April 7th, 2009

Willing to relocate to find a job?

ALT TEXT

(PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

As millions of Americans pound the pavement looking for work, turns out they may have better luck finding a job in certain parts of the country than others.

No doubt the national unemployment situation remains bleak - with more than five million people losing their jobs since the beginning of 2008. Last month the unemployment rate jumped to 8.5 percent, the highest in 25 years.

But the Bureau of Labor Statistics shows that some places are faring better when it comes to jobs. A study of 372 metropolitan regions shows that 20 areas had unemployment rates below five percent in February: including Ames, Iowa; Manhattan, Kansas; Lincoln, Nebraska; Lubbock, Texas and Lafayette Louisiana.

A Harvard economics professor describes how some places can weather an economic downturn better because of specific characteristics of that area. For example, he finds a strong correlation between a skilled workforce and lower unemployment. Research shows the higher the level of education in an area, the lower the unemployment rate. Also - there's a link between unemployment and manufacturing - which is why old industrial cities like Detroit or Youngstown, Ohio have double-digit jobless rates.

Of course, not everyone can simply pick up and move for a job. Family considerations or being locked into a house you can't sell can often keep people in a certain geographical area. But if you're mobile, there are some opportunities out there.

Here’s my question to you: Are you willing to relocate in order to find work?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Bill writes:
Jack, Three years ago, I left Ohio, where there is little or no work and moved to Charlotte, NC for a job. Last month, I lost my job in Charlotte. If someone can tell me where there is secure, stable work (I thought I had it in Charlotte) I would be willing to move again.

Steve writes:
Jack, When I was out of work years ago, I traveled across country to provide for my family. I lived in a camper for 5 years to do it. All too often I have seen people whining about not having a job because they are not willing to take the next step to get one.

Melissa from Yorba Linda, California writes:
If it pays, it plays! I am actually looking to relocate from Yorba Linda, CA to Washington DC/Northern Virginia. Anybody got a job for me?

Bob writes:
I live in Michigan. Enough said.

Tony from Illinois writes:
Jack, Picking up and moving just to try and find a job in this economy is nuts. The only way I would is if I found a job there first and then made plans for the move. Gambling for a job in this manner is like going to Vegas and betting it all on one number.

Randy writes:
I am. It's either I relocate to wherever the job is or relocate to a tent city.

M. writes:
Yes, I am. I have been unemployed for 7 months and work in the IT field. After scanning numerous job boards on a daily basis, it's very clear to me that there are presently stronger job markets for my type of work. I'm currently looking in Washington, DC, New York and California. I own a home. But, I will not let that stop me. I cannot be unemployed any longer. I am under water.

Kelly from Buffalo, New York writes:
I'm from Buffalo, why would I move anywhere else? Best place in the world to live.

Filed under: Economy
  1. Mark, Bradenton,FL

Jack, relocating where? There are no jobs out there anywhere. How are you going to move when you are broke? Obama is holding townhall meetings in other countries hiding from the new unempoyment numbers. Where is your change? Obama shoud have become a speaker not president.

April 7, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  2. Samir from Florida

Maybe if the company is willing to take over the mortgage of my old home, since I will not be able to sell it. And if they new company can guarantee me at least 2 years of employment.

April 7, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  3. Mack from Traverse City Mich.

Yes I would Jack just as a great many Michigan workers already have. Would the last one out of Michigan please turn off the lights! I would do just about anything to be a taxpayer again.

April 7, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  4. Charlie in Belen, New Mexico

Retired now, but have had to do it in the past.....

April 7, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  5. Michael and Diane Phoenix AZ

That would depend on one's family status. I was transferred all over parts of the country from California to New Mexico, Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, back to Arkansas and finally Arizona. It was tough on the family, but our children ended up getting a much better perspective on what our country is about. When your children ask , "Dad, how do these people make a living?" when we lived in towns as small as 1,500 one gets a wakeup call. By the way this all took place in a period of only 8 years. Some of those moves lasted only a period of 4-6 months so it was hard to set down roots.

April 7, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  6. Dennis

ABSOLUTELY Jack. The ability to adapt, is the ability to survive.

April 7, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  7. Jason, Koloa, HI

No I live in Hawaii, if I lose my job I'll just eat mangos and coconuts while I search the beach for puka shells. Care to join me Wolf and Jack?

April 7, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  8. David Bebeau,Springfield Missouri

Jack
    That would pleasure to relocate with a job..............that would be
    so fantastic.
    David

April 7, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  9. Raymond Duke

If you are not willing to relocate to work than you deserve no help. Law of survival is migrate to the food (jobs). Cut all the social programs and people will move to the jobs.

April 7, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  10. Bill .............. Austin, TX

Sure, if they cover exspenses, and buy my house if it doesn't sell in 6 months.

April 7, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  11. Terry ,"Tree City" Greensburg, IN

focused on one theme: Repeal the Pork, Cut Taxes and Spending.
    willing to relocate in order to find work?
    Just where would that be JACK? China,Japan, -Pakastain or Aftganistan????

April 7, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  12. Joe in DE

Onl;y if the price is right.

April 7, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  13. Jenna Wade

Are you willing to relocate in order to find work?

Are they going to buy my house and move my furnishings? That is the only way that I can afford to relocate to find owrk.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

April 7, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  14. Rick Medina,OH

Jack,

No. If it ever comes to that, I'll work two lower paying jobs in my home town. I am very much a part of this community, and I want to stay close to my kids and grand-kids. Some things are just more important than money.

Rick, Medina, OH

April 7, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  15. Gary of El Centro, Ca

I would certainly be willing to relocate if I found myself needing work and no jobs were available locally that would support my family sufficiently. A man has to do what a man has to do when the "stuff" hits the fan.

April 7, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  16. David,San Bernardino,CA.

Yes! As long as it is Tahiti.

April 7, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  17. Judie from St. Augustine, Florida

Jack,
    I don't think relocating to find work would be to productive in these economic times. We all know that the grass always seems greener else where and when we get there the grass is just a different color weed that we may be allergic to. So for me I will stay where I am planted and strive for a better tomorrow.

Judie
    St. Augustine, Fl

April 7, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  18. John from Alabama

Jack: Most people are willing to relocate for a job so they can keep paying the mortgage on a home at the old location. The family situation is important to how far one will relocate to keep the family in the home and neighborhood. The stress of separation can break up a family which is not good for the family or the employer. I have been in the situation and it is hard.

April 7, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  19. Diane, Barneveld, NY

I have friends that relocated to keep their jobs and still lost them after a couple years. Nice to pull up roots and then have the rug pulled out from under you anyway, which is a good likelyhood that is what would happen. Only way to relocate for a secure job is to move overseas to the countries that American companies are building plants, etc.

April 7, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  20. Michelle

Yes I would. I did it this last year for the family I want to take care of and I would do it again if needed. The economy has sunk to a level where if you are not willing to move, you end up out of luck if you lose your job. Just ask those people who have been left high and dry by the companies that are now suffering because of the economy. (GM, Chrysler, DHL, etc.)

April 7, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  21. Gigi in Alabama

This question really does not apply to me since I am on Social Security. I suppose I could get a "Walmart greeter" job anywhere if things get too tough.
    I feel for all the people that are losing their livelihood and have to uproot their families to make a living. My family went through that under the Reagan administration so I understand what they are going through.

April 7, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  22. Terry from North Carolina

Jack
    I would relocate to find a job however where do I get the money ?

April 7, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  23. Pablo in Tejas

Jack
    I am retired (thank God) but if I were hunting work there are some places to which I would be willing to relocate; all of them in England within easy walking distance of my favorite pubs.

Pablo
    Arlington Texas

April 7, 2009 at 2:09 pm |
  24. John from Alabama

Jack: Most people relocate so they can pay the mortgage. They have families who live in the home and love the neighborhood. The children are doing well in school, therefore; one relocates to be able to provide for their loved ones. It is a hard sacrifice to make for one whose job is in another town. Sometimes the separation can cause the family to break up. What is more important job or home and family? Touch times means sacrifice by all concerned.

April 7, 2009 at 2:09 pm |
  25. Tom, Avon, me, The Heart of Democracy

Not to China.

I'll wait for Obama to create green jobs here.

April 7, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  26. Tina Tx

It would depend on where and for how much money and what type of climate. I am not a cold loving person so I would try to stay in warmer weather.

April 7, 2009 at 2:17 pm |
  27. Kim in Dodge City, KS

If you can afford to relocate, then you're not really broke yet.

April 7, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  28. Kerry Diehl

Been there ......Done it ......Have the T-Shirt and still NO JOB!!

After feeling like the guy in Johnny Cash's "I've Been Everywhere" song, I finally retired since age 60+ was like a death sentence back in 2006.

April 7, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  29. Joyce's Voice-Marshall, TX

If I were seeking employment, probably not. I live in an area where the cost of living is much cheaper than a lot of cities. I'm blessed to be able to meet my monthly obligations and adjust to reduced income. I'm learning as well that if the village shares, all survive. We can work for and with each other to meet or needs

April 7, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  30. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

At this point in my life--I'm not looking to "relocate,"-–only trying to retire--and that is very difficult--but one must do what one has to do to "survive."

April 7, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  31. Paula GA

Yes, but I have been living in my home for !5 years. Who can pick up and just move somewhere. But you do what you have to do.

April 7, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  32. Richard McKinney, Texas

Yes. Actually i was looking at Switzerland just the other day. Did you know that when people die over there they rent their burial plots and bury people straight up and down to save space. After a few years they dig you up and cremate you.
    At the rate the government is going in America you will be picked clean by the time you get to the cemetery.

April 7, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  33. Ken in NC

If I could get a job and make enough money to be able to afford to move to find employment I would. On the other hand, if I made enough to be able to afford to move, why would I move?

April 7, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  34. odessa

i would relocate to find a job unless the pay rate is higher, provide healthcare coverage and other sweet deals, i'm willingly to take it.if the company wants to pay me lower, i wouldn't accept it at all.i'm going back to collge to earn a degree so i can improve my skills.there isn't enough jobs for people with high school,g.e.d or college degrees but we have to search and apply for a good job so we can survive.all i can say is people must keep trying and pray that a job offer will be available. i wouldn't live down in the southern states like ga,ms,la,tx etc because they don't want to pay folks a decent wage or give out good health benefits.

April 7, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  35. Jeff in Glen Carbon IL

Fortunately, I don't have that question before me. For years, I turned down jobs paying $20,000 to $30,000 more so that I could stay near home. I now fear that if I "had to move" I may not get the premium offer.

April 7, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  36. Marie Ontario

The only reason I can see why an unemployed person would relocate would be to get to an area with warm weather year round so being homeless isn't so uncomfortable.

April 7, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  37. Chris from Buffalo, NY

Talk to residents of any of the Great Lakes, rust belt cities and ask this question. We've been bearing the brunt of population loss because of a sour economy for 40 plus years. Unfortunately, we're beginning to "nationalize" the specifics that have been plaguing our area of the country for decades.

April 7, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  38. Daniel Indiana

Were someone willing to offer me a job and offer to relocate me, I would be gone from this small town in a heartbeat. I live in one of the many areas that are the first to feel the effects of a downturn and the last to recover. Also, I have been unemployed for over a year and a half with no prospects in sight, as a local factory is about to close and add another thirty-one to the roles of the unemployed.

April 7, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  39. Scott, Wichita

Of course, Jack. I've got nothing tying me down here. I love the idea of living somewhere new!

April 7, 2009 at 3:07 pm |
  40. Donna Wisconsin

Absolutely! We did 5 years ago coming here. Anyone wanting a job has to explore all options or you don't want a job badly. During the depression, lots of men left their families to go look for work. And today we have more options: on the job training and technical schools with government support in some cases. that fellow who found a job this last year in every state of the US? That's determination!

April 7, 2009 at 3:16 pm |
  41. E.W. - Berkeley, CA

You betchum Red Ryder – just point me to a place that will hire a woman, just entering her prime @ 72 – w/ a Master's and 30+ years of experience in Education, Cross Cultural Communication, Curriculum Development and ESL. Willing, not only to move, but also to travel.

April 7, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  42. Horn Lake, MS

In my particular case, I have always been willng to relocate for a better job, although my relatives have always been unwilling. I think the willingness has more to do with the individual personality than anything elso.

April 7, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  43. Mike - Hot Springs, Arkansas

During my working life I was always ready to move where the work was. I grew up in Nebraska until I was 17 and I left as soon as I could. I learned early – go where you can earn money. Do what you need to do to earn money. I lost track of the number of things I did to earn money. Survival requires brains and being willing to do what is necessary.

April 7, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  44. Sue -Idaho

Jack, I would say Yes, I realize it's very hard to do, I moved back to my home State in 94 because I had had it with California. The wages were much lower and boy had things changed dramatically, but I didn't regret it. It's a big adjustment but if it means paying the bills and having a roof over your head then I say do it.

April 7, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  45. Jay in Texas

No, because I am not looking for work.
    ~Jay~

April 7, 2009 at 3:27 pm |
  46. Bill

Jack,

Three years ago I left Ohio where there is little or no work and moved to Charlotte, NC for a job.

Last month, I lost my job in Charlotte.

Bill

April 7, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  47. J Georgia

Depends. If a house cost a zillion dollars but the job pays by the hour, no. It has to make fiscal sense.

April 7, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  48. Darin

You bet I'd be willing to move if I was unemployed and found a job elsewhere (even if the job didn't pay as much as I would hope), it's better than nothing. Jack, you gotta do what you gotta do.

April 7, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  49. Conor in Chicago

Maybe if it is in a warm climate. Old Man Winter just won't let go of Chicago this year.

April 7, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  50. Austin

I am 28 years old and have relocated 4 times in the last 8 years to different corners of the country for job opportunities. Relocation brings a fresh start, a chance to negotiate a salary, new friends, and an opportunity to experience the different cultures of this country. I am definitely willing to relocate to find work and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Austin
    West Warwick, RI (8th state and counting!)

April 7, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  51. Amber, Los Angeles CA

I was born in California, have lived here my entire life, and I expect to die in California.
    I don't care if jobs don't come for years, I'm a Californian through and through and will not move from here for the promise of a faster buck.

April 7, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  52. k. halcott

My husband has been looking for work for over 8 months. He has been looking out of state for the past month. He keeps running into ads that state "do not apply if you are from out of state." It is no problem for us to move and would be more then willing to do so. He has been a computer programmer for over 20 years, so it is not lack of experience that is the problem. Mircosoft outsourced his job.
    Seattle, Washington

April 7, 2009 at 3:41 pm |
  53. Lynn, Columbia, Mo..

Maybe, if I can make enough to go back and visit. Depends on the job and pay. May not have a choice.

April 7, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  54. George, Dunedin, Florida

Yeah. lets all go to Mexico, and I mean the hot spots like Cancun. Even if we don't find a good job, that is a beautiful spot to be unemployed...

April 7, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  55. Eric

What a concept... unemployment is lower in areas where the level of education is higher. Gee, next you're going to tell me that unemployement is higher in high tax states (Michigan, Illinois, et al) than in lower tax states like Texas. Whodathunk?

April 7, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  56. Green Mountain Poverty

Yes and I've been trying to sell our home in VT for over two years. Resort area, loads of minimum wage jobs here, but nothing else. Too high taxes, fuel costs, food costs and more. We're outta here!

April 7, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  57. Paulette,Dallas,PA

If we were young and healthy – YES. Under our present circumstances we must stay put because my husband's doctor,who understands his case completely is here. Little vacations but no relocating.

April 7, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  58. Ralph Nelson

I was willing to serve three years in the army, do two tours of Vietnam, acquire three college degrees, a CPA, 17 technical diplomas, move anywhere (including Peace Corp), apply 26 employment agenies, over 1,690 jobs last time out, department of vocational rehabitilation...after 34 years I got a parttime job offer at Sears selling lawn mowers for four months. Don't serve in the Armed Forces or this could happen to you too! Ralph, Yakima, Wa.

April 7, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  59. Dan from Alliance, OH

I am retired so it is not relevent but when I worked I relocated several times in order to work at what I liked.

April 7, 2009 at 3:54 pm |
  60. Randy

I am. It's either I relocate to wherever the job is or relocate to tent city.

April 7, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  61. Geri - Mead,Oklahoma

Unlike most people Jack, if desired or necessary, I'd either sell or rent out the home here and move in a heartbeat. Nothing like a good change and meeting new people, seeing and experiencing new sights and sounds, and having a new interesting job where I can learn new things. I've moved several times and lived in several different states in my lifetime and I'd jump at the chance to do it again. CHANGE IS GOOD FOR THE SPIRIT, THE SOUL, AND THE MIND. Of course since I'm older now I'd have to call in the movers to do the heavy lifting. But hey! That's ok. When do I leave?

April 7, 2009 at 4:03 pm |
  62. KarenB, centralFlorida

If I were out of work, in need of work and needed to make a living, I would relocate if prospects appeared better somewhere else. Unfortunately, the grass is not always greener somewhere else. Use as good a judgement as circumstances allow when making a move.

April 7, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  63. Jim from Chicago

Jack, I have moved twice in my life for my job and at age 59 thought that was over. It appears not, as I am open to moving to keep my head above water since I no longer have a life preserver.

April 7, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  64. HD in Phoenix, AZ

Na. Been there done that. It's very over rated.

HD in Phoenix, AZ

April 7, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  65. Greg, Ontario

As much as I love to visit it, there is no way in hell I would move to America just to find a job.

April 7, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  66. Alan Bechtold -- Bonita Springs, FL

No, I'm not willing to relocate. I grew up in Kansas and I'm not surprised to see that Manhattan, KS made the top of this list. It's a nice enough place to live - but I moved to Florida to get AWAY from Kansas, which has more jobs now, perhaps - but little place to go from here. After this deep recession starts to turn around and take off, Kansas sill WILL be where it is now - backwards, overtaxing its citizens for very little in the way of lifestyle to offer, and lacking in the kind of innovation and excitement living somewhere where people WANT to live.

April 7, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  67. Johnny

My city sucks, where should I start? 40 cops being laid off, or the fact that our mayor now says that "The city don't have enough money left in the budget to fix the streets this year, we will get them fixed next year". The problem with moving is.. it costs money to move, you (The average person) can't just sell their house and move anywhere without having money. But if I could, it would be to a bigger city where the economy might not be better, but there is more of an area to try and find jobs.
    Now.. If I won the lottery, I would move just out of the city limits away from all the crime..

April 7, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  68. roger sing

I am willing to relocate, but that's probably because I am able to. However I would need my employer to guarantee me job security. I would hate to have to relocate, then lose my job.

April 7, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  69. Dee in Palm Coast FL

We are willing to relocate just about ANYWHERE, if there is a job. There is nothing here in this area of Florida.

However, if we do not find a job soon we will have no money to relocate! We're spending our retirement like water.

April 7, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  70. Johnny

By the way.. I am from Toledo,OH.. where we make Jeeps.. but we can't sell them...No one wants american cars (including myself).. Honda and Toyota are better.. last longer and better value for the money.

April 7, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  71. Chris (Katy, TX)

It will be easy if one was single to up and move for job opportunities but with a family it is not that easy. As a matter of fact I am willing to commute a short distance for work if I can make it back home weekends. Come to think of it truck drivers do this all the time so I believe it is doable.

April 7, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  72. Patricia

The quality of life in Boise is a well-kept secret. I'd push carts at WalMart before I'd move away.

Boise

April 7, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  73. F W MCGEE

My wife and I are willing to relocate to San Diego to find a new job. If anyone in San Diego would like a nice house in the suburbs of Virginia give us a shout out. We would consider Maui too.. if that's all we can get.

April 7, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  74. Jane - WI

There are plenty of jobs all over this country that are being done by illegal immigrants. Now if all those illegals were sent back home, how many more jobs would be available right in our own backyards?
    If that doesn't happen, then yes, people may need to have to move to find job and can't be tied to the location they are currently in.

April 7, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  75. Expat in Canada

ALready did, Jack, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I quit my job in Ohio, which was downsizing anyway, and moved to Vancouver, BC. I got a job within a week, and have enjoyed every minute of it.

April 7, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  76. Betty---IN.

While I still have a job, which is fortunate in this part of IN., I.d love to relocate some place warmer in the winter & taxes are lower!! Not Neb./ Iowa etc. Retiring soon so may go there any way.

April 7, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  77. Uchenna Aginam

Are you kidding me? Give me a job in any part of the world and you'll find me there the next day.

April 7, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  78. Neatha from Kansas City

We have relocated twice in our lives for work and would rather not, but I will also do whatever it takes to take care of my family. If the position was right for our family, then I would make the move.

April 7, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  79. Matt Lord, Cedar Springs GA

I spent 20 years traveling with the US Army, so now working in the civilian sector I would like to stay put, however if a good opertunity would present itself in another location I would surely relocate.

April 7, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  80. Nemer Baki from Lansing, MI

Yes, we all should be willing to relocate to find work. This is a result of the global economy.

April 7, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  81. Allen, Hartwell GA

Jack, I'm only 59 so I can't retire yet. Having said that, it would take a real good job and decent salary to tempt me away from northeast Georgia. I spent nearly 30 years away from home, relocating numerous times for the military and later contract work. I'm tired of packing-up.
    The good Lord willing and if the creek don't rise, my next move will not require me to carry anything but a happy soul.

April 7, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  82. Bill Glover Baltimore MD

In the course of my employment, I have relocated three times, Once from Los Angeles to Washington DC, Then to New Jersey, Then to Maryland...When my children were young it was an inconvienence to live so far from extended family...We are better for it, my children are stronger and they have been exposed to different cultures within these great states...Given a choice between unemploment and relocating, I'll start packing right away

April 7, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  83. Ann from Hampton, New Jersey

Not being able to live on Social Security alone, I am thankful for my part-time job in a nursing home. If I was laid off from there I couldn't afford to relocate elsewhere and if I did, who would hire a senior citizen?

April 7, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  84. Tom Ft Lauderdale

Jack

If I'm forced to move it will be to another country.....

April 7, 2009 at 4:40 pm |
  85. Steve, Clifton,VA

Jack

Do you remember the show "Wagon Train"? It was centered around people packing up and leaving one area for a better life in another.....Moving to where the employment is is a tradition in this country...Folks in the South moved to the North after the Civil war and slavery; Folks moved West: Folks moved to the Mid west for farming and manufacturing. Folks move to New York and Hollywood to land a job in the entertainment/ acting business. We have as a nation always moved to where the jobs were...

Steve
    Clifton, VA

April 7, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  86. CJ in Atlanta

As an unemployed American, I would be willing to locate, however since the housing market is a bust, I couldn't sell my house if I had to. I am limited to searching for nearby jobs only and in a slow hiring market, this is very frustrating.

April 7, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  87. John in VA

I am very open to relocating. I currently live in Richmond, Virginia, and have no real ties here. Richmond is a nice city, and, while has a slightly more stable job market than most cities, still doesn't fit my needs.

I will be completing my MBA this summer and I am looking for a job in which I can utilize it, but in reality my family is my highest priority. My family is important to be, but I can only take them in small doses. I am taking the Ray Romano approach to family: I want to live far enough away that I don't have to see them all the time, but close enough that I don't have to make a whole vacation out of visiting them.

April 7, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  88. Darren

Too bad al the good American jobs are now in Mexico and India.

April 7, 2009 at 4:56 pm |
  89. Brittany

Nope. My family is here. My friends are here. And as long as I have those I am never homeless. If we can all be there for each other then we would never be in need.

April 7, 2009 at 5:00 pm |
  90. Tony IL

Jack,

April 7, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  91. Brian

Jack, already have.

Brian
    Norwalk, CT

April 7, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  92. Melissa F. from Yorba Linda, CA

If it pays...it plays! I am actually looking to relocate from Yorba Linda, CA to Washington DC/Northern VA. Anybody got a job for me?

April 7, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  93. Jack Dempsey

Jack, Only if the fishing is good. Jack From Nice, Ca

April 7, 2009 at 5:04 pm |
  94. Joe Pecarich Wabasha, Mn

Jack, sure I am willing to relocate in order to keep my head above water. However, moving to India or any other country where our jobs have been relocated is a bit extreme.
    I have to tell you that I am sick of watching the exportation of the american dream. Why does the U.S congress give U.S corporations money to lay us off, and hire foriegn workers instead.

April 7, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  95. Jim

Yes– but I can't afford to.

April 7, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  96. Bob

I live in Michigan. Enough said.

April 7, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  97. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Jack,

I remember my own mother always moving for more paying work and because she had to put food on the table and pay for everything...this is my memory...yet we still ended up eating beef liver at one point for a while because it was given to us by our aunt and we had nothing else...good old memory...still cannot eat beef liver today...!:)

April 7, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  98. John

Pay me the same wages as those AIG executives and then we can talk about relocating.

John
    Washougal, Wa

April 7, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  99. Stepehen J. Kowak

Jack,

When I was out of work years ago, I traveled across country to provide for my family. I lived in a camper for 5 (five) years to do it.

Steve

April 7, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  100. Valerie

Yes, indeed! I am thinking of relocating from California to Texas and starting a green business there. Texas is kinder and gentler to industry than California is.

April 7, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  101. Jacob

I would and did. I resulted in a pay increase of 50% and relocation paid. I had just finished my MBA last year and had a few good offers for employment. Why not move? Things are bad and assistance is available if you fall flat on your face, so why not take the chance now?

April 7, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  102. Kinodikin

Depends, do the choice include India, or China, if yes, a big NO!

April 7, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  103. McQueen

YES !! Whatever it takes.

April 7, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  104. Official M-Dub

Yes I am. I have been unemployed for 7 months and work in the IT field. After scanning numerous job boards on a daily basis, it's very clear to me that there are presently stronger job markets for my type of work. I'm currently looking in Washington, DC, New York and California. I own a home. But, I will not let that stop me. I cannot be unemployed any longer. I am under water.

April 7, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  105. Rob

I would be very willing to relocate. I've moved twice in the last 6 months to follow new opportunities and would willingly do so again...preferably to someplace with no snow!!!!!! I work in IT and have actually been able to increase my salary by 50% in less than 6 months. Oddly enough, in this terrible economy I've had some real success.

April 7, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  106. Mark Sherman

Don't think the grass is always greener! I moved from Florida to Austin Texas because there were "jobs" there. I have been unemployed in Austin for the last 8 months!

April 7, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  107. Mike

Where should I go, Jack? India or China?

April 7, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  108. Ken in NC

Jack, if I could get a job and make enough money to be able to afford to move to find employment I would. On the other hand, if I made enough to be able to afford to move, why would I move?

April 7, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  109. John

Already did. We left south eastern Michigan over a year a go and moved to Chicago. Although the reasons were different, my grandfather did the same in 1949 when he moved his family from Malta to Detroit for work.

April 7, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  110. Jin Tsuchiya

Yes. I am young enough to be mobile and attempt to find work or start a career elsewhere, without much consideration to my present living situation or my family around me. There are, of course, intended locales I would or would not consider, but a job is a job.

April 7, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  111. Dennis in Addison, Il

Relocation is sometimes the answer, but sometimes that is also not an option. How do you suppose someone without the ability to relocate does so. They need help. Picture impoverished, single-mothers with children to feed and problems to face like bills and weakening job markets... Living check to check is no way to expect imminent relocation, for anyone...

April 7, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  112. Linda Cirocco

Hi Jack,
    Absolutely, I would move for a job, and I did. Although I miss my family dearly, this decision has allowed me to work while my friends and family back home are in the unemployment lines. With all the social software available to us (Facebook, web cams, Twitter, email, etc.), we talk more now that we did when we lived in the same town! In fact, we have to watch how much we actually reveal to each other! LOL!

April 7, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  113. Ted in Evanston, IL

As a college student, I feel lucky to be in a position to put down new roots in a new place with new industries. If there were a solar power company offering me a job in the Mohave Desert, I'd be there in two shakes of an iguana's tail.

April 7, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  114. Randy

Since being laid off in Mid December, I have treated my job search with the same dedication as a regular job, investing my capital into my efforts to find employment. I have visited employers between Sioux City, IA to Seattle, WA searching for construction related employment. Am I willing to relocate? Absolutely!!!! I see no alternatives.....

April 7, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  115. OBDAG in Appleton, WI

Answering this question truthfully I must say I am willing to relocate to find employment even though I am not currently looking for employment. Fortunately for me my employment days are over and now live by the WWII Principle : I do WHAT I want; WHEN I want; IF I want; and IF my wife will let me. This has been my outlook since starting retirement and remains my outlook for now. My main function now is to be a volunteer in the community I live in and help out other people as much as I can.. I also mentor several people younger than I am in an attempt to help them enjoy life to the fullest and feel as well as they can in their lifetime. The point is you must always be willing to relocate to find employment and as well continue employment if need be.

April 7, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  116. cheryl

yes in a heartbeat. i moved from la to lv for a job. now that i see what lv has to offer i'm ready to get out of dodge, fast.

April 7, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  117. Matthew G Myers

My husband and I are relocating to DC from NYC for his new job at the National Opera, so yes we are willing to move. It will not be easy though, as we cannout get out of our rental lease early and will have to pay rent in both cities at once for several months. It is a struggle we must undertake, though.

April 7, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  118. Kelly, from Buffalo

April 7, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  119. Donald Williams

Yes Jack, I am willing to go whereever the jobs are. I am in Upper Marlboro, Md which is the surburb of Washington DC and I can't seem to fine a job since May of last year when the mortgage crisis came upon us. I was a loan officer at the time but I am willing to go anywhere and do almost anything. I was previously a main frame computer operations supervisor.

April 7, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  120. Sgt. Yaeger

Let's remember the original hermits, anyone and everyone in the US military. There are times when we are asked or required to move more than once a year for any number of reasons. It doesn't all boil down to job security or being able to find work. But if that's what it takes to keep working to be able to provide for my family, then so be it.

Sgt. Yaeger

April 7, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  121. Meg from Troy, Ohio

Jack–
    I would relocate to find a job. You do what you have to do to survive.

April 7, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  122. Kenny

I already am. I've been working as an independent consultant for 4 years with a former employer as my biggest client. That client just informed me that I need to come back on as a full time employee at the main office or be dropped. So... I'm off. I need to leave my wife behind. She's still in school and she needs to finish her education. But one of us has to pay the bills, and that means moving 1300 miles from my family. I hate it, but I have to do it to take care of them.

April 7, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  123. Nicole

I would relocate in a heart beat...Sometimes you have to do...what you have to do... to put food on the table.

April 7, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  124. Aaron

Hey Jack

Considering a Global Crisis Like we have I can move anywhere in the US and the rest of the World Except for IRAK or AFGHANISTAN.

Please let me know where that Job is and I will move now

April 7, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  125. bill king

All of the cities mentioned have large state universities. So look up the nearest city with a large state university and go job seeking.

April 7, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  126. Mende

I amm so willing to relocate for a job, I am diabetic, lost my job 6months ago. kept looking for a job, so worried about my health without taking insulin, it's scary and hopefull someone will hire me and dont care where in the country

April 7, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  127. Phil W.

Yes, I AM going to relocate – to CHINA. I am a golf professional, and the only decent job I have been able to find in the industry is at a resort for an American-based golf academy. The opportunity, the wages, and the long-term benefits far outweigh anything in any part of the U.S.. The hardest aspect is all the red tape getting the work visa, but the effort so far is well worth it. I am looking forward to moving to China in about two months.
    Phil W.
    Myrtle Beach, SC

April 7, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  128. Jarrid, Mississippi Gulf Coast

As someone who has moved from Alaska to Mississippi to secure work, I say in this economy you have to make extreme sacrafices to make ends meet. If the only thing stopping you is fear, you have only fear itself to blame!

April 7, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  129. maria, california

I'd be willing to just relocate, California is in the toilet! And yet we continue to have outrageous illegal immigration numbers and pay out for services and benefits. Give me a job where everyone is legal and I have a fighting chance. Oh yeah, and it can't be cold.

April 7, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  130. Louise in Alabama

Now we are in a different category of fear. Job security. Tell us that moving from one job to another guarantees just that. The company one stakes their life on, or even their families lives on, may go belly up the next month. Stay where you are Jack. I think CNN may be around for awhile.

April 7, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  131. M Kruger

Yes, I would relocate to work, even after only recently being relocated here with my husband's military duties. I probably will locate on a wing and a prayer once my kids are out of school.
    Yes, we are fine on one income being in the military. We will always have housing, we will always have health care and our children will not be as affected by this recession as others. But, living in an area where there are thousands of qualified people for only a few positions is difficult. It is said the only way to get a position here is to know everyone, or be lucky enough to retire into a position that is being converted to a government civilian position.
    I would transfer in a heartbeat, so that I can provide for my family as well.

Outside Austin, Texas.

April 7, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  132. Syed Rahman

Many Americans do not have the luxury to move as they are stuck in underwater mortgages. I am sure many would be willing to move to find a job but how many would be able to afford two housing payments every month?

April 7, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  133. John

I am more than willing to move to find a Job. But in reality, I can not afford to move to find a decent paying job. Im sure that most americans that are unemployed are also in the same situation and would be willing as long as they are not tied down by previous commitments but due to the current economic state of our country can not afford to move. Especially if you live in an area of the country where a large number of jobs have been lost.

April 7, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  134. Betty, San Diego, Ca.

No! The temperature is 66 degree now and it is great most of the year here in San Diego.

April 7, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  135. James in TN

I been wanting to relocate since 2001. The problem is all my family lives here and not too many friends that live in different cities tell me there's a high demand for workers in their area. So it's live here with no job or live somewhere else with no job. Which one would you do? If I could pack up and move and know I'd fine work when I got there, you betcha I'd move.

April 7, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  136. Mike, Vancouver

Jack, moving around to find work is a good idea, however it has a number of drawbacks.

The dynamics of where an individuals lives may be prohibitive to move, because the area may be somewhat depressed and it makes the financial cost of moving prohibitive.

It takes certain resources to go and look around for work in terms of transportation, company contacts as well as the competition once you get an application in. There as we would expect is no guarantee of being successful.

Education level will be a major stumbling block for those who wish to travel to find work as companies who have excellent educations can do most of their resume submissions by mail or email and then follow up with a personal meeting.

There are many more issues beyond this.....

April 7, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  137. Bruce

I want to relocate to a place that is not dependent of government supplied services, not in the cities, and not under surveillance. The old paradigm of the need for an expanding economic model fueled by worthless paper has utterly collapsed.

April 7, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  138. Aaron Richard Green

Yes I would defintely relocate for a job. However the longterm permanence of the job would be the deciding factor. Having 3 degrees I don't believe it would behoove me to relocate for a job that might last for only 12 months.

April 7, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  139. Mike

With modern government and society focused on tagging identification on people and land, it creates a very hostile environment for people resorting to nomadic wandering in order to find jobs. And the people seem to simply not care, so long as no one encroaches on their "territory". This should also showcase the soberingly large role the human ego plays in society.

April 7, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  140. Karen

Jack,
    My husband and I grew up in NJ, we are married for 30 yrs, he worked for a company in NJ for 30 plus yrs. before the company was sold . Although we are empty nesters now. Had to leave my family behind and moved to Atlanta had no choice.
    Karen
    Georgia

April 7, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  141. Fred

I had to relocate to another state to find a high tech job. I live on the edge of poverty as I am having to maintain 2 residences. I cannot sell my house in florida and have to rent in South Carolina. As a degreed computer profesional with 25+ years of experience who has always lived within my means this is a first and I'm not alone. Some of the guys I work with had to turn there houses in to the bank in order to relocate. of course that ruined there credit but beats living on the street. If you want to get U.S. citizens back to work get rid of the h1b visa program. verizon in Temple Terrace Florida has 800 out of 1000 employees in the computer industry from india. If you didn't get laid off, or outsourced you got insourced by cheap labor from somewhere else. Just glad I have a job and feel for those who don't.

April 7, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  142. Carl from Citrus Heights, California

For myself, I would have to go somewhere else to work if there was no, and I mean NO other job where I currently live. However where I live is where I enjoy the quality of life, because of family and old friends, that exceed most every other consideration. Overall though, I will not let myself be a burden on anyone when there is a job somewhere else that I can verifiably attain.

April 7, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  143. Michael H. Oil City, PA

Family is everything to me. For 26 years I've been caring for my disabled elderly. I lost my father July 07', I'm committed to fulfill my fate to care for my 81year old mother. My parents busted there butts off to make this home for 49 years. I live presently in tiny town, no employment, it behooves me to stay put. I'll cross the relocation idea when my job is complete. Any diaster zone is an idea to go help.

April 7, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  144. Troy (Frm Calgary, AB)

The problem with 'Mobile Migrants' (as we call them here n Alberta), is many move to better economic conditions without realizing if they are applying for a stable job or not. Since the price of oil dropped, many people from back East who ran to the oil fields a few years ago, are now feeling the pinch of being laid off. So now many either move back home, or run to Saskatchewan thinking they will have a better job.

It doesn't fix your debts if you are spending a ton of money in moving costs, to find out your hours will be cut once you get settled in a new job.

Think of the big picture before you make your big move.

April 7, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  145. Charlie

I'm lucky to have seen and evaluated large swaths of America as a truck driver. Isnt going to places where there is greater opportunity- not just economic- but in all areas of life, the American way? Isnt that how the country was settled? Our original 13 colonies/states were New England and the Atlantic coast. It has always been that economic opportunity is greatest during expansion. Wars have been fought over this since mankind settled the earth. Anyone who is not willing to 'take the plunge' is likely to see his prospects dwindle in bad times. Sorry but that IS reality.

April 7, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  146. Sean in California

Hey, if Barack Obama is willing to relocate from Chicago to Washington DC for a job, then I figure it wouldn't kill me to do the same. Fortunately, I'm still employed and (knock wood) I'll stay that way.

April 7, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  147. NOAH

Jack,
    I'm watching CNN and wanted to let you know that I am definetely willing to relocate, I'm working on a criminal justice degree in law enforcement, and since I have a young child I thought moving out of the NYC area wouldn't be a bad idea, any recommendations?
    Thanks,
    Noah

April 7, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  148. Bruce Marshall

Yes Jack you do have to move to earn a living. I did this and didn't want to but I like to eat. Now if you can find work by moving then do so, except moving to Buffalo.

April 7, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  149. Mike

I have worked my whole life to build the home of my dreams on the intercoastal waters of Florida. Lost my job a year ago and have been looking ever since. Will I relocate? Answer: Not just no, but hell no! I will stick it out here untill I find something. I love Florida.

April 7, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  150. Wade

Jack,

I already did, and at what cost? I left Atlanta to work in Phoenix after having lost a job to the company closing its doors, stayed in AZ for four months then that company started their layoffs. I got lucky and found a job with a great company in Birmingham, for eight months I slept in my office while trying to sell my house in Atlanta, just couldnt do it anymore. Love this company, house goes up for auction due to foreclosure next Tuesday and I dont care, I needed a job. One things for sure, I will never purchase a house again, they are nothing but a boat anchor in uncertain times.

April 7, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  151. Gayle, Illinois

Some people relocate when they find someone on the internet because they think they have found the love of their lives. So, you bet I can relocate for a job which may have more promise than any newfound internet relationship!

April 7, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  152. Steven in Texas

I really don't like the idea of relocating. I'm a small town boy and love living in the town I grew up in. Unfortunately I was recently laid off when the local plant shut down. Now I will almost definitely have to move or commute to a larger city. I just wish that the big U.S. companies would send jobs to areas like Rockdale, Texas instead of outsourcing them to foreign nations. That's where my job went, overseas. I had a good job that I planned to retire from but it "relocated" away from me.

April 7, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  153. David , Indiana

well Jack I really like it here in Indianapolis but the way things are going here it looks as if I need to move I have been here my whole life and never thought of relocating until now it seems at this point I have no choice but to move but yes Im open to moving to find work but its kinda sad though and by the way so much for that north american free trade agreement that was supposed to work so well it wasnt a free trade agreement because we are truely paying for it now

April 7, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  154. Oregon Wally Las Vegas Nevada

i'd love too, only problem is there's so many people leaving Las Vegas, there's a 3 month waiting list for u-haul trucks...

April 7, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  155. Andrew I

If there is a job, I am there. Anywhere (and I mean ANYWHERE in the continental world !). Now, if it is for Halliburton ANYWHERE, then forgive my comment, I lied. Not that desperate (yet!).

April 7, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  156. Daniel Homestead, Florida

Funny you should ask this question Jack!

As a matter of fact, I just booked a flight with my family to travel to Nashville Tennessee in June. It won't be a vacation trip. It's a trip to look for a house and eventually a job!

I'm a teacher that just got laid off due to budget cuts and am currently working 60 hrs a week on my computer from home and doing some free-lance tutoring to make ends meet.
    My brother-in-law's family traveled to Nashville last summer and fell in love with the city, the mountains, the people, and especially the cheap prices for gas, groceries and housing rentals.

I'm from Miami, Florida where I've lived and grown up all my life and it's gotten too expensive and too congested to raise a family.

Both of our families are going to Nashville this time to look for houses to rent and eventually buy and to job hunt. We like the fact that Tennessee's standard of living is almost 20% less than the national average and it gives me the opportunity to live somewhere else where my six-year old girl can grow up safe and witness the change of seasons, including snow. Wish us luck Jack.

April 7, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  157. Kathy Cox

My husband and I actually relocated to Lafayette, LA for employment opportunity 5 years ago–myself, somewhat reluctantly- not sure, however, that I want to let the secret out of how fabulous Lafayette is!!

April 7, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  158. Rins

Yes..I am ready to move...

April 7, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  159. Tom Decatur Al

I would just like SOMEBODY TO BE HONEST 8.5% of the adult population unemployed TODAY is a WHOLE LOT MORE people out of work than 8.5% of the adult population of 25 years ago! Why is this never mentioned?

April 7, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  160. Ralph Spyer chicago Il

Show me the money

April 7, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  161. m.scott

Yes i am very willing to relocate to another city/state fo employment.Of course it helps that i am single without childrean,but still you have to do what you have to do.I am lucky to leave my previous job with a nice pkg.due to my former employer locating overseas.But it still tough out there for everyone,i just have to have faith that it will get better eventually.

April 7, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  162. fedupwithhypocrits

Definitely Jack. In fact, I'm working towards that goal as we speak.

-GA

April 7, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  163. Gordon Haverland

Relocate? No problem! I am an engineer ( 2 degrees) who is a high functioning person with Autism. I would locate almost anywhere a person who only speaks English can get by! Trying to find employers willing to give an engineer with Autism a chance is difficult.

April 7, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  164. Terence

Jack, i would not make any moves before i actually have a job to relocate to. Why would anyone sell their home and move without having a job to move to. Doesnt make sense to me. You may never find a job when you locate without having one.
    Terence, Piscataway, NJ

April 7, 2009 at 5:48 pm |
  165. Roland - St George, UT

No, absolutely not! Someone has to stay behind and look after things. In fact, I hope a lot more people move away looking for work elsewhere. It was really starting to get overcrowded here anyway.

(Roland/St. George, UT)

April 7, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  166. Tom (INDIANA)

I work in Florida for 12 years and now moved back to Indiana because the job wasn't supporting me above proverty. I thought I was going to be homeless and working the same time. I moved back to my family in Indiana. If I can live were I can afford a home,pay for food and decent close,be able to own a car so I can drive to work or anywhere I wish,be able to pay my child support,and not living by a pay check to check,I would move. No, I'm not asking to be rich. I'm just asking for a simple life.

April 7, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  167. Sandy in Arkansas

My husband retired from the military. Relocation was a necessity to keep your job and you didn't have a choice of where you were going or even if it were somewhere you could go together. I know there are people who cannot see themselves doing that, but as I tell my granddaughter when she doesn't want to do something, "Sometimes you have to do what you don't want to do."

Sandra in Arkansas

April 7, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  168. Chris

Hell yeah!!!!

Slidell, LA

April 7, 2009 at 5:51 pm |
  169. ANDRES SAENZ(Albuquerque, NM)

I am about to graduate with my bachelor's in mechanical engineering. When a company recruiter interviews me, I always tell them that I'm willing to relocate anywhere in America, or anywhere in the world. I love to travel and try new things...so far I have visited 10 American states and would love to see the other 40.

April 7, 2009 at 5:52 pm |