April 28th, 2009

Has fear of swine flu changed your life?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Drastic measures are being taken to prevent the spread of swine flu in many countries around the world - including Mexico, which is the eye of the swine flu hurricane. But in the U.S. the response has been more muted.

Only 64 cases of swine flu have been diagnosed here so far - and the majority of these people apparently became ill after traveling to Mexico. Compare that to Mexico's 1,600 cases and more than 150 deaths linked to the swine flu.

Newsweek reports that public health officials suggest the virus probably won't hit us as hard as our neighbors to the South. For one thing, the anti-terror training that took place after 9/11 makes American hospitals better prepared to handle a pandemic.

The U.S. also has more resources: more hospitals, facilities for doctors and nurses, better critical care, and with large quantities of drugs that can treat influenza.

Also, the government's declaring a public health emergency should help, because it can act more aggressively. And, if people are freaking out a bit, they're also more likely to wash their hands, get treated, etc., which can all help keep swine flu from spreading.

In this country some schools have closed, others have told kids not to shake hands. Pharmacies in New York reported that paper face masks were selling by the box; while New Mexico set up a swine flu hot line. One Chicago hospital required anyone entering to use a liquid disinfectant.

Here’s my question to you: Has the fear of swine flu changed your life in any way?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Melissa writes:
I think the media is making it worse than it has to be. It’s just the flu like any other. If you cause a general panic just to get ratings, you're going to make it worse. No, it hasn't changed my life. I already do all the suggested things and try to avoid all the media hype about the world ending because of the swine flu.

Brent writes:
Remember SARS? This virus had just as much potential to become a pandemic as the Swine Flu, but it was contained. I'm not the least bit afraid of this newest virus, and I'm in one of the higher risk groups who need to take special care during every flu season.

D. from Atlanta writes:
Unfortunately, yes. We have a trip planned to Cancun in the middle of June to celebrate a friend's 25th wedding anniversary and vow renewal ceremony. However, we’re deciding if we are going to cancel the trip or take our chances. According to the CDC, we should not plan any trips to affected areas for the next three months. Personally, I don't think it’s worth the risk to go.

Donna from Colorado Springs writes:
No. We all need to keep up with all information available and take ordinary precautions such as hand washing and avoidance of people who seem sick, but my everyday life hasn't changed. Maybe this is all being overblown, as some have said, but we should all be cautious right now until we see how bad it might become.

Sherry from California writes:
Yes, I am one of many who do not have health coverage. I will wear gloves in public markets or anywhere I have to touch something I know has been touched by another person. 35,000 die each year from flu viruses. No crowds for me. I am patient and know how to stay home.

John from Alabama writes:
Jack, I wash my hands more each day. I try and stay out of places where large crowds might gather. I try to sneeze into something other than my hands. I am glad I do not have to give up bacon or ham.

Janet writes:
Yes, I can get a whole seat to myself on the train into work if I sit and oink quietly.

Filed under: Health
  1. Karen - Missouri

No, not any more than the usual flu season.

April 28, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  2. Tony of Louisiana

Well Jack,

The answer to your question is alittle,now I am paying alittle more attention to flu related symptoms, because I have a little one. Also, some of my family members, now saying until they clearly define this flu and how did it spread, they are staying away from pork, period.

April 28, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  3. Lothar

The swine flu has made me dislike people more. That is about it.

This is not a story. Once hundreds of people are dieing and there is no way to stop it, then it becomes something that should be on the TV 24/7

That is not happening and all the media coverage is a waste of time and doing nothing but scary the sheep.

April 28, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  4. Maurice - Two Rivers, WI

No. I have been to Mexico 3 times in the last month and feel fine. If the media, that is you Jack, would get off this flu thing a lot of people would not be scared to death. Quit over playing every story that is a non issue.

Maurice
    Two Rivers, Wisconsin

April 28, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  5. arlene in iowa

no, the swine flu hasn't changed my life in any way..i have kept a bottle of sanitizer in my purse for a long time now..i think if you are careful about keeping your hands clean and not touching your face you will weather this flu like the others.so much for the flu shot.

April 28, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  6. David,San Bernardino,CA.

I think we have all become afraid of our own shadows.

April 28, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  7. sean gibson

Jack,
    Today was the start of my work week. I have to admit, I looked for the hand sanitizer before I left for work this morning. Other than that, the swine flu outbreak has not changed my life. I think that it is being overblown. More people died of the regular flu or some other disease today, than have died since the outbreak was first reported. This is definitely not your Steven King "The Stand" type of situation. If people don't continue to die, the media will be on to the next story. I predict that by next week, the next big story will have bumped this swine flu off the front page. That's the way it goes, unless we all get swine flu and there is no one left to report on it.

Sean Gibson
    Wa.

April 28, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  8. Jeff in Glen Carbon IL

I wasn't planning to go to Mexica this quarter, but if I was, I would be cancelling.

April 28, 2009 at 4:03 pm |
  9. Dennis

My God No, Is Bush still in office. I thought we were done with the scare tactics in the US. Between the fly-over in NY, the Spector defect to the Dem. party, and the swine flu, we are still a country of paranoid crazy citizens and the media feeds that.
    Why not cover the debt that was forgiven by Germany to Chrysler, 19 percent of there profit, that's billions of dollars. That hasn't been anywhere on the news.

April 28, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  10. Eugene

Dear Jack,
    The Swine Flu has my family scared because the Obama Administration is under reacting to the Swine Flu emergency much like the Bush Administration under reacted to Hurricane Katrina. They're sitting on their collective hands, while disaster strikes and an epidemic spreads. Every student at St. Francis Prep School and those exposed around the nation should have been vaccinated 2 days ago, placed in quarantine and the Mexican Border closed down, for a week.

April 28, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  11. Alan - Buxton, Maine

It has made me more likely to demand that the border between the US and Mexico be closed to illegals and drug runners. Drugs, disease and gangs have free access to this country. We are the only country in the world that allows anyone to enter anytime they choose with impunity. Do not babble about being a country of laws when our borders are open to terrorists and drug dealers and there is little or no enforcement of those laws.

April 28, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  12. Patricia

No, but it will before long. When I go to the drug store for masks tonight, I fully expect them to be sold out and I live about 2K miles north of Mexico. It's not that I think I will be likely to catch it, but if it does show up in my neighborhood, it will too late to get a mask or a flu medicine.

Boise

April 28, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  13. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Jack: I survived Vietnam as a medical corpsman--still go to work--and still worry about the "economic recovery,"---that is more fearful than the swine flu.

April 28, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  14. Jacques Dufault, Ottawa Canada

Hi,

No change in my life on acct swine flu. It's overdone. However, Specter's adhesion to Dem Party is great news, no more fillibusters, they have 60 seats. Now, I don't like Republicans all that much, as they conserve useless values, but Specter's been a maverick that I like. As to AirForce 1 and an F-16 flying over New York, I have to wonder how it is that the guy who ordered this mission is not in jail. Stupid. Lastly, how could Sen Clinton (2005) , and Napolitano and McCain last week, people who are supposed to be in the know, accuse Canada of helping 9/11 terrorists transit or come from Canada. Not ONE did, not one single one. However, more than half had green cards. Incredible. Ignorance from common mortals like me is excusable, but from high-ranking US officials? Scary. Thank you.

April 28, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  15. Liz, Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I am much more careful when in public – when in doctor's offices, I always wash my hands carefully upon entering and leaving, and I watch carefully for any signs of the swine flu in myself and others close to me. I also watch and read all I can about where the cases have been found across Canada and the U.S. and the severity of these cases. In short, I am paying very close attention to all that is happening regarding the swine flu.

April 28, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  16. Ken in ADKS

As Belushi (John), Aykryod, Morris et al would have said:

"Masks ?! We don't need no steenking Masks !!"

"Your pollen or your wife, Senor Cafferty !"

Seriously, I 'm a VietVet that's traveled to some real nasty backwaters in South America and Asia and I KNOW I've been exposed to worse that a little 'when pigs fly' (Swine/Avian?Human) flu.

Much ado about NOTHING, typically, for the ADD 247 cable 'news' be VERY afraid crew.

Ken in ADKS
    ticonderoga, NY

April 28, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  17. Billie D

Yes it has, all I need now is some more duck tape and plastic sheeting.

April 28, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  18. Ambre Abraham

Yes, it's scared me into not going to movies!

April 28, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  19. Donna Colorado Springs,Co

April 28, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  20. Sherry, N. Calif.

Yes, I am one of many who do not have health coverage. I will wear gloves in public markets or anywhere I have to touch something I know has been touched by another. 35,000 die each yr frm flu viruses. No crowds for me. I am patient and know how to stay home.

April 28, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  21. Jon Gill,philadelphia

I'm not sure yet. I'm supposed to fly out to La this weekend but now I'm wondering.
    Some of this sounds like an overreaction. If it's this mild here, why bother worrying.I do worry about my Mom though.

April 28, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  22. Roy Tacoma WA

I'm not scared of it, but a "robust" response now can spell the difference between looking back at just another scare or being in the midst of a full-fledged pandemic.

Mom was right! Wash your hands! If you have to cough, cough into your shirt, jacket, elbow or the floor. NOT into your hands! Oh! And whether you cough in your hands or not, WASH YOUR HANDS!

If we are careful nobody will remember any of this in 10 years.

Roy from Tacoma

April 28, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  23. Ken in NC

The Swine Flu? No. Swine’s in Congress, Wall Street and in the Banking Industry, yes.

April 28, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  24. David

I no longer eat raw pig imported from Mexico.

April 28, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  25. John, NC

Yes, it's given me another excuse not to go to work

April 28, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  26. Jay, Denver CO

I just heard about it today. What ever happened to the bird flu? Why aren't we all dead from it?

April 28, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  27. Jessie in Williamsburg, Brooklyn

Yeah – I'm watching more CNN! : )

April 28, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  28. Darrell in Iowa

I won't be kissing any pigs this week

April 28, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  29. Andrew

Yes: I routinely make more jokes about swine flu than I used to.

April 28, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  30. Alex San Francisco

Thats a bunch of crap jack. Absolutely not, if it did, they would win. They are not going to scare me

April 28, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  31. Charlie in Belen, New Mexico

No more than the peanut scare, or the spinich scare or the lead paint on toys from China scare, or the "Cheney's warnings that the new administration is making the country less safe" scare. The way that the media is playing up "scares", we should all hide under our beds quivering in terror from the latest boggie man......

April 28, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  32. Roanna Martin Peoria, AZ

I stopped shaking hands with pigs but thats about it.

April 28, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  33. Jamal Saint Petersburg, FL

No, here in Florida, the common cold is still causing problems, but the flu never really hit us that hard. I'm still worried about the threat of a nuclear attack, at the hands of a Pakastani base Taliban group, than a pandemic. But still, God be with us.

April 28, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  34. Jackie in Dallas

No, Jack, it hasn't. I'm taking normal precautions...that's all.

We have had frequent outbreaks of killer flus, including the Hong Kong flu, previous swine flus, not to mention the Great Spanish Flu epidemic in 1918 that killed millions world wide. We, as a country, are doing what we can by warning travelers, screening at airports, and warning the public of symptoms; we as individuals should be aware and do the right things such as stay home when ill and seek medical help - and that's the best we can do. Stay aware, try and stay healthy, avoid those with symptoms, and VERY IMPORTANT - wash your hands with soap frequently! Those are actually good steps to take even without a flu outbreak!

April 28, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  35. Greg

I work in healthcare Jack, and i can tell you, everyone has the swine flu, just like everyone had anthrax back in 2001. At least this government isnt freaking everyone out and telling them to go out and buy duct tape.

April 28, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  36. Mark

No. It never is when one of these bogus "code orange" fear flags go up. Tom Ridge desensitized me forever. But I'll bet a few of the drug companies were on their tippy toes for the past 4 days licking their chops and touching up their makeup.

April 28, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  37. Norman Hoffman

Jack,
    I'm so scared, that even though I will still ear pork, I definitely will not kiss a pig!

Norman
    Marietta, Ga

April 28, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  38. Tom

Blogs are reporting that the BBC News radio reports the swine flu was planted in mexico by someone in the U.S

April 28, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  39. Lucas

I was in Mexico, D.F. for work and had to fly back last night. I was planning on staying for the summer, now my plans have completly changed. A once fun, social city is now the home to fear and isolation.

April 28, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  40. Andy Colgan

It's great to be prepared for crises like this but I think the media is only feeding the fire on this one.

April 28, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  41. Bob

Yes, I quit smoking cigarettes Friday afternoon.

Bob
    San Diego CA

April 28, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  42. Alex (CT)

In terms of the human species we've survived the ebola outbreaks of 1976 and 1989 ('89's outbreak was found only a short drive away from our nation's capital), we've found ways to combat HIV and we've completely wiped smallpox off of the map so based on experience I believe that there is little to fear for the human race as a whole.

April 28, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  43. Bill....Michigan

jack.....I will not be shaking hands during the sign of peace at church services from now on......the howie mandel fist bump is the new way

44. Clark Thompson

Jack,

So far this year, more people have died from peanut allergies than swine flu. I'm more afraid of a Baby Ruth bar than swine flu. So, no it has not changed my life.

45. Christine

So far- the Swine Flu hasn't changed a thing. Although I'm starting to worry about my Mexico honeymoon in June!
    Christine
    Louisville, CO

46. Dave Newberg

Fear has not consumed me nor anybody around me at Ithaca College, probably due to the fact that no cases have been reported in the area. But I'm wondering if the onslaught of the illness in Mexico has done anything to quell the violence of the drug-related battles in Juarez and other parts of Mexico? Has there been any research into this?

47. Fred D.

I was traveling when the news broke... because of this news I decided to cancel all business and personal trips for the next couple of months... Going to hunker down in my local community until this blows over...

48. Carol Arney

Could it be that the swine flu is less severe in the US because we get flu shots every year, which may give us some general resistance? I know it is a different strain every year, but maybe we get more resistant to flu generally. I have no idea if Mexicans have a flu shot campaign every year like we do.

49. Jim Amstutz Boulder City, NV

Having read "The Great Influenza" by John M. Barry, I will be careful and avoid large gatherings for a while until i see how this pans out.

50. Richard from Miami

64 cases in a country of 300 million?

Get a grip America.

51. Sue

I was starting to get worried until Napolitano changed its name to H1N1. Things are fixed, the pigs are no longer insulted, and I'm asking "What swine flu?"

52. Beverly Kurtin

The only thing we've changed is that we're wearing surgical masks when we're in public. We've always washed our hands, now we carry Purell hand wipes. Aside from that, I'm using the potential epidemic as an excuse not to go to meetings I don't want to go to anyway. The last thing we need is a panic

53. James Lenon - Chuckey TN

Yes, the outbreak of Swine Flu has potential to improve the lives of many Americans. If the outbreak becomes an epidemic, perhaps we will have to restrict air travel. That might keep the Palin clan in Alaska instead of traveling around begging for money to pay their legal fees.

54. Patrick, Austin, TX

No! I am a licensed insurance agent. I am used to working with both swine and sick people. According to health officials it is not a serious outbreak as of yet. The best we can do is stay calm and level headed and go about our lives until it becomes a major health issue.

55. alexdc

I'm HIV+ and a possible flu pandemic concern me especially. Imagine if we had responded as aggresively to HIV infections in the past 20+ years as we have with the current swine flu. Sad.

56. Amanda

Definately! I realize a regular flu season produces deaths all over the world but this isnt the regular flu. I have an 8 month old son to look after and this, quite frankly, terrifies me. I think Americans feel like they are somewhat immune like these things don't affect us like they do a 3rd world country but we're just as vulnerable as anyone else.

57. John Moeller

No, I always wash my hands before I eat. But key is not rubbing ones eyes or picking ones nose. That is where most virus get into the human body, not the mouth...

58. Lori Lauber

The Swine Flu outbreak has definitely affected my life. I am avoiding travel, large crowds and will not take unnecessary trips into New York City. Travel? FORGET ABOUT IT!

59. Matthew McKenzie in Paintsville, KY

I'm an overnight stocker in the Pharmacy section of a major retail store. The only way I'm sure swine flu will change my life is my place of work going crazy in the ordering of excessive amounts of masks and flu medicine.

60. Samantha from Mound, MN

Im terrified, I am 6 months pregnant and if I were to get infected I would not be able to take the vaccine. Ive yet to hear what they are going to do for people who cannot take the Vaccine!

61. Sheldon B. in CO

I don't remember when fear, or fear mongering for that matter, has been good for anything. Fear leads to irrational judgments and poor decision making. Considering everyone in America who has been infected has lived, I see no reason to fear this flu anyway.

62. Theresa

Of course it has. My son has been sick and to the doctor 3 times in the last week. Diarehha first, now vomiting. There are no cases reported in NJ. Speaking to the doctor again today, he has not even recommended my son be tested. I'm nervous!

63. Jim Magoo

Yes, the swine flu has changed my life. I've generally been rather carefree regarding germs etc., but now I'm living in Iowa (Swine-owa, more or less) surrounded by these little pink demons of disease. Everyone says the stink here is "the smell of money" but now it seems to just be the smell of pandemic.

64. Jonathan New York

Hey Cafferty,

I would rather get the Swine Flu now so i can build an immunity to it by the end of the spring and summer season. When the fall and winter seasons hit, when the Flu virus' hits the hardest, I should be A-Ok.

65. scott mcdavid

jon,i live in Fourtlauderdale Fl,and so far we have not had any cases yet but my life has changed.I watch cnn everyday and around the clock cleaning of hands and my home more now then ever.im driveing my roomates nutts.

66. CJ

I do not have a "fear" of swine flu. That's irrational. If I happen to get sick, I'll see my doctor. But statistically, I doubt I'll need to.

//CJ, San Jose, CA

67. Barry

As a health care provider working with the dept of corrections, swine flu is the least of my worries.

68. melissa

well, we've had a vacation to cancun planned for may 8th. i got the tickets in February and all my husband and i have been able to think about is laying on the beach on cancun. at first the flu didnt scare me off but ass the hrs went by....our thoughts changed drastically. last night i spent 3 hrs back and forth with hotels and the airline trying to REPLAN my entire vacation which starts next week. we planned our entire summer, work, etc around those dates so we were not going to cancel the trip all together. Thank you United airlines for NOT charging us change fees. we are not heading to the Bahamas next week!

69. Zeke

I'm used to our yearly deadly pandemic outbreak and don't think much of it. Small pox, SARS, anthrax, bird flu, swine flu, there's always something. After one worry ends, a new disease pops up, so no, swine flu hasn't changed my life and I don't think many others will change.

On the other hand, people can panic and stockpile without any fatalities at all, which will raise the value of my Glaxo Smith Kline and Roche stocks, so my life will change for the better if I have more than twenty dollars to my name for once.

Zeke,
    Phoenix, AZ

70. Richard

No it has not jack i just find it to be the same old hype up stories about KILLER BEES, THE Y2K BUG, SARS and THE BIRD FLU. Do you remember that .. Give it a few weeks or month and it will be in the past.

71. Hugh ~ Tracy, California

Yes Jack, I've finally decided "grab opportunity by the forelock" and invest in the stockmarket, purchasing large amounts of Chlorox and Tamiflu producing Roche US Pharmeuticals drug company stock, since both corporations now have to increase production dramatically, because public fear has immediately resulted in a greater demand for their products.

72. mitchell, arkansas

yes. when I went to court yesterday, the city attorney (a republican) thought I was trying to give her a 'terrorist fist-bump' when we met, cuz' I wouldn't shake her hand. [I didn't vote for her.....,]

73. Tracy Rogers

I am watching my health closely. I am 43 and have type3 congestive heart failure and since this morning (following an all day Photoshop class yesterday with 400+ people) I have a sore throat, aches and low fever. Not uncommon for me, I have allergies and live back in GA again, so I expect that. It is a little unsettling to see a light down the tunnel. But as we are usually a lot harder to kill than we expect, I am just watchful.
    Thanks for asking Jack.
    TR

74. Evelyn, St. Louis

No, nothing has changed for me. I always wash my hands frequently and 'lecture' those around me. I am a retiree and don't spend every day in a public place.

75. Paul

I am washing my hands all the time now And i am having my kids do the same as much as they can Even while at school But i cant be there all the time to watch over them So i am hoping the school system here in Missouri is taking better care of mine and everyones kids Because of this flu scare we are having I really hope it does not get as bad as they say it will I hope the President can get this taken care of as fast as possible

76. Karen - Bethpage, NY

No--I can't figure out what all the fuss is.....

77. Phillip

Jack this is just the latest indication that America should do something about keeping these illegal aliens out of our country. I mean really what does it takes for us to stop them from coming over here.

78. Leesa

i am with Lothar- i try to avoid contact with people. they are in general a dirty lot. i fly weekly- i work in hospitals. i think – in general- it should not take the Swine Flu to scare us all of anything communicable! There is something to be said for being a hermit. Have a great day!!!

79. Colton Hunt

Well Jack, it has affected me. Although I live in Tennessee, I am still taking most of the precautions ( not the facemask though) and I am telling my friends to do so to.

80. Linda in Arizona

I'm a germaphobe to begin with, washing my hands all day. When I go anywhere, which isn't often, I use disinfectant wipes after touching anything. The only change I've made so far is to order some face masks online because they're sold out locally. I figured it would be good to have them before they're all sold out everywhere. That's it. I live 2 miles from the Mexican border, so there may be more interaction with infected people here than other places, although Arizona doesn't have any known cases yet.

81. Lori in North Versailles, Pa

Yes, my daughter has a honeymoon planned for June 21st to Mexico.
    She is trying to decide what to do. If this is a full-blown pandemic,
    no area will be safe. So she is doing a watch and wait before she cancels. She and her fiance are emergency room nurses, so they would be at risk here anyway.

82. Rick

I think that they are just preparing for the worst. people need to take care of themselves. Keep it clean. Wash your hands. Don't drink/smoke after people. I do think that they are purposely trying to scare people. It's working! Even I'm starting to scare a little.

How come the thousands of people being slaughtered in Sri Lanka due to civil war over race hasn't been getting any coverage?

83. Joe from Indiana

To be honest, Jack, it really hasn't. I see the swine flu as another thing to be worried about, of course, but we can't forget how we were just as terrified about the bird flu, which never came. Maybe we shouldn't get so ahead of ourselves, and stop preparing for a "second bubonic plague".

84. Jason

No Jack! I do all the "stuff you suppose to do" on a regular basis. If I still get it then I'll do what I can but I'm not going to live in fear, afraid of my own shadow!

Jason
    Virgina

85. Tony IL

Jack,
    Absolutely not for I am a hermit in a small town with a population of about 600 people. I am unemployed, jobs are hard to come by so I stay at home, use my computer to search for jobs and the tv to watch you and Wolf.

86. Marcia

I'm taking more herbs and vitamins to beef up my immune system. Why doesn't anyone talk about prevention instead of untested drugs? Interesting?

We already had friends come back from Mexico in March with this, and it was handled with strong nutrition and antibiotics for the pneumonia. No one was talking about it, then. It's been around here already for a while.

87. Tony M in Los Angeles

As a person living with a chronic illness, one that might be complicated by the swine flu, I do not feel a threat. The ratio of those infected to those who are not is what we really need to look at here. The media tends to chew these bones till there's nothing left. Much ado about nothing.

88. Jeff Davis

Swine flu has in fact affected my life and those around me. A runny nose makes us concerned and a few of us have that. I spend hours following the case online. Went and spent over 70 dollars on disinfectants, hand sanitizers, bleach, and other daily household things such as shampoo just in case we can’t get out. Knowledge is power and the more people that know of this, the more people will wash the hands and avoid speading it. Spread the word not the flu.

89. Aaron

Thanks Jack for pointing out that there is 300 million people living in the United States vs the 60 some cases of the swine flue. It really gives a more clear understanding why around 60 cases is important but only accounts for 0.0000002 % of our population.

90. Jeff Boehm

I have to say- I'm freaking out just a little. Thought about staying home from school, these past two days, and I decided to skip the qym today. Just don't want to be around people. I know there's probably nothing to worry about, but it's difficult not to think about it.

91. laura

YES!! My brother is supposed to have his wedding in Cancun on 6/13. Not sure what to do. He has another week or so to cancel and get half of his deposit back. (He'd lose half of $8k) After that he'd lose everything. Not to mention almost a hundred guests have already booked their trip. We'd all lose money!! Hopefully this clears up in the next week or two!??!?! Will it be safe to travel then?? Ugh! Oh well, we can always make more money (tougher in THIS economy) but we'll never get another life.

92. Frank Cape Coral, FL

No it hasn't, why should I panic myself or my family over an "epidemic" of 64 sickened with the Swine Flu? the only "epidemic" I see here is an over re-action to what is probably in the same elevation as the dreaded "Bird Flu" "epidemic" I wonder how many will die due to heart attacks by panic that seems to grasp our nation the last few years. "DOOMSAYERS"

93. Gail

Jack,

Yes, the swine flu has reinforced the fear that countries
    continue to ignore the health and safety issues of their citizens(ke.Mexico/Africa). How can we not expect health problems when government and citiizen do not exhbiit personal responsiblity as to
    pack themselves in sardine cans equivalent to 20 million people
    in one City. The same pattern is occurring in the USA with its
    agenda of freebies for all!

At 59, really blown away as to human's lack of responsiblity,
    and common sense!

Gail Midwest

94. Floyd Vahalik

It has definitely added anxiety to my life. I have heart problems, and would likely be on of those who die when infected.

My question would be: Why hasn't the Mexican border been closed!
    It seems reasonable to me, when you consider the devastation that could be caused if this flu it becomes a pandemic.

95. Trace

No, it hasn't changed my life, mainly because my numerous media induced fears have paralyzed my sensibilities. Also there is no room in my budget for a paper mask. Man, wish I had some stock in the paper mask business.

96. connor frazier

The swine flu pandemic has not affected me yet
    However, I feel like because I live in little ole' vermont that I can't be affected.
    Deep down I know this is simply not true. I hope that I am not affected. But I'm not getting masks or washing my hands more frequently.
    Vermont

97. Shmuel from PA

As a 63 year old man with a number of health problems ( and who lost his grandfather in the 1919 flu pandemic) and scheduled to attend a destination wedding in Cancun in late May of my only neice, I am urging her and her fiance and parents to reconsider heading there and may have to miss this wonderful event if it proceeds. It is breaking my heart given the fact that a number of family members are immuno-comprimised already with a number of ailments. I cannot think of a more possible deadly outcome for what should be a blessed event. Yes, this has changed my life and raised many fears and issues

98. Derrek In Cleveland

Jack,

Yes it has!

As an investor, I am now buying stocks in the companies that manufacture the medications for "Swine Flu"!

99. Natasha Dalton

I remain vigilant at all times regarding illness and disease. The seasonal flu kills tens of thousands every year and heart disease alone nearly a million each year! Strange how people are worried about swine flu to the point of panic, but don't bat an eye at the high fat, high cholesterol foods going into their mouths.

100. Howard M., Bolingbrook, IL

I am washing my hands a lot more than usual, and I am not going among the masses as much. I'm sure I will be fine.

101. Rick, New Orleans

No, it hasn't changed my life. But I am becoming more and more concerned. The Spanish flu of 1918 – 1919 also infected mostly healthy people with healthy immune systems. The immune system overreacts.

102. Jody Dion

Yes Jack, now I have a better excuse when I call in sick now that it's nice out..I have swine flu..:)

103. Michael Sullivan from Lafayette, California

Jack - After all the 9/11 terror alerts instigated by the Bushies, I've built up an immunity to fear, including the fear of swine flu - that being said,
    it's time for me to go wash my hands.

104. patrick

I work at the airport here in Detroit and have seen a great reduction in travelers today. I have also noticed that almost all foriegn travelers especially of asian decent, are wearing face masks. It is not common at all here to see travelers wearing face masks here at our airport.

105. Jonathan

No, this small outbreak of the flu has not changed my life in any way. I use good hygiene on a daily basis (including OCD amounts of hand washing) and I avoid physical contact as much as possible, especially with those who think or I think might be sick. No one should freak out about this– just use common sense in your daily routine and you should be fine (if you don't have a daily cleaning routine, maybe its a good time to start one). Stay at home if you are sick, don't bring it to the office and spread it; don't sneeze or cough into your hand and then offer to shake mine, that is dumb and ignorant; and, for God's sake, don't let fear take over your life because that leads to a hypochondriac mindset which does not help in instaces like this!

106. Pippie in Prunedale, CA

I'm so petrified Mr. Cafferty, I can hardly move. This morning on Sesame Street, Miss Piggy was double masked, and Kermit the Frog was keeping an exceedingly safe distance.

107. Gary & Mary Thomas

Dear Jack, carnival cruise lines are refusing to cancel or rechedule a may 2nd cruise to mexico without total loss of ticket price. with the warnings from the cdc and the w.h.o It seems like the dollar still outweighs the value of our health as far as carnival is concerned. Gary Thomas Fort Pierce florida

108. Joe from Indiana

Also, to Tom above, please take the tinfoil off of your head. They also said we're responsible for AIDS in Africa. What's next, the extinction of the dinosaurs?

109. Ryan

I live in San Diego and due to the H1N1 virus, I've temporarily stopped using the public transit system. Our trolley system runs all the way to the international border between the U.S. and Mexico so until this virus is contained to a certain degree, I don't believe I'll be taking the chance of possibly getting the virus from being in an enclosed area with people who might be affected.

110. Karol

Not at all. It is the media hype that frightens people. Sixty nine reported cases? It is a non-story.

Scottsdale, AZ

111. Brent

112. Barbie from Hollywood, CA

No, I'm not afraid of the flu. Stress lowers our immune system's ability to function, so we can't afford to be Chicken Littles, running around, flailing our arms in the air screaming, "The sky is falling!" even if it does hit a few of us on the head. The less fearful we think, the more thoughtful we behave, and the less critical we are of those who have no better way to control it than we do, the more likely we are to survive.

And do you know, Tamiflu and Relenza can cause severe psychological trauma in some people? I didn't ... until I found a reference to the studies, earlier today.

113. Janet - Phoenix, AZ

Not much really, I am aware of the virus, but I am not going to lose any sleep about it either. In the back of my mind, I wonder though, if this is the work of the terrorists.

114. SCOTT CORMIER

Running a retail business requires the exchange of money as well as a friendly handshake to close the deal. Taking precaution to prevent catching the flu has made us appear less friendly!

115. Emma San Luis Obispo, CA

Hi Jack,
    The only factor for me is the realization that our government and the republicans have not taken this issue of a pandemic seriously for the past eight years. Remember it was Susan Collins who insisted that the money for drugs for just this type of situation be taken out of President Obama stimulous plan...........Republicans just don't care or get it, and now that decision effects my life.
    President Obama GETS IT!!

116. carl chouloute

The fear of swine flu has change my life because on the news they been staying be carful around peope around you also with the hands about washing them. I wash my hands but they tell you to do it every seconds it changes my life on not going to the zoo or even flying in state to state also people coming in the state you live so all theses things changes my life in a big way.

117. Ken in NC

Yes Jack. Even with Lip Stick on it, I will hold off on kissing pigs for a while.

118. Louise W.

Normally, we don't get overly concerned about traveling (other than to Mexico) but my 11-year-old grandson is leaving Wednesday on his 5th grade trip – flying from Miami to Washington D.C.

Am I nervous about this? Yes. But I've given him antiseptic wipes, etc and instructions about handwashing, and hopefully this will all go well. Don't know if the school has considered cancelling the trip, but I hope not

I think it's important to note that traveling on cruise ships for the last several years has been often associated with illness – and that has nothing to do with swine flu – WASH YOUR HANDS!

119. Megan

It has changed the way I live my life. I live in a small South Carolina Town and Thursday April 23- Sun April 26th my husband and I were in Washington DC site seeing. We turned on the News and it broke out while we were there. Thank God that there were no cases in DC, but I was in a big city on and off of the Metro and public buses to get from one place to another. I washed my hands constantly and I went through a whole bottle of sanitizer in those 3 days. I came home and bleached my shoes and washed everything including my suitcase! I am very worried. I have 2 small children that are 1 and 2 and they can't tell me if they have a sore throat or feel sick. I am really ready for the HHS and the Government to get this under control. I mean shut our borders!!! Who cares if it ruins Mexico's tourism dollars. This is our health!!!

120. Larry

Not really. We are just being cautious as we always are when the flu goes through the office/school. Flu has always been a bad thing and has killed many people each year. I believe the media needs to keep us informed but not get emotional about it as some have. Tone of voice is a big message sender that can cause panick when it's not appropriate. I also hate the term swine flu, which is not correct. Call it H1.

Good luck!

121. Julian Freund

With 12000 Americans killed by guns every year (including 3000 children), I should be afraid of "Swine Flu" with one fatality so far? How about we raise the alert level to "Bullet Flu". Oh I forgot, we have a constitutional right to this epidemic, regardless of the lives that are lost. How dumb can Americans be?

122. Louise in Alabama

You are sitting right there and not listening. This is not a "swine" flu. It has nothing to do with pigs. You are contributing to reducing the sale of pigs and corn. Thank goodness Japan will continue to accept our pork. This is N1V1 flu. It will stable and rise and become as other types of flu. Normal deaths from flu can go as high as 30,000 each year. Just in this country. I do not think we are there.

123. derge

No, I will continue to use common senes rules when dealing with the public... This is my normal behavior as I work in retail and it helps me remain healthy for the most part... No is not the time for panic or sensationalism...

124. Keith

Jack,

Fear this, fear that. Is there something wrong with people that they don't realize that there are diseases everywhere? Would society rather live in a plastic bubble with a 'sense' of security than living out in the real world? Its a good thing we don't live in a fearful society..... oh wait we do.

125. Deborah in Blue Springs

Jack,

I went to work today, serving food in an upscale restaurant where good hygiene is a habit. As I worked, I could hear across the dining room dozens of coughs and sneezes. I held my breath as I dumped perfectly good food in the bin, pushed away by diners who didn't feel well. Something's in the air... literally.

By the way, am I the only one who wonders if this could be the "stunning event" we were threatened with by Al-Qaeda? I mean, it IS a virus they've never seen and just HAPPENS to be a combination of human and swine flu?!

126. Jerry Cissell

I would not say it has changed my life. I went out and bought hand sanitizer for my family. I will not shake hands with Mr. Blitzer or Mr. Cafferty, but I will take their autographs.

Jerry Cissell
    Louisville, KY

127. Alan Russel

Good heavens, yes. As one of the millions of uninsured, getting sick would be a life changing disaster. The U.S. may have great hospitals, but good luck affording the care. My last trip to the ER lasted an hour and cost me over $900. I can't imagine what a couple of days in the hospital would cost me.

April 28, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  128. Sheri - Indiana

I am concerned and arming myself with information.

April 28, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  129. Kevin

Jack, I am not worried about another strain of swine flu. This is a virus that we will control and innoculate against. What is frightening is what brand new diseases await us in the future that we will have no idea how to stop. I am sure all of the handsoap manufacturers will be happy.

Kevin
    Warren, MI

April 28, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  130. Justin T. Polk, Ohio

As an employee of a healthcare facility and a student nurse it does make me a little concerned. Working in the healthcare environment does put me at a greater risk for the disease, but I believe the use of proper hygiene methods is the best precaution. There has been one confirmed case here in Ohio and I hope it is the last.

April 28, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  131. Lisa, San Jose CA

Since I've been watching H5N1 'bird' flu from the beginning, I'm already doing the hand-sanitizer, cough into the elbow, etc. simple things.

Guess what? They work against seasonal flu too. Last couple of years I've had fewer colds and no flu. So I haven't changed with the pandemic news because I'm already doing what they tell us to.

I'm just relieved that its H1N1 not H5N1. Our national plans were for H5N1–potentially a much worse virus–so I'm confident the plan will handle this bug. It's gonna be a lot of hassle though.

April 28, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  132. Mike

I am very disappointed in the way the news media is covering this story and the high profile the WHO and others are giving to it. Give your head a shake. We don't know enough about the 156 deaths in Mexico. No others have been reported and the people who have been infected have symptoms that aren't as bad as a normal flu.
    If this is how we cover something this trivial, what are we going to do when we have a real pandemic. Remeber the story of the boy who cried wolf?
    I wish everyone would just stop covering the asses and report the real news.
    Mike
    NV

April 28, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  133. DP

Nothing changed so far in Toronto, Canada – but looks like we are quickly heading (globally) to SARS-like fears and restrictions, as the number of cases grows.

I ask this question and cannot find any answer – in Canada, 3-4 thousand people die every year of the regular flu. 30-50 thousand people in US. I believe, in Mexico, the annual influenza death rate should be in tens of thousands also.

Why we haven't ever shut down the whole country of Mexico while thousand of people were dying during the flu season, and why we are doing exactly this having a couple of hundred deaths so far? Especially if we remember that swine flu is not more severe than regular one, and responds to treatment well.

I believe the general public greatly underestimate the scale of flu deaths every year, and thus overreacts when told about "swine flu" or whatever. But why public health professionals seemingly support these fears?

Can anybody explain? Do I miss something important?

April 28, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  134. Shaun from Kent, Ohio

Not really Jack. I do think it is something a cause of concern. Until it gets closer to Kent, which there is one case in Elyria, Ohio, not far from here. Some people say it's just the flu, but this is definitely much more contagious than the normal flu which can be treated by 'theraflu'. Some blame the media for hyping this up, but people need to WAKE UP! There is a reason why WHO is concerned, if this was something like the normal flu, WHO would not find it to be such a concern as it is.

April 28, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  135. mickey

We had to cancel our 2 week vacation to Cancun, Mexico, from May 3rd to the 17th. We planned it in Sept. before the crash. Fortunatly we were going to stay at a timeshare we own, and Alaska Airlines has credited back our non-refundable tickets.

April 28, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  136. Jill, Pennsylvania

Yes Jack, it has. I had to explain to my 8 year old daughter, whose health teacher brought the subject up in class, about what exactly swine Flu is, how to protect against it and if you can die from it. Not the conversation I was planning to have today. But, yes I am concerned about the what if's, and if it spreads more, whether or not to continue to send my kids to school.

April 28, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  137. Mick

It's just the public being the public Jack. "Oh no, something new! RUN!". People are just over reacting, and looking at statistics, the cases reported are NOTHING next to the amount of flu cases and flu related deaths on a yearly basis.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to lock myself in the panic room.

Mick,
    Tarpon Springs

April 28, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  138. Jay

I believe it has made me a bit more cautious especially at the gym which I already believe is a breeding ground for disease. I wash my hands more often, I wipe down the machines, I use all bathroom facilities with a papertowel. I don't want to panic but I would rather be careful than sorry.

April 28, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  139. David Randall

As there are no cases here in Florida as of yet, I am not worried about my personal safety at this time. I am, however, worried about my family back in NC. I think that the greatest effect of this potential outbreak here in the U.S. may be the stress and worry it causes. When and if deaths do occur here, my worry level will increase instantly.

David Randall
    Port Saint Lucie, FL

April 28, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  140. Shelby

My grandfather died in the 1918 flu epidemic at the age of thirty-three leaving behind three children, including my then-10-month-old father. We are scheduled to go on vacation in less than two weeks, but I am not taking any chances. I plan to drive to Florida from north of Boston with my two kids instead of fly on planes and be trapped for hours at a time with other people's germs.

Shelby
    Manchester, MA

April 28, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  141. Liz in DC

I am planning to go to New York City this weekend and now hundreds of children in NY have swine flu. I am pregnant. I do my best to steer away from hysteria, but I am watching this one closely. I think it has a lot to do with wether or not you are scheduled to travel and to where. I can't say I've ever thought much about where the plane was before I got on it!

April 28, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  142. nora CC TXAS

I hope the media does not send the country into a panic cause then we will be in real trouble. People will be hurting each other at the store over cans of lysol. Already I am hearing that face masks are no longer available people have bought them out!!! I see it is on the news all the time. I hope people calm down, keep washing your hands, stay out of big crowds, We need to wait and see right now, not get all crazy and out of control, My life has not changed due to this, but hey I better go buy some more LYSOL!!!!

April 28, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  143. Karl from SF, CA

Not really. I take a daily multi-vitamin and a timed release vitamin C so my system is about as resistant as I can make it. I don't usually catch thing that are going around. That may account for the lower US case count. Americans generally have a more nutritious diet and take more supplements to strengthen their immune systems then the folks in Mexico.

April 28, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  144. brandy

As a hypochondriac, I have tried very hard these past few days NOT to let it change how I am living. But now with the number of cases rising here in the US, I feel that taking certain precautions is very smarrt. I have a six-year-old in school, so I am being very (if not over) cautious.

April 28, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  145. Sherri Illinois

Somewhat Jack! I have a job fair that I'm going to this week and I bought myself a mask to cover my mouth & nose, also some handi-wipes that I will use as needed because I don't want to shake too many hands. This is not a plaything so I don't care how I look at the job fair with a mask on BUT my health is more important. This Swine flu is serious, deadly and not to be ignored or handle lightly.

April 28, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  146. Becci

No really, I always wash my hands often, don't cough or sneeze into my hand or on other people. I also eat healthy, exercise regularly, don't smoke, may have a drink once every 6 months, try to get enough sleep each night, etc. In other words... I try to keep my immune system as strong as possible at all times, not wait until something like this comes along then down some magic pill hoping for the best. Or like many, blame the government.

Although, I do not agree with the comment made that you should not be making a big deal out of this until there are hundreds dying. That is just ridiculous thinking. Early education is imperitive if we are to prevent that outcome.

April 28, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  147. John H

Regardless if the idea of an influenza virus becoming a global pandemic is logical or not, it is still rational to take any precautions necessary if it does actually progress past its current state.

However, the idea of hand sanitizing gels and face masks protecting everyone from infection does hold the familiar notion of being nothing more than an ineffective safety blanket effect; namely a reminder of the duct-tape strategy used when the concern of anthrax was among the populace.

I have to wonder if the face mask and hand-sanitizing gels are really going to keep infections down, or merely give everyone a false sense of comfort.

April 28, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  148. Thomas

Changed my life? you cant be seriouse. I live in the Bay Area more specific a lower economic area. Everyday drugs, pimps, killers, homocides, suicides, gangs and last but least the police are cahnging my life everyday. Specifically the children that have to live in this god awfull situation. But don't worry the police have us and this area always contained! Us poor people are going no where so this pandemic which has been at a crisis level 5 for 70Years is and always will be under control. Our infection of poverty, food and resources will always remain the same. the Police make sure we stay right here. Flu Pandemic changing my life give me a break!

April 28, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  149. Dietmar angola,indiana

realistically, i am more fearful of not being gainfully employed soon. to perpetuate this state of fear really does nobody any good. lets get back to brass tacks, jack. so no, my life has not changed in the face of this, i still worry about ending up in the "soup-line"!

April 28, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  150. Paul S. Columbia, SC

Right now I'm luckily sitting in the cat birds seat. I am a patient in a hospital and will be here two more weeks. Nothing like being knee deep in doctors when this sort of thing happens.

April 28, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  151. Larry

I live in the DC metro area and my wife rides the subway to work every morning. I convinced her to drive to work until we really know how bad this will be. Bad traffic is better than getting sick.

April 28, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  152. Ron in Ohio

No. The inherent fear factor increases media appeal and that sells advertising. The Swine Flu should not be ignored nor used to incite panic profits. Be calm, be resonable. About 50 US citizens of 300,000,000 have gotten the flu and nobody has died. Be vigilant but not scared.

April 28, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  153. Joey Marie

Raymond, Washington

Colloidal Silver kills all one cell organisms, why don't they use that for the swine flu? I've never had a cold, flu or infection. I take one tsp. of silver a day! Are the drug companies now salivating at the thought of the money they will make on this flu medicine? YES!!

April 28, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  154. helen

Come on Jack.......former resident of CG; lot of respect for you

This is common sense........wash your hands???? Especially after touching any type of meat..............or anything else these days.......

Become a vegetarian? May be; but who knows what's in our soil and water????????

Perhaps we should all become looking like the supposed aliens; lightyears ahead of us..........live on vitamins?

April 28, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  155. Debbie

Perhaps if the media would put its energy into a real health threat, like obesity or aids , that kills (and has killed) more people than this flu, we could cure some serious diseases. The "swine flu" has unfortunately become a media event during this (fortunate) lack of any other shocking or dramatic news.

April 28, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  156. Chryssa

Nope, I'm scheduled to fly into Mexico city June 3rd and just made my room reservations yesterday. Life can't stop every time a few hundred people get sick.

Boise, ID

April 28, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  157. Brittany Kirkup

Yes, the swine flu has definitely changed my life. As I have been seeing it also affect the lives of others as well, none of which however have to traveled to Mexico; in both being cautious in public situations and washing hands, using sanitizer, and such. We were planning on traveling as a family two two different places, both being in the United States and if this epidemic does not get resolved soon then we will be canceling our future plans to travel until it is. I honestly think that people should be paying attention to this situation and taking caution during travels or even in thier everyday life of running errands and such and going to public places as you never know who could have possibly contracted the virus.

April 28, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  158. Joey

The company I work for is doing a good job of spreading fear. They are providing hourly updates of known cases, emailing CDC prevention material, website links, asking people to stay away if they feel sick (diagnosed or not), asking everyone to use hand sanitizer, which is almost in every office and conf. room, bathroom, breakroom, wash our hands at every opportunity, avoid coughing, sneezing, avoid touching our faces, avoid contact with others, etc. it's crazy. I almost turned the UPS guy away because I was afraid to sign for the package – he wasn't sanitized. It's crazy Jack!

April 28, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  159. Rosanne Visco

As a health care professional and naturally hygienic by nature, this current situation has not changed my life. I only hope that people will start taking more responsibility toward protecting themselves and not wait for the government to step in after the fact.

April 28, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  160. Pam O'Neill

I have a a1 in .0000002 chance to contrac swine flu. I'm more likely to get electrocuted by my tv.

April 28, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  161. Dave

Jack – I've been out of work for 6 months, have spend my savings and what was left of my 401K, am facing foreclosure in my house, had surgery a couple of weeks ago that I don't know how I am going to pay for, and just got back from the hospital where my wife was in the ER with a panic attack due to the above. As for swine flu, right now I think I would like a good dose of it!!!

Dave
    St. Augustine, FL

April 28, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  162. Stacy

Has fear of swine flu changed my life? Definitely. It's made me appreciate the estimated 700 nameless Americans who will die this week and every week this year from the seasonal (non-swine) flu that we never talk about. And they were probably smart enough to know that Swine Flu has nothing to do with eating pork.

Next month, we'll go back to dying from the "endemic" viruses and forget the hype over one pandemic. Meanwhile another 2800 people will quietly die from the flu viruses we live with every day.

April 28, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  163. Larry

No. It's being overly-hyped. The very old and very young are most vulnerable, as is usual for any flu.

April 28, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  164. Gary Lompoc CA

No. My RN wife of 43 years has always encouraged me and others to "Wash your hands." I've never had a flu shot. When I retired, I had accumulated 100 sick leave days. I've listened to her for 43 years. No reason to stop now.

April 28, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  165. Anthony in NC

No my life hasn't changed. But, I am getting tired of the media NOT knowing the line between providing information that we need and HYPE!

April 28, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  166. Mario Alberto

No, at least not yet. I'm working as a private contractor in Iraq in support of the brave men and women of the American Armed Forces and I pray this influenza does not make it over here. I feel very safe working on the American base I'm assigned to and I'm grateful, sense we are already quarantined from the world public and possible pandemic that may occur. If...it reaches over here then it won't be fear that affects my life rather preparation and swift action to beat this fast spreading influenza.
    Hoorah!!!

April 28, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  167. Adrian, Trinidad & Tobago

Definitely! An ounce of prevention, better than a pound of cure. Some scoff at the publicity this is receiving. Is it that they want to begin seeing the tip of the iceberg before they act? I do not know how many may probably die of this infection, but I certainly don't want the authorities to wait until say 500,000, or 1 or 10 million die before they act. I say "thanks for the heads up!"

April 28, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  168. Jane (Minnesota)

No it hasn't. It doesn't do any good to fret about it – just use common sense & wash your hands more often.

April 28, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  169. John Johnson

No Jack,I've always followed my grandmothers advice;Wash my
    hands,look before I cross the street and don't believe everything
    you hear and half of what you see.

John
    Louisiana

April 28, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  170. Chris

Like you stated previously Cafferty, we're looking at only 64 cases in a population of around 300 million. It just goes to show how much this country has turned into a bunch of "worry warts". So this isn't going to change my life in any way unless the seriousness becomes much more severe. America...living your life in such a constant state of paranoia is no way to live.

April 28, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  171. frankie

From personal experience as a nurse aide, I can tell you that careful handwashing with soap is extremely effective to keep from catching or spreading diseases. This is a serious safety measure, not just an urban legend or something.

April 28, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  172. Ralph Nelson

I just bought hand sanitizer, asked pharmacy about surgical masks yesterday (says they won't filter it out). Plan to reduce shopping and wear gloves when touching grocery cart. Worry about affect on economy (reduced sales, less travel). Could be the something that kicks the legs out from under the economy. Ralph, Yakima, Wa.

April 28, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  173. Adam

Dont go quarantine yourselves just yet. The worst thing people can do right now is panic. It is still very early in the outbreak and panic will just make every person with a sneeze flood emergency rooms and create a thinning of our resources. RELAX for now and keep your snot to yourself!

April 28, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  174. Beth

After vacationing in Myrtle Beach with Mexican housekeepers my husband came down with a terrible cough which turned into flu-like symptoms. I too, became sick within days. I went to the doctor Saturday and it was dismissed as a bad cold. Yesterday, I returned to the doctor with flu like symptoms and,again, my concerns were dismissed but I was given 3 prescriptions including an antibiotic. I don't know if I have it or not, but as a public school teacher I have stayed home the last two days so not to risk others. I question why they didn't test me, as I clearly demonstrated flu-like symptoms. Perhaps, local communities are not being as vigilante as NYC. If my fever doesn't break, I will definitely return tomorrow to my family physician who I haven't been able to see as he's been booked. It has definitely affected the way I'm dealing with this illness.

April 28, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  175. Katie

I would like to know what happens in this country now that we have cases of swine flu and millions of people without health care. Will these people be turned away when they seek medical help? How many more cases will this cause? I think now is a good time for the Government to really take a closer look at healthcare in this country and why it is failing.

April 28, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  176. Tomislav

no not that much

but i'll tell you thank god i didn't go to Mexico this spring break.

Milwaukee, WI

April 28, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  177. Barb @ the beach

No, not really. I think the news media aggrandize situations. It's nice to know, but the constant hype can be debilating. I work in healthcare, I do not take flu shots because of allergies. I am very careful in hand washing and other precautions. Have not caught the flu in years. Wash your hands!!

Barb

Virginia Beach, Virginia

April 28, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  178. John Baker

Since the jury is still out on the devestating effects of the swine that were in control during the Bush eight years, I am not to concerned about the swine flu, which will probably have a smaller effect on me than the eight years of W.

John

April 28, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  179. omar

I think that we should all wash our hands more often. We really should wash our hands. I going to be more aware now of what I am touching.

April 28, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  180. Karen C in California

Nothing has changed. Yesterday, there was a meeting at CDC about CFS - a debilitating neurological disease that affects a million Americans - and CDC wanted to waste the time of our patients who'd made supreme effort to attend, by talking about Swine Flu, which affects only a couple dozen people in the US.

April 28, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  181. Dave in Saint Louis!

Yes! My parents are in Cancun, Mexico and due to come home soon! I am worried about them because we have not been able to get a hold of them.

April 28, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  182. Jennifer Central New Jersey

Not much. I live pretty defensively when it comes to health because of my graduate level public health training. I worry about those who don't have the knowledge to live defensively. I wonder how much the influx of undocumented people will help to further spread this. We live in a multi lingual society and we mostly function in one or two languages. People also need the basic tools of good health which obviously include an adequate home environment. The homeless, the addicted, those who don't have adequate English skills, the elderly, children and the chronically ill are likely to suffer and maybe die disproportionately . Public health which I feel strongly should not have been so thoroughly privatized is the line of defense, treatment, and information for the poor during this sort of crisis. I wonder what will be done to get treatment to those who can't afford it in the United States. Some areas now lack any sort of resource for the poor without any health coverage. Unlike some other recent US disasters that were less than ideally managed the lack of treatment for the vulnerable can affect anyone they come into contact with. I hope people will consider this in their sometimes carte blanche opposition to public health services.

April 28, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  183. Betty, San Diego, Ca.

We are not going out in public unless it is absolutely necessary. All our food is cooked in house, no restaurants. Where I once would wash my hands with plain soap, I now use antibacterial soap.

April 28, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  184. Okz. Houston, TX

Are you kidding? Jack I am scared as hell. I was supposed to hang out with the boys last weekend but had to cancel. If public buildings and parks are closed for safety reasons what can you say about stuffy smoke filled enclosures we call niteclubs. I am not going to take chances with this swine Flu thing.There is something about this one that sound omnious.

April 28, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  185. rick dorazio

sars, avian flu and now the swine flu. jack this is getting rediculous. to much media hipe on this story and not enough on what else is going on in the world. i live in canada and we had the sars scare and then the avian flu scare. and they didn't go very far. there was so much hipe then, and like now, those diseases created so much fear because of the media. so no, the swine flu will not change my life. sars and the avian flu didn't, why should the swine flu change it?

April 28, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  186. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Disinfecting my keyboard that I disinfected a few minutes ago after I washed my hands and disinfected them now I'm sneezing from the disinfectant spray.

April 28, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  187. MARY lOU Rios

The symtoms of swine flu sound exactly as what I and my husband had several weeks ago. It took 3 shots, prescription cough medicine and two rounds of antibiotics to get over it. Also about two weeks at home. /southwest Kansas has a great deal of Mexican population that travel back to Mexico for spring break. A lot of the general poulation in our town had it. We survived

April 28, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  188. Adam from N.Y.

April 28, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  189. liz

hell no! i'm not scared. i lost my leg from hospital acquired mrsa superbug. i don't see maps charting the people who contacted that infection on t.v. i think they try to keep that infection quiet. god bless the folks who have lost their lives to that "bug".

April 28, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  190. Granny, Battle Creek, Michigan

Not at all. With over 500 people in the U.S. killed by guns every single day, I'm much more afraid of that. Swine flu, you can get an antibiotic for. There is no pill for crazy-with-a-gun.

April 28, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  191. Matt

I'm more scared of the federal government trying to orchestrate a swine flu emergency response than of catching the swine flu all together!

April 28, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  192. mary stewart,arlington texas

absolutely rediculious.......stop it...report it but for god sakes ....over and over.......10 cases in a country w 300 million people?????/stop....crying wolf is very harmful if something serious does happen...no one will hear you

April 28, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  193. Jade, Cerritos CA

All schools of California are going thru State Tests till May 8th, the Schools better take extra precaution... We are here in the "State" of "emergency" as per the Governor...the natural reaction would be of PANIC!! Am trying to remain calm & sensible, but with all the reporting on the pandemaic it is creating a wave of fear...
    I will take extra measures to isolate... My daughter will NOT attend any more swim lessons, no dining out...No Knott's Berry Farm trips...Moonsuits...? What else..maybe move to Alaska..?

April 28, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  194. Jay ~ New York

Hey Jack,

Why do the cable networks keep referring to it as swine flu? Janet Napolitano said it should be referred to as H1N1 as it has nothing to do with hogs. By continuing to refer to it as swine flu the cable networks are spreading the fear associated with that term and thus continuing to hurt the industries and families connected to swine farming. Call it by the right name so there is not more damage caused to our already fragile economy.

April 28, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  195. David A Whitaker

Hey Jack, it just verify what we already know there is a lot of germs out there. I always wash my hand, and don't forget about Hep-A, if you don't wash your this is another disease.

David
    Martinsburg, WV

April 28, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  196. wellington527

Swine flu is traveling so fast its scaring me. I live in a building with 100 other residents and two of my neighbors, that I know of are sick with colds, and they still keep going everyday riding the elevators and walking the halls, while sneezing and coughing. So the best I can do is wash my hands more, and as of today I started taking the stairs while holding on to the rails with paper towel. Lysol and OUst disinfecting spray have been long time friends of mind so I guess I will keep extra in the closet just in case.
    P.S I live in Connecticut and 4 unconfirmed cases have been found according to our Governer Rell.

April 28, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  197. Barb from Florida

I came down with flu last nite, have temp, chills, just plain don't feel good, but as I have no insurance, what are my choices? I was sent to local hospital a couple months ago for a test and it took 3 calls back to my doctor and him faxing another script before they would do the test do to no insurance. You think I want to be embarassed like that again? No way, I'll stay home and do the best I can.

April 28, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  198. flying wolf, Manchester NH

Yes, jack, it is. But what else is new?

April 28, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  199. Keith

Jack,

have been reading all the responses. Think people ought to feel really sad! Governments, including USA, do not enforce human rights, safety, health/wage standards....guess, for the almighty dollar!

Swine flu, sickness from lettuce and peanut butter, defective products from China....my Lord....quite disturbing to say the least!

at least the USA should enforce for its people what other countries cannot do on their own!

USA seems to be falling in the same direction of other countries that ignore these values!

Keith Midwest

April 28, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  200. Paulette,Dallas,PA

Definitely. We are not flying out to Ohio next week for our grandaughter's First Birthday. My husband has multiple myeloma cancer and no immune system. Nothing is worth him being exposed to anything. I do plan to go shopping and stock up on everything so if the situation becomes worse,we will not have to leave the house.

April 28, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  201. Katie Tampa, Fl

I would like to know what is going to happen to this country now that swine flu has spread here. There are far too many americans that do not have healthcare and no means to be able to get treatment if they are infected. Will these people be turned away? When that happens how many more will be infected? I think now is the time for our Government to really look at our healthcare system and realize it's failing the americam people.

April 28, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  202. dave

Jack no. I'm going follow the directions and if I feel sick I'll go to my doctors

April 28, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  203. Craig

yes; and only proves that the fence on southern border should be completed faster and sooner! it may not stop all but it will slow them down and also discourage more!

April 28, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  204. Ted, Beaverton,OR

Hasn’t changed my life. We should get real about this swine flu frenzy and hysteria spread by some alarmists.
    Heart disease kills 724,269 Americans 16% of deaths occur in 115,883 smokers
    Cancer is second aty 538,947 deaths. 83% in smokers..
    Over 1 and a quarter million people die ANNUALLY.
    Do we need a mask for flu protection or smoke protection?
    Swine Flu lasts about 5 days.
    Flu is not the Bubonic plague, it is another form of Flu, nothing else.
    Fear is being spread faster than the flu.

April 28, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  205. Dustin

The WHO upgraded the risk to a 4! A 4! Nobody really knows what that means but clearly the end is nigh! I hope everyone has their zombie proof shelters ready . . . it is just a matter of time for them to attack!!

In all honesty, no! I am not doing anything to change my life and I am tired of the media paranoia regarding this. The flu is the flu whether it is swine flu, avian flu, or the common flu. A new outbreak occurs every so often and it has never done anything serious during my lifetime – why is this any different?

Dustin
    Rochester, MN

April 28, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  206. Jeannette Toronto Canada

Never wanted or been to Mexico....What with the crime rate, unsafe water, swine flu.....and anything else .......Thank You NOT!

April 28, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  207. Carol

About as much as SARS and the Avian flu has!

April 28, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  208. Grace

No,because after caring for family members with M.R.S.A.,(An antibiotic resistant strain of staff infection) I have learned the importance of sanitizing myself.It has taught me just how careless many health professionals are . Although I cared for my family members,I didn't get it.I have however seen nurses go from patient to patient ,not using the the sanitizer provided at the door of each hospital room. Being careless like this can cause death or illness to innocent people .I fear if this flu gets out of control,it will be spread by careless people.

April 28, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  209. Lynn

The pre-cautionary measures are something we have already been practicing for years, we have good insurance and an excellent doctor; I just hope that this scare will encourage others to continue the sanitary pre-cautions after the scare is over. Also, maybe this will put pressure on Washington to get our borders under control – San Diego

April 28, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  210. Dwight Bayley, Jacksonville, FL

Why does CNN continue to refer to this virus as "swine flu"? During the Rick Sanchez show, he carried the news conference by three of the President's cabinet who kept saying that it is not swine, has nothing to do with pigs, can't be communicated by eating meat. Call it by its proper name, H1-N1 flu.

April 28, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  211. Horn Lake, MS

What is really scary is this is a combination of human, avian and swine, just the concoction Al-Queda has been working on for years and I bet that sterling national security team George Soros told Obama to appoint has not even checked in to that.

April 28, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  212. Liz in California

Oh, for the love of Pete (whomever Pete might be)!! This swine flue hype is so not newsworthy, OK maybe a daily update, but this constant coverage is really getting annoying. Wash your hands, peeps, like you should have been doing all along.

April 28, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  213. Paul M Wychules from Manteca,CA

The swine flu has definitely affected our family, my wife is employed by Customs and Border Protection at SFIA .she is one of the first persons the incoming passenger from foreign encounters. The whole family could be affected .

April 28, 2009 at 4:47 pm |
  214. Dan

It has to the point I have asked you guys this question several times. I think it deserves a simple answer. This one shouldn't be rocket science.

Please excuse me Jack if I seem rude or stupid. I have already written to the CDC this morning asking them the same line of questioning. I may get an answer from them. I am not an expert with viruses. I am simply someone trying to learn.

Say that a Mexican worker is sick with Swine Flu and works in the fields of Mexico where certain produce is grown. Say that the product is shipped here as a lot of produce is from Mexico. If we buy that produce in the store once it is shipped locally here in the States can we catch the virus from it if that worker coughed on say a tomato and we purchase it? I believe many of the trucks carrying produce are refrigerated no? And if the truck carrying the produce is refrigerated does it extend the life of the virus to where it could still possibly be active in American produce sections of a local store here at home?

Thanks,
    Dan

April 28, 2009 at 4:47 pm |
  215. Dan from Alliance, OH

No, I don't fear a pandamic virus at all. It is just a way for nature to weed out the weak.

April 28, 2009 at 4:47 pm |
  216. Tom Jackson from Ontario

Im fairly frightened that it is going to spread around, but dont you think that we are making a huge deal out of somthing that America can successfully keeping to minimum.

April 28, 2009 at 4:47 pm |
  217. Kim - Blair, NE

Not at the moment. May rethink if I hear of something here in Nebraska.

April 28, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  218. James M

Yes, this is affecting me. I get to hear about nothing else than a flu bug that has affected about 300 out of 300 million people.

Did I forget to mention that it has nothing to do with Pigs, according to our public health experts?

April 28, 2009 at 4:49 pm |
  219. Gayle, Illinois

No necessarily, it seems that the Mexicans are the only one who are succumbing to this flu. Okay we had mad cow disease, chicken (bird) flu, now we got swine flu. If it keeps coming to this, meat eating in America will be a thing of the past. I think a little bird is telling me we are not suppose to be eating meat anyway! I am sincerely thinking of becoming a vegan.

April 28, 2009 at 4:49 pm |
  220. Allen L Wenger

No, not a bit. I refuse to live my life that way. Too many Americans are living in fear of too many things. People fear losing their job, a terrorist attach, swine flu, or an airplane flying into their office building. Don't live your life being scared of what might happen, enjoy life while you have it.

Mountain Home ID

April 28, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  221. Natural Health Doctor

A quick review of PubMed finds scientific reports of anti-viral influenza foods and herbs to include:
    1) polyphenols such as in Green Tea, pine cones, grapes seeds, grapefruit seed extract; etc,;
    2) Propolis;
    3) American Ginseng

With Newly emergent flu viral infections the otherwise healthy and robust have a greater death rate due to fluid build up in the lungs. Researchers find that COX-1 deficiency is detrimental whereas COX-2 deficiency is beneficial to the host during influenza viral infection which indicates that Tylenol is one of the better NSAID. Tumeric herbally is also a COX-2 inhibitor.

Again a nutrient mixture of Vitamin C, proline, lysine, NAC, Se and Green Tea is also scientifically beneficial in influenza infections.

Tylenol Celebrex

Tumeric!!!!!

April 28, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  222. Karen, TN

I'm too old to spend the rest of my life worrying, Jack. Unless the borders are closed, I'll be in Mexico next week.

April 28, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  223. Marge in Florida

We've been traveling to Cancun yearly for the past 16 years and always enjoy the warmth of the people, the culture and our little home-away-from home. After Hurricane Wilma and much devastation we went and still had a lovely time. This, however, is the first time we will cancel our trip and make alternate plans, due to the Swine Flu (why fly to it?), although it appears that where ever we decide to go, there's a possibility the Swine Flu will be there. Think about it; even if we did a "StayCation @ Home", we'd still go to stores, gas stations, malls, movies, etc. where we're still around people who could possibly be affected. There's no completely safe place to be. So for all of us, use the helpful suggestions from the CDC and hopefully this situation will be resolved soon. But face it, another one will surface, it's a sign of the times we're living in, normal is over.

April 28, 2009 at 4:51 pm |
  224. Sheri : Arkansas

Jack, I've moved the frig into the bedroom, TV on CNN, and barred the
    door. Wake me when it's over.

April 28, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  225. Kevin

I am curious how this issue has trumped the fact that the taliban are quite possibly going to get a nuclear weapon in Pakistan. I guess when we get nuked we can be thanful that we will not develop pneumonia.

April 28, 2009 at 4:53 pm |
  226. Katherine in Austin, Texas

The (shameful) Bush administration would have just shrugged their shoulders and told everyone to "watch out" hehehe.

President Obama has taken the initiative to issue warning alerts and information and some feels this is excessive.

What if nothing or too little were done and this became an epidemic? What if it effected someone you knew? What would you say then?

What do you want people? Don't you think too much awareness is surely better than not enough? Think – don't panic – just think.

Katherine in Austin, Texas

April 28, 2009 at 4:53 pm |
  227. Larry

Well Jack, the answer is no, not really. However, it would be nice to think that this swine flu problem may have an impact on some of the "pork" in Congress!

April 28, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  228. Barbara - Nevada

Since the world first started following avian flu, my three adult children and husband often tease me because of my “irrational” fears of a pandemic. We haven’t yet changed much in “our” lives, but I guess many other people now are because of the reality that they are, or a family member is infected with swine flu – “irrational” fears?

April 28, 2009 at 4:56 pm |
  229. Dan

Jack

We will know there is a serious health issue with swine flu in the US if we get to the point where there are more individual cases than there are commentators and analysts. I don't mean to be less caring for the reported 66 cases but with 36000 deaths a year from regular ol' influenza in the US how about some additional research dollars being directed to that apparently less newsworthy strain.

April 28, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  230. Boyd, Reedsburg, WI

I always said I'd get a flu shot when pigs fly... What d'ya mean, "SWINE FLEW?"

April 28, 2009 at 5:00 pm |
  231. Mari, Salt Lake City, Utah

No, Jack, it hasn't. I have always washed my hands upon arriving home from the public places, and I even change my clothes. That keeps the regular flu at bay as well.

It is sad that people are sick. I am praying that this does not become a pandemic.

April 28, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  232. Donn Ledwick

I leave tomorrow for a 10-day vacation to Cancun. I thought about changing my plans, but after listening to all sources of information, I decided to go. No cases of "swine" flu in Quintana Roo, the state in Mexico that Cancun is located in. I would have much more concern about vacationing in New York City!

April 28, 2009 at 5:04 pm |
  233. Red

No, no more than watching CDC and DHS run around proclaiming death and dispair, and the media fanning the fires. Have you ever thought that they are blowing this way out of proportion to futher their own agendas? We seem to forget that we have over 200,000 people get the flu every year, and over 36,000 die from the flu, but we're all wrapped around the axle about 60 cases??? Aren't the other 36,000 that die sexy enought for CDC?

April 28, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  234. Irene

I wonder who is checking medical conditions of those who just climb the fence to get into US?

April 28, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  235. Cathy

The fear of swine flu is real for me. My neice is a student at St Francis Prep in Queens and she was sick with the swine flu and is now recovering. I have known since Friday that hundreds of students were sick at the school...Im just curious as to why the news is just starting to report on this today. It has a domino effect...the students get sick, their family members get it, and so on and so forth. Its going to get much worse before it gets better.

April 28, 2009 at 5:08 pm |
  236. David Learn

As I understand, the risk when you travel is much more related to the transportation system you use than it is to your destination. I believe that the most risky aspect is the recycled air one breaths on an airplaine. Airlines don't want to mention this, because it is cheaper to recycle dirty air, rather than bring in clean air. As I understand today, if you take a flight, you basically breath the air of everybody else in the plane.

So if some guy in row 20 sneezes, and you are in row 40, it's as if he sneezed right in your face.

April 28, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  237. Ken

No, The fear of swine flu has not changed my life in any way. I've come accustomed to these type of alerts. Every year there is something new West nile, measles, chicken scare, beef scare, peanuts, and now Swine flu.

April 28, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  238. aisha

i have a question ..
    my question is, where di this fwine flu com from? and where did it oficialy start and were?

April 28, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  239. Joan

In the event of an emergency pandemic or biological attack, I cannot understand why this country might not have a law mandate that people must have access for emergency health care regardless of insurance or income. What directives do we have to know before a situation arises and what will the Armed Forces do for the Civilian Population. ?

Without the government having some control over this it will be much harder to control. People without Insurance and access to health care are much more in a position to harbor infectious disease, viruses etc and contaminate healthy people. Communication is fast now and the world has to protect itself at large.

April 28, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  240. Patrick

I am packed and ready to move to Puerto Vallarta for a month now, but am having second thoughts as I have AIDS. I have been watching a lot of the news but have not heard anything on how dangerous this swine flu has been with those living in Mexico with the same disease.

April 28, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  241. suzanne

Where is the story about the man in mexico that died one day after obama shook his hand? That guy caught swine flu. Obama was in mexico city right before the outbreak. Why not ask the democrats who caused this. Seems to me someone should investigate obama's involvement in this. And now he's flying his jet over new york in an attempt to bring fear into the usa and crash our stock market.

April 28, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  242. Don in Grand Rapids, Mi

Yup I really have the fear that the El President may have been exposed to the swine flew when he flu to Mexico aboard AF#1, if so is it an impeachable offense if he's exposed the US to it?

April 28, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  243. charles

swines wouldnt you say that what the mexican cartel is?? isnt it odd that this is suddenly come about since the recent border drug wars terorrism is closer than we think ..if they can do what they have been doin inthe chemical world do you think theyre not capable of of using something as simple as a (pig) to reek havok on the us ??? the rest of the world are just victoms of circumstance hmmmmm???

April 28, 2009 at 5:42 pm |
  244. Deb in Indiana

Geez Jack,
    I think that one already fits into one of my Phobia catagories: can't afford medical attention if I get sick. I'll only get one chance this month to get the flu, since I can only afford gas to drive to town & spend my food stamps once.

April 28, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  245. David

No more than being a reminder to wash my hands and head to the doctor if I start feeling sick. People always blow these things WAY out of proportion. Not to say that we shouldnt err on the side of caution, especially in an around the center of the outbreak (mexico) but its not an end-of-the-world disease as the media seems to be trying to hype.

April 28, 2009 at 5:48 pm |
  246. Bruce

Yesl I have lots of comedy; I laugh at the fact that they call it swine flu when it is really HYBRID flu. I laugh when I realize the improbability of the sources and four kinds combination – it is weaponized. I laugh that even a major pandemic can't budge our CONgress to shut the southern border. After all this laughter it then makes me sick that it is real.

April 28, 2009 at 5:56 pm |