them". In short...it's good for our politics. Both parties have served the American people poorly for too many years. Let's see if either party is listening to what the American people are telling them through the tea party movement.

February 4, 2010 at 7:15 pm |
  41. Uche Ofoma

I don't drink tea Jack and I never liked parties.

February 4, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  42. Pete Crivellaro

Not very seriously at all. Though they might have good intentions, ultimately they come off as nothing more than extremists and hypocrites.

February 4, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  43. Tom Joad

About as serious as a $3 bill.

Where are the Vietnamese, Mexican, Black, Native American, Korean... Tea Party members? Do they not like TEA?

February 4, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  44. Sam

A word: Yawn.

February 4, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  45. ls400s

Jack I take it about as seriously as I take the groundhog seeing his shadow. I think will be the first Tea Party convention,,,and the LAST!.

February 4, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  46. Bryant

I think the tea partys are a joke no one really cares except republicans and fox news, and the sad part is they are talking about the national debt and out of control spending. When it was the republicans who put us in this debt!

February 4, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  47. Jennifer

The tea partiers are the joke of the century. Nothing more needs to be said.

February 4, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  48. Emad from Halifax, Canada

Tea? Let the Pakistanis brew Kashmiri chai to spice things up there. That should justify the ridiculous cost.

Is there a limit to the height of foolishness? Hello?! Americans are losing jobs and trying to survive. Is this excess really necessary?

February 4, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  49. Sam

Intellectually, the tea party movement is a joke. Politically, they're a deadly serious threat to American democracy.

February 4, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  50. jim, concord, nc

If having Sarah Palin giving their keynote is any indication, they cannot be taken seriously at all.

February 4, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  51. Jeffrey Jones

Uninformed, Under-informed and Mis-informed. Lots of heart, not a lot of brains.

February 4, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  52. steve

Any large group should be taken seriously, whether their message is genuine or not!

February 4, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  53. Nancy

Take it very seriously. They have the right idea and thus gather supporters; Unfortunately, it lacks depth which is kind of scary. Example, they have Sara Palin as a speaker! Heaven help us. Certainly they could do better than that.

February 4, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
  54. Joanna

Not at all. I reported on these people multiple times and was alarmed to see a couple goofy Revolutionary War re-enactors in the crowd, shouting, "Down with all lawyers!" amongst a bunch of people who couldn't answer my questions coherently or give a reasonable response to their opposition to the president besides the fact that they think he's a socialist, a Muslim, or even a Nazi. Give me calm, boring, educated debate any day, over the zealots and their blind hatred.

Decatur, GA.

February 4, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
  55. Majorie Parkhurst

I totally support the movement. we NEED to stand up against the government while we are still allowed to. Christians must unite & speak out!

February 4, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
  56. Richard Dare

Not seriously. These are some of the same people that for years roasted Ted Kennedy for errors in judgement for which he apologized and now applaud the election of Scott Brown who unabashedly appeared nude in a nationally circulated magazine.

February 4, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
  57. Chris in Philadelphia

Any movement involved with a for-profit company and Sarah Palin as a keynote will fall on deaf ears outside the radical fringe. So no I won't take it seriously and nor will any other independents take it seriously.

February 4, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  58. Ronn from Waldport, Oregon

Jack, the right wing whackos can now have their own party. Somebody will make a lot of money and the republican party will be split. I hope they have fun at their party

February 4, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  59. Jan from TN

Sounds like the tea party needs to move back to Boston, it worked there, right?

February 4, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  60. Darren Johnson

It seems there are as many different "tea parties" as there are types of tea. If they ever unite, however, they could definitely swing some elections one way or the other. This could backfire on them, by splitting the conservative vote with the Republicans.

Darren Johnson in Fairbanks, Alaska

February 4, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  61. Jim

They are a bunch of clowns that are mostly retirees living off of the dole. The Republican Establishment must be getting really worried about these jokers.

February 4, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  62. Peggy

I do not take the "tea party" seriously. Where was their indignation the last 8 years? That's what got us into this mess.

February 4, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  63. Steven

From New York, NY
    It’s hard to take the movement too seriously when it’s seems they get all of their info from biased sources. If they would actually come forth with some intellegent solutions to our nations problems, instead of just negative ranting, I, a lifetime democrat, would be on board and helping to recruit others.

February 4, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  64. Pigfooter

Very seriously. And it is aimed square at voting OUT each and every incumbent, regardless of party. Time to end the reigns of these "professional" politicians and their "special interest " puppet masters.

February 4, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  65. Bob of Baltimore, Md

Very serious. Every time I try to put sugar and milk in my tea it moves to the right.

February 4, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  66. R Wendel

I take it quite seriously. It's well funded by extremely wealthy backers thoroughly camouflaged behind various PACs, Foundations, and bogus organizations. These are people easily manipulated by anonymous puppeteers with very specific agendas: To make the rich ever richer and the rest of us in perpetual debt. To not take them seriously is a very big mistake!

February 4, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  67. Bill - Upper NY State

I'm an Independent, Jack. My Tea Party consists of a few friend and a pot of Earl Grey with honey. BS makes a terrible tea.

February 4, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  68. Carlos, New Jersey

I don't take them seriously at all... because it was hijacked. The original Tea Party was for Ron Paul's Presidential campaign. It was against the establishment, comprised of a vast majority of moderate independents... not neocons. The original Tea Party organizers would *NEVER* have Sarah Palin speak... let alone pay her to do so! She represents everything the original Tea Party was rallying against!

69. Dave

Jack,

I tend to think of the tea party folks as complete knuckleheads.
    However, in all fairness, if they have enough common sense to not pay money to see Sarah Palin rant and rave in her Minnesota (not Alaska) accent, maybe they have more going for them than I think.

Dave

Colorado

70. Jeffrey Jones

UN-informed, UNDER-informed and MIS-informed. People have lots of heart...not a lot of brains

71. Tara Ponsot

I suspect that the Tea Party movement isn't a Grassroots movement, but an Astroturf movement begun by the Republican Party to give the impression of a angry electorate. I hope the Democrats are smart enough to ignore this obvious ploy.

72. Phil

It is understandable that people are concerned about the level of spending going on but don't you think it's a little ironic that these 600 people should be so concerned about money that they are willing to pay $500 per ticket on this convention? That's more than a Madonna concert!

Phil
    Montreal, Canada

73. Nick D. Neighbour

That's ALL we need! A bunch of "religeous
    LOONEYS forming a third Party!!
    It's enough to make one turn Bolshi!!!
    Nick. N.
    Pasadena. CA.

74. Kevin, Mountain View, CA

Jack, I can't take any party seriously that wasn't there to protest Bush's 8 years of looting and pillaging the country's cash reserves. We're in this mess because of Republicans and ironically they're the same ones protesting Obama's attempts to dig us out of this mess. They voted unanimously to waste billions on wars, yet they protest to spend any money on healthcare for the American people. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

75. Mario

Jack,

This country is in the middle of an idealogical civil war. Both sides need to sit down together, and in a civil manner discuss what is best for the country. I think the Tea Party makes many good points that, personally, I agree with.

Mario
    Miramar, Fl

76. D Melanson

I take the tea party movement about as seriously as I take Fox news...it's a joke...!!

77. Curtis in Kansas

I'll tell you who better take them seriously – and that's the politicians in Washington. Clearly this 'critter' has some teeth – just ask Mrs. Coakley in Massachussets.

78. steve

Blind following the blind, with a few genuine people believing the message, but not understanding that their message is ingenuine. Everyone in this country seems to have a hidden agenda!

79. Matt

A movement that is based on anger and simple-mindedness can not and should not be ignored. Those elements are how the Nazis got started.

Matt
    Saint Augustine, Fl.

80. Rick

Let's face it. What grass roots party claiming to represent the people would charge $500.00 + for tickets during a recession? The Tea Party is just an off shoot of the republican Party period.

san Antonio

81. Will

I don't take the Tea Party people serious, they seem like a bunch of republicans upset tehy lost the election. They went around comparing government health care to being like a Nazi, so they just called a large number of European countries to being like the Nazi's since they have government run heath care. I think they are a bunch of idiots who are out of touch and cannot do the simple math it takes to realize all those countries are longer lived and everyone get care, not like in this country. Maybe they like living a shorter life?

82. Jim

Jack,

Oh, about as seriously as I take any large, noisy gathering of sheep. They don't have much intelligent to say, but for the politicians that end up owning them they'll sure make good eating, after the fleecing, of course.

Jim
    Reno, Nevada

83. Alex- Montreal

This movement is a joke, it's funny how some people want benefits but don't want to pay taxes. Giving back to society and caring for your fellow citizens is not socialism, but then again try explaining this to right-wing semi-fascist fanatics.

84. Karl from SF, CA

In light of the recent Supreme Court decision on corporate contributions and Teabaggers disjointed collections of objectives between its many facits, until I hear that Lipton is backing them, I can’t take them seriously.

85. Cliff

Jack. I'm glad for the support of these born again fiscal conservatives. I just wish it didn't take them 8 years to come around.

86. Lynn

No, Jack. All these so-called "tea partiers" seem to have in common is that they are mad. They think they're mad about spending or taxes, but have no depth of knowledge or understand of the problem and, therefore, its solutions. There's a reason the "tea party" is disorganized – uninformed, directionless, vaguely angry people typically are.

February 4, 2010 at 7:22 pm |
  87. Greg Stern (Lynchburg, Va)

The Republican Party should feel the Tea Party's development as something familiar. The Republican Party that formed in 1854 did so as a multiple-origin grass roots movement with defectors from the soon defunct Whig Party and split Democratic party. But the original GOP did not enjoy success until they adopted a multi-plank platform at the time of Lincoln's election in 1860 (more than just abolition of slavery). The "Tea-party" faces a similar situation as many other third parties have. They will not succeed unless they form a truly comprehensive platform that also demonstrates the ability to govern multiple regions of the country.

February 4, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  88. Richard Scullin

The Republicans have hijacked the Tea Party movement from the libertarians.

While they may agree on some aspects, there are many precepts put forth by the new owners (so-called conservatives) that are totally opposite of the values held by true libertarians.

February 4, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  89. ANN THOMPSON

The 'Tea Party' is a sub-culture of the Republican party. It began before President Obama even took office or proposed any bills. Logically, the people couldn't be angry BEFORE they knew why they were angry. Spending is caused by both parties. It takes money to cure the ills of the past.

Ann Thompson, Cincinnati, Ohio

February 4, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  90. Gabriel Appleton

This movement, in my opinion, cannot be taken seriously. The way I see it, it is simply protestors getting together to discuss how badly President Obama is handling our money. It also looks like other "protestors" are simply using it as a way to gain revenue, as seen by the sale booths.

February 4, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  91. Andy

I think they're very serious, but ill-informed. Has anyone asked them specifically what parts of government they think are too big? Do we want less banking and Wall Street oversight? A smaller FDA or FAA or Border Patrol? People demand government handle these problems, but don't want o pay for them. They want Obama to snap his fingers and make new jobs, but that will take money from somewhere, and the lower income conservatives don't even want to let the tax cuts expire on the wealthy. They're being conned into voting against they're own self-interests.

February 4, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  92. Jim Wilson

I think the tea party movement had a solid and good purpose until Fox News and the far right got involved and ruined it by trying to turn it into an anti-Obama, anti-Democrat movement which obliterated the original intent of the tea party which was to place some controls over our federal government...

February 4, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  93. Cardinal N Walkin

Hi there Jack
    It is possible for the Tea Party Movement to do the other parties a lot of damage if it can get its act together- especially in this time of great political change and uncertainty. Croydon, South London, England

February 4, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  94. Jacob Anselmi

Something about this movement doesn't sit well with me. I do think it's "nice" that a group of people can get together and celebrate their common beliefs. However, I think this is just yet another political rally by republicans. Yes, republicans! I don't see this as another party besides Democrats or Republicans. As far as I know, Palin was going to speak at this event for a sum of $100,000. Either way, enjoy the tea, if you can afford to drink it!

February 4, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  95. Randy

Very seriously, as a Libertarian, because if the Tea Party members would just vote Libertarian, we would be a major player. The problem is that the leaders of the Libertarian party won't drop the more radical portions of their platform. If the Libertarians ran a nationally-known candidate and emphasized fiscal control and smaller gov't, perhaps we could win a few more elections. This year, however, is not the year to vote third party, if the goal is to stop this ridiculous spending spree.

February 4, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  96. Cynthia

I don't take that movement seriously at all. Tea Partiers do themselves a disservice by demonizing the president and rabidly supporting politicians who capitalize on their short-sightedness and thinly-veiled racism in order to gain cheap votes. I'm all for a grassroots effort to make positive change for a better future for ourselves and our children–not a corporate-backed shouting match that just says NO to every reasonable idea.

February 4, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  97. William; Fort Myers, Florida

Serious concerns about government spending combined with voters who lack sophisticated knowledge about solutions which may be complex>> Indeed-that is serious!!

February 4, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  98. Alice

The tea party movement is what this country is all about - keeping the Democrats and the Republicans honest. If you don't like what government is doing today.... start a movement.... get involved!!

February 4, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  99. Mike

The Tea Party seems like it's growing but it also looks to be made up of angry whites. All of the rallies that I have seen on tv seems to be 99 percent white. Where was the Tea Party when George Bush grained the piggy bank for 8 years?

February 4, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  100. Richard, IN

It's a joke. It's turned into a bunch of unhappy, wealthy ex-Republicans, and this convention proves it. If they were serious about doing this for the benefit of The People, it would be held at a 4-H Center, and they would charge $10 a head.

February 4, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  101. Dave

The Tea Party strikes me as an unruly rabble, more like guests on the Jerry Springer show than a serious political force. The many placards they hold up have no coherent message, and they seem to lack civility. I can appreciate their concern about spending too much, but in the absence of any articulated alternative, it's hard to take them seriously.

Dave (from Massachusetts)

February 4, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  102. Ramona Rudulph

Not at all serious. As far as I am concern these are a bunch of malcontents.

February 4, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  103. wade wilkes

Jack,
    About the tea party'ers, Napoleon said it all " In politics stupidity is not a handicap."
    These are mostly sheep being led by highly paid lobby funded gunslingers, sad.

February 4, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  104. Cat

Where were the Tea Partiers in 2008? 2006? 2004? If they are that angry, where were they when the surplus turned into a deficit? And, since they insist that government is just overpsending, which services would they like to see cut? The military? Education? Roads? Medicare? You can't get your big slice of cake if you insist the cake is just too big.

February 4, 2010 at 7:26 pm |
  105. Donald J. Elkins

It is hard to take them too serious when only 600 show up in Nashville for the convention. They are the same ones who listen to and believe the extreme right wing talk shows.

How many of these folks are bussed from one meeting to the next?

I don"t care if Obama was walking on water and dividing the seas, they would be against him.

Donald
    Texas

February 4, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  106. Glen Hards

C'mon, this isn't a party, it's propaganda put out by Corporate America, 600 people do not a party make, more like a corpoarate sponsored audience of dimwits and halfwits who want to destroy America's dreams, and rule us from the corporate boardroom. Just follow the money Jack: just who are these people (Insurance Industry/Lobbyists/big business), and who is paying the bill? Are they writing off the cost of attending such propaganda events?

February 4, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  107. Brian

I would say that the real Tea Party movement is serious, though I'm not at all interested in being a part of it. You bring up this question, but you and the report that followed, by Mary Snow, failed to report that this Tea Party Convention doesn't represent real Tea Party members and the fact that the Tea Party movement has been co-opted by the Republicans. The independent nature of the movement is quashed in this event.

February 4, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  108. mark wisner

Progressives and Democrats please keep thinking that the Tea Party is just a bunch of ultra conservative wackos. Keep thinking that they are racist and bigots. Really, they will just go away! Seriously, the Tea Party is only a fad. Please keep thinking these things and you will see the biggest political turnover in history.

February 4, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  109. bob

Most of the people in this tea party are ignorant of the world as it actually is. They believe that what they have and what they have done to get it is worth more than what others have. They also believe that others whose skin color lackdiffers from theirs or who speak in anything other than a re-neck dialect don't speak for AMerica. Most are uneducated yet they homeschool their children in the prejudices they hold.
    Rarely can they reason logically or ethicall and most of the time they rely on the emotions of the moment to rule their thoughts and words. They are no better than other fanatics who act on their biases and prejudice.
    Their rhetoric is simple and full of misinformation and lies. The nesa media should end its pandering to them and ask hard question of those who speak freely.

February 4, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  110. Detlef Hoffmann

Extremely serious! Thanks for covering this, Jack. This movement is not AstroTurf but true grass roots. It's bigger than you think, it's "We The People"

February 4, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  111. Paul C

Hey Jack,

Tea Party people have money to donate? Well I'm one of the millions of unemployed American's who don't even have that luxury. What do deficits and high taxes matter to people like me who haven't seen a decent pay check in more than a year?

Do I take this movement seriously? How can I take an organization of people who can afford to pay for an event that's $500 dollars a pop and yet complains about how much is being taken away from them? I don't know what this Party is "for" except it's resentful diatribe towards investing in the American people.

Paul
    Irvine, CA

February 4, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  112. David

Where were these folks under George Bush and his reign? Eight years of Republican leadership gave us this debt and financial mess. Cleaning it up is going to take real grit. This tea party stuff is just another ploy by the Republican Party to sabotage or satinize any efforts to save this country....the country doesn't matter to them only their power! (Has anybody seen Karl Rove? I believe he's drinking tea!!!)

February 4, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  113. omar

I believe there are people in this tea party movement who have many valid points and are doing a good job. But the people in this movement who distort facts, make outlandish claims,and mislead the american public through fear tactics are doing this movement a disfavor and are complety ridding the party of credibility.
    Omar,
    Hopewell jct, New York

February 4, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  114. Dan

Jack,
    I think the Tea Party Movement is delightful, so long as they serve crumpets!

February 4, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  115. Brendan New York, NY

Very. Whenever angry extremists of any political ideology start gathering in large numbers, I try to pay close attention – and keep my distance accordingly.

February 4, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  116. charlie

The tea party sounds good. Can this country afford not to have one? It is too bad it has to be on Obama's watch as he did not create the entire problem. The problem is government. Not Obama. I would personally get involved if we would attack the problem not the solution. Obama has done what congress has let him. Congress needs to go. We need to elect new people in our states that aren't rich.Rich people will govern to keep their riches, therefore they will pass legislation to represent that. Where in the constitution does it say you must have wealth to get elected? It doesn't. We know that money is powerful when it comes to elections. The one with the money can get their names out there. Let's face it, people don't really vote on the content of the candidate, but rather if they reconize the name on the ballot from how much they saw the person. It really is just a popularity contest. I would challenge people to "tea party" themselves first, as our votes should really be informed ones. Charging $550 a plate and paying Sara Palin $100 thousand looks like what it is,a republican fundraiser. This tea party is beginning to look like a big scam on its followers without using the money to better their cause.

February 4, 2010 at 7:28 pm |
  117. Diane

Very seriously. TV commentators keep insinuating the tea partiers are "crazy" and of no significance, especially since there are so few of them compared to how many Americans actually live in the U.S.; in other words, ignore them and hopefully they will go away. Yes, I do agree that "some" of them sure act a little crazy, but most of them are just like the majority of people everywhere...just plain people with common sense but who are actively speaking out now and trying to gain the attention of our government officials who seem to be living in la-la-land.

Unfortunately, with the appearance of Sarah Palin, how can I now take the tea partiers seriously any longer? What a shame because they've come so far...until now!

February 4, 2010 at 7:28 pm |
  118. Gerald Elcyzyn

I would like who ever heads the Tea Party, who objects to the Stimulas Package to tell the Policemen, Firefighters, teachers that they are going to be laid off. Tell the Auto workers that they are going to be laid off. The Tea Party is a cover for conversative republicans most who have a job and insurance.

February 4, 2010 at 7:28 pm |
  119. Jim Green, TX, www.Inclusivism.org

Jack....this bunch of loonies fold like a cheap tent when they are confronted with the fact that Bush doubled our deficit–and that 95% of them got a tax cut under Obama–that is the so called steam behind their crusade–is just Republican hot air! Meaningless!

February 4, 2010 at 7:28 pm |
  120. Corey Hernandez

Although I appreciate what Libertarian aspects the Tea Party it has, for the most part they seem to be an unorganized group of uneducated people who know what they are against but don't have a single clue as to what they are for (hence uneducated). I've met Tea Party members who, of course, are anti-tax and anti-universal health care and claim to be pro-individual and pro-freedom, yet don't support abortion rights, don't support equal rights for gays and lesbians and support a perpetual warfare state. This is idealogical incongruence and it's why I cannot take the Tea Party seriously.

February 4, 2010 at 7:29 pm |
  121. Darrell Morgan

Yes, I take the Tea Party movement seriously, and so should you and others. This isn't just about taxes. People, like me, are fed up with the way our government is, slowly but surely, taking away our freedoms and taking control of things that we, THE PEOPLE, should be in control of. Republican, Democrat, Independent, whatever you say or think you are doesn't matter. The entire government system has become too corrupt. I for one, am sick and tired of the "super secret, behind the back handshakes" that they ALL (politicians) are guilty of. Bailouts, payoffs, closed-door deals are doing nothing for the people of this great nation. Wake up America!

February 4, 2010 at 7:29 pm |
  122. ls400s, Bronx NY

Jack, Ive only seen the Tea party try and tout their message in New York City once.. It lasted all of two minutes! One hasda sign with Obama in a unflattering way...They gave him 30 seconds to put it down, And told him this was not the place for that, New Yorkers are as civil when you try that nonxense here. I have yet to see another rally here yet

February 4, 2010 at 7:29 pm |
  123. Teri from Florida

The teaparty has limited itself to people that have ignored their responsibilities to educate themselves before they vote. For the last 30 years they have voted for people that say they hate government, which has resulted in their representatives selling themselves to the highest corporate bidder. So no Jack, I won't take them seriously until they can actually present something productive instead of just a bunch of whining.

February 4, 2010 at 7:29 pm |
  124. Doug from Bloomington Indiana

These people are hacks, pure and simple...and I emphasize "simple". I'm so sick of so-called conservatives pulling out charming little protest strategies from the ancient past and using those as some kind of valid public discourse.
    If they want to make some legitimate counter proposals to the policies with which they disagree, I'm willing to listen and debate. But if all they produce is some sensationalistic babble and produce or propose nothing (which has been the case so far), then they can carry their cup of Republican/Conservative-Sarah Palin-loving koolade and walk off the cliff with the rest of the lemmings.

February 4, 2010 at 7:29 pm |
  125. george

I dont take the tea party seriously at all,at least not in the electable sence. They strike me as being nothing more than the new faction of the gop that's dressed down touting a banner of fiscal responsiblity.
    george
    chester,ct.

February 4, 2010 at 7:29 pm |
  126. Gord Sly

I am surprised that the US has remained basically a two-party system for most of its history. With the new Tea Party craze and a growing independent movement, perhaps a multi-party system is inevitable. Think of how that would impact on the constitution, in particular the election of future presidents with regard to electoral votes required to win.
    Gord
    Odessa, Ontario, Canada

February 4, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  127. cedric henry

i take them very seriously.they are living proof that there is a lunatic fringe rearing it's ugly head in the republican party.an army of gibbering baboons pushing a selfish insane agenda with sarah palin as a figurehead.Jack if i were you i would be shaking at my desk!the tea party doesn't like intelligent thought provoking questions.

February 4, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  128. Charles Sobesan

Jack,
    My question is this. where were the tea Baggers when Admiral bush went to Iraq and balloned the national debt ? Where were they when Paulson authorized the initial bailouts ? where were they when the rich got tax cuts during 2 wars ?
    The Irony of Politics is, it,s always practical and pragmatic to run against something, which is what the tea baggers are doing. This is the ihypocrisy.
    We have learnt from the Gringrich revolution, never bet against anybody running against something, ignore them at your own peril. The culture war as a weapon has lost some of its appeal. The old bogeyman was affirmative action, gays and secularism. Now disgruntled sore losers are pretending to be for fiscal something ? Please !

February 4, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  129. Donald in CA

I take them seriously only because there are a lot of people in America. who love idiots. But then again charles manson, jim jones and hitler have their followers.

February 4, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  130. S.S.

If the tea partiers really wanted to be taken seriously, they probably shouldn't have Sarah Palin speak. Just a thought. Political parties rise under situations like these, though for one to truly gain strength and credibility, real unity and set beliefs and ideals are essential. This tea party seems to lack these, but we'll see how it goes.

New York

February 4, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  131. Steve

The Tea Party Movement talks about the freedom from government interference in your life, but how many of the Tea Party Members want to refuse the right to Gay Marriage or the right of Gays to serve in the military, or a Woman's right to choice on reproductive rights to her own body.

February 4, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  132. Cynthia

My name is Cynthia K. from Katy/West Houston, TX and I take the Tea Party Movement very seriously. I lead a group in my area, and affiliate with a larger city group. There are many other groups in my area as well, some people working full time in the movement. We hope the LIberals keep ignoring us, and laughing at us – this will aid in our future atacks on their policies while they least expect it. We are a "GATHERING STORM" against poor policies, excessive spending, and bad bills in our government – BEWARE!

February 4, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  133. Nick, CT

I do not take them seriously. Where were this people for the last eight years, when the previous administration spent more than 6 trillion dollars. This is a movement who are against , Obama. How are going to fund the loss of revenue from the tax cuts .Bush. did this tax cuts, and what was the results.
    Also I would like to see the reporters ask the tea partiers, for their solutions, like who is going to fund the loss of revenue from tax cuts. What constitutions have been violated by this administration so far. When the reporter ask them why you are here, they should follow it with another question as to what they are going to do.

February 4, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
  134. Ruth in NC

Tea Parties. The last time the government that represented Americans did not listen to the citizens, we had a tea party, and started our own government and created the United States.

The Tea Parties of the 21 century, may also start a new government . Our elected officials need to listen or we may have a repeat Revolution. Afterall, we are all decendents of Rebels. Walking in the footsteps of our founding fathers will be an honor.

February 4, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
  135. linda, broomfield, colorado

That's a no brainer. Not at all if Sarah Palin is being paid to speak. So much for fiscal responsibility. Pay me, I could tell them a thing or two for half the price and I'd be wearing my own clothes.

February 4, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
  136. James Maina Mathenge

Let no one underestimate the impact of these small time meetings held in Ball rooms.They begin as a teacup storm but sooner than later get a head and grow into a roaring tsunami.Watch out!

February 4, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
  137. DAJ

I take the Tea Party very serious. However, the evidence leads me to see them as very reactionary and angry not very connected to the facts. I don't even think they are seriously looking for the facts, only more fuel for their anger. I don't find that attractive at a time when our country needs to be growing closer together rather than deeper in divisive thinking. I pray that the country is not snowed into ignoring the need for competency in leadership and efficiency with regard to human service issues. Finally, I would love to see the truth about the fact that there must be respect for the leaders of this nation if we are ever to be respected globally. The Tea Party seems to spew such ugly character assaults on what is in many cases the brightest and intelligent people the US have to offer. That's why we vote for them.

February 4, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
  138. Holly

As a resident of TN, I welcome Dick Armey"s Army. He knows more about Capitalism than many C. E. O.s & C. F. O.'s. Behold how he's encouraged folks who benefit from some of the most socialist programs in America to spend their Social Security $ right here in TN. Who else would arrange a get together for home grown anarchists (those who want to overthrow the present democratically elected government in Washington, D.C.)? Yes, I know Dick Armey will benefit handsomely from this shindig, but Jack, I hope he spends lots o' money here, too.
    Come on Down, Y'All!

February 4, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
  139. John in Santa Barbara

It is still under GOP directive. Their numbers will swell until there are enough of them to pick sides and go for each others throats. Then it will peter out and back to business as usual.

February 4, 2010 at 7:32 pm |
  140. JoAnn Simpson

The "Tea Party" Movement is this decades name for
    the negative sayers, once called the John Birch Society among other
    "derivative" names for naysayers, no matter what...

February 4, 2010 at 7:32 pm |
  141. Cody from Bloomington, Indiana

I happened to attend the Tea Party in D.C. in September, as well as the one in my town, and let me tell you, they were eye-openers. While fiscal responsibility is ideal, the tea partier's idea of what it looks like is unclear and almost hypocritical. There was no such movement when we entered two wars and created programs without funding them, but now it springs up after spending money to save our economy. To me it seems like the product of paranoia and misinformation instigated by certain news organizations. But hey, when you own the news, you can twist it however you want. Never under-estimate the power of idiots in large numbers.

February 4, 2010 at 7:33 pm |
  142. rick

The tea party movement is just another group of fringe wing nuts who get press coverage because they are fringe wing nuts. They do not speak for most americans. When I hear someone talk about kicking all the lobbyists out of government then I might be interested in that group.

February 4, 2010 at 7:34 pm |
  143. Paul

Hey Jack,

Do I take this movement seriously? How can I t? They're an organization of people who can afford to pay for an event that's $500 dollars a pop and yet complains about how much is being taken away from them? I don't know what this Party is "for" except it's resentful diatribe towards investing in the American people.

February 4, 2010 at 7:34 pm |
  144. Daniel Schroeder

It is becoming apparent that more and more of American leaders are leaning towards decadence, corruption, and irresponsibility, all in the name of because we can. For many many Americans feeling frustrated are looking to make a difference in a positive way for themselves their communities, country and this planet. Tea Parties, Change, improvements and cleaning up the mess. All the same. For some the only civilized thing to do is voting get it done or get out of office.

February 4, 2010 at 7:35 pm |
  145. A. Jolly

Yes, I take the Tea Party seriously, as serious as I take racism and other forms of hate in America. The Tea Party members can continue to hide behind the cloak of fiscal responsibility, masking their general xenophobia and hate of our first black president. I'm not opposed to fiscal responsibility, but I am in favor of civility and the genuine respect for those I may disagree with. It just takes one crazy member of the Tea Party to act out the rhetoric that will destroy uniform fabric of America.

Jolly,
    ATL

February 4, 2010 at 7:35 pm |
  146. Claudia Nealley

I always take misguided people seriously. At the very least these people don't know much about the first Tea Party. Our forefathers dumped tea in the Boston Harbor because they suffered from taxation without representation. Last time, I checked all the Tea Party folks had a vote. They seemed to be anti-government. For example: They don't want Health Care reform. At my high school age, son's football games, several players were benched due to lack of insurance. How do they plan to solve problems like that or do they think it isn't their problem to solve and say"Pass me the lobster"

February 4, 2010 at 7:35 pm |
  147. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Jack,

at a cost of $500.00 dollars, is this paid by the same tea partiers seen this summer; the same people asking for less spending!

How seriously do you take the tea party movement?
    as much as reading tea leaves...but what is quite transparent is an attempt to build an image of a grassroot movement within the republican party funded by the republican party!

It is a desparate republican call! You know when your brand can no longer be trusted because of the last decade; you catch whatever flies in the air and stick it to your brand because your brand has lost most of its appeals! But let's not be fooled...at the end of the day it will remain the same because of the same old habits of turning any new sugar into vinegar which will make it once again an unappealing brand of tea fed to the American people from this past decade! Same old tea, same old leaves...that is no drink we can cheer to!

February 4, 2010 at 7:35 pm |
  148. David P Vernon

Tucson, AZ – I view the Tea Party movement with some concern, but not alarm, because they only get a couple of thousand people to particpate and will swing very little actual politcal weight. Ben Stein, economist, Republican, and one of the smartest people on televison, points out that the platform of the Tea Party movement is just not realistic. Check the facts: It was Republican adminstrations, not Democratic ones, which racked up over three fourths of the current national debt. So called "conservatives" faciltated the current capital crisis., bailed out AIG, and misspent the TARP funds. Never mind the propaganda. Nobody has taken, or is trying to take, "their" country away. The Tea Partiers are at best seriously misinformed, at worst seriously deluded. Lets hope they don't have any success with their insane political platorm – we have had more than enough government by stupidity already!

February 4, 2010 at 7:36 pm |
  149. Jack - Lancaster, Ohio

Jack:

As far as I can tell, this is a grassroots American originated movement and it is refreshing as a breath of independence.

February 4, 2010 at 7:36 pm |
  150. Rick

Based on their convention's agenda they simply sound like a bunch of white/christian radicals.

February 4, 2010 at 7:36 pm |
  151. Olivia Salazar

I find it hard to believe that these tea party-goer's cannot afford the tab for a lobster and steak dinner, but they can afford to pay $550 to attend this convention and pay for room, board and travel expenses during their trip. Not to mention, take time off of work. Could one of the best political team on television please tell me what "THE CAUSE" of this movement is other than trying, without success, to insult our President. If they cannot state their cause on television, the media should not give them any attention, even though no one is paying much attention to them now. The fact that Sarah Palin is the keynote speaker says it all doesn't say much for this movement either.

Stockton, California

February 4, 2010 at 7:36 pm |
  152. Max

Looks like a bunch of materialistic people who hold money above human life, health and pursuit of happiness; I find the name of the movement an insult to the noble rebellion of the 1770'ies.

Where were they when the previous administration put the lives of generations of Americans in danger by actions leading to the creation of the demon called islamic fundamentalist terror ?

February 4, 2010 at 7:36 pm |
  153. Floyd

not at all most of them have never been hungry ,sick or wondering if they will be able to pay their bill or have to go to work when their sick if they did their won't be a tea freaken party

February 4, 2010 at 7:37 pm |
  154. Joe Miszkiel Murfreesboro, Tn.

Why did they exclude all local media in Nasville including The Tennesean Nashvilles news paper.

All local Rep.s and Sen.s canceled out also.

Seems like something is fishy with this movement in Nashville

February 4, 2010 at 7:37 pm |
  155. Everett Hadley "Had"

Dear Jack,

The "Tea baggers" are having Sarah Palin as their keynote speaker. If this is their idea of intellectual stimulation then I suggest that they rename their party the "Flat Earth Society"

E. Hadley,
    The Villages, Fl.

February 4, 2010 at 7:37 pm |
  156. Kris Comrie

Jack, I take them quite seriously. As a group of independant minded Americans they are using protest to assert thier freedom from hostile governance. Serious Stuff.

Too bad they are mostly misinformed and unwilling to hear a dissenting opinion without beginning a shouting match.

Sarah Palin hitching herself to the bandwagon is perfect. This one just fell into her lap and I'm sure she couldn't pass up a chance to run as the candidate for a "Party of the People". (be certain, this is a done deal)

In the end, the Dems will be the ones to profit as the TP's are mostly fringe Conservative votes that the Rupublicans usually rely on...

Ross Perot, Eat Your Heart Out!

February 4, 2010 at 7:37 pm |
  157. Subhash

Very seriously.Could you have imagined a year back that that with this President's image such a thing could have been possible? It just goes to show that the President is ALL WORDS and NO ACTION.
    A big bubble !

February 4, 2010 at 7:38 pm |
  158. A. Jolly

Yes, I take the Tea Party seriously, as serious as I take racism and other forms of hate in America. The party members can continue to hide behind the cloak of fiscal responsibility, masking their general xenophobia and hate of our first black president. I'm not opposed to fiscal responsibility, but I am in favor of civility and the genuine respect for those I may disagree with. It just takes one crazy member of the Tea Party to act out the rhetoric that will destroy uniform fabric of America.

February 4, 2010 at 7:39 pm |