October 27th, 2009

Concerned about possible cell phone health risks?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

An international study is expected to show that people who use cell phones frequently face a higher risk of getting brain tumors. The British Newspaper "The Daily Telegraph" reports on a decade-long study of nearly 13,000 people in 13 countries - overseen by the World Health Organization.

According to the paper, the report says a definitive link couldn't be proven; but several of the studies conducted seemed to show an increase in various kinds of brain cancers.

The report is due out before the end of the year, but lawmakers here in the U.S. have already been focusing in on the issue. Democratic Senator Tom Harkin has said he's concerned no one has been able to prove cell phones don't cause cancer, and promises his committee will take a look at that question. Harkin says it reminds him of the nation's experience with cigarettes - and how it took decades to prove that they caused lung cancer.

If the lobby for the wireless phone companies is as powerful as the tobacco lobby, it could be a long debate. And cellphones are much more widely used than cigarettes.

It's estimated 275 million people use them in the U.S... and four billion worldwide.

But so far, research hasn't established a definitive link between cell phones and different kinds of cancer, including brain tumors. But the Telegraph says this study contains evidence there is a link.

Here’s my question to you: Are you concerned about possible health risks associated with cell phone use?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Scott from Santee, California writes:
I am very concerned, especially when I consider my young 12 and 14-year-old nieces are using cell phones all the time.

Chandler from Rockaway, New Jersey writes:
There will be nearly 1.5 million cases of cancer diagnosed in the U.S. this year; only 22,000 will be brain cancer (American Cancer Society). Even if cell phones cause a small increase in one kind of cancer, it is a misdirection of resources to focus on a tiny fraction of the problem.

D. writes:
My father was a “Crackberry” addict. He was diagnosed with the worst type of brain tumor possible last July and died in December. The tumor was located just behind his ear where he used the phone day and night. Having worked for major mobile manufacturers for last 14 years, one thing I was very aware of was that the lawyers were very, very nervous about where people stored their phones and how close to the body it was.

Karen writes:
Jack, Listening to the experts will cause stress which will lead to high blood pressure and a possible stroke or heart attack. Give me a break. Some of us are old enough to remember when we rode bikes without helmets, rode in cars without car seats or seat belts and yet we are now baby boomers and really starting to enjoy life. I will use my cell phone where and when I want, but I do now ride my bike with a helmet.

James from Georgia writes:
I want to say I want to see a more significant link in research before I become overly concerned. However, I also don't want to be the statistic that provides further evidence.

Charlie from Bremerton, Washington writes:
What doesn't give you cancer these days, Jack?

Donald from Tampa writes:
None at all, Jack. (Of course, that may be because I am 84 years old.)

Filed under: Health
  1. Paul, Parry Sound, Ontario

Yes, I'm especially concerned about being run over by a car driver distracted by using a cell phone. Fortunately that practice is not illegal in Ontario.

October 27, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  2. Carla Martin-Wood, AL

Yes, Jack - I do. I am greatly concerned about the risk to my health posed by idiots who use cell phones to talk, text, and surf the internet while driving.

October 27, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  3. Rachel

No – considering I use my cell phone only for necessary calls and not to chat. If we worried about the findings from every study, we would all die from the stress of worrying.

October 27, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  4. Paul, Parry Sound, Ontario

Yes, I'm especially concered about being run over by a driver distracted by using a cell phone. Fortunately, that practice is now illegal in Ontario. (Corrected typo in last message)

October 27, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  5. Ann from Hampton, New Jersey

They really need to do more studies on this subject, but it has made me use my cell phone only when it is absolutely necessary.

October 27, 2009 at 2:09 pm |
  6. JD In NH

Not worried at all. I'm from the dark ages and I've never owned one or wanted to own one.

October 27, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  7. Jane (Minnesota)

No I don't worry about it at all, Jack, I don't have an addiction to my cell phone and only use it as needed as a phone – which equates to less than 15 minutes on an average month.

October 27, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  8. Ralph

Yes, my health is at risk every time I see someone talking on their cell phone while they're driving by me.
    Ralph- Corpus Christi, Texas

October 27, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  9. David In Alabama

Yeah, I`m concerned with having a device stuck to my ear right next to my brain which emits radiation. I don`t even like to stand too close to the microwave.

October 27, 2009 at 2:31 pm |
  10. Carlos Round Rock, Texas

The concern I have is if health risks are associated with cell phone use is how long the manufacturers and the government knew about possible links and risks. Is this just another case of big bussiness getting away with selling bad products and the government turning a blind eye to the facts of possible problems in lieu of profits.

October 27, 2009 at 2:31 pm |
  11. Jason, Koloa Kauai

Of course, everything is bad for you. It's all about moderation no matter what you are doing.

October 27, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  12. Raoul New Orleans, La

I am much more concerned with how many Americans know what a public option is, what the difference is between the word option and requirement, and how can Americans ever trust their press again.

October 27, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  13. Dave, Brooklyn, NY

No, I am not one of those insecure people who must continuously be reassured that he still has friends interested in his every move 24/7 by constantly blabbering into a communication device which is surgically implanted onto the side of his face. I carry a phone for the sole purpose of dialing 911 and nothing else. It is never on, so it can’t hurt me either by nuking my brain or by making me think I am safely driving a phone booth instead of a 2 ton battering ram down the highway.

October 27, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  14. Tom, Avon, Me, The Heart of Democracy

There is no such thing as a safe level of radiation. Anything people can do to reduce their level of exposure is a plus. We need more mammograms and fewer cell phones.

October 27, 2009 at 2:37 pm |
  15. Denny from Tacoma, WA

I am concerned because the cell phone is proving to be a distraction to drivers particularly with text messaging. Another concern is the fact that the cell phone may be responsible for the decrease in our bee population which would eventually create huge food shortages. It is theorized that the cell phone transmissions affect the bees' homing mechanisms.

October 27, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  16. Charlie in Belen, New Mexico

MY biggest cell phone health risk is being in an accident caused by a driver being distracted by THEIR cell phone conversation.

October 27, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  17. Fred R Deleon

If the risk is for real and is and appropriate authorities say so, yes!!!!! I would be interested to know the risks.

October 27, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  18. Tom from Philly

I am concerned death doesnt come quickly enough to those that are on their cell phones 24/7. They drive like idiots, and surely go through the rest of their lives wreaking havoc on all they come near. More radiation please.

October 27, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  19. mark pribble Anna Illinois

YES: The only major health risk i can see is letting people talk & text while driving. People die from this every day, but the phone companies lobbyist give millions to or so called law makers and the killing continues, how many need to die before this stops.

October 27, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  20. John from Alabama

Jack: I only use the cell phone while traveling on long trips for emergencies, if needed. I use the land line at home for most of my needs. I will use the cell less than 1 time a month. Therefore I am not concerned by any health risk.

October 27, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  21. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

I more concerned about the risks of driving in traffic with these idiots using their crutch to life. It is so bad at times that we don't even want to go anywhere and it's getting worse by the day. Maybe these people that are so addicted to them will soon become ill and not be able to drive but then they'll file a suit against the cell phone company for not warning them.

October 27, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  22. David of Alexandria

Yes I worry about other peoples health - when I see someone texting while driving, walking across the street against the light with their brain plugged into the cell phone and not the traffiic, and occasionally when their obnoxious ring tones or stadium-volume conversations occur in a restaurant where I'm trying to have a quiet meal. Maybe this is all just natural selection, techno-style

October 27, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  23. Jack Carlson

Common sense told us years ago to be careful – if you followed what happened to many police and their phones, etc. one would be careful. What happened was "cancer".
    We have used Cell Phones only for emergencies, and we own a business.
    Jack C
    WA

October 27, 2009 at 2:55 pm |
  24. Tina Tx

If you are stupid enough to have it stuck to your ear for hours then you get what you deserve. What is so dang important that you can't wait till you hook up with friends? I hardly use mine but have one incase I get on the road and break down.

October 27, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  25. Clay

Jacksonville

The exponential rise in autism and the proliferation of cell phone towers and usage are exactly parallel. So what are we doing? Creating an entire generation of severely handicapped and brain damaged children for the sake of profit and convenience. History will not be kind to this era and American corporations are to blame.

October 27, 2009 at 2:59 pm |
  26. Terry in Hanover

Nope. I hate my cell phone and keep it turned off. If it were legal in my town, I'd use my cell phone and my husband's Blackberry for target practice. The idea of killing both devices gives me great pleasure and that lowers my blood pressure. Of course, that would probably kill my husband who's addicted to them both. Fortunately, he's well insured. 🙂

October 27, 2009 at 2:59 pm |
  27. JENNA

Are you concerned about possible health risks associated with cell phone use?

Well Jack, our air is crap, our water is tainted, our food is compromised, our power lines buz above us, and now our cell phone pose a possible risk?

Jack the only thing we all share is that we are all going to die..

Jenna
    Roseville CA

October 27, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  28. Sue - Los Angeles, CA

No, considering breathing the fresh Los Angeles air is more deadly than talking on my cell phone.

October 27, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  29. Azure

Am I concerned? Somewhat. Am I going to stop using my mobile? Considering I'm typing this from it...use it for work, internet browsing, a camera, alarm, address book, email, and like 20 other things...no, probably not. If issues do arise I'll complain alot, ironically though. Tucson, AZ

October 27, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  30. cy

Hah! You see? All you people who made fun of Glenn Beck's audience for wearing the tinfoil helmets??? Looks like they were on to something.cy arlington,va

October 27, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  31. cy

I don't own a cellphone. I hate seeing idiots in traffic yakking on cell phones instead of paying attention to the road. I hate the way more idiots treat the whole outside world like their own private phone booth. So, Nyah Nyahnny Nyah Nyah!!!! I hope their fool heads explode! cy arlington, va

October 27, 2009 at 3:12 pm |
  32. Greg, Ontario

No I'm not concerned. It's a question of moderation Jack. I use mine very sparingly because I also read it can be very bad for your hearing as well. I think when you spend hours upon hours exposing your body to things not normally found in nature you are going to cause some damage. A little restraint and some common sense could go a long way where stuff like this is concerned.

October 27, 2009 at 3:12 pm |
  33. Alex in Seattle

Not at all, Jack. I'm over 50 and came late to the high tech party. It is the kids with the phones now that worry me. By the time the danger manifests another two generations of kids will have been exposed. I think Teddy Kennedy's brain cancer should be a warning. He was rich enough to have had a mobile phone since the days of the much higher powered "brick" phones.

October 27, 2009 at 3:13 pm |
  34. Mark, Worcester MA

Not really. This should be studied, but it'll be a lot easier to take the radiation out of cell phones than to take the smoke out of a cigarette.

October 27, 2009 at 3:17 pm |
  35. Jeff in Houston, Texas

I have to wonder if it is true. So many people are addicted to these phones like some kind of crack fiend, and all so they can have such profound conversations like "whatcha doin?". And lets not forget the brain damage necessary that allows people to think it is safe to have these intellectual debates while driving.

Turn the silly things off. You are not THAT important, nor are you THAT interesting. there is very little you have to say that cannot wait until an appropriate time to actually communicate with another human face to face. Or has the cell phone induced brain tumor gotten to your memory?

October 27, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  36. Michael Howley

Jack,

Here are some other facts to consider – everyone who is diagnosed with cancer is also found to have breathed air, drank water, and eaten food. If the studies can't find a definitive link, then there is nothing to worry about. Correlation is not causation – a fact that many people prefer to ignore.

Michael Howley
    Northville, MI

October 27, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  37. Melissa

Yeah, and too much milk has been shown to cause tumors, eating eggs has been shown to cause obesity, and sitting in front of the tv has been shown to cause problems with eyesight. Sick to death of hearing how "everything makes us sick". Cell phones included.

October 27, 2009 at 3:27 pm |
  38. Jason Casey

Tucson, AZ
    No I'm not concerned.
    Cell phones have evolved dramatically in a short amount of time. With billions using them, we will make cell phones safer as we go.

October 27, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  39. A. Smith

Jack, we need a non-Republican panel to seriously look into micro-wave exposure to define what specifically is a tolerable amount of non-ionizing radiation exposure.

Why? With the advent of numerous wireless devices, the average American citizen is literally swimming in a stream of microwaves, everyday, at work, the public library, the coffee shop and at home 24/7.

If any of these devices or exposure levels increases Alzheimer diseases, that might not be discovered or even evident for many years before suddenly there is a spike in that terrible deliberating disease. Hence the need for a non-Republican panel to seriously look into what specifically is a tolerable amount of non-ionizing radiation exposure.

Many entire American communities are now flooded with WiFi signals 24/7. Those living in those homes are literally dosed 24/7 with micro-wave non-ionizing radiation.

A. Smith
    Oregon

October 27, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  40. Jerry Alpharetta, GA

I will be concerned when a definitive causal link is found between cell phone use and cancer that is based on valid scientific evidence. The biggest threat from cell phones is their use while operating any type of vehicle. To use an heuristic analysis of the increase in various types of brain cancers, this may be caused by the increase in exposure to all types of electronic devices that surround us at work, at home and in the car not just the cell phone. So if you're exposed to electronic devices your probability of brain cancer or fried brain increases proportionately.

October 27, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  41. Chandler T., Rockaway, NJ

Jack,

The real problem is that we don't understand what causes cancer, so it's easy to point to some external cause and whip up a media frenzy. The reality is, no one understands whether radiation from radio waves 'causes' cancer. We are subjected to radio waves from innumerable sources, including broadcast radio and TV. The more important point is that there will be nearly 1.5 million cases of cancer diagnosed in the US this year; only 22,000 will be brain cancer (American Cancer Society). Even if cell phones cause a small increase in one kind of cancer, it is a misdirection of resources to focus on a tiny fraction of the problem.

October 27, 2009 at 3:40 pm |
  42. Che

Cell phones cause brain cancer ... now what do we do ???

October 27, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  43. Mike in St. Paul

You say the government's working on it, Jack? No, I'm not worried.

October 27, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  44. Lance, Ridgecrest, Ca

Jack, nope. My cell is still "just a phone" that is used occasionally to make a call and almost never rings unless there is some emergency, or other urgent need. I don't use it while driving, walking, and turn it off at night. I can't think of anyone that needs to know when I step into the bathroom/restroom to do my business as others apparently do, and I am sure the world will continue to revolve without a minute by minute commentary from me. Funny too, most of my friends are of the same opinion, DUH!!!

October 27, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  45. Sylvia in California

Jack,

I am not concerned about the health risk to me but to our young children who have cell phones... PARENTS, LISTEN UP.......

October 27, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  46. Ronald Holst

Jack Am I concerned aw Yes I have been rear ended three Times in the last 10 years because of people talking on them .
    That Is what you ment Right ?
    Ron Holst
    San Antonio, TX

October 27, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  47. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I'm not worried Jack. I'll have to cancel my cell phone contract to pay fthe increased taxes for Obamacare.

October 27, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  48. Adam Simi Valley, CA

I don't put much stock into anything the WHO says. These guys aren't happy unless they are trying to whip everyone up into a frenzy over some faux crisis. These are the same overreaching, overly zealous, bozos who created the swine flu panic that shut down whole sections of the economy. It's just the flu for crying out loud. The cell phone thing needs to be studied by more independant parties. Let's not go crazy just yet.

October 27, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  49. David in San Diego

Not for me or my wife. We are on the cell phone 5-6 times per week, mostly for long-distance calls to our family on the weekends and a few short calls to each other with scheduling info.

October 27, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  50. Linda in Arizona

No. I never use mine. It's only there in case I break down on the road, or my land line goes out in a storm. I don't think I'm at risk.

October 27, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  51. Ken in Pinon Hills, California

I'm concerned about my physical and mental health. I fear when driving someone frying their brain on the cell phone will terminate my life. I go nuts when in a restaurant or any public place some nut is screaming into that hand held piece of hell.

October 27, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  52. Gigi Oregon

Yes I'm concerned... my husband used them in the Army artillery and was warned about the phones they used and that was over fifty years ago. Many things are kept under wraps by our government because of the almighty dollar what's a few brain tumors for the little guy. Unless you get one... My husband has suffered with poor hearing for years but he won't pay for the hearing aids because of the cost. All military should have the medical they need even if it evolved training or their responsibility while in service...even if it happens twenty years latter. Using these young service men/women and then dropping them is despicable..

October 27, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  53. DON IN WESTPORT, MASS.

Not yet. Lets just wait and see like we did with cigarretts, lead, DDT, asbestos, and my wifes cooking.

October 27, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  54. Lori - PA

As I don't have a cell phone, no.

October 27, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  55. crazytone

no im not because in the next five years they will have some contraption that will eliminate the regular ones we have today

October 27, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  56. Paul from Canada

No, Jack because I don't own one. Never have. I don't consider something as essential simply because everyone else has one. My corded phone serves me fine, is economical and has no health concerns. Not sure if there is any truth to the cell phone risks, but it wouldn't be the first time trendiness, technology and profiteering turned a blind eye to any possible concerns about health.

October 27, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  57. Dale

Absolutely I'm concerned. The very fact that the cellphone industry's lobbyists (and the politicians they cater to) are the loudest voices poo-poohing the suspected risks of cell phones - makes me suspicious and worried. I'm very afraid that we're all going to wake up too late to the price we're paying for the cellphone's convenience.

October 27, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  58. Luwanna Guysville Ohio

Jack,

Yes, and more studies should be funded that look at those at low risk of brain cancer and low exposure to other known causes of brain cancer that use cell phones and end up with brain cancer. If this is like the cigarette companies cover up (and actually increasing the addictive effects) then the people of the world have a right to know.

Luwanna Guysville Ohio

October 27, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  59. Tom

I'm not sure but like the phones with the antenna on the bottom of the phone. Cellphones are a part of our life now so someone better find out the truth before they kill all of us.

October 27, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  60. Paulette from Dallas,PA

Yes. Not so much for myself because I use mine only rarely. My land line at home has unlimited minutes so I mostly use that. I am concerned for my son and his generation who only use cell phones. I'd heed the new warnings and use the cell only for "need to" purposes.

October 27, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  61. Agnes from Scottsdale, AZ

Jack: We might want to go back to the days when hard wired phones became common – I'll bet there were similiar questions even then. Cell phones are here to stay. With all the profit generated by the cell industry, if there are issues with safety, they have the fiscal resources to fix them. By enforcing hands free in cars, that would eliminate some of the "device to head" issues. Maybe we need to look to NASA and their communication with the astronauts while they're in space. They must be wearing head sets!! NASA is well funded – maybe they have the "answer."

October 27, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  62. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Definetely! We need to Increase research to find solution from the production of cellphone or just use texting...or do like me do not use it! People can wait for you to be able to call them back!

October 27, 2009 at 4:40 pm |
  63. Joshua Reese

Jack, it's no secret that business trumps science in the halls of Congress. Only American governance would allow for lobbyists to squash the vital reports coming out of several European countries. It's a shame we have to look to France and Sweden and England, when many of the world's leading scientists are right here in the U.S. and perfectly willing to undertake 'meaningful' study. Even England pulls their punches though, as their Department of Health finds no "clear evidence" of linking cancer with prolonged cell phone use, but officially recommends keeping children away from them (except emergencies). This takes "Do As I Say, Not As I Do" to an unnacceptable level of society-wide self-denial. Cell phones are amazing, too good to be true even, and you know what they say when that's the case!

October 27, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  64. Doug - Dallas, TX

The biggest cell phone health risk that I face is due to the people who are talking on them while they're driving, who have no clue what's going on around them and putting everyone else in danger. Bottom line is using a cell phone is my choice and if it causes a health risk I can choose to use it or not. I chose to quit smoking but there are millions who still smoke despite of the proof of the health risks. It's an individual choice and they have to live with the consequences.

October 27, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  65. Pam holt

Foley,al. Like everything else, after lots of American citizens have cancer from using them, then the truth will finally be allowed to come out.

October 27, 2009 at 4:57 pm |
  66. Antonio From Washington D.C.

Jack, less cell phone use helps out ALOT! It makes the world go 'round and 'round. Plus I like your show Jack.!!!

October 27, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  67. Ed from California

No, I'm more concerned with second hand phone use.

October 27, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  68. Josh, Richmond, VA

I am not worried about the risks. The study refers to those who use cellular phones frequently. Few people realize about what a phone call should be and drag small two-second facts into hour long stories. Phones were created to pass important information, not to pass rumors and senseless gossip. When people go out of their houses now, they are coated from head to toe in technological devices. Maybe if people did not face society from behind a screen, but rather face-to-face, they wouldn't be weakened and hurt by what they create.

October 27, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  69. Karl from SF, CA

No, because I don't talk on my cell phone any more then I did my landline. Was there ever a study to determine if telephone operators of old had any more health issues then those people that only talked occasionally? I have yet to see why one would want to be on their cell phone continuously. Are they that starved for attention? I had "phone" centered jobs for most of my working years and now can't stand to hear one ring.

October 27, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  70. Michael, Alexandria, Virginia

I am not concerned, since I do not use it all the time.

October 27, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  71. John, Fort Collins, CO

I'm not so sure about a link between cell phones and brain cancer, but there is definitely a link between brain disfunction and cell phone useage while driving. In this case, the health risk is to the other drivers who are acutally paying attention to what they are doing behind the wheel.

October 27, 2009 at 5:04 pm |
  72. Bruce - Delaware

Studies with are tightly done show definite brain damage on cell phone brains

October 27, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  73. Michael and Diane Phoenix AZ

Cell phones area a health hazard only in the sense that students use them in class and hence don't do much work.

October 27, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  74. Charlie in Bremerton Wa

What doesn't give you cancer these days, Jack?

October 27, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  75. Bruce - Delaware

I am very concerns. done with it!

October 27, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  76. Ken in NC

I’m more concerned about possible health risks associated with the use of real money and putting it in banks than cell phone use. Right now my Monopoly Money has almost as much value as a U. S. Dollar.

Besides, I don't smoke my cell phone.

October 27, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  77. Harry Moscatiello

Maybe those people who use cell phones are busier and live more stressful lives then those that don't and that is why there is a higher rate of cancer. Maybe a cell phone tax will help the health care reform budget.

October 27, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  78. Donald of Tampa Area

None at all Jack. (of course that may be because I am 84 years old.)

October 27, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  79. Jenna

I'm not concerned at all. I don't think that I have a choice though since it's my on-the-go phone and my home phone.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

October 27, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  80. Than Ball Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Is there an app for that?

October 27, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  81. Scott Tipton

I am very concerned, especially when I consider my young 12 and 14 year old nieces are using cell phones all the time.

Scott Tipton
    Santee, CA

October 27, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  82. Frank Haynes

There is a 'link' between cell phone use and cancer?

Each morning the cock crows. Then, each morning the Sun rises. Therefore the cock's crowing causes the Sun to rise.

October 27, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  83. Mrs. M in Ariz.

No. The report clearly says that no definitive link could be found.

Besides, I think the trend these days is to use cell phones primarily for texting, gaming, internet and emailing. Does anyone actually use their phones for talking anymore?

October 27, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  84. mjohnson

I have had concerns regarding cell phones link to cancer for a few years. As a general rule I try to use headphone set when possible – its better to be safer...

October 27, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  85. Jim in Kansas City

What about having my cell phone on my belt all day long? What's that doing to me?

October 27, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  86. Karen

Jack,

If you listen to the experts, there is nothing on this planet that will adversely effect us. I grew up when there was lead paint on my crib, no seat belts in the cars, and we even played outside all day long and I haven't come down with skin caner yet. Something will eventually do me in, but I am not about to spend my time worrying about what it might be.

Karen

October 27, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  87. susi learn

extremely concerned. i do not own a cell phone and never will.

i remember years ago reading a study from britain that warned us of the correlation between using cell phones and cancer and sterility in men.

america is way behind the times.

i cringe when i see young children using them 24/7.

people don't care. they'd rather have their conveniences than give them up for the sake of their safety and health.

susi in tucson

October 27, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  88. Ethan from Toronto

No, not really. It seems like anything nowadays can give you cancer, so am I worried, no, I am not. I'll be worried when I actually get cancer from a phone, but I don't talk on my cell phone as much as a do texting. The real risk here is people talking or texting on their cell phones while driving.

October 27, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  89. Adam

My iPhone is my one and only link to business contacts, distant friends and family members, and the web when I'm not in front of my computer.

Although the risks of a cell phone giving me cancer may be proven substantial, I see no other way to stay connected to the people and information necessary to my life.

Unlike quitting cigarettes, abandoning my mobile phone to preserve my health is not an option. Perhaps the mobile phone industry can develop some sort of headset that emits minimal radiation to combat this issue.

October 27, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  90. Will Evo

I am almost certain, that even if research proved a higher risk of cancer, that people would not stop using them. Cell phones have become embedded in our culture, I am even willing to say we are somewhat reliant on them.

October 27, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  91. Bob from New Brighton

I don't know about the brain. I do know that the number that are injured or killed because of cell phone use while driving sure should constitute a health risk. Doing something about that will save a lot of health issues.

October 27, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  92. Diane Chan

Regardless of what cancer cell phones may or may not cause. It wont stop me from using them. I found myself highly dependent on them.
    Besides, nowadays, everthing causes cancer.

October 27, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  93. Grant from Idaho

Jack: The proven health risks with cell phones is driving while talking on one and walking (into traffic) while talking on one. As for the electromagnetic field next to your brain while using one, try a wired hands free device and you should have no worries. How did we communicate before cell phones? We talk too much!

94. Stephen, Merrill, WI

I was concerned when the power output was 3 watt on the old phones. The new digital phones have a much lower power output. I assume that the study that is on-going is not sponsored by the cell phone manufacturers.

The issue is minutes of exposure to the power output of the cell phone. The longer it is used, the higher the risk of having problems – therefore, we should be concerned about our teenagers who live with a phone next to their ear all day.

95. Dodie ~ California

It really does not matter if Cell phones harm us or not. With out public option, we have no chance of obtaining good health insurance.

I feel Congress should have the same health care as the Average American. Maybe that will help them make a decent decision for once.

We can spend trillions of dollars on the Iraq now Afghanistan wars, we can spend hundreds of billions of Tax dollars bailing out fat corporate America, but we do not have enough money to help the average American for health care???? What is wrong with this picture?

96. A.M. Deist, Fort Walton Beach FL

Too much of anything is bad. Unfortunately, it will take years to know if there are ill effects of cell phone use, and then it will be too late for those who experience the ill effects.

97. Ken Metzger

It's as you said. It will take decades before anything is done. In the meantime, thousands, possibly millions of people will die of either brain cancer or accidents caused while people happily talk/text away. This little piece of technology has contributed nothing but rudeness to the american people.

98. Max in Woodbridge, Va

Not when the water I drink, the food I eat and the air I breathe are doing it...

99. Jack Christie

It seems that every other day, we find something new to be afraid of. It is unfortunate that so many people have become mindless hypochondriacs and have spent so much time avoiding the countless 'risks' that keep us fearful of the things we do and use in our everyday lives. I for one won't be putting down my cell phone any time soon.

100. Jason Cahill

Norfolk, Virginia.
    Cell phones cause cancer? In the past year, I have read that being fat, being skinny, being old, being outside, breathing, and many other things cause cancer. It all comes down to one simple point: We don't know what really causes cancer. This news, that cell phones cause brain cancer, will cause no change in my life. In fact, I'm typing this from my cell phone.

101. Guy

Very concerned if it can be verified. All of the technology used within cell phones is also used in hundreds to thousands of other devices we are around every day.

There is no need to throw away your cell phone because of how much you're already surrounded by the same technology. We need to verify if this risk is real and just what it is about the cell phone that causes it.

102. Hal Kennedy

As a scientist I am not the least concerned. The study shows correlation, or what you inappropriately call "a link," not causality. 100% of the people who contract brain cancer drank milk as children. Does milk cause cancer? Cell phones do not emit ionizing radiation and are safe. I don't work for the cell industry BTW – I just know the difference between correlation and cause and effect.

103. Joel M - Wisconsin

Jack

At worst another good reason not to answer a number I don't recongnize. At best maybe we can outlaw telemarketing to our cell phones.

104. Chelsea

Cell phones use microwave signals to work. Microwaves do not cause cancer. I am not concerned. It's not like there are gamma rays floating out of the phone and into your brain. I think it's rediculous.

105. Kyle S.

I'm not concerned because I primarily use a hands-free device.

If even then I'm at risk, I'll have to put it up with. What's the alternative?

Not using a cellphone for my entire life is a much greater luxury/comfort-risk than a small chance to get cancer far down the line.

October 27, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  106. Sue From Idaho

Jack I hope the people that spend their lives on any kind of phone are listening. The lady in the grocery store, the girl driving her car and the man standing behind me in the casino are taking their welfare for granted as I have had it to the bone with these constant talkers

October 27, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  107. Brenham-16

I don't think it has any effect on health at all. Even if scientists proved otherwise, I don't think Americans, or anyone else on Earth, will stop using them, which is why they need to be improved, not in style, but in safety.

October 27, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  108. Chris Bergen, NJ

Very simple: Exposure to radiation is proven to cause cancer in various forms. Cell phones give off radiation in order to work. Increase your exposure to radiation = increase chance of causing cancer. Not hard to understand.

October 27, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  109. Ruth

It's common sense that cell phones would disturb our brain cells. The lobby will fight this tooth and nail, but I'd like to see how many of them (and especially the engineers) use their phones. Let's hope that people finally care enough about their health to pay attention. Then I hope there will be more research on head sets.

October 27, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  110. David H

Since you hold the phone against your head with your hand, then the impact of phones on the incidence of cancers of the hand, ear, and skin must also be studied!

October 27, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  111. Dan K

I think that if you're using a cell phone more then an hour a day you should have a headset so you don't have the phone right next to your head, and if you don't use it as much, do whatever, but honestly who cares because who knows where the tumors and other health problems people incur come from! All they can do is HOPE that they are lucky with their health, and do whatever then can do to keep themselves safe.

October 27, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  112. DvD

My Father was a 'CrackBerry addict! He was diagnosed with the worst type of brain tumour possible last July and died in December. The tumour was located just behind his ear where he used the phone day and night. Having worked for major mobile manufacturers for last 14 years one thing I was very aware of was that the lawyers were very very nervous about where people stored their phones and close to the body it was. If you get a chance read the 'legal' fineprint clauses in your user guides warning you not to store your phone close to body. I will always believe that the cell phone killed my father. One day the truth will come out!

October 27, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  113. gbJames

I want to say I want to see a more significant link in research before I become overly concerned. However, I also don't want to be the statistic that provides further evidience.

October 27, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  114. Karen

Karen

October 27, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  115. Jerry Brown

Jack,

This is the communication age and if cell phones cases cancer, well you've got to die of something. Oh! I like cigars too.

October 27, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  116. Kyle

Jack-

I'm not really worried about the brain cancer problem. As it turns out, there's this little thingy included in nearly all cell phone purchases that allows you to not hold the phone against your head. As a side benefit, it also keeps you from being a terrible driver.

Unfortunately, using that little thingy is still an option.

October 27, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  117. Allen

this is scary , what if work in close proximity to these waves ? guessing that this is not good .

October 27, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  118. Connor J.

I'm not worried one bit Jack. Cell phones use radio waves, which, like visible light, do not penetrate the skin. If radio waves caused tumors, we would know about it, since radio has been broadcast since the early 1900's.

October 27, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  119. John B.

Cell phones do not generate ionizing radiation–this is radiation that disrupts cells and ultimately could cause cancer. While there is the possibility that cell phones held next to the head might cause health problems over long periods of time, cancer is not likely one of them. This has been proven scientifically, contrary to popular fantasy.

October 27, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  120. Richard Hyer, Jr.

No I'm not worried about any side effects from my cell phone. I worry more about those loney tunes Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Glenn Beck and the rest of those loose cannons.

Richard
    White Marsh, Maryland

October 27, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  121. Marae

This whole "cell phones gives you brain cancer" idea reminds me of the whole "microwave gives you cancer" fiasco years back. And just like microwaves, cell phones have become a huge part of our lives, be it work, family, school, or just networking. Honestly, I can't see a lot of people putting their cells down for good, even with the consequence of developing brain cancer.

October 27, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  122. Adam Simi Valley, CA

If there was an epidemic of teenage girls with brain cancer I'd start being worried. Until then, there needs to be credible, conclusive, study before I buy into it. The WHO are not legitimate. The all powerful subversive "Cellphone Lobby" argument is more funny than anything. Look no further than Global Warming. Most of the theory behind it is based on very questionable science, but that didn't stop the cap-and-trade legislation from being introduced. The cap-and-trade is an enormous weight on every industry and the combined lobby of all those industries wasn't enough to stop the legislation. It still hasn't fully died and hnags there like a suspended ACME anvil right over our collective WILE E COYOTE heads. Lobbyists control less than people think and are not inherently evil as most seem to think they are.

October 27, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  123. paula

I use my speaker phone to reduce radiating my brain. The earpiece, blue tooth etc. have all been retired. If you're on the phone for any length of time you can feel the instrument emitting heat, why would we not think that it's throwing out radiation as well? Anyone who's waiting for the wireless industry to tell us the truth, might as well take out additional insurance coverage.

October 27, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  124. Dave from oregon

keep on useing them them, if the radiation doesn't kill you the other guys front bumper will for sure....

October 27, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  125. Amy Elkridge,MD

Hey Jack,

I use the speakerphone option most of the time...

so, I suspect my FAKE TAN will KILL ME before my cellphone.

October 27, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  126. Wayne - Orlando

Both Lee Atwater and Johnny Cochran were heavy users of cell phones and both died from brain tumors located on the left side (typically where most people use phones). I've always felt there was a link and I use my cell phone sparingly. If you use a cell phone as a primary communications tool, you are at greater risk. Jack, you are right to draw a correlation with tobacco use and cancer rates.

October 27, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  127. Mari Fernandez, Utah

Nope..... not concerned, unlike most people my cell phone has not become an appendage to my body!

PS. Jack, I did not get to comment on the previous question: I say, to President Obama please END the occupation in Afghanistan, we can not win there and we will eventually come home! Stop throwing money away in a senseless war! Bring the Troops home!

October 27, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  128. John in Hampton, Virginia

There is way to much else in life to worry about without getting uptight about the cell phone cancer scare. I have lived longer than my father, both grandfathers, and I am still in good health in my mid 60s. I intend to enjoy the remainder of life and if that includes a "risk" from enjoying conversation with family and friends on a cell phone...so be it. Get real people. None of us are going to get out of this thing called life alive!

October 27, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  129. Bob ; Caldwell ID

Mr. Cafferty: After surviving the Great Depression, WWII, a stint in the Air Force during the Korean "conflict"; assination of JFK, 45 years working to make "ends meet"; and much much more - ...you now ask if I'm afraid of brain damage via my cell phone? So, I'd say (for much of my generation) –Afraid? - AS OPPOSED TO WHAT?

October 27, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  130. Ralph Spyer chicago Il

Yes , it is hard driving with the cell phone in my ear,and how was I able to live with out a cell phone? I am lucky my job gives me a cell phone with a G.P.S. so they can track me all day.

October 27, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  131. andyz Lynn, MA

I remember a few years ago that sources had determined that the old analog cell phones were the killers and the digital cell phones were safe. Lied to again! Can't we pass laws that imprison the "experts" that give out false information?

October 27, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  132. David

Jack, wait a second, if the study was so extensive and complete as you stated, and it doesn't show a "definitive" link to brain tumors, then there must not be provable link, right?

October 27, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  133. Susan Wong

I'm concerned that cell phone usage is dangers for adults, but I'm even more concerned about children's usage. My granddaughter is only 16 months old, but so many kids have cells today and I think this is very bad for their developing brain/bodies...
    There are many positive reasons that kids have cell phones, but I think parents need to limit the amount of time that their children use them.

October 27, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  134. ej in ABQ

Very concerned! I only use a blue tooth device hoping to keep the cellular transmission signal further from my head. As a former broadcaster, I remember engineers yelling at me to get away from the cell towers. You must recall that, Jack. If we couldn't stand in front of them then, why would these signals be safe to constantly have near our brains? I think the truth will come out when the increase in brain tumors and disease becomes too obvious to ignore.

October 27, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  135. kathy sanger

I am convinced that holding my frequently-used cell phone to my left ear caused my glioblastoma brain tumor w sixteen months ago. The tumor was located on the same spot inside my head as the spot where I held my phone outside my head. I have forbidden my three children and husband from using their cell phones except in emergencies. I wonder whether cordless phones pose the same risks?

October 27, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  136. Beth, Port Huron, MI

I always thought that Mulder's problem wasn't aliens, it was brain damage due to constant cell phone use. The truth will out.

October 27, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  137. Daniel (Pennsylvania)

Yes, my wife and I are very concerned about the health risks associated with cell phone use... and we're becoming less and less concerned about being reachable... try it sometime, you might just like it! 🙂

October 27, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  138. Joe Kilmer

Cell phones probably are a cause of some types of cancer, but people will continue to use them out of convenience. The cellular phone companies make billions of dollars off cell phone usage, and like the tobacco companies, they will fight to prevent the public from knowing the dangers of their products.

People who do not think that holding a device that can transmit a powerful radio signal, sometimes a mile away or further, up to their head could cause health problems are in denial. A variety of radio waves and other wave form of energies have been known to cause cancer, and it is most likely the same with cell phones. All it takes is one mutation to make a cell cancerous, and all it takes is one cancer cell to start dividing without end to put a persons health and very life at risk.

October 27, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  139. Marcy in Arizona

I'm absolutely concerned. Two Realtor friends and extensive cell phone users have died of brain cancer, and a third was just diagnosed with fatal tumor last week after emergency surgery. Just dug out my earbuds & cord and am ooking into a hands-free device for the car. It's too scary to ignore any longer.

October 27, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  140. ed in ri

Jack;
    I'm not concerned because I don't use them and I don't associate with people that do. I researched the dangers back in 06, from studies in Denmark. Things haven't changed: The industry says NO, independent testers say Yes. Sounds like big business will win another battle. History repeats itself.

October 27, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  141. reg burns

I'm not as concerned with damage caused by cell phones as I am with the total of all radio waves. Look at all the radio waves from TV stations, radio stations, satellites, & wireless communications. Our bodies are being bombarded with radio waves, and common sense would say that can't be good for our health.

October 27, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  142. Richard

The reason I believe this claim sounds fishy is that I see no plausible reason why cell phones would give you cancer. Tobacco contains carcinogens which promote cancer, but how would the electromagnetic energy of a cell phone cause cancer? I wonder what the study actually says, not just the Telegraph's reporting of it.

October 27, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  143. wes

Build more cell towers.
    Cell companies build the minimum number of towers. The vast majority of subscribers are in marginal signal areas.
    Users in these marginal areas have hundreds of times more power against than brains than close in users.
    (Cell Phones and towers adjust their transmit powers up to the maximum to provide the specified received signal strength.

October 27, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  144. Jeanette

Yes, Jack, we should definitely be concerned about cell phone use. My husband died from brain cancer three years ago...he was healthy in every other way, but spent hours on the road with his cell phone glued to his right ear. The Glioblastoma was just behind that ear. Then and now, I believe the cell phone was a factor-this study seems to indicate a link.

October 27, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  145. Kurosh Bian

We are all doomed, Cellular health risks, electromagnetic fields, radio waves, XRay and all the unknown waves & Rays not to mention our lungs from all the polutions of all kinds, Chemicals released in to our planet, unless we go back to the Stone Age.

October 27, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  146. Mark Crawford

Jack, 3 years ago I had a brain tumor removed. The drs. couldn't tell me much about the hows or whys. I was a huge cell user until I couldn't work and had to leave the occupation that I loved with the railroads. Cells are the curse of our time.

October 27, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  147. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I don't think people would be concerned about health risk involved in cell phones even if the Government put a warning label on them, and I don't see that happening. People will live and die by the cell phone.

October 27, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  148. john caldwell

Jack dose the cell phone study talk about bluetooth for your ear and do you knoe if it is safer then putting the cell phone to your ear. thanks John. PS love your reporting can always relate

October 27, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  149. Lucy

I've always felt incredibly awkward talking on the phone, and while I've overcome it for the sake of necessity, I don't choose to talk on my cell phone incessantly because of it. So no, I'm not afraid of any health risks.

October 27, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  150. Kim Smith, Dodge City, Kansas

Whether they can give you brain tumors or not, cell phones are here to stay. This has the faint smell of a set-up by lawyers for lawsuits in the future.

October 27, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  151. Joe Miszkiel Murfreesboro, Tn.

The health risks with cell phone use starts with a phone junkie going 60 mph, and not realizing the traffic has stopped.

October 27, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  152. Dee in North Carolina

I'm not worried at all. The way I see it-With all the new taxes and entitlement programs that we are being forced to pay for I will not be able to afford a cell phone much longer anyway.

October 27, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  153. gordon

Jack,

The potential physical health risk is minor compared to the psychological risk of being afraid of being alone.

October 27, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  154. Guy from Hawaii

Call me on my cell phone and we'll discuss it!

October 27, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  155. Charles

Youngstown, NY

Indeed, I am interested, Jack. Although I do not stay on the cell constantly, I do use it when I need to make a call. My calls are never conversations, but merely brief calls to provide or request information that I need then and that cannot wait. I have also used my cell to call AAA when I had car trouble on a vacation. I suspect that this puts me at low risk. Perhaps the research will relate more to people who spend a fair amount of time with that device jammed in their ear.

On the other hand, since I always have the cell phone on and in my pocket, I wonder if the research will suggest that is a risk for some sort of "leg" cancer. Hope not and I suppose since the discussion is primarily involving brain tumor risk, it probably relates to actually having it on and being engaged in frequent conversations.

October 27, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  156. Thom Richer

Hey, why not be. Fear and paranoia are now what we live by. How we achieve goals and govern people. Food, tobacco, drugs, booze, government, flu vaccines, germs, Jews, Catholics, Muslims, Latinos, Blacks, laws, courts, priests, gays, lesbians, politicians, news media, Democrats, Republicans and on and on. Why not add cell phones to our phobias. We are all nuts.

Thom Richer
    Negaunee, MI

October 27, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  157. Mr. X

Mobile Phones, while convenient have caused much havoc. I have used them since the early 90s, blue tooth in the late 90s, then diagnosed with the worst possible tumor in 2002. One of my best friends, equally a frequent user, died three years back form exactly the same condition – go figure. My phone is now hands free with an external antenna in the car, otherwise forward the calls to a land line whenever possible.

I have always seen a potential connection but since the transmission frequency is sold by governments to carriers and since carriers have a lobby, do you really think that this health link will become the official line anytime soon??? All of this may make the cigarette lobby look minuscule in comparison. It is cheaper to let insurance companies or health programs carry the cost of developing this decease.

Just like the phone may have changed your life for the better, you may want to take a step back and wonder what you are doing to yourself and what you let the phone do to you. Keep conversations short, use the forwarding features, and get a hands-free set for the car. More importantly, keep them away from children!!!

October 27, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  158. Joel M - Wisconsin

It will become a question on health insurance applications, so the insurance companies can raise the premiums for engaging in a hazardous activity.

October 27, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  159. Reed McGowan

Jack, in 1000 years, if man is still around, he will marvel at the supreme idiocy of our times...and how we put profit before well-being. i am assuming that our technology will have advanced us to a position of wisdom & prudence, but at the rate we are going now, maybe not. Why are we sitting idly by and watching this happen? Are we really this apathetic and selfish ? With the disastrous effects that consumer toxins & technological "advances" have had on our culture already, why aren't we demanding more efficient restrictions? We ought to ALL be pursuing urgent reform. I guess calling 911 is a bit ironic, considering now it can kill you....

October 27, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  160. Adriana RM Marietta,Ga

Most people are glued to their Twitter, Facebook, MySpace,email or text then actually talking to someone.

October 27, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  161. Arne, TX

I've been saying that to my friends for more than two years! I was telling them, that is going to be the same as it was with cigarettes..and ualla – the study is out! I used to talk a lot on my cell, but I rarely use it nowadays. I was a slave of it, and believe me, life (almost) without it is great....I feel so free, Jack you should try it!!

October 27, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  162. Jen

My otherwise healthy daughter was diagnosed with a brain tumor at the age of 17 – the area where her cell phone was most commonly used. Upon further tests other tumors were discovered – on her hip/pelvis bones. she kept her cell in her pocket on that side when it wasn't in use. Enough for me!

October 27, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  163. Peggy

If these facts are true, we will lose an entire generation (ages 15-35) to brain tumors. My three children all use their cell phones exclusively and don't have landlines.

October 27, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  164. Nancy, Tennessee

It disturbs me that cell phones have become a national past-time. Even if the phones don't give you brain cancer, they give you brain duh syndrome. Some people have to be talking on one all the time. My doctor's office has signs all over, turn your cell phones off during visit. Makes me wonder what idiot had to talk on the phone while the doctor waited to do his examination that prompted those signs. I hope cell phones are a passing fad like the hula hoop and the fascination will soon fade.

October 27, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  165. Ian

This is only one problem with cell phones and our cultures use of them. Are they keeping us "connected," or aiding in a longer work week with no overtime? Keep your family in your "circle," just so you can call and say you are going to be late while you text an associate, get in a fender bender, go to the DR. for injuries and they tell you that you have BRAIN CANCER. A short story worthy of any ironic Hollywood connect the dots tale. More to it. Do us justice CNN.

October 27, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  166. luci - Peoria, Il.

No, I think by now if they were going to prove it, it would be done. I use mine for emergency's only, so therefore not concerned.

October 27, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  167. Dodie ~ California

If anyone could look at a spectrum analyzer, you would pass out! Until you see the amount of RF, HF, VHF, micro waves in the air all around us, you just can not even imagine how bad it is!!! so don't worry about cell phones! We are way beyond that!

Irvine, Ca

October 27, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  168. lynnej

When I heard this, I thought about how we never look deep into anything until people are dead or nearly that. I think we've become a nation too dependent on gadgets because we're either too lazy to actually go to library and actually hunt for a book off the shelves or too anxious to wait to talk on the home telephone.

This 'gotta have it right now' attitude and the selfishness that has manifested from it is the reason that we're in the myriad of messes that we as a country are facing now.

October 27, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  169. Beth

Jack,

It’s too late. My little brother passed away March 19th this year from a brain tumor less than 18 months of diagnosis. He was only 43 years old. He had one blackberry, and two cell phones. They were his “babies.” Even though I only got to see him once after his surgery b/f he died, he was no longer the brother I knew, (unlike Kennedy who died of the same thing) but he still had enough of his brain that he had to have his blackberry in his hand or laying on his chest or at the very least, next to him until nearly the day he died.

I have not begun to come close to the reality that my “baby brother” has died so young. To hear there may be a strong, scientific reason, for the loss of him gives me 2 emotions; possible understanding for the cause of his death, and severe anger that the study has come way to late for my brother. I only hope this anger will put me on the path of grieving my tremendous loss.

Beth_Albany_OR

October 27, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  170. Don from Wisconsin

Jack, why in the world does ANYONE need to be plugged into their cell phones 24/7. Twitter, Facebook, Myspace, phone, text, email ect, ect. ect.
    What do all of these people communicate anyway. And the kids, they all are yapping on them. I am glad I did not grow up with one because my parents did not need to know that I was at the apple orchard having an apple fight with the neighbor kids. I say hang em up and use them only in an emergency.

October 27, 2009 at 5:42 pm |
  171. claire tamplin

I was treated for a brain tumor called a meningeoma. I started using a cell phone in 1997 and was diagnoised 2005. There is not an explanation as to what causes meningeomas but I think a cell phone can cause a brain tumor. Alot of these things remain hidden to the public for to long.

October 27, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  172. Pamela holt

Foley,al. If we don"t die of cancer fom all the preservatives in the food we eat, or the polluted air we breathe, then now we are learning we could die from getting cancer from using the cell phones. I don" t remember getting a warning when I purchased mine...

October 27, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  173. Mike from Springfield

I talk on the phone as little as possible. When I do, I prefer to use an ear bud, or the speaker option, so it is not up against my face. If you are worried about this, put the phone down, and go visit someone face to face for a change.

October 27, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  174. Stephan Srock

About 5 years ago a prominent doctor who was the spokesman for the cell phone manufacturers had supported the cell phone manufacturers stated that they were harmless came clean and said that they had him in their pockets and was being paid to basically lie for money. In this interview he stated in substance basically the same as the aforementioned article.

October 27, 2009 at 5:45 pm |
  175. Remy

Cell phones have not been shown to have any effect on bees. They they have not been shown to cause cancer. Can I please get some of the crack that you are all smoking? Driving and talking on the phone is a real problem, focus on that one.

October 27, 2009 at 5:46 pm |
  176. Julia

I only use my cell for emergencies. I have always had headaches and other symptom if I use the phone. I also can feel symptoms if I am near a cell phone tower. Unfortunately I live in NYC, and these devices are everywhere. This electromagnetic pollution is an invisible and odorless killer. Unfortunately, the cell phone companies will never let out the true
    information about this. They put the cell phone towers on buildings now, right where people live. How is this affecting nature- the animals?

October 27, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  177. Unoriginal Commenter

Yes, I'm concerned blah blah blah driving!

October 27, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  178. Sam Gowall

"Is there an app for that?"

– Brilliant!

October 27, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  179. Diana J

I'm concerned enough that I bucked the mobility trend. Faced with an economic decision, I kept my land line and dropped the cell phone service. I know someone who got a brain tumor – behind the ear that that he always put the phone up to.

October 27, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  180. Dee

Judging from some of the morons I see on cell phones in traffic and other really bad locations, I think there may be something to that claim. In fact, most of those folks must already have brain tumors! That is, being charitable and assuming they have brains.

October 27, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  181. Mike B

The only real health risk is reading yet another story on the safety of cell phones. I have used one for years and never had a problem. I do have some ringing in my ears every once in a while, but that only occurs when my wife is yelling at me.

October 27, 2009 at 5:51 pm |
  182. Jeremy

If Senator Tom Harkin were scientifically literate, he'd realize that you cannot prove cell phones don't cause cancer. You can only prove that they do cause cancer or that there is no evidence that they cause cancer.

October 27, 2009 at 5:52 pm |
  183. inforodeo

i have to wonder how they can make these studies accurate, given the lifestyles of most cellphone users and the impossibility of separating other common factors from the tests. Maybe these cancers are a result of sitting in front of a computer or game console for long periods of time. or from drinking coffee. or from constantly being exposed to the toxic chemicals in their ipods, gps units, pdas, laptops, credit cards and bottled water, or from eating microwaved foods. maybe it's the high-stress lifestyles. who knows?

October 27, 2009 at 5:53 pm |
  184. nancy

Yes I am concerned especially for the millions of young people who seem to think they can't function without them. My children constantly beg me to get them a cell phone so they can be like all the other kids at school. I say no! I recognize that they are convenient but wont buy one until the technology improves to reduce the microwave radiation exposure. There is just not enough known on how those microwaves alter young brain cells.

October 27, 2009 at 5:53 pm |
  185. Lauren

Jack,

When was the last time a cell phone company gave you something for free? Never. But each time you get a new cell phone they make sure to include a free set of earphones to keep the device away from your brain. I think this is them covering their butts for future lawsuits.

October 27, 2009 at 5:54 pm |
  186. Emerson, Los Angeles

I'm not concerned, because I rarely ever use mine. I hate even needing to have one, but since all my friends have gone completely mobile, I have to have one or get left out on their last-minute activities. As for the study, it's still too early to conclusively show that cell phones cause cancer–after all, they didn't get really popular until about 6-7 years ago, and the people who used them before that probably had the overpowered ones. On the other hand... 6-7 years isn't necessarily a long enough time to study the long-term effects, and I for one am taking no chances. Oh yeah, and those bluetooth things also use RF (less, yes), so those aren't necessarily the cure-all. Ask again in 10 more years.

October 27, 2009 at 5:55 pm |
  187. Will

Jack,

All we need is for the pharmecutical industries to start working on this. Surely they can find a solution. We need a technical name like Phone Induced Synapse Disorder. Side effects will be minimal. Everytime the phone rings you just pop a pill and your protected. Results may vary.

October 27, 2009 at 5:55 pm |
  188. Carrie in Seattle

Honestly, with the gradual shift from land-line phones to cell phones for general use in our society, I am a little concerned. I'm mostly concerned that we don't seem to be worried about the effects of such a large shift to ourselves, our environment, and our already questionable driving skills. I think they need to look for more than just cancer. Maybe we could go into stuff with our eyes open, for a change.

October 27, 2009 at 5:55 pm |
  189. Kelly

Yes, I am concerned, especially since children now use cell phones from a fairly early age and have them integratred into their lives. We also know they pose a huge risk while driving but few states have moved to make talking/texting while driving illegal. We need to explore and address ALL of the risks of cell phones.

October 27, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  190. APC

Hold on a second Jack... im on the other line...

October 27, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  191. sean

"he's concerned no one has been able to prove cell phones don't cause cancer"

Can you ever disprove a negative?

October 27, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  192. claire tamplin

You won't get a warning. Do you think the tobacco company wanted to warn you. Google Arthur Tamplin and/or John Goffman, two of the governments best scientist and see how the government tried to shut them up when they came out public about the dangers of radiation. Nuclear Physisist with alot of discoveries credited to their names. Both of them passed away last year, but what they knew will never be silenced now. Take heed and the warnings you are able to get, they encounter violent opposition to get to you.

October 27, 2009 at 5:57 pm |
  193. Nate Parkinson

It seems like just about everything causes cancer these days, microwaving your food in plastic, aspartame, and now our own cell phones. Really, if we're going to worry about even our cell phones we should also start wearing full body suits lined with lead to keep the sun from giving us cancer, ohh and anyone with a house that's more than thirty years old should have to wear a respirator to protect themselves from mesothelioma.

We're all gonna die somewhere, somehow. Get used to the idea.

October 27, 2009 at 5:57 pm |
  194. Paul In Dallas, TX

Yes, cell phones are here to stay so we need to know if there's cause for concern and if so can't that make a better cellphone that minimizes the risk?

October 27, 2009 at 5:57 pm |
  195. Penny

I actually HAVE a brain tumor, but have never owned a cell phone. So this supposition doesn't apply to me. However, imaging technology is growing quickly and can find small tumors that would have gone undiagnosed just a few years ago. I hope this is accounted for in the study.

October 27, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  196. Charlotte

Of course cell phones cause brain cancer. After being in medicine for 20 years it's easy to see this info is only the tip of the iceburg. Take a look at the San Francisco Planeteriam exhibit of the GPS, Satellites circling the earth bombarding us every day...mindboggling. Since the cancer wave is coming, medicine is a good place to put your money. This country loves to treat sick people for profit. This most certainly will be expensive and devastating...most teens can't be without their cell phones for 10 minutes. It's just the beginning like any other trend – you can ignore it or do something about it – all about choices and consequences.

October 27, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  197. viren vyas

I am glad that cnn is trying their best to make people aware of danger of using a lot of phone calls by cell phones.South Carolina

October 27, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  198. jcb

only leisure suits cause cancer

October 27, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  199. Patrick McMillan

Jack,

My kids don't have cell phones but they do want them, but I believe that more children will suffer from clinical depression and die from suicide or from over medication than they will from cell phone use. I also believe we need to focus more attention on helping our kids become happier and more compassionate toward one another than keep them from using cell phones.

October 27, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  200. James

Health Risk / Benefit ratio is very low. I won't worry about this.

October 27, 2009 at 6:01 pm |
  201. Jen Richmond, Sacramento, CA

Yes I am concerned but I am an adult and can make my own health decisions. I don't want tax payer money spend on a congressional sub committee studying the issue. This is not a Government issue, we don't need money spent on personal decisions.

October 27, 2009 at 6:02 pm |