January 29th, 2010

Are you willing to vote against the incumbent?

ALT TEXT

(PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

It turns out the Democrats were too clever by half.

In four vacant Senate seats - they managed to go zero for four in putting people in place who have virtually no chance of being re-elected.

It's not bad enough that the midterm elections are shaping up as a bloodbath for the Democrats - but now they'll be forced to defend what should have been safe Senate seats in some of the bluest states of the country.

Joe Biden's old seat in Delaware - Hillary Clinton's old seat in New York... they managed to put a moron into President Obama's old senate seat in Illinois... thank you, Rod Blagojevich... and one of the senate seats in Colorado could also fall to the Republicans.

Plus - they just lost Ted Kennedy's Senate seat in Massachusetts... and the governorship in New Jersey... and the governorship in Virginia... they're on a real roll.

Of course - voting against incumbents has a certain appeal. The government is broken, the only way to fix it is term limits. And there's no way the weasels in Congress will ever agree to do away with their own jobs. So that leaves it up to us.

Scott Brown certainly got everyone's attention. The Senate seat he won had been held by the late Edward Kennedy for 46 years... so you see, it can be done.

It is possible for us the voters to create some real change we can believe in. All we have to do is get over this stupid idea that because somebody has been there, they should always be there.

Here’s my question to you: Are you willing to vote against the incumbent in this year's midterm election?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

J.J. from Illinois writes:
With the new 24-hour instant news and social networks, the political parties better learn that things will change very quickly and that any party loyalty is becoming very fleeting. The incumbent Republicans and Democrats better solve some problems together or they will go down together.

Donald from Bluffton, South Carolina writes:
I routinely vote against incumbents. I'm a firm believer in term limits… Unfortunately, my vote doesn't count. I live in an area of South Carolina, where "knee-jerk" conservatives vote for any Republican the party puts on the ballot.

Mark from Naperville, Illinois writes:
Yes, I always am. The problem is the idiot I am voting against now was once "supposedly" the candidate of change. He/she got there, got corrupted by the power and special interests, and then became the incumbent I now despise. It is a sick little cycle that has infected both parties and has no real answer in terms of resolution.

Silas from Boston writes:
As a Scott Brown voter, I'll continue voting against incumbents regardless of party. NBC only gave Conan 7 months, that's longer than the American people have given Barack Obama. And yet we still send the same lobbyist-purchased legislators back to Washington every two years. If they won't give us term limits, all we have to do is fire them. I know I'm sick of seeing the faces of Pelosi, Reid, Boehner, Cantor and Specter just to name a few. Forget Clinton or Bush fatigue, I've got Congressional Fatigue.

David from Oregon writes:
Not me, Jack. My representatives are perfect; they do everything I want them to. I am positive they don’t take money under the table, their wives love them to death and they never kick their dogs.

Deborah writes:
Yes, ALL incumbents have to go. There is rampant corruption in our government. You have NO idea how I hate to agree with you.

Filed under: Elections
  1. jim

hell yes

January 29, 2010 at 2:39 pm |
  2. Russ in PA

Are you kidding? If I can't find a libertarian candidate to replace the current choice, then I'm writing in Ron Paul.

January 29, 2010 at 2:46 pm |
  3. Paul Round Rock, Texas

I am always will to vote out an incumbent because I am one that believes in term limits. I do not believe we should leave anyone in forever. May other reason is it sure seems that when we do vote one out they get to Washington and become a clone of the system and they do the same thing the other person has been doing. So I say vote them all out.

January 29, 2010 at 2:47 pm |
  4. Amber - Austin, TX

In Texas, you bet your hat Jack.

January 29, 2010 at 2:49 pm |
  5. Jane (Minnesota)

I already did do it so I won't in 2010 – I voted against our incumbant House Representative in 2006 – he lost and I think his replacement has been good. I also voted against Norm Coleman in 2008 Senate election. Now the rest of the country needs to do the same.

January 29, 2010 at 2:51 pm |
  6. George Sharpe

Yes. It is time to clear out all elected reps. It's also time to consider term limits 3 terms for cog rep, 1 term for senate. After serving, cannot run again. This get rid of the stranglehold long serving members of congress have held. It's time to change this, the founding fathers never envisioned people making lifetime careers in Congress. This is change we really need and applies to both parties equally. I'm tired of "business as usual" and the good old boys never getting any real work done, they are constantly running for re-election instead of really taking care of the "people's" business. This would ensure fresh blood and approach which this country of ours really needs.

January 29, 2010 at 2:51 pm |
  7. Mark

I'll vote against any incumbent who is supporting this spend-thrift President, whether Republican or Democrat.

Mark
    Oklahoma City

January 29, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
  8. Conor in Chicago

Always. Especially if it is a decent 3rd party candidate.

January 29, 2010 at 2:57 pm |
  9. Melissa

Yes, but only as long as I think the incumbent is doing a bad job. I don't vote against an incumbent just to make a childish point.

January 29, 2010 at 2:59 pm |
  10. Lou from North Carolina

Yes, but hopefully not for this President. He deserves time to try after the mess he was given by the previous Ruler.

January 29, 2010 at 3:04 pm |
  11. Terry, Chandler AZ

It would be nice if every voter voted against the incumbent regardless of the person and his or her experience or his or her party. It matters nit if it is A McCain a Pelosi a Reid, whomever, they all need to go. Sadly the American voter is much to stupid to produce an entirely new Congress.

January 29, 2010 at 3:06 pm |
  12. Mike in St. Paul

I will not vote against the incumbent solely for the moment of self-righteousness I will get out of it and then have to live with them for the next few years. I have seventeen years' experience in my field and out of 150 resumes have gotten three e-mails saying they went with someone who has more experience. Why should I vote for some guy who fancies himself an agent of change, which this country clearly does not even want? I might as well vote for that pill-popping buffoon Rush Limbaugh, who also claims to know the way things ought to be.

January 29, 2010 at 3:06 pm |
  13. Harold, in ANCHORAGE, AK

Yep, we do EVERY TWO YEARS but it is futile in ALASKA. Big oil runs our state.

January 29, 2010 at 3:06 pm |
  14. Ken from Maryland

No. Unlike some, my representative is voting the way I want him to. He is representing my interests. No reason to vote him out.

Now if my representative was Rep. Boehner (Mr. Just Say No), Rep. Bachman (flat out insane), or Sen. Reid (incapable of leading), I'd certainly be voting against the incumbent.

January 29, 2010 at 3:06 pm |
  15. Rob of Brooklyn

hey first time ever. I've voting against everyone thats in office. Their all doing an awful job. Time for all of them to move on.

January 29, 2010 at 3:08 pm |
  16. Pete

Am I willing ?? Are you kidding ?? I can't wait for November to get here !!

January 29, 2010 at 3:12 pm |
  17. Ed

I've been voting against the incumbent for 26 years, but this year I will not, because his opponent is a Tea Party Loony.

Ed
    Texas

January 29, 2010 at 3:15 pm |
  18. Joe M

Jack,

Yes I am and yes I will! They may not be part of the problem but as the old saying goes, "if your not part of the solution you are the problem". This especially holds true in politics Jack. They all need to be replaced because nothing is getting done and the guys on the bench cannot do less than nothing. Those up for re-election are walking on thin ice right now and after the election; some will have fallen through. I cannot say I will feel sorry for them. Good riddance!

Joe M (Mn)

January 29, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
  19. ROD Chicago

Oh Ya!

January 29, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
  20. Deborah Guerin

Certainly, IF there was/is a better candidate .. but in the case of President Barack Obama, I believe we have the very best choice for America. No one else could serve our country better as President, especially under the trying circumstances our country is facing.

I campaigned, supported and voted for Obama in 2008, and will do so again in 2012!

January 29, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
  21. Terrence , NC

Yes, if the incumbent is aligned with big business, or is voting to protect big business interest. Also if they are blocking legislation because they want to over throw Obama. We voted and elected these people to represent the needs of the people of the United States not the rich.

January 29, 2010 at 3:22 pm |
  22. Joe R - Houston

Without question! I've already made up my mind to do exactly that. It's time to start over with folks who won't be lying when they take their oaths of office to honor, preserve and protect the constitution.

A clean slate with people who don't see government regulations, tariffs for protecting entrenched monopolies and pork barrel favors as commodities to trade for future campaign support will be a good beginning.

Hell yes! Throw the bums out.

January 29, 2010 at 3:22 pm |
  23. Mark, Bradenton,FL

Jack I will vote against anybody for re election since they have done Nothing for us.

January 29, 2010 at 3:24 pm |
  24. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

Not only are we willing, we are going to vote angainst all of those that hold an office at all levels. We need to send a message to these people that they work for the voters, not lobbyist and oil companies.

January 29, 2010 at 3:24 pm |
  25. S, Michigan

Absolutely. Term limits of 3 terms for congressmen and 2 terms for senators should be inacted.

January 29, 2010 at 3:24 pm |
  26. Tom in Desoto, Tx

I often dobut they still win by a large majority, the laws incumbents enact to keep them there are working stupendously. The less things change, the less they are going to change.

January 29, 2010 at 3:25 pm |
  27. Wilhelm von Nord Bach

that's a tough one, Jack. as a Nevada Democrate I would love to vote against Harry Reid, who is the MOST ineffectual Senate Majority Leader I have seen in my lifetime, IF someone would offer up primary challenge BUT I'm NOT prepared to turn our Senate seat back over to some Republiican corporate bootlicker.

have working people so quickly forgotten how BADLY the Republicans screwed things up when THEY were the majority and George W Bush was President?

January 29, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
  28. Linda - Muncie, IN

My Rep. from Indiana is Republican Mike Pence. I will vote against him every day and twice on Sundays. He will run for President in 2012 and with all the ignorant tea-baggers in this country, he just might win. I say, 'show him the door' now while there is still time to slow him down.

January 29, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
  29. JD in NH

Just being an "incumbent" isn't sufficient reason to vote against someone. What do they stand for? How have they voted? I am excited to vote for my congressperson who is currently running for the Senate. Why? He responds to my questions and comments and supports the majority of positions I do. Plus, he's a very smart person. Hodes for Senate!

January 29, 2010 at 3:30 pm |
  30. Tina Tx

I am voting out any old duck who has been serving longer than two terms. I am sick of stale thinking. It is time to get fresh thinkers who do not take my vote as a joke. They promise me the moon to get elected and once in they fall right into the tricks of the old fossils who have been up there long enough to turn into stone. Time is up!!

January 29, 2010 at 3:35 pm |
  31. bob frompa

yes all of them i am tired of same old b.s.

January 29, 2010 at 3:37 pm |
  32. Joanne B

Depends upon who it is.....if they are for Gov't Control.....we'll vote against them.
    Joanne B
    Mn

January 29, 2010 at 3:38 pm |
  33. Tony From Southport

Only if the incumbent is a left wing liberal Democrat. Yeah... that's right.

January 29, 2010 at 3:38 pm |
  34. Mike from Denver

I believe you look at the incumbent's record and compare it to the other person running. You have to pick the best person, not just the name you recognize. Considering most of the incumbents caused this little mess we are in, they should be scared.

January 29, 2010 at 3:40 pm |
  35. Terry in Hanover

YES! This election and every election from here on out!!!!!!!!

January 29, 2010 at 3:43 pm |
  36. Christ from NY

If only they are not helping move the President's agenda foraward.

January 29, 2010 at 3:49 pm |
  37. Ed's Kate

Only IF I feel that the incumbent is not going his job. I do not and will not vote against any incumbent that is doing his job to the best of his ability and has the best interests of the people of this country at heart. I definitely do not and will not vote for or against any incumbent just to please a group of idiots who are out to oust anyone who does not agree with their ideas and/or policies.
    It is time the politicians of this country did the job the people of this country voted them into office to do. They are elected BY the People and FOR the People to propose and pass laws that are in the best interest of this country and the people of this country. They are elected to work in a bi-partisan way to pass legislation. Just bowing down and doing whatever their leaders tell them to do is stupid and ridiculous. What is going on now in the Senate and House is the height of arrogance.

January 29, 2010 at 3:49 pm |
  38. JIM El Paso Tx

I am but who are we going to replace them with...another horse but of a different color?? Ther electorate is screwed plain an simple anymore:(

January 29, 2010 at 3:49 pm |
  39. amy

Yes I am!

January 29, 2010 at 3:50 pm |
  40. Chaney. Louisiana

I would if I could but my choice is bad, either way. On the one hand we have family values GOP man David Vitter,of visiting prostitutes fame, on the other is Dem. Blue Dog variety Charlie Melancon, who is recycling, himself, so nothing new....

January 29, 2010 at 3:52 pm |
  41. Ed North Carolina

Both Senator Burr and Rep. Virginia Foxx are impediements to bipartisanship. They both have served the interests of the Republican Party over the interests of North Carolinians. They are "yes men" who don't deserve another term.

January 29, 2010 at 3:53 pm |
  42. Michelle Johnson, Lomita, CA

I will vote against the incumbent if he doesn't make good on his promises–mainly creating jobs. He has been in office for a year, and the unemployment rate is abysmal. Too many inspirational words with him, not enough action. Too much diplomacy is interfering with accomplishing goals. I voted for Hillary in the primaries. Prejudice against women is still a problem in the nation. Were Hillary a man, she would have easily won. She is a stronger, more definitive leader than Obama.

January 29, 2010 at 3:53 pm |
  43. Ken McConnell

I intend to vote against any incumbant ,local ,state ,or national its time we get term limits. We elect a president for only 2 terms, yet we have congress elected who have been in DC for ever and have forgot who & why they are there. they need to go home and find out how the majority of citizens real live. from Tenn.

January 29, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
  44. daryl

If there were a better alternative, yes. To put republicans back in office hell no.

January 29, 2010 at 4:00 pm |
  45. David in San Diego

"Willing to" is an odd way to put it. I don't "want to" vote against my incumbent Congressperson or US Senator because I support what they have been doing and are trying to do. I would surely be willing to vote against an incumbent if I didn't believe she was the person I wanted in that job.

January 29, 2010 at 4:02 pm |
  46. Peter

without a doubt. I don't care what "party" an incumbent is he must be thrown out. These losers have proven over and over again they are incompetent and in it only for themselves. It's time for as much new blood (and brains) as possible

January 29, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
  47. marlene

Jack the question should be, Are you willing to vote for the best individual available? Forget party tags! Throw the incumbent out mantra is silly, if the incumbent is the best choice you have to vote for the political office. Incumbents are not the problem, but the party leadership that insists on obstruction of the governing process, is the problem. Do you think the Republican party leadership would dare call for a 60% voter majority to achieve elected office, the way they call for a 60% Senate vote? Marlene in Mich

January 29, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
  48. Debbie, IL

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need term limits in this country in the worst way!

January 29, 2010 at 4:04 pm |
  49. Paul Hatfield

I am a somewhat Left-leaning Independent and hope that this year EVERY incumbent will be voted out of office and replaced w/ANYONE from ANY other party. These clowns think they can do what they or their corporate handlers want them to do, w/never a consequence. They, and those up for re-election in 2012, desperately need a wake-up call!
    Paul H.
    Midland Texas

January 29, 2010 at 4:10 pm |
  50. T.Thomas in Abilene Tx.

I live in Texas. Need I say anything more?

January 29, 2010 at 4:13 pm |
  51. Bizz, Quarryville, Pennsylvania

Yes I am, especially voting against the people who just took up space in Congress and voted the way their party wanted them to vote. To me that is an easy gig to have that any idiot could do. I want someone in their willing to work with the other side in solving problems. Someone who puts country first instead of politics first.

January 29, 2010 at 4:14 pm |
  52. JENNA

Are you willing to vote against the incumbent in this year's midterm election?

Since I have a Republican useless carpetbagger congressman, Tom McClintock, you bet I'll be voting against the incumbent.

However I have two strong Democratic incumbent senators that I will vote to keep them in power.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

January 29, 2010 at 4:26 pm |
  53. Jerry

Yes, I am EAGER to vote against them all. The problem is that while everyone hates congress, they still love their own representatives. Let's clean house first and let the lesson sink in. Then, if a few want to run again, let them first earn our trust.

January 29, 2010 at 4:28 pm |
  54. Randy from Salt Lake City

I am voting against all incumbents who put corporation profits and Israel above Americans.

January 29, 2010 at 4:31 pm |
  55. Zach - DC

Absolutely. However, I will, after doing my research and becoming an informed voter, cast my vote for the best person for the job. That's how it should be done by everyone every election. Party line voting, anti-incumbent voting, and the like are votes that lead to partisan divides. Don't be lazy. Do your homework. Its our fault that we have the mess of a political system that we do.

January 29, 2010 at 4:33 pm |
  56. Sandra in Temecula, CA

I will vote against every Democrat and Republican that supported that lousy health care bill.

January 29, 2010 at 4:33 pm |
  57. Ray in Nashville

Hell yes, Jack. In fact, if I could think of some way to do it, I'd vote against them twice!

January 29, 2010 at 4:35 pm |
  58. Karen, Idaho Falls

You bet I am!!!! The Idaho Republicans will NEVER cooperate. I'd love to see them defeated.

January 29, 2010 at 4:35 pm |
  59. mike ca

Oh Yes, Yes & Yes.
    Instead of taken care of business they run around on MILLIOM $$$$$$ junkets.
    They should have left their egos at home.

January 29, 2010 at 4:37 pm |
  60. Michael H. Mundt

I have not voted for any incumbent since 1984.

January 29, 2010 at 4:40 pm |
  61. Susan Frost

My incumbents are Republicans. Naturally,

January 29, 2010 at 4:41 pm |
  62. Michael Alexandria, VA

Only if I am running against him, which is unlikely since he is a friend of mine.

January 29, 2010 at 4:42 pm |
  63. Susan Frost

I always do – they're Republicans.

Susan
    Tuscaloosa AL

January 29, 2010 at 4:42 pm |
  64. Donald Ferguson

I routinely vote against incumbants. I'm a firm believer in term limits. A few years ago, even George Will was advocating term limits. Unfortunately, my vote doesn't count. I live in an area of South Carolina, where "knee-jerk" conservatives vote for any Republican the party puts on the ballot.

Fergie in Bluffton

January 29, 2010 at 4:43 pm |
  65. Linda

ONLY THE REPUBLICANS!!!!

Thank you.

Linda
    Sarasota, Florida

January 29, 2010 at 4:43 pm |
  66. Judy, Exeter, Ca

Only if the opposing candidate held similar views to mine. I would want to be certain the right wing did not gain escessive power in congress. If the above criteria were met, I probably would vote out the incumbent to send a message.

January 29, 2010 at 4:48 pm |
  67. Denny from Tacoma, WA

Yes I am. I want to get rid of the status quo and attempt to make politics a very poor career.

January 29, 2010 at 4:48 pm |
  68. kenneth, Dover,DE

Yes I am ready to vote against an incumbent but most voters will not. Most democrats in the senate would not even vote against the fed chairman Bernanke. Geco from wall street had it right, greed is good.

January 29, 2010 at 4:49 pm |
  69. DP

Of course I am; if the incumbent is not willing to do the bidding of the taxpayer(I remphasize "taxpayer"), he should be voted out. In my humble opinion, those who don't pay taxes or those that work for the government should not be able to vote.

January 29, 2010 at 4:52 pm |
  70. mdm

If you vote out one crooked politician (and they are all crooked) they will only be replaced with a new crooked politician.

January 29, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
  71. Bill Pratt

Not only willing, but determined
    Brick, NJ

January 29, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
  72. Maria

I am always willing to vote for the person who best represents, IMHO, my interests. I've crossed party lines, thrown away my vote, picked the least of two evils, but I've never, ever refused to exercise my right to vote. Many more people need to do something similar. As long as this is the electoral system of our country, then quit crying and go vote.

Maria
    Brunswick,MD

January 29, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  73. george

Yes. all of the "NO" people who are holding up everything in the government. They say no to us, we should return that no in a meaningful way.

January 29, 2010 at 4:56 pm |
  74. Wisconsin Don

Please don't refer to them as incumbents.
    Rather, refer to them as the incompetents

Wisconsin Don
    Racine Wi

January 29, 2010 at 4:57 pm |
  75. adem, oakland California.

I would rather stay home than voting Republican!

January 29, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
  76. david doherty

YES, YES, and god yes, I don't care if it's somebody I've never heard of and they stand for everything I don't believe in! It's time to end these life long do nothings. Maybe something will actually get done.
    Dave from peterborough, NH.

January 29, 2010 at 4:59 pm |
  77. Ann from Hampton, New Jersey

You bet!!! I voted against Corzine in New Jersey and have all intentions of voting against Lautenberg and Menendez. They and their politics have got to go!!! Us Independents will see that it does happen. I hope Lou Dobbs runs. Should be very interesting.

January 29, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
  78. Jack Martin in Boynton Beach Florida

I haven't missed a vote since 1952. I voted for and against incumbents in the past. If I get to vote again my vote will be against all incumbents.

January 29, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
  79. Monroe Bella Vista, AR

Very definately - ALL OF THEM.

January 29, 2010 at 5:02 pm |
  80. Adam Simi Valley, CA

None of the people in Washington are my guys. I have never voted for a single one and don't plan to start now. I wish more people would wake up, but it won't happen. Everyone agrees that Congress is a bunch of wasteful, thieving, sacks, but they think their guy is the exception and not the problem. Therefore nothing changes. Tools like Rangel, Byrd, Thurmond, Kennedy, Reid, Dodd, Schumer, and the like are all allowed to stay in office until the grave. Term limits is the only way to change the status quo.

January 29, 2010 at 5:04 pm |
  81. Darren

Not if it means voting the 'blank check' Republicans back in office who all turned a blindeye to approaching financial crisis.

January 29, 2010 at 5:08 pm |
  82. Joe CE

Yes and hope everyone is but before they do, I hope they take a good look at the opponent.

January 29, 2010 at 5:09 pm |
  83. Ken in Pinon Hills California

Why vote? The Supreme Court just turned over the elections to big money.

January 29, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
  84. frank

Only if he's a Republican. They don't deserve any power. Look at the mess they leave. Its fitting they have an Elephant for a party symbol. Circuses are nice, but after the parade, leaves a lot of poop to scoop. And past administrations have had a lot of poopy elephants, starting with Reagan, though Nixon wasn't bad either.

January 29, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  85. paul

Yes and I will. I do not care what party or what they say. The fraud that is happening now needs to be put to a stop. Look at the bank bail out no jobs lost there and now a bonus for them.
    Only the voters can do this!!! Ames Iowa

January 29, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  86. J Atlanta

Not only willing, but it's my rock solid, and perhaps ongoing plan.

January 29, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  87. Katja in Florida

You betcha, Jack! I do it each and everytime, provided the new candidate isn't a whiner. I believe in term limits.

January 29, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  88. Michael Roepke - Dallas, TX

I'm a democrat in Texas. Of course I am willing to vote against the incumbent.

January 29, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  89. Kim in Dodge City, KS

Republican, Democrat or Independant, it really doesn't matter because they all exist solely for the purpose of keeping the other guy from producing any results. The President short-changed all Americans when he failed to admonish Congress on behalf of the nation that he has sworn an oath to protect. Congress has become our enemy and we need someone who can see them for what they are and take action, if not the President then maybe it should be us.

January 29, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  90. Lance, Ridgecrest, Ca

Jack, I'm from California and I guarantee that Barbara Boxer has lied to me for the last time. I will do anything I can to ensure she does not go back to the Senate. I just wish I lived in Pelosi's district so I could work against her also. By the way, if I am still in California when she comes up, Diane Feinstein is also a blatant liar, and I will work hard against her re-election. Will I vote against an incumbent? You betcha!!

January 29, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  91. Jim in Alabama

Damn right I am Jack. I sick and tired of all the bickering, posturing, and back room deals made in Washington and of those politicians who ignore the will or the American people in lieu of the special interests that put money in their pockets to have a career job. I say fire them all.

January 29, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  92. Larry, Ohio

Jack,I am willing to vote for the best candidate,incumbent or not!

January 29, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  93. GWTripp, Mch'sburg, PA

I am a Pennsylvanian who has always tried to vote for the "best" candidate regardless of Party affiliation, but no more. While I trust that Todd Platts is a good man and I have supported him in the past, I must vote for a Democrat simply so something can get done in Washington. This deadlock must be broken. America must move forward or we will surely experience hardships far greater than we as a nation have ever felt. The Republican Party is destroying the middle-class. All of their efforts have been to improve the bottom line of Big Business while impoverishing the rest of the nation. I'll say it again. The Republican Party is working for Big Business. For this Republican Party Corporate Profit wins out over human dignity.

January 29, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  94. Wayne from New Brunswick Canada

Who gives a crap what the political party is? I'll vote for the guy that is buttering my bread.

January 29, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  95. Alex in Seattle

No, not while they are doing what I want. The longer my elected officials are in Congress, the more power they have. Term limits are too simplistic a solution. I consider elections sufficient to weed out the ones who need to go. As for a Democratic "bloodbath" you predict in 2010, I'm hopeful more tea party conservatives split the right so the democrat wins. Sarah Palin is already in trouble for endorsing McCain in his Arizona run. What a circus!

January 29, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  96. Butch in SC

Absolutely! Especially if they got voted into office due to clever script writers or other video, audio tricks who were able to falsely enhance the Candidate's capabilities. He'd come off looking and sounding so much smarter and more capable than he actually is. However, he'd be in over-his-head and unable to handle the job. Sound familiar???

There are MANY politicians out there who fit that description, and I would – and DO – vote them OUT when I recognize one.

January 29, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  97. RJ from Lake,MI

Its more like voting for the lesser of 2 evils! I say fire them all and make it a lot easier to recall them. No more guaranteed benefits for out-going congress/man/woman! Finally a new agency dedicated to investigating all members of congress for any reason, if you have nothing to hide from the American people then you have nothing to worry about.

January 29, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  98. Gail, Plano,Texas

I would vote against the incumbent in a NY minute, Jack? However, I live in TX. My vote does not count here unless it is GOP. I would vote John Cornyn and Kay Hutchison right out of office. And that congressman from the southern part of the state Louis Somebody, too. But to no avail. I have been here for 30 years and the only decent Governor we have had was Ann Richatds, a democrat. All the others were real losers. So do not look for any changes in TX any time soon!

January 29, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  99. Ron

Some years ago, Jim Easom of San Francisco radio fame coined the term "DRIP"..Don't Return Incumbent Politicians. Great idea. The current situation in congress bears him out. Those in power the longest are the most corrupt, and the hardest to defeat at election time.

Ron Frum
    Ehrengerg, AZ

January 29, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  100. Max Fairview, Texas

I plan on it. Not that I will be voting anything better into office but at least it will be someone new. I figure it will take the new guy/gal a few years to learn the ropes before they become a good thieving politician so there is some hope to get a few things done before they become accomplished at bilking the American people for all we are worth.

January 29, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  101. Kris in Ohio

Politician as a career needs to be abolished. I will definitely be voting out the incumbents who represent me but without some kind of national movement, it won't work.

January 29, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  102. David M.

Sure Jack;

If the bum I voted for in the last election turns out to be a disappointment, I'll vote for a different bum in the next one.

Statesboro, Ga.

January 29, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  103. Willard Gatzke

Is the Pope Catholic?

Will
    Canon City, CO

January 29, 2010 at 5:57 pm |
  104. Jerry Jacksonville, Fl.

Hell yes the jerks we have in office haven't accomplished a damn thing except stuff their pockets with money from the lobbyist. What a sad state of affairs this country is in. There was a time in our past when the people we elected would at least try somewhat to help the people, not anymore, it is all about themselves and how much they can steal from the people.

January 29, 2010 at 5:57 pm |
  105. Paulette in Dallas,PA

Yes I am and plan to do so.

January 29, 2010 at 5:57 pm |
  106. Dennis North Carolina

yes and would like to ask them to return all the money they were paid while in office for the lack of work and the failure of our economy and the lives we lost in the war for oil.

January 29, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  107. Mr. D

What a novel idea. Let's throw the bums out. Let's get rid of anyone that is not working for the true good of the country-politics be dammed.

January 29, 2010 at 6:01 pm |
  108. EugeneWiese

Moon plans? How abouy trying to get bipartisan support to correct the problems we have on this planet. Gene

January 29, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  109. Linda in Arizona

Just because someone has been in Congress for a term or more doesn't automatically mean he/she should be swept away. That is a totally stupid idea. What makes you think that because someone is new to DC, that they won't be as corruptible as anyone else, possibly more so? That is illogical, factually unsupportable, short-sighted thinking. I will vote for the Democrat no matter how long they've been there because I hate everything the republican party stands for, or should I say, stands against. Vote against my incumbent senators, mccain and kyl? You bet your ASS!!

January 29, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
  110. yevrah kahn

Personally I feel all of our present Dems and some Rep. should be voted out of office. We the people need to change the term limits for congressmen and women to two term l and they can not change the amount of years that are already in place.

January 29, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
  111. vern-anaheim,ca

yes,if i thought his opponent was superior to him or her

January 29, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  112. EugeneWiese

I'm a yellow dog Democrat. I've voted for every Democrat from FDR to the present. I'm not voting as an independent. If the incumbent is a Dem. I will vote for them,unless there is a better Democrat in the running. Gene

January 29, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  113. Laura

Independent here. I vote for who I think is the most capable candidate who will do the most good for the people and land he/she represents . Of course I'm willing to vote against the incumbent.
    Laura

January 29, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
  114. M. White

I am so angry with some of the democratic Congressmen and flabergasted by the Republicans refusal to govern for ALL Americans that I would vote for Mickey Mouse before I'd vote for any of those self-serving idiots, self righteous idiots!!!

Health care is extremely important to me. The Republican's idea to reform is to allow Americans to cross state lines to buy health insurance. What would happen to the state laws in place that regulate health insurance coverage for a variety of illness , Serious Mental Illness (SMI) to name one or prompt pay to providers?

I certainly would vote for term limits. Representatives and senators forget WHY they were elected.

January 29, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
  115. Jack - Lancaster, Ohio

Jack:

Citizens have a duty to the constitution too. It is incumbent upon us to vote them out ! I heard that Nancy Pelosi wants a larger plane with more fuel capacity, I wish I could vote her out (among many). Of course, we got trouble right here in our own "River city" and it ain't about music.

January 29, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  116. Independent in Michigan

Whatever happened to voting for the candidate who best represents your views, regardless of party or incumbency?

January 29, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  117. Jim - Michigan

Am I willing? I am planning on it, looking forward to it. I only hope the rest of those sold a bill of goods in November 2008 feel the same way and that they voice their anger in November 2010.

January 29, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  118. kathryn

I hear Pres O offering a hand of bipartisanship to the Publicans from day one!

They choose to turn away from that hand and come out moaning like a woman in labour.

Now that Massachussettes pretty boy has won, let us see if he has more that what was in his hand in the magazine spread to take to washington or not.

The Publicans are wicked liars who care about their mistresses mor e than they do Americans!

January 29, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  119. Janne from NC

Not vote against THE incumbent but I will vote against ALL incubates. Let’s vote all the bums out and start from scratch. Really, how much worse could it be?

January 29, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  120. Scott Stodden

Yes Jack that's what Im doing next week in the Illinois Primaries being held on Febuary 2, 2010 and Illinois is so excited. Our current governor in Illinois is the former Liuetenant Governor who took over for Rod Blagojevich and since he took over he let prisoners out of prisons early and about 150 of them released went back after committing more crimes, then he wants to raise taxes on the middle class in Illinois. So yeah Jack Im still voting Democratic but Im voting against pretty much every incumbent so Illinois can get the change that we so desperatly need and deserve, we're tired of corrupted politicians in our state.

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

January 29, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  121. Ann from Charleston S.C.

You better believe I would if I had the opportunity.. The incumbent in the House seat for my district is retiring. One of SC's senators was just reelected in '08, and I voted for him because his opponent was an idiot. I don't think the other senator is up this year, but I'm just itching to get him out of office.

January 29, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  122. Allen in Hartwell GA

Jack, I've been voting against incumbents for several elections now, and I see no reason to stop now. If we could rotate every member of Congress in the next six years I know we would get a better government that would be more responsive to the electorate.

January 29, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  123. Steve Burns

I just sent this out to my email friends.
    We've all passed the emails around calling to not vote for incumbants. Now we can show support for this in our own back yard in Texas. It may not be the shot that MA launched and may only be a BB gun shot but we can send a message to incumbants by voting in the republican primary not for Perry or Kay Baily, but for Medina. I don't know about you all but once I started seeing the same old political BS with Rick and Kay doing there political spin against each other and them answering in half truths, if they even answered at all instead of talking around the question, it made me realise that nothing is going to change unless we help make it happen. We want people to represent us and not themselves so they can keep there jobs. If a politician represents our wishes they will have a job and won't have to deal with spin and half truths.

January 29, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  124. June

Willing to vote against the incumbent, heck Jack I am eager to vote against the incumbent. We need a total house cleaning. These clowns are walking advertisements for term limits.

January 29, 2010 at 6:34 pm |
  125. Chuck Werner

The currently elected have demonstrated their own interests are above ours–those who elected them. Can a bunch of new-comers do a worse job? Probably not and maybe we would be surprised with people who actually listen to our wishes. Why did voting for the best person get replaced by voting against the worst person? It is time to go green and recycle congress–vote against the incumbents.

DeLand, Florida

January 29, 2010 at 6:34 pm |
  126. John Bossen

Vote against the Messiah? A sacrilege yes, but the Obamination has begun. Unless he's out, we will be a communist country in his second term.
    Palmyra, NJ

January 29, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  127. daniel

No, but I will be looking hard. I wont be voting republican though.

January 29, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
  128. Chris in Philadelphia

Absolutely. Vote the bums out and start over. And if the replacements suck vote them out too.

January 29, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  129. Steve Batts Edna Kansas

Only the ones in Kansas Jack. They are all republicans blocking any chance my insurance will ever get better. They are all true teabaggers, and have to go,

January 29, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  130. William Courtland

What is the value of an informed vote verses a majority vote when the expectation of, and in expectation, of service is waged and weighted?

I do not know a Senator, I do not know a Candidate for Senator, no Candidate works near my office to chance a meeting at a pub or diner...

I do not hang around the capitol building of any State which will have a Senator in election. I would not chance a meeting with his businesses at that Capitol. I have no reference to cast a vote, and the expectation of media(and the proper position of the papparazzi) are not truly there to inform me of that true character(they(the papparazzi) instead attack the media artist,) while most newsmedia just runs the commercials, and then talks about them, or waits for an safe interview.

What is the value of an informed vote... well it is not even in account in the Representative anymore, not in Canada or in the U.S... The representative is meant to come from the sense of a community(about the size of a region which uses three or four high schools depending upon their size. Three or four Highschools one Federal member of Congress: represenative elected and only paid when you bug him for it... or called upon by the Fed for some services or judgement call... The respect of the peoples opinion then involved in Government and thus called democracy...

January 29, 2010 at 6:40 pm |
  131. Michael from Ft. Hood, Texas

If that incumbent has a record of voting against healthcare reform, reliief for the middle class, perpetuating a war we cannot win, taxing the rich and corporations who outsource jobs, or anyone who puts the needs ot the few over the needs of the many, then I voice too my fellow citizens a resounding "YES!"

January 29, 2010 at 6:40 pm |
  132. A. Smith, Oregon

Jack, I am more than willing to vote against ALL Republican incumbents, and help to defeat each and every one of them!

January 29, 2010 at 6:47 pm |
  133. Bob Playa Union Argentina

To answer that I ask, Is Pelosi a Democate?? Is our debt massive? And then there is that question about the bear and the Pope also.

January 29, 2010 at 6:50 pm |
  134. Brian (SC)

I've done it several times. I laugh when someone proposes term limits to be passed as law. Why? It exists already, but most people are morons and just push the button with the name they recognize. Politicians prey on our stupidity. If everyone ignored the flashy TV ads and did some research on candidates the money would go away and we would elect better candidates. Aw, if only we lived in Oz.

January 29, 2010 at 6:54 pm |
  135. Rita, LA Independent

Yes, be it Male/Female, DEM or Reb if they are not representing the issues and concerns which the majority of their districts voters
    want represented. It is time the CITIZENS are truly represented not the Pres., or Congress interest, No more big Corp. Lobbyiest, or Unions interest first. The Constitution First!!

January 29, 2010 at 6:56 pm |
  136. Mike Alder

Not only am I willing but I am planning on it! As you said, term limits is the answer but that will never happen. After all, this is about "them" and what "they" can get out of it. We are just too "uninformed" to really know what this country needs.
    Out with the lot of them!

January 29, 2010 at 6:57 pm |
  137. Greg, Ontario

I'm not American but as a friend I would advise any American to remember one thing. Democrats are open minded and willing to try anything that benifits the country but Republicans are all the same and they are all close minded. So if you want another George Bush and everything that went with it go ahead and vote for the GOP.

January 29, 2010 at 6:59 pm |
  138. Anne -- Sulphur, LA

I certainly plan on voting against the junior senator from my state. He has (in my opinion) proven that he has not voted or acted in our best interests and needs to be booted out.

January 29, 2010 at 7:01 pm |
  139. Leigh Halan

You are wrong! I believe we can pass Term Limits, but it would take a state-by-state referendum (since we don't have national referenda in this country). It would take a good deal of organization, but–if we can't do it now–we'll never have the motivation! This government is out of control. They are working for their party leaders and their jobs, forgetting most of the time that they work for....US!

January 29, 2010 at 7:02 pm |
  140. Jim

Yes...all of them!!! They are useless!

January 29, 2010 at 7:03 pm |
  141. Mari Fernandez, Utah

Yes, Jack, I am willing and able to vote out incumbents. I plan to vote against "blue-dog" Rep. Jim Matheson, who likes to call himself a Democrat but is really a Republican! I will vote for the Libertarian candidate, this November. I have voted against Orrin Hatch & Bob Bennet each time. Term limits are needed, and we, the People, have that power!

I am a registered Independent, campaigned & support President Obama.

January 29, 2010 at 7:03 pm |
  142. Donnie

I think every encumbent should be voted against and
    get some new blood, to work with. I also think if this could
    catch on and continue the world would be a better place
    in (10) ten years of no one in either house had more than
    (2) terms office

Donnie
    S.E.Oklahoma

January 29, 2010 at 7:07 pm |
  143. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I'm willing to vote out every Democratic incumbent. Leiberman can stay. First he's an Independent; and second he drives liberals nuts.

January 29, 2010 at 7:11 pm |
  144. Shane

President Obama is out of his mind if he thinks the Republicans want to work with him in any way unless he is cutting taxes for the rich.

January 29, 2010 at 7:15 pm |
  145. Jo

I will vote for an incumbent as long as it isn't a Republican. We sure won't get change with them in office. They promise to take care of our health care, tax cuts etc. but the only one they take care of is themselves and the corporations, like the ones that took our jobs out of our country.
    i will only be voting for Democrats forever more. I would vote for a three legged dog before a Republican.

January 29, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  146. ronvan

Hey, Jack: Van here, Columbus, GA: What I would love to see is if nothing changes between the 2 parties, right now they cannot even agree on what time it is, that EVERY citizen would vote ALL of these kids out and start all over. How worse off could we be?

January 29, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
  147. Bob Hoyt, Atlanta

I believe Pelosi and Reid are the cause of most of the president's problems. I wonder if the republicans and the president might be able to work together in a civilized manner if those two were out of the picture.

January 29, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
  148. George,New Jersey

Jack
    Beware of the Independent voters, they will throw Democrats as well as Republicans out. Let the people take back goverment and throw all of our bums out.

January 29, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
  149. Ed from California

Yes, if they're not doing the job. Here in No. Ca I have a great Rep (George Miller) and U.S.Senators (Feinstein and Boxer). I have retiree medical(free to me, worked in the private world), but health care "insurance" reform is surely needed. Employers can't give out raises, the insurance premium are too high. We need banking regulations to be reinstalled, The Glass-Steagall Act. We need strong leadership to help stop the loss of jobs to China and other foreign lands. Repeal NAFTA (yeah, good luck). We have to get back to basics.
    The U.S. sad to say is sick, critical condition. We need strong leaders who will put country first (meaning us), than their own agenda, lobbyist money, power trips, ego, bank accounts, lobbyist agenda's. We elect these employees to watch our backs. Not stab us all in the back.

January 29, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
  150. Jeff in Minnesota

If we follow the Bush doctirine, you do not talk to anyone. So, why not try talking. The old adage is very true, talk is cheap. And it might actually lead somewhere.

As you accurately point out, we the public also need to embrace change and possibly enact our own term limits. We have created a 'political class' that is no longer directly beholden to us. No one should be able to spend their life as a politician. It is those elitist politicians that pander to our requests to get re-elected and then actually deliver very little in return. But they keep getting re-elected because it is always the other person's politician that is the problem, not mine.

We need to wake up and clean house. But in order to do that, we all need to admit that we are the problem and that we are the ones that need to solve the problem by getting fresh blood into the political institutions.

January 29, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  151. Fran, Michigan

Not only am I willing to, I probably will. It's time to get the Republicans and Democrats out of control and bring in some Independents with new ideas. They think this can only be a two party system. Let's show them that they will not continue to be rewarded for shoddy performance!!!

January 29, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  152. Marvin Lee-Arcadia, California

It's good to vote against the incumbents because it allows newcomers to have an once-in-a-lifetime experience in lawmaking. It's always necessary to have new faces in Congress because new voices will be heard. Therefore, it will be possible to pass future bills into law with fresh legislative talent.

January 29, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  153. JJ in the Midwest

With the new 24 hour instant news and social networks, the political parties better learn that things will change very quickly and that any party loyality is becoming very fleeting. The incumbent GOP and Dems better solve some problems together or they will go down together.

January 29, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
  154. David

Not only am I willing I fully intend to

Dave
    Laguna Niguel

January 29, 2010 at 7:36 pm |
  155. Terry C. in Illinois

Who to vote for, which is the lesser of the two evils?
    Republicans who outsource our jobs / medical coverage to foreign countries and give everything to the rich or Democrats who will turn our Healthcare into a Canada style taxing nightmare and .

GOP gave tax cuts to millionaires – Dem's will remove it.
    GOP gave tax cuts to companies who outsource – Dem's will remove it
    GOP support company off-shore tax-havens – Dem's will remove it
    GOP supports CEO's getting millions in bonuses – Dem's stop not.
    GOP will outsource Social Security to private-sector – Dem's will not.
    GOP supports forcing a woman to have a baby – Dem's do not.
    GOP supports companies donating to campaigns unlimited money for elections – Dem's do not.
    GOP supports torture of prisoners – Dem's do not
    OR
    Dem's support illegals getting amnesty – GOP do not.
    Dem's support gay marriage – GOP do not.
    Dem's support limiting guns for felons – GOP do not.
    Dem's climate change laws – GOP do not
    Dem's support cap and trade laws – GOP do not.
    Dem's support workers rights – GOP do not.

So who is the lesser of the two evils ?

January 29, 2010 at 7:38 pm |
  156. Docb

Already have, more than once...Few out here are 'straight party ticket' people. More a turning away from party orgs and back to the candidate of choice that shares our values

Independents -the largest growing body- do not believe in holding their noses!

January 29, 2010 at 7:42 pm |
  157. Chad from Los Angeles

In the Senate, yes! They do nothing!

Get someon in who will actually improve our nation. Get back to the good times before Reagan ruined it with his Aristocratic policies, which have been harming the country since the 80's!

January 29, 2010 at 7:44 pm |
  158. bill

YES YES YES Everyone I can vote out is gone Dem. or Rep. Dose not mean I will vote for the other party just means if you are in office now you are gone. I might put someone from your same paerty in ,but you are gone

January 29, 2010 at 7:49 pm |
  159. Steve R.

In a heart beat!! They all lie to get in office, then put their hand out to everyone with a dollar to but their vote. They love the power and instantly get greedy when they see all the money available to them. They don't care about the people they are supposed to represent. They all need to go and we really need term limits ASAP!!

January 29, 2010 at 7:51 pm |
  160. Brian

Voting out one party just to bring in the other equally corrupt one. Does this flip-flop hot potatoe game really improve anything?

January 29, 2010 at 7:54 pm |
  161. Marco

when i vote i will vote for the right party and not just my fellow GOP's.

January 29, 2010 at 8:04 pm |
  162. Marco in San Diego, CA

When I vote my vote will be for the party with the better and right motives for ower country and not just my fllow GOP's.

January 29, 2010 at 8:07 pm |
  163. LYNDA

Hooray for you Mr. Cafferty. I was wondering if there were any true and unbiased reprters still around. You tell it like it is. I will be watch CNN more now to see if there are anymore like you around who see what is really happening to this country and the American peoples freedoms. God Bless you. I hope there are more like you at CNN who are not afraid to tell it like it is.

January 29, 2010 at 8:08 pm |
  164. Ken in NC

I told my 5th grade daughter that she will get my vote in the 2010 election. I think she is more open and qualified than the people in office now.

January 29, 2010 at 8:09 pm |
  165. Pat NJ

Next election I will vote for an independent. Im done with the Dems and Reps. Both parties are too busy butting heads and dont get anywhere. We need new representation in the House and Congress not affliated with either party.

Its time to do something constructive for the American People.

January 29, 2010 at 8:10 pm |
  166. Ken Keeton

I usually vote straight democrat and have only deviated once or twice. From now on I consider myself independent and will vote on person by person basis. The republicans seem like they are all bought and sold to the corporations... and many of the dems also. After the recent court ruling I don't know if my vote will even matter anymore. though.

January 29, 2010 at 8:12 pm |
  167. Ken Keeton

One more thing... maybe George Carlin is right and if you vote then you don't have any reason to complain. It's totally possible that this is all a game and all of congress is totally controlled by a few fat cats.

January 29, 2010 at 8:13 pm |
  168. tony

How's this Jack? THROW THE BUMS OUT!!!!!! Does that sound willing enough? I don't care which political persausion you are you cannot say that they have done crap for the average citizen over the past 10 years.

January 29, 2010 at 8:15 pm |
  169. Greg Palsbo

I'll vote for you Jack!

January 29, 2010 at 8:16 pm |
  170. Bradley S. (Knoxville, TN)

NO, This reign has not been given a chance at all, so change is unnecessary right now!

January 29, 2010 at 8:17 pm |
  171. Gary Welch

Absolutely. I have been suggesting this for a year. What a message to Washington. Imagine what it would do to the seniority system. Let's do it.

January 29, 2010 at 8:17 pm |
  172. Dianne

I will not vote against some one because they have been in office. It depends on how well they gave done their job and if they are working for America and not for the party or themselves.

January 29, 2010 at 8:18 pm |
  173. David Sisters OR

Not me Jack my Reps are perfect–they do everything I want them to. I am positive they dont take money under the table, their wifes love them to death and they never kick the dog.

January 29, 2010 at 8:18 pm |
  174. Ed in CO

Our state rep became an "independent", I will be voting for her. I only wish a viable independent would run at the federal, I would love to have an alternate to the D and R gridlock.

January 29, 2010 at 8:18 pm |
  175. Mark from Naperville

Yes, I always am. The problem is the idiot I am voting against now was once "supposedly" the candidate of change. He/she got there, got was corrupted by the power and special interests, and then became the incumbent I now despise. It is a sick little cycle that has infected both parties and has no real answer in terms of resolution.

January 29, 2010 at 8:18 pm |
  176. Mike, Albuquerque, NM

I did that in the last election. I put Tom Udall into the senate to replace Pete Dominecci. I put Martin Hienrich in the house to replace Heather Wilson. I think I will keep them.

January 29, 2010 at 8:18 pm |
  177. Bruce A.

It really does not matter who we vote for. The Congress is corrupt to the core and OWNED by corporate money. Our system is fundamentally broken....sadly to say.

January 29, 2010 at 8:18 pm |
  178. susan

Yes, and I plan to.

January 29, 2010 at 8:18 pm |
  179. G. Davis

Not only am I willing to vote against an incumbent, I feel I MUST vote against the incumbent. . .

January 29, 2010 at 8:18 pm |
  180. Brian

I'm ready to vote against the incumbents that represent me, just on general principles.

January 29, 2010 at 8:18 pm |
  181. John

My criteria for voting against a candidate is, "Is he an incumbent?"

January 29, 2010 at 8:18 pm |
  182. Wyatt Bryson

I'm willing to vote against all incumbents in the mid-term elections from the city level all the way up to the national level. i'm willing to make it a blanket thing took, no matter my party affiliation or how i feel about the incumbent on a personal level. let's send a message. i hate when politicians get re-elected just because they've always been there. i think of robert byrd and strom thurmond.

January 29, 2010 at 8:18 pm |
  183. babs

Absolutely, especially those who DO NOT have the PEOPLE's interest at heart. We are tired of the same old Washington politicians who believe their seat is glued to their butts and we are here to unglue them and set them FREE.

This country needs A CHANGE that matters!

January 29, 2010 at 8:19 pm |
  184. Jim from Auburn Wa

My plan is to always vote out the incumbent. I trust none of them. They have shown us each day they can not get together and do what we sent them there to do. Why are we paying these people? Can we add a performance pay plan for them? No performance – no pay!

January 29, 2010 at 8:19 pm |
  185. David

Of course I am! Democrat or Republican it doesn't matter. They are all doing a terrible job.

January 29, 2010 at 8:19 pm |
  186. Haydn Primrose

Are you serious? Is this really a legitimate question? I mean come on who would seriously vote for someone that they don't agree with just because they got elected previously? I could not care less if you are in office or not in office, my vote goes to the person whom I agree with not who happens to hold a seat.

January 29, 2010 at 8:19 pm |
  187. Steve Menikheim

Yes I would and will. In the mean time all the incumbents should be furloughed until the are ready to work together for our good.

January 29, 2010 at 8:19 pm |
  188. Joseph Kraatz, Oceanside, CA

What the hell difference does it make whether they are an incumbent or not. They are all part of the prostitute elite. Once in office they are controlled by big money: read: health care, insurance, corporations, ad infinitum. We voters are just useless little pawns twisting in the wind.

January 29, 2010 at 8:19 pm |
  189. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Before voting, why not demand that businesses and special interests cannot have the privilege to fund any political party and any politicians! Why not Demand change now! Why not be a proactive citizen now and not just on voting day!

January 29, 2010 at 8:19 pm |
  190. Martin in Shoreline, WA

I've been saying this for years now, Jack. I vote against incumbents in nearly every election, But there are far too many partisan pinheads that have been created by Democrats and Republicans. It is time to do away with political parties altogether.

Take a look at my book, "The Cold Civil War: Our Divided House is Falling." (Feel free to edit that out, if you do not wish to gtive me a free plug.) I take a close look at the artificial divides that have been created simply to distract us, while they take apart our Constitution.

January 29, 2010 at 8:19 pm |
  191. Rob from Minnesota

Yes, without a doubt. Unfortunately the Republicans will take it as a 'madate' and continue the disfunction.

January 29, 2010 at 8:19 pm |
  192. Ed in Iowa

Geez Jack! The way you worded your little diatribe you may as well have ended with "this question sponsored by America's Oil & Gas Companies, Clean Coal, and the GOP" – that'd be legal now, too, since the Supreme Court sold us out. For what it's worth, I plan to vote for one incumbent, and against another. I'll vote for Harkin, a Democrat, and against Latham, a Republican.

193. Manuel

It is silly to vote against the incumbent becasue you think govt is broken. Let's throw the baby out wiht the bathwater while you are at it. The election process requires sound analysis and selection of the candidate that most closely defends the issues you deem sacred, necessary or just rational. No on should be encourgaed to vote out incumbents in general just for change. It would actually be disastrous. We might as well have arevolution. Cafferty your rhetoric just went extreme and irrational. watch out you could be dangerous!

194. Carol P

Yes and will til we get those de

195. Gail

Phoenix

I always look at the background and experience before voting for any candidate and that is important to make sure that we are getting the best person. However, I do believe we need to start a national campaign for two term limits for the House and Senate. Afterall, we do this for the highest position of the land, add Congress also.

BTW Jack, can you maintain civility in your questions? The referral to the Illinois appointee as a "moron" is wholly inappropriate.

196. Matt Watson, Des Plaines, IL

Allof then should be voted out, except Ron Paul

197. Donna

You bet we'll vote against incumbents. We voted them in to work for us, tto look after our best interests. If they don't fo the job, they definitely should be voted out. In the private sector, if you don't perform, you're fired. The same should apply to the elected officials.

Donna
    Marion, IL

198. Brad Snyder

Be careful about voting out experience. In the State of Michigan we have term limits and the entire State congress is filled with inexperienced people. Running a government is like running a company, you need a mix of experience and new blood. Vote for the best person for the job and don't just randomly vote your frustrations.

199. John Wenger

I would vote against an incumbent if they were not doing there job, but thats because I have political efficacy. Term limits is a bad idea, I live in California and we've been in turmoil ever since we implemented term limits. When you enact term limits it turns into a game of political musical chairs and everyone is so scared about hurting their political careers that they vote on party lines and will not be bi-partisan on any issue. There are many great legislators in California who were doing a great job, but term limits kicked them out and now surprise surprise they are LOBBYIST!!! Term limits is a gateway to the infamous revolving door.

200. Larry Christian

Yes!!!! Macain is runnuing and after his really poor judgement with Palin, I don't trust him.

201. sal

Term limits for all incumbents are the only thing that can save this country from total destruction.

202. Joe White

Not only will I not vote for an incumbant, but coming from Illinois, I will not vote for any person with "machine" ties in this state either!

203. Gary Miller

It is my plan! It is time to clean house. There has never been a greater disconnect between what is loosely termed our gonvernment and the American formerly middle class. Career politicians are too distantly removed from the realities of life here in America. If they had to rely upon the kind of "Health Care plan" The rest of us have too. Changes would happen overnight. Alas change must wait for the next election and every one there after.

204. Thea

I will not only vote against Chuck-kill-gramma-Grassley but I will also work hard to get the first woman to represent Iowa in Congress

205. Sam

Get rid of Republicans, the party of NO. We need to have our rep's solving our problems. thats why I left the Republican Party since they will allways put politics ahead of Country. Remember we are in this mess because Bush and Republicans that controlled the Congress 12 out of the last 16 years.

206. david

If you are not an incumbent you have to have the faith of the party that you will be their puppet in order to get the nomination, usually non incumbents also have substantial family or business connections with the party. Doesn't matter in a two party system.

207. Jim

I will count it a pleasure to vote against every incumbent if for no other reason than that they are an incumbent.

208. David - Austin, Tx

Of course I am and WILL! Democrat or Republican it doesn't matter. They are all doing a terrible job.

209. Maureen Sullivan

Yes, I will vote against both incumbents regardless of their political party.
    When the elected officials who supposedly represent me do not listen to what the majority of voters in this state are telling them.
    They need to go.
    Hopefully whoever replaces them will learn that they serve at the will of the people.
    Listen to the majority not the minority.
    "We the people" have the power to put America back on track.

210. Melinda

Any politician that works for corporations, self and party harder than they work for those who put them in office need to go! So, my answer is a resounding yes, yes, yes!

211. Rich

In a New York second!!!! For years I've wondered who are the bigger idiots, the politicians we re-lect or the voters who vote for them and keep sending them back!!!
    Rich

212. Patricia

Absolutely. I did in MA and will do it again. If the other person is more qualified and has a better plan, why not? It shouldn't matter how long you have held a position as long as you are still representing the people.

213. Rosanne Bono

Yes, if it's a decent democrat. I'm not willing to vote back into office the party that for eight years ran amuck. Come on. How quickly the American people forget the administration and party that got us into this mess in the first place. Voters can't see any farther than their nose when it comes to logical thinking in voting for a candidate – it's a knee-jerk reaction to whatever and whomever is in office at the moment. I think the Dems have a lot of re-grouping to do, but I'll still bank on them first over the Repubs to fight for the common man.

214. Stefan- Oakland, CA

Absolutely not! As much as the Democrats disappointed me last year I know that the alternative would have made things worse just like they did in the prior eight years. The Democrats started off great with the stimulus bill but when it came down to Health Care, they dropped the ball. I will vote for the Democrats in the next election but hopefully their defeat in Massachusetts will be their wake up call.

215. Ed Norton

Absolutely. Regardless of party we should vote out incumbents at every election. This would cut down on back room deals, the secret relationships these folks have to help themselves at our expense, and it would give more Americans the opportunity to serve their Country.

216. Kim

Not only will I vote against incumbants but I made a written list during the year of each one that let me down to make sure that I would not forget to vote against them. In 2009 I promised myself that I would remember their transgressions and not forgive them. No more. I am done playing their game.

217. Jeanne, Boca Raton, Fl

we all should vote against the incumbents in Washington You are correct that that would definitely make a CHANGE I also agree that no politician should hold an office longer thatn 4 years. Can we protest loud enough to get that changed as well? Time will tell. Also they should not be allowed to give themselves a raise every time they feel like it. Being on Social Security I wish I could do the same. Maybe change the law that everytime Congress gets a raise Seniors do as well Do you think that would work?

January 29, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  218. Lisa

Americans are like Dory in election season. The whole world knows that Americans will dodge in the direction the advertisers choose. Thanks to the Supreme court, this question should be sent directly to the top 5 businesses in the US.

January 29, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  219. Silas Kain - Boston

As a Scott Brown voter, I'll continue voting against incumbents regardless of party. NBC only gave Conan 7 months, that's longer than the American people have given Barack Obama. And yet we still send the same lobbyist purchased legislators back to Washignton every two years. If they won't give us term limits, all we have to do is fire them. I know I'm sick of seeing the faces of Pelosi, Reid, Boehner, Cantor and Spector just to name a few. Forget Clinton or Bush fatigue - I've got Congressional Fatigue.

January 29, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  220. LINDON

yes Jack,
    but let's not forget the American people are interested in who actually went to Washington to work for them, not what party.

January 29, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  221. Ruthie Benjamin

You betcha!! I've been voicing that for some time now. Get the old buggers out. How can it be that we keep people in our congress who have to be wheeled in (at a very advanced age) or others who basically served so long they passed away in office.

We need fresh minds in our congress – I'm in my 60s and have been following politics for some time. It's disgusting to me that our politicians are often more concerned with campaigning than for doing the jobs we elect them to do and act like schoolyard bullies. We need term limits!!

January 29, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  222. Chris DeJong

The electorate needs to gain back the country from Congress. I will vote for the non-incumbent if he or she vows up front to limit his or hers own term to two.
    That person also needs to have a platform that is built on the needs and desires of the people.

January 29, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  223. Michael Walton

Not only do the incumbents need to be voted out of office, but I believe that it is time for voters to vote for third party candidates. Let's face the fact that it is becoming impossible to notice any major differences between the two parties. They offer little or no real programs that will change the downward spiral of the United States into an economic and political chaos reminiscent of the Roman Empire.

Do U.S. voters have the courage to vote against "The Man??" I hope they would, but have serious doubts.

January 29, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  224. Norm pope - Long Beach, CA

Nowhere is government more broken than in my home state of California. The highest unemployment in the nation, the lowest credit rating of any state, and a Senate and Assembly that has spent and taxed us into bankruptcy. Will I vote against the incumbents? You betchum!!

January 29, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  225. Jeremy

Jack, No matter what the party, I vote against the incumbent. I believe that our form of government requires we "change the guard". Nothing is gained by allowing an incumbent to stay in office. They should have a single term limit 4 years and that's it. That would keep the lobbyists at bay.

January 29, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  226. democrat turning independent

Yes vote them out. All they are serving are lobbyist or wasting our money. I want a person

January 29, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  227. Terry Fontaine

I feel that the only way we can get term limits is to get rid of every incumbant. These people work for us and we have to make them believe it. They don't now. They think they can do as they wish and not worry about their job. We can change that with voting every incumbant out of office. Do you really think someone else will do any worse than what we have now. It is our chance to take back our country and show them who the boss is.

January 29, 2010 at 8:23 pm |
  228. John

Jack I am willing to vote for anyone that can remember that this country was founded on the premise that government was of the people for the people and by the people, not of Washington for the Corporations by the lobiest

January 29, 2010 at 8:23 pm |
  229. Jackie

No! It is mindless to vote against an incumbent who is doing a good job for his/her constituents unless you are convinced that the opponent is so superior it overrides a good legislator's accomplishments.

January 29, 2010 at 8:23 pm |
  230. Wendy D

Jack, the fact that you ask this question is truly the problem with our electorate. It's not about voting for or against the incumbent. Hasn't the us against them mentality done enough damage? It's about voting for the individual who will do the best job. If the person in the chair has earned the privilege of returning, vote for him/her. If not, cast your vote for the better option. Bottom line, we need more thoughtful, intelligent voters.

January 29, 2010 at 8:23 pm |
  231. Dan Towers

DONE! The normally conservative first district of Maryland dumped our inreasingly liberal representative Wayne Gilchrest for a DEMOCRAT who better represents our moderate conservative views. Now if we can just get rid of a few more we may be back in business

January 29, 2010 at 8:23 pm |
  232. Marcus

This question needs more clarification. Are we willing to vote against incumbents who have been in office for more than two terms? Are we willing to vote against incumbents who have been in office for one term? Or is it just a blanket are we trying to vote out all incumbents and start over? Term limits don't stop politicians from wreaking havoc as evidenced by a few term limited presidents.

January 29, 2010 at 8:23 pm |
  233. ANN

Term limits voted on by the PEOPLE, not by Congress are needed to take back what career politicians are not ABLE to do, but yet are always spewing about what the American PEOPLE want. WE DEMAND CHANGE & saving our lives & our country....

January 29, 2010 at 8:23 pm |
  234. l00ker

Look what they've done for us in 30 years, and then look at what they've done for themselves during that time. Time for 90% of them to go, and that's a change that I can believe in.

January 29, 2010 at 8:23 pm |
  235. Mike - Seattle Wa

Yes, And I also think we should outsource the Senate to India. Then do the same with Congress the following year.

January 29, 2010 at 8:23 pm |
  236. Manuel

It is silly to vote against the incumbent becasue you think govt is broken. Let's throw the baby out wiht the bathwater while you are at it. No on should be encourgaed to vote out incumbents in general just for change. Cafferty your rhetoric just went extreme and irrational. watch out you could be dangerous!

January 29, 2010 at 8:23 pm |
  237. Pat

Jack,
    Hell no!
    Keep in mind that the Republicans held both houses for 12 out of the last 14 years and we had a Republican president for 8 years. Where do you think all of these problems came from.....Mars?
    It's not reasonable to say "vote the bums out" unless you pay attention to who the bums are.
    Pat
    Fairfax, Va.

January 29, 2010 at 8:24 pm |
  238. John Micucci

I think we should ALL vote against the incumbents and keep doing it over and over until politicians get it into their heads that we, the American people are their boss and if they don't perform, they will be replaced. Think of inside the beltway as a huge toilet.....and our hand is on the handle!

January 29, 2010 at 8:24 pm |
  239. bruce tibbo

JACK....

ABSOLUTELY ... have been chatting with my friends over the past week about starting a movement just like this blog to promote idea.

where is a leader like ross perot to finance such a trend ??
    his motto was something like, 'vote them all out.'
    seems like a good idea for state and local levels too.

January 29, 2010 at 8:24 pm |
  240. Tony

Imposing term limits is an artificial fix. If a politician is not performing, the people get two opportunities to vote him/her out: First at the primary, then at the election. If the people choose not to limit the term of their representatives at the ballot box, then they get exactly what they voted for.

January 29, 2010 at 8:24 pm |
  241. Kathleen in VT

NO. I really like my incumbents. They are doing a great job for us. Of course, they know that the independent people of Vermont would have no problem firing they if they didn't.

January 29, 2010 at 8:24 pm |
  242. Francine-Chicago

Unfortunately the people Illinois seem to have an appetite for politics as usual. The incumbent governor and the democratic senate candidate, Alexi, both sadly seem to be winning in the polls. Wish people would ask themselves what's changed with the Illinois dems in charge for the last million years, realize Nothing good has come of their run and then vote all incumbents out of office – that's the only way the people will be the winners.

January 29, 2010 at 8:24 pm |
  243. Gabe M.

I'm what you might call an Independent, but have tended to vote Democratic in the past. I do my research on those who are incumbents and those who are would be freshman reps/senators. Just like any job or profession, job security should be performance based. If the incumbent isn't 'representing' the constituency then they have to go. Vote them out. For all you idiots who vote strictly along party lines, grow up and be an educated voter. It's your future for crying out loud. That's not quite as bad as the middle aged, first time, uneducated morons who voted for Obama based on race or how they felt after listening to a speech. As far as the President is concerned, if I had to vote today based on his 1 year in office, I'd vote against him. He has time to change my mind and get me to vote again for him.

January 29, 2010 at 8:25 pm |
  244. Carol Carnall

What a simplistic question. Don't you believe we can think! To vote out an incumbent just for the sake of voting out an incumbert isn't the answer!

January 29, 2010 at 8:25 pm |
  245. Deborah Ballweg

Yes, ALL incumbents have to go. There is corruption rampant in our government. You have NO idea how I hate to agree with you.

January 29, 2010 at 8:25 pm |
  246. Mike

Absolutly Jack, voting every incumbant out of office would be a revolutionary message that the PEOPLE HAS SPOKEN.

January 29, 2010 at 8:25 pm |
  247. Dan

Voting against the incumbent is a much bigger decision in a bipartisan system. While the person in power may be doing a lousy job, the one who wants to replace him may vote against everything you feel is important. The only working way to solve the incumbent problem is term limits, but in lieu of that, you can try what CT did in 2006. Vote the incumbent out of their party in the primary (Lieberman isn't a democrat, he's an independent) and then hope that they lose in a three way election. There wasn't enough support to get Lieberman removed from office, but the democrats made their voice heard by removing him from their party.

January 29, 2010 at 8:25 pm |
  248. Manuel

January 29, 2010 at 8:25 pm |
  249. Bill

It seems that CNN has taken a stance against Democrats. Didn't hear you mention any Republicans who are retiring. There are more Repubs up for election. Yes i will be voting against any republican encumbents especially MC Kain. Yes I am from AZ

January 29, 2010 at 8:25 pm |
  250. Pat Lawrence

YES!!!! Congress has become ineffective due to the smugness of the incumbents. It's time for voters to go to the polls and SOC it to 'em (Sweep Out Congress). NO legislator should be allowed to serve more than two terms. So if they won't set term limits on themselves, we, the voters can sweep them out with our votes.

January 29, 2010 at 8:25 pm |
  251. Judie Weaver

I am for term limits for all members of Congress, but especially those in my backyard. After all, I'm a Democrate in OK, so even if I voted early and often for term limits here, it wouldn't do any good unless the people across the country are willing to do the same in their own states. Thanks to the electoral college, my voice will never be heard in the national arena. If eight years is enough for a President, it is certainly enough for a CongressPerson to prepare for a subsequent life of lobbying.

January 29, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  252. Joan

Yes, yes. yes I will vote them out. That will be John McCain and Jon Kyle – and I am Republican. John McCain has health insurance and seven houses but still he has no compassion for the 40,000 Americans who will die this year because they don't have health insurance. That goes the same for Jon Kyle there is no compassion from him either. They should both retire. ENOUGH is ENOUGH

Joan

January 29, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  253. Preston Jones

Why not! If the opposition is an improvement: why not?
    However, we must not think that voting for an non-incumbent will change anything. You just trade one political hack for another. The only way to get real change is to outlaw political parties and career politicians. Yea right, like that is going to happen.

January 29, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  254. todd`

hell yea

January 29, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  255. Eary Eubanks

We should have term limits, but until that happens I'll vote for whoever I feel will do the best job for this country. Voting for a person or party just because they are the opposition to those in power seems silly.

January 29, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  256. Jack Meehan

Jack,
    I couldn't agree more that those in office will never remove themselves from the feeding trough so it is my plan to vote agains't all incumbents from the local level all the way to the very top.
    Jack – Sunrise Florida

January 29, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  257. Kwambi

I have to say sometimes my fellow Americans can disappoint me be looking and living for the drama and flair here it is the republicans have dominated public office in Washington for the past decade and the democrats finally get control and now everything is there fault that the countries failing most of the dems have only been sworn into office for just over and there program are just beginning to take effect growth rose 5.6% the highest in six years this quarter but were already ready to bury the dems America life is not Hollywood eliminate the drama and let your elected officals do their job!

January 29, 2010 at 8:27 pm |
  258. Roger Hull

Most definitely YES! In fact, my wife and I are COMMITTED to do so in EVERY national level contest on our ballots. Although we are conservatives and in the past would have self-labeled as Republicans, we now see ourselves as Independents. The first self-serving or strongly liberal vote, or sign of free spending and we're hunting for a new horse to ride. Portland, OR

January 29, 2010 at 8:54 pm |
  259. Mariellen

Being from Maine, we have loved our two ladies, Snowe and Collins. But NO MORE. Talk about not listening to constituents. I can't wait to see them ousted. They are obstructionists and ingenuous. They have had an easy ride for far too long.

January 29, 2010 at 8:56 pm |
  260. Rico - Honolulu, HI

Will vote against the incumbent. Most of those that are in Congress now are more interested in their own political future and reelection. In addition, most of them were not really paying attention, or causing or not realizing how their actions have caused such a huge recession. Mainly I don't feel that they represented the people that elected them!

January 29, 2010 at 8:57 pm |