May 29th, 2009

President Obama: "You ain't seen nothing yet", should he be so confident?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Perhaps feeling proud of his accomplishments during his first four months in office, President Obama told a star-studded Hollywood crowd, "You ain't seen nothing yet."

Should President Obama be so confident about his presidency?
Should President Obama be so confident about his presidency?

At a fund-raising dinner where couples paid $30,000 a ticket, the president said he would put his first four months in office up against any prior administration since FDR.

Mr. Obama ticked off a list of some of the successes he's achieved so far including: passing the largest economic recovery package in the history of the U.S., removing the ban on funding of embryonic stem cell research, taking measures to stabilize the housing market, cracking down on predatory abuses by credit card companies and expanding the children's health insurance program. He also praised Sonia Sotomayor, his nominee for the Supreme Court.

Mr. Obama acknowledged that although his administration has made progress, there is more work to do and said we can't rest on our laurels. "It won't be easy. There will be setbacks. It will take time." He added that he's made some mistakes and guarantees he'll make more.

Meanwhile, when it comes to raising money, Barack Obama hasn't lost his fastball. The celebrity dinner, along with a concert later that evening, brought in between $3 and $4 million for the DNC.

Here’s my question to you: President Obama says "You ain't seen nothing yet" when it comes to his presidency. Should he be so confident?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Maria from Brunswick, Maryland writes:
Well, confidence and ego are prerequisites for running for president. Obama has been blessed with those characteristics. Add whip-smart, forward-thinking, charismatic, willingness to play well with others, and the realization that we cannot operate this country as in the past 10 years. Yeah, I'd bet on him.

Robert from San Francisco writes:
Jack, In order to be the leader of the free world, one has to appear confident to the point of cockiness, poised on the verge of arrogance, and be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Whether or not he actually can do these things, we'll only find out after the fact. Presidential politics is the ultimate card game – with Bush we almost lost the house. Hopefully with Obama we'll only lose a few hands!

George from Hackensack, New Jersey writes:
Jack, What we ain't seen yet is all the change Obama promised during the campaign. We're still losing jobs, still fighting two wars, still getting foreclosed on, still bailing out Wall Street, still paying too much for health care. So it's a little too early to start pouring the champagne, Mr. President.

Brendan from Phoenix writes:
Jack, If a salesman walked up to you in a department store nervous and disheartened, would you buy what he's selling? I doubt it. Obama's confidence comes from his need to sell his agenda to the American people. Obama is showing he believes in his product. The question shouldn't be how much he believes in the product, the question should be whether or not he can deliver.

Darren writes:
I would say no. Anytime in my life I stood up like the cock-on-the-walk and bragged, someone came along and knocked me off that pedestal. As president, that's a pretty tall pedestal.

Taj from Chattanooga, Tennessee writes:
You bet, Jack. Look at what he's done in 4 months and he has at least 44 more to go.

Chryssa from Boise, Idaho writes:
"Yes we can" got us here, and "You ain't seen nothing yet" will keep us moving forward.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Mark-Broward FL

I'm still waiting for all the supposed CHANGE he promised.

May 29, 2009 at 11:52 am |
  2. Doug from Indiana

I think President Obama should exhude confidence and a little bit of swagger. We want our presidents to convey strength of character and that's what confidence and swagger illustrate. That was the only appealing thing about Pres. Bush.

I don't agree with everything he's done so far, but the President has been bold and persuasive in his attempts to accomplish things and get America moving again. Time will tell whether it works of not.

May 29, 2009 at 11:52 am |
  3. Avis Stringer

I think he should exude confidence in his ability to affect change. Look what we had in Bush. A president that appeared scatter brained, inept, incompetent and just an overall blithering idiot! Confidence is contagious and goes a long way in boosting Americans morale and hope for better days ahead!

May 29, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  4. marschelle

May 29, 2009 at 11:59 am |
  5. marschelle

Yes, he should be confident. He's the leader of the country and is displaying extraordinary leadership skills. If he were indecisive, cowering, and weak; he wouldn't have been voted in office period. – Atlanta, GA

May 29, 2009 at 11:59 am |
  6. Rob of Brooklyn

why not–he's better than the other idiots we've had.

May 29, 2009 at 12:00 pm |
  7. Paul Austin, Texas

Why not Jack we had a President that did little for 8 years and always had controled statements to the press and always spoke to only a hand picked audiences. More is on the way.

May 29, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  8. J.D.

Why shouldn't he be confident? I didn't cast a vote in his direction because I thought he was a wimp. There's no room for shrinking violets in the White House and Obama is one of the strongest leaders we've had in decades.

May 29, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  9. Tom, Avon, Me, The Heart of Democracy

He'd better be confident. If this is anywhere near to the whole tamale, America is done. When President Obama hits his stride he must end two wars, give America health care comparable to other industrialized nations, arrest global warming, rid us of the curse of nuclear weapons, and create a viable economy. No shrinking violet is going to pull that off.

May 29, 2009 at 12:09 pm |
  10. Richard in Mexico

(Queretaro, Mexico)

Why shouldn't he be so confident? I am.

May 29, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  11. Donna, from Michigan

What President wasn't confident. He is our leader and he should look like he knows what direction he is taking our country. I think Persident Obama is confident about wanting to help more people become educated because he is assisting in getting rid of american jobs and sending them over seas. Maybe he wants us to be like India. Also, I think President Obama is confident about Health care, but to whose benifit. Additionally, I think President Obama is interested in turning the ecomomy around so that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. So for some his confidence is good and for others it is not.

May 29, 2009 at 12:16 pm |
  12. D - Atlanta, GA

As my Grandmother was fond of saying, "it's a poor dog that won't wag his own tail". Of course he should be confident. At the start of his presidency, critics were constantly yammering about how he was talking down the economy - too much doom and gloom. These same naysayers now think he is cocky. Pump your brakes America, slow your roll and let the man do what we elected him to do – fix our economy, restore our image abroad as a world leader and unite us once again as a country (and a fine job he is doing).

May 29, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  13. Ted

I think he has nailed it. We haven't seen anything yet – lots of promises, lots of talk, lots of money – but no results.

May 29, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  14. hlnII

Yes he should be confident. and a lot more people have confident in his presidency as well, EXCEPT hate-racsit-minded republicians....

HLNII
    Barton, Mississippi

May 29, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  15. Kevin in Dallas, TX

In his first few months in office he's managed to spend hundreds of billions of dollars with the greatest of ease, and find a way to almost certainly get a racist into the Supreme Court. Right now Obama could sell the American people dehydrated water. He can do what ever he wants to thunderous applause, and that's terrifying.

May 29, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  16. Kimberly Krautter

For twenty years I've been telling clients - don't believe your own headlines - neither the negative nor the positive ones accurately reflect where you are. Yet it almost never fails that after someone has a meteoric rise in positive press, they start to feel invinsible. Ultimately, that's the achilles heel that presages their downfall. Humility is the hallmark of long-term success. The second you get cocky - or worse, start expressing that cockiness, the world turns against you and wants to take you down. President Obama needs to be wary of such self-inflicted injury.

May 29, 2009 at 12:32 pm |
  17. Kim - Blair, NE

ABSOLUTELY! He promised change & it is already happening in a big way. I can't wait to see what is coming next.

May 29, 2009 at 12:35 pm |
  18. Lady Lou from Fayetteville, NC

Hey! I didn't think he could win and become President.

May 29, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  19. Gary of El Centro, Ca

If you aren't extremely confident in your abilities, you have no business being the POTUS. Bush was confident and very sure of himself......trouble was that he didn't have the intellect to go with it. Obama has the full package and I believe he will accomplish great things.

May 29, 2009 at 12:46 pm |
  20. penny

"You ain't seen nothing yet" is more alarming than comforting..this "need for speed" mantra should be replaced by "measure twice, cut once".

May 29, 2009 at 12:49 pm |
  21. Kim Smith, Dodge City, Kansas

Why not? The man obviously has the ability and the support to bring this fine nation back from the edge of the abyss that the Republicans were ready to throw us into. It takes confidence, not guess work, to comand a nation.

May 29, 2009 at 12:50 pm |
  22. Dennis North Carolina

May 29, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  23. Conor in Chicago

Obama needs to be careful about seeming arrogant. The fact is that much of the policy work he has done so far will likely amount to nothing although I do believe that his heart might be in the right place. Still, the road to hell is paved with good intensions so he might be wise to tone down any rhetoric that might make him seem like he’s going to be “all that” when his first term is up.

May 29, 2009 at 1:03 pm |
  24. Arlene

Jack,

Yes he should. President Bush was far more cocky. He just rapped it in different words. Isn't that how we ended up in 2 wars? Let's face it, the noise level has been coming down for the past 3 or 4 months as the stock market has rallied, peoples 401ks have started to go back up and some of those shovel ready projects are getting underway. There are orange barrels everywhere in my neighborhood now...

Arlene in Atlanta

May 29, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  25. David Alexandria, VA

"I ain't seen nothin' yet" about sums it up so far in my view - Lots of superficial acts and soaring sollioquies and no results.

And, when the cost of realizing his egalitarian vision for each and every one of us comes home to roost, he won't have nothin' left to spend.

May 29, 2009 at 1:10 pm |
  26. Don in Grand Rapids, Mi

NO, NO but he's so arrogant and concieted and from Chicago what else could he be? A 1 term loser when all of you open your eyes and see who he is

May 29, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  27. Jason, Koloa, HI

I hope he's right and doesn't fizzle out the band that sang that song, "b b b b baby you ain't seen nuthin' yet". Whatever happened to BTO, they're even more MIA than the GOP.

May 29, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  28. Chi Town

I'd say worried is a better word...

If you use Europe as a template... we are in trouble.

May 29, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  29. Paul Pettipas

If he is making that statement in regards to objectives he is going to attempt to achieve, then yes, I would hope he would be. Especially in these times of extreme uncertainty, the person at the top needs to be confident in order to fill the rest of us with any...doesn't he? You need a strong, confident captain at the helm.

Prince Edward Island, Canada

May 29, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  30. dan in Tucson AZ

Jack, It takes a leader to set the mood of a nation. Pres Obama need to have an enthusiastic attitude if he expects to change our nation.

May 29, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  31. David in San Diego

I think he is confident that he will propose ambitious undertakings (that are much needed) is a wide variety of areas. I'm not sure how confident he is that all or most will go into effect as he has proposed them. But I think he has broad support from the American people.

May 29, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  32. Marge in New Port Richey, Florida

Absolutely. When you've got the kind of confidence that he has, you're not afraid to make a move or a decision. And he's not going to let anyone bully him either. These are just a few of the things I love about him. His sense of humor and the fact that he is naturally and unconsciously totally "cool" are just icing on the cake. We are so blessed to have such an overall magnificent president.

May 29, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  33. Nuria

Actually, I have seen nothing, nothing improving my situation. If anything, things look worse. I'm trying to remain positive, but if the little guy doesn't start getting some relief soon, there are going to be a lot more people on unemployment, and in need of homes.

May 29, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  34. Larry

"You ain't seen nothing yet" sounds a whole lot like "Bring it on" from the Bush administration.

I'm one of Obama's biggest supporters and I think he's doing a terrific job but he needs to relax that kind of rhetoric.

Larry
    Cincinnati, OH

May 29, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  35. Cheryl

Yes. I believe he is just getting started. I have never seen a president in my lifetime that was so organized. He gets things done. I liked Clinton, but he was a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants kind of guy. Obama is more disciplined.

May 29, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  36. mike ca

I think that he is off to a really good start.
    There is something exciting & vibrant about this new administration.
    Mike CA

May 29, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  37. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Houston

May 29, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  38. Tina Tx

I see why not. I am hoping his claim that the jobs will return hurries up for the people who are not working and on the verge of living in a box on the streets. I don't think I could survive on the streets of my city without getting killed. This is not how Americans should be treated.

May 29, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  39. Jim from Chicago

Jack, President Obama was elected with his vision for his presidency and how it would impact the hopes and dreams of the American people. However, since he took office, he's been bogged down being the chief street sweeper after the elephant parade has been through town. No only that, some senators from his own partystill haven't gotten with the program. Once these issues are settled, look out - greased lightning.

May 29, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  40. Eric Platt, Toronto

Let's see.....

control of the Senate
    control of the House
    appointment of Supreme Court Justices for eight years

fawned over by the Press
    adored by voters

no viable political opposition

Should he be confident?

Of course he should.

May 29, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  41. Scott - San Diego

No – He is way over confident and doesn't like it when Congress doesn't give him what he wants. Luckily for him, they are in the tank with him on all this out of control spending. There aren't enough rich folks out there to pay all this debt and it will come back to the middle class. Obama wants to help the poor folks by taking from everyone else. This mentality that somehow those who worked for their money should be taxed out of it, is going to come back to bite him one of these days.

May 29, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  42. Marion Julian

I do believe him, and it scares the hell out of me...the man is a socialist and our wonderful country is on a collision course. we will be the next Venezula, have you noticed you can't turn on the tv or radio without hearing the president speak...I just wonder if anyone that things this will be some great has ever been to Cuba or Venezula? I have....not so good.

May 29, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  43. Joe CE

Confidence is good but I hope to see lot more, Some action to correct trade than allows unsafe & defective produst into the US would be nice. Security for Ports & Borders would be a pleasant cahnge and the we deal the enormus proble of illegals and there impact on the economy such as bankrupting Social Security.

May 29, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  44. Venia PA

Yes because he has already far surpassed my own high expectations of him. He has already kept soo many campaign promises and he shows no signs of slowing down. It's nice to have a President in office who actually seems to want to make this country better and not the rich richer.

May 29, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  45. bob brost owen sound ontario

yes.......ANYTHING different from the past decade is a refreshing change.

" If ya keep on doin what ya been doin....yer gonna keep on gettin what ya been gettin " ..............quote from the barber pole

May 29, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  46. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Jack: He should and he is---Confidence and courage come through preparation and practice--–it is the feeling you have before you understand the situation---The President has got to take the initiative and "play his game,"---decisively --and his confidence is the "difference."

May 29, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  47. Denny from Tacoma, WA

Overall the public still has confidence in Obama and it helps if he displays confidence as well.

May 29, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  48. circy in new mexico

Why shouldn't he. Being confident is the secret to success.

May 29, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  49. Lisa in Shelton CT

Yes – he and his team of many talents are not out of ideas or surprises; and on the home front, Michelle continues to impress. No matter where we go by 2012 (or 2016 if our faith is justified), it will be better than here and now!

May 29, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  50. Martin in Shoreline, WA

It depends on whether or not Democrats retain power in Congress. As far as his policies go, he is just another politician. But I would feel confident in his shoes. All Barack Obama has to do is get us off of foreign oil. If he focused all of his attention on that one issue, our economy would boom. This would solve many problems with pollution and national security as well. Three birds with one stone, so to speak. That alone would secure his legacy as a great President.

May 29, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  51. Michael Romo

confidence breeds confidence, this forces the news outlets to report that he is positive about his efforts to fix this countries problems.and it should ease investors minds about the economy.

May 29, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  52. george

Yes he should be because he is going to be a GREAT President although he doesn't really have to do anything special to be better the than the one that just left office 5 months ago. For one thing he is not looking for some insignificant country to bomb just for kicks The night mare is over, and the evil doers are gone, and the party of NO is no longer in power, the people are....

May 29, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  53. Ron from Pennsylvania

Jack,

I hope so. We need to do so much to right this ship that it's going to take a confident leader and a lot of help from all Americans. President Obama seems to be that leader and I, for one, will do everything I can to help him.

May 29, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  54. Bruce St Paul MN

Sounds like a man with a plan. Let's hope so.

May 29, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  55. John Webster, Aldergrove BC Canada

Come on Jack, should he just sit in the oval office and wring his hands and whine about the mess that his predecessor left him? Of course he should be confident, that is why he got the nod and not the Barbie/McCain team.

May 29, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  56. FAYE, NV

To believe is hope, and hope with belief is vain. To me a strong belief and having confident is good character.

May 29, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  57. Katiec Pekin, IL

Yes, Jack, he has to be. He is our leader and needs to let us know he has faith in succeeding regardless of the obstruction, negativity of
    the right. He has continuously told us that our rebound will take time
    and shows determination for it's success.
    Our president is working 24/7 for our survival and we must give him
    support and credit for what he is trying accomplish.

May 29, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  58. Mike in Guatemala

I think he has every right to be confident ONLY IF after he completes his first year in office that unemployment has dropped and the annual debt can REALISTICALLY be expected to drop significantly - meaning a projection made by some respected agency with NO RELATIONS with his administration, the Democratic Party and the Republican Party

May 29, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  59. Don (Ontario)

Yes! We have seen in 5 short months more than we have seen in the last 8 years. I think Obama is just getting warmed up.

May 29, 2009 at 2:32 pm |
  60. Neil from Nassau County, N.Y.

Well, when are we going to see real progress from the Obama Administration, if we already haven't seen anything?

May 29, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  61. Larry from Georgetown, Texas

No he should not be. Being confident is one thing but to flaunt it is dangerous.

May 29, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  62. Larry, Ohio

Jack,when President Obama starts comparing himself with FDR,that is no longer confidence,instead it is arrogance,should we start clearing a spot on Mount Rushmore?,I really doubt it !!

May 29, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  63. don (in naples, florida)

Scary? does he mean he is going to spend lots more money???

May 29, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  64. Tom from Philly

Ok Jack, you have completely lost it and need to retire or you are trying to goad me. You do the math, we have seen 7.5% of this president's first term, 3 and 3/4% if he wins a second term. So, um duh shouldnt we expect a FFFEEEW more things?!!!!!?!

Worst case he fizzle's out today and operates at 10% for the next 7 years and 8 months, he will still outperform the last guy.

You do the math*

based on the reality that in these few months hes done more than bush did in 8 years and that at 10% of the pace of the first 100 days, for the 96% of the time left for of two terms, He will be able to more than double the accomplishments so far and exceed bush by more than a factor of to. G-O-Bama!!

May 29, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  65. devil dog1958 palos park il

nothing wrong with it, show me and i will be happy, at lease he has a goal,

May 29, 2009 at 2:51 pm |
  66. odessa

only he knows something that we don't know.i like a president to be confident because it shows he has alot of spunk and pretty smart so let him accomplish what he can do..when bush was in office, he confuses me everyday on economic issues and national security.my brains hurted and he gave me an headache.everytime he would make a speech, his words never made any sense yet he confuses his own political party too.with president obama, he knows how to talk to people like adults, his intelligence is very strong which intidimate alot of consertatives and democrats too, and he's so cool because he reminds me as james bond but as a strong leader.during the campaign, he hated drama yet in office,drama has come to him everyday and he ignores it. thats very cool.

May 29, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  67. Rick McKinney, Texas

Obama is like a little Banty rooster. He clucks a lot but there is little substance. All it will take is a bigger rooster to run him out of the hen house. North Korea might just be that rooster in a time when our military is stretched paper thin.

May 29, 2009 at 2:55 pm |
  68. Mike in Albuquerque,NM

Saying "you ain't seen nothing yet" is not a statement of confidence.
    It's a sad confession on the reality of his Presidency. We really haven't seen anything.

May 29, 2009 at 2:59 pm |
  69. Steve K.

As long as the press kisses his axx. He'll be confident until next election. .

May 29, 2009 at 3:00 pm |
  70. Jeff C in CT

Change we can believe in! Nope
    You ain't seen nothing yet! Oh really! Check with line one!

Jeff in New Britain,CT

May 29, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  71. Joanne from Medina

Yes, it's a good thing. People feel encouraged in these tough times to hear Obama's condifidence and optimism.

May 29, 2009 at 3:02 pm |
  72. Diane, Barneveld, NY

He's a chess player while Congress is playing tic tac toe and losing. I think he can crow a little.

May 29, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  73. Adam Thousand Oaks, CA

He has picked some low hanging fruit and he has strong-armed through some big legislation because of his rockstar approval rating and celebrity following his inauguration. He is going to be confronted with some huge battles and most Americans, according to the polls, are unsure that any of this big government spending is really going to work. Dems will be having mid-term elections soon and need to be able to claim some successes from those big risks they have taken to keep their seats, otherwise they will need to start distancing themselves from their leader. I hope he doesn't spend too much time patting himself on the back.

May 29, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  74. Terrell Walker of Escondido California

Yes he should be confident because he has a first rate team working with him and he has a plan. without confidence he could acheive Nothing.

May 29, 2009 at 3:12 pm |
  75. Chryssa

Boise, ID

May 29, 2009 at 3:12 pm |
  76. Alex (CT)

Apparently we haven't seen proper grammar yet from him then; I didn't see the address personally but if he really did say "ain't" then we have yet to see proper grammar considering he should have said "haven't" and he also used a double-negative which makes the statement a positive declaration. Very sneaky!

May 29, 2009 at 3:14 pm |
  77. Jenna

President Obama says “You ain’t seen nothing yet” when it comes to his presidency. Should he be so confident?

Just because we've not seen yet what he has been working on behind the scene's doesn't mean that he has no right to be confident.

I can't wait to see what he has planned for us!

Jenna
    Roseville CA

May 29, 2009 at 3:14 pm |
  78. gerry In Toronto

It's not surprising he's confident. He's the best leader the western world has seen for generations.

May 29, 2009 at 3:21 pm |
  79. Jenny, Iron Mountain MI

Confident, yes. Arrogant, No. President Bush was seriously arrogant. President Obama is seriously confident. Confidence is respectable. Arrogance is disgraceful. I find that people with confidence can "walk the walk" and folks with arrogance stumble and fall. As long as he can "walk the walk", he'll do fine.

May 29, 2009 at 3:21 pm |
  80. Steve of Hohenwald TN.

NO ! There are things he has done that will come back to bite him in the rear. Like working with the insurance crooks that have been ripping us off for years.

May 29, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  81. Gigi

Words of wisdom from my Scottish grandmother "pride cometh before a fall"

Oregon.

May 29, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  82. Scott in Canada

Obama and the Republicans are gambling everything on whether he succeeds or fails to stabilize the economy. If Obama succeeds, he'll not only get a second term, but probably a place as one of the greatest Presidents, the ability to practically hand-pick his successor, and a powerful, Democrat controlled congress for at least another term. If he fails, the Neocons get a second chance to destroy America.

May 29, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  83. bobwhite in Kansas

I "hope" the president is right: "we aint seen nothin', yet." I supported and voted for him. But I'm losing my confidence in him, too. He may, in my judgement, become the "180 degrees president." He still has lots of time and we'll all see whether or not he lives up to his representations made both during and after the campaign. I have growing doubts. But he is still a major improvement over Bush.

May 29, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  84. Gerry from Smithfield Virginia

Well he's right. We have seen anything YET! I voted for him but unless some things change, in his administration and they way they are doing business it will be my last vote for him..

May 29, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  85. Lynn, Columbia, Mo..

Why not, he's earned it. Let him bask in his achievements while he still can.

May 29, 2009 at 3:40 pm |
  86. Mari, Salt Lake City, Utah

Yes! Last week, there was a little bit of good news in America, the "confidence" of the American people that things are getting better was up.... 54.9% the highest in *** six years***.... amazing!

So, yes, Jack, President Obama has reason to be confident! IF Obama is able to give our Nation, national healthcare, get Green Industries going, put America back to work.......... the GOP will have to eat plenty of crow!

PS. Hope trumps fear & negativity every time!!

May 29, 2009 at 3:41 pm |
  87. Tommy Thomas in Abilene Tx.

President Obama has made great strides.However,until I see all Americans covered by a decent healthcare plan,I will reserve judgment.

May 29, 2009 at 3:41 pm |
  88. Irv Lilley

Jack, Obama's presidency will evolve . Hi confidence , I hope will not.
    In any case he cannot do any worse than GWB.

May 29, 2009 at 3:42 pm |
  89. Jack - Lancaster, OH

JACK:

I cannot imagine the President being more confident but we sure as hell have not been vigilant. I am not from either party and my comments are based on a recent interest in history. The revelations and lessons ignored are deeply disturbing.

May 29, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  90. Diane Dagenais Turbide

May 29, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  91. Alveta, Maryland

Yes Jack, he has accomplished a lot since he's been in office, we should all be proud. Why not boast, keep up the good work Mr. President.

May 29, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  92. Ryan, Galesburg, IL

Yes, his administration has been swift and graceful in turning this country back to dry land. His only faults have been not promoting a single-payer health system and giving Republicans and Wall St. undeserved defference.

What I've noticed is that people around me seem to finally have confidence that our government is working to make things better. Whodda thunk the American Dream could survive again in America...

May 29, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  93. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Jack,

Al my life tells me time to change how we live and how we improve all our lives...this demands confidence from all of us!

May 29, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  94. Jay in Texas

It is certainly refreshing to have an optimistic president instead of the old "doom and gloomers" of the previous administration who ruled by scaring people into blindly allowing our country to embark on two illegal wars and allowed the federal government to shred our Constitution. While I voted for Ralph Nader, President Obama has given me reasons to be cautiously opitmistic in his first few months in office. Two disturbing things from this president, however, are his failure to investigate and prosecute members of the old administration for many illegalities and also breaking his campaign promise to bring our troops home from Iraq in 18 months. He has also not yet kept his campaign pledge to end the discriminatory "Don't ask, don't tell" of our military.
    Brownwood, Texas

May 29, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  95. Kyle Irvine, CA

Jack,
    The president needs to be confident and believe with all his heart that he is doing the right thing. It sounds like he is doing just that. But I respect his comments about facing setbacks in the years to come and I appreciate his honesty!

May 29, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  96. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Jack,

do you remember in your own time being poor and not knowing you were poor. This is how I remember even if I was raised in foster homes that were not financially well off...I was not aware that I was poor until my parents showed up more in my life because a judge decided that it was time for them to show up more in my life! Then, my every day life was reminding me how this judge decided for me that I was poor and had to be reunited with my poor parents...now that's a poor judge in my book!

May 29, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  97. Stephen in Chambersburg PA

The President should be optimistic, but caution. Very rare to hit a 'home run' every time at bat. There are alot of days left and each must be faced in reality. Like Hans Solo told Luke Skywalker, 'Don't get cocky kid'. There are still many land mines out there, and some people will be more than happy to push them under your foot.

May 29, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  98. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Take care,
    Have a good weekend!
    God bless you!
    Diane Dagenais Turbide

May 29, 2009 at 3:54 pm |
  99. Alex in Seattle

I agree with most of what President Obama had done and wants to do. The big question is how to pay for it. Bush let the good times roll on the national credit card, but the Red Chinese are showing reluctance to continuing to float us loans by buying our T-bills. And all politics aside, the worldwide recession leave them with less money to invest with us.

May 29, 2009 at 3:54 pm |
  100. frankie

Yes!!!!!!!! The constant negativity of the Republicans could actually be a stumbling block for America, I wish they would try acting positive and see if it helps us all. Obama keeps telling us how much we Americans are capable of, and I believe he is right. His positive spirit can't hurt and it sure might help.

May 29, 2009 at 3:54 pm |
  101. TCM

Well, as long as he's backed by the current corruption that's upholding him, why not?

May 29, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  102. Jim from Gardendale, Alabama

Jack, I don't understand the problem with confidence!!! After all, had we rather have a negative, unconfident President in these times of doubt and fear. After all, FDR said "we have nothing to fear but fear itself." In a sense, that's true. Positive thoughts bring positive action and positive results. If we listened to some of the national news media, and the right wing extremists, we'd probably blow our brains out or at least live on anti-depression medication. We've had arrogance, defiance, closed door policies and outright lies for the past 8 years so I think it's refreshing to have a President who's confident, optimistic, has charisma and transparency for a change.

May 29, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  103. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Jack,

forgot to add...we need to look at the architectural design of canadian Arthur Ericson to be inspired to create a better living environment!

May 29, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  104. Greg, Ontario

He better be confident. The moment he shows any doubt people in the media with have him for lunch. That quiet confidence is what got him elected.

May 29, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  105. Mark in OKC

Sounds like another "Mission Accomplished" banner if you ask me.

May 29, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  106. The Broker.

Those words are correct. He's done nothing to see.

May 29, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  107. Eric from THE Republic of Texas

Other than absolutely OUTSPENDING every previous administration, the man has literally accomplished nothing.

In fact, going down the list of items over the past four months, he's had his @$$ handed to him on nearly every front (even by the French, for Pete's sake), AND even by his own party in Congress. But he has succeeded in winning the hearts and minds of the media.

There have been complaints there are a lot of former journalists in this administration. I'd say the same thing about the White House press pool and the media in general.

May 29, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  108. Sandra

Passing the largest spending bill ever is hardly an accomplishment. I see no stabilization in the housing market due to anything he has done. Guy sure does like to give himself alot of credit. Where are all these jobs he created by spending trillions and trillions of dollars?? Stop this man before we are owned by China.

May 29, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  109. CM

Of course he should remain confident. To crumble under pressure now would undermine his own successes. People asked for change, and we are getting it. I for one am looking forward to much more success from the President.

May 29, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  110. Christine from Edmeston, New York

The camp of Obama critics can best answer that question. Just look at who is in that camp. A measly little faction of embittered pinheads. Doesn't that say it all? Most of the country is happy to look forward with as much optimism and confidence as we can possibly muster.

May 29, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  111. NANCY M.- Colorado

I would rather he had said "You haven't seen anything yet." Keep up the good work, Mr. President!

May 29, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  112. DB

No – Cocky is more like it. Only in his fairy tale are things getting better. The huge spending bill has done nothing to stimulate the economy. The housing market is no where near stabilized. The promise of job creation seems to have fizzled out, not that he should have made that empty promise anyway. Next in the plans he wants to destroy health care by socializing medicine. Please, take the blank check out his checkbook, we can't afford 4 years of this, the 4 months was more than enough.

May 29, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  113. Shasta

Should his next book be called "The Audacity of Confidence"? There's nothing wrong with being sure of your abilities, Jack. Lay off.

Casey, Minneapolis, MN

May 29, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  114. D - Atlanta, GA

As my Grandmother was fond of saying, “it’s a poor dog that won’t wag his own tail”. Of course he should be confident. At the start of his presidency, critics were constantly yammering about how he was talking down the economy — too much doom and gloom. These same naysayers now think he is cocky. Pump your brakes America, slow your roll and let the man do what we elected him to do – fix our economy, restore our image abroad as a world leader and unite us once again as a country (and a fine job he is doing).

May 29, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  115. The General

The General here, from Apopka Florida...

Obama says, "You ain't seen nothing yet." That's true. Upon analzying his own self-proclaimed "successes," anyone with a 1st year economic's class under their belt can see that the country's heading for a financial disaster. With the stroke of a pen, signing the Stimulus pkg, the country's very existence was put at risk by the most inexperienced (according to Joe Biden) individual to ever hold the office. Never in the history of the country has such an unproven, polarized individual been given the reins, and through a current of backdoor dealings and corruption; cleverly rebranded as "organizing," we're watching our once great nation disinegrate before our eyes; all while pleasing the oblivous liberal masses who think they're going to either gain something or see some sort of "be happy," Coca-Cola commerical come to life.

I agree, whole heartedly with Rush Limbaugh, and for the sake of this country that I defended for 20 yrs, that Obama' s self-serving agenda fails. He needs to pack his bags, hop a Greyhound and scurrying back to Chicago. I've never seen a president, in such a short time, achieve so much admiration from the unknowing left, while steadily deceiving them, and posturing against the wholesome conservative nature of this country.

May 29, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  116. Roland(St George,UT)

If he can get healthcare reform passed and universal coverage for everyone, that will be a miracle in itself. I'll be watching with anticipation. Although, I think raising the dead and walking on water would be easier feats. (Roland/St George, UT)

May 29, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  117. Gail, Plano Texas

Yes, President Obama should be confident about his administration's accomplishments since he took office. He has brought a vitality to the office of President that is unprecedented. Bravo to our new Commander in Chief! I am very proud of him.

May 29, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  118. Agnes from Scottsdale, AZ

Jack: Yes, the President needs to show leadership, swiftness of decision and hope. There is a huge amount to be done. Why shift to the slow gear – that's part of what got us in the mess we have been in: low energy (aka 6 weeks vacation in TX as a run up to 9/11).

It feels good to be kept on our toes again. The train is leaving the station – all aboard???

May 29, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  119. Mary Johnson

Yes, he should be confident. the American people are almost totally behind his efforts to make real change
    He has done a really good job so far and there is no reason why we would expect his being on a roll should stall.
    Bring em on I say. Yes, We Can

May 29, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  120. Allen in Hartwell GA

Jack, as long as some members of the media insist on addressing him as "Mister" Obama I guess he should understate his accomplishments. Maybe after he gets reelected he might earn the title of President Obama, or Mister President, huh?

May 29, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  121. Jack Martin from Boynton Beach FL

Yes he should be confident. Yes we can was his call during the election. All he needs is to kick some democrats in the butt and make them do the job they promised they would do when they ran for office.
    With few exceptions the republicans will remain the party of "just say no" and look ridiculous doing it, Give ' em hell Barack! (With apologies to Harry Truman.)

May 29, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  122. Phyllis Scolire

My feelings for former President Bush have not changed at all. In fact they are even stronger. He is a man of integrity and principle and graced the office of President of the United States.

May 29, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  123. Jamal St. Petersbug, FL

Of course he should. He stabilized the economy in his first four months, some say the recession will only be an unplesant memory. If he pulled that off, why shouldn't he be?

May 29, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  124. Liz, Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I would have preferred it if he had not phrased it that particular way, but I believe he deserves to have a certain amount of confidence in the way his presidency is going – he has accomplished much, and he has also admitted he has made mistakes and will continue to make more. I feel that the U.S. is finally on the right track, and in the long run, faces a bright and prosperous future under his presidency.

May 29, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  125. Karen - Missouri

YES!!!!! And I'm GLAD he has confidence because the news certainly doesn't promote confidence and hope. At least NBC doesn't do so much of this.

May 29, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  126. dave

Yes he should. confidence in his self this will help the country have confidence in it self to get out off this recession.

May 29, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  127. Kevin from Atlanta

Jack,

President Obama shoud not be so confident because all of this spending that he is doing is out of control. I think that he is trying to do something unlike the former administration. I think being this confident is not good because all this debt he is getting us in can really affect us down the road. The more money that he keeps printing will only cause the dollar to become weaker and start rapid inflation. The only thing I am confident in is that Government is dysfunctional and never does anything effectively.

May 29, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  128. William Courtland

Well I still want to work for him and the American people to assist the design and installation of the New United States Postal Service: self confidence helps respond to a problem quickly: the faith to not give up.

May 29, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  129. John in L.A.

Well, take a look at the White House website. See his daily schedule and all his events and signings in his first four months.

He's right about his administration.

Next?

May 29, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  130. sue

I voted for Pres. Obama, And I hope he shows confidents in the really big issues like Health Care. Everyone in the country wants a plan that will overhaul this program. If the GOP and the Democrats think that just a little change is going to satisfy this country you better think twice. We told you what we wanted in the last election. I am hoping and praying that we get it.

May 29, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  131. Judy, Exeter, Calif,

Yes he should. He has accomplished a great deal in a very short time, and he wants the American people to know he intends to keep his promises. While his critics slither around groping for something to blather about, he has been working for the people. Kinda refreshing really.

May 29, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  132. oz Gig Harbor WA

Kennedy made me confident. Clinton made me confident. Obama makes me even more confident...he's here in front of me every day keeping me informed as to how things are going. There may be tough days still ahead but Obama is right there with his hand in the fire. Gotta love this guy!

May 29, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  133. Steve in Las Vegas,NV

Pride goeth before a fall! Certainly sounds a bit arrogant to me.

Don't listen to what he says, but listen to what he doesn't say!!! And that goes for all of them!

May 29, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  134. Anne Hamilton - Denver, CO

Jack, the wording of your question is misleading and taken out of context. The obvious answer - on the surface - would be that overconfidence makes him sound arrogant, and he may have to eat his words. Taken in context, though, I think President Obama recognizes the obstacles ahead, and his statement is meant to instill new confidence in a country which has seen only doom for the past eight years.

May 29, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  135. Richard New Hampshire

President Obama "hasn't seen nothing yet".
    Consider Pres.G.W.Bush,he did not forsee Sept. 11.
    Consider Iraq,Iran,Afghanistan,North Korea,Terrorism,Isreal,Palistine,the economy,banks,auto industry,etc..
    Just wait!Obama's big test hasn't happened yet.Put on your running shoes Big O.

May 29, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  136. DON IN WESTPORT, MASS.

Abraham Lincoln once said "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe".
    Well, the last administration left him with a giant sequoia redwood of a tree in terms of this nations problems.
    He better get sharpening and hopefully his confidents level does not fizzle out way before his swing.

May 29, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  137. Charles--Illinois

I give this President all the kudos in the world and he's playing to the contributors so I understand that. Confidence is good because the Media criticized him a few mos ago because he wasn't be positive and confident about the state of the country economically. From the multitude of messes that President Obama inherited from the Bush/Cheney administration, I think playing the confidence game is a good thing for ALL of us in America. Now if we can only get this JOBS JOBS created and the almost 7 millions jobless folks back to be employed again like myself, that would be great too.

May 29, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  138. Jerry: Alpharetta, GA

President is correct when he says that we can't rest on our laurels. In fact there are no laurels to rest upon. A lot of action has been taken but are they effective actions. Don't confuse action with results. You can't place a band aid on a subdural hematoma and sit back and say wow look the bleeding stopped, now everything is better. President Obama had better prepare himself for some real brain surgery. There is still a very high potential of major economic upheavals in the near term. Love the confidence and enthusiasm, but cheerleaders do not win ball games.

May 29, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  139. Trevor from NorCal

I think he has to be Confident. Confidence is ok...we like confidence. Arrogance is the problem. That's why there was a giant sigh of relief across the country January 20th...arrogance was replace with confidence and confidence is so much more appealing and is quality you can actually get behind and support.

May 29, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  140. Lance Schumacher

Sure, of course he should be confident! He knows he hasn't "spent all he can spend" yet. Heck, a mere 2 Trillion dollars in deficeit spending in less that 4 months, that's nothing compared to what he has in mind, and what Congress is set to give him. Just wait until he turns our national health care system into a clone of Medicare and starts taxing the working people and corporations to pay for welfare health care for the lazy crackheads and welfare scam artists that are to drugged out, too lazy, or too stupid to work for their own health care. By the way, Jack, mark my words! The Democrat's cure for the failed government Medicare system will be to nationalize it into a total health care system covering everyone whether they can pay for it or not. Can you say-SOCIALISM? Lance, Ridgecrest, Ca

May 29, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  141. Jenny from Nanuet, New York

He would not be where he is today without the confidence he has. Afterall, who would've thought he would've run against and beaten the Clinton machine for the presidency? Nobody should doubt this man.

May 29, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  142. Ken in NC

I watch you every day Jack because I am confident that no matter how bad my day has been you will put a smile on my face. That's confidence. So, to answer your question, YES. No one wants to have a wimp for a leader. If he does not display the fact that he is confident then we could not have a feeling of confidence.

May 29, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  143. Linda in Arizona

Don't you mean, should he be so boastful? Not the way his administration has been screwing up right and left, and turning into bush clones. I'm not convinced the good times are gonna roll.

May 29, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  144. Annie, Atlanta

Of course he should. You know as well as any of us the incredible mess Bush left behind for him to clean up. We haven't seen anything yet, comparatively speaking.

May 29, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  145. Carl from Citrus Heights, California

Thank God he is, it is refreshing having an intelligent, compassionate, invigorated person as the leader of our country and the purported leader of the free world. My dream is for hope to come alive as truth, hope for change of mindset and personal action toward each other. I hope I ain't seen nothing yet because it will take time to bring the necessary changes around.

May 29, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  146. CHIP

How dare he say such things, how dare he have so much confidence in his country, how dare he try to make us feel everything will get better and we possibly will not only succeed but go over and beyond. Oh yet what level are we on know????

May 29, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  147. MariaElena

Well, confidence and ego are prerequisites for running for President of any country. Obama has been blessed with those charcteristics. Add whip-smart,forward-thinking, charismatic, wilingness to play well with others,and the realization that we cannot operate this country as in the past 10 years.....yeah, I'd bet on him.

Brunswick,MD

May 29, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  148. Bruce

No. Both parties are identical; Both controlled by the global corporations and the Bilderbergs and their controllers.

May 29, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  149. John from Alabama

Jack: President Obama needs to be confident for this customer driven economy. If the president is upbeat about accomplishments it might help customers to buy what they need again. Notice I did not use the word "want" with the American Customer. Needs being met could spark a better economic forecast for this nation. Yes, confidence is a good thing, but being greedy is a bad thing.

May 29, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  150. steve in florida

I think he absolutely needs to be that confident. What gives me confidence is what I've seen so far. I believe him. So far he's shown that he's brilliant, unflappable, constantly curious, honest and most of all humble, despite statements like this. That statement will be endless fodder for the old muppet guys in the GOP balcony, but to me it shows hopeful excitement and enthusiasm and I think it's because to date, he's probably exceeded his even his own expectations.

May 29, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  151. John in Santa Barbara

He's right, I haven't seen anything except smoke and mirrors. Everything stinks and the ship is sinking, and our leader is telling us, "Let them eat cake." We expect too much of the President.

May 29, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  152. emma

Leave our President alone ,Jack!

May 29, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  153. Emily-Kenya

Can you leave Mr. Obama to breath for a day?

These questions are not worth asking.....

May 29, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  154. Peter, KC

We really haven't seen anything yet. Tons of stuff is "in motion", when will it all come to fruition, or come crashing down? At that point, we can officially say that we've seen something, but I don't know if we'll like what we see.

May 29, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  155. Jerry Jacksonville, Fl.

The only way he should be, at least he can find his way to his office each morning without someone showing him the way as was not the case with the former president.

May 29, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  156. Dee in sunny (and wet) Florida

I certainly hope his confidence is well placed! Because if this President cannot help turn our economy and our country around, I dread to think of what will come next.

I think a good part of the reason he got elected was his confidence. People were ready for a confident President, who is NOT arrogant, but confident because of having intelligence and skills.

I hope he remains confident, with cause!

May 29, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  157. Taj from Chattanooga

You bet Jack. Look at what he's done in 4 months and he has at least 44 more to go.

May 29, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  158. Jim, from Las Vegas

I have no doubt we will be seeing many more things from Obama, but I also fear that many of them are going to be significantly different than what was expected. He is now saying it is "now or never" for healthcare reform. Anytime I hear a high-pressure sales pitch like that I know someone is trying to steal from me.

May 29, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  159. Greg Mechanicsburg, PA

I like President Obama. He's got a bit of Vulcan blood in his veins. He is just the right person to begin our mission. We were made to explore the universe and discover Gods gifts to mankind. We will boldly go where no man has gone before. And we will make life and prosper. Whatever we imagine could be for good, we will find. We will learn to overcome our tendencies to diverge and we will make this world a kingdom of heaven on earth.

May 29, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  160. DrFrann in CA

I don't think he's so disconnected that he'd be confidently arrogant – that sentence is taken out of context. And he uses humor with seriousness to lessen the tension and gain perspective.

President Obama knows what is around him and what lies before him is not going to be easy to retool and reinvent. I think he is about getting it right, not being right which is why he self corrects.

He needs to be hopeful. He ran on Hope. He's running on Hope.

DrFrann in CA

May 29, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  161. Kelby, In Houston, Texas

I have never seen a president do so much so fast in such a cool and collected manner. The only snag in his presidency has been the torture issue.
    Should he be so confident? YES!
    Can he afford to be so confident? YES HE CAN!
    If he can get past this torture issue unscathed, there is NOTHING, he can't do.

May 29, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  162. Horn Lake, MS

How many trillion dollars have produced or save 150,000 jobs? It is the socialist effect.

May 29, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  163. Kelly in Atlanta

Yes, yes, yes and yes. Do we as a nation want a humble "I don't know if I can do this or not" leader? I think not! If I'm boarding an airplane I want a pilot who is confident in his ability, not one who isn't quite sure or maybe secretly wishes he had trained a little more. If I am picking a President, I want all the same. Someone with absolute confidence in his ability to lead a nation of people. When it comes down to it, even G.W. Bush had confidence in himself (albeit misplaced confidence).

May 29, 2009 at 5:48 pm |
  164. Carl D.

Jack,
    It's easy to be confident when your spending everyone else's money. No fear for Obama, win or lose, he still gets his salary, the same as Bush is getting now.
    Carl in Illinois

May 29, 2009 at 5:48 pm |
  165. nora CC TXAS

Yes, he should be that confident. He has to keep sounding positive and ready to do a lot more, it is so apparent there is so much more to do. This is the kind of president we have now. He has a bright, positive,never say that is enough attitude. We have needed this for so long time and it is finally here. I would be upset if he sounded like he was doubting himself and his ability to make our country a better place to live.

May 29, 2009 at 5:48 pm |
  166. Diana

I'm confident that the brilliant, charismatic adult, captain of the ship USA, has the best chance of getting us through these troubled waters. He has the best and brightest crew aboard. So different from the Cheney-Bush team, filled withthe dumbest and meanest.

May 29, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  167. Dennis, Columbus, Ohio

We have heard from several people that have been associated with several administrations that this administration comes to work earlier, stayes lated and works harder than any other in recent history. President Obama appears to have the energy, determation and influence to set high goals which is what drives him.

Given all this then I can believe we ain’t seen nothing yet.

May 29, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  168. john .... marlton, nj

NO, everything is reversable in 2012 ...

May 29, 2009 at 5:51 pm |
  169. Joseph Leff

For the short term (3-6 months), the answer is no. For the longer term, more than a year, absolutely. You've got to believe things will get better, or they won't.

Joe in Delray Beach, Florida

May 29, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  170. Jim/NC

We don't know if any of these programs will work. The housing market is not stabilized...ask the individuals in the business. Passing bills and making them work are two different issues...confident but not cocky is the order of the day.

May 29, 2009 at 6:01 pm |
  171. Myron J Hall

Given all the twists, turns, and surprises this presidency has already taken, he should proceed with extreme caution. He has a great enemy in the "republican party". And really hasn't learned who his real friends are. So he should proceed with caution.

May 29, 2009 at 6:06 pm |
  172. Paulette,Dallas,PA

I need to remind our young President,"You are as good as your next race!"

May 29, 2009 at 6:06 pm |
  173. RSauerman

yes,,im glad he is confident , confidence breeds successand lack of it will surely cause failure the amount of success he has is yet to be seen !

May 29, 2009 at 6:08 pm |
  174. Ralph Spyer chicago Il

He should be confident ,my God he the first black president. A great wife ,two loving children,a dog. All he has to work on is his bowling.

May 29, 2009 at 6:08 pm |
  175. Aldo

Should he be so confident? Why not. Do you want him to be pessimistic or something?

May 29, 2009 at 6:09 pm |
  176. Darren

I would say no. I know anytime in my life I stood up like the cock-on-the-walk and bragged, someone came along and knocked me off that pedastal. As President, that's a pretty tall pedastal.

May 29, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  177. scorpion

Yes Jack, the bar has been set pretty low

May 29, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  178. Maureen Rosita Russell

Doug said it – YES – SWAGGER

May 29, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  179. Samantha- Pryor, Oklahoma

He has every reason to be confident. Look at what he has accomplished in just 4 months. His presidency is just beginning.

May 29, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  180. John marshall

Snyder Ok
    Maybe hes talking about that world goverment thing he mentioned at the UN, The Amero or the socialisim hes trying to drag us into. Obummers a flaming liberal socialist.

May 29, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  181. Joe Edwards

President Obama is right, "I ain't seen nothing yet." Although I voted for him, there has only been promises, lofty idealism and a lot of money spent.

President Obama is still a work in progress.

May 29, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  182. Meryl in Tennessee

Too much confidence? Absolutely not. Obama's comment conveys a sense of optimism, and I for one, can't wait to see a better America!

May 29, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  183. Nancy, Tennessee

President Obama has to have confidence in his ability to lead this nation. It's hard to measure the degree of confidence that is necessary to do a good job. If he is too confident, we call that arrogant. Obama has a ways to go before he gets close to the record held by George Bush on the arrogance scale.

May 29, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  184. DWIvory

Why should we worry about what people who can afford to buy a $30,000 ticket are doing. If they have it then let them spend it. I am tired of people having to hide the fact that they are wealthy. GO FOR IT!!! and Great for our President...He has done alot and is not stopping yet. If he was not doing anything then there would be something to say..He can not win or lose...Let him do what he do

May 29, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  185. Patrick

Absolutely. The President's confidence is like that of an athlete: If he doesn't believe he can make American's lives better, he shouldn't be in the ring, on the track or up at bat. Confidence is the mark of a leader and the first step to greatness.

Naturally, confidence shouldn't be confused with swagger. We've had enough of that.

May 29, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  186. Jon

All I can say about the President is that myself and over 1,500 freshly minted lieutenants have to wait up to a year from our graduation this month until we are finally allowed to go onto active duty for the Army. So with 6 weeks notice we all found out that our profession we have worked so hard for will have to wait another year. And good luck finding a temporary job in this economy.

May 29, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  187. P.S

No, President Obama should not be so confident. <10% of the "largest economic recovery package in history" has been spent, so it is having little impact on the economy. The US government is also taking over the US auto industry, nationalizing it, and the bill is more than $50 billion and that is just beginning. This is an industry that has not been competitive for thirty years. My family is worried about the costs of all this spending by our government

May 29, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  188. Chris C

No. We are still in a bad situation and what he has done is prolonging a financial collapse. N Korea could destroy several countries, yet Obama decides he wants to pick a judge. Get real!

May 29, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  189. Dennis

Of course not! He shouldn't be so cocky, you can't have us all thinking everything will get better, or perhaps we will succeed. FOX NEWS wouldn't have a show if he did.

May 29, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  190. James in Dublin, OH

There's a big difference in talking about what you are going to do, talking about what you are doing and talking about what you have done. It is important to be mindful of these differences, especially when it's so important for your word to be good.

May 29, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  191. michael NV,LV

Yah, know Jack I wish all of you would stop kissing up to Obama and
    just report the unbiased news. Is that to much to ask ?

May 29, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  192. Jane - WI

"Confident"??? I'd call it cocky and arrogant. Of course, that attitude is nothing new for this guy. Was this mega fundraising trip to the west coast paid for by taxpayers during this time of economic hardship for our government and our citizens? How much "health care" could have been purchased with all that Hollywood money?
    Mr. Obama is taking this country down a very scary path. I look at his taunt that "we ain't seen nothing yet" as a frightening threat.

May 29, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  193. Bill from pa

Accomplishing nothing in the next 8 years would be a roaring success compared to the last abomination in the white house.

May 29, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  194. David

Successful people are confident people. We should be happy to have a president who is confident.

David
    Washington DC

May 29, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  195. Louis, Washington State

Should Pres. Obama be so confident? Sure. Why not? He's easily the best President we've had in terms of his intelligence, wisdom, dedication, hard work, and bold moves that I have seen in my lifetime, and that includes President Ronald Reagan. Let's not forget that George W. Bush said "Bring it on!" and "I am The Decider!" when he didn't have the goods to back it up. Obama does have the good. At the very least Barack Obama has enough self confidence to admit that he has made mistakes, that he will make more, but that he is going to do everything he can for the American people. Heck, Jack, that's good enough for me.

May 29, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  196. Paula

Jack,
    What could he say? He needs to be positive and upbeat to fight against the negative talk that gets double play on all the news talk shows.
    As far as I'm concerned, I'll be thinking positive right along with the rest of Obama Supporters.

May 29, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  197. Ron D-

Absolutely!

If other Americans displayed some of that confidence we'd have put this recession behind us.

Look at the figures: Nine out of ten Americans are employed and paying their bills and, since employment is a trailing indicator, we know we won't get most that 10% back to work for several months after the recession ends.

It's time for Americans to stop taking a cue from the "Just Say No" people and take the lead from the President.

May 29, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  198. kurt

Confidence is what floats this boat Jack. If we no longer believe in ourselves we as a country may as well hang it up. That's why this return to tearing each other apart shows that our political parties are more interested in scoring political points than saving our great country from the brink.

May 29, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  199. Ron Ouellette

Jack,
    Absolutely, know why?? Its really very simple. He is beholden to the American people for electing him and during the campaign he said that he would fix and change Washington. For the last 30 to 40 years the politicians have kowtowed to Corporate America and they have in
    effect stripped the American people of their rights and benefits, and, that applies to BOTH sides of the political aisle, both sides. He has
    not forgotten where he came from and he wants to make sure that ALL of us, not the rich and powerful, ALL of us get the benefits and rights that we deserve. So word of warning to those who are in POWER, CLEAN UP YOUR ACT or you will be on the OUTSIDE looking in.
    Ron – Florida

May 29, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  200. ken in massachusetts

jack of course obama should be confident because he is right we havent seen anything yet despite his promise of transparency witheverything to be online to follow the money he is right WE HAVENT SEEN ANYTHING YET

May 29, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  201. Barbara in NC

Hey – He's smart – he's thoughtful – he's honest with us.

What did you expect? "Mission Accomplished" ??

Thank God we have a man that tells us it's not over, and that it will be difficult. We don't need deceit and lies.

May 29, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  202. mitchell

No, don't forget that at one point Bush was the most popular President in modern history. Think how a comment like that from Bush would be viewed now. Obama should recognize that there is a dignity in silence, and let his accomplishments speak for themselves, spare us the congratulatory pat on the back. He's still got a long way to go.

May 29, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  203. Brendan in Phoenix

Jack, if a salesman walked up to you in a department store nervous and disheartened, would you buy what he's selling? I doubt it. Obama's confidence comes from his need to sell his agenda to the American people. Obama is showing he believes in his product. The question shouldn't be how much he believes in the product, the question should be whether or not he can deliver.

May 29, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  204. eyobolites

The president should know better..Pride goeth before a fall..the journey is just beginning..healthcare, the economy, are still very sick!

May 29, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  205. Kenny Smith Springfield Ohio

30,000 dollars to attend a fundraiser in California for President Obama? I thought that state was having a recession all their own? Not everyone is hurting there are they?

May 29, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  206. ron mengel

Obama is clearly the worst president we have had in my lifetime. We have elected a progesive socialist who with the power of the liberal press will ruin the hope of my children and the country I love. This man should be impeached.

May 29, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  207. diane ritchey

He is so right. We haven't seen anything yet. Before he brags about his accomplishments he should wait for results. He should take a poll from the jobless, people who have lost their homes, and the retired living off decreased investments if they think he has made great strides the first four months. His audience paid 30,000 to hear this.Of course they are going to shake their heads in agreement!!!! Safe audience for him to brag to. The audacity!!!!

May 29, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  208. Matt Charlotttesville

Jack, there's nothing wrong with his confidence. I just wish his comment was so dead on. Obama is correct "we ain't seen nothing yet", I've been unemployed for six months and see no end in sight. The Republicans cries of big government is a farce, government can't expand when it takes two years to hire people for one position I have sent my resume to plenty of government positions the process is exasperating in itself and I'm beginning to wonder if the resumes have even been viewed. When will we see the employment rate rise that's what needs to be answered, it requires tax money to pay for the stimulus but taxes can't be paid to keep up with 9% unemployment, I could go on forever but know you would not be able to read or report it all, will elaborate more on future questions.

May 29, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  209. Ellen NJ

Jeesh Jack! A month ago you were asking us if the President should be more upbeat! and now you are asking if he should be so confident! I like that he's confident, I just bought stock for the first time!

May 29, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  210. Dennis

Of course not ! He shouldn't be so cocky, you can't have americans thinking we'll get out this bind, we will succeed, things will get better. How dare you Mr. President make us think we are the BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD..........thank you Mr. President. Dennis Franklin,TN

May 29, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  211. Tim from Hot Springs, AR

Confident? He should be down-right cocky at this point. He has gotten essentially every major piece of legislation he has sought thus far. He has the Republicans not only back peddling and attempting to regroup, but becoming victims of their own friendly fire by way of Newt, Rush and Cheney. Obama's biggest concern at this point is Pelosi. He needs to keep a thumb on her or she will float off message like an errant weather balloon.

May 29, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  212. John Okiyi Kalu

So far so good for President Obama. I haven't seen anyone yet who gets hurt from blowing his own trumpet, particularly if the melody from the trumpet is sweet music. Obama has done well in a very short time. John Okiyi Kalu, Port Harcourt Nigeria

May 29, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  213. Kris Kuganathan - Corona, Ca

Yes Jack, he should. He needs to be very confident in order to keep his approval ratings high. The majority of the country elected him in a leap of faith, and expect something great. He needs to achieve the extremely high standards that were set for him by the American people and the media, or the political game will quickly and dramatically swing in favor of the right.

May 29, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  214. Shirley McCloud

The word narcissist comes to mind every time he opens his mouth.

May 29, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  215. Mike S.

Yes the President should be confident. We have in President Obama one of the smartest Presidents we have seen in a decade. In only four months in office, he has tackled more "main street" issues than the previous administration did in eight years! I attended a HUD conference yeasterday and saw first hand the positive effects some of his decisions are bringing. The fact that he is orchestrating two wars and bailing out a stumbling economy gives him even more of a reason to be confident and proud. So I say to President Obama, stay confident but not overconfident and arrogant like your predecessor.

High Point, NC

May 29, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  216. Sara (22)

The man in-charge of the free world is confident? I am not accustomed to this. The president should to be a punch line on late night programming, not boldly moving this country forward… It is almost as if he is acting like, hmmm, what’s the word I am looking for, ahh, like a leader.

May 29, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  217. scott

President Obama is right to display that type of confidence. Confidence is a prime force of positive economic activity and thus needs constant reinforcement. Whether he really believes that level of confidence is warranted is another story.

Scott
    IL

May 29, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  218. Pat- Florida

“You ain’t seen nothing yet.” .. Seems to me I've heard that line before ah yes it was Al Jolson who always used that slogan towards the end of his great shows.. I hope he gave Jolson the credit for it..

May 29, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  219. Robert

Jack, he needs to be confident! Would anyone actually take him seriously if he was timid and anxious? In order to be the Leader of the Free World, one has to appear confident to the point of cockiness, poised on the verge of arrogance, and be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Whether or not he actually can to these things, we'll only find out after the fact. Presidential politics is the ultimate card game – with Bush we almost lost the house. Hopefully with Obama we'll only lose a few hands!

Robert
    San Francisco, CA

May 29, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  220. maria from Toms River NJ

YES He should be confident.
    So far we have seen more done in 4 mos than in the whole 8 yrs of Bush.
    Confidence is very good, and only shows that Pres Obama is very sure of his capacity as our President and as beautiful Human Being.
    And Jack, I lost my job in January, can't find one and still I think Mr Obama is what our Country needs right now, may he be blessed to achieve the best, and may be he keep confident that is good, confidence inspires trust. We need to trust this men to be our leader and I know he will not let us down
    Take care Jack, and maybe send me your book?

May 29, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  221. Emma, San Luis Obispo, CA

Yes, Confidence suits him.......WE had confidence in him and that means we should still believe in HOPE for the CHANGE that has come to America......that's what we elected him to do and he is dancing as fast as he can...........we should be so thankful to have a confident, capable, competent President to pick up the shattered pieces of our nation when Bush brought us to our knees.

May 29, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  222. Shirley

YES HE SHOULD. He is proving himself over and over again in the way he is handling very difficult situations and making excellent choices when necessary, which has been an every day occurrence since being elected. Not only Yes He Should, YES WE SHOULD!!!

May 29, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  223. mawa

No, I don't think it is "confidences" he is expressing. He knows that he has so much more to do, and he is acknowledging it in a joking punch line. In terms of what his biggest promises to accomplished were, we literally haven't seen anything yet! I wish him the best, and have my faith in him.

May 29, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  224. Roland(St George,UT)

No. Because I have a feeling the Republicans are off somewhere waiting in the wings, secretly plotting their next moves, and saying exactly the same thing. It's bound to get interesting.
    (Roland/St George, UT)

May 29, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  225. R. Townsend

Jack;

Our country is like a mirror that has been hit by a hammer. There are hundreds of millions of piece. The President doesn’t get it that the few pieces he has addressed and will address are nothing compared the piece relating to bring jobs back from over seas. We need to all work together and buy American. I know it is hard to find things made in America but the big money would bring jobs back if we made a real effort to do that. We have legislated jobs right out of our country and now we don’t have the unit of a culture to bring them bag. People associate with the countries they have come from rather than the USA. There should be an African American, a Latino American, a Euro American; we are all Americans. We are doing of a million cuts….. job cuts.

May 29, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  226. Tony from Torrington

A self important, arrogant, egotistical, presumptuous, brazen person is always confident. So I guess the answer is yes.

May 29, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  227. VICTOR

YES, Jack. This president is a rare breed. His successes in his first four months are nothing yet. There will be a paradigm shift in leadership and the presidency after he is done. Not only will he change this country but the whole world forever!!!

May 29, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  228. Mac

Coming from Canada, you can imagine that I'm a fan of Obama's. I loved his election campaign, I love him in office, and I'll most likely continue to agree with him.
    The fact that he has been so confident is one of the biggest influences in my choice. Why shouldn't he convey the air of predestined success? The last eight years have been filled with doom and gloom mixed with a 'mind your own business' kind of approach to governing. With Obama in office, we've seen him working in white light, making decisions that we're not used to. While this unsettles some people, I see it as a beacon of hope, showing us that although not everyone agrees with him (when has there ever been total agreement?), he still believes in what he's doing, and he knows he can succeed.
    Obama conveys a knowing confidence that's been sorrowfully replaced with arrogance and cockiness previously. I welcome someone who can carry himself as elegantly as Obama does, and I can't wait to see what comes next.

May 29, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  229. dave

Hi Jack
    You've got to consider who his immediate audience was with a quote like that.Quoting Al Jolson who was perhaps the first media celebrity neatly dovetails the cross-pollination of politics and celebrity. If he was unfettered by the million issues he has to face each day in order to pursue his agenda we would probably have a better grasp on what he means by that because we'd see first hand his agenda in action. All the dissent and distractions ie. the Republican media comments get in the way of his clean sweep of the American dream. As a Canadian I await with awe the changes his presidency will ultimately bring to your country and look forward to experiencing first hand America with a confident and intelligent forward thinking philosopher king at the helm.

May 29, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  230. Valerie

Our president should be confident in these difficult economic times. I'm hopeful that it will trickle down to those who don't feel so confident. I feel confident just listening to him.

May 29, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  231. Terre. San diego

Confidence yes, arrogance no. Obama has great confidence , Bush was too arrogant

May 29, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  232. Grant

He has made a few good decisions like not releasing the detainee photos, not ending the war in IRAQ as promised, increasing the number of troops in Afghanistan, etc. You know the same thing as Bush!! Amazing the decisions a president makes when they actually have all of the information, unlike a politician running for office.

The stimulus package is the worst thing he has done.......the country is broke, and he went out and put us further in debt then we have ever been.......is that hope and change???....that is stupid, not arrogant. Even far lefty Cafferty should be able to see that.

One last thing. You libs say what you want to about the supreme court nominee, but her statement was racist. If a white male would have made that type of statement you would be all over him and you know it. The answer for racism is not more racism.

May 29, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  233. Milton Smith

I wish oil and coal etc.. went into carbon fiber replacing everything with carbon fiber then our children would be rich.

May 29, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  234. Sunny

If he continues to spend money and get us more in debt, then I guess we "aint seen nothing yet." He was supposed increase and make schools better, but all I see our teachers being let go because States have no money. And, where are the jobs? Is he saving them for the illegals here in this country. We could save billions by not allowing States to be sanctuaries, not providing medical and educational benefits, and by not allowing any jobs whatsoever to illegals. Farmers complain they can't get anyone which is bull. They just don't want to fill out the paperwork for Ag guest workers. So I guess you could say, we "aint seen nothing yet." He's for illegals, he's for spending taxpayers money, he's for schools, but provides nothing, and where are the jobs???????????????/

May 29, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  235. brad

A president is measured by what sticks long after he leaves office. It's the media that wants to hype the 100 day, 4 month etc..... Only 2 years ago I was a paper millionare as house prices, reality set in and now no longer a paper millionare, same will happen to Obama, once said and done he'll be happy if he is even close to Clinton's legacy...

May 29, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  236. mawa from seattle

Well of course he should be confident...he is the president ( i don't want a wimp) But he knows that he has so much more to do, and he is acknowledging it in a joking punch line. In terms of what his biggest promises to accomplished were, we literally haven’t seen anything yet! I wish him the best, and have my faith in him.

May 29, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  237. Tricia, Florida

As leader of our country he should be confident.

May 29, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  238. Claretta Russell

This is the United States of America. This American like the fact that President Obama is confident. I would not want the President to be otherwise, as the leader of One of the most powerful, freedom loving, giving and caring countries in the World.

C. Russell
    Chesapeake, Virginia

May 29, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  239. Stay

President Obama is confident because for the first four moths since the last four years, Americans are waking up to a brighter future. The economy seems to be turning around and they no long are under the war mongering fancies of president bush and vice president cheny.

May 29, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  240. R. Townsend Iowa

Corrected spelling... this is such an issue to me that I hit return before my head got engaged.

Jack;

Our country is like a mirror that has been hit by a hammer. There are hundreds of millions of pieces. The President doesn’t get it that the few pieces he has addressed and will address are nothing compared the pieces relating to bring jobs back from over seas. We need to all work together and buy American. I know it is hard to find things made in America but the big money would bring jobs back if we made a real effort to do that. We have legislated jobs right out of our country and now we don’t have the unit of a culture to bring them back. People associate with the countries they have come from rather than the USA. There should be an African American, a Latino American, a Euro American; we are all Americans. We are doing of a million cuts….. job cuts.

May 29, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  241. CJ

I don’t got $38,000, but do got two cents:

Indeed, we’ve not seen “nothin” yet. Well, ‘cept for healthcare provided children courtesy of regressive tax on low-income smokers, escalation of war on Afghanistan to include war on Pakistan while troops remain in Iraq, still-busted economy including still-gone 401(k)s, and a few other dismal results. But okay, he got stem-cell research, and then—pretty much per job description—appointed someone to be Justice.

If not “nothin,” then not damn much. Next up? Another sales tax on all those who don’t hardly got so much as 38 bucks, let alone 38 large.

May 29, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  242. The Ronald

As far as Obama’s stimulus package goes, "creating" money and gladly handing it over to the banks hasn't put a dent in unemployment levels. It will take years to replace jobs sent overseas. Sighting recent gains in the stock market as an improving economy is a poor measuring stick when the investments are made in huge blocks of stocks by institutional investors, multinational corporations, and the banks Obama propped up in the first place.

May 29, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  243. Dr. Linda Roemer

YES he should be confident. Why? Because confidence and command presence GOES WITH LEADERSHIP.
    At last, we have, a Leader who leads...... with confidence.

May 29, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  244. Grant

He needs to stop blaming the prior administration for everything. That's not exactly " looking forward" now is it?? It's also the worst thing a leader can do.....blame others. You got the job rockstar. Part of that job is taking responsibility and not making excuses.

Also, can somebody let him know the election is over. These daily speeches are getting old.

May 29, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  245. John G. Ibanez

He was a first term Junior Senator from Illinois. He is Black. He ran against a former First Lady with a lot of support and won. He ran against a Senator with a lot more years in Congress and he won. He is now the first African American President of the United States. With the kind of drive and success that President Obama has mustered, he has every reason to be confident. As a businessman, I prefer people who have confidence in their abilities. I am very confident that this President will do what he says he is going to do!!!!!!

May 29, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  246. Jim Bryson

I just don't understand why everyone wants to know how the potential new supreme court justice will vote on issues. It does not matter who the nominee is. If they are qualified then approve them. Don't sit around and try to figure out if they are going to make decisions that align with your views. I am sure there are many other judges more qualified than her. Either dig up some poop on her or approve her appointment.

May 29, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  247. dave from Victoria BC

I should add to my previous comment that the Jolson comment is not a quote but a paraphrase...Thanks

May 29, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  248. Grant

It wouldn't matter what shape the economy was in, CNN would report whatever it took to get Bush out and Obama in. The media is so biased when it comes to Obama, it wouldn't matter what he did. That's why his approval rating is still high. It won't last. Eventually the slow Americans will catch on, they always do.

May 29, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  249. Star Auburn Ohio

Jack
    Have you ever been to a BACHMAN TURNER OVERDRIVE concert. the song "you ain't seen nothing yet " is one of there big hits from 1974.
    You ain't seen nothin' yet
    B-B-B-Baby, you just ain't seen nothin' yet
    Here's something, here's something that you're never gonna forget
    B-B-B-Baby, you just ain't seen nothin' yet
    You need educated
    We all need to be educated to how our government works.

I been to one of their concerts, they rock. I wish to go back to that time. Simpler times Happier times we could all use more of that.

May 29, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  250. DB

I would say Obama is a pretty good Hypnotist. Just look all the people who are hypnotized by his every word.

May 29, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  251. Harry, Torrance, CA

And you better believe he wasn't stuttering (like Bachman-Turner Overdrive did) when he said it! The man exudes confidence... and rightly so.

May 29, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  252. dreday101

why not? he is history in the making. nothing wrong wit him having some little swag. in a time of need he got hearts of people. a man that got hearts in his hands, thats a man that got great power.

May 29, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  253. Grant

But, Doctor, where is he leading us???? You should be educated enough to know if you are flat broke you shouldn't go out and buy a new house and car hoping you get a good job next week.

May 29, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  254. Gary in Lexington

Jack:
    With continuing job losses, rising unemployment, climbing deficits and the National Debt, prime loan foreclosures now exceeding sub-prime foreclosures, rising health care and insurance costs, the treatment of our Vets, the weak dollar, Chrysler and GM's (impending) bankruptcy filings, thousands of small business failures and personal bankruptcies, just to mention a "few", do not warrant such a confident statement as "you ain't seen nothing yet"! I voted for him, and yes these are Bush's and Congress' disasters, but it is way too early to be overly-confident at this point in time.

Gary,
    Lexington,KY

May 29, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  255. Linda Lawrence

Yes, he should be confident. He's been in office how long? And already we have seen so much progress! By now he's likely aware of what he's really up against, so his confidence is on solid ground.

Laguna, New Mexico

May 29, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  256. Grant

Yes, I realize that Bush had already served two terms. But since Obama ran against him anyway,.............you know it's true....... I thought it was appropriate.

May 29, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  257. Joanne Mykitiuk, Edmonton, Canada

If any of your viewers don't think it's good to have a President who is polished, smart, thoughtful and yes, confident, remind them of the day George Bush danced a jig on the Whitehouse porch while waiting for John McCain to arrive for lunch. ....then ask your question again.

May 29, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  258. steve in scappoose or

Jack,
    A man with a plan that is confident he can pull it off. . . .HELL YES he should be confident.
    The President of the United States sure of the direction to take the country? What a pleasant change to have a leader at the helm instead of the last arrogant moron.

May 29, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  259. Chika Uzokwe (Greece)

When you win election you win the trust of the people that have chosen you to serve them. When you get sworned in, you may choose to be their boss instead of their servant. If you choose to remain a good servant that they elected you to be, you get their approval and that boasts your confidence. Jack, Obama deserves to be confidient of his presdency.

May 29, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  260. Pat Townsend Iowa

Jack;

Our country is like a mirror that has been hit by a hammer. There are hundreds of millions of pieces to be fixed. The President doesn’t get it that the few pieces he has addressed and will address are nothing compared the pieces relating to bringing jobs back from over seas. We have legislated jobs right out of our country and now we don’t have the unity of culture to bring them back. People associate with the countries they have come from rather than the USA. There should not be an African American, a Latino American, a Euro American, Chinese American; we are all Americans and we are all dieing of a million cuts….. job cuts.

May 29, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  261. ONA EMEKA

Americans are the country of the brave, why shouldnt the commander – in – chief exibit self confidence, not only the Americans, the whole world need a leader with confidence

May 29, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  262. Grant

You fools that talk about so much progress are unbelievable. The economy is in worse shape then it was four months ago because he has now increased the defecit to record levels. This is the same thing you all bashed Bush over!! WAKE up AMERICA. Healthcare?? How can he afford it?? He can't without raising everybody's taxes. The reason Obama was elected was because there are too many ignorant people in America that are allowed to vote.

May 29, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  263. Grant

Why shouldn't the commander-in-chief have to serve before he's able to be the commander-in-chief???

May 29, 2009 at 6:45 pm |
  264. BJ in Minneapolis

Absolutely! Go Obama Go! If he is not confident, how can the country find hope and confidence in what we are doing and where we are going. If he were any less confident then I would be worried that the man in the hottest seat in the country had given in to mediocrity.

May 29, 2009 at 7:00 pm |
  265. Pepper from CA

Of course he should be confident. Being confident is good... If he becomes arrogant like Bush/Cheney then that's a different issue.

May 29, 2009 at 7:01 pm |
  266. Charles

How can he take care of the country, he cant even take care of his own family. Look at them. How can a man love his country more than his own family? He dont even know 1% of the population!!!

May 29, 2009 at 7:04 pm |