January 26th, 2010

Should Pelosi have to explain her trip to Copenhagen?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Hundreds of thousands of dollars.

That's how much it cost for a delegation of 59 people - led by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi along with members of Congress, staff and in some cases spouses and kids - to go to Copenhagen, site of the Climate Summit, just before Christmas.

House Speaker Pelosi attends a press conference at the Copenhagen Climate Summit.

CBS News reports that for 21 Congressmen, food and rooms for two nights cost $4,400; and the Total hotel bill - including meeting rooms - was more than $400,000.

Pelosi used two military jets for herself and her party at a cost of more than $100,000 dollars in flight time.

Hundreds of thousands of dollars of taxpayer money. This has nothing to do with the Obama administration officials who went to Denmark to actually attend the summit.

Pelosi filed the required expense report - but so far has failed to explain why it was necessary for her and her colleagues to make the trip to Copenhagen in the first place. Her arrogance is absolutely breathtaking. As for the high hotel charges, Pelosi's office says those who stayed two nights were charged a six-night minimum at the five-star Marriott. Information that was probably available before Pelosi and the freeloaders made their vacation plans.

Note to the House Speaker: We have skyrocketing deficits and national debt in this country. The President is talking about reigning in discretionary spending. I wonder if that would have included this junket by Pelosi and her colleagues. I would be curious to know where Nancy Pelosi gets her sense of entitlement to simply blow hundreds of thousands of dollars of our money at Christmas time so she and her colleagues can take a little trip to Copenhagen.

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Matt writes:
Of course she should be required to explain the trip. Would you not require your employee to explain an expense that was unnecessary in another business? Doesn't she realize that she is our employee?

Craig in Florida writes:
She should, but she won't. Nancy Pelosi is clearly of the opinion that she is "above the masses!" She thinks she is better than the rest of the American people. She is arrogant, dishonest and frankly, not all that smart. Most Americans cringe whenever they see her face on the television screen because she will almost certainly embarrass them.

Vicki from Paso Robles, California writes:
Yes, she should be called on the carpet for her absolute disregard for what is happening to the people in this country… As a Californian, I can only hope that the people in her district are paying attention and watching this arrogant, nasty woman in action. Unfortunately, I do not live in her district so I cannot vote against her!

Chris writes:
What a foolish woman and a disgraceful act. Ms. Pelosi preaches fiscal responsibility, but it will be her actions that will long linger in the minds of independents (I'm included).

Maria writes:
While Miss Pelosi and friends were having fun at our expense, most of us were deciding whether or not to exchange Christmas gifts. Miss Pelosi should be ashamed of herself for squandering tax money. She is a servant for the people that elected her. She is not royalty.

Tom from Mequon, Wisconsin writes:
Jack, She absolutely should have to explain. I just spent a few days in Las Vegas. Want to bet that I had to explain to my wife where OUR money went?

1. Eli

Ms Pelosi,
    Please, give us our money back.
    This country is it in recession.so, not is possible you spend lot money from tax payers for nothing.
    Let s help Pres Obama.

IFrom NJ

January 26, 2010 at 7:05 pm |
  2. Karl from SF, CA

Leave my Nancy alone. Her arrogance is no more “breathtaking” then that of the rest of those “Fools on the Hill” on both sides of the aisle. If she filled out the required forms, than the case is closed. I’d like to see every Congressional excursion publically listed for the taxpayer’s perusal. It might keep them in Washington doing our work rather than personal globe-trotting at our expense.

January 26, 2010 at 7:05 pm |
  3. Diane Arnold

Of course Ms Pelosi should fully disclose her trip to Copenhagen but she wont which is very troubling but not surprising. She is one of the most arrogant politicians along with her cronies that I have ever seen. Shame shame shame on you and yours Ms. SOTH.
    Cochise, Az.

January 26, 2010 at 7:05 pm |
  4. Charlie Hawk

Of course she should explain why she used 1 Million Dollars of our money to take this trip. How dare she when we are out here working our tails off just to make ends meet. It's no wonder that the State of California is in such dire straits fiscally. I think it's time for Speaker Pelosi answer for her actions.

January 26, 2010 at 7:05 pm |
  5. Cary Ferrin

I am extremely tired of this government walking all over the middle class. If your a Democrat, Republican or in some cases Independent, it seems these people feel an entitlement to do what the want, when they want despite what the majority of American people say. Speaker Pelosi seems to be the biggest offender of this.

January 26, 2010 at 7:05 pm |
  6. Don

Absolutely! If she and her entourage weren't part of the official presidential delegation, then I sure as hell want to know why my tax dollars were spent for this!

January 26, 2010 at 7:05 pm |
  7. Inde

Climate change is important but it's hard to believe this misguided trip needed 60 staff members. If it was $408K in airfare for 60 of them that works out to $6,800 per ticket. I travel enough to know that that's business or first class – not economy – so unless the numbers are wrong it's deplorable. As an environmentalist and an independent I find this behavior smells of the past administration's conflict's of interest, though albeit not related to attending a climate summit. When will our politicians as a whole mature into leaders?

January 26, 2010 at 7:06 pm |
  8. J. Sitzman

I guess she has to play up to the tree huggers that continue to put her in office. Staff and in some cases spouses and kids, youv'e got to be kidding, I guess this is something like a BANK BONUS for those staffers and there families. We should make them pay tax on the bonus they got.

January 26, 2010 at 7:06 pm |
  9. Jeremy

Wow. I am just stunned to hear this in the wake of the economic difficulties the United States is having. I am from Canada and I can tell you that we have our own problems (no kidding) but this is some strange type of entitlement that our politicians are being accused and taken to task on as well.

I really wonder how we the public, can get these positions filled by individuals with uncompromising values that cannot be bought, and do not have enlarged ego's that do not need to be stroked.

Here's to hoping.

January 26, 2010 at 7:06 pm |
  10. David Lee

We have on our hands the new Marie Antoinette of the Federal Government. She consciously makes the decision to use our tax dollars to go wherever she wants. Take a look if you would back at the trips to California she has made since being elected Speaker. Total those trips up using military aircraft and you will find it is also well over 1 MILLION Dollars. Her chutzpah is incredible noting she is not taking questions over the expense of this trip. But alas, we must remember that We are the LITTLE PEOPLE. We just don't understand the demands made upon her and of her time. I can only pray enough people in her district back home truly understand her hubris and will vote her out in the next election.

January 26, 2010 at 7:06 pm |
  11. John H

This is the problem with our leadership – "do as I say, not as I do". Not only should she have to explain it, she should pay it back!!!!

January 26, 2010 at 7:06 pm |
  12. Chisom

She should not only have to answer for it, she has to be made to refund the money. How about that???

January 26, 2010 at 7:06 pm |
  13. Rick, Phoenix

What was the "official" purpose for this trip again? I thought so...

Nancy should be forced to pay for this out of her own pocket.

If she wants a vacation for her and 80+ friends, put it on your own tab... not the taxpayers.

January 26, 2010 at 7:06 pm |
  14. Billy

This used to be a regular part of news coverage, detailing the expenses congress ran up and occasionally they would tone down the travel a bit. Not only should CNN, MSNBC, FOX and the networks make this a regular running total on your respective websites, go out and shoot some video of Ms. Pelosi and her friends boarding the 757 she commandeers on the weekends to fly back to San Francisco. Its would be a pretty disgusting shot!

15. Christina

Why, exactly, did all these people need to attend? It goes against everything that this summit even stands for! The money alone is extremely maddening, much less the insane carbon footprint! So to ansewer your question, hell yes she should answer to the taxpayers! It's our money!!

16. Steven Digman

Is that you Jack pointing your finger as Speaker Pelosi?

17. dennis daniel

She "should" feel obligated to explain the trip. But remember, that would be true ONLY if she felt any reponsibility to the tax payers – of course, she does not.

I have voted republican, democratic, and independent over the years. Like much of America, I'm slightly right of center (whatever that is anymore). I do not like, at all, much of what I've seen from this Congress over the last three years. I hope it continues. The longer it does, the more people wake the hell up, pay attention, and realize what goes on in Washington actually does effect their lives. Then, right before it's too late, which may occur as soon as five minutes from now, we throw them all out and start over.

18. What Vacation?

Duh, yes?

But what's the point, we're commenting on a blog, that's not gonna make it happen

19. Michael

You are right about the arrogance being breathtaking. I am so dissappointed in our government officials right now and the way they seem to be taking advantage of the people while all the while placing huge weights of burden on us. There will be a voter uprising one by one against them and they will be leaving office......it is the only defense we have but thank God for democracy so we can do what is best for all the people. Keep in mind that nobody is getting away with anything.........there will be a accountability.

20. John, Fort Collins, CO

No explanation is necessary for the Pelosi holiday boondoggle trip to Copenhagen. All she needs to do is reimburse the taxpayers out of her campaign fund - obviously a million dollars here-or-there is nothing to her. Her actions are a living example of why all taxpayers need to band together to form a real reform group: the Bipartisans Against Incumbents League (BAIL) who's motto would be "Out with the Bums". Sort of a reverse bailout.

21. Bryan

Dear Mr. Cafferty,

No wonder California has financial problems! I live in California and this is yet another ignorant act by the elite Mrs. Pelosi and her "Let them eat cake" attitude. Why is she above answering for herself while all of our taxes rise higher? If I spend ten dollars of my company's money I am held accountable to return a receipt for that ten dollars. No receipt and I pay back the ten dollars out of my own pocket! She should turn in receipts for approval or pay back the one million bucks out of her own pocket and be fired! Thanks for covering this story and have a nice day! Bryan

22. Brad Reddick

YOU"RE DAMN RIGHT she should be required to explain her trip, Jack! What in the world are some of these politicians thinking? Pelosi has always been arrogant but this just takes the cake!

23. Marvin Lyon

Yes Nancy Pelosi should explain the one million dollar trip but to whom? Congress? President? They are in the same boat or should I say airplane. The only way she will be held accountable is if the people of San Franciso vote her out of office.

24. Remember me

I believe Pelosi and the others should pay for their own vacation.
    The government doesn't pay for our vacations nor would I want or expect it to. This woman needs to be yanked down off her pedestal immediately.

25. Clarke Comollo

Is she out of her mind?

26. James Heiser

Absolutely YES! This is a travesty that she has done this at so critical a junction in our Countries comeback from disaster. I myself have been out of work for almost a year and to see that she just blew a MILLION BUCKS for a vacation to Copenhagen is just disgraceful. She should be made to pay it back. I guarantee that if someone of lesser stature had blown a million dollars on something like this, they would probably go to jail AND have to pay retribution! Shame on you Nancy Pelosi!

27. Lee Ann Biegert

It is my opinion that Pelosi's 'party' should not only have to REPAY the expense back to the US Treasury, but that her party should have to sponsor a bill which makes it a crime (and I'm talking felony class here) when any member of Congress invites spouses, partners, family members and/or friends along on any 'official' junket funded by the U.S. Treasury. Any other type of travel that is not for Congressional purposes should be paid for, in it's entirety, by the congressman or congresswoman attending. I am a mortgage originator that has played 'by the rules' my entire life. Now that Congress is considering eliminating some of my compensation opportunities, I think I will submit my resume to the Federal Government. Then I, too, can work a 37 1/2 hour week...accomplish nothing...be accountable to nobody...and receive a full pension in 20 years!

28. Mike Sitter

I don't know what to do with her. I don't get the opportunity to vote for or against this retard. I wish her constituents would wise up and get somebody in office who has the PEOPLE's interests in mind. She definitely does not. I have been a Dem for years, but I'm not afraid to say that I'm about to give it up. There's not a party around that's really impressing me for some time now. Pelosi is a blight on the nation, the Dems are the biggest bunch of wussies I've ever seen, and all are an embarrassment. My only joy wil be watching this idiot read her AARP magazine behind the President tomorrow night and allowing her inattention to make this nation look like a bigger group of morons who can't elect decent leadership. Dems, shame on you, you bunch of wimps. WAKE UP, MAN UP, AND LEARN TO SIT AT THE BIG PEOPLE'S TABLE!!! Pelosi, shame on you, fool. And people who continue to vote Pelosi into office, double shame on you. Is that really the BEST you have to offer??! Hard to believe.

29. Norm Rossiter

Congresswomen Nancy Pelosi should not only have to account for everyone in her group that made the trip having a valid reason for attending the conference she should also have to explain why it was necessary to burn that much fossil fuel when traveling to a conference on climate change to discuss and plan for ways to slow climate change believed to caused by excessive use of fossil fuel.

January 26, 2010 at 8:00 pm |
  30. RKP from MA

Bottom Line.

Pelosi should not only give an explanation for her tax-payer funded Christmas vacation, she should give her resignation as Majority Leader. She is shrewd, excellently tactical and bureaucratic. However, as the face of the Democrats in Congress she is clearly inept. It is in the Democrats' majority status interest, President Obama's political livelihood interest and the American public economic interests to have her put aside the ego and the power strip and step down. The Democratic Majority in the House of Representatives deserves someone shrewd behind the scenes and one who can relate to the general public.

January 26, 2010 at 8:00 pm |
  31. Ken Geiger

Unless there is a documented, bonified, official governmental reason for this trip, the participants should be required to reimburse the gov't!

January 26, 2010 at 8:00 pm |
  32. Adam Simi Valley, CA

I wish San Fransisco would do us all a favor and vote for a chimpanzee next time she is up for re-election. She is the poster child for what is wrong with Congress. A normal person would lose their job and probably go to jail for misappropriating that kind of funds. I know people borrow money all the time to go on vacation, but don't borrow the taxpayers dime and make our children pay it back, with interest. What a disgusting leech of a woman.

January 26, 2010 at 8:00 pm |
  33. Don Lama

Why do you foolish liberals act surprised and outraged. They are delivering the doomed socialist policies that they promised they would. Figure it out already. They haven't worked in the past so why would it be any different now.

January 26, 2010 at 8:00 pm |
  34. Ted

If what I have read is correct than why are these arrogant politicians able to bring their family with them? What has this got to do with the meetings over in Copenhagen? I am one who has lost my job during the holidays and would like to know why these people think they are above me.

January 26, 2010 at 8:01 pm |
  35. Jason Gaskins

It was all bush's fault. If he hadnt started global warming then she wouldnt have had to go save the planet. Nancy, dear, I see a revolution coming at some point. Just like in France. Are you are Maria Anntoinette? Is this your way of sayinn "Let them eat cake"? I wonder what Marias last words were as she became a little light headed?....Rules are for little people?

January 26, 2010 at 8:01 pm |
  36. Jim

Remember Pelosi in November. Let's retire her on that date and then send her back to Copenhagen on a one way trip.

January 26, 2010 at 8:01 pm |
  37. Linda O'Neill

Not unless she included all the people out of work and those that have lost their homes. Absoilutely and positively not. This is in the same bucket with her trip to the Pope last year. Let her pay for these trips with her own money, not ours

January 26, 2010 at 8:01 pm |
  38. Martin NIenstedt

This is why I am so disgusted with all these rats in office. They just don't get it. And they high five each other after all these abusesof office. I know why we have the 2 party system, it's because if there were more then no party would really have a majority. with only 2 to choose from it's like south park voting. A turd sandwich or a deushbag. They all have party loyalty and if the other party has a good idea then it must be a bad idea. Screw them all. We need the media to report all the abuses of money and the fraud and waste of money. why do we have a poet lauriette, (don't even care how to spell it) what does he do encourage reading books?? Why do we have a surgeon general? We didn't have 1 for 2 years and we got along just fine. What does he do encourage good health? DUH

January 26, 2010 at 8:01 pm |
  39. Jim from Auburn Wa

Seems like asking for explanations from government employees is like asking for honest hard-working government employees.

It is not going to happen in your lifetime.

January 26, 2010 at 8:02 pm |
  40. Chris

I work for local government. Providing vacations, free airfare, and the likes is covered under "Gifts of County funds" and it IS illegal. I am glad to see that at least some people are not fooled by the idiot elite in Government (on both sides).

January 26, 2010 at 8:02 pm |
  41. Nora

This is another example of congressional abuse! How come there is no approval required PRIOR to anyone spending our tax $$ on these trips. You would think there would be at least a bipartisan financial committee where ALL congressmen and women would have to submit their EXPENSES for travel and the alike and its details for approval. No wonder there is so much ABUSE!!! These congress people get to write their salaries, expenses, etc with no accountability!! No wonder we have no $$$ for us working class, but somehow there is always $$ for everyone else!!! When will this insanity STOP??? Anyone please??

Trying to stay sane in US

January 26, 2010 at 8:02 pm |
  42. Amy

Won't her constituents PLEASE vote her out? She's going to lose the White House for the Dems in 2012.......

January 26, 2010 at 8:02 pm |
  43. David from La Quinta,CA

Unbelievable! Nancy Pelosi is a true embarrassment. What in the World did all of these Congresspeople and their staffs accomplish in Copanhagen? And their spouses and children? If she is who our Democratic Congresspeople have chosen as their Leader they truly are out of touch with the American people. Shame on them.

January 26, 2010 at 8:03 pm |
  44. Don from Belleville, Canada

No, but her boss does. Hopefully in his State of the Union address tomorrow, President Obama will tell us how he intends to solve America's small issues like jobs, the economy, the deficit, and health care. He should also map out his solution to the country's biggest problem, why Nancy Pelosi paid for six nights at a hotel in which she only stayed for two.

January 26, 2010 at 8:03 pm |
  45. Richard in California

As a die hard Democrat, Obama supporter, and one who rants at the blatant hypocrisy and lies of the Republicans in government, and their cronies, I would wish that Ms. Pelosi explain herself and her actions. If she had a legitimate reason to go to Copenhagen, for some aspect of the Global Climate talks, then I have no real problem with the Speaker of the House, and third in line for the Presidency of the United States to contribute and learn at the Global Climate Summit. However, if she was serving the same "purpose" as Global Warming denier and ranter, Senator Inhofe, i.e. a squawk box for political gain, then she and her "friends" should pay for this trip on their own dime.

January 26, 2010 at 8:03 pm |
  46. Mike in SA

Two 5 word phrases:
    "They just don't get it"
    "Kick all of them out."

Another 2 word phrase:
    "Remember Mass."

January 26, 2010 at 8:04 pm |
  47. Chip

And we wonder why this country is in such dire straights! Regardless of the economic times, there will never be justification of this type of extravagant spending. There is such arrogance demonstrated by almost all of the politicians in Washington D.C., that I hope the American public remembers this come voting time! It is amazing how every one of our elected officials forgets that they are supposed to be representing the people, not considering themselves above the populace, yet they've voted themselves the best retirement benefits, the best health care services and the best travel benefits. Perhaps it's time to remind them that they are supposed to be one of the people, not above the people!

January 26, 2010 at 8:05 pm |
  48. Fernando F.

I knew the US was not going to sign any agreement before the convention. Why does Pelosi needs 59 people for "NOT SIGNING" ?

January 26, 2010 at 8:05 pm |
  49. Guy from Hawaii

What's the point! Whenever the politicians try to explain something we can't figure out what the hell they are saying anyway...I don't think they know either. What I'd really like to do is explain to everyone why I and many others will not be abel to travel at all this year. If we do we'll only need a sandwich and a road map to get where we're going.

January 26, 2010 at 8:05 pm |
  50. Ken

If I took my spouse and friends along on a business trip and expected my compay to pick up the tab, I would be fired! Maybe the same should be applied to Ms. Pelosi!!

January 26, 2010 at 8:05 pm |
  51. craig sutton

absolutely. She spent tax payers money, therefore she owes the american tax payer an explanation

January 26, 2010 at 8:06 pm |
  52. john

Typical Pelosi...Do as I say, not as I do.

Next to Mr. Obama, she is the most arrogant person in government.

January 26, 2010 at 8:06 pm |
  53. Mark, Pa.

This lady is so full of herself, it is disqusting. There was no need to travel to this conference and by no means was there any reason friends should have gone along. She might have filled out all the proper documents but she knew she would be approved, she makes everyones life miserable. She is only out to try to elevate herself at our expense. God help this country if she is not voted out of office.

January 26, 2010 at 8:06 pm |
  54. Bill from Maryland

Jack,

The only ones above the law are those who write it. Term limits anyone?

January 26, 2010 at 8:06 pm |
  55. pg

we know Pelosi has never been a person for the people. But who is to blame, the people of California who keep re-electing this money spend thrift.
    Also why doesnt anyone ask the question, how is she worth over 12 million dollars on a government salary.

i guess we should all work for the govt.

January 26, 2010 at 8:06 pm |
  56. M Weis

No she should not be required to explain her trip, Californians should be required to foot the bill. After all, they are responsible for electing that piece of trash and now the rest of us have to suffer!?!?!

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive."

January 26, 2010 at 8:06 pm |
  57. Patricia

Thieves!!! She and others should pay restitution for the theft!
    Washington sends waaaaaaaaaaay too much money overseas while we're scrambling for jobs, trying to pay the mortgage, buy food, purchase medication and these jerks thumb their nose at us.
    I voted for Scott Brown and I voted for Barack Obama. Really, does it even matter!!! Washington Politicians have NO CLUE!!!

January 26, 2010 at 8:07 pm |
  58. Lois

Ms. Pelosi has become quite arrogant and extremely politicial of late. It would seem that she, apparently, has forgotten about the ordinary citizens in our country and the sad state of financial affairs in which we find ourselves. I would be interested in her justification. It's too bad, because she used to be effective and I liked her.

Bottom line: I think it's time for her to go.

January 26, 2010 at 8:07 pm |
  59. Marie

This does seem wasteful considering her group was not part of the official delegation. It's disheartening to see our money being spent this way when there are so many struggling trying to make ends meet. It's up to the voters in the districts of the people involved to show their displeasure at the polls next time around I guess.

January 26, 2010 at 8:07 pm |
  60. Maria T.

While Miss Pelosi and friends were having fun at our expences, most of us were deciding whether or not to exchange Christmas gifts
    Miss Pelosi should be ashamed of herself for squandering tax money.
    SHE IS A SERVANT for the people that elected her. SHE IS NOT ROYALTY.

They should be all fired! They are in Washington for themselves, not for us.

January 26, 2010 at 8:07 pm |
  61. Claudia, Houston, Tx

If explaining it will change the cost to taxpayers, I'd say yes. Otherwise, it's a further waste of time and revenue to taxpayers.

January 26, 2010 at 8:07 pm |
  62. Pissed Off In WA

Meanwhile Sen. McCain was spotted flying back to AZ in Coach.

January 26, 2010 at 8:08 pm |
  63. Shawn French

I could be wrong about this, but wasn't there a similar incident not too long ago where Pelosi made a trip to Italy on our bill? All I recall is that she had an audience with the Pope and got confirmation on a family lineage question. Point is...why does Washington even think of using OUR assetts for non-essential junkets?
    Nancy...shame on you!

January 26, 2010 at 8:09 pm |
  64. R Casias

O.M.G, what is wrong with us people?.... we sit and read about this injustice and it seems like were O.K. with it, and that it will be all forgotten tomarrow. Not only should we have that arrogant manequin faced ...... explain about the money spent, but also where in the hell does she get off in thinking that we the tax payers and voters aren't going to get upset about this premadonna mentality. It is a shame what our governent has become. It not only happens with the democrates, but with the republicans as well.......Greed, arrogance, and a filthy attitude that seems to tell all us tax payers and voters "too shut the ...... up, and take it for what it is". With attitudes like that in washington it only cries out to all of us tax payers and voters that term limits need to be applied as quickly as possible......uuugggg!

January 26, 2010 at 8:10 pm |
  65. William Pagdon

The "Speaker" refuses to speak about this. She needs to be removed from her throne.

January 26, 2010 at 8:10 pm |
  66. David L. Emison

beyond words, outrageous.

January 26, 2010 at 8:10 pm |
  67. Dave Harris

Mr. Cafferty,
    I don't agree with you a lot but it's nice that you confirmed my feeling that you were a fair man who could call out anyone who needed it. Speaker Pelosi is acting totally in character and sadly it's not over something relegated to one party. Both parties have members who remember why they are in Washington and members who do not. As citizens we better start electing more who do and who will act accordingly.

DH from VA

January 26, 2010 at 8:10 pm |
  68. doug c

my wife and I bought a tent on sale and spent a grand total of about $500 on our vacations last year, it must be nice to be one of the "entitled ones"; whats 500 grand to take the tree hugger brigade and their families to Copenhagen to talk about how the rest of us here in the USA should give up our way of life, cars, oil heat and the use of electric appliances, they will give us a big tax on carbon and tell us to go back to living in trees and ride donkeys, .... but they (Nancy Pelosi) will ride in an F-15 and a C-130, throw away more money in one week than most of us can ever dream about, Pelosi is the BIGGEST HYPOCRITE, she needs to be voted out ASAP, shame on her..
    ps send Pelosi the bill, have her put in on a credit card at 22%interest, she can then call buddy Chris Dodd for a sweetheart deal,,,,ahhhhhhh

January 26, 2010 at 8:11 pm |
  69. Jason

I warned people years ago Nancy Pelosi is only out for herself and once she became the Speaker of the House to watch out, because this idiot have no idea about the people. She is one of the most arrogant people I have ever seen. I hate when she is on television with that fake smile, like she is saying AMERICAN PEOPLE I JUST THOUGHT OF A NEW WAY TO SCREW YOU!!

January 26, 2010 at 8:11 pm |
  70. Jason

Using public funds for personal entertainment is quite simply illegal. Of course she has to explain the trip.

January 26, 2010 at 8:11 pm |
  71. adam

i should would like the money for all the schooling i have been through and the schooling that i still need. and i bet she's not more intelligent or will do anything positive for this human race, while that's what my goal is. i want to actually better humanity while she takes advantage of being able to manipulate it.

January 26, 2010 at 8:11 pm |
  72. Dan Phillips

Broad is such a bad word?

January 26, 2010 at 8:11 pm |
  73. Denise

Absolutely, she should have to explain to all taxpaying American citizens why we should pay for her MILLION DOLLAR vacation with her family, friends and coworkers. Her arrogance is unbelievable and disgusting! Thanks, Jack, for covering this story!

January 26, 2010 at 8:12 pm |
  74. Charles Masson

Of course she should be required to explain herself. She acts as if the money is her own, when it really belongs to the American people - a group she and her fellow legislators plainly have little regard for. Jack, our government - especially the legislative branch in Washington - is increasingly divorced from the people they piously claim to serve. Instead, as we've seen most recently in the deal-making to get a healthcare bill, they are engaged in a game of "who can pick the U.S. Treasury clean the fastest."

January 26, 2010 at 8:12 pm |
  75. Kevin

Does anyone else find it ironic for a media group/individual to question high expenditures and potential excess for a meeting? Let's be honest, it's an industry wrought with excessive spending...and consumers pay for it via the advertising budgets of the companies' products we buy.

Regardless, let's not be naive and think that there isn't the possibility of important meetings and discussions at large global events such as these, particularly since multiple countries are in a single venue (potential for actual savings vs. traveling independently to each). This happens in industry with individuals attending global conferences, sales meetings, etc., so it shouldn't be so appalling...

January 26, 2010 at 8:12 pm |
  76. Jason

Jack,

I'm tired. We're all tired. Where is this all going and what is going to happen to us?

Lynnwood, WA.

January 26, 2010 at 8:12 pm |
  77. Michael

Jack – just another example of poor leadership from everyone in office. Get rid of them all! regular people off the street could do a better job runnign this country. These people make me sick!

January 26, 2010 at 8:12 pm |
  78. Jose

Until we hold our elected officials accountable nothing will change. They need to understand that they are there to represent our interests. It started with Massachsetts, let's demand accountability and TAKE OUT THE TRASH IN 2010.

January 26, 2010 at 8:12 pm |
  79. Tim

I am life long Democrat but I have no respect for this woman. Vote her out!

January 26, 2010 at 8:13 pm |
  80. Dave Matovich

Karl from SF, CA
    Case closed, REALLY, Your Nancy is a self worshiping crimial. Filing forms does not close the case, nor does it make it ok. She illegaly used tax payer money to take hear elitest friends on a vacation, as she has so many times in the past. She needs to be removed from office, and placed in jail for extortion of tax dollars, fraud, felony theft, and most likely treason.

January 26, 2010 at 8:13 pm |
  81. Armand

I am deeply concerned by this ongoing, "Do as I say, not as I do" behavior by our nation's leaders. I don't understand how something like this is allowed in the first place. Pelosi decides, "Hey, I'm just gonna run up this small $400,000 charge. Put it on my tab. Oh, did I say my tab? I meant the American People's tab." And these are the same people who stand in front of us saying how dire our economic situation is? PLEASE.

Armand
    Los Angeles

January 26, 2010 at 8:13 pm |
  82. Chris

Sadly, I am not surprised. I heard her on NPR one night . . . her replies to the interviewer were basically "Not only do I know better than you, you know nothing" demeanor. Such arrogance . . . such disdain for the people who put her in office (not me).

Pleasanton, CA

January 26, 2010 at 8:13 pm |
  83. jeremy tarcher

Who were the other people.? If they were Congressmen and women then it does not seem fair to tag her with the whole bill.

January 26, 2010 at 8:14 pm |
  84. Annie, Atlanta

Politicians take trips. That’s the nature of the job. Pelosi should explain when the rest of them do. And what about Inhofe? He went there to protest against his/our President, on behalf of big energy. Personally, they should all stay home and do their jobs instead of traveling the world on our dime, outside of a select few. But that’s just me.

January 26, 2010 at 8:14 pm |
  85. David Seltzer

Dennis Miller charaterizered her intellect as "sub-reptilian." He left out, "unrepentent narcissist who lives a lifestyle Marie Antoinette would envy and finances it with 45% of our gross earnings." This woman is somewhat moronic as she fails to understand that we libertaraian and independent rabble making up the tea parties she calls Astroturf also vote.

January 26, 2010 at 8:14 pm |
  86. Fedupwithfed

Pelosi does what she does because she knows there is not a damn thing we can do about it. Is it any wonder that California is in the shape they are in...they keep electing this arrogant bimbo.

January 26, 2010 at 8:15 pm |
  87. Andy LaPort

January 26, 2010 at 8:15 pm |
  88. Chris

You want Pelosi to explain, I get it. But what about the 3 GOP'rs who flew in... made a few statements at the airport, and went home?

89. Wayne

Yes and not just explain but she and her colleagues should reimburse the cost with interest

90. Joe Callahan

Throw the bums out. She stinks!!

91. Jan from NC

of course she should but just who is going to make her ?, The President , The media, congress ? NOT. She answers to no one. I can see her telling Reid & Obama " let them eat cake ".

92. Eric

It goes without saying that she should have to explain. She should also have to pay it back.

93. Carol A.

Well, most certainly.....how arrogant and irresponsible!

94. Julie Cumming

Outrageous! We should all e-mail her office and DEMAND an answer and then pay back.

95. Darrell from Indiana

I think 3 things should happen to her.

1. she needs to show and explain her expense report.
    2. she need to pay back all the money she wasted on her friends.
    3. she needs to be fired!!!!!

and all this is coming from a democrat supporter.

96. Dory

Absolutely YES!

97. jeffrey allen

I think she should explain why she took the trip. The members in congress suffer from an entitlement issue. They feel that deficit issues do not pertain to them. The american people should hold them accountable for ALL there actions.

98. ken carlson

Climate change meeting, ha, let's put her on the hot seat and get to the bottom of this.....

99. David C Krush

No matter what party is in office the same ole song still plays. Almost makes me wonder if the Government really is run by the people or by the secret elite.

100. Andy

I voted democrat, I buy into the global warming problem, and I want to save the polar bears. But if Nancy Pelosi was the representative from my State, I'd be signing the petition to recall her. Let's break it down: (1) Overseas flight cost – a generous $3,000; (2) Hotel accomendations for a week – a generous $2000; (3) Not bringing your family, friends, and Chuck your neighbor – priceless. Thousands of people have to travel for work and leave friends and family behind, and, oh wait lets think of the military that have tours lasting years. I'm just about at the point where I'd rather have my vote wasted on an independant candidate than contribute to the garbage that is partisan politics.

101. Jayson

I received a call today from my bank saying I owed them .03 cents. If I have to be help accountable for 3 measly cents, pelosi is just as accountable. The difference is..well..nothing. She's just as human as me; maybe not.

102. Ramsey Starr

If Pelosi had been left behind in Copenhagen; it would have been
    money well spent

103. Joe (R), Illinois

Ms Pelosi’s trip (Vacation) at a cost of one million to the U.S. tax payers is outrageous to say the least. Unfortunately this seems to be the norm with most of our elected officials. Ms Pelosi may be one of the most blatant, but she is far from the only elected official doing this. These officials need to remember why they are there and who put them there. Not that it would be condoned at any time, but at a time when once proud hard working (taxpaying) American citizens are struggling just to feed and take care of their families. These people are taking globe hopping vacations at a cost of millions to the American tax payers is simply appalling! Where is the change Obama?

104. Kathy

ABSOLUTELY...and then she should be FIRED!

105. J&J

As usual you are, as the British say, "spot on"...Pelosi should go beyond explaining and PAY for her vacation out of her own pocket, just like the rest of us.

106. Jason | Odenton, MD

Jack I have one better, She should explain WHY we should keep her in office, whenever I travel for PLEASURE, it comes out of MY OWN POCKET. She and the rest of Congress are a DISGRACE.. Throw all The INCUMBENTS OUT! Independents RULE!

107. Nathan

Yes it is carzy for her to go. Thank you for bringing this up.

108. gary deffina

why doesnt she become a part of the middle class and understand us
    she is a phony thinking she is above what we all suffer

109. Bill

Nancy Pelosi is an arrogant politician that is hypocritical and should be voted out in 2010. Her lack of respect for American taxpayers is obvious. Vote the bums out.

110. Deirdre Cavener

I feel like I fell down Alice in Wonderland's hole. Where is the "common sense" in Washington. Does anyone there understand that we are BROKE. When you don't have any money, you don't spend any, especially on things that aren't life and death. We need to fire everyone and start over.

111. Pat Evans

Jack, no, she shouldn't be required to explain it!
    She should be required to pay for it! Pat Evans Reno, NV.

112. David

Yes, Ms. Pelosi should not only explain this expenditure but should also have to repay it. This is the same kind of waste that they are targeting the banks for. Is this the change we voted for?

113. grady early, san marcos, texas

Jack

Why should she bother? During the Cold War, we spent the Soviet Union out of existence. Now we're intent on spending ourselves out of existence. Ya think we'll last longer than the Soviets did?

cheers
    grady

114. Ellen Evans

Nancy Pelosi is unbelievably arrogant. She should absolutely have to account for these expenditures and if they are deemed frivolous and unnecessary then they should be repaid immediately!

115. Edward

No, i don't think Mrs. Pelosi need to explain anything about this subject...because its just a waste of time, what she should do is return the money spent , apologize to the tax payers and resign

116. adam

and what's bad, she's not the only greedy person in office doing this; she just got caught. our national debt, money, and job issues is cause by our own idolatry and our lack of being focused on something worth dedicating your life too, the Trinity God; Father, Son, Holy Spirit. we say we're a nation under God, which we are, but we can't give him any honor. these issues our nation is facing is just surface issued the actual issue is where we are focusing our lives on.

117. jane

She needs to go –the sooner the better

118. Leo Noahr

Heck, she would not have to explain if she would do the RIGHT thing and pay the expenses out of her own pocket. However, since we know she probably does not understand what the RIGHT thing would be, she should have to document and explain the expenses!

119. JJ

No Jack she should not have to explain her trip...but she should pay for her vacation, because that is what it was after all I have to pay for mine.

Military Wife, tired of the BS

120. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Keep on smiling Jack!

121. Will

Jack, dear God yes, Pilosi should be required to explain. The arrogance of this woman is over the top and if she is ever elected again to any government office, the electorate should be required to explain.

122. Barry Winn

Pelosi: She does whatever she wants: One simple phrase: do as i say not as i do

barry

123. Patricia

Of course she should explain. She's an employee of the tax payers, and just like we demand banks to tell us what they are doing with the money we lend them, she has to tell us what she's doing with it as well.
    Please lets be realistic here, they are playing us.
    Don't vote for them in the next elections.

124. David Seltzer

Dennis Miller charaterizered her intellect as "sub-reptilian." He left out, "unrepentent narcissist who lives a lifestyle Marie Antoinette would envy and finances it with 45% of our gross earnings." This woman is somewhat moronic as she fails to understand that we libertarian and independent rabble making up the tea parties she calls Astroturf also vote.

125. Dee Jane Lynch

Of course, she should account for this trip. If the money she used was tax-payer money, what on earth did she think? My mother is 91 and she exclaims that it's about time for all of this corruption to be exposed. Pelosi should re-pay what she took, also!!

126. Carol Comtaruk

No explanation necessary. She should simply step down and permit a "real" leader with integrity to take her place.

127. Dave, Louisville

Explain it ? They should be required to pay for it!

128. Brenda Cloud

I don't think there is a good explanation for Mrs. Pelosi or her trip or any of the other outrageous expenses she incurs just by having her own private jet. What I think is – Mrs. Pelosi should have to pay for her trip out of her own pocket. She is certainly wealthy enough.

Can you make that happen? Maybe a march on Washington by all of us currently unemployed Americans might carry some weight.

129. sam younessian

She is so out of touch with people and not only she needs to explain her psychotic actions but needs to pay back and go jail for her actions.

130. Jon

Yes of course she needs to explain her trip to Copenhagen. She needs to explain why she had such a lavish time spending tax payers dollars while not accomplishing any substantive reform to benefit the environmental, economic or social well being of the United States.

131. Ron Barry

Banks have to justify the use of the "people's" bailout money.
    Why shouldn't the "people's" Speaker have to justify the waste of these
    funds.
    Maybe someone should've told her that there was no need to study the climate in Copenhagen, it's the rest of the world that's in trouble.

132. Joseph Jancetic

And not to mention she'll want us legal americans to foot the bill for the illegal aliens to get benifets and to steel our jobs, go figer . Shes just playen right allong with the hispanic groups in cal. so she can keep her job and live life high on the hog while there are families that cant aford to feed their kids 3 squares a day. She and all like her need to be knocked down a few pegs on the ladder.

133. Jeannine

Yes!!! She not only needs to explain to the American people. She should have to pay it back OUT OF HER OWN SAL:ARY!!! Let her go without a paycheck for a year and see how she "makes ends meet" like everyone else in the US who is out of work and struggling.SHAME ON YOU NANCY!!!!
    Jeannine
    Maine

134. Catherine Bieri

She should be held accountable AND FIRED. You cannot justify that under ANY circumstances. A business would not allow that type of flagrant spending and neither should our paid government!!!

135. Ron from British Columbia Canada

No Jack;
    She shoundn't have to explain her trip....she already did by taking it. She should just be fired.

136. west

Why would we pay for anyones vacation? If Pelosi is a true democrate, she would pay the entire bill out of her own extraordinarily deep pocket.

137. Linda E. Gutenkunst

Yes, she should account for every cent.

138. Frank Asay

Nancy Pelosi is spending money Americans do not have. We are in Hawk up to our shorts and she is running around like we do not have any money problems. This just seems to be the way our goverment has become. We pay, they play. I am dam mad and cannot do anything about it but vote the worst of the worst out when there time is up. What a mess good old Uncle Sam is making and we keep giving . I ask you why should we continue to pay Oh yes I almost forgot the IRS makes us pay. I used to like to give now it just pains me.
    Alaskan
    The last frontier
    God Bless America

139. Maryellen dennis

Yes they complain about wall street what about their corruption disgraceful

140. Ryan

Thank you Nancy for continuing to dig the grave for the rest of the democrats. Of course she should have to explain herself for this trip.

141. Alex

Absolutely, Speaker Pelosi should explain why the expenses were appropriate and how it's not just another example of politicians abusing the trust we put in them. Then ask her to explain all the other abuses in spending that she has reigned over.

142. Jesse Warren

Explain? Are you kidding, she should foot the bill and then be made to keep her foot out of our butts.

143. Brian Schoen

So disappointing... Why can't she drop 400k in tax payer money in Florida or some other US vacation destination. If you're going to rip us off at least stimulate something.

144. Joanne from Nashville

YES, YES, YES – pull back the covers – I want the details on this. Queen Nancy has a lot of nerve. Who else went on this boondoggle trip? This happens on both sides of the aisle and it's time to stop.

145. Dona Bergman

Pelosi is the worst Speaker we have ever had!!!She should be made to pay (out of her own pocket) all the expenses for this fiasco!.
    She should also pay (again out of her own pocket) for her plane that she takes to go back to CA each week!!!
    A very concerned resident of CA.

January 26, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
  146. S. Artman

This is appalling; Nancy P. has been shown her colors for a long time. It will be up to her State to vote this Lady out of office, Please!!!
    S. Artman

January 26, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
  147. TERRY CHI

Pelosi shouldn't just discuss her trip, but be ashamed of it and apologize to my friends who have lost their jobs and have to tighten their belts to feed kids, pay the mortgage, and put gas into their cars, just to go to those job fairs and job interviews.

There is a Chinese saying about politicians everywhere, "All the crows are equally dark." This crow is about as dark as it gets. What a travesty.

Terry Chi
    Kenosha, WI

January 26, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
  148. New Jersey

Jack in New Jersey we got rid of our entitle official at the first election,i say Californians a election is coming soon vote the bums out,now we see sweet Nancy taking the click out at our expense hell no.Each time a election come up we should remember the Wallstreet billions period the buck stop with us,o i fogot we do not have a dollar to show for our new tax breaks.

January 26, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
  149. George Hoguet

I am wondering if Senator Imhoff and those US government officials who went to Copenhagen to deny climcate change also charged their expenses to their offices.

January 26, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
  150. Tim-Lugoff, SC

Not only should she explain the Copenhagen exploit, she really needs to justify her existence.
    Her pompous arrogance is beyond me and, quite frankly, she needs to gracefully return that gavel she was handed and get her butt out of politics.

January 26, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
  151. Penny from FL

She and her cronies should be made to pay for their little vacation!!

January 26, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
  152. pamela housman

Nancy can save her breath with her explainations, instead she can start collecting funds from her traveling troup to pay us back! In addition, everyone who went that wasn't authorized should write an appology and an essay on what integrity means to them.

January 26, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
  153. Mario Grasso

HELL YES. And we should demand reimbursement.
    Then after we received the reimbursement we should
    get her fired.

January 26, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  154. Gary Baumgartner

No explanation is required, this is the same thing as the trip to Italy just after the House passed the largest spending bill in US history. She needs to resign, enough is enough. Is she that bulletproof??

January 26, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  155. Frances

Should Nancy explain?

Give me one good reason why she should not explain?

Has common sense become a thing of the past?

January 26, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  156. Marilyn McConnell

The speaker's arrogance is so typical of her. Yes she should account for why she and group took a vacation on our dollar. she should also be required to reimburse the American people or step down!!!

January 26, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  157. sandy smedley

As our American royalty jets off to a luxury trip at Christmas for no discernable reason other than they wanted to (on our dimes) while their constituents froze for lack of heating fuel, lay off teachers, lost their jobs and homes, they may want to remember what happened to other world leaders and their let-them-eat-cake attitudes....the guillotine is no longer in use but the voting machine most definitely is, and we are NOT afraid to use it!!

January 26, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  158. janette contreras

Why not? don't we always have to answer to the Government about our money? what makes her different from us? even worse she's using our money.

January 26, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  159. Bill Harmon

Absolutely, start running the government like a business. If the expense doesn't benefit the company (US) and it's not authorized, then she shouldn't get reimbused. She should have to pay for it herself, then MAYBE she won't do it again.........but with her arrogance she probably will try.

January 26, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  160. dan from horseheads,ny

She defiantly owes us taxpayers an explanation. Then, us as taxpayer, owe her the boot from office!

January 26, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  161. Ante Vulin

Jack,
    Not only should she explain but she and her friends should pay back every penny that they spent and resign from Speaker of the House.
    Disillusioned Democrat
    Ante Vulin
    Fredericksburg, Va.

January 26, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  162. Earl

Hell YES! Nancy Pelosi should explain to the whole American public about the national necessity for her trip to Denmark, complete with entourage. Who knows why those idiots in California keep reelecting her! We have essentially the same problem here in Louisiana with Mary Landrieu, et al. Case in point: Ray Nagin's relection in New Orleans!!
    Earl S.
    Mamou, LA

January 26, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  163. Cameron B. - A.

As a 17 year old learning about government, this is an example of a corrupt politician. They come in all shapes and colors, they blow through hard earned taxpayer money. I'm not mad about her "party" going, but they an at least pay themselves. And why even spend hundreds of thousands in Copanhagen, when none isn't really going to come back to us. I don't hear about any Dannish politicians blowing their money away in the U.S.

Cameron Abduljalil,
    Sacramento, CA

January 26, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  164. Carol

I think she was out of line by taking such liberties and should explain why it was necessary for Americans to foot the bill. Maybe trips like this should come out of their own pockets.

165. karen towne

Love your commentaries, Jack. Is CNN finally trying to be "fair and balanced" by reporting what actually goes on in Washington?? Nancy is the epitome of corruption in our government. Your comments on the Copenhagen debacle /congressional vacation hopefully opened the eyes of Pelosi's constituents. They give her the power she so eagerly uses against them.

166. Dredd360

Yes. Preferably while cleaning out her office.

Dredd360
    (D) Va.

167. Rich Berger

You have to wonder how the democrats, with such a huge numbers advantage on the hill can possibly be so weak and inept. On top of that the president is a democrat and still they are incapable of any type of real leadership. The answer is two-fold. One, the democratic leadership is a joke. Reed and Pelosi – one is inept and the other is so dislikable that is beyond words (Pelosi). Two – Republicans are just better at all phases of politics than the democrats, much better. They are in the minority, but perception is that they are really the majority. Democrats are so inept they cannot take advantage of the hand the Obama landslide dealt them. I was a democrat for over 30 years but am now a registered independent. Pelosi, being one of the main faces of the democratic party is one of the main reasons I will not vote for any democratic incumbents this coming election.

168. Kenza Tampa,Fl

What did her mom drink during the pregnancy? We are in recession and shes spending $400k on a TRIP? This isnt her money, its ours and if shes going to go on a expensive trip for self gain that is going to worsen our economy, she might as well tell us what the hell she is thinking.

169. David

Wonder why she did"nt take the 757 that she just had to have to travel between DC and CA, mabey it dosen"t burn enough fuel or hold all the lobster to FEED all her "PALS"

David Ft. Laud. Fl.

170. Joe

Hell Yes...She's a cross between Castro and Hugo ...only in a Skirt...Yes sweetie, EXPLAIN...and then GIVE ME BACK MY MONEY!!!! little lady!!!

171. Karl

Mr. McCafferty – Since you know the Marriott charged 6 nights for two nights of lodging, could you ask the Marriott to return the 4 night differential to the United States since those paid for nights were not used?

Likely, the Marriott pocketed the money as bonus revenue and the rooms were then let out to other customers, thus doubling the Marriott's revenues for those rooms. It's the Marriott playing a financial game on the United States just as much as the Speaker and her entourage being fiscally irresponsible.

172. Michele

It's complete BS, Jack...and as the daughter of a long-term Marriott employee, I've never heard of a "6-night minimum", not even at their Timeshare properties (which the Marriott Copenhagen is NOT).
    I smell a big fat rat.
    Nancy....You got some 'splaining to do..

173. California Climber

Ray, Walnut Creek

Regretfully Jack, Old Ms. Pelosi is from a "Safe" district, and it may take HELL to freeze over before she gets voted out.

Her arrogance though should provide the momentum for HONORABLE Democrats to vote her out of a leadership position, but regretfully I do not hold much hope out for that honor.

174. Larry

Jack,

Heck yes Nancy should explain the reason for her trip. She should also be required to pay every cent of it back to "US".
    How can the people of CA be so dumb in keeping this bum in office?

Larry,
    Snow Hill, MD

175. Gary - Woodhaven, Michigan

What is the old adage? With great power comes great responsibility.

Tenants of responsibility are telling the absolute truth at all cost, and self discipline.

So any explanation by her, or almost any politician these days, would only mean more irresponsibility. And aren't each of us growing real tired of that?

176. Dan

Our speaker of the house not only sets a bad example for other government officials, but she doesn't look out for the interests of the people whom she represents. Instead, she spends money at their expense. This women won't do away. Someone needs to throw a bucket of water on her, and then maybe she will melt away. Dig dong, the witch is dead.

177. Patricia Frank

Yes! This wasn't at all a necessary trip. I think Nancy Pelosi and her colleagues have a lot of explaining to do.. She also, as noted in the past, flies non-commercial at taxpayer (our money) expense back & forth from her home to Washington. I can do without her (Florida resident)

178. Clark

Yes, she most certainly should. Not that it matters. I'm pretty certain she won't be retaining her seat at the next election. Honestly, if the American people realized how much money is wasted daily by most politicians. We would be disgusted. I honestly don't believe either party is about helping the general public, as much as themselves. Bush/Obama??? Don't see much difference. They both decided they needed $800 billion. Wall St. is the only one making money. Now our taxes are going up to??? Seriously, what is going on with America?

179. Philip Cerney

Yes. Nancy needs to explain herself. How dare she! I went to Denmark 30 years ago after working all Summer and saving up. I would love to take my wife and kids there but there is no way we can afford it. With what we pay in Federal and State income tax and property tax there is no money left. Not to mention we are in the process of losing our home due to a failed Loan Modification Program.I think she should pay every penny back to the American Tax Payers. Shame on her!

180. Mary Pearson

Pelosi is clearly out of line and needs to explain her extravagant spending habits. I am so tired of the politicians getting away with spending all of my hard earned tax money on frivolous trips for themselves, their families and their friends. Keep up the good work exposing these issues- they need to be brought to the front and center because this is what the american public finds to be truly outraging!

181. Sharon Peterson

Earth to Polsi!
    Earth to Polsi!
    Have you not heard about Countries financial situation?
    Explain why you use our tax money this way?
    If you can't give it BACK!!!

182. Jeff from Atlanta

Shame on you Ms.Pelosi....haven't the Democrats taken enough hits the past couple of weeks

183. Jim Glosson

Sure, she should explain the trip.
    Why did they have to use Military planes?
    What business did they have that would have required Democrats only to go?
    What business required tht children be there?
    Why does she even think she has the right to do things like this?
    She and the others should be required to refund our money.

184. Carl

Just wondering how some of the sites like Hotwire might deal with a six night minimum.............
    Probably something like half price for the first two nights and we'll give you back the other four for free!

Carl Oceanside,Ca.

185. STEVE

Jack , what diff. will ever make what we think. All we will ever be expected to do is foot the bill so anyone we have been foolish to elect (it seems obvios that it will never make any diff. who we elect to office, look at how convincing Obama was.)
    so to be surprized tha Pelosi gives a damm what she does with the money we are forced to pony up, is no surprise to me.

186. Millie

Yes, Speaker Pelosi should explain her trip to Copenhagen, along with why so much money was spent. All spending in Washington, D.C. should be transparent. The question I have is, where was the criticism when Republicans were taking the same trips. Where was the outrage when Bush was spending money hand over fist? After all, he's the reason we are in this fiscal mess.

187. johns minnesota

Of course she should explain it. All of them should. No different than a corporate expense account. If I have to explain questionable items to my boss or get fired Pelosi and all involved should explain theirs or get fired.

188. Dominik

I believe that $1 Million is a little bit much for a trip to Copenhagen. The United States is in a major date. Mindless spending should be out of our vocabulary for the next three years and we should save that money for more important subjects including healing our economy. This was very unwise.

189. Bonnie Goodword

Yes, she should explain. We are not a monarchy!

190. Bob Kellenberger

Speaker Pelosi is just another politician with a sense of entitlement and an infuriating disability to see themselves in the big picture. I hope she tries to explain this boondoggle. It should be quite entertaining.

191. Joe, NJ

Article . II, Section. 2. : says, in part, the President shall power, by
    and with the advice and consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur......

So, what is Pelosi and the rest of the House parasites doing in
    Copenhagen when they have no legal say in the signing of treaties?

192. Mical

Jack,

Pelosi has the right to explain her extraordinary spending habits... she has the right to explain her "holier than thou attitude" ... she has the right to remain silent,...the right to an attorney and the right to EXPECT to get IMPEACHED

193. Ed LeFeber

Pelosi must be planning on quitting?

194. Paul Keyird

This is the problem with our country, Politicians believe that the people should live a certain way but that way does not apply to them. It never does, they are above the people.
    I am going to file a complaint with various Federal agencies to investigate her for fraud. (Taking kids of staffers along for the ride?)
    Must be nice "Stretch" to live it up while I have been out of work for 8 months due to outsourcing and have lost my house and ruined my credit.

195. Sandy

No one should be surprised by the arrogance of Congresswoman Pelosi. Sadly, many who reside in Washington for extended periods tend to think they are entitled to such perks. The citizen representative envisioned by the founding fathers has transformed itself into a position of power at the expense of the common man.

196. Jay F. Baker, Stockton, CA

Jack: Certainly she should try and explain this abuse of the taxpayers dollars. However, as arrogant and aloof as she is I doubt she will open her mouth. Good reporting by the way. It's refreshing to see it on CNN.

197. Gerri Shackleford

Just plain and simple – YES!!!

198. kevin klein

Sure she should, it is tax payers money and we have the right to know where our money is being spent. Look at it this way, approx. 20-25 unemployed familys could make ends meet for one year on that kind of money

199. Greg Hill. Jupiter, FL

Ms. Pelosi should repay the cost of the Copenhagen trip as well as all of her personal use of government aircraft. Then she should promptly resign from Congress.

200. Sandra

I As a Democrat and a Italian woman and I am ashamed of the things Nancy Pelosi is doing!!! I can't believe how President Obama can let her do anything she wants without asking her to explain her acts!! She acts like she is the President and Obama is there to serve her!!!

201. Steve Logan

Nancy should not have to explain the reason for her trip. She should be made to reimburse the tax payers for her trip.

I'll give her a break, she has 30 days to return the funds.

Steve
    Oxford, CT

202. Cheryl, TN

She should definitely explain the purpose of the trip and if it cannot be tied to a direct benefit to the country, she should pay the money back. Expenses for spouses, kids, buddies, or other people who are not government officials or employees should pay the money back regardless of the reason for the trip.

203. Roland Young

YES!! We are suffering with Medicare cuts that are costing us older folks money we do not have. Even one of the best hospitals in the county, the Mayo Clinic, is no longer taking Medicare patients because of Medicare cuts.

I think that Nancy and most of the "people" on the hill live in a bubble and have no idea what it is like for regular people out in the states.

I believe she feels she is entitled because she believes she runs the country, not the president or the rest of congress.

204. Steve

Jack,
    She shouldn't have to explain it, I say She should pay for it. These people pull this then wonder why they lose Massachusettes. They just don't get it. Stop wasting our money. By the way I am a Democrat

205. bobby williams

jack.
    give nancy a break she is just trying to stimulate the economy in little ole coppenhagan . jack just think of the starving children in coppenhagan.
    bobo

206. Robert Morris

Yes! Pelosey should have to explain why the trip to Copenhagen was necessary. She also should be disiplined.

207. Mike, Paola

Isn't this a real shock, that any of these scumbuckets we have put in office would have the gall to do this. I would say we should throw all these politcians out of office and put them where they belong. The only problem is our prisons are already overcrowded

208. Judy Barger

I am an incensed Democrat. Not only does she owe us an explanation, she needs to cough up the money to pay for this with her own funds, We are already chocking on the excessive spending of the Government. This is incredible!!

209. Heather Stokes

My husband and I own a photography lab and studio. We are having to cut the hours and salary of those work for us because people don't buy pictures when they're worried about their mortgage. How can congress vote themselves a raise and the bad witch pelosi pull this as well. Yes!!! She should have to answer for what she was doing.

Heather

210. Sandy

Ya think??? She should be removed from office and jailed for abusing the system like this–but as a 34-year Federal Civil Servant, I absolutely know that this type of fraud, waste and abuse is the norm for Government leaders–every day and at every every level. It's literally sickening!!

211. Matt from Northern VA

Jack,

You seem a little too upset by this when we don't know all the details. Let's try getting some information before we open the floodgates to all the crazed hatefilled bloggers today. One could be considered reasonable in thinking that 21 congressmen going to a Climate summit might be a way to convince other contries to reduce carbon expenditure. You know how it goes jack, the whole, hey we dont have a final bill but the house recently passed climate legistlation. I'm not saying the trip was justified, but can we get a little info before the bashing?

212. Ann Marie Glaviano

Yes, she should explain who she is using tax payers money to not only take herself and family members???? Doesn't any body get in Washington, what about your own pocket book? How many of us in America volunteer our socks off and donate, time, talent and resources. Do we need Hatchets and scalpels in in DC? I think we also need some Laser surgery to melt off the malignant tumors that are choking American tax payers, those who are left standing, without fear or humility. Everybody on coach and only if you have to be! Just like the rest of us!

213. PW

This is another example of the arrogance in Washington. The very people hired to solve the largest economic/budget crisis in our time, are so unaware they spend with reckless abandon. If they behaved like this in the private sector they would be fired within 1 fiscal QTR for irresponsibility. Only in Washington can incompetents keep their job (and pay raises, and pensions, and perpetual healthcare, etc).

At a minimum they should pay the difference between "rational" expenses and their actual expenses back to the taxpayers.

214. Trish Thurston

This is but one more arrogant move of Polosi, I Not only she should publicaly account for all the monies taken for her and her coonies trip to Copenhagen, but I think with her salary she should REPAY it all.

I must say too that I think Mrs. Obama needs to stay out of politics . She is after all the first lady not an elected official and should not have gone to Copenhagen either. It was a junket for her to benefit her hometown.

215. Gary

Just have her payback the money and they spend some of it to tatoo the word "stuipd" to her forehead. That should cure any future spenders,

January 26, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  216. G Lampland

"Where's the money" Nancy??? Not only should she explain but she should reimburse the taxpayers. Unbelievable the gall of politicians!!

January 26, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  217. Robert

Mr. Cafferty, I agree with you – “What a horrible woman”. Congress doesn’t feel anything for the citizens of this county unless it affects their own welfare. Their mission is to gather votes so they can retain their job.
    The greatest improvement this country could make is to eliminate the party system. No more Democrats, Republicans, Independents or any other so-called parties. The people would then elect the individual who listened and carried out the duties for the benefit of the people.
    As issues exist now, just because one party wants one thing the other party is opposed. Bickering between parties is getting us no-where.

January 26, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  218. Todd from Miami

Absolutely, Pelosi should have to explain why it was necessary for her to spend so much money on a trip where arguably, she had no reason to attend. Was it necessary to go there to support our President? What will it take for our "leaders" in office to understand accountability. The ultimate accountability is to remove wasteful spenders from government. I hear Vancouver is nice this time of year. Why not travel there Pelosi and support our USA Olympic Team at our expense.

January 26, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  219. Stewart - Alabama

Pelosi should be required to pay the expense of her Copenhagen party that she so generously spent our tax money on. That was my experience in the private sector – If I spent lavish amounts for no logical business reason, the expense reinbursement was denied and it came out of my pocket. Welcome to the real world Madam Pelosi. We're broke thanks to you and your friends, so you may as well get used to no extra benies!

January 26, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  220. Bob rumfield

Yes, Nancy Pelosi should explain her Copenhagen Christmas vacation. But better yet, who approves the trip expenses? In corporate America, there is someone who ultimately approves the expense report. In Nancy's case is it Harry reed or the President?

January 26, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  221. Steve B

I am so disgusted with Pelosi's dangerous arrogance. I will not vote for any Democratic Congressmen unless they replace Pelosi as Speaker of the House.

January 26, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  222. Ted

Jack, in all due respect, The question is NOT whether Pelosi should answer for her and cronies trip to Copenhagen but how they are going to repay for the trip. Or at least pay for the rest of us tax payers to take a similar trip, why shouldn't we be ENTITLED!!!

January 26, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  223. Fitch

HA! Explanation?! How about a check to repay this abuse of tax payer money?! I guess ill sit back wait for that one!

January 26, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  224. JSF

How about her trip to Shanghai in the midst of all the noise about her calling the CIA liars. It's odd that that interrupted all the discussions about hearings, reprimands, etc. I wonder what the justification was for that trip. It was certainly at an opportune time. The problem is that Nancy P. will be there for a long time because her constiuency will do nothing to bounce her out of office and the general population is just kind of "ho hum" to this kind of behavior. It's sad but true.

January 26, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  225. Richard in Denver

Mrs.Pelosi...If you have any sense of R-E-A-L-I-T-Y you have to explain and document your outrageous expenditures.
    Let's amend the game of "whack-a-mole" to, yes of course, "whack-a-Pelosi !!!" And, who is going to make demands on this clueless Pelosi ?

January 26, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  226. Kathie

Jack, Not only should she explain the trip. I would like to see you post a list of who went on this trip.
    I have a right to know if any of my representatives were part of this.
    Come on Jack...post those names...including wives,lovers and kids.
    She did the same thing with her trip to Italy.

January 26, 2010 at 8:27 pm |
  227. Dave Hursh

I lived in D.C. in 1969 while my father worked @ the Pentagon and realized @ that time that our government was growing way too fast. That was 1969 and it's 2010 and spending is still a way of life for our politicians. Why would politicians' kids fly on our government's dime for any reason other than to be relocated for a foreign assignment with their parents who work for the government. This expensive and needless trip has to be explained by Pelosi and she should be reprimended if she can't!

January 26, 2010 at 8:27 pm |
  228. Mel

The short answer YES what is the difference between these actions and the CEO's getting their bonus. Seems no one is answerable to us people. and we voted for CHANGE "give us a break" I feel these people should be billed for the trip and held accountable.

January 26, 2010 at 8:27 pm |
  229. Mark Green

Yes. Nancy Pelosi's arrogance by spending taxpayer money in this way makes me sick. She and her congressional cronies think they are entitled to anything they want simply because people voted for them. As an independent voter, I'm ashamed of them and I'll remember it in November.

January 26, 2010 at 8:27 pm |
  230. Kevin Yarbrough

Normally, I don't waste my time commenting on these Republican vs Democrat frays. However, I am extremely angry about this act of out-right theft by deception. Nancy Pelosi – you and your merry band must repay the money stolen from the American public. Republicans don't be smug – I am sure you have a similar skeleton in the closet. My FELLOW Americans – we have a wonderful country, let us not sit idle and let these thieves rob us blind.

January 26, 2010 at 8:27 pm |
  231. Eric Concord MA

This is just another example of how this entire administration is coldly unaware of the distress Americans are in. One more sad commentary in a long list.

January 26, 2010 at 8:27 pm |
  232. Robert Shaw, Hercules, California

Hi Jack-

I love your commentary and usually agree with you, however, I don't believe Speaker Pelosi needs to explain anything unless all other Members of Congress explain their junkets. They've been doing this for a long time and to single one person out, I think is unfair. It is, after all, a perk of elected office. There are many "reforms" that should be enacted but won't because neither the Democrats nor Republicans will pass the necessary legislation.

January 26, 2010 at 8:27 pm |
  233. Jim Charters

Nancy Pelosi gets her sense of entitlement from the same place many others in a similar position get theirs. They feel justified in living a lifestyle paid for by others because they believe they have achieved a certain status in life and that status deserves what they consider the perks that go along with the position. As far as those who have to pay for it–in the words of Marie Antoinette, "Let them eat cake."

January 26, 2010 at 8:27 pm |
  234. John Cwynar

Jack

Keep up the good work monitoring the spending habits of our government officials. How is this any different than the auto industry CEO's travelling by jet to the House/Senate Hearings?

"You Betcha" Ms. Pelosi should account for her actions!!!

Orchard Park, NY
    Home of the Bills

January 26, 2010 at 8:27 pm |
  235. emil - st. louis

Explain? No. She should just give us one, only one good reason why she should come back to work tomorrow morning. But don't hold your breath, she wouldn't have one. So effective immediately she should be fired and in the process, as part of her severance package, she should help Sen. Reid clean up his desk as well.

January 26, 2010 at 8:28 pm |
  236. Lena from Indiana

Yes, she should explain the trip. So should the Chief of the Census Bureau who flew to Alaska so he could make the first enrollment of the 2010 census. He could have gone to Maryland more cheaply.

January 26, 2010 at 8:28 pm |
  237. Randy Duval

Wait a minute, the auto makers were shamed by congress for taking corporate jets to DC. Then they came back with their tails between their legs in cars they built. I own a company and run it lean, to live.

January 26, 2010 at 8:28 pm |
  238. Deborah Upton

Yes, she should be held accountable for spending yet MORE of our money. It must be great to have limitless dollars at your disposal and no one to answer to about how you spend it. The people running our country have lost all credibility. They are there working for their own agendas, ignoring the very people who voted for them. The entire administration is sorely lacking leadership, common sense, and intgegrity.

January 26, 2010 at 8:28 pm |
  239. Gail Rooney

Abolutely YES, Polosi should explain herself and so should Mr. Obama. I voted for him and back him in every way, but the idea that his people can take a trip like this and justify not giving Social Security recipients a cost of living increase, means to me that us older citizens have to pay for the pleasures of this administration. Even if the trip is proven to be justified, how about taking money from someone other than older citizens who are having a tough enough time without benefits being cut.

January 26, 2010 at 8:28 pm |
  240. book

Hell yea!!!!

Humble, TX

January 26, 2010 at 8:28 pm |
  241. Carol

I do not really care whether Ms. Pelosi explains her trip but I would like for her to pay for it, I am quite sure she can afford it. She among many others need to be held accountable. It would truly be wonderful if we all had a say in how our money is spent. There is only one we will all answer to someday!
    Carol, Florida

January 26, 2010 at 8:28 pm |
  242. Liz Toth

Yes, Pelosi should be held to account for expenses on the tax payer's dollar just as business men and women are held to account when they spend their employer's dollar.

January 26, 2010 at 8:28 pm |
  243. Bob Colvin

Thank you Jack, for exposing this elitist congresswoman for all to see.

Her disrespect for the rules is only outdone by her belief that she knows better than the hardworking women and men in this country what's best for us! Part of a California contingent of liberals with an agenda to redistribute wealth....as long as it's not hers.

Arrogance, i.e., offensive display of superiority or self-importance, does not even begin to describe....
    bc

January 26, 2010 at 8:28 pm |
  244. Cathy

I am truly scared for our country. When members of Congress can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars without any explanation while so many are without jobs. I think Obama's spending freeze needs to start with his own high ranking party officials. Sad, sad, sad!

January 26, 2010 at 8:29 pm |
  245. Patti

Shock and awe, I am not surprised. Her spending is out of control just like the rest of the government. Things never change. Scary thought, if some thing bad happened, she could end up president. Wouldn't that be something.

January 26, 2010 at 8:29 pm |
  246. Mary Beth Killian

The arrogance of these politicians is staggering. This is nothing new, however. What is hopeful is the emergence of a "third party" known as independents. We will vote these incompetents out and get this country back to its core values.

January 26, 2010 at 8:29 pm |
  247. E. Paul Bailey

This is not a matter to explain, except possibly in a court proceeding. The sheer disregard for the public purse this woman has displayed during her tenure in office is legendary, I believe that this particular instance rises to the level of warranting an investigation into criminal misconduct.

January 26, 2010 at 8:30 pm |
  248. don

I spent 20 years in the marines and everything I read about using Goverment equipment always said for officail bussness so with that being said taking family and frends isn't offical bussness

So yes she should but good luck with that make her justafied it

January 26, 2010 at 8:30 pm |
  249. Leslie Anderson

A+ CNN for uncovering this extraordinary story. I am sure Ms. Pelosi would graciously forego her salary for the next few years and travel to Haiti, leaving her high heals, jewels and makeup at home, and spend a several weeks helping the Haitians during their massive disaster.

Thank you ~ Leslie Anderson, Stowe, Vermont

January 26, 2010 at 8:30 pm |
  250. Ann

I don't care if she explains her motives as long as she pays it all back. Now!
    Her motives don't need to be explained as they are obvious. She is an arrogant, egocentric, lying bitch who thinks her position places her above the law. I don't believe she has a shred of common decency.

January 26, 2010 at 8:31 pm |
  251. Martha Mumford

Yes!! It is becoming more and more apparent. Those that have MORE dollars than they do cents!! Even at the expense of my hard earned, taxpaying dollar!! I, for the life of me, cannot fathom why they JUST DO NOT GET IT!!! It would be as if I DID NOT have to explain why I did NOT pay my taxes.

January 26, 2010 at 8:31 pm |
  252. sheridan l burgess

no i think no one should have the right;s to a blank check writen by any one in the goverment with out monertine who what when and why thay need the cash for

January 26, 2010 at 8:31 pm |
  253. Ken Daniels

If you live in here District then it is your business, otherwise Jack you offend me with your comments. I have no problem with Copenhaven if it was official government business. You are real quick to criticize without all the facts. I highly recommend you try another profession. In the meantime review Peter's Law.

January 26, 2010 at 8:31 pm |
  254. Oumarou

Jack, this people dont care about us.Especially Nacy Pelosi all she do is running her mouth.

NYC.

January 26, 2010 at 8:31 pm |
  255. Doug

One of the big problems in this country is "accountability".......
    The financial mess we find ourselves in is partly due to the lack of accountability and the "do whatever I want attitude" of financial moguls in this country. Speaker Pelosi....is accountable to the American public and definitely should be held accountable. Shes owes us a good explanation.

January 26, 2010 at 8:31 pm |
  256. Karl from SF, CA

Dave Matovich
    Lighten up. My Congressional clowns aren't going to get voted out any more then your Congressional clowns. I still want to see everyone’s junket’s listed for public viewing with passenger lists.

January 26, 2010 at 8:32 pm |
  257. Troy in CA

Interesting... Not a single comment in favor of her trip... and this isn't even FOX!

January 26, 2010 at 8:32 pm |
  258. Gary from Vernon

Kick all the leaches outta office, take away their pensions and give them social security like the rest of us and relieve them of their health insurance and let them have the garbage they are trying to shove down our throats called health care. If they need to travel, go commercial like the rest of us, preferably in the BLUE WATER TANK!!!!

January 26, 2010 at 8:32 pm |
  259. A. Probst

Explain the purpose of the trip? Absolutely. That would be a good start. Not only for Ms. Pelosi, but for all of her colleagues as well. In any economic climate politicians should be held responsible for how they spend our tax dollars! Two jets and six nights (for a two night stay) at a five star hotel – way over the top. If these folks need a vacation they should be required to pay for it out of pocket just like the rest of us.

January 26, 2010 at 8:32 pm |
  260. Lorraine Warren

I was cheering outloud when you finished yourcomments about this arrogant woman–it is mind-boggling what she gets away with and with not the slightest hint of shame on her part. Thank you, thank you, thank you for saying this outloud to the world. She has a high position in gaovernment during a tough time for most Americans and has the audacity to spend our money on her personal entertainment. As far as I am concerned she is a criminal.

January 26, 2010 at 8:32 pm |
  261. Pat in Illinois

She should be called across the carpet and made to explain how necessary or productive this “junket” was to the American economy and how many jobs were created in the process. Place her response for a vote by the American Taxpayer to decide who pays for this arrogance. How many staffers, congressman, spouses and children would have made this trip if they were personally paying for it? This is an insult to all American Taxpayers and she should be held accountable and liable for every cent spent. Who approves her expense reports? --most important of all, who is watching over Nancy Pelosi's spending of our hard earned money?

January 26, 2010 at 8:32 pm |
  262. thomas cochran

this is obscene. whats really scarey is this person is third in line for the presidency.the reason the dem,s lost massachusets is not their candidate,the current scapegoat, but that pelosi and her pals are running roughshod over the congressional process in total. this person needs to be sacked by the president and replaced with a more moderate democrate who is more respectful of the responsibilty they have to the american people.

January 26, 2010 at 8:32 pm |
  263. S. Barnes

Ms Pelousy hasn't explained any of her egotistical paranoid delusions of grandeur yet.....why start now?? Poor thing – she could just have an undiagnosed mental disorder where excessive spending is a symptom! (come on – she always has an excuse)

January 26, 2010 at 8:33 pm |
  264. Mary

Yes Ms. Pelosi should be required to give a detailed explanation! She should be required to pay it back. These people are so out of touch with the real world! I'm tired of it. Does she not have to have such expenditures approved in advance? Perhaps WE THE PEOPLE need to make some rules that the folks in Washington must follow!

January 26, 2010 at 8:33 pm |
  265. Julene Chavis

Nancy and all our over-indulgent congressional representatives would say: "LET THEM EAT CAKE".

January 26, 2010 at 8:33 pm |
  266. Roger - Encinitas, CA

YES. I would certainly like to hear what the third in the line to the Presidency has to justify this trip.

January 26, 2010 at 8:33 pm |
  267. Mary & Joe Roome

How about a refund and an explanation, from Queen Nancy?

January 26, 2010 at 8:33 pm |
  268. Billie Eldridge

Personally, I have had a "belly-full" of "Queen Nancy". Explain it? Hell, let her pay for it. When I take a vacation, I have to pay for it. When is Washington going to wake up and realize their "pocket-book" belongs to the people!

January 26, 2010 at 8:33 pm |
  269. Reginald

Jack,
    It's nonsense. House Speaker Pelosi thinks that the governmental perks are to be used for her personal use. No, she should not be in Copenhagen. Her duties as the Speaker of the House are to run Congress and not to be in charge of the EPA. This has happened in the past when she went to Italy. What justifies her making these trips when the President has designated personnel to handle these duties.

January 26, 2010 at 8:34 pm |
  270. Kyle, Oklahoma

Of course she should. She is a member of Congress and thus an elected official. Any and all of their expenditures should be public record if they are on official business. And something to think about is that whenever these elected officials travel around the world and represent the U.S. they also represent us, the citizens. If they are wasting money with big extravagant accommodations at these various events, does this not reflect bad on all of our country as a whole. If we are in a huge recession shouldn't our elected officials RESEMBLE this instead of giving the rest of the world the image that we, or should I say they, are in denial? Makes no sense at all.

January 26, 2010 at 8:34 pm |
  271. MIchele

As George Orwell says in Animal Farm: All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

There's nothing I like better than knowing that 40 % of my earnings go to taxes, so I work for months just to give it to the govt, only to have Pelosi and her staff live like royalty on those $s on a journey – climate change conference in Copenhagen – that's a farce.

January 26, 2010 at 8:34 pm |
  272. Desert Lou

Whos's watch was this on? What a display of irresponsibility!! The arrogance of it all !! I don't care about an explanation but I'd like to write an invoice to get back our tax money back from those people. Good luck trying to collect ! I feel like turning Republican !

January 26, 2010 at 8:34 pm |
  273. Su

YES! Thanx for the hint, Jack...

January 26, 2010 at 8:34 pm |
  274. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

No Jack, she shouldn't explain. We should just tar and feather her and run her out of DC on a rail. The arrogance of Democrats is exactly why Scott Brown won. November can't come soon enough.

January 26, 2010 at 8:35 pm |
  275. Rob Canfield

I not only think Nancy P. must explain, but I think President Obama should call her to his office for that explanation. If something like her junket occurred in Corporate America, she would not only be asked, but would be told that she was out of line and this sort of thing would then be addressed corporate wide and no longer tolerated. As President, the "buck stops here" phrase must first of all apply to staff and his party at large. We support our elected President and want him to succeed as he leads the nation, but we also expect the highest accountability and transparency in his office and dealings.

January 26, 2010 at 8:35 pm |
  276. docb

Jack,
    Explain–let us talk reimbursement in full. Was she invited with this entourage? A six day charge for a two day stay,..I beg your pardon!
    Unacceptable to say the very least..

What was accomplished on this little Holiday junket?
    Exactly what has been accomplished at home -NOTHING!

That is our Congress–all for the peoples money –for our needs –NOT SO MUCH!

January 26, 2010 at 8:35 pm |