October 13th, 2009

Do you believe Hillary Clinton won't run for president again?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said "no" three times when asked if she will ever run for president again. Clinton now works for the man who defeated her in that bruising series of primaries for the Democratic nomination last year. She told NBC News her job as President Obama's secretary of state is great, but "It is a 24/7 job. And I am looking forward to retirement at some point."

If Clinton changes her mind - she would either have to run against President Obama in the Democratic primaries in 2012... or she would have to wait until 2016. She turns 62 this month.

Hillary Clinton is also denying that her voice isn't being heard in the Obama administration... calling that "absurd." She says that it's not her style to try to be the center of attention... and that she believes in delegating power.

Clinton says she wants to be a positive force in enacting the changes that the Obama administration believes in: "But that doesn't mean it all has to be me, me, me all the time."

Of course - we've seen many examples of politicians who swear up and down that they're not going to run for office - like president, but things change somewhere down the line. And when it comes to the Clintons and their political instincts... many believe it's a bad idea to ever count them out.

Here’s my question to you: Hillary Clinton says she won't run for president again. Do you believe her?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Timothy writes:
History has shown never count out the Clintons. As she once said, "You will always find me on the front lines of democracy". So – no, I don't believe her. She will run again.

Kevin in Colorado Springs writes:
Does it really matter? After what Obama's doing, there won't be another Democratic president for a long time.

Reid writes:
I am a far, far, far, right-wing conservative and wish she had won the presidency last time!

Linda from Arizona writes:
"Long in the tooth"? Why would you use this hackneyed phrase on Hillary Clinton? She's only 62. Was crypt-keeper McCain "long in the tooth" at 72? Your sexism is showing again, Jack.

E.J. from Tacoma, Washington writes:
She's getting more coverage being Secretary of State than Joe Biden is being V.P. I think she's pretty content the way the cards fell for her. Why would she want to go through that campaigning again only to possibly be let down once more? She'll be getting close to 70 years old in the next race.

Ema writes:
I don't believe her at all. She is a snake. Obama should not have trusted her.

A.J. writes:
I don't know whether Secretary Clinton was telling the truth or not, but I sincerely hope that she runs again. Her millions of supporters — especially younger voters like me — are ready to make history in 2016. By then, Hillary will be ready for a new primary and general election fight, and she'll be stronger than ever.

Joseph from Smyrna, Georgia writes:
Is Hillary going to run for president again, Jack? I guess that depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

Barbara writes:
Yes, I believe her. She looks bored and fed up with politics, as we all are.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Maria Longnecker

I already have my bumper sticker it says:

OBAMA/BIDEN MY TIME HILLARY

Saginaw, Texas

October 13, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  2. frank

I believe her as much as when she took credit for writing the book "It takes a village", I believe her as much as her old law files suddenly showing up on a white house table after months of denial of there where abouts, I believe her as much as..............NO I dont believe her

October 13, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  3. RE Jones

Not, I don't believe she will. She has looked very tired in recent photos and I suspect she is looking for a soft landing into retirement. It wouldn't surprise me if she left after the Congressional elections in November 2010.

October 13, 2009 at 6:01 pm |
  4. Docb

Jack,
    You know this woman for the first time is traveling with her own 'portfolio'! She seems to be enjoying it. She is out from under her husbands limelight and lowlights, come to think of it!

I happen to think it would be foolish for her to run and would never vote for her but she has every right to run!

The question was her telling the truth..if history is any indication the answer would be 'No"!

October 13, 2009 at 6:01 pm |
  5. Mike in SA

By election day 2016 (which is realistically what you're looking at) Hillary will be the second oldest President ever, if elected. The oldest suffered from Alzheimer's during the later portion of his term. She may run for her party's nomination, but she won't run for President.

October 13, 2009 at 6:01 pm |
  6. Jake Honig from Woodbridge, CT

Jack,

I absolutely believe her. I think she will be too old to run in 2016, and she's too smart to run against someone who has already beaten her once. I think we can expect great things from her as Secretary of State, but after that, the Clintons will be finished...that is, until Chelsea comes along.

October 13, 2009 at 6:01 pm |
  7. RJ Hartwell

Syracuse, NY

October 13, 2009 at 6:01 pm |
  8. Joseph

The reason I believe Hillary Clinton will not run for president again is she doesn't wear short skirts and wink when she speaks.

Joe in Delray Beach, Florida

October 13, 2009 at 6:01 pm |
  9. Pat Dugan USMC (Ret.)

Jack,
    Were her lips moving?

Pat Dugan USMC (Ret.)
    Del Rio, Texas

October 13, 2009 at 6:01 pm |
  10. Jacob Amin

Carferty, give Hillary the benefit of the doubt. But she hasn t forget those 18 millions votes, and the the taste is still there. Look at her eyes, all you see is "MADAM PRESIDENT!"

October 13, 2009 at 6:02 pm |
  11. Sue

I do believe her. The 2008 campaign was brutal, so I'm not surprised that she wouldn't want to re-live it, though she would have made a terrific President.

Having said that, this is Clinton after all – even Shermanesque declarations need to be parsed carefully.

October 13, 2009 at 6:02 pm |
  12. Jerry Brown, Angleton TX

Jack, If Hillary did take another run at the presidency, I don't believe she could get her party's nomination. The opporturnity has passed. The republicans or 'publican' party is rapidly learning from the mistakes made over the past 9 years. Since they dismiss the 'democrat' (their word) party as insignificant and not relevant, they will surely put forth someone with substance, who can be tolerated by the majority of Americans. Such a nominee would not be Sarah Palin. Hillary knows this and I just don't believe the Clintons will take the chance to destroy whatever legacy they feel they have.

October 13, 2009 at 6:03 pm |
  13. Andrew MacDonald

We can only hope she does!

October 13, 2009 at 6:03 pm |
  14. Zach Vogt

While I believe Hillary Clinton would make a fine president, I don't think she will run against Obama in 2012, that's just absurd. She will be nearing 70 in 2016, and it isn't just all politics with her. She is human, and she is getting old. Hillary has every right to look forward to retirement, she has done her part in changing the world.

October 13, 2009 at 6:03 pm |
  15. Leo

I believe she's not interested - right now. But I'm sure 2016 will be a different story. Many Dems will be rallying for her to run, and 8 years of experience as Secretary of State will give her added credentials. I think she was a viable candidate last year and will still be one in 2016, so I'm hoping she reconsiders (unless someone even better is waiting in the wings).

Cleveland, Ohio

October 13, 2009 at 6:03 pm |
  16. Judy

I hope she does run. I would like to see a female president in my lifetime.

October 13, 2009 at 6:03 pm |
  17. Mark in Chicago, IL

Unless something really untoward happens in Barry's world, she's not going to try to primary Obama. Slide it out 4 years past that, and I think she's out of the game and onto the lecture and charity circuit with Bill. I take her at her word on this one.

October 13, 2009 at 6:04 pm |
  18. Emma, San Jose CA

At her age, by the time Obama completes two terms she will likely not be a candidate for president.

October 13, 2009 at 6:05 pm |
  19. Judy Green

Yes, I believe Hillary Clinton means it when she says she does not plan to run for president again. However, I also believe if the country is in a critical status at the time of the next presidential election and the issues are such that she feels she can make a significant difference, she will reconsider and do what is best for the country rather than herself. She would be an excellent President.

October 13, 2009 at 6:05 pm |
  20. Layne Alleman

Jack, Since Wall Street and Big Business own and operate this country, not our government and ourselves, what the heck difference does it really make whether Hillary Clinton or anyone else is President (does anyone really call what's happening now CHANGE)????? Layne A. Antioch, Il.

October 13, 2009 at 6:06 pm |
  21. Martha Gross

I doubt she will run again, but the country would be better off if she did and won!
    Martha Gross
    Mt. Shasta, calif.

October 13, 2009 at 6:06 pm |
  22. Bill - Dallas, TX

Not a chance, Jack. The earliest practical time she could run would be 2016, assuming Obama wins a second term. She'll be pushing 70 and that isn't going to play well with voters, or her for that matter. She gave it a shot, came up short and now will move on into a more sedentary political role with her husband (assuming, of course that he doesn't get caught up in more sexcapades in the meantime).

October 13, 2009 at 6:06 pm |
  23. Eugene

She would be a good candidate as a successor to Obama, but 67 is old. She may resign a Sec of State in 4 or 6 years and see what is on the horizon. I voted for Obama but Hillary is very capable. The fact that she appears to be a team player enhances her qualifications in my eyes.

October 13, 2009 at 6:06 pm |
  24. John, Milan, Italy

I certainly hope she'll reconsider and run again in 2012! After billions of dollars wasted in Iraq & Afghanistan, our country cannot afford 2 terms of spendthrift Obama. Literally. Tax & spend is not the answer, and the printing more greenbacks is killing consumers' real income. Obama talks the talk, but when it comes time to walk the walk, he hesitates, looks around, and then just falls down, taking all of us with him!

October 13, 2009 at 6:07 pm |
  25. Yhamla

Hope she would...We need her, nation need her....Is there anyone on national level better than her?

October 13, 2009 at 6:07 pm |
  26. William-José Vélez González

Actually I do. 2016 is way too far and she really does seem to like her job.

Although it would be fun to pit her against Sarah Palin.

Miami, Fl

October 13, 2009 at 6:08 pm |
  27. Sam Page

Barring some unforeseen circumstance, Hillary Clinton will definitely be on the ticket in 2016. Hasn't anyone thought about BIDEN/CLINTON or CLINTON/BIDEN?

October 13, 2009 at 6:08 pm |
  28. Jim

I think that there is a good chance that Hillary will resign close to the mid second year as Sec. State so that she can get the ball rolling on her Pres bid. If however Obama still has that shine of imperfection on him she may opt out, and if she does it will be for good.

October 13, 2009 at 6:08 pm |
  29. Nick

No I don't believe it and don't want to. She is gifted, talented politician who has so much to offer.

Nick
    Baltimore, Md

October 13, 2009 at 6:09 pm |
  30. Ben

She'll do it if and when the time is right. It would take a pretty drastic national mood swing for the Democratic party to run somebody other than Obama in 2012, and it will also take some pretty effective presiding for the Democratic party to be as popular in 2016 as they are now. However, if the next seven years go well, she may have a shot. If she still wants it at that age.

October 13, 2009 at 6:09 pm |
  31. Marena Groll

I believe that she believes it. But under certain circumstances, I believe she should and would run again.

Weston, Wisconsin

October 13, 2009 at 6:09 pm |
  32. Reid

I am a far right conservative and wish she had won last time!!

October 13, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  33. Harley; Las Vegas, NV

I don't think you can ever really believe what a politician says. I personally hope she does run again in 2016. Hopefully Sarah Palin will be the GOP nominee, ensuring a landslide victory for Hillary.

October 13, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  34. nancy-los angeles

I think we'll be looking at Chelsea Clinton coming up through the ranks over the next few elections. Hillary will likely step aside and be her daughter's greatest fan and advocate along with Bill..

October 13, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  35. stewart resmer

she'll run, she'll run...

October 13, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  36. Carla, Wyoming

Yes, I believe her.

Who are you to second-guess her, Jack?

37. Gerry

definitly, she was within a hair of winning it the last time around in '08. and 62 isn't that old. she wouldn't even qualify for Social Security at that point. besides Joe biden isn't a spring chicken either

38. Larry

Is any politician good for their word?

39. joanne

Do I believe Hillary? No, she's a liar–Bill also didn't have sex. The language both of them speak is the same as you and I but the interpretation of the words to them is completely different.

If she's not going to run for President, why is she supporting that idiot we have in the Whitehouse now? She wants to look good is the answer.

Right now, she should be combatting Obama just as the Cheneys are doing, trying to save the country.

40. Adam Simi Valley, CA

I think she must think we are all idiots. If she didn’t have politics she would be lost. She has been noticably absent and marginalized as the country’s “top diplomat” by Obama, and anyone who doesn’t think that rankles her is delusional. She is selffish and egotisitcal and I would seriously doubt that she does not want a shot at redemption in another White House bid. Right now, her legacy is far from what she envisioned it should be. Obama has basked in the limelight internationally, which should have been her turf, and she is no longer a Senator and out of the limelight and public debate on healthcare. She has no way of making a name for herself and cannot be happy with her situation.

41. j hengeveld

Absolutely I believe her. The only way she runs is if Obama gets sick of the republican BS and decides not to in 2012.

42. Reid

I am a far far far right wing conservattive and wish she had won the presidency last time!

43. john in saskatchewan

44. Jacob

I don't want to believe her, because she would make a tremendous President!

With eight years of Obama, and another eight of Hillary, the future of the world would be looking bright!

45. Emmanuel K. Ngati

Your are right, as always. You can never count the Clintons out. In this one, I am not sure if she will run for the office again. I hope and still my wish is that she does run for the office. I believe she would make a great president. I look forward to see her as the First Female President of the United State. I am a great support of her, her husband, and their work they do globally. Go for it HC. The world needs you...

46. Kevin Gandomcar

I think the joke last year was that the only experience Senator Clinton has in foreign policy is walking out on a tarmac during the Bosnia Crises. By 2016 she'll have more sky miles than a Lufthansa Flight Attendant.

Kevin Gandomcar
    Denver, Colorado

47. Emma

I would love to see Hillary Clinton as our President after the 8-year administration of Barack Obama. She would make a great president, and women are favored with longevity.

48. Eshwar

Ofcourse she will run if the right circumstances come up.

Even President Obama initially said he will not run because he was not "experienced" enough!!

But it will be a great shame if Sarah Palin ran in 2012 and ended up as the first female president.

And that's when Hillary will throw in the towel.

October 13, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  49. Brendan

uhhhh... Last time i checked she's just another politician... Can we trust any of them these days?

October 13, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  50. Kevin Regalado

I do believe Hillary Clinton will not run for President since she will be too old. Though, I do believe that she and her husband will remain a strong political force within the Democratic scene. It seems as though the Obama Administration is giving her plenty of international assignments that she has taken up a voice for woman across the globe so I applaud her for her work.

October 13, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  51. Ritwik

Nah, I believe her, she is a cooley cool person!

October 13, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  52. swami bv tripurari

You have set this question up such that we are asked to decide whether or not we think that Mrs. Clinton is a liar. “She says she will not run for President again (’No, no, no’), do you believe her?” I find this kind of question to be disingenuous. You are trying to get people to weigh in on whether or not Hillary is a liar under the guise of something else. Any thoughtful person can understand that one’s choice to run for president is a complex issue. One could answer “No” now and then change one’s mind and say “Yes” in years to come under different circumstances without being guilty of lying.

By the way, I did not vote for her, but I think she would make a good president. Hopefully she could help to improve the state of journalism. It’s become little more than a form of low class entertainment and that is a shame.

Mendocino, California

October 13, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  53. Andres Delgado

Yes, until she says she will run again.

October 13, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  54. Ema

I don't believe her at all. She is a snake. Obama should not have trusted her.

October 13, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  55. Dolores Surprise AZ

Well, it would be very hard for her to run as it is so grueling but I wish she would. She was my candidate last go round and she would be my candidate again should she decide to run. What a different world we would now have if we had had a Clinton in the Whitehouse instead of the Bush years....it's sad...

October 13, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  56. Timothy Julian

History has shown never count out the Clintons. As she once said "you will always find me on the front lines of Democracy". So no I don't believe her. She will run again.

October 13, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  57. ej in Tacoma

She's getting more coverage being Secretary of State than Joe Biden is being VP. I think she's pretty content the way the cards fell for her. Why would she want to go through that campaigning again only to possibly be let down once more. She'll be getting close to 70 years old next race.
    E.J. in Tacoma

October 13, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  58. John Winston Salem, Nc

Lord I hope not. I just registered as a Democrat, I'd hate to have to change affiliations again because of her. The clintons have always come off as too calculating to believe they were ever genuine, and not surving their own needs.

October 13, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  59. Alex, Orange CA

Asking if we believe her in some way insinuates that she owes it to the American people to NOT run again. Hillary Clinton is a savvy, hard-working, and influential figure in American politics. If she chooses to run again it is her choice to do so and many would welcome it. But asking this question this early on seems inappropriate. She has work to do, and I believe that - right now - she has no interest in running.

October 13, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  60. Terry B., Lexington, Ky

Isn't it women who say the loudest, NO MEANS NO!!!! Curious though, when it is a women saying "NO" is that what she means?

October 13, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  61. Sly, from Michigan

Jack, If i ask you to loan me $50.00, would you? That's your answer.

October 13, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  62. Rod Sartwell

Hillary is becoming the "eternal candidate" for most anything going. Her ego will not allow a "not running" posture to prevail.

October 13, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  63. Scott

Unfortunately, I believe her Jack... I wish she would run again but because she is a 'fine tuned' political machine she likely knows her best days will be where she's currently enlisted...

October 13, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  64. Bill Adelman

You are asking the wrong people about this topic. It is up to the news and entertainment networks to choose our public officials. Come on Jack, you still believe we live in a democracy?

October 13, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  65. Isaac

No, she will run again but it does not matter because we need a new party in the nation.

October 13, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  66. Sammy from Vancouver

on my death bed i wont believe her, i know her time will come in 2016 and will definetly run. i wonder who will be her running mate.

October 13, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  67. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

The only way I would believe Hillary won't run for president again is if the designers stop making pants suits.

October 13, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  68. Hassan

Jack:
    I don't believe her one iota. Right now, she must keep the peace because of mutual democratic interests, but later she'll turn on a dime. She loves the attention and she's still got a lot of fight in her. She loves to feel needed.

October 13, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  69. "Dan In Japan" Kaiser

No way. She had her one chance last year. Noone from the same party would dare try to knock out an incumbent, and she'll be too old, older than McCain when he ran.
    Also, she would inspire the republicans at a time when they'll be desparate to return to power. We'll need a moderate Dem to keep the whitehouse.

October 13, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  70. Robyn D.

To have Hillary say that she doesn't like to be the center of attention and prefers to delegate isn't the gal that I have read about for the past 16+ years. She has shown her true colors with hiding documents and refusing to cooperate by sharing personal data that has been requested.

I do believe that she would like to take another stab at running for the office of President of the United States. I do think that she will test the wind and see how forceful the conservatives will be in providing an alternative person with good common sense.

October 13, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  71. Jean Bennett

YES! I believe her. She stated this in 2008 BEFORE the elections. Why would she run with Move On, George Soros personally and all the Kennedys pouring billions of dollars into the Obama campaign purses.

The most intelligent politician in the past 50 years in my opinion, The best Person for the job of President is now Secretary of State. And, ironically, it is a job Obama could never have handled for even one month; while Sec. Clinton could have easily handled either job, like she has been doing since Day One.

I hope I live to see an Intelligent Person sitting in the White House someday. I know Bill Clinton was the most intelligent person in many ways; but Hillary is by far smarter, wiser and more intuitive thanBill.

Sadly, in my lifetime I will never see a Woman in the White House; that is one dream the Obamas stole from my and 51% of the population last year. And, frankly, I will never forgive either of them for the lies, deceit and misinformation they spread about Hillary.

October 13, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  72. Sammy from Vancouver

Mike USA, she wont be too old for that. she is in better shape then a 30 y old. she will run for president and win too.
    Go hillary go lol

October 13, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  73. Brian Smith PhD

Once a megalomaniac, always a megalomaniac. Oh yeah... she will run again. Especially if Condi Rice runs. These people can't resist the power. It is say, like in the George W Bush case… the power was abused.

October 13, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  74. A. Jackson, Philadelphia, PA

No, I do not believe that she will because she would not run against a sitting President Obama. By 2016, she would be too old. She might only reconsider if Obama would choose to not run in 2012.

October 13, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  75. Archer Hamidzadeh

In this day and age, anything is possible for the aging population in this country. I would not count anyone out of his or her ambitions based on his or her age, especially Hilary Clinton whose life is politics. She was determined to become president in 2008 and that ambition has not left her. Nothing will probably hold her back, especially not her age.

October 13, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  76. Ed

Hillary Clinton has always been motivated by power and ambition. She will not rest until she becomes President of the US.

I rather give my vote to Glenn Close (if she ran for President) rather than Hillary.

October 13, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  77. Marion Jones

No jack I don't think that hilley clinton shouldn't run for president! She will no be a good president for are country?

October 13, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  78. David in San Diego

Indeed I do. Why not? The disbelieving position is that she WILL run. What's the basis for making that argument? Just asking the question gives succor to those who disbelieve everything they hear. For shame!!

October 13, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  79. Kyle Sennett

Sec. Clinton faced a good deal of cynicism about her ability to made amends with Obama. She is being diplomatic by making no mention of running again herself. Not to mention that it is taboo in politics to say you're running for president outside the time frame of an election year. A good deal of her campaign apparatus is still operational, and while she is barred from campaigning as a Cabinet member, she still has the most political capital in the Democratic party except the President. Hillary Clinton is also conscious of her personal legacy, so no achievement is really off the table. I personally support Clinton in '08, and would be happy to support her again. Sec. of State used to be considered the "path to the presidency." Maybe it will be again.

October 13, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  80. Patrick

I don't believe she will run again even though I hope she does. She is a hardworking women and is an inspiration to many including myself.

October 13, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  81. Bill Adelman

BTW, each time a reporter addresses Wolf at he beginning and end of their segment, my dog does nuts. She thinks the TV is barking at her. Can you guys refer to him as Wollie or Blitz, anything but WOOF!

October 13, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  82. David Turner

Your comment about Clinton and whether or not we can believe her:
    The Democrats should get their stuff together, see Obama for who he really is, a visionary, a man of integrity and someone who just might be able to change the cynicism that people have for government by getting the job done. In doing so, they should draft a plan that sees Obama mentor Clinton so she can then ba a logical succesor to the Obama style of effective government. If the Democrats want to wield some long term power in the service of making the U.S. as great a place as it is capable of becoming, it seems like a no brainer. She should be groomed and encouraged to run in 2016>

David T,

Halifax, NS

October 13, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  83. Gary - Woodhaven, Michigan

We must all hold out hope that Hillary runs in 2016, as a person of her intellect, integrity, and stature would be not totally realized if she were not to run. I believe she will run in 2016 as this is her destiny.

Heaven forbid that Palin ever gets the opportunity to run for President, but can any of us imagine the entertainment value of a Presidential race between Hillary and Palin?

October 13, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  84. Van Shineski

I don't believe she would run... Call me naive and idealistic, but I really believe that even though some people aren't drinking from the cool aid this administration is serving, one can see that there is a lot of cohesiveness in the administration and what their vision is, of america. With that in mind.... it's difficult to see Hillary running in 2012... or in 2016, when father time wouldn't really be for it.

October 13, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  85. Harpoonski from Texas

Good Lord Jack!! She won’t run again, the party elders will not allow her. You know the Democrats would never field a candidate with more experience, better ideas, more guts and keeps campaign promises against President Obama.

October 13, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  86. Kevin from Colorado Springs

Does it really matter? After what Obama's doing there won't be another democrat president for a long time.

October 13, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  87. Louis

the Clintons are not known to be always upfront with the american people.it would not shock me if Hillary says one thing and does another lets just wait a couple of years and i am sure you'll hear her sing another tune

October 13, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  88. Gordon Daily

I don't think Hillary will run again, but she has no one to blame but herself. She boxed herself in by accepting the position as Secretary of State. (Her ego wouldn't allow her to turn down the offer.) As a part of the administration she cannot knock Obama without risking being asked to resign, which would tarnish her own image. She could run in 2012, but then she would sound hypocritical after serving Obama faithfully for four years.

Whoever on the Obama team thought up offering her the cabinet position made a first class political move.

October 13, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  89. Kathy

Jack, would you? After going through what they all had to endure. You would have to be nuts. I am sure President Obama knew it would be tough but not like this. God Bless him.

Kathy
    Tampa

October 13, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  90. Leah

Democrats can only hope she runs again. Who else will lead the party when Obama has completed his presidential terms? She has the global experience our country needs. She is brilliant and overwhelmingly supported by female voters.

October 13, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  91. Paul Pagano

I believe Senator Clinton accepted her role at State to position herself for a 2012 run. Mainstream America is weary of a President who governs from Center Left and using her husband's game plan, will frame herself as the kind of Centrist who can unite her party, garner independent voters and keep the White House from falling to the Republicans.

October 13, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  92. Debbie B

Jack, I believe her.

I believe she is looking forward to retirement.

I also believe she would have made a terrific president!

I think she is just worn out and not interested in the battle to be a candidate in the next elections.

October 13, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  93. Jerry Melton

Are you kidding–she would run again in a heartbeat if she thought she had a chance, Hillary and Bill both like the spot light too much.

October 13, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  94. osingor

I believe her as she must have realised that age will not be on her side then since Obama will go for two terms.
    She should be satisfied with her current job.

October 13, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  95. John, Fort Collins, CO

The only thing Hillary Clinton ever said that I truly believe is that she will never stay home and bake a batch of cookies. I find it impossible to believe she will ever give up on the presidency.

October 13, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  96. Simone from NY

What makes you think Obama will last until 2012?
    If Hillary runs it will be against Biden.

October 13, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  97. Tony

I believe her; their legacy is secure. Love them or hate them, the history of the Clintons will be taught in schools probably longer than the existence of The Great Experiment...

October 13, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  98. Annie, Atlanta

Of course I believe her. After 2 terms as Secretary of State she will certainly deserve retirement. She and our President have already changed the way the world views us. This is a very good thing.

October 13, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  99. AJ

I don't know whether Secretary Clinton was telling the truth or not, but I sincerely hope that she runs again. Her millions of supporters — especially younger voters like me — are ready to make history in 2016. By then, Hillary will be ready for a new primary and general election fight, and she'll be stronger than ever.

October 13, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  100. David

Of Course NOT, she is too smart to run again

October 13, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  101. Rajan

Two things Jack !! (a) Hilary is a reject and (b) in all probability, you will not see her as Obama's Secretary of State for long !! She looks very worn out.

October 13, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  102. S Callahan NYS

SOS Hillary Clinton is doing a superb job in her current role....she is making more decisions than you can imagine....her tone, temper, tolerance is acting on the stange throughout the world...why , for Heaven's sake, would she now want to be President. She has the role she was destined for!

October 13, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  103. Norm Wright

I voted for her last time and I would vote for her again. However, I can see very compelling reasons why she would decide not to run. The real deciding factors, however, are probably beyond her/our control and include things like the economy, Obama's performance, the Republican's candidate, her health, her husband's health, the global political environment including the state of wars being waged, etc.... I wish her the best regardless; she has served this country well.

October 13, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  104. Debbie in Dallas

She'll be 68 in 2016, too old to win. Obama will run again in 2012 and no one in either party runs against their own incumbent President. It doesn't take much to figure out the poor odds she would face.

October 13, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  105. Adam

Well will there be much of a country once obama leaves office? He is destroying our country, our defense, our freedoms. She may be the next monarch. I guess we shall see.

October 13, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  106. Grant

I hope not.
    One Bush was too much and we got two. Can you imagine what the effect of two Clintons would be? I shudder at the thought.

October 13, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  107. oldtimer

How in the world can anyone with half a brain believe anything a politician has to say. They are the most corrupt beings on earth.

October 13, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  108. Shawn, KY

Yes I believe her. She has a fine record on keeping her word. However, if there is strong reason to support she would be the only chance for the left in the 2016 election, She would not hesitate to step up to the plate to serve her country as she always has. As much as I would love to see her run again, I hope a new strong democratic leader rises from the democratic party, so Hillary may have some much deserved time for herself.

October 13, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  109. Tom Johns

"Do you believe her"? Of course not! Didn't someone tell her not to drink with those guys?

October 13, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  110. Loretta

Hillary was "born to run for President" and she will keep trying until she gets it right. She is more popular now than ever, highly respected by both parties, and still a relatively young woman.

October 13, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  111. L.B.

Yes ! We are gonna need a good person to carry-on the policies of President Barrack Obama.She will see that the Health Care Bill is implemented in good faith !

October 13, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  112. Marnie

I believe her.

October 13, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  113. paul

Hillary is done with elective office, and who can blame her. She could've stayed in the senate for three more terms if she wanted to travel down that road. This stint as Secretary of State gives her a chance to create a worldwide legacy while reporting to just one boss. Whether she's done in three years or in seven, I think we're seeing her in her last major role.

October 13, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  114. Cheryl

If she runs she will get my vote!
    Go Hillary!

October 13, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  115. Erik

Certainly I believe her. The presidential primary loss without going up against a legitimate presidential figure was proof enough that women cannot be elected president in this country; why would she try going up against Obama as incumbent or after 8 years of Democrat control in the Whitehouse? It's very difficult to be a successful president after 8 years of your party running the show; look George H.W. Bush or the late Gerald Ford. 2008 was her only legitimate opportunity, and clearly the country still has gender issues.

A reminder: Obama may be the first African American president, but he is also the 44th white man to be president. He has it both ways, being a change and being the exact same as the rest.

October 13, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  116. george

I can remember voting for bill clitnton, as well as voting against hillary.
    when are people going to realize that most of these people on both sides of the isle have been around much to long.
    seems to me the longer politicians are allowed to loiter in the halls of gov the less that sems to get done and the more corrupt things seem to become.................health care reform anyone?
    I am truly hoping she dosent run,please retire from gov and do the lecture circut hillary.
    it's a time for a new fresh perspective on things,new people and of course term limits.
    george
    chetser,ct.

October 13, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  117. Keith

I have to beleive Ms. Clinton. She has served her country and by every indication has done a very good. I would have no issue voting for her but I believe we will not have that opportunity. Let's move past this one. thanks.

October 13, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  118. Marian Nielsen

I actually do believe Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton that she will not run for President for the same reasons that you stated: the last campaign & XP was very draining, gruesome and not wise for her to put herself through same and perhaps worse next time. Plus the age factor as she will be nearing retirement and should enjoy her retirement with her family.

October 13, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  119. Joshua from Santa Cruz, CA

Jack,

No, I don't think she will run for President. She gave it her best shot in 2008, and nobody can call her a quitter for that. She seems happy being Secretary of State, she is doing a great job at the State Department and maybe, maybe, she will run for Governor of New York some day. But, no, she will not run for the Presidency again.

Joshua

October 13, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  120. Jan Illinois

Jack, After she took the bruising from the media (including you ) and the women of this country who slapped womens rights back to the dark ages and steped all over the future of their daughters and grandaughters, who could blame her if she got out all together. Talk about -- in your own nest !!!!! Pass the TYlenol, Jack.

October 13, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  121. Lenny G

I would have no problem with Hillary running again. Am I the only one who senses Olympia Snowe will be the 2012 Republican nominee? Her resume is impressive.

October 13, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  122. ken de

no i don' t beleive hillary. If palin runs she will run and this time she will beat obama for the nomination

October 13, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  123. Gordon

Lets hope she changes her mind and runs. and wins

October 13, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  124. SteveS

It's hilarious how the obviously conservative commenters on the board poke fun at her "lying" when everything they have, from their primary news source to their GOP platform is built on a foundation of lies.

Pot meet kettle.

(no she won't run).

October 13, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  125. Clinton Fringer

Hillary DESERVED the presidency in this election. I hope she does run in the next election. She got my write in vote and she will get my vote again.

October 13, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  126. EJ in Metro Houston

I believe her Jack. Just look at the way the far right and GOP are treating President Obama right now. Why would she want to go through the disrespect of that? Plus they already don't like her nor her husband and now unlike when the Clinton's were in office back in the 90's they have the likes of Hannity, Beck and Limbaugh to put with and also a more powerful internet for the right to get out their hate filled messages. Why would she want to even do it? I respect her and I think in private she may be saying she's glad she didn't win.

October 13, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  127. John Henderson

Hillary run again in 2016? Sure, why not. Hillary vs. Michelle would be a hoot.

October 13, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  128. Thomas Muller

Do I think she will?..no.
    Do I HOPE she does?...you bet! She is more intelligent than her husband, more compassionate than GW Bush and um..here's a shocking fact..more QUALIFIED than Obama.

October 13, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  129. Bud

I think she'll try. However, I doubt she'll succeed.

October 13, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  130. Bob

Obama has proven to be all talk and as much a lackey of the lobbyists as everyone else. We will not have any of his promises adn he will talk but not throw down the gauntlet. Mayb e this country wants 45000 to die each year because of lack of health care, wants to be the Roman Empir e with hired hands doing the killing. wants to discriminate against minorities, wants to torture adn pursue unapproved wars when not attacked and would reject Hillary, wants to do ethnic cleansing towards it s Native people and for Isreal to do it against Arabs, wants to destroy th e middle class..... If she does not come in in 2010 and Obama remains supported we create and get our own misery.

October 13, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  131. Tom Miller

Why would anyone in their right mind believe anything a politician says, especially on named Clinton.

October 13, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  132. John, North Hollywood CA

2016, yeah. Before that... political suicide.To run against an incumbent from your own party?

October 13, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  133. Bob Smith

Yes. With all the debt the Clinton family has to pay up, they can't afford another Presidential Campaign unless they ask for a government bailout.

October 13, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  134. Mark in Arkansas

Jack, really... have you ever known ANY woman that ends up doing what she says she'll do?

October 13, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  135. roscopwife

While I wish she would I believe she won't.

October 13, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  136. Cevin

Yeah, that's all we need, Clinton to make yet another try for a job she'll never win. Go away Clintons, all of you, go away for good.

October 13, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  137. Bob Kole

Jack,

WIll depend on what happens to Obama over next three years. If Dems lose the house and senate majority in 2010 and Obama continues to just talk a good game the DNC may be begging Hillary to run. If that happens with 4 years as Sec. Of State who would not vote her in?

Bob,

NYC NY

October 13, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  138. Dillon

I believe her that at this point, right now, she has no intention of running. I also believe that if she changes her mind at any point, she will.

Arkadelphia, AR

October 13, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  139. Donna

No, I think she'll sit out on another presidential run. She's served this country for many years and I believe her when she says she's looking forward to retirement...probably volunteering for women and children's causes.

October 13, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  140. Flyingwolf, Manchester NH

I think Hillary Clinton can do whatever she wants. She is the last of the old-time feminists no matter what Bill did. She is not a part of the Barbie generation of what feminism might be. If she feels she can run in 2016, I'll vote for her in a heartbeat. Stuff changes all the time.

October 13, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  141. Aaron, Southern California

I sure hope she goes for it in 2016. I voted for Obama and am happy with what he's doing, but I'm deathly afraid of Biden running for president. I don't think the gaffe machine could possibly win another attempt for presidency, even as VP. Clinton is tough, we need a tough cookie to keep the republicans from screwing up everything we will have worked so hard for when Obama's finished. So far the only 2 dems with a tough spine up for the task is Clinton and that "die quickly" dude. The rest are just too week!

October 13, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  142. Mike L, OK

Hillary not running for President is like a lioness not hunting down its prey when hungry. At first she must lie and wait seeming harmonious with nature in the grasslands of camouflage, but don't be fooled. During the down time it's plotting and scheming the whole time and when she is ready, she pounces on the unsuspecting!

October 13, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  143. Jeff, MI

She won't have to. Obama will win again. Finally, we have a President who is working for all of us, not just the wealthy. And, by 2016, age will not be on her side (look what happened to McCain).

October 13, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  144. Winnatooh Cohen

With a big meteor heading towards earth and predicted to hit on earth before the end of 2012, the election of 2012 would be her last chance to become president. Also the 5th and last long period of 26thousand years according to the Mayan calendar, meaning a closure of 130000 years according to the Mayan calendar, would be by/on 12/20/2012 or December 20th 2012. The November 2012 election would be Hillary's last chance of winning such presidency, also according to the Mayans!

October 13, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  145. jeane

I believe that is her intention today. I also believe she has a right to change her mind later if she wants.

October 13, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  146. Adam

I believe her this time Jack. She needs to have some time just to relax. Unless Obama does something crazy to kill his chances for re-election in 2012, and the democrats need Hillary in 2016, I believe her. I was originally for Hillary, but "then candidate Obama" beat her. She is not young anymore...this was it for herm, and she is not the madam president, so I don't think she will do it again.

October 13, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  147. Rudy

If we are still here, she has ever right to run again or to stay on the sideline and watch like the rest of us as our country crashes and burns! I laugh when people think politicians are truthfull just shows you how stupid we are!! Every politician lies it's just the ones who are better at that win!!

October 13, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  148. Alex

She'll be too old. Whether she runs at age 65 in 2012 or pushing 70 in 2016, being president is a young person's game now. It's one of the reasons why McCain lost. He had the qualifications, but the fact remained that he was simply too old for the job. Look at the people ruling other countries. They're all in their 40s, 50s and even younger. Obama is about the right age for today's era of politics. No offence meant to those older politicians, but the world has changed. Biden is likewise too old to be considered an heir presumptive.

October 13, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  149. Brandon

If she is lying, lets hope she runs against Palin. Heck, think they'd let me film it as a reality TV show?

-Brandon, Kodiak AK

October 13, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  150. Dawn

Let's see...It's not her style to be center of attention and she believes in delegating power?? Yeah, okay. Hillary's mouth is moving, she's gotta be lying. She's a Clinton isn't she?

Dawn
    Kansas City, MO

October 13, 2009 at 6:42 pm |
  151. Tracy

I believe her. She was betrayed by her onw party for the "Messiah". You know that old saying – Fool me once, shame on you – fool me twice, shame on me. Why would she subject herself to the idiots who put Obama in office? The funny thing is, I'm a conservative and would never have voted for her – but I think she got screwed.

October 13, 2009 at 6:42 pm |
  152. Marc

Hillary is out for Hillary, that's true. But she's also out for the Democratic party. My feeling is, unless something happens to Barack Obama, she will NOT run in 2012. There's always the possibility Joe Biden won't want to be Vice President anymore and she could opt for that position. But at the end of the day she will do what's best for the party and that's keeping the Republicans out of the White House.

October 13, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  153. Becker

She should. No doubt she would have known what she was doing had she won instead of the pretender we have now.

October 13, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  154. Pat in San Diego

I believe her. As someone already mentioned, she does look tired. And she's gained weight. I think she'd have more fun writing books and giving lectures. Then she could name her own hours.

Ed said that "Hillary clinton has always been motivated by power and ambition."

I have to ask, is that wrong? Isn't that how you would describe Bill Clinton? Is it ok for a man to want those things, but not a female?

October 13, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  155. Thomas in Indianapolis

She'll run. Maybe do a Ted Kennedy and do it in 2012.

October 13, 2009 at 6:45 pm |
  156. Tyrone

She will, she's to much a attention hog.
    Her voice isn't being heard translates to "They don't do everything I say."

And her not being the first minority president eats at her like parasite

October 13, 2009 at 6:45 pm |
  157. Shaun

I'd vote for her!

October 13, 2009 at 6:46 pm |
  158. Tim from Detroit, Mi

She had her chance, and the best man won. Running against Obama in 2012 is highly unlikely, and running in 2016 when she is 70 is worst than McCain running while he was 80. lol

October 13, 2009 at 6:46 pm |
  159. Cece-CT

I don't agree with many of the leftist policies and ideas, BUT I think Hillary would be a much better President than the one currently serving his term. And if a Dem is going to win in 2012, then I really hope it's Hillary over Obama. Actually, I think anyone with REAL experience would be better than Obama and his lies and INSANE spending. Insane...spending.

October 13, 2009 at 6:46 pm |
  160. Debbie

No, I don't believe she won't run......
    We have the first black american president who's making history and I think Hillary will want to make history as the first woman president; guess we'll have to wait and see.

October 13, 2009 at 6:47 pm |
  161. Clark

Her chance for the presidency has passed. I think her name and experience certainly have given her a strong advantage as Secretary of State, and I could even imagine her as the elder-stateswoman US Ambassador to the UN in the future. The last 3 presidents have been young when elected, and I think the country looks more to a new generation of leaders.

October 13, 2009 at 6:47 pm |
  162. Karen, TN

I believe her. The pain of losing was too great for her to want to do it twice. Besides, she doesn't need the income.

October 13, 2009 at 6:47 pm |
  163. claudia deprez

Unless something should happen to Obama, I don't think she will run, quite honestly, she has a lot of power where she is, and can effect the kind of changes in the world that can make a difference, 12 years of that, and then let the lady retire. thank you !

October 13, 2009 at 6:48 pm |
  164. Mary Calvanese

The moment has passed and Hillary knows that. My hope is that she does her best as Secretary State and Hillary's best is awesome. She would never run against President Obama in 2012 and as for 2016 – well sorry folks but that is too old and before everyone screams, I just turned 70 and I'm telling you the energy just isn't there. Yes there are those who defy the odds but frankly, I hope she makes the right decision and does not run ever again for President.

October 13, 2009 at 6:48 pm |
  165. skeptical westerner

No, I don't really believe her. Barring a health problem I think she will run again.

October 13, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  166. Karen

One of the many problems Hillary had was being considered older by the younger generation. She'll be pushing 70 by 2016. Hopefully, Obama will have screwed up so much Republicans will own the White House by then. Her underwhelming performance last year in a primary season she should've owned will make donors think twice before wasting money on her again.

October 13, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  167. Adam Schneider

I hope she's just kidding around. I wanted her to be President now, but I can wait until 2016.

October 13, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  168. Randy

While I don't believe a LOT of what Hillary says, let's adopt a phrase from Monday Night Football: "C'mon man!" She's not going to run for President. She'll finish out at least one term, then join "the circuit" and write her memoirs and go on the speaking tour. It's about the money, now, and she figured that out the moment she accepted the Secretary of State position.

October 13, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  169. Mike, Dallas, TX

I believe her when she says she will not run again. I voted for her last time and think she would have made a terrific president. However, I also feel that she got the better end of this deal... Secretary of State is an amazing job! She's out helping restore our nation's name to the world and Obama is back here getting hammered on domestic issues. Go Hillary!

October 13, 2009 at 6:51 pm |