October 6th, 2009

Job market beginning to improve?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

The economy is beginning to recover by some accounts, but not in the way that hits millions of Americans the hardest - unemployment. Former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan says the economy will grow more than expected in the third quarter - he expects three percent growth.

But Greenspan points to the "pretty awful" September jobs report - which showed a worse than expected loss of 263,000 jobs. He says unemployment will continue to go up - eventually topping 10 percent.

It's currently at 9.8 percent, which is the highest rate since 1983.

There are estimates as many as 750,000 additional jobs will be lost between now and next March - that would mean almost nine million jobs lost since the recession began in December 2007. But employment is a lagging indicator - meaning the economy will begin to recover quite a while before we see a pickup in the jobs numbers.

All this has President Obama talking about job creation. The administration and Democrats want to extend safety net programs - like making unemployment benefits available for up to a year and a half. They also may propose new tax incentives for businesses to get them hiring again.

Whether any of these ideas will work remains an open question. One Democratic aide said: "There may not be anything we can do."

Here’s my question to you: Do you get any sense the job market is beginning to improve?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Steve from Chula Vista, California writes:
As a California small business owner, I say no. Business is down 70% from 3 years ago and my personal salary down 50%; my employees are getting paid more than I am. I had to lay off 50% of my staff and do not see that we will be doing any hiring any time soon.

Jimmy from Houston writes:
They are extending unemployment benefits and are charging employers more to pay for it. No, jobs aren't going to come back when the government continues to use employers as an ATM machine. Hiring more employees means paying even more to the unemployment insurance fund.

Jerri from Stamford, Connecticut writes:
I believe the job market is improving. There is no "silver bullet." America did not get into this situation overnight - and will not be able to get out overnight.

Dianne from Atlanta writes:
When an establishment like ESPN Zone, a very popular Sports Bar, in Atlanta closed last week after ten years in business, doesn't that say something – especially during football season?

Captain Denise writes:
Yes, even though I have been unemployed since December 2008 and have worked in the luxury super-yacht niche industry, we see definite signs of improvement on the horizon both domestically and internationally. The folks who buy these luxury yachts also are big time investors and CEOs so they must know a thing or 2 or 3.

Vivian writes:
Hi Jack, For those of us out there in the real world, we know the job market is worse than dead. Where are the jobs going to come from? Here in Arizona, even the illegals can't find work. And they work for practically nothing. For those of us who have to pay mortgage, bills, buy food and other essential costs, we are SCARED to death.

Brenda writes:
No. I am unemployed in Flint, Michigan. Hope and change aren’t working out so well for us here. The mantra here is 'last one out, turn off the lights'.

1. Rufus from Twentynine Palms, CA

Jack, I not only live in desert, I live in a virtual employment desert. I lost my contract job a few years ago, and I've not been able to land another job with the only employer here, the Federal government, because I've gotten behind on my child support. The State of California won't even issue me a new driver's license because of the back child support I owe. So, I'm moving to Des Moines to get a job and be closer to my family. I've been perusing the Des Moines employment ads online, and there are apparently dozens of entry level positions there. It looks to me like the job market, at least in Des Moines, is pretty healthy.

October 6, 2009 at 4:55 pm |
  2. Dick B

I believe the job market is starting to grow again. I see China is beginning to build more factories. Now all we have to do is wait around a thousand years until their wages and lifestyle equals ours and then things will be fine. Unless of course we then begin to ship our jobs to Africa and have monkeys make the stuff we buy.

October 6, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  3. kwHudd Tennessee

A factory in Cookeville, Tennessee just shut down, loosing 1100 jobs. A powerful blow to a town the size of Cookeville. And of course there will be dominoe effects from that. People in this area are loosing their jobs and their homes left and right. All of our utilities are going up, I guess to cover the decrease in usage. People with excellent credit and current steady paying jobs are being refused loans for good uses by the banks that we bailed out with millions of our own tax money. How is it possible that I can even comprehend 'improve'?

October 6, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  4. C.K. of Colorado

Not really. I still know many people unemployed who have been searching for work for months with no luck. Even temp agencies are overwhelmed.

October 6, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  5. Denny from Tacoma, WA

How much of the unemployment rate is because of people who simply do not like the jobs that are available?

October 6, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  6. Gwen from Ohio

Jack,

I'm hearing few and few friends tell me they have lost their jobs and more telling me they have found a job. I'm actually seeing helped wanted signs, however I think the jobs that are available are low paying, we need to get our higher paying jobs back from overseas – bring on the green jobs and alternative energy jobs Obama is pushing!!

October 6, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  7. Joseph Buttacavoli

are you kidding.

October 6, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  8. Bizz, Quarryville, Pennsylvania

No I don't think the job market will ever get back to where it was. Most of our manufacturing jobs have left for good for cheaper labor overseas. The days after WWII when we were the only big boy on the block is over. We are becoming a nation of rich and poor with nothing in between. Our economy and our laws are geared in that direction. It is not what is best for the United States anymore but how the rich can get richer.

October 6, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  9. Joseph Buttacavoli

They say 15 million people are out of work but they never say that it adds up to about 25 million when you consider we have to feed our children.

October 6, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  10. Mike Armstrong TX.

NON SINCE whats going on is people are hiring Holliday help you know those three month jobs where the general retailers make sales thru the years end Thanks Giving market and black friedays results to the crisp day My point is Only Bankers -Utility People And Insurance Comp. And Gov. will bennifit this year the small man is'nt included in the presidents agenda.

October 6, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  11. Carrie , Bham , AL

Jack , not where I live , I lost my job due to a buy out, and have 2 grown children that lost mangement jobs last year in the Industrial and Construction industries....And people around here just are not hiring . I am not talking about min wage jobs for teens, those are still around, but good paying jobs with insurance and retirement benefits are just not here. This is a uneasy time for many people I love and know . I wish I could see some light but no glimmer yet!
    This is the first time anyone in our family has ever taken unemployment benefits ,and now there are 3 of us !

October 6, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  12. Tom from Los Angeles

Topping 10%? Really? This reminds me of all those pundits & economists saying we weren't in a recession while my friends were being laid off a full year and a half before the governement/economist and pundits would admit that there was a recession. If for once they counted the people truely hurt by this "depression" and I mean all of them, they would see that probably it tops out over 20%. How many individuals do you know that have stopped looking for a job or had their benefits run out so they don't even count in the official numbers of the unemployed – oh and don't forget about those people who have taken a pay cut or are underemployed. If this growth in the economy turn out to be a "jobless recovery" then the status quo parties, (Republican and Democrats), had better fear for their existence.

October 6, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  13. Deb B

No, and those who are telling the country it is, are living in bubble. Only politicians think things are getting better. Those of us in the real world know better. Much better!!! All of the you gold-plated employees know none our pain. Where is your sacrifice?

October 6, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  14. Brett

I don't think the job market is improving, but I do think it has started to decline slower. So I guess thats a start.

It would have been nice to have a second stimulus bill to help out the economy. First one to stop the bleeding, second one to start some growth. Too bad the government was so far in debt when Bush left office that we couldn't take that extra step towards recovery.

San Antonio, Texas

October 6, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  15. carrie m

whad youd think was gonna happen employers pay less lay off people whos going to buy your products if the top keeps the money yes we need to spread the wealth

October 6, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  16. Rick McDaniel / Lewisville, TX

On the contrary, I don't think the job market will improve, for some time yet. It has not yet bottomed out, and is unlikely to do so before the end of next year.

October 6, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  17. Bob Kole

Jack,

There is no improvement in the job market and there won't be as long those who are currently employeed continue to sing the mantra "I need this job" and put in more and more hours to keep things going. Why should companies hire more if the work is still being done?

Bob Kole
    New York, NY

October 6, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  18. Jobless Joe in Maryland

No sign of improvement here. Companies are just playing it safe, and waiting until there is solid growth on their books. Even when that happens, they will only hire a small percentage of people back at a reduced number of hours. We ain't at the bottom yet.

October 6, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  19. David A Whitaker

Jack in about a year a lot of things has to happen before there will be any job. Unfortunately everybody are scared to spend their money.

David
    Martinsburg, WV

October 6, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  20. Emden (Deep in the Heart of Hurst Texas)

Jack,
    The loss of good paying jobs in the US economy continues.

There is a significant wealth transfer from the US to those economies whose labor is cheap and plentiful.

Our federal government is unwilling to intervene to stem this flow.

We the people may not be able to afford this federal government.

We may have to look for a more economical model!!!!!

October 6, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  21. Christopher Semana

I applaud you and thank you for pointing out on your blog that in fact unemployment is a lagging indicator. People are quick to decry claims of economic minded students for making estimations that the economy is beginning to recover from a recession despite the unemployment situation.

Part of that problem is that people do not fully understand words such as recessions and recoveries. These are terms coined by economists, thus they use it in their scope. The layman's usage of words like recessions and recoveries only focus on individuals. However, recessions and recoveries are states of the different parts and industries of the economy.

I'm hoping that many more reporters and media persons help the rest of the nation understand this subtlety. It is a good sign when another part of the economy begins to recover even if your present situation does not yet reflect this.

I like to look at this situation as; the fire on the stove is on, but it will take time for the water to boil.

October 6, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  22. Susan from Twin Falls Idaho

jack you have to be looking for a job to get a sense of availability. This has been a mega wake up call for the world, let's hope when jobs do come back workers are willing to give a 100 percent and not except to make an unrealistic wage.

October 6, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  23. Debbie - Seaside Park, NJ

Jack: The job market is definitely NOT improving. Unemployed workers are plentiful, job openings are scarce, and applicants for a single job are in the double/triple digits. This is sort like musical chairs ; when the music stops, one person has a seat, and all the others, well, imagine if you can. Trying to find a job is unimaginable!

October 6, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  24. Bruce - Delaware

October 6, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  25. donald bennett

Why isn't the President and Congress helping the unemployed Americans. Nothing has improved for workers in California. Lets continue to help all of those countries that hate us. Maybe some of those bank bonuses should be paid to all of the families in this country since we bailed everybody out and they increase charges on the credit cards and take away credit limits of people whom pay on time. We are helping everybody else but Americans. Is it true that Congress does not pay into social security? There you go. They don't deal with reality. Move to term limits and change their benefits to match those of the working class.

October 6, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  26. Nancy, Grand Ledge,MI

I don't see any signs when I talk to my son who is layed off, my nephew who is layed off, or my brother-in-law who is layed off. I also don't see any when I talk to another brother-in-law whose hours have been reduced from forty hours a week to twenty-four. Women seem to be the only ones I know that are fully employed, and even most of them are under employed. I would like full time, but the best I can get is 22 hours a week. When I see products that say "made in USA" I will believe that things are improving. But that may never happen!!!

October 6, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  27. Amani, Buffalo NY

I believe that the stock market is eventually going to boost the job market. As long as people feel safe enough to endorse saving in the stock market, I feel a sense that jobs as lagging indicators of the economic recovery process, will follow all other signs that shows improvement from the "previous recession", and begin to improve as well.

October 6, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  28. Tom Mytoocents Fort Lauderdale Florida

Jack

22 million criminal aliens in America and 22 million jobs lost. Why should law abiding American citizens who contributed their part to America loose their seat at the table for criminal parasites from foreign countries.
    Please forward the names of paid employees of my government who grant these parasites our freedom that we paid for. at the expense of the American worker.
    Or legalize all of them . Give them all jobs in government . Fire those who didn't enforce the law. And above all let them vote. I'm tired of supporting the load , while other Americans benefit from cheap labor at my expense

October 6, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  29. Allen in Hartwell GA

Jack, I can't speak for any place I haven't seen, but things here in northeast GA are getting better. Granted, maybe jobs are being lost as fast or faster then being created, but not right now right here.

October 6, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  30. Debbie from CA

I think the job market lags behind in any recession. It appears to me the job market has leveled off. I don't get the sense the job market is improving but I don't see it has worsened either.

October 6, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  31. LaVerne e Brison

Jack: I cannot say whether the job market is improving or not. I have had the same job for almost 30 years. I am a registered nurse. Maybe people should think about going into the health care field. My job cannot be outsourced. Maybe when the people in America wise up and stop buying the products of companies that move overseas to avoid paying taxes and providing health care for their workers this problem will be solved. It is all about big profits and corporate greed.

October 6, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  32. Eileen Peabody MA

No Jack, I don't. Many are doing jumping jacks because the stock market is starting to recover, but the regulations promised to keep them in check have not come to fruition.

So, Wall Street may be presenting a happy face. But you know as well as I do their executives will happily accept their despicably high bonuses because of this turn around. In actuality the market is responding favorable to the layoffs. So those bonuses come on the backs of all those who have lost their jobs.

We won't see reemployment for a long time, and if Wall Street has anything to say about it....they'll work to see that even more lose their jobs. OH GOSH….then they can claim those bonuses next year too!!!!

October 6, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  33. Ralph Cape Coral, Fl.

There are no jobs out there for anyone that I can see. Economic indicators are a bunch of bull that has nothing to do with main street and everyday life. The government is never on the same page as real people. There is no money out there for people to spend and no credit for them to buy anything.

October 6, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  34. CM

According to free market economists (the ones that actually predicted the current financial mess was coming) unemployment is now closer to 20%. Never in the history of the world has a country with currency based upon paper with no backing of silver or gold survived. History is littered with examples of empires and great civilizations that left the gold standard or severely debased (devalued, printed money, inflated the money supply) their currencies only to fail shortly thereafter. Why is it we think we are so immune to this? We can see it already occurring with the shrinking of the middle class as its crushed under the burden of inflation.

October 6, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  35. carlos marrero from Socorro NM

I get a sense things are improving, we just have to wait and see.

October 6, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  36. sylvia schildt

jobs jobs jobs jobs - turn unemployed persons into productive consumers - we need fdr type work programs now!

October 6, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  37. Ralph Spyer chicago Il

Maybe in China

October 6, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  38. Tj suburbs of Twin Cities

From my view Jack, No. I am looking for work, and to add to it, trying to change careers.

Web sites are full of low paying jobs with unrealistic demands. Employeers that are hiring; are rude, you send off 10 resumes and won't hear from one. With that said I will rise above it and find a perfect fit and yes you can send me a job offer!

October 6, 2009 at 5:45 pm |
  39. Harvey

The job market is Not improving. Now wasn't that what this billion dollar stimulus was supposed to do? Create Jobs. So I have a question for you. Where's the money? Where's all that billions of dollars we borrowed from China? I have been on this earth 63 years and I don't every remember us being in this big of a mess.

October 6, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  40. Anita Z

Are you kidding?? Lost my job back in Feb & I never had so much trouble finding one! I've been sending resumes out and no one has called me for an interview yet. No way the job market is improving.

October 6, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  41. Vick R Welsh Orange Park, Fl

Not in North Florida not yet!!!!

October 6, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  42. jerry nisenbaum

Job recovery doesn`t look good here in orlando Jack. My wife who is a preschool teacher reports to she is losing students on a weekly basis due to a parent (or both) losing their jobs. It seems that every body loses here Jack. The parents, the school, and worst of all the children. So it doesn`t look good at all but why ask me.......just ask the children.

October 6, 2009 at 5:54 pm |
  43. jgal

I have notices a slight improvement–oh so slight!!!

JG
    Massachusetts

October 6, 2009 at 5:55 pm |
  44. Terry from Illinois

Jack,
    My company plans more lay-offs before Christmas and my son just graduated college, can not get close to finding a job unless he wants to work a minimum wage job at Wal-Mart or McDonalds so NO, THE ECONOMY AND JOB MARKET IS NOT IMPROVING...

October 6, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  45. Loren, Chicago

No, and there won't be any improvement until those who control the financial well-being of our country realize that trickle-down economics only work if they don't take all the money in the economy and keep it themselves. I am referring to those in the financial services industry who see nothing wrong with demanding tens of millions in compensation for arranging the acquisition of companies, which force the companies to pare back jobs to give those financiers the returns they demand, or those merchants, like Walmart, who insist that in order to sell products that they have to be manufactured in the lowest cost areas in the world, which invariably means jobs leaving the United States for China and Malaysia, or our politicians who keep paying themselves lots of money and taking all of the best benefits but at the same time making it more enticing for employers to bring in foreign workers or ship jobs overseas all in the name of global commerce. While I don't believe in protectionism, I also don't believe that you have to encourage the destruction of the US manufacturing base to get lower priced goods to American consumers who can't afford them anyway because they no longer have jobs since they were shipped overseas. But unfortunately, we continue to elect those who have no real business experience, and by that I mean the day-to-day factory life, the day-to-day office life, what most Americans face, not the rarified atmosphere of privilege that seems the life of all our politicians.

October 6, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  46. Thom Richer

Trick question, huh, Jack. What job market? Let's hope we start seeing some honest and truthful admissions concerning career and living wage employment in America from this administration and Congress. They know as well as us that there are no substantial jobs that will right this economic crisis. They also know that until living wages are payed to American workers and until we exit Afghanistan and Iraq, the economy will not recover. Time to be decisive in our dealings with the world and our citizens. No longer can our government function with decisive indecision.

Thom Richer
    Negaunee, MI

October 6, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  47. DARRELL Anthony

There is enough blame to go around to answer this question Jack.
    1. The Trade Agreements; Allowed the offshoring of american jobs.
    2. All previous administrations and parties for not looking for the people over the big/multinational corporations.
    3. Congress for being bought for sold by lobbyist.
    4. President Obama for being naive in thinking that Congress for appropriating Stimulus Dollars the the areas that would creating both directly/indirectly.
    Last but not least, The republicans for playing politics above the needs of the country and it's citizens.

October 6, 2009 at 5:59 pm |
  48. Anna Bender

Jack,

As for me, I think people give too much thought to these so called "experts" about the state of the economy. Whether the Job market improves or not, we simply need to stop paying too much attention these discouraging figures and make the best of what is still available.

If you are still breathing, there is opportunity somewhere for you, pray and go for it.

Peace.

October 6, 2009 at 6:04 pm |
  49. TJ of Edmonds, WA

Employment levels are a trailing indicator of the economy. Employers will need a pretty healthy period of prosperity and consumer confidence before they have the courage to begin hiring again. Equity market victories are appreciated, but we still have a long, bumpy road ahead of us before the unemployed can breathe a sigh of relief.

October 6, 2009 at 6:08 pm |
  50. Dennis.S. Toronto Canada

Job market beginning to improve?
    That comment must be a joke.Millions people out of a job every month,and each month there is more and each month the Employment cheques run out on others.
    If you counted all the people that lost their jobs and have not found one since Jan 2009 and add the new people that just lost their jobs each month,The numbers would be more like around 20% of the US population.

October 6, 2009 at 6:08 pm |
  51. Joseph Ricciuti

Jack, the markets are up and the feeling now is the employment numbers will follow suite...how do I know? Simple...I can feel the optimism in my bones.

Joseph

October 6, 2009 at 6:08 pm |
  52. Antonio from Washington D.C.

In order for people to stop getting laid off, we need to fire crappy leaders and crappy employees. The job market is getting worse(thanks to people like Michelle Rhee)! CERTAIN PEOPLE ARE NOT MEANT FOR CERTAIN JOBS! You have families and friends are in pain due to the selfishness of many company leaders and workers! WHEN ARE GOING TO GROW UP AND REALIZE THAT IS NOT ALL ABOUT US, IT'S ABOUT THE TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 6, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  53. SHARON: Anchorage, Alaska

NO way, Jack. I’ve been unemployed since December. In Alaska, we’re beginning our traditional seasonal time frame with larger increases in unemployment. There are many states in similar shape and the economy has been falsely elevated. The nationwide UE rate will more than likely increase to 12% by spring 2010 (20% including long time UE or part-timers preferring fulltime) before it begins a slow decline over a 5 year period.

October 6, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  54. Nancy, Tennessee

I don’t believe the jobs market is improving because we don’t have anyone in Washington that has used common sense to help create jobs. My state has building after building that is empty that used to be manufacturing plants. Do we not have designers, marketing people, shop foremen, and workers that would love the chance to start a new business and employ a thousand people per building? Was any of the stimulus money used to fund startup companies from the ground up and acquire plants that already exist? It makes me think that we have some unspoken rule that we will not compete with India, China, and other countries that now have plants and jobs that used to be American. When America starts to think of us (U.S.) instead of them, we may recover from the economic disaster caused by the global economy. I haven’t seen any of the plants that belonged to China move to the United States and we won’t. Congress and the administration has the idea we can recover without producing goods. Everyone cannot work in the service industry. If we all just service each other, with no products what happens to GDP? The economists of this country have let us down. They need to be speaking up and explaining to Congress and the President how a thriving economy needs to work.

October 6, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  55. Layne Alleman

Jack, As a small business owner, I just had the unpleasant task of telling my only(incredibly loyal) employee "better look for something more permanent". No, I'm not going out of business, but things are so slow,I only have enough work for myself, and thats only a few days a week. I have a brother (married) who has been on unemployment for a year and a half, with no prospects in sight. A sister who just had her 40-year employer declare bankruptcy (pension and insurance, gone), and maybe it's just my imagination, but there seems to be an awful lot of people pushing shopping carts around with personal belongings in them. I haven't heard of any major(or minor) hirings in this area in quite a while(I don't count Wall-Mart). All I hear is the major networks saying that this "bump-in-road" is over, so everyone should go out and "spend, spend, spend". I guess that means we should barrow even more money we can't pay back. Layne A. Antioch, Il.

October 6, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  56. Fritz Hohenheim, L.A.

Nope, no sign at all. I dont care about the numbers they shuffle in Washington. As long as there are no new jobs here, the president has failed in my eyes

October 6, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  57. Fred Dean Weaver Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

jack Obama been President 9 months and encomy and jobs unbelivablly doing better then i thank it would be. Amy american dont thank Obama doing a great job deserve great depression and do nothing Republicans and Blue Dog Democrates.

October 6, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  58. Dave

Does it matter when we have a Congress that is dead set on passing tax increases during a downturn in the economy. Taxes like cap and tax will only lead to more job loses as companies will have to choose between raising the price of the goods or cut labor costs and move out of country to someplace that doesn't take it upon themselves to punish those who create jobs.

Not to mention this same Congress who believes in their fairy tale version of healthcare that increases the number of insured while not increasing costs. This while at the same time not dealing with the doctor shortage and whose idea of competition involves the creation of a single competitor through the creation of a public option. If they actually wanted to create real competition they would create a single Federal standard, use the commerce clause to allow competition across state lines, and not allow companies to charge higher rates to individuals then they do to groups. On top of this they would allow insurance companies to charge higher rates to those who choose to indulge in habits that increase health risks such as smoking, over eating, unprotected sex, and other things.

October 6, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  59. Annie, Atlanta

No. Our manufacturing jobs have been shipped overseas. Foreign car makers have been making energy efficient cars for years, we haven't. And we've gotten so stupid we have to import workers for high tech jobs. I'm downright frightened about how bleak this looks.

October 6, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  60. Lynn

Jack, unless we stop the outsourcing of jobs to India and China, the recovery will be slow, at best. While President Obama is trying to stimulate the economy, some help from corporate America will be needed to stop the bleeding of jobs. Congress and has bought and sold the American economy to the highest bidder.

October 6, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  61. Francisco (New York City)

There won't be any job creation here in the states for another 3 years. My suggestion, move to China.

October 6, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  62. jack

I see a few signs of relief very sligjt jack,but we need hope and optimism

October 6, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  63. Bobby

Jack,
    No. Jobs are inshort supply. Job hunters are numerous. Do the math. We are going to be hurting for a long time.
    It was a great ride; the party's over.
    Bobby
    Stockton, Ca

October 6, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  64. Ken in NC

Yes Jack I do sense the turn around. All the Penguins on Wall Street have turned and started their march again in the same direction as one unit back again to the cliff of doom.

October 6, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  65. Barry McGuire

Of course the job market if beginning to improve. Of course the republican't will say and do things that are detrimental to the recovery because they do not want to see this President succeed. These are the same folks that called everyone that disagreed with bush "unpatriotic".

October 6, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  66. Karl from SF, CA

The fact we aren’t at the 25% unemployment like after Herbert Hoover left is a great improvement. Read my lips: Jobs are the last thing to turn around. The other indicators are turning, so have patience. Extend unemployment so we don’t have soup lines and create all the jobs we can by whatever means. There is no one answer, they all have to work.

October 6, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  67. joseph crews

Is the job market improving?The company I work for just recieved a large order.Then proceded to lay off 100 people and send 60% of the large order to an outsourcing facility in China.This country is such a mess.

October 6, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  68. Shrubthewarcriminal

NO! This economy is a joke started by Bush and continued by Obama.

October 6, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  69. Victor

NO... not for the jobs that count. The Bush Administration really did a number on us... when is the US going to learn that Republican Trickle-nomics is a bad IDEA!? I guess that in order to know what intelligent is we have to have the opposite.

October 6, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  70. Diana, Illinois

Absolutely not!!

October 6, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  71. Marty

Since the late 80's the American people have been bamboozled by the private sector backed by the Federal government into believing that we have to be ready for the new economy if we are to survive. There is no new economy. Every economy is based on one four letter word, and that word is JOBS. The jobs have been out- sourced by the American 'manufacturer in an effort to make a larger profit on what he 'manufactures in foreign counties and that is the underlying cause of our economy crashing and smoldering, soon to burn completely unless checked with jobs. A pay check for a job well done is the basis of every economy and without jobs to be worked we will not be able to extract ourselves from this recession which actually is a depression to those without a job. You know the old adage; A recession is when your neighbor is out of work. A depression is when you are out of work. When the factories come back to the United States and what they produce are made in the United States, we will emerge from this 'recession'. Until then, matters will get worse as the government throws money it borrows from the country with the most jobs, China, to the public with the hope that they will buy products, banks so that they will lend money, (to whom?), insurance companies that may insure but seldom pay without delaying and denying, auto industry that has as its best customer the owners of the company, in a futile effort. Jobs, jobs, jobs and jobs alone will do the job. Anything less is rhetoric.

October 6, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  72. Barry

Employment Jack? I live in Portland Oregon, and I can tell you, China is having a great employment boom at America's expense. We just had Intel offer 14 new plants ther instead of here. That's US jobs gone, and it is happening with many major companies. We will see an upsurge in the job market when US companies start remembering which flag to salute!

October 6, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  73. J Smith

As an IT professional that was laid off in May, I am starting to see some increase in the number of jobs that match my skills. However, the salaries are very low compared to what I was making, and the consulting jobs also have hourly rates about half of what I would expect. I have a brain tumor (that I was born with) so I need to get a job with benefits before Cobra runs out because no insurance company will insure me due to my pre-existing brain tumor.

October 6, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  74. Tom in CA

Jack,

I just retired on September 25th! My job (database administrator) is out there for the taking!

Now, the young folks around us in the neighborhood are doing quite well – they're well educated and have fantastic career potential. I'm not seeing the job market going south for those that are well educated and qualified!

My take – Stay in School! Go to college! An education is "Your ticket to a great future!"

Anyway, that's what my parent's ingrained into my soul!

October 6, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  75. John, Fort Collins, CO

I haven't seen an employment "surge" anywhere. If FDR could create the CCC and NPR from scratch at the height of the Depression, providing hundreds of thousands of jobs in a matter months, why can't we, armed with high tech and better printing presses, do ten times that much starting last year? In my opinion, the "stimulus package" has been a mouse fart in a wind storm.

October 6, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  76. John Saah

I believe the economy is improving nationwide, however I hope Americans start buying more American-made products rather than Chinese junk. In terms of real estate markets, I thing that the DC metro area will lead the way.

October 6, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  77. Myla Meyer

Yes, the job market is beginning to improve... for call centers in India, China, and overseas countries where the multinational companies have defected to for their work force. Let's not forget numbers of low paying part-time jobs which have been added to our market. Until there is a drastic change in how "capitalism" operates, the working person will not see any improvement.

October 6, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  78. paul

I started amy own advertising company when the ecomomy started to tumble...things were tough and small business advertising dollars were tight...Over the last 3 months my business has improved by 30% and more companies are starting to open their wallets and advertise...advertising equals sales....lets hope this continues.

October 6, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  79. gary

Jack- as one who just last week was laid off from a great small biz- I say until the credit crunch is over, recovery will be slow

October 6, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  80. Jim/NC

I sell paper to printers. Printers continue close their busniness, file bankruptcy or move out to 60 – 90 days to pay their bills. In fact, the organization, Printing Industry of America, predicts that 4,000 small or medium size businesses in the US will close their doors in the coming year. They simply cannot get loans to weather the storm. At least in our industry, we do not see any change for the better.

October 6, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  81. akinbobuyi akinola

This economy would pick up but we need to change our attitude concerning how we keep attacking the policies of the government without providing a good alternative. We have politisize everything this young president says all in efforts to see him fail. We should see his actions as having the best interest of this country at heart. Is it not a shame some people in the name of politics think the president of the United states is not is not patriotic enough?

October 6, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  82. cal

If you believe Obama, Biden, and the state run media the recession is over! Horah! 9 trillion dollars disappeared at the Fed Reserve and Obama spends trillions on bailout. Enough so everyone in the US doesn't need to work for a year, how can there be no jobs, lol! I wanna cry.

October 6, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  83. Sean

To think the job market is improving after such catastrophic decline are the makings of idiocy and delusion. The only thing that's happening is that the job market is getting worse more slowly because we already lost so many jobs already.

October 6, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  84. Bev in Canada

No doubt in my mind Jack. Studies indicate that the job growth is usually the last part of the economy to pick up. It is unfortunate that Chicago did not get the olympics as that would have been a great start. Vancouver in Canada is hosting the 2010 winter olympics and for the past four years there has been ongoing construction, new road works, public transportation being remodified, hotels are fully booked for that time and increased their staff double. The recession was barely felt here. Teh president will get it right and all the naysaers will have egg on their faces.

October 6, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  85. Antonio from Washington D.C.

We need to get responsible and quality people who are made for the job. Get rid of the sorry people and get the ones who are TRULY dedicated and TRULY love to do their jobs. We need people who will TRULY do what's right by everybody!

October 6, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  86. Larry

There seem to be a lot of jobs in the Dallas area but NONE for someone who just turned 65! After a very sucessful career in financial accounting spanning 44 years no one wants your experince and skill!

Age discrimination is very much alive and kicking!

October 6, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  87. Randall

If it is, Jack, I can't tell. Every time I see the unemployment rate I cringe. I have three degrees (in accounting, finance and law), a mountain of student loan debt - and zero job prospects.

Randall
    Washington, DC

October 6, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  88. el don Rodrigo

Heck Jack,

There is always hope but in this it is like going fishing for work. The problem is that for every job available there are more than a 1000+ fishermen and only one fish in the pond. So it is like the Lottery, a lot of non-winners and only a few who get to eat fish.

el don Rodrigo
    San Jose, CA

October 6, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  89. Marta williams evinson

Dear Jack, isn´t it ironic that the very 1st people to be "rescued" in the present economic crisis are also the very same who are jubilant about a recovery. The first world falling into the capitalist abyss of a very small and unscrupulous upper class with a nosediving middle class and swift pauperization of the working class. Everyone should read Naomi Klein´s The Shock Doctrine. The roots of the problem are systemic. Good evening from Spain, Marta Williams

October 6, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  90. john siverd, alta, wy

With all the pressure on companies to improve profitability, jobs had to be reduced over the long term. To get jobs back new industries will have to be formed in health care, new technology, services or elsewhere such that new capital will flow into them. This will take a long time.
    John Siverd

October 6, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  91. Johnny Chagdes (Los Angeles)

Hi Jack –

No improvement in the Los Angeles sector that I can see. In fact, the unemployment seems to be much worse than elsewhere. I hear statistics of 13.4% unemployed in LA. That doesn't even bring into account the level of underemployed ... a much better gauge of reality I believe. If it is 17% nationally, I'd hate to guesstimate what it is here in California.

As for new work, I do not see any "stimulus" creating jobs here. If it were occurring, I'd here Pelosi talking about how its working in California .. and I haven't heard a whisper from our Senator.

Perhaps if they took the handcuffs of the folks holding the purse strings and allowed the local communities to use it, we would see how the money could be put to good use.

The only thing I hear from my consituents that are unemployed is "Good to hear that they want to extend my unemployment benefits up to a year and a half!"

That is not what they should be looking forward to. The government needs to make it easier for small businesses to reach out and hire this talent.

October 6, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  92. Gary Drews

Jack,

Obama is out of his mind, he is the worst president we have had in history,

I have seen no sign of job increases, I have been unemplyed since December 2008 when it hit bottom. Many companies are tring to cut cost and pricing to bare minimum. I have seen more MCDonlds fast food restruants hiring more and more Illegals where the entire store was loaded with all Illegals. I went to one the other day and we were so enraged , the illegal mexican was tring to speak spanish to US.

I have continued to hear about more job losses on my area of Rockford IL .

October 6, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  93. Armin

The job market will continue to get worse at this time.
    Those who may feel that it is improving are definitely in the Financial field who have been pumped up by all the Cash they have received from the Government.
    The average Joe will continue to loose his job .
    Good Luck.

October 6, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  94. Floyd Vahalik

I get a sense that the unemployment picture tells us a lot. New jobs are being created at a snail's pace, while the lack of income to the unemployed is wreaking havoc on the economy.

I am very much afraid that by the time we see employment figures start to rise, we may be living in a very different America. This would be an America where people are working for half what they made before, and where we decline as a vital country to the point where (as is currently underway), the dollar is no longer used to measure stocks, bonds, gold, etc.

It makes me sad. We put the first man on the moon. Now, it's buddy can you spare me a dime.

Floyd Vahalik
    Ammon, Idaho

October 6, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  95. Bobby Pesare

Bobby, Ocala Fl. Jack It's all tied to the housing, What ever happen to all the talk that the goverment was going to stabilize the market..... NADA, NOTHING..all talk as normal. If we can get people stable in their homes, forclosure's go down prices will level out, & Builders can build again. that means...plummers,masons,electricans,roofers,carpenters,painters, realtors, title companies, ...And yes even those Banks(that we own)

October 6, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  96. helpmyresume

As a organization that helps thousands of unemployed individuals we are seeing a huge increase of individuals requiring our free services. (helpmyresume.org). We are seeing people throughout the country scared about how they are going to live day-to-day and are very frustrated with the current economic situation and the lack of available jobs.

October 6, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  97. m. costello

I think so. I have seen a rise in contract jobs, and if you consider contract jobs as a leading indicator to salary employment, salary jobs should follow.

October 6, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  98. Alex

Not yet. 20 + years sales/management experience in high tech space, M.A. degree, 150+ job applications later and nothing yet. Frustrated after following all the "rules".

October 6, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  99. Jason

Jack, The president should put a 6 month freeze on payroll tax for new hires. It does not cost the government anything because they don't get those taxes right now anyway. It would get people off unemployment benefits, encourage companies to hire, give new hires a chance to get back on their feet and 6 months from now it would increase the governments tax base.

October 6, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  100. Cynthia

Jack, if there is a sense the economy is seeing a sign of improving I can not see it b/c I am still NOT working after August 2008. Also if that is so, ppl would not be still losing their jobs. How is the economy improving and creating jobs when jobs are still being lost, who are hiring when ppl are still losing theirs?

October 6, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  101. Walter L Johnson

Vancouver, WA

I have seen no improvement in employment opportunities at all in either the extended family and friends nationally, an in the Portland, OR, area the unemployment has stayed steady at around 12.2%. 18 months ago I never would have believed either the jobs or housing market would be so bad, so naturally my disability insurer in the Mountain States now wants to claim I am no longer disabled after 18 years of atrophied work skills and long obsolete computer knowledge. I presume the reason is their own financial stress.

October 6, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  102. Roman Deutsch, Butler, PA

Well, Jack, corporate America is scared, and they just keep shifting to the bottom of the sand pile. They're feeding their own fears. The unknown that is cause they lost all control.
    Jobs losses are going to put this country under, but not to worry, cause it will affect the whole world.
    An enemy is in our midst, it hides with the colors of our country.
    Until America turns to productive production of new cars, planes, trains
    transportation that runs off of water, salt water we will stay connected to the oil problem with financial markets

October 6, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  103. Daniel Kaiser (Japan)

Jack, there no new jobs and won't be for some time. Our economy, jobs and the country in general are still plunging at the ground. Obama has managed to come out of the death spiral that Bush put us in, we're still losing altitude.
    But all indications, we're just losing less jobs a month, but still hundreds of thousands instead of millions of jobs lost is an improvement. Its like smashing your thumb with a wood mallet instead of a hammer. It's an improvement.....I guess.

October 6, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  104. Kenny L

Jack,
    Extending unemployment benefits doesn't do anything to help the economy or the unemployed in the long run. I for one don't want to be paid to sit around doing nothing all day, instead how about creating some of those new energy jobs we heard so much about during the elections! It's time to stop talking about change and actually doing something to make it happen!

October 6, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  105. Dianne

The ones that got us into this mess in the first place say the economy is improving, because for them...it is.

When an establishment like ESPN Zone, a very popular Sports Bar in Atlanta closed last week after ten years in business, doesn't that say something – especially during football season?

Dianne
    Atlanta, GA

October 6, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  106. Brenda

No. I am unemployed in Flint, MI; hope and change isn't working out so well for us here. The mantra here is 'last one out, turn off the lights'....

October 6, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  107. Chris

Hell no. I was laid-off from the financial services industry in january and have been looking for my next gig since. All I get back in response to applications is either no response or a response that the position has been canceled. Know anyone looking for a financial operations manager?

October 6, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  108. T42

I still can't find a job after being laid off over a year ago and I exhausted my unemployment benefits last week. Is the economy getting better? In two words Jack: HELL NO!

October 6, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  109. Gary

Jack,

Why is the recovery producing some jobs in other Western counties but not here? Because their governments are owned by the people, not the corporate lobbyists and special interest groups. I have a relative working at a large tech company that is hiring, but has an edict to hire a
    large percentage of H1B workers, even if they can find Americans who are qualified, to satisfy shareholder demands and a CEO who wants to pad his/her golden parachute. I have other friends who have told me of other companies that are laying off qualified workers only to replace them with H1B workers at a much lower rate, largely from Inda. If we want to avoid a jobless recovery, we actual citizens must demand that huge penalties be placed on companies for hiring illegal aliens and that the government shut down the H1B program NOW! It may have made sense when unemployment was at 4 percent, but employers now are using the recession as an excuse to avoid employing American citizens and to unload many they have on the books.

Gary, Southern Illinois

October 6, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  110. JR in NC

My husband got fired yesterday for "economic reasons.". So I'd say it sucks.

October 6, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  111. Captain Denise Fox

YES, Even though I have been unemployed since December 2008 and have worked in the luxury superyacht niche industry, we see definite signs of improvement in our industry on the horizon both domesitcally and internationally. The folks who buy these luxury yachts also are big time investors and CEOs so they must know a thing or 2 or 3. Of cource prices of yachts and products have dropped in our industry considerably and so have wages but it is a reality check, much needed. We are also welcoming the new innovative trends in environmental initiatives that are happening in our industry. All a good thing for at least our niche industry. However, for the moment I am still looking of a job, anyone out there seeking a well qualified captain?

October 6, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  112. Nick Longmont, CO

Jack,

22 months and counting. My unemployment runs out this week. Colorado's official unemployment rate is too low to get seven weeks of the remainder of extended benefits. Congress thinks unemployment is not so bad, that is why they are only going to extend unemployment in 27 states; leaving 23 other states to be on their own. By the way I two degrees and 30 years in IT. Too bad, that their our guest workers taking my job or my job is now in India.

How is the job market, Jack? 22 months and counting; no job in sight.

Nick

October 6, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  113. Derrick in NH

I'm in the information technology field. I was out of work for nearly 7 months, and I was lucky enough to find a good job in my field...I start this Thursday...however, despite my good fortune I can tell you that there are no signs that there are more job openings now than there were 7 months ago. So I say the answer is a resounding NO...the job market is not improving, and while it may eventually improve compared to where it is now, compared to years past there will be high unemployment and rampant underemployment for the foreseeable future. Manufacturing has largely left the US, and the jobs followed never to return.

October 6, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  114. Jay Shaw

Jack

These politicians are so insane millions of the American People, the very people that have bailed almost the entire business sector now does not have a job billions went to companies that lied time and time again. Congress who is argueing over healthcare. All this while little Timmy in a US city is wondering if his parents will ever go to work so they don't lose there home. Maybe I am wrong but shouldn't congress's org chart read create jobs first, war relations second, healthcare reform 3, but as usual the warefare of another country comes first (afghanistan), health care reform second, and the american citizen last!

October 6, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  115. Jason

Jack, The president should put a 6 month freeze on payroll tax for new hires. It does not cost the government anything because they don’t get those taxes right now anyway. It would get people off unemployment benefits, encourage companies to hire, give new hires a chance to get back on their feet and 6 months from now it would increase the governments tax base.

October 6, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  116. jason

Jack I love yes/no questions. the simple answer is NO. unfortunately this country has gone to outsourcing most manufacturing. the only way we might see any improvement is if someone invents something that the world can not do with out and decides that they want to have it made here. neither political party controls what might be invented by someone all they can do is give them a reason to stay here. with the partisanship that our legislative body's are showing of late i don't see anything positive happening soon.

October 6, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  117. Regina

Not in my career field. The unemployment rate in NC is 10% and rising. I am a tax accountant and am in the process of changing careers. I have accepted a part-time teaching position with a university and will be starting a career in real estate.

October 6, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  118. Paolo, Philippines

Jack it better be through late next year and 2012 otherwise if the unemployment numbers get worse, President Obama or his democrats will be counted as part of them.

October 6, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  119. mr. tim

Unfortunately the jobs for blue collar workers that pay 20-25 an hr. have disappeared and will not be coming back .These type of workers would need a serious retraining program in fields of future growth . I don't know about you , but going back to school at the age of 50 is not all that appealing . For some reason 30 plus years of solid work experience is not enough for most companies . Lets face it , people with MBA's and PHD's are trying to get jobs they are way over qualified for . I am very fortunate to have a good job , but there is a distinct air of constant tension , even though the company is doing great. Late in the summer they had a job fair for 40 jobs , nearly 1000 people showed up ! They needed to hire 40 to replace about 100 jobs consolidated from another location out of state . I'll just keep my position over the barrel as long as they keep shaking me while I hang on !!

October 6, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  120. Terrence Cain

No. The economy has not improved one bit. Not even the stock markets have really improved. Every day it fluctuates like someone who is trying to lose weight by eating nothing but fatty foods and running 40 miles a day. The job loss rates keep going up and the people who put us in this situation keep getting their million dollar bonuses. Obama needs to get off the tv and get to work. Enough of the sweet talking. Do something, Mr. President. We voted for change, so show us the change you promised us.

Terrence Cain
    Big Spring, TX.

October 6, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  121. Kennett

I was currently on one of many job sites I visit looking for a position like the one I had 8 months ago in the Aerospace field. When I heard your comment "Are things in the job market getting better"? Here is your answer in short NO, NO, NO and NO. I don't see any signs of job recovery and especially after seeing someone I know being laid-off from one of our state’s largest employers (The Lazy B) as of last Tuesday this is not a good sign and the holidays are quickly approaching.

Thanks,
    Kennett
    Seattle, WA

October 6, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  122. Joaquin

There are two kinds of people, those that have a job and believe everything you tell them , they are in Fantasy land.
    And, those that have no job and they are in the Hard Land and they know the end is near.

October 6, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  123. Vivian Mattaliano

Hi Jack,
    For those of us out there in the real world, we know the job market is worse than dead. Where are the jobs going to come from? Here in AZ even the illegals can't find work. And they work for practically nothing.
    For those of us who have to pay mortgage, bills, buy foood and other essential costs, we are SCARED to death. More and more people are loosing hours/days of work or just plain loosing their jobs. On some streets there are more houses for sale or in foreclosure than are lived in. Our animal shelters in this country is an indication of how many people are abandoning their beloved pets because they themselves have NO WHERE to live.
    These are sad, very sad times for our fellow Americans.

October 6, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  124. tony

No i dont think it's getting any better,in fact i think it's getting worse,that coming from a lady who just lost her job because the company she works for decided it would be in THERE best intrest to move to mexico.So before she commits suicide and leaves her 3 children without a mother,don't you think the goverment should put the brakes on companys that are outsourcing our jobs to save themselves money and make themselves richer.If the rich people dont start putting money back into this country,,the next job they may have is finding a spot to hide their money when the poor people come to get it..Invest in america,cause after all it's still "WE THE PEOPLE" right?

October 6, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  125. damian smith

well jack we just to watch and see ,what the president have is store where creating job is concern look it at from this , no job creation no job plain and simple as but the us is a nation who always fight things through , maybe not a this point but give or take by (mid ) 2010 thing with pick up by then jack

October 6, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  126. David D, Abel, York, PA

The economy isn't getting worse, but it's not getting any better in this town. I would not call an economy going nowhere an improving economy. It's just one that's stopped backsliding any further. I know various people who are struggling just to hang on. The recession may be slowing, but we aren't seeing any recovery right now. Harley-Davidson has a major plant here, but they're considering moving it out of this town. God help us all if it does.

October 6, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  127. Richard

The real question is how are we going to created 7 million jobs. A country has to manufacture/build/create something to sell to create prosperity. Why not pass a health care reform package with a single payer system, take the health care cost out of the manufacturing sector, creating for US companies an incentive to bring those overseas jobs back home. Taxes may be increased to pay the single payer system but it would be cheaper than paying health insurance premimums, co-pays, deductibles and etc. And we would have jobs again. Is that too hard to understand?

October 6, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  128. LUCI - ILLINOIS

Did you ever think that the job, banks, and economy seemed to be good until it was time for Bush to leave and then all heck broke loose. Do you ever admit that this is because of the previous administration? No, everything seems to be put on Obama's shoulders. Yes, I think things are picking up, but he needs more than a few months. Most of the factory jobs were all shipped out before this President got in. Who cares what Greenspan says, he is part of the problem. He and the GOP kept the mess a secret. Be fair.

October 6, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  129. Bill

Jack,

Some construction workers went back to work in the Atlantic City area after the Chinese Government took over the financing of the stalled Revel Hotel Casino project.

Bill
    Galloway, NJ

October 6, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  130. Stephen

I have seen zero improvement in th job market, in fact the opposite.
    I have been unemployed since July 4th and have since applied for literally hundreds of jobs while collecting unemployment benefits that are rapidly running out. The emergency-extended benefits and the new proposed extended benefits only apply to people who have been out of work for much longer than I have been. What's going to happen to me when my unemployment checks dry up a week before Christmas?

Stephen
    New York City

October 6, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  131. Angie

The banks caused this mess with their greed and their friendly lending institutions and free lance lending brokers who swindled people out of their homes as they rased rates and created a lawless prime loan.

It is the Banks who caused this mess in the first place, while leaving businesses without the ability to pay their bills to keep their businesses going and pay for their employees.

It is the banks who caused this mess in the first place.
    So when do we see these CEO and top EXECUTIVES of Chase and the others spend some time in prison.

October 6, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  132. Antonio from Washington D.C.

As a people, all we have to is work together properly with ease! That's how the job market will decrease! Let's put aside our differences and JUST WORK TOGETHER CORRECLTY!

October 6, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  133. MNet

From Dallas, TX.

Though the economy appears to be improving, certain jobs are not seeing any benefit. Architects for example currently face a 60% unemployment rate according to my head hunter. He also states that 30% of those laid off leave the city for various reasons. One reason is obviously the unemployment rate for architects. The other is that many of these architects were on immigration visas with a sponsor. Without their sponsor they must return to their country of origin.

If banks who received our bail out money do not lend as promised there will be no construction. Without construction there is little need for architects.

October 6, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  134. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Hi Jack,

there will be a need to extend safety net and new tax incentives for businesses but if we want to see economic recovery and job creations I would hope the administration will be tougher on any entity that abuses regular folks that hope of getting out of their situation of debt from such abuses we are seeing now being done from the credit card companies in order to make some bucks before the new law takes effect...this needs to be condem! I guess we cannot expect anymore the same old ways of job creation from big companies since they seem to be careful for now...it all boils down to the local business economy and hopefully the greener local economy for manufacturing of new greener products and services as well as new health industry for prevention care, homecare services. Food industry, health industry, environmental industry, as well as energy industry.

October 6, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  135. Jerry McWilliams Sr, North Aurora, IL

Jack, this is the way I see things now. The economic will start growing again but not the way we want it too. We expect our government to do everything for us not knowing that we need to get going with ideas and plans of our own. We don't understand what going on right now and it's pretty simple, the World is changing and we better understand how to change with it or we will become the lost forever.

October 6, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  136. Susan Herbst

No. If it did, then I wouldn't be sitting here answering your questions instead of working in the office.....

October 6, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  137. Jasmine in Germany

In general, the U.S. capitalistic system is flawed in that it doesn't have enough regulation designed to truly protect the US American people. Decisions are too frequently made to benefit a few, as opposed to benefit the country as a whole.

October 6, 2009 at 6:41 pm |
  138. Tommy Perkins

I luckly was able to hold on to the job I had through the ressesion as did all my family members. At the end of the month I will be starting my own apartment cleaning business. Were I already have my first contract.

October 6, 2009 at 6:42 pm |
  139. aidanfoley

Not yet. I'm still looking!

Aidan in Mesa, AZ

October 6, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  140. Peter

Jack

I don't see the Job Market improving for quite some time. As long as big corporations keep raising production standards for their employee's they will not have to. Why should they hire anyone when it is cheaper to sucker punch the life blood of the American worker.

Peter NY

October 6, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  141. Ken in Kansas

Jack,
    I have two masters and two bachelors degrees, one an MBA in marketing. I did some back alley investigation as to why I didn't get hired for a position I interviewed. I was informed, "You are over qualified and over educated." That is what I can conclude as to why I can't get hired, no matter were I apply. I suppose that being 63 years old doesn't help either. I've been through this before during the Reagan years, so I'm not after ones pity. I'll just persevere. Thanks for bringing this to the forefront, Jack. Ken

October 6, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  142. Michelle

As an unemployed 28 year old with a Masters degree I can tell you first hand that in Los Angeles the job market is in no way getting better – in fact it is getting worse, MUCH worse! I've been interviewing since January and have had no luck, and the sad thing is that most of the jobs I've interviewed for are a step above an unpaid internship. So if there is any job growth in the near future, the question you need to ask is "What types of jobs are growing" because I don't know about you, but most of us can't work the hours and wages of glorified unpaid internships.

October 6, 2009 at 6:46 pm |
  143. Darlene Livingston

I went to a job fair today and was shocked. The lines were as far as you can see ..1000s. I've never seen anything like it. Until you see the faces of the unemployed it just a harmless statistics. The jobs were mostly minimum wage and as these Companies find highly qualified people to replace people for half the salary everyone will suffer.
    It people physicians, professors nurse's jobs and etc, are imported and manufacturing customer service is exported. The American worker is being trown away like toxic waste as Corporations find other countries t buy their toxic products.
    Why doesn't CNN show pictures of the line of unemployed workers? A picture is worth a thousand words.

October 6, 2009 at 6:49 pm |
  144. joseph

joseph

From Germany, Landshut.

Jack, I think the Job market is begining to improve in the US , with the help of the stimulus page that was pass in the senate has cause jobs and increase alots of jobs and and makes the economy to improve and we can see now that the world is recovering from the world recesssion, and we heard the California Governor praising the Obama administration and said the economy has cause alot of Jobs, I think the Obamas economic team has done well.

October 6, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  145. Steve in Benicia, CA

Jack:
    I've been watching you and Wolf for just about a year now. You see, I had the time because I lost my job at a major financial institution just before Christmas last year. The job market in California is worse than the national market as indicated by the numbers, worse still for those like me who are in the "in-between" years and are of a "certain age" - too young to retire and to old to rehire.

So, to answer your question: No, I personally have seen no improvement in the job market. Have applied for 95 jobs and have had only 4 interviews. What life! But, I've enjoyed getting to know you, Wolf and the Situation Room gang.

October 6, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  146. Adam Simi Valley, CA

Only the naive think things are getting better. We may not be falling off the cliff any more, but we are still sliding down the economic mountain. Without shrinking the government's involvement and removing the shackles from the free market with government imposed inefficiency, we may never extricate ourselves from this mire. We may be destined to be like France, where poor quality and high unemployment are rampant or worse, like the USSR with the government running everything.

October 6, 2009 at 6:52 pm |
  147. Donald in CA

The job market will never be the same because jobs will continue to be outsourced to other countries. Ford and GM cant build average cars that are good as the ones Toyota and Nissan build. Go in Sams Club and Costo and you cant find a tag on a clothing item that says built in America. As long as Obama is in office this will make the GOP proud.

October 6, 2009 at 6:54 pm |
  148. David Strauss

The economy isn,t better it's worse.I am an independent contractor making 20% of what I used to make and they don't count people like me. When the banks and credit card companies call me for money all of their people are calling from, India, Pakistan, the Phillipines and south america> In the meantime they fired all of their american employees who can't find work either. What is going on ? Is this becoming a Country for only the rich and affluent ?

October 6, 2009 at 6:57 pm |