December 10th, 2009

Would you choose your child's gender?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Choosing your child's gender is becoming more and more mainstream in the United States.

It's done by using a technology called pre-implantation genetic diagnosis - which was developed two decades ago to screen embryos for genetic diseases. Parents using in vitro-fertilization have the embryos screened to make sure they're not passing along genetic illnesses.

But the same screening can also be used to select the gender of the embryo that's implanted in the mother's uterus.

In most countries it's illegal, but not here in the land of instant gratification. It costs about $18,000.

Experts say most of the clients come from other countries; but that a lot of the Americans using this technology for gender selection already have a boy and want a girl - or vice versa.

Critics worry about the ethics of it all… is this really stuff we should be playing around with? And they suggest it could lead to a gender imbalance - especially in countries that traditionally prefer boys - places like China or India.

A doctor who pioneered this technique says he worries about using it to screen embryos for non-scientific reasons - asking if it's something doctors should be involved in.

But other fertility doctors see nothing wrong with it and say it's just another example of giving women more reproductive choices.

Here’s my question to you: Would you choose your child’s gender?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Renee writes:
I am a proud mother of 6 healthy boys and I have always wanted to have a daughter. I am still young and I'm in good health. If my financial situation was better and I were able to afford it, I would definitely choose the gender of my child. I would have stopped at 2 kids if I had a girl and a boy, but I always held out a little hope that the next one would be a girl.

Thad writes:
It’s a tough decision. It touches me personally because I have three daughters and I surely want a son. Using conventional ways and statistics I am almost guaranteed another girl. I am all for it.

Dale writes:
When you see the pure evil of gender selection in China and India you can't help but have a healthy aversion to the practice. I am a man but see this as yet another tool to devalue women in society by some groups. I understand the desire to have one of each or even two of the same but I do not think we should have the right. The real consequences are immoral.

Lou writes:
I'll be for creating designer babies just as soon as children have the right to pick qualities they like in parents. My dad would have loved having another boy rather than my little sister, but we both would have been equally happy to trade him in for a less alcoholic model.

D. writes:
When people have too many choices, they often make bad ones.

Darren writes:
What comes after that: picking which annoying genetic traits their child won't have?

Diana from New Jersey writes:
After having 3 daughters and 2 sons, I sure would: All my girls give me gray hair, acid indigestion and sleepless nights. I would have all sons or puppies instead.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Mickey

I can't even imagine choosing my baby's sex – why would I care??? To those who care so much ($18,000.00 worth of caring) – what century are you living in? Because let's face it – the vast majority of these people either want their boy or have him already to "pass on the family name" so they want a girl to complete the set. I wanted a healthy happy baby – the gender really didn't mean squat to me or my husband. With all the things that can go wrong in a pregnancy, why worry about XY or XX?

December 10, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  2. Kyle

Every child is a gift, boy or girl. To quantify the amount of happiness a child would bring a couple based on whether it's a boy or a girl is ridiculous.Parents who are paying for in vitro fertilization should be able to screen for possible genetic diseases, but selecting the gender of the child seems to be ethically and morally wrong.

Madison, WI

December 10, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  3. Sarwar

This should not be allowed other than scientific research work

December 10, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  4. Steve

I would not choose my child's gender. Allowing parents to select for gender or any other trait that does not have any direct effect on the health of the child (prenatally or for the remainder of their life) is a slippery slope that we should be extremely cautious about as it may have unwanted and unforeseen consequences for society.

December 10, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  5. dick from indiana

I believe we should "cap and trade" offspring gender. Everyone should get one male and one female child option. Then if you don't want either you could sell your option on a new world-wide commodity exchange. As an alternative perhaps we could also sell unwanted children on this exchange. It could provide another discipline option for parents. "Behave or I will sell you the highest bidder."

December 10, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  6. Jenny

Well, it's important to note here that you are using "gender" incorrectly; the word you are looking for is 'sex'. In scientific terms gender and sex are not the same thing. 'Sex' is the genotype of the individual determined by having or not having the Y chromosome; 'Gender' refers to how the individual sees them self and how others see them. Technically, a child could have a female sex, but a male gender or vice versa. Sex is physical, Gender is psychological/social.

But to answer the question: I probably wouldn't do it unless I already had a lot of children all of the same sex and none of the other and wanted to guarantee I got a certain sex. I really don't have a problem with anyone else doing it though. People often choose the sex of their child when they adopt. I know there are a lot of people who are dead set on wanting a boy or wanting a girl. It's probably better to just let them be sure they get that sex than have them be disappointed that they didn't and have the child suffer the psychological consequences.

Columbus, OH

December 10, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  7. Ted

I think it should be legal as long as it is controlled. As long as nothing too absurd happens. I would love to pick a gender because i want one boy and one girl, and in my family, girls outnumber males 2:1.

December 10, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  8. ken jefferson city mo

Jack I would why not this is suposed to be a free country isn't it ?
    and technology is suposed to be used for our benefit.

December 10, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  9. Jeff

Given the opportunity, I would probably opt for selecting my child's gender. My spiritual beliefs don't conflict with this particular topic, and barring gender-specific genetic problems, why not?

December 10, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  10. Lawrence Sawyer

I'll make it short&simple:one of these days we're gonna mess around with something we dont understand or have any business messing with. You start messing with Gods work,one day something will be out there waiting 4 us,and it ain't no man. We could all die

December 10, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  11. NC Breeze

Let the best sperm win!

December 10, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  12. James

Once it becomes less expensive, it will be used commonly by parents as much to select sexual orientation as gender. If homosexuality is entirely genetic (probably not), then the incidence of it will likely decline. A strong minority of Americans abhor homosexuality, but the real secret is that the remaining slight majority of Americans who find homosexuality culturally acceptable would still rather have straight children. I don't think the gays have anything to worry about, though their orientation may not be 'chosen' as one choses a favorite color, social factors likely contribute significantly to orientation, so messing with the embryo might not do that much. But time will tell.

December 10, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  13. Elaine Connelly

No. I think we are headed down a very slippery slope, by condoning this.

Genetic testing should only be done if there is a chance that the baby will have serious health problems due to a defective gene (carried by either parent). Then genetic testing can be used to either prepare the parents for the burden(s) or other problems they face or to allow them to terminate the pregnancy.
    I do not think that in-vitro should even be allowed. To all of you who are so desparate for children, try to adopt. There are lots of kids out there who need a loving family. Just because the child is not of your genetic make-up does not mean that they can't be your child. A child needs a family. Race and/or sex should not even be in the equation. Love a child........

December 10, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  14. Omar (Montreal, Quebec)

No! Welcome to the liberal-eugenics era of reproduction. Choice is a good thing and a staple of Western civilization, but when paired with pre-natal testing to toy with our society's offspring, we risk reverting to the social darwinist theories of the early-mid twentieth century... What should we bring back next? Forced sterilization of the disabled? Oh, what about creating a Aryan super-race?.... that was popular for a time too....

December 10, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  15. mara curtis

I think that it is absolutley absurd to go to those measures to select your baby's gender. There are too many issues involving ethics. We need to leave that up to God and nobody else!

December 10, 2009 at 6:41 pm |
  16. Stan

If anything, saves lives in countries like China and India. Less infants will be abandoned. Those girls that are had will certainly having their choice of boys.

December 10, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  17. Brad

Yes, I would. I have no ethical qualms about the idea. Up until a while ago, nature had to "select" the gender. Now we're able to. If you don't like it because it's about not letting nature take its course, then don't attempt to extend your life with modern medicine, as this would be an affront to nature in the same regard.

December 10, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  18. Adrianne

Once again to all those people who don't listen: STOP TRYING TO PLAY GOD! Be thankful for what you get.

December 10, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  19. Melanie, Florida

Well I want a girl, so yes I would.

December 10, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  20. Alex Marshall

I wouldn't choose my child's gender because of those ethical reasons you provided Jack, however I would hate to discourage further scientific research in regards to genetic screening. I have some interesting genes that my family has passed down to me (2 missing adult teeth) and my family has paid a lot of money for me to get tooth implants. I hope we focus more on preventative measures to help families rather than try to engineer the "perfect" baby.

December 10, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  21. Meriam E. Araceley

The question is would you choose your child's gender? My answer is no, because I do not want to choose or change what our heavenly father have choose for us to have. If he wants us to have a boy or girl its up to him, this is part of his creation and we need to keep thanks to him that he give us children to take care while we are on earth. God created us for reason not because thats what we want, we are created to serve him and others and take care of his creator on earth, and one thing I want us to remember that living on earth is temporary and we can not choose what child we have and I can say that I am against this new technology because it not God's will for us.

thank you.

Meriam E. Araceley
    Pohnpei, Federated States Of Micronesia

Our small island is located between Honolulu and Guam.

December 10, 2009 at 6:45 pm |
  22. Milton Platt

Houston, TX
    I would probably not, but have no objection to others doing so.

December 10, 2009 at 6:47 pm |
  23. Earl DePass

I've got four daughters. After my first daughter was born, I kept trying for the girl, the naural way. That's why I have so many kids.

If I were to tray a fifth time, you're damn right I 'd have the gender selected.

Earl
    Brooklyn, NY

December 10, 2009 at 6:47 pm |
  24. Nik

Absolutely not. Playing God is a dangerous thing. Gender selection and genetic screening for in-vitro fertilization, even if well intended, can lead to potentially serious consequences. The sexes are naturally balanced, if we end up with too many males or females the population could collapse. Parents should just accept what they get.

Nik
    Durham, NC

December 10, 2009 at 6:47 pm |
  25. lou

I'll be for creating designer babies just as soon as children have the right to pick qualities they like in parents. My dad would have loved having another boy rather than my little sister, but we both would have been equally happy to trade him in for a less alchohlic model.

December 10, 2009 at 6:47 pm |
  26. jt

most likely....no, but i can understand why some would chose to, i dont see it becoming a problem though, the cost of people coming to the US and the cost of the prosses itself would deter many. it will not be a big thing with major consequences

December 10, 2009 at 6:48 pm |
  27. Sue

Oh, come on. "Becoming more mainstream"....really?

At $18,000 per attempt, I'd bet it's a very tiny (i.e.virtually insignificant)percentage of pregnancies that are being attempted this way. And there are even fewer live births, because not every embryo becomes a viable pregnancy.

I want to live in a world where every baby is a wanted baby. If this helps more babies be treasured, I'm all for it. And yes, I've had an IVF baby, and I know what I'm talking about.

I also have friends who used this to avoid a horrid genetic disorder that cost their first child's life at age 4. They tested many embryos, implanted some, and none survived. For people who need to use this technology, the whole process can be heartbreaking. Don't hassle them and make it worse.

December 10, 2009 at 6:48 pm |
  28. Phil

I would like to have the ability to choose my child's gender. I come from a family that is short on males. My cousins and siblings all gave birth to girls, only one boy. That is a 7 to 1 ratio. My wife told me I have three chances to have a boy and then she is done. If I have 2 girls to start with, you better believe that i'm doing everything in my power to ensure that third IS A BOY.

December 10, 2009 at 6:49 pm |
  29. Guy from Hawaii

No! I think it's obvious already that if people don't like their gender they can make the choice to change it surgically out here in the real world. The real question for most people should be "should we really be having a kid?"

December 10, 2009 at 6:49 pm |
  30. Mary Williams

I think everyone should be able to choose the gender of their child - maybe it could help over-population a bit - you know the one that has three girls and just has to have that boy - or the reverse of that.

December 10, 2009 at 6:49 pm |
  31. Crystal Lawrence

As the world's population nears 10 billion, perhaps the maximum sustainable number for Earth, fertility treatment should be the issue itself. My personal belief is that a culture change should be initiated and adoption be not only a viable but preferred route of realizing a family. When our human population drops well into the sustainable level and there are no orphans, then fertility treatment should be an issue to debate.

December 10, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  32. Tiffany

I would not choose my child's gender. This is God's decision.

December 10, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  33. Nancy Heifferon

San Jose, California.
    No. No. No. I didn't even want to know the gender of my children before birth. Creating a society in which one sex predominates invites sex trafficking, kidnapping, and corruption in a host of unsavory ways. This is a social experiment that can have no good outcome that I can see.

December 10, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  34. MARK PRIBBLE Anna Illinois

NO. As long as it is healthy it should not matter, but turning women into another octomom should stop, having a litter is best left for dogs and cats

December 10, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  35. James Haplock

Rochester, NY

Parents should only be able to screen embryos for serious genetic diseases. All other genetic traits (such as gender or eye color) must be decided by nature.

December 10, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  36. Stephen

For me it's a no-brainer. For instance, If you wanted to have a girl would you really take the risk of having a boy and regretting it for the rest of your life? Would you really want to bring a child into the world wishing it had been the opposite sex?

December 10, 2009 at 6:55 pm |
  37. michelle in chicago

I would absolutely NOT choose my child's gender! Genetics exist for a reason; if people go around choosing what kind of kid they want, then eventually we're going to throw off the entire species' ability to reproduce. That sounds like a gross exaggeration, but think of this: if families in China were able to choose that they only wanted boys, and a billion boys were born in the next 50 years but almost no girls, reproduction would drastically fall, because the male-to-female ratio would be drastically off. I bet it would also breed agression, men fighting over women to be with, since humanity places such an emphasis on monogomy. So, sure, it might be a great form of birth control eventually, but do we really want our species to go through that? Why can't humans just be happy with what nature gives them, why do we have to fight nature every step of the way?

December 10, 2009 at 6:56 pm |
  38. Michael Belanger

Hi Jack,

Some years ago, a close friend asked me to attend the delivery of her child. Skirting across the city in a rush, I arrived on time and was able to hold this beautiful baby boy in my arms less than ten minutes old; I wept and wept some more; I was not even the father of this boy. Were the baby a girl, I would have done the same. Any parent knows this checklist verbatim: breathing, color, ten toes, ten fingers. Check again twice more.

The miracle that is life contains untold secrets from science and theology that we mere humans struggle to understand. Every day we hear stories of science baffled by "medical mysteries." As advanced as we are, we have only to look a few feet in either direction in our slums, our ghettos, our palaces and our mansions to see that we are woefully and inadequately prepared to play "God". Were we a Utopian society of perfection and held utmost respect for ethics, such a concept would seem illogically insane. There was a time the Manhattan Project (atomic testing) was thought to be capable of destroying our entire planet in one swoop; scientists went ahead unknowingly and thankfully, we lived.

We play with science in the name of advancement, and the majority ought to be encouraged. However, nature was designed to hide some things from us, to be forever shrouded. We know not what we do.

In the meantime, the cries of newborn baby girls and baby boys fill our hearts with love, endearment, and a fierce duty to protect them with our very lives. I would be immensely humbled to be called their father, boy and girl alike.

Sincerely,
    Mike Belanger
    Calgary, Alberta
    Canada

December 10, 2009 at 6:56 pm |
  39. Elaine

Absolutely not, but I also do not believe in in vitro-fertilization. If you want to choose your child's gender... adopt a child that needs a loving home!

December 10, 2009 at 6:57 pm |
  40. Laura

No Way! Some things should be left up to nature. This can only lead to picking out babies with certain hair and eye colors. It is not an acceptable practice to get into. The places this kind of thinking can lead us is horrible. As humans we need to learn from our past mistakes (nazi germany) and remember that all of us were created for a reason and that we should not tamper with the will of whatever highpower you belive in.

Laura
    Austin TX

December 10, 2009 at 6:57 pm |
  41. Kelly

Absolutely not, only God is the author and creator of life.

December 10, 2009 at 6:57 pm |
  42. Chris Snyder

Yes, I would. The reason being my girlfriend has a genetic history in her family that that passes down genetic illnesses to a specific gender. In the end of this it will be used to prevent genetic diseases which will be better for the country in the long run because there will be less of a burden on the state and thus save money.

December 10, 2009 at 6:57 pm |
  43. Jacob

I am a man of faith, I was raised to believe that life is meant to be taken or given by God. Ethically, this is playing God and altering the course of nature. However, I am a 30 year old male with no kids, who prefers having boys over girls and if I could, I would rather have all boys.

Will I use this technology? May be. I think that people of faith will find this very problematic. Although it will answer my prayer, sort of. But, not in the natural way that I had hoped for. It will still be very tempting, but I think my faith will prevail and I will let God be God as that is a position that is His and His's alone.

December 10, 2009 at 6:59 pm |
  44. B.

This would unquestionably be a slippery slope toward eugenics. My conscience says no.

December 10, 2009 at 6:59 pm |
  45. Karl from SF, CA

Well, I have 3 sons, but 3 daughters or any combination would have been fine. Now as for my daughter-in-laws, I would have picked two of the three who are wonderful. Had my middle son not married, it wouldn’t have bothered me in the least, except I wouldn’t have their two boys as grandsons, so I put up with her.

December 10, 2009 at 7:00 pm |
  46. Dana

I think it is border line wrong using the technology to prevent or identify disease's. Using it to pick the gender of your baby and probably other characteristics in the future is completely wrong. Your taking nature's natural process and shaking it, we'll never be able to recover from something like that. That is probably the reason why so many other countries have made it illegal.

December 10, 2009 at 7:00 pm |
  47. Layne Alleman

Jack, I, no, but I know literally dozens of people who will. They're the same people who are checking into genetic alterations to not only prevent defects, but to "purify" or "enhance" the genes for a more "perfect" off-spring. (why do I hear The Twilight Zone theme in my head?) Layne A. Antioch, Il.

December 10, 2009 at 7:01 pm |
  48. mae

One of the joys experienced when having a child, is the first moment you see the baby, hold the baby in your arms and discover whether it is a boy or a girl. This surprise in your life cannot be eclipsed by any other event. Nature takes care of balance between the population of men and women; so why tinker with a good system? But more than that, people need to understand what they would be denying themselves by choosing the gender; something incredibly delightful and awe inspiring – that moment of love at first sight mingled with the discovery of whether or not you have a daughter or a son.

December 10, 2009 at 7:03 pm |
  49. Michael

In some cases in India and other countries that prefer boys people kill unwanted girl babies. I think allowing people to select the sex of their baby is preferable to that. I personaly would like the option to select my babies sex if I chose to do so. I don't want someone elses morals forced on me.

December 10, 2009 at 7:04 pm |
  50. raul from california

no, it should be illegal here in the U
    S as it is in other countries to choose the gender of ur child. gender randomization is a procedure of human nature that should be left to that, to nature, or as many say to god. we should be happy with the child we receive and love it the same wether a boy or girl.

December 10, 2009 at 7:04 pm |
  51. Dan, Poughkeepsie NY

Hey, if it does cause a gender imbalance, at least we won't have to worry about overpopulation.

December 10, 2009 at 7:04 pm |
  52. Rajesh Kumar - Des Moines, Iowa

Yes. Even though I am evangelical Christian, I believe this is God given science. This is not playing God. I also believe that God does not want an imbalanced family of all girls or all boys. I am 46 & have God given 2 beautiful girls. We want a boy, where should we go now?

Rajesh Kumar – Des Moines, IA

December 10, 2009 at 7:04 pm |
  53. jenny

o i wuld never do such a thing

December 10, 2009 at 7:04 pm |
  54. shelly

Jack,

NO! I married into 6 stepchildren, so there was no picking gender in that situation. We went on to have a child of our own. Most mothers beleive that they have a feeling about the gender of the child that hey are carrying. I can tell you that my daughter came home dressed in blue, because I was so sure. I can tell you for all the people that think choosing a gender is an inportant part of their start to their family, they need only ask all the familys of special needs children.

December 10, 2009 at 7:05 pm |
  55. Sue from Redwood City

I would not choose gender, but considering that most people, especially those from extremely chauvinistic places like China or India would choose boys most of the time, it might actually result in making women more valuable since there would be fewer of them to go around... Chauvinism killing itself by eliminating females to the point of increasing their value – now that's a novel concept!

December 10, 2009 at 7:06 pm |
  56. Ron

It should be illegal in the US. It does not help the fight for gender equality.

December 10, 2009 at 7:06 pm |
  57. Alexxa

If I had to do it all over again, NO

Had four sons though I didn't have a girl I'm perfectly
    happy and wouldn't need to choose.

December 10, 2009 at 7:06 pm |
  58. Esther Massillon Ohio

Jesus would not approve

December 10, 2009 at 7:07 pm |
  59. James from Tennessee

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God (or Allah or whoever we wish to call Him) makes us who we are. Using science to manipulate such a thing would be like going against the will of God himself. It is absolutely insane. Parents should be happy with the children they give birth to regardless of gender, and no amount of science or technology should be used change that.

December 10, 2009 at 7:08 pm |
  60. Annie, Atlanta

Absolutely not. I wanted to know the gender of both my kids as soon as possible, and am thrilled with who they are. But to actually make that call has a Frankenstein-esque feel to it. No thanks.

December 10, 2009 at 7:09 pm |
  61. Saam

Probably not but I don't see any problem with it if people want to.

December 10, 2009 at 7:09 pm |
  62. Mother of 3 sons in Canton, GA.

I have 3 boys currently and have often joked that I would have 1 more child if I could guarantee I'd get a girl. I would seriously consider gender selection if I decided to have another child. I love my 3 sons with all my heart and wouldnt trade them for anything. I would just love to have a daughter so that I can enjoy "girlie" things with her that my sons are not into.

December 10, 2009 at 7:09 pm |
  63. Jessica

I understand the fears of playing god with gender, but the benefits may outweigh the consequences. I know people who had 3 girls before they had the boy they really wanted, and I'm sure many other families have done the same, for either gender. By choosing the sex of your baby and getting the boy or girl you "really want", we may actually cut back on soaring population numbers because people may actually be happy with the child they have! And if gender imbalances occur worldwide, well thats just nature's way of fighting back and telling us we're going to overpopulate the earth.

Jessica, Media PA

December 10, 2009 at 7:10 pm |
  64. Sue From Idaho

No Jack, I agree with you, The only thing I would chose if I could is that they be healthy,

December 10, 2009 at 7:10 pm |
  65. ceezz

yes, i would choose = keep the sperm of the best male specimen in the whole entire planet earth that we can use at our leisure.
    we'll only choose the best females (smart very smart and good looking females) to have his children (males born should be kept as sperm donors in the future)
    All offspring born should be female as females have a good head on their shoulders since beginning of times and are more practical and solve problems much easier than males of the species.
    Just KIDDING!!!!

December 10, 2009 at 7:11 pm |
  66. Colin

Yes, people should be allowed to choose. Someone who feels strongly enough about their unborn child's gender to pay $18K for the privilige of choosing it would likely be terrible parents to – or abort – a baby who didn't meet their gender choice.

December 10, 2009 at 7:11 pm |
  67. Anthony

Of course not! This is just one more are of life that we as humans, not just Americans have twisted to meet our own needs. I wish for once we could be happy with what we have been blessed with but money and instant happiness is all we seem to be worried about. Maybe when we realize this about ourselves, there will finally be peace.

December 10, 2009 at 7:11 pm |
  68. Andrew Willmott

Choosing your childs gender is completely unethical and is like playing god. In my opinion it is in close relation to stem cell research, but still should be legal.-Morgantown, West Virginia

December 10, 2009 at 7:11 pm |
  69. Clarence

Human beings are not God's,and we should not Be playinh God.
    Leave thing alone that we have no bisiness messing with.
    Clarence

December 10, 2009 at 7:11 pm |
  70. Heather

I would not pick my childs gender. My husband & I have been trying to have a child for years now, so I think you should just be happy with what you are blessed with. It is not up to you, it's up to the good Lord=)

December 10, 2009 at 7:11 pm |
  71. Bob from Long Island

My wife and I both agree (a rare thing) NO! play the hand your delt. A healthy child of any sex is a gift not a Item to be picked over.

December 10, 2009 at 7:11 pm |
  72. Bernie of Lowell, MA

Wolf is always asking you what yoy think, Jck.

Why not ask what sort of 'pack' Wolf wants.

December 10, 2009 at 7:11 pm |
  73. Brandon

This is one of those debates that needs to be looked at from every angle.

Gender balance is mentioned. If this balance begun to lean to one side for some natural reason, do you think this type of proceedure would then be legalized to correct the imbalance?

My guess is that it would... so wouldn't that make deeming it illegal right now hypocritical?

Same type of logic as when a pro-life woman sees her 13-year-old daughter get pregnant, then all of a sudden abortions are ok... 'Cause I'm sure that's never happened...

December 10, 2009 at 7:11 pm |
  74. S.Ann

Years ago, my mom prayed for a boy and a girl. After marrying my dad, she had me and my little brother. It could have been two boys or two girls, but she was blessed to have a boy and a girl. Science was not involved. My view on this is another form of playing God. I wouldn't dare use that to choose the gender I prefer. A baby (whether male or female) is born under God's will. We are here for a reason in our lives. Why should we manipulate his plan in getting what "we" want when God knows what's best for us?

December 10, 2009 at 7:11 pm |
  75. Bill in Kansas City

I'm on board. I want a boy, make him tall, intelligent, talented at sports, and that doesn't talk back to his parents. To much to ask for?

December 10, 2009 at 7:11 pm |
  76. William

Jack,

Love your show! I would not. I love the mysteries of birth and it is a 50/50 chance. I want three children soon and my nightmare is having three daughters but if I do, so be it.

77. Gail

I am currently 6 months pregnant and though my husband and I both have a preference of gender, all both of us really want is a healthy baby. We decided the day we found out I was expecting that we did not want to know the gender of our baby. So few surprises in life anymore. If we have a boy or girl, we are going to love it not matter what. To us having a family is all that matters, what the make up is doesn't. Gail – Murfreesboro, TN

78. Cam

Choose the gender of my child? Absolutely not! There is something seriously wrong with anyone in the US who feels the need to pick out ANY characteristics of their child.

79. Jason, TX

Aside from the gender imbalance concern, it puts a science fiction twist on simple banter. In a few years, instead of asking somebody in what year they were born, you might more appropriately ask in what year were they created.

80. Stacey

No I would not. Who is playing God, we have more illnesses in the world that can use this wasted attention on playing to be God.

81. Daniel Maggard

I have a rare genetic mutation on chromasome 17q that causes tumors to grow all throughouty my body. While I might not choose my child's sex, I thank God and the Doctors at The National Institutes of Health for creating the technology in question. Thanks Danny Southern Maryland

82. Jennifer Campbell

No, I would not choose my child's gender.

83. Russ in Colorado

I'd prefer to not even know what color to paint the baby's room until after he or she was born!

84. Ron

Yes, first a boy then a girl. Older brothers protect their little sisters most of the time. Plus, before I get old like you, I want to play football with my kids.

85. Distiller

no thanks, that's wrong!
    vt and minnesota

86. Helen, San Diego, CA

I would like to be able to choose my future baby's gender, of course I would. But unfortunately, I can't afford in-vitro and I really want to have kids, though I'm 35 soon and I can't have kids the normal way... So, I suppose, I'd be happy to just have a child. Regardless the gender. (

87. Rich Orwell in California

If I could choose, I'd have a pony.

88. keysa

No I wouldn't is not normal

89. steve in virginia

No way!! Unconditional love is just that- unconditional, regardless of gender.

90. David A Whitaker

Jack people is just retardes pretty soon they going to want a child with one blue eye and one brown. What happen to what god want you to have, there will be a class have to be god pretty soon. We can't control our own live now, but we want to control everything in life.Man cannot replace what god has done, there will never be a computer like the human body Scientist should just let it go and just be human.

David

Martinsburg,WV

91. Larry Koch

No. It would lead to domestic violence between my wife and myself. We couldn't agree on the gender. Better to leave it in the hands of God.

92. Kristen Ingram

Choose my child's gender? Why not wait until I can clone a Nobel Proze winner or brilliant physicist? For that matter, why don't I just have a cute robot built?

Kristen Ingram
    Springfield Oregon

93. N'dyah

No, I do not agree I think that people should be thankful for what god blessed them with. Whether your child is male or female.

94. Amber

I most certainly would not want to know my child's gender. Some things science should not mess with. The idea that it is giving women more reproductive rights, is blasphemy. If a child is born to a woman and the gender does not suit a woman's desires, does that violate the woman's rights? I think not!

Amber
    Chapel Hill, NC

95. mike saunders

No. There is enough gender confusion as it is.

96. ronaldmcdonald

Certain stuff should be left to life itself to solve. This is one of them

December 10, 2009 at 7:13 pm |
  97. Judy Laghzil

I dont think people should mess around with GODS works

December 10, 2009 at 7:13 pm |
  98. Ray C.

BUMPER STICKER: My embryo will kick your embryo's ass. It's a boy.

December 10, 2009 at 7:13 pm |
  99. Martin from Florida

18 Grand for a Boy. What a bargin Imagine what a wedding is going to cost in 20-25 years.

December 10, 2009 at 7:13 pm |
  100. Mary

No. I would not choose my child's gender. I think it iswrong to play god and mess with the way nature intended our bodies to work

December 10, 2009 at 7:13 pm |
  101. Bree

The real question is, with all the children being shuffled through the failing systems of foster care and left in places like taxi cabs- why are people spending so much money to engineer a fetus?

Maybe I'm biased, as a child of a loving, adopted family, but I think it's a little silly that rich, mostly white, people will spend tens of thousands of dollars to create babies through science, but now to decide the gender of their child.

We are creating a culture that is getting scarier and scarier. While I believe screening for genetic disease is crucial for family planning, do we really want to start marching towards a world where eye color, height, and intelligence are decided by the haves? Did anyone see GATACA?

December 10, 2009 at 7:13 pm |
  102. Phyllis G Williams

Would you choose your child’s gender?

I didn’t, because I heard people say ‘A woman who is pining after having a boy child and gets a girl,she ends up with a masculine girl; and those pining after a girl, gets a freak, feminine-type boy.’
    Thank God, I wanted a boy and got a 100% masculine male
    (like yourself) (smile)

December 10, 2009 at 7:13 pm |
  103. Ken in NC

My daughter is grown and gone and as much as I love her, I would not dare think I could have made a better choice than GOD made for me, however, the parents of some politicians would disagree with me after hearing statements made by their sons in congress about women’s choices.

December 10, 2009 at 7:13 pm |
  104. Rakesh Sharma B

We should be happy with what we get, we can not start playing with natural things which could bring disasters in the long run when everybody knows there are no men with out women and no women with out men.As far as i think technology should not over ride the very creation of our own.

December 10, 2009 at 7:13 pm |
  105. Ibrahim

I wont choose my child's gender as i think either a boy or a girl they will be my children and i l love em so much. And mainly the surprise when you hear its a boy or a girl is very very precious.
    Cairo
    Egypt

December 10, 2009 at 7:14 pm |
  106. Mordecai

Somebody tell me this is a sick joke. Since when did we have the right of play God. People will now get to decide the baby's gender. This is a recipe of disaster and controversy. What's next? Giving our baby another body part. As far as I know, if people would decide to implant superpowers on their babies, then we have gone too far.

December 10, 2009 at 7:14 pm |
  107. Greg

If parents are going to have a choice on what kind of child they get, science will have to quickly develop a method where children can pick the kind of parent they get. Fair is fair Jack.

December 10, 2009 at 7:14 pm |
  108. Sheryl J

Of course! I really don't see the harm. If a couple wants a boy after having 3 girls, who are we to deny them that opportunity if the technology is available? I find it cruel to make them keep trying only for them to realize that they are having yet ANOTHER girl in the end. Also, with a $18000 price tag in this economy, I don't forsee a major gender inbalance in the future.

December 10, 2009 at 7:14 pm |
  109. Ruth Copp, Michigan

I would only choose my child's gender if I had a defective gene (causing a disease, for example) which would pass on to only females, or only males. If it would pass on to only males, I would want a female child, and vice versa.

December 10, 2009 at 7:14 pm |
  110. Cher

Absolutely not. Tampering with nature like this just seems wrong, not to mention what is done to the embryos that are not used???? BTW I don't own a Cell phone, blackberry either, and I am proud to say way less stress.

December 10, 2009 at 7:14 pm |
  111. William in Kansas

This is absolutely disgusting. Parents who are choosing their child's gender are arrogant snobs. It's fine if you want to pick what brand of soda you want to buy, but please for the sake of society don't mess with genetics.

December 10, 2009 at 7:14 pm |
  112. T.D.H.

Yes, I would choose the gender of my child. Just like, if I could choose, I would have twins (one pregnancy over many). Being a 32 year old career woman with no children (yet), I fear running out of time to have a family. I would ideally love to have a boy and a girl. I would use modern science to achieve that.

December 10, 2009 at 7:14 pm |
  113. Frankie Fuller

No, I would not choose my child's gender. Even without gender selection, people seem to be born of the wrong sex. How can we account for that?

December 10, 2009 at 7:14 pm |
  114. Anynomous

Changing your child's sex is completely unethical and it is very unfortunate that it is legal in America. For the women that are changing their child's sex, what if their mother had changed them to a boy?

115. Svetlana

The only justifiable reason for me wold be to ensure absent of genetic gender linked disorders, like hemophilia and similar genetic disorders.

116. Charles

Critics may say that this is an issue of ethics, but it seems the issue is more out of practicality from the sound of it. If that is the case, given the price tag, it seems unreasonable to compare to China where the law mandates one child per house hold. In the states, I would imagine most people would not consider the procedure, but perhaps that is something to look into.

117. Gary - Woodhaven, Michigan

We are indeed headed towards our greatest moral dilemma within the next 20 years as human beings.

Not only will you be able to choose the gender, but hair color, eye color, body shape, IQ, and so on. And don't think the Jones next door won't want a smarter kid than you.

We will be able to clone our loved ones, life span for those who live to about 2025 will be 150 years old scientists say.

Where do we draw the line when playing God?

The last few years scientists and religious have been conferencing to draw the new moral code, and it would be interesting to hear their progress, or lack of progress.

Myself, this is what the good Lord dealt me, and though far from perfect, I kind of like his work.

118. James

I would not choose my childs gender because it's too scary, I mean it makes us very close to divine and I don't think I'm ready for that.

119. David

If you asked me this 5 years ago I would have said, "YES!" I was very obsessed with having a boy. The sports we could play together and the fun we would have. I didn't see how I would have as much fun with a girl.

Since you're asking me this now I'd have to say, "No way". I cannot begin to tell you how enjoyable it's been to have my daughter in my life every day. We have a lot in common and she's a joy to have.

I say let God make the decision on what my babies sex will be and that's good enough for me.

120. Rick Fernandez

I believe that this is an edge with 2 swords. You have 2 persons making 1 decision in a relationship which could lead to a number of unwanted situations such as comments like " You are the one that wanted a boy" or even a divisive sentiment between the couple. In the other hand I could see how a couple could be happier if you they were in agreement with the gender choice before conception and could help them with planing ahead and not having to buy neutral color baby's

121. RMS

I wouldn't pick my child gender. Would like to have at least one of each? But wouldn't go out of my way to get what I want.

122. Julia Szprengiel

Medical advances should continue to be pursued in all areas, including "genetic engineering" such as having the ability to choose a child's gender. However, its uses should be monitored and its consequences seriously evaluated. In my opinion, gender selection should only be used in special cases that could endanger the health of the child. For example, if having a female child would continue some kind of genetic disorder whereas a male child would not, then such technology should be allowed.

123. Teddy Mustakas

Jack,
    We have become a society that doesn't enjoy life unless we have it all.
    I never thought that I'd wake up one morning feeling as though I'm living on a different planet.

124. Jeeson Mathew

We have a son, and we woud love to have a girl child. If there is some technology out there to give us a baby girl with out much gamble, I would definitely avail it. Though we would'nt want it to be an in-vitro one. I have heard about astrologers and traditional healers in ancient cultures prescribing suitable time to concieve a healthy child or rather a healthy boy or girl. So woud'nt it be amazing to have a 21st century scientific way to choose your chid's sex.

125. Sateen T.

Absolutely not. It is politically wrong and just not right. We are not like China and India. We dont need boys to get by, as far as im concerned women can financially manage without them. This whole thing is going to get parents thinking about what kind of child they favor and that leads to many other problems.We seem to be doing fine with the way we are now, so why change it?

126. Keisha

If I had 18,000 dollars, I would loved to have picked the gender of my baby. I already have a girl and now I'm pregnant with another girl. I wanted a boy and now I am not willing to try again cause I don't want another girl.

December 10, 2009 at 7:16 pm |
  127. jordan

I dont think doing this is really unethical. Whats wrong about giving parents the choice of whether to have son or daughter? i understand the concern in places like china, but most middle class and below couples aren't going to be able to afford 18,000 dollars to pick the gender of their child, so it is sort of a non-issue, especially considering were already overpopulated anyways.

December 10, 2009 at 7:16 pm |
  128. bobh

yes becuse not to be a downer but you get what you want

December 10, 2009 at 7:17 pm |
  129. B Simpson

Dear JacK I have 2 sons when they were born the only thing that I wanted for them is to be healthey Today that they are grown up I just want them to be happy. There is no way that I would of ever picked there sex. I was not aware that you could do such a thing.

December 10, 2009 at 7:17 pm |
  130. charlie

no no no no i have all boys, and that's what GOD, GAVE ME

December 10, 2009 at 7:17 pm |
  131. Susan Easley

My husband and I have had seven boys, and they each have seven distinct personalities. I can't imagine any of them being a girl, they are so wonderfully unique. I'm glad I didn't have the chance to choose!

December 10, 2009 at 7:17 pm |
  132. Mitchell

I am a seventeen year-old boy in Cape Coral, Florida and am no moral compass. I find there to be an Orwellian fear in gender selection though the issue is possible positive in that it can provide families with a child engendered with the type the family feels it can best support, such as your fourth daughter. An easily related issue, for me, would be same-sex parents and who they feel they can best support in comfort and understanding.

December 10, 2009 at 7:17 pm |
  133. Sarah

I think it's important for women to have choices, but when bordering on "playing god"..... I think choice should be lessened. What will we be able to choose next? I have no children yet, but I will feel blessed with whatever gender child I get. No wonder the world views us the way they do.... we get whatever the hell we want!

December 10, 2009 at 7:17 pm |
  134. RogerSargent

If they start genetically altering embryos like that by chosing things that God should, I think they should also chose to name the boys Adolf, after another control freak who loved perfection.

December 10, 2009 at 7:17 pm |
  135. Bobby W.

If we use the technology to determine illness, why not use it to determine gender? Do I agree with either practice? I'm not sure but our world is heading downhill fast anyway.

December 10, 2009 at 7:17 pm |
  136. Nicolas Lay, Canada

I don't think so Jack, to me guessing the gender of your future child is half the fun.

Nicolas, Alberta

December 10, 2009 at 7:18 pm |
  137. Asa

Yes I would, but I'd flip a coin before I chose which sex.

December 10, 2009 at 7:18 pm |
  138. Crystal from Davie, FL.

My husband and I considered choosing the gender of our second child as we already had a girl and wanted a boy but took our chances and got what we wanted. That means I'm done and my husband has agreed to carry any future children. I do think, though, that allowing a couple the right to choose the gender of their child is a lesser evil than having a woman carry for nine months and then killing or throwing it in the trash after it's born just because it's not the gender they anticipated. Yes, an imbalance is likely but life has a way of balancing its way back out.

December 10, 2009 at 7:18 pm |
  139. Peter in Boca Raton

Yes, I would seriously consider it if it was a tad cheaper. Let's face it Jack, with the way things are going in America right now we will need to have the smartest and strongest men and women tackling these problems.

December 10, 2009 at 7:19 pm |
  140. Bandana

No, never.
    I do have a preference but will never try to correct the Nature's choice.

December 10, 2009 at 7:19 pm |
  141. Shem - Brooklyn

No I wouldn't. I don't believe we should play with the balance of nature. Jack you said it right, accept our blessings and be thankful for the children we have.

December 10, 2009 at 7:19 pm |
  142. James

Yes. I am 25 and I don't see how preferring to have a son first is unethical. Those that oppose this are usually those that use religious logic (an oxymoron) and I will not allow these people to gratify themselves by shaming people like me. When the technology comes along to enhance the processing power of my brain, I believe I will use that technology as well. I have my reasons for wanting a boy, and I don't need to explain myself.

James
    Minnesota

December 10, 2009 at 7:19 pm |
  143. Matthew

Let's face it. As much as people may like to make a big issue out of this it's not as if the majority of Americans have 18,000 dollars just laying around for the selection of their unborn child. If anything most of us would be saving that money for a house, car, or our children's education. As far as the "gender unbalance" it sounds ridiculous. This may be a more common thing happening but not nearly at enough of a rate to unsettle country or world populations on such a scale. The great argument to make is that it's a woman's choice whether or not to terminate a pregnancy, now it sounds as if giving a woman (or couple) the choice to choose the gender will become taboo? Outrageous.

December 10, 2009 at 7:19 pm |
  144. T.J. Tampa

Its bad enough they can tell you what sex the child will be, now they are willing to actually let you pick it out, like you are shopping at Walmart. That may stop when people start getting tweeners instead of what was ordered and the law suits start. I never would pick my childs sex, guess technology is to crazy, that why I got fixed years ago.

December 10, 2009 at 7:19 pm |
  145. Richard

Jack, the real question is; WHY NOT?

This is exactly what God meant when he said; " ...be friutful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it.

December 10, 2009 at 7:19 pm |
  146. Nate of Morgantown, WV

I think this is a simple question that deserves and simple answer, yes. Furthermore, this technology should be used for all other concepts of baby customization. If we can prevent certain diseases, reduce chances of illness and cancer, and improve a human beings life expectancy, then I wouldn't have a problem if someone wanted to make sure their baby had blue eyes or brown hair or whatever.

I don't buy into the whole gender imbalance arguement either. The last time I checked, women outpopulated men 52% to 48% on the global scale; so, there already is an imbalance and there probably will always be one. This also assumes that a majority of people today can afford $18K to genetically modify their future baby. Not only is that NOT realistic, but I personally wouldn't spend the money to make sure I was having a boy or a girl. I don't think we should prevent this kind of technology just because some people think it's unethical. If it doesn't harm the baby, doesn't harm the parents, and doesn't hurt those around them, then there isn't any reason why people shouldn't be allowed this option.

December 10, 2009 at 7:19 pm |
  147. Danielle

No, I would not chose my child's sex because thats trying to be God. Science, for the most part, is a beneficial thing but this is too much. It saddens me that people would consider this and is even more disheartening that doctors would allow people to do this.

December 10, 2009 at 7:20 pm |
  148. Andy

Jack,

It might sound unethical, but I come from a third world country in west africa where women either get sent home to their father's home by their husbands for not having boys or their husbands go and impregnate other women after their wives have had 6-10 girls (no boys). Having to choose the gender might help such societies that insist on having boys for continuation of family name avoid over-population.

December 10, 2009 at 7:20 pm |
  149. Carol

Jack,

All I can say is, it's no accident you have four daughters. If you didn't have women to run rings around you, you would be a real jerk instead of the charming curmudgeon you currently are!

December 10, 2009 at 7:20 pm |
  150. Ivan Goldberg, NJ

Sure and while we're at it let's ensure blonde hair, blue eyes, minimum 6' tall. Of course we could eliminate, Jews, Blacks, Homosexuals and any other type of human being that would otherwise fall short of Adolf Hitler's ideal orHouse Republican Leader John Boehner of Ohio for that matter. Just imagine how much better this nation would be.

Of course I would have to go as well.

December 10, 2009 at 7:20 pm |
  151. Dennis from Oregon

Jack,
    As a christian father of three young sons I say no way should any Doctor ever consider this. We must not forget that we are all God's children and we as parents should be incredibly happy with whatever gender He decides to give us. This screening technology is simply wrong on so many fronts and hopefully this practice will be banned asap.

Happy early birthday, BTW.

December 10, 2009 at 7:20 pm |
  152. Jared Schwartz

Scientist need to start thinking before the do. They are so frantic wondering if they can do something they never stop and think "Is this something we should do". Some things are best unknown.

Windham, NY

December 10, 2009 at 7:21 pm |
  153. John Ca.

No, I would let the natural things happen on this subject.

December 10, 2009 at 7:21 pm |
  154. Bill McLaughry: COLORADO

My son and his wife are delighted with two daughters, whose conception was a roll of the dice. Their rationale: Who starts all the wars? Who commits the child abuse, the rape, the serial murders, the torture, the cynical contempt of their most profound oaths?? Men, men, nearly always men. My wife and I are proud that we raised two civilized boys who never fail to bring us deep satisfaction, but their gender was not our decided on our passing whim.

December 10, 2009 at 7:21 pm |
  155. Charlie in Bremerton Wa

Can I alter the little bugger's dna so s/he grows a horn too? Can I make the skin glow-in-the-dark? How bout a cup holder? For $18000 I expect my money's worth.

December 10, 2009 at 7:22 pm |
  156. Brady

Jack,
    I personally would not choose my child's sex through this embryonic screening process. While I do not believe this procedure grossly violates ethical principles, I am concerned about what this could lead to in the future. If we embrace choosing the sex of our children without asking seriously considering the ramifications, what's to stop us from choosing more specific physical attributes? This could threaten our most sacred democratic principle, that all people are created equal.

December 10, 2009 at 7:22 pm |
  157. Pete

Pretty funny, 'it was easy', not sure if Wolf got it, but I did.

Gender selection, I'm all for it. There are so many positive reasons.

Just imagine being the kid who ended-up the wrong gender. Think about it, you probably know someone. It seems like a tough way to grow-up. A choice could change alot of lives for the better. The parents, the kids, the grandkids, etc, etc.

December 10, 2009 at 7:22 pm |
  158. michael armstrong sr. TX.

No Jack It would seam that the child would be tanted from its true identity.

December 10, 2009 at 7:23 pm |
  159. Rich, Kankakee, IL.

In India and China it should be legal! In China they kill baby girls by the thousands and fined or imprisoned familes for having another child, they have an extra 40 million males maybe that is why they are expanding their militray they have men to burn. In India their girls father would rather kill thier little baby girls rather then pay a dallory, paying the other family to get married to their child.

December 10, 2009 at 7:23 pm |
  160. daphne

There are some medical reasons for gender selection. Autism is a good example. With the increased rates of autism, one statisitic has remained the same: 4/5 cases are boys, for reasons unknown. In general, there is a statistical reaccurance risk of 7-8% in families which already have a child with autism. As there is no known cause or prenatal test to screen for autism, the only thing that can be done to minimize this reaccurance risk – although no guarentee – is to gender select for a girl. I did just that successfully

December 10, 2009 at 7:23 pm |
  161. matt

i wuoldn't want to chose my child's gender. Let god select it for me.

December 10, 2009 at 7:23 pm |
  162. Nubia, DC

Jack, my father was so determined to have a boy when my mom gave birth to the fifth girl, he denied her to return home she had to stay with my grandmother for a week. Although he finally had a son by the sixth attempt, I don't think my dad will change the outcome. There are things that we should not mess with such us genetically engineering our children. Children are gifts from GOD, as the giver GOD should be the only one who decides whether we should have a son or daughter. By the way I am the 7th and youngest for my parents, they gave up on having a second boy after I was born a girl.

December 10, 2009 at 7:24 pm |
  163. David

Yes... The father of two boys my wife and I would love a girl. We would do it in a heartbeat.

December 10, 2009 at 7:24 pm |
  164. Rich McKinney, Texas

Just think Jack. Had this technology been available 100 years ago you might be wearing a Bra.

December 10, 2009 at 7:24 pm |
  165. Joseph Urniquer

Science has shown that women are often less intelligent and will make less money throughout their lives so I think it's clear that having a boy is preferable.

December 10, 2009 at 7:24 pm |
  166. Megan

Well I am a very picky person but I believe it is just wrong. Maybe I want a boy but I get a girl. It doesn't matter. Were blessed to even have a child.

December 10, 2009 at 7:25 pm |
  167. Mike from Denver

No, at least not medically. My parents wanted a boy, and used natural methods to try and change the odds by monitoring temperature and time of the month. We should stick with the basics.

December 10, 2009 at 7:25 pm |
  168. Rich, Kankakee, IL.

We have been doing selective breeding ever since men gained pets, and farm animals this is nothing new! Soon we will be cloning too the military would love that for thier super solider programs!

December 10, 2009 at 7:25 pm |
  169. Robert Slaven from Camarillo CA

People have been picking their babies' genders for years now, especially in India and China. Each of those countries now has tens of millions of "extra" males. What happens when they start looking for wives?

History shows us that nations with a surplus of males invariably become violent; either outwardly by waging aggressive war, or inwardly by descending into banditry.

Does America want to go down that slippery slope, too?

December 10, 2009 at 7:26 pm |
  170. Carol

Jack,

I think God does a better job. You got four daughters to run rings around you. They keep you the charming curmudgeon we know & love. Without their influence, you might not be charming, just a grump!

December 10, 2009 at 7:26 pm |
  171. Sarah, omaha, NE

To all that say it is in god's hands, does that mean that you are against in-vitro all together? If picking a gender is playing god, then isn't in-vitro playing god as well? Or even saving peoples lives in a hospital when they have a traumatic injury. Is that playing god also? I am not trying to criticize, just trying to come to a better understanding of the way people are thinking when it comes to the idea of "playing god".

December 10, 2009 at 7:26 pm |
  172. David of Texas

Oh boy Jack! Yet another way to screw-up the balance of life. China and India has already shown that Gender Prejudice has offset the male to female ratio to a point where it may not recover. There is a reason there is a 49 to 51 ratio. Leave it alone and leave it to chance. On a deeper note: What we really need is an incentive NOT to have as many children. Look around you Jack. So many of today's problems would be lessened if there were just less of us. Common people...enough is enough.

December 10, 2009 at 7:26 pm |
  173. Justin Fritsch

Jack,
    We have seen an interesting phenomenon here in the States the last few years: it appears as though American pop icons and the predominantly wealthy have begun to use babies more as accessories rather than seeing them as the miracles that they truly are. While science has provided us with an important tool to help couples scan for genetic diseases, I fear this will fuel the idea that the wealthy can create their own "designer babies."
    Justin,
    San Diego

December 10, 2009 at 7:26 pm |
  174. audrey azore

with this option we are making hitler and his cronie a kin to mother theresa. we screen for hair color,lips, noses, abnormalities, and God knows what. . i say come on mengele go to work

December 10, 2009 at 7:27 pm |
  175. Chris

I believe its dead wrong to chose what sex, its a gift to be blessed with a child. Your given what God intended you to have,( be it whatever God you choose).

December 10, 2009 at 7:28 pm |
  176. Bernie of Lowell, MA

Jack. Life magazine showed us all how it happens in fantastic color pictures in an article they published sometime in the late 1950's or early 1960's.

December 10, 2009 at 7:28 pm |
  177. Noel Kuzoe

I think its a bad idea to gender select. It will eventually lead to gender imbalance. We could end up with more women than men in one country and more men than women in another. Leave it to mother nature. It has done a great job so far.
    Noel
    Atlanta

December 10, 2009 at 7:28 pm |
  178. John in L.A.

Not necessary, Jack. Here in Los Angeles one chooses his/her, her/his own gender at puberty. Get with the program.

December 10, 2009 at 7:29 pm |
  179. Barbie from Hollywood, CA

WHO CARES what other countries do with screening info for embryos?!! It's none of our business...

What WE need is, to choose ones that are free of genetic problems so there will be fewer children reliant upon caretakers and local/state/federal funds for their entire lives.

And it would be wonderful if couples wise enough to want only two or 3, could choose the sex they want, each pregnancy. (ENOUGH of the 10 to 19 children in families where one or the other of the parents is against birth control!) People won't have to keep trying for that elusive boy or girl... It's time to use our common sense and genetics to allow people to choose what they want, the FIRST time or two around.

And don't talk to me about screening out "The Gay Kids." The gay children have been around just as long as the rest of us, and we should just get over it, and give them the Equality they deserve, and move on to more important matters, like re-building America with ALL of us working together, for a change.

December 10, 2009 at 7:30 pm |
  180. D.R.

Sure, why not. After all, God gave us the technology to do so.

December 10, 2009 at 7:30 pm |
  181. D Asbury in Georgia

I can just see the lawyers rubbing their hands together, ready to pounce on the parents for choosing the wrong gender for their child. The tactless commercials will be inundating the airwaves. Thank goodness for TiVo.

December 10, 2009 at 7:30 pm |
  182. Tom in Iowa

Chosen gender? You bet. All boys. Who would want to have girls on purpose? Nothing but ........

OOPS gotta run, the wife and daughters just walked in. 🙂

Tom in Iowa

December 10, 2009 at 7:30 pm |
  183. Rose

I would, only if I decide to have twins. Otherwise, I would want my baby to "surprise" me... We are already choosing the names for our children, I don't think we should choose their gender aswell...

December 10, 2009 at 7:31 pm |
  184. Sebastian Borowski

Hey, I saw your comment and was shocked! Living in Germany I never really thought about choosing the sex of à Child. However, I do think that this could be a serious Problem we will face in the Future, especially in countries like India and China, as already mentioned. My oppinion is that it should be illegal,and should only be used for Medical Research or treatements.

December 10, 2009 at 7:31 pm |
  185. Jeff Gohlke

The problem here is not an ethical one. Eliminating this technology simply because certain people hold opposing religious beliefs is against everything this country is built upon. Those people will be free to choose not to utilize it.

Rather, the issue is a practical one. What will the ramifications of this technology be? If it leads to gross gender imbalance, then we may have a problem. When biology becomes subject to whims and trends, it would seem that even those stable, unshakable, fundamental institutions can become as volatile and unpredictable as the economy.

Athens, GA

December 10, 2009 at 7:31 pm |
  186. Brad in NYC

I wonder what "people" Phyllis has been listening to. I think they're all in her head . . .

What about engineering a child's sexuality?

December 10, 2009 at 7:31 pm |
  187. Tony from the Artic Tundra, MN

If we had the money- for our last child, I would be completely willing to, assuming our first three were all one gender. Thus far, we have two of the most beautiful little girls I have ever seen before but I think it would be interesting to have a boy- just to know what it is like to have both. If our two tots today were both boys, I would hope that our last one was a girl for the same reason.

I love my children with all my heart and wouldn't change them for anything in the world but if I had a choice- I would prefer to have at least one of each gender. On top of the experience gained from having both genders around, as children grow up, I think they learn better interaction with the opposite gender having a sibling who is of a comparable age versus only having a parent that is the opposite gender.

December 10, 2009 at 7:32 pm |
  188. Heather

I have 4 beautiful daughters and am not having any more children. If I was offered the chance to have a son, without paying 18 grand, I might consider having another child. So the choice comes down to another child or not for me. The chance to raise a son is the drive, all circumstances are different it would be nice to have the option available. As it stands I believe I am destined to have all grandsons....

December 10, 2009 at 7:33 pm |
  189. Adam

You bet. If my wife and I felt strongly about wanting a particular gender, if we had the financial ability, and the doctor says it's safe, then there's no reasonable argument to not do it. For us, we don't have the money and we don't care very much about the gender right now. But if we do in the future, this will be a no-brainer.

This isn't an issue of loving our child, we'd love the child the same whether we chose the gender or not. This is simply a matter of technology enabling people to shape and experience life the way we want.

Any argument against this is likely just a disguised fear of the unkown.

December 10, 2009 at 7:33 pm |
  190. DCG

Please leave your religious rhetoric out of the argument. It's not right to impose your faith on others.

December 10, 2009 at 7:33 pm |
  191. Abu, Texas

The answer is no Jack. Gender should come naturally and not with some modifications.

December 10, 2009 at 7:33 pm |
  192. Ben MN

Its interesting the number of comments that relate to God and not wanting to stop or control what is "God's Creation". I'm a religous person, but a majortiy of human technology can be attributed to controlling "God's Creation"...if I have a headache, I take a Tylenol. I'm obviously not going to compare a headache to having children (I have 2 by the way) but its a little late for humanity to stop trying to play god in my opinion, we all do it every day in our lives.

December 10, 2009 at 7:34 pm |
  193. Toby Bowlin

I find it so ridiculous that all these hypocritical religious people have a problem with choosing the sex of the child and calling it 'playing god'. And throwing around 'God's will' as if they have any idea. And not mentioning at all the act of in vitro-fertilization as being against 'Gods will' . In that line of thought, these people are sterile for a reason. Maybe "GOD" didn't want them to have a baby! Give me a break.

December 10, 2009 at 7:35 pm |
  194. Timmons

Since there's no proof of the existence of gods (large or small G), the notion of "playing god" is not one I am concerned about. Every religion has exactly the same number of supporting facts as any other religion (that is to say, none... that's why it's called "faith" and not "science," after all).

That said, I am not in favor of choosing one embryo over another on the basis of gender. Since both genders are equally necessary and equally valuable to the continuation of the species, of families, of communities and of societies there is no defensible reason to prefer one gender over the other. Therefore I think this is an unnecessarily meddlesome technology.

As we find in most aspects of human life, individual decisions in aggregate have a remarkably large impact. Many of the decisions we make are self-serving and the consequences are often damaging to others. This would possibly be the case here, too.

December 10, 2009 at 7:35 pm |
  195. Cecily

I think that being able to choose the gender of your child could be a good thing and a bad thing. In countries where horrible things happen to little girls because a boy was preferred this could be a way of preventing bad things to happen to innocent girls. On the other hand if we are to create say more males than females or vice versa we could see terrible effects. Also, if only one parent wanted to pick the sex this could cause the other parent to resent the child.

I don't think that I would want to choose the sex of my child. I am not really against it, but I would like to think that I view boys and girls in the same light. I would not want to pick one over the other.

December 10, 2009 at 7:36 pm |
  196. Maureen

Such an important topic there are guidelined for this scince you say women would have freedom of choice I think not could be chuch government etc, this needs to be thought through.

December 10, 2009 at 7:37 pm |
  197. Elizabeth from New England

I was an only girl with brothers. I used to ask my mother if we could trade in my two brothers for one sister.

I wanted two children. I was lucky enough to have 2 daughters naturally.

Had I given birth to a boy first, and had the chance to pick the gender of the second child I'd have chosen another boy. I've never understood why anyone would want one of each. Two of each I can see, but not one. It's so lonely to not have another child in the house of your own gender.

December 10, 2009 at 7:38 pm |
  198. rp2007

Not only I would but if my third child is another girl – I have two – I will do it for a boy!!! Hey – I love all my girls, but I really want the experience to have a son. Just a thought: What about birth control pill??? Is that playing God also????

December 10, 2009 at 7:39 pm |
  199. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

There are male populations who have a low reproduction system and are concerned about their ethnic population therefore choosing gender is important.

December 10, 2009 at 7:41 pm |
  200. M. W, Ellis

Jack,

Well let's see.....more and more women are wearing the pants while a growing number of men are opting for ear rings, etc. while losing their differential genitalia. This makes the choice not so simple any more.

Mark
    MA

December 10, 2009 at 7:41 pm |
  201. Ben

There are several people on here saying that it should be left to God to decide. If it was left to God many women wouldn't even be able to have children. IVF has made it so many couples unable to concieve on their own in the past are able to have a child. As a matter of fact if we left things to God we would all be dying from the black plague but because of science we were able to prevent that. Keep God in the church and out of science.

If you want to choose a gender I have no problem with it. Who does it hurt? No one other then someone saying it is Gods job.

December 10, 2009 at 7:42 pm |
  202. Doodles

In a few years, we will be shopping for faces in databases, combing through genes and handpicking which ones we prefer, aesthetically, ideally, whatever. Was it playing God to work for centuries to eliminate or fight pathogens? We no longer have enough resources on earth to sustain us in our current pattern of consumption. It begs the question of whether this new set of short-term "reproductive choices" falls under the Malthusian umbrella...incidentally, rape, kidnapping, and domestic violence spike dramatically in countries where parents are forced, via governmental impositions of things like the One Child Rule or similar legislation (see: China and India), to choose the gender of their child. Will an aesthetic mandate lead to a different result than one with other justification?? I guess we'll see.

December 10, 2009 at 7:42 pm |
  203. jack

I am currently pregnant with my second child. We went through genetics testing with both pregnancies to determine if our baby was a carrier for a genetic disorder that runs in the family. Both babies are healthy so we left the gender a surprise. As long as they are healthy I don't care what gender they are! I will never forget the doctor holding my daughter up in the delivery room and me announcing that she is a girl. I cannot wait to find out about this little miracle!

December 10, 2009 at 7:43 pm |
  204. Jeff McGovern

Once again this goes to show that the "Sanctity of Marriage" and "Family Values" is a deceptive ideology. If Marriage can be shown on TV by marrying a Dwarf, a lonely Bachelor or even better, a desperate has been celebrity. Married couples are not using "ethics" when they cheat on their spouses, when they oppose gays the right to marry, so why do you think they would use it when they choose the sex of their child? Jack, you're smarter than this...don't use the word Ethic's in a sentence when you are talking about marriage. No I would not choose the sex of my child. My partner and I would love any child we had, but then again we would adopt, and give a child who needs a home a good life.

Jeff NYC

December 10, 2009 at 7:44 pm |
  205. Sherri

In a world that routinely undervalues and abuses girls, the idea is frightening. There are cases where genetic disease is gender specific and I see it acceptable to bring a healthy child into the world. I don't like the idea of choosing one gender over the other under any other circumstance.

December 10, 2009 at 7:46 pm |
  206. steven

sure, there's nothing wrong with choosing your child's gender, go to an adoption agency and pick a girl, or a boy. it's absurd that we want to choose the gender of new babies while there are hundreds of children who need a good home.

December 10, 2009 at 7:46 pm |
  207. B from Washington (the State)

Jack,

First off, the genetic selection is of a child's sex, not gender. Sex is a biological trait, whereas gender is culturally defined. Just check with the World Health Organization if you don't believe me.

Second, the only reason I would choose my child's sex is if my attempts to get pregnant with my wife lead us to realize that the only way for the two of us to have a child together is through in-vitro fertilization and using a surrogate mother. Then, and only then, would we possibly discuss selecting the sex of our future children (2 at most) because the process is so expensive and we probably wouldn't want to go through it multiple times. But we would only decide to have one of each, and use this genetic technology to attempt to make that goal a reality.

December 10, 2009 at 7:47 pm |