March 26th, 2009

Palin still relevant to national dialogue?

Here's a couple of quotes - see if you can guess who said them. In regards to last November's election, "And there was that media slant this go round. And unless things change, the GOP had really better can stand together, 'cause we got that on the battlefield also. I call it like I see it and like I lived it on the campaign trail. Not complaining, but dealing with reality."

Or how about: "Some in the media actually participated in not so much the 'who-what-where-when-why' objective reporting on candidates and positions, those five W's that I learned when I had a journalism degree so many years ago in college, when the world of journalism was quite different than it is today."

Give up? It's vintage Sarah Palin. In a speech to a GOP dinner last week, the Alaska Governor spoke about why the Republicans lost in November and seemed mostly to blame the press. At least I think that's what she said. The former Republican vice presidential nominee said she's not whining about it; but rather calling it like she sees it: "Sometimes it gets me in a lot of trouble when I speak candidly, and I speak from the heart and I do such a thing. But I am going to." Painful.

Palin mocked the Obama administration's elimination of the word "enemy combatant," while praising President Bush's efforts to fight the war on terror - even though "the political and media elite ridiculed and mocked him."

As for the future of her party - which she no doubt would like to shape - Palin rejected the idea that it become more moderate; instead saying Republicans need to communicate their ideas better. Now there's an idea.

Here’s my question to you: Is Sarah Palin still relevant to the national dialogue?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Bill from Michigan writes:
I never considered her to have much depth, interest, or actual grasp of the important issues at hand, but she does know how to rally up the conservative segment of the Republican Party. As long as she can rabble rouse and fund-raise, she'll have relevance, which is kind of sad if you really think about it.

Susan from Greenfield, Wisconsin writes:
To backwater people and certain members of the media she is, because she is not a threat to their intellect.

Dan from Ohio writes:
Why should Gov. Palin complain? When a mirror is put up by the media and reveals a shallow, self-absorbed, hypocrite, whose fault is that? She is symptomatic of the problems with the GOP: deviate from either talking points or platitudes and they're lost. As Tina Fey remarked in her epic parody of the candidate "you tell me what a maverick wants and that's what I want."

H. from Seattle writes:
Given that she is the subject of at least one of your queries every time she opens her mouth, it must mean she is still relevant to the national dialogue!

Chris from Philadelphia writes:
Let's rephrase the question: Do you want Caribou Barbie leading the free world? No. She had her moment and it passed. She should get the hint.

Pat from Butte, Montana writes:
Oh please, Jack, why would you of all people bring up Sarah Palin? It is long past due for the media and everyone else to just stop reporting on her. She tried and it didn't work. We all know it, she doesn't and the only way to get the message across is to not shine the spotlight on her.

Francheska writes:
Are Valley Girls still totally relevant? Totally not!

Diana from Santa Cruz, California writes:
Flailin' Palin is as relevant as Octo-mom.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Venia PA

As soon as palin opened her mouth at the republican convention and criticized community organizers and volunteers she became irrelevant to me. When she talked further on Katie Couric she became embarrassing. Now it's to the point where I hear nothing she says.

March 26, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  2. Tim in Texas

Well and when you get into that dialogue thingy, and then the media rears its ugly liberal head and the health care bit, well in Alaska, when they do dialogue they can hear it in Russia you know. And abstinance which as you in the media might just not get then that should be a part of the debate about it. Because if kids have sex and are getting pregnant or ending up with the AIDs stuff, well and then they shouldn't be having sex with the abstinance. So, yes Jack.
    Tim in Texas

March 26, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  3. J Georgia

To my mind, Sarah Palin was never relevant. Those who might seemingly advocate a single party system, their party being the only obvious righteous choice of course, has no place in the national dialogue in the first place.

March 26, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  4. Dennis, Columbus, Ohio

Sure! The same as in the national presidential election. Again she will help the Dems win in 2012. 🙂

March 26, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  5. PhilB

I can only hope that the answer to you question can be summed up in a one word answer. "NO"

March 26, 2009 at 3:49 pm |
  6. bill

Sarah Palin is a legend in her own eyes, period

March 26, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  7. Alan - Buxton, Maine

Am I missing something? When was she ever relevant to the national dialogue?

March 26, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  8. moe dallas tx

Very much so..Alaska is in so much better shape than the other states that finally people will realize her leadership excels the Democrats..

March 26, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  9. Karen - Missouri

Of course Palin is NOT relevant. No one with 1/2 a brain would listen to her constant whining let alone vote for her.

March 26, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  10. Kelly, PA

Oh for Goodness' Sake! I hope not !!!

March 26, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  11. Jenny from Nanuet, New York

I guess she is still relevant since her ridiculous comments are still being covered. I would love to see a Palin-Steele primary battle. Talk about entertainment!

March 26, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  12. Henry David on waldon pond

Is Sarah Palin still relevant to the national dialogue?
    Sarah Palin is indeed relevant, It is the national
    dialogue that is not relevant.

March 26, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  13. T. G. from the virgin islands

If Sarah Palin is irrelevant, why are we still talking about her?

March 26, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  14. Mary from Houston, tx

"...the GOP had really better can stand together, ’cause we got that on the battlefield also."
    Sounds like W bush again, oh it's Sarah Palin, well isn't she w bush 2?
    If the GOP thinks she's relevant, like bush and a beer (Cheney as puppetmaster), what a sad statement about the state of our union.

March 26, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  15. Doug - Dallas, TX

Sarah Palin was not relevant when she was running for VP last year! Not only is she out of touch with mainstream Americans, there is very little going on in Alaska that equates to what's going on in the lower 48. She's already proven she will work the system when it comes to charging off personal expenses and to be honest she is not close to being ready to be on the national stage.

March 26, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  16. Justin, Alexandria

She may be a selfish, santicmonious, childish, intolerant, impatient, inarticulate, inept, divisive, recalcitrant, dangerous fanatic, but she's also the best reminder of what it was like having Bush in office. And that's pretty valuable.

March 26, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  17. Justin

She represents how disconnected from reality the GOP has become. Until the GOP abandons the far-right fringe she will remain relevant.

March 26, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  18. Pete, Fla.

Only if you want her to be... and apparently you do.

March 26, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  19. TorontoGuy

I didn't know Palin is still relevant in any dialogue..

March 26, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  20. Jeff in E. Lyme, CT

Sure Jack, she's still relevant...........to stand-up comedians.

March 26, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  21. Chuck from Gulf Shores, Alabama

For Sarah Palin to become relevant she should go back to school and learn the use of the english language and proper grammar. How smart is she when she has and promotes her "special needs" child but she wants to turn down money from the stimulus for special education in her state? I hear "family values" from the right all of the time. Where are hers? She wants to teach abstinance yet has a grandchild born out of wedlock in the sight of the entire country. It seems to me that any educated person would know that sex education should be more about keeping kids healthy and alive rather than just birth control. Sex won't just get you pregnant nowadays...it CAN kill you, too! I'm just glad my child learned about sex and real family values from me and my wife.

March 26, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  22. stephen blesofsky

I hope she is. I hope she runs for president in 2012

Steve Blesofsky
    Democrat

March 26, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  23. Liz, Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Sarah Palin relevant> Who's Sarah Palin???

March 26, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  24. Matt Lord

Matt from Cedar Springs GA, Jack Palin can still be vital to the GOP, who else do they have, Jindal, Limbaugh be for real.

March 26, 2009 at 4:03 pm |
  25. marlene

Not for a least 2 years. Please spare us the pain! Marlene in Mich

March 26, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  26. Chad from Los Angeles, CA

She is the laughing stock of the GOP and their ideals! She says one thing and acts totally different, on most issues. She’ll be talked about as long as we are willing to laugh at her.

March 26, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  27. VJ IIlinois

Sure she is, right up there with Octomom, Blagoawayavich and a dozen or so other non-newsworthy noisemakers that are screaming for but should be left out of the spotlight. Maybe they can form a support group and call themselves the Could've and Would've but Didn't Club.

March 26, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  28. Liz in Los Angeles, CA

She's no more relevant now (nor will she be in the future) than she was when she was McSidekick. But if being photogenic means being relevant, I guess we're stuck with her. God help us all.

March 26, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  29. Meg in Alpharetta, GA

Hardly! Good grief................ she can't dialogue. WHO can understand that gibberish she speaks...........

March 26, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  30. Susan from Scotts Valley

Yes, she's relevant. A good number of Republicans are hoping she'll be the candidate at the top of their ticket come 2012. As a Democrat, that's an exciting proposition because she'll have even more opportunities to prove just how dysfunctional the Republicans are than she did as their VP nominee. "Republicans need to communicate their ideas better." We see what a strong communicator she is.

March 26, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  31. Jenny from Nanuet, New York

I wonder if she ever says anything without the word "also" being inappropriately inserted into the sentence.

March 26, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  32. Roanna Martin

Nothing like a heapin' helpin' of Palin word salad to keep us healthy and confused.

March 26, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  33. Darrell Wayne - San Francisco

Hi Jack, Sarah who?

March 26, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  34. Sean

Sarah who?

March 26, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  35. MQu

Sarah who?

March 26, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  36. Melanie

Oh my God, Please NO!!!!!!!!!

March 26, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  37. Patrick C.

As long as you keep bring her up, she'll be a part of the national dialogue.

March 26, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  38. Jeff in Cleveland

What do you mean, "still," Jack? Was she ever?

39. Annette Batkin

I hope not!

40. Tom

Was Palin ever relevant?

41. Gina in Racine, Wi

As long as people like you keep her, and what she says; in the spot light, Jack.

I know that the lunatic right wing fring that thinks she is the star of their Party......but for most American's.....;she was irrelevant long before she could see Russia from her porch.

42. Wolf Hess

Jack.... was she ever RALLY relevant ? just a comment from canada, where I can see Russia Too 🙂

43. Rob Murphy, Amarillo TX

Dear Jack,

Is she still relevant? Only to the GOP, and even then it's questionable because Steele is saying that God may want HIM to be president next!

44. Patnap

She thinks she is relevent. The rest of us could care less what she thinks.

45. Norm from Illinois

The word "still" presupposes that she was relevant in the first place, a point that is certainly debatable.

46. Tony from Tampa

Objection! Relevance. Hopefully, it's sustained.

47. JC Lee

Isn't she something?

A walking epitome of everything wrong with the GOP, the same party that decries irresponsible fiscal policy on the same day they release a budget full of tax cuts and no spending reform.

She is relevant to the national dialogue insofar as the GOP is relevant, and as the dialogue moves further and further away from her talking points both she and her party become less and less relevant.

And we're all better off for that.

48. Todd

No. She was not even 'relevant' when she was running for V.P.

49. Mac

No Jack, she's not relevant but she IS still a threat to national security!

50. Barbie from Hollywood, CA

Jack, I'm sorry but... SARAH PALIN and National "Dialogue" is a new oxymoron, isn't it?

51. William Weston

Absolutely not relevant. I am a moderate republican and found her to be embarassing. She had the chance to move the "joe six packs" from their position of ignorance and judgments without basis – instead she played on their fears and their lack of knowledge and most tragically to their prejudices. I had not seen the type of signs and comments as the ones at her campaign stops since the civil rights movement in the 1960. Shame on you Sarah – you had a chance to make a difference

52. Wayne

No, I don't think she is relevant and I don't think she ever was. She was a figurehead female/Christian candidate who sealed her irrelevance the moment she opened her mouth. I wish the news would stop paying attention to her.

53. Bill

Let's face it Jack... She never has been.

March 26, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  54. Jake

The Democrats can only hope and pray that Palin is still relevant. That would surely keep the Democrats in power for years and years and years to come.

March 26, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  55. Bill Tucson, AZ

Can you say that again in English. Maybe she would be bettter understood if she said that in the language of the land – Spanish. I know would understand her then and I "No habla Espanol". Palin was a nice publicity stunt at the time but her relavance from this point on is insignificant.

56. Jim S from Gardendale, Alabama

I believe that Sarah Palin is as out of tough with mainstream America as the rest of the Republicans. There's not much comparison with the residents of Alaska and with those of the rest of this country with respect to lifestyle, weather, work, etc. She seems to represent the extreme right wing of the Republican Party which took a beating in the last election for their policies, not because the press hounded and ridiculed them as she would have you believe. They'll probably put her out front again because they never learn. Personally, I hope they do with Rush Limbaugh as her running mate. Wouldn't that be something to report on!

57. Denise Stach

She will continue to be relevant as long as the media makes her so. By giving her exposure and stimulating discussion about Palin, we feed her hunger for attention. We ought to let her sink back into obscurity. Jack, I know that her blatant stupidity makes your head boil. She does it to me too. But please, can we stop talking about her?

58. Patrick from NJ

One thing for sure, she is as elloquent now as she was then. If Sarah wants to know why the GOP is in trouble, why doesn't she take a look at some of the transcripts you've posted? I was on the fence with McCain versus Obama, but when Palin was picked, it made it completely clear to me. If the GOP wants to make its way back they need to have some thoughtful solutions that are well articulated... you know, like William Buckley was. Oh wait.... in 2004 being "too intellectual" was a disqualifying factor for becoming president. Never mind.

59. Dan McGovern

Jack,

I am so sick and tired of hearing about Gov. Palin. She is not relevant anymore...she lost! After President Bush won both elections, how often did we hear about former VP candidates Joe Lieberman or John Edwards (until they both attempted to run again)? How about Jack Kemp in 1996? Exactly! Why can't the media stop covering a non-story and start covering news stories that matter.

-Dan M., Roselle Park NJ

60. Dave

Sarah Palin was once relevant to the national discussion. Her releveance ended when she assisted in the bloodbath that elected President Obama.

Now she is no more releveant to the nation than the currently lost in the woods, out of control Republican / Far Right Religious Wacko Party. Anyone who sees salvation for the Republicans in the person of Sarah Palin nees their eyes and their heads examined.

61. Rita Fort Collins CO

You said "guess who said this". Whoops, my guess was Joe the Plumber. She is as relevant as any of the rest of the fanatics.

62. Andrew (Denver, CO)

The only national dialogues to which Gov. Palin is still relevant are discussions about inarticulate politicians, or delusional narcissists.

63. John, Fort Collins, CO

From a national political perspective I don't see any signs that Sarah Palin is still a player. Like the Octomom, she keeps popping up in the news, but she has confined herself to rants about press bias, her McCain handlers, and strange random word sentences that only she understands. I'd characterize her now as someone stuck in the mud doing irrelevant Alasakan monologues.

64. Dan Janus

The only thing Palin is reliant to is a "Run Away Mouth Disease" (RAMD). And that's giving her to much attention and/or credit.

65. Danielle

Hah, don't make me laugh – she didn't even know what the VP was supposed to do and still called herself a politician? Almost every idea she had was selfish – such as the abstinence only program; it wasn't what she thought was best for the country, it was her shoving her religion down everyone's throats – she isn't somebody who should be taken seriously and it's hilarious that she still is seen by some people as a valid source of morals. I mean, seriously. She supports the aerial hunting of ENDANGERED wolves. If she's fine with causing the slow, terrifying, and painful deaths of animals – what makes you think she'd have any sort of compassion for other humans?

March 26, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  66. Damian M. Biondo, Esq.

Palin will ensure that she will not be relevant in future Republican politics, for if she is relevant, the Republicans won't be. While the partisan Democrat in me leans toward celebrating this fact, I am truly concerned about the absences of a stabalizing conservative voice in our politics. I hope the republicans can pull it together, but they need to regroup and listen to their more high-minded intellectuals who truly understand business, economics, and fiscal policy. Instead, they're caving in to the social conservatives. After all, Palin had only two qualifications when she was forced upon McCain–1) she was a woman, and 2) she could say "Jesus is my Lord and Savior" with conviction. For some 40 to 50 million Republicans, the latter is all that matters. For the sake of our country, they must do better than that. Palin's recent comments just reinforce the party's inability to engage in serious, long-minded self reflection on where they've gone wrong.

67. Matt Lutz, Los Angeles

Yes, Sarah Palin is still relevant. it may not be a good thing for Republicans, or Americans in general, but she still is positioned squarely in the middle of the Republican base. They love her and are chomping at the bit to nominate her as the Republican nominee. When the dust settles come January 2012, the last person standing will be Sarah Palin, and for that reason alone she is still relevant today.

68. E. Foster

Palin was not relevant during the election. I keep hoping she would go away. She and McCain lost the election because they did not have solutions to the nation's problems.

69. John Armour

I certainly hope not. This woman doesn't even believe any and modern day science, even evolution. Ignoring facts of the modern day world is why the GOP is where it is today. I want my children getting an education where they can compete in the world.

70. Mike from New Jersey

She is relevant to the republican party if they choose to keep going down the path of anti-intellectualism. I can't wait for her to run in 2012 to make her political suicide complete.

71. James, Quebec, Canada

No. You would actually need a grasp on the art of using dialogue first. Then again, we did misunderestimate W.'s lack of ability to put words into phrases. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me – can't get fooled again!

72. Greg Chesterton

Her relevance lies in her ability to demonstrate the need for improved K-12 education in America. Exhibit A: her appalling use of grammar.

73. lynn (democrat)

You continue to ridicule Palin's speech, yet ......you never...uh....mention Obama's.....use of ...uh...filler and extended pauses. High school students regularly get point deductions from oral presentations for that use. By the way, you also ripped Palin for use of the teleprompter, but you have yet to mention Obama's reliance on it. Both prove she is correct: Journalists have changed.

74. Punch

An open letter to Republicans: Please put Sarah Palin at the top of your ticket. My ears are finely attuned to listen for the sounds of trainwrecks & I haven't heard one since Palin's Katie Couric interview.

75. steve in florida

I don't think she was ever really relevant. I think she had a Lindsay Lohan moment, forced on us all in a desperate campaign moment.
    She can barely utter a complete coherent statement, She has more skeletons in the closet than a Med School, she's a creationist, on and on. The GOP needs a real candidate, not another spokesmodel like Bush. Someone with some there there.

76. RSB - St George, UT

Sure! She'd be a great spokesperson and advocate for the new plan to Save the Newspaper industry, considering that she is such a voracious reader of them. (Roland/St. George, UT)

77. Rick from Florida

Palin 2012. Change you can keep.

78. Sandy

Sarah Palin should stick around, she's good for a few laughs every once in a while. You can't really take her seriously.

79. B9ll Cameron

Jack: Palin aint so too much as relevant as her use fo the American (English) language Bill Ohio

80. nicholas

Sarah Palin is to politics what a cheerleader is to a football team. She does not have what it takes to be the quarterback.

81. Paula, Minneapolis

The same people who would have us believe Sarah Palin is not relevant do not seem to notice that Biden is a blundering idiot and Obama completely unqualified for the job of presidency. Palin is as relevant to the conservative movement as Obama is to the democratic party.

82. Dawn

I do not feel that she was ever relevant! She should have been an embarrassment to the Republican Party and how she arrived in the position of a potential Vice-President is a sad statement about the intellect of the average American.

83. Lorraine Duro

Her only relevance in the presidential campaign was to grease the skids of McLean's decline. She has no relevance to 49 states now individually and collectively now. Her 15 minutes of fame was stretched beyond limit before; she deserves zero minutes now.

84. Brittany

I do not feel as if Palin is still relevant to the national dialogue; not because her party lost in November, but because she is a detriment to how women are viewed throughout the United States. Very rarely does Palin speak with any sort of relevance, and oftentimes her opinions are jumbled, incompetant, and close-minded. In order for our country to continue moving forward in an ever-evolving world, it is imperative that we leave those who wish to remain staunchly conservative and hypocritical behind. Palin has no business in politics, government, or even journalism, and it would service her much better to try other careers that do not involve her addressing large groups of people.

85. Bruce Beckmann

Sarah Palin who? We gave this looser too much time and media coverage when she was on the campaing tour. To me, she is a true embarrassment to this country. It is frightening to think the media is still giving her any more media coverage.

86. Curtis in Philadelphia

Jack, Palin is still relevant to a huge minority, and thank God for that.

87. Linda Weitzman

She is the female version of GW Bush! I would keep her around for the humor or it all but I find her dangerous and detrimental to the future of this country. We cannot afford to have someone like her in office again!! We need bright, educated, centered people to steer us through these difficult times. She should stay in Alaska, maybe read a paper or historical non fiction now and then, and just keep an eye on the Russians from her doorstep!

88. christine

Palin does not know that Africa is a continent, and not a country. This is only one example of how poorly educated she is, If she wants to be relevant, she should try out for the game show, Jeopardy. If she wins, or even places reasonably, then perhaps Sarah Palin can participate in the American discourse.

89. Sylvia from Massachusetts

She studied Journalism??? In what country?

90. T.F. Stoerker

Sara Palin is not only not relevant to the national dialogue but she has added to the perception that the GOP is dominated by the extreme right. Sara Palin is perceived as so foolish, so extreme and so politically motivated that she will never be regarded with respect by those who take the national interest seriiously.

91. linda randle

no – absolutely no. i considered her an embarrassment to the women who in 1970's worked for job equality. what i can't figure out is why men are so taken with her. my husband couldn't believe i would not support her just because she is woman.

92. MQu, Louisville

Sarah Palin by any chance? As a Brit in America, I am saddened to see the English language torn to shreds. I know where she can get a course in English. As for her lack of insight and general knowledge, I am afraid she's beyond help. On the plus side, Bin Laden, who probably speaks better English himself I'm sure, may one day surrender himself as she delivers another cringeworthy speech. I vote my cat for next president.

93. Ken Theabolt

I hope she is still relevant for the GOP and runs in the next Presidental election. Best way for Obama to stay with us for 4 more yrs. Also she is so hateful and snide in her disjointed talking points and far right agenda that it makes it all the more clear why we must defeat the GOP. We already had one just like her for 8 years and we all know what that got us.

94. barbara in tacoma

I hope not Jack. Here's to all that think she's doing a great job in Alaska,largest school droputs in the country, highest rape in the country, ripping of the people of alaska, hiring incompetant peoplebeacuse there loyal to her, wait a minute sounds like the president bush and company. I hope she stays in Alaska.

95. Susan from MN

Sarah Palin is relevant for entertainment purposes only. From a political perspective she is irrelevant because she does not have any substantive views, ideas or leadership. Her state is dealing with some serious problems right now – Mt Redoubt eruptions threatening Chevron holding tanks and 6 million barrels of oil, hunger and lack of food in northern communities – and what does she focus her time on? Slamming the media and blaming them for the Republicans loss in Nov. Ha, what a relevant joke she is!

96. rick san rafael, CA.

What do you mean still? For anyone with half a brain she never was relevant. Just more republican hot air if you ask me.

March 26, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  97. Marie Rodgers

Sadly, yes. The Republican Party is no closer to having a cohesive voice than it was a year ago. If it ever does (and I suspect that the moderately conservative side will prevail) , Palin will be irrelevant.

Unless she reinvents herself. Again.

March 26, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  98. Guy

Sarah Palin is no more relevant to the future of her party than Michael Steele. She is just a reminder why a more diverse and inclusive nation should not and will not elect people who are socially stuck in the past or at least a out dated view of America and American values.

March 26, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  99. Susan from Greenfield, Wi.

March 26, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  100. Ginny from Pennsylvania

STILL relevant, Jack??????? She was NEVER relevant. If the Republicans feel she'd be a viable candidate in 2012, they will be doomed once again. I am amazed at the admiration some people have with for this woman. She would be a disaster in a more high profile position. Her comments and lack of knowledge during the campaign displayed that to the American people. I am a woman and an advocate for women in important places.....but Sarah Palin does us an injustice!!!!!!

March 26, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  101. Sharon, Rockford, IL

She was never was relevant to the smarter people in this country. I'm not deeply religious and certainly don't buy into the religious right but I am sure there is a God because if there wasn't we would have McCain/Palin in the White House. This woman is the least intelligent politician I've ever seen, running slightly ahead of Michelle Bachman. These two give women a bad name. Let the states that elected them deal with all their nonsense.

March 26, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  102. Kyle

Of course, Jack. I don't know what I would do without her in the lime-light. It is comical just how oblivious Palin is to what the general public thinks about her (hint: SNL). Where will I get such rhetoric that is so unbelievably out-of-touch with America? In that case, I suppose I will have to settle for every time Rod Blagojevich decided to come back from the dead.

March 26, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  103. LM from Fayetteville, NC

She MAY be relevant as long as the media of all kinds give her 15 more minutes.

March 26, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  104. Anna

I'm sure the commedians want to keep her in the spotlight. There's no better guarantee of a never-ending supply of material!

March 26, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  105. Kachi Ihuegbu (New Haven, Connecticut)

I think that is a rhetorical question, with a colossal NO!! at the tail end, it is apparent that she was a McCain pawn during the title race. How on God's green Earth are you running for Vice president of the strongest country in the World and don't know a quarter of Her history as well as constructive solutions to the problems facing Her. Plus her English is the worst in the political team (Arnold included). Her 15 minutes of fame has come and gone. GO BACK TO ALASKA AND KEEP LOOKING AT RUSSIA FROM THERE!! I just got to the U.S.A three years ago and I know better than here about America's issues and history

March 26, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  106. Dana

Sarah Palin was NEVER relevant to the national dialog. It was painful and embarrasing to watch her during the 2008 campaign and it would be torture to have to go through it again. If the GOP wants to garner support and gain back the voters they have lost, they must first admit their mistakes. The GOP's biggest mistake is not becoming more moderate, contrary to Palin's opinion. They have alienated many people (myself included) by agreeing to be a mouthpiece for the religious right.

March 26, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  107. Sharon

No, Palin is not relevant now or in the near future. She is very confused if she thinks the media is the reason why she and McCain lost. If the media stopped reporting anything on her or her family she would definitely disappear. Maybe she should back to school and refresh that journalism degree.

March 26, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  108. Jake, Beaverton OR

Sarah Palin has created a small legend for herself to fit her own mind. Hopefully she will be a rousing success at the fundraiser to fund someone more useful to the GOP ticket. Thankfully she is really good for energizing the obstructionist GOP base which thrives well on talking points, but does not determine election outcomes.

March 26, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  109. Alfred Lawson

Palin is great for the media (smile), and even greater for Democrats. You betcha! she's relevant.

March 26, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  110. Natalie, Grand Rapids, Michigan

I tend to vote Republican, and I think she's a huge embarassment to the party. I hope she's not considered relevant to the party.

March 26, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  111. Marilyn from Los Angeles

Let's hope her 15 minutes of fame are over! I never could understand how she ended up on the ticket with John McCain. She bragged that her daughter was marrying the father of her child so that smoothed over the familiy values aspect– like to hear how she'll deal with that one!

March 26, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  112. butch

Jack

Palin is relevant to the extent that she gives us Democrats another juicy target, in addition to Rush Limbaugh, Dick Cheney, Karl Rove , and others. Superb conservative minds such as William Buckley must be rolling over in their graves that such intellectual giants such as she and Joe the Plumber have become GOP icons. Keep them all in the spotlight!

salt lake city

March 26, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  113. Mike Crowe

Jack: Governor Sarah Palin is relevant to her consituents in Alaska and they appear to support her salt-of-the-earth approach to politics and to success at government reform. It's too bad you choose to unceasingly mock her at every turn. Tell me, did you ever share with your viewers Barack Obama's quote about him visiting "57 states" on the campaign trail? At least act like you're unbiased once in a while, okay?

Mike Crowe
    Houston TX

March 26, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  114. Marcella, Jacksonville

Sarah Palin is not intelligent or articulate enough to president or to be a national leader of any group. She is the major reason McCain lost the election.
    I switched parties to vote for Obama, an intelligent man who can articulate his position well.

March 26, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  115. Guy

No Jack she is not relevant. She is just as outdated as her views!

March 26, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  116. Linda

No. In order to be relevant to the national dialogue, you need to understand the issues; be able to intelligently discuss the issues; and communicate opinions and ideas. Sarah Palin fails in all of the above.

March 26, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  117. Reggie

Gosh, I hope not. Extreme ideology is only relevant to the narrow audience it appeals to. Lets move on and stop giving her and these kinds of ideas air time.

March 26, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  118. Bill in Texas

Jack:

Sarah Palin was never relevant on the national political stage. John McCain momentarily lost his mind, and the Republican Party was too stunned to do anything but just play along...

March 26, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  119. admiral nelson

I'm not sure if she was ever relevant to national dialogue. Democrats laugh and giggle every time she opens her mouth and Republicans cringe in fear that she's going to continue to show the arrogance and ignorance of the conservatives who feel that they are the "real america" because they have good wholesome family values. republicans are beginning to realize that public opinion is not in there favor and the media is not where the blame should be pointed. the blame should be placed on their policies.

March 26, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  120. Enough

Jack,
    I think the media has become a sink hole for garbage ideas and though Ms Palin was inexperienced, she did have a reputation for being proactive and pragmatic which is what McCain initially thought was positive about her. She did fly in the face of people like Senator Dodd who feigns outrage while he slips bonus provisions for AIG into the stimulus bill. Because the left has become such an embarrassment as well, I believe the left wing and the media will need a diversion like Ms Palin now.

March 26, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  121. Christy in Dallas

One of the things I looked forward to the most on Nov 5th was not having to listen to her uniformed, uneducated gaffs anymore! I only hope she takes over the GOP, so Obama will be guaranteed re-election! Until then can we stop talking about her, PLEASE? The only good thing about Palin was watching Tina Fey recount her gaffs on SNL....

March 26, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  122. Ted G.--Texas

Sarah Palin and Journalism now theres an oxymoron. She couldn't even remember what publications she had read relevant to current events.

I say if the GOP is ignorant enough to see Sarah Palin as an intergral part of their party, then they have more probelms than they recognize.

March 26, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  123. Brandon Franz - Olympia, WA

Not in the slightest, Jack. The only way Sarah Palin was EVER relevant was when she was slowly but surely driving the McCain ticket downhill. Why McCain chose her as his running mate I'll never understand. The only way she WAS relevant was her ability to create fodder for Saturday Night Live and the late night talk shows. She was largely a joke and she still is.

March 26, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  124. Greg F

My opinion is she's entitled to her political opinion, but she's not qualified to be a Presidential candidate, but most importantly I wish I could understand her qoutes when she speaketh sometimes??

Phila.,Pa

March 26, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  125. Mike

Still relevant? Are you kidding me, When was she revelant?

March 26, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  126. LG - MIssouri

The liberal media continues to mock Sarah Palin as they did during the campaign. Even as a Democrat, I saw the media bias for Obama that greatly contributed to his election. Palin was not experienced enough to contend with the media at the time she was nominated. However, she is smart and a quick learner. There will be a future time when she is a viable candidate for the Senate or Presidency. I strongly believe she remains relevant to our dialogue.

March 26, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  127. Gail Mitchell

Jack,

She wasn't even relevant during the campaign except perhaps for comic relief!

March 26, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  128. Ron from SF

As someone who despises what today's Republicans stand for, please let her be! With her or that idiot Jindal speaking, we win every time.

March 26, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  129. Sandra

By my calculations, her "15 minutes" were up a long time ago!!

March 26, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  130. Ethel

Dear Lord I hope not. But I have to thank her, my74 year old lifelong republican husband is now a democrat. Thanks again Sarah keep it up.

131. Jessica in Victor,ID

Palin is about as relevant to national dialogue as the Octomom...neither can handle publicity, and both bit off more than they could chew...their stories just make us feel better about our own abilities to speak in public and raise our children; too bad Palin couldn't have just been a Dr. Phil charity case instead of a leading vice-candidate of our country.

132. Pugas-AZ

No. She has had her 15 minutes of fame. She was a novelty, but soon wore thin as Alaskan ice in summer. I think they should put her and Polosi in a cage and let them "cat-fight-it-out. " Hopefully they would both lose. Sarah should add one "W" word to those learned in her esteemed college days: whinning.

133. nora CC TXAS

I think Joe the Plumber is pretty well insignificant now and by all rights Sarah should be too. She is not someone that can be trusted, she stretches the truth when she attempts to make a point, but mostly she is ridiculous. She has a large family and that is where her focus should be. I am not saying people can't do both, it is just Sarah Palin who can't. In answer to your question Jack, she is no longer relevant to the national dialogue, she probably never was!!

134. j/NJ

Is Sarah Palin still relevant to the national dialogue?

As a former VP nominee and darling of an obsessed news media of course she is relevant...moreover the media will make her relevant again in 2012 or before, a virtual guarantee...on the other hand despite Sarah Palin's authoritarian views she is right about one thing, viz. her statement that “Sometimes it gets me in a lot of trouble when I speak candidly and I speak from the heart" suggests that even she is aware of the strong puritanical values and constraints that exist in American society...

135. Katiec Pekin, IL

Falin never was and never will be relevant to me. She is just further proof of how out of touch the republican party is with the American people. She represents all we voted against.
    With her arrogance and ambition, she will self destruct. Bet you
    a dollar Jack.

136. Randal Coon

Is she STILL relevant to national politics? I believe a large majority of the country NEVER THOUGHT SHE WAS.

Randy, Shreveport, La.

137. Tom from Indiana

I opened my email on AOL.com this morning to saw what she said in her speech, and I was hoping Jack would be all over it. Thanks for coming through, Jack!

138. Shirley

Jack,
    Let's pretend we NEVER heard of Sarah Palin, maybe she'll go away, ya think????

139. Donald T. Presley

Dear Jack,
    Sarah Palin appealed to voters because of average person characteristics. This is exactly why the GOP as well as American voters should place her on the irrelevant list. The problems that are facing the United States cannot be solved by an average person.
    Donald in Louisiana

140. Carol

I will never forgive John McCain for unleashing this woman upon all of us! I lost some of the respect that I had for John McCain when he chose this person as his running mate. I was leaning towards voting for Obama at that point but, his choice cemented my decision. If the GOP is serious about doing better the next time around, then the choice of candidate needs to be smarter than a fifth grader.

141. Sarah

Sarah is relevant but only as entertainment. In these days of gloom and doom news, her speeches, comments and whiny rants are like a bad joke. You can't help but laugh and roll your eyes. Keep her around, I need the amusement nowadays.

142. Lula

I do not believe that Sarah Palin was revelant when McCain picked her for his runningmate. I don't think she is revelant now, except for the comics. I hope she realize that , so she can stop maiking a fool of herself, She and R.L. is in the same bag.

March 26, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  143. Ken in NC

Jack, Sarah Palin is essential to the national dialogue for the likes of Jay Leno, Letterman and others. We are in hard times now and need light moments from time to time and Sarah Palin is a very Light moment.

March 26, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  144. Patricia Cote in northern Maine

Sarah Palin relevant? She was NEVER relevant. Just a cutesy sidekick for McCain. Her comments throughout the campaign were hilarious. We always tuned in though – because we all need some humor in our lives – YOU BETCHA!

March 26, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  145. Debbie

Jack, if Sarah Palin becomes President, will we have to learn to speak English like she does? If we don't make "Sarah-speak" the national language, how would anyone be able to communicate with her?

March 26, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  146. Joan from Binghamton,NY

She is what happens to children who were taught thru a poor education system. Seems a lot of Republicans went to the same schools. "You betcha."

March 26, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  147. Jim Granger

Sarah Palin NEVER WAS relevant (to anybody outside Alaska, anyway). She can't even talk coherently, let alone raise her kids right. Why in the world would anyone want her facing Putin?

March 26, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  148. Chadillac!!!

Sarah Palin is laughable. She represnts a party of the past. A party that is unethical, hypacritical, and greedy. Their views on religion and Americans rights are stuck in the past. Bush, McCain, Palin, and Limbaugh are the reasons why the party is dying out. While Barack Obama utilizes new ideas and technolagies to see our way into the future. I can see NO future for the Republicans or Sarah Palin in there current state.

Chadillac
    Wisconsin Dells, WI

March 26, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  149. Stephany from North Carolina

Relevent? No. Comic? Ya betcha, wink, wink! I would like to know her views on all that wasteful spending on volcano monitoring her fellow Governor, Bobby Jindal, clued us in on. Sarah, can you still see Russia through that ash?

March 26, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  150. Nnanna, Philadelphia

I don't think she's relevant to national dialogue going with the ideas she's remained consistent with since the GOP's lost the 2008 general elections due to poor dialoguing with the American people.

March 26, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  151. Steve in Allegan, Mi

Dwelling on her gaffes in the media provides her a populist legitimacy. She, and others of her method acting, will always be embraced by those looking for adrenaline inducing hyperbole that validates their position. Both parties provide such drama. Sarah happens to be the easiest target recently. But, by responding here, I am also guilty of perpetuating just what I am frustrated with.

March 26, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  152. Brian Blashfield

I am all in favor of Sarah Palin speaking for the Republican Party. My fonest wish is that Palin and Limbaugh make a joint appearance. That event would be the greatest single demonstration of ignorance and hot air in modern history. Hopefully such an appearance would lead to Limbaugh/Palin ticket and the opportunity for America to see the modern Republican Party for what it has become.

March 26, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  153. Dan Elwell

Jack, I wounder if she would authorize a bill with 7,991 earmarks. If yes then I would have to say she will remain in the politcal eye. If no, she will remain governor of a not so economically hurting state of Alaska. By the way...How's Illinois?

March 26, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  154. c

I don't think she was even relevant before the elections. Stop wasting your time and ours and focus on something or someone brilliant. Okay, she's actually hilarious. Keep it up!

March 26, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  155. Jean Evans

Sarah is very relevant and listening to her is like a huge refreshing breath of fresh air. The woman speaks her heart and she speaks the truth. She doesn't try to "play up" to the press. I admire her honesty and her true Americanism! ! ! !

March 26, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  156. Kathy LaCroix

It's sad, but Palin is, indeed still relevant to our political process. Until all Americans decide to begin voting for the best and brightest rather than any old person who shares their values, she will remain relevant. I must add that it's truly alarming that so many of the GOP feel that Palin, Steele, and their ilk are their best and brightest. (And don't even get me started on folks like O'Reilly and Limbaugh....)

March 26, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  157. Amanda in Texas

Maybe if she could spell relevant she would be taken seriously but until then.....no!
    At first her stupidity was amusing, now listening to it is painful.
    I thought we were embarrassed by Bush. Palin....wow, did we dodge a bullet there! Thank you President Obama and shame on you McCain for bringing her to the national stage.

March 26, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  158. Mike from New Jersey

She is relevant to the republican party if they choose to continue down the path of anti-intellectualism.

March 26, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  159. Willie From Weston, Florida

Jack,

Sarah is like a pinata...you never know exactly what you're going to get. But I assure you, that once you do get something, you'll want to give it back.

March 26, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  160. Jackson from Tennessee

No. Sarah Palin is a joke who is trying to keep her name in the spot light in order to advance her 2012 presidential run by complaining about the 'media bias'. The best thing the American people can do in the interest of national security is keep her far, far away from any national policy making position. The Alaskan people should be so embarrassed by her.

March 26, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  161. Guy

The republican party is outdated and no longer relevant because it only caters to one view which eliminates the majority of Americans! Palin is no more relevant to politics than Ryan Leaf is to the NFL!

March 26, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  162. Jim from Chicago

Still relevant to the national dialogue? By national, I am assuming that you meant the nation of Alaska, which her husband has supported. Palin only was relevant to the U.S. for her sad 15 minutes in the spotlight around the 2008 election when she took cluelessness to an entirely new level.

March 26, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  163. Roanna Raphael

Sarah Palin has no relevance to politics except in her own mind. Her novelty value is worn out, and where I used to find her amusing now she is simply boring.

March 26, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  164. oliv, MA

Jack, it's time for the GOP to stop the hippocracy and Palin is no different. She is now much more confused than ever and only useful to those who have lost touch with reality.

March 26, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  165. William Spear

Was Sarah Palin EVER relevant in the national dialogue ?

March 26, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  166. Ross S.

Does Sarah Palin really believe she might be the GOP presidential candidate in 2012?

For a party that is already out of touch with the real needs of most Americans Palin is a huge liability. The right will have a hard enough time selling their ideologies to America without propping up a figure head who cannot string together a coherent sentence.

Sarah Palin is not relevant today. Maybe she never was.

March 26, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  167. Beverly Thompson-Travis

Is Sara Palin relevant to our national dialogue? NO! Absolutely not. She can't speak articulately and I suspect that she can't write either. Please ignore her. With any luck at all, maybe she'll just go away. (I'm embarrassed for her every time she opens her mouth–and I'm a Democrat!) Do, however, let us know if she receives an honorary doctorate from the college/university where she got that degree in journalism. (I want to be absolutely certain that I don't refer potential students to that institution!)

March 26, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  168. Brandon

Jack,

The Republican party's open-armed embrace of Gov. Sarah Palin (et al.) as one of its leaders underscores the primary factors that ultimately led to their decimation during the last two election cycles. The GOP is now a regional party largely comprised of outliers whose principles exist well outside of the political mainstream. Their Reagan-era ideals are antiquated, and have no relevance in the 21st century. They would be wise to embrace the perspectives of Utah Gov. John Huntsman, instead.

Brandon in Kew Gardens, NY

March 26, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  169. Dan

Sarah Palin, like most politicians, is a marketing commodity. It's too much about looks and presentation unfortunately – Miss Palin fits the deal. Real politics, however, should be about integrity & substance ... the GOP don't have any.

March 26, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  170. E. Bradshaw

Sarah Palin has demonstrated once her incompetency for and irrelevancy to national leadership. I think Americans are smart enough that we do not need a second demonstration.

March 26, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  171. Bruce Estler

When has Palin EVER been relevant?
    Seems to me that the sooner the responsible news media relegates her frenzied displays of ignorance to the dust bin of history the sooner we can get on with the serious business of repairing the damage done by her mentor GW.

March 26, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  172. Lonnie

Was she ever? Extremists are always prominent in the media but relevant? I don't think so. Our "War against terror" is really a war against extremism, should it really be a question of relevance or whether anyone really thinks she is anything but an extremist.

March 26, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  173. Guy

Sarah Palin is still relevant as long as she can still keep an eye (wink) on Russia!

March 26, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  174. Chris in Ks

If Palin is the answer, it must be a really stupid question.

March 26, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  175. Carole

Dear Me again with Palin, what happened to her "Communications & Journalism" degree, and how on earth did she earn it? I know that Iowa colleges aren't that lax, surely! She is a legend in her own mind, however, that being said, you have to admit, she is good for a laugh. Well I can laugh because she could never be prime minister of Canada, even Chretien didn't flub as much as she does. Poor Poor Americans, and we think we have problems

March 26, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  176. Ben, NY

People like Palin already diverted national attention from issues which really matter. Unfortunately the price in blood and money is too high and Country can't afford another disaster. The 9/11 th, and banks robbery under Bush's Administration supervision should teach a lesson for many generations to come.

March 26, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  177. joy - delaware

Jack: Let's see; where to we start with Sarah Palin ...... She's a republican , she can't even finish a sentence and when she does talk you tend to ask yourself-what was the question? What she needs to do is stay in Alaska, sit in a corner and READ! i'm not saying that it would help; but you have to start somewhere.

March 26, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  178. Tom from Philly

gee i thought her irrelevancy was part of why mccain lost, PALIN in 2012!!! keep obama in office for 8 years. I guess when u consider she belongs to the party that wants to teach creationalism, belives in just say no even tho her underage teen reproduced. They could nominate her, so make my day, but please 2 year moritorium on her mouth?

March 26, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  179. Linda

Jack

Apparently the Republicans think so, she is suppose to be the primary speaker at that function in I think its June. For most normal, rational thinking Americans, No.

March 26, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  180. Taylor, Kennewick WA

Sarah Palin never was relevant to the national dialogue. She couldn't even utter a complete sentence without contradicting herself. She was a publicity stunt for the republican party which went horribly awry. With the last eight years they didn't have much of a chance to win anyway, but they officially lost the election the minute they decided to unleash her on the world. If I was her I would crawl under a rock and stay there, but like most other republicans she seems to be oblivious to the fact that no one wants to hear from her anymore.

March 26, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  181. Jerry Voci

No, Sara Palin is not relevent to U.S. politics, not even to the GOP. They have much brighter, more articulate and knowledgeable people who can speak for their party, for their values and agenda. Sara does not have the ability to learn and assimilate the background of government, social and political issues or the ability to envision feasilble solutions for those issues, much less to colloborate with others to address and propose remedies for our society's problems.

Part of the GOP's challenge is to recover from the damage this woman has done to their party.

Eventually she will, deservedly, fade from the public eye and probably from politics at all levels. She is struggling to keep the cameras on her but by this time next year she will be a miniscule footnote to a failed presidential campaign in a flailing political party. We really don't need a dumb beauty queen as a leader.

March 26, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  182. Ken in Minnesota

As a moderate republican, she will remain relevant to me as long as Republicans allow her a prominent role in the party. She helped convince me to vote for the Democrats in the past election so, shucks, since we're still talking about her, she's still relevant - unfortunately.

March 26, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  183. n.stovall from hsv, al

Please tell me its a dream? You mean Sarah Palin is still talking? She is not relavant nor is she needed.

Get lost Sarah Palin

March 26, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  184. Anna Seattle WA

Surely the comedians want to keep her in the spotlight. She guarantees them a never-ending supply of material/

March 26, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  185. Sarah Hunt

The Republicans lost because we are sick and tired of their strategies and mindset. The press did their job, which was to reveal who could potentially be leading our country. Sarah Palin says she does not like to complain, but she sure does a lot of it. So no, she should not be a part of the national dialog, at least not until she becomes a little bit more educated.

March 26, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  186. Alexandra in the urban Northeast

Jack,
    Ms. Palin sort of reminds me of Octomom: loves being in the national media limelight more than she cares about quietly taking care of her children who need her. Relevant? Only if the media says so.

Alexandra

March 26, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  187. Hank

Palin/Limbaugh in 2012! Best thing that could happen to the Democratic Party and America. Might actually be the nail in the coffin for the GOP!

March 26, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  188. aaron r moon

no i dont think sarah is presidental material.i think she hurt the gop in the presidental election .nothing against her i just dont think she is qualified to be president.

March 26, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  189. Josh from Tampa, Fl

Palin only matters to the people who voted for McCain and the neo-cons. This woman makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. She is an embarassment to women everywhere and the United States. I have already seen bumper stickers saying PALIN 2012. When will this country learn....

March 26, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  190. Terry from Jackson, Mississippi

Yes, she is. Who else will make the America people laugh? It alway fun to finally have a Politician who is as clueless as Sarah.

March 26, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  191. Mark, Bradenton, FL

She is so irrelevant Jack, why are you guys keep bringing her up?

March 26, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  192. Ethel Orchard Park, NY

Dear Lord, I hope not. But I have to thank her, my husband of 51 years a lifelong Republican is now a democrat and definitely will remain ;one if she is still around next time. Thanks again Sarah keep it up.

March 26, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  193. Nancy

Sara Palin-relevant to the GOP! Have they lost their minds completely? They obviously did not grasp the very “clear” message sent during the last election. Self-importance is the word that comes to mind when defining the GOP. They are Greedy-Opulent-Predators!

March 26, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  194. LUCY - ILLINOIS

Jack, if you had to choose between Palin and Michelle Obama, who is your choice. Ha!! The Gop surely can see through her. I would hate to see her handle the mess in this country. No, she is not revelent and has a voice like a howling coyote.

March 26, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  195. Lynn from Indiana

Is she relevent, well of course. If the GOP want her as their next leader well let them go for it. Well just watch as they crash and burn.

and her comment "tfive W’s that I learned when I had a journalism degree so many years ago in collegee "........what does that mean? Did someone take it away form her.......................God, we can only hope!!

March 26, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  196. Karl from SF, CA

Of course she is relevant, at least to those that cheer at her rallies and apparently understand her babbling and irrational sound bites. What that says for the Republican Parties future is questionable. I noted the part about having had a Journalism degree in college as in past tense. Now I know why she doesn’t have it anymore. Until the RNC realizes she chases away the moderates, that they need to win, she will remain relevant. When she is put on the back burner, the Republicans may have a chance again, so let’s keep her out there in front.

March 26, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  197. Linda in Florida

In my mind, no! But, I hope she stays relevant to the GOP, because if she is one of their "best and brightest", Barack Obama is a given in 2012!

March 26, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  198. Phyllis L. Reed

Every time there's another comment from Palin, Gingricht, Eric Cohen, et al, I see a fast-fading dot on the political horizon.

March 26, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  199. Paul / Charles Town, WV

Palin is grabbing at straws. She lacks any new vision or profound insight into the issues confronting this nation. When tries to articulate a perspective or idea it is often disconnected and lacking substance. She is only as relevant to the national dialogue as she is able to volunteer good ideas and sound leadership. So far it seems she basically sucks in this department. Republican leadership should hand her the shortest straw.

March 26, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  200. Kathy Flanagan

Relevant? She never will be. She should be an embarassment to the republican party. I can't believe with all the smart women in this country she has gotten as far as she has. I was hoping that after the election she would just go away.

March 26, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  201. Chris in IN

It makes me ill to think of the rising number of these sort of people that are popping up in public debate more and more. People that so clearly lack deep, or even cursory (in the case of SP), understanding of the positions that they hold, but are in their positions solely due to the new found skill of being able to gush complete fantasy and sound illiterate in front of millions of people, all while going about it unfettered by self-shame. Let's hope it stops soon.

March 26, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  202. Larry Waybright

How can Sarah Palin be relevant to US politics?
    For Sarah Palin English is her second language.
    What is her first language?
    Alaskaneese.

March 26, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  203. Mary Odom

NO!!! She will be a laughing stock! She should stay in Alaska. She may not be re-elected as governor in Alaska after all her ethics violations!

March 26, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  204. J. RAILEY GOMPAH (L.A., CA)

No, Jack, Sarah Palin is not, and has never been, relevant to the GOP; she is a clanging cymbal for an irrelevant party that has gone far left until it has left America, leaving millions of Americans suffering under the weight of an economic depression they themselves createed. If only they could let the President we elected do his job!

March 26, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  205. Tony IL

Sarah who? I haven't heard that name unless you, Jack, bring it up. It's been so nice lately and you had to go ahead and ruin it. Thanks Jack.

March 26, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  206. David

It fun to read some of the comments people have left. When someone says there a Republican, there full of it. I'm not a Republican or a Democrate, I hate both. One group dosen't have a back bone and the others are just a bunch of criminals. I'll take Palin over DEAD HEAD Biden any day.

March 26, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  207. Marca - oklahoma

When was she ever relevant???????Just like Bush, she was, and remains, a joke to the more intelligent but less affluent in the country. However, I am reminded of Plato's Republic.........the democratic form of government encourages the rich under-achievers amoung us to run for public office. And we elect them. What is wrong with this picture.

March 26, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  208. frankie

Personally I hope she is the Republican Presidential candidate every four years for about 30 years, then I wouldn't have to worry about Republicans coming to power and trickling down all over me.

March 26, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  209. Chris D., Bx., NY

I do like Sarah Palin..... However, she offers nothing in thought, or deed to the pressing issues of our time.... McCain/Palin's recipe for success would've been, cut taxes for businesss, freeze all spending unless for military, and energy, and let all ailing companies fall (i.e. GM, AIG, CitiBank, Fannie/Freddie etc.). Though this feels good in thought and theory, they would have systematically catapulted us into the Great Depression 2.......

March 26, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  210. Jeff Crocket New Britain CT

Absolutely Jack! Just look in the mirror! You are still talking about her!

She will be President!

March 26, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  211. Tyler C. from Murray, KY

Yes! Please! She makes the centrists run left! Keep 'er around!

March 26, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  212. independent4ever los angeles, ca

I don't think she is at all relevant; nor was she ever relevant. The media did not destroy this woman. She did that to herself, single handedly.

March 26, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  213. Ameria in Georgia

Please, please, please, GOP, allow Sarah to be your leader!

March 26, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  214. Dave Hartley

Jack,
    Sarah palin isn't even relevant to alaska. She should be happy that they elected her governor since i doubt that she will get reelected. then she can go back to what she does best, being a wife and mother.
    Dave
    Columbus, OH

March 26, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  215. Dee in Palm Coast FL

She is NOT relevant.

She needs to go sit on her front porch and keep her eyes on the Russians!

And, of course, if the MEDIA would just stop reporting every time she sneezes I doubt there would be many people clamoring for news of her, her family, her diatribes, her hunting expeditions or any other aspect of her life.

Give it a rest!

March 26, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  216. A from GA

No. There can't be any kind of dialogue with someone who can't form coherent sentences and thoughts.

March 26, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  217. Joseph Wardy...Randolph, NJ

I am unaware that Sarah Plain was ever releant to national politices if you remove the small radical wing of the Republican Party. Is Ms. Palin the best the GOP can do? Perhaps, these are the people who look out thier window and can see Russia.

March 26, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  218. Bonnie in Arkansas

Jack, please, no more Palin questions. If she could learn to speak English and go back to school for a law degree, maybe.

March 26, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  219. Joe - Chicago, IL

Very relevant.

I don't think she's said one thing I've agreed with since I've first heard about her, but a large chunk of this country believes she represents their views.

Just because one is dangerously ignorant and completely unfit to hold office doesn't mean the person is irrelevant in this day and age.

March 26, 2009 at 4:40 pm |
  220. the reverend al

The media must fear Palin if they continue its attack on her

March 26, 2009 at 4:40 pm |
  221. Henry, Orlando

What is your hang up with a popular governor who has actually done something? Is it because she didn't invite you to a party like Michelle Obama did? You keep bringing her up despite actual issues where the President is showing real shortcomings. I'm not sure of your agenda but you should be better than this, Jack.

March 26, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  222. Annie, Atlanta

She's only relevant as queen of the right wing fringe. Did you get a load of those people at her rallies during the campaign? Wow.

March 26, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  223. mike

She is what is wrong with the GOP. You might say she is the poster child

March 26, 2009 at 4:42 pm |
  224. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

First of all I have no idea what dialogue Sarah Palin speaks, therefore I find her irrelevant. But if the Republicans find Palin relevant enough to communicate their ideas, then they had better be ready to become an irrelevant party.

March 26, 2009 at 4:42 pm |
  225. Steve, Clifton,VA

Absolutely!! Americans sometimes have short memories and the Sarah Palin will be a necessary , and constant reminder of what it was we didn't want in our national lpolitical leaders.

Steve
    Clifton, VA

March 26, 2009 at 4:44 pm |
  226. Simpliticus

Rush Limbaugh has demonstrated that a GOP leader hasn't got the tread to go the distance to 2010 let alone 2012! To have Bobbie Jindal give the counterbalancing view of the non-State of the Union address by President Obama and not Palin points to her ebbing effects within politics as a front runner of current status. And Jindal bombed badly as a result. Not to mention that Limbaugh's attempted support of the Jindal speech only points to a belated support of a dismal looking front runner himself. My guess is that Palin will be held in life-support while other GOP politicians can be looked at more closely like the governor from South Carolina. Otherwise, Palin's relevance is most questionable at all!

March 26, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  227. Doug in New Mexico

The woman is just not relevant to any dialog. Sorry.

March 26, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  228. Leonard F. Stolfi

Dear Jack: Her relevance to the national dialogue is that she reminds us all of the importance of personal accountability which is sadly lacking in todays society. By continuing to blame the news media for her political failures reveals shallowness of character. The debates clearly revealed a self centered politician; unqualified on all levels to become VP of the United States. Unless, having a perfect smile is the critical criteria for leadership....

Respectfully,
    Leonard F. Stolfi
    Watertown, CT.

March 26, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  229. Jude in California

Jack,

I don't know if she relevant or not, but I do know she's dangerous. Let's not underestimate her just because she's not well read, or can speak with any amount of intelligence. She's just what the GOP want to further their agenda and rally their base. "When I had a journalism degree?"
    I had no idea that schools were taking back degrees. Hummmmm

March 26, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  230. Bob D, Morrisown, NJ

She's as relevant as the Republicans make her. The more prominent she is, the better it is for the Democrats, Independents, moderates and the country.

March 26, 2009 at 4:47 pm |
  231. Kim - Blair, NE

If even one person thinks she is relevant after reading or hearing what you said, our country is in worse shape than I thought.

Palin – Obama. Talk about the far ends of the spectrum

March 26, 2009 at 4:47 pm |
  232. Dianne: Paducah

Jack, Sarah Palin needs to move on. She comes off as a sore loser.
    Most of the time, let me restate All of the time I ignore her. I guess that means to me she is irrelevant. To the national dialogue that is.

March 26, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  233. Paul / Charles Town, WV

Palin is relevant only so much as she can garner the support from those who are able to make sense of her disconnected rhetoric and ascribe to her conservative idealogy. The problem with Palin for me is that her leadership seems to be largely rooted in ideologies that have little to no relevancy and merit to most of the issues people are facing nationwide. She is better off simply staying put in her lair in Alaska where the people can makes sense of what she says.

March 26, 2009 at 4:49 pm |
  234. Karen - Nashville TN

Depends who you ask. She sure thinks she is.

March 26, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  235. Adda Porter

No, Sarah Palin is not relevant!!! I would rather try Mickey Mouse, etc. She has never addressed issues related to economics, environment, or family life in the manner that would make a difference in a positive fashion for the U.S. Her education and background in journalism is NOT showing. Sarah, you need to do a lot of studying.
    A.P.

March 26, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  236. Nan

Your still talking about her and I am still responding so I guess the answer is yes.

March 26, 2009 at 4:51 pm |
  237. Terry from Illinois

All Republicans have become irrelevant at this point, due to their extreme de-regulate every industry policies and against American worker policies !!!
    Republican policies are what got America into this mess of 1.5 trillion deficit for outsourcing American jobs and tax breaks for doing so, with the greed of mortgage companies, with Wall St greed, and with offending American allies until they do not help with financing Iraq and Afghanistan wars.
    Palin is just another Republican full of hot air , just like Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity and Brit Hume, she's just better looking !!!

March 26, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  238. Jared, Chicago IL

She is relevant only as a barometer of what kind of awful shape the GOP is in. Literally a dipstick showing how low the GOP have gone.

March 26, 2009 at 4:57 pm |