December 7th, 2009

Did 'SNL' Tiger Woods skit go too far?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

"Saturday Night Live" is known for pushing the envelope when it comes to its satirical take on the news; but some say the show went too far this past weekend with a skit about Tiger Woods that insinuated domestic abuse.

The comedy sketch shows Woods holding a series of press conferences - where he tries to apologize for acts of infidelity. In each appearance, Woods appears more bruised and battered, eventually turning up with a golf club wrapped around his head - presumably having been put there by his wife.

But critics insist this is no laughing matter and ask if the show would have done the same sketch if it were a man suspected of beating his wife.

One person who probably wasn't laughing at this sketch was the show's musical guest, Rihanna, who was assaulted by her boyfriend, Chris Brown, earlier this year.

Meanwhile the Tiger Woods story and the alleged number of mistresses is growing larger by the day. Unofficial accounts have the number at nine with MSNBC reporting there could be more than a dozen women linked with the golfer by the end of this week. It's a wonder he ever had time to practice his golf game.

With all the tawdry headlines - no surprise that a new poll suggests Woods' popularity is circling the drain.

The CNN/Opinion research Corporation poll shows 60 percent of Americans have a favorable view of Woods; and 25 percent have an unfavorable view. That's down from an 84 percent favorable and nine percent unfavorable in 2001.

Here’s my question to you: Did Saturday Night Live go too far insinuating Tiger Woods was the victim of domestic violence?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Mike from Elmira, New York writes:
Jack, As far as I am concerned, it didn't go far enough. I am sick of political correctness and everything that goes with it. What SNL did is what SNL does. As great a golfer as he is, Tiger is stand-offish and shows bad sportsmanship time after time because he is never held accountable. Nature has a way of evening things out.

Bill from Sarasota writes:
No, the skit did not go too far. When you live your life in the public eye and earn your living by being a public figure, anything you do is fodder for parody, satire, or the late night host du jour. Best case I ever saw of laughing at someone because you're so glad it didn't happen to you!

Luwanna from Guysville, Ohio writes:
I happened to watch SNL during that skit and I can see why some think that it was in bad taste especially since Rihanna was on the show. However, SNL is known for bad taste and having been on the receiving end of abuse there was a slight sadistic streak of pleasure at the idea of the woman beating the man for a change.

Jim from Honolulu writes:
As a man who was in a physically abusive relationship, I wasn't particularly amused. However, Tiger Woods so brilliantly manipulated his public image while secretly living a life of debauchery, lies, and hedonism that he is a worthy target of ridicule. The idol of so many kids and adults has been revealed a mean and vile person who treats subordinates like slaves. He asked for all this.

Ole from Laguna Beach, California writes:
Are you kidding me, Jack? Tiger Woods doesn't deserve to have any fans any longer. I'll bet he gets booed off the golf course if he ever decides to play again. If he was honorable, which of course he isn't, he would leave his wife, as he doesn't deserve her. He has totally shamed his family and his young children. He needs to quit golf, go into therapy, and beg forgiveness from everyone who has helped him in the past.

Mike from Denver writes:
Is it a double standard? Yes. Did the audience laugh? Yes. And if Tiger doesn't like it, then he should not have been night putting.

Filed under: Media Coverage
  1. Angela

Dallas tx
    Yes I believe they went above and beyond insulting Tiger Woods. I don't understand why people in America care so much about what goes on in celebrities lives. There are more important issues going on like young children being prostituted by their parents. I say just drop everything and let them deal with their lives like the rest of the population does.

December 7, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  2. Doug - Dallas, TX

Nope! Tiger can solve his PR problem but as long as he chooses to say nothing, he's fair game for all the speculators. Either way, sounds like his wife is going to have a lot of extra cash in her pocket.

December 7, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  3. Ed from California

No, SNL did a good job w/Woods. but I thought the opening w/the Party Crashers was one of the best skits yet!

December 7, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  4. Sandra - Temecula, CA

SNL always goes too far, that's what they do. Too bad they always base their skits on their opinions and can't provide equal opportunity skits for all. Sarah Palin took alot of SNL bashing, while Obama was idolized. SNL's job is to entertain and lately I have not seen anything I consider entertaining from SNL.

December 7, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  5. Simonsays/Orlando

Yes. Domestic violence is not something they should joke about. This is not a funny subject.

December 7, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  6. Rick Medina,OH

Jack,

Tiger Woods had great handlers when he first emerged into the public forum. He was branded as a 'peachy clean' workaholic with the skills to change the game. And he did it, for which he has been rewarded handsomely. Because of Tiger, golf is a sport again, not just a game. But, he is also a celebrity, which earns him the brunt of comic ridicule, when he behaves in a way that breaches his branding.

I'm sorry, Jack, but the thought of Erin chasing him down the drive-way with a 3-iron in her hand ... it's both sad and funny.

Rick, Medina, OH

December 7, 2009 at 2:37 pm |
  7. Casey | Ruth, CA.

There's no such thing as "too far" if it's SNL. That's the place FOR such antics, not headline news shows.

December 7, 2009 at 2:55 pm |
  8. Tom in Desoto, Tx

I don't believe so. Perhaps they wouldn't have been so tough on him if he wasn't so smug with his nose in the air as if he were royalty. He tries to control everything like he does a golf shot, looks like he need practice or clean up is act, and I do mean act.

December 7, 2009 at 2:55 pm |
  9. Tony from Southport

Absolutely not. Comedy knows no bounds. Politician or celebrity alike.

December 7, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  10. Richard McKinney, Texas

Jack I have not watched Saturday Night Live for years. It use to be a decent show to watch when nothing else was on. Their satire is not the highest quality in the land but they do have an audience otherwise they would not be in business. Your talking about them today so what ever they aired must have had some shock value or was at least funny. This too shall pass Jack as soon as there is someone else to make fun of or exploit.

December 7, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  11. Patti Clauss

Did SNL go too far? I think the question better suited although already answered in my mind is did Tiger Woods go too far. Yes to Tiger, no to SNL. They have been making fun of folks for years. You put yourself out there; be ready to take the heat.

Cordova TN

December 7, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  12. Jane (Minnesota)

I saw the skit Saturday night and I didn't find it offensive and actually found it amusing since there's been all the secrecy about the episode; I was fortunate to have grown up in the era where we had Movies like Blazing Saddles and TV shows like All in the Family and Snaford and Son and actually watched them and lughed. America, it really is OK to laugh! I've read it's actually good for you too.

December 7, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  13. Peg from NY

If this is considered too much then political correctness has gone too far! It was a joke and a very funny one at that! Long live SNL!

December 7, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  14. Archer H.

They hit a hole in one with this skit. Way too funny.

-Brentwood, TN

December 7, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  15. K

Whatever Tiger Woods did or didn't do is between him and his family. The media, tabloids, SNL have no place in a private matter. Just because someone is a celebrity does not deprive them of privacy. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!

December 7, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  16. Jack Carlson

We need to get away from the silliness of this world. Most athletics these daya are drug taking phonies and our kids should never be told to look up to these clowns.
    More offensive are the Billionaire owners talking Cities and States into taxing their residents to feed the owners bellies.
    Jack C
    WA

December 7, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  17. Paul, Austin, Texas

No when all the true facts are in that could of been the case or both could of vitims of each other. Anything that brings domestic violence to become the topic of even a skit is to acknowledge that in our society that is more comon that many think.

December 7, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  18. K.Nanstad

No! SNL is terrific as usual, great on satire, and the "skit," with regard to Tiger Woods, was definitely funny, in my opinion.

K. Tacoma,WA

December 7, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  19. joe m

i saw that skit and i thought it was absolutely funny. the writers just gave voice to some things that others have thought of in private. and you've got to admit jack, they didn't just get tiger in that skit, but they also did a good job with wolf.

December 7, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  20. Rob of Brooklyn

actually , not far enough

December 7, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  21. Joshua F.

What? He can't take a joke? Other programs on TV make jokes in regards to racsism and a lot more insulting topics. But yet, God forbid, when certain subjects are broached, we become insulted? I, along with probably most of America, have been "joked" about with mistakes in my life and can be ascertained that if I make some mistake down the road that it will be brought to the light for people to joke about. I don't have someone many miles away from me become insulted about that. I swallow my pride and move on. Sorry Tiger! But you need to be a man and accept the joke for what it is! A JOKE!

December 7, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  22. Sylvia from San Diego

Jack,

I stopped watching SNL when they changed from being hilarious to outright mean.... That happened when they started making fun of Sarah Palin. I hope Tiger sues the hell out of them!!!

December 7, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  23. Stacy st. Augustine

It's just SNL comedy you can never go to far. I never wanted to play golf but I would like to have some lesson's from Tiger.

December 7, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  24. Jim in Alabama

Who cares Jack? The media has made this a sensational story...not the American people. I could care less about Tiger's private life. As usual, the news now is 24/7 and they have to fill it with something don't they. The media are the ones who need to get a life.

December 7, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  25. Jimmy from Houston, TX

Yes they did, but that's par for the course with SNL. Guess they think it's ok since they are portraying the woman as the abuser. They didn't and wouldn't do the same thing with Chris Brown as the abuser. Until SNL feels a financial decline from their opinionated skits, nothing will change.

December 7, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  26. Joe M

Jack,

Domestic violence is no laughing matter Jack and the producers of SNL should know that. It sounds like Woods is guilty of infidelity which is wrong but, if his wife beat him because of it, that is just as wrong if not worse. As guys we are conditioned to never hit a woman and for good reason. But what if she is the abuser? Then what do you do? Run? That's exactly what it sounds like Woods was doing. The producers of SNL stepped way out of bounds on this one Jack and they should man up and apologize not just to Woods but, all the other unfortunate people who have suffered from spousal abuse.

Joe M (MN)

December 7, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  27. Harold, in ANCHORAGE, AK

When someone decides to profit from his celebrity, he is putting himself willingly in the public forum.

Personally I consider this to be the Woods' family matter.

December 7, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  28. Moe Thompson dallas tx

I would say not at all, they were much harder on Sarah Palin with Tina Fey..Bet Tiger wishes he could see Russia from his porch ! !

December 7, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  29. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Yes and domestic violence is no laughing matter! This saga shows a real poor PR...I guess Letterman had more experience in saving his face and his ....!

December 7, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  30. Gail, Plano,Texas

Gee, Jack, we thought way before the SNL skit on Saturday night that it was domestic violence. I mean, who takes a golf club to break out a back window when an accident occurs? How about using a key? The wife was obviously enraged. Understandably so. So, no, I don't think SNL went too far. No one was really surprised at the skit. And sorry to say, Tiger deserved it!

December 7, 2009 at 4:40 pm |
  31. Eugene, Myers Flat, CA

No Jack. SNL didn't go too far. I'm glad to see that SNL takes a shot at everybody, regardless of race, creed or sport.

December 7, 2009 at 4:44 pm |
  32. Kris in Ohio

I don't know that it went too far compared to other SNL skits but it was sadly obvious and unoriginal.

December 7, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  33. Steve Canada

It would have been different if the roles had been reversed, however here is a news flash for everyone..IT WASN'T..Now we are getting politically correct about comedy..Sorry Jack, I come from the old Honeymooners era..If that makes me a neanderthal, so be it..If i think its funny, I'm gonna laugh first, not look around to see who is watching..

December 7, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  34. Michael Alexandria, VA

It was tawdry, but that's comedy, Jack. I am frankly tired of the sex lives of athletes being an issue at all.

December 7, 2009 at 4:55 pm |
  35. pinokeeoh in Tennessee

As the poitically correct crowd allows religion to be bashed and makes all kinds of outrageous claims about their opponents, please leave comedy alone, it is comedy, it's funny, ok.

December 7, 2009 at 5:00 pm |
  36. Steven Bradley

Jack,
    You're a popular guy so I'll stick to the facts and keep this short: televised golf w/o Tiger is like watching paint dry.

December 7, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  37. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

He deserves everything that he gets in all areas and his endorsements will fall by the wayside but he did it to himself and has hurt a lot of people because of his behavior that he chose. He is open season at SNL. I hope he's happy and gets help soon.

December 7, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  38. Adam Simi Valley, CA

Why does anyone care about Tiger Woods? People need to lighten up. If you are that sensative, chances are you aren't watching SNL anyway.

December 7, 2009 at 5:08 pm |
  39. Pat from Michigan

Not at all Jack. Anyone that watches SNLdoes so knowing they are watching comedy satire, and not the nightly news. I think people can still laugh at slap stick comedy without kicking the dog or beating the wife.

December 7, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  40. Dan, Chantilly VA

There's a big difference between habitual domestic violence aimed at physically and emotionally controlling a person, and a woman chasing her husband down the driveway with a 5-iron after finding out he cheated on her with a cocktail waitress. There's nothing funny about the former. Is there a double standard here? Of course, but there's a double standard with pretty much everything when you involve gender.

December 7, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  41. Bizz, Quarryville, Pennsylvania

Jack, Saturday night is a show designed to make you laugh. I saw the sketch you're talking about and I had to laugh. I do think domestic abuse is serious especially when it comes to women being beaten by their husbands because I have four daughters. My TV has an off switch which I can push at any time. Comedians make jokes especially when someone famous does something stupid and that is how I looked at the sketch on Saturday Night live.

December 7, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  42. Patty A Banks Palmdale CA

No, I don't thnk the skit went to far, but Tiger certainly did!

December 7, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  43. Bob

No, they didn't go too far....he brought this on himself with all the obfuscation about what happened and the reason for it...remember, " what goes around comes around"....
    Bob J
    Kansas City, Mo.

December 7, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  44. honestjohn in Vermont

Nah. He is fair game. He thinks he can manage this and get away with it– but he created this mess he is in. He is acting worse than our politicians caught in similiar circumstances. His problems are not going away and his silence condemns him. He should have stood up and nipped this in the bud instead of hiding his head in a sandtrap.

December 7, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  45. Darrell Wright from Anderson, Indiana

Well lets see, all the news channels covered this story like clockwork last week, and as John Stewart stated (in some ways) what was big about this story. If this had happened to anybody else, (Other Politicians and celebrities aside) no one would care. This was about as interesting of a story as when Paris Hilton went to Jail and the news crew basically stayed with her the entire time.

So no the Saturday Night Live skit did not go to far, simply because I think it was making fun of all the news coverage this story was receiving. As Tiger Woods stated earlier, this is a private family matter.

December 7, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  46. David in Raleigh, NC

If you're a public figure and you misbehave in public, you're fair game for the media and the comedians.

December 7, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  47. Jay

No. Tiger Woods made his own bed, and it’s SNL’s, Jon Stewarts’s, Jay Leno’s, etc. job to make him lay in it. If you’re famous, and you don’t want to be spoofed by Late Night, don’t do stupid things like cheat on your wife. And definitely don’t blame the comedians for jumping on juicy material.

December 7, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  48. Alex in Seattle

Since it is all still speculation by the media, SNL pushed the line for a laugh. I believe SNL will back off if domestic violence turns out to be the truth since sadness of that crime is never funny regardless of the gender of the victim.

December 7, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  49. Jim

Jack,

SNL is known for pushing the envelope. If anybody actually thought Tiger was assaulted by his wife, the skit would have been over the line. In this case, though, the notion appears absurd, and the skit merely added to the absurdity.

Jim
    Reno, Nevada

December 7, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  50. Brian from Denver

Jack, I DO think SNL crossed the line–of decency and good taste. First, it insinuated a very serious charge of Domestic Violence, which is slanderous. Second, it made a joke about it. As someone who has worked with both victims and perpetrators of Domestic Violence, I can tell you that it is absolutely not a laughing matter. When will our culture begin to teach us that just because we CAN do something, doesn't mean we SHOULD?!

December 7, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  51. Buzz from Solvang, CA

Jack

PUHLEEZE.Comedy is not very good if it is nothing but safe all the time. The SNL skit was hilarious and NO ONE thinks women beating men in real life is funny. This is much ado about NOTHING.

December 7, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  52. Tina Tx

I cannot say because I quit watching SNL years back but would not surprise me if they crossed the line. That is what comedy does.

December 7, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  53. Ed W. Sanger

Please let the Tiger live his life like the rest of us. Just think if all the average citizens was in his predictment, would we be in the headlines? No, he is being punished and highlighted because he is a super star, so instead let us highlight our soldiers who are trying to save us, they need the attention in our TV's, newspapers, and tabloids. Ed

December 7, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  54. Paulette from Dallas,PA

I did not personally see these spoofs but I think SNL did cross the line. Domestic violence is no joke . SNL may have been better off selecting a different topic last week.

December 7, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  55. christa

When you became a mega millionaire because people loved what you did for golf, they bought your product, they watched your tournaments, they believed in you and what you stood for and now it was all a sham. I believe they have a right to laugh about you, because they got so angry at you. But now we all know, that Tiger Woods is only human.

December 7, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  56. Terence

Jack, Saturday night live didnt go far enough. Tiger was the one who went too far.
    Terence , NJ

December 7, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  57. Audrey Glover West Point Ga.

The feeding frenzy over Tiger Woods has all gone to far. With all the important issues facing Americans Tiger Woods private life matters should be none of our business. I guess prying minds want to know all the salacious details to satisfy their need for gossip. This isn't breaking news it is breaking gossip. Tiger is not running for public office or leading a crusade for moral high ground. Tiger is an athlete on planet earth doing what he does exceptionally well. Enough already.

December 7, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  58. KarenB, central Florida

No matter who it is or what it is, it will be blown out of proportion. They have to keep up the ratings and justify their existence. At this point, who cares (except Tiger Woods of course, if he loses his backers/advertisers/big money etc). Someone once said (and its been resaid in various ways) "the only bad publicity is no publicity" (or something like that) - in his case, it might be wrong.

December 7, 2009 at 5:42 pm |
  59. Jeff Rodgers

The double standard won't get as much air time because the alleged sex with all of the lawyered up women is much juicier; but domestic violence is no laughing matter, and it is outrageous that SNL would do what it did with, of all people, Rihanna on the show.

This country is in deep trouble.

December 7, 2009 at 5:42 pm |
  60. Bill- Sarasota, FL

No, the skit did not go too far.
    Best case of laughing at someone because you're so glad it didn't happen to you I ever saw!

December 7, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  61. Jerry Jacksonville, Fl.

Yes they have, as a fan of Tiger I believe he has learned a valuable lesson that no matter the wealth, fame or popularity you don't run around on you wife, that is a big NO NO. If you want to get out and explored greener grass, get a divorce, would be a lot less thought about it..

December 7, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  62. Rich, Kankakee, IL.

Who really cares, they tell joke, let them keep doing that because that is their job right!

December 7, 2009 at 5:48 pm |
  63. Luci - Pekin, IL.

No they didn't. Add my name to the anti Woods. I get so tired of seeing him throwing his clubs and the announcers acting like he is God. There are many very hard working men out there playing in the same game, but all you hear is his name. If I was his wife, I would leave him so fast that his head would spin. Take the money and leave him to the Barmaids.

December 7, 2009 at 5:48 pm |
  64. Loren, Chicago

Jack, they weren't insinuating that he was the victim of domestic violence, they were insinuating that he should have been. While domestic violence is generally no laughing matter, the point that SNL was trying to make is that if you live your life in the public eye and choose to benefit from it, when you abuse that public trust by making lame and self-serving statements that only open more questions, then maybe, just maybe, you have whatever is coming to you.

They were not suggesting that Elin beat Tiger up. They were suggesting that Tiger abused Elin by his continual prevarication with the media and by that, keeping the issue open for all the dirt to come out in a slow, more humiliating manner for his wife.

What they were suggesting is that if he had told the truth in the first place, i.e. I have failed to honor my commitment to my wife and family and that has resulted in these unfortunate circumstances, then less would have been made of the whole event.

What SNL did is point out the obvious, the Tiger is just one more tawdry role model. As far as I'm concerned, SNL's skit was spot on.

December 7, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  65. Lynn, Columbia, Mo.

That's entertainment. In comedy everything is fair game and should be.

December 7, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  66. Maria

SNL always goes too far. That's why it's still on the air after all these years. Tiger Woods is fair game just like anyone else.

Maria

Brunswick,MD

December 7, 2009 at 6:04 pm |
  67. RusRus Albuquerque New Mexico

No way Jack, Tiger insulted us by pretending he was perfect. He deserves everything he gets except money. Imagine earning a billion dollars for a hitting a tiny white ball with a stick, makes me sick.

Tax laws should be revised just for people like Woods whose greed is only surpased by their hypocracy.

Tiger didnt even admit what he did, until after others exposed him. I look forward to Tiger comedy hour each night starting with Leno.

December 7, 2009 at 6:04 pm |
  68. Karen - Nashville

Tiger Woods made himself a laughing stock, and SNL has done what they do best. If his wife did indeed attack him with a golf club, she has my sympathy. I hate to imagine the diseases she has risked simply by being his wife, and the thought of explaining this to her children some day in the future must be enough to give her nightmares.

December 7, 2009 at 6:06 pm |
  69. David in Raleigh, NC

If SNL can target Sarah Palin, then Tiger and other celebrities should expect no less.

December 7, 2009 at 6:07 pm |
  70. Anthony....Swedesboro, NJ

After years of making a fool of his wife, even when she was pregnant, I'm glad that she and we are having the last laughs. If he were man enough, like David Letterman, he would have come clean and concentrate on his image at home rather than in the press. Tiger and his rat pack NBA buddies make a scam of marriage and devour groupies like we do potato chips. Money doesn't always equate to class.

December 7, 2009 at 6:07 pm |
  71. Richard McKinney, Texas

People tend to give their idols a pass on bad behavior. The media does not. Tiger made his bed. It does not really mater how many women slept in it. I hope he used protection and practiced safe sex. If I was his wife I would get tested. No telling what else he brought home with him.

December 7, 2009 at 6:08 pm |
  72. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I don't know if SNL went too far but if so maybe it's time for a "Tiger's Law". That should put this to rest.

December 7, 2009 at 6:09 pm |
  73. John, Fort Collins, CO

It is sad to see Tiger Woods suddenly go from being one of the world's most respected athletes to the object of jokes and tasteless comedy routines like the SNL skit. At this point, he only has himself to blame: first for the contacts with women other than his wife, and second for not coming out immediately, in detail, with exactly what did happen the night of the crash. Give 300 million minds in this country several days to conjure up what might have gone on and you have the mess he is in right now.

December 7, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  74. CK Honolulu

It's Saturday NIght Live... Hello

December 7, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  75. Ben

No of course not! this is comedy. GET OVER IT! Seriously!

December 7, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  76. Josh from Texas

Are you kidding me? go too far? people just need to shut up and enjoy comedy as comedy, not some conspiracy.

December 7, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  77. Jon Gill,philadelphia

Absolutely not. Being a public figure means just that.
    I cannot possibly feels sorry for a billionaire being ripped on SNL.
    He brought this all on himself anyway. As soon as you start lying and hiding from the facts you simply invite ridicule.
    Besides, SNL goes after everyone with the same reckless abandon.

December 7, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  78. Mounir

TAKE A JOKE people. And if Woods doesn't want these type of jokes, maybe he can explain what happens. If not, take the jokes. They're funny.

December 7, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  79. Ken from Maryland

Back to the original question: Did Saturday Night Live go too far?

When's the last time they didn't?

The last I checked, SNL is a comedy show. They make fun of real life situations a dozen times per show. It's what they do. And it's why they've been on the air for 30 years. The show is about humor. Period.

December 7, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  80. Matt C.

It's just a joke, folks. I don't think anyone REALLY wants to live in this intensely politically correct world we have built. Lighten up.

December 7, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  81. matt

great TV, pure & simple

December 7, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  82. Amanda

You had to see it! It was hilarious slapstick, and that's it! I laughed so hard– honestly I haven't laughed that hard for a long time. The recession is a bummer.

December 7, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  83. Annie, Atlanta

No. It’s SNL. It’s parody. You don't want to talk to the media, they'll make stuff up. As far as being inconsiderate of Rihianna, there’s no comparison. Cheated-on wife losing it vs. a guy who thinks nothing of losing it – not the same thing.

December 7, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  84. Paul

SNL is a comedy show.. It's funny.. relax and enjoy it!!! I personally found it hilarious because I think it might be right on the mark!!.. and that's funny considering all the "hero worship" this guy generates. No one is perfect!

December 7, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  85. chaney, La.

Jack SNL did'nt do anything more than many of us had already thought about, having said that though I think that this family deserves some privacy...... I dont have to know every intimate sad detail to famous peoples lives....... give it a rest......

December 7, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  86. Rex

Jack, it's a comedy show. We all have the inept desire to laugh.
    And from a domestic violence point of view, female on male violence has always been the topic of whispers and chuckles.
    Double standard? you bet.

December 7, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  87. Jerry Barnett

Jack, SNL rarely does anything funny,
    but that was FUNNEE...
    so leave'em be and maybe they'll be funny again some day..

December 7, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  88. Heather

Seriously? This is even a news story? No, SNL did not go too far. They made a funny skit. It's what they do. Move on.

December 7, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  89. Justin

Your political correctness offends me. There is a big difference between domestic violence perpetrated by a woman, and domestic violence perpetrated by a man. Women are at a severe disadvantage in terms of physical strength, and cannot defend themselves when attacked by a man. Men always have the option of defending themselves. You can thank evolution for that fact of nature...

December 7, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  90. PB

It was funny – Tiger Woods is a public persona and he's fair game.

December 7, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  91. Karl from SF, CA

If they would have asked Tiger to play the part of himself, that may have been pushing it, but otherwise it's SNL for cryin' out loud.

December 7, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  92. Nancy from Tennessee

SNL is wonderful at helping us to laugh at ourselves and every one else who slips up. Tiger is probably glad that they found some humor in such a terrible situation. Every man in America is probably taking notes about the temperament of the Swedish ladies. The Swedish girls are probably thinking their fate is sealed. No red-blooded Americans in their future.

December 7, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  93. Gail

They ABSOLUTELY went too far. There is NOTHING funny about domestic violence or the pain involved in a family by infidelity. That little family will never be the same again and we, outside that family, by this kind of humor/ridicule, are adding to the pain of that wife, two beautiful children and even Tiger himself. We don't have that right.

December 7, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  94. Terry from Illinois

Are you serious? What the media did to President Clinton was overboard. Tiger Is just another rich athlete with girlfriends on the side. Domestic violence caused by transgressions it may be, but SNL was not overboard and it was funny, so get over it... its called comedy.
    If the media can do it to a President, why not an athlete?

December 7, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  95. David A Whitaker

Well Jack, the media will not stop I am a Tiger Woods fan. Yes in my opinion they did go to far, there is no evidence to say there were domestic violence. Eventhough we all can assume, Jack this is a cold hearted society. It doesn't matter whether a person innocent or guilty, out society support this type of of behavior through comedy or media. This is what it mean to live in a free society.

David
    Martinsburg,WV

December 7, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  96. Maggie

The key word is "insinuate". As you said Jack, did SNL go too far "insinuating" Woods' wife battered him? No, they did not. There was a group of us anxiously awaiting SNL this week as we all knew there would be 2 skits–the WH crashers and Tiger Woods. Hey, Tiger brought this on himself. He has insisted for years that the media leave him alone as they have a right to privacy. Hah!! Why doesn't he come out immediately and put this skepticism to rest. He has been viewed as a role model for years, and now he is in the category of balloon boy–full of a hot air and a hypocrit! I don't think Rihanna has anything to do with this.

December 7, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  97. P. I. White

Absolutely they went too far. Regardless of what one thinks of the Tiger Woods situation, spousal abuse is absolutely not a subject for comedy. To run a skit like this when Rhiana is their special guest given what she has gone through shows not only a lack of taste but a total lack of empathy. I sincerely doubt this would have received this kind of play if the husband/boyfriend was the supposed aggressor.

December 7, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  98. Lindsay

If your life is being mocked on Saturday Night Live, you are not a victim! You are being used for satirical purposes!!

December 7, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  99. Marie Noguerole

SNL is a comedy show. Comedians have pushed the envelope on every sensitive topic under sun from infidelity of presidents, gay issues, race issues and probably even the death penalty. If we start policing comedy were do we draw the line?

December 7, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  100. jamie elder

I believe that Saturday NIGHT Live did go too far. If Tiger Woods has had this many extra marital affairs, he is sick and needs serious help. There are many facilities for sex addition and it appears he has this problem. Just because someone is famous and or wealthy I don't think we hVE THE RIGHT TO JUDGE OR MAKE FUN OF THEIR SICKNESS.I will no longer personally root for him and have lost total respect for him but all this coverage can't possibly be helping the situation.

December 7, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  101. Nik

NO...it's comedy. When we need to be PC, we don't and we don't need to be PC are, we ARE. There are assuredly lines that should not be crossed ever in comedy (Foxx/Cyrus routine) but this is fair game.

December 7, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  102. Jeff, Jacksonville,FL

It will be a sad day when we have to be so politically correct, we can't lampoon the misfortunes of the rich and famous. Having seen the skit and getting a good laugh, it didn't change my disdain for domestic violence, nor the seriousness of the problem..

December 7, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  103. Jeremy

SNL skits have always been over the top and are jokes! I don't understand why people get so upset about their skits. Tiger Woods is a public figure and SNL over-dramatizes their lives and we laugh, if you can't laugh then don't watch it, it's that easy.

December 7, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  104. Michael Howley

Jack,

The reason that the SNL skit was funny was because of the role reversal. We made jokes about Lorena Bobbitt. With all of the madness in the world, laughter is the most important thing that is still free. If you don't like the jokes, change the channel. And, after all, no Tiger Woods were harmed in the making of that skit.

Michael H.,
    Northville, MI

December 7, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  105. Ken in NC

When notabls such as Tiger Woods who often seem above this type of event find themselves down wallowing in the muddy waters like so many "Regular People" from time to time, we tend to high light them and make fun of their proof of being no different than regular people with faults. The problem is that domestic violence is not funny in either case and just as wrong for the Tiger Wood's of the world as it is for the John and Jane Doe's of the world. SNL took this to far. This is not s subject that is to be made light of. SNL crossed the line on this topic.

December 7, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  106. John H

Give me a break. Humor is a healthy and effect tool to discuss and deal with almost any issue. Besides, those skits were hilarious!

December 7, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  107. mike-sey

Can't believe you're even asking the question. Of course SNL didn't go too far. And if the situation was reversed and it was his wife who was sleeping around and driving into hydrants the skit still wouldn't have crossed the line.

December 7, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  108. David

To say that SNL went "too far" is to deny them their right to speak freely. Obviously domestic abuse is a serious matter. But Tiger Woods has millions because he chooses to make what he does public. Privacy is the cost of fame.

December 7, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  109. Don Pizza

The sketch was hysterical. For someone who claims to desire privacy, I can't turn on the Television without him selling something. His attitude has always been one of I got it all figured out ... I'm enjoying every minute of this.

December 7, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  110. Dr. Barbara D. Ripel

Jack:
    If people would concentrate on the major events affecting our lives (the economy, health care, jobs, the wars) etc. maybe we could solve some of these issues instead of being excited about who is famous but doing "infamous" things. Corruption is one thing, morality is a personal thing and although we should all clean up our acts I feel Tiger Wood's marriage is none of my business. Thanks. I am tired of all this misdirection of energy. Let's get down to real issues.

December 7, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  111. norahg CC TX

No, they did not go too far. We are use to them making fun of everyone, that is no big deal. What is going too far is an athlete who everyone thought was the ideal role model self destructing in front of the whole country because he could not keep his hands etc. to himself. Shame on him for what he has done to his wife, children, mother and his young fans. He is right it is no ones business but his own, but he is the one who involved all these women who are speaking out about him, So Tiger who do you blame for that One???

December 7, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  112. EugeneWiese

Who's the Tiger and who has Tiger by the tail?SNL is funny and I enjoy it,but now it's time to forgive and forget.Someone in the Woods family should say they are sorry and someone should say I forgive you. Gene

December 7, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  113. Mark

How many athletes have had marital problems over the years, does that impact their performance, I don't really think so. Personal life should be personal. Did SNL go too far with the skit, only if you also consider that it wasn't that funny? From a social perspective I would agree that using gender stereotypes to get a laugh is not appropriate but then again, as long as people keep laughing then that type of comedy will continue to be produced.

Mark

December 7, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  114. Grace Martell

Are you kidding me? SNL does parody on everything, political or not.
    That skit was hilarious! It's one of the best shows left on TV. If anyone thought that the skit was "offensive"–you should be in bed by that time anyway. Get a grip and try not to be so PC.

December 7, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  115. Hunter

I don't think the skit went too far, at all. I remember a very similar skit from the early Nineties where the show parodies "Cops: In Little Rock" and they are on a domestic disturbance call when they arrive at the Clinton's house and the skit portrays Bill in the kitchen holding ice to his lip as if Hillary had beaten him up.

December 7, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  116. pat

Funny, funny, funny! I didn't see the show Sat. only excerpts on CNN today and it is very funny. In spite of my being a female and against domestic abuse (or, any abuse!) this is very funny. If reversed it would not be so funny – cannot really tell you why. Sort of like Tina Fey and Sarah – one of the funniest skits I have ever seen – still laughing. Actually, if the "story" of what took place is true it is to Tiger's credit he tried to get away and didn't physically react.

December 7, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  117. Ed Fincher

SNL is a comedy that pokes fun at all, regardless of the event. Tiger is getting what he desreves.

December 7, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  118. Bill from Kansas City

Absolutely not. I actually find it somewhat amusing that so many people are whining about this whole thing. People must understand that these skits are all in good fun. SNL is known for their outrageous skits, and is always pushing the limit when it comes to comedy.

December 7, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  119. steve in virginia

Yes, but I think SNL's habit of blurring the distinction between comedy and personal destruction might be doing us a public service. If SNL stopped presenting this kind of garbage, their viewers might pick their knuckles up off the ground and start walking upright. Then there would be more competition for jobs.

December 7, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  120. Richard Steckman

There was nothing even remotely inappropriate about the Tiger Wood skit on SNL. No logical human being believes that Tiger's injuries were the result of an auto accident Tiger caused while backing out of his driveway. SNL is irreverent about all subjects. To suggest that this skit went to far is absurd. Was is inappropriate for Rianna to sing about her co singer "peeing his pants"? Was this disrepectful to all people suffering from incontinence? Give me a break!

December 7, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  121. Ralph Spyer chicago Il

At a time with two wars, health care up in the air,and we are talking about Tiger and his wife ; my God more children have been killed this last year in Chicago than troops in Iraq, our children can not read .Were can I invest in China stock ?

December 7, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  122. Loretta

"Many a truth was said in jest", and as far as SNL going too far, of course they did, but they do it all the time and that's what makes this show as popular as it is. As soon as I heard about Tiger's accident, I sent my brother, an avid golfer, an e-mail and I said I'll bet this happened because he was trying to get away from his wife who probably found out that he was cheating with another woman. I wasn't even close, what is the count up to 5, 7, 10?

December 7, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  123. anne

Yes, yes, yes, yes. I am one that resents being included with those who think we "deserve" to know all. If the Law thinks that there was domestic violence involved, they can take care of it. His wife has probably been hurt by the revelation of a transgression on the part of her husband, but why should WE ADD to HER PAIN with our gossip and programs like Saturday Night Live.

December 7, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  124. Ralph

Did SLN go to far? No! Have you seen his temper at a tournament? Terrible!

December 7, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  125. Drew - Canada

In the golden years of SNL they pushed the envelope and that's what made it great. Then they started to get more and more censored and tone down their skits. Now they're back since the presidential elections with some edgy satire and it's doing what satire is meant to do – take human vice, expose it, make people think about it. Doesn't matter about what – domestic abuse, sexism, celebrities in the media, take your pick. It makes people laugh first and think later – the two things great satire is meant to do.

December 7, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  126. don from New Jersey

No! Not a case of a woman scorned, just teed OFF!!!

December 7, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  127. raul

snl's skit is as fair as it gets for tiger woods. he should have known that this was ment to happen. thanks to snl for makin us laugh. great for us, too bad for tiger.

December 7, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  128. tom

Jack,
    Can't we all sit back and just laugh at certain things. I thought it was hilarious. Some people just can't take what it was meant to do and that is to make us laugh. I am surprised that some people aren't saying that it was racist because he is black. SNL has been doing this for years and I hope they keep doing it. The one thing about SNL is they play no favorites. They make fun of everyone.

December 7, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  129. lynne from nc

Since he is in the public eye for his golfing, any of his family problems that come to life are also public. He should have known that SNL wasn't going let him skate.

What should have been asked is why didn't the police go farther in their investigation? If the same thing had happened to Joe and Mary Public, things would have been different. Joe would have been questioned at the hospital and maybe handcuffed to the bed. His hospital records seized with a warrant by any judge that the police could find. Mary, on the hand, would have been held or probably in jail for lying to the police and probably for domestic violence following the investigation. Money talks people.

December 7, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  130. Richard

Jack,

Not at all.On the contrary,Elin was the victim here.This was self defense.Tiger was going around having unprotected sex with many women and then he was coming home and possibly infecting her with who knows what.Go get tested Elin and then take Tiger to the cleaners.

Richard

Montreal,Canada

December 7, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  131. TM in New England

I don't think SNL took it too far. People watching the show know its history and comedic style. There's a reason it's on at 11:30pm. I've been watching since I was a senior in high school and am aware that they will poke fun at controversies. There has been no evidence of domestic violence in this story – just rumors.

As for whether or not Rhianna was unhappy about it, did she say anything about it? I think assuming so is ridiculous. I grew up in a house with domestic violence and I laughed at the SNL sketch. I laughed again when CNN showed it.

December 7, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  132. Rich Gould

Too far? Seriously? SNL is and has always been at its best when in satirical mode. The show has never shied away from current issues and has always strived to make a point...however subtle. The skit was the best I have seen on SNL in a while, and incredibly funny. Does anyone REALLY believe Eldrick "Tiger" Woods could be the victim of abuse by his wife? Have you seen the man without a shirt on? He is a competitive, A-type personality on the order of Michael Jordan. No way...and I think the SNL writers know that. THAT is why it's funny. PC-ness in this nation has run amok. Long live humor, satire, and freedom of speech!

December 7, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  133. Gary Davis, Lawrenceville, GA

No Jack, SNL didn't go too far.

Anyone who rises to the level of recognition & adoration as a role model, yes I said it role model, and acts as abhorrently, with toal disregard for his family and fans, deserves what they get.

The only person who we should worry about in this whole fiasco, would be his wife.

If I were her and Tiger said" I will pay you to stay", I would say " OK give me all of it"

Please, the guy obviously has no morale compass.

December 7, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  134. R. Mayfield, Lincoln, NE

I don't know about the angle domestic violence angle, but in light of every thing that happened last week, I do know that the way it was done made that skit was one of the funniest in a long time on SNL. It had me laughing out loud through out the whole thing. (Show the whole skit.)

December 7, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  135. Anne Cook

SNL did not go too far. There are obvious differences between a man physically attacking a woman who is unable to protect herself and a woman in a rage over her husband's infidelity. He was at no significant risk of bodily harm-at least not until his own driving became an issue. I'm glad Elin has the self-respect to come out fighting rather than being the dutiful celebrity wife who "stands by her man" and acts like a doormat. Tiger deserves all of the negative press he is getting. And while team sports stars in football, basketball, and baseball may recover from similar antics, this is golf we are talking about. His game relies on trust and honor and honesty. Somehow the Masters doesn't seem a fit for this guy anymore.

December 7, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  136. K.Sales

I was upset because they needed a better Wolf B.
    I don't feel sorry for Tiger.
    As for Rihanna being upset, I wonder if she saw abit of herself in the portrayal of Tiger's wife. She did her share of beating on CB too.
    I do not condone abuse of any type. Men are thrown into jail yet the women are hailed within "their rights"
    The world spins sicker & sicker.

December 7, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  137. mithu, cromwell, CT

People with money think they can get away with anything. SNL served Tiger right. It is pay up time!

December 7, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  138. balinda

no SNL did not go far enough , Tiger went to far and now he gets to suffer the embarssment of his actions. Thats the price for him.

December 7, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  139. POLYCARP ONGADI

Jack that is SNL,and I think majority of Americans other than being amused by the whole clip do not really believe that is what took place.One thing I hope folks don't forget is the fact that Tiger has already admitted to transgression apologized and asked the public to let him and his family deal with the whole thing behind closed doors.I just hope that the media respect his wish. And tranfer the attention to much more important issues like talking health reform and getting the unemployed back to work.Thanks

December 7, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  140. jerry light

Why blame SNL for their skit.There would have been no skit if Woods had not cheated on his wife. 9 other wimen at last count and growing.. How he can still have a 65% popularity rating is beyond me.

December 7, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  141. Rita Stone, NYC

No, it did not go too far, because a) the skit didn't show Tiger's wife actually beating him, it merely insinuated that by showing him with more injuries with each press conference and b) we all know in real life that women who discover their men cheating sometimes do get angry enough to hit them. That was the point of the sketch. It was not glamorizing domestic violence. And this has been portrayed in comedy dating back all the way to the silent film era. I'm pretty sure Rihanna got the joke as well. She's not some fragile wallflower, she's a lot stronger than people give her credit for. Is she never going to watch a sitcom or a movie? Because you will find many instances of women hitting men in entertainment, don't single out SNL. What about movies made in the Golden Age of Hollywood? Back then, men slapped women as well! Should Rihanna never watch those?

December 7, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  142. Tommy Martin

December 7, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  143. Bon

Jack
    If president Clinton jokes were not off limits after the Monica Lewinsky scandal then Tiger Woods scandal is just another. Tiger should just hope that something happens soon that can move the discussion away from him. But for someone as big as him, this joke will never completely go away. I'll just live with it if I were him.

December 7, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  144. Carol

From a woman's perspective, definitely no. Jokes abound about "golf widows" seeking revenge through golf club violence. Men, too, are historically the majority of abusers in relationships. A woman getting revenge for her husbands' infidelity utilizing one of his golf clubs is not only good fodder for laughs, but hits a home run with the supposed "weaker' sex. Even the words of the man who introduced Elin and Tiger suggest that she should have used a driver instead of a three iron, implying more force (in reality the three iron is actually more deadly). If the tables were turned, that is, a joke about a man beating a woman with a golf club, there would be no humor there because the physically stronger sex should not commit bodily violence upon the smaller, more defenseless woman.

December 7, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  145. JEANNETT

H e should expect SNL to have a field day

December 7, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  146. Tony,Miami Beach, Florida

Domestic Abuse is not a laughing matter. Add to that SNL had Rihanna on the show; who herself was a victim of domestic abuse.

The skit was distasteful and disrespectful to Tiger Woods and Rihanna .

What is wrong with people in this country? We have lost our morality and civility.

December 7, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  147. Roy Jones

Jack, the problem is we have accepted these gender double standards for far too long. Here's another one for you: Why does the media always portray wives as the smarter, more loving, even tempered part of a couple? Imagine the howl if there was a show that portrayed the wife a blubbering sex crazed idiot, chugging beer and sitting around watching sports all day? Equality? Yeah, right!

December 7, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  148. JT Bloodworth, Las Cruces New Mexico

The SNL skit is not out of line, they have always had skits that are simi-controversial, and do no wrong with them. The skit is merely intended to laugh at how tiger woods tried to close the door on the media and the investigation, because he wanted the "privacy" for himself and his twelve mistresses not to reach the public.

December 7, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  149. Barry Cutler

Mel Brooks satirized The Holcaust. Lenny Bruce did the same with the JFK assassination. Voltaire satirized great human tragedies and Aristophanes satirized war. Satire and humor, at their best, can be healing and enlightening. SNL may not always be satire and humor at their best but still...it's comedy, folks, not approval.

Palm Desert, CA

December 7, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  150. Michael

This is a perfect example of just how limp witted the media really is. SNL wasn't making fun of Tiger at all. They were pointing out how pathetic and "off focus" the media coverage on the entire unimportant event is. Don't you think we've all got more important stuff to be concerned with.

December 7, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  151. chris

jack.......give me a brake, SNL, has been doing this since 1975,check out some older shows. great segments keep it up.

December 7, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  152. Edwin Pagan

NO. SNL has a long tradition of poking fun at the expense of celebrity faux pax and other extraordinary current events. Their brand of parody usually is directly line with what the general public is already saying at the water color and serves as a tongue-in-cheek time capsule of the popular American condition.

If Tiger or his fans are offended, too bad, it can't always be good publicity, and besides, Tiger's actions created the conditions for the joke in the first place. Doctor heal they self...

December 7, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  153. Terence Michael

While I'll stop short of painting SNL as a modern day Jonathan Swift of "Modest Proposal" fame, I do think their satire, while biting, is effective in making a point. The fact is that this was a case of domestic violence. While the LAW has deemed this case closed, we the people, and the good folks at SNL know otherwise. This is just one more example of the double standard that exists in today's sociopolitcal environment. If the roles were reversed, people would be crying out "domestic violence!" from the roof tops. We see the exact same thing with beautiful blond teachers who engage in sex with students. Trust us, Jack, if Tiger Woods wife wasn't attractive, she'd be under investigation for domestic violence. SNL nailed it. Society's lack of consistency in dealing with these issues is a joke!
    Welcome to America where you can attack your spouse with a golf club, but it's not OK for the public to call it domestic violence.
    Give us a break.

P.S. That impersonation of Wolf Blitzer by Jason Sedakis was spot on!

December 7, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  154. Wayne from Leitchfield

Did SNL ever use the term "domestic violence" or is that just a conclusion that you have drawn based on its depiction of Tiger having been attacked and injured by his wife? It's kind of hard to think of a married man (especially a physical speciman like Tiger Woods) who has been linked to at least nine women as being a "victim" of domestic violence when his wife goes after him for it.

December 7, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  155. Gary

Jack – SNL went far enough to be funny for the first time in many years. OK, domestic violence is not the least bit funny, but the skit was great for anyone with a sense of humor. The subjects are endless that will inflame some person or group – drunk driving, drug abuse, prostitution, etc. – but these are topics we deal with everyday. When Dan Akroyd whipped up a smoothie in the Bass-o-matic, I'm sure PETA was not amused, but I fell on the floor laughing. I may watch SNL more often if they promise to keep it up – Gary in Miami

December 7, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  156. Kelvin

Jack, I think SNL and the news itself have gone too far. It is not funny for anyone to be abused. It is also true that enough is enough on the Tiger story. I thought we had learned our lesson with the ballon boy fiasco. As soon as one woman comes out with a story what is to stop other women from coming out to get publicity? This is like my instructor would say.....that's interesting but irrelevant. I could care less if Tiger slept with 20 women. Who it should matter to is Elin, his wife. If one of these women were under age I would care and would want him prosecuted .....but grown women who knows he is married and still sleeps with him?! Why are you coming out now? They did not do this when the Tiger train was visiting their station!!!! Why give them a media platform now? Oh yeah, I will still be watching him when he gets on the green.

December 7, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  157. Venkata OpenMind

?Do you think so Jack ? If so how does that matter? Everyday more and more of his Mistresses speaking out. The numbers are just amazing. First we now know one truth of his life.And Tiger owes to public the other truth on his injuries. And as long as he keeps that secret the comedians have a right to do what they want.

December 7, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  158. hugh

nope-fame is a double edge sword--it can bring adulation and riches but sometimes embarrassment –Tiger plays golf but does he deserve the almost god like image he has capitalized on

December 7, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  159. Lyndsey

Did SNL go too far? The answer to this question is almost always yes, isn't it? They're a comedy troupe! That said, I sometimes think the value of SNL lays in the things they trick us into laughing at which really may not be very funny, but need to be addressed somehow. SNL starts the conversation, and when we realize how inappropriate the laughter is we start talking. Right now we're having a nationwide conversation about domestic violence propogated by women against men – an issue that hasn't really been widely discussed in relationship to the Tiger Woods story. If the story had been reversed and Tiger's wife were found passed out in a smashed car with her golf-club-weilding husband standing over her, domestic violence would have been a forgone conclusion. While Tiger doesn't get a pass for being a cheating celebrity, it's legitimate to question whether we should ignore the traumatic signs of domestic violence that were implied on the scene.
    And now that we're on the topic, if I were a victim of domestic violence, I might appreciate SNL for bringing to light the issue. Up to now the focus has been on his cheating – which is bad – but I'm more concerned about whether or not domestic violence occurred.

December 7, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  160. Tim in DC

Oh please. It was funny. That was the intent and that was the outcome. It's far better to laugh about all of this than to pretend to be appalled. The only thing SNL implied is that Tiger is in a world of trouble with the wife.

December 7, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  161. Jerry Fox

For a network that vilified the President of the United States for years, this is pretty soft stuff. Tiger Woods earned all of this by his irresponsible behavior.

December 7, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  162. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Jack,

I wondered what are the stats for men victim of domestic violence. Probably not that many...but the very few now would never dare to come forward since it is seen as a laughing matter.

Take care!

December 7, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  163. spinbizkitt in anaheim california

From the very begining it has been implied that Elin went after Tiger with a golf club to take revenge for his torrid affairs with at least 9 women, but are we really sure that is the story behind the fact the rear window. No one knows the facts behind any of this and until we do, SNL or any political hack writer should stay away from this until the facts are out there. It was wrong to make light of violence man against woman or vice versa, but when the actors of get paid by Lorne Michaels,they could care less about what we think and more with their wallet

December 7, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  164. Susan

Domestic abuse is no laughing matter.
    SNL could not ignore Tiger.
    I stopped watching after the "Staten Island Gossip Girls"
    sketch where a man and woman hit each other.
    Glad others are mindful of Rihana's being on the show as
    well as the other "Rihanas" watching.

December 7, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  165. Jim

Jack, everybody needs to lighten up. Comedy is sometimes edgy. Bush, Palin, Clinton, Biden and any others have been spoofed and everyone knows that it's a joke and not real factual information. I got a good laugh seeing it. SNL is good comedy.

December 7, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  166. David

The first rule of comedy is to poke fun at the powerful. Tiger Woods is arguably the most powerful figure in sports today. He has carefully managed his image, and this incident has given comics an opening they can drive a truck through. It wouldn't be funny if a sketch depicted Chris Brown beating up Rhianna, because it is symptomatic of the widespread problem of domestic violence against women. But a sketch depicting a highly conditioned athlete taking a beating from his wife is funny, because it goes against our expectations and preconceived notions about domestic violence. The sketch was fair game.

David
    New York

December 7, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  167. Khan Alim

No, Jack. In case of Rihana, media went with full swing against her boyfriend, where in case of Woods, Media did opposite. Matter of fact, domestic violence is not one sided, it can happen it two directions.

December 7, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  168. Tommy , Ruidoso, NM

No, Of course they didn't....... It is about time that we as country stop being so heavy on females whomever they are , when it comes to protecting their family from the disgrace of the head of the household.......

December 7, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  169. Lance

SNL did exactly what sketch comedy / satirical programs are supposed to do– lampoon popular culture, societal norms, and socio-political "standards." Would would SNL have done the same skit if the gender roles were reversed? That is, would it have done a Rhianna / Chris Brown parody? Of course not. And in ironic fashion, by having such a double standard, isn't SNL highlighting the greater double standard that applies to our society in general? We live in a world where female teachers who victimize male students are given tabloid / celebrity status, but male teachers who do the same are villainized. The examples are too numerous to include in this post, and the body of instances illustrates hypocrisy on both sides. The job of programs such as SNL is not to disregard / ignore our double standards– it is to hold them to the light. Someday, maybe we'll learn to hold that high-powered magnifying glass to ourselves as unflinchingly as we hold it to our celebrities.

December 7, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  170. Jackie Sparks

If you don't want any bad publicity try and be a good boy!

Many young people as well as adults looked up to Woods and I am sure this will hurt there view of him.

Why should the Press back off from Tiger Woods and not others?

Nothing is too hard on Woods in my opinion. I hate this for his wife and children.

December 7, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  171. Missy

No. I don't think so. The publicity of this scandal is probably more over the top than the snl skit.

December 7, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  172. RusRus Albuquerque New Mexico

GO SNL, Woods painted a bull's eye on himself when he decided to cheat on his beautyful wife while earning a billion dollars from the public. He allready got away with drunk driving, something most of us would go to jail for, Tiger deserves a whole lot more abuse then he will endure dont worry.

Society made a hero from a guy who hits a small white ball with a stick, while pretending to be perfect, and jealously guarding his image. Can you say HYPOCRITE?

December 7, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  173. Dave Mitchell

Aww, c'mon. You guys are only asking this question because SNL also made fun of The Situation Room in the same sketch. They didn't go to far with either the Tiger or the Wolf, and they didn't change my opinion of either...I still respect Wolf. (By the way, Tigers and Wolves are pretty tough. I think they can take it.)

December 7, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  174. Ms. Drake

Yes they went to far. Who cares about how many woman Tiger has been with. He's no different from the others. George Bush left this country in bad shape, people are losing there homes, some doesn't know where the next meals coming from. Oh don't for get there are no job in the USA. People get some business of your owe

December 7, 2009 at 6:41 pm |
  175. Stan, Canada

Tiger's been completely insulated from the "tomato tossing" comedy entourage for years... This is what it means to be a celebrity, unfortunate as it is. People love to rubber neck at highway multi-car accidents and love to tear down celebs. If his skin isn't thick enough, then he's not going to last.

December 7, 2009 at 6:41 pm |
  176. john, saskatchewan

Go too far? What's too far these days, Jack? We live in a low-life society with no respect for life. When they get through kicking the hell out of Tiger...they'll move on to another target.

By the by, tell Wolf that the name of the pilot credited with shooting down the Red Baron was "Arthur Roy Brown", code name "Snoopy". He was a Canadian.

December 7, 2009 at 6:47 pm |
  177. Richard Calderon

No, SNL didn't go too far. Comedians always chew away passed the edges of what is considered appropriate common discussions. Comedy however is never a common discussion. Comedy is commonly uncommon discussion about what many others are thinking often without sharing their thoughts with others!!!! That's most commonly what makes people laugh. It isn't common sense to suggest that SNL or other comedians present only tasteful comedy is ridiculous!!!

December 7, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  178. three-putt

SNL just did what they do. It just seems harsh because we all thought he would be the one athlete that was on the straight and narrow

December 7, 2009 at 6:56 pm |
  179. Bob

I hate to be honest here, but the main reason to become rich and famous is so that you can do all those things that everyone is condemning Tiger of doing. After all, aren’t the privileges of being wildly wealthy measure by the trophies you posses?

December 7, 2009 at 6:57 pm |
  180. Gene E. Burgess

Jack,
    I hope I'm not too controversial but as a Black American and retired military man(Viet Nam vet) soon to be 70 yrs old, I attribute all of this Tiger hullabaloo to what I call the :Great White Hope" syndrome.
    No one has been able to sussessfully bring Woods down since he received death threats upon announcing that he wanted to break all of Nicklaus' records.
    Woods made a serious mistake when he so boldly entered the White Man's world and took it by storm. He won't lose ANY fans in the "Black Community".
    Remember Jack Johnson who started the "Great White Hope" syndrome? Wasn't he married to a white woman and wasn't he just pardoned last year?

December 7, 2009 at 6:58 pm |
  181. roger long

I LOVE JACK!(that should get this on the air).

SNL did not go too far. People have said that since it was first aired. If you are in the public eye you are fair game.

If you don't like Tiger write to his sponsers and tell them you will not buy their products.

Our country is run by the motto "One dollar, one vote."

December 7, 2009 at 7:00 pm |
  182. Evan Sgarbi

This whole mess can be traced back to the fact that he had an affair. If he had only turned away from his temptation and focussed on his family...a beautiful family, his life wouldnt be up for public display. Many of us travel the world just as much as he does and are strong enough to turn away from countless offers. Tiger's strength, obviously, remains only on the course.

December 7, 2009 at 7:00 pm |