September 23rd, 2009

Would you make investment decisions based on what Palin says?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Sarah Palin spoke to Asian bankers, investors and fund managers in Hong Kong - in what's being billed as her first speech outside North America. The former Alaska governor and Republican vice presidential nominee spoke for about an hour and a half. The speech was closed to the press.

Reports that leaked out say Palin addressed everything from Reagonomics, China and human rights, Tibet, the Asian and American economies to international terrorism, energy independence, family - and fishing and moose in Alaska.

In her speech, Palin reportedly said she was talking as "someone from Main Street, U.S.A." and highlighted her concerns about massive federal bailouts and growing government deficits.

She criticized President Obama's plans to give the Federal Reserve power to monitor risk to the financial system, questioning if that is "meaningful reform."

The reviews on Palin's speech are mixed - some people say she was articulate, well-prepared and compelling.

Others got up and walked out in the middle of it, calling her speech boring.

It was seen as the first step in Palin's attempt to boost her foreign policy credentials-which could use a little boosting.

Keep in mind: Palin never even had a passport until 2007. And when she came under criticism during the presidential campaign for her lack of foreign policy expertise, she attempted to make up for it by saying she could see Russia from her home state of Alaska.

Here’s my question to you: If you were a money manager, would you make investment decisions based on what Sarah Palin says?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Arnold writes:
I wouldn't decide where to have lunch based on Sarah Palin's opinion. Since when does being chosen as a candidate for V.P. automatically make you an expert on domestic and foreign affairs? Does no one remember her addled assertion that simply living near Russia means she has foreign policy qualifications? Have we forgotten that she couldn't name a single periodical she regularly read? Oh, and just up and quitting as governor? If this was a sane world, Sarah Palin would still be doing sports for a local TV station rather than standing almost center on the world stage delivering her strange, convoluted opinions.

Carrie writes:
I wouldn't make a food-ordering decision based on what Sarah Palin says. I'm amazed that anyone outside of her few tin-foil hat supporters even care what she has to say anymore.

AW writes:
Sarah Palin would be ten times a better president than Obama. And just think: CNN would have something to criticize every day. Please post this or do you only post positive things about this administration?

Mark from Newburgh, New York writes:
Sarah Palin has a tendency to call a dog a duck and stick by it. Calling a dog a duck does not make it a duck, and when it starts barking, even her shrill speechifying can't cover up the fact that it's a dog.

Chippy writes:
If she's offering advice on how to deep-six your running mates chances for elected office, or on how to shoot wolves from a helicopter, then she's my go-to-gal. But, for anything else, she can keep her advice to herself. As you rightly pointed out, Palin didn't have a passport until a few years ago and now she speaking in an international forum? I bet when she stepped off the plane her first question was, "Why are there so many Chinese people here?"

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Rebecca Cohn

Any money manager that decides to make an investment decision based on a recommendation from Sarah Palin is DUMBER THAN A ROCK.

This woman needs to INVEST the time it takes to learn. If she is warped enough to think she has a future in elected politics, she should stop talking in public and go get educated. She is an laughing stock to women.

September 23, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  2. Lynne in CA

Absolutely...whatever investment advice Palin put forth, I would do the exact opposite.

September 23, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  3. KB - Dallas

A fool and his money are soon parted, and anyone who seeks out Palin for investing advice is certainly foolish.

She has shown an incredible willingness to talk on subjects she has no clue about. She thinks we have a problem with activist judges, and yet cannot name a single significant judicial decision outside of Roe v. Wade. She talks of a liberal press, yet cannot tell you what she reads to get her news. She ran for Vice President, and clearly did not know the responsibilities of the position. At one point, she called it the leader of the Senate, which is funny. Sad, but funny.

September 23, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  4. R Pirrie

I sincerely hope that only one comment goes up–mine. Why? Becasue I hope everyone finally starts to ignore this person.

September 23, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  5. DJ in Denver

I can see Sarah Palin from my house. I think Palin is cute and maybe we should make and sell a Sarah doll but she should not attempt to talk anywhere.

September 23, 2009 at 5:04 pm |
  6. Rory Murray

Jack,
    You're kidding me right? I don't give a damn about this airhead or her opinions. If she told me my shirt looked good, I would change it.
    Stop covering this ditz!
    Rory Murray
    San Bernardino, CA

September 23, 2009 at 5:04 pm |
  7. Greg, San Francisco, CA

I would certainly consider her counsel – and do the exact opposite.

September 23, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  8. SD

Bloomburg had an outline of her speech...HOW VERY DISGUSTING TO READ that this glorified, egomaniac want-to-be politician or rich person is getting the opportunity to condemn our country, our President, our internal workings to Asian Investor groups….??? Her stupidity talking about things she knows little about if anything is dangerous and I don’t think she should be permitted to do this. Hillary Clinton is our Secretary of State….let her be the spokesperson for the United States if not President Obama if not former President Clinton and shut this mad woman up. Coverage of her only continues to promote an embarrassing mistake made by McCain and the Republicans last fall.

Disgusted in Pittsburgh.

September 23, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  9. old Democrat in Philippi, WV

She would need a record of proven accomplishment for me to take her advice. There is no such record at this point. And for the record, simply pointing out the obvious doesn't make me a Palin-hater. Just show me the record of accomplishment, particularly when it comes to investment. Also for the record, I don't think I'll be seeking out Obama's advice on investments, either, but I think he knows vastly more than Gov. Palin about the world.

September 23, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  10. Adam in NFLD Canada

April Fool's Day was nearly six months ago, Jack. Shame on you!

September 23, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  11. Ron

Investment decision? I wouldn't even buy a loaf of bread on the recommendation of Palin.

Ron
    Indiana

September 23, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  12. Sharon, Rockford, IL

Jack, is this a trick question? Of course I wouldn't. I have no doubt the speech was written for her and even then she still sounded as uneducated as she always was – nonsensical phrases and 3rd grade speak isn't inspiring for me. I think the promoters should ask for their money back. She should be paying them to get exposure. I wouldn't buy mousetrap based on a suggestion from her.

September 23, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  13. William Courtland

If she said something that passed or created new legislation: and if said something was in relation to a business associated practice where trade is due and sales are made and services are rendered: if she said something: and one was to hear it of or anunciated by her: one might find reason to listen and take action.

But it depends upon what she say's: and if it is without relavance to what could have occured at a governor level position: I would be more interested in why she recrudesence herself from office instead of admitting said topic of interest in a open but comfortably private meeting with her Federal Representative: say; country club setting: where conjecture from the local elders can offer chance interjections...

Insider trading?

September 23, 2009 at 5:08 pm |
  14. MNResident

If you as an investor think Sarah Palin will ever return to a position of influence or power in the country (such as US President, Senator, or other influencer of Republican party doctrine) then it might be important to know what she thinks so you can be prepared in advance. If she never achieves that level of influence, then you are free to ignore her....

September 23, 2009 at 5:08 pm |
  15. Mark in Chicago, IL

Does direct, intentional, complete contradiction count? Because I think I could probably get at least 7% out of that.

Oh, and those who said she was 'articulate, well-prepared and compelling' need to lay off the sauce.

September 23, 2009 at 5:08 pm |
  16. Jack - Lancaster, OH

Jack:

That's an easy question Jack, if I were a money manager I would make decisions on how to increase the money I manage and cut deals according to the lack of ethics in the financial market sector. The former is the joyful duty of a capitalist and the latter is a requirement for complicity, let's call it the "green code". The three levels of complicity that count are Governmental, to lobbyists, and to corporations. This is the three faced beast that globally has become known as the true "united stakes of America".

September 23, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  17. Mark (Newburgh, NY)

Sarah Palin has a tendency to call a dog a duck and stick by it. Calling a dog a duck does not not make it a duck, and when is starts barking, even her shrill speechifying can't cover up the fact that it's a dog.

September 23, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  18. CK Honolulu

Uh no. What expertise does she have to speak on finance issues?

September 23, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  19. Ann from Charleston, S.C.

Jack,
    Surely you jest!

September 23, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  20. cameragirl87

I wouldn't make a food ordering decision based on what Sarah Palin says. I'm amazed that anyone outside of her few tin-foil hat supporters even care what she has to say anymore.

September 23, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  21. Paul

Hey Jack,

correct me if I'm wrong, but if Reaganomics was something worth preaching about, wouldn't the Chinese be borrowing from us instead of the other way around?

I assume Sarah Palin has no objection capitalizing from "Communists" while at the same time promoting a "trickle down" system that has only rewarded fat cat CEO's, lobbyists and the top one per cent of this nation.

I'd sooner give my money to Bernie Maddoff than the regurgitating ideology of a half term governor.

Paul
    Irvine, CA

September 23, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  22. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Ok! I got one minute to waste....if she was elected during this time she would have been free to do nothing...because this is her version of government...do nothing! At least, now she knows where Hong Kong is!

September 23, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  23. Kristin, Danville, CA

You betcha!

September 23, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  24. Graham

Absolutely! Whatever she suggested, I'd do the opposite.

September 23, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  25. Kari in Huntington Beach

I would think as a possible contender for the election of 2012 that Sarah Palin would want to encourage the investors to come to the United States. Did she forget she was speaking to investment bankers.

September 23, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  26. mike-sey

Ha ha ha ha , very funny, Jack!

mike, Ottawa

27. Becca

I cannot stop laughing.........

28. Elle

This woman has absolutely no credibility. I don't even trust trained investment counselors, why would I trust someone who passes her time watching wedding shows on TV. She's just a puff a smoke.

29. ken

I would love to give you my comment about palin but my comments are always awaiting modification. One thing I would not do is criticize the U.S. government while visiting a communist country no matter how much they paid me.

30. Vicki Plano, TX

Jack, I'd comment but I can't stop laughing.............

31. Patrick

I wouldn't invest a dollar in this woman if I had a billion. Where she was unproven before, she's been proven totally incompetent now. That anyone continues to take her seriously as a viable candidate in 2012 is astonishing.

Santa Monica, California

32. Jeremy in Albuquerque

I don't even need to read this article to answer your question Jack: NOOOOOOOO WAAAAAAAAAY!

33. george

only if i was investing in oil,bullets or bibles.
    george
    chester,ct.

34. Jean-Bernard, Quebec CANADA

Yes I would follow her advices by doing the exact opposite.

35. Greg

Jack, are you kidding? I wouldn't trust travel directions if they came from Sarah Palin.

NJ

36. Jim Green, Seguin, TX, www.Inclusivism.org

YES, of course I would, Jack–I would listen intently to every thing she said, and do just the opposite.....

37. Bob Henry Canada

Yes! Definitely with all my Monopoly money.

38. Damon

I wouldn't take advice from Sarah Palin on the best way to get to the Wasila Walmart.

39. Mason

Is that a serious question?

Mount Vernon, WA

40. Fountain

My guess is that I'd get better advice from dog – on any number of subjects.

41. James

I would not take investment advice from someone who uses campaign funds to buy cloths and uses tax dollars for their children's air fare.

42. John

Why dont she just go back to Alaska and continue to going to her kids soccer games. We as a world honestly don't need her of all people to chime in on how to fix the problems of the world

43. guy m

LOL....I would get better advice from my dog.....

44. Phil Anthony

I wouldn't make DRIVING decisions based on what Sarah Palin said.

45. AK

I wouldn't make any decision, about anything based on what Sarah Palin says. The fact that people keep giving her a microphone is amazing.

46. Michael from NJ

If I were a money manager I would make investment decision based on what she does not say.

47. Jerry-Dallas TX

Not even if I were looking to buy a condo with a view of Russia.

48. anil

Hell NO! already lost lot over the past year dont want to go totally broke now.

49. Will

Hell no!!!! For someone who didn't hold a passport until 2007she has no business in world politics let alone speaking to Asian bankers, investors and fund managers. She is good for a "LOL" though!

50. Rachel

you can't be serious???

51. Patrick Furness

I might make investments based on what Sarah Palin says. I'd probably do the exact opposite thing she told us to do.

52. jeff in hawaii

Jack,

Only if I was in the financial top 1% that Reagonomics works for, and even then it would only be advice on buying a moose head or bear skin rug.

53. Chippy MacNeish

54. Marilyn

I wouldn't make ANY decisions based on what Sarah Palin says. Stay home, Sarah! We don't want to hear what you have to say.

55. Rob

Sure, just as quickly as I would make human rights decisions based on Ahmadinejad speech tonight...... Are you kidding?

Rob,
    Phoenix, AZ

56. Guy in San Diego

I'd sooner take investment advice from a 7-year-old.
    I wonder how many Alaskan's would take her advice?

57. Charles Hagerstown Maryland

Jack,

You think as a newsman you would get your facts straight. Tina Fey said she could see Russia from her house, not Sarah Palin.

58. David

These kinds of forums just want a big-name speaker to draw a crowd, regardless of whether she has anything valuable to say. I'd be interested in seeing her close up, speaking on something about which she is no doubt utterly clueless.

59. Troy

I sure would. I would take Palin and Gadhafi on the road as a comedy act. With Donald Trump promoting it, I should be able to pay off the deficit and buy a new tent for unwanted guest.

60. Nicki

Jack, if I were a dog walker I wouldn't make pooper scooper decisions based on what Sarah Palin says...

61. Rex

Are you serious? You want me to take advice from a woman who's idea of animal population control is shooting them from a helicopter? I wonder what her idea of building investing assets are, buying her $400,000 worth of clothing? She is on a "paid speaking tour," why wouldn't I just listen to the late info-mercials that promise $50000 dollars in a week, I bet its more sound advice than anything Sarah Palin said.

62. Kelvin in Canada

Jack, Palin is joke, lets talk of something more serious!

63. Peter M

Palin is a joke. She is a failed beauty model, a failed politician in Alaska and nationally...over all, she cannot even make a coherent, grammatically correct sentence. She is a joke...

64. mayor dave

Is this a serious question? It must be April Fool's Day. I just bought stock in a carburetor manufacturer because Cooter said it was about to go up........

65. Karen in Calif

Absolutely - whatever Palin says, I'd do the opposite!

66. Sean Halliburton

Frankly, I would not trust any politician or news network regarding financial advice. They all have contributed to the problem and failed to report the truth. But, I would trust Palin over your left wing nut jobs you worship on a daily basis

67. Dave Ayers

OK Jack! Were is He???? Were's Ashton, I know asking a question like that we have to be getting Punked! Palin giving advice. As Macaulay Culkin once said in Home Alone, " I Don't Think So!" LOL Jack, Funny!

68. Ron

Jack,
    I thought you were above the typical Sarah bashing.
    Leave her alone, she is a private citizen now. There are far more pressing issues for our country that should be discussed here.

69. Bruce - Delaware

No. No. Palin is unaware of anything real.

70. Wyoming Democrat

No, I wouldn't invest a dime on the advice of idiots. Palin is #1 in that category. Why is she qualified to even discuss this? She left Wasilla, as mayor, with the town budget at -$20 million. She quit as governor half way through her first term. Her only claim to fame is she was McCain's running mate and because of her, McCain lost big time. He would have lost anyway, but she really accelerated the loss early in the evening on election night. She is a walking disaster and should just go away.

71. ron powell

Are you serious? Letting Sarah Palin advise on anything to do with finance would be like taking advice on etiquette from Congressman Joe Wilson. What they have in common is that they are both clueless on both subjects

72. Ted Lewis

Jack-Would I make investment decisions based on Sara Palin's judgements? Yup, sure would. I would listen carefully, take notes, record it all on a dvd, study her words, ruminate on her words, sleep on her words and then--Do exactly the opposite of everything she says.

This good ole gal ain't worth the time to think about.

73. Jimmy

I wouldn't buy a loaf of BREAD based on something Sara Palin said...that of course presumes you could actually UNDERSTAND anything she said!

September 23, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  74. Naresh Kumar, Los Angeles !

Drill baby Drill ! What can I say, it is fault to glorify this comedian to anything she is today, what a joke !

75. Max

HAHA! Yeah right. Jack, I can't believe you're even bringing her to the press again.

76. T Champagne

Jack, can she see AK from Asia too.

77. Robert in Louisville

Make investments based on anything Palin says?

Come on Jack, my portfolio has enough problems.

I am not about to play Charlie Brown for that Lucy.

78. Bob Delaney

Absolutely not! Ms .Palin may be have the fancy of the religious right, but her background and overall method of operation indicate that her views are based purely on ideology, with little or no interest in basing her viewpoints and decisions on real world facts.

79. Marietta

No–for one– I ask are theses Palin views, own intellect on theses policies? or Just read off what was handed to her..from experts behind the scene?

80. Joy-Texas

Jack , I wouldn't buy a used trailer house based on her financial advise.
    The fact that some who were in attendance got up and left in the middle of her speech, speaks volumes...Why would anybody make any decision based on anything she has to say.. She is not an expert on anything...

81. Dwain W

Jack,

The one and only decission I would ever make regarding what Sarah Palin has/had to say was the one NOT to vote republican in the presidential election!

82. JP

Why not; if Obama can read a teleprompter, so can she.

83. Pat

I wouldn't take her advice on how many times to fold toilet tissue!

September 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  84. Gene Stephens

I would make investment decision based on what Sarah Palin says! I would listen to Sarah Palin's recommendation and then do exactly the opposite of what she recommends. That shows you what I think of her opinion.

September 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  85. Shelley, SLC UT

Are you kidding me? I wouldn't "make water" based on anything Palin says....even if I could understand her (eventual) point.

September 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  86. ROBERT

A ding-bat is a ding-bat! Oh well

September 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  87. Racquel

That's not even a serious question. I think they decided to go another way and bring her in to speak for the humor of it. I wouldn't wash my dog if she suggested it. As a woman it grieves me to see a woman in such a position who clearly demonstrates why glass ceilings exist, and she's the one that got through, go figure.

September 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  88. Ruilt

No way. If i wanted to throw my money away, I could always just go on a spending spree at best buy. Atleast that way there'd be something to show for it.

September 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  89. David

By default, I do the opposite of what Sarah Palin does.

September 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  90. Larry

What is the difference between getting Financial advice from Sarah Palin and a Pig.

The lipstick.

September 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  91. yellowbmblbee

You mean the Tina Fey Sarah Palin, or the bipolar, manic Sarah Palin? I think the Tina Fey Sarah Palin knows how to make more money than 'Bipolar Betty'.

September 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  92. Ian, Canada

Yes, Jack. I manage my company's Stupid Fund and I hang on her every word.

September 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  93. Ameen

I think Lehman had their investment bankers listen to Sarah Palin's advice on investments last fall.... hmmmm

94. Taylor

No. I guess Sarah forgot that Reagonomics is the reason we got in this mess in the first place! If there is one thing the chinese should learn from us is that our way of greedy capitalism is the wrong way

95. David P Vernon

Tucson, AZ – Not in a million years. Note her qualifications – a BS in Communications earned at three different third rate colleges; employment history in the small owner fishing industry; a term on a school board in a suburb of Ancharoage, population a few thousand; a term as mahyor of the same suburb; and part of a term, resigning early, as Governor of the least populous State, the one which also receives the most Federal subsidy money per capita. If she knew anything at all useful to international banking, it would be a miracle.

96. meredith

I wouldn't make any kind of decision based on what Sarah Palin has to say!

September 23, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  97. Mark (Recently Retired Air Force)

I can't officially respond due to recently retire AF, now working consulting for Intel Agency. Any who......My response.

Yes, I would make a financial decision based on Sarah Palin's comments. I simply would listnen closely and do exactly the opposite of what she has to say.

98. Marty W.

Jack, You bet I'd invest based on Sarah Palin's vast international knowledge. And I'd donate all the profits I made to Rep. Joe Wilson's campaign!!

Marty W.
    Springfield, IL

99. Charly

I wouldn't make an investment on any of these people who wasted their money to hear Sarah Palin never the less Sarah Palin herself. Isf this is her attempt to gain foriegn policy experience albeit looking out her window at Russia, what does that say for the average Joe (the plumber) who can't afford to invest in anything but diinner. Never has America presented a portion of the poulation up to the rest of the world as bigger fools than when they reelcted George Bush on the meits of his succes in Iraq. God bless the sheep.

September 23, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  100. Jerry Jacksonville, Fl.

Silly boy Jack, if you were to look up the word idiot in the dictionary there would be a picture of Palin and Bush standing side by side. As far as her making an investment decision that would be like asking her so solve the equation E=MC squared

101. rich

Jack, are you kiddin'-Sarah Palin- investment advice? Gadhafi makes as much sense!

102. Ron

Are you kidding Jack? Why are we still hearing about this person. She already proved that she knows very little about anything except moose and maybe fishing. Why would we listen to her about anything else? Can we move on already? There are certainly more important things in the world to talk about.

103. Jim in Tennessee

Please make her go away! She truly has so little to say that makes any sense to anyone. Perhaps with the exception of small-minded simpletons.

104. Charles -NJ

Jack:

I almost thought you were over your infatuation with this woman. Sadly, I see it isn't so. This woman is not relevant unless people like you make her so. Let her fade away.

105. Deborah, Los Angeles

Why would money managers chose to make investment decisions based upon the comments of a former CEO who quit her day job halfway through her term? Besides...who wants to align themselves with someone who sounds like she's been palling around with treasonists?

106. Jim

We can all agree that Sarah Palin knows nothing about investment banking or how the banking system works. Anyone who thinks otherwise is surely not from this planet.

Jim,
    Louisiana

107. George-Red Deer, Alberta

If she can see Russia from her front door then why not give finanical instructions to the rest of the world and certainly China that owns the USA

108. Jerry C

Jack,
    If I were a Chinese investor I would offer to buy ALL her Alaska oil.

109. D.J.Lauter

This is a joke, right? Palin is not educated enough to handle anything but the moose population. She left her job as mayor of Wasilla with a heavy debt and a sports arena that was built on someone else's property. Her ethics are questioned. The list goes on. ......
    If she thinks she is positioning herself for presidential work, she has a rude awakening coming.
    Doris
    Ojai, California

110. Daniel

Jack,

Sarah Palin is a consummate embarrassment and a reminder about how badly our political process has deteriorated in this country.

There was a time when someone with the intellect of a turnip would never have made it into the political arena in the first place.

The very idea that anyone would pay money to hear what Sarah Palin has to say about anything or take her advice on a subject she knows nothing about is just mind boggling.

I'm mystified that a financial group would have hired her to speak in the first place. Perhaps she was the entertainment, but didn't realize it.

Daniel in Connecticut

111. gina

No way would I take advice on investments or anything else from this quitter.

112. Bull :Albrightsville PA

I wouldn't care to hear anything from a quitter.

113. lynnej from lattimore, nc

Are you kidding? If I were a money manager, not one chance. I'd be better off letting a mule in a red corvette give me advice. I better stop. The last time I said there was no chance, a person named Bush got re-selected to lead us into a ditch.

114. jack

What is wrong with this woman? She couldn't manage her duties as governor of Alaska and now she's giving her opinions as a "world leader"?She is an embarassment to herself and the country, why can't her husband reign her in? Please we have had enough, we surrender, we can't take anymore!!!!

115. Stan

Sarah Palin is considered to be a leader of the Republican Party! That's just scary. What does that say about the current state of the GOP

116. Carlos R. Soousa

Hmm. Let's see...

I think she is making more money now as a speaker then she did as Governor of Alaska. So she is not as dumb as she looks.

But I would never take advice from a lady whom can barely articulate herself well on topics that she is aware of and so far her financial intuition seems weak, at best.

So, HELL NO..!

117. Roger

Sarah Palin is a fanatical idiot. I would no more invest in anything she says than toss stock options on the floor and let my cat paw the choice. How dare she say she represents mainstream America. If that were true she would be Vice President rather than a idiot nobody.

118. John in Austin

Here's a good rule; What ever Sarah suggests for investments,parenting,politics etc. Run you should have never listened in the first place.

119. paul chico, ca.

I would do the exact opposite of what Mrs. Palin might advise. She scares me.

120. Derek

My guess is they just wanted to see if she looks as good in person as she does on camera.

121. Darrel

No Jack,

Not unless the price moose hides goes way up.

Darrel
    GA

122. Cheick Camara

Hey Jack,

Of course I would listen to Sarah Palin, I've hired MC Hammer and Mike Tyson as my financial advisor and it worked out really well; why not listen to Palin. She see's Russia from her backyard every day and given her extensive international and financial background, that makes her my Warren Buffett........

123. Shelby/ BELLWOOD.ALABAMA

The answer is simply no Jack, how can anyone make an investment
    decision on what Sarah Palin says. She is confused and nutty.She has no idea of what is going, she just read speeches and recites talking points.again no! no!

124. Shelley Dee

Surely you jest.

Or have a recent head injury . . . .

125. kathy from Phoenix

Jack, When did Sarah Palin become so important (not) that investors would make decisions on what she says. I am still trying to figure out what people see in her. All she does is bad mouth anyone who doesn't agree with her, just like republicans! Oh thats right, she is one! That says it all!!!!!!

126. Mark

I'd take advice from her before our Socialist/Racist President Obama! The free market works, government intervention doesn't. If he had cut taxes all the way around, I would have placed a Vegas bet that the economy would have already turned around. Tricled down economics works, if you want to work!
    Regards,
    Mark

127. Brandon

I hope and Pray that she wins the republican nomination in 2012. Watching her try to debate Obama would be better than watching her do that interview with Katie Couric.

128. Brian

Investment advice from Sarah Palin? Are you joking? I wouldn't take pedicure advice from that woman. She's an embarassment to the country, and the only reason foreign leaders are even entertaining her is because she's entertaining. That's it. She's proven time and time again that she doesn't have a single semi-intelligent word to say about anything.

129. Judy

Did she use taxpayers' money to fly over there and badmouth her country to Communists? What a whack-job.

130. Jurn Stewart

Absolutely not. I wouln't take advice from anyone who quit a good job in the current economy.

131. Dugan

Not a chance would I take investment advice from Sarah 'The Quiter' Palin. She has no forsight, no cohesive plan for anything besides lying to the American public on a repeat basis.

132. J.P.

Sure, if I were a moose!

133. Rick McDaniel / Lewisville, TX

When it comes to managing money, listening to as much help as you can, makes sense. Doesn't mean you have to act on the recommendations, however, if there are any.

134. Ben Davis

I wouldn't take this woman's advice on what to have for dinner, let alone on investment decisions.

That said, I think its comical Palin blames the economic meltdown on government and says government can't get us out of it.

Perhaps Mrs. Palin doesn't understand her party was in power when the meltdown happened. The American people sure understand it.

Listen to Palin on anything? No thanks.

Ben,
    Mount Vernon, WA

135. Jackie in Dallas

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    Only so far as to invest in any company that she advises AGAINST, Jack!

The woman left the town she was major of in debt to the tune of 7 million dollars — when it had a surplus when she started. She left a financial mess in Alaska when she resigned. Her own finances are a mess, and to my knowledge, she hasn’t done anything about that money she spent on clothes and makeup being paid back to the RNC or auctioned off, either.

The state of Alaska threatened to not accept stimulus money, but there is still some going there — and the entire state receives money from the oil companies. Gee, I wonder where she learned her economics? At one of the three universities it took her 6 years to graduate from?

And after too many years of Reaganomics in this country, we are in the worst financial mess in almost a century. Perhaps she ought to take care of her own messes before commenting on the ones that President Obama is trying to clean up! Or better yet, she should only speak on subjects she knows something about, like how easy it is to shoot wolves from a helicopter, or how to make mooseburgers!

136. Oltov Illo

I would probably take what she says and do the opposite. I hope she stays out of politics for good.

137. John

Sarah Palin is only qualified to be on a realty TV show. Other than that, there are plenty of pretty women you can ask opinions of.

And why did she never mention "massive federal bailouts and growing government deficits" she is "so concerned about" when she was running for office? Transparent and meaningless as today's GOP.

John C
    Atlanta – Atlantis GA

138. Griff

Is it true that Sarah Palin prepared for her Hong Kong speech and attempted to beef up her expertise on China by recently eating at Panda Express?
    Did she then get her advice on the speech from the message she got inside a fortune cookie she got at the restaurant?
    And did Palin fail to realize before giving the speech that the very government she blames for the housing market collapse last year, was at the time under the direction of the very party she was part of and its vice-presidential nominee?
    What an embarrassing representative of our country.

Griff,
    Orlando, FL

139. Alec

As an ex pat Brit I have to say I wouldn't make any decisions on anything Palin says, seems to me she is just trying to capitalize on her new found fame and doesn't have enough world experience to make comments on anything other than Moose and Alaska. Leave politics to people who understand it Sarah. You really are a subject of laughter in the real world.

140. Stacy

Palin is an idiot. Anyone taking investment advice from her is insane.

141. David B, Ashland, OR

You betcha, doggonit because it's all about job creation and not palin' around with Communists donthcha know and...oh...wait...did you say she was speakin' in China? COMMUNIST China?

Never mind.

142. Greg

Jack, You're kidding...right?

143. Brian

I hope I speak for many of us in saying that I'm tired of seeing this woman on TV and I'm tired of hearing her nonsensical baseless political rhetoric. Her reputation isn't worth the grain of salt that she sprinkles on her moose. If anyone actually "invests" in anything she has to say, then I'd like to sell them that famous bridge in Brooklyn.

144. Eve - AZ

Good grief!! Why would any intelligent person listen to ANYTHING Palin had to say? I'm a well-educated individual, with an above-average IQ, who was successful in my career. Palin is an ignorant, egotistical person, and the only thing Palin will get from me is my contempt.

Eve – AZ

September 23, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  145. Tyler

Can she see a bank from her house? Even if she can, I do not think that qualifies her at all to be able to give economic advice.

September 23, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  146. Joe Rogers from Annapolis, MD

I've got to thank you, Jack, for brightening my afternoon and the afternoon of many of your followers....just the thought of following
    any kind of advice from Sarah Palin brought me to a top level
    outburst in laughter!

September 23, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  147. Dee

Are you crazy? I would let my pet hamster make investment decisions before listening to her for investment advice!

Louisiana

September 23, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  148. Bernard

I bet you Sarah Palin cannot even locate Tibet on the map. These businessmen who attended must have treated her speech as an after-dinner entertainment show and some still found it too boring and expensive.

September 23, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  149. James in Hawaii

Jack,
    I wouldn't buy groceries based on Sarah's opinions. If I were sitting in audience, I would have asked "why is she here?" She's not a US spokesman. A private US citizen that failed at governing her own state, was part of an emabarassing political run, is not a Nobel recipient, has no global financial acumen and only recently received a passport. Who invited her and why? What could any of the listeners possibly learn from her? Maybe she was comic-relief and didn't realize it.

September 23, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  150. peter

It took her 6 years to complete a journalism degree. I can't believe anyone with a brain would consider allowing her to make policy for the country and world.

September 23, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  151. Gene Laska

If I was a carpenter, and she was a lady, I would'nt spend a nickle, not even maybe.

September 23, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  152. Diana

I will show you Obama's birth certificate after you show me Palin's high school diploma....

September 23, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  153. Annie, Atlanta

No. The only thing we can trust from Palin is to stir up hate and be utterly stupid. Sound advice on anything else? Please! And I’ll say it again, McCain needs to apologize for unleashing her on us. You know, Jack, if the media just ignored her, she would go away.

September 23, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  154. tom hazen

the idea of palin speaking to leaders of a finace qroup, is very entertaining
    .i have to ask , who is to better from this speach.
    surely it is not the audience
    maybe palin will feel more worldly now, but the facts remain, she is a fisherman from alaska
    thaat is all she ever will be.
    the news channels should just ignore this person.
    most any american is much more news worthy
    tom

155. Stephen in PA

Jack? This is a 'trick' question, isn't it?

156. Rooptiepoop

Investment advise coming from this dummy? I would get better stock tips from my cat.

157. george

Why do we keep interest in a person so ill equipped to talk about complex issues and throw nilhist one liners around. Its like a C- student reading the cliff notes of Atlas Shrugged,

158. Tyler

Tyler
    Haddonfield, NJ

159. Neil W.

The simple answer is, "Hell, NO!" If Palin did not have above average looks she would still be an obscure hockeymom/governor in Alaska. Why any person of above average intelligence gives her the time of day continues to bewilder me. I thought the international business community had more brains than that.

160. David

Jack, I would not by a pack of Tic Tac's based on what Sarah Palin has to say about the ecconomy. She was governor of the only state in the Union that does not have to worry about money for the most part due to oil revenues there, yet she made terrible finicial decisions that cost the state untold dollars. The road to no where for one. She does not know who the players are in the world and I lost a great deal of faith in a man I respect "John McCain," by choosing her as a running mate. She is in way too deep over her head and it is time for her to fade away. Her 15 minutes are long up. She should go home and field dress a moose or whatever she does at home in Alaska.

161. Peggy Spokane WA

Jack,
    Do you remember what happened to the Dixie Chicks when they criticized Bush while on foriegn soil???
    There was complete outrage by many on the right that while in a foriegn country they should never have spoken of the decisions made by the administration.
    They were ostracised and radio stations quit playing their music.
    My question back to you is...Is there anyway to stop playing Palin's sing songy "speach" music??? Please say yes!!!!

162. ATL Guy

I'm so sorry for those people who had to sit and listen to Palin babble about being from Mainstreet USA. They were probably scratching their heads and wondering how quickly they could get a refund. Her kind of talk turns on the ignorants in the low country of South Carolina but just puzzles the daylights out of the rest of us civilized folks.

163. lms

It's a sad day when someone calls on Ms. Palin for investment advice. I'm glad she finally got a passport and is opening up her world. Maybe she'll someday realize on her very own why she looks so silly to the rest of us.

164. paul westminster maryland

Absolutely. From a contrarian viewpoint I can think of few others that know less about how to manage anything. The word on the sreet is that if she runs in 2012 she will name Joe Wilson as her running mate, Mark Stanfird as her ambassador to Argentina, and Limbaugh as her press secretary. Only in America.

165. George Egly, Arkansas

Jack, Palin and Gadaffi ranting on the same day for over and hour and a half. Wow Jack watch the sky chicken little may have been right.

166. T.Bieber

Ms. Palin is for the common person and not the liberals that can't
    see the common sense and good judgement of what is right and wrong. Yes, I would trust her judegment in a lot of things.
    Sorry liberals, you wouldn't understand that.

167. A. Aluko

Jack! Jack!! Jack!!! Are u kidding me????
    Who ever makes investment decisions based on what Sarah Palin says is heading towards having the same fate as the following countries ....Zimbabwe, Congo, Burundi, Liberia and Guinea Bissau......those are the 5 poorest countries in the whole world!...or to be more precise and closer to home....heading towards Lehman Brothers fate....i.e. Oprah turning into M.C. Hammer.

168. Steph

Jack Jack shake yourself....1 year ago she couldn't tell us where China was !!!

169. Isiah samuels

Yes i would make investment decisions because i love america and everyone in it and what sarah palin said was true

170. Frank

Yes, I would Jack. Guns and gold seem to be the currency of the future and Alaskans are ahead of the game.

171. Sidney Miller

Yes, if you invested in the Edsel, the Cleveland Browns going to the Super Bowl this year, and George Bush acknowledging he made a mistake in going into Iraq.

172. Rolando DePuy

Jack I love you. But what is the obsession that you have with Palin?
    With so many subjects that we have of great urgency, you choose to give time to her. Might as well, tell us the horrendous suffering you went thru when your wife was ill. I tell you Jack that is when I saw fiber in you, not someone who ask questions and get answers.
    Ask about how many Presidents we have in this country.Congress/the senate are the most envious people because by their Garbage coming out from their mouth, Their pockets comes first, second to make it difficult for the commander in Chief to do their job, in the name of their party, without realizing everytime they open their mouth it is the country that suffers. But they do not care. Paling is doing the same, I won't even mention her country unless it meant she died

173. Timothy

One word not a credible witness. If what she had to say was of credibility then it would have been broadcast. Two words "lacks credibility"

174. Frank

Not only would I NOT invest based on anything Palin says, I would ignore anything she says about any subject. I only hope the voters in our country are bright enough to recognize how basically stupid she is, but informed enough to realize she is merely the mouthpiece for the failed policies of Republican machine that put us in the terrible shape we find ourselves today.

175. Geoff Newton

Unfortunately, I couldn't take financial advise from former Gov. Palin. The governor hasn't been able to convince me that she has the experience in financial management in our continental United States much less global financial wisdom. I still think she is being guided by a puppet master.

176. Bill

Sarah, zero dollars, Obama $1.6 Trillion dollars and only nine months out of a four term as President. I smell a change coming......

177. Shirley McPherson

To answer your question No. Secondly, shouldn't someone in US govt. approve speeches given in communist countries. I guess the rules that applly to country entertainers (Dixie Chicks) don't apply for political candidates overseas.

Sarah should be censored.

178. andrew in aberdeen

Jack, I wouldn't make investment decisions based on what Palin, Cafferty, Obama, or the Pope recommend. No one in their right (or left) mind would. With the exception of Cafferty, would you?

If your answer is "Yes", please contact me. I would like to sell China to you.

179. Sanac, Queens,NY

No way Jose! Palin was not invited as financial advisor but as someone who could served as motivation for Optimism & hope. she's a good example of hope starting from "scratch to power".

180. Mr Brown

If Palin said "I think this country will rebound economically and we will be stronger than ever in no time, I am cashing out my 401K, draining my savings and checking accounts and moving to Russia.

That would tell me this country is completely doomed

181. robert, from florida

on palin, i would'nt let palin go to the store and acquire a roll of tolet paper for me .

182. Bob, SC

Investment advise from Palin ought to be at least as good as Bush's. See how well he led the economy?

183. Patrick G. from Countryside Illinois

You go to Sarah Palin only if you are not seeking sound advice – on ANYTHING. No qualifications, no experience, no intelligence – it all adds up just fine doesn't it? This woman is a sideshow.

184. Tom

She is taking her own investment advice. Getting publicity for a future book deal, talk show, something to generate income. Perhaps the speaking tour. Will it stop at the house of comedy?

185. Tom

Come on Jack, there has been a recession going on. As a money manager how long do think I would remain employed if I took investment advice from a self described hockey Mom! I instead prefer to stick with the financial experts like the Tooth Fairy, who I can always count on for a good reurn on investments.

186. Chris from PA

No. In fact, I don't waste my time with anything she says. She's proved to me she's an idiot.

187. Mike K - Caledonia, Mi

Of course I would. Wasn't she an integral member of the team that said "The Fundamentals of Economy are Strong" just before it nearly imploded. She was smart enough to get 150K in new clothes for the campaign and has turned a Sports Reporters job in WASILLA into the Golden Goose. She even has people paying her to give speeches.

2 years ago, no one outside of Alaska and the contiguous area of Russia, had ever heard of her. Now, nearly half of the population of the planet gets nauseous every time we here her name. She is obviously a genius in a mentally challenged body.

September 23, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  188. Richard, Kankakee, IL.

It's bad enough when the village idiot talks in her own country and state, and now she is showing the world that we are sending a fool to blab her one brain cell out and talk about hate and fear in America, she is not a good Ambassador to the world!

189. Allen, Texas

Jack, you got to be kidding! Is this your idea of a joke. Please get serious!!

190. Frank

Whether you are right or wrong does not really matter. Being consistent is what makes the big difference, therefore one that is always wrong is as valuable as the other who is always right. Of course, I would take financial investments from Sarah Palin and simply go the other way to do the exact opposite. In the long run, this would be a very profitable strategy.

191. George

Why would you consider taking investment advice from a quitter who has absolutely no credentials on anything? She has embarrassed the United States.

192. John

And we should make investments based on the advice coming out of Washington. To me, its tit for tat.

193. Pete

Hi America...

It's obvious that even though the media was not invited to this speech she and her puppet masters are trying to get any foreign publicity she can get...note to media...leave her alone and she'll go away!

Love your show Jack!!!

194. Mark

I certainly wouldn't put my trust or faith in Ms Palin's financial advise. She can't even manage her own family affairs. Besides that, she is a quitter. I would like to know the names of the investors that paid to see her so that I know who not to trust with my money.

195. orion

Jack i won't. How about you and Wolfe?

196. Edward

Never. Considering when she was attacked on her foreign policy experience, she fought back with "I can see Russia from my State."
    How could I trust her with my investments? She would have me investing in hockey sticks and Alaskan tooth paste.

197. Ron from Oklahoma

Sure, Jack. But I would use a "shorting" strategy. Then I could finally retire.

Ron

198. Ellen Creane

I wouldn't make a decision about anything based on what Sarah Palin says, let alone my money! She blames the government for the financial meltdown when it was the BANKS and the greedy mortgage brokers who didn't document income when lending money for mortgages. The BANKS and the mortgage brokers hoodwinked ordinary people into signing for low-ball interest rates that would reset beyond the ability of those folks to pay. Regulators failed to police the BANKS and the fine print entrapped many ordinary people. Sarah Palin is a Blamer, not a Problem-Solver.

199. Angela

Only if I wanted to lose everything and end up on welfare. What does this woman know and where is her creditianls to give her any serious consideration on this topic? It really diminshes my respect for any organization that would take her seriously.

200. Art

To answer your question, :"No, NEVER"

Here is my question: How in the heck could any legitmate investment
    concern ask Sahar Palin to speak on anything including fishing and
    moose in Alaska.

201. Brenda from Detroit

Jack – you have got to be kidding! This woman is nuts. She couldn't even hold down her governor gig – she is totally delusional – thanks to John McCain who unleashed her on us...til then she was a little unknown governor wearing pink fleece work out clothes doing her own hair & makeup. wink – wink! – "can I call you Joe?"

202. maracuda, phoenix, AZ

I am amazed by seeing that this woman, graduating in six years, not having an economic degree (in my judgement any degree at all) talking to an audience of CEO's of investment bankers!!!!!
    it put me in wonder what type of organization it was to invite her or is she travelling and speaking by campaign donation?
    I would not even waste my time to go any events where this worth of nothing talks.

203. beevee

No way in hell I wiould listen to what this bimbo says. Now all of a sudden she is a financial guru? Whoever invited her to Hong Kong did not do so for her fnancial wizardy. I can bet they had other things in mind.

204. Steve

Hi Jack: You got to be kidding. As soon as she showed up on Saturday Night Live. I think she lost a lot of (What,s going on anyway)
    Is she really serious, or is is it just a joke,hey loosen up I am just joking around right now,excuse me. There are some people that can get away this but, I am afraid not her. No, I would not be very comfortable with Palin. Period.
    Steve Kingston Ont.

205. Mary Texas

Jack,surely you jest.

206. Muin

No. Stupid idea

207. bill

The question would funny except for the fact her speaking engagement was real – THAT'S scary.

208. dan

help us if this is preparing for the next election...

209. Rob Tyson

Investment advice from Palin? Maybe if I was contrarian! Do the complete opposite of whatever she recommends.

210. Julie

Ha. She would be the last person I would make my economic decisions from. Her? From Main Street? That would be as if someone from the Sahara Desert says that he represents the arctic.

No one in America likes her, so now she's going to Hong Kong for support? If she's going to criticize Obama, do it in the US. I didn't listen to her speech, and I certainly don't plan to.

PS- You can't see Russia from Alaska.

September 23, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  211. Tom in Iowa

Palin is a nobody who wants to be somebody and since she couldn't talk at the UN where all the leaders of the world are speaking, she choses to go to a faithless, communist dictatorship and to them about economics?

Personally I wouldn't listen to, or rather sleep through, one of her speeches if someone paid me to.

Tom in Iowa

September 23, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  212. :Marj

She was invited for one reason-to pageant walk to and from the podium and wink. period

September 23, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  213. Stan

Sarah Palin is cute and adorable--She should follow Tom Delays lead and go on" Dancing With the Stars."

September 23, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  214. birdy

sarah palin didn't even know what the federal reserve was until she read the cliff's notes a couple of months ago. she is an idiot.

the only thing she knows about money is that she could make more without having to work too hard after quitting on the people of alaska.

September 23, 2009 at 5:25 pm |