September 29th, 2009

How important is Obama's Denmark trip to lobby for Olympics in Chicago?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

In what may be a risky political decision, President Obama is headed to Copenhagen, Denmark this week to lobby to bring the 2016 Summer Olympics to his hometown of Chicago. Still no health care reform. Still no jobs.

The International Olympic Committee will vote on the destiny of the 2016 Summer Olympic Games on October 2 in Copenhagen after a final round battle between Chicago, Madrid, Tokyo and Rio de Janeiro.

But the White House says the president decided health care negotiations are "in a better place now," and they point out that bringing the games to Chicago could help the U.S. economy.

First Lady Michelle Obama will be going to Denmark too. She's vowing to "take no prisoners," and compares the lobbying effort to the presidential campaign. Really?

Leaders from the other three contending countries - Brazil, Spain and Japan - are also expected to make appearances in Copenhagen - but it's a first for a U.S. president.

Here's the problem: President Obama was just talking to world leaders at the G-20 Summit about the importance of doing something to curb global warming. What size carbon footprint does this little field trip to Hans Christian Andersen land leave?

Think about it - for the president to travel overnight to Europe Thursday and return Friday... it will take not one, but two 747 airplanes... plus a military transport plane to haul his bulletproof limo and other vehicles. Then there's staff, Secret Service, VIPs traveling along... not to mention hotels, cars, etc. while in Europe.

All for something that could have been done on a video conference from the White House. Just a thought.

Here’s my question to you: How important is Pres. Obama's trip to Denmark to lobby for the Olympics to come to Chicago?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Chuck writes:
Not at all important to me. Having voted Democrat in the last 3 elections, I'm sensing it's time for a change. Apparently the potential for an nuclear confrontation with Iran, nationwide double digit unemployment, the prospect of the ranks of uninsured maybe doubling or tripling because of Democratic pandering to health insurance companies, and two failing wars are not enough to keep this guy focused. Another self-important politician who has already run his course with me and I suspect a good number like me. 2016 Olympics? I'm not sure the nation will last that long.

Esther from Ohio writes:
Jack, After the beating of that child in Chicago, I wouldn't want the Olympics to come to that city. Sorry, but I would be afraid for the foreigners who come to this country that the punks in that city would attack them and ruin what little of dignity we have left. We have turned our eyes off this for far too long; the crime rate in Chicago is horrible and the children that are running in the streets make me afraid to ever want to visit Chicago again.

Aaron writes:
Exceptionally important. Returning the Olympics to America would hold special meaning for us, in a diplomatic sense, if we could host a worldwide event within our borders and show that we're team players again. And sending our president, one of the most powerful men in the free world, to personally make that appeal says that we're serious about rejoining the rest of the world in the spirit of fellowship. After the last eight years, it's a boost we could really use.

Ken writes:
Think of all the jobs that would be created years ahead of the Olympics. American jobs, you know, building things? How about the billions in tourist dollars spent in America? As far as a carbon footprint, the Olympics create a Sasquatch-sized footprint with all the tourists and athletes that travel for the event. Seeing as these people are going to travel anyway, why not to America?

Mike from Syracuse, New York writes:
How about a 'take no prisoners' approach with Iran and North Korea? What this president seems to consider important baffles the mind. We've lost 3 million jobs since he took office, the commanding general in Afghanistan says he needs 40,000 more troops and he's worried about who gets to sell T-shirts at the Olympics.

Filed under: President Barack Obama
  1. Gary Shortridge

Come on give the president a brake, he's going to represent his city and his country. We should be proud that he would take this on his shoulders, to once again bring the Olympics back to the Unites States.Its an honor to host the games and I hope he is successful.

September 29, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  2. JC

What a waste of my money – I live in Florida and what are the Olympics in Chicago going to do for me. I am tired of this Presidents spending money like it is water. To bad it does not come out of his personal pocket book – maybe he would not be such a spender

September 29, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  3. Bob M

Jack

This is one of the rare times I totally agree with you. President Obama's Olympic support could be done without wasting taxpayer dollars on an overnight flight package by using a teleconference.

Bob M.

September 29, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  4. Christie Abraham

I think it is utterly stupid. When I first heard this my first thought was I hope we're not paying for this. But after hearing what you had to say about what this trip all entails, I guess we are.

I am unemployed, 60, without much chance of a job at my age in this economy. I don't really think having the Olympics in Chicago is going to help change things for "ordinary people."

I feel the president has gone too far this time. He is going to lose a lot of support over this little outing, and it will be well deserved.

Thanks for listening Jack and bringing these things to the attention of all Americans (well, all Americans that are sane and watch CNN).

September 29, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  5. Lisa

No. He shouldn't go Jack!!!!! I live in Chicago. When this mess runs over money wise it is us the taxpayers who have to foot the bill. For a President who made 9 million campaign promises he has yet to deliver on almost all of them. This is a waste of taxpayer money. I would like a job or better yet an economy which is going to foster the growth our country needs right now to create the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yet again another instance where washington is out of touch with the people!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 29, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  6. Jeff

Well worth the money if he stays there....................

September 29, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  7. Clark Smith

I don't have a problem with it. About time the world comes here and spend money, instead of us spending our money overseas. I wish him the best !!!!!!!!

September 29, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  8. bill from North Carolina

Jack It's about as important as me flying to Ireland to play three holes of golf , eating the best steak they have then fly home ,all at the taxpayers expence.

9. Karen Dutton

I am outraged about this trip, one more illustration of the bad judgment we have seen for some time, his recent comments that the public's displeasure with Wall Street policies and huge bonuses, being no different than football players or Silicon Valley executives, just makes me convinced that we have another politician that has no intention of fixing any of this. With our foreign nightmares, the health care mess, and the American people hung out to dry, why oh why, Denmark? I voted for this guy and am regretting it more every day.

Healdsburg, California

10. Smuhamm

If it is about increasing revenues here in America let the President Obama do what he does best – influence and negotiate, I wish that folks would stop micro managing every step and breathe that he takes, the President knows what he is doing.

11. Ryan, Galesburg IL

The commentary on this trip has been ridiculous. We had eight years of a President who brought nothing but war and fear, and the media are piling on Obama for trying to bring something productive to our land.

12. Babs from Los Angeles

Jack, I really like you, but you just had a Foxnews moment. Of course, it's important for the president to lobby for the Olympics. Think about the amount of jobs it would create for our floundering economy and how it would restore America's image across the world! This is what we elected the president to do. It's his job. Duh!

13. Mark

he should be attending to more important "commander in chief"situations and stop campainging.

14. Jeff Maglione

I agree. With our governments overspending it would be prudent to save the millions that it will cost by using other means.
    Don't we remember how Congress belittled the auto executives for flying into DC on their Lear Jets?

15. Henry Guise

Jack,

2016 is the last year of President's second term. Hosting the Olympics as the President of the United States in his own hometown, Chicago, would be a magnificent exclamation mark to a journey that started merely as a community-organizer in the same city.

Henry Guise
    Vancouver, Canada

16. Michael in Hawaii

Obama's trip will be worth it if Chicago gets the games. The 3 airplanes and related costs are a drop in the bucket compared to the payoff to our economy if the US wins its bid. If we lose... it was worth a shot!

17. cindy-San Francisco

I think it is okay for him to go to lobby for the Olympics to be in Chicago. My goodness, everything this man tries to do is for the good of our country, and has only been in office 9 months. How much did it cost the taxpayers everytime G.W. Bush went to Crawford on vacation? Remember he took more vacations than we can count..

18. Bobby

Jack,

The only way it would be worth it is if Obama gets the Olympic Committee to add a new event: The 100 Meter Public Option.

Bobby
    Studio City, CA

19. frankie

You can't really be part of the world community by videoconference. Besides, isn't he allowed to be a maverick?

20. Mike

Oh brother. I hope he is getting a 1099 form for this perk. His priorities are way out of wack.

21. Jeff Shilling

Jack,

After all the Bush bashing you did over the years, it's nice to see you are an equal opportunity criticizer when you talk about Obama's plans for the Olympic trip.

If he goes, he loses a lot of credibility regarding some of the things he is supposed to stand for.

22. Gloria from Santa Ana, CA

President's Obama's trip to Denmark is as important as Michelle Obama makes it important. Brazil's first lady laid the gauntlet so, carbon footprint be damned....take no prisoners! That'll show Brazil! (Faint recollections of the New Yorker Magazine cover ???).

23. Scott Bornstein

Jack, I think this is important. First, jobs would be created nearly instantly after the announcement. Second, the tourism dollars generated by the Olympic games provide future growth and development. Let's at least agree that the 18 hours the President will be involved in this venture will not derail health care, the economy or anything else. He took a well earned vacation for over a week. The time and effort for this event could provide a job, with vacation, for those of us really in need.

As far as the carbon footprint; we did more damage bringing Gadhafi here then this trip will provide.

Scott B
    Lakeland, FL

24. Jacques

Jack,

I guess you don’t understand how politicians work. Do you think Mr. President cares about the logistics or footprint that he will leave for a one day trip to Denmark? President Obama owe a lot of people favors, and this I’m sure is for the love of Chicago and all the business people that will be awarded contracts to develop the village and whatever else is need if the Olympics are awarded to Chicago. I really like our president but he is still a politician.

EJ
    Florida

25. Will from Sunrise Florida

This is about as helpful as lighting a match in a fireworks factory. And this will boost the US ecnomy? Maybe he should ask Nagano, Japan about how bad their economy was after hosting the Winter Games. Building millions of dollars worth of venues for one event is not that good of an idea economically speaking. This seems to be more like a distraction from more important matters to gain support... much like the war in Iraq was.

26. Tom Mytoocents Fort Lauderdale Florida

Jack

His focus on Chicago should be with the 30 children murdered in school.

27. Norma

It's very important, just think about it, he's doing whatever he can to help the U.S. economy. He has to rely on everyone else to bring about his ideas for almost everything else. He is used to doing what he can to the best of his abilities and not rely on so many people, but he realizes that just doesn't quite work in passing the laws he would like. Therefore, whatever he can do his self, he will do. I wish he just schooled his party more on public health care, maybe he would have more in Congress behind him.

28. Gerard Canta

Not important at all. It's schmoozing. Every president has to do it. The other countries like the show. They like to see the Queen of England and The Pope too. Americans care only if it effects their paychecks, burgers and the pursuit of happiness through watching football. The rest is extra.
    Gerard Canta, North Arlington NJ

29. Lawrence D. Elliott

It is important to bring the Olympics to Chicago because it will bring the world to the US along with their money. Chcago is still in the US, isn't it? Instead of complaining about his trip, we should be impressed that this President is playing an active role in doing whatever he can to help this economy.

30. Tina, Toronto

Hi Jack:
    I think that it's a good idea...rather than giving a "far away pitch" for the 2012 Olympics from his oval office as it may be viewed by some, he goes there in person.
    I think that it would be a good thing for Chicago as well... it's also a way that Pres. Obama can talk about how they would host a "greener" Olympics there.
    He's from Chicago and can more emotion in his pitch. He's already a great orator. Good Luck. (I don't know about Oprah however).

31. bekahanne1@yahoo.com

I guess it would be too much to expect that the jetting to Denmark is coming out of the Obama's pocketbook and not the tax payers....

And.....for one night......and ..... with so much going on – not to mention terrorists in our backyard.

I sure would like to to know dollar amount this trip is gonna take because I bet there are a lot of families right now that don't have enough to eat, need to make a mortgage payment and/or need medical treatment.

I lost my job three years ago and haven't had the money for lots of things including a trip to Seattle to see my daughter and grands....

I think this trip should be cancelled.

32. Monty Kuttner

How important is President Obama's trip to Denmark? More important than Bush's trips to a ranch in Texas!

33. E. Alan

It's very important. I'm not sure what Chicago's chances are, but the country cancertainly use the revenue that will come from the games. and to have our country's extremely popular president leading the campaign can only be helpful.

34. Greg Howard

I think this is an incredible waste of time, money and resources. We have a faltering economy, troops in harm's way, and a myriad of other issues, and Obama feels this is the best of use of his time? This is another epic failure on the part of the administration to understand what WE THE PEOPLE want the government to be focusing on.

I'm sure it is not lost on anyone that this is being done to bring the Olympics to a city that put the capital C in "cronyism." Just another huge cash cow for corruption to feed upon. I want the President to be focused on the issues that really matter. He can send a video message or a personal emissary. Don't fly four very expensive aircraft to Copenhagen and waste time on this.

35. jennifer

Oh jack quit being such a grouch this would be good for chicago. Like the first lady said yesterday about people complaining about the president going to Denmak. Hes darned if he do it and hes darned if he dont do it. Soo take a chill pill.

garland tx

36. Betty Frey

Never, ever thought I'd agree with Mr. Cafferty; however, the President's trip to pitch Chicago as the Olympics "city," is just another flagrant example of "do what I say, not what I do."

37. Jeannie from NC

Considering how many people could be put back to work if we DO get the Olympics in the USA, I don't mind a bit if Obama uses some of my tax dollars to try to bring in the business. This kind of boost to the economy could create the possibility of my husband getting to go back to work (laid off since April) !!! And anybody knows that the boost to the economy would ripple far beyond Chicago.

38. jim Blevins

It is far more than worth it. Personally, I agree with your disparagement - pure boredom. However, there are hundreds of millions of people that are absolutely ga-ga over the Olympics. In terms of economic stimulus, there is no bigger bang for the buck. Sending a message via teleconference would be seen by many as more American arrogance. As usual, Obama is doing exactly the right thing.

Jim, Craig, CO

39. Robert in Atlanta

Jack,
    the benefit or weighs the carbon foot print.
    Give us a break a better question would be if the murder of the young honor roll student would affect the sales plan.
    We have to think global.
    The Crown Prince and Princess of Japan and the Brazilian Presendent and his wife are going to plead their case.
    We need heavy weights too.

40. Nico

The amount of possible revenue and hope that could be potential makes it completely worth it for obama to go to denmak. Obama is taking things into his own hands and showing American's to just get things done in hope for the economy. Olympics would create so much potential income and jobs it pays to have someone trying!!!

41. Lisa P.

Absolutely, our President should go. We could all use a bit of a distraction right now, and bringing the Games to the Chicago could give us all a shot in the arm. Additionally, bringing the Games to Chicago will do so much for our second largest U.S.city whose unemployment rate is among the highest in the country. Jobs in manufacturing could be created all over the country as a result of the Games.This is important; he should go!!

42. Mike

Fairfax County Virginia

September 29, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  43. Jim/NC

Health Insurance is not in a good place...senate voted down the public option today. I heard that Michelle and Oprah are leaving two days ahead of the president. Who is paying for that?...I be Oprah isn't. When will our politicians learn that Americans are cutting back on everything they have done in the past, and politicians continue to spend like we have a surplus. When will this stop?

September 29, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  44. Jo Rungaitis

Obama still seems to think of himself as a superstar groping for the spotlight. Much too much in my face and going to Denmark when he can do a video conference is another way to once again waste hardworking taxpayers monies. God help us these next four years!

Joliet, IL

September 29, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  45. OBDAG in Appleton, WI

I think the presidents trip to Denmark this week will be key to Chicago to possibly be selected as the host city in 2016. The reason I feel that way is because this action will serve to put the committee on notice that the president is willing to help support any necessary infastructure cost to get Chicago in shape for that type of event. Without federal government backing of an effort of this type the selection might end up elsewhere. In terms of the economic benefit I am not qualified to gauge that but I would expect the value to the country city, and state could be tremendous and help get the jobs some people are looking for in both the short and long term. I hope President Obama and the first ladies effort pays off. I guess we'll find out in time wether the trip was worth the effort.down the line.

September 29, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  46. Dee, New York

He could save lots of our money and his time if he went the video conference route. He could spend all the saved time and money doing something else for all the folks back in Chicago- helping to stop their youngsters from killing each other. But that would not be as glamorous.

September 29, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  47. Jeff Maglione

Just wondering when Oprah Winfrey joined the US Diplomatic Corps?

September 29, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  48. andrea ayers

Not Important it seems like this administration is starting projects and nothing is being completed,,housing still going down, banks not helping homeowners, health care not resolved, war on terrorist etc etc etc...... Oh yeah and unemployment at a record high...So my thoughts sit down focus on open projects and get them done!

September 29, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  49. Rahul

The benefits outweigh the cost, Jack. The Olympics is a huge economic stimulus which we can really use; its good economics.

Connecticut.

50. Butch Whitmon

This trip is very important. And no Jack, a video conferance is not the same as a personal visit, not by a long shot. Does everything Obama does have to be nit picked to death?...no matter it's importance. I like that our President is making positive, personal contact with leaders and Governments around the world. Get over it Jack. The cost, ecological or monetary, is worth the prestige if we get the 2016 games. If we don't, well, I'm sure President Obama's critics will not award him an E for effort; but I will.

September 29, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  51. Richard, Kankakee, IL.

Well lets see, tens of thousands of good paying jobs, a new stadium, businesses pulling in close to a hundred thousand in less then a month, new road construction, clean up the city, and people being nice again because they are making money again! I see no downside to it at all! And no matter where the President goes all of the stuff goes with him, it part of the package, he gets protected where ever he goes just like all the other Presidents did so stop complaining!

52. ppinkston

It seems as if this President is always in a no win situation. If he goes to Denmark his critics will cry "excess", but he if he doesn't those same critics will say he isn't trying hard enough to help the economy. It took eight years to get in this mess. I'd rather have someone in charge who at least appears to be trying to fix things than someone who always makes excuses why we can't.

53. Jerry

I know what is more important and that is Healthcare and Afganistan. The Foot print that you mention involving the trip is incrdedilbly pathetic. He should be in his office working the members of congress ala Johnson. This is not the way a leader should be performing.
    Half of the people in Chicago don't want the Olympics in their city. Stay the hell home Mr. President.

54. Jim

This presidency is turning into a championship "Junket" for the Obama family.
    With the way things are today, I would think that this president and his family would NOT want to look like Marie Antoinette.

Jim
    Bethesda MD

55. Frank Nardo Cape Coral

If you give it some thought, Obama going to Copenhagen is the right thing for him to do, after all that's what community organizers do best right? If he stays in Washington with all of the problems going on in the house and senate over healthcare, which is proving to be over his head, he may as well do something useful for a "Change" which he campaigned for.

56. Kathy

It's absolutely ridiculous for the President to do this...when is he going to stop acting like a community organizer and act like a President! I also think this shouldn't be done on taxpayer money. The question here is...would he be going over there if it wasn't Chicago??? Let Chicago pay for it.

57. Will from Beaufort, South Carolina

I just don't understand. Does Chicago have money for this? Does it have the willpower? I understand this is all the way in 2016 but we won't be in the Jetsons yet by then. If I recall Chicago has some gang and shooting violence of school age kids to take care of first. The deaths from just kids in shootings this year each month rival monthly american and international coalition afghanistan deaths and even surpass in one month this year. This year being the deadlist year in afghanistan as well. Its really pathetic.

58. Robert In Chicago

Jack,
    This is ridiculous for the President to do. Especially anyone that lives in Chicago with a brain doesn't want the Olympics here anyway. This money that can be spend on the silly things like health care or education. That's why there is a protest against the bid downtown Chicago today. We don't support the bid 2016.

59. Zebbie

Not a very smart move,as the same thing could have been done from the White House and for a lot less tax payer dollars, a lot less.

60. Steve Richmond

Jack,

Lay off the President. Have you ever thought of how many jobs might be created if the Olympics were held in Chicago? It seems to me to be a trip worth taking.

Steve
    Corona, California

61. richard a. winkler

The trip is a waste of time. But, we are used to that, all of Bush's trips were a waste of time.

62. Paul

After the public option plan for healthcare was defeated I would rather you ask who in the congress do we blame for leaving millions of people without the protection they need for illnesses.Talking about a trip to Europe isn't important.

Paul

63. Lisa P.

Absolutely, our President should go! We could all use a bit of a distraction right now, and bringing the Games to the Chicago could give us all a shot in the arm. Additionally, bringing the Games to Chicago will do so much for the second largest U.S.city whose unemployment rate is among the highest in the country. Jobs in manufacturing could be created all over the country as a result of the Games.This is important; he should go!!

Lisa P.
    Amherst, NH

64. Jason-Milwaukee

Jack,

Yes, the President SHOULD GO to promote Chicago for the Summer Olympic Games. The revenue it will bring to my state is exactly why I voted for President Obama. He realizes that brass tax we need the money ( Illinois and Wiscosin) and pulling out all the stops to ensure that at the end of the day all that revenue is in the U.S. is fine by me.

He is the President, a glorified cheerleader for an already depressing nation. At least someone is concerned that we as a nation won't curl into a fetual postiton cause we are to pig head to get up and change our surroundings.

65. Ted Cunningham

I think it is a total waste of taxpayers money for the Pres and the first Lady to be tripping to Denmark for the Olympic Games.
    Talk about a P.R. problems for the Danish Government with those two coming for a very short time, plus the cost to the Danes.
    He should be staying in the U.S. and looking after the problems we have here.
    We have a very good Olympic committee and if they cannot secure the games for us then I can't see the Obama's doing any better.

66. andy

Non concrete action on unemployment, no change in foreign policy, rather worse, no success in health care reform, continuing with financing billionaires. I am not sure what was CHANGE he was talking about. Let me enjoy his time in Denmark. Environment? Who cares

67. David in San Diego

It's not particularly important, but can only help Chicago's chances. The "carbon footprint" issue is bogus–if the government is expected to attend to that in every way, then bringing our troops home from Uraq/Afghanistan (saves American lives, too) and curtailing our naval fleets' constant patrols would do a lot more for the environment. But, of course, reducing carbon-based environmental damage is only one element in overall government needs and priorities.

68. lanch

Let's get off the president. He just can't win for losing, Jack ,Jack, Jack 😦 Let's give him a chance.

69. Peggy

What a total waste of the taxpayer's money! How about spending some of that money on crime in Chicago. 290 teens killed alone last year. We need a leader in this counrty, not a rock star.Bet Michelle told him he has to go. From a registered Democrat who is tired of the games.

70. Lawrence D. Elliott, Ontario, California

It is important to bring the Olympics to Chicago because it will bring the world to the US along with their money. Chcago is still in the US, isn’t it? Instead of complaining about his trip, we should be impressed that this President is playing an active role in doing whatever he can to help this economy.

71. Cleveland in Chicago, IL

Before President Obama goes grovelling to Copenhagen to score a Chicago Olympics, perhaps he should come to Chicago and find out why gangs of Chicago kids are murdering Honor Roll students. The Windy City has become the Murder Metropolis.

72. Jane L

This is a perfect example of misuse of our taxpayer dollars. While many of us are struggling with unemployment, and diminished retirement funds, our elected leaders are out wasting money on frivilous pursuits. There's no reason he couldn't make a plea for the Olympics via. any of a number of electronic means (afterall Obama has made it clear, he's fond of all the new technology). Besides, honestly, how's getting the Olympics to Chicago going to benefit the rest of the country?? Just like the stimulus package, those dollars will only help a certain segment of the population, and you can be sure, it won't be the average working class citizen!

73. Carol Michigan

Very important if you consider the thousands of job, and the money it would bring to the Midwest, If the President's appearance would help the cause it would be well worth it.

74. Malcolm Moore

OH COME ON...Let the man have a break. Can we please not find a fault with everything he does. Can't we just say, Thank You for trying to bring the 2016 Olympics to Chicago. Stop whining about every move he makes...its getting tiresome.

75. SUMNER, Florida

No John i dont think its a good idea. It makes me wonder if Obama would be going if another city was in the runing for the Olympics. What about Michigan????

76. Dan - Eustis, florida

It is a big waste of time. The Olympics are passe, what with all the blood
    doping, growth hormones and steroids the Olympics are nothing more
    than a pharmaceutical convention. The President has much more pressing issues, such as Health Care reform and regulations for the
    crooks on Wall St. Oh and there are the wars, Iran, Israel and the
    Palestinians, Immigration reform and on and on. Yet he is worried about
    Chicago getting the Olympics. What is in the water in Washington !

77. Nancy Mahaffey

Crazy|||| There are too many more important issues to be dealt with. The cost of this trip is unbelievable|||| .

78. Marvin Muskat - San Diego,CA

Denmark? Just another example of our President's inexperience as
    regards his current job. Those of you who voted for him deserve him.

79. steve

Here it is Jack: If you're for Obama, going to Hansland is a good deal. If you voted for Bush twice and love Sarah, it sucks.

On the other hand if any US city, Chicago notwithstanding, gets the Olympics wouldn't the benefits far outweigh the costs of getting it? And, don't you really think an in-person meeting trumps a video conference?

80. alan

unfortunately, its still very important to be at the meeting in person, a video conference would not have the same effect. Modern politics has yet to catch up with the times.

81. Lindsay

The President should be able to balance his time and determine his objectives and priorities without everyone getting all up in arms. With all he has on his plate, having a moment of down time with less stress will be a positive thing for him to do. He is One HUMAN person who should not have to be knocked around verbally 24/7 for EVERYTHING he does. He can't please everyone ALL the time and with this 24 hr news cycle, someone is always complaining. Get off his back and let him live a little. It will be very good for CHICAGO to get that Bid. Other leaders of their countries will be there and their people are PROUD. America is always whinning....

82. Sam Craig

What a waste. How could anyone possibly choose Chicago over Rio, Madrid, or even Tokyo? Waste of time, money, and effort.

Sam, Norman OK

83. Randy

Dear Jack,

I think that getting the Olympic games in Chicago would be a great thing for our country. It would provide a great number of jobs and be very helpful to our economy. We are facing difficult times in our country and I think that obtaining such an important event will help boost our national pride at a time when it is sorely needed.

84. Ashley(nc)

Very important because the olympics will create jobs and god knows we need it.look at how the olympics had help Atlanta.

85. paul seidelman

very little time for potentially a lot of jobs and money......not a bad deal for a president who works his butt off and doesnt have a ranch in Texas

86. Nicole

Obama is so out of touch with reality that it is scary. It seems he cannot live without adulation. It is frightening to see that his priorities are so screwed up that he feels it is mandatory for him to go to Copenhagen rather than deal with nuclear Iran, health care and Afghanistan. I voted for a President that would be on top of things, not one that prefers to be a celebrity. How Disappointing.

87. Stelios A

Obama possibly winning jobs by gaining the Olympics is very much worth the pollution his planes will cause. What about all the reporters who jet set around the world to report on Paris Hilton's sex tapes? Or Michael Jackson's chimp Bubbles? I think Obama's efforts to improve our economy is a little more important.

88. Philly/PA

It is time to rent out Obama's White House Office since he is never there.
    When he is voted out of office he should go to Hollywood. He is really Great at Photo opts.

Phyllis/ Media, PA

89. elyce

Only important to the Obama's, who get another mini-vacation on the taxpayer dollar!

90. j

can you imagine if president bush did this. oh my gosh. people would complain, complain complain. then they would complain some more.

91. Bill Schober

Total cost for the President's trip, 1 to 5 mil, is a drop in the bucket compared to what it would mean to Chitown and the U.S. if he brings back the cake
    (not only in dollars but in PRIDE to Chicago, Illinois and the U.S.).

92. monica von berndt

Jerome Idaho This is another example of when President Obama does something he does it to the fullest degree I think that this trip is commendable it would help our economy much more then the money etc. that it cost for the trip and why is it just about everything that the President does someone will find fault with it I applaud this endeavor as another example of how much he is involved in this countrys achievments

93. Dave

I think Obama (and any president of this country) should be setting an example, rather than enjoying a lifestyle of entitlement. I am fairly moderate, and don't hearken to one party's ideology over the other too consistently, but I believe that actions speak louder than even the most eloquent words. If he wants to be the Mayor of Chicago, or even the Senator from Illinois, then he can do what he wants with those citizens' tax dollars. I am from Washington state, and I am a bit disappointed that my tax dollars are paying for publicity trips to Denmark.

94. Dot

How important is the stimulas plan? Did the stimulas also give this president money to travel all over? This is insane and I'm struggling to pay one bill of $77.00-I'm staying at home to figure out how I'm going to come up with this little amt., well, the gases that he has spewing about health care, stimulas, Guantronama is making me ill, of course Chicago is really important – what is in this for Oprah that's so important also?? PLEASE!!!

September 29, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  95. Rick in Northen California

Well it will be good for Chicago's economy but not for the nation. Save the jet fuel and get us some reasonable health care first. Then worry about Chicago. There isn't a chance in hell anybody would even consider having an Olympics in murder city usa anyway. Why waste your time.

September 29, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  96. Sherrie DeMello

We need jobs.!

The Olympics are important world wide but, come on what we need before it is too late.

is the "Creation of JOBS" today will help the economy. People will be more confident in spending when they are employed.

I've been out of work since July of this year. There are so many that have been out of work even longer than a year. For example i went to a test for a clerical pool and there were 70 persons testing for just 2 positions.

Here in the MS Gulf Coast where Hurricane Katrina hit there is construction every where. However every where i go there are more and more people out of work.

September 29, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  97. Ife

If this were a trip to the Middle East to ask for oil or some other resource this country doesn't have and needs, OBAMA traveling would not be an issue. If this were Bush going ANYWHERE under the disguise of fighting terrorism, this would not be an issue. I don't recall people up in arms when they're pensions were going down the drains when Bush needed to travel. No need to hide behind colorful words. Say what you feel and admit you have a problem with a man of color being the President of the US and he doesn't really have to ask your permission to go ANYWHERE.

September 29, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  98. Aundria

This is another of his knee-jerk decisions which will be paid for by U.S. taxpayers. Just add this to the long list of expenses already in place from his lack of level-headedness fueled by his arrogant, egotistical and self-centered manipulations of those who will be paying for years to come in an effort to get this great nation back on it's feet.

September 29, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  99. Tushar Dhoot

I'm from Campbellton, New Brunswick, Canada.

Jack, I believe that the cost of having President Obama fly to Europe and back with all his gear is more than outweighed by the money the olympics will bring in. Olympics is a big business, and I'm pretty sure that if anyone can convince them to bring Olympics back to the States, it's Obama.

I'm just wondering if the world can trust an Illinois politician after Blagojevich though.

September 29, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  100. Christopher Trilling

I believe the president's trip is more important than some realize. Unlike the other candidate countries, the United States is the only one that is not allowed to use government money to campaign for the olympics. This puts the United States at a disadvantage having to fundraise for its olympic campaign. The amount of money it takes to get the president to Copenhagen could do ten or twenty times more for the campaign than the equivalent amount donated to the campaign.

September 29, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  101. Josiah

Absolutely ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I'd like the Olympics held in the US as much as anyone. However, it is not necessary to send the President of the United States to lobby for his city to be chosen. If it were anywhere else in the country, I'm sure a video conference would be too much for him. Maybe he still thinks he is a community organizer! The point is that he isn't being the president here, and wasting my money while doing it.

September 29, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  102. Lomprie Koroma

This president really need to get his priority straight cause america is getting tired of their president been on the fantancy land instead of fucusing on the crisis at hand. This is not burger king Mr. President you cannot have it your way.

September 29, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  103. Karl Wilkins

Oookay!! Here we go. Something else to spin into a 'HUGE' controversy so as to make headlines. This, along with the President speaking to kids takes the cake. People, PLEASE..... get a serious grip on life. There is too much at stake and too many deathly serious issues facing us including the clear and present dangers of domestic terrorism, World War 3 teethering on the brink, fringe elements threatening to kill our President and Health Care Reform. Get Serious people.

September 29, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  104. Kenneth Jefferson

Too much trouble and expense for Obama to fly overseas to help bring olympics to Chicago? Sounds to me like you're just jealous Jack. . He takes up the charge from the largest of issues to the smallest of them. Tell the truth Jack, wouldn't you so the same IF YOU COULD.

September 29, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  105. ginger Blymyer

Hey Jack, Lets have a little fun instead of all war and terrorists and health care fighting. Laughter and smiles solve a lot more and friendship too. My husband who is gone now used to realize he got too serious. We do too. And just maybe the Olympics will bring lots of jobs to Chicago. Come on you can smile. I know you can.

September 29, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  106. bijoux mi

Common jack! With all the problems we have, we should be happy that we have a president who can walk and chew gum at thesame time.thank god "that last one" is not there.he turns to health care while handling the economy, they say he should only pay attension to the economy.the economy gets better then they say afghanistan .maybe jack must of us are just to slow to keep up but can u image bush handling all this problems?

September 29, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  107. Joel K Witt

I do not believe it is important at all. Not only is he putting his home town of Chicago ahead of the Afgan war (talked with war commander 1 time in 70 days), but he is also a Master hypocrite by chastising everyone else for there carbon footprint while he has a huge one that in this case is absolutley not necessary.
    Joel K Witt
    Tucson, AZ.

September 29, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  108. Chris O.

Jack,

I would have been more impressed if he'd gone to Georgia instead of sending Big Mouth Biden or if he'd went see the beating victim's mother or if he'd bothered to visit Louisiana, which he still hasn't done. Instead, he does something no other American President has ever done: prostitute the office for his own home city. Even Bush, who I thought was awful, never stooped so low for Texas.....never mind his hometown. Mr. President, I'm sure Harvard has a dictionary and pandering should have definitely been on the list of no-nos. Find some other way to pay back your "Union" friends. And stop trying to hide from the dirty work of being Black.

Virginia

September 29, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  109. Mary Ellis

The carbon footprint is indeed a serious issue. So is the surprising tin ear in the White House.

September 29, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  110. Shelley

Chicago residents don'[t want the Olympics but the Obamas say it will be good for them–like "his" vaguely detailed health care plan. Or his plan for extended school days/years. The details of that polan are also based on superficial elements. He looks at the surface and misses the complexity of issues underneath. So hIs trip is most important to his celebrity status. Once again he's overlooking the details that matter to the rest of us.

September 29, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  111. Kelly in Atlanta

Are you kidding me Jack? Why do you insist to yell fire when someone is simply trying to roast some marshmallows... Ridiculous.

The city of Chicago, or for that matter the State of Illinois is in desperate need of some serious help. The crime rate is out of control, the moral of the people has got to be at a huge low. They need this in order to start a regrowth period. I live in Atlanta, and we all know how much money hosting Olympics can bring to a city to help get it ready...

Not to mention, Obama before he was president, represented those people and is obviously still very interested in seeing them thrive.

September 29, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  112. Kay Neal (Florida)

I feel the money he is using to go there for the olympics to come to Chicago could be used at home fixing the foreclosure's, helping the ones at home! Why is he even doing this! He has no clue what he spends on himself and thinks nothing of it, I wish I had the money to fly when and where I want and have someone at my beck and call. Even if he is the President he should have some respect for the money he uses .. maybe he should use his money (around 400k) paycheck and pay for it himself, like the rest of us do. And for goodness sake drop the health care plan all together!!!!

September 29, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  113. Sheena1a

How important is this, get real, he is wasting more of all of our taxpayers money on himself and his family again. This man is all about himself period, the hell with the US. I have never seen a country so divided and so much racism talk as there is now since he took office, his plan??? To divide america? This is all so unreal, and its not funny.

September 29, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  114. John Meissner

Considering there are over 4,000 airplanes in the air at this time over United states alone, I don't think the presidents trip regarding waste is worth talking about....especially when you consider the world's air traffic at any given time. The resulting benefits of the flight far outweigh the relative fuel consumption. You did mention the increased economic trade going on while there, so actually it is a plus.
    A whole lot of airplanes (thousands) would need to be grounded worldwide for any impact on the carbon footprint to be significant. What would THAT do to the economy?

John Meissner,
    Sturgeon bay

September 29, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  115. James Palewski

The President is doing what he's good at, making speeches. He doesn't seem to be good at anything else!

September 29, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  116. Joan

Yes the President should make the trip. Just think of all the jobs there will be because of the Olympics. Do you remember that England received the Olympics because Tony Blair took charge and took an interest. So many other did the same for their country. The President I am sure will be working all the time he is out of the country for a short time.

Joan

September 29, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  117. Ken Deminick

Think of all the jobs that would be created years ahead of the Olympics. American jobs, you know, building things? How about the billions in tourist dollars spent in America.
    As far as a carbon footprint, the Olympics create a sasquatch sized footprint with all the tourists and atheletes that travel for the event. Seeing as these people are going to travel anyway, why not to America? Would you rather they go to some other country?

September 29, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  118. Marieth

President Obama is capable of juggling more than one thing at a time.

September 29, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  119. Marjorie (in) Maryland

The trip to Denmark is wrong at this time. It is nice that he wants to help his home state, but he is President of the entire US now, and there are other pressing issues. American troops are dying in the war zone, and many domestic problems remain. Whether he goes for 24 hours or two weeks, he is still spending a lot of tax payer money to bring this off, and, as you suggested, he could easily speak his mind by video conference. It is the wrong precedent to set. his powers of persuasion are best put elsewhere and definitely not in person.

September 29, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  120. Paul, in Chicago

Jack,

While this city would be thrilled to host the Games, many of us here in Chicago would rather see the President spending his limited time on issues of critical importance. Regardless of whether one supports the bid and the financing plan, I think we can all agree that there is a great deal of other work to be done that takes precedence.

September 29, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  121. George

More Chicago "Pay to Play". Why is everything Chicago with this administration?

September 29, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  122. Catherine

A Goliath carbon footprint will be danced down by the first couple in Copenhagen for sure but they will become only ballet steps if wars are concluded, universal health care becomes more than empty words and America's foreign entanglements are resolved.

September 29, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  123. Tom in Iowa

The Presidents trip is a waste of time and with the rampant crime in Chicago the International Olympic Committee would be crazy to let Chicago host the Olympics.

Tom in Iowa

September 29, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  124. Cleveland in Chicago, IL

September 29, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  125. Micah Faia

I think the president needs to focus more on the country's problems (like his decisions on troops in Afghanistan) and i really think that the olympics should be the last of his worries. I would have to say that his trip does nothing for us as a country. Plus, he's wasting money on military transport. You're right, he can very well video call Denmark from the white house and save money.

I am writing you from Afghanistan, and I am in the military as i type to you.

-Faia, Micah US Army

September 29, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  126. Jason

Its not he just love`s to travel on the taxpayer dime. So if he is going to go then he had better ask Japans Leaders why they put Mr.Christopher Savoie in jail & why his ex isn`t she kidnapped two kids from the U.S. ? It doesn`t matter what the laws are in Japan because she took them there with out court giving her legal right to do so.

September 29, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  127. ELISA WILLIAMS

Jack, I think if someone can tell me who paid for Pres. and Mrs.Bush
    to attend the week long stay at the Chinese Olympics so that Pres Bush can pat the U.S. ladies Volly Ball team tush, I will give this trip some thought

September 29, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  128. Edith (Ohio)

The President's job is never done. So far he has done many things not done by other U.S. Presidents. I guess this is part of the change he was talking about. The citizens of the U.S.A need to get use to change, because it's here! If his trip will have a positive effect on the U.S. and help the citizens of the U.S, including adding jobs (no matter how temporary)...than I say go get those Olympics! Even a temporary job is better than no job.

September 29, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  129. ramon

nope, better off going to Afghanistan and spread clarity on our troops mission and boost morale. Stop downsizing the force. Our defense is our priority and we have to finish what we started are 2wars going on. Im tired of health care nothing works anyway.

September 29, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  130. Mike in Colorado

Success would mean 20 billion dollars and tens of thousands of jobs for the Chicago region. The trip is well worth it. Additionally, President Obama can telephone and video conference from AF 1 just as he could from the oval office. Good luck Mr. President

September 29, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  131. troy

If you want something done right you have to do it yourself. If the president could take a Delta airline's boeing 747 insted of air force one to London with out someone tring to blow it up i'm sure he would.

September 29, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  132. Lisa Bruzzese

Jack, Two words.....STAY HOME!!! Young people are in harms way fighting in Afghanistan, the economy is falling apart, there are no jobs to be had, health care is a mess and he's trotting off to Copenhagen spreading his massive carbon footprint while we're all urged to drive smaller, fuel efficient cars!! He needs to spend more time behind his desk on Pennsylvania Avenue.

September 29, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  133. Robert

More important than the invasion and occupation of Iraq and a lot smaller footprint.

More important than flying from bushyboys vacation home in Crawford, TX to DC to sigh a bill to keep the body of a woman alive by artificial means who had been brain dead for 14 years and probably no larger footprint.

September 29, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  134. rich young

He is just taken the spotlight off his other failures and show that he can do more than one thing (another failure and waste of taxpayer dollars). It is not something that he needs to get involved in. He should be working on his other promises that will end up costing more tax dollars

September 29, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  135. Marion/Birmingham

Jack,We have People who are paid to bid on the Olympic game sites,So why is the president wasting our Tax dollars doing all this traveling,does he ever stay in his office?If he wanted to influence the out come he should have sent Sarah Palin.

September 29, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  136. will

Jack,

There must not be any news today?

Every President waste money and time on things that are not important, so what’s the big deal? If America gets the Olympics again it will mean opportunities for some people to gain some income and more tax dollars for the country.

I’m from Georgia

September 29, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  137. Sean Van Wie

Jack, didn’t you know? Pelosi said she’s paying for the trip and got the okay from her buddy Al Gore. Besides the fact that Nancy found savings for the trip in the healthcare reform bill, Obama gave a two thumbs up for the new congressional jets. 😉
    Sean Van Wie, Winter Haven FL

September 29, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  138. Erik

It does seem pointless with all of the things, which may be viewed as more important, like Healthcare, but it is also important to realize that is not the only thing the President does in office. It is just as important to make sure that he doesn't lose sight of the fact that more things than complaining about each other in Congress need to be done. It is a great move on his part to make sure that he takes opportunities given to him to aide in the reconstruction of the U.S. economy, regardless of relative contextual importance.

September 29, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  139. Chase

Jack,
    President Obama's decision to travel to Copenhagen to to lobby for the Olympics in Chicago is a huge political miscalculation. Obama has already spread himself too thin due to the myriad of domestic and international dilemmas at present, and has been forced to leverage his immense initial political capital in an attempt to address these dilemmas. By going to Copenhagen, Obama is leaving himself vulnerable to a very public and very embarassing situation is his bid for Chicago is unsuccessful. A loss in Denmark would result in more than the Olympics not coming to Chicago; it would result in Obama appearing weak to his opponents – domestic and international alike.

Chase
    Atlanta, GA

September 29, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  140. mike elliott

alittle bit more important than the bush trip to iraq to dodge shoes and inflame an allready intense situation. and by the way' how much did that trip cost the taxpayers?

September 29, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  141. Cleveland in Chicago, IL

September 29, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  142. Karen Wood

Jack,
    Obama's effort to win the Olympics for Chicago is an important one – it will create jobs and help business in an area of the U.S. that really could use a boost. I fail to see how an 18 hour trip is going to adversely affect Obama's efforts in other areas. Seems to me we flew Bush and his family to the Olympics when he was President – and that was hardly a mission with a purpose.

Karen Wood
    Lincoln, CA

September 29, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  143. Glenn

Jack
    I believe Pres. Obama could give his support without to the Olympics without spending a lot of taxpayer money. He needs to walk his talk when it comes to using good judgement in spending money (especially the taxpayers). He seems to be using his position to act like a rock star rather than a good leader. I believe Chicago could best be spending its money on improving its school system and there is no doubt in my mind that we will be giving them a lot of our tax dollars if they should get the Olympics. Lets look at Atlanta and LosAngeles and ask if they really gained from hosting the Olympics. I believe the president was elected to serve the people of the U.S.A. and not himself and his friends.
    Glenn
    Florida

September 29, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  144. Anne Klein

Our president needs to stay home and continue to fight for health care reform. Who cares about the Olympic games when so many of us are without health insurance? It's a slap in our face that all this money is spent on a trip to Denmark for a sales pitch on a day when public option is being shut down by his fellow democrats. How can White House say that "health care negotiations are “in a better place now" ??
    Anne, Benicia CA

September 29, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  145. Tia - Maryland

The trip could bring jobs and tourism to the US. I think it makes sense. Chicago would need to start doing development planning and infracture changes almost immediately. Then as time goes on more jobs would be created for transportation, hospitality etc. people should stop being so short sited.

September 29, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  146. Charlie

Cost way to much to spend at a time like this.
    Should we try to bring people from around the world to see Chicago,
    one of the worst cities in America.Just look at their politics, the worst in the country. Of course our new President got his political training there.
    So now I know anything can happen in America.

September 29, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  147. Sully Hulin

Jack,

It won't work but he do a 180 on going to Denmark to lobby for Chicago. There are more important issues for him to discuss than the Olympics coming to Chicago.

Sully Hulin
    St. Martinville, LA

September 29, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  148. Dan from Alliance, OH

I believe this might be a good idea. If we can get the Olympics in an American city, like Chicago, that would mean a lot of money and jobs to get the city ready for this global event.

September 29, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  149. nellie

Jack, you failed to mention, the billions of dollars and jobs this event would bring to the mid-west. Why did you offer your opinion first, if this is suppose to be a question and response segment?

September 29, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  150. Alabama

At least he is trying to do something good by bringing jobs to Chi Town.

September 29, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  151. Annie, Atlanta

Pretty important for his adopted home town, I’d say. And can you just imagine the outrage if he didn't go to put in a good word? I can.

September 29, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  152. donald johnson

yes Jack, its important that he go to Denmark. look at it as an investment. if he's the icing on proposal and we end up with the big O it will be a much needed economic boost. (you could have done a lot better than this jack; get a life)

September 29, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  153. Flyingwolf, Manchester NH

If he didn't go to Copenhagen, he'd look like the biggest wuss since Jimmy Carter. Even though Pres. Obama has a lot on his plate internally, he has to keep remembering that the US isn't the only country on the planet. By the way, how come your spell check recognizes words like "wuss" and hasn't been programmed to recognize "Obama."

September 29, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  154. John S

You wouldn't think the President would have to be reminded about the problems here at home that needs to be addressed immediately, but perhaps he has forgotten about the far too many people in THIS country on unemployment, who have a tough time paying their rent or mortgage, put food on their table, put clothes on their back, put gas in their car, pay for health care, etc. etc. etc. Stop spending OUR money on things that don't matter ......... stop coming to the rescue of everyone else in the world, let the Olympics be held somewhere else, and let's start REALLY taking care of ourselves! STOP WASTING OUR MONEY!

September 29, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  155. Ron - Baltimore, Maryland

Great question Jack. Let's ask ourselves this, we are in (some say coming out of) a recession. We continue to have people loosing their homes, jobs, health insurance etc. Our unemployment rate is at an all time high. We are fighting two "WARS", dealing with numerous foreign policy issues, concerned about the spread of the H1N1 flu, fighting terrorist plots against us and are acting like fools in congress. Can we even afford to hold these games knowing that we will probably need to spend a "BILLION" dollars or more to stage the games.

I mean no disrespect to Chicago but is this the right city to hold these games, (they can't keep their own students alive) just because our president is from their should not influence this decision.

I leave in Baltimore, Md and was very greatfull that we were eliminated from the possible cities.

September 29, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  156. DawnL,CA

The truth is the US cannot afford the Olympics. Forget about all the people coming to the US-think about what Chicago will have to build with the taxpayers money. Think about Chicago politics & all the unions.
    Pres. Obama needs to stay home (for a change) & take care of the economy & massive job loss, not to mention the healthcare reform.

September 29, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  157. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Having the Olympics in the U.S. will create jobs and revenue that could be "outsourced" to another country if the President doesn't lobby against it.

September 29, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  158. Susie Aronson

Obama and his wife should be traveling to Chicago if anywhere, to console the family of Derrion Albert, an innocent 16 year old honor student, who was going to his school bus when he was punched in the face, hit in the head with a railroad tie, knocked to the ground, and had his head pounced on several times by members of two opposing gangs.

One of the most violent acts of late. What must Derrion have thought as he took the first blows,? This young man, who had probably won many of his own personal battles in life to rise to "honor student" status.

And what about the boys who did it? What could possibly have happened to them to make them explode with such hate, anger, violence. Was it early childhood brutal abuse or neglect by an adult they trusted? Was it poverty and a feeling of hopelessness for a better future?.l Was it the bloodletting, the horrible violent video games children play unmonitored today, or the senseless movies where violence and physical strength measure power, or perhaps some of all of the above.

Shouldn't Obama make sure our own "home" (Chicago) is in order, before we invite guests? What happened there takes much more precedence over what is happening in Denmark....as does our Health Care and other major issues.

September 29, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  159. Patricia/Georgia

What it shows is that we have a young President who cares about many things and bringing the Olympics to Chicago would be a wonderful thing and would bring many jobs and some extra money for the state. He can handle the war problems, he can handle the health care problems (not like some other democrats who are not listening to the wants of the people) and he can handle foreign affairs.Let's not make more of this than necessary....it is a fun thing and he needs that at this time with all of the other pressing problems. Let's give him one day without second guessing him. Go Obama!

September 29, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  160. vic hughson

Jack;

More productive to go to Denmark, rather than Crawford TX

September 29, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  161. mike tn

not very important.here we are in a recession where money is tight
    and he runs off to denmark spending all that money.oh yea,he is use to spending all that money.

September 29, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  162. Ryan-Andrew

Obama continues to act like a pre-Madonna and less like a president. Showing up on Letterman and taking flights to lobby for something that is nowhere near as important as having a public healthcare option. I am a democrat at heart and supported Hillary but could not find myself to vote for Obama because of exactly what he is doing now. I fear for the next four years because it’s beginning to look like I was right. I would like to see him take on a “Bush” mentality and actually go out there and get the democrats in line behind him… he needs to start by putting all these Blue Dog Democrats on a leash and remind him that it was HIS coattails that got them in to office in the first. They need to stop being “Republican-Lite” and start being, like the Lake Sen. Kennedy, advocates for the people.

September 29, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  163. Frank Nardo Cape Coral

when would be the right time to place my order in for Danish Pastries, since I'm a tax payer, I feel I am paying for the fuel being used for air force one, to fly in an out of Denmark, probably with no real confirmation of any success of his meeting, so we can all have some fresh Danish Pastries, I can't wait to get mine.

September 29, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  164. Joan

I do not think this trip is necessary just as most of his trips are not necessary, and then his wife has to always go along. If that was Hillary following Bill around back when he was president...it would make headlines and with alot of criticism. Jack, you mention all the expense associated with Obama ,that also holds true with Michelle, since she has an entourage also. The president is acting like a guest at a wedding reception...going through the buffet line ,he puts everything on the plate knowing he cannot eat all of it but it is free so why not. Obama is doing the same with all the problems in the U.S...just mention that he is going to do something about this-that and the other thing, throw it out there and not accomplish anything, he is just acting as if he is doing his job. and then leaves it out there, allowing everyone else to gawk at it , with not much input from him. I do not know what he has accomplished,except having the advantage of he and his family going site-seeing on the tax payers money. I am sick over his behavior, he and Michelle behave as two love sick, starve teenagers.

September 29, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  165. Pete - Augusta Ga

Jack –

President Obama's olympic lobbying trip to Denmark on behalf of the city of Chicago confirms earlier suspicions: the current resident of the White House lacks any sense of priority, has no intention of fulfilling his campaign committments, has masterful command when delivering speeches but doesn't really believe what he's saying, and seems unable to make & stick with the tough decisions..
    The world is watching Obama & all they're getting is sound bites, constant softball television appearances, and lots of jet exhaust from Air Force 1. Perhaps we should rename the Presidents plane "Pigeon 1" – it swoops down, doesn't really do anything but make messes, then flies away.

September 29, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  166. James Harris

It's very important that the President attends the IOC's committee meeting in Copenhagen, Denmark. It shows that the bid is an American bid and that America is behind the bid. Zogby polls show that the majority of Americans support America's bid to host the Olympics. Whats more important is where has America pride went, this isn't Chicago's bid alone this is the Untied States bid and how arrogant would it look for all the other biding cities heads of states to be behind their bid and America's to do it over a video conference. Do those other heads of states not also have pressing issues? How much is he missing out on in a 18 hour trip to show America pride in hosting an international event that will spur economic development for a city in much need? Would this be an issue if it were New York's bid? The saddest thing about this is that a non-political show of support for a UNITED STATES bid has been meet with ridiculous partisan bicker that does nothing to advance the cause of hosting the Olympics. Is it that they don't want the Olympics in America or is it that they want to oppose something president is involved in.

September 29, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  167. kathy

he should get his priorities straight, why is he so worried about his home town when he has Iran,affganastan,health reform acorn,and so much more that is important?it,s getting old seeing him on tv all the time.he should have been an actor,because he sure likes the spot light.David letterman? come on!!!

September 29, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  168. John S

John S. New York

September 29, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  169. Garth, Florida

I cannot believe this nonsense – Obama's pending trip to Denmark. I voted for this man (and yes I am Black), but this is crazy. When so many people are unemployed, and Obama claims to be so dedicated to healthcare reform he is going to spend thousands of dollars of Taxpayers money to go lobby for the Olympics for Chicago. True, the Olympics will benefit the economy of Chicago, but coiuldn't this be done, as you suggest, by video cam or something less expensive than a presidential trip. Is the Chicago chamber of commerce meeting the bill. Come on Obama, this is BS.

Garth
    Miami, Florida

September 29, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  170. Cathy Wantland

It is economically irresponsible for the President to travel to Denmark to try to bring the Olympics to Chicago. Mrs. Obama will be making the trip as well but not with the President. This makes it very expensive to the US taxpayers.

How can they even think they have a chance of bringing the Olympics to Chicago when there are so many kids being killed there?

September 29, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  171. Jim Pitzer

Jack:
    It's called P&R going to Denmark. Obama is building back our crediability
    that we lost in the last eight years. I already see a change in our acceptance through out the world. I think it better than going to Texas and cutting brush on a ranch. Obama is working harder than any president I have seen in my ninety years. I am an Indepemdent and wish
    you would quit trying to stir up the right wingers.

September 29, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  172. Carlton

It wouldn't have anything to do with the Obama's being from Chicago would it? We simply have too many other more important issues than to de dealing with this.

September 29, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  173. RC Crouse

Clearly our President has been requested by the a number of public and private parties to make the trip. It is clear that in the President believes these people were persuasive enough. They changed his position on the trip and he decided to move forward with it.

Is the trip Green? No. Is the trip required? No Is the trip political? No Is it a trip the President should take? Apparently the President thinks so.

No President has done this in the past and you ask, why? My question to you is, why not?

September 29, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  174. Ty

sticking his nose where it shouldnt be and keeping it out of where it ought to be.. doesnt look very presidential to me.

September 29, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  175. Eleanora Feucht, Mt. Laurel, N.J.

I am VERY disgruntled over this matter, I cannot see how the president in all conscience can spend all this money frivilously while at the same time not giving cost of living raises to social security recipients for the next several years. He has also said that he will not permit his hea;th insurnce plan to raise the deficit one iota -if it seems like it wiill, he will take the money out of Medicare and Medicaid.
    Is he not aware of the fact that seniors are the most faithful voters and that if he takes money from something they have paid for all of their working lives, he will hear a loud thud come on the next election in which he is participating !
    We seniors are not expendable.

September 29, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  176. Mike O

Barack Obama is reminding me more and more of Jimmy Carter. His domestic plans have been shot down in flames by the American public, so he is now turning to a foreign issue that may, or may not, help the American economy.
    Sure, it would be nice to have the Olympics in America. The problem is if Chicago is named the host city for 2016 the economic boost would be short lived and beneficial to the Chicago area only.
    The president really needs to start focusing on the real issues facing America – foreign and domestic. I'm afraid that if he continues misplacing his priorities we are only headed back to the same economic meltdown that doomed Jimmy Carter in 1980.
    Besides, would the president be lobbying this hard for any other potential host city candidate?

September 29, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  177. Joel Weiner

Jack have you been smoking the wacky weed again? President Obama took a day trip to Denmark to help bring the Olympics to the United States and that's a problem? It certainly would be a boost for the economy down the road. It seems that you forgot about all of the flying that George W. did in the name of State business during his reign that actually turned out to be glorified photo ops and campaign fund raisers. Come on Jack, get with it!

September 29, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  178. Jack - Lancaster, OH

Jack:

I would like an actual figure on the cost to take the trip and what percentage it might be for the winning of the Chicago location. As a former science educator, I always felt there was overemphasis on sports in the schools. Sports has a place but not so much that it helps the economy on a steady basis. It has mentors that are corrupt, abusive, drugged and this is what they have to offer for the aspirations of the young ? The same as our political elite. I guess if you cannot keep your home, or get a job, or afford the risk of illness, there is always.....sports.

September 29, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  179. Rob

I can't believe your only question about this trip is regarding the carbon footprint? Come on...get your carbon footprint out of your posterior!

How much is this trip going to COST the taxpayer? In a time of massive deficits, is this a worthwhile expenditure of our tax dollars?

You listed all the items that have to go along with a Presidential trip...there is no way this is an inexpensive excercise.

September 29, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  180. Jeff Crocket in New Britain, CT

This trip costing a million dollars alone is less than positive!

Why would this first President to feel importance in this issue do this??
    So he can fly the family to Denmark for the weekend!!

How out if it is this fool? completely out of it! Soldiers under his command are in battle!!

September 29, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  181. Gary H. Boyd

Sufficiently important that if Chicago isn't chosen after he makes his plea, his status in the world community will be dramatically diminished. And, in Chicago and Illinois, politics will go on - business as usual. Just ask Blogo.

Gary H. Boyd, Scottsdale, Arizona

September 29, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  182. Mr Wilson Says:

How many people can this trip feed for the next 5 years? How many books and school supplies can it buy for the next 5 years? How many bullet proof vests can it buy for our police forces? The list can go on all day. Who the hell is even listening? Obama is out of control and does as he pleases. Dosen't ANYONE in DC ever say NO to this guy? Oprah just put her neck out there as well. I am sure she will ba a Czar-ess someday soon. Give me a break!

September 29, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  183. Dennis.S. Toronto Canada

Yes, President Obama should go to Europe and fight to bring the Olimpics to Chicago.This will bring neede tourist dollas home,and construction of new facilities to house the games.
    The carbon footprit of travell to Zurich will be balanced with the Presidents new Global warming policy lowering carbon emissions in the US. As President Obama promised Change we all can believ in even if we are across the border.
    Dennis.S.
    Toronto.Canada.
    2009-09-29-Tuesday@ 4:28 p.m.

September 29, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  184. Jerry Philadelphia pa

Half of the people in Chicago don’t want the Olympics in their city. Stay home Mr. President.

September 29, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  185. Bob Racine, WI

It's a very important trip for what the olympics brings with it. The olympics brings people who bring money, I would expect every hotel in Milwaukee to be sold out due to the Chicago Olympics, it also brings unique culture. Look on the bright side, you can get a direct flight to Chicago alot easier than you could to Salt Lake City, most Olympians had to fly with a lay over in Chicago, oh sweet irony

September 29, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  186. Carla

Oh brother, everyday someone, somewhere, complains about what President Obama is doing. Jack, I can't believe you are part of that bashing crowd. This trip to Denmark will be good worldwide PR for our country. Is that so hard to understand?

September 29, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  187. Kathy Eisele

Jack:
    After viewing the former president's embarrassing antics at the Olympic Games in China, I think President Obama is on the right track to make amends.

September 29, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  188. Thomas Clark

Mr. Cafferty, I think it is very important for President Obama to make an appearance in Copenhagen to lobby for the 2016 Olympics on behalf of all citizens of the United States. Why, because British Prime Minister Tony Blair made an appearance an lobbied for for the 2012 Olympic Summer games. It is highly possible that his appearance helped secure the Olympics. We are facing tough competition from other countries. I have read that King Carlos and Queen Sophia from Spain are expected to make an appearance, Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriquez Zapatero, Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, and Japan may be sending Crown Prince Naruhito and the new prime minister Yukio Hatoyama. This is a highly political process, so if and appeareance by the President will help, then it is important.

September 29, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  189. Armand

Nonsense Jack, of course it's good for the economy. Nine years from now when we've recovered from the current downturn and are heading toward a brand new cyclical slowdown, we'll want every penny we can get!

September 29, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  190. Darla (Edmonton, Canada)

Jack, is the carbon footprint for this trip really any worse than the number of trees that are going to be sacrificed to print Sarah Palin's memoir?

September 29, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  191. Nancy, Tennessee

Waste has no meaning for some privileged few. If someone else did that, President Obama would be the first to say we need to think about conserving our energy. After all, he wants us to watch every detail including the inflation of our tires. He needs to quit making so many photo ops. We saw George Bush using every chance to do a photo op and President Obama has taken it to a new level. He needs some advising.

September 29, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  192. Diane Fuchs

Jack,
    I think it's a great idea. At least the world isn't throwing shoes at him!! He took on such a mess and every day there is some sort of crisis, drama or issue. This is a good thing and it will bring jobs and positive recognition to America. I say go for it. We paid out money to the idiots on Wall Street, the Auto industry and we can't pay for a trip?? Come on!! It's good for America. Diane

September 29, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  193. Marianne

Not important, he should worry about the amount of debit he is creating by globtrotting all over world. Is there a guarantee of a profit?
    Philadelphia, PA

September 29, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  194. Dee Ridgley

Geez Jack.......I'm surprised at your negativity. Does your comment make you a "racist"? I mean, you don't agree with Obama's planned trip to Denmark to promote the Olympics in Chicago....SHOCKING! If that were a conservative making the same comment, they would be called racist.

However, he's got serious issues here in the US to deal with and in no way should he be going to Denmark and blowing more of our tax money to promote the monetary enhancement of Chicago's economy.

September 29, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  195. lynne from NC

Very important because this country has bullied its way around the world for years. It is time for a calmer side. President Obama has that. Besides if Chicago gets it, there will be a myriad of jobs available.

September 29, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  196. JAY TALMAGE

I don't know whats wrong with you people... No matter what our president does somebody has something negitive to say... I think helping the olympics to come to the US is good for our economy and our image.. Pres Obama has done so much good for this country in 9 months......Better than most presidents have done in 2 yrs.. George Bush was well on his way to ruining this country by this time.....

go Obabm from Las Vegas

September 29, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  197. Ryan-Andrew - San Antonio, TX

Obama continues to act like a pre-Madonna and less like a president. Showing up on Letterman and taking flights to lobby for something that is nowhere near as important as having a public healthcare option. I am a democrat at heart and supported Hillary but could not find myself to vote for Obama because of exactly what he is doing now. I fear for the next four years because it’s beginning to look like I was right. I would like to see him take on a “Bush” mentality and actually go out there and get the democrats in line behind him… he needs to start by putting all these Blue Dog Democrats on a leash and remind him that it was HIS coattails that got them in to office in the first place. They need to stop being “Republican-Lite” and start being, like the Lake Sen. Kennedy, advocates for the people.

September 29, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  198. Stephanie, vancouver, bc

So the leaders of the other three countries go to represent their countries' bids and America, which claims to be the richest and the leader of the world, can't afford to send theirs??

September 29, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  199. Eleanor Coleman

I think it is good that President Obama desided to go and lobby for
    the games to come to America/Chicago. There are other leaders
    there lobbying for their countries. Why shouldn't the American President show his support for Chicago. In this economy
    it will be a great way to help bring jobs to the slow ecomony.
    At least he is not using the jet to fly home and do nothing like Bush did every other month.

September 29, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  200. fred doofenshmirtz

The eyes of Europe frown upon this nation. We must not be greater than any other country. That the President himself must travel to Copenhagen shows just how far Bush took this country. Currently, there is no greater pressing issue.

Godspeed President Obama!

September 29, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  201. Patricia - Pine Plaines NY

After the way Buch spent money, and his inept Presidency, I say go for it Mr Obama. Bush was on vacation more than on the job. This President seems to be always working. He is also proving that a President can handle more than one job/idea at a time.

If he lands the olympics, what a shot in the arm for our economy. I would like to add, "Yes he can".

September 29, 2009 at 4:42 pm |
  202. Tony R.

I don't think that he should fly to Europe. I think he of course should promote the Olymipics in the US but should do it more cost effectively. I work for the government and we are forced to cut travel, even to trainings and conferences that help us do our job better. It seems hypocritical that he makes us cut travel but he is exempt from it. Sounds like the same old government to me.

September 29, 2009 at 4:42 pm |
  203. Birgit Olsen

Although I am from Copenhagen and it probably would be good
    advertising for the country, I find it outrageous that our President will be going to to Denmark just to try to get the olympics to Chicago in 2016, why? He will probably not be President in 2016 anyway. He will be using Airforce1 and 2 plus another plane for his bulletproof car, hotels, foods, and what not for his entourage plus that
    of secret service, etc. Absolutely crazy spending taxpayers money this way. He is constantly travelling around everywhere, and I find it far more urgent for him to be HERE in the US right now since this time is so critical. It looks like he does not care much about this country and would rather want to be away from US and let others decide all the solutions for him!.
    Birgit
    from Prince Edward Island, Canada

September 29, 2009 at 4:42 pm |
  204. cynthia

of course he should. He is trying to reach out to the international world and it does not always have to happen in the foreign-political-relations arena. This is not a vacation or junket but an effort to bring other countries to a new America. How many times did we fly Bush to Crawford Texas and watch him cut brush? Bush had a total of two years vacation in an eight year term. Where can I get a job like that? Obama is working like heck to solve the problems of this country and if he wants to bring the up-lifting games to this country – let countries see what the United States is about . The green thing about the planes is ridiculous because most business men travel around the world without a single thought of their " green effect." It's all about the money and Obama is under pressure to produce the money for a failing economy that was the result of the Bush administration.

September 29, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  205. G. Johnson in Shreveport La.

Well, it will be a loss of face if we do not get the Olympics,but it will be much worse if we do not get a good health care bill,after all the effort our President is devoting.I think our country can take the loss of the Chicago Olympics if we can get a good public option health care bill,however.

September 29, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  206. GH

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE...there are many Chicagoans, neighbors of the President who DON'T want the Olympics in the city! There are a greedy minority who are pushing their agenda in the city and many people will be displaced with the plans...its a shame because the Olympics have never been to a country in Latin America or Africa. I would have hoped that the First Couple would advocate for the Olympics to be in Brazil. Sure Chicago could use the windfall but having the Olympics in Brazil will be a history making moment.

G
    Hyde Park Chicago

September 29, 2009 at 4:44 pm |
  207. Teero McSan

Another European boondoggle to Europe for the Prez and Michelle!??! Why not? Maybe they can bring all of us a gift! And while they're away, maybe Congress can get off it's collective nonpartisan butt and reform health care, the Defense Department can put its expensive brain trust to work and offer some solutions for our forces in Afghanistan; and the State Department can conjure up something substantive to say to Iran. The president is not wholly responsible for the workings of our government, but, as its central character, everyone seems to think he is. Let him use his skills as an American ambassador and diplomat - we've certainly been lacking those qualities in our leadership for quite some time.

September 29, 2009 at 4:44 pm |
  208. Jim Warner

Come on jack ....Did you not ever hear of – "All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy." Sometimes when things get overwhelming – you just need to drop back and punt. Give me a break – some of these knuckleheads out there will never be happy with Obama – no matter what he does. Give the man some slack.

September 29, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  209. Jenny, Canada.

1. This trip will be good for international relations.

2. This may very well end up doing much good for the American economy and morale when it most needs it.

3. I don't doubt the enormous good that Obama will do for the environment and climate change will far outweighed any fuel used on this trip.

4. This will be good for Obama's state of mind. He deserves a break and will come back with renewed energy, focus and purpose. His vacation really wasn't much of one.

Please don't be petty. That was not a nice way to refer to Denmark.

September 29, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  210. K

Wish I had the money to travel at will with my complete staff, car, press, etc. It is plainly a political gimic at the taxpayers' expense.

September 29, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  211. Tom Kline

Wake up CNN.

Obama has abused his position and Air Force One on numerous occasions. I believe the record including family guests was the trip to South Africa; over 20 – friends, uncles, aunts, family, and grandma!

We forgave him for the "mini Air Force trip" to New York to celebrate his anniversary but enough is enough.

Just as with corporate travel, our government (not just the President) must have a set of criteria and standards for use of government aircraft and family and friends should be accountable for covering their allocated cost of the trip if they are not on official government business.

Enough, Park the plane and the teleprompter and fix the economy!

September 29, 2009 at 4:47 pm |