March 24th, 2009

Questions for Pres. Obama tonight?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

The economy will no doubt be issue number one when President Obama holds his second primetime news conference tonight. It's been only six weeks since his first primetime newser - but a very busy six weeks it's been. In that time, the president signed the $787 billion stimulus bill into law, put out his $3.6 trillion budget, started facing outrage over the AIG bonuses, and announced plans to bring troops home from Iraq in 19 months and redeploy 17,000 troops to Afghanistan among other things.

With Mr. Obama's approval ratings holding steady, one Democratic pollster tells NBC news, "The American public is rooting for him. They want him to succeed. But against that, they want answers."

So what do they want answered? Expect more on AIG; including maybe what the president thinks about the House's legislation to tax bonuses at 90 percent. By the way, that's going nowhere. Also on the economy - Pres. Obama will likely face questions on the latest Treasury plan to help buy as much as 1 trillion dollars in toxic assets from banks to help get credit flowing again - a plan that Wall Street seemed to like. Witness the 500 point rally yesterday.

And, as the president gets ready for his first big overseas trip next week - including stops in London, Prague and Istanbul - he might be asked about international issues, which have largely been on the back burner due to the economic meltdown at home. Look for questions about his televised message to Iranians on their new year or his plans to call on NATO to do more in Afghanistan.

Here’s my question to you: What would you ask President Obama at tonight’s news conference?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Ben from Indianapolis writes:
How will health care workers' salaries be affected by the proposed change in health care policy? There are many doctors that I work with who worry about losing substantial income, while also being taxed more for being in a higher income bracket. I still have yet to meet a poor doctor, but couldn't this drive some of the best and brightest away from the field if they worry about their potential income?

Rick from Medina, Ohio writes:
I understand the focus is now on repairing an incredibly difficult situation. At what point, Mr. President, will you and your team shift gears, and focus on prevention? Specifically, what kind of measures and regulations will be your priorities?

Chris from Buffalo, New York writes:
I would like to ask the president: Did you read the economic stimulus bill that you signed? If so, why were you shocked that AIG was just following the law when they paid out those bonuses?

Judy writes:
I would ask: When will U.S. citizens be able to buy products that are "Made in America" instead of China? I would also like to know when companies doing business outside of the U.S. will stop receiving tax breaks.

Tom from Fort Lauderdale, Florida writes:
Jack, I would like to ask President Obama when he intends to enforce the immigration laws. Our last administration did a poor job of protecting our borders.

Mary from Santee, California writes:
How can the president, in good conscience, saddle my children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren with a debt that they will never get out from under?

Tina from Texas writes:
I would not ask him anything, but thank him for caring for us in the middle and lower class. We need help, unlike the mega-rich.

Filed under: President Barack Obama
  1. Ralph Nelson

How are you holding up? Are you in good spirts? Not letting the press and Republicans get you down? Ralph, Yakima, Wa.

March 24, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  2. Bess Williams

Have you ever told a lie? Maybe to the American people. Will you be doing something to get Dodd out of Washington? Along with the undesirable cabinet members? I have to pay my taxes or I will get in trouble with the IRS. WHY don't they have to pay their taxes on time? What do my Grandchildren have to look forward to, beside paying for your spending spree? By the way , you sure got some BIG ears, so why can't you hear the people of our great country.

Bess, Seaford, VA

March 24, 2009 at 4:03 pm |
  3. LInda in Bisbee, Arizona

Are you sorry yet?

March 24, 2009 at 4:03 pm |
  4. Chuck in Sheboygan, WI.

On this 20th anniversary of the Exxon Valdez oil spill disaster I'd like to know what President Obama will do to make sure it never happens again and if he agrees with the Supreme Court decision that basically sided with big business and drastically cut the awards to victims of the spill and their families.

March 24, 2009 at 4:03 pm |
  5. Mike - Hot Springs, Arkansas

How can you put up with and be nice to the nastiest group of Republicans I have ever seen. How can you tolerate such complete ignorance and incompetence.

March 24, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  6. DJ, Detroit

I ould ask president Obama is his job sucks as bad as it looks like.

March 24, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  7. Mark Ross

Why hasn't there been an outrage about congressional pay raise this year. Why don't they take a pay-cut to show good faith in the system.

March 24, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  8. Kenneth Kohlmann

You have broken your pomise of no lobbyists in your Adminiatration and also brought on board tax cheats. Can't you find any morally and ethically honest people today?

March 24, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  9. G Bennett

Am I missing something here?

Why is Geithner, our “leaders”, and the news media spending so much time worrying, whining, and scheming over a few million dollars ($80M or about half the $160M; the other $80 was given to employees outside the US so no worry) when Trillions of dollars are being put at risk. I am not a real smart guy, but I have the feeling that either priorities are all screwed up or someone is trying to distract me and the country from the real issues.

I would like to see more attention focused on the getting us out of this mess…. I am NOT frustrated that the people that “may be” responsible for this crisis are getting bonuses, I AM frustrated that Geithner, our “leaders”, and the media is NOT focused on clearly communicating the problem IN DETAIL and building a well thought out plan to get us out of this mess…..

March 24, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  10. Tony from Torrington

Are you the third term of George W. Bush? Sure seems that way with one exception: you didn't give him the credit!

March 24, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  11. F. Anderson

No question for the President just a word of support and confidence.

March 24, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  12. struggling taxpayer

Why are these executiveswho helped to create this disaster still holding their jobs, reaping huge bonuses for jobs ill-performed, buying corporate jets (and enlarging their plane hangers)? Why cannot these executives try living on my disabilty income for a week to see what life is like in the real world??

March 24, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  13. Jenna Wade

What would you ask President Obama at tonight’s news conference?

I've been unemployed for two years now, does he have any openings for me?

Jenna
    Roseville CA

March 24, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  14. Boakai

To President Obama for tonight conference
    Do you believe in you break it you fix it mentality?

Was the Treasury Secretary personally pick for this position because he is the only person that can fix this problem with our economy, since he was apart of the group that fail to mandate regulations that cripple our economy system? After all Mr. President you are the only one that believe highly he can get it done.

Bo from Philadelphia

March 24, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  15. Matthew from Orange,CA

After years of illegal immigration, drugs, and militant gangs spilling over our southern border, many American's are demanding a closure or at least a strong administration of policy on the border between our country and Mexico. Now, after the kettle has reached its boiling point, and after years of begging an open border policy, Mexico has finally stepped up and.....BLAMED AMERICANS. They say our pourous border has allowed this conflict to occur and that it is up to us to spend blood and treasure to stop the flow of drugs and guns between our two nations.

My question to the President is this: "When are we going to take Mexico's advice and close down the border, stem the flow of drugs and violence, and give American jobs to back to Americans born here or naturalized legally?"

March 24, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  16. Brandon

pres obama if the customer who entered into contracts with a mortgage company failed to honor the contract looses everything without being reimbursed why should we reimburse toxic assets? Cant we seize the assets?

March 24, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  17. John, Fort Collins, CO

Mr. President, after two months and change in office, and an in-depth peak under the tent of the Presidency, if you had it to do over again would you run for President or is your old Senate seat starting to look pretty darn good.

March 24, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  18. Alan - Buxton, Maine

I would remind him that as a candidate he assured us that he would investigate the Bush administration and if any prosecutable crimes were found he would bring charges. Why hasn't this been done? If you put the past behind you without resolving the issues it will always stab you in the back when you least expect. The AIG bonus scandal is trivial compared to the atrocities perpetrated by Bush and Cheney.

March 24, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  19. Mark WI.

How he plans to reign in republicans, and put duct tape over their mouths!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 24, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  20. Bob S Philadelphia,PA

Jack,
    I want to ask NOBAMA if he is going to ask Dodd and Geithner to resign their positions and while he is at it he can also decide to step down for LIEING to the American people about AIG

March 24, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  21. champak bhumia

Pres. Obama,
    When will I get my job back?
    Thanks,

March 24, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  22. Alex Gallina

What's going on with that dog you were supposed to get?

March 24, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  23. Lynn, Los Angeles

What is your secret to dealing with the daily barrage of insanities, inanities and absurdities slung at you by the 24-hour press and the Republic-obstructionists? If we could bottle it and sell it, I swear we could revive the economy overnight! Hang in there...

March 24, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  24. adam

Since we are on a golden parachute kick... Since our public schools are failing, how about we stop the golden parachutes in the form of tenure!

March 24, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  25. Joaquin A.

What is Obama's response to the Alex Jones film "The Obama Deception"?

March 24, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  26. Ishmael

Why are you everywhere but in Washington? When is the economy going to pick up? Where is my stimulus?

March 24, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  27. Jan Davis, Knoxville, TN

I would ask him what he is going to do about the outrageous rates the credit card companies, particularly Citibank and HSBC charge their customers. These people are almost as bad as AIG.

I would also like to tell him he and Michelle are doing a great job and it hurts me when I hear the criticism of him and his team, all of whom are working so hard. Thanks, Jack.

March 24, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  28. Collin S. in Glenwood Springs, CO

Do you think it is in the country's best interests to have a member of the Tri-Lateral commission and Bilderberg group (Timothy Geithner) in charge of our finances?

March 24, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  29. Garrett

Should we continue printing money out of thin air, how long will it be before we have a $1,000 bill, and who's face will adorn it? Might I suggest little Timmy Geithner.

March 24, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  30. Lou

Why... oh why... are conservatives so very... very angry?

March 24, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  31. J Georgia

My question is: "Do you think inflation will be over 25% once we finish printing up all this money to give to all the rich boys?"

March 24, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  32. Jon Gill,philadelphia

How do you deal with all of the idiots who won't give you a chance to govern. In my 55 years, I have never seen a president scrutinized so closely and ridiculed so soon after taking office.
    This is terrible. We all gave George Bush forever to get it right and look where that got us. Give him a year and then get critical.

March 24, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  33. Tom Ontis

I would ask the President: "How can you say that the bonuses ha ve to be paid out to AIG execs because they had contracts going in, knowing that contracts are broken all the time-see the sports world

March 24, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  34. GB in Texas

Those "bundled mortgages" of very high risk were sold to investors around the world (mortgage companies selling to investment firms; investment firms selling to private clients) resulting in significant cash profits to the mortgage companies and investment firms. The private investors were left holding the bag. The monies should be in the hands of the mortgage companies and the investment firms! Somebody around here is lynig. And why would we want to give MORE MONEY to these confidence artists?

March 24, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  35. Bob in Florida

Question for President Obama:

Why has the government NOT charged ANY FINANCIAL EXECS with Fraud and theft? Why has the government NOT put anyone in jail who caused this financial meltdown?

March 24, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  36. Janne - NC

Why do you not hold Congress to the same standards as you hold the private sector? Congress has recieved an undeserved pay raise this year and expensive trips to Europe. They have certainly done nothing to derserve either of these. Where is your outrage? Why can you not understand why I am outraged?

March 24, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  37. Don Mattox

Why isn't the AIG Board of Directors held accountable for the actions of the "rogue" unit?

March 24, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  38. Sonya

Do you ever get mad? Sometimes it helps. It shows you are human. Why don't you fight the Republicans? why didn't you stand up for Daschele?

March 24, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  39. Ken in NC

Mr. President it appears that when good news comes to Wall Street the market rebounds. Every time Congress calls The Sec. of the Treasury and The Fed in and berates them, the market takes a big hit. Is there any means at your disposal to stop Congress from holding these witch hunts?

March 24, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  40. John Crowley Elkton, Md.

Jack
    Where can I get a Job. I've been out of work since June 2008 when my company laid me off. And no matter where i turn I keep getting a "no we're not hiring" All i want is a job and would do anything to get one

March 24, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  41. Kevin

I would ask President Obama this: With the new Toxic Asset deal such a sweet deal for private investors but such a bad deal for taxpayers, why bring in private investors at all? They're only contributing 6% into the mix, why not just let taxpayers foot the whole bill and reap the entire profit, since we're footing nearly all the risk?

March 24, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  42. Daniel

With all the violence in Mexico would you consider legalizing marijuana in the USA?

March 24, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  43. Ryan Freeman

President Obama,

Not a question about the economy: What are your feelings on the bill H.R. 1338, GIVE Act, passed on 3/18/09 by Congress? Will you sign this bill?

March 24, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  44. brandon

do you feel that everyone around you, between congress, your cabinet, state governors etc... are doing their jobs appropriately and living up to their oaths and promises given the problems presented with the American recovery and reinvestment act as well as other budget and priority issues? Do you think you should change them up a bit ?

March 24, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  45. JIM CARROLL INTERNET FREE PRESS

Mr. President, what do you know about the philosophy of MIXTURISM?

March 24, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  46. SHIRLEY-OHIO

I do not have a question for him, but I would like to tell him to keep up the good work, stand true to what he believes and keep trying to get us out of this mess, that we all know he did not create.

March 24, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  47. Charles Curtis

President Obama, how are your efforts to go through the budget line by line going? Have you found anything you feel shouldn't be there? Can you define "pork barrel spending"?

March 24, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  48. Maurice - Two Rivers, WI

Given the fact that a lot of Americans are out of work. What can the overwhelming number of Americans that have jobs do for the government to help in these troubled times?

Maurice
    Two Rivers, Wisconsin

March 24, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  49. Tom McMahon

I would like to ask President Obama, To what extent do you see fractional reserve banking as a policy forward into the future with it being nothing more than agiant ponzi scheme. One that ultimitly fails

March 24, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  50. Willie From Weston, Florida

President Obama,

You are thankfully doing so much in such a short period of time...more that what most could have imagined. Normally I would inquire about the make-up of a second term, but in this case, given your momentum, I'm wondering what a second YEAR will look like? Since the public is behind you, we'd like keep in lock-step with your agenda.

March 24, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  51. Jeff

Question that I would like President Obama to anwer. When does President Obama plan to raise taxes on those making more than $250,000. Raising taxes on those people is important to getting money to equalize the damage done to the middle class over the last 8 years. The weathly in American have gotten wealthier over these last 8 years. We need to make sure they contribute to pulling America out of the the curren crisis.

March 24, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  52. Janet

I'd ask;

Dear Mr. President,

I realize you have a very busy schedule, but when do you plan on prosecuting George W. Bush and Dick Cheney for war crimes and treason?

Janet
    Yosemite Gateway, California

March 24, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  53. u-of-m-hater

i would ask the president that now that its obvious the republicans wont work with him will he continue to try and look for their support or will he just blow them off and really give them a reason to gripe and moan?

March 24, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  54. JS

I would like to ask if we are going to get an investigation into how we got into this financial mess, did it start with Gramm Leach? When I see Geitner being grilled in the senate I wonder why he is not the one doing the grilling of the people who had oversight for the last 8-10 years. It is crazy that they are bullying him into saying what he will do to clear up the mess they made.

March 24, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  55. Pat Scarkino

The banks are not only getting bailed out by the taxpayers (who are in turn being gouged on credit card interest rates) but also are enjoying the lowest Fed Funds Rate ever. I'd like to know when the Congress and this Administration will address the legalized loan sharking in the credit card industry. It is a big part of the financial crisis many of us are going through.

March 24, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  56. Betty, San Diego, Ca.

I would ask President Obama if he has accomplished one of the most important health goals in his life, stop smoking.

57. Kris

My question for Mr. Obama is this. What do the letters in T.A.R.P stand for in relation to the prior 700 billion dollar bailout? What was that money spent on?

Followed by, do you think we are fools?

58. NYC REPUB, Bx., NY

Mr. President, can we get more manufacturing back into this country, namely Michigan? Also can we put another stimuls bill out late this year that only has infrastructure spending in it?

59. john christopher

President O'Bama. Congratulations on the new job. I hope you thanked President Bush for making things so easy.

My question is: Why do you not admit to your true nationality? You can't be ashamed of being Irish!

60. P. Edward Murray

Jack,

This is what I would ask President Obama,

Mr. President,

Each year we spend Billions of dollars to light the undersides of clouds, birds and airplanes...

Don't you think it's time that we stop doing this?

61. conrad Plonski

Can you find out and tell us why A.I.G.'s retirement funds haven't lost money while all other funds have lost 50% or more.

62. Robert

Hey, Jack
    I'd like to ask the Prez "Where's the bullets?" I can't seem to find rimfire 938, 9mm, 308, 322, etc. anywhere! Where'd they go cause I want them back!

63. Terry from Jackson, Mississippi

No question but i comment will be that I am happy with the leadership Obama brings to the table when compated to the last eight years.

64. Brodie

Everybody wants to see all of the AIG binuses returned by the execs. What I would ask Obama tonight however, is for him to return to AIG the boatload of mon ey he took from them for all of his campaigns. Kills two birds with one stone: they have some cash to lavish on their execs, and the American people may feel a little less like their President is just another over-compensated AIG employee.

65. Paul Anthony Magleya

I'll ask him why doesn't he had a clear plan to tackle this economic downturn and the enviromental problems!!

66. David Furrh

Hi!
    During the Campaign, Pres. Obama promised we could access to our 401K up to $10,000.00 penalty free to help out us citizens . Why hasn't he done that?
    Inquiring minds want to know?
    Thanks,
    David

67. Jeff in Minnesota

A lot of historians of the Great Depression have indicated that the policies of FDR's administration did nothing to help us out of the Great Depression and may have actually extended it. It was only with the outbreak of World War II that the Great Depression ended. The actions that your administration and the Bush administration are taking have been compared to those the FDR administration took and that had little to do with solving their financial mess. Why do you and your advisers think that your approach will work when it did not necessarily work in the past and what is the administration doing differently this time around?

68. Gary

My only Question Would be. What profit are the american tax payers going to get in return? All i hear is that they will make sure we get repaid and gain profit for using our hard earned dollars ( they took from us to use ) why don't they just clear every ones credit in repayment.

69. Elizabeth in Arizona

Are we American taxpayers going to be bailing out the foreclosed mortgages for ILLEGAL ALIENS?

70. Luke

Since the American tax payer must foot the bulk of the bill for the buying of toxic assets, why not give the American public a chance to buy into the deal voluntarily? Why do the Wall Street people have the first opportunity to make a profit? Doesn't make sense to me. These are the very people who managed to profit by playing unfairly; now we want to offer them "such a deal"? What are you thinking? Enough of the fat cats; they need to go on a diet.

March 24, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  71. Michael Brunette

The question for the President would be – "Why don't we add a progressive gasoline tax of 25 cents per year for four years to fund development of alternative energy, including R&D for the auto industry to create new transportation vehicles for us?" Gas prices are low today and why not move on this while the prices are low?

Mike – Roanoke, Virginia

March 24, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  72. Stefan M. Stanford

Jack,

I would ask President Obama if the Continuity of Government (COG emergency) plans signed by Bush in September of 2001 and renewed every September thereafter, including Sept. 2008, are still in effect? If so, I'd ask Mr. Obama if he had any idea what those plans are and why they are so secretive that even sitting members of the Department of Homeland Security (Congressional Reps) are not allowed to know. Thanks.

March 24, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  73. geoff

The govt delegated its constitutional right right to issue new money to the Fed. The Fed then creates all new money out of thin air on behalf of the govt but instead of giving back to the government, it loans it back when it buys govt bonds!! Why?? This is an artifical debt (which acrues intrest that requires taxes) because if there was no Fed the govt would issue the money directly … would it then buy its own bonds and pay interest to itself then?

March 24, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  74. Cat Slatinsky

Why are you helping the banks sell houses, but not helping me (one of the responsible citizens) to buy one? We buy the toxic assetts so the banks can jack the prices back up so that only people with money can afford them?

March 24, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  75. Brian - Trinidad

Where is all the change that you so passionately promised and we so passionately believed that you would bring.The biggest was no more Clinton,yet she is the ONLY one with any credibility in your cabinet.The tax dodgers,rewarding unqualified cronies with big gov't jobs,medicare,deficit,Joe Biden's experience in foreign policy (say,what happened to Joe?Haven't seen hide nor hair from him in a long time)etc etc etc.Time to start delivering on those promises.

March 24, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  76. Oregon Wally Las Vegas Nevada

legalize marijuana, yes or no ?

March 24, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  77. George H. Foster

If the Voting Rights for DC reaches your desk based on the Senate version which includes the gun amendment, will you be willing to sign it?

March 24, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  78. Peggy

Why won't you close that damn border w/Mexico.

March 24, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  79. Marietta

I would ask the Pres Obama are you going to clean up the wealthy greedy capitalism corruption with the economy crises?

March 24, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  80. Aaron

Mr. President, would you rather the U.S. be a Socialist nation like France or a Communist nation like China? Especially considering the Geithner's grab for power.

March 24, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  81. R. Stapleton

Jack, I would like very much to know if some of this professed oversight and trasparency will extend as far as the FDA, and get some of the toxic crap out of our food. It's in virtually everything I can afford to buy with a $40,000 income.

March 24, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  82. Emma, CA

With all the mess left from the Bush Administration that President Obama has to clean up, he has more than enough to do. But if I could ask him one thing it would be, "When are you going to end the travel restrictions for all Americans to travel to Cuba?"

Bush made things so hard on the Cuban people and discriminated against Cuban-Americans to travel to Cuba, even for their relatives funeral. I hope President Obama finally changes this violation of our rights to travel as free Americans.

March 24, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  83. Robin in Tampa, FL

I would ask the President if he is going to put greater pressure on governors who are refusing to accept stimulus funds. Because a 2nd Stimulus will be needed in the very near future but what good will it do if you have governors who are flat-out refusing to use the money to stimulate their state economies.

March 24, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  84. Allen, Hartwell GA

Mr. President, do you think that the Republicans in Congress will ever learn that their idea of government for the rich is not good for the country or the majority of the citizens?

March 24, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  85. Ken

I'd ask President Obama the government didn't give the billions of taxpayer money back to the American people to pay off mortgages, loans and credit cards. The banks get their money back and the people get out of debt. Isn't that a win-win for everyone?

Ken – Canada

March 24, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  86. lynn

The whole question and answer session will be a contest between wet behind the ears "reporters" like Ed Henry trying to grandstand by asking gotcha questions!!

March 24, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  87. Carson

Jack,
    I'd ask President Obama, "How are the nation's cotton reserves holding up?" We've been printing so much money lately, we'll all be wearing polyester by Christmas!

Carson
    Greenville, NC

March 24, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  88. John Berkeley Heights New Jersey

I'd ask the President how he retains his sanity and sense of humor dealing with so many nitwits on both sides of the aisle.

March 24, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  89. Kevin, New Jersey

Mr. President, why is it that families can't afford food for their children or to pay their mortgage and other bills, but CEO's (no specific name) that own large, wealthy News Networks can afford professional websites with high bandwidth and thousands of text comments each day? The day news reporters and journalists lose their jobs is a day where all hope is lost.

Kevin, NJ.

March 24, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  90. Willie From Weston, Florida

President Obama,

Just a thought, can we keep Guantanamo Bay open so that we may house and contain defunct and detrimental Republicans? This way they can keep Guantanamo open (as they wanted) and we can keep them at bay (as all rational people aspire.)

March 24, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  91. John

Regarding Federal Student Loans.

Would a federal student loan "bail-out" help stimulate the economy?

It makes sense to me, people that have federal student loans are usually middle class, tax paying citizens. Students that don't have a trust fund to use for college.

If Federal Student loans were "erased off the books", it would free up more middle class spending cash to help stimulate the economy.

John –
    Minneapolis, Minnesota

March 24, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  92. Tyler C.

In 1996, General Motors produced a $44,000 electric car that could travel 160 miles on a single charge called the EV-1. What will your energy policy do to return vehicles like the EV-1 to the road? Also, what energy solutions do you see providing electricity to the owners of these automobiles without putting harmful pollutants into the atmosphere?

March 24, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  93. LUCY - ILLINOIS

Why don't you tell the Governors, that are saying to the media, that they don't want help for their State, to shut up and go home. They know they won't last long as Governor. They are playing politics.
    President Obama, you are doing great.

March 24, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  94. Tim in Texas

I would ask him how he manages to maintain his sanity with all those right-wing-nuts, blue-dog dimwits, and lulu liberals running around up there on Capital Hill. I'd like a dose of whatever it is he's taking to maintain his poise.
    Tim in Texas

March 24, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  95. Richard

Watching the congressional
    Geithner/Bernanke hearings today, it was obvious that some House
    members have no idea about what was going on and really need to be educated on economic issues. How frustrating is that and how do you rectify
    this?

March 24, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  96. james jones

My questions is what will be put in place so that insurance companies, banks, investment firms do not develop investment stratgeies that put the individuals and the country at risk?

As a follow up what will be put in place so that congress or the president do not bow to lobbyist and other money groups to circumvent the rules and laws put in the place now at some point in the future?

March 24, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  97. Sherry, N. Calif.

for President Obama:

Why are we throwing trillionsof dollars at the causes of the System that has failed?

March 24, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  98. Quanzale McMath

Hello Mr. President: My question tonight is how are non-violent convicted felons who are willing to straighten up, be not discriminated by our today's work force. Is there any hope for ex-felons to provide to their Family without committing additional crimes.

March 24, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  99. William Rafferty

Panama City, Florida
    Why not make those receiving bonuses in excess of 200,000 take them in company stock that cannot be redeemed for two or more years?

March 24, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  100. Susan From Twin Falls Idaho

Being so young as a community organizer what was your inspiration?

March 24, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  101. Mike

This Nation is currently focused on big business and big bonus issues. Those who reap far too much than they are worth, or , those who arrogantly profit from most blue collar American workers and taxpayers hard earned dollars.
    Will the goverment step in and regulate the Oil industry? Will the government "cap" or "tax" OPEC so they dont once again step up and bleed us dry? If not,,,why?

March 24, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  102. Olivia

I can't find a high tech management job after being laid off in Southern California. There are programs for retraining people for the infrastructure jobs. Since those aren't high tech, can I get government retraining so I can become a construction worker or something?
    Olivia, San Diego, CA

March 24, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  103. Shelly

I would ask: Do you think we are impressed with the job you are doing?

March 24, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  104. Michael H. Oil City, PA

Do you think the 24/7 news cycle is exaggerated, overhyped, or petty when pundits discuss daily topics? How do you deal with the overdramitzed sensation?

March 24, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  105. Ed-NJ

How can we rank & file U.S. citizens most effectively assist you, President Obama, in continuing to think outside the box and in returning the United States to the nation our founders and framers envisioned?

March 24, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  106. Ed from Wisconsin

Hey Jack!
    I would ask the President if he still stands behind his final four pick for the NCAA tournament. Other than that he's doing a good job, his public poll ratings are currently at 63% higher than the past 4 presidents. Furthermore, watching this administration in action, is like coming up out of water for a breath of fresh air. The air was badly pollutant as soon as Bush and GOP took office over 8 years ago; thank GOD we got those incompetent bums out of the Whitehouse and congress for the most part.

March 24, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  107. DJ, Detroit

Mr. President,

You doing OK?

March 24, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  108. bob

Find out if AIG used monies from their insurance division to subsidise their FP division–a member of my family has been on permanent dis-ability for 5 years and is getting the run around as far as a settlement.
    Did they rob from peter to pay paul??

regards,

March 24, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  109. al

yes, why is it that the IRS will search us average peoples tax files with a fine tooth comb and send us bills from three, and four years ago. yet they seem to not be able to find the millionaires and corporations owing millions in taxes. They will hound the average person, who has a hard time coming up with the taxes to death.

March 24, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  110. Amanulla khan

Sir,
    Treasury Secretary Mr.Geitthner seems to down play with the AIG bonuses.He knew everything beforhand.Can he be trusted?.

March 24, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  111. Remo Austin Texas

Mr. President,
    Now that the American people own these failed or failing financial institutions, wouldn't it be proper is issue stock to each of us?
    Right now it's "ownership without representation". However you used my and my childrens money to do this. Isn't it only right and transparent that I receive my shares in stock, since I'm footing the risk, I might as well recieve profit, if that ever happens.

March 24, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  112. u-of-m-hater

petersburg va. i would ask the president why are the republicans complaining about you going on leno and picking the brackets for the ncaa tournament, when all we ever saw of bush was him chopping trees on his ranch and golfing as he was always on vacation. Who did more in their first 100 days? bush or President Obama?

March 24, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  113. Lee Sigmond

In light of all the prior politicians who looked America in the eyes on national TV, both parties incidentally, and blatantly lied to us over and over again please tell us why we should believe in you and especially after the AIG lies that came from Dodd and Treasurer and bounced back in your court? Now you want to regulate banks with the advice of Bernanke who is a man with vested interests that no other avenue in our nation comes close to in being a monopoly over the lives of all the American people's financial security. Some people believe in "Look don't Listen". I'm one of those. What do you have to "show" me I can trust you?

March 24, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  114. Eric Cummings

My comment to President Obama is: Why doesn't the government implement a national 25% tax hike across the board on tobacco and alcohol sales to help states reduce their own budget deficits and use some of the proceeds also for individual state by state job creation ? Thank You-Eric Cummings-Miami Beach,Fl.

March 24, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  115. Terry from Jackson, Mississippi

No question per say, but my comment will be that I am happy with the leadership Pres. Obama brings to the table when compared to the last eight years of mismanagement, lies, and trickdown economics.

March 24, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  116. Thomas Nalepka

What i would ask the president. Why should i feel comfortable in our gov't at all. Mr President, you want me to trust a guy at the treasury dept that cheated on his taxes, knew he owed money,and did not pay them until his nomination. And you also want me to trust a guy who knew about the bonuses and did nothing to stop them and allowed them in the bill. With that said. If you READ THE CONSTITUTION, What they want to do about the bonuses, is UNCONSTITUTIONAL, or have you guys forgot about the most important document that founded this country. I say this to everyone i know. The gov't could not run social security and medicade , and now they are telling people how much money we can make, and TRUST US... WELCOME TO THE SOCIALISTIC UNDITED STATES OF AMERICA. IT IS VERY SA...

March 24, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  117. walt Utah

Dear Mr. President,

Just a comment: "Keep your Enemies (Republicans) close and your(FRIENDS) ??!! (Pelosi, Dodd, Frank) closer.

Walt ..Sandy, Utah

March 24, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  118. Femi

I would like to ask President Obama how many hours of sleep does he get every night, with the enormity of the task in front him.

Femi
    Nash, TN

March 24, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  119. Barbara McConaghy

I'd ask the President if and what plan he is going to initiate for those of us in retirement, who need to go back to work to make up for all their 401k and retirement losses that AIG and like companies have caused, that we retirees thought were secure or would have never retired. The hiring people just won't even consider you if you're retired, and especially if you have a slight disability, not even for a desk job or part-time job. You can't get by it as the application forms now ask your date of birth, your SSN, what you've been doing if there is a gap in your work history, so you have to tell them you retired, and the worst part is they blatantly ask you on the application, do you have a disability, yes or no! I thought that was against the EEO regulations??? Seems to me there are a lot of good hard working retirees would love to go back to work, even in a part-time job and therefore the company wouldn't have to pay them any benefits. We worked hard all our lives, paid our taxes ON TIME and paid into the SS system and now we are like castaways!

So I'd ask him, again, what kind of plan do you have for RETIREES?

Thank you.

March 24, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  120. mark

how are u going to solve social security u have not talk much about it we keep borrowing money for every thing else, i am 40 yrs old will there be any of my money left over for my family to enjoy retirement on that we been paying in all of are lifes. And north korea getting very aggresive with us and are allies what is are plan if things spiral out of control over there we have 30,000 troops in the middle of a hornets nest over there and a 1000 missels aimed at them from the nort to the south

March 24, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  121. bill klepacki

Dear Jack, I would ask the President, instead of giving billions and billions to banks, Iraq, and Wall Street, just take a trillion dollars(or two) and divide it among every legal American citizen 21 or older, of course excluding every politician in Washington. You'll see this economy rebound quicker than a Congressman chasing a lobbyist.

March 24, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  122. Sherry, N. Calif.

Is Congress going revisit the Glass-Steagall Act since this dismantling took place 10 tears ago and we are in a mess because we do not have it in place?

March 24, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  123. robbyn patrick

With all of the economic problems, why do we not abolish the federal reserve? We the American people need actual CHANGE THAT WE CAN BELIEVE IN.

March 24, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  124. Dean Michael Harrington

I have a whole slew of questions. Am I allowed just one? The one that is continually on my mind is one that I haven't heard anyone ask when he's doing his "Town Hall" Q & A's. What plan do you have to stop the corruption in our government and on Wall Street? I read Professor G. William Domhoff's book, "Wealth, Income, and Power;" as well as a few books by John Bogle. The more I learn about the 1% of the people in the United States that has 95% of the money, -and they have learned how to manipulate the laws to keep new-comers in business down, the politicians quiet, and almost all of the US money in their bank accounts,...to only be used for -their- good; not the good of the people. I have sent off countless suggestions to the President via MySpace, Whitehouse.gov, and snail-mail. If you were gonna ask the President ANY OTHER QUESTION, it would be, "Sir, do you ever plan on responding to my suggestion/ questions?" Mr. President, I will take my answer "on air." Thank you for your time and courtesy in reviewing this correspondence, as well as your forthcoming response. Very Sincerely, Dean Michael Harrington, Veteran United States Navy

March 24, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  125. Joe KAMAKA Maui, HI

I am a supporter of your but have to ask these questions. Everyone's telling us as taxpayers that it is "Our Money" being used for all these bailouts. If it is, why are we not able to vote on how this money is used? Do you really thing the banks will ever lend again after being this close to collapse? It will be even harder than it's ever been to borrow money. I say unless we have a say, all Americans should take their money out of the banks and put it into locally owned and operated Credit Unions until the BANKS get their act together. Remember, some tax payers have no 401K, retirement, investments in stocks or even a savings. We could care less if these greedy banks collapse on their faces! If you were to divide that money to every American taxpayer, we'd all catch up on bills, mortgages and spend that money at retailers. The banks would get their money and Main street would prosper. Being from Hawaii, you should know most of us live paycheck to paycheck and still try to keep our heads up. What say you?

March 24, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  126. gail Centre, Al.

I would ask him how many more lies are going to be told, and why did he fill his cabinet with tax cheats. How can we expect anything good out of people like this. I've paid taxes, just like millions of Americans for over 50 years. who do they think they are? This adminstration is a joke.

March 24, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  127. George, Dunedin, Florida

My question would be: Mr. President, why would people question your ability to get us back on the right track, when the same people were schmoozed into thinking that Iraq was such a great danger to the U.S. ? I guess the old adage is true "that you can lead people to water, but you cannot make them drink". Well since these same people drank the wells dry believing Bush why would they now ask you to solve problems that were not of your making without giving you enough time to get your feet wet. Don't figure !

March 24, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  128. JoAnn C in San Diego CA

Jack, I would ask President Obama Why don't you take a break? You've been working really hard. Too much media. Too much too soon. Too much CHANGE!! What are you trying to do? Make a better America? A better world? You just have to watch those Community Organizers!

March 24, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  129. Cindie - Key West, FL

I would like to know if your administration will address the decimated credit scores we have experienced due to the unemployment, mortgage and banking debacles??? If and when things pick up and "credit" gets flowing – who will be able to get it with their credit /FICO scores obliterated? There should be a complete overhaul of the whole "credit/banking" industry – since none of this is our fault. It will take the rest of my lifetime to bail out of my mess with no credit or retirement to fall back on.

March 24, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  130. Tyler C.

Wouldn't a National Health Service, which would provide free medical care to all people (rich and poor), be a less expensive and more effective solution than simply pumping more money into an already broken system?

March 24, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  131. circy in New Mexico

I would ask why in hell we are removing troops from Iraq but putting more in Afghanistan? More in Afghanistan doesn't male any sense at all. To find Bin Laden? Defeat the Taliban? The first one really isn't that important, except as an ego boost. And the second can't be accomplished, even with 200,000 troops. We aren't going to defeat a way of life that has existed for centuries, especially since it would be seen everywhere as just another example of Americans interfering in a country thousands of mles from our shores; and they certainly aren't a threat to us. Too many Americans have been conned into thinking they're being trained to invade us by the millions (and it seems that Obama has too; I really thought he was too smart to fall for the enemy behind every door scam, used so successfully by the Bush Administration). That leaves only the oil, the rich American's God.

March 24, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  132. Marilyn, Powell Ohio

Have you or your team had any luck finding the missing $125 Billion Dollars the Bush Administration "lost" in Iraq?

March 24, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  133. Timsar Khan

Dear Mr. President,

Why are you and the Americans against H1B employees? We are legal skilled tax paying employees who contribute significantly for the success of the US companies and hence US economy.
    We spend majority of our earnings in this country simulating the economy here.
    So why are laws regarding H1 B employees are becoming tougher and tougher?

March 24, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  134. bill klepacki from mchenry,illinois

oops sorry Jack, forgot to put the town

March 24, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  135. Wendy from Charlotte, NC

I'd like to ask President Obama what John Kennedy asked us back in 1961. Rather than what can our country do for me, me, me, or us, us, us... What can I/we do for our country. I'm pretty tired of hearing the "no more taxes" crowd threaten to expel our elected leaders for even hinting that it's time for Americans to step up and pay for the things we've been buying. Like the War in Iraq that we were tricked into and now for the care needed by the soldiers and Marines who had to go fight that war they shouldn't have had to fight. As a member of the middle class, I would be glad to pay a little more in taxes so that ALL of my fellow citizens can have health care, better schools, and to turn our country away from dependence on foreign oil. Under Bush-Cheney, the private sector had it's chance to show how much more competent, effective, and efficient it was than gov't and it failed miserably. So, I'll gladly pay more taxes for more and better gov't.

March 24, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  136. Dominic C. Gardunio

Jack, my question to Pres. Obama is what is he going to do for the working class of America? Because we have been working our butts off every single day. Nobody has yet said thank you to the working class, and these rich people wants the money. Here is what I think that the working class is the foundation of this great nation. If we weren't be here the economy will be in the negative zone. So that is what my question will be to him. I hope that Obama will help the working class!!!!!

March 24, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  137. Jon H

I'd like to know :

Why do the Republicans hate America so much? Why are they almost pathological in their zeal to create a lack of confidence, their energy to scuttle any initiatives you have then claim it is in the name of "principles"? They have proven to the populace they have neither the principles or intelligence to work on solutions just enough guile to foster transparent attempts at confusion, dissidence and turmoil? Why do they embrace what appears to me to be a Facist agenda – almost a cult-like fealty to ideology, party, the "investment class" and personality rather than the common good and country?

His take on the fact that now every simpleton reporter (Joe Scarboro, Sean Hannity, Glen Beck etc) who has taken an ECON101 course and politicians like John Boehner, Eric Canter, John Kyl and John McCain who said during the campaign "I know how to fix it [the economy]" now claim that President Obama's plan won't work but have no alternate plan and all sat silent as Bush ruined America. Most Americans feel this way what does he think?

March 24, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  138. Amy B, from Illinois

I've heard very little and really nothing on what you're going to do to help single parent families, the poor (not middle class) and people with disabilities. I've talked to others, and we're feeling left out.

What programs will you keep? Revitalize? Get rid of? Add?

I'm a 46 y.o. single mom with a 16 year old daughter, on disability for depression, and finally at the point of looking for a job! I have a lot going against me. But I'm a fighter and will eventually get where I want, I hope, but, I'm concerned with the people who aren't fighters. I feel like they are going to be even more lost in systems that are bogged down with little money and overworked personnel.

Please address the lack of news and program that will help the three issues I addressed above, disabilities, single parents and the poor.

March 24, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  139. Evie, PA

Jack, it's simple...the question I want answered most is:
    Mr. President, please tell us what you are going to do to stop or at least reign in the outrageous practices of the unregulated credit card companies who are lowering our credit limits, raising our interest rates and indiscriminately closing accounts of long time good customers?

March 24, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  140. craig london

mr President when does the millions of people (THE MIDDLE CLASS )get a break i understand you need to help the crooks on wall street and the banks but when sir does the middle class get a break or bail out if we put as much effort in into the middle class as we have done to banks and aig we would have a very healthy and strong economy i thought we were going to rebuild the economy from the bottom up not the top down as always,we all always getting screwed

March 24, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  141. paul

Here is a thought. Corporations such as AIG, Bof A, Citibank, Wells Fargo, AMEX etc have all received billions of bail out money, yet, we consumers get absolutely no break in the credit card rates, infact, these insitutions have put the squeeze on us by raising credit card rates, don't readjust our mortages rates, interest rates, and demand more money to pay off the accounts. In fact American Express send us letter reducing the credit amount, raise the rate, increase the payment, and even asked that we don't use the card at all. So, why not make it a requirement of Banks and Creditors adjust their rates and payments. As a worker, I just took a 10% per month pay cut,($400.00) this is on top to the taxes I pay. The fat cats get richer, they get the bailouts, bonues and we get the shaft.

March 24, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  142. Lois Tucci

If President Obama wants to help the people..why doesn't he regulate the banks? They're getting away with highway robbery.

March 24, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  143. Loretta

My big question for President Obama would be, "when are we leaving the Middle East? That means not only Iraq, but Afghanistan as well. We are the interlopers, the invaders, not the liberators. Our presence in that part of the world has been disastrous. Let's reverse the situation, how would we like armed Iraqis and Afghanis taking over our cities and breaking into our homes and assaulting our citizens. Osama bin Laden could have been captured a long time ago using covert commando tactics.

March 24, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  144. Horn Lake, MS

Are you going to cave in to the paymasters of the democratic party and grant the unions even more power to destroy the lives of the working men and women of America, by signing the EFCA?

March 24, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  145. steve in scappoose or

When we withdraw from Bush's Iraq war should we also withdraw from the drug war we have been losing? After all they have both been costly and ineffective.

March 24, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  146. Pat in NM

Lobbyists in the administration. Crooked administration officials. Taxes on the rich. Change. Transparency. So many broken promises. Why?

March 24, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  147. u-of-m-hater

petersburg va. I would ask the President is there anything that you do or say that John Boehner agrees with? I see him on tv almost as much as you(President Obama)

March 24, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  148. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Do you believe that any company such as AIG should be so big it can bring down an empire? And if not, what could be done to avoid companies like AIG from controlling such large holdings.

March 24, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  149. Janice Lanham

If I could ask him anything it would be this: When you campaigned you were very into people's constitutional rights. Since you were elected you have kept the FBI Director and the Gates from the Defennse Department. Both of these agencies (ALONG WITH OTHERS) have been instrumental in violating citizens in this country's rights. When will you stop nonconsensual weapons testing? When will you repeal parts of the Patriot Act that are unconstitutional? What do you think our Founding Fathers would do about both of these issues?

March 24, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  150. Arlene Towers

I would remind the President that he said many times during his campaign Iraq should step up and contribute financially because they have billions in the bank. Why don’t you pursue that idea now because cutting our war cost every month would certainly help our budget? Jack I think the news media has forgotten about this too. Altona, NY

March 24, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  151. JERRY SOLDOTNA, ALASKA.

I would ask Obama why he is pretending to not be interested in a ONE WORLD ECONOMIC ORDER, when he claimed the need for it in Germany last July & today with Australias PM. Also I would ask him if he is "THE CHOOSEN ONE" that Henry Kissinger & others have said will lead the WORLD into the NEW ERA of A ONE WORLD ECONOMIC ORDER with the drownding of America in debt.

March 24, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  152. ButterflyWeed

How can we afford to maintain any war effort at this time??

March 24, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  153. Aaron

Kinda stressed? Need a cigarette?

March 24, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  154. R. Stapleton

My biggest question is: Since everyone in America has a salt shaker and sugar bowl on the table, why is the FDA allowed to determine how much salt and sugar we should have in everything? And by the way, calling it sodium or fructose doesn't make it any less harmful. There IS a reason why diabetes and heart disease and obesity are on the rise. Just read the label on anything in your grocery superstore.

March 24, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  155. Katiec Pekin, IL

I would ask President Obama how he keeps his cool?
    With all the diasters facing him he has to contend with the obstruction of the republicans on anything and everything and the negativity of
    the media. His plate is no only full, it runneth over.

March 24, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  156. Sherri Illinois

Mr. President what will happen to the 1 MILLION unemployed Americans that will no longer be on the Labor Dept statistics MSM because their extension of unemployment benefits will be ending this month & April. How can we send BILLIONS of dollars in so-called humanitarian aid to multiple countries and yet we have homeless tent cities here in America that will grow after this month. What about those Jobless Americans Mr. President and what can YOU do to further extend the benefits for them until the jobs market inproves or will they have to become another statistics of collecting public assistance?

March 24, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  157. Patrick Devonish

My problem, is there is limit on the fees that banks can charge on Closing cost? I want to refinance my mortgage of $149,000.00. My bank is charging me a closing cost of $5,000.00. I have excellent credit, was never late on my mortgage.

March 24, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  158. Marty from Lavaca Arkansas

When is the President going to help the lower & the middle class. Or can he only bail out banks and Rich.

March 24, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  159. Tyler C.

Mendocino County, California produces $1 Billion a year from the production of cannabis. Since according to a recent Rasmussen poll 40% of Americans approve the legalization of marijuana, wouldn't its legalization and taxation destabilize criminal enterprises and provide a new industry from which the American economy could, hopefully, recrudesce?

March 24, 2009 at 4:40 pm |
  160. AJ in Austin Tx.

Mr. President,

When did you REALLY know about the AIG bonuses and what should happen to Sen. Dodd and little Timmy Geithner now that we all know they lied about the AIG bonuses?

March 24, 2009 at 4:40 pm |
  161. walt Utah

Dear Mr. President,

What ever became of "Transparency", "Openess", "Accountability", and NOT signing bills, amendments etc. without thoroughly READING them before they get YOUR signature. I thought this was the CHANGE we voted for.

Walt -Sandy Ut

March 24, 2009 at 4:40 pm |
  162. Esther , Massillon Ohio

do you watch the situation room?

March 24, 2009 at 4:40 pm |
  163. Ralph from Detroit

I'm tired of all the stage shows, phony outrage form all you government officals. Just tell me how much of our money does the already super rich want. Then just give it to them now, in the end you will anyway,because I need a job yesterday. We all know that they and you are not going to stop screwing us until you/they get all that you/they want so just take it so I can get on with my life. So mister president how much do you/they want. ?????

March 24, 2009 at 4:40 pm |
  164. Elizabeth in Arizona

It's AGAINST THE LAW to give mortgages to ILLEGAL ALIENS! WHY hasn't ANYBODY been ARRESTED for DOING SO???

March 24, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  165. Karl from SF, CA

This has nothing to do with the economy but is as important to this country. When are you going to assign a Special Prosecutor to investigate the Bush administration’s war crimes, torture, and constitutional violations including spying on us? A Truth Commission is worthless. Both the Republican and Democratic congresses did nothing when it was staring them in the face. This issue needs to be addressed now, not later. We the American people know the truth, as does the rest of the world and it needs to be prosecuted to get our national pride back. Until then we are still torturers and I refuse to accept that.

March 24, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  166. Darren

Mr. President, when is the Justice Department going to start investigating the previous administration's war crimes, which the International Committee of the Red Cross has already confirmed?

March 24, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  167. Charles in Lawrence, NJ

How culpable is the Federal Reserve, as the lender of last resort and paid backer of our currency in our predicament?. Is it to late to cut them loose? Can we at least see their books? Will Ron Paul’s HR1207 ever get past ‘committee’? Will Bernake help?

March 24, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  168. jeff

I'd like to know if he (Oboma) and congress are willing to pay back AIG for all of the lost bissnes that they brought them, buy draging them into court. Just this week AIG has had alot of companys cancelling their contracts with them, now how can they (AIG) pay back the loans to the americen tax payer if the gov keeps it up?

March 24, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  169. Walt Fiedor

Jack,
    I'd like to ask President Obama, that at a town meeting in Florida shortly before the election, a gentleman ask him, "Are we going to get a check to help pay the mortage and other bills, and the President elect at the time said yes. Why did he lie to that gentleman. Now all we are to get is 13 dollars a week and the banks and insurance companys are still getting billions. Something is wrong here.

Walt, from Pa.

March 24, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  170. Sharon, Rockford, IL

Along with all you are doing to loosen credit are you going to address what the credit card companies are doing? Not only are they loan sharking us with outrageous interest rates but they are destroying peoples' credit scores by lowering credit limits to what people currently owe and sometimes less than what they owe which affects credit scores. Lower credit scores affect our ability to buy homes, cars and other big ticket items. First they raid our saving and investments so there is less money to purchase these items and then they mess with our credit scores making it even more difficult. This is an integral part of this credit mess.

March 24, 2009 at 4:42 pm |
  171. Charles Illinois

How do you feel Mr. President to see the BILLIONS of dollars funnelled down to the corporations, auto industries, banks, AND we have millions of jobless Americans not able to find a job and losing the homes, apartments, and savings?.

March 24, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  172. Jeremy

We the people bailed out the S & L's in 1987 in the tune of about $1.4 Trillion Dollars for almost the identical situation we are in today. With no one being held accountable.

Now 20 yrs later, we are bailing the banking industry out AGAIN. And the orchestrators walk away with millions if not billions of our dollars.

Is your administration going to hold a any of these weasels accountable?

We punish bank robbers and yet there are the same.

March 24, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  173. Susan from Greenfield, Wi.

I would ask him 'why do you want a job that forces you to answer to lesser individuals, such as the media'.

March 24, 2009 at 4:44 pm |
  174. Laurab

I think most people realize why the government has to bail out these mega banks, and investment firms like AIG. So, the ecomomy does not collape. What I think is eating at most people, why is Bernie Madoff the only one going to jail?

Even though ,the President said, on the Jay Leno Show, "the dirty little secret is,what was done was Legal. The government's attorney's must find loopholes in these laws that show some accountability. Fraud.

My question to President Obama would be. Are there going to be investigations on the legal crooks? Will these guys be prosecuted, and go to jail, so the people can feel some sense of justicee!

I think 20-25 people at AIG were mentioned as accountable for the securities discrace. They need to prosecute the guys who wear the nice suits, and have the nice homes, and yaghts,play golf, and go to their country clubs, like they would any common crimminal. Washington needs to step up!
    Washington needs to stop holding these"corporate bad guy's to a different standard.
    LauraB
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts

March 24, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  175. Kevin R. Geaney

Question for President Obama.
    I keep hearing you say that small businesses are the backbone of the economy. I am a small businessman who was knocked out of business because our government was UNWILLING to regulate the financial industry. I would also like to add that the federal government through the SBA has never been able to help truly small businesses. Check the record.
    Will you at least modify the existing SBA regulations in order to qualify small businesses for financial help? You sure changed things in a hurry for Wall Street.

March 24, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  176. Rhiannonrede

I would ask " A lot of people in the media and Congress are charging that you are out of touch with the needs and real problems of the hurting average Americans, that you are in a "bubble". Are you and what can you do to change this perception?

March 24, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  177. joaquin a.

Obama, whem will you repeal NSPD 51? or was it signed into act by president Bush, so that you could use it.

March 24, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  178. frank de luca crivitz wi

Whats with all the give aways to the banks, and wall street?
    Buying their toxic assets, access to FED money @ 0%, with their
    don't give a dam, little or no cooperation.
    How about us who saved and planned for their retirement, only to find our savings, Ira's, etc are facing the lowest interest rates ever.
    Discusted and frustrated

March 24, 2009 at 4:47 pm |
  179. Elizabeth in Arizona

Would you allow your family to eat at a fast-food restaurant where the ILLEGAL ALIENS who are preparing your food have no Health Card?

March 24, 2009 at 4:47 pm |
  180. Christina- Oregon

If a large majority of U.S. citizens, HAVING BEEN WELL INFORMED AND EDUCATED ON ALL OF THE IMPLICATIONS, voted/ supported the idea of letting one of these big companies fail, would you uphold the will of the people?

March 24, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  181. Gary

Mr. president. do have any intention of dissolving the Federal Reserve, and giving the constitutional right to print our own money back to congress, like it was intended. The fathers of our country are turning in their graves, at what has happened to our monetary system!

March 24, 2009 at 4:49 pm |
  182. Ron Talley

"Too big to fail?" What happened to the anti-trust laws of the last century that were supposed to stop monopolies from being created? If these companies were not allowed to get so big we may not have this AIG problem. The change made to everyone's payroll deduction I hope is not the same plan that president H.W. Bush passed at the end of his term which allowed you more in your paycheck each payday but you still owed the same amount of tax at the end of the year.

Ron Talley. Ontario, Canada.

March 24, 2009 at 4:49 pm |
  183. Kevin Monticello FL

Mr. President, when will you instead of bailing them out , force the banks to re negotiate upside down mortgages to reflect "current value"? When will you finally tell Mexico to "shove off" , clean up their own mess, and we own 86% of the export in NAFTA , so were gonna re negotiate that as well to benifit the American worker? Finally, when are we going to put an end to the Chi- Com dominance of buying up all of our strategic assets at bargain price, wanting to now do away with our currency, and also stand up to those little puppet countries threatening us with Nuclear annihalation? Rally round the Red White and Blue .......if we dont defend her today.....tommorrow may be too late.

March 24, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  184. Jennifer

We are small business owners who have been struggling for over a year now in this economy. We were hoping that your new SBA Recovery Act was going to help business like ours, but from everything we have now read and heard it appears to only help business that have only recently began to struggle. Do you understand that when a business is struggling it may not be able to pay all it’s bills on time, even though they are trying and by putting a perfect credit (36 months) stipulation on the loans being made thru the SBA Recovery Act leaves out majority of small business that have been struggling for the last 1-2 years. Did you put all the same stipulations on the bank bailout money that you seem to have no problem handing out? We once believed in you Mr. President and the way you were doing business but now we are nothing more than deeply disappointed in the fact that once again big business is receiving special treatment while small business is set aside. Do you have any plans to ACTUALLY help out small business or not?

March 24, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  185. Elizabeth in Arizona

Why "CAN'T" we allow the National Guard to "Guard Our Nation" on the Southern Border??

March 24, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  186. Louise in Alabama

Of all the world's economical and military problems, and that there is the very real possibility of a global war, is there a copy of the Constitution March composed by H. Krummacher published by Miller and Beacham of Baltimore still available? It would be pleasant to have something positive about my country to come into my life.

March 24, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  187. Arthur from Idaho

I would like to ask President Obama if he is going to authorize prosecution, or will he allow others to prosecute those involved in torture?

March 24, 2009 at 4:51 pm |
  188. jeff

Aks Oboma if Polosie asked the american tax payers if it was ok to buy a new jet on our money (the american tax dollar) seeing how congress told the auto makers to get rid of their jets. Do you know it costs $60,000 to fuel her jet each time she flys from cal. to wash. on the tax payers dollars!

March 24, 2009 at 4:51 pm |
  189. Elizabeth in Arizona

WHY are the "Elites" killing E-Verify??

March 24, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  190. habib wakil

This is a question on international issues...With the US engaged in Iraq, Afghanistan, and confronting Iran, trying to negotiate peace for Palestine, a newly irritated Pakistan, as well as, a number of other issues in the middle east...and these countries are largely muslim countries...why haven't you nominated any muslim advisors to you prestigious cabinet?

March 24, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  191. Rita

Hi Jack...I would ask President Obama tonight why he isn't trying to collect a wind-fall tax from the big oil companies. That money would surely help to get the economy back. Congress is so worried about these "bonuses" they are trying to get back. That is a drop in the bucket compared to what the oil companies are making. Tax them 90% on their profits and use that money to help the economy.

March 24, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  192. Jackie in Dallas

What question or questions would I ask President Obama?

1) How do you maintain your sanity and sense of humor when faced with the threat of sedition and armed violence due to the current economic situation?

2) Have you hugged your kids today? You need them to maintain your sanity and balance...and if the idiots in question one have their way, you may not get another chance.

And, Mr. President, good luck and God bless you and guard you! I trust you, I believe you, and think YES WE CAN survive and come out stronger!

March 24, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  193. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

Mr. President

Do you still like your job?

March 24, 2009 at 4:55 pm |
  194. Ralph Spyer chicago Il

What is the name your girls have chosen for their new dog?

March 24, 2009 at 4:55 pm |
  195. Dave in Illinois

I just signed up for modest Social Security retirement benefits and was informed that, even if I don't earn a dime, if my wife earns more than $32,000 this year my SS benefits will be taxable for the amount over 32K that she earns.

My question is: Is this the most despicable thing you've heard of or is it just the stupidest thing you've ever heard of? Get serious. Does the Social Security Administration really think 32K is big money for a family and they can afford to pay more taxes on this kind of income?

March 24, 2009 at 4:55 pm |
  196. dave walker,n. dartmouth,ma.

Hi Jack;I would ask,if Obama campaigned on the economy growing from the bottom up,why is he continuing to reward the upper crust that has constantly screwed us average Joes and brought our economy to its' present crisis? Cut the average American a check for $25,000 and let us spend the economy back into shape instead of the same old corporate bailout BS.

March 24, 2009 at 4:55 pm |
  197. jeff

Ask Oboma and congress to give back to the american tax payers the raise they just gave themselves and work for $1.00 for the next 4 years. Did they ask the american tax payers for their vote for a raise!

March 24, 2009 at 4:56 pm |
  198. Elizabeth in Arizona

WHY do you seem to REFUSE to give FULL PARDONS to Border Patrol Agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Campean??

March 24, 2009 at 4:56 pm |
  199. Brandon, sacramento california

Can we simple seize enough bad assets for the companies to stay afloat?

March 24, 2009 at 4:58 pm |
  200. Carlos VA

Jack, my question(s) to the newly elected Pres. is what if any are you doing with regards to the previous administration's implementation of "Bush's Law" of which has included illegal wiretapping and illegal survelliance of law abiding American citizens whose political views may have differed from the previous administration, but fell far short of any support for any terrorist organization or extremist views. These individuals have had their rights and their privacy violated in sometimes the worst ways imaginable. Will there be any justice for those individuals or have those responsible for enacting the said agenda been allowed to continue spying on innocent Americans, or even worse evade justice by slipping thru the many cracks of our flawed system of government.

March 24, 2009 at 4:58 pm |