April 14th, 2009

Confidence in Pres. Obama to fix economy?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

"By no means are we out of the woods," said President Obama in a warning to Americans regarding the economy. In a speech today, the president once again talked of "glimmers of hope," yet balanced that by saying there's no doubt that times are still tough.

Despite economic woes, the U.S. majority places its trust in the president.

President Obama says a full recovery depends on a new foundation for the economy. He also blamed politics as usual and the media for making the situation worse. Nonetheless, even as President Obama warned that tough economic times and choices lie ahead, it looks like he has a majority of the country behind him.

In fact, Americans place more trust in the president than anyone else when it comes to fixing the economy. A new Gallup poll shows 71 percent of those surveyed have confidence in the president to do or recommend the right thing for the economy. Compare that to 49 percent who have confidence in Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke; and 47 percent who have confidence in Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner.

We're talking here about people who are specifically tasked with fixing the economy, yet the president rates much higher.

Mr. Obama also kills the Republicans on this issue. A new CNN-Opinion Research Corporation poll shows more than twice as many Americans say the president has a clear plan for solving our economic problems than Republicans in Congress - 58 to 24 percent.

Not even Republicans are confident in Republicans - only 36 percent of them think the party's leadership has a clear plan.

Here's my question to you: How much confidence do you have in President Obama to fix the economy?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Liz from Los Angeles writes:
I have tremendous confidence. After all, this whole mess is at least in part a crisis of confidence, and he positively exudes confidence. Even if you don't like his policies, you've got to respect that he's doing an excellent job at not making us more skittish than we already are, and not trying to pull the wool over our weary eyes.

Jack from West Virginia writes:
With all this big government, I believe we are heading down the path to fascism. I don’t have much faith in what this president is doing.

Conor from Chicago writes:
I don't have confidence in anybody fixing the economy.

Brad writes:
With the economy starting to perk up, I think that Obama's plan is already starting to work. The Republicans, as always, are just clueless.

Sentell writes:
Anybody with a brain can see that we are in better shape now since the Obama team started doing what is necessary to fix the economy.

Pete from New York writes:
As a productive member of the economy (part of the minority which actually pays income taxes) I have no confidence in the Democratic plans. Obama's out-of-control spending over the coming years will prevent private industry from generating jobs and now we hear that as of NEXT year the Social Security receipts go into deficit and the shortfall will have to be made up out of general revenue. The outlook is not good.

Sly from Alpena, Michigan writes:
Ask me this same question 3 years from now, and you'll have my answer.

Filed under: Economy • President Barack Obama
  1. Kevin in Dallas, TX

Four years, or even 8 years is not enough time to fix the economy. Obama can keep us afloat, but to actually fix the economy is going to take a very long time. Things won't be fixed with broad sweeping action. It's going to take fine tuning and a watchful eye, and that takes time.

April 14, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  2. Chuck in Warren Ohio

Jack: I know President Obama will fix the economy. The real question is when will we see the perpetrators go to jail???

April 14, 2009 at 1:32 pm |
  3. George, Dunedin, Florida

It has always been my belief that the Democrats are the best ones to handle the economy, and my reasoning is that most Democrats are not so self serving as to not care about the little people too. If people are too dense to not have noticed the difference between the two parties by now, then we have a big problem. Ot is my hope, and my prayer that the public, and I mean all Americans can see that difference. and we are done with self servitude in our government...

April 14, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  4. Faith from Milford, Massachusetts

COMPLETE confidence Jack. I have never had so much confidence in a President in my life time. What a nice change! I supported Obama during the campaign, and continue to trust him immensely. Things are starting to look up, but he's forward in letting us know that it's not going to happen overnight. He's forthright, honest, true to his word, and a great leader. He talks the talk and walks the walk!!

April 14, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  5. Melissa

Very much. What he, and his administration, have been doing already show signs of working. He's doing a very good job.

April 14, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  6. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Hi Jack,

if I were to express to you my confidence in percentage number by giving you a number like 150% confident in the President Obama to fix the economy; you would certainly claim that I am too confident...and I would gladly reply back that you are 150% wrong!:>) That confidence is not because of one person i.e. the President! This confidence comes because of a President that gets it i.e. the need to build a new economic foundations for this century! And this confidence can raise to 200% because this President is not afraid to say exactly what is happening and what needs to change with a real vision...and I would push this confidence to 250%...because this President is actually working every single day to actually fix and rebuild a new economy...I could even push to 300% my confidence if I get to see later on even more gutsy actions from the President for oher changes...yes it is possible to see other unprecedented changes for an economy that will serve and protect the american people!

April 14, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  7. Mr. A

It's not up to the president to fix the economy. This is a job for all of us. That said, his advice will only be as good as how we apply it in our lives. If Americans can remember the basics of fiscal responsibility, and not overspending our means, then we'll be able to get out of the hole we've dug for ourselves.

Plainville, MA

April 14, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  8. Dave, Brooklyn, NY

With the Republicans throwing up roadblocks on every road, not much. The Bush years pretty much totaled the economy anyway and I don’t think anyone can fix it. But even so, he is still going at it the wrong way. Stimulus is still trickle down, no matter how you look at it, and we all know that that just doesn’t work. We’ve been trying it since the Reagan years.

April 14, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  9. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Jack: If at best he is unsuccessful--at least he trying--it will self-correct-–just needs a little BoBomania!

April 14, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  10. David Bebeau,Springfield Missouri

Jack
    Allot of confidence and it will get fixed.The mess caused by out of control greed was huge..................
    Be patient and it will come together.
    David

April 14, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  11. Jim

Jack,

Even though Rush and the rest of the Republican leadership are propagandizing Obama at every turn and praying for him to fail, the effect on the nation be damned, I have complete confidence in this President. He has the intelligence and pragmatic staff that Bush lacked, and he clearly is not intimidated by an increasingly trivial and ridiculous Republican Party.

Jim
    Reno, Nevada

April 14, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  12. Harold from Anchorage,AK

Yes, indeed. Our retirement annuity, which had been ready to tank; is starting to recover. an important thing since we are in our 60's and are bone tired from working our tails off for more than 40 years

April 14, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  13. Mollie in Austin

Jack, The puppet Master will put on a good show – he has been appointed to do just that – gain the confidence of the people & have them like you for they will not know what hit them.

Confidence? Banks go bezeerk, police state, taxes, taxes & more taxes. What's next Marshall law? Is this country following Russia's path?

I think we are being lied to and we may never know the truth besides Obama is a part of the Bildeberg group – nuff said.

April 14, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  14. Russ in PA

Of course he can't! The government – and that includes both Democrats and Republicans – created the economic mess by means of the Fed and politicized intervention. Both parties are happy to spend without end, pandering to all interests in an effort to garner votes and power. Until people wake up, and demand an end to the Fed, and a return to our Constitution, the economic mess will continue for years and years, buoyed up by clueless politicians.

April 14, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  15. Terry from North Carolina

Jack
    I believe this President will give it his best shot, however I also believe the economy is too far gone and we may remain as we are for a long long time.

April 14, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  16. Kathy/ GA

Oh please. After the last eight years I have confidence even in Bo Obama.

April 14, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  17. John from Alabama

Jack: I will give President Obama and his economic team 7 points out of a possible 10 points they will turn the economy in the right direction by December 2010. I'll take bets on it.

April 14, 2009 at 1:59 pm |
  18. Mark in OKC

I have ZERO confidence that Mr. Obama could fix anything! How could he fix it, he's never had a REAL JOB in his entire life. Asking that question is like asking if I have confidence that my dog can drive a car.

April 14, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  19. Bill Davis

More than his predecessor. Of course, I think his new dog could do a better job than that guy.

Bill D
    Champaign, IL

April 14, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  20. Rick Medina,OH

Jack,

President's don't fix the economy ... we've had 44 since the 'American Experiment' began ... I wonder how many could read a financial statement. Where this President has excelled, is he's hired folks who can.

Rick, OH

April 14, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  21. Jerry Alpharetta, GA

I do not have much confidence given the way the bailouts are structured and the degree of competence those responsible for carrying out the plans have demonstrated to date. I feel as though President Obama has made many mistakes and miscalculations. My one hope is that I am dead wrong, after-all I did vote for George Bush and that was a big mistake.

April 14, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  22. Tom in Desoto Texas

I have a lot more confident in Obama and the democrats. We are experiencing what the Bush regime has done. It seems with the republicans complaining since Jan 20th, they've been asleep and just voted in lockstep with Bush since 2001. Now they have to see what they have done.

April 14, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  23. JD in NH

I have complete confidence in President Obama. In fact, for the first time in many years, I can sleep through the night without waking up and worrying what shoe will drop next. Obama is an intelligent man who can not only walk and chew gum at the same time, but play a game of chess as well. We are very, very lucky he won the election.

April 14, 2009 at 2:09 pm |
  24. peteinny

WHAT A QUESTION ON THE DAY BEFORE TAX DAY!

As a productive member of the economy- i.e. part of the minority which actually pays income taxes I have no confidence in the Democratic plans. Obama's out of control spending over the coming years will prevent private industry from generating jobs and now we hear that as of NEXT year the Social Security receipts go into deficit and the shortfall will have to be made up out of general revenue. The outlook is not good for anyone who doesn't have a government salary or handout!

April 14, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  25. Ramona L. Salden

I am so proud to have a grown-up for a President!!! I beleive he has done an amazing job in a short tiime, you can feel the "glimmer of Hope" out in the public spaces–people are just cheerier!

April 14, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  26. Michael H., Albuquerque, NM

While there are plenty of critics, pundits and armchair ideologues blowing hot air. There is no real alternative to Obama's plan. Getting the banks to open up and hand out credit and money is the first thing in Obama's plan. Then see that it gets to businesses for payroll and supplies. Lend to manufacuting companies and rebuild infrustructer. Invest in new energy technologies and provide student loans for the next generation of engineers and creative minds.
    To not have confidence in Obama's plan is to hope in the failure of the sunrising tommorow.

April 14, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  27. Tom from Philly

I have never had more confidence in a president, been more sure of his mental acuity and sense of right and wrong. 'if he cant do it no one can' We have had plenty of presidents who 'presided' over the country, this one is getting down and getting his hands dirty to do everything in his power to guide america forward. I am so so so glad mcHoover didnt win we tryied that before, the economic policies of pre 1931 didnt work then, why would ithey have worked now......

By the way i find it comical and very just that those with the upper incomes who 'provide' jobs with low pay and no healthcare, are going to be taxed at a more fair rate to expand coverage. If they had just kept everyone in the pool we wouldnt be in the fix we are now. But we had to destroy the middle class for the benifit of the few. In the words of an upper income person to me justifying why he shouldnt pay tax: "there are more of you than there are of me" i agree voters too!!

April 14, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  28. Dean in PA

I have a lot more confidence in the President and his team than I would have in a party that can't even find a leader to identify with since November.

April 14, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  29. David of Alexandria VA

About 30% - if you count getting the right solution. Mr. Obama has his staff following a playbook in terms of stimulous. meantime, he is out doing his usual rhetorical strumping for his "right solution." No doubt, the economy will heal itself with some of the help it needs for liquidity and money flow.

But, it seems that every program Mr. Obama wants to ram through (health care, energy, virtual nationalization of the banking industry, growth of government, wealth redistribution) is tied to the economy. This sounds a lot like Bush when he tied everything to "global terrorism" and we lived to regret a lot of it.

Getting the economy moving again, he'll probably do. But what we're left with at the end of this is anyone's guess - and I am worried.

April 14, 2009 at 2:51 pm |
  30. Jack From WV

With all this big government I believe we are heading down the path of fascism not much faith in this.

April 14, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  31. KimSmith, Dodge City, Kansas

I have full confidence that President Obama will present us with an opportunity for our elected officials to do the right thing. While he can not single handedly restore our country, he can create, or force if need be, an atmosphere that may produce results. Although most of us have faith in the President, very few have a "glimmer of hope" when it comes to Congress.

April 14, 2009 at 2:55 pm |
  32. Daniel Indiana

My confidence in Obama waned recently, when he told the autoworkers to take a fifty percent cut in pay, in order to receive taxpayer money, while taxpayers are supporting a raise to Federal government workers and the bankers and AIG managers are allowed to sustain their out of control salaries. The Republicans were doing what they could, on the "sly", to allow the corporations to hurt the worker's pay. Now, we have Obama doing more than the Republicans ever imagined by telling the autoworkers that they must take half their present pay. That is sure helping the rich to widen the gap. This is just more proof that America really is a plutocratic oligarchy.

April 14, 2009 at 2:55 pm |
  33. Larry from Georgetown, Texas

I wouldn't bet the farm on anyone person being able to solve this issue but would place him at the top of the list and the Republicans somewhere below zero. However, if I was wealthy then I would want the Republican way of lower taxes for the rich so I could trickle down to the bank. I'm just glad that McCain didn't win.

April 14, 2009 at 2:56 pm |
  34. Ann from Hampton, New Jersey

More confidence than in Geithner, who should insist the President allows him to resign. Unable to fathom how he even got the job. Look at the mess he came from.

April 14, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  35. Ron Kepics

Hi Jack:

I think he can stabilize the economy. Fix is rather a broad term. I don't see much hope in resolving the debt. The pumped too much tax payer dollars to the folks that manufactured this mess to begin with. They need to throw them behind bars for life. Not buy them a new Caddy, Whoops sorry GM is sinking in the tide. New Rolls Royce and jet airplanes. Oh we can't forget the millions in retainer bonuses. If it were me driving the bus. Every one of them would have my boot print where the sun don't shine.

Ron Temecula, CA

April 14, 2009 at 2:59 pm |
  36. LUCI - ILLINOIS

100 percent confident. I think he can do it because he cares about this Country and not about the rich getting richer. Can you imagine the bigger mess we would be in if the other party had won? Humm.

April 14, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  37. David in San Diego

I am confident that his intelligence, humanity, and good judgment will allow his various economy-related teams to do better than any other political group could to regain our economic equilibrium. Do I think it will be quick or easy? No, it won't. But we are fortunate to have the Obama administration in charge of addressing this problem.

April 14, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  38. Don (Ottawa)

If Obama can't fix it, nobody can!

April 14, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  39. Mark, Berwyn PA

None. The economy will fix itself. Always does, always has and always will. The only thing a politician can do to the economy is harm it.

April 14, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  40. Beau in Fredericksburg Virginia

If he continues to follow the same failed policies as George W Bush, than I have none, Jack. We need to allow the free market to fix this problem not the Fed. People are blaming Capitalism when we have not had capitalism for some time now. I was expecting change from this administration not more bailouts, sedative packages, and federal reserve notes printed out of thin air.

April 14, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  41. Jackie in Dallas

April 14th, 2009 2:22 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    I have a lot of confidence that the economy will be fixed, but not simply by President Obama. He can’t do it alone, or even with legislation. What he IS offering is a calm voice at the helm, programs that give people hope, and an acknowledgement that there is a problem. That ultimately will be what helps the economy recover.

The true problem with the Republicans, and why I feel that they can’t come up with reasonable alternatives, is they do not truly believe that there IS a problem. After all, THEIR constituents — big businss and the rich — still have health care, still have money and homes, and are still off-shoring more of their money and our jobs to overseas.

April 14, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  42. Allen, Hartwell GA

Jack, I don't have confidence in any one person to "fix" the economy, however President Obama seems capable of leading the willing to fix it. In the end it's up to us as individuals, rich and poor, to take what the experts say are the necessary steps to get our country back or track.

April 14, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  43. Lance in Ca

While the FED, Treasury, and Summer was a sure hit to my belief system, I am heartened that monthly increases to incomes from lower home mortgages, lower taxes, and regulating financial and oil/energy industries will result in a halt in sliding home prices.

How about letting us ALL re-fi at the lower rates. Monthly Enery and Gas bills aren't going to get any cheaper. Cheaper than giving it to the banks and the extra money would go right into the economy ANYWAY!...to the SAME banks!

April 14, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  44. Larry -- Belton TX

Any man who can get more commoners to send him billions during the campaign, more than anyone else in history, is surely able to direct economic strategy.

April 14, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  45. Bruce Blackmon

I think the economy will fix itself despite how much money we throw at the problem. I just wish they would bail us out. We didn't create this economy yet we're all suffering.

April 14, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  46. Louise in Alabama

Everything I have or will have is hanging on his intelligence. He will do just fine.

April 14, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  47. Larry -- Belton TX

Yes. In fact, he helped during the doggy press confrence. I am buying stock in stout leashes and dog treats.

April 14, 2009 at 5:08 pm |
  48. Annie, Atlanta

If we keep bleeding jobs at the present rate, nobody is going to be able to fix the economy. At least not for the middle and lower classes.

April 14, 2009 at 5:08 pm |
  49. Ken in NC

Jack, I don't think he can fix the economy but I do think he can lead us out of the mess we are in. I am very confident of that based on the fact that he has put together a fine team to do the job and he listens to them when they give input.

April 14, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  50. Liz in Los Angeles, CA

April 14, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  51. Daniel, Green

None. He is just as much a war-socialist as Bush. We need someone like Ron Paul or Dennis Kuchinich who realize you can't spend on both guns and butter.

April 14, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  52. Ed

No official should be allowed to discuss the economy without being hooked up to a polygraph. I haven't seen such a total disregard for the truth since Reagan was in office.

April 14, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  53. Brad Givens

With the economy already starting to perk up I think that Obama's plan is already starting to work. The republicans as always are just clueless.

April 14, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  54. Biniam

Atleast he has a plan that seems to work. Most of all it is better than what republicans are talking about, which is doing nothing.

April 14, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  55. Lee In Minnesota

I have complete confidence in President Obama solving our economic problems. The sad part is, could anyone possibly do worse than the last Administration.

April 14, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  56. Sly, Alpena, Mi

Ask me this same question 3 years from now, and you'll have my answer.

April 14, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  57. sentell

anybody with a brain can see that we are in better shape now since obama team started doing what is necessary to fix the economy.

April 14, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  58. JT

I have total confidence in President Obama and his team to solve our economic problems in the long run. That, in spite of the sour grapes of the Rush Republicans who hope Obama fails even if it means the country goes with him.

April 14, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  59. Julian Torrey

About 4.7 trillion times more in Obama than in the GOP.

April 14, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  60. Chris, Minnesota

It's probably more true that Republicans have little confidence that Republicans will get a chance to be heard, given Congress' democratic majority. That's what we've seen thus far.

April 14, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  61. Barlin Abdule

I trust Obama to help with our economy. If he gets re-elected that is, since I hardly think this is something that can be done in just one term.

April 14, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  62. Scott, Scottsdale, AZ

Absolutely I trust President Obama to fix the economy. Everyone but the president seems more concerned about retaining the status quo than helping hurting Americans. Maybe some day soon republicans will stop being obstructionists and the democrats will remember their pre-election commitments. Hopefully, in my life time, we will once again be a shining example of democracy and what we can do when we set our minds to a common purpose.

April 14, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  63. Jim Blevins

Obama is doing what Obama does best - pulling in all the right experts and making sure that they keep their eye on the ball. This always produces the best results.

Jim, Craig, CO

April 14, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  64. Guy

Absolutely not.
    Another president that campaigned towards what the people wanted to hear, and pretty much doesnt make good on any of their plans. Spend spend spend on junk junk junk. Someday we will find a president that actually listens to the people and works with them, instead of works for their self.

April 14, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  65. Michelle

MIchelle in Atlanta

I have confidence in Obama to fix the economy because he has new ideas, solutions that fit the 21st century we now live in and I beleive he works every day to help "we the people", not zee the rich

April 14, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  66. Ted

I am 100% confident that President Obama and his team will fix the economy. We are already seeing results in many areas and this will continue. He obviously has the support of the majority of the American people and this partnership that we feel with the government will help to bolster his efforts. I am very happy with the "glimmers" of hope that he and the rest of us are seeing.

April 14, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  67. Ashkan

Jack,
    Obama is a breath of fresh air. Of course his plan is not perfect, but it is pragmatic and practical. We won't know exactly what needs to be done until after the fact. Sure, some things he does won't help, but I have confidence that he is pushing us in the right direction. Of course, after the last eight years there wasn't much to do but go up.

April 14, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  68. Amy Bosch

All the confidence in the world that Obama has it under control. Just don't let the Republicans get anywhere near the group helping him try to "fix" the economy – THEY are the ones who broke it to begin with. What do they know?!!!! Let Obama perform his magic. He knows more than the rest of them combined.

April 14, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  69. Paul N.

the only wayt the economy is going to be saved is if they pull the troops out now. obama is wasting too much money on the military and bailout plans. he's not even a democrat anymore he's worse than a republican and i'm sorry i voted for him. He's already lied about many things. If they want to have a bailout plan they should be using it on the unemployed and hte schools that were closed down.

– Paul from Florida

April 14, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  70. John from Long Island

If Obama can keep his eye on the ball and if the members of his administration stay focused and true, then I believe he will lead us out of this Bush/Clinton-built quagmire.

April 14, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  71. Rex

I feel that we are going in the right direction but it will not happen overnite. If the Republicans sit on the sideline and do nothing the will not have a party to belong to and become irrelivant.

April 14, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  72. Owen

Jack, I believe the President will have the Economy fixed by Christmas. A big part of the problem was people's outlook on things, and now the housing markets are getting better. Big businesses are learning that have to think smarter, and greener. And most importantly he is working towards the best interest of the country not just special interest.

April 14, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  73. Roanna Martin Peoria, AZ

I believe that President Obama is listening to everyone and making economic decisions based on facts. This gives me incredible confidence in his ability to affect change. Will all of our problems be solved? No, but compared to the last eight years of backward motion moving forward feels great.

April 14, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  74. CRISTINA

Yes, absolutely. It will take a while to fix the economy, since we are still fighting two wars, which were not started by Obama, but Americans need to have patience. Republicans should stop throwing venom at Obama's initiatives.... what have they done in the last 8 years to be proud of? HA.

April 14, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  75. Lester Hunt

What Obama has already done to "fix" the economy will slow the recovery to a snail's pace.

April 14, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  76. Purnell, Kankakee, IL.

No matter what actions the Obama Administraition takes to help the economy the Republicans will be against it, they only care about getting back into office at any cost!

I wish they had just paid off eveyone's mortgage and we could have saved billions if not trillions would have been left to take care of Healthcare, and Education. But that lent triilons to companies that do not want to be regulated now they want to give the money back. But that does not excuse Congress from not doing everything they can to put back into place the regultations that us to protect investors in the past. If congress does not our Economy will fall again!

77. George Beddoe

I have every confidence that President Obama will do everything he can to help the economy heal itself, as it always seems to do, at least in this country. He is a great listening and has great advisers, so he will do what can be done. The economy will recover in its own time.

78. Rita

Yes, I do have confidence in him to fix the economy as well as anyone could at this point.

79. Margaret Peters

I have complete confidence in President Obama's plans to fix the economy. I watched his entire speech today, and agree with the professor who commented that Obama made clear in a short time what he would take 100 pages to explain. Obama is intelligent, focused and pragmatic, willing to listen to those who know more than he does about specific areas. I am so glad he is our President.

80. Angela Cromwell

I have all the confidence in the world in President Obama. It is the 1st president I can remember that actually keeps the people informed on EVERYTHING. I say, GOD BLESS HIM. He has a tough job ahead of him.

81. Joseph Wardy...Randolph, NJ

I have a greart deal of confidence in the President. Why? He has demonstrated an incredible balance of hope with caution knowing fully that the remedy is in the long term. He is teaching the people in our culture that instant gratification works only when on the computer and not realisitic when solving economic problens of this nature.

April 14, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  82. Betty, San Diego, Ca.

There are many and various steps that can be taken to get us out of this economic quagmire. Every time I hear President Obama speak, my confidence in his ability to assemble a grand economic team of advisers that will right the ship is restored.

83. Shirley Mesquite

I am 100% confident that Obama is going to fix the economy. He has displayed from the beginning that he is working for us. The republicans had their chance. Now all of sudden they have a fix. "Give me a break"... They are just making themselves look more like "DUCKS" every day.

84. gerry from Phila., PA

I have a great deal of confidence in him. Although i know he is
    politically saavy, i believe he actually is trying more to see how things can actually be improved. Which is a stark contrast to most politicians, who are more concerned in pleasing their base or watching the polls, expecially the GOP. Just like the circus we
    had for the last 8 years......

85. Bill Brody

Jack,

I've a whole lot more confidence in Obama and his tangible plans and actions than I've had in the past eight years or in the GOP's current political posturing.

86. Marilyn Allers

I am very confident that the President's plan for the economy is the best path for the country and the American people. He is a thoughtful and smart man who is looking out for the good of all. I can not think of anyone that I would rather have making these important decisions for our future.
    Marilyn Allers
    Indio, CA

87. Mary Weiler

Obama only has his agenda regarding the economy. Unfortunately his agenda will not fix the economy.

88. Eric

None. And, where again does our Constitution talk about the "Economist-In-Chief"? He has no business trying to fix it. President Bush had no business trying to fix it. The sooner he/they would stop trying, the better off we would all be.

89. Felicia Thomas

For the past 8 years the republican party has used it expertise to bring us to this economic crisis. At this point President Obama cant take us in any direction worse than what we are already in. To be honest, I trust the new dog Bo more than the republican party!

90. Carolyn

I have lived thru presidents since Isenhour and never have I felt so secure in the presidential leadership as I do with President Obama in the charge. I wanted to vote for Kennedy but things happen before I could do that, Clinton was good and I felt ok about him.Ronald Reagan I never understood why he was so revealed. Exactly what did he do. I am just glad to have a president that presents himself as intelligent, people first then politics

91. Elly

If anyone in government today can recommend the correct policies to fix the US economy it is President Obama. Finally, we have someone who is intelligent, highly educated, and who understands the importance of building up the American Middle Class as opposed to tearing it down, living in the White House.

92. Alex McAnneny, Bonita Springs, Fl

Jack, fixing the economy is President Obama's top issue in his agenda, but America must realize that it will take a while for the economy to recover. The President is doing the best that he can while dealing with everything else he inherited from former President George W. Bush. In the end, I believe the President will be able to lead the economy in the right way, but not fix it completely unless he serves 8 years in the White House

93. Shane

I have confidence in President Obama, not only because he seems to have a clear plan, but also because you economic situation is by having confidence in him.
    I am not surprised by the Republican numbers you showed earlier Jack, because they only choose to obstruct and debunk everything the President says and does, and have no real plan of their own to fix the economy.

94. Janene Irwin

The President is doing just FINE! If the negative people would just leave him alone & stop disrespecting him on TV, maybe he could get things done sooner. It would be really great if the Republicans would stand by him, but, I doubt that will ever happen.

April 14, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  95. Stan Grunewald

A means to an end. That is how I describe what Barack Obama is doing.
    Republicans are still trying to sell the, "Something for nothing" approach, and the American public is simply not buying it.
    The president has asked us to step up, and get ready for a rough road, but at least it's a road leading us in the right direction. The G.O.P. road is a circle drive.

April 14, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  96. Torrey Thompson

The task of fixing the country isn t up to the president alone, but to us all as a nation of one undivided. The only real task President Obama has is to make a plan that is applicable to our current economic situation. If our country fails we fail as one The United States of America

April 14, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  97. koko

I have no confidence in Obama fixing the economy.

April 14, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  98. Dan, Bowling Green OH

I don't think that the president has–and ever has had–a large impact on the economy. I think his plan is better than any body's but I still don't think that it will do much.

April 14, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  99. Alex

I may only be 13, but I see the major difference between Obama and the republicans is that the republicans have no plan. They've become a true party of no, as Obama lays out ideas. If they want to have a chance in the next election, give us some well thought ideas.

April 14, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  100. Brian Delray Beach, FL

Right now the President is the only person in Washington with a plan. The Republicans offer only obstruction and their "tax and spend" mantra. After eight years of Bush just having a leader who can form a thought and speak in complete sentences inspires confidence. My greatesr fear is that the Democrats he is depending upon will let him down when tough political decisions need to be made. Washington is, afterall, a place more focused on re-election than doing the People's business.

April 14, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  101. Purnell, Kankakee, IL.

I wish they had just paid off eveyone’s mortgage and we could have saved billions if not trillions would have been left to take care of Healthcare, and Education. But that lent triilons to companies that do not want to be regulated now they want to give the money back. But that does not excuse Congress from not doing everything they can to put back into place the regultations that use to protect investors in the past, If congress does not our Economy will fall again!

April 14, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  102. MITCH

People are enamored by Obama's personality. These aren't thinking people; they know nothing about business or the economy and are easily taken in by star status. Obama needs to be tutored in the ways of foreign cultures and the world. He's only a lawyer interested in giving away free-bee's by stealing from others and growing a culture of laziness. His having to learn the hard-way means we all have to suffer through his learning process. It is legalized Theft to spend the money he is spending! He is the Thief In Chief and will perpetuate a hand-out society until there is no incentive to work hard and there is no money to support those who want to live off the backs of others!

April 14, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  103. Emma, San Luis Obispo, CA

I have 100% confidence in our President to fix the economy Jack. He is smart (that's a nice change) and he has smart people around him. The best of the best, and that is a really encouraging thing.
    I sleep much better at night knowing Barack Obama is the President and the Commander -in- Chief of the United States.
    George Bush brought our country to it's knees over eight years of corruption and deregulation and it will take some time to dig us out of it, so everybody should just relax and give him a chance to fix the hole he found in the Oval office on January 20, 2009

April 14, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  104. Easymike

While I don't agree with all of President Obama's decisions or Cabinet choices, I am more confident in his administration than in the previous one. At least we have a thoughtful, rational and intelligent person in charge.

April 14, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  105. Jim/NC

I have zero confidence when comes to fixing the economy. President Obama has no experience in budget issues, the economy or markets. The American people do not have confidence in Geithner and Summers. He chose the wrong individuals to weave our way out of this. President Obama needs to start over with his economic wizards.

106. Marion Miller

Dear Jack.
    My family and friends and neighbors and I all have absolute confidencce that President Obama will fix the economy. We think it happen a lot faster if the American people pitch in and help him!
    God bless everybody!
    Best wishes,
    Marion Miller

107. Janah R. Adams

Here's what I see: A fantastic democratic leader ran for President on a ticket of solutions. Now, I am thrilled to see him following through with every promise he made. I couldn't be more confident in our President.

108. Ayo

With the competency the president has showed in other important issues; A.i.g,stimulus package,somali piracy among others, i cant be less confident in Mr obama's ability to handle the economic issues at hand.

109. Simon Bocio

Jack,
    With Mr. Obama and all of his top dogs belonging to the Bilderburg foundation, he has a 13% to 130% chance to superficially fix what they want us to see. Now they have another dog in the white house. He should be the chief of Staff (Dogs)

Cape Coral

110. Noreen

Evanston, Illinois Hey Jack Maybe the republicans are starting to smarten up. I'm sure it's probably a hard thing for them to do. Americans aren't used to politicians actually doing what they say their gonna do. Am I confident? Hell Yeh!

111. George Muniz

This President has really earned my trust in him in a number of issues. Skeptical at first of his resolve and ability to tackle problems I am now convinced that he is the right person at the right place and at the right moment. Right path in economy, resolve in crisis situations, steady leadership and great ability to deal with several issues at the same time. God has blessed America once more.

112. dan in dayton

presidents don't fix economies. The economy will correct itself. But presidents can hurt economies....for example by borrowing so much money that our grandkids's kids will still be paying the burden.

We seem to be in an era where everyone is expecting the government to be involved in just about everything. It breaks my heart to see our country sliding into total chaos....just give it time.

113. Bill

Jack,
    I have more confidence in Barrack Obama than I ever had in the Republicans, especially the republicans of late. I voted for Obama after voting Republican all my life. I am 67 years old and I will never vote for another Republican. They have lied, let the country down and now they are acting like a bunch of spoiled children. They are not the "loyal opposition" as they do not appear to be loyal to the president and appear to oppse any logical solution to the crises.
    Bill
    Lake Ridge, Virginia

114. richard in Florida

I have confidence in Mr Obama doing his part, but it's up to all of us to fix the economy, not just him.

115. vince

I am certain that if america follows obama's diet and excercise plan for a healthy economy we will come out leaner and stronger than before. People need to do their own share and stop expecting everything to get better on its own. Its not the doctors job to fix you, he provides direction and help, it is all up to us to put in the sweat, make some sacrifices and build a stronger country.

116. AnaCissa

Absolutely! I Think Pres Obama is definitely on the right track! So refreshing to have a leader who inspires us to be better and do better! And not one who makes us feel deceived every time he speaks (like the one we had for the last 8 years!!! If we can call THAT a leader!!)

117. MITCH

If the economy improves, it will be despite him, not because of him!

118. Janah R. Adams

Here’s what I see: A fantastic democratic leader ran for President on a ticket of solutions. Now, I am thrilled to see him following through with every promise he made. I couldn’t be more confident in our President.
    -Greenville, NC

April 14, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  119. Paul

I have a lot of confidence in the President to help our Economy – while the Economy tends to be a rollercoaster and it will eventually recover, I feel like the President has made it his business to make sure we don't return to the careless lending and spending habits of many Americans.

We need to become a country where we use what we need, not constantly over-spend and perhaps fight the consumerism!

But I have more confidence in President Obama than any other President. I feel he is indeed the President for our time.

April 14, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  120. Bruce

Regardless of what anyone says, it was the rapid increase in gas prices that busted the economy. People who live on a paycheck to paycheck basis could no longer pay the mortgage in lieu of food. Obama's energy plan has gotten gas prices under control now, so he has the right vision to rebound the economy. Fix energy and the economy will follow behind quickly.

April 14, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  121. Curtis Wampler, Udall, KS

The President of The United States is a lot like the quarterback of a football team. He is given too much credit when things go right and too much blame when things go wrong.

The reality is that the president cannot fix the economy – it is up to Americans across the country... just as it has always been.

What he can do is inspire Americans to do things that will bring us out of this recession... start new businesses and invest in American companies. The most important thing he can do is provide the vision for what this country is to become.

April 14, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  122. Angel Cortez

One man can't correct this problem, but as it stands, he is putting more effort into this than anyone else in government right now.

April 14, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  123. Shaye

I feel that the United States is more safe due to President Obama's worldwide popularity partly because of his stark differences from the Bush/Cheney Administration's foreign policies (which caused the world to view the US in negative light, fueling passions against the US and possibly worse). Obama is a smart President surrounded by world class military advisors and has shown his ability to make the correct decision with the use of US Military Special Operations Forces resulting in successfully rescued American held hostage by Somali Pirates.

April 14, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  124. Harvey Smith

Jack, I'm fully confidence that Pres. Obama can fix the economy. The economy is like an Aircraft Carrier which cannot be turned on a dime. As Americans, we need to be patience as this down-turn was not created in last 100 days but years.

April 14, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  125. Linda

Madison, NH

President Obama is not operating in a vacuum. He is being advised by the best and brightest during this crisis. And he is no mental slouch himself. Many of the people questioning his tactics have much less expertise in this area. I believe his team has the right vision and goals. If they continue to persevere, they can turn this ship away from the dangerous past and toward a prosperous future.

April 14, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  126. Jerry Dial

Absolutely none whatsoever. He's already proved to me that he's bought and paid for by the global elite and the world bank system. The American people are taken in by the new speech reader and it's business as usual. Look how many campaign promises he's already broken (ie. ending the war). Bought and paid for! Keep up the good word Jack!

April 14, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  127. Dominick

I have full confidence in President Obama's ability to fix the economy. As he said their are glimmers of hope but their are still tough times ahead. I think he just repeated something that any person with sense should know already. He has a huge mess to clean up and i thnk the sweeping up has just begun. He is decisive and intelligent enough to clean up Presidents Bush's mess. I wouldnt want anyone else in charge.

April 14, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  128. Linda Lee

The HUGE mess the state of our economy is in will take time, skill and wisdom to, at the very least, get back on track. I have faith in President Obama's integrity and intelligence to see the way through this crisis. Those qualities have been completely absent for 8 years.
    While it's extremely enjoyable seeing the Republicans and anti-Obama folk squirm and wildly attempt to try to make the situation THEY are mostly responsible for look like someone else's fault, we have to have faith and patience with the new administration.

April 14, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  129. T. Santana

For the first time in a long time, we have a president in office who is working with a level of intellect that is far superior than the average mortal. Everything he does and says comes to us in a multi-layered, multi-faceted package, and most of us have to rewind to catch all of the parts.

Do I have confidence in our president to fix our economy? Not only do I have confidence in his ability to fix the economy, I also think he can fix just about anything!

We are blessed to be living to witness genius at work. President Obama is one of the few men in the world capable of handling this nation at this time. Sit back and enjoy the show! It's going to be a great one!

April 14, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  130. David Scantland

I have confidence in the president, BUT, as with how our past presidents treated our country, I am no fool.
    Once I see a problem with our president, my confidence in him will change.
    I've was the fool with President Bush and I refuse to play the fool ever again.
    So my eyes are open and i am watching him closely.
    In the slightest flicker my opinion of him will change drastically.
    You can thank President Bush for that!

April 14, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  131. Ingrid

All Americans need to unite behind President Obama Democrat or Republican. i have the utmost confidence in president Obama in turning the Ship around and bringing it to safe harbour.
    Confidence Americans Confidence.

Ingrid (Canada)

April 14, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  132. glenn , southeast-texas

while we're stumbling about and shuffling money to the " good ol' boy's , the economy will take care of itself . Glenn-Southeast ,Texas

April 14, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  133. Vee

Yes, things are tough, I 'm out of work, nevertheless I have tremendous confidence in the President to fix the economy. He fully realizes that a whole nation is depnding on him..

For this assignment its not Treasury Secretary or Berne Bernake who I expect to do the right thing...move this contry back to prosperity, but Mr. Obama.

He gets it, understands what has to be done, and connects the dots. None other gets my vote!

April 14, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  134. Juan Nieves

Jack, fixing the economy is not only the President's responsibility; it ours, Americans. By this, I mean we truly need to work as a team and help the man in charge, President Obama, to get us out of this economic turmoil. As we know, there are groups of individuals who publicly state that the President is taking the wrong steps towards fixing our economy, and yet they do not offer a solution. I say this "If there is people with the nerve to criticize the way the President is dealing with the economy, then they are not part of the team" In other words, they need to bring their ideas to the light and share them with President Obama. Like I said, it takes team work from all Americans to get the job done.

Juan Nieves
    Adana, Turkey.

April 14, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  135. Bruce

The economy is done. stick a fork in it. The falling part is a slow process as the Powers That Be attempt to maintain the old paradigm(materialism, capitalism, competition) and avoid the new paradigm of cooperation, creative solutions, treating each other as equals/no hierarchy of power etc.

April 14, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  136. Gary

I have low confidence tha Obama can or will solve out economic problems, He is on a spending kick of Government programs which will create some jobs for the short term but is is doing nothing to get industry moving forward. Big Governmanent has never solved economic problems.

April 14, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  137. Marian Liles

None. The president has accepted blame in front of the whole world for our being a sorry country and people; but wants to lay all the blame for the economic fiasco onto George Bush. Why is he not blaming Dodd, Frank, Pelosi and others who covered for FNMA and Freddie Mac until it was far to late? The Fannie Mae fiasco was the domino that started all the other falling; and the rug–consisting of securities full of bundled bad moartgages–that was jerked out from under all the other economic entities–from banks to the stock market..

(Austin, TX)

April 14, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  138. Sean

My confidence in President Obama turning this economy around is much higher now than the cabinet we have in our rear view mirror. And my confidence in Republicans doing anything better is as low as there confidence is in their own party.

Kent, Ohio

April 14, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  139. Markus

Enough to support him! I and the rest of the country want the economy to return to a stable state. I believe President Obama has the ability to do that and I believe he is willing to take on rebuilding it from scratch if he has to!

April 14, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  140. Allen in Savannah

About 1/3 to 1/ 2 of President Obama's budget is funded by new debt. Jack, is that what your family budget is for next year?

April 14, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  141. Michael

President Obama has laid out a comprehensive plan for fixing the economy. The stimulus actually invests in the fiber of America. His plans for investment in green energy, education, healthcare and the infrastructure are what separates successful societies from those that fail their people. It's clear that his method of managing the situation is thoughtful and targeted. With reforms in the banking industry (including investment banks) we might just turn this country (world) from financial meltdown to sustained long-term prosperity. Not the previous bubble and bust economy we've known for so long.

April 14, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  142. Marc Taylor in Kansas City

Jack,

I have absolute confidence that Obama's policies will help the economy recover better and faster than it would have on its own. As Obama said this morning, this is not a normal economic ebb and flow. The so called toxic assets combined with a stiff real estate bust combined with most businesses and families in debt to their ears created an economic disaster that was quick, precise, and deep. We would have eventually recovered with no action at all, but who knows what our global economic standing would have been by then.

Obama and his administrators, in spite of what the nay-sayers are preaching, clearly understand the issue and have done everything possible to combat the issues.

April 14, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  143. Jill , Decatur, Ga

Obama has been doing everything he said he would since he has been in office. The economy is improving daily, but what we must understand is that  this mess was created over an 8 year period and we can't expect Obama to fix it in 4-6 months. Thanks to president Bush, cause if he was'nt such a bad president, we would'nt know what a good one was like.

April 14, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  144. Michael Quittman

I don't know for certain if President Obama has "the answers" to our economic problems...I don't think anyone can know for sure..and if they tell you they do, I'd be very suspicious. I do think President Obama is totally engaged in the process, is curious about the world (unlike his predecessor), is very intelligent and is committed to short and long term strategies to make our country economically strong, energy independent and educationally competitive. Let's give him a chance to put his ideas to work...100 days is nowhere near enough time to turn our ship around.

April 14, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  145. Art Garland

History tells us, you cannot buy your way out of recession, Never has happened, so why does this amatuer President and a group of tax cheats think they can now. No confidence at all.

April 14, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  146. Aaron

Jack- We must never forget why the recovery costs so much and what "policies" got us in this mess in the first place. Unlike 8yrs of Bush leadership, Pres. Obama's long-term plan for America makes sense, and it seems like Americans are finally waking-up to the reality that it is the future and not the now.

Aaron
    Phoenix, AZ

April 14, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  147. cheryl Robinson

President Obama has presented in the economic plan a clear and visible strategy for a "new" America and he has not relented on his promises; This is in FACT a safer plan for my country and way more than anyone (Republicans) can say for progress!!

April 14, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  148. Tom plocki

We have made more progress in less than 100 days than little Bush did in the first year of this recession. But of course it's hard to move forward when the only word that people around him knew was "no". These " No" birds of the republican party need to migrate to a deserted island and set up their no government. These people are so slow they are holding an anti tax tea party to protest the coming tax cut in the Obama Budget.

April 14, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  149. Steve

Obama has to rely on advisers to fix the economy and I have ZERO confidence in them to do anything more than make things worse. His family around the kitchen table analogy is ridiculous. It only works if he says the family cuts back, still saves for juniors college fund, and insists on bringing home a new 52 inch tv in the back of the brand new Escalade they just bought. I can't people actually think he is going to fix things when in the same sentence he says reduce the deficit by half while spending 3 times more money. Please explain to me how that math works out?

And of course he is beating the Republicans with his plan when they haven't presented one. They would prefer to play politics and let him dig his own hole.

April 14, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  150. David Scantland - Indiana

Once I see a problem with our president, my confidence in him will change.
    I was the fool with President Bush to trust him and I refuse to play the fool ever again.
    So my eyes are open and i am watching him closely.
    In the slightest flicker my opinion of him will change drastically.
    You can thank President Bush for that!

April 14, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  151. Greg Ontario

Thats like asking if I think a coach can win the Stanley cup. All President Obama can do is set the environment by cutting taxes etc and cheer you on. It's up to Americans to make it happen. A famous NHL coach upon being congratulated on wiing the Stanley cup said "All I did was open and close the door."

April 14, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  152. Joseph Leff

At least we're not continuing the same "strategy" initiated by Bush and Cheney. Obama is reaching out to people, speaking in complete sentences with words that have more than one syllable. We're in a mess, and it's going to take a while to dig us out of it. It looks like Obama's on the right track.

Joe in Delray Beach, FL

April 14, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  153. Mary

I feel very confident - for the first time in along time. This is the second time this has happened in my lifetime. The first thing he said today that he was going to try to get thru – is controls be placed back on Wall Street that there is no way this can happen again. They should have never been removed before. I guess there is always going to be cheats and we must stop them.

April 14, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  154. lynnej

I wouldn't say confidence because no one knows what the future holds.
    However, I'm more comfortable with President Obama and his team because he picked them because they were smart not because he wanted to have a beer with them. Geithner may be boring and Summers is well, Summers but give them a chance.
    Put it this way, just imagine who would be at the helm if McCain had won the election. I shudder at the thought.

April 14, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  155. Patricia in TX

Jack, I'm putting my faith and trust in President Obama. Until the Republicans can prove they have a clue and present a better solution, we have no reason to support them. Heck, it was a Republican president that helped get us into this mess and the rest of the Republicans allowed it to happen so why should we put our faith in them now?

April 14, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  156. Michael H. Oil City, PA

Hell, Bo, the new dog already has a higher poll rating than the GOP. At least "BO" has a plan to plan his day.

April 14, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  157. Will- Charlotte, NC

I never advise anyone to put all their eggs in one basket, but there's always an exception to every rule. Just a mere reflection of the last eight years and all of my eggs go falling into the basket marked Obama. Resoundingly! No second thoughts!

April 14, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  158. Carlos

President Obama's plan is what this country has had to do for the last 20 years. The problem has now hit the fan and we must now scramble to adjust. It has been the negligence of former gov. officials to see the problem, and now it is time for new ideas to take control. Create green jobs, change health care, educate the future, and limit the corruption from the people on top. i have the utmost confidence in his plan, and it is only this confidence from the American people that will make it work. The beauty of the the American system is that we can take what was wrong with it and innovate our government to ensure its position in this world, without compromising its morals and values.

Carlos
    Miami, FL

p.s. always one of my favorite segments on CNN

April 14, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  159. Hank Pihl

Jack

Only the GOP will give the president a negative for the economy.
    I am so sick of all the crap that is going on in politics that nothng
    makes sense anymore.
    Give president Obama some time,and he will fix what the republicans
    screwed up.

April 14, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  160. Donna

I think President Obama should be given a chance to fix this economy. I'm behind him 100%. He is not afraid to go to experts and he is a good listener. He's very intelligent, but down to earth in understanding what the situation is for real people. Given the chance, he is at least 99.9% better than what was in practice for the last 8 (maybe plus) years.

April 14, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  161. Pam

Absolute confidence in this Harvard educated brilliant man!

April 14, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  162. Linda Wittmer

20 of the past 28 years there has been a Republican in the White House. Our problems started 28 years ago with Regan's statement: Government is not the solution. Government is the problem. That began the era of laissez faire government. As long as there are liars, cheats, and swindlers in the world, we need government. I trust Obama a lot more than I trust the American people. We need a sound government to to function and I think that is what he is trying to give us.

April 14, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  163. Mike

Mr. Obama and his fellow Democrats will definately fix the economy.

I am a 27 year Navy Veteran who has sacraficed alot to achieve financial independence. I left my famiy 6 months a year while I deployed on ships and submarines to earn my pension and health care. I earned a College Degree while in the service.

Mr. Obama dosen't care. He wants to give the same benefits to the homeless, illegals, gays, and other welfare/child producing slugs that are destroying our country.

I put my children through college on my own.
    I am now selling automobiles. I made over $60,000.00 per year the past 4 years and am now on track to only make $25,000.00 this year.
    Where is my bail out? I work for a GM Dealership.

I have always paid my mortgage on time. I didn't buy more house than I needed.

Oh, by the way. I am a high school drop out and I achieved without any government help.

Mr. Obama will fix our economy. But at what expense??????

I talk to dozens of people per week in Sales and I have found hardly anyone who approves on the direction of the Obama Clan.

April 14, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  164. Woody

Absolutely. It is so refreshing to have someone in charge, a true leader who speaks the truth and is willing to confer with not only his experts in his cabinet, but others as well. He shows flexibility and intelligence when approaching this crisis. From a former republican.

April 14, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  165. Ken Hahn

In my opinion, there's no doubt that President Obama has a clear plan to fix the economy. He has, however, a very hard task in view of the obstructionist policies of the Republicans who pose a very real threat to a National recovery. It seems that they would rather play partisan politics than to work at the problem.

April 14, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  166. maple reynolds

I believe he will be able to fix the economy if he is allowed to do so .I believe president Obama,has the abality, to do what we sent him to the white house to do .I will continue to pray for him to succeed and I hope that every one remembers that he inherited this mess.

April 14, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  167. Sherri Illinois

I have confidence in President Obama because he's truly cares for ALL people and he knows that the Middle-Low income Americans have gotten a raw deal for 8 yrs and he's trying to do something about that, which explains why the Republicans are so bent out of shape because their control & power & cash-cow is GONE. President Obama inherited a multitudes of messes from the Bush administration and America knows it will take time to fix this economy and get our Troops safely out of Iraq & Afghanistan. President Obama is articulate, SMART, INTELLIGENT, and he doesn't shoot from the hip, he thinks before he speaks. God bless him & God bless this country that going thru some very stormy waters BUT thank goodness we have President Obama at the helm.

April 14, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  168. walter jaap( Independent)

Printing money is what Germany did after WW1. They ended up with ramoent inflation,and the NAZI party took over in the economic chaos.I have no confidence in a wreckless spend and burden our descendents administration.

April 14, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  169. Dan Stanley

Someone has to take the lead and it should be the President when the stakes are as high as they are now. Someone has to have a singular plan and make it clear to all the players. Someone has to act as shepherd to keep order and everyone headed in the same direction. Someone has to be the lead blocker to prevent the jackels from slowing progress. Obama has taken on these roles and I have confidence he can get the job done.

April 14, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  170. Kevin Pine

There is no way that President Obama can lead us out of the economic crisis with more spending, more taxes, and libral causes. We need to stop bailouts, and let the economy stabilize after eliminating the companys that have poorly invested, or over spent. The president is driving us further into a recession, and I am sure he will blame the republicans for the continued decline. Camp Korean Village, Iraq

April 14, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  171. EugeneWiese Midlothian,Va.

President Obama is the best President we've ever had,and I voted for FDR and Truman. The economy will be fixed,but it will take more than 90 days. Patience and the right attitude about support would be appreciated ,at least by me. Thanks,Jack. Gene

April 14, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  172. steve

It seems obvious that he will fail to fix our economy. Any "fixes" will be temporary at best and likely harmful in the long term. But he seems on track to fix Mexico's economy.

April 14, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  173. S. Lee, MD

Really, Jack, if you consider the depth of mistrust for the previous administration, (as indicated by their terrible approval ratings) on whose watch the economy committed financial suicide, how can the American people justify NOT trusting President Obama's attempts to clean the mess up, turn things around, and put our economy back on solid ground? How much lower could we have gone before we were all jobless and homeless??

April 14, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  174. Dakota States

I have just enough confidence to not flee the country in a dyer panic. I think he is doing an excellent job so far.

April 14, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  175. Garry

I have about 65% confidence in the president.The economy could still get much worse .But he deserves a chance! After all he is our president!

April 14, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  176. Bill Crosby

How many polls do you actually take before you pick the one that satisfies what you want the poll to reflect!

April 14, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  177. Suzanne Orr

You didn't think to ask about our confidence in the DEMOCRATIC Congress. I would suggest that the Democratic leaders are Obama's worst enemy. Not only is the Party divided; we also see too many signs of business as usual.

April 14, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  178. Keith / Inglewood, Ca.

Obama is like having pocket aces or a least kings... I feel so much better w/Obama in office compared not only to bush but to all former US Presidents... He's at least attempting to do what is moral and correct... The "Grand Ol Party" is over... "when truth comes faulse-hood vanishes and false-hood is an ever vanishing thing.

April 14, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  179. Bill Carter in Florida

Jack- I think President Obama is at least thinking of all Americans and how the economy affects them and not just the top 2%. If we can get the Centrist Dems and Right wing Republicans to offer an intelligent plan as an alternative to the Democratic plan put forth by the Presidnet, there could be hope. I'm thinking it will take a Fillibuster proof Senate along with a large house majority to over-ride the destructive policies of the GOP in this Bushless era. President Obama can succeed but I am afraid that the GOP and their constant attacks and lack of support for the majority of Americans will hasten their demise. I'd rather make some mistakes with the current President then trust the Republicans to put our country back on the right track. They are history.

April 14, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  180. Nan

I believe the President has the country going in the right direction. I know there will be fluctuations in the economic signs over the next couple of years, but I believe his plan will lead to more jobs and a healthy economy. I have never seen a president work so hard to help all people. Nor do I remember so many naysayers who care more about their political party than the country.

April 14, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  181. Rafael Diaz

I think we have the best possible president to lead us out of this economic mess. My main concern is that congress (republican and democrats) will continue to put their political, and special interest concerns before those of hard-working Americans.

April 14, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  182. Brian

Jack i trust President Obama to do the Right thing .I know if one thing dont work he will try everything he can.Its Better the a president that says no no no. Get the hint the Last 8 years. So Yes i trust him .Yes we will And we can.Hes a man for the people not the media ,or the far Right that dnt like him anyway.

April 14, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  183. judi schweiger

I have confidence. Already, he has tried to exercise all of his campaign promises. Imagine... a politician who actually wants to keep his promises. Of one thing, I am sure. The republicans are going to do everything in their power to block his success. They think the American people are not smart enough to see what they are trying to do. All of a sudden, after 8 years of anything Bush wanted, they are concerned about spending.
    I hope 2010 shows them how smart the average American really is about motives.

April 14, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  184. Tom in Vermilion,Ohio

If everybody would get 80% active as this president, then the economy would be "fixed" in no time at all. He's everywhere all at the same time. He needs to somehow light the fire under everyone's a-. At least he trying. The Republican's just whine and claim that he's a socialist. Maybe they should try to give some positive imput to fix the economy. Maybe their ratings will then improve.

April 14, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  185. Rick, Mississippi

Very little. We're creating mind boggling amounts of debt. This just doesn't make sense to defecit spend our way back out of this mess.This can't conceivably work without an agressive debt reduction program and government budget cuts after we begin to recover and I haven't heard anything about that and probably won't. We'll come out of this one day but as what.

I encourage all the voters to replace your representatives and senators during the next election, even if they've done a good job. I think a large reason why our government is ineffective is that our congressmen and women spend far too much time and effort trying to stay in office rather than representing us.

April 14, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  186. Elaine

He certainly has a plan – take from me and give to you. To paraphrase Margaret Thatcher – the trouble with socilism is that sooner or later you run out of someone else money. I am sure those who do not have will gladly take from some one who has. That is not a plan. That is spending irrationally. We cannot contine down this road. Due date for taxes is tomorrow – with Obama's plan due date wil be with our children, grandchildren and their's to follow .Confidence that his plan will work ? – you have got to be kidding . You have read the book . "Don't raise the bridge lower the water, Will we all get rowboats?

April 14, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  187. Ruth

Thank God there is an intelligent person in charge. Anyone that cannot see that there are very positive signs already is either Republican or just very negitive.

April 14, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  188. Karl from SF, CA

He's doing a fantastic job with the economy and everything else he promised to fix, it's just going to take time. To all the nay sayers regarding his supposed lack of experience, a smart person doesn't know everything, but he knows people that do.

April 14, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  189. Robert in Texas

None, whatsoever, Jack. When your right hand man is a tax-cheat and a former head of a privately owned corporation that calls itself the "Federal" Reserve and helped orchestrate this whole crisis, what chance do you have to REALLY turn the economy around when THEIR intentions are to steer this country further into the hole? There is only one way to turn this economy around now. Take back what is rightfully ours. The right to coin money was written into the Constitution as a job of Congress, NOT of a privately owned entity, i.e. the Federal Reserve, which is no more Federal than Fed-Ex. Until this discrepancy is resolved, the direction and future of ALL Americans and of the United States is in jeopardy.

April 14, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  190. Delores

Yes I have my faith in Obama to fix the economy, but it will take the people in United States to help get this economy back on the right track. If we all work together put our heads together and stop thinking so negative maybe we can over come some of economy problems.

April 14, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  191. Tom

Jack, If you think printing money and spending our children's future will fix an economy, then we got a bridge to sell you. Obama is writing checks our children will have to pay...

Inflation is going to go through the roof.
    Visualize a $55 gallon of gas

April 14, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  192. MITCH

How do you give someone time who is doing exactly what he criticized Bush for doing? How do you give someone a chance who is throwing away TRILLIONS of dollars and we already see their mistakes. It's a tip of the iceberg to note that they did not read the stimulus package and signed it anyway. Congress are the culprits! YOU DON'T THROW MONEY at problems! Most of it gets wasted! You Obama lovers are only enamored with his personality and don't know crap about business and/or the economy! Why would I want to give him a chance to throw away TRILLIONS! Who do you think will have to pay it back? He is a kid with an agenda!

April 14, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  193. joey

yes, i believe that president obama can help fix our screwed up economy. well, lets face it, its better than doing nothing, their are those out there that think things just fix it self well in the real world it dose not always work that way so get your heads out of the sand. also, it amazes me how some peolpe have all the ideas but when you put them to the test they come up with nothing. so lets give the president obama a chance to help our country before we lose it to those who want to see us fail.

April 14, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  194. Bob

A lot. President Obama is making an effort on all fronts of our economy to try to keep the period of no oversight by the Bush Administration from completely destroying what is left of our financial system. The President may not succeed in solving every problem facing the nation's economy, but give him credit for trying. I believe that he cares about the hardships and struggles of everyday Americans, and I have absolute faith in his ability to bring our country out of this recession.

April 14, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  195. Curtis Wampler, Udall, KS

Wow Jack – Americans more confident in President Obama than Geithner and Bernanke ranks right up there with ice cream being a more popular dessert than dirt and grease.

Doesn't the fact that 60% of people approve of the president's job and over 61% think that the country is going in the wrong direction tell you that a) the president can't do it himself and b) he's not doing it?

April 14, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  196. Purnell, Kankakee, IL.

I just wish he had the courage to go after the war crimes committed by the Bush Adminstriation. Sitting on the sidelines while another country does it for him, does not show the people of the U.S. and of the world that he want to be a good leader.

The U.S. took in hundreds of of war criminals back in the forties because they had ground breaking science that the governement wanted for war! But that is no excuse for allowing a Former President of the U.S. who ordered war crime by allow people to be turtured to get away with it, if he does someone else will do it again once he leave office. Or are we going to repeat the same mistakes of the past. How many deaths before our government decides that it is not good to allow mass-murders to run away from the Justice that they deserve! 29900 people died Man, Women and Child, by that war criminal in the news today, so Bush must pay for his crimes too!

April 14, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  197. Sneh

Absolutely not, there is a difference between confidence and hope-and though we all hope for the best the wasteful spending that has been initiated is bound to make a negative turn....debt, inflation to name a few. A twist on classic example of robbing Peter to later rob Paul.

April 14, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  198. Flo

Definitly, For 8 years the party of No did nothing for the working class.
    We all know who they represent by the policies they set.
    They broke the system so the rich could get richer. This economy will not be repaired overnight we must have patience! Although the party of No is planning a tea party for America to watch the only thing they forgot is to inform America it was Bush's Taxes they are howling over.
    Flo

April 14, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  199. Casey | Sebastopol, CA

I have full faith in President Obama. No one person can "fix" what ails us - it's really all about corporations, from those who run them to the politicians who kowtow to them, bought and paid for.

It will take a paradigm shift to truly change the way corporations control our world; I for one can't wait to see that happen, even if I have to sacrifice to help it happen. It's just like saving our environment – we all want it, but are we really willing to pay the price?

Sometimes a crisis is the perfect opportunity.

April 14, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  200. Purnell, Kankakee, IL.

The economy will get better no matter what!

The U.S. took in hundreds of war criminals back in the forties because they had ground breaking science that the governement wanted for war! But that is no excuse us for allowing a Former President of the U.S. who ordered war crime by allow people to be turtured to get away with it, if he does someone else will do it again once he leave office. Or are we going to repeat the same mistakes of the past. How many deaths before our government decides that it is not good to allow mass-murders to run away from the Justice that they deserve! 29900 people died Man, Women and Child, by that war criminal in the news today, so Bush must pay for his crimes too!

April 14, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  201. DAME-O / TEXAS

I have all the confidence in the world that this MAN will get the job done. ENOUGH SAID JACK.....

April 14, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  202. MITCH

When you spend money, it goes away, but then it is owed back. Once the money goes, we are still in the same mess! If our economy improves, it will be in-spite of his policies, not because of them.

April 14, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  203. Tom Jackson

Well at least the President has a plan the Republicans just have a lot of lip. You know the party of NO.

April 14, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  204. steve from lake placid

Jack-O

We deserve the outcome, whatever it is.

We sent a boy to do a man's job in November, and we're stuck till 2012!!

April 14, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  205. Gordon Las Vegas

I have never heard of anyone in the history of the world who succeded in spending their way out of dept. Prez. Obama wont succed either.

April 14, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  206. MITCH

Hey, notice the Obama lovers are celebrity spell bound. They like the way he talks and his sincerity. They let Obama think for them! People need an incentive to help themselves, not be given hand-outs! Eventually those who pay for everyone else will run out of money and you will be in the same position you are in now.

April 14, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  207. JIM FALLBROOK CA

Obama will not fix the economy with his tax and spend policies. He will spend more money than the previous 44 presidents combined. We will have rampant inflation and wait until Obama implements all his hidden taxes on the working and middle class. The only hope we have is the economy fixes itself. Obama does not have the countries best interest in mind. He reminds me of Burt Lancaster in Elmer Gantry a con artist. I don't trust him.

April 14, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  208. Danny

NONE...what has he done so far???? N-O-T-H-I-N-G!!! The only thing hes done is make things worse..."we need change" ya I think we need a change to somebody who will do something.One person cant run a country and i understand that hes getting " comments " from the branchs but hes the TV star...I dont see change, no results, just debt.

April 14, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  209. Sidney P from Dallas

I have total confidence in President Obama and feel very grateful that we have such a steady, intelligent, caring president. We are very lucky.

April 14, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  210. Rick, Mississippi

A series of reactions does not constitute a plan.

April 14, 2009 at 5:45 pm |
  211. TomG NE Pa.

LOTS,, after the last 8 years it's all uphill from here......

April 14, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  212. Andrew

I have more confidence in President Obama than I have in any nonsense that I hear from the republicans (or democrats) in congress. I am an independent and I always vote on the issues. Since the election the republicans seem to be focused on how they can win back the seats they lost and not on how to fix a problem they allowed to fester while a republican sat in the White House. More than ever I am convinced that Americans need to vote to clean out congress and eventually our politicians will get the message, "you are sent to Washington to serve the people, not yourself or some party".

April 14, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  213. Lisa in Shelton CT

I have a lot more confidence in Obama's glimmer of hope for the economy, than I did in GWB's mission accomplished in Iraq. I'm sure that in a few years our confidence in Obama will be proven to have not been unfounded.

April 14, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  214. Tom

Obama-ites seem to think so.

April 14, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  215. Susan - Plano, TX

Obama has American people at heart and do what is the best interest for American people. I trust him 100% for our economic recovery. Republican Party has a lot to worry about now.

April 14, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  216. Tom

of course they know nothing of economics.

April 14, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  217. Anita from Tennessee

I have great confidence that Barack Obama can fix our economy, but it is going to take time as he has said it will. President Obama and his team are intelligent, thoughtful, and considerate people and if we (the citizens) give him the support and patience needed to get the job done, he will do it. I just wish the Republicans would decide to support him just a bit, and quit being the party of NO. As the President said today, they have all been elected to serve the people and have a responsibility to the Americans. Maybe cooperating doesn't win elections, but I can't imagine that the way the Republicans are acting now will win them any elections either!

April 14, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  218. JERRY SOLDOTNA, ALASKA.

My confidence in Obama to fix the economy is about the same as allah being able to SAVE ANYONE from Hell. AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!

April 14, 2009 at 5:52 pm |
  219. Curtis Wampler, Udall, KS

Jack – How can you expect the average person to even know if the Republicans have a plan? Speaker Pelosi and Leader Reid control what legislation comes to the floor and the media reports what they want.

Republicans have plans – what they don't have is a vehicle to publicize them well. Look up Bobby Jindal, Mitt Romney, and Newt Gingrich!

April 14, 2009 at 5:52 pm |