April 17th, 2009

Why does Palin make people reach for their wallets?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

She's been mostly out of the national spotlight since John McCain lost in November; but Sarah Palin was back in a big way last night. The Alaska Governor spoke to a sold out crowd of 3,000 at a Right to Life fundraising dinner in Indiana.

Organizers even set up a paid closed-circuit broadcast at an auditorium and officials had to close down streets nearby. People taking pictures and seeking autographs mobbed Palin.

At the dinner, the Republican governor criticized President Obama's position on abortion and embryonic stem cell research. Palin surprisingly told the crowd that when she learned she was a pregnant with a Down Syndrome baby, she "just for a fleeting moment" considered getting an abortion.

Politico reports that even though Palin hasn't been doing a lot of fundraising - that hasn't stopped many from using her name, her image. etc. to raise some big bucks, often without her approval.

Groups on both sides of the abortion issue, environmental groups and political committees from both parties have gotten in on the act.
Politico describes her as "an almost unparalleled fund raising force."

Meanwhile Palin's big appearance in Indiana came at the end of a rough week for the Governor back in Alaska. Her controversial nominee for state attorney general was rejected by the Republican-controlled legislature after damaging confirmation hearings. As it turns out - Wayne Ross had previously defended a KKK statute, characterized gays as "degenerates," and in 1991 reportedly said, "If a guy can't rape his wife, who's he gonna rape?" Ross denies he said it.

Nice pick, Governor.

The legislature also made clear it won't accept Palin's effort to turn down more than $400 million in federal stimulus money.

Here’s my question to you: What is it about Sarah Palin that makes people reach for their wallets?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Steven from Charlotte, North Carolina writes:
It’s probably why traffic can be bottlenecked for miles from a car accident on the highway. And why we cover our eyes when watching a horror movie, but peep through our fingers. We don't know what’s going to happen, but we have a feeling it will be worth the pain of seeing it!

Joann from Las Vegas writes:
Jack, Sarah Palin is the only thing left for the right-wing religious extremists to hang on to. What is truly interesting, and ironic, is that Sarah admits to thinking about an abortion for herself in a few fleeting moments. That is certainly a choice she wouldn't have if abortion was illegal. Isn't that right, Sarah?

Janice from Illinois writes:
Jack, I know that I would get out my wallet and contribute to a worthy cause. I would pay my fair share for her to go back to Alaska and stay there.

B. from North Carolina writes:
People pay to see two-headed snakes at carnivals, too. Does that mean they want one in their house?

Amarissa from Miami writes:
She is honest, Jack. She is one of us. Not an elitist or a fake. Common people can identify with her and we are the majority! Her virtues are not seen in most of our elected officials and that is why she is being put down, because she is a threat to them. She is here to stay, whether you like it or not.

Hope from Madisonville, Kentucky writes:
She might have a lot of right-wing admirers but the lady has some screws loose. If people are giving her money, they have some screws loose, too. If this is the best that the Republicans can come up with, say hello to another win by Obama in 2012.

Mareike from Los Angeles writes:
Why does Palin make people reach for their wallets? To see if it's still there?

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Ray in Nashville

Let's see, Jack, how does that go again? Oh yeah, "You can fool some of the people all of the time..."

April 17, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  2. Marie Ontario

Palin appeals to the very fringes of society who are uneducated, uninformed and/or consumed with ideological extremism.

When segments of society are consumed by a cause whether it be right or wrong they will dedicate their entire lives and finances to keeping this cause alive.

The GOP are rapidly becoming irrelevant in politics for this very same reason as they can't get themselves out of the hole their ideology has dug for them even though main stream America has overwhelmingly rejected their brand of political policies.

April 17, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  3. Pablo in Tejas

Ya know, Jack, theres just some folks out there that find such comfort in bigotry, selfishness, and willful ignorance that they will pay good money to try to make it public policy. Sarah P is the poster gal for these people on account she embodies all those qualities.

Pablo
    Arlington Texas

April 17, 2009 at 2:12 pm |
  4. David Alexandria, VA

She is a very effective speaker. She is straight-forward, sincere, and convincing. You may not like her message, but you have to appreciate her delivery - after all, that's what elected Obama.

April 17, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  5. Al, Lawrence KS

It's the entertainment value, Jack. Cheaper than tickets to a comedy club.

April 17, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  6. Bob from Kentucky

In my case, I have been trying to pay her to go away,But it seems to not be working. Most are probably giving money for her next presidential running for they can get some more of the great laughs on SNL again like we had the last time.

Bob
    from KY.

April 17, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  7. Joan B

Palin will be the Rep Candidate for Pres in 2012 and beat the pants off the anti american candidate.
    Joan B
    MN

April 17, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  8. Jack Carlson

Palin comes off as honest. She cleaned up Alaska and will clean up USA if made President in 2012. By 2012 all will know about her skills and honesty.
    We can't wait for the pro france/fascist ADM to be gone.
    Jack Carlson
    WA

April 17, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  9. Justin, Alexandria

I can't speak for everyone, but when I see Sarah Palin I reach for my wallet to make sure she didn't pick my pocket.

April 17, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  10. Sharon, Rockford, IL

Beats me Jack. I'm too intelligent and rational to figure that one out.

April 17, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  11. Harold from Anchorage,AK

Sarah who?
    We used to have a governor by that name but that person has lost her credibility in Alaska.

April 17, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  12. KimSmith, Dodge City, Kansas

Obviously her supporters have way more money than brains.And that's sad, because they are missing an opportunity to donate to a worth and legitimate charity instead of a losing cause. I guess there is just no shortage of suckers in our country.

April 17, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  13. Dan

Dear Jack,

When I was growing up in the sixties as a child of the middle class, the Rupublican Party was the party of the Upper Class. I disagreed with much of what it had to say, but its views were always at least reasaonable and respectible. When exactly the the GOP turn into the Party of Trailer Park Trash? This is the consituency that Palin represents, and her ability to raise money has nothing to do with good ideas, only the desire of the ignorant to inflict the educated with their diseased misconceptions. I hope to god that the Real Republican Party returns soon. The country need an intellegent opposition voice.

Dan NY

April 17, 2009 at 2:31 pm |
  14. jim Toronto

Jack, When I think of Palin I want to reach for a barf bag!...
    I'm sorry but she is a ninny!!! there is nothing there of any substance.
    No amount of crash courses or cramming will ever get her ready for the world stage. The very thought of her being elected to run the country is, well...sickening.
    Heaven help everyone if she ever does!

April 17, 2009 at 2:32 pm |
  15. Doug - Dallas, TX

Good question, Jack. It's a total waste of money but some folks just don't learn I guess.

April 17, 2009 at 2:33 pm |
  16. Don (Ottawa)

She appeals to every gun lovin, coon huntin, grass roots American. She walks the walk and talks the talk, and is good looking to boot. Let's put it this way, paying for a fantasy is not a new phenomena in America.

April 17, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  17. Phil

Why Jack? For the same reason people slow down during an auto accident–they are hoping to see a crash.

Everyone wants to witness the moment Palin completely melts down. What other reason is there to pay $$ to see a completely out of touch/inexperienced politician speak?

April 17, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  18. Lil from TN

Jack, which people? I wouldn't give her a dime and I would hope that anyone with any sense would not, either. She's uninformed on the issues and polarizing in her views. She has the support of a fringe group of people - the most right-wing of the Republican party - and I would hope that segment of the overall population would have no more influence than it deserves. Why a small fraction of Republicans continue to support her views financially is a mystery to me . . . I guess they buy into the view that every life is precious until it arrives on the scene, then its survival isn't their problem anymore.

April 17, 2009 at 2:37 pm |
  19. marie

For the same reason people stop to watch a car wreck. To be schocked.

April 17, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  20. Allan Hanson Placerville, Ca

She does the "Right wing's" dirty work. She makes all kinds of half truths and total lies. Much like Rush and never has to be responsible for her alegations. People believe her when she says things they want to hear, true or not, they don't care, they have made up their little minds.

April 17, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  21. Chris in Philadelphia

Because they are stupid. Palin makes me reach for the remote.

April 17, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  22. gail craig. Plano texas

Sarah Palin again. The only persons reaching for their wallets are the extreme right wingers of the Republican party. She is a phenomenon though in that I have never witnessed anyone before who is so physically attractive until she opens her mouth and speaks, showing how really dumb she is. But sure hope she keeps talking. It will assure the Democrats a win in 2012. She is really helping us.

April 17, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  23. Julia from Fayetteville, NC

Why does she make people reach for the remote? She has weird ideas about things and when it comes to money, we had better watch the lady and watch her closely.

April 17, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  24. BRUCE, ST PAUL, MN

She is energetic, photogenic, charismatic, she looks like one of the "popular" kids in high school. The she stands up and emphatically tells them its ok to be ignorant. Science, history, geography, the Constitution? All overrated. If you've got an opinion, you don't have to know what you're talking about. She validates and gives voice to their irrational fears and darkest prejudices. That's got to be worth something.

April 17, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  25. Tina Tx

I guess people like the Barbie doll image but she makes my wallet snap shut tightly.

April 17, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  26. SHIRLEY-OHIO

Because they too have a dream that Palin will one day become President of the United States. If I were them, I would start waking up now because its not going to happen.

April 17, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  27. Sarah from Grapevine, TX

As a progressive democrat, I will donate as much money as I can so that she may never have the chance of winning a national race. She's not capable of speaking complete thoughts...

April 17, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  28. David,San Bernardino,CA.

She is just an insane radical who reaches the same people that send their money to crooked television ministers.

April 17, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  29. Nancy form Spring Lake Heights, NJ

The only thing she makes me grab for is the barf bucket.

April 17, 2009 at 2:45 pm |
  30. KarenB, centralFlorida

Palin is pro-life and is a lot of what the Republican party is "about", very simple – she can get people to donate because of her sincere beliefs about it all. A lot of the Republican base believe in that and she can get them to shell out. (Personally, I think it should be between doctor and patient and government keep out of it all–but,
    there it is).

April 17, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  31. Grant from Lava Hot Springs, Idaho

Jack: When Sarah Palin speaks she speaks to issues that most Americans have left behind. Those remaining in her spell may feel that she is the only politician that not only speaks to their fears that they are not part of the mainstream thinking in America but that she can turn the rest of us around from our wrongheaded thinking.
    As for me, when she became the vice presidential candidate, I no longer had to decide btween McCain and Obama-I sent all of my money to the DEMS!

April 17, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  32. ajks

The only thing I reach for is the tv remote to change the channel any time that she is on the tv.

April 17, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  33. John from Alabama

Jack: The Republicans do not have a standard bearer for the party, so they are hunting for someone to lead the faithful. Men have been giving money to women for many different reasons for centuries. Why not give money to the only face out front in the publics eye, but if she gets the nomination the Reuplicans will lose.

April 17, 2009 at 2:48 pm |
  34. Larry, Ohio

Jack,Palin's pick was no worse trhan the tax cheater that President Obama picked to run the IRS.The reason people open their wallet for Palin,is like her or not,when she speaks she comes across as a person who really believes what she is preaching,just like the President,she has that charisma that no one can explain!

April 17, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  35. Dustin

Because she's pretty and dumb? There are a lot of these women like this in the media: Paris Hilton, Britney Spears and Lindsey Lohan just to name a few....

April 17, 2009 at 2:51 pm |
  36. B in NC

April 17, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  37. Becky

she doesn't make me wanna reach for my wallet, just my mute button.

Austin, TX

April 17, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  38. Steven in Charlotte, NC

Its probably why traffic can be bottlenecked for miles from a car accident on the highway. And why we cover our eyes when watching a horror movie, but peep thru our fingers. We don't know whats going to happen, but we have a feeling it will be worth the pain of seeing it!
    And people are always willing to pay for the new circus act in this sideshow she creates!!!

April 17, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  39. Nancy, Tennessee

The Republicans are not donating to their party because of support for Governor Palin. They realize if this is all they have to offer in 2012 then they better contribute some big bucks so the RNC can find a candidate.

April 17, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  40. Mark in OKC

Jack, believe it or not, a LOT of people like me who know that Palin is no genius, still felt that she was treated like dog doo doo by the press during the campaign. She gets my sympathy vote and my sympathetic wallet also.....the Dems have no one to blame but their good buddy "The National Media" for her popularity.

April 17, 2009 at 2:55 pm |
  41. Amber Scott, Los Angeles CA

Palin makes people pull out their wallets for the same reason hellfire-and-brimstone preachers make people pull out their wallets: fear and paranoia.

April 17, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  42. CHRIS, Bx., NY

Well Jack, the base loves her.....There's nothing wrong w/ that either....She's the perfect, pretty, dressing, to the GOP's ugly madness....However, as we've learned in this new political era, you must have a large umbrella to be a competitor for what ever, and where ever, especially if she intends to run for national office.

April 17, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  43. Mike, San Diego

You act as if this is something new Jack,

"A fool and his money are soon parted" -Thomas Tusser (1524–1580)

April 17, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  44. roger dowdle lockhart, tx

Because there are a lot of right wing "Loony-tooners" out there! Notice that the crazies who call for states to sucede from the union are from the right wing or fanatics of the republican party!

April 17, 2009 at 2:59 pm |
  45. Ann from Hampton, New Jersey

Remember the saying "Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back"? Curiosity will only last so long. After watching and listening to her speech last night, I now know why McCain wasn't voted into office.

April 17, 2009 at 2:59 pm |
  46. John A. Maloney Jr.

It is a mystry to me.

April 17, 2009 at 3:00 pm |
  47. Emily-worcester ma

I too eagerly look forward to the next election cycle. These clowns have shown America their true face, and it ain't pretty. My biggest fear, however, is that the conservatives in this nation will continue to nominate non-starters like Bob Dole and John McCain.Palin? a big no no to me and I don't know where our next Ronald Regan is, but I pray that we recognize him when we see him.

April 17, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  48. EJ in Metro Houston

I have to admit there Jack, I just don't get it either. I can't recall ANY person that actually lost an election, and not by a very close margin in fact, that gets all the attention that Sarah Palin gets. There are some on the far right that want to call President Obama a "media creation". Well if that title were to fit anyone it would be Sarah Palin. Her family life is playing out like a tabloid story and if nothing else she is unifiying not only some on the right in her favor but some on the left that are against her as well. I think that the GOP is in such need for some type of face of the party there are many just willing to throw their money at her. Perhaps she is being used by her on party but only time will tell that.

April 17, 2009 at 3:02 pm |
  49. Hope M. Madisonville, KY

She might have a lot of right wing admirerers but the lady has some screws loose. If people are giving her money, they have some screws loose, too. If this is the best that the Republicans can come up with, say hello to another win by Obama in 2012. Thank God.

April 17, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  50. Venia PA

I would reach for my wallet if and only if i could be assured of never seeing this clueless pathological liar again!

April 17, 2009 at 3:05 pm |
  51. Irv Lilley

Jack, What I'd like to know is , Why in the world does the media keep
    talking about her?

April 17, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  52. Steve of Hohenwald TN.

It must be the return of the carnival side show. Come see the brainless wonder.

April 17, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  53. bill dwyer

Its easy to get a crowd. Just invite all the village idiots. In the case of the Republican party thats easy, their all idiots.

April 17, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  54. Ralph Nelson

People are stupid and poorly educated and attracted to people like themselves and she is stupid and poorly educated. Thus, she talks in their terms and also doesn't know what she is talking about like them. This is the future...stupid Republican presidents elected by right wing radio and television telling the "Big Lie" as Goebbels called it. You tell a lie enough times people believe it. Where did you think the Republicans got this stuff? Ralph, Yakima, Wa.

April 17, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  55. George, Dunedin, Florida

You got it all wrong Jack, most of us are just making sure their pockets are buttoned.

April 17, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  56. Jamie in Virginia

Well Jack, people pay big money for pretty faces to tell them exactly what they want to hear, regardless of what's actually correct.

April 17, 2009 at 3:09 pm |
  57. Mary from Houston, tx

People want to help pay for her wardrobe!!

April 17, 2009 at 3:09 pm |
  58. NICK

Jack, they reach for their wallet for many reasons.
    She relates to bigots
    She relates to racist
    she relates to the uneducated
    she relates to the religious fringe groups
    she relates to the anti-abortion groups
    she relates to those who think that they are the "real americans"
    They are the base of her fund rasing.
    However, and thankfully, in total they are a minority in our country which will never rise to the national level in politics.

April 17, 2009 at 3:09 pm |
  59. Eric Platt

My grandfather (and others like him) said it best.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Eric Platt
    Toronto, Ontario

April 17, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  60. emma,NYC-NY

Jack, I listened to Sarah's Speech yesterday on utube. To me she comes off fake. I kinda thought to myself, this sounds like if you steal someone recipe, whatever you make will never be original and that is scary thought to me!

April 17, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  61. Larry in Florida

It's the Hillary factor Jack! You either hate her with all your heart or you love her with all your heart.

April 17, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  62. Jim from Chicago

It's simple, Jack. Some people will pay big bucks to attend a WWE Smackdown or a Monster truck demolition event. There is always some demand to watch phony, staged destruction of our property and values.

April 17, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  63. Adair Renning

She makes me reach for my wallet alright...........to give to the DEMOCRATS!!!

April 17, 2009 at 3:11 pm |
  64. Michael

Well, Jack, there are a number of factors. It could be her comprehensive knowledge and reading of every publication ever written. It could be her gosh-darn folksiness and love for all the average-Joe six packs out there. Heck, it could even be her affinity for the word "maverick."
    But what's the biggest difference between why people will donate to Sarah Palin over adopting a pit bull?
    One word: Lipstick.

April 17, 2009 at 3:13 pm |
  65. Bob

She appeals to the extreme right wing of the Republican Party who make up a small percentage of the electorate. They reach for their wallets because she does a better job of preaching their beliefs than any other national Repblican figure,

If she gets the nomination she will be lucky to carry a handful of southern states and will take a lot of Republican Senators and Congresmen down with her.

You go girl !

April 17, 2009 at 3:14 pm |
  66. Daniel Indiana

She speaks the divisive politics that many Americans want to hear. She and Rush could sell most places out just to hear their venom. This is proof that the Taliban aren't the only extreemists in this world.

April 17, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  67. J Georgia

She's a woman. It's what they do.

April 17, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  68. Scott in Canada

Hmm, forgot about the Democrats. The Democrats use Palin for fundraising because we all see her as either Bush II (well, Bush III, but the first one wasn't THAT bad) or the one that'll make Bush look brilliant. She's an incredibly polarizing figure in that way

April 17, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  69. Dani

It's simple. Look at who she's raising money from. These are largely the people paying into the coffers of the tele-evangelists. Is it really all that surprising?

April 17, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  70. Katiec Pekin, IL

I have absolutely no idea! This woman represents everything a leader should not. When watching her campaign speeches inciting anger, hate, unrest and calling for a division of our country wondered what
    politicians were doing having this woman even considered as a
    person to make decisions for our country.
    She gets solid support from the radical right, so maybe that is
    the answer.

April 17, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  71. Brian

Jack because shes an amazing person and threat to all you democrats. She will become President and she WILL succed!!!

April 17, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  72. Jon in OH

Why do prettier waitresses get more tips? There are a lot of guys that open their wallets to a pretty face. God knows, they're not paying for her brain. Her judgment is the worst, her voice makes Hillary Clinton's sound like a chorus of angels, and her ethics are on-par with Dick Cheney's. The far-right extremists have been looking for someone to love, and you don't get much more extreme than Sarah "The Wolf Killer" Palin.

Jon in Toledo, OH

April 17, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  73. Bennie

Hi Jack:

I honestly don't know?

Bennie
    Avon, IN

April 17, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  74. Mageen in Old Virginny

What is it about Palin that makes me reach for my wallet? How about my sworn oath to never but never allow an ignoramus anywhere near the Oval Office ever again. What's in my wallet? Well, it goes to whoever is running against her.

April 17, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  75. Jeff in Glen Carbon IL

Can't answer that, she makes me reach for the remote and my antacids,

April 17, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  76. closet republican

Like it or not she represents that strong right-wing ideology of old fashioned american values. The people that strongly believe in these values see nothing unreasonable or wrong about this woman. She's living proof that many people will want to remain in that old sentiment.

April 17, 2009 at 3:21 pm |
  77. Dennis North Carolina

people will always waste their money on a sick joke.

April 17, 2009 at 3:21 pm |
  78. Susan from Houston

I don't know what it is about her that makes people reach for their wallets. Feeble-mindedness? She makes me reach for the remote.

April 17, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  79. Tom in Dubuque Iowa

"Stupid is , as stupid does" FGump

April 17, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  80. Rob of Brooklyn

you betcha–to give money to anyone running against her. She needs to stay in Alaska . With her touring of the states who does she think she is Evita Peron ?
    The press needs to stop talking about Miss Trailer park and the idiot family

April 17, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  81. Darla (Edmonton, Canada)

They're all so focused on staring at the train wreck that is Sarah Palin and her foolishness ... they don't realize what they're doing!

April 17, 2009 at 3:25 pm |
  82. Denny from Tacoma, WA

Because she is a visionary who can see Russia from her house?

April 17, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  83. Joe from Arlington

Her contributers appear to be social zealots from the twilight zone. As of last November, that means 46% of the American electorate.

April 17, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  84. Bob (Illinois)

Well, she does have the ability to make people reach for their wallets and to reach into their wallets.

I contribute money to the Democratic Party almost every tim she opens her mouth. You betcha'!

April 17, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  85. Suzanne, Flagstaff, AZ

Tea parties...."Nobaba" stickers...Sarah Palin and Joe the (erstwhile) Plumber all tap into the wounded egos of those who LOST. Unfortunately, these factors also make racism, red-baiting, fear mongering and hated for anyone "not like us" legitimate.

It's even MORE legitimate if you pay for it.

As a FORMER Republican (who first registered in 1978), I am embarrassed by what the GOP has become.

April 17, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  86. Ram Riva -- Calexico, CA

Have you every heard the term "Self destruct"?...

That's exactly what she's doing to herself....

Riding along with Rush Limbaugh, the're doing it to the Republican Party...

April 17, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  87. DShirley

Answer to your question: Looks, charisma, celebrity, and IGNORANCE–blind leading the blind!! Some people will jump from a cliff just to do it to be different!

-Laughing out loud in Ohio!!

April 17, 2009 at 3:30 pm |
  88. George Rice

Not being inclined to donate money to Sarah Palin, or anyone else of her ilk, I can only assume other voters like her message, despite her numerous and obvious shortcomings. That, and there aren't others with her national celebrity calling themselves conservative who are worth backing. Doesn't speak well for the future of the present day conservative movement, doe's it?

Staten Island, NY

April 17, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  89. Kevin, Punxsutawney

Hello, again, my good friend. As you probably realize, with such a large American population, even a small percentage will yield a biog number of people, but that doesn't mean much. So, see gets a few thousand followers with lots of money. Who said that wealth equates to common sense?

April 17, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  90. Ryan Cummings

As an Alaskan, I can say truthfully she's a very charismatic woman, and the Republican party hasn't had something like that in its corner in MY recent memory, at least. She represents something new, but still safe. She's young, but she's still touting the same tired old mantra of the party, so I think the old regime is thinking 'hey, if she's saying what we've been saying all along, we must be right.' It's affirming for them, no matter how inaccurate.

I personally am not a fan of her, and it seems more and more of the Alaskan people are getting fed up with her theatrics.

April 17, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  91. Gene

She definitely made me reach for my wallet. She made me reach deep into my pockets and donate money to anyone running against her :)

April 17, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  92. Paul S. Columbia, SC

Sarah Palin says what she means; and means what she says. She is no political gamer like all of the rest.

April 17, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  93. Susan from Twin Falls Idaho

The same thing that made them vote for Bush and Mccain, stupidity. They’re hanging on to their dream girl not knowing she would have been our worst nightmare. The queen of snark needs to stay in Alaska and keep practicing her lipstick skills.

April 17, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  94. Erik in Real Pennsylvania

Because Sarah Palin is all the right-wingers have left. And that is good news for reasonable Americans.

April 17, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  95. Mike of Hot Springs.

She appeals to a certain group of persons who really do not like the U.S. Government and wish to do all they can to disrupt this administration. The same people who are collecting guns and are in my opinion very dangerous.

April 17, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  96. Jackie in Dallas

Oh, come on, Jack. "Out of the spotlight"??? She will do ANYTHING to stay IN the spotlight. And the media helps. Could we not go a whole week without more headlines (or questions from you) about her?

She gets the money the same way those phony religious types do. She appeals to the ignorant, the purposefully blind, and the religious zealots who are used to being told to open their pockets to someone who will "cure" them - just send money and put their hand on the TV set, and they'll receive remarkable benefits! Her own state, including her own party there is rejecting her, and she has lost major impetus by engaging in a mud-wrestling bout with the father of her grandchild.

Now, unless she gets impeached, undergoes another ethics investigation, or actually completes a coherent sentence, can we please drop her as a topic of conversation?

April 17, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  97. Dennis in Grand Rapids, MI

Simple, they want to make sure they know where their wallet is–before she pickpockets them...

April 17, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  98. Tim from Toledo

She appeals to the extremists, the narrow minded, and the ignorant. Unfortunately – we have a lot of people that fall into those categories in our country.

April 17, 2009 at 3:41 pm |
  99. Lynne Parker in N. Augusta, SC

I wish someone would explain to me how someone with the I.Q. of a head of lettuce can attract such a following.

April 17, 2009 at 3:41 pm |
  100. Paulette,Dallas,PA

Presently, the Republicans don't have many bright and shining stars and Sarah is a novelty and a moneymaker. I do not think she will be on the Republican ticket in 2012 but she may be promised some position if she fund raises for the chosen candidate.

April 17, 2009 at 3:42 pm |
  101. Lesa Clark

Governor Palin's persona appeals to one's base instinct. You either 'love' her or 'detest' her. Thus, you direct your funds towards movements/events/fundraisers that support your instinct.

April 17, 2009 at 3:42 pm |
  102. Linda L Lutz

I am sick and tired of everyone putting down Sarah Pallin. I think that you are all running scared because you think she may be able to run in 2012.

You left wingers are always trying to blame the conservatives for everything. The left wing has ruled the government for two years, and has continued to make a mess of our government. Why don 't you all try to get some work done. We the people do not want a Socialist state.

April 17, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  103. Jeff in E. Lyme, CT

What better argument for improved education could anyone possibly come up with? People also opened their wallets for Jim & Tammy Faye Baker, Pro Wrestling & Milli Vanilli. An uneducated customer is always an easy mark for the unscrupulous and fraudulent.

April 17, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  104. maggie muggins

She's crazy and the donor's to her cause have a common thread and that pretty much explains everything.

April 17, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  105. gl, From Pittsburgh

She only bring out her base which will pay any thing to hear her speak ill of President Obama and nothing more.

April 17, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  106. Frank/Canadian

Hi Jack;

The price being paid for the mass of uneducated hordes led by rightwing nuts. It has the potential of bringing down the American way of life.

April 17, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  107. GM from Mankato MN

I don't know......How about stupidity or just simple bribery?

You can take your pick Jack.

We need less of both in politics.

April 17, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  108. Arin - West Palm Beach, Florida

The impetus that makes people reach for their wallets is the same impetus that causes them to slow down during a roadside traffic accident to gawk. Money spent on Palin just makes things worse for intelligent people everywhere, just like slowing down to look at an accident only causes more traffic congestion, but people can't resist a wreck.

April 17, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  109. Andrew from Omaha, NE

Jack,

At this point, she's like a conservative folk hero. She's extremely good-looking, and disconcertingly extreme in her politics. I can't blame people for wanting to see if she really exists.

April 17, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  110. Ashley in Wisconsin

Personally, Ms. Palin makes me reach for my wallet and the phone. My wallet so I can give money to the Democratic Party to help get good people elected, not the Republicans, and the phone so I can call my local Dem Party chair and give my time to help the Democrats win again in 2012! I just wonder at Ms. Palin. Dosen't she have a family of five and a state to run? One can only wonder at Alaska for keeping her in office.

April 17, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  111. James

Sarah Palin is all rhetoric. When it comes down to the brass tax of decision making and benificial governing for the broad masses (not just your ideological base) she pulls up lame. Let's hear her opinions on foriegn policy again. Seriously imagine her attempting to deal with the various issues Pres Obama and his team are tackling right now. To me as 21 year active duty Air Force troop, its a scary thought

April 17, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  112. kaitlin

She scares the hell out of intelligent women. The fact that the Republican Party actually nominated her for the 2nd highest office shows how completely out of touch they are and their total lack of respect for American women.

April 17, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  113. roger smith

dear jack

Simple minded people like their world's kept simple ! complexity and
    diversity are too much for them to handle! palin makes them feel
    comfortable because her world BINARY !

April 17, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  114. gl, From Pittsburgh

Politico describes her as “an almost unparalleled fund raising force.”

Yes she is becasue she helps the Dems rasie money to make sure she gets nowhere near the WHITE HOUSE.

April 17, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  115. Jill, California

She certainly makes me reach for my wallet; and I send my money right to hands of President Obama!!!

April 17, 2009 at 3:49 pm |
  116. Frank

Like Obama she is a Washington outsider, unlike Obama she has a clue to what is going on and has real experience in how to lead. Like Reagan she says what needs to be said, unlike Obama who says what the polls want him to say.

April 17, 2009 at 3:49 pm |
  117. Terry from North Carolina

Jack
    Who knows why. Its a sad state of affairs when she is the GOPs top fund raiser. If this is the best the Grand Old Party can come up with we will have a Democratic President for a long while.

April 17, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  118. Brian Riback - Waldwick, NJ

First Jack, let me say, "PFEWWW!!!!!!" Forget whether you like Obama or not...how reassuring and awesome is it to know she wasn't one 70 year old away from being able to press the button.

What makes these religious nuts reach for their wallets is simple to me. They represent a "Yesterday" that they would give anything to hold on to. A "Yesterday" when a black man couldn't be President and all girls were well-behaved Christians. Any effort to promote this, to give it a chance to become prevalent or relevant is worthy of their money.

I think George Carlin just rolled over in his grave. He would have had a field day with this. These religious nuts need to wake up to the reality of today and realize they don't live in that world anymore. My lord I hate that woman. I hope she runs in 2012...that way Obama doesn't have to put much effort into winning and can continue working.

April 17, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  119. Milla

Those people that reach out of their wallets are the same people that received the Bush tax cut, they probably figured it's better to give it to a Republican than to help fund the Average Joe's healthcare coverage.

April 17, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  120. Bill in California

THE RIGHT and I do mean the correct side LOVE her because she is a straight shooter who walks the talk. That is EXTREMELY rare in this politically correct age.
    THE LEFT derides and HATES her with a passion because of the same reasons.
    She polarizes good versus evil depending on your point of view and most people will back a person like that or do anything to make her go away.

April 17, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  121. Aaron Wasserman

I don't get the infatuation with Sarah Palin. Sure shes young and better looking than the average politician but it's not like we've never had a powerful woman in office. I mean the secretary of state is a woman, speaker of the house is a woman, the former secretary of state is a woman; all of whom are much more qualified and much more intelligent than Sarah Palin. The country would be better off if she left us alone.

April 17, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  122. Roy Cabanez

She is charismatic dfine us "extreme charm and a 'magnetic' quality of personality along with innate and powerfully sophisticated personal communicability and persuasiveness."

April 17, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  123. Greg Mechanicsburg, PA

There will always be some idiots who are willing to pay big bucks to see a bulldog wearing lipstick. It would be nice to see all the red-state scalawags move to Texas and secede. We need to get the rest of the nation on track without fear of some right-wing nut coming loose and shooting it out with Federal Agents.

April 17, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  124. Joe, Clinton Ma.

Who really cares as long as she stays away from my wallet. She needs to stay in Alaska and leave the lower 48 alone.

April 17, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  125. Jeff - Tampa Florida

Easy. She is a down to earth, intelligent, real person. Try to actually report on the REAL Palin for a change and stop the liber lies and you may just start liking the woman.

April 17, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  126. Kristian

Jack,

Lots of people like Palin convince good folks to reach for their wallets. They're called Confidence Men and Grifters.

Kristian
    La Crosse, WI

April 17, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  127. Alex

A Democrat's dream Republican ticket for 2012: Palin-Limbaugh.

April 17, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  128. Terrance in Hartville, MO

I know why she makes me reach for mine. To donate to the Democrats in her area. Having listened to this clueless brain dead conservative twit during the McCain campaign, I just hope RNC keeps her out there in the forefront, expressing herself every chance she gets. If the RNC had even the slightest clue, they would bind and gag her, then throw her off that bridge to nowhere! The DNC can't buy advertising that is this effective! Go Caribou Barbie!

April 17, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  129. Liz, Windsor, Ontario, Canada

The only thing Sarah Palin makes me reach for is a bucket to throw up in.

April 17, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  130. Lynn, Columbia, Mo..

It's beyond me. The Republicans have only been out of office 4 months and they've all lost their minds. " FNC tea partiies" for tax protests when they are getting reduced taxes and a 3% increase for the filthy rich in 2011. It's beyond me.

April 17, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  131. Jim S Gardendale, Alabama

She's an oddity Jack. She came from nowhere onto the national stage and left just a quickly. She's a mystery to the ultra conservatives who have nobody left to carry their banner due to the mess that George Bush and Cheney and other made and they hope she might be the magic woman to lead them back to the promised land. I doubt that it will happen because of her lack of experience and all the negative publicity that her family has received before and after the election. The Republicans are just reaching for straws.

April 17, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  132. David Bebeau,Springfield Missouri

Why oh why won't she go away.Why oh why does she think she is
    relevant...................good heavens she is soooooooooooo
    not relevat.
    David

April 17, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  133. Chryssa

It's not unlike 15th century Catholics in Europe who paid the church for forgiveness. They're scared, they're desperate, they know they screwed up, and all they can think to do is throw money at the problem.

Boise, ID

April 17, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  134. George-Windsor Canada

Jack

She is pretty she is smart and good Governor.
    Have you send her money yet?
    George

April 17, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  135. Sam Langley

Savannah, Ga
    Jack
    It is no different than the way people like Paris Hilton have become famous. People like Sarah Palin and Paris Hilton are only famous because the media has made them famous. Both are very attractive, tend to invoke responses with their outlandish comments and behavior and tend to polarize people. In other words Sarah Palin is good copy and photogenic.

April 17, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  136. Beverley, Fredericksburg Va

Jack,

I'm a smart woman but I'm truly stumped on this one!

Her supporters must know that the SNL & Katie Couric tapes are still warm – in fact they probably haven't even been taken out the machine and are ready to run at a moment's notice.

They must also surely seen the interviews since the election and understand that John Mccain and his crew are going to do everything in their powers to make sure she doesn't hold office anywhere in the continental United States.

Why do they keep sending her money!?

April 17, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  137. DEE

Maybe it's beccause alot of americans see that she is a truly good and honest person, so far removed form Washington, DC. Or maybe alot of americans cherish the life of our babies, children, healthy or not. Or maybe alot of American women see her as themselves. Or maybe alot of Americans are honest and hard working and she has achieved the American dream. Or maybe we feel that the media, specifically, CNN, MSNBC, Huffington Post, Daily Kos has denigrated her beyond anything imagineable (actually slaughtered her and her family). Or maybe we are a country based on Judeo-Christian principles, contrary to what has been said in other countries.. Or maybe.... You get my drift!!!

April 17, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  138. Cowboy

People are fasinated by her for some reason – maybe cause she comes across as a Saturday Night live actor.

April 17, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  139. Patrick from McDonough, GA

Honestly Jack have no idea! I guess it's the abortion issue and of course her chance to be on the spotlight; on the Republican side a chance to use her to try to bring a futile blow to the Obama administration. Now more than ever the Republicans are relentless on finding a weakness against Obama and exploited like they did with Bill Clinton. I think Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck are all tools that the RNC can use against the current administration. If the role was reverse with the Bush administration every one would shut up and say yes sir, no sir and how high do you want me to jump. .

April 17, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  140. Vikram Kolluru, Laurel, MD

Honestly I just don't get them.
    Can I use words like insanity, irrational, dumb, moronic in this context.

Why in this sweet world would someone want this bimbo to be the "President of the United States of America". If Palin were to be running again for Presidency anytime soon, I will campaign for Paris Hilton/ Rihanna Ticket

April 17, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  141. Brett Seekford

Palin is very controversial and also very appealing to women and Republicans alike. Some people spend their money to see a speech simply because they love her and her policies. Others just want to see if Sarah messes up during a speech and says something controversial. Even though she wasn't elected Vice President in 2008, many Americans still love her which is enough for them to spend money to see her.

Brett Seekford
    Harrisonburg, VA

April 17, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  142. Dan

It's easy to understand. The fear She puts on all Democrats is worth paying for! Dan Franklin Nashville ,Tennessee

April 17, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  143. Mike

Jack,

This is Mike from DC.

She's a very polarizing figure. Either you love her or you hate her.
    Apparently she will only speak to ardent right wing supporters, which means they love her, and will reach for their wallets.

April 17, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  144. Vegas

She makes people who think like herself reach for their wallets. She's not getting in my purse. I don't believe she should even be in politics. She isn't ready. She's no Hillary Clinton. I don't believe there's anything to her. I believe her crowd is the KKK set, and they have their faves, she's one of them. We live in a very diverse America and she's not for that diversity, neither are her crowds. Sorry, but we're not going back to their dark ages. I'm tired of her and wish that mainstream media would not cover her. We have real problems in the USA and we have a very capable president. He's all I want to hear about, not Sarah, "I don't even do my job in Alaska" Palin.

April 17, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  145. Larry from Georgetown, Texas

The people that throw good money after bad are true Republicans that only watch the F network and in my own humble opinion are stupid. Actually, they have a lot of left over money from the old tax laws under W's reign and want to make sure they get their maximum deduction before the new tax laws take effect. The bottom line is stupid is as stupid does. Maybe the good people in Alaska will vote her out of office in 2010 and she will have a lot of extra time to make a serious run for President in 2012.

April 17, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  146. Gary Street

Why do people put their hard-earned money into ponzi schemes? People often fail to look beyond the sparkles of a former beuty queen or an unblelievable payback.

April 17, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  147. Alan - Buxton, Maine

If she were around me I would reach for my wallet just to make sure it was still there. Wasilla hillbillys are not known for their integrity.

April 17, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  148. Andrew, Chicago

Jack, I think she has the same effect on people as Susan Boyle. People look at them and they think to themselves, gosh if these clowns can do it, so can I! If only Palin was doing something harmless like singing...

April 17, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  149. Bob from Houston

The same thing that caused the wealthy to donate to President Bush; they're afraid of the Democrats.

April 17, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  150. Janice, Illinois

Jack,

April 17, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  151. james

She makes Democrats and independents reach for their wallets, too.... to support the other guy.

April 17, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  152. JoAnn/Las Vegas, NV

Jack,
    Sarah Palin is the only thing left for the right wing religious extremists to hang on to. What is truly interesting, and ironic, is that Sarah admits to thinking about an abortion for herself in a few fleeting moments. That is certainly a choice she wouldn't have if abortion was illegal. Isn't that right, Sarah?

April 17, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  153. Richard Green

I'm not sure, Jack. Her intellect ? Her grasp of world affairs? Her parenting skills? Her solutions for the country's troubles? Her hair?
    Her willingness to say whatever she's told to say? Beats the heck out of me.

Rich Green
    San Clemente, Cal.

April 17, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  154. Jack Martin

Jack
    Reach for my wallet? A barf bag would be more likely. Can the Republican party make itself look any more ridiculous by trying to defend this person as a viable candidate for a national office? She is as silly as those "freedom fries", "freedom toast" and "you're doing a heckuva job Brownie" talking points. When will the Republicans return to adulthood?
    Jack from Boynton Beach FL

April 17, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  155. Debra

It's the lipstick! Everyone needs a laugh! Between her bad grammar and her lack of knowledge, she is hilarious! She has to run for President in 2012. We want a slam dunk! .....President Obama will use her lipstick to seal his win.

April 17, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  156. Moe Dallas tx

Because she is honest and sincere..No other politician comes across as strong as she does..

April 17, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  157. rich philadelphia pa

Don't underestimate what a pretty face can accomplish, name me one person who has ever "read" the sports illustrated swimsuit edition? The
    prosecution rests.

April 17, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  158. Melissa

Does she really? Or does she make the fundamentalist far right anarchists reach for their wallets? I'm betting that I'm right and its just the extremists that she appeals to because of her extreme idealistic view of the world. The extremists want to think that the whole world will act and think like her but life doesn't work that way. She isn't representative of real life. Especially given that she has the IQ of a twig.

April 17, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  159. Melissa

The only political person I reach for my wallet for is Obama. The Palinizer doesn't even remotely enter into the picture. Why oh why won't she just go away?

April 17, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  160. Rajesh from NY

I wouldn't spend a dime to listen to one of her speech. She may have a good heart (a breath of fresh air, as some people claim), but when she was talking about her baby and pregnancy, none of them came from her heart. She was just reading from the speech written on a piece of paper. True mother's love need not come from made up speeches, it should come from the heart. As far as her political ambitions, thats a perfect "Bridge to Nowhere"

April 17, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  161. chris, CA

Because, amazingly, there are many people in this country who are even more ignorant than she is. They want someone in office who is "more on their level."

April 17, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  162. coninpa

"People" have been fascinated with...
    OJ
    Anna Nicole
    Hulk Hogan
    and now Octomom!!
    But I wouldn't want them to be President of the United States!

Just b/c she can DRAW a crowd...
    doesn't mean she is intelligent nor qualified!!
    She is a "media phenom"...nothing more!

April 17, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  163. Nolan

People reach for their wallets when she speaks for the same reason they did when Jim Bakker or those other televangelist crooks spoke: Palin panders to the lower social strata, and she plays on their fears; She also parrots all those tired Bush-era buzzwords (usually, in an unintelligible fashion) that these good ol' folks want to hear. It's bandwagon politics, with lots of mudslinging and slanderous finger pointing at the 'liberals' and the 'gays' and the 'abortionists' and the 'activist judges' as the cause of the nation's woes, just the way Jimmy Swaggart used to point his finger at 'Satan'. She made me reach for my wallet all right, because I didn't give to the Obama campaign until I heard Sarah Palin speak.

April 17, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  164. Bill in San Jose

Might as well throw your money out with the trash. This person is an epic failure!

April 17, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  165. Sher F.

Hey Jack, that question has me reaching for my wallet to ask, "How much to get rid of that silly joke of a woman and her old news?" My gag reflexes are worn out!

Sher F.
    Eugene, Oregon

April 17, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  166. Mike Vaughn

Jack when you talk nonsense I guess it's easy to appeal to extremist

April 17, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  167. Eric Bracke

She's beautiful, smart, and a great speaker. Her values are represented in a large number of the american public. The democratic inspired/supported media (including you Jack), love to attack and denagrate her which in turns makes people come to her side for support. She is not going away anytime soon.

April 17, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  168. Anita from Tennessee

It shows that there are still a lot of people out there that cannot think for themselves, have more money than brains, and are out for the entertainment. Poor souls–they should donate to a worthy cause and help many who could really use assistance.

I guess it really shows how low the average intellect is of the far right conservatives. No wonder President Obama keeps talking about people getting an education!

April 17, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  169. Krystal, CA

For the same reason cult-like organizations manage to get people to donate all of their worldly possessions Jack.... Racists, religious zealots, and plain ignorant people will pay big money for someone extreme enough to schill for their beliefs and paranoid fears. Unfortunately, there are many such people in modern day America...

April 17, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  170. Mark WI.

Jack: I would reach for my wallet only to buy ear plugs!

April 17, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  171. Broiler

The Absence of Humility! Without typical vetting by the larger public, Palin was thrust onto the national stage and Republicans had no choice but to blindly accept her even though she has proven repeatedly that she is not qualified to lead on the national stage. Now rather than admit exercizing poor judgement, many Republicans will do anything (include giving money) to convince themselves that they weren't deceived into supporting Palin in the first place because it would expose a personal flaw. The real irony is that the religious right (most of Palin supporters) should be practicing humility before God and man but it's the absence of humility that keeps Palin "alive".

April 17, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  172. jake

I would want to make sure it was still there,and that family wasn't off on shopping spree with the cash and credit cards.

April 17, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  173. Arlene-- Roselle, Illinois

She has nice glasses, smile's a lot, and wear's nice clothes.
    Oh, is there something else?

April 17, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  174. Dave Smith, Oklahoma

Since when has it be difficult for a good looking woman to get men or women to give her money?

April 17, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  175. john christopher - saskatchewan

After 5 minutes of listening to her, the eyes glaze over and disorientation begins. Reaching for the wallet is a natural reflex to check that it is still there. Kinda like the old daze when people were caught up watching public hangings of pickpockets. Then, in a moment of lucidity, you take out a $10, which you donate. It's a small price to pay to make sure she leaves.

April 17, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  176. Moses

People support her because she comes across as being one of them. A parent that loves hockey, daughter who gets knocked up in high school and what it seems on TV is that she is commited Christian. People can identify with Sarah because they experience the same issues. Thank god the majority of Americans do not listen to her because will be in big trouble.

April 17, 2009 at 4:47 pm |
  177. Michelle, New Haven CT

For the same reason people bought pet rocks . . .

April 17, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  178. ET

Why all this hyperventilating about Palin? We voted someone devoid of a single original idea not once but twice into the highest office. We took comfort in knowing that the man who governed our country was not any smarter than any of us, someone we could imagine having beer with. She can’t do worse, can she?

April 17, 2009 at 4:53 pm |
  179. Brian Mesa, AZ

David Alexandria, VA: You are absolutely right. I would not have voted for Obama if Palin had not been there. She convinced me to pull the lever for BHO.

April 17, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  180. Andrew

Fools and their money are soon separated

April 17, 2009 at 4:55 pm |
  181. KG, Twin Cities, MN

It's the old adage, Jack - a fool and his money are easily parted.

April 17, 2009 at 4:57 pm |
  182. Linda in Arizona

She appeals to a certain number of hateful, degenerate, violent, ignorant white trash. If they want to give her money, who's going to stop them?

April 17, 2009 at 4:58 pm |
  183. Mike Syracuse, NY

Because she's unique Jack. She's a self-made successful female governor who isn't brainwashed by the feminazi rhetoric. We are so used to seeing prominent female political figures who consistently spout the far left mantra, it's a welcome change to have someone who thinks for herself.

April 17, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  184. Happy in Arizona

Ignorance. There's not too many smart people in this world.

April 17, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  185. Patricia

I have a couple of relatives who were fierce supporters of Palin and from them I gather that they feel just as choked off from America as we Obama fans did under Bush.
    She epitomizes a blend of Miss America, Annie Get Your Gun and Barbie. She's pretty and funny and has plenty of spunk. Her values and policies and education are just as simple as those of the people who love her and–for now–she has the microphone. She's really the opposite of Obama, when you think about it. Anti-world, anti-pragmatism, anti-future.

Boise

April 17, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  186. Karen from Texas

Who knows? One thing is for sure, I know the amount should be a lot if they give a dollar for each time she states the phrase "you bettcha"!!

April 17, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  187. David A Whitaker

This maybe their last chance for the republicans to have someone american want to talk about. Who else do the republicans have to attract a audience, and the news media is willing to following.

April 17, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  188. MNResident

Democrats reach for their wallets because of what she represents.

Republicans reach for their wallets because of what she represents.

See the point? She really IS a uniting figure........

April 17, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  189. Matt in Stafford, VA

It's simple Jack. How do you shut up a (now irrelevant) GOP hardliner? Money, money, money.

April 17, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  190. Jane - WI

Sarah Palin is real, she is a true conservative, and she has charisma. did you ask this question when it was people opening up their wallets to Barack Obama? If it is "cult like" to give money to Sarah Palin, then it is equally "cult like" to give it to Barack Obama. I find it interesting that the liberals on this site who think people should give their money to worthy causes rather than to Gov. Palin are probably the same idiots who gave Mr. obama almost a BILLION dollars!!! How much "health care" could that billion have bought for the so called poor? How many could it have fed and clothed? For those who claim it is ignorance that causes people to give money, the same is quite obvious to those who gave money to Obama - he was never vetted and our country is paying the price for his extremism.

April 17, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  191. Elle

Since when has Palin been OUT of the spotlight? As soon as she was announced as McCain’s VP pick she’s been in the spotlight and has fought to stay in it. People give her money because they think some day she’ll run for President. Might as well start rubbing noses now.

Elle
    Pullman, WA

April 17, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  192. Norman Hoffman

Because I want to make sure she hasn't picked my pocket.

Norman
    Marietta, Ga

April 17, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  193. Emmanuel

She's a perfect puppet. That is it. We saw that as she sabotaged McCains run for president by being more of a republican mouth piece than his pick for vice, and we can see that now.

April 17, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  194. Claudia in Alaska

Fear is definitely why I would give money in the name of Sarah Palin...Fear of having her reelected as governor! I will give as much as possible to her opponent.

April 17, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  195. Thom Richer

Gee. I didn't know they did. Maybe to hail a cab and get as far away as possible?

Thom Richer
    Negaunee, MI

April 17, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  196. Danielle

I think Sarah Palin is the anti-Obama antidote. She is everything he is not; she appeals to self-described rednecks, lacks worldliness, and intellilect, is uninformed, incurious, and ready to push her religious values onto the whole country.

April 17, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  197. Shara

Sarah Palin may help republicans raise money, but she also does the same for democrats. As I recall, the night of the republican convention President Obama raised 10 million dollars.

April 17, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  198. Michael, Liverpool, NY

She's a passionate woman who speaks with conviction; qualities that make her a natural leader and people whose thinking coincides with her point of view will rally and cough up money, For the rest of us she is a pain in the butt but soem like me see her as a worthy adversary.

April 17, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  199. Juanita from Detroit

You either love her or hate her, either way you are willing to pay for the priviledge of seeing her or the honor and hope that she will somehow just go away.

April 17, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  200. Jim/NC

It's simple...HONESTY and INTEGRITY!! Americans like people who tell the truth regardless of how it may damage their reputation. These virtues are lacking in many of President Obama's picks.

April 17, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  201. JohnC

"Why does Palin make people reach for their wallets?"–to make sure it hasn't been stolen.

April 17, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  202. Janice

They are people who like beauty queen welfare.

April 17, 2009 at 5:57 pm |
  203. Eric

Because she is more like the rest of us than you are.

April 17, 2009 at 5:57 pm |
  204. Barbara Independent in NY

Jack, some people are just attracted to shallow and self centered.

April 17, 2009 at 5:59 pm |
  205. Kevin

I dont no why anyone would open their wallets for her , but I do hope she runs for president , it will be like watching Saturday Night Live when she's on the Sunday news shows . I cant wait .

April 17, 2009 at 6:04 pm |
  206. Rafael VA

The fact that the left hates her cause they see her as a potential problem for them in 2012 or 2016. I mean i makes me want to donate money to her just to make the left upset even more.

April 17, 2009 at 6:06 pm |
  207. Manuel

She does that en ensure that they are "pro America." Also the people have become accustomed to reimbursing others for having to listen to them speak for an certain length of time, for at times no good reason at all!; especially if this person is considered a name of "great recognition."

April 17, 2009 at 6:08 pm |
  208. Curtis, KS

Gov Palin is the genuine article. She is an unapologetic conservative – and that makes liberals, and some of your viewers, crazy. For them it is okay to force liberal views on other Americans, but certainly not conservative views.

You only have to consider that when she was nominated critics were quick to compare her to the Democratic presidential nominee, not the vice-presidential nominee.

She still has more executive leadership experience than our current president.

April 17, 2009 at 6:09 pm |
  209. Joan in Canada

This woman is a disaster waiting to happen !!! She is completely out of touch with the world.

I would pay just to have her NOT speak !!!!

If this is all the Republican party has to offer – Lord help us all !!

April 17, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  210. Heather

It's pity, Jack. Pity is why people are giving her money.

April 17, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  211. Mike, from Florida

She makes me reach for my wallet so I can check my license to make sure that I am still, in fact, an American. That woman, with know knowledge of international relations or how a population larger than a million works, would ruin this nation if she were ever in charge of it.

April 17, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  212. Maria

One word, Jack: Entertainment.

April 17, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  213. Clark, Milford, IN

I live in Indiana and wouldn't cross the street to see her

April 17, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  214. Karina

Maybe everyone's pitching in to buy Palin a big plane ticket out of the country, or better yet, to another galaxy.

April 17, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  215. Elijah K

It's like buying a ticket to a show Jack, anytime you see her there's bound to be something to laugh at.

April 17, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  216. Alex

I'm not sure, but I'll gladly give her some money if she promises to buy some books and learn a thing or two with it.

April 17, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  217. Torrence

Jack wallet?? when I see her on tv, i'm reaching for my remote .. and changing the channel.

April 17, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  218. xlearner

same reason, loonie oba-bots were reaching their wallets for obama!

April 17, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  219. Curtis, KS

Whenever you have a candidate that is well spoken, good looking, and supportive of their party's positions you have a potential winner – hey, it worked for our current president.

April 17, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  220. George from Ottawa

Because unlike Obama, Reid and Pelosi she is real, genuine and consistent.

April 17, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  221. ed

Jack it's all about a hockey mom who can see Russia from her house.

April 17, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  222. Sean Winchell

What is it about Sarah Palin that makes people reach for their wallets? Well on the right, it is ideological myopia, and on the left it is fear.

Sean Winchell
    Kansas City, MO.

April 17, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  223. Gene

Jack, take your choice
    1.Ignorance
    2.stupidity
    3.insanity

April 17, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  224. Chris H.

The people who give money to her are still upset that McCain lost. They don't care about the truth and live in a false sense of reality. They allow the college dropouts Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity to think for them.

April 17, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  225. Kimberly

It's the glasses!!!!

April 17, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  226. jeanne johnson

Because she's honest and sincere. i guess the same reason Democrats try to demonize her.

April 17, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  227. Lilly

I reached for my wallet and contributed to Obama's campaign after I found out more about Palin...she comes across as a scary racist religious whacko by making ignorant comments about Obama "not like the rest of us" and he "pals around with terrorists". If she runs in 2012, I am ready to contribute to the maximum legal amount to make sure she is defeated!

April 17, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  228. FRANK MAZER

After Bush, Cheney and McCaine is it any wonder that Republicans are high on Palin.

I think at this point Bill Maher could raise funds for conservative causes if he was willing.

April 17, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  229. Jess

Because she's real. She means what she says and says what she means no matter if a poll tells her to or not. Quite refresheing!

April 17, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  230. Jim Scullans- Port St Lucie, Florida

To answer your question Jack, one word "insanity".

April 17, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  231. Adriana RM Atlanta

Gov. Sarah Palin has that uncanny ability to make people feel, that she is talking to the personally. Along with her youth and charisma she gives the Republican base a new look.

April 17, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  232. Jim Levine

It's really not hard to explain. People give and vote for people they find attractive. Who wouldn't donate to a cute Tina Fey lookalike?

Jim

April 17, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  233. David Clementina

The United States is a big country, so if you can't persuade half a billion people, there is another billion you could persuade to open up their wallets.

David,
    Rotterdam, Holland

April 17, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  234. feroze ali

Sarah Palin's simple down to earth honest to goodness basic american values and words is what will make me empty my wallet

April 17, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  235. Terry

Pure Habit Jack. When ever there's a Republican in the room, erverybody either grabs their wallets or hides there wallets. Because we know it's going to cost us in the long run.

April 17, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  236. Amarissa

She is honest, Jack, she is one of us. Not an elitist or a fake. Common people can identify with her and we are the majority! Her virtues are not seen in most of our elected officials and that is why she is being put down, because she is a threat to them. She is here to stay, whether you like it or not. She has a huge following regardless of the media's opinion and constant mocking.
    Amarissa, Miami, Florida

April 17, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  237. Jeffery, Toledo, Ohio

Beats the heck out of me Jack. God forbid this woman should ever be elected president–she'll make Dubya look like Abraham Lincoln.

April 17, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  238. Adrien Lopez

Being born and raised in Alaska and now having lived a number of years outside of the state and the country, I know how much Alaska is seen by most as this exotic, unknown place that they have always wanted to visit.... a place where a common phrase about the state with the highest number of men per capita is that "the goods are odd, but the odds are good" and our women, like Palin, are an interesting mix with a high dose of masculinity and outdoors. More than Palin, I think people in the Lower 48 are enthralled with the phenomenon of Alaska. I can't say I am very proud of how Palin (and former Senator Stevens) have made us as Alaskans look to the rest of the world.

April 17, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  239. Linda

Sarah Palin speaks from the heart. She don't care about the latest poll or what is politically correct or the good old boy establishment. They don't vote or support her away.

April 17, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  240. Immy

Because we have not learned our less yet. We need to get another President with a C grade average.that had to go to 5 universities to get a 4 year arts degree. Not very smart.

April 17, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  241. Immy

People are reaching for their wallets to pay her to leave for Russia permanently !

April 17, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  242. Kitty

I have tremendous respect for Sarah Palin. We have a congress full of people now who think it is okay to kill and experiment on the unborn. It's good to know there are some leaders who will stand up for the unborn.
    Life is life!

April 17, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  243. Immy

Simple Jack, To pay for her return ticket. back to ..back to USSR

April 17, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  244. Dr,. Paul R. VeHorn, Ph.D.

This is really laughable...to make sure their pockets are not being picked?...W.C. Fields said there is a sucker born every minute and two to take him...as an ex-republican (i.e. ex-sucker)...I can only hope she keeps it up so she can buy a new wardrobe for her next run...

April 17, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  245. Patrick

Jack, It's simple, everyone loves a freak show!!

April 17, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  246. Sanabel El-Hakeem

The reason Sarah Palin makes people reach for their wallets, is the same reason O'Bama makes people reach for their wallets!

Sanabel El-Hakeem

April 17, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  247. Jay in Texas

Maybe it's not what you seem to think. They may be reaching for their wallets to make sure they haven't been pick-pocketed. They probably remember that Palin's running mate, Senator John McCain, raced Senator Obama to Washington, last fall, to vote FOR the biggest Bailout for the super-rich in our nation's history ! This despite the fact that over 90% of Americans who called their elected representatives opposed this gigantic giveaway.
    Brownwood, Texas

April 17, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  248. Purnell, Kankakee, IL.

She is like a slot machine you put your quarter in just hoping she might say something bright for once, but we all know the house is favored it’s thier machine. And the Republicans betting heavy in her favor only proves how desparate they truely are for a leader!

April 17, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  249. miguel gonzales

Jack,they do it for the same reasons that some people pay Paris Hilton to appear at parties and night clubs.

April 17, 2009 at 6:35 pm |