October 14th, 2009

Crime a greater threat to your well-being than a year ago?

Three-quarters of Americans say there is more crime in the U.S. than there was a year ago. Gallup's annual crime poll shows this is the highest level since the early 1990s. The poll also finds 51-percent of Americans say there is more crime in their local area than a year ago.

The official crime statistics won't be released until next year. But it's worth noting that during difficult economic times - it's not uncommon for crime to increase. And even though the statistics aren't out yet - it seems like stories about crime and violence are everywhere these days:

Making national headlines, there was the brutal beating death of a 16-year-old honor student in Chicago... which was only one example of an epidemic of murders of young people in that city.

• Not far from Chicago - In Joliet, Illinois - where shootings and murders are up from last year - some people are afraid to come out of their homes.
  • In Washington, D.C. - Two teens were killed and three others were wounded yesterday. Police think it was a drive-by shooting possibly motivated by an ongoing dispute between rival neighborhoods.
  • And In Deerfield, Florida - police say five juveniles are in custody after a 15-year-old was set on fire after being doused in rubbing alcohol. A couple of these kids were even seen laughing about it.

Here’s my question to you: Is crime a greater threat to your well-being than it was a year ago?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Jim from Hot Springs Village, Arkansas writes:
Jack, Speaking as a retired police officer, crime increases during hard economic times. But the despicable crimes are usually not economically connected…The sad part about crimes that occur during an economic downturn is that so often people with strong moral values commit crimes because of losing a job or losing their home… just to feed their family. I’ve had grown men cry in the back seat of a squad car over committing a crime that they would normally never consider.

Norm writes:
Personally, I don't think so. However I see the rise in teenage crimes as a scary reality check for our society. Our sentencing laws are a joke. Time off for good behavior? If they behaved "good", they would not be behind bars. Parole should be done away with. You get 5 years, you serve 5 years.

Greg from Frankfort, Kentucky writes:
In my neighborhood, two doors down from me is a foreclosed house. Across the street, there’s another one. Most of us here are in the same boat – we're just trying to survive in the midst of tough economic times. So everyone knows that the other person doesn't have anything either, and no one bothers to break into another's home because they know anything of value probably has already been sold off to pay rent or buy food. The best deterrent to crime is to not have anything.

Martha from Oklahoma writes:
You bet that crime is worse. I live in a small town in Oklahoma. Last summer and fall, our quiet residential street was peppered with gunfire in 3 drive-by shootings. It scares you when this kind of thing hits home.

Don from Florida writes:
I am a firearms instructor in Nassau County, Florida. Last weekend, we had 18 people go through our courses to get concealed weapons carry licenses. The number of people here getting these licenses is astounding. Everyone expresses a fear of being attacked. When I go to Jacksonville's concert hall downtown, I go heavily armed because one of the neighborhoods west of there is the fourth deadliest in America. Imagine listening to Mozart while carrying a .357 magnum.

Filed under: crime • Crime and Punishment
  1. Lucy

A year ago I lived in Washington DC. During my college stint, I was sexually assaulted on three different occasions, and robbed from. Right now, I live back at home where I grew up, a farm. Use your common sense, the answer is no.
    Lucy
    SF, CA

October 14, 2009 at 12:52 pm |
  2. David (Wilmington NC)

If the GOP blocking me from getting access to affordable healthcare
    VIA a public option is considered a crime, then yes.

Otherwise. No.

October 14, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  3. Russ in PA

Not yet, but just wait. What happens when the job market continues to tank? What happens when more towns and states are have to raise taxes because they refuse to cut spending? What happens when the FED and Treasury continue to devalue the dollar? It's all going to seem like a movie made for TV...

October 14, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  4. Tom from Philly

Crime will always be a problem so long as we clear the jails out for our limitless supply of drug offenders while simultaneously making sure there are profits for the drug trade thru our supply side interdiction policies that create high incomes for the drug trade while young minorities enjoy a 50% unemployment rate

Incremental this way or that way or publicity of the horrors of gangs is just sensationalism and perceived gains / losses in crime. You cant re attach a severed arm with bandaids.....

October 14, 2009 at 1:03 pm |
  5. john .............. marlton, nj

Yes, crime is becoming a bigger problem... The police brass aren't letting the cops do their job and enforcing the law. The police top brass are more interested in what is politically correct (and how would they know) versus LEGALLY correct. The affirmative action hero running philly's police (he formerly messed up DC's police) is more interested in firing police for making deroggatory remarks than enforcing the law... It is a disgrace !
    Many watched this bum let DC decay and when DC finally bounced him (officially a "politically correct" boot), the city of brotherly love got stuck with him...

I remember when NYC was a mess and what it took to clean it up .. and look now ! Enforce the law ...all the laws...

October 14, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  6. Jim

Jack,

No. I'm lucky enough to live in an area and a community where crime is very low.

Jim
    Reno, Nevada

October 14, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  7. CC

Yes, because we are constantly sympathetic to softer penalties for wrongdoing. Is it not the least bit interesting that the coutnries with the stricter penalties for crimes have the fewest?

We continue to seek liberal, good will with criminals and all it ever does is embolden them to do more. Its simple human psychology Jack, but what is that ever good for.

October 14, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  8. Dennis North Carolina

yes, we are going backwards.

October 14, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  9. JD In NH

No. If a burgler breaks into my home he's apt to feel sorry for me and leave something.

October 14, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  10. Eleanor

I live in the Chicago area, I moved here 8 years ago and it was bad then and worse now however I appreciate the efforts made from the whitehouse, but there is something I just don't understand and that is alot of the Chicago People are complaining about certain people like Jesse Jackson not being invited to attend the big meeting with Eric Holder, if they are so concerned why do they have to be in a meeting with Eric Holder to try to resolve these problems why haven't these people had meetings continuously trying to come to some kind of resolve and solve our own problems with all the fuss it seems they are looking for photo opts only and their best interest is not our youth otherwise there should have been no fuss but appreciation for all the help you can get.

October 14, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  11. MIKE FROM CHICAGO

yes it is! There have been quite a few burglaries in out neighborhood recently. A totally new phenomenom.

October 14, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  12. Dave, Brooklyn, NY

No, I’d say that crime has continued to increase particularly since 2000. I’m speaking of corporate criminals and those in government who reward them with bailouts at our expense. What Obama has done so far with billions in relief for looser CEOs and increased taxes on the middle class, and what he has failed to do (keep any or all of his promises) is what I call criminal. So it is more than a threat; we are already victims.

October 14, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  13. Lou from North Carolina

Yes and at home, we have installed the best alarms available to tell intruders and us that we have company. We don't go to malls near or after dark. We stay away from the stores where they shop and it is obvious "where they shop" because the papers state where robberies occur.

October 14, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  14. Conor in Chicago

If by crime you mean the theft of my tax dollars by the financial sector of this country and the raised possiblity of domestic terrorism due to percieved "left wing conspiracies" then yeah, it's greater for all of us.

October 14, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  15. Sandra in Temecula, CA

Yes, with so many people out of work and desperate more people are turning to crime. There are the career criminals but in our local news there have also been more bank robberies pulled off by Senior citizens and middle aged woman. A sign of desperate times.

October 14, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  16. Tom in Desoto, Tx

I personally don't feel a greater threat. A lot depends on where you live. Crime as always gone up in bad times and improved when things got better. With better regulation of banks and financial institutions crime should go down, at least white collar crime.

October 14, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  17. Steve, Clifton, VA

Crime has and always will be a partner to high unemployment, recessions and depressions, so of course I am more threaten by crime as the most basic instinct of man is to survive at all cost.

Steve
    Clifton, VA

October 14, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  18. JENNA

Is crime a greater threat to your well being than it was a year ago?

No, not yet. But with all the cutbacks in law enforcement and fire fighters I can see problems looming in the future.

It all really comes down to getting people jobs, so that they can get back in their homes and tax revenues collected to pay for services..

Jenna
    Roseville CA

October 14, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  19. Patricia

This is a relatively safe country and I live in a safe city, so no...I feel very comfortable with the crime rate in my town. Do I take basic precautions like locking my house and car? Surely. But on summer nights, when it's cool out and warm in the house, the breeze from open windows is delicious and I sleep soundly.

Boise

October 14, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  20. Joe CE

No, there is less white collar crime (at least temporialy) from manipulation of fionancial markets.

October 14, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  21. John from Alabama

Jack: There is no difference from last year to this year for crime being a threat to me or my family. I guess with all the unemployment and bad news about the economy you'd think there might be more crime, but actually crime rates are lower. Go figure!!

October 14, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  22. Jane (Minnesota)

I don't think it's a greater threat to me than last year; however I do pay closer attention to my surroundings than I did in the past – because of a late night visitor on my front doorstep 3 months ago. He didn't do anything criminal; I'm not sure what the outcome would have been if I have done what he asked and given him a ride across town.

October 14, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  23. Bizz, Quarryville, Pennsylvania

Jack, I live in what is called the Susquehanna Valley here in Pennsylvania. That includes Harrisburg, York and Lancaster. I can remember a time like so many people can around the country, when we left our doors unlocked without being concerned that someone would come in to harm us. A murder or a bank robbery was very big news and you could read about it for several days on the front page of the local paper. Now murder, bank robbery and other serious crimes are just about a everyday occurrence in the Susquehanna Valley. Crime is definitely on the rise here. Drugs and the gangs trying to control the sale of it has caused the deaths of innocent bystanders which are sometimes children here in our area. Now that the economy is bad along with the drug problem, the crime rate seems to be growing every month.

October 14, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  24. Theresa in Bozeman

No, crime is much less of a worry for me now since I moved from a crime-ridden megalopolis to a nice small town.

October 14, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  25. fred doofenshmirtz

I'm more scared of the Democrats. They're not just stealing what I have, worse, they're stealing my future. That's criminal.

October 14, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  26. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

Crime is on the rise and will increase even more in the next few years and especially with the lack of good paying jobs because we want everything now and especially the easier softer way and as the drug lords keep winning. Then when it is too late our leaders will decide it's time to take action with the military because they will all be dead in some lost casue overseas.

October 14, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  27. Tina Tx

Yes and everytime the economy is in the tanks the creeps come out in full force with every scheme there is too think of. Not only the street thugs but the thugs who are behind the scenes trying to buy out your life insurance policy and those type of criminals. We need jobs now and fast.

October 14, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  28. Rich McKinney, Texas

I think crime is going up and there is little we can do about it.
    Any time people are forced out of work they still need to eat. Hungry people will do a lot of things they normally wouldn't do and committing crime to survive is one of them. Especially if you have a family to support and the government is not creating any new jobs any time soon.
    Worse case scenario is you commit a crime get caught and put in jail. Then you get 3 hot meals a day a warm bed, recreation time, free television and can learn a new trade for when you do get out of jail all paid for by the American tax payer..

October 14, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  29. Joanne B

It's about the same as last yr, however one has to be careful and that has been the case for 25 yrs now.
    Good moral standards for the most part are not taught anymore – it has been taken over by loose standards (oh it looks so much like Rome to the History Buff).
    Joanne
    Mn

October 14, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  30. Ryan - Galesburg, IL

Crime at the local level will only rise with the increasing economic hardships Americans are facing. The root cause of this is corporate crime, of which we are all victims. Bankers' policies and unbridled greed continue to be the greatest threat to us of all.

October 14, 2009 at 2:37 pm |
  31. Terry, Chandler AZ

Of course not Jack. However I work with people who have a gun in every room of their house and are fully prepared with food and water and ammunition....just in case.

October 14, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  32. Christian the Great

Yes Jack, because Republicans are ousted from majority and they are on the prowled looking for vengence. I from Louisiana Jack, and saying down here is watch for snakes.

October 14, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  33. Larry, Ohio

Jack,I,d say I am at a much greater threat from crime than year ago,,just look at how many crooks have been exposed in government!

October 14, 2009 at 2:48 pm |
  34. Nancy, Grand Ledge,MI

I don't think so, Jack! Last years' heist by AIG, Wall Street, and the Bush Administration that just handed them our money , no questions asked , was the worst crime I"ve ever seen! Someone should be in jail by now, but they're not!! They're still out there, committing the same crimes all over again!! Why not? It paid well last time!!

October 14, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  35. Melissa

No, not at all. At least not where I live.

October 14, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  36. Jan Davis, Knoxville, TN

Jack, only in the area of the great crimes leveled against the average American by the banks and credit card companies do I believe crime is worse than last year. Their tactics are in some cases worse than other criminals as they are fighting and threatening people to make a buck on the back of ordinary Americans. They are just as bad as the terrorists in my opinion. Banks don't need bailouts–the average American does.

October 14, 2009 at 2:55 pm |
  37. Jon in Hartford

I denfinitely view crime as a greater threat than last year. It is easier for the mega-banks to threaten to declare bankruptcy in order to extort more of our federal dollars. We seem to contain political terrorists only to deal with financial terrorists. Worst of all, you it is not easy to identify who in Washington, DC is working for them! Instead of providing Gen. Mcchrystal with 40,000 troops, perhaps we should hire 40,000 more investigators at the SEC.

October 14, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  38. Terry from North Carolina

Jack
    I am ten minutes away from Winston-Salem where two police officers were shot answering a domestic dispute call, one of the officers passed away from his gunshot wounds, what do you think ?

October 14, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  39. george

Not only has the criminal crime jumped in the last few years, legal crime are still very previlant also, you know the white collar type, where everyone has him hands in everyone elses pocket, and not only gets away with it, but gets bailed out also..

October 14, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  40. Jackie in Dallas

The biggest threat to my well-being is lack of a decent health care option, Jack. Now, I'd happen to call that a crime, as I've been a taxpaying, voting citizen of this country for 41 years, but obviously that wasn't what you meant!

October 14, 2009 at 3:14 pm |
  41. Susan Frost

Most of the street criminals I know haven't paid any attention to the bad economy. They either never worked to begin with, or they have jobs in recession-proof businesses like fast food where you can deal drugs through the takeout window or discount stores where they can slip items over the scanner for their friends to take home and return later for a cash refund. They are remarkably resilient in terms of their survival skills.For better or worse, they're no different now than they were when I started practicing law 36 years ago (when I was eight years old!) and they won't be any different 36 years from now.

Susan
    Tuscaloosa AL

October 14, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  42. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I hope not. I love watching the Democrats eating their own.

October 14, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  43. David, Natchez, MS

It sure is, we have had more murders already this year than in the past three years. It is hard to find some calibers of ammumition at local sporting goods stores and it is no longer safe to go out after dark alone.

October 14, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  44. chris

it'a not even on the radar of cocerns

October 14, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  45. Frank from Peterborough

Not at all Jack but then again I'm a Canadian.

October 14, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  46. Barbara in NC

I don't even wear my jewelry any more. Too many people are hungry, I weigh about 100 pounds - can't afford to be mugged for a few hundred dollars by the "bad guy" with a hungry family to feed. Crime will continue to rise – by non-criminal people – the crime will be committed by hungry people that can't find a job or that have lost their jobs to H1-b visa holders or outsourcing.

Any more stupid questioins Jack?

October 14, 2009 at 3:41 pm |
  47. Paul S. New Port Richey, Fl

As long as American wrist slap justice keeps getting worse, the answer is yes to your question. The way it works these days is the rights of victims of crime are secondary to the sad and heart rendering personal tales of the perpetrators. Bring back the gallows.

October 14, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  48. Doug - Dallas, TX

Naw, in Texas we just shoot em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 14, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  49. Denny from Tacoma, WA

Judging from the news media, crime has increased significantly but we have not noticed any trends of such in our neighborhood.

October 14, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  50. Joe G. (Illinois)

If you are a Liberal Progressive you champion the destruction of personal and family moral values, therefore “Crime.” God fearing people don’t go out and murder people that much.. Only Liberal Progressives sing and dance about it.. And actually go out and do it. 53% of Vote Eligible American are Liberal Progressives (Not counting 20-30 million of Illegal immigrants from the south and others form elsewhere.) And others who could not vote.

October 14, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  51. Michael, Alexandria, VA

It's about the same and really not much of a threat in either year.

October 14, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  52. Linda in Arizona

I live a quiet life in a small town. Not much happens here, although it is near the border with Mexico. I've seen no increase in crime here.

October 14, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  53. Lance, Ridgecrest, Ca

Jack, Thankfully, the answer is "NO", mainly because I live in a smaller town that still controls crime/violence with an adequate, proactive city police, county Sheriff, and State Trooper presence. 100 miles from here is the start of the "GREATER L.A." gang combat zone where law enforcement has its hands tied by the "RACE POLICE" which turns every enforcement effort into a "racial confrontation", victims are ignored, and the criminals rule. Sound familiar Chicago, D.C., New York???

October 14, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  54. Arlene, Illinois

I'm from the Chicago area and where did you get the information
    that people in Joliet, Illinois are afraid to come out of their houses,
    sure makes for a good CNN daytime story. Get your facts straight
    before you paint with a broad brush.

October 14, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  55. Leslie

Lets see no jobs+ no money+ no credit = more crime. We give thanks to the banks, insurance companies and the Bush administration. It good to be an American

October 14, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  56. Don-Northwood,Ohio

Not yet But If we don't make some changes soon..Things will get worse, Kids are getting involved in crime way too much now days, They are lured by the money and the laws are generally lenient toward Juveniles which makes them targets for recruitment. Is has Failed! End the War On Drugs and Severely damage the Black Market,If not Destroy it,Educate,Regulate and Control,Treat addiction as a Health matter and save our kids.

October 14, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  57. DON IN WESTPORT, MASS.

Yes. I am deathly afraid of white collar executives who have a hand in our cookie jar. They take my money and get away with it and I don't know how to protect myself.
    I live in great fear that there will be one at every corner. I fear they will take everything I ever worked for and deprive my children of the basic needs in life.
    I fear an attack on my life from these white collar leaches is more imminent than any bat or gun weilding hoodlum on the street only because of thier growing numbers. They deal thier deadly blow and walk away smiling. They must be irradicated now Jack.

October 14, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  58. Cheryl

No, but my city hasn't been hit that hard. It is easy to see why that is so – and convenient for the rich. If the middle class is busy fighting crime in their neighborhoods, there is less time to keep an eye making off with the real wealth.

Cheryl
    Houston

October 14, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  59. Jerry Alpharetta, GA

Crime and the mere potential of crime has become more and more of an issue with me as I get older and a little less capable of responding to a threat. There are areas of my city, Atlanta, that I will not even think about venturing into simply because it is too dangerous. When you observe the police officers that are there to serve and protect, you wonder if they could even bend over to tie their shoes, overweight and out of shape seems to be a criteria for the force. You have to be prepared to help yourself, and I hate the idea of carrying a weapon with me but I feel as though i must consider this option given the growing lawlessness and total disregard for the law.

October 14, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  60. Sylvia from California

Jack,

It is no secrete that desparate times will force some people to do things they would not otherwise do....Last I checked, our nation is facing some very desparate and challenging times...

The other day in San Diego, a man who was clearly in his 70's was holding up a bank.... It doesn't get any more desparate than this.....

October 14, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  61. Lisa, San Jose CA

I don't know if crime has statistically increased in my area or not. My existing level of caution seems to have kept me safe so far, so I don't see any reason to *worry* about it any more than I did last year.

Crime does seem more prominent in the press this year. But that doesn't mean there's actually more happening. It could just be what editors like to report, or with more people carrying cameras, it could be that more is getting caught on TV-worthy film.

October 14, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  62. Darren

We're still in the worst recession since The Great Depression and people are understandilby desperate. People need to be more aware of their surroundings and not put themselves into situations that would increase their chance of being victimized. As far as me personally being effected by crime, knock on wooid, no not yet.

October 14, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  63. HD in Phoenix, AZ

Jack,

With cities and states having to slash budgets and cut back on law enforcement personnel, crime statistics are going to rise. Especially as the economy continues to deteriorate. Conditions like this always creates conflict between the “haves & the have nots” or those with high personal standards versus those with little to no personal standards or integrity. Most of these street gang members and street thugs have a common thread and it is the fact that they are the product of human garbage when they are born and they often develop along that highway becoming human garbage.

HD in Phoenix, AZ

October 14, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  64. Jerry Jacksonville, Fl.

I'll say that I look at things a lot differently. I'm more aware of my surroundings and I keep my three inch 12 gauge magnum shotgun a little closer.

October 14, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  65. Jim

Hell Yes Jack, and it increases every year. In the City where I live, Birmingham, Alabama, thugs rule the streets and are spreading to the suburbs. We rank high in crime compared with other Cities in the U.S. They're an average of 4-5 shootings or robberies every week or more. Apparently the same thing is happening in other larger cities around the country. So, yes, I feel more threatened and I now carry a gun.

October 14, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  66. gloria richards

If President Obama and the Democratically controlled House and Senate can't pass healthcare reform, then this country is in real trouble. These healthcare insurance companies are bleeding us dry. Any Democrat who refuses to support the healthcare reform legislation--including a public option!--should expect to lose political support from his or her state and national party and be publically chastised by any and all of us who want a prosperous and healthy future for our kids and grandkids.

October 14, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  67. Katja, Bradenton, Florida

Yes, crime is much worse, despite what local statisics are showing. Our children are killing each other and NO ONE is blaming the parents!! Everyone is blaming the economy and the jobless rate, or the teachers adn education system. But where are the Parents??
    Why aren't the parents of a 16 year old who took the gun from the house and killed someone, also held accountable?

October 14, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  68. Jeff Crocket in New Britain, CT

During economic hard times crime always goes up! What is pathetic is the Obama administration doing nothing about it!

Obama was the community organizer cleaning up and making Chicago a wonderful Marxist world??? The now murder capital of the USA??
    This is the success of the Noble Laureate????

October 14, 2009 at 4:56 pm |
  69. Chas

Let's see for a moment,......
    State funds here have suffered a 10% cut across the board, more patrolmen layed off, that's after a 4% cut earlier in the year.
    Unemployment has risen by 7,000,000 nationwide, homes dropping into foreclosure every day, emotional stresses of the stability of family incomes, job stresses taking tolls on personal well being and family well being, street lights being turned off to save money, security guards agetting layed off,.....I guess I'd have to say yes, the threat of crime goes up in a down economy,...so what's new Jack?

October 14, 2009 at 4:56 pm |
  70. Tracy

Of course crime is a greater threat. "It's the economy, stupid." When there is stress about finances, it is felt by all family members. People will put up with a lot of "political correctness" nonesense when times are profitable or comfortable. Take away their ability to earn a living and all hell breaks loose. More theft, more murder-suicides, more violence. That's why congress should concentrate on the economy. They need to shelf the health care reform, and put a sock in it regarding the cap and trade. WE CANNOT TAKE IT.

October 14, 2009 at 4:57 pm |
  71. Tom

Not to me. To the radical right however the blame will fall squarely on Obama. Afterall he is the root of all evi in thir eyes.

October 14, 2009 at 4:58 pm |
  72. Paul L. Ransom

Of course not.....

October 14, 2009 at 4:58 pm |
  73. Paul Revere

Absolutely, especially if you consider the crimes against our constitution and way of life that Obama and the Dems are trying to foist upon us...

October 14, 2009 at 4:58 pm |
  74. Erik from Minnesota

I decided to purchase my first gun: a subcompact pistol. I acted responsibly and attended a class on how to use (or not use) a firearm. In my class there was an elderly couple, an employee who was told to learn how to use a firearm, and a guy that simply spooked me. I don't know whether to be brave or scared.

October 14, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  75. Fred in Los Angeles

Both crime and homelessness are on the rise thanks to the deficits being run up and jobs being lost.

October 14, 2009 at 5:00 pm |
  76. Brian, Chicago IL

I think you stated it correctly it is a sign of the economic hardships people are faced with more than anything else . The dow hit 10k today but how many people outside the Stock room floor gave a crap. It didn't stop one foreclosure.

Too much stress and not enough good news to take it away, it's a perfect storm of bad news everyday and the only people doing well are the large corporations that seem to be the only ones getting the help.

October 14, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  77. Delia

Absolutely! If we don't see jobs soon, I expect crime will continue to escalate. People need to eat and if they can't earn money to get food, they'll use some other means of attaining it.

October 14, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  78. Roger, College Station, Texas

No, crime is not a greater threat to my well being than it was a year ago, it is just that there are fewer governmental resources to deal with crime so the American people have to handle more of it ourselves. We have to take more of the risk than we would have a year ago but just as in the 1960's we the people can deal with it quite effectively if we need to.
    Texas and much of the west has always had a tradition of dealing with problems in the old frontier style whether cattle rustling and horse thieving or bank robbers, Bonnie and Clyde and many others lived in Texas and died in Texas, or what ever.

October 14, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  79. Doug, New Jersey

Hmmn, if we look at the areas with the most violent crime, well gee what do they all have in common?

Why they are all areas that continually and blindly vote Democrat election after election.

People carry guns in stores and on the streets in red America, yet it never results in innocent lives taken, in fact in defends people. Yet, in Obama's community organizing grounds of Chicago, people are being beaten to death with 2 X 4s, just like other blue areas that have voted Democrat non-stop for decades.

I know Jack that you don't want to really address the issue, you will ignore this for sure. If you did want the answer it is here, blue needs to act like red and there will be less dead. Rape/Murder/Theft/Auto Death, please check out red counties of America Vs. blue counties, the truth will set you free.

October 14, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  80. Mike

Crime is always going on-for every gruesome story you hear, there are thousands you don't. I lost my job earlier this year, and though I was lucky enough to find another one, job instability is a far greater threat to my well-being than crime. And I live in Washington DC!

October 14, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  81. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Well...we got this year that we are the second city for violence after another big city. And our city mayor who has not manage to get the police convention renewed is proud to say that it is costing us less...pathetic!

October 14, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  82. ja

small town usa is burden with murders related to meth use, New Hampshire , rural towns across America on any day, or the sophisticated Ivy league schools, America has glorified violence, tv, video games, even invading Iraq without just cause (WMDS)

October 14, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  83. Norm

I don't think so personally. However I see the rise in teen age crimes as a scary reality cechk for our society. Our sentencing laws are a joke. Time off for good behavior? If they behaved "good", they would not be behind bars. Parole should be done away with. You get 5 years, you serve 5 years.

October 14, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  84. Ralph Spyer chicago Il

Are their more people out of work than a year ago?

October 14, 2009 at 5:08 pm |
  85. Dan

I never feel save in this country and I never will
    is obvious with our economical crisis the crime is raising and it will continue to do so..

October 14, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  86. Jim

Jack,

No. I’m lucky enough to live in a rural area and a community where crime is very low.

Jim
    Reno, Nevada

October 14, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  87. Jackie in Dallas

Let’s see if CNN can manage NOT to lose this response…

The biggest threat to my well-being is lack of a decent health care option, Jack. Now, I’d happen to call that a crime, as I’ve been a taxpaying, voting citizen of this country for 41 years, but obviously that wasn’t what you meant!

Violence begets violence. I wonder how long it will be before our "toy" companies, TV and movie producers, and writers will get that through their thick skulls. We think sex is obscene but violence is OK - other countries think violence is obscene while sex is OK. Guess which countries have the lower crime rate?

October 14, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  88. Todd in Madison, WI

The crime I am interested in is the theft of our future as a country, and of our childrens' inheritance. But in terms of the crime you are talking about, I haven't noticed much of a difference, although I have fired more employees for theft in the last few months than in the prior 10 years.

October 14, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  89. Ken in NC

Yes crime is a greater threat now because there are many more crooks in Congress more concerned about themselves than us than ever before and they can pass laws to make their crimes legal.

October 14, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  90. Larry in California

Crime, terrorism, lazy and inatttentive workers, rapacious corporations, hateand fear mongering demagogues, philandering celebrities, unemployment, people making money off their dead relatives, people who claim they put country first but oppose anything that doesn't serve their narrow interests, media pandering, lobbyists, religious bigotry, misinformation campaigns, people proud of their ignorance and xenophobia, loss of stature and influence in the world. I guess crimes up, Jack, but it's kind of gets lost in the crowd.

October 14, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  91. Marcy from Florida

Hi Jack,

I work at the Broward County Jail as a nurse. I find that crime is increasing and the criminals are younger and younger. There are also more Hispanics getting arrested than there were two years ago.

As for the Deerfield youngsters: They are a good reason why these mothers shoulld have chosen abortion, kept away from liquor and drugs and kept a good eye on these thugs.

October 14, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  92. Thom Richer

Until the working men and women of this country are once again working and earning a liveable wage, crime will only become more of a threat than it was a year ago or yesterday. Until violence is no longer treated as entertainment, until plea bargains are eliminated, until punishment for a crime is administered fully and consistently, until morals and ethical standards are once again a part of the American family, and until respect of others, their belongings and their beliefs manifest themselves in our daily lives, crime will continuely be a greater threat. Count on it.

Thom Richer
    Negaunee, MI

October 14, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  93. Heather, Buffalo,NY

Crime is definitely more prevalent in society than it was a year ago. There have been significantly more shootings in my suburban neighborhood, and gun-point robberies at my college campus. Gone are the days where I can walk freely without concern of being robbed or having my car broken into.

October 14, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  94. Martha

You bet Jack that crime is worse. I live in a small town in Oklahoma. Last Summer and Fall, our quiet residential street was peppered with gunfire in 3 drive-by shootings. It scares you when this kind of thing hits home.

October 14, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  95. eric -hampton VA

Gun control is hitting your target jack. As for the kids laughing about the child being burned need to be forced to volunteer @ a burn unit @ a hospital to see the result of their actions. And the judge needs to throw the book @ the parents and I hope it its them in the eye.

October 14, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  96. Mike

No. Crime is not a bigger concern to me than it was a year ago. Big government and runaway spending are much bigger concerns.

October 14, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  97. Brittany McGuire (Columbus, Ohio)

When a sheriff deputy, one sworn to protect the public, frauds his own department and surrounding community by stating he has brain cancer, gets caught, and commits suicide when police come to arrest him, and autopsy proves he was not cancerous I'd have say yes to that.

October 14, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  98. Jason

I don't believe so. I do think, however, that the media does a better job at reporting crime, which makes people hear about more of it.

October 14, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  99. Antonio from Washington D.C.

You got kids killing kids, adults raping kids, stealing, beatings, and on top of that, you got this nonsense in schools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CRIME RATE HAS SKYROCKETED SIGNIFICANTLY!!!!!

October 14, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  100. Marion/Birmingham

Sure Jack,any time you have so many people out of work crime goes up. Try it just live with out a pay check for 3 months and you think about stealing all the time. Especially when you see on TV how the Politicians wastefully spend you hard earned Tax dollars,on Pork.

October 14, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  101. Reginald King

Off course the crime rate at the moment is higher than the previous years. Solely, because of the economic status of the country. Most of the correctional facilities don't enough financial capability to sustain some criminals. So depending on how long one has to go, majority may get an early release. When they get to the real world, ECONOMIC STATUS hit them hard, and guess what? It's back to crime. And the cycle goes on and on, until the economy gets back to normal.

October 14, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  102. Gina

Yes Jack. To be honest, I believe when the right to discipline our children got taken from us, children became unmanageable. I'm not speaking of beating a child, but a good swat on the backside sure did deter me from misbehaving and I turned out just fine! Let me discipline my child so the public system doesn't have to later!

Mom in Kansas City

October 14, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  103. Aaron Camp

Jack, I'm from the small town of Westville, Illinois, and all I have to do is watch the local news to find out about murders occurring in very small town, such as Beason, Illinois. Nowadays, nobody can leave their doors unlocked and feel safe because of idiots that think Obama is going to take their guns away (which is 100% false).

October 14, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  104. Phil, Georgia

Crime has always been increasing. We had those Columbine shootings and all of those copy-cat shootings, Jena six, dc sniper,exc.
    Hopefully, this is not a reference to having a Black president,,, as Limbaugh has stated about "Obama's World"

October 14, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  105. Edward

No, I just moved to rural Maine after 30 years in the southwest. I rarely lock my car and often step out to the store leaving the doors to my home unlocked. When I lived in LA I would lock and club my car when I'd go into a 7/11. That was after having two cars stolen. Best move I ever made! My biggest worries are running onto a skunk when I walk in the woods and hitting a deer when I drive. Sure beats muggers and drive by shootings.

October 14, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  106. Luis

Yes, I know of two people directly living in average income housing robbed within a month at home while one at gun point. While before I never heard of such instances hitting close to home.

October 14, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  107. David Butler

Your article on crime begins with a strange comment. 74% of Americans percieve that crime is worse than a year ago. Is this based on any hard data? Perhaps 74% of Americans feel this way because they get news that doesn't give them real facts about crime, simply perceptions. Stop stirring up fears without giving us real data to go on. Give us the facts and let us decide if we should be afraid.

October 14, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  108. E. F. Pionkowski

Of course crime is up. And of course applications for concealed carry permits are up as well. How long does it take to dial 911 and get a respsonse compared to actually being prepared to defend yourself? It's not rocket science. The government cannot make you safer but you can if you are will to take the responsibility for your own defense..

October 14, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  109. Bruce - Delaware

yes; The criminal CDC is out of control fear mongering their toxic vaccines on the public -while reaping obscene profits with government protection. It is a criminal enterprise.

October 14, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  110. Joe

Jack,

I went to Miami Police station (Miami PD) to pick up a police report because my house was broken into, and upon walking in the door I noticed there was a 3 hour wait. The other people in line were picking up reports for their burglarized homes as well. Times are changing...

Joe
    South Florida

October 14, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  111. Michael and Diane Phoenix AZ

Considering how Phoenix draws those drug cartels from Mexico...YES! No matter what people think of Sherrif Joe Arpaio, at least he tries to stem the tide.

October 14, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  112. Renee McColl/Charlotte NC

Crime is likely up - quite frankly, I feel more threatened by the incredible increase of people driving moving vehicles while talking on cellphones and texting. I have been rear-ended once by a texter - in addition, on a daily basis, have witnessed people running red lights, ignoring traffic signs, etc. ALL while texting or talking. Crime is a concern no doubt - but this is an epidemic that could be controlled in all states.

October 14, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  113. Myrtice

Jack, I do feel less safe today than a year ago. It seems that there is much more killings in the homes and on the streets, It seems that there is a sense of meaness and disrespect of any one any age,
    It seems to be getting much worse.

October 14, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  114. Remo from beautiful downtown Pflugerville, Tx.

Jack, no it's not. The problem is that the average person is clueless when they go out. They walk right into situations that they could have avoided. It doesn't take much to look around when you're walking or driving. If something doesn't look right, LEAVE. The problem is that so many people are glued to cell phones that they'd walk into burning building without noticing. It's a persons responsibilty to look out for their own safety. Not many people are proactive, just reactive and by then it's too late.
    If your neighborhood isn't safe, it's your neighborhoods fault. Why aren't you calling the police, reporting crime, being involved?

October 14, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  115. Danny Mckinney, Texas

No. But then again I carry a concealed handgun and have for years. The bottom line on crime is this Jack. No mater how bad or how good things are in the economy there is always the chance that someone out there wants what you have. You can either chose to be a victim or you can chose to have a plan for survival.

October 14, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  116. Patricia/Georgia

Yes it is and the recording artists along with loss of parental control has been a major factor. The recording artists who talks about street crime and glorify it and praise those who do not "talk:"have an enormous influence on these boys. The games on the computer and in bars all show violence in ways we cannot imagine. It seems that they feel it is o.k. to be "bad" as they say. There are some recording artists who are now getting involved in trying to get these kids in school. I say arrest their parents and get them involved when they ar picked up on a school day. If they have to miss a days work they will get after their kids and the fathers need to become more involved as President Obama and Bill Cosby have said. Parents need to step up their discipline and we probably need more cops. Also, longer jail terms for those who commit crimes like the burning of another human being. Let's stop feeling sorry for these 17 year olds and come down hard on them. Fear is a great motivator.

October 14, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  117. Greg Robinson, Frankfort, KY

In my neighborhood, two doors down from me is a foreclosed house. Across the street, another one. Most of us here are in the same boat – we're just trying to survive in the midst of tough economic times. So everyone knows that the other person doesn't have anything either, and no one bothers to break into another's home because they know anything of value probably has already been sold off to pay rent or buy food. The best deterrent to crime is to not have anything.

October 14, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  118. kate saunders

Teenage crime and violence.
    No small wonder.
    Take a a fresh look at all the network television shows that push buttons on killing, guns and maiming.
    This is entertainment?
    What kind of message are we sending to our youth?
    Clean it up.

October 14, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  119. Connor, Michigan

It's not that there is more crime, it's that the crime is more extreme. Kids used get in fist fights until someone gave up or had a bloody nose, now it doesn't end until someone is in the hospital, or worse dead. It wouldn't be like this if we actually had hard laws that actually scare people, of course the anti-death penalty groups wouldn't be very happy.

October 14, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  120. David

Yes, everyday there's a police car with blaring sirens going by my house. I hear it more than the hourly bell down the street. But it's alright. As long as Obama leaves my guns alone, nobody'll be getting through my door, uninjured, that is.

October 14, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  121. Nathan

Well, if murders are rampant in the Chicago area, its just as well that we don't have the Olympics there. It would hardly paint a good picture of us as a host country.

October 14, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  122. Will

Desperation and unemployment combined with the role models from AIG, the Fed and our Congress is definitely making crime an acceptable alternative to accepting poverty for many. I have changed my lifestyle to account for it.

October 14, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  123. Flyingwolf, Manchester NH

Crime is worse. My own city, Manchester, NH, used to be practically crime-free. Now there are a lot of places you can't go because of kids running wild. There's also a lot more drugs. There wouldn't be so much crime if druggies were neutered and unable to produce more druggies.

October 14, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  124. Rance

No Jack. Even the criminals know that everyone is broke.

October 14, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  125. Gary - Woodhaven, Michigan

As long as we continue to raise our children from in front of game consoles and televisions, where self esteem and self worth is measured in how many hookers you can kill, and how badly you can pummel an opponent, crime and violence will become a way of life for many in this future generation as this is what is being learned from early ages.

It is time we all rise up, teachers, parents, clergy, media, and rediscover the positive energy in us all and begin to teach today's youth self value.

October 14, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  126. Don

I must be sleeping or something since I have not noticed any change in crime levels... and I live in NYC.
    Where is the proof?

October 14, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  127. Don Jones

I am a firearms instructor in Nassau County, Florida. Last weekend we has 18 people go through our courses to get concealed weapons carry licenses. The numbers of people here getting these licenses are astounding. Every one expresses a fear of being attacked. When I go to Jacksonville's concert hall downtown I go heavily armed because one of the neighborhoods west of there is the fourth deadliest in America. Imagine listening to Mozart while carrying a .357 magnum.

October 14, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  128. Gene

It is definitely up in my small town in Texas-2 rapes an a murder in the last 6 months

October 14, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  129. Joe in VA

I retired to the small rural town in which I grew up and have been back about 10 years. Crime here is still not a major issue here but it is clearly increasing. To me, the reasons are obvious. The use of illegal drugs is likely somehow connected with well over 50% of crime, whether it is gangs fighting for market share or people stealing to support a habit. The economy – unemployment here is is over 14%. Add to that the steady market of violence and sex that passes for entertainment in TV, the emphasis on the deviant and perverse by "reality" shows, and the ACLU's campaign to destroy any vestige of faith based morality (Christian, Jewish or Muslim) in this nation and the results are easy to see. It's a perfect storm in which violence can grow.

October 14, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  130. james in monroe louisiana

Jack, continuing to hear about stories such as that 15-year old boy in Fla is what's a threat to my well-being. When you hear about stories like that, sometimes it seem that God should've went fishing on the 6th day!

October 14, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  131. joan

Yes! I blame the hate spewing republicans ( It has got to stop) things will only get worse.

October 14, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  132. Ethel Landers

Crime may be up but it seems to me that people are watching out for each other more. My friend and I just flew across country for a funeral. Two middle-aged women alone in airports, hotels, driving on highways etc. Seemed to us people were kind, attentive and extremely helpful. I think the down-tern in the economy has caused people to get back to basics and that includes being one's brothers keeper.

October 14, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  133. Doug

It's cause and effect: Cause there are no jobs in Michigan, people do what they must to survive, I don't like it but that's the effect of joblessness
    on people. Michigan needs jobs.

October 14, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  134. Roger King

Absolutely, and as a consequence, I have taken my personal security, and that of my family, into my own .40 caliber hands! Armed with a Sig Sauer, concealed carry permit and a strident resolve to protect my life, my family and my possessions, I quietly and stealthily await interlopers, transgressors, thugs and other miscreants that are routinely spit out of the Criminal Justice System with nary a slap on the wrist!

October 14, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  135. Shawn Latif

My answer to your question would have to be an unfortunate yes Jack. Our world is being mislead and misguided by these acts of violence displayed on our televisions, in video games, and in the lyrics of the songs the majority of people listen to. These kids take it too seriously and act out as a cry for their existence in society. They need help and they need it fast.

Chicago, IL

October 14, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  136. M C Dougherty

I believe that one's exposure to criminal elements is very situationally dependent. If you stay out of high crime areas and keep your personal affairs legitimate and honest, you're far less likely to be in danger. That said, however, there have been two burglaries very close to my home in the past week, and I live in an established, affluent area. Perhaps it's coincidence, but for the first time in my life, I'm beginning to doubt my own personal safety doctrine.

October 14, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  137. Larry Kaminer

I feel it is. Desperate folks do desperate things. More unemployment means more depression and more self medicating with drugs and alcohol. Domestic violence is up and it seems home invasions are too. It maybe part perception, but my feeling crime is up.
    Larry
    Seattle Washington

October 14, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  138. Randy from New Jersey

When the government does not give people free health care people will start robbing and killing. You can't blame people for being extremely angry at their health insurance providers.

October 14, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  139. JACK - LAS VEGAS

Regarding your question: "Crime a greater threat to your well-being than a year ago?"

In public my Glock 40 Cal. and carry permit and my AK 47 and Semi Automatic shotgun at home all say NO!

October 14, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  140. Brian J

Crime is up, and getting worse by the year. I think it's time to make the punishment for a physical crime be the same as the crime itself. If you beat someone with a bat, well, that's your punishment.
    The mental maturity of mankind in general is deteriorating, it's time to take severe action.

October 14, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  141. Eric

Jack,

It's not just the amount of crime, but how horrible people treat each other nowadays. Certain people feel like they can't gain respect unless they are tough, brutal, or carrying a weapon...which leads to crime. What happened to gaining respect by being respectful to others? If you're a young kid good luck finding a solid role model today...because there aren't to many parents who are.

Eric

October 14, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  142. Jason, Koloa HI

Not to me because I have almost nothing to steal. However I have seen an increasing number of tourists here in Hawaii who are being robbed at an alarming rate. You’ll never here about it on the news because it is bad for tourism, but Hawaii has one of the highest crime rates in the country. Thankfully, we also have the lowest murder rate, so although you are very likely to have something stolen from you it is doubtful you will get murdered for it.

October 14, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  143. Troy R.

Ask me later after the next few upcoming rounds of forclosures and bankruptcies.

This is all President Obama's fault somehow, right?

October 14, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  144. Brandon

Can't say I've seen much of a difference in the past year. Maybe if I move to D.C.... And people think Alaskans are crazy...

October 14, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  145. Mike, canada

Any indication to what you see on tv plus all the stats of violent crimes on the rise....very much so!

October 14, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  146. travis

Crime has always been a threat, but now city, state, and national budgets are spread too thin on things such as fighting terrorism, unemployment benefits, etc. With the bad economy, people are resorting to crime and others are more frustrated and thus more likely to engage in criminal activity. The problem is growing but it seems everyone is too busy working on other stuff.

October 14, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  147. BARRY PITTS

Hey Cafferty, listen up, if we pull the troops out of Afghanistan and Irag, maybe the smartest thing that President Obama can do is use the troops over here to fight crimes committed by our innercity youths and gangs. We have a war going on over here. Is anyone listening? Does anyone really care? I don't think so.
    Barry

October 14, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  148. Brian Smith PhD

Although it is creditable that when times are hard crime goes up because people are desperate. But further, spending trillions on wars overseas had taken its toll on funding for local and regional law enforcement. In my neighborhood we are minus two beat cops because there wasn't enough money to pay them. What good is fighting for our freedom overseas when some thug puts a bullet in my head right here at home?

October 14, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  149. Bill

Yup and it will get worse...

Change you can believe in

October 14, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  150. sandra hattiesburg ms

why yes most of these crimes is been done by teenagers If parents don't get a handle on bringing their childern up with simple respect for others and do the right thing I't will only get worse as a day by day event this is not a job for the gov. it time for the parents start being parents again like it was when I was young we will be the one getting our ass whip if we did the wrong thing those days got to come back in our cities.....

October 14, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  151. Jamaal B Kansas City

In Kansas jack People are getting killed everday there are no jobs and the people that use to have jobs have been laid off .I love Obama Jack but we ain't seen a stimulas package here Crime is getting outing out of control and it is way up from las year!

October 14, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  152. John, a veteran

Teen crimes will continue to go up as long as Hollywood produces horror films and video games give points for shooting people. What parents can do in the meantime is limit TV viewing, movies and video games to those that are wholesome and get other parents to take a stand also.
    Parents must not give up on their teenagers.
    Hollywood is poisoning our kids. We need to be vigilant and fight back.

October 14, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  153. Al Granizo

It seems that most of our current crimes are perpetrated by teenagers. Everyone asks why this is happening?; where does this behaviour in teens coming from? These are no-brainer questions, Jack. When we were kids, if I did something wrong, no matter how small, our dad would smack us on back of the head like Gibbs on NCIS. We learned while growing up an understanding of how we should behave in a gregarious world. Now, however, kids are allowed to get away with anything and everything because parents say "they're only children and if we spank them they'll lose their self-esteem". BOLONEY!! That parental attitude has given them the belief that they can do anything, not really knowing what is right or wrong. Listen to the comments of parents after their kids shot or stabbed someone: "Oh no!!! My child would never do that- he's a sweet child!!" Look to the parents! They are the ROOT of the problem.

October 14, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  154. shirleyamodio

Jack,
    Yes crime is bad all over the Us today and it's only going to worse, But the worse crime is whats going on up there in washington DC, Now that's where the real crime is, And they get away with it, makes me sick, But there again Money talks, If you have any after losing most of our 401's and all our tax money being given away to companies that really don't need it! There's not enough to give SS a cost of living increase. Crime it hits home hard and fast, More money should be spent on new cops & services, Just not keep giving it to banks and car makers! We can make our cities work again with the use of our good hard earned tax dollars going where they belong.

October 14, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  155. Nick Del Monte

Yes it is. Everyone wants to blame it on everything but the real reasons behind it.... Bad Parenting Jack, simple as that! Proper discipline it seems, is has hard to find nowadays, as a drive-in theater. Teachers aren't allow to discipline, cops are afraid to get tough cause they will make the evening news, and the Parents are too busy with their divorce lawyers! It's time parents are made to parent again, how about charging them with the crimes their kids commit? wonder if tha would open their eyes. When I was a kid , if the teacher called home because of my bad behaviour I had to face major consequences from my parents.... let alone what they would have done if the police brought me home! parents need to wake up or be accountable.

October 14, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  156. Carole-WPB

You're darn right I'm scared. Though I live in a gate-guarded community, have a security system and a noisy dog, living in S. Florida is scary. I won't go to the super market, gas station or malls after dark. I never park in a parking garage always opting to valet or an open lot. At night, I avoid side streets. It's not just teenage gangs or drig dealers one fears here, Many of the sociopaths have sworn to Protect and Serve and having both badges and guns. One women was stopped by one of our "Finest" stripped and raped! You really can't tell the "players without a score card."

October 14, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  157. Kevin

Jack,
    Here are the facts where Ilive in Augusta, Ga. Armed robberies, home invasions and murders are up significantly. Even more disturbing is the number of incidents where criminals have shot at police, led them on high speed chases and, all too often, gotten away. It seems it is happening on an almost daily basis. So the obvious answer to your question is YES! Just a note to those crooks, there are many people like me who are VERY prepared to take care of business. One of these days you are going to cross the wrong person. Bullets are cheap and I've got plenty!

October 14, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  158. honestjohn in Vermont

In my little neighborhood. Crime is not an issue. But from the news reports one sees alot of senseless violence.

October 14, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  159. Phyllis G Williams

The Bible was removed from the schools and turned the world into “All Fool’s Day”. God is giving to Man the entire world free-of-cost (Revelation 21: 7) and they go around instead of loving one another,killing one another to get into the Lake of Fire (Revelation 20: 15). The crimes are getting worse and worse every day.

October 14, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  160. Randy T

Yes. All thanks to another republican (namely bush) presidency.

October 14, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  161. Chris - Seattle

Having spent a lot of time living, threatened, in Detroit as well as SE Washington DC as well as spending time in Chicago, Toronto, Indiana, Kentucky and Georgia over the course od 42 years, I'd have to say that crime is about the same and no more of a threat as a year ago. The picture in my mind of the founder of the crips (RIP), writting children's books from prison and now only a few wanna be factions remain, makes me feel as if we've turned a new leaf. The threats that crimes have created relating to, let's say, the drug epidemic (crack) in the mid-80's in Detroit would make you pee your pants. I personally think the only reason a poll such as this is even getting any attention is due to the fact that heinous crimes are no longer inner-city Americas problem and it's spilled over the brim of the cup into all of America. I remember being a kid in Detroit, wondering does anyone care about what's going on here? I guess now they do, since it's on the doorsteps of Columbine, Deerfield, Yelm and other rural American communities. Ideally, since the threat of crime has followed those that have run from it for so long, running to Americas rural and suburbian cities, maybe now we can stop running, thinking we're safe, and deal with the issue once and for all, by addressing the issues of classism and education in America, Good luck!

October 14, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  162. Jason (Medina-Ohio)

Jack,
    I don't believe things have changed too much over the years. No offence, but because of CNN and the 24 hours news networks everything is news. Things that might not have been nationally covered by the Big Three networks of yester year are eagerly covered now to fulfill ratings. However, maybe because of CNN we are now just starting to realize that we are not as safe as we thought we were. Maybe we should think twice before cutting back on our local police force. Better yet, maybe spending 3 or 4 times as much money on a prisoner as we do a public school child doesn't work either? ...I'm just saying 🙂

October 14, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  163. Irony

Obama isn't to blame for this just like Bush wasn't to blame for everything he was blamed for. If the left is in power, the right blames everything on on the left, and when the right is in power, the left blames everything on the right.

People are so frustrating. Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of things that the president can or should be doing to help prevent crime, but that doesn't mean every drive by shooting is his fault.

October 14, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  164. Mike Zierman

My understanding is that our metro area has had the lowest murder rate in deades specifically Minneapolis. I feel nearly 100% safe in our metro area and even in areas of Minneapolis that I would not have felt safe in a year or five years ago. I think that it is unfortunate that this is not true other places, but am thankful for where I am.

October 14, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  165. Yeshiembet Gemaneh

Crime is always a great treat which require an attention; and should be made a great campaign to educate the society throughout the country. In my opinion, it needs a reform to abolish the trend of crime in this country. If one asks, Why all these crime? The answer might be not easy, but require a lot of thinking.

October 14, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  166. JR. Sacramento

Jack,

Not suprised, haven't you heard its Democrat vs. Republican. They are setting the tone.

October 14, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  167. Joseph Carobene

Yes, I do feel that crime is an increrased threat to my safety and the safety of my family!
    The moral strength of our society has softened and we are on a path to a measurable degree of social decay. The judicary has exhibited a remarkable degree of liencency, giving lighter sentences to those convicted of serious crimes. California cannot even afford to retain those who must serve their sentences and so those in charge are ordered to release a portion of the prison population.
    Individuals in our younger generation involved in criminal activity and featured in newscasts, have demonstrated a profound lack of respect for the law. We seem to be too easy on those in our society who break
    established laws. One can only look to Roman history to recognize the decay now happening.

October 14, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  168. Matt

Not only are police budgets being cut, but recreational facilities were closed down for kids. They took away the pools during the summer time for the kids in Baltimore. That just gives you more bored kids, looking for trouble.... Oh, and that whole corruption thing never goes away either.... people with power, just wanting more money.

October 14, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  169. Rick, Phoenix

To me personally... no, not really.

October 14, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  170. Oilengineer Houston, TX

Sure seems like it to me. A $4000 tax on my health insurance and a $3000 tax on my energy making their way through Congress has got to be the crime of the century.

October 14, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  171. Phyllis G Williams

October 14, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  172. Tom, Avon, Me, The Heart of Democracy

Organized crime, often known as the Bush government, has been shut right down. Illegal invasion of privacy, war crimes, politicizing the Justice Department, drugs and prostitution on the taxpayers dime are all behind us. What crime?

October 14, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  173. Kyle

I live in Chicago, in an affluent neighborhood, and crime which was never a big problem here is way, way up. In Lake View East and Lincoln Park strong-arm muggings and beatings are now an almost weekly occurrence. No doubt in my mind it's related to the bad economy. The people committing these acts are coming up from the south side (Obama's neck of the woods), where they've been shooting each other for years.

October 14, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  174. JayKay

Yes! Especially those being committed by people of our elected governing bodies!

October 14, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  175. LUCI - ILLINOIS

No, not where I live. If the hate mongers/ tea baggers keep up spewing crap and lies, than we will all be in trouble. It feels like we live in a third world country when they do that. The IRA needs to quit trying to get guns into all places. I believe in having a gun to hunt with, but not in public places. They have too much power and need to be stopped.

October 14, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  176. Colleen

Grew up in NYC, Inwood Manhattan and my husband from Highbridge, The Bronx. No problem with crime.

Now we're in Newton County Arkansas....got robbed.

Everyone has a gun here. Don't they in NY, they ask. No!

October 14, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  177. Mike from Denver

I think this is proof that parents are not doing their jobs. Spare the rod and spoil the child just might need to make a come-back.

October 14, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  178. Anthony Neal

What a lot of people don't talk about is a large number of the young people commiting these crimes were born in the late 80's and early 90's which was the height of the crack epidemic. What we are dealing with are a large group of people who basically raised themselves with little or no supervision. That's why crime is going up...

October 14, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  179. david doherty

Jack I would say YES! Which would explain why I, just a couple of weeks ago purchase some buckshot to keep around the house. I don't hunt deer, just upland game birds, but I figured that when it comes to the buckshot, I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. It's funny when I went in to the gun store I was walking with a cane (I have MS). The man helping me thought that I hurt my leg, I explained to him about the ms, and how I can nolonger run or fight, but I expect too be able to pull a triger for many years to come!

Dave from NH.

October 14, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  180. Amanda

I do believe that juvenille crime is particularly on the rise. I also believe that it is not due to the sluggish economy; but to the lack of parenting. Many children today lack good role models who truly care about them and care for them. They turn to gangs, drugs, and violence. If President Obama really wants to help this country he will crack down on drugs and deadbeat parents. Stop encouraging irresponsible people to have child after child by increasing their welfare benefits with each birth. Also how about making it mandatory to be tested for drugs if you wish to receive government aid. Positive for drugs..no check. Children deserve so much better...I could go on and on....

October 14, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  181. Ron in Rochester New York

Jack,

Crime doesn't affect me anymore today than it did last year. The reason is quite simply because I live in a rural village outside Rochester and the people that live in this area have managed to hold onto their jobs. At some point a light has to go on in Americans heads and we'll realize as a nation that crime is a social economic problem. Crime is going to go up in economically difficult times. Since we can't prevent the economy from fluxuating, we have to address the other underlying factors, namely education and mentoring for at risk youth. I firmly believe that we need education reform in this country far greater than we need health care reform. If this government is hell bent on interveneing in the citizens lives, start early and get children into organized pre-schools and follow up with longer school days and better trained educators. Crime will never go away completely, but it will subside significantly with a more intelligent citizenry.

October 14, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  182. minnie

And now how about the bill to give all illegals access to our way of life. Just legalize them and give them social security and the works. Pay their tuition which the citizens do not get.
    That Chicago gang is sure messing up our way of life and lying about it every step of the was. DC is just a bunch of thugs.

October 14, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  183. Teso, CA

AIG ain't complaining. . . Jack.

October 14, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  184. julia a exley

Not much of an increase in my neighborhood but there is in identy theft. It happened to me in July and it is terrifying. These people were able to access my bank records and stole $10,300.00. They even got into my CD and my social security number. Fortunately I had 2 protection programs thru my bank, so I got my money back. Now I also have euifax and another protection program for my computor. Spent hours on the phone with the fraud people. Now the FBI and US martials are on the case. Two more women were scammed by the same people. Their headquarters seem to be in Nigeria. Tell all your listeners to get this protection. It is very inexpensive and well worth it. Judy in Virginia

October 14, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  185. Vance

What is the deal with radical Americans these days? Elect a black president, and fear strikes at the hearts of true racists. To them, Obama is the root of ALL of our problems. The truth is that the same radical thoughts and radical actions fuel hate and crime. Of course crime rates go up when stress is put upon the American people, but haven't you seen the government trying to correct the economy?

October 14, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  186. Claudia - Illinois

Oh yeah...crime is up... White Collar and Thugs, but don't blame this on the President. The people who were earning a living in shady businesses, now have to find other ways....it is pretty hard now to find any more suckers for their schemes...those suckers have lost it all.

Still and all honest people are still out there and surviving....we just don't drive Mercedes or BMW's. No one wants to steal our beaters and we don't have much bling to kill for.

October 14, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  187. Barb - Arizona

YES indeed. For anyone to believe different they have to be a fool. We are not safe outside of our homes, inside our homes . What the hell has this country come to?? When the media gets info from the Governents, Feredal or State, saying things are getting better, thats CRAP. I for one know different and refuse to to brainwashed by them, You can see where I reside, need I say any more????

October 14, 2009 at 5:42 pm |
  188. Robert W, North carolina

Not really, but I live in one of the larger cities in North Carolina. We always have to watch our backs here. It seems gang crime is unaffected by the economy. I think robberies have gone up some.

October 14, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  189. Sorensic

Of course it's higher after what Bush did to the economy. What we need is to do increase gun ownership and concealed carry permits in every state.

October 14, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  190. Dex Houston TX

Of course crime is up Jack, do you honestly think that the ONLY people buying up all of the guns and ammunition are honest people. Think again....
    Dex
    Houston TX

October 14, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  191. Brenda R. Harris Saginaw, Mich.

I live down the street where a nine year old was shot in the head while he slept a baby was shot in a car. Well, it all boils down to this.NO GOD,NO RESPECT,NO JOBS.

October 14, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  192. Bob

Want to see a rise in crime? Come to south Texas and you will see it. That idiot Governor Perry talks about succession. Welcome then to the third world country of Texas!

October 14, 2009 at 5:45 pm |
  193. Nancy, Tennessee

The economic difficulties are not completely to blame for the increase in crime. As our world was turned upside down with the banks going broke and the stock market crashing, the drug users have gone unchecked. Most crime in my part of the country can be traced to someone addicted to crack cocaine or other drug. The war on drugs during the last nine years has failed miserably. More and more people are on drugs and law enforcement is doing little or nothing to rid our society of the drug dealers or users. Its time that President Obama tackled this problem. We need a new drug counter attack because "Just say no" isn't working.

October 14, 2009 at 5:45 pm |