July 2nd, 2009

Good idea to allow guns in bars?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

They didn't call it the Wild, Wild West for nothing... and in a giant step backwards in time, guns may soon be allowed in Arizona bars. The state Senate has passed a bill that would let people with concealed weapons permits carry a gun into businesses that serve alcohol.

The measure now goes to Republican Governor Jan Brewer - who hasn't said if she'll sign it, but is a long-time supporter of gun rights.

Critics say guns and alcohol are a dangerous combination. Really? Some restaurant and bar owners are worried it would jeopardize public safety, increase employer liability and hurt tourism. They think the bill will in essence turn the clock back to the days of the Wild West.

One Democratic lawmaker who voted against the measure says: "We don't let people drink and drive, why should we let them drink and carry guns?"

But supporters insist they should be able to protect themselves regardless of where they are. One of the bill's sponsors says the most important thing is that people carrying guns into bars aren't allowed to drink. Fine, but if the gun is concealed, how do you know who has a weapon, and who doesn't? And by the time you find out... it might be too late.

The National Rifle Association says 40 states have similar laws and insists it's just common sense since criminal activity happens everywhere.

Here’s my question to you: Is it a good idea to allow guns in bars?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Roy writes:
Uh, no! Alcohol, guns, and men competing for the attention of women, what could possibly go wrong? Anybody who thinks this is a good idea has been standing out in the Arizona sun without a hat for too long!

Randy from Salt Lake City, Utah writes:
Yeah, sure. Instead of drunks getting into brawls with other drunks and then staggering to their trucks to go home and beat their wife (and potentially plow their trucks into a family of four, thus killing them), they'll just shoot they guy who said the Steelers sucked.

Lynn from Columbia, Missouri writes:
It's about as good an idea as allowing them in national parks. I think they're trying to lower the census before 2010.

Guy writes:
Yes. Criminals do not discriminate on where they carry a weapon, most don't even get a permit. So why should law-abiding citizens, such as those who get a permit, be prevented from protecting themselves?

George writes:
Florida has allowed people to eat and drink in restaurants since 1987 while carrying concealed guns. It has not been an issue for the 575,000 people who have permits in Florida, or the millions of people who come to Florida from the 32 states that have reciprocity for their permits.

Gregory from Miami Beach, Florida writes:
A lot more violence happens in bars than you really know about, not to mention what happens in households when some of the drinkers get home. If you wouldn’t put car keys in a drinker’s hands, then why you put a gun in them?

Sandy from Sunnyvale, California writes:
No, guns should not be allowed in bars with one exception: karaoke bars.

Don from Newtown, Pennsylvania writes:
Jack, Be careful if you order a shot in a Scottsdale watering hole.

Filed under: United States
  1. Dennis north Carolina

no, but it is not the drink that kills. it is not the gun that will kill. it is the human who will kill and use the drink and the gun as a excuse.

July 2, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  2. stef in minneapolis

Only if I'm allowed to shoot the idiots that passed that bill.

July 2, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  3. Karen - TN

I've seen angry bar patrons throw insults, drinks, and punches. I'd hate to be there if bullerts were involved.

July 2, 2009 at 5:04 pm |
  4. Cathleen Lewis

Somehow, the stipulation that people can't bring a gun into a bar... and drink... is silly. If you are brandishing a gun and walking in a bar.. I would assume you are not there to drink anyway. Check Please!

July 2, 2009 at 5:04 pm |
  5. Dave Geiger in Alabama

Other than it's stupid to let irresponsible people drink anywhere, there is some kind of fiendish possibility that this may be a diabolical plot to thin the herd. Just think of a group of armed hot headed drunks in a bar trying to out-macho each other. The down side is that the cost of health care will probably go up.

July 2, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  6. roger dowdle lockhart, tx

Maybe the one to check with would be EX new york giant Plaxico Burress. At least it will cut down on the number of argumentative drunks! (over time)

July 2, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  7. Tom from Philly

ok then, as the next phase of stimulus we need to fabricate a handgun and 1000 rounds of ammo for every american. then to curb entitlements we let there be amnesty days where you can shoot and kill anyone that you think is a drag on society and not go to jail for it.

Booming steel industry, declining public spending... win win situation here wating to happen

July 2, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  8. Jay in Texas

No, Jack, it is a terrible idea to allow guns in bars. Even many saloons in the Old West outlawed them within their doors. Having been a regular patron of bars for 20 years myself, I shudder to think of what would have happened during the many bar fights I witnessed or participated in if guns had been present. We had to make due with beer bottles and pool cues so if they were good enough for us back then, they are good enough for today's drunks.
    Brownwood, Texas

July 2, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  9. Brian - Trinidad

Yes,and to make it really interesting,lets hide all the booze!What a ridiculous question to put on the national stage!

July 2, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  10. Mark...........in Houston

Here in the land of.."the decider"...and "bring em back dead or alive "
    types, it might be for the best. Maybe they can start knocking each other off in bars after a few "longnecks" instead of killing innocents out in the neighborhoods.

July 2, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  11. John, Fort Collins, CO

The idea of allowing firearms in any establishment that serves alcohol is so ludicrous it should be a Gary Larson cartoon: "Is it a good idea to allow gnus in bars".

July 2, 2009 at 5:08 pm |
  12. Paulette,Dallas,PA

Not a good mix in my book. Bars that allow those to tote guns should have to post this at the entry so innocent people without guns have the choice not to enter.

July 2, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  13. Mike from St. Paul

In a free society, it would be up to the owner of the bar.

July 2, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  14. Bruce

It is not up to the "state" to dictate our rights. The government's rightful role is servant, an entity to fulfill the wishes of the people, its masters, and to serve at our pleasure. The Constitution codifies the god-given right, one of hundreds of thousands of such rights, to carry and protect ourselves where-ever and whenever we wish, with no abridgement. People tend to be more polite when they know they or others are concealed carrying, so I think bars are definitely a good place to carry.

July 2, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  15. Michael Washington

Are you kidding me? Let's see how many times someone has to get shot in an Arizona bars before this get's changed.

July 2, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  16. Don Howard

Jack – Be careful if your order a Shot in a Scottsdale watering hole.

July 2, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  17. Len

Yea this is such a great idea guys....NOT!!!.....

July 2, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  18. Annie, Atlanta

This is a bad idea – absurd really. Of course the NRA and common sense have never gone hand in hand. Can we outlaw the NRA under one of our new terrorist laws?

July 2, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  19. Bob in Concord

I can see the headlines now...."Who could have anticipated..." or "What could possibly go wrong?"

July 2, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  20. Joe from IL

Are you kidding me? No wonder the Europeans make fun of us and think of us all as "gun-obsessed cowboys!" I know, cuz I just returned from studying abroad in France!!!! They literally think of us as "cowboy bushes." Ridiculous Arizona, ridiculous!

July 2, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  21. Faatimah, new york

Guns and impaired judgement, sounds like a match made in hell.

July 2, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  22. Carrie - Nevada

Absolutely not. I've never been a fan of concealed weapon permits to begin with, but add alcohol in to the mix and we've got ourselves some problems in the future.

July 2, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  23. Suzy

Dumbest idea I've heard in a long time. What are they thinking? The last place I want to be is in the same room as a drunk guy with a gun!

24. Elle in Arizona

no, it's a bad idea but typical for Arizona.

25. JL

Are you kidding? Absolutely not! As a club owner/partner, I would not allow anyone to enter one of my family's clubs carrying a weapon.

26. Brendan

I just moved back to the US after four years in Montreal. Call me crazy, but I feel much safer in a country where only law enforcement can carry concealed weapons. I may just start planning my move back.

27. Sam

It’s never a good idea to mix anything with alcohol.

28. charles

Re: Arizona's proposal for the ok to carry guns in bars.
    Can we become anymore insane? It must the be heat there the effects the brains ability to think clearly.

29. Stephi, Los Angeles, CA

Gun powder and alcohol? Well, Duh! Ka-boom!

30. Nancy, Tennessee

Booze and guns now that's a combination we can all live without. Everybody knows when folks drink they think they're ten foot tall and bullet-proof. Put the guns in bar and we'll have more shootouts than at the O.K. Corral.

31. Allan Fetherolf

I live in Arizona and our legislature is just plain NUTS! Allowing guns in bars is insane and are the bartenders going to have to do strip searches to find out who has one and is therefore not allowed to drink? I love Arizona but-–

July 2, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  32. Chuck in Sheboygan, WI.

Well, it's certainly one way to promote natural selection, removal of the dumbest members of a society and population control all in one quick-draw package. Bartender, another round of ammo on me!

33. Meghaan

This is absurd!!!! Why would guns be allowed in bars when people could easily get drunk and cause alot of physical accidents?

34. John in Oklahoma

Guns + Alcohol = a good thing? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I would expect this in Texas, where they would pry their guns from their cold dead fingers, but in Arizona? REALLY? I thought Arizona was trying to LIVE DOWN their Wild West persona. Guns + Alcohol = lots of dead people. Not a good thing.

35. Gloria Anton

Absolutely not! I was in a random shooting in a bar in 1981, 24 people shot in Salem, Oregon and 4 died – I was one of the survivors. Guns and bars do not a good mixer make. This can't be residents of Arizona wanting this – with all the violence in public places across the country I don't think Arizona is immune. I am mystified as to what logic thought this idiot idea up and who thought it up. Amazing to be considering this at such a crucial time for everyone in this nation.

36. Peter M

Would you trust a psychotic with a loaded weapon? A drunk with a loaded gun is more dangerous. Imagine 20 or 50 armed drunks in a bar trying to get laid...

This is just insane.

37. grady early

I don't have a problem with guns in bars if they're required; not just permitted.

38. Craig in Seattle

No, this is not a good idea.
    We have to consider the health impacts on the wait staff of having to deal with second-hand bullets!

39. Ken in NC

Sign on the door of a Bar. "GUNS ALLOWED". Sign on the door of the law makers. "IDIOTS AT WORK". Ya Think?

40. jenramos

This is the MOST insane law ....I am POSITIVE more people will die as a result of this if it passes....I understand people want to protect themselves, but what about those who get drunk and decide they want to pull out their gun every time they get angry at someone????CRAZY.

41. seeksense

Alcohol & Deadly Weapons!? Big Fat NO!!
    Those people who asked for this and/or try to made this legal are unbelievably, perhaps irretrievably, stupid & irresponsible.
    I wouldn't trust them to pick up the dog poop from my yard.
    It sickens me that so many Americans are so insecure they feel they must carry a deadly weapon into a park, a bar, a church...whats next??
    Maybe we should issue a gun to every new born child and require that all Americans carry loaded weapons at all times.
    Are we getting dumber as a species?? Devolving?
    Seems that some of us are.
    Palm Bay, FL

42. Jeff

no, that's bad idea. Drunks and guns don't mix

43. Guy

Criminals do not discriminate on where they carry a weapon, most don't even get a permit so, why should law abiding citizens such as those who get a permit be prevented from protecting themselves.

44. Yetunde

no it is a bad idea, there will be more deaths, people will get drunk and start firing at people. It is dangerous! no no no

45. Richard

Yes it is a good idea as long as the only individuals allowed to carry them are the bartender and law enforcement officers.

46. Vic Bothast, Indiana

Yes, Jack. But only in the bars around Capitol Hill and the State House.

47. Aaron

Its true that guns and alcohol do not mix, but what about the lawless? Do you honestly believe someone who intends on discharging a weapon will care about laws preventing concealed weapons in the first place? We are naive to believe that a law such as this, or any other concealed weapon law, will prevent "bad guys" from bringing in weapons.

48. Sandy in Sunnyvale, CA

No, guns should not be allowed in bars... with one exception: karaoke bars.

49. Tony from Michigan

Scratch Arizona off the travel list because the nuts have taken over.

50. Greg

I find that this is extremely bad idea. People did fine for years without guns in bars, they'll be fine now. And the NRA, they always have to put there two cents. Not everyone lives in Texas...

51. clyde

I think this is very ridiculous and a senseless attempt to keep people from Arizona...lol

52. Jonathan K.

Well I know I always make my best decisions in bars. So why not add a gun to the mix!

Here's a promo idea: Martinis and Magnums...

53. Jill

Sure, why not allow guns in bars! And while we're at it, let's let sixteen year olds in the bars too! oh wait, I'm sorry, that's just my impaired judgement talking... I'm at the bar now!

54. John Murphy

The question should be "Is it a good idea to allow guns anywhere", and the answer, of course is "NO". The US Second Amendment is a totally outdated concept and a joke in the modern world . Guns in 1776 were one thing...modern weapons is another.

55. Krishna

It is really not a good idea to carry weapons it can be any means in to Bar where we and everyone try to have some Fun , and this fun be disastrous if some one loses the Temper and as you said we are sure we can Experience the Wild Wild West Shootings like Clint East wood Old time Movies.

56. Byron

OK all that is missing now will be the boots, a cowboy hat, a piano player, and then a good ol' fashion shootout once everyone gets drunk. This is not the "SMARTEST" idea.

57. Lindsey Owens

Oh Jack, really? How many bar fights have I seen and I'm only 24! This is the worst idea. Bar "fights" will turn into bar "homicides." Who thinks of this stuff??

58. Dene Siva

Are they insane? Congress and law makers should invest their time and efforts in issues that are actually protecting Americans! Heat & beer don't go well!

59. Carmen

Is this for real? My 18-year old just heard this story and thought it sounded like an episode from "Family Guy."

60. Terri

Gee Jack as that Registered Nurse who will be taking care of those who drink to much this weekend, maybe I should consider moving to AZ.....as a level one trauma nurse (that's the most critical type of trauma) I can tell you guns in the hands of those who drink alcohol NEVER leads to anything good.....guess I'll be moving soon!!!

61. the phil you never put on the air

Yes Jack, people are already allowed to carry their guns wherever they want. Sicne the constitution is the Supreme Law of our Land (and any law going against it is void) and since human rights are inherent, states must comply to the"–shall not be infringed" clause of the second amendment. Practically, it is commons sense to have libertarian gun laws since there is only 1 cop for every 300 people it has also been proven that looser gun laws make for the safest areas. That town out west that requires gun ownership has never had a single murder. When will you follow your head instead of your inclinations?

62. MetzyMom

As a resident of Arizona, and the owner of several guns, I don't remember this being voted on... I can say I've not heard anything about this until I saw your blog and TV appearance... and I can say, without a doubt, that I would've voted NO. This has nothing to do with protecting oneself... or gun owner rights... it's just plain stupid to mix guns and alcohol!!!

63. Kirsten

I've lived long enough to watch stupid people do stupid things, but this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. This world is already not safe enough due to crazy and stupid people, and the death rate is more than it should be. Why raise it? If that law passes, I'm moving to Canada. Maybe the political leaders will be smarter than the ones in Arizona.

64. RUFUS IYOHA

This will be the most insane bill there will ever be passed. How could people who are drunk control there emotion when they have guns on them in the bar. I

65. Jonathan Wolf

My state (Tennessee) has recently tried to pass virtually the same "guns in bars" law, and I still say that the idea of giving drunkards ammunition to cause trouble is possibly the dumbest thing not to come out of Sarah Palin's mouth. Our economy is failing, leaving hundreds of thousands of people out of work, many of who go to the bars to drink their problems away. Do we really want to encourage these down-and-out men and women to carry guns in places where bar fights are aplenty? I think I'd rather stick to people bashing each other with pool cues instead of shooting each other.

66. Nicole

Dear Jack,

This is literally the stupidest thing i've ever heard.

67. Cooper

That is the most stupid thing I have ever heard! Why would you let some drunk guy have a gun in a highly populated area. I am an eleven year old kid and even I know enough not to do that. I just won't go to Arizona. Whoever passed that bill must be some kind of crazy.

68. mario from Michigan

sure,

an armed society is a polite one.

69. Reeda in Richmond, VA

Yes Jack, allowing guns in bars is a very good idea...IF you're a mortician.

70. Patrick

Name one bar where there isn't a fight any given weekend. Now we will have a gun fight every weekend. Gun nuts are just that nuts. I guess let them kill each other so we can restore some sanity in this country.

Patrick

Kentucky

71. Drew in Clearwater

Guns in Bars? Absolutely. No issue here. I also run with scissors and swim with sharks. I am more worried about overdosing on acetaminophen. Guns in bars are fine, just keep out the Extra Strength Tylenol!

72. Bradley

No I think its not a good idea because people mainly go to bars to drink and socialize. Guns and alcohol. You figure it out

73. David

I lived in Arizona. No, it's a very bad idea to allow guns into any bar any where.

74. Jelani Jefferson

I'm a Licensed Gun owner and also prior Military and feel it would be a BAD idea for guns being allowed in a bar. Guns and Alcohol don't go together at all! Expect tragedy.

75. Mike

Ummm............You know, I used to live in Ft. Lauderdale and the Broward Co. Sheriff's Office used to have public service announcements on the T.V. asking people to please stop before giving in to road rage because at the time, there was at least 5 shootings a week on I-95 due to road rage..........I can't even think of what the announcements will be like in Arizona if the allow this ludicrous law to pass.

I mean this will bring a whole new meaning to the phrase 'bar fight'!!!!!

76. John

Jack argues that since the weapons are concealed, the bartenders have no idea who to serve alcohol to.

What he fails to understand is that this is completely fine, as bartenders don't know who's going to be driving home at the end of the night either, yet still serve everyone alcohol.

Numerous court cases have shown the fault lies with the patron who makes the conscious, irresponsible decision to drink and drive, not the bartender.

77. Nick Del Monte

Yup, ranks right up there with letting George Bush run for a third term!

78. george

did i hear you rite.................no..no....

guns at the watering hole.... sounds like a bad way to kick off the fourth of july.
    george
    chester,ct.

79. Ken in NC

Sure Jack. It’s a great idea to allow guns in bars. While installing them in bars, let’s not forget the court rooms and jail cells.

80. Len

My uncle shot himself in the leg which severed a artery. It happened at a bar while drunk outside the Country 5 years ago....not a great idea.... Do you want to shoot yourself while Drunk?

81. Nabaraj KC

Carrying the gun and get into the bar looks stupid: this is just non-sense. Even some bar tender forget to check the ID for the age proof, forget about to check whether the person has gun. My suggession is just carry the cash not the gun.........

KC/ Albany NY

82. Alan S. Krug, Ph.D.

We in Pennsylvania who have been duly issued licenses to carry a firearm have been able to do so in places that serve alcohol since the inception of the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act in 1934. It has never been a problem and I don't expect that it will be in Arizona. As a group, persons who have

83. Chris

It's a terrible idea to allow guns in bars. With so many bars that end up experiencing bar fights, people holding guns while intoxicated makes for an extremely bad situation.

84. Don DePasquale

I think Guns should be allowed in Bars. But you must regulate the type of gun allowed. My suggestion is water pistols only. But better than water, which rusts your innards, they should be loaded with the bars best liquor. Now if you are so drunk that you can't shoot straight. They only loser is the victim.

85. David Calef

Come up to Vermont! You need no permit to carry a gun anywhere. Concealed, open, or blazing! Well, maybe not blazing because there is some sort of law about discharging a weapon in a public place or something.

86. Don Werner

I live in Tennessee and they're passing the same law here allowing concealed weapons in bars. I think these people are nuts. I've seen what alcohol does to some people, like a friend of mine who has two drinks and suddenly wants to fight anyone who is close to him. This is lunacy. Are the inmates are running the asylum?

87. eugene

i can`t believe there is any dicussion about this. what kind of nucklehead state congress would vote for what account to legalized murder (the defendant already having a mentally impaired defense) in bars? you`d think with thier state budget in shambles, unemployment spiking, property values tanking, that they`d have more impotand "peoples business" to conduct.

88. Nick Armstrong

A very emphatic NO!! We have too many nut cases that have guns in their hands in this country and then we want to get 'em liquored up and strap on a holster??? YIKES!!!

89. Christopher Bewley

Well Jack,

I currently reside in Terre Haute, In; but have recently moved here from Payson, AZ. I spent most of my life in AZ and I am here to support the passing of this law because in Arizona there is so much crime coming in from Mexico and other wild west states that in order to ensure your personal protection a gun may have to be present. It saved my life in phoenix when someone tried to rob me and possibly kill me, i then pulled out my gun and shot at the ground by his feet; he fled and i felt my gun played a major role in protecting me. I am a full supporter......

90. CS Waaver

Lear's Fool said, "The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."

Perhaps the legislators in Arizona should look in the mirror of reality. Pandering to drunks with guns is not the way represent the best interests of ALL their constituents. Stop the madness. It will be too late to rescind the law when the shootings start.

91. lkinopfl

I will call ahead and find out which bars allow guns in and which do not. I will not go to those that allow guns. Last thing I want to do is be out drinking in a place where there's a bunch of gun-slinging drunk people. That is a major recipe for disaster. Those people who are crazy enough to believe that they "have" to carry a gun around "everywhere" they go are just that "crazy." And I don't want to be in a bar drinking with them. What if they "think" someone is trying to harm them and pull it out. I don't want to be in the middle of that. I'm 42 years old & I've never carried a gun and I've lived just fine up to this point. If someone's trying to harm me then I do what I should do and that's call the police. Especially if I'm in a public place I would call the police before I took matters into my own hands!

July 2, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  92. john j. grimes Watertown, Ma.

Somebody should explain to the State Senate of Arizona that proposals such as this one are only made on April 1st. Alcohol causes enough problems in the world without introducing guns into the equation. These legislators are obviously one taco short of a combination plate.

93. James Jennings

I think it is a great idea to allow guns in bars. People that obtain the Carry Concealed Weapons Permits (CCW) go through extensive firearms training regarding fire arms laws. Plus they go through a back ground check. It is unlikely a CCW holder would just whip out a gun for no reason unless their life was in danger.

This just offers people an extra layer of protection from otherwise unsavory individules.

94. Michael S.

If people want to carry a gun into a bar, they should establish "Gun Bars" in which it would be required that all patrons carry a firearm. Only then would there be a level playing field. Perhaps this would cull the heard a bit when drunken gun toting idiots face off – as they surely would.

95. Kim

Sure, carry your gun but check your ammo at the door with your coat. What a question! You Americans are stupider than I thought!
    Kim
    Canada

96. Koko/Massachusetts

Why Jack, you're my huckleberry! Doc Holiday would love to be in Tombstone once more and looking down the barrel at the Clanton gang.
    I knew AZ was looking for trouble, but a gun in a bar? Wyatt must be rolling over in his grave. :)

97. Ron - Oklahoma

Jack,
    Sure – I have no problem with anyone carrying a gun in a bar. As long as it is equipped with a breathalyzer like they put in cars of convicted drunk drivers. You would have to blow into it and register less than a 0.30 before it would fire. At least that would slow down the fire rate in all circumstances – even when sober.

Ron
    Oklahoma

98. Mitch Dworkin

The answer is "No." Allowing guns in bars is just as irresponsible as giving a gun to an angry little child because that is how many drunk people behave in bars. That is playing with fire and asking for trouble!

99. stephanie - san francisco

yeh...how about in preschools too!!

100. Eric from Missouri

Yes, because Arizona was a state in the Wild West and we want to keep the tradition going, so I think it's a good idea to carry guns in bars or other places that sell alcohol. And Arizona is in the desert anyway, why would we not want to have guns in bars? It's about the custom of the Wild West back in the past.

101. John - Minneapolis

The NRA's claim is that crime happens anywhere. So why stop with guns in bars? Let's pass conceal and carry laws for our schools and airports too.

102. Jade

Absolutely yes, it is a right in an old document that used to mean something called the Constitution! Law abiding citizens should be able to protect themselves. Criminals are armed! Less crime where the citizens who can defend themselves!!!!

103. Linda

Not a chance. It's just plain crazy to consider putting a gun in the hand of a drunk not to mention making it ok for them to conceal it on their person. Lets watch how much the crime rate goes up when drunks are allowed to play shoot em up if someone ticks them off in the bar. Sounds like someone is 6 cans short of a sixpack and the plastic rings are gone.

104. Betty Hood

Guns in bars? These people think they're living in the Old West still! Band handguns now!

105. John New York

The NRA has been pushing for all kinds of absurd laws that defy common sense allegedly in defence of the second amendment. We have park rangers who now have to as concerned with concealed weapons as they are with wildlife protection. Now mixing guns and alcohol. Much of this has to do with a fear that the Democrats are going to take away everyones' guns especially with Obama at the helm. Let me give the NRA a clue, NO ONE is going to take away your guns. So relax and stop pushing for all these laws that make no sense.

106. Hugh ~ California

How could it be safer to return to the days of the wild west, with citizens armed to the hip at the local watering hole? Are some of these lawmakers completely off their nut! Have they ever watched the movie "Tombstone?" I can see the story unfold, a man all liquored up pushes another guy in a bar who just insulted his girl-friend, then the dude grabs his piece. What happens next? Have these lawmaking bush-whackers ever studied human behavior? Instead of passing such idiotic laws, they should pass out these politicians some brains. Better yet, run them out of town on a rail!

107. chuck richardson

Well Jack.....you know the old saying, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"........

Sure let em tote the guns....then it can be the new saying, "do unto others before they do it unto you"....

later my friend...

chuck in WV

108. thaddeus

guns in bars is like a crook with a badge... anything could happen... why legalize something that could jeopordize peoples lives?... that's using commen sense!

109. Dean - Mesqhite, NV

ABSOLUTELY NOT! I have seen many altercations in bars where people would be dead if either of the parties involved had a gun. This will do nothing more than to increase the death rate from guns in this country. What a stupid idea!

110. Robert Bottoms

I have always had a good rule on how not to get shot in a bar–Don't be in a bar.

111. Bill

It is a crazy idea. Why set up situations for one person to kill another. Next they will come up with a make my day law for someone defending there honor in a bar when they shoot someone. Where will it end. We will see killings in churches and bars in the next few months and the republicans will probably blame it on Clinton, they blame everything else on poor slick Willie

112. Mike Stewart

Last time I checked, they don't allow drinking at shooting ranges; did I miss something?

July 2, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  113. Hubert Bertrand Oberlin La.

How many times I said our politicians are crazy, We can't pray in class rooms.We can't pray at ball games.We can't have the 10 comanment in the court house. But we can have guns in a bar???Our politicians can receive BRIBES, they can spend our money for their fun. God help us. and I mean it

114. Carol

You can't drive drunk, but you can "shoot" drunk? It's a nobrainer to me.

115. NG

Yeah lets make sure that legal carriers of guns can't take them with them whereever they go, lets disarm them in bars and schools and every place that we can. That way we can assure that only people who carry them illegaly have them everywhere they go

116. Lenny Cieslak

The right to bear arms is just that. When a person is properly licensed to carry concealed weapons, it should not matter where it is carried. They know how and when to bring it out.

117. Jelani Jefferson

I’m a Licensed Gun owner and also prior Military and feel it would be a BAD idea for guns being allowed in a bar. Guns and Alcohol don’t mix at all! Expect tragedy.

Syracuse, New York

118. Earl Lauderback, Atlanta

Jack,

Ah Duh,

We have been carrying guns into bars all year in Georgia, and on the subway system. I have yet to hear about any bar room gun incidents, including any punks that may think they could come into a bar to rob the patrons. A move like that would be beyond stupid.

Earl
    Atlanta

119. Cris

Jack,
    It is insane to even think about allowing guns in bars or in church even if unloaded. It doesn't take too long to snap a magazine into any firearm and squeez off a round. I am in agreement with the gentleman that says if we don't allow drinking and driving why allow guns in any establishment unless you are a peace officer.

Cris from Barstow California

120. greg fuchs

yes it is a good idea asaccording to the laws you cannot drink if you have a ccw anyway and you never know when things will turn ugly!

121. Todd

Jack,

It's not legal to drink and drive, yet I'm allowed to drive my car to the bar. Just like with automobiles, as long as I'm not drinking, I should be allowed to carry a firearm.
    I'd like to add this obsession with firearms by liberals is disturbing. We do not, and NEVER have, had a firearms problem in this nation. What we do have is a criminal problem. It's sad how the Dems focus on an inanimate object instead of the real problem – criminals. Take away firearms, and a criminal will kill with knives. Take away knives, they'll run people over with automobiles. Take away cars, they will use a bomb. If a person wants to kill, they'll find a way to do it. It's time we focus on the real problem, and start promoting guns as a part of a real world, practical solution.

122. Michael

Jack, like many other law-abiding citizens with a concealed carry permit, I make it a practice (as most other CCW permit holders do) to drink soft drinks if my friends are drinking alchol. That means I also become the 'designated driver', which is just fine with me. I have fun, and I keep everybody safe.

It's not fair of you to cast a negative assumption on people like me who are law-abidng, have passed a background check and training, and go out of our way to make sure we obey the law as written.

123. LYNDA.....in Mishawaka, IN

Why don't we let all the convicted felons in the country start carrying guns too.....gun are very violent and have no place in bars let alone in our homes unless they are for hunting....these people that carry guns into bars are just asking for an orange jumpsuit and leg shakles.....

124. NG

Yeah lets make sure that legal carriers of guns can't take them with them wherever they go, lets disarm them in bars and schools and every place that we can. That way we can assure that only people who carry them illegally have them everywhere they go. Fantastic! Man I am glad your guys are so smart…wowzers!!

125. Bernie of Lowell, MA

I certainly hope that guns are not allowed in bars. People who frequent bars have their mental capacity greatly impaired by alcoholic drink consumption.

Several years ago, here in Dracut. MA, , we had a barroom brawl that required perhaps several hundred police to respond.

We already have enough 'barroom brawls' without having 'barroom slaughters', too.

126. Graham

As an ex drunk, sober 20 years, I don't think so. Were the people who thought this up stoned themselves? Drunks would go from an argument to a bullet in a second. Let them stick to fists, leave their guns in the trailers.

127. MetzyMom

I want Janet back!!! She'd have laughed in the faces of those who are going to try and pass this bill!!! Guns and Alcohol? What next? REAL gun fights as entertainment???

128. Linda Haenn

Hi Jack, only if it isn't loaded.

129. clyde

Lets just do away with the dart game at these bars and just put targets up and have target practice after a few shots of vodka! Idiots...Jack these people are Idiots!!

July 2, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  130. Carlos turner oakland ca.

I agree guns&drinkers don't Mix.

131. Erlich Dorelas

is not a good idea to allow gun in bars, i think that will raise the crimes in america .
    america will become a valley of death ,cuz you see how many people who get kills by drunk drivers , it will be the same thing .
    if that happen i think will come with no excuse if some one get kill by a drunk gun man

132. RUFUS IYOHA

This will be the most insane bill ever passed. How could people who are drunk control their. emotion when they have guns on them in the bar. It will be the most disastrous bill ever passed in the state of Arizona, if the people of this state allow the bill to go through. whoever introduces this bill have started thinking backward.

July 2, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  133. Ugo Innocenti

I bet the Arizona politicians and the Governor would not dream to allow people carrying guns into the Capitol, the Senate and Assembly.

July 2, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  134. Anne Robertson

I have rights too and I will not enter a bar that permits people to carry concealed weapons on their premises.

July 2, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  135. Mike in Albany ny

The only possible reason to allow guns is bars is to lower state's costs in abuse counselling. The more guns in bars the fewer drunks that will need treatment. Of course this is stupid and any politician that voted for this is in need of serious counselling.

July 2, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  136. Reggie Canson

Red Necks wont be satified untill they can have guns in holster around thier waist just like the wild west gun slingers. Then they could go into a bar and get into a bar fight with another drunk and shoot them. This law goes to show you what hapens when you let gun toting "George Bush" crowd write laws. We need some GROWN-UP Judges that are willing to say NO to the abserdity!

July 2, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  137. Michael in Albuquerque, NM

You mean there was I time when we weren't supposed to have guns in bars? I prefer bars frequented by bikers. I always just assumed...
    The concealed carry provision requires that that the guns be liscensed and registered, and that the gun owners are trained in the responsibility of gun use. Requiring that the guns are concealed also lessens the possibility of intimidation and other problems related to the guns being visible. I don't have a problem with guns. I have a problem with drunken drivers, and patrons that have been overserved.
    Those guys kill far more innnocents than handguns.

July 2, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  138. Dorinda

This is such a bad idea on so many different levels. If you had to leave it up to someone's "common sense" as to when to use a gun, well, I think we know that common sense as we once knew it has gone by the wayside – it is a RARE commodity today! If there were an abundance of it, well no one would shoot first and think about it later and our prisons would be empty. I live in Arizona – a state I already consider to be the wild, wild west - and this bill would make it far worse than it already is.

July 2, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  139. GJ in Phoenix

Don't even get me started on this, Jack! I live in Phoenix and the AZ state legislature has simply gone mad. Our state does NOT currently have an approved budget (deadline was Midnight on the 1st), but they were able to spend time on debating and passing this bogus legislation. Enforcement of this law will be difficult at best, if not impossible, but they don't seem to care. It's all about "personal freedoms" and whatever other excuses they choose for this mistake. The days of the Wild Wild West are long gone and should stay that way!

July 2, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  140. greg

Dear Jack thelaw charges people for DUI what will the law charge the people who carry consealed weapon inside a bar and mistankly fires a shot when they are drunk! It is now one of those stupid laws our representatives pass when they go on break and have a glass of wine to go.Greg, Baltimore

July 2, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  141. Dago Sanchez

I think this is nut! This reminds me of places like the Dominican Republic, where I originally come from. There, the life of a patron costs less than a cuba libre. What is going on? There is a legal limit for drinking, but anybody with a weapon can walk into a bar as if the US was Iraq. This is pretty dangerous and I am seriously losing respect for a country that I admire so much.

Dago
    Ontario, Canada

July 2, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  142. DJames

The criminal elements in "the wild west" never stopped carrying guns into bars. They did it without consent and without a permit. This law just levels the playing field. You lily livers in the East might chose to be targets for practice but out west the targets shoot back.

July 2, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  143. Carl

Jack, What are you worred about. Next the x-ray glasses so you can see the guns.

Carl

July 2, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  144. Linda

Seriously, this is such a no-brainer! I live in the beautiful state of Arizona, have lived here all my life, but I'm wondering what the leaders are thinking. So, let me get this straight: you can carry a concealed weapon into a bar, but don't serve him/her drinks! Ok, that's great, but how in the world would the bartender know?! It's concealed!! The potential is there for some horrible outcomes. Just because other states have this law in place, doesn't mean AZ needs it too.

July 2, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  145. MixMaster Suave--Chicago

Jack, i am a Dj in Chicago and if i knew people had concealed guns in the club i would be a little worried. I have seen fist fights breakout on the dance floor, i definitely would not want to be there if a GUN FIGHT breaks out. TERRIBLE IDEA.

-MixMaster Suave–Chicago, Illinois

July 2, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  146. Dillon, durham NC

Without any reasonable way to confirm who does or does not possess a concealed handgun when you enter a bar, this law simply lacks common sense. Can all the bars in Arizona really afford to install metal detectors to enforce this state law, or is this just another expansion of gun rights masquerading behind the excuse of "crime is everywhere"?

July 2, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  147. Betty Henry from Abilene, TX

Dear Jack, I don't believe in having guns in my house let alone carrying one around with me in a bar. My philosophy is this: Put your faith and trust in the Man above to protect you not in your gun.

July 2, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  148. Bradley from NJ

Absolutely NOT a good idea. Who would go to a bar just to sit around with a gun. Drinkers usually go to bars/clubs

July 2, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  149. Gail Carnevale

Guns in bars, are they crazy in Arizona. I guess the legislators in Arizona have never seen a mean or crazy drunk. Well I have and putting a gun that person's hand is nuts! They talk about the drugs Michael Jackson was doing. I think the legislators in Arizona must be doing some drugs. Gail from NJ

July 2, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  150. carrie

Guns in bars? Sure, why not just serve up some bullets with those shots of whiskey too? (no pun intended) Just be sure to publish which bars are 'buying' into this ridiculous practice so I can stay clear of them!

July 2, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  151. Richard

Why not? Both vices compliment each other. Another evidence that gun right advocates lack common sense.

July 2, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  152. Seth McDermott (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada)

Why would anyone support this bill? Giving a gun to a drunk guy is more insane than circus performers sticking their heads in lions' mouths; at least the lions are trained. I have no idea why Americans are so obsessed with guns and "protecting themselves." We never carry firearms with us here, and look how low our crime rate is.

July 2, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  153. lynne from NC

Guns in bars? Does anyone remember Wild Bill Hickok?

July 2, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  154. Gary Giss

I live in Arizona and have a concealed weapons permit. Let me explain to you why it DOES make sense to allow this this new law. First and foremost this really only makes sense when you apply the law to law abiding citizens, as criminals will do what they want, when they want to, despite the laws (e.g. felons carrying weapons illegally, people concealing a weapon without a permit, etc.). So, when applying this law to law abiding people – here is why it makes sense: Law abiding citizens would previously have to leave their gun in the car if going into any restaurant serving alcohol, or a bar (many "bars" are also restaurants and hangouts to watch sports). This allows criminals the access to steal these guns from unattended vehicles very easily and then use them to commit violent crimes, untraced. Not good! Next, it will be illegal to drink and have the legally concealed gun. You asked on air how will the establishment "knows" who has one and who does not? It is not their job to do so. That is up to police, who enforce the laws. In general, if someone wants to break the law, they will do so. Those dumb enough to do so will be in serious trouble (firearms related charges are a serious issue). Again, with or without the law – bad people will do what they wish, regardless (that's why they are considered the "bad guys". The gross majority of people, however, DO follow the law, so this law gives them the ability to protect themselves, and more importantly protect their weapon (and society) from them being stolen while left unattended in vehicles while they go out to eat. That's about it Cafferty. Do you think before this law "bad guys" were paying any attention? Only the "good guys" follow the laws. The "bad guys" always see them as optional. Don't disarm the "good guys" or the "bad guys" will definitely be at an advantage. Food for though....

July 2, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  155. Larry Hobson

I've lived in Phoenix for six years now. This isn't the Valley of the Sun; it's the Valley of the Gun. The great amount of gun violence here, and the obsession with gun ownership, is shocking to this former New Yorker. It makes the South Bronx of the 1970s seem like the Peaceable Kingdom. However, we have great winter weather. Drive by sometime.

July 2, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  156. James in Arizona

What stops a person from bring a conceled weapon in a bar now it they want too? Or a school, or anywhere else. Nothing. Bad people will do bad thinkgs. At least law abiding citizens will be armed when they show up and start shooting.

July 2, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  157. Gary W

In some bars, shooting pool and alcohol don't mix, in others bad romantic relationships and booze don't mix, same is true of financial problems and alcohol. Let's put them all together in a recession.

Hell, let's throw guns into the mix to create some excitement!

July 2, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  158. Malissa

How bad is it there that you have to bring a gun to a bar to protect yourself? How about focusing on NOT having guns in the bar .. so you can feel safe! Thats just crazy!

July 2, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  159. Jo-Ann

Jack,
    What a lame brained idea to allow guns in bars. Leave it to the NRA to support 2nd amendment rights at all costs, personal safety and common sense be damned. Any child can tell you that guns and alcohol are a dangerous combination. The Arizona lawmakers who are considering this law should be ashamed of themselves.

July 2, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  160. patricia in toronto canada

Good idea? NOT!

This is another example of the kind of backwards thinking that only leads to trouble.

What's next? Gun-toting @ the grocery store? the baseball game? the bank???

ps Arizona state senate passed this law.
    Arizona, isn't that where Sen. McCain's from?
    Sort of makes you go... Hmmm...

July 2, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  161. Bernie from Tarpon Springs, FL

Guns and alcohol in bars...what could possibly go wrong?

July 2, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  162. Pitabeta

This question is like asking if it's a good idea to allow kids to have guns in schools. My question is what's worse: children and guns or drunk adults and guns?

July 2, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  163. Don Dolin

I think the only reason you should be allowed to have a gun in the bar, is if you are going to do competition shooting at the empty alcohol bottles. This would be taking recycling to a much more responsible level. Because that way the recycling plants would have smaller pieces of glass to have to melt down, that saves energy, and everyone needs to start conserving energy these days!

July 2, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  164. john

as long as the people carring weapons are not charged with a felony or serious misdemeanor, and are trained shooters. i would feel very safe with them armed. open or concealed carry gives the bad guys a secound thought of who to overpower and rob. i personaly have saved my self from harm by the mere sight of my weapon. i do not wish to harm anyone, but crime will drop if we are allowed open or concealed carry under the right guidelines. john.

July 2, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  165. Christine in Toronto, Canada

“You’d better get rid of that gun, unless you haven’t got the guts, and if you don’t, you’d better hang on to it!” Karl Malden as Father Barry in ‘On the Waterfront’ (1954) R.I.P. K.Malden
    Are they serious in Arizona? What a fallacy!

July 2, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  166. Lee

Jack,

Quite simply, guns in bars, no! However, if it were allowed in Arizona or any other state I would say that from personal experience as a concealed weapons permit holder myself these people are some of the most responsible individuals that I've ever met. And also if it is allowed those individuals need to have certain restrictions such as not drinking in a designated driver role or something of that nature. Now I will say this also once again that guns don't belong in bars especially now a days as also from personal experience there are a lot more idiotic individuals who think there ten feet tall and bullet proof in bars now than I've ever seen in my adult life, even a difference from 10 years ago. However, I think that restaurant chains that serve alcohol and their primary source of income is food and primary purpose is food then yes I believe they should be allowed to carry concealed weapons into these establishments as those individuals typically will not be by theirselves but with their family which for anyone will bring a heightened state of awareness.

July 2, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  167. Keith, San Francisco

It's a great idea Jack. And it's supported by a Brewer no less. Next we should allow guns in churches, schools and newsrooms. You never know where Al Qaeda will rear its ugly head and cause a real threat to our safety.

July 2, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  168. Mark Manz

Jack,

Sure Great Idea, Lets also hand guns to anyone that crosses the borders and maybe to kids in grade school.

You have to wonder whats wrong with the world when an issue as stupid as this is ever a topic.

Mark M
    San Francisco Ca

July 2, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  169. Paul

Well Jack I think guns are a big problem as it is it the U.S. I live in Canada and we have tough gun control laws that seem to be working fairly well so I say this in the midst of a recession I don't think many tourist from other countries will want to visit states that allow people to carry guns in bars.Although this might be a new job being created and they could have a gun check at the door like they do with coats.

July 2, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  170. Tim in Texas

After the first person gets killed because of this moronic law will the legislators and the governor be put on trial for reckless endangerment ? Who could possibly not predict the outcome of this idiocy?

July 2, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  171. Julie in ALABAMA

Jack,
    Honestly, I complain about living in a part of the country that refuses change and progression for the most part. However, I am surprised you couldn't here me screaming "what?" from here at your last question. At this point, I claim nothing surprises me anymore but this is an incredibly insane idea. Did I here you say that Arizona would join 40 other states with similar laws? I don't frequent bars and really never have but posting such states and the version of the laws that allow people to enter bars with a gun needs to be available to the public. What on Earth are these law makers thinking? or Are they thinking at all?
    P.S. What state was announced to have passed a law banning a national health care option? Wasn't that Arizona? If so, someone needs to check the water in the state house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 2, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  172. Sly, Michigan

No Jack, It's a very dumb idea. I have a license to carry a gun, and you would "Never" see me in a bar, they get rob too many times, and you would never know who the bad guys are, because their could be more than one or two perpetrators in that bar.

July 2, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  173. Monica

Of course guns shouldn't be allowed in bars. I can't believe this was even approved. You won't be seeing this Canadian anywhere near Arizona if they allow this.

July 2, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  174. Mike Stone

My Dear Jack:

After pondering your hint...... I'll go with allowing tools to defend yourself in a entitled society. Uneducated and aggressive members of today's "liberated society" continue to proliferate tools at their disposal to hurt, steal from or even kill you and I. Allowing responsible citizens to even playing field is the right thing to do,

Mike Stone
    Hollywood, Florida

July 2, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  175. Scott Stodden

Jack this should be a public outcry not just from the people of Arizona but people from all over the country. Who would think of coming up with a bill like this, dont these Republicans know how to lead and govern the correct way? Governer Jan Brewer if your watching and or reading this if you sign this bill into law then you should be impeached and barred from holding public office ever again, your allowing people to mix two of the worst things together alchol and guns stupid. And Jack where is Senator McCain he should be involved cuz I would love to know his position, Shocking just Schocking

Scott Stodden (Freeport,IL)

July 2, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  176. Lisa Crowe

.i would like to see one media person admit that the second amendment is in place to " protect we the people from a corrupt goverment"...and to answer the question Yes, i belive we should be able to protect ourselves in any and all enviroments.

July 2, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  177. Vicki, FL

Jack, I think its just fine for AZ to allow drinking and drilling – as long as Maricopa County orders a lot more pink undies and the law doesn't escape across their state lines.

July 2, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  178. William

Jack, I support Arizona's decision. If I take my wife and kids out to dinner at an establishment that serves alcohol and heaven forbid a criminal enter the place, as an armed civilian I have the right to protect my family and the public. I don't condone drinking and carrying a gun, afterall I had to take a class, prove myself at a range, and purchase the concealed permit, therefore I will abide by the laws...but we have to protect ourselves from those who don't.

William
    Cary, NC

July 2, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  179. Ray from Md

Guns in National Parks, Guns in Bars! When I was young the NRA had leadership that had their heads screwed on straight. Now there is more vacuum between their ears than responsible self serving leadership. I wonder how much the weapons industry pumps into keeping the NRA afloat.

July 2, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  180. Ramiro

Absolutely not. As many outrageous things can happen in a bar, what happens when somehow a drunk individual gets their hands on a gun whether it be through a bar fight, the sober driver who is a friend and is carrying one, etc. What then? How are the Arizona lawmakers going to explain that one, especially to the families of those gunned down.

Ramiro

West Bend, WI

July 2, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  181. James Otter

Re Guns in bars:

The Republican-dominated state of Tennessee allows guns in bars. So, Jack, it must be right that guns be allowed in bars. Anywhere.

Jim
    Crossville TN

July 2, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  182. clyde from Houston Tx

We tend to forget that alcohol is a drug! Drugs take you out of your normal mindstate...hence the inability to drink and drive! So why make it ok to drink and shoot!!WOW....idiots...i'm so positive that this bill will cause someone their life, that I vow never to enter an establishment that makes this bill legal.

July 2, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  183. Mary

I do not frequent bars, but if I did, I would like to have a way to defend myself. That said, you can twist the news to suit yourself or you can show both sides of the story. You ask the opinion of your viewers, then tell them how to answer. How arrogant! Shame on you!

Arizona's gun laws reflect the American spirit of freedom. I know that seems to be out of vogue in the left wing media, however, true Americans still exist. Get over yourself!

July 2, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  184. Swaine

Alcohol + courage + poor judgement (because of the alcohol) = trouble!

Enough Said!!

July 2, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  185. Jim Fuller

It's insane. I ran a bar for thirty years. Most of that time it was a felony in Tennessee to carry a gun in a bar. Still we encountered several instances involving patrons threatening others with a weapon. We were lucky no one was ever injured. It's not just the combination of alcohol and guns, it's the highly charged atmosphere of that evironment ie music, relationships, ex wives, ex girlfriends etc. In Tennessee the Governor vetoed the bill, however, his veto was overidden. I think it's just a matter of time until this situation has a tragic ending.

Jim ... Tullahoma, Tennessee

July 2, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  186. Ellen

Guns and Alcohol don't mix. I won't be going into an Arizona bar and asking for a shot.

July 2, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  187. John

They let nitwits in congress – why not guns in bars

July 2, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  188. Alice Patton-King

It is totally insane. I only need to remember my former drinking days. I can guarantee I would have killed someone, or myself...... not intentionally...but very drunkenly! I'm so very grateful guns weren't allowed.

July 2, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  189. John Gray

Michigan allows concealed carry in bars, if 50% of sales are food. You can not drink and carry, however, no matter where you are. Having "Carry Free Zones" are a criminals best friend. They know where you shouln't be armed, and can plan attacks, accordingly. Lawfull citizens who can obtain a concealed carry permit, should be able to carry anywhere they please. Why give criminals an advantage, by having carry free zones?

July 2, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  190. George H. Foster

Florida has allowed people to eat and drink in restrurants since 1987 while carrying concealed. It has not been an issue for the 575,000 people who have permits in Florida, or the millions of people who come to Florida from the 32 states that have receprocity for their permits. By the way, if you were one of the 2900 Chosen in NYC, you could pack and drink at the bar....

July 2, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  191. Allen

Are you nuts? Booze and guns together? Why not just hand out lethal doses of Vicodin to patrons of Arizona bars? This way, innocent bystanders won't get killed when some drunken NRA gun nut goes crazy (after watching some exaggerated fear story on Fox New) and decides to attack people who aren’t as patriotic as Sarah Palin...

July 2, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  192. Swaine

Alcohol + courage + poor judgement (because of the alcohol) = trouble!

Enough Said!!

McDonough, Georgia

July 2, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  193. Rhonda Williamson-Okon

Let me think about it for a second, UH...NO. Is there a group photo of these so called lawmakers? I'm going to Arizona in few days and I need to know who I should watch out for and stay clear of. They're dangerous.

Rhonda
    Newark, New Jersey

July 2, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  194. greg

Allowing firearms in a bar is a completely asinine idea, hopefully AZ courts will have the good sense to invalidate such a stupid law should it be signed into law.

July 2, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  195. Ron Foster

John you obviously are not a gun person and therefore I forgive you for your stance on this issue. I am a conceal permit holder in South Carolina. I had to take an 8 hour class on the law and qualify on the gun range with my weapon and I also had a detailed background check. No convicted criminal would try to get a permit. The law states that if I am drunk and carrying my firearm it is a 5 year/ $5000.00 fine and the loss of my right to carry. I am sure that in Arizona it is the same or a stricter punishment if you break the law. What they are really trying to do in Arizona is pass this law so if a citizen went to a restaurant with loved ones, under the current law he could not carry because they serve alcohol in the establishment. If they change the law he would be allowed to protect his family on a night out on the town. That said he could not drink any alcohol.

Ron Foster
    Mount Pleasant, SC

July 2, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  196. David

I've been carrying a firearm on my person for about a decade now. I'm a veteran of armed combat, taken firearms classes and I shoot regularly.

Carrying a firearm is an enormous responsibility.

Drinking or the temptation thereof should not be introduced to even those, like myself and so many others that follow the law of the land by allowing them/us to carry firearms in bars.

Conversely, if this legislation does pass you can count on knowing who may have a firearm at the bar because they're law abiding and will therefore be the only ones not drinking at the bar.

July 2, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  197. Omar J. Sharrieff

It's a good idea if population control is your motivation...What's next, gun ranges in our high schools???

Omar
    Clermont, Fl

July 2, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  198. David P. Vernon

Tucson, AZ – The question does not reflect the facts. Arizona allows any person not barred by law from owning a handgun at all to carry it openly in public and have it holstered in their car. Concealed carry is a permission granted by local law enforcement in Arizona only to applicants who pay a fee, pass a deep background check, and demonstrate proficiency in gun law and safety by taking and passing an approved course at an approved institution. There is no example, ever, of a permit carry holder using a gun to commit a crime. Carry permit holders are, in the strictest sense, the "well regulated militia" which the Founders relied on to be the first line of defense against crime and tyranny under the Constitution. The new law allows those carry permit holders to bring their arms with them into a bar, if they do not then drink there. Carry permit holders obey the law – they have to prove that to get the permit in the first place. On the specifics, for this law in this place, the additional risk of allowing these particular people to do this particular thing is is less than the risk of a nut case illegally shooting up a bar and nobody there being able to stop them. The new law does not change the fact that permit-free open carry is not allowed in places where alcohol is sold and drunk (nor in government buildings, schools, and any place the management says "no.")

July 2, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  199. arlie

How do you think, "Give me a SHOT and BEER" slang originated?
    Prospect Heights, Illinois

July 2, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  200. Anne in MS

I have rights too and I will not enter a bar that lets people carry concealed weapons in their establishment.

July 2, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  201. Ben

After reading your book and learning more about your so-far life travels, this question became obvious to me that you gave your "hint" a lot of thought. I endorse your decision completely.

July 2, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  202. N. H. Driscoll

Why not allow guns in bars? And also firecrackers? Knife-throwing contests? Bombing demos? Crossbows? Inmates of insane and criminal detention centers? Indeed–just WHY NOT?

July 2, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  203. Carrie

Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Absolutely not!

July 2, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  204. Miguel E. from San Leandro, CA

You mean it's illegal???!!! Well it does elevate the party atmosphere. First comes the drunken encounter, then the evil looks and threats, then the fight which is broken up and you used to have to go out to your car and get the gun and then come in a put a cap in the guy. This just saves going out to the car. It’s a time saver

July 2, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  205. Brian Freeman

Of course not, Jack! This is a underhanded, shameful, and almost criminal reaction to the perceived threat of the Obama administration toughening gun control laws. The representatives who are supposed to use their position to protect the citizens they represent are consciously aiding in the violence and crime already ever-present in this country. Why? Because of their individual fears of not being able to kill anyone they have a disagreement with or perceived to be a threat in the guise of "defending themselves." It shows the drastic measures those with the power will take to retain the control and power that comes along with it.
    Louisville, KY

July 2, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  206. Bonnie Richard

I can't believe that such a thing is even considered. Sounds like the wild, wild west to me. No, guns should not be allowed in bars. Guns should not be allowed period.......

July 2, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  207. Robert Martin

Guns in bars makes about as much sense as carrying loaded assault weapons in National Parks. I wonder which will come first. A shooting death in a bar or in a National Park? Perhaps we should start a poll.

July 2, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  208. Dawn

I have been an advocate of tougher gun laws through my entire adult life, but last week I took a class to carry a concealed handgun. I realize the immense leap it may take the public to believe guns in the hands of good honest citizens like myself and my husband is a good idea, but when you know your livelihood may put your safety in jeopardy, then you take that leap. Having a gun will not change my character or my self-control. To quote the handbook, "When you are armed you must realize that you just lost your right to initiate any type of confrontation that could possibly escalate into a violent encounter. You just lost the right to flip off the motorist who cut you off. You have to ignore the scumbag who just "wolf whistled" your girlfriend. If someone wants to pick a fight with you, you lost the right to respond in any way other than a kind, friendly manner while walking away. As an armed person you must be more likely and willing to avoid trouble than an unarmed person would be. You have the legal and moral obligation of de-escalating any situation that you are presented with unless you are faced by someone displaying the intention, ability and opportunity to attack you and cause lethal harm."

July 2, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  209. George DeLong

I currently hold permits from two separate states, combined allowing me to carry a concealed weapon in all but 16 states. I believe you should be allowed to carry concealed with in an establishment that serves alcohol. Don’t let the word BAR confuse this issue. The law states you may not carry inside ANY establishment that serves alcohol. I find myself stuck leaving my weapon in the car when I take the family out for dinner. Most all restaurants do serve alcohol. If there is a hostel/postal situation will my waiters come to my family’s defense? I think not!

July 2, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  210. Joe in AZ

I live in AZ and as a law-abiding citizen with a pending Concealed Carry Permit application filed I think it is a good idea. There are laws that are supposed to prevent drunk driving. This still doesn't stop fools from getting drunk, getting in their cars and killing people. If CCW licensed folks carried and did not drink (as the law requires), they would be the same as the designated driver who does not drink. Please note that the law applies to people who have taken the trouble to get a concealed carry permit, which in AZ involves 8 hours of classroom instruction on gun safety etc, and qualification with a handgun at a range. These are law-abiding citizens. The people everyone has to worry about are the ones who illegally carry concealed in the first place and already carry in the bars. A restaurant or bar can post a notice that no guns are allowed in the establishment and the people who carry legally will leave their firearms home or otherwise secure them in a safe and legal fashion. The criminals will continue to carry regardless.

July 2, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  211. Fred Uebelhoer

Does this question really warrant debate? A five year old can see the logic of preventing impaired people from having ready access to loaded firearms. It is the same rationale that keeps baseball stadiums from hosting "Handgun and Hard Liquor Nights."

I have absolutely no problem with responsible, sane, sober individuals from owning firearms, however I wonder how long are we going to allow the NRA, which obviously takes advantage of some folks who suffer from severe feelings of inadequacy, to influence American society in such a negative fashion, and to push such legislation through via political contributions and other arm twisting in Washington.

Congress, PLEASE, grow a spine.

July 2, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  212. Bob - Ohio

It's a great idea, as long as there is a police station on one side of the building and an undertaker on the other side.

July 2, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  213. Greg

An idea so stupid, only a Republican could think of it.

July 2, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  214. Marriam

I think this is the stupidest thing i have ever heard. Why would anyone want to make it legal for guns to be in bars, I mean come on haven't they heard of bar fights. What if one of the guys are drunk and decides to act tuff and pulls a gun out and shoots the other. Wow im 16 and even i know that it is common sense not to make this a law, GUNS ARE DANGEROUS!!!

July 2, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  215. William

Jack, the laws are clear that you can't carry a gun and drink alcohol. I bet all those people who are opposed to the idea would be thankful if a sober patron saved their life.

William
    Cary, NC

July 2, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  216. Clam Bias

Why does the NRA have our politicians so prepared to ignore the insane murder rate that exists in this gun-crazy culture?

July 2, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  217. Carolyn Beshara Young

Absolutely horrible idea. Would YOU feel safe if walked into a bar and you saw someone with a gun? I think not, young man. How do bar owners and bartenders feel about this? Bet they're against it.

July 2, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  218. A.H., Manchester NH

Well, Jack, if they're going to allow guns in bars why should they stop there? Why not allow rocket-propelled grenades, blazing torches and malatov cocktails. How about once you enter the bar, you get your own personal bomb vest with a motion-activiated trigger. One false move, like picking up a chair to throw it at the guy coming at you with a pool cue and blam! No one would have to call 911 because the blaze could be seen for miles–and if somebody is idiot enough to try to rob the place, throw him a bomb vest–If you're going to be nihilistic, why not go out in a blaze of glory instead of suffering the long, slow decline of alcohol and tobacco.

July 2, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  219. Adale Smith

I think that if you were responsible enough to obtain a concealed weapon permit you should be allowed to carry your weapon anywhere. Right now anyone who wanted to take a weapon into a bar could do so very easily already. How many people have been shot in a bar to date by a person carrying a concealed weapon that had a concealed weapon permit? All of these laws that they are coming up with is not doing anything to curtail criminal activities. They are all designed to hurt the law abiding citizens. How many criminals were caught and later it was found out that they had a concealed weapon permit?

July 2, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  220. doofus

I thought there was more to this bill than just allowing concealed guns into bars. Also, if I understand correctly, the proprietor still reserves the right to NOT allow guns on their property, but they have to post a sign. It's not a given anymore. Also, I was under the impression this bill meant if the facility didn't sell anything the concealed carry would be allowed, no matter what, and that this applied to Government buildings. So yes, courthouses apply because they are Government buildings that do not sell anything...

July 2, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  221. Angela

Jack,

The idea is just as good as standing in water and using electricity.
    The brilliance of these lawmakers is staggering...*side eye*

July 2, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  222. CanadianAce

I own many guns and shoot several times a week, and am very pro gun. But under no circumstances should guns be allowed in bars! I would never goto a bar where they were allowed.

People make poor choices all the time under the influence of alcohol. Putting a gun in someone's hand in such a condition is akin to allowing them to drive drunk! Sure they may not kill someone, but you are sure increasing the risk.

Most people can shoot a target they are aiming for while sober. A drunk shooter will just end up killing a bunch of innocent bystanders. Just like drunk drivers do everyday.

July 2, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  223. KB - Dallas

Classic gun nut legislation. The media covers them like they are as rational as everyone else who has the good sense to know that arming drunks is a recipe for disaster.

Glad that you asked the obvious question Jack.

July 2, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  224. alexandria

A concealed carry permit is not easy to get. If you pass the background check and are issued a permit you should be able to carry your weapon anywhere.

July 2, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  225. Michael Hsu

Guns are a great idea – in bars, in cars, everywhere. If you're not a criminal, then you need not fear guns. It's the liberals (and their associated criminal domestic partners) who are truly afraid of guns – because they know in their mind that they are guilty of something.

July 2, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  226. Phil

What idiots are nostalgic for wild west saloon gunfights? Damn, does this country have the propensity to lerch backwards. What's next, flat-earthers? Oh yeah, they are now called those who think climate change is a myth . . .

July 2, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  227. Albert Colone

The US is ranked 97 in the World in public safety. Jesus, guns are working. Guns in bars; priceless!

July 2, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  228. Randall Whitney

I am a concealead handgun license holder here in the state of Oregon. We have very loose laws pertaining to where one may or may not carry in the state, provided this person has a license. With my license, I am permitted to carry anywhere in the state with the exception of courtrooms and federally operated buildings, such as a post office or federal building. This means I can, and DO carry everywhere else. I can carry in a school, on a college campus, in a bay (I frequently do) or even in my state capitol building.

We have seen virtually ZERO incidents involving people with a concealed handgun license here in the state of Oregon. People who go through the proper steps and background checks have flawless records, and are upstanding and law abiding citizens. These people practice good judgement, and would want to do nothing to jeopardize their ability to carry concealed.

It's the people who don't go through the process of obtaining a permit, who in turn, don't care about whether or not you can carry in a bar (they will anyway) that you have to worry about.

July 2, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  229. Jim

Jack, I am relieved that the NRA is "just using common sense" , although common sense seems absent when people get angry. Oh well the shootings will be well thought out and reflect good judement, espcally in Bars. what a giant leap forward!
    Jim Los Angeles

July 2, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  230. Brenda

Guns & alcohol DON'T mix! Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

July 2, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  231. Michael Hunt

...as about as good an idea as allowing them in schools!

July 2, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  232. Kathy

Are you kidding? How paranoid can you be? I was in a bar once when a well-respected cop came in drunk waving his gun around threatening to kill someone. It was terrifying. Now, if someone else in the bar had had a gun,the drunk probably would have been shot and maybe killed. As it turned out, the bartender and a couple of other guys talked him down and he was so horrified by what he had done that he went into AA. If some boneheaded vigilante had taken it upon himself to "save" us,it would have been nothing but a tragedy, but the bonehead would have thought he was a brave hero. No, no guns in bars. I want to know what weapons the people around me are carrying so I can protect myself by LEAVING.

July 2, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  233. Allen

I don't see that it will change a lot. It is still illegal to drink while carrying the firearm, just as it is illegal to drink and drive. Either way, if the person is irresponsible and breaks the law, someone could die. Even if the firearms are kept out of the bar proper, is that really going to stop someone from going out to the car, retrieving the firearm, and returning?

July 2, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  234. Richard James

Many years ago, in my youth, I once stepped between two arguing guys in a bar and stopped a fight about to break out as fists were raised. Only later did I find out that one of the two parties was packing a gun in his back pocket. After my intervention, he left. The bar owner, bartender, and patrons all praised me for my (unwitting) courage. Needless to say, if I had known there was a gun involved, I would not have been so brave! No, I do not think guns should be allowed in bars: from personal experience.

July 2, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  235. james in anaheim california

If they allow guns in bars the nextt hing will be guns in airports,restaurants,shopping malls and grocery stores. There is a reason that there is law inforcement and that is to protect the people. Please Arizona, think before making this decision,let Sheriff Joe protect you.

July 2, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  236. Jelani

A trend is on the rise. First, it was the church minister who invited his members to come to church with guns and now it is a bar. These ideas don't make any sense, but since this may prompt the proponents to carry guns anyway, I have an idea. Let's move the bar close to that church and provide both groups with guns.Arrange a meeting sunday morning and the topics should be about the evils of drinking and religious extremesim. Preferably, after an all night drinking by the bar group. See what happens

Jelani
    Toronto,canada

July 2, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  237. PAT California

BAD IDEA!!!!! They do enough harm with fists, chairs, and anything else they can use! Let's not make it easier for them!!

July 2, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  238. Andy

If the Governor signs that bill into law and something bad happens she'll lose her job next term. Don't be a fool in this depressed economy, veto the bill and keep your job. I'm sure she's under a lot of pressure about this or she'd be a fool not to.

July 2, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  239. Justin

If the law remains the way it is, you're *guaranteed* that the only people who carry guns into the bars are those that are willing to break the law! Crazy, but true.

July 2, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  240. Joel from MD

Alcohol impairs your judgment, plain and simple. While it's true that a bar is one place where an altercation might escalate to a level where there is a legitimate need for a gun, it's also true that alcohol could cause certain situations to be misperceived entirely and rash decisions to be made.

I can say for sure that if the Governor does not veto this bill, I won't be inclined to go to an Arizona bar if I'm ever there.

July 2, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  241. Tom

It hasn't seemed to make much difference in the other 40 states that already allow this. If it was going to be a big problem, I'd expect that we'd have seen issues with shootings in the rest of the country. Why focus on Arizona, the 41st state to allow this? Why not discuss the total lack of incidents in the first 40?

July 2, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  242. mike m

As a general rule, anyone that is going to start shooting people does not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon. The people that take the time and effort, and can pass the security checks to get the permit, are the people you want to be armed when a bad guy starts shooting innocent people.

July 2, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  243. Joe in AZ

Oh yeah, my final point. The bill stipulates that the establishment must be a restaurant the also serves alcohol, not a bar that does not have a kitchen and food served from that kitchen. If someone legally carries concealed all day, every day and decides to have lunch or dinner in a restaurant that serves alcohol, this bill alllows them to enter the establishment and eat, as long as he does not drink. what's wrong with that?

July 2, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  244. Levi

If they're going to allow guns back in bars, they may as well let us smoke in bars again, as I see smoking cigarettes in a bar to be far less dangerous than a drunk with a pistol.

July 2, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  245. Archie from Arkansas

I'm 54 and a musician. I've played in bars and clubs all of my life. I really can't imagine how many people would have been killed in those places had guns been the norm rather than the exception.

July 2, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  246. Kevin

I worked security and noticed that the more we took weapons away from people the more violent things got on the inside of the club. When everyone knows anyone could be packing, it's amazing how cordial the general public can get.

July 2, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  247. Lee

Oh C'mon Jack Your making it sound like there's going to be a shootout in Miss Kitty's Saloon on Gunsmoke, every night. I have a concealed carry permit, I took the 8 hr class, got a FBI background check, Had a Mental background check and paid my fee for a Permit. Concealed Carry Weapon permit holders are the most responsible gun owners in the country. No one knows if I have a Handgun unless they are puting me in a Life-threating situation. I don't drink when I carry my gun, Why would I risk all the time and money for my Permit? Every law abiding gun owner should get there conceal carry permit then a bad guy might think twice when attacking someone.
    Lee
    North Carolina

July 2, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  248. rICHARD cASTELL

jACK,

I don't see much difference either way. People who tend to defy laws will carry whether it;s legal or not, and, the only way you know a person is carrying is if they use it. If they use it the fact that ut was illegal seems irrelevant, on the other hand if the NRA is in favor of something I 'm worried

July 2, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  249. R Fischer

People who have concealed carry permits have undergone training and extensive background checks prior to being issued a concealed carry permit. We value and appreciate the right to carry concealed and are the least likely to jepordize the right by drinking while carrying concealed.

This is not unlike people who drive and drink – there will unfortunately be exceptions to every thing – however, those of us who obey the rules are not willing to give up our rights because of the few who haven't learned to play by the rules.

July 2, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  250. drinjane

I see no reason for adults that have already passed the background checks and investigations from being prohibited from carrying a concealed gun in a place serving alcohol. It is generally recognized that a person who has accepted the responsibility for carrying a gun has also accepted the responsibility for acting in a sensible manner, i.e. not picking a fight, avoiding confrontations unless that becomes unworkable, and generally (if in a state where it is allowed) drinking less or nothing at all. This can provide the additional advantage to a group out for the evening of an unimpaired designated driver.

July 2, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  251. alex

is it a good idea to play in traffic on the interstate during rush hour? that is just an accident waiting to happen.

July 2, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  252. Los Lobos

Let's put it this way, Jack; I live in Tucson, AZ, and frequent the many, many bars in town. If this law passes, you won't see me out much anymore!

July 2, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  253. Carolyn

No it's a terrible idea and Arizona has a terrible Republican led legislature who has been paid off by the NRA. Now establishments serving alcohol will need to post a sign telling people not to bring in guns instead of the other way around. This legislature has also changed violating the concealed weapons permit law to a misdemeanor from a felony. So out of touch is this legislature they are in a fight with the Republican Governor over the budget with such distain and hate it is disturbing. No taxes, no government and guns galore. That is their solution to prosperity.

July 2, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  254. Carrie

To Earl Lauderback, Atlanta....

I live in Atlanta and have NEVER heard of concealed guns being allowed in bars????????

July 2, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  255. T-bird in Mesa, AZ

The next time a guy tries to pick me up at a bar, I'll be quick to ask him "Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" Great ice breaker!!

NOT!! Very bad idea Arizona!!

July 2, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  256. tr

So much for the weekend visits with friends bar hopping in Tempe...Las Vegas here we come.

July 2, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  257. MJ from Lincoln, NE

I don't see it as a matter of "allowing guns into bars" as much as controlling who has the right to have concealed weapons. Guns go into bars all the time, by criminals who don't give a hoot about the law.

If a person has a permit to carry a concealed weapon, hopefully they have gone through appropriate training – which should prevent them from using that gun in the bars.

If you disallow guns in bars in a state where you allow concealed carry, the only thing you do is force people to hide their guns better. Do we want a parking lot full of cars with loaded weapons in them (even if they are locked) outside a bar? Or is it better to have someone with the knowledge and skill to handle the weapon to keep it concealed.

July 2, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  258. E Watson

I think its a much better idea than allowing them in church. I'm sure Dr Tiller would agree.

July 2, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  259. Nicholas

The above story is incomplete at best and deceitful at worst. Chili's serves alcohol. The Olive Garden serves alcohol. So you're telling me that merely because these restaurants serve alcohol, it should be unlawful for me to carry my legal, concealed carry weapon, as a law-abiding citizen? The story attempts to paint this new law as if it were for the alcohol-bilging late night drunk cowboy, but that is simply not the case. Without this law, almost all nice restaurants become legally gun free (notice that I say legally: those who are going to commit crimes, and break the law, aren't going to pay attention to a "no gun" policy anyways). As a law-abiding citizen, I obey those laws, but I do so at the cost of giving up a basic fundamental of freedom.

July 2, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  260. Jasmine in Germany

No, it is not a good idea. It's not what "law and order" should represent. Laws are supposed to protect people. People wouldn't need to protect themselves against criminals if the criminals didn't have access to weapons. It's time for the US to move into the 21st Century. The National Rifle Association puts money above the welfare of the American people and is partially responsible for the very high crime rate in the US.

July 2, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  261. Bob - Idaho

As with many of your questions Jack, most of the respondents check thier brain at the door. This law doesn't give people the right to drink and carry a gun, that is still illegal (as you pointed out). This only applies to people with CCW permits. Look at the facts: people with CCW permits paid a lot of money and jumped through a lot of hoops to get them, they are not going to risk losing them for a drink. I've gone to many places that serve alcohol and not had a drop. If I am a law abiding citizen with a CCW permit, why shouldn't I be allowed to carry my firearm into an establishment that serves alcohol (such as a restraunt or sports bar), as long as I don't drink? Do I lose my right to protect myself just because others around me have the opportunity to drink?

Punish those who violate the law (those who posess a firearm while drinking) and leave the rest of us alone. Just like CCW permits in general, those against them will make outrageous predictions about shootem-ups in every bar. The facts just don't match these claims.

July 2, 2009 at 5:42 pm |
  262. Larry B

If you are licensed it shouldn't matter where you carry. If you dont like it move.

July 2, 2009 at 5:42 pm |
  263. Kevin

About time, I wish Texas would do the same.. For a time the places most often robbed in my Texas neighborhood were bars. That's because the criminals know that honest citizens would obeyed the law and left the guns in their vehicles. Honest citizens with concealed handgun licenses should be allowed the carry their guns everywhere they go.

July 2, 2009 at 5:42 pm |
  264. Linda

Sherrif Joe must be putting up more tents as we speak.

July 2, 2009 at 5:42 pm |
  265. LMAO

This just too funny!

Not that I will be drinking in an Arizona bar in the future but I just can't wit for the first and subsequent shootouts.

Drunks and guns – lord luv a duck.

July 2, 2009 at 5:43 pm |