May 8th, 2009

Do you believe Pelosi when she says she wasn't told about torturing prisoners?‬‪

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

There's a new chapter in the saga over who knew what - and when they knew it - when it comes to the ongoing torture debate. The Obama administration just released records that show House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was briefed in September 2002 about the enhanced interrogation techniques that had been employed against al Qaeda prisoners. Past tense - had been.

House Speaker Pelosi maintains she was not told that so-called enhanced interrogation techniques were used.

The documents don't list the specific methods covered during that briefing. However, during the preceding month, the CIA apparently waterboarded Abu Zubaydah at least 83 times.

This doesn't exactly match what Pelosi has been telling us. Pelosi has previously acknowledged being briefed on the CIA's program, but says she only knew about methods they were considering - not about ones they actually used.

As recently as a week ago, Nancy Pelosi said: "We were not - I repeat were not - told that waterboarding or any of these other enhanced interrogation methods were used."

With the release of these new records, Pelosi came out with a carefully worded statement: That she had been briefed only once; she was told the techniques were legal but that waterboarding had not yet been used.

Republicans have been accusing Democrats, like Pelosi, of hypocrisy for getting all outraged about torturing terror suspects - and calling for investigations. They say the Democrats have known about it for years and are only now causing a row because suddenly the information was made public.

Former CIA director and Former Republican Congressman Porter Goss describes these lawmakers' claims as "a disturbing epidemic of amnesia."

Here’s my question to you: Do you believe Nancy Pelosi when she says she was never told about torturing prisoners?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Michael writes:
Yes, I believe her. The prior administration only thinks they told Congress what they were doing. My guess is they used so many weasel words that no one, except for maybe Karl Rove, had any clue what they were being told. When the administration systematically lied about everything, why would anyone believe they told the truth in this case?

D. from Atlanta writes:
No Jack, I don’t believe Pelosi. Because of the public outcry over torture, she is now doing what is expedient (a little C.Y.A.). She knew and did not have the backbone or political will to stand up and say something.

Bill from South Jersey writes:
Jack, No, I don't believe her. But that's not the point. Debating this in the media isn't how we should be proceeding. We really need an open, frank investigation conducted by a special prosecutor as to exactly what went on and who knew about it. I'm disappointed with the Obama administration in not supporting such action.

Robert from Fayetteville, Arkansas writes:
If I have to choose between believing Nancy Pelosi or the people who sold the war in Iraq, I think I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Pelosi.

Ed from Chicago writes:
I'm disinclined to believe Pelosi. Although I'm sure she has always opposed torture, I strongly suspect that she feared the political blowback of speaking out against it in the post-9/11 culture of those years. Now that it's politically safe, she's trying to say the right thing, and hoping not to be exposed.

K.C. from Ohio writes:
Jack, I wouldn't believe Pelosi if she said tomorrow was Saturday. Her time is up.

1. Moe Highland Village Tx

When someone tells you something and doesn't blink, they are probably lying !! So, does she ever tell the truth ??

May 8, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  2. Rod from Allentown PA

Jack,
    Like a good many of us. I don't believe anything Nancy Pelosi has to say. You can always tell when she is lying; her lips are moving.

May 8, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  3. Chuck in Sheboygan, WI.

No, but then again I don't believe most of what comes out of Pelosi's mouth.

May 8, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  4. Melissa

Yes, actually. The Bush administration were masters at keeping things secret and disgusting behavior. There's no reason Pelosi would have known about it when they didn't want any Democrats to know anything or be involved in anything. Though I imagine she might have had an inkling something crooked was going on, I don't see how she would have stopped it even if she did.

May 8, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  5. Greg in Cabot Arkansas

I believe her when she said she was never told about “torturing” prisoners, It’s called “Plausible Deniability”, no doubt she was told about "Interrogating" prisoners....did she just assume that we asked them some questions of gave them a multiple question test to find out what they knew?

This is either a total cop-out or gross incompetence to be given information gleaned from terrorist suspects and not ask HOW it was obtained.

May 8, 2009 at 12:44 pm |
  6. LUCI - ILLINOIS

I believe her a lot more than Bush and Cheney. they said they didn't torture at all. I guess if they didn't torture, then she couldn't have been told. Duh!!!!

May 8, 2009 at 12:44 pm |
  7. Jackie in Dallas

While it is true that Democrats, including Pelosi, probably DID know about the waterboarding, they were told the a mix of lies and truth about whether it was considered torture. After all, they had several legal opinions by Administration lawyers that said it wasn't. So, she probably CAN claim that she was never told about torturing prisoners. At the time, they had no reason to think that the Bush Administration was out-and-out lying (although they should have known...after all, Cheney's lips WERE moving!). Just like they were fed a carefully regulated diet of lies and truths about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction.

May 8, 2009 at 12:45 pm |
  8. John in Virginia

There is nothing quite as satisfying as watching a liar get caught in her own web of lies. Oh, and if our President hadn't ordered the release of the memos outlining the EITs in the first place, Nancy Pelosi would still be on the bus instead of under it. Nice going, O!

May 8, 2009 at 12:50 pm |
  9. don (in naples, florida)

It's called deniability. torture is an unspoken practice of the military that is condoned by the u.s. government because it gets results. Unless of course you happen to get caught in the act, then politicians become politicians and separate themselves from the military personnel and leave them out to dry. To answer your question.. Absolutely not!! I don't believe a word Pelosi says!!!!!

May 8, 2009 at 12:51 pm |
  10. Dave, Brooklyn, NY

I believe her even less than I believe any other politician (that is, less than zero). You had to have fallen out of the sky five minutes ago not to know that we were torturing people. We, as all other countries torture; the only difference is how brutally it is done. Anyone – including us civilians – who says they are unaware of that are either lying or more naïve than an embryo.

May 8, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  11. mack from michigan

No I don't believe Pelosi and I would like to propose a deal with the republicans. The democrats will trade Senator Pelosi for Senator Spector and another senator to be named later.

May 8, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  12. Eleanora Feucht, Mt. Laurel, N.J.

I doubt if Nancy was ever informed because Bush and Co. knew they were doing a terrible thing and did not want the Democrats to stop him

May 8, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  13. Col. Michael McDowell, USA

As a centrist Democrat, former Republican, Obama supporter who never accepted the fascist, neocon, Anti-Constitution, lying garbage of the Bush crowd, I don't trust or believe a word of the communistic, anti-American values, lying garbage of Nancy Pelosi who is politically left of Lenin. This woman couldn't tell the truth during a waterboard session or Catholic confessional for that matter!

May 8, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  14. Sylvain

I don't care when or who new about it Jack, We all knew! What did you think was going on at Guantanamo Bay for the past 10 years? A bunch of guy wearing orange suits having biscuits and tea? Come on!, we're all selfeshly blind when it comes to what was goin' on down there....

May 8, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  15. Kyle Irvine, CA

Jack,
    I dont believer her! She's a politician for crying out loud! Our elected officialls know more than we think about what goes on around the world. I am stoked to see Pelosi take some heat from this! Everyone has been praising her since she became the Speaker of the House.

May 8, 2009 at 1:02 pm |
  16. dan in Tucson AZ

Jack,
    Can we believe anything that career politicians say? I don't think so. They have absolutely no credibility with the general public.

May 8, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  17. Bizz, Quarryville, PA

Yes Jack, I do believe her. President Bush wasn't all that bright, but he was bright enough to know not to give Pelosi any information that might hurt him. Pelosi was smart enough to know that torture was being used, but never question it. She never spoke out against torture being used, until the time came when it was in her best interest to do so.

May 8, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  18. John Webster, Aldergrove BC Canada

Believability is last quality on any politician's list of traits in their resume so Jack, no is the answer here. The fact that Pelosi tells fewer and smaller whoppers lends some credence to this particular statement. I don’t see her nose growing so maybe I can accept but not believe her recollections.

May 8, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  19. Richard, in Kansas

I don't believe Nancy Pelosi any more than I believe Dick Cheney.

May 8, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  20. Marie Ontario

I think it is only reasonable to believe everything anyone says until it is proven to be false. Right now both CIA and the GOP are looking for possible way to get out of being convicted of war crimes so anything coming from any of them has to be viewed as suspicious.

Being briefed and shackled from saying anything about what you were told by the secrecy provisions is one thing but actually devising and using the torture techniques is quite a different story.

May 8, 2009 at 1:12 pm |
  21. Mike S., New Orleans

Republicans crying hypocrisy is, well, hypocritical. Why are we so worried about this one congresswoman's memory? The Bush administration had gung ho rubber stamp support from a Republican majority for six years. They endorsed a spending spree, war spree, torture spree, and borrowing spree, but they want to point at Pelosi?

May 8, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  22. Joe, Clinton Ma.

Of course not. Pelosi is in a position to know everything. The Speaker is in line to take over in an emergency. And she claims she knew nothing. I find it utterly amazing how easy she finds it to lie.
    She should resign now. She has been no help to us at all.

May 8, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  23. Kevin in Dallas, TX

Of course she knew. She says she didn't know, because if she did, that would make her a criminal.

May 8, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  24. Gary of El Centro, Ca

She's being "too" careful about her choice of words and turning this into a game of semantics. I believe she and other Democrats probably did know what was taking place, but because of the political climate at the time, just went along with it. To add perspective, let's remember that anyone speaking out against anything military at that time was being branded "un-patriotic" and likely to lose their seat in congress in the next election cycle. I wish the Democrats had taken a stronger stand about a lot of things during that period, including the "enhanced" interregation techniques.

May 8, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  25. Al, Lawrence KS

I believe that she wasn't told about the specifics...but, she knew, you knew, I knew, my dog knew that we were waterboarding. Everyone sat on their hands and allowed this to happen. The question is, what do we do about it. Danbury minimum security prison isn't big enough to hold them all.

May 8, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  26. Joy Tazewell Virginia

absolutely not I don't believe anything that comes out of her mouth!!

May 8, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  27. forgottenlord

How do I know Nancy Pelosi is lying? When her lips move. I trust her to be aggressive and pursue her agenda and that was very useful when she was doing whatever she could to get stuff through Bush, but I don't trust her to be helpful, cooperative or honest.

May 8, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  28. Bill in South Jersey

To simply answer the question, Jack - No, I don't believe her. In fact, I don't believe most of those who were in Congress at the time.

May 8, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  29. Fred R Deleon

Nancy Pelosi new what was going on. She has been and still is a good actress. She deserves an Oscar for her performance in the House. If the WH releases" ALL" the TOP SECRET documents such
    papers will sing America The Beautiful.

May 8, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  30. Jason, Koloa, HI

Nancy Pelosi is a politician. Do I believe any politician.... ever? No. However, I do not believe that members of the Bush administration gave members of Congress the complete story about what was happening because they never told anybody the complete story of anything. If they did tell them anything it was probably just enough to make them feel culpable enough to keep their mouths shut just in case they were facing criminal trials like they are now.

May 8, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  31. circy in new mexico

I'm just not sure whether to believe her or not. She seems to move in and out of reality with the shifting of the wind.

May 8, 2009 at 1:32 pm |
  32. John from Alabama

Jack: No I do not believe Nancy Pelosi did not know about waterboarding being used. I believe Pelosi was told an due to her age forgot all about it. Maybe we need a younger Speaker of the House whose recall of facts is better. Remember, Nancy Pelosi took impeachment and the US Constitution off the table. I wonder if she forgot those facts.

May 8, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  33. Joel in McAllen TX

Jack,
    No, I don't believe Nancy Pelosi. This woman is, above all, a politician. San Fran Nan and other democrats knew about the CIA's methods and this is why the democrats won't push too hard for hearings on the Bush administration. Because then, the truth would come out and make them all look like fools.

May 8, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  34. mike adkins,charlotte,nc

i Don't believe one word Nancy Pelosi says period! I'm a registered Democrat and and find her the most distrustful person in the party. Maybe Dick Cheney should take her quail hunting.

May 8, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  35. Susan Brown

Yes, I believe her as much as I believed "I didn't have sex with that woman" Why can't any of them tell the truth?

May 8, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  36. Paula in Albuquerque

May 8, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  37. Tom in Desoto, Tx

Of course she didn't know. Neither did Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice, Tenet shall I go on? (There's not enough space to list them all.) They're all like Sgt Schultz of Hogan's Heroes, he see's nothing, he hears nothing.

May 8, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  38. Dwight

I don't believe much Peloci says, she's a blight on the Democratic party, of which I'm a devoted member. I wish the Dems would realize how she hurts their credibility,

May 8, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  39. john in NC

Jack,
    Nancy is a democrat, so she would not lie. Only evil republicans
    lie.

May 8, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  40. kyle pennsylvania

NO because this is the same "woman" who blocked and stopped all efforts to impeach bush and his band of criminals. SHE IS IN ON IT! jail 'em all! She must be jailed for obstruction of justice, abdication of oath of office, depraved indifference, collusion, conspiracy, et al. JUST like bush and his band of criminals like cheney, rice, etc.

May 8, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  41. Jesse form Elizabeth, NJ

I believe her like I believe that the earth is flat.

May 8, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  42. Vinnie Vino

Jack,

Of course, because she is a rigtheous politician and they never lie (LOL here)...

Central Islip, NY

May 8, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  43. Denny from Tacoma, WA

It is hard to believe that Pelosi was totally unaware of the torturing of prisoners of war. That would be like saying most politicians are naive; however I suspect that plausible denial is more often the case. Each political party tends to not inform or misinform the other so I could grasp the fact that she was not officially informed in the then Republican administration. However if she kept up to date on current events, she had to know.

May 8, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  44. Gordon

I'm more inclined to believe Nancy than anybody from the Bush Administration & it's party GOP ( gangsters of politics ) as more memo's come out it just proves they ( GOP ) never told us the truth about anything for the last 8 years!!!!

May 8, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  45. Kevin in MA

May 8, 2009 at 1:59 pm |
  46. Jenna Wade

Yes, because Democrat's were left out of the decision making process.

This is ALL on the Republicans.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

May 8, 2009 at 1:59 pm |
  47. Paul Austin, Texas

I really think Pelosi is giving the answer she was told to give by the CIA. You know the old joke Jack if we tell you we will have to kill you. She knows that would not happen but none the less she is saying what she was told to say by whoever. I hate to say it but if it was a good ole boy in her place we wouldn't hear about it twice.

May 8, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  48. Remo .............. Austin, Texas

Jack,
    Not a bit! She had to have known. How could the Speaker of the House not have known! She would be privy to all memo's, and of course, the rumors. What an outrageous statement for her to make.

May 8, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  49. Terry, Chandler AZ

I'm a Democrat and a Liberal, but I gotta tell ya Jack, I can't believe much of what Nancy says. She is an embarassment to the Democratic Party.

May 8, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  50. Ben, Maryland

No. She's not much different than all the other politicians of any party who will do or say anything if it will help them get elected or gain more authority. The only difference is there are some who are more adept at it and line their pockets while they are at it.

May 8, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  51. Jane (Minnesota)

I don't believe her; but I'll wait until the papertrail comes out on this to see how far the "looking the other way" went. I'm disappointed in all those congressional reps (on both sides of the aisle) who were privy to this classified information and rubber stamped the Bush Admin policies. If they were principled, they would have raised objections and tried to do something about it. It doesn't do a lot for confidence in Congress at all (not that I had much to begin with)

May 8, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  52. ed from chicago

May 8, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  53. marie mtl can.

Yes I do believed her, because I don't believe any words coming out from gops mouth, sample as that.

May 8, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  54. maggie from Selwyn

Jack it doesn't matter who, if anyone, believes Nancy Pelosi rather what matters is every person, regardless of their political affiliation, that either participated in or was complicit in torture tactics be investigated and if found guilty receive a sentence proportionate to their involvement.

There were a lot of other gross things done to fellow human beings besides water boarding and everyone involved has the scrupples and morals of an alley cat. All that is left now is for America to declare where it stands on these issues.

May 8, 2009 at 2:17 pm |
  55. Ed Bassett Sr

Oh certainly, Jack! Do not po;itians ALWAYS speak the truth?

Ed Watertown CT

May 8, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  56. Ed Bassett Sr

Oh certainly, Jack! Do not politians ALWAYS speak the truth?

Ed Watertown CT

May 8, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  57. Geri - Mead, OK

No I don't believe her.

May 8, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  58. Mark in OKC

Sure, just like I believed Bill Clinton when he wagged that finger and said, "I never had sex with that woman."

May 8, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  59. Bob

Yes I do!!!

And I also believe pigs can fly, water runs up hill, time to time the sun rises in the west, and if I continue to spend more than I make I can reduce my debt . . . . just like our government tries to do.

This woman is Obama's and the democratic parties biggest problem the next four years.

And on a side issue . . . she flies back and forth to Calf and critizises the auto CEO's for doing the same?? How can this be?? She doesn't possibly have two standards, does she? And now the torture issue . . . "They never told me a thing!!" Oh yeah . . ., right!

May 8, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  60. KC - Ohio

Jack, I wouldn't believe Pelosi if she said tomorrow was Saturday.

Her time is up.

May 8, 2009 at 2:31 pm |
  61. Lyons-Philadelphia, PA

I believe she knew. What difference does it make. Torture wasn't her call. Let's not get off point and forget who is responsible for this disservice to America......

May 8, 2009 at 2:32 pm |
  62. George from Los Angeles

I don't know, Jack. Her photo-op smiles aren't very reassuring. I'm gonna side with not believing her until evidence shows otherwise.

Besides, I'm not going to be critical only about the Bush administration on the topic of torture. I will criticize everyone, regardless of political affiliation, responsible for compromising our laws and international obligations.

May 8, 2009 at 2:33 pm |
  63. DON IN WESTPORT, MASS.

I don't know if she is lying or not but there is one way of finding out.
    I'll get the bucket, you get the water and we'll do that legal thing.

May 8, 2009 at 2:34 pm |
  64. Lance Schumacher

Jack, you must be kidding. Nancy couldn't speak the straight truth even if she remembered what it was. She is a politician and her world is made up of twisted logic, vague inuendoes, and outright lies. She knew what was going on, all she is really saying is that she doesn't think anyone has a record/recording of her being told "We are engaging in torture" so she hopes noone will link her to the memos so she can continue to point and accuse the Republicans for political gain.
    Lance, Ridgecrest, Ca

May 8, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  65. odessa

i believe her because gop elected officials are trying to destroy her creditibilty about waterboardings or torture memos..the only thing i wished that she had never done was take impeachment off the table because bush and cheney were wrong while military officers had to serve prison time,demoted or quit.pelosi got to show some guts to the republicans and democrats that the country needs improvement for economic reasons.what she should say to the republicans is "they have lost and it's time to move on".i rather see bush officials going to jail for being irresponisble on our military and their lives.pelosi should stay strong and fight back against republicans coz all they know is how to win and forget all americans in this country who work for a living.

May 8, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  66. David from California

No, I don't believe Pelosi, or any other politician. All politicians think they are smarter and better than the rest of us and that we are too dumb and too emotionally and intellectually immature to handle the truth. It is not the least bit surprising that Pelosi and probably many other Democrats knew about and supported American acts of torture. All these elected federal officials take an oath to support and defend the Constitution, but what they care about is power not the rule of law.

May 8, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  67. Tom from Philly

I believe she wasnt told we have guys strapped to boards right now with their heads under water. But there is a difference between what possibly might and what definitely is going on. I am not inclined to trust the nancy, but im more inclined to disbieve anything bush or any of his officials say said or will say

May 8, 2009 at 2:48 pm |
  68. David Alexandria, VA

No - absolutely not. Even if she was only told that the methods had been approved for use, her lack of objection at the time does not square with her morale outrage of today. If she was concerned then, she should have pressed the issue at the time.

She has at best bent the truth so far as to consititue a lie. She is a liar and having a liar as the Speaker of the House is unacceptable.

Whether you believe the actions torture or not or justified in the moment or not, she should be impeached.

She probably voted for the war and now denies that, too

May 8, 2009 at 2:48 pm |
  69. Sandra from Texas

Jack,
    I know you do not like Nancy Pelosi, but the documents do not prove anything. The only time she was briefed mentions "enhanced interrogation techniques" but does not mention waterboarding on Abu Zubaydah. Waterboarding is mentioned in later meetings in which she was not present. In a letter to Congress Panetta says the documents may not be accurate. This is why we need an investigation to find out who knew what and when.
    I believe her until something proves she is not telling the truth. Let's be fair. These CIA documents do not prove anything.

May 8, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  70. Derek from Brooklyn Center, MN

I don't believe Nancy Pelosi because she was the minority leader until 2006 when she became the Speaker of the House, and having those important jobs in the House of Representatives means that she knew what was going on in every committee – including classified information. For Nancy Pelosi to come out now and say that she didn't know about the torturing of prisoners is in my opinion dishonest and is just another politician covering their own tail while demanding the prosecution of the others who were involved in the illegal acts that she knew about and at the time did nothing about.

May 8, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  71. LM from Fayetteville, NC

No. The confusion is why is she lying. I watched her on Rachel's program and she talked me into believing her at that time. Now, no way. Too many people saying other things. Perhaps the lights were on but no one was home on the day of the briefing and she sat through a highly classified briefing on a serious subject and did not hear a word or worse, misinterpreted what she heard. If such happened, she needs to be replaced. Either she is lying or the records are cooked. Some one has been in the sun too long.

May 8, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  72. Jayne

Although I'm not a fan of the Speaker, I think Mrs. Pelosi is and has been a truthful person so I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. It's curious media outlets are not reporting the text of Leon Panetta's letter that accompanied the recently released CIA papers. He says, in a nutshell, the information provided cannot be guaranteed as accurate because it was not acquired through first hand information, but rather gleaned "after the fact."

May 8, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  73. pat in lexington, ky.

Sorry to say – NO, I don't.

May 8, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  74. Scott - Dallas, TX

Do I believe Nancy Pelosi? Do I believe any politician, from any party, about anything?

No. She isn't trustworthy, neither are the Democrats, and neither are the Repulblicans.

I no longer have any faith in my government at any level. Time and again both parties have shown they care nothing for the interests of the American citizens.

May 8, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  75. vern-anaheim,ca

in 1 word answer to your question jack,"NO"

May 8, 2009 at 3:07 pm |
  76. Richard, Syracuse, NY

I will believe Speaker Pelosi long before the Bush Administration. After all they told us previously they did not Torture. And we know that is a lie. We were told about WMD, and we know that was a lie, We were told about connections from Iraq and 9/11 and we know that was a lie.

So who are you going to believe?

May 8, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  77. D - Atlanta, GA

No Jack, I don’t believe her. Because of the public outcry over torture (f/k/a enhanced interrogations), she is now doing what is expedient (a little C.Y.A.). She knew and did not have the backbone or political will to stand up and say something.

May 8, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  78. Robert in Fayetteville, Ar.

May 8, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  79. Jay in Texas

No, I don't believe Pelosi for a second. I lost whatever faith I had in her when she became Speaker and one of her first actions in that position was to say that "impeachment is off the table" after the 2006 campaign where Democrats all over the country were promising to get tough on Bush and Associates and end the illegal wars.
    Brownwood, Texas

May 8, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  80. K

Talk about selective memory. I wouldn't believe her if her tongue were notorized, she was given truth serum and connected to a lie detector.

May 8, 2009 at 3:21 pm |
  81. Gigi

Neither Party is totally honest but I would believe her over the Republican party. It is just like them to give a little information and hold back the complete plan. Then if caught they could say the Democrats were informed. But then again have you ever met a totally honest politician?

Oregon

May 8, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  82. Jack Martin

No! She went along to get along just like many of the Democrats who were spineless wimps during the eight years of disasters. The Republicans are, once again, trying to deflect their guilty responsibility by the "they knew it too" defense. Hopefully, neither side will get away with it.
    Jack in Boynton Beach Florida

May 8, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  83. Michael

Yes, I believe her. The prior administration only thinks they told Congress what they were doing. My guess is they used so many weasel words that no one, except for maybe Carl Rove, had any clue what they were being told. When the administration systematically lied about everything, why would anyone believe they told the truth in this case.

May 8, 2009 at 3:30 pm |
  84. J.Johnson

I say unless you have written, visual or audio proof to prove otherwise, you must take the speaker at her at her word. Whomever leaked a penned CIA note to say different should present themselves to the public for questioning., Otherwise this story appears to be a plant.

Geez, when will the public and the press quick being so gullible???!

May 8, 2009 at 3:30 pm |
  85. Randy from Salt Lake City

Yeah, right. It's a fact. She was told and she signed-off on it. She's a liar and should be investigated along with the criminals Bush and Cheney.

May 8, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  86. Joe Pecarich Wabasha, Mn

Jack,
    I believe Pelosi is just another lying liberal. As far as I am concerned Pelosi, Frank and Dodd should all go bowling together and compare notes.

May 8, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  87. Roland(St George,UT)

No! If Nancy Pelosi came up to me and told me the sky was blue, I'd question what group she was pandering to.

May 8, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  88. Greg in Indianapolis

No. She has been a terrible Speaker of the House and has been a prime example of how ineffective Congress really is.

May 8, 2009 at 3:40 pm |
  89. Susan in Texas

Jack, I do tend to believe her. First, she has been pushing for an investigation. Why would she do so if there was evidence that would potentially implicate her in a conspiricy to commit war crimes? Second, the CIA does have something to lose if investigations go forward & they have a motivation to prevent such investigation. Third, the CIA has already said that it doesn't have all the records, why not?Fourth, what Pelosi has said about this has been consistant - she said that she was briefed about the techniques, that they were legal, but not that they were being used.

May 8, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  90. Bill in Beaverton, Oregon

Yes, I believe her and not anything the past administration says they said. The Bushies lied to our country to take us into war, its not beyond them to lie again to cover their rears.

May 8, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  91. Patty.D. Bristol, Pa.

Dear Jack, I don't know what to believe anymore. But I do know this, We have to investigate everyone who was involved with this travesty. I don't care if they are Republican or Democrat. In order to move forward as a nation, we have to get to the bottom of this. It is the only way to regain or standing in the world.

May 8, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  92. Clyde

Yes I believe the speaker; simply because Chaney, not Bush and Company were arrogant enough to tell Congress what the possiblities were while they were doing it and justifying it by creating obivious weak legal justifications. Just the Facts:
    1) Weapons of Mass Destruction
    2) Rendition
    3) Saddam and 911
    4) (2) Wars and nothing on the books$
    5) Valarie Plame
    6) Pat Tillman
    7) Abu Garib
    8) Small Pox scare etc.....

May 8, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  93. Irv Lilley

Jack, NO. But the question is what was she told ? How was she told? Was it first hand or was it by some one beholden to the WH?

May 8, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  94. Ed Woodbridge,Va.

NO! If there is someone out there that believes Speaker Pelosi was not aware of the torture going on, I have some prime oceanfront property located in Reno, Nevada, that I want to sell to them! Of course she knew what was going on! This question can be put to rest once and for all, by simply asking Speaker Pelosi to submit to a polygraph examination! If they hooked her up to a polygraph she would fold like a tent and admit that she knew that torture was taking place!

May 8, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  95. Jim from Chicago

In the end, it doesn't really matter if Pelosi was told about the procedures. She was under oath to keep quiet about it. Do you really think the torture-happy cowboy and his Darth Vader sidekick would have paid any attention to her concerns anyway? As they saw it, that would have been too French.

May 8, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  96. Nancy in Albuquerque, NM

No, she is not believable. She was read into the procedures used at Gitmo. For that reason she denies all knowledge. She and the other congressmen are equally liable for prosecution.
    The truth is, the news media has been reporting on the torture methods used since the war begain. We all knew.

May 8, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  97. Linda in Arizona

I believe she was told just enough, and the information was phrased in such a way that she could plausibly deny knowing it was torture. I don't think she, or any other Democrats, were "in the loop". Cheney/bush et al, told them only what was necessary so that later, they could say they had informed members of Congress.

May 8, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  98. Kevin

Yes I believe her. After all, we were all told that prisoners weren't being tortured. I don't think she was told any differently. Now surely the former administration wouldn't say one thing and do something different would they? Oh by the way, I have some property for sale. Interested?

May 8, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  99. Nelson, Somerdale, NJ

May 8, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  100. Nicole from atlanta

No I don not believe Nancy Pelosi. Obviously she is lying because everytime she is asked about it her story changes! However who cares if she knew or not. All those methods of torture had to used so the CIA could learn more information about terrorists and their attack plans.

May 8, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  101. bob, oshawa, ontario

Hi, Jack, She apparently was informed of enhanced interrogation techniques and therefore knew that some form of torture was being carried out. The Bush administration also had the same knowledge and someone probably gave orders to use the techniques. The question now becomes, who cares? I don't believe anyone in the past administration will be called to answer for these deeds as more urgent matters need to be attended to even though some accounting is justified.

May 8, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  102. Mike – Denver, CO

She knew, and did nothing. People are charged with beeing accessories after the fact for many crimes, why should we treat our politicians any different?

May 8, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  103. Chad from Los Angeles, CA

No, not really, but what could she do? Cheney would have had her offed if she opposed anything during the Bush Regime!

May 8, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  104. Dan from Alliance, OH

May 8, 2009 at 4:03 pm |
  105. Greg Mechanicsburg, PA

I trust Nancy Pelosi as much as I trust any politician; as far as I can throw them. I believe there should be a full investigation and everyone who had a hand in authorizing torture should be brought to justice, and that includes those who had intimate knowledge regarding its use and, by their silence, condoned its use. I say, everyone who had a hand in it should be put to the board until they confess and beg for mercy.

May 8, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  106. michael armstrong sr.

mike armstrong sr. sherman tx. jack a lady that looks so sincere and honest as lovely little nancy with the disposithion of a sucubus . the answer is no. i wouldnt believe any thing that woman says shes just a spoild rottin rich lady whos used to getting her way no matter if she has to lie cheat or steal to accomplish her goal.

May 8, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  107. Doug

Jack, Nancy and her memory must have been something before electricity. I'll give her the doubt of the benefit on this one. (New Jersey)

May 8, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  108. Lil from TN

No, Jack, and I'm a Democrat.

May 8, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  109. rob

Pelosi is lying says this liberal from San Fancisco...

May 8, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  110. Johanna

Either her memory is rather short or she is simply not telling the truth.

May 8, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  111. Doris

I believe Nancy. I'm sick of the GOP haters.

May 8, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  112. Donna

No, I don't believe her. Will we ever see the day when politicians stand behind thier decisions, good and bad, and tell the truth?

May 8, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  113. Andrew

Of course she knew. She's lying or she never paid attention in the briefings. Hard to say which is worse!

May 8, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  114. Ray

May 8, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  115. Cyndy

Even though I am a Democrat I do not believe a word that comes out of this woman's mouth. Never did, never will.

May 8, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  116. drjbutler

I don't believe Pelosi for a minute. Everytime she opens her mouth, she weakens the Democratic Party. By the way, I'm a Democrat and a President Obama supporter. Perhaps we can give her to the GOP as compensation for Specter.

Jim from Boston

May 8, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  117. Eileen Curras

Wit the current behavior or politician. I do not believe Pelosi when she says she wasn’t told about torturing prisoners.‪

May 8, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  118. Angelique Reder

No, I do not believe her, as she was one of the front runners when it came to pushing congress, to give into GW Bush's demands when it came to the Patriot Act, and Terror Tactics.
    This woman set up many midnight, closed door sessions with President Bush, where bills were signed into law without proper representation.
    I was severely disappointed in President Obama's choice to keep her as the house chair.
    This woman has lied to the people repeatedly through our media, and has side stepped the proper legislative procedures to allow illegal amendments of our laws.
    I wouldn't trust that woman with my life, my money, our my country.
    The people should be demanding she resign!

May 8, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  119. Lamar I

I don't believe her. I think if it was known that she other democrats knew about this that it would strengthen the public's belief that democratic leaders do not have enough backbone to support the constitution. Isn't that their oath of office? Besides these are the same elected officials who let Bush and the phone companies off the hook for illegally wiretapping us.

It appears that our constitution is enforced only when politically expedient.

BTW, I am a liberal and tend to vote democrat but this is just unacceptable.

May 8, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  120. Garrett

I honestly don't believe her at all, and although I usually side with the Democrats views, I have to agree with the republican spokesman when they stated that they are only denying this now that it has been made public.

May 8, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  121. D. Harvey

She either knew and is lying, or didn't do her job correctly in the first place. Either way, she's not the person that we, the American public, deserve to be sitting in that position.

May 8, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  122. David, Sisters, OR

Jack of course not. I'm 58, first president I voted for was Tricky Dick. It took a while but I finally figured out that you take what a politican says, divide it in half, take what's left divide it in half and put it in the closet, take what's left and throw it out, what your left with is the truth.

May 8, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  123. Ingrid

Nope, don't believe her for a minute..

May 8, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  124. Dan Thompson

I believe Nancy is lying to suit her needs.

May 8, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  125. Lisa

No, I do not believe Pelosi. In fact, everytime I see her in an interview or on TV, I get the feeling she is always posturing and we never quite get the truth about anything from her. I say give her and Reid the boot! For the record, I'm a registered Independent and a former Democrat.

126. Bernard Clark

I believe Nancy Pelosi! During that time there was tremendous outrage over the 9/11 attacks, and many state department official were still coming out of a state of shock at allowing such an attack on our homeland. Many people were running around to avoid the chopping block for being asleep at the wheel. Bottom line, it's all smoke and mirrors and should be dropped out of the national discussion.

Bernard Wesley Clark Jr.

127. Mike

Believe Pelosi? No way! She and Harry Reid will be thorns in Obama's side.

128. jbar

Yes. I mean how could anyone believe one way or the other of
    what Bush & Cheney was saying !.

129. Dr. Stanley Bramnick

The answer to the question as to whether I believe Nancy Pelosi on the matter of waterboarding? Simply stated NO

130. Al, Omaha

Pelosi is Lying and needs to go! Im an Independent that voted for Obama and Pelosi is just a drag on this country.

131. Mary Arace

I am a female, progressive, liberal Democrat from California. I don't believe a word she says.
    Mary
    Fullerton, CA

132. Aba

No. She did know about it

133. Jeff-Marietta Ga

I believe that they all knew. Republicans and Democrats. They just choose to look the other way untill the time was right. Know it's the "Holier that Thou" show for all of them. We need to throw ALL of the bums out of Washington!

134. steve

Absolutely not! I am so tired of the hypocrisy of our representatives on both sides of the aisle. The day you show me an honest representative is the day I start believing in this country again.

135. d. colorado

136. Harold Green Sr. /San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

No I don't!!!
    Nancy Pelosi is the ass of the Democratic Party like Sarah Palin is the weaving trunk of the Republican Party.

137. Jayne

In a word NO. San Fran Nan got caught in a lie. But we don't have journalist anymore who seem to care about getting to the truth of a story. Jayne, Fullerton, CA.

138. DannyH

whether Nanci Palosi knew or not is irelavent. There should be an investigation and prosecutions for those who violated US and International law.

Isn't this in the jurisdiction of the Justice dept to start with or can people vote on who is above the laws?

139. Doris, TX

Of course I believe her. Everyone knows that the Republicans are the warmongers. They love stirring up trouble–which is what they are trying to do now.

May 8, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  140. Jim, Wilkes-Barre PA

Pelosi is one of the most liberal members of Congress. If she really did know, I highly doubt she would be able to stand for it. What could she have gained from knowing about torture and not acting on it? Had she known she would have been able to take down Bush/Cheney, who we all know she and the rest of the democrats were not fond of.

May 8, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  141. julie

Of course she's lying! You can see it on her face.

May 8, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  142. steve q

NO, that's why impeachment was off the table

May 8, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  143. Ed from Tallahassee Florida

I think that Nancy Pelosi didn't know, or if she did know anything about it that they didn't really tell her how bad it was.

I doubt the Bush White House would have told her anything that she could have used against them. It's not their style, and it's not Nancy Pelosi's style to have a card that big and not play it.

May 8, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  144. Marietta

Yes I believe Pelosi,, I do not believe Bush cheney went in and told her they were torturing...Pelosi is no stupid woman and they knew Pelosi knew International Law..and this would break that law
    ....I believe they discussed different avenues..but nothing was agreed upon or told they were using torture or going to torture. Pelosi would of had a ourage on that one.. so I believe the soothsayers might of mislead with their statements used, you think? this is all a set up..

May 8, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  145. Richard W. Emery

I would not believe anything Ms. Pelosi says. She is so partisan that she would say anything she thinks she could get away with.

146. Lynn

She knew about it and the use of it. She is just another politician that thinks Americans are stupid.

147. Randy from Ma.

No she has been proven a less then truthfull person again. Our fed. gov. can not be trusted.

148. James

Does it matter? If she knew that they were going to do it but did not object isn't she guilty as well. If a crime was committed she is an accomplice!
    (An accomplice is either an accessory or an abettor. The accessory aids a criminal prior to his crime, whereas the abettor aids him during the act itself.)

I think the whole thing is a political witch hunt!

149. Kim

Officially I don't think that she was inform the details or exactly what the Bush camp was doing but I'm sure that knows at the back of her mind she knows.

150. Patty Bilger

Look Jack I don't want to be judge anyone on this torture deal, but I have to ask myself why would anyone believe a Rep on this subject seeings how they will not hold Bush or his White House staff accountable for any of their actions.

So I do believe The Speaker of the House over any Rep.

151. Robert - Louisville, Ky

I am inclined to believe her, but what I believe that seems relevant is this: The Bush people could easily meet with her and others, say one thing, and then write a memo which describes the conversation differently. You know they have a track record with memos coming out the way they need them to. I would not put this past them, so I say give her the benefit of the doubt.

152. Mark

Pretty simple. She was briefed "only" "once" so she didn't know.

What is the big deal anyway?

153. Bob Burgoyne

Jack, in short, "absolutely not!!!"

Bob Burgoyne, Hawkins Texas

154. Joseph in TX

As a Democrat, I have no problem telling she's lying. She's a Congressman, and most importantly the most powerful Congresswoman in the country, so naturally it's not surprising that she's a liar and a hypocrite. She should have just come out and admitted to being briefed, and then just explain why. Something about being in a high federal position seems to take away people's common sense.

155. DAN BUZASH

She's a politician Jack and they tell lies until the truth comes out and then they spin it. The CIRCUS that is politics is all about protecting their own interests. For me politicians are CLOWNS and the doublespeak that comes out of their mouths is laughable.........time to get some more popcorn and cotton candy JACK......THE CIRCUS NEVER ENDS.

156. mineshbaxi

No, I do not trust Nancy Pelosi. She will say or do anything to keep her power. She removed minority party input on the House floor – a practice initiated by Newt Gingrich.

157. Marty

I wouldn't believe Nancy Pelosi if she told me it got dark outside when the sun went down. California, why is she still in office?

158. George in Sonora, CA

Pelosi has always given me the impression that she's incompetent, her not remembering about being told about so called torlure techniques is par for the course.

159. Mr Dean n Seattle

Yes I believe her. where does the public get to judge what shes has read or hasn't? shes doing a great job in this congress with all the nay sayers.
    only her concious can question her not us.....

May 8, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  160. Donald in CA

NO, i have been a Pelosi fan but it looks like she got caught up in the witch hunt. When she started tap dancing when asked the question, it was obvious she knew.

May 8, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  161. M

I do not believe anything Pelosi says. When she opens her mouth, it is more times than not, either a lie or misleading comment. She makes me; a 52 year old woman, the daughter of a long time Democratic politician, embarrassed to say I am a life-long Democrat. She is an embarrassment to our political system and should be removed immediately. In fact, she should have been removed years ago.

She and her office of talking heads will surely issue another denial statement although only those Americans who think with the political leanings and not their heads, will believe her. Those of us who use our brains for thinking, know that she was feeding the public complete falsehoods. Shame on her!

I believe that she is, as teenagers would say, a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

May 8, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  162. Charles

Nancy Pelosi like most politicians uses the truth only when it's convenient for her agenda. I fully believe she knew exactly what was going on in Guantanomo Bay. Although she could have missed it when she was busy using military aircraft for her personal use.

Charles
    Naples, Fl

May 8, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  163. Dan from Seattle

Jack, I dont believe Speaker Pelosi. After watching her for many years, she is a politician through and through. She, like other Democrats who knew of the interogation techniques, feigned outrage purely for public support and to paint them as more moral than their Republican counterparts. Republicans would have done the same thing, thats politics in this country these days

May 8, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  164. Cindy Mercer

I believe she is lying. In fact any time she and her groupies(Harry Reid,etc) are talking they tend to evade the truth.

Cindy Mercer
    Lancaster, PA

May 8, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  165. Kate

No – I don't believe most of what Nancy Pelosi says. I'm a democrat – but like most of my friends – democrat or republican – I can't stand Nancy Pelosi and believe she is a very negative and divisive figure. I would even go so far as to say she is an embarrassment to the democratic party..

May 8, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  166. Ray

May 8, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  167. walter mauzaka

impeach Pelosi. We've had enough lying from the previous administration.

May 8, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  168. David Hust

I do NOT believe her. I think she was probably not paying attention, but she was in the briefings and is now trying to get out of the hole she has dug for herself.

May 8, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  169. Conner

As a political science major I’m very aware that both republicans and democrats employ the convenient excuse of ignorance to escape the public’s criticism. I think Nancy is being dishonest, but there’s no hard proof. Still, it’s highly possible and even probable that she was aware of the US torture tactics.

May 8, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  170. Elvira R. Martinez

No, I do not believe her. She and a lot of others knew about this. I am very concerned about the threat to our national security that can result as a result of all this posturing by Ms. Pelosi and others. Elvira

May 8, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  171. Paul

Yes, I believe her until it is definitely shown she HAD lied.This isn't about Pelosi anyway.Its about the people that did ordered the torture.Very typical of CNN to try to redirect the truth.

May 8, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  172. Dave in Texas

No, I don't believe her. At the time, we were very concerned about another terrorist attack, and we were willing to take "extreme" measures to prevent it. Now, 8 years later, we have forgotten how frightened everyone was at the time. Nancy Pelosi no doubt, as others, knew about the extreme measures and felt they were justified to prevent another attack. Americans need to realize that we have enemies willing and anxious to torture us, and all our concern about torturing them makes us look weak in their eyes.

May 8, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  173. Mike

Jack,

That would be asking me to believe in polititions, Which has always been against my religious believes. We'll at least over the last 8 years anyway..

Mike.

May 8, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  174. Ed Reed

No. I believe the key players were co-opted into going along with the both the torture and illegal electronic surveillance programs to protect their political hides. I've often wondered how Hitler turned the Christian German people into monsters in only ten years. I'm finally beginning to understand.

Ed Reed
    Port Aransas, TX

May 8, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  175. Ken

Did [insert politician name] lie?
    Were his/her lips moving?

Ken
    Ontario, Canada

May 8, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  176. Jen from PA

Absolutely not Jack. I don't believe much of anything she has to say and I'm a democrat who voted for Obama. I'd like her and Harry Reid to both go away.

May 8, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  177. Dorothy, NY PALIN/BUSH 2010 (not anothe BUSH)

Jack!!!!

I beleive they told her what they wanted her to know. They did not disclosed everythink.Only enough to make her and every one thinks they were involve.
    They told us what they want us to know about the WAR. Then later claimed we know everything.
    So in conclusion I think they told her enough to make her feel involve but not enough to Question they methods

May 8, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  178. Eric Williams

Jack -

Who cares what Pelosi knew. Our "estemed" government knows what is, has, or was back durring the Bush years. We must face the facts, that is the PAST.

Lets move on. We are loosing our homes and jobs. Lets resolve our current issues first before we dig into the past.

I am most sure that most people are more interested in knowing if our congress is working on resolving our housing issue and persuing United States Senate Bill 61, or House Resolution Bill 1106.

Lets talk about something we can "fix" now. Once this task is put behind us, then go back and investigate Pelosi, Bush, or any other cabinate member for willfully knowing what was transpiring.

Eric.

May 8, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  179. Larry Hoffman

There's an old sayiing. " How can you tell if a polititian is lying? "
    Answer....If his lips are moving. Or, in this case, if Her lips are moving. She knew, and she lied to cover her own....uh...gluteous maximus. It's what we now expect our polititians to do. It's what we teach our children to accept as normal behavior. Our country needs a healthy dose of ethics education, and morality redirection. Where should we start?

May 8, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  180. Mike in Colorado

There were two people briefed on 9/8/02, Goss then a congressman and Nancy Pelosi. This sounds like a he said she said to me. The CIA has said they don't know what they were told.

May 8, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  181. David A Evans

Pelosi is a politician a lie should not surprise anyone. Democrats/Republican need to stop passing the buck on torture. They ALL knew and as far as I see it gave the previous administration everything on a golden platter and without question. Take your knocks Pelosi!

May 8, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  182. Julie - Elizabethtown, Kentucky

What does it matter who knew what and when? Torture is illegal, no matter who knew about it. The president knew about it, Dick Cheney knew about it, the whole bunch of them knew about it. It doesn't matter what party they belong to, they were all wrong, Jack. I have no loyalty to Nancy Pelosi just because she belongs to the Democratic party. She proved herself useless when she took impeachment off the table to stop these criminals and hold them accountable for many other crimes, not just war crimes. Was Nancy supposed to stop all of this if she knew about it...AFTER the fact? I don't understand what you are really asking? Does this change anything? NO! Torture is still illegal.....The End.

May 8, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  183. Lena from California

We don't know the answer to your question.

That's the reason we need an Independent Counsel or an Independent Truth Commission to "root out" the truth... wherever that truth may lead.

May 8, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  184. Rick from Ct

Hi Jack

To be honest I don't care if Nancy knew or didn't know, she didn't pull the trigger. The bottom line is who gave the order, don't you think maybe we should talk to them, anything else is just smoke and I'm so tiered of just look at smoke. THE BUCK STOPS AT WHO GAVE THE ORDER.
    Lets face it nothing is going to be done because the law only applies to us suckers

May 8, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  185. Rao

Nancy Pelosi like others in the congress and senate are intensely political animals – reacting to the politics of the moment. Their politics is one of expediency and so are the policies and laws they make...in such a culture, to expect any politician to tell the truth and stand by it is simply unrealistic.

Pelosi being informed or not is not central to the issue. That torture is done and authorized by the executive is the central issue. Just spreading the guilt by informing a few law makers does not make it any less of a crime! Keeping quiet then and spewing moral outrage now is just good old politics – as disgusting as it is.

May 8, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  186. Peter M

Yes, I believe the Madam Speaker. She has no reason to lie.

May 8, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  187. Joe, San Luis Obispo

If she didn't know, she didn't want to know. Because of her position, she should have looked into the reports (Steve Miles, "Oath Betrayed" etc) that detailed the abuses. CNN and other major media also ignored this story and could have better fulfilled their responsibility if they had made an active inquiry into these matters.

May 8, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  188. Joe in Wilkinson

May 8, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  189. Mike from Fairfax

I absolutely do not believe her. She is just grandstanding to score political points. It is shameful that she puts the well being of our enemies against our Nations safety!! I agree with some others that say she should resign...Nancy Pelosi is part of the problem and not part of the solution.

May 8, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  190. Nicky/Virginia

Yes, I believe she believes no one brief her on interrogation methods which included water boarding and any other extreme torture. Remember everything the Bush Administration was under executive orders and decisions – and we Americans did nothing or said anything to our representatives to stand-up and stop this. How many among us knew interrogation methods would include extreme torture and water boarding? We only see this in the Bond movies Stop judging – lest ye be judged.

May 8, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  191. BillOReits

Sure, she was probably given some kind of briefing after the fact and she was likely told she couldn't divulge anything because it was classified. The briefing was thus designed as a CYA and thats the ways its being used. The Bushies were masters at covering their tracks.

May 8, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  192. heather whitefish, mt

No I do not believe that Senator Pelosi was unaware of methods used in interrogation. I have seen such unprofessional bias and lack of accountability from her – it is unbelieveable to me that a person such as her has been given such a position of power. I see her as vindictive

May 8, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  193. John Gulla

Is she lying? You can bet she is. PUTNAM VALLEY, NEW YORK

May 8, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  194. LJJ

Jack, she is as pure as the rest of the yellow snow that flies around in Washington. What really amazes me is depending on which way the election winds are blowing determines what a politician can actually remember. They all knew about this. They all were briefed about all of the stuff that went on. There is a reason they are called our leaders in the House and the Senate. They are all involved in the policies of our country. Some years one party has more power than another, but there are no secrets. They knew about it and they all sanctioned it. If they did not like it, they had the opportunities to stop it or leak it to the media. Leahy name always seemed to pop up when something new was like to the press during the Bush years? Most of us are not that stupid. Stop embarrassing yourselves!!!!!! Please.

May 8, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  195. jay

Asking me if I believe Sen. Pelosi never knew knew about the US torturing prisoners is like asking me if The Cubs will win the World Series.

May 8, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  196. Andrew in Pinehurst, NC

The idea of suggesting that Nancy would tell a lie is an outrage! Have you fallen off Nancy's water board? OF COURSE SHE'S LYING! This is further proof that she and other "leaders" will do anything to make the Bush administration look worse than they were.

Frankly, Republicans hope that she continues making a fool of herself.

May 8, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  197. Ronin

Ms, Pelosi is a hypocrite and a lier...

She does what is best for her and her husband and has no regards for America.

Look at her records... She uses her position for personal gains for her family at the expense of the American tax payer by steering contracts to her husbands company plus sweet deals for herself...

California surly should be able to find a more qualified person who stands up for America first.

May 8, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  198. steven bower

Steve from Paris Tn. Absolutely not! why did Nancy Pelosi recieve this job when the retired General Democrat was favored? Nancy Pelosi being speaker of the house certainly a powerfull position and lack of backbone represents Strength this country so desperately needs after all " the people have spoken and We the Democrats have listened" 2 years later!

May 8, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  199. Theresa

I believe she knew more than she would like to admit. Sometimes there is a hefty price to be paid for trying to protect one's country and knowledge can be a very heavy burden. I do wish politicians and leaders could be afforded the chance to say 'I wish I could have handled that differently, although I was doing the best I could at the time.' and not be cruicified on the national stage. We are all human and prone to make mistakes- big, little and huge.

May 8, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  200. Donna Colorado Springs,Co

Nancy Pelosi really hasn't impressed me very much since taking office, so I really don't know if I completely trust her now to tell the truth about what she was or wasn't told. The jury is still out to lunch on that one for me!

May 8, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  201. Allan Horn - St. Petersburg, FL

Frankly it doesn't matter in the least to me if ANYONE believes Pelosi... and if we wanted to hear from the Republicans, we would have voted for more of them last November.

They had their chance to do all of the right things and didn't do ANY of them... now we want to make sure NO ONE ever does any of these despicable things again.

The only way we can be sure of that is to drag Cheney's skid-marked laundry out into the light of day for all to see.

May 8, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  202. Ed Lindsay

Jack,

When was the last time that a politician was held accountable
    for not telling the truth?

Ed in Texas

May 8, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  203. Bill from pa

Nobody was happier than me to see the end of the right -wing fanatic rule in 2008. But some of the motives and tactics of the replacements come into question. Especially "off the table" Pelosi, her response to those seeking justice for the criminal and immoral outrages carried out by the Bushies. No, I don't think she carries alot of credibility in light of that.

May 8, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  204. frankie

I believe that what matters, is that President Obama is changing this government and creating an atmosphere in which people will not get sucked into that mentality, whether on purpose or not.

May 8, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  205. Spencer

In a word...NO. I don't believe anything that comes out of Nancy Pelosi's mouth (or many other politicians). She needs to make sure someone on her staff takes good notes so she doesn't stumble over one of her lies again. They hear and believe only what they want. If you were even told it COULD happen, wouldn't you speak up? If you knew about it, you should go.

May 8, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  206. George

I don't care what she knew. Torture is wrong. If you accept Cheney's position, would it then be acceptable for local police to use "enhanced interrogation" to get confessions from suspected felons?

May 8, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  207. Annmarie W.

Of course I believe what Pelosi had to say! Don't you? Just like "we" believed in Bush when he stated, "Mission Accomplished" ofrom the aircrafyt carrier on October 30, 2003! How dare he say that when so many husbands, wives, moms, dads, grand parents, etc.have lost a lot of loved one. He lied to people around the world. How can he look at people today after saying that. So you ask why should we believe when less than half of the population

May 8, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  208. Don from Denver

Jack,

Pelosi is a career politician and an habitual liar. She conveniently remembers things in way that they will not hurt her career. She has never taken any responsibility for any of her wrongful actions. In her position of power there is no way that she was not briefed on what was occuring. She simply chose, at the time, not to take any action. It's embarrassing now, that people are questioning the integrity of the CIA and their record keeping as opposed to holding Pelosi responsible for her own lies.

May 8, 2009 at 4:36 pm |