March 24th, 2009

More optimistic about economy these days?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

With the first few days of spring, there seems to be some sparks of hope on the economic front. A new Gallup poll shows optimism about the economy is at a 20 month high. Although it's still relatively low - with only 27 percent of Americans saying the economy is getting better, and 67 percent saying it's getting worse - that's better than anything we've seen since July 2007. The groups with the biggest increase in optimism include Republicans and people making $90,000 or more.

Another silver lining the last few weeks has been the stock market. The Dow was up almost 500 points yesterday, and the S&P 500 is coming off its biggest two week gain since 1938. One investor tells Bloomberg News that a new bull market has begun, and "you have to be careful not to miss the opportunity." Another strategist calls it a "helluva rally."

There's more: Existing home sales showed an unexpected increase in February; seen by some as a sign that the real estate market may be bottoming. The average price was down more than 15 percent from the year before - but economists are hopeful the bargain hunters will start to be lured in.

If the housing market bottoms out and the Treasury plan to get credit flowing at major banks again works, we might start to see the beginning of something good. That would mean small businesses could get loans. Mortgages would become more available and maybe Americans who had been holding off will finally walk into that car dealership and plunk down a few dollars for a new ride.

Here’s my question to you: Are you feeling more optimistic about the economy these days?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Greg writes:
Jack, I'm cautiously optimistic about the economy. I believe it is just teetering and could go either way. Just a small jump in home sales and a little creep up of the market don’t mean much these days.

Steve from Vernon Hills, Illinois writes:
Sold some stuff on eBay, had a good job interview, stocks went up 500 points - all on a Monday? How could one not feel better?

Jason from Koloa, Hawaii writes:
I can tell from the massive hordes of irritating tourists in the grocery store by my house that the economy must not be as bad as the media is saying.

Melissa writes:
The stock market appears to have bottomed out and is now hovering in and around the same numbers. The housing market experienced a boom in comparison to what it was just three months ago. No massive layoffs have been announced so far this month like in the past two months. I'm feeling optimistic that we'll finally see a turnaround by the end of the year.

Jeff from Minnesota writes:
Don't get ahead of yourself, Jack. While the market is up for now, it's likely to be a yo-yo until all of the bad news and all of our dirty laundry gets aired out and companies begin reporting their lousy financial results. I think there are still some surprises out there that will catch people for at least the next year.

Anthony from Swedesboro, New Jersey writes:
I'm feeling more confident that we dodged a depression by this administration's swift and apparently successful initial strategies.

Josh from Chicago writes:
Hi Jack. I'll start feeling more optimistic about the economy when I get a job.

Filed under: Economy
  1. Jeff Crocket

After a considerably long cold winter spring will blossom and so America's pocketbooks – YES!!

JEFF in New Britain, CT

March 24, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  2. Mike - Hot Springs, Arkansas

I am perhaps more discouraged then ever. I have never observed such hatred and complete disregard for human decency as exhibited by the Republican Party. Obama is doing everything he can to get out of the mess created by the Republicans and they are so dense they do not get it nor care. I really do think that they want to follow their leader Rush and destroy the country.

March 24, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  3. Robin in Tampa, FL

Hi Jack,

I'm edgy about the current state of the Economy, but I am optimistic that we will begin digging ourselves out of this recession over the next year and a half.

March 24, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  4. Liz, Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about the economy than a few weeks ago, but it's still got a long way to go before I'll be agreeing the recession is over – we've still got a VERY long way to go!

March 24, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  5. Allen, Hartwell GA

Jack, I don't think the "Super Store" crowd has any reason yet to be more optimistic. Maybe when the "trickle down" finally reaches us there will be something left to stimulate the middle class and poor..

March 24, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  6. J Georgia

Until the debt is down to a trillion, and until the deficit has turned into surplus long enough to pay down the debt to a trillion or so, no. I'm not optimistic at all. I think that we're in for some serious inflation coupled with joblessness and no meaningful revitalizing of manufacturing because we don't have domestic fuel. We can't type on keyboards and be TV talking heads etc and ever expect wealth to be domestically created.

March 24, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  7. Matthew from Orange,CA

Optimistic? When the same Congressmen who are spitting blood, tearing hair, and shooting daggers at whatever victim sits across from their inquiry glares turn out to be the very ones who wrote or approved bills and laws that allowed this mess, how can I be optimistic?

This country is being driven like a New York Cab with a meth-addict driver and I'm in the backseat with absolutely no control of my fate. There is no optimism in my fearful eyes.

March 24, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  8. paul b from Atlanta

I recently received my extra $25 weekly unemployment benefit that was approved from the stimulus package. I am taking that extra $100 monthly and investing in the stock market and savings.

For the past 6 months, I had to stop saving money and only save my change. This extra money can be used now to kick start my new money marketing account.

Yes, I'm very optimistic of the economy. I've already made a few hundred dollars in the past 2 weeks in my IRA from the "flicker" of the stock market.

paul b from Atlanta

March 24, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  9. Katiec Pekin, IL

It's too soon to tell.
    But with the President we have leading our country we know he will
    do the very best he can.
    That's sure alot more than you can say for some politicians.

March 24, 2009 at 4:44 pm |
  10. Horn Lake, MS

My retirement has been cancelled due to the stupidity of our leaders (both parties) and I am a very disgruntled, pessimistic taxpayer watching a liberal democratic monster eat my assets "for the children." What a bunch of crap.

March 24, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  11. Richard New Hampshire

Some say the glass is half full.
    Some say the glass is half empty.
    I'm just glad to still have a glass

March 24, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  12. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Hi Jack,

finally made it! I would not ask the President any questions for now...!
    But would certainly thank him for not falling for the quick answer of others of firing people after 60 days; especially that we are getting to see some lights!

If I was not an optimistic...i would not be writing!:>)

March 24, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  13. Barbara Kurdyla

Dear President Obama:

Given the well-established advantages of a Flat Tax over our present complicated, convoluted and inefficient tax system, what are your plans to implement a Flat Tax system?

Keep up the good work!

Barbara Kurdyla

March 24, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  14. Thomas Collins

I am very worried that the Wall Street machine is winning, and the big business energy is winning, but that there will be no healthcare reform for the American people. our retirements have already been stolen, what more do they want???

March 24, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  15. Carlos VA

No Jack, I'm not feeling optimistic about the economy and what's even more sobering is things simply aren't improving if anything statistics show it's getting worse across the board.

March 24, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  16. Dennis North Carolina

March 24, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  17. Ben, NY

US economy would improve significantly if republicans stop sabotaging Obama's Administration efforts to repair Bush's failure.

March 24, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  18. Jack N

Hey Jack,
    Though we are currently struggling from an economic standpoint, why do most people look at immigrants as an added burden to our current problems. It's rather irking to hear people whose ancestors immigrated to the US deny access to this abode of piece to others. The strength of our nation is in its ability to overcome challenges, and we do need all willing participants to pitch in to improve our current conditions.
    Economic troubles are cyclicals, but as Americans we have time and again proved our mettled. We shall overcome the current crisis... just be patient!!!

March 24, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  19. Kevin Monticello FL

I will be optomistic when NAFTA is re negotiated to suit OUR needs as Americans, when banks are forced to re negotiate mortgages and payments to reflect "current value", when we stop letting the Chinese buy all of our strategic assets at basement price, and the Illegal Alien workforce is cleared out to make way for Honest, Eager American workers!!! Now that will be a great day for the Red White and Blue!!!!

March 24, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  20. Kazeem Houston, Texas

Yes I am!

March 24, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  21. Ken in NC

Jack, I would be a lot more optimistic about the economy if Congress would stop calling in the FED and Sec. of TREASURY to testify. Every time they do that and berate them the market goes down hill. Congress does not realize that their show boating is making them our worst enemy.

March 24, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  22. eric gregory

Print money and sell debt. Thats whats keeping the 'house of cards' standing. The 'law of consequence' will eventually prevail and the smoke and mirrors economy will be exposed for what it is.

Eric Gregory
    Alert Bay,B.C. Canada

March 24, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  23. moses

Not yet, until i get a better job.

March 24, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  24. Roger

China is buying more of our debt, Are they buying our financal system thus making this a false upswing?

March 24, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  25. Dicky Neely

Hi Jack,
    I am an unfettered optimist. I believe in the silver lining. Even in these dark days I see room for hope and and perhaps a chance we will enter into a period where we more realistically look at how we do things and where we don't equate materialism with happiness or success.
    Dicky Neely
    Corpus Christi, Tx.

March 24, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  26. M.Kroapfl

Yes, I am optimistic. Never give up hope.
    Bad things will always happen, but there is always a light at the end of the tunnel!

March 24, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  27. steve cooper

I am very OPTIMISTIC THAT the economy will tank, and Madoff will be let go in a few years or months for medical reasons, immigrate to Israel, and the family will keep all the cash...GREAT JUSTICE IN AMERICA AINT' IT?

March 24, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  28. Mike

Cautiously optimistic, Jack.

Mike
    Columbus Ohio

March 24, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  29. David, FL

No, as long as bankers run the gov't why should i feel optimistic?

March 24, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  30. Conrad

Jack, you need to work on the accent when talking about the economy. Like Clint Eastwood, you need to ask "Are you feeling lucky?"

Actually, I do feel optimistic, but I think all of this will take awhile. If it didn't take awhile, it would be a bubble.

March 24, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  31. Peter Maher

I am very optimistic. I trust Obama's team who in the end will look out for the common man. If the Republicans were in charge you could be sure they would figure out ways to siphon more of our money to the fat cats. Even though the process wont be easy, in the end, I believe this President will turn it around. That's really my source of optimism.

Thank you.

Peter.

March 24, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  32. Carole

Jack,
    On November 4. 2008 I began to be more optimistic for the future and my optimism is getting stronger every day.

March 24, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  33. Isabelle from Alameda CA

I must say that I'm feeling pretty good about the economy particularly the housing market. I moved to Alameda 2 years ago and with my husband we couldn't even afford a condo and we both work full time. Because we love the community, we stayed as renter but today with house prices going down and mortgages more affordable, we are able to afford a condo.
    So yes Jack, I feel pretty optimistic about the economy.

March 24, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  34. C. W. Hartmann

Ronald Reagan said in 1980 " A recession is when your neighbor loses his job. A depression is when you lose your job." I fail to see why this present situation has not been called a depression. With over 600,000 jobs being lost nationwide and people worried about losing their homes seems this economy has been mislabeled.

March 24, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  35. Ken

I'm not more optimistic if it means that people have to return to the wasteful consumerism of days past. If anything good has come from these tough economic times, it's the realization that many of us can make due with much less.

March 24, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  36. Susan - Plano, TX

Yes and most definitely.
    The general public should know that Bush sold American people to China for Irqa Invasion – all the money were sent and still going to Iraq to kill lives, while Obama's team is working so hard spending so much money domestically to save and bail out our economic structure. Wake up America, and I thank Meghan McCain for her courage to come out and bring up the notion that we should respect our President who is working so hard to strengthen up our nation fixing up the disaster from Bush administration.

Let's go out and spend few dollars to help our economic.

March 24, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  37. Sharon Hill

I'm not feeling any more optimistic. I'm losing my mother's home because I can get financing for $168,000 mortgage with no job and only $684 a month income. But also having a credit score just 40 points too low I also can't get a mortgage for a place to live of $30,000 which I can afford. No instead I would have to rent a place that I don't have the money to cover or live in my car. Guess it's a good thing I have an SUV and I'm short.

March 24, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  38. jan

We are on the right track, as President obama said, this will take a long time to handle but i believe in this administration. just sit back and enjoy the ride.

March 24, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  39. Josh from Chicago

Hi Jack-
    I'll start feeling more optimistic about the economy when I get a job.

March 24, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  40. Leonard Peeples

Yes, I see signs of consumers doing what they do best, consume and buy more stuff. One thing the ecomony has going for it, is our inability to defer gratification for very long. If they have any money they will spend it.

Leonard
    Sarasota, FL

March 24, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  41. Steve Tank

I see signs all around me that this could be a much better spring than we would have expected just a few months ago. I see people shopping, returning to restaurants – somehow it seems the media would like to keep us uptight and worried – Much of these worries were fueled by the media – not the facts. The media seem a bit more angry than the people. (Who I know, anyway).

March 24, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  42. Ed VerMeulen

NO!!!! I've been layed off for almost 2 months with not much hope of finding work. The "Stimulus Package" isn't even stimulating. There's been no money added to my unemployment, no compensation for Cobra insurance, and no new jobs. All I hear is that we have to be patient.... I don't have that luxury.

March 24, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  43. Lee Sigmond in Arizona

I'm feeling optimistic that the banking industry will fold by their own and gov't helped orchestrated demise, a new system will take it's place where people no longer have a cash system that allows them a bit of freedom and privacy, and we will turn into a country that has two classes. The rich such as politicians and their cohorts who leech off the people with their trades eg. drugs, food, and health, education. And the bottom level which are the billions of hosts for the above mentioned parasites. That's our future Economic picture. Billions of slaves for a little group of maniacs who have all the guns and wealth. Not a pretty picture, eh? People and news medias better wake up, imo. 🙂

March 24, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  44. David a Whitaker

Jack the economy hasn't effected me directly, I guest because if you don't have anything of value but my quality of life which is good. I don't have fancy thing, I am just living a normal life. One day at a time, and sometime I might go two days at a time. thaanks

David

March 24, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  45. David Furrh

Hi Jack !
    Just give me some time, a real loan modification, a 4% 40 year fixed rate mortgage, and a 100 mpg automobile and I'll be off to the races! I KNOW THESE THINGS CAN BE DONE !!!
    Dave

March 24, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  46. Jeff in Minnesota

Don't get ahead of yourself Jack. While the market is up for now, it's likely to be a yo-yo until all of the bad news and all of our dirty laundry gets aired out and companies begin reporting their lousy financial results. I think there are still some surprises out there that will catch people for at least the next year.

If people want to invest and do some good, invest in the good old US of A and buy Treasury Bills and municipal bonds. God knows we will need it if the rest of the world tells us to buy our own debt, which is highly likely as they are short on cash as well.

If you don't think that's a good idea, then buy precious metals and leave the country.

March 24, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  47. Aaron

Nope I mean yes the market is back up slightly but has anyone considered that playing the market is a legalized federal gambling. Give me a break gas is up, insurance is up, and my house worth is down. I didn't play the market but my house was my investment and I even lost there.

March 24, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  48. Kelly Bowling Green, Ky

I am! It feels so good to say it. This whole recession has been driven by fear– fear that things can't and won't stay good forever. We know this, and why we forgot this, I don't know. We've all stepped back and had to appreciate what we have and I think appreciation is the antidote to the fear.

March 24, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  49. Gabriel

Are you insane , no ,no no, until banks are Forced into line and we are sure people can get loans without A LOT down we are still screwed...As long as credit cards (which are owned by hmmm ... the banks ,they will continue screwing us with 18-24% interest ...) So no jack ..

March 24, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  50. Ryan

Jack –
    I am more optimistic. Still realistic, but definitely more optimistic than I was about a month ago. I know this is vastly over-simplified, and there are all sorts of arguable points in between, but it seems to me that the short term result of all the administration's moves appears to be good. There's no doubt that buying up bad bank debt is risky, and that we can't let the greedy idiots on all levels who caused our problems to carry on with nothing more than a slap on the wrist – BUT, if the credit market is freed up, I really feel it's good for us all – Wall St. AND Main St. included. Credit flow = capital = investments = jobs = consumption, and the cycle goes on. Only now, we're well aware of the dangers of a lack in regulation and of spending beyond our means... at least I would hope we are.

March 24, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  51. Tyler C.

I'm optimistic about the future of the American economy. However, I'm not so optimistic about the debt dolloping that's causing our dollar to slide. I think America is going to lose its global position to the fresh new United Nations "supercurrency".

March 24, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  52. Deborah

No, I'm wondering when the President is going to start listening. How do the Banks get away with holding the economy hostage? I mean really. They received Tarp money, and then proceeded to gouge all of their credit card customers with higher interest rates, and lower limits. I'm no financial genius, but I see BLACK MAIL all over this.

March 24, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  53. Amanda from St. Louis MO

With the economy speeding up rapidly these days, I'm running out of reasons to feel down about the economy. According to the economist Keynes, the way out of an economic depression is to run up a government deficit in order to restimulate the national economy. It worker for FDR in the Great Depression, and who knows? Maybe it will work for Mr. Obama now.

March 24, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  54. JoAnn C in San Diego CA

Yes, Jack I am. The reason is because we actually have a President who's really trying to turn things around. When you see people actually out there working towards change you can't be anything but a little more optomistic. My perception is that we have a president that actually listens and has a sense of humor two strategies you need to use in dark times.

March 24, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  55. Elio Giuliani in Westchester, NY

Yes I am optimistic and have been for about 2 months because approx 92% of the USA workforce IS WORKING.
    We have unemployment at about 8%; that means 92% are working but hunkering down and not buying and not spending.
    As long as we hunker down we will make it worse for ourselves because we are a consumer driven economy .
    Jack as you said, if we buy a house and a car that we wanted to buy things will get better for all of us.

March 24, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  56. Carlos VA

Jack I don't see how the economy is going to improve when you have a very strong network of individuals who are willing to fight tooth and nail when there's talk of bridging any of the tremendous gap that currently exist between the have's and the have not's. Wealthy people don't want to pay more taxes and they sure don't want poor people having access to the same if not comparable healthcare options.

March 24, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  57. d g hunt

E C O N O M Y.......
    what economy..... I feel that congress needs to ferret out those responsible for this mess. They need to analyze the limits of the problem, they need to keep the good; and tie the bad to those who had a finger in it and cut off those fingers.

M A N Y... many uninvolved people are taking it in the shorts over the actions of a FEW !

March 24, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  58. Dwayne

I do feel more optimistic about the economy because Obama is smart and could not do any worse than the last guy. Hopefully we can get back to making and selling real goods @ services rather than just paper.

March 24, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  59. holmes

Jack, those who don't still know they are living in the U.S.A should go to the moon. "YES" We will come out triumphantly. This is The United States, we have done it before and we will do it again.

March 24, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  60. alvin umphfres

The economy is bankrupt; we are officially in a depression. OK, now lets crawl out real slow, making sure we clean up the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac mess and why they were allowed to create this mess.

March 24, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  61. mary

Yes I do, I tend to know whats happening before its reported, I have noticed the shopping in my area has picked up, and family members seem to be spending a little more then they were. We are pretty confident in this President, he just gets it.

March 24, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  62. Shawn

With all the debt we are building up even if the economy does shape up this debt is going to come back and bite us in the butt and we're gonna be back in the same position we are in today

March 24, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  63. Willie From Weston, Florida

Jack,

Optimism began when Obama won the election on November 4th. Optimism is the overconsumption of hope, while pessimism is a constant reminder of it's potential hangover. In our times, this translates into folks that do and folks that try to stop people from doing. AKA. Democrats and Republicans...As for me, I am still sipping the hope!

March 24, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  64. walt Utah

Jack,

I'm definitely NOT feeling better about the economy at this time. Nothing this Administration or our inept Congress has done in the past few weeks has made me feel better, just very, very concerned for myself, my children and my grandchildren.

Walt...Sandy, Ut

March 24, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  65. Oregon Wally Las Vegas Nevada

No, when i open my credit card statement, it knocks the wind out of my sails. these companies get ALL the government's money then find it necessary to slam my interest rate up, and up. It seems they can never make enough....I make my payments then still owe more, something's got to give in this household..

March 24, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  66. RB Tenessee

Of course not. A stock market rally is not enough to turn the economy around when over 1 million employees are losing their jobs every two months. The economy will only get better when the 66%+ fraction that depends on consumer spending gets relief. Until something has been done to reverse the unemployment trends, or at least assist those employees in states with very high unemployment, nothing will be better over the long term. Many people believe the stimulus bill helped all of the unemployed; it didn't– just ask people who exhausted their benefits before the "stimulus bill".

March 24, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  67. James in TN

I'm starting to get optimistic I just was on criagslist last night looking for nice used cars and once I find one I'll start looking for jobs. It's not that I'll find one but someone said if you don't have a job, your job is looking for one.

March 24, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  68. Amanda from St. Louis MO

With the economy speeding up rapidly these days, I’m running out of reasons to feel down about the economy. According to the economist Keynes, the way out of an economic depression is to run up a government deficit in order to restimulate the national economy. It worked for FDR in the Great Depression, and who knows? Maybe it will work for Mr. Obama now.

March 24, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  69. Dawna in Michigan

Not yet. It feels like we're in a free fall here in Michigan, based on our inextricable links to the automotive industry. Given the nose dive we've taken I' confident that we're nearing bottom and the worst will, eventually, be behind us.

March 24, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  70. Steve, Clifton,VA

Hope is on the horizon again, so yes I am feeling a tad more optimistic about the economy than I did several months ago. While I understand that we, our economy, will not fully recover over night I am confident that the multiple fronts that the Obama administration is attacking the problem with both the domestic and global economy is very reassuring to me....
    Steve
    Clifton, VA

March 24, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  71. Marilyn Vargas

I'm sitting here for THREE hours trying to get through to unemployment. I've been out of work since February 13th and even though I have been advised that I will receive benefits, I have not seen a single penny. I'm trying to sell my house and have had to drop the price twice. It's been on the market since February 6th and not one single person has come to see it. It is not an expensive house, the present price is $299,900 and it is almost 2500 sq ft. and in excellent condition. I have no health insurance and I'm an insulin dependent diabetic and I've been selling off jewelry and household items, including furniture so that I can afford some of my medications. I can't afford the Cobra premium, even with the subsidy under the Recovery Act, because of my medical condition. I'm looking for a job in three states and can't find anything. When and if the house sells, I won't have a place to live and I will have to give up my two dogs, one of which is an epileptic and requires a strict medication regimen – no one will want him and he will have to be put to sleep. I'm wondering if I should just take the rest of whatever medication I have left and give up. Does this sound optimistic?

March 24, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  72. Mary Texas

When FDR was president and we were trying to pull ourselves out of the depression, there was no 24/7 News and instant information whether true or not. It's hard to tell how this will turn out. I just keep hoping this administration is more open and is honestly doing it's best . At least it is more open.

March 24, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  73. Alan

No, I'm not feeling optimistic. I'm a single person and I have been unemployed for 8 months and pretty soon I'll probably lose everything that I have worked so hard to get, house, car, everything. What few jobs that are available don't even come close to paying half of what I used to make and I didn't live an extravagant lifestyle although I lived comfortably. Employers know that they can pay bottom dollar right now because there are so many out of work people. Employers are also moving very slowly when going through the interviewing process, mostly because they really don't want to hire anyone. My house has now become a liability because I'm not going to be able to sell it for what it is worth, so when I lose it I'm also going to inherit more debt. In four months I will be completely broke and competing with high school kids for jobs at the local grocery store hoping to make $7.00 while living with my parents again at the age of 43.

Hope??? Are you kidding me, I'm just glad I'm not married and don't have kids to go through this pitiful time in my life with me.

What's going to happen to all those families with 2.2 kids, no job, a house payment, 2 car payments, and no money???? The only good thing is that I only have to worry about myself.

March 24, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  74. LUCY - ILLINOIS

Yes, I do think things are looking up. It took eight years to get into this deep hole and will take awhile to get out. Quit complaining and help out, whether it is the media or the Republicans whining. Stop playing politics. Go Obama.

March 24, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  75. Mike Syracuse, NY

No Jack, not as long as Barney Frank and his Congressional cohorts continue to bash $168 million in AIG bonuses on one hand while at the same time passing spending bills with 8500 earmarks totalling billions on the other. Do they really think they've fooled us with this 'change' BS?

March 24, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  76. Stephen Shiman

Yes, I think we are seeing the beginning of an improvement. At last we have a President willing to do what is necessary to turn things around.

March 24, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  77. walt Utah

Jack,

I will feel better about this economy when I get MY "Bailout Package" and a check for the $200K I lost in my IRA. I'm too SMALL to FAIL

Walt–Sandy, Ut

March 24, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  78. Cody in New York

Yes, yes, and yes. Obama's plans are working. The house market has hit th bottom, the credit markets will free up, and the economy will free right back up.

March 24, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  79. Jan NY

How I wish. I am a retiree. I have lost funds. My immediate income annuity is paid through AIG. My mutual funds are probably insured throught them to, along with my pensions. Who knows. There is no amount of assurance I feel right now that I am not going to be hurt even more. I really want to sell my place and relocate given that I live in a high cost area. My house is worth much less than it was 2 years ago. At least the administration is trying to do something but then again, how do we know it will work? And the Republicans, all they do is pontificate and say no. I haven't heard any kind of proposals or solutions from them. They are worthless. So optimism you ask? I don't think so.

March 24, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  80. Terry from Illinois

Not until America regulates the industries that have been de-regulated over the past 30 years !!!
    American capitolism and greed has practically ruined good paying American middle class jobs.
    Airline and truckers were de-regulated in the 80's, Electric, Gas and Phones were de-regulated in the 90's and Wall Street and mortgages were de-regulated in the 2000's. All this caused Middle Class jobs reductions in numbers, in wages, in benefits and in pensions.
    Until industries are regulated as they were in the 1970's, companies will continue to outsource middle class American jobs and continue paying executives extreme wage and bonus packages.

March 24, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  81. Bill

Jack,

i am more optimistic on the economy since we stopped "staying the course"
    i have been in bussiness for more that 50 years and have never seen conditions worse thatn now ,nor better for future opportunity.
    I can't believe that the same bs congressmen & senators that voted for eight years of destruction of the American & world economies are now complaining about a "power grab" because the present adm wants to stop the bleeding and give the patient a chance to recover.

Bill /Miami,Fl.

March 24, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  82. Kelvin in Jacksonville

Well Jack! Just how is the economy looking today? I guess it all depends on which way the wind is blowing and what side of the building you are standing on when its blowing. If you are doing your shopping on fifth avenue then I guess you are on the right side of the building but if you are like me sitting here eating my peanut butter and jelly sandwich with my glass of milk and doing my shopping at the flea markets well I guess your in the hurricane. Dont worry,be happy, there are those I know who dont even have jelly for their peanut butter!

March 24, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  83. Pat in NM

No, why should I be? We've gone from "Yes, we can!" to "Yes, we have a plan!". I need something more tangible than experimental bailout schemes and over hyped stimulus plans.

March 24, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  84. Adocann

NO! I was laid off in February. I have an advanced degree and 9+ years of experience as a technical project manager and I CAN'T GET A JOB!!!!! Seems without an H1B visa no one is even interested in talking to me anymore. Sure people making over 90K a year are optimistic. This downturn didn't touch them in any real way. Bailing out the banks and wall street is no helping me and a lot of people like me nor is it helping the economy. Unemployment is a joke because you can't live on it in spite of the little extra $25.00 ( that is why you have tent cities).

It has become painfully obvious to me that all of congresses posturing on bailouts and bonus payments is simply that. They don't care about us. The thieves at places like AIG already got theirs, and congress and the white house got their campaign contributions and bonus payments (let us not forget that Obama got 100K+ in bonus money from AIG) as well. They don't care about the homeless or soon to be homeless due to job loss, the unemployed, the elderly, or the sick. Quite frankly, it seems that as far as they are concerned anyone in the categories listed can just eat crap and die. NO- THE ONLY PEOPLE WITH OPTIMISM CONCERNING THE ECONOMY ARE THOSE BENEFITING FROM THE MISERY OF THE REST OF US.

March 24, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  85. Steve Spangler

Not optimistic at all because of the ineffective and inept solutions being promoted by the elected representatives in the Legislature. What would be wrong with letting AIG fail? The marketplace has always rewarded those firms that had strength and disciplined those that had weaknesses. When one falls, a few more spring up to fill the gap with better managerial and monetary savvy. Congress continues to show it's willingness to keep betting on the broken-legged horse to win, place or show.

March 24, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  86. brian e white

I am in englewood florida....lost my professional cabinet designing job in august 2007.....lost my house....lost my truck....almost lost my dog......been looking for work for almost 2 years now....can't even land a 10 dollar an hour job because the amount of people out of work here is triple the national average.....every time I give a resume,there are over 200 others that do the same....do I think the current administration has improved the economy....NO.....we need republican virtues without the republican pork....I respect President Obama as Commander in Chief, and I applaud his effort,but this is the time for the regular working men and women,not for the members of our society who think they are in control of this country...it is WE THE PEOPLE ...lest us forget

March 24, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  87. ricky

I'm sorry to say, NO I dont think our economy will be any better anytime soon. Former chairman of the federal reserve of manhattan, Geitner, in my opinion is still working for the fed, and along with Brenacke all of these remedies they come up with just equals more made up money and tax payers paying the interest on it. Geitner's interest is all for the big banks and bankers at the fed making more money off the american tax payers.

March 24, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  88. john christopher

Frankly, Jack, I'm pretty numbed mentally and emotionally about all this financial crap and this monstrous culture of corruption. It's all reaching biblical proportion. What was written on the head sof the beasts appearing in Revelation? AIG, Merrill Lynch, Goldman Sachs, Lehman Bros, Freddie, Fanny?

March 24, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  89. Toby Kane, Phoenix Arizona

Yes, even though I've lost a lot of $ in the stock market this past year, I'm feeling optimistic about the economy. I'm also very optimistic that the critical issues of energy, education and healthcare will finally be addressed. This is an exciting time... we're going to see much-needed change actually happen! Yeeaayy!

March 24, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  90. Derek

Optimism is relative to one's situation, but I'm hopeful. I'm a college student, so I'm always in a sort of recession, but I refuse to participate in the doom and gloom conversation that is so popular right now. Are we in a crisis of sorts? Yes. But I see things improving all around me, and I know the American people are far stronger than a recession. We thrive on a challenge.

March 24, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  91. jim killeen

Jack,It is nice to see the wall st upward motion,however it will be only a temporary revival if the govt, does not place restrictions on the greedy bankers and insurance jokers. Let us not forget the other greedy oil boys who were laughing at the local carpenter who coldnt afford gasoline to go to work,while they were boasting of their 25 billion dollar per quarter profit. Quite a mess Obahma has been left with.

March 24, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  92. Margie Jo Rovarino

I am more optimistic. I wish the media would bring out the brighter spots (yes, there are some!) instead of fixating on the bad.

We need a new car and are researching buying one now.

March 24, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  93. JERRY SOLDOTNA, ALASKA.

Yes, I am so excited about the economy I can hardly control myself. Americas & the World economies ALL calling for a Global Econonic Order which MY Bible says would be the case at the END of the Age is ALMOST HERE!! "THE CHOOSEN ONES" Non-stimulas has pushed us over the line towards the Fulfillment of Bible Prophecy concerning the ONE WORLD GOVERNMENTS BIRTH which the G20 will work on soon. Next will be a ONE WORLD RELIGION!! This is sooooooooo exciting, don't you think so Jack?? When in doubt read the instructions, THE BIBLE, for answers.

March 24, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  94. Mari, Utah

Yes! Jack, I am feeling more optimistic, I heard what you said on the Situation room as I was driving home from the store. I am old enough to have lived through deep recessions before, even the on during the 80's that caused my husband to lose his job and have to work two jobs in order to keep us housed and fed! The "down turns" can teach important lessons, one is to live within your means and SAVE! Having 6-8 months salary in savings in an emergency account will help when the next recession comes along....... and you can bet it will!

March 24, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  95. Paula

No, All companies are making their decisions to stay in business or shut down. The only thing I see is future Tax rates- If they fit the Democrats on who should be taxed and the Companies who will excape the higher Tax rates. The only thing press mentions is Companies can Apply for Loans to stay in Busness. when you are in Business, you try your Damest to get out of Debt. Just to have your expenses yearly. Not to stau under. Where do you work? Are they holding business meetings to just layoff people or planning just fulfill their contracts then go out of busness?

March 24, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  96. Dianne: Paducah

Jack, I have been very fortunate. My husband and I have been able to keep a job and I must thank "God". However, so many around us have not been so blessed. Including some in my family. Some would say it is easy to remain positive when you have a good job to help you stay afloat in these trying times. And we have tried to continue to put money back into our economy, as best we can. However it remains to be seen if the economy is getting better. So many of my friends and family are hurting. When they hurt, I hurt. Something needs to happen and fast. I am trying to remain optimistic.

March 24, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  97. Betty, San Diego, Ca.

Jack, any day that I wake up in the morning is a good reason for optimism.

March 24, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  98. Michael Manning MA.

I'm optimistic, but you had Regan Democrats in the past who helped him accomplish his goals. I'm an Obama Republican. We need to contact more people like me in the party to call and let them know they lost their way during Bush. We need to back not block these efforts if we are to have any future with middle class. I have been hurt like everyone else by deregulation and they have lost me.

March 24, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  99. Margaret Summers

No, right now I am not optimistic about economy in spite of uptick in home sales and stock market yesterday. Percentage wise, more and more of my listing appointiments are in front of homeowners that are becoming more underwater as time goes by. As a reatlor I find that I am becoming more and more unable to help sellers sell. The numbers just don't crunch. The office stats show the foreclosure market in control and will be for some time. Sellers are going to go under for at least the next year or two. There is nothing – no one – that will be able to stop it. Too much inventory – too few buyers – too long absorption time.

March 24, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  100. thomas taylor

I think things could get better faster if the Republicans would quit sqeeling like pigs caught in the fence about socialism and power grabs. The thing they hate most is someone might look over their shoulder while they are trying to put things back the way they were. no oversight.

March 24, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  101. Hugh

No and why should anyone else? Day to day all I see is finger pointing, with almost no one willing to accept responsibility for the role they played. This includes the consumer. Until they can do this the economy will only go back to the same crap that created this mess in the first place. So why should anyone be optimistic?

March 24, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  102. Layne Alleman

Jack, Sorry to burst your economic bubble, but until ALL the Wall Sreet shenanigans are exposed to the harsh light of day(I'm not holding my breath), I don't see any reason to feel all that optomistic about anything. Just keep reminding yourself of all the recent " Upturns ", and how they (conveniently) crashed. (Once again leaving a few with alot, and the rest of us with bananas in our hands) Layne A. Antioch, IL.

March 24, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  103. Barbie from Hollywood, CA

Yes, but since it didn't break down over night, we can't expect the new administration to repair it over night. There are no magicians!! We might have to try several ways to repair it before we get it right... Breaking something is always easier than figuring how best to make it whole again. PATIENCE, please...

March 24, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  104. Frank, Connellsville, PA

Right now I have the same feeling as you get a couple hours after leaving the dentist. You wonder what you will feel as the Novocain starts to wear off.

March 24, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  105. Gowri Goli

Yes ofcourse, the reason being the signals as indicated by you are showing a sign of light at the end of a tunnel. After all age old habits of consume (If some one is ready to lend) may not go over night.

March 24, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  106. RSB - St George, UT

I'll start feeling more optimistic when I stop hearing the Government talking about massive bailouts. In essence, all we are doing is shifting the air from one bubble into another. That debt is going to come due someday. I really hope I'm dead by the time the last bubble bursts. I am concerned for future generations. (Roland/St. George, UT)

March 24, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  107. Victor Bobier

I'd feel more confident If I had more money every month so I could get a mortgage and eventually to finance a newer used car, As I own a mobilehome(It's paid for already) in a rental park and I'd like to live in My own house on It's own land, But so far My attempts have been thwarted as the USDA(Rural Housing) said My income was unacceptable(I get SSI income of $907 a month from the SSA as I'm permanently disabled), So was My credit History and My lack of a Credit Score, The USDA didn't even ask about supplying an Alternate Credit History even Bank of America did that(BofA didn't care that I had a few about to expire medical bills(04/2009 & 05/2009) that were forced on Me, But I'll wait some more), The payment over 33 years would have been $43.61 more than what I pay in space rent for the house which is $215.00 a month($258.61) and this was to be on a $52,000 Mortgage which I had been preapproved for(the USDA tried to discourage Me from applying before they'd even done a credit check and then cause I'm disabled I get turned down or Denied), If this place where I live(It's in Yermo, CA) went out of Business I'd have to move and last I looked moving a mobile home more than a few times isn't a good idea and It's expensive as It cost Me around $7,000.00 to tear down, move & setup the place from Las Vegas Nevada back in 2006 when I had the money, Today It would cost more undoubtedly. And It's getting a bit cramped in here and I'm getting tired of the sonic booms the Air Force(Edwards or Nellis) makes almost everyday and the summer heat as I still don't have the A/C system hooked up(I've been told have a 3.5 ton heating and A/C system and that I should have a 2.5 ton unit instead, But It's not something I can buy or get done, So I use a swamp cooler instead and on some days It may as well not be on when It's really Humid outside). So getting a House elsewhere in a cooler area and with everything working including a mortgage seems to be a good alternative to Me. I don't have anyone to turn to as most of My relatives are dead(Mom, Dad, Siblings, Uncle, Aunt, etc) and the ones who are left can't help Me that much if at all.

March 24, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  108. Dale from Colorado

Our economy has been brain dead and on life support throughout the previous administration's two terms. Now, Obama’s team of economic surgeons is faced with the futile prospect of attempting to remove a terminal cancer of malignant greed and corruption from their patient. The patient has been morally comatose for decades as the entitlement mentality grew and spread to all of the vital organs: corporate America, Wall Street, Military Industrial Complex, and government. Unfortunately, the chemotherapy and radiation stimulus treatments have only slowed the progression of this fatal disease. Even Dr. House would recommend that we pull the plug.

March 24, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  109. marrcus mollenarro

Hi Jack:

I am feeling much more optimistic. Obama is intelligent and is doing a good. His style of leading inspires.

March 24, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  110. Mary Ellen

I am very optimistic , Jack, the Feds need to let Obama's people do their job. Every time I look up, there is a congressional hearing – let these smart people do their jobs. Who cares 'when and who knew first" – just let the adminstration to do its job.

March 24, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  111. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I feel very optimistic about the economy and always have despite all the GOP's attempt to spread gloom and doom.

March 24, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  112. NANCY M.- Colorado

It's great to see some movement in spite of all the negative stuff flooding the airways. Keep the faith, Mr. Obama you have it right!

March 24, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  113. Kenneth Holzman

I'm optimistic about the economy only because of the greed of Wall Street. It has the power and lobbyists to get what they want to rebound. My pessimism is centered on the fact that our elected representatives don't represent the American people anymore. Has anyone thought to list all of the members of Congress who accepted campaign contributions from AIG or been asked to return that money? The American people will never be fairly represented until the lobbyists influence is curtailed. The current Congress is full of self serving hypocrites.

March 24, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  114. Joe in DE

Maybe the financial crisis is settling down. I won't be optomistic about the economy until something is done to establsh FAIR trade. If we don't renegotiate the Trade Agreements, the exodus of industry and jobs will continue. New gren jobs might offset some but not enough.

Trade Agreements should require that imorts meet US Health & Safety standars and that lack of OSHA worker protection or environmental controls are penalized. Lets give US industry & workers a level playing field.

March 24, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  115. Randy B, Odenton Maryland

Jack,

I never lost my optimism, the fundamentals of the American economy is sound – where have I heard this before? When the media decides to stop the negative reporting and attempt to instill confidence in the American financial systems then the people will relax their deer in the headlight look and open their wallets. Hopefully the rich media feel they have driven the stock prices down far enough to buy and create investor confidence.

March 24, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  116. ben stockton, calif

ive been optomistic ever since obama was elected. i see signs of him turning things around .. we will always have the doomsayer republicans saying the sky is falling the stock market is up,,homes are being sold ,, but still we cant throw caution to the wind and business as usual with americas crazy spending ..teach your children the value of saving, and of course they dont need every electronic gadget that is constantly advertised..im a senior and i try to live comfortable with what i have.. lets wait this out and with obama in charge im sure things will get better BEN FROM STOCKTON,CALIF

March 24, 2009 at 5:42 pm |
  117. garrick

hi jack
    yes yes yes as long as the GOP has no ideas thats the best bailout i can have about the economy,im glad they have become the NO party that means Obama has good ideas because they have the same ones but dont want to admit it.
    clearwater,fl

March 24, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  118. Debra from Grass Valley, CA

I've been in business for over 30 years and I've never seen it this bad. Our manufacturing business echos now due to a lack of employees that we had to let go. Some had been with me over 20 years. We don't have a pot to pee in these days. Healthcare costs are skyrocketing while our savings and retirement have vanished.

I contributed to Obama's campaign and I have faith in him. Obama is the ultimate janitor and that is a compliment, Jack, but enough is enough!

March 24, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  119. John Kelley

I am more optimistic now that the Democratic party and Barack Obama are in charge. I don' t have the sense of perpetual pain, or be painful attacked by the cacaphony of noise the sanctimonious comments from the right wing of the Republican party. I only hear the rantings of a defeated party. Now I know what Thomas Jefferson must have thought as he watched the Federalist party fall into oblivion.
    I see a President doing everything he can to get us out of the mess Bush and his cronies got us into. So I am optimistic for the future.

March 24, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  120. Tommy in Abilene Tx.

How can I be very optimistic when Republicans( like my Gov. Rick Perry) keep dissing everything Pres. Obama is trying to do for our beleagured nation?These ambitious pols will do- and say -anything over the next four years to make sure our elected president fails-even if it means the American peoples' suffering is prolonged.

March 24, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  121. Terence

Eight percent of americans still have no jobs! How can that make them go buy homes and cars. We are still in a recession and still have a ways to go before its time to buy again.
    Terence,Piscataway,NJ

March 24, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  122. ANDRES SAENZ(Albuquerque, NM)

Yes, I do feel slightly optimistic about the economy. With the national unemployment rate at 8.1%, we are not out of the woods yet. We haven't seen the end of this economic crisis yet, but I believe that things are getting better because the DJIA is steadily going up. I just hope that I will find a good job after I graduate in May with my bachelor's in mechanical engineering.

March 24, 2009 at 5:46 pm |
  123. Jean Ann

I think it is too early to make optimism the watchword of the day. The deficit that this President, his administration and the Congress have placed on our shoulders is a burden that will postpone my retirement and weigh down my children and possibly their children. That ain't optimism....that's downright depressing.

Jean from Connecticut

March 24, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  124. Ralph Spyer chicago Il

what are you nuts? People houses are worth less then what they owe on it. The American auto industry is going under. We have 50% of my construction union is out of work 'The banks don"t even know how many loans are good on their books and what they are worth. The states are all bankrupt and China is our landlord

March 24, 2009 at 5:48 pm |
  125. Bruce

No. We are doing exactly the opposite that we should for the economy. The wheels have come off the economic gravy train, and only the heavily medicated mainstream media sheeple can't see it. Sell all paper investments and buy bulk food while you can!! It is the end of the world as you know it.

March 24, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  126. Janette K.

It's certainly encouraging to see the stock market rise, albeit very little in comparison to its many days of fall, but wouldn't it have been wiser for the government to divide a trillion dollars amongst its citizens? Today I read there are 306 M citizens (that probably includes children as well as tax payers) and that a trillion dollars split amongst this populace would amount to $3200 per. Even if that were only per household, think of how much good could have been done...people would be spending more on goods (creating the need for employees), on vehicles (reversing the slump in car sales), on purchasing homes and – more importantly – KEEPING their homes, buying stocks, and socking some away in savings (so banks would have more money to lend). Wouldn't this have helped more in ending the horrible state of our economy rather than what they've done thus far?

March 24, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  127. John in Memphis

Yes, I'm a bit optimistic. But alas I work in the newspaper industry.
    C'mon people, please support your local papers. Your local newspaper keeps you informed more than you might think. Think of your local government, on how the papers try to keep them in line.
    This is just one example. Keep the paper alive!

March 24, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  128. Janette K. from Fond du Lac, WI

To add my location to my comment.

March 24, 2009 at 5:52 pm |
  129. Kim

No, as long as they don't fix the financial industry that caused this mess there's nothing to optimist about.

March 24, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  130. Kim

How optimistic are you when you use the term "lured in", sounds like a fisherman getting a big catfish!!

March 24, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  131. Michelena Brehm

I did not vote for President Obama and in my opinion he doesn't know what he is doing. I am not optimistic about the economy. It is very difficult to have faith in someone who is working harder at being a super star than a president. His priority is to make this country Socialistic!! If a person is worth a huge bonus they should get it after all we are still a Capitalist country. Also members of government don't have to worry they are cared for even after they leave their positions

March 24, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  132. CAA Dover, NH

Not yet. I'd be more interested in who is doing the buying now rather than how much is being bought. The only person I know who's buying homes is an acquaintance who is an invester looking for income rental property, not personal housing. No single families, or individuals who want homes, that I know of can get the financing. If it's mostly investors buying, than it's not an upswing: it's the rich having resources the rest of us don't.

March 24, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  133. JIM FALLBROOK CA

I won't be optimistic about the economy until Obama is voted out of office in 2012. Obama and his staff don;t know what they are doing. They will bankrupt the country. He is trying to make this a socialist country. He will wind up being the 2nd worse presidnet in history after Jimmy Carter

March 24, 2009 at 6:42 pm |
  134. jim husband from kissimmee, florida

"More Optimistic" ? You have to be kidding!!!!! The economy is getting worse, and with the unemployment imploding, we are now in double digits. The construction industry has hundreds of thousands of self-employed workers either not working or maybe one day a week. And they cannot collect unemployment compensation. Under-employed is at it's worse!!! The only that this economy will improve is to put people back to work.

March 24, 2009 at 6:54 pm |