January 5th, 2010

How satisfied are you with your job?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

If you're lucky enough to have a job, a record number of you aren't satisfied with it.

A new survey shows only 45-percent of workers are happy with what they do - that's the lowest level ever recorded in more than 22-years.

Part of the reason, of course, is the worst recession since the Great Depression. But it's not just the recession. Worker dissatisfaction has actually been increasing for more than two decades.

Here's some of what this survey found:

• Only about half of workers find their jobs interesting... also a new low in this poll's history
  • Incomes haven't kept up with inflation: most wages grew in the 80s and 90s... but have been shrinking since 2000
  • The soaring cost of health insurance means workers' take home less money at the end of the day...

Other key findings in this poll done by the "The Conference Board":

• Workers under 25 years old were the most dissatisfied with their jobs
  • 43 percent of workers say they feel secure in their jobs
  • 56 percent say they like their coworkers
  • 56 percent say they're satisfied with their commute
  • 51 percent say they're satisfied with their boss.

Economists say that if this trend in job satisfaction isn't reversed... it could wind up hurting innovation along with America's competitiveness and productivity. And with unemployment at levels we haven't seen in decades, it's difficult to imagine being able to address this issue any time soon.

Here’s my question to you: How satisfied are you with your job?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Sue writes:
Workers under 25 are most dissatisfied because they plain don't want to work, they have been coddled beyond belief and the feeling of having to go out and work for a living is just too stressful. This is the future of our country and they are already complaining about 40 hours per week and missing out on all their social activities.

Jim from Honolulu writes:
I work in a restaurant right on Waikiki Beach, and couldn't possibly be happier due to the stunning scenery, perfect weather, and personal interactions. I think this shows the vital importance of location to job satisfaction. I'm sure an identical job in decaying Detroit, for instance, would be a real bummer.

J. writes:
I worked in the private sector for 30 years and things got done, and 98% of the time they got done correctly. When my company went under, I was forced to take a big cut in pay and a job with the IRS. Now I know why I avoided working for the government for 30 years.

Bud from Reston, Virginia writes:
As long as I'm working every day and getting a regular paycheck, I'm satisfied, Jack. Not too many people can honestly say: I love my job. Artistic people and musicians are among the few that would do what they do for nothing - mainly because they would rather create and perform then anything else. Then with talent, hard work and a few breaks the money follows. But that's rare.

Bob from Baltimore writes:
I have a job, I am satisfied.

I love my job, and am thankful that I'm employed and working for a great company. I've had some pretty awful jobs in the past, and for the first time in over a decade, I'm happy. I really enjoy working with my co-workers and my boss – everyone is kind, respectful and helpful. I couldn't ask for a better place to be.

Signed “Wolf and Jack”

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Darrell Wright from Anderson, Indiana

Considering all the college and training schools I needed to attend just to get my foot in the door and not do what I was supposedly train to do, I am not satisfied at all with my job. Just the education needed to get into the door cost more than what I will earn in the next three years. It appears, many of us were lied to when they stated "to get a better paying job, you need to have a college degree." I am barely making more than my cousin who works as a manager at the local Wal-Mart.

January 5, 2010 at 3:01 pm |
  2. Rob of Brooklyn

extremely so !

January 5, 2010 at 3:05 pm |
  3. Tom in Desoto, Tx

I’m very satisfied with my job, I’m retired. I got up at 9:45 today.

January 5, 2010 at 3:06 pm |
  4. Rick McDaniel

I have hated every minute of the last 24 1/2 yrs. However, I wanted to have a retirement, so I stayed anyway.

My wife's is just as bad. The cut backs, and profit seeking, combined, have resulted in a hostile work environment, where there is inadequate manpower, and constant harassment, to get more done, with far fewer people. She complains about work, every single day, and especially about how people are being treated at work.

January 5, 2010 at 3:10 pm |
  5. Adam Simi Valley, CA

I am grateful everyday to have one.

January 5, 2010 at 3:11 pm |
  6. Willow, Iowa

I have a disability that makes it difficult for me to work a lot of hours. I work 24 hours a week as a nurse. I get full healthcare benefits. Other than the difficulty of the paperwork and state rules, I am very satisfied to be working and receiving benefits, especially in these times.

January 5, 2010 at 3:11 pm |
  7. Al, Lawrence KS

I run my own small business...and my boss sucks...if he doesn't give me a raise soon, I'm quitting.

January 5, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
  8. Paul Round Rock, Texas

Not much anymore. They sent most of the jobs overseas and when you call to "work" with them they act as if they do not have a clue about what you are talking about. They also want us to work the jobs of three and do so by working at home until all hours. What makes me most unsatisfied is it looks like if companies continue to operate like this less and less will either go out of business or move overseas altogether.

January 5, 2010 at 3:15 pm |
  9. David Bebeau,Springfield Missouri

Jack
    What Job ????????????

January 5, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
  10. Denny from Tacoma, WA

How satified am I with what job? The one that I used to have or the one I cannot seem to get?

January 5, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
  11. KarenB, central Florida

For years I was satisfied with my job. It was interesting, looked forward to being there from day to day, didn't get paid extreme big bucks but ok. The last few years before I took early retirement (after 20), not so much. Cutbacks, changes just to say "change" – not because it was beneficial, and when time proved not beneficial, the refusal to put it back right –
    Corporate greed.
    This was 12 years ago. From all we see and hear whats going on all over these days, I'd be surprised to see very many "satisfied" ... these days just having a job might be cause for "satisfaction."

January 5, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
  12. roger

Job? what job? I got fed up, walked out, and retired 2 years ago. Financially it would be better to work, but at least I am not takinng 5-6 ibuprofen to relax the tension in my shoulders in order ro sleep at night. My ex supervisor has asked me to return 5 or 6 times, but it just isn't worth it.

January 5, 2010 at 3:25 pm |
  13. Steve in Chula Vista, CA

Satisfied to still be in business, even if I am making only half of what I made last year and my employees are making more than I am. But I am also fearful of how much longer we can hold on in this stagnant economy, the cost of doing business is rising, but yet our fees are having to be cut just to keep our doors open as well as our percentage that we pay towards the unemployment fund has more than doubled, the government needs to understand we aren't their bottomless ATM machine.

January 5, 2010 at 3:25 pm |
  14. Ed

I'm very satisfied...that I have one.

Ed
    Texas

January 5, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
  15. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

I have the best job in the world and especially since it doesn't require me to put up with people. I get to spoil my wife as much as possible and cook supper and clean the kitchen. Are any of you men jealous yet?

January 5, 2010 at 3:29 pm |
  16. Bud Rupert, Reston, VA

As long as I'm working everyday and getting a regular paycheck I'm satisfied Jack.

Not too many people can honestly say: I love my job. Artistic people and musciians are among the few that would do what they do for nothing....Mainly, because they would rather create and perform then anything else. Then with talent, hard work and a few breaks the money follows. But that's rare.

January 5, 2010 at 3:33 pm |
  17. Sandra in Temecula, CA

No raise in 2 years, but I am one of the lucky ones, still working 40 hours with no pay cut. Many business owners are taking advantage of the recession to take benefits away from employees. When the economy improves my resume will be going out. Problem is, not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel anytime soon.

January 5, 2010 at 3:36 pm |
  18. Tina Tx

I am unemployed but if I had a job I would probably be unhappy since all my friends keep saying that they have not got a raise in years and their benefits keep shrinking while the owners keep giving themselves raises.

January 5, 2010 at 3:37 pm |
  19. Sharon

Satisfied or not – I'm thankful to have a job period.

New York, NY

January 5, 2010 at 3:38 pm |
  20. Andy in Vancouver, BC

Right now, I love my job, along with the city I live in, my health care, my lower taxes, and plenty of other things that make up the great American dream I always heard about. Of course, to find these things I did have to move to Canada...

January 5, 2010 at 3:39 pm |
  21. Dave, Brooklyn, NY

My job is to look for one. Looking for a job is expensive, time consuming and doesn’t put food on the table. It has no benefits, no vacation time, no perks and results in negative savings. So I’d have to say that it stinks and I’m not the least bit satisfied with it.

January 5, 2010 at 3:40 pm |
  22. Joanne B

I'm sure at this point in time people are glad simply to have a job.
    Joanne B
    Mn

January 5, 2010 at 3:43 pm |
  23. Brian Smith PhD

Job? Job? Reprise me on what is a “Job? “ Was it something left over from a previous generation. Or perhaps that is something that was outsourced. In either case, a Job is only but a myth (at least for about 15 million Americans).

January 5, 2010 at 3:47 pm |
  24. Jane (Minnesota)

I'm very satisfied.

January 5, 2010 at 3:59 pm |
  25. Jimmy from Houston, TX

Job, what job? But it's ok, they keep on extending the unemployment benefits. Pretty soon unemployment will be like welfare, permanent!

January 5, 2010 at 3:59 pm |
  26. JENNA

How satisfied are you with your job?

Jack I haven't had one since 2006 so I would be satisfied to get one.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

January 5, 2010 at 3:59 pm |
  27. Cheryl in Bluffton, SC

While I love working at home as a medical transcriptionist, I have taken a 20% cut in pay in the last few years as healthcare costs have overwhelmed the small company I work for and we are competing against companies who send these jobs overseas. I can't make a living at it anymore, so I'm taking a class in order to change careers. I suspect there are millions of Americans in my situation.

January 5, 2010 at 4:00 pm |
  28. Maria

I'm disabled and am out of the job market. There are underground cash-only jobs I'd love to tap into. I'm really tired of eating Pedigree canned dog food!

Maria

Brunswick,MD

January 5, 2010 at 4:01 pm |
  29. Kevin, Chester Springs PA

Love my boss. Love where I work. Love what I do. Hey, that's why I'm self-employed and work from my home!

January 5, 2010 at 4:04 pm |
  30. John from Alabama

Jack: I am retired, but the job is great. Retirement is gooooood!! The pay could be better, but fishing is gooood!! Playing golf is Gooood!!! The wife is old, but then so am I. Life is Gooood!! Jack, it does not pay to complain because no one cares. The weather is below freezing, so I stay home. The house is warm. Life is good. See, Jack.

January 5, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  31. Brian Delray Beach, FL

I don't have a job. I was disabled because my employer chose to cost save some equipment I needed to perform a part of my job and I was injured as a result. To get on disability I had to sue my employer, the insurance company carrying their coverage and Workers Compensation. My wife has no job because her employer found that downsizing reduces payroll, cuts insurance costs, improves the bottom line and, scares the hell out of those emplyees left on the job. The stock market is up because unemployment is up and Dick Cheney and the Republicans plus Senator Aetna have had a very good year. On to 2012.

January 5, 2010 at 4:13 pm |
  32. Lil Me

The results of this survey really surprise me. I guess those surveyed never heard the expression "do what you love and the money will follow." I followed that advice and have a job I love .... should that job be eliminated, there are ways I can still do what I love.

January 5, 2010 at 4:20 pm |
  33. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Very much even if the pay is low!

January 5, 2010 at 4:20 pm |
  34. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Jack,

a job is always better than no job but any parent raising a child always works for them to find their passion in life because then it does not feel like work and for some we find our memory of our passion later in life!

January 5, 2010 at 4:24 pm |
  35. Lance, Ridgecrest, Ca

Jack, my job is being a Grandfather/Great Grandfather, and until a few months ago I was extremely satisfied, happy, and secure doing it. Today I live in fear as the Democrats and Obama push forward with costly government health care, SS cuts, more taxes from every direction, increased deficit spending, and for the first time since I started working 50+ years ago, I live in fear of becoming impoverished in my retirement, and a burden on my family.

January 5, 2010 at 4:25 pm |
  36. Chandler T., Rockaway, NJ

Jack,
    The most important foundation for a middle-class life is a job, and we have allowed US jobs to be shipped overseas by the millions, and not just manufacturing. No wonder the dwindling number of of employed feel trapped in dead-end, meaningless work. The lives of two generations have been ruined: those in their 50s and 60s who will never regain the good-paying jobs they once had, and those in their 20s who will never have a chance to even start a career.

January 5, 2010 at 4:26 pm |
  37. Alex in Seattle

I would love a job to hate!

Jobless in Seattle

January 5, 2010 at 4:27 pm |
  38. Ann from Hampton, New Jersey

Working in a nursing home I find my job most gratifying. All they want is someone to take time to give them a kind word or a hug, especially the ones that do not get many visitors. They give me more than I give to them. There but for the grace of God go I and unfortunately a lot of us may some day be in that situation.

January 5, 2010 at 4:37 pm |
  39. Paul P

I am generally alright with my job and employer, but I am frustrated with the lack of dialogue with management whenever changes are being considered. I am weary of changes meant to look good on managers reports but only cause added stress and hassle for the people implementing them. Wouldn't input from the people doing the work be beneficial once in a while?

January 5, 2010 at 4:42 pm |
  40. Joey in Los Angeles, CA

Obama and his policies are hurting the future of competitiveness and productivity. The current administration is against capitalism and way too supportive of Unions. They need to learn the constant taxation of businesses will only lead to more jobs leaving this country.......permanently. The small businesses that are able to hang through this recession will not be hiring anyone back anytime soon. Our remaining employees are feeling fortunate to still have a job. California's recovery will lag behind the rest of the nation.

January 5, 2010 at 4:43 pm |
  41. Steve in Chula Vista, CA

As a small business owner I have noticed over the last 10 years that the kids we hire right out of high school don't want to work. Full time employment interferes with their fun. The strong work ethic of years back has been replaced by a generation that hasn't had to work for anything, parents have provided everything for them. The current administration only enforces the coddling started by parents. It is no surprise to me that more people are not happy with working.........period!

January 5, 2010 at 4:47 pm |
  42. Hugo Kijne

I often hate my job, but I'm always glad that I have one.

Hoboken, NJ

January 5, 2010 at 4:49 pm |
  43. Ryan, Galesburg, IL

Well, there is a reason that it is called "work"... The other side of the coin is that corporate profits and the undermining of the middle class has made for a very unpleasant work atmosphere. Competative wage making and the quickly disappearing benefits of yester-year have combined with families having to take on extra jobs just to maintain a basic comfort level.
    I think that corporate welfare and commodity bubbles that strip people of their wealth are leading us to disaster.

January 5, 2010 at 4:50 pm |
  44. Jeff Crocket in New Britain, CT

If I had one I could tell you!!

January 5, 2010 at 4:52 pm |
  45. Lou from North Carolina

I think the older you get, the more you like your job because there comes a time when you decide to stay or leave and that happens when you are in your 40's normally. It might be that the question should be "Do you like your boss or your working conditions?" I think most people like their jobs and get a satisfaction out of performing whatever service they perform......or they would change jobs.

January 5, 2010 at 5:05 pm |
  46. Terry, Chandler AZ

I am in a construction related industry. I did quite well financially from 2003 – 2007. I loved going to work each day. Things suck now. I still enjoy the challenges of the daily battle to do well.

January 5, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  47. Terry in Hanover

You should do a study about us older folks and our satisfaction with the employment environment now. A friend, who was a nurse, now cleans houses and does odd jobs for people. She's happy to be making any money at her age (71). I'm self-employed but my business is dead at the moment. Like my friend, I'm looking for odd jobs to help make ends meet. Some folks scoff at those working in fast food establishments, but it's better, fiscally and emotionally, to have a job earning money than to be looking for something and finding nothing. One day this will all change again. Employers will be crying out for good employees. It's a shame that these same employers don't remember how hard it was to find someone with experience and treat that person fairly rather than see older workers as just another expense to abuse or eliminate during lean times.

January 5, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  48. Jeff In Minnesota

If you think 80 hour work weeks, no raise and no vacation is a good deal, then my job is great.

January 5, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  49. jenny

Jack,
    I work at a job that I enjoy but I work in a hostile working environment. Management and two people in particular are very hostile towards me and have done everything including making stuff up to get me to quit. I will not quit because 1) I am stubborn and will not give certain people the satisfaction of winning. and 2) The alter at which we all worship Insurance. I have excellant insurance and really do not want to lose it. I suck it up and go on because of these two things and I really care about my clients and enjoy my co workers. I work for the Labor Dept so Job security is not really an issue jusy my sanity.

January 5, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  50. Doug - Dallas, TX

I would love to tell you I'm satisfied but since I've been unemployed for two years, I would simply be satisfied to have a job.

January 5, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  51. Janne from NC

Im so grateful just to have a job I am very satisfied.

January 5, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  52. Ed from California

My job now is being retired, so, I'm very satisfied. I would like to have your job, Jack. Work eight minutes a day five days a week. And get all kinds of vacation time, how sweet it is.

January 5, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  53. Scott Stodden

Well Jack where I live and that's two hours from Chicago we have no good secure jobs. We have restaurants, we have stores, we have banks but we don't have factory jobs or anything really what a depressing place to live and oh yeah Jack our unemployment in our city is at a 12% so you tell me. The people who do work I know alot of them have to go outside of town to work some in Wisconsin!

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

January 5, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  54. cy

I'm writing this from work. If you FINALLY read one of my entries on the air, it will probably get me fired. NOT very satisfying. Some Guy from America

January 5, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  55. Mode (PDX)

I have mixed feelings about my job, Jack. On one hand I work for a fortune 500 company which rewards executives who make only the most marginal contributions to the success of our company (and are most often responsible for our corporate failures); yet are rewarded a ridiculous amount of money for their work–this disgusts me. I am not a shareholder and my company makes it impossible for me to get ahead in life. Its clear, based on how profits are distributed at my company, that our board of directors has absolutely zero concern for the health of the USA. Our corporate culture is as despicable as that aristocratic culture which won itself so many turns at the guillotine, in the French Revolution.

On the other hand, it looks like I'll start production of my first feature film this year and life couldn't be better. I know I have it much easier as an aspiring filmmaker in the USA, juxtaposed to other Countries.... so I'm really happy with my weekend job and self employment.

Having two jobs, one which is self employed, has made all the difference when it comes to being satisfied with what I do for labor. If I was just working for my company, I would be as dissatisfied as any revolutionary has ever been. Our degenerate business model, however, needs to change and at this point I believe any means justify such ends.

January 5, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  56. adem, oakland California

Well... hmm...I do not have a job!

January 5, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  57. Richard, Kankakee, IL.

Not one bit, being let go so that the company can save money, then having to take a job as a cook to keep food on the table, with a Masters in Business Administration seems like a total waste of my time, and over a hundred thousand dollars in debt! Now tell me would you be satisfied? Having a 3.58 GPA mean nothing now, the whole reason we go to college is to earn more, that just did not work out to well!

January 5, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  58. Mari Fernandez, Utah

Love my job, Jack! I am a volunteer, helping the homeless & poor families. Love giving back to our community!

January 5, 2010 at 5:36 pm |
  59. cy

For years institutions have dumbed down jobs so that you don't have to read, add or speak English. The financial crisis has given every mid level bureacrat the excuse to freeze salaries. Bureacrats aren't cutting their shopping lists, but salaries and benefits are taking a beating for those lucky enough to have a job. The laws that protect consumers and employees are an obscene joke. Bosses don't master their crafts, they usually rise within an organization based on the number of backs they stab or butts they kiss. The middle ages are back and we who work are the new peasants, dirt under the feet of the rich and the whores who serve them in Congress. No, I'm not satisfied with that. cy from arllington, va

January 5, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  60. Linda in Arizona

I'm out of the work force now, but I hated every job I ever had. I hate working for anyone else. I don't want anyone telling me what to do or how to spend my time. I'm the world's worst employee. I always felt exploited by my employers, and I had zero loyalty for any of them. They were uniformly only interested in their bottom lines.

January 5, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  61. Brian

Jack,

I love my job! I work in multimedia and marketing at a real estate firm in Idaho and it's a challenging and rewarding career. I'm a 27-year-old college grad and I can proudly say my job is awesome.

Brian
    Boise, ID

January 5, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  62. john .... marlton, nj

I am very satified
    I have deep respect for my boss ... he is a great guy
    I have never worked for anyone better
    My boss is incredibly flexible in respect to my scheduling needs
    I work very hard in return for the appreciation my boss gives me.
    I know my boss respects all his employees
    employees they are like like family to my boss
    even my boss's family treats me well

I am self employed ....

January 5, 2010 at 6:04 pm |
  63. Terry from Zion, IL

Jack,
    Workers in America have plenty of reasons not to be satisfied. Since George W. Bush and the Republicans took over in 2000, workers wages have been practically stagnant, while CEO's and executives soar and 1.5 million jobs have been outsourced from America while giving companies tax cuts to do so, and they gave the richest 5 % in America huge tax cuts worth 2.5 trillion dollars. Outsourced jobs looses medical benefits, looses tax revenue and looses consumer buying power.
    Thanks to the Republican policies towards the American worker, there is plenty of reason for not being satified !!!
    Republicans will give 2.5 trillion to rich Americans in tax cuts during war time while they refuse to give 1 trillion to working Americans for healthcare and medical benefits since they approved tax cuts to outsource their jobs !!! Hopefully the Democrats will do something to change it !!!

January 5, 2010 at 6:11 pm |
  64. Jim in Alabama

I'm retired Jack and wouldn't trade it for any other job. After 36 years in the salt mines, I can now get up, read my paper over coffee, and plan my day because it's MINE. Oh yes, and keep up with the Cafferty file.

January 5, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  65. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

Jack,
    I work for myself, set my own hours, pick my own projects, set my own prices and live my own life (unless my wife/partner) tells me I can't...
    Even with that, I got it GOOD! I love my job!!

January 5, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  66. GWTripp, Mch'sburg, PA

I love my job. I get to help children become learned adults. I interact with the kids. I like to see their smiling faces.

January 5, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  67. Maziar

Hi,

Job security does not exist anymore, i worked at Bank of America and about 1500 got layed of in 2003; i went to Safeco Insurance and the jobs went to India and they pay them $1 an hour. There are hundreds of thousands of highly intelligent and hard working people that are unemployed/underemployed and until the economy improves the majority of people are going to be very unsatisfied with their jobs.

The best place is to be back in college; or just like so many people get a job, any job and ride it out. Yes, we will be dissatisfied, frustrated, and may not like the people we work with, but it is a paycheck until things get better.

Mazi

Visalia Ca

January 5, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  68. Adi P

While my company has posted record profits over last 5-10 years (Bio-Pharma company), me and my co-workers have seen their checks shrink and no raise in these past years blaming on economy. They have billions in cash and no debt and they are doing better now than before and still nothing for employees. It seems like the "new" American dream is to keep the shareholders happy, and not the employees who are burning candles on both ends.

January 5, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  69. Michael Masiello

It is not a question of either or ... if we're not already supporting the protesters in Iran then shame on us. If its a question of more then keep sending in the troops an option on the table

January 5, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  70. Gary - Woodhaven, Michigan

As long as leadership is defined and understood as control, command, and might over human beings, instead of guidance, and delivering a sense of mattering and security, then most people will never be satisfied with their jobs as they are merely tasks and drudgery.

The ancient Chinese philosopher Lao Tze said:
    A leader is best
    When people barely know he exists.
    Not so good when people obey and acclaim him.
    Worse when they despise him.
    "Fail to honor people,
    They fail to honor you;"
    But of a good leader, who talks little,
    when his work is done, his aim fulfilled,
    They will say, "We did this ourselves".

Myself, I've got the best job, I'm retired.

January 5, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  71. Bruce - Delaware

It is important that everyone do what energizes them – that which they can get excited about. The only reason you would not like your job is if you chose to do a job on purpose that you don't like. A tad weird at best. You have freedom of choice!

January 5, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  72. Jane/Seattle

Many of us HATE our jobs not because they are always terrible, BUT because the Corporatocracy, with complicity from government Never talks about the Elephant in this Livingroom! WE ARE GROSSLY UNDERPAID as these companies get massively wealthy from our blood, sweat and tears! This is why the TSA folks are not up on it! In the beginning Rumsfeld had them making good bucks, but then the budget got shaved and all the money went elsewhere! Is it any wonder that this poor young duped man on the plane is angry? We all are getting angrier by the day as we see ourselves being continuously ROBBED by the RICH! Get a $.35 raise and the rent goes up $50.!

January 5, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  73. Corey

My job is helping with inventory counts in various stores. I've been with the company for six years but only during the past two have I been extremely dissatisfied, even to the point of being constantly depressed. The times that I work are either early in the morning or late at night. That's not so bad when you consider this: In the past year or so, my company has been a real bear on productivity, i.e. how fast you count. You are eligible for a "bonus" if you meet or beat a set goal individually or as a group. Likewise, you can be penalized if your performance is not up to their standards. The problem is that the goal is very difficult, if not impossible, to achieve without cheating, and you are more likely to have your pay docked. Once in a great while, I actually do earn the "bonus", but it only amounts to a few cents while the penalty is significantly more than that. Add in supervisors that I don't particularly care for along with a strong desire to walk away from a job that many would kill to have, and you are looking at one unhappy customer.

-Corey from Michigan

January 5, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  74. Troy Fairview, Texas,

I am thrilled with my job. I work in law Enforcement and as long as there is crime and criminals and I don't try and arrest any of president Obama's personal friends i am in great shape.

January 5, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
  75. Matthew

Am I reading this right? Workers under 25 are the most dissatisfied with their jobs, and they spent how much money on this poll?

January 5, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  76. C.K.

January 5, 2010 at 7:08 pm |
  77. Sue

January 5, 2010 at 7:08 pm |
  78. Bill in Amado, AZ

What job? I've been unemployed since November, 2008. There aren't any jobs around here. And if one comes open then there are 700 people applying for it. I would even be willing to commute to where you are, Jack, just for a job right now. Is Wolf planning on retiring any time soon. I think I would like his job. Then I can be listed in the satisfied worker category.

January 5, 2010 at 7:13 pm |
  79. Joseph

Jack, I find YOUR job interesting. How about if we trade?

Joe in Delray Beach, Florida

January 5, 2010 at 7:13 pm |
  80. Roeland, Netherlands

I am very much satisfied I can say.
    I work selfemployed in real-esate... I have never had so much time off in my life!

January 5, 2010 at 7:13 pm |
  81. frankdozier

I only hope I can find a job soon. Also: you said, "Incomes haven't kept up with inflation: most wages grew in the 80s and 90s... but have been shrinking since 2000." What changed in 2000, I wonder...

January 5, 2010 at 7:15 pm |
  82. Bob of Baltimore, Md

I have a job, I am satisfied.

January 5, 2010 at 7:15 pm |
  83. Greg

I hate my job. My decent job was sent to Singapore. Now I'm making half as much for twice the effort.

January 5, 2010 at 7:16 pm |
  84. Mike, Sandy, Oregon

Hey Jack!
    I'm retired, first job I totally love.

January 5, 2010 at 7:16 pm |
  85. Carol Glen Ellyn, IL

I wish I had a job to be dissatisfied with.

January 5, 2010 at 7:16 pm |
  86. Paul from Atlanta

Satisfied with my job Jack? I was replaced by a foreign worker with an H1B visa in 2001. Since then I've either temped or was unemployed.
    New job? We need an entirely new economic system.

January 5, 2010 at 7:16 pm |
  87. Vinnie

Very satisfied with my Healthcare IT job.
    I took the approach years ago to get educated, get a ground floor job and now I am a successful IT Manager.
    Bow hard work can make a satisfied worker. Most younger people today want instant success. It's NOT THAT EASY!! You have to work for success!

January 5, 2010 at 7:16 pm |
  88. Jim, Honolulu

I work in a restaurant right on Waikiki Beach, and couldn't possibly be happier due to the stunning scenery, perfect weather, and personal interactions. I think this points out the vital importance of location to job satisfaction. I'm sure an identical job in decaying Detroit, for instance, would be a real bummer.

January 5, 2010 at 7:16 pm |
  89. Darren

Hey Jack-
    What job?

January 5, 2010 at 7:17 pm |
  90. Maggie

Are you kidding? I'm furloughed twice a month, I have double the amount of work, benefits are diminishing, expectations are higher, and my heart palpitates due to stress. I'm relieved to have a job in these times, but definitely I have lost my creative motivation. Oh, and did I tell you that I am paying huge student loans from getting a PhD–a requirement for my job? I'll never catch up and it's demoralizing.

January 5, 2010 at 7:17 pm |
  91. Jose A.

Not really satisfied, especially in light of the fact that business owners are not really doing any leading as one would expect – it's all about survival, on a quarter by quarter basis, just like Wall Street. This is probably the root of the problem, possibly because we are ALL now content that embrace the fact that china and others now govern our near and distant futures. We owe all this to our political, banking and business leaders that have sold out their own country !

January 5, 2010 at 7:17 pm |
  92. Ruth Shaver

I love my job as the pastor of a really special church. It's what I'm supposed to be doing with my life right now. I love my coworkers and my commute couldn't really be any better: a 2 minute walk or a 3 minute drive (because my garage is farther from the church than my front door!) I'm fortunate to have excellent health insurance and other benefits, but it would be easier for my congregation to do more ministry that touches other people's lives if the cost of those benefits were lower. My boss? Well, depending on how you define "boss", that's either my congregation or God. And I'm quite satisfied with both.

January 5, 2010 at 7:17 pm |
  93. JDM

II worked in the private sector for 30 years and things got done and 98% of the time they got done correctly. When my company went under I was forced to take a big cut in pay and a job with the IRS.

Now I know why I avoided working for the government for 30 years.

January 5, 2010 at 7:17 pm |
  94. Ian

Jack I'm satisfied to even HAVE a job. I don't plan on staying in it forever, but while in college, it will work. The only thing I don't like about my job are policies that in my opinion, discriminate against race, body type, and facial structure all to represent a brand. Another thing – TAG LINES! They don't work, customers look at me strangely, and I feel like a tool saying them. "Hey, whats up? Welcome to the pier!"....what pier, where? We're in a mall...

January 5, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  95. Bill from PA

Well, I have gone from IT to retail, I am as happy as a pig in his own slop. Isn't that how I am supposed to answer!!! At least I can afford the soap.

January 5, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  96. Chi

My job starts tomorrow and I cannot wait to find out which end of the satisfaction range I will fall in. I'll email you again in a month.

-Chi
    Rockledge

January 5, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  97. Bob In Florida

I have had horrible, dirty, backbreaking, low paying jobs, I have had jobs I looked forward to going to each day with good pay and only mental sweat, but the job I have now is the BEST I ever had.....I'm retired.

January 5, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  98. Annie, Atlanta

Speaking of jobs, Jack, when/or are you going to join the panel discussion at 6:30ish again? That was my favorite part of the show – your no-nonsense opinion. Should we put in a good word with Wolf, or what?

January 5, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  99. Russ in Colorado

I am very satisfied with the job I am doing of looking for work, but I am equally disatisfied with the results, which means I must continue to do a satisfactory job of looking for work. I believe there is a definition of insanity that satisfactorily describes this pattern.

January 5, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  100. Darren From NJ

Hey Jack
    What JOB?

January 5, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  101. Ray

for the past 2 years i have not gotten a raise. i am a production manager,and with having to cut employees hours as per the owner i've had to take more responsibilities as well as doing work that can be done by the employees. i am fortunate to have a job,but meeting all the extra expectations without compensation leaves me very unsatisfied.

January 5, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  102. Michael Roberto

I would be happy with my job if I had one. I am out of work for a year and if posting resumes was a career, I would be very happy and very rich. People who are employed should thank their lucky stars that more than unemployment checks are their only means of support.

January 5, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  103. Heather, Delaware

I am 25 years old and I am finally satisfied with my job. I help countless people avoid foreclosure and keep their credit from going in the toilet. Is their anything better than that? I submit no.

January 5, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  104. Jason

I'm 25 now and have been doing an important job since 2005 but it's only seasonal! I am happy with my boss but the job doesn't pay a livable wage. I am ready to now move on with my skills, yet no one is hiring for livable wage jobs.

January 5, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  105. alex

I am very uninterested with my job. It is boring and I have been doing it for years. I am happy to have a job right now, but will look for another as soon as I can get a new one.

January 5, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  106. rather not say

Not at all. Graduated in 05 with BS. Have yet to find a job in a possible career path. I currently work retail, however I feel blessed to have a job at all. Without my husband I would be in very bad shape.

January 5, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  107. Dennis

With the economy the way it is, companies demand more, more and more, faster, faster and faster, the cheapest way possible. only way the boss will get a raise is to be harsher on workers, and it goes down the ladder. everyone hates their job because executives at the top don't want to take a paycut, so they make sure that doesn't happen at the expense of the peons at the bottom.

January 5, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
  108. Melinda Morey

I LOVE MY JOB! I'm self employed, do many different things – teaching art, yoga, as well as selling my art work and farming. Diverse yes, and happy.

I was not surprised people under 25 are the most dissatisfied with their jobs. As a country we have become spoiled and lazy. Most kids don't have chores, don't work to get what they want and expect more from the world than is realistic! How could they not grow up to be dissatisfied young adults?!
    It is time we suck it up as a country, put our heads down, work harder for less, and find things to do that we are proud of. That is what this country was built on.

January 5, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
  109. Dave

I am satisfied with my job even though it's very hard to get time off cause I'm the only one who does it.
    As far as my boss....well he is totally out of touch. Has no clue of what I do or what it takes to do it. He makes stupid decissions then I have to clean up afterword.

January 5, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
  110. Clark Johnson

Jack,

I love my job. After I was laid off in 2002, I started my own company with a co-worker who was also laid off. We went two years without a paycheck, but now we are doing fine, and I can come to work in shorts in the summer and bunny slippers in the winter. We feel we're particularly lucky, but I feel that almost everyone has the ability to do something special for themselves.

Clark

January 5, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  111. Robin

I love 99% of my job's attributes, the 1% that I am dissatified with is the pay.
    Benefits are as good as it gets.
    Location is great
    Commute is all of 15 minutes by car and a straight ride.
    Duties are challenging
    Supervisor is perfect
    Co-workers are wonderful
    But, my pay is awful.I have been an Auditor with my State's government for 10 years now. i earn $37K, I had to accept a 2.2% pay cut after going 5 years and no raise. I have a BS in Business Admin and an MS in Public Administration. I am searching high and low for a new job!!!
    Keep me in your prayers as I have a few good prospects in view! Unfortunately, one job will be in Atlanta and the other in Chicago and I live in the Northeast.

January 5, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  112. Pete

The Company used to send out surveys to the employee's inquiring about a range of topics similar to your stats. I guess they didn't care for the anonymous feedback because they quit asking for opinions and quit sending out surveys.
    The negative feedback stating the obvious poor working conditions, poor management was just too much for them to understand.

January 5, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  113. tj

Hey Jack,
    I work for a government contractor with a massive portolio of defense contracts. I continue to witness equally massive wastes of tax-payer money due to under utilitized resources being paid to be fully productive. As I make my living in this structurally inefficient and fraudulent environment my morale takes a beating and would love to get out of this business.

January 5, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  114. Terry Marvin, Dallas, Texas

Tuesday, January 5, 2010–5:20 pm CST

Hey Jack,

I'm satisfied with my job. I've been at since 1995.

January 5, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  115. Steve

Jack,

I used to love my job but for many I have seen my colleagues let go, told to do more with less and seen my pay chipped away by anemic raises that do not even keep up with inflation.

The one thing that has really turned me into a malcontent is the consistent outrageous payouts that the CEO of my company gets every year no matter how well the company does or does not do. Maybe the sleeping public is waking up finally and seeing how we are consistently getting the shaft by these con men and women.

Steve "Wide awake in New Jersey"

January 5, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  116. Luwanna Guysville Ohio

Jack,
    I have four part time jobs, none of which pay the bills. I've been looking for a full time position since May. I have a BS in biology and I'm almost finished with a MS in Environmental Science policy and planning. I substitute teach, I substitute as a courier for a large electric utility, I work for the city for my scholarship/internship money, and I privately tutor.
    Job satisfaction depends on what your definition is; mine would be does it pay the rent and bills so I don't get evicted later this month when I can't pay the rent. Someday if I'm lucky to get a job in one of my fields I give you an update on whether or not I'm satisfied based on a different definition, for now I just wish I had a full time job or one that would at least pay the bills.

Luwanna Guysville Ohio

January 5, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  117. Chris Austin, Tx

I was not satisfied with my job and am now currently unemployed waiting for my Texas workforce unemployment benefits to kick in. As I mandatory apply for at least 5 jobs a week, every job out there, is just that a job. My job was in finance and after last year and a half everyone was thankful just to have a job. Now I don't have to be fraudulent and push toxic paper for a paycheck!!!

January 5, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  118. sandy Orr

not satisfied but I need to qualify.I do like what I do but it is not busy enough, I could do it in less than full time while the program develops and grow but I do not plan to volunteer that info

January 5, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  119. Ed

I like my job
    I like my bosses and co-workers
    Every day is a a great day
    My salary could be better, (It has not gone up in two years)
    I help educate the next generation
    I am blessed !

January 5, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  120. Nathan, MN

at this point i wish i had a job to be unsatisfied with...

honestly at this point these numbers are not to surprising... but i agree, if this isn't addressed, it could be pretty harmful to the nation.

i think if more money got to employs it would fix a lot of that poll. i think a lot of people are not really "satisfied" with they're job, but if they get paid enough to live and some at least some of the things they want and like to do in life then the job seems worth it.

January 5, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  121. Kris

Problem with Job Satisfaction is everyone has the same answer. If your not satisified with your job 'get another one'. We'll if no one is satisifed with their job, their pay, or how the company treats them how is this gonna help anyone. Problem is employers dont care about their employees these days its all about the bottom dollar about result. I use to work for a call center and I'm sure if they could find a way to make me work for free and do 100% quality job and not pay any health insurance or benefits they would have been Thrilled. Why cause they don't care about people anymore its all about money...and its sad,...

January 5, 2010 at 7:22 pm |
  122. Luci - Illinois

Have you ever seen a young person that liked to work or do most anything else? They will mature and then know that they need the job or do without.
    They can thank Bush and company for that so many jobs were shipped out to other countries.
    It ain't what it used to be, my dear.
    Until those company bosses decide to bring those jobs back, it won't be as good as it used to be.
    The wealthy owners would rather make their money in oher countries and ship the wad offshore and them get tax breaks. Therefore we have to pay extra taxes, while they set on their duffs and enjoy life.

January 5, 2010 at 7:22 pm |
  123. Kim Wyant

I do not have my dream job by any means, but I am glad that I have a job, and I have job security, and it pays fairly well, and there are way worse jobs out there than mine so I really have no complaints!

January 5, 2010 at 7:22 pm |
  124. Paul Veliyathil

I work as a Hospice Chaplain and I LOVE my job. Dealing with death and dying on a daily basis gives perspective on life's priorities and keeps me peaceful and balanced. It is insane I get paid for it. Jack, don't tell my boss!

January 5, 2010 at 7:22 pm |
  125. Professor D

Jack, I was so unhappy with my job that I resigned immediately after getting tenured and promotion. Why? because of the old white men running the higher education system as a low-class business, without any focus on quality and/or integrity! It wasn’t just the lack of income equity that made me resign, but the old white men (administrators) who kept on trying to patronize every young, non-white person, esp. women! And interestingly, I was repeatedly told to put up with one of them as he is an alcoholic and his older daughter left him as she couldn’t tolerate his chauvinistic insecure ways!!! For once, it felt like I was working in Afghanistan and that is why such treatment of women! Can you imagine working in such environment? I couldn’t!

January 5, 2010 at 7:22 pm |
  126. Ian

Satisfied? Not Satisfied? These people that are employed should be grateful that they have employment. Most of us who are unemployed are running a rat race of job competition. The “unsatisfied” employed are sitting in an office making money to pay for their housing, food, and health insurance, when the unemployed face possible homelessness and no health care, Those who complain should count their blessings.

Ian

Oregon

January 5, 2010 at 7:22 pm |
  127. dennise

I hate my job. Yes, i'm greatful to have one, but i am not happy doing it. People have changed and have become ungreatful, mean. I'm just as stressed out as they "think they are", and i have to take care of them. Who do they think they are talking to? Someone with a cozy, stress free life just because i have a job? Not in your life. I think if you have a job, it's getting worse and worse to do it.

January 5, 2010 at 7:22 pm |
  128. Diana W

I'm 60 years old with a bad back, and I work with disabled adults who frequently need lifting. My heart loves the work I do with my clients, but I worry how much longer I can do the physical work required. I would look for other work, but my husband has cancer, and I simply can't afford to risk losing the lousy insurance that we have. Lord, Jack, I wasn't depressed until I read what I had to say about this subject. Thanks. 🙂

Diana

January 5, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  129. Doris Lauter

job? What job? I was an artist for 40 years, and since the depression, I can't seem to sell anything. Before that, I loved my job.....best job in the world....being able to paint, and make a living at it.
    Doris
    Ojai, California

January 5, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  130. Dave

I'm in my 50's with a Masters Degree in internet technology and able to only create my own job. It may be a good thing in the long run, but it makes for uncertainty in the short run.

Dave
    New York

January 5, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  131. Peter

It's not surprising that job satisfaction has been declining. I'm convinced that most of the reason is due to the Baby Boomer Generation. In previous decades (70s, 80s), jobs were scarce and competitive. This created a culture where people did not share information and played "the game" in order to get ahead and stay employed. Now these people are our leaders, and guess what, they do not know how to lead (See George Bush).

January 5, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  132. Dianne Melbourne Fla

As a registered nurse, as much as I like what I do it is hard to be satisfied with it because there is no way to do your best because of all the healthcare cuts across the board and the one that impacts nurses the most, not enough staff. I do like what i do but when I leave am never satisfied that I did everything that I should have done for the people that matter the most,my patients.

January 5, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  133. Kelly from Upstate

I am self-employed, the owner of a one man show I've been operating for about 10 years. I've been considering a career change for a while, but the job market is hopeless in upstate New York. I have become a prisoner to my own work life – it makes me a good living but has become mind-numbing. I'd be crazy to quit now, so I won't. Grateful to have what I have? Most definitely. Satisfied? Far from it. Thank God for weekends.

January 5, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  134. EnvyEyes

I just turned 23 today. Will be graduating college this Spring. I am currently unemployed, seeking part time employment. No one is hiring.

I'm not dissatisfied. I'm simply disenchanted.

January 5, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  135. jim New york

I'm happy with my job. I'm not fond of the current foreign ownership. and their lack of concern to the welfare of their employees. I've worked there 45 years and I still like the joint.

January 5, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  136. Igoh

I love my job!its interesting and challenging. The pay could be better but hey.... What if I did'nt have a job???

January 5, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  137. Ivan Goldberg

Jack,

Will you read my resume and hire me?

January 5, 2010 at 7:25 pm |
  138. deb

I work for a major retailer, have been there for 14 years, have decent health benefits and fair paid time off. I feel my job is secure because I am a top producer in my department, but my raises are insulting in conjunction with my production. Managers know there are few jobs out there so they do not have any reason to reward us monetarily. This company has taught me a skill which I will not hesitate to take elsewhere when the job market improves. Hopefully I will not be too old then to be paid fairly. It's all about the money!
    deb
    atlanta ga

January 5, 2010 at 7:25 pm |
  139. Stephen

I am very satisfied Jack, I am an Investigator with my local police department and a Captain in the Army Reserves. Unfortunately I am fortunate to be in job security heaven!

January 5, 2010 at 7:25 pm |
  140. Patricia

Jack,

I am very satisfied with my job teaching high school. That's because I am not a spoiled brat like many of those who took your poll. It's no wonder that the younger the worker, the more dissatisfied they are. In their free time, they pursue pleasure, whether it involves one of many forms of media, running around with friends or heading for the ski slopes. Having to sit in one place, work for a boss and stay off Facebook and YouTube is a drag.

Boise

January 5, 2010 at 7:25 pm |
  141. Jason

Not at all satisfied with my job Jack. I'm 29, I drive a truck making deliveries. My wages are barely enough to get by, I have no health insurance and absolute minimum time off. Not a good place to work if you know what I mean. Oh, I have a bachelor degree in psychology that I owe $20,000 for. Cant find a job making $35,000 which is barely enough to live here on Long Island. Feel like I have been living this economy from day one and its not cool.

January 5, 2010 at 7:26 pm |
  142. Benjamin Bello

For God's sake Jack, its a job! Satisfaction is just a myth when talking about such subjects.
    Benjamin.

Abuja,
    Nigeria.

January 5, 2010 at 7:26 pm |
  143. onodiongo eyo

my job is just a job, can't hate, and it's hard to love, but its pays my bill, though some but not all, my interest seems to be more with people i work with than.
    onodiongo

January 5, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  144. Michael

Jack,

I am a 43 year old male that works p/t because of being on Social Security. I have been at my current job since about February 2000. I am in the Social Services field of work helping other adults with disabilities, such as cognitive disabilities, as I have. We see if they're happy with all the services and supports that they're receiving from the county. We do a couple of other surrounding counties. I am glad the program that I am with at a local college here in Pittsburgh works with adults with disabilities. As of right now, I don't see me quiting this job in the foreseeable future.

January 5, 2010 at 7:28 pm |
  145. Sam Pendergrass/Scappoose, Oregon

Jack I am a retired Veteran who is self employed therefore I am very satisfied with my boss yet I am not allowed to unionize against him or parley for better working conditions or higher pay since I am getting social security and my pay is determined by my government. I believe that would make me a government employee but I am not getting my full benefits nor can I strike for better ones. So put me down for satisfied employer, dissatisfied employee who is both happy and sad about his working conditions.

January 5, 2010 at 7:28 pm |
  146. Christeen

After almost 36 years on the job, I'm probably more satisfied with my job.

January 5, 2010 at 7:29 pm |
  147. Robert V .Barnes Jr

What do we have to be satisfied about? All our politicians are for sale to the highest bidder. They've allowed our manufacturing jobs to go to China and India. This has led to us owing China nearly a trillion dollars. Even the aircraft manufacturing business is slowing bleeding to the Airbus in the EU. Big oil has suppressed any efforts for alternative energy, keeping us at the mercy of the Middle East. Our construction jobs are taken by illegal immigrants from Latin America. The rich are getting richer and the poor getting poorer, all the while the middle class is slowing disappearing. What should we be optimistic about?

January 5, 2010 at 7:29 pm |
  148. Berry

At work there is a constant push to reduce the staffing to the point physical and mental exhaustion.Everyone doesn't work in an air conditioned office. We are not machines and our bodies can only handle so much stress. My company is enjoying record profits and the CEO needs his 20 million dollar bonus this year. I make less than I did 10 years ago and pay dearly for my insurance. If my joints wear out because of the tripled work load.....I am a bad employee...very unsafe....The excessive Executive pay trend has become the bain of all the working class. I'd like to thank all those executives for throwing their loyal employees under the bus.

January 5, 2010 at 7:29 pm |
  149. Michael Catalanello

I believe financial compensation plays a major role in determining one's job satisfaction. I'm writing from Ponchatoula, Louisiana, but I work as a civilian contractor in Iraq, a miserable and dangerous environment in which to live and work for many reasons. I love my job, but mainly because the level of compensation is well above the norm for my profession as a psychologist. If I were reduced to working in my home state of Louisiana, I would be taking home a quarter of my current earnings... and that's IF I were able to find a job within my area of expertise.

January 5, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  150. Jeane in Colo

I work bec I like to eat. I did like my job until
    -A crook took over and almost bankrupted the company
    -He announced if you didn't have 20 yrs or more by the end of 2000 your pension would now be funded with company stock which was @$80 share when he took over and then plumented to $2 after his recklessness.No medical benifits when you retire.
    -New guy in now and all pensions have been frozen.
    -No pay raises
    -No life insurannce

Want me to go on ....I have plenty more!

January 5, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  151. Tim Tamashiro

Not satisfied with your job? There's a cure for that.
    It's called "your strengths". Every single person is born with a set of strengths, yet so few of us know what they are and even fewer actually work within their strengths. But did you know that when you know your strengths and work within them every day, it doesn't feel like work... it feels like you? I know, because that's what I do every day.
    When will business realize that when you hire for people for their strengths you get the biggest bang for the buck? That's when you get happy, enthusiastic and productive workers?

January 5, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
  152. Ryan in Minneapolis

I'm a 21 year old professional poker player and I love my job. I set my own schedule and work from my office computer. It gives me the freedom and flexibility to travel whenever I feel like it. I used to work a regular 9-5 job and hated it. You gotta do what you love, Jack. If you don't love what you do for a living it's going to be extremely difficult to lead a happy life.

January 5, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
  153. Karl Mosley

Yes Jack I love my job, I work 9am to 5pm sitting at home.

January 5, 2010 at 7:32 pm |
  154. Lawrence, Philadelphia

Jack, such is the time, such is the condition. It is no longer about how satisfied we are about our jobs, it about "survival of the fitest". I think what everyone is mostly concerned about is receiving a pay check that will take care of the bills and put food on the dinning table for the family. The question of whether we are satisfied or not is not an option. Personaly, when my work hours are approaching, their is grieve in my heart. But I have to go anyway.

January 5, 2010 at 7:33 pm |
  155. Derek

I am 25 years old and its a 50/50 situation for me. Considering the time and energy I put into getting a degree. I am dissatisfied with my current job, its everything but what i imagined it would be (yeah, I am talking about the pay check) and I dont want to get used to it. One the other hand however, I feel fortunate to know that a lot of folks out there would rather be in my unsatisfactory comfort.

January 5, 2010 at 7:35 pm |
  156. Pete

IS this show broadcast in India, if so,,,,you will hopefully get feedback from the group(s) that are now performing our jobs.

January 5, 2010 at 7:36 pm |
  157. paiol

am not jack,cause i have not job

January 5, 2010 at 7:37 pm |
  158. Richard

Very satisfied although I wish I'd get paid more than minimum wage. After all, after five years I can now flip more than 100 burgers an hour. But then watching our customers grow obese right before my eyes makes it all so worthwhile!

January 5, 2010 at 7:42 pm |
  159. Momo, E St. Louis, IL

Hey Jack,
    Pass me just your job when you retire.

January 5, 2010 at 7:44 pm |
  160. Nick

I'd really like to have a job where I could care about people, help, do interesting things every day, love getting up. At the moment, I don't have the job I've got. I hope my food stamps get approved. I do like eating.

January 5, 2010 at 7:45 pm |
  161. Betty Smith

I like what I do but when the economy is the way ours is right now, employers take advantage of every opportunity to treat you badly and then remind you how lucky you are to have a job. I'm not a real young person and I have seen this many times. I think it is pathetic that large corporations can continue your reign of terror either by the way they treat their customers or the way they treat their employees and during this time both are being treated badly.

January 5, 2010 at 7:48 pm |
  162. Gary

What Job! when I had one I loved it.
    Durango, Co

January 5, 2010 at 7:48 pm |
  163. W.Bush from Ft. Hood,TX

Everyone is complaining about the employment situation however the U.S. Armed Forces are always an options. It was the best choice that I made in my life and it is not too late for some of those who are 19-27yrs old. If times are too rough at home "Uncle Sam" is always here.

I truly enjoy my way of life and it's in the U.S. Army and served for 16yrs making the ultimate sacrifice.

January 5, 2010 at 7:50 pm |
  164. Linda

Glad to be employed but don't like my job. I'm not a complainer, but my job is really bad.

January 5, 2010 at 7:50 pm |
  165. Frank Rinchich

I'm retired , but still work, I am satisfied with my job, but the credit card Co's, banks. ins. company's are making it very hard to be satisfied with you job, because they have all meddle and lower class workers under tremendous stress, with there refusal to work with what the government and people are trying to do, so this stress is making your job a drudgery to go to every day, theses financial company's are not giving you any light at the end of the tunnel.

January 5, 2010 at 7:52 pm |
  166. Heather Beal Jackson, MS

I liked my last job before I was fired! If the Dept. of Labor would start holding employers accountable for unfair labor practices minus EEOC issues the unemployment problem we're facing now would not stand at 10%.

January 5, 2010 at 7:52 pm |
  167. Nicolas

Less and less. Cost pressure impacts reward systems and benefits negatively, the possibilities to advance and promote are shrinking, hiring is slow. Also, people are hanging on to their jobs because of the economic downturn and a slow job market, making it even more difficult to advance. Job content is still good, but perspectives are nowhere...

January 5, 2010 at 7:53 pm |
  168. Steve

Job interest is not our problem in today's workforce. What is dissatisfying at our jobs is the total lack of competence in our management from the bottom to the very top. There is no accountability of management which allows them to waste, not millions, but billions. These loses then have to be accounted for and this is usually taken out on the workforce which had nothing to do with the bad decisions. Workers pay the price in the loss of their jobs. What really kills me is then, the CEO and his good ol boys, collect huge bonuses.

Steve
    GREENVILLE

January 5, 2010 at 7:53 pm |
  169. Brandi Knight

I work inm fast food and i am very dissatisfied with my job because hours are constantly being cut...i dont know how they expect me tolive....

January 5, 2010 at 7:54 pm |