March 13th, 2009

Whom do you trust on economy?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

There's a big philosophical divide when it comes to whom Americans trust to right our economic ship.

Economy: Who do you trust?

A new Gallup poll shows 64 percent of Republicans say they place more trust in businesses while 72 percent of Democrats say they trust the government more to fix the nation's economic problems. Independents are pretty much split down the middle.

In another question, Gallup asks whether the government is doing too much - or not enough - to solve the country's problems. A whopping 84 percent of Republicans say the government is doing too much compared to 22 percent of Democrats. Also, 69 percent of Republicans say the government has too much power compared to 32 percent of Democrats.

This huge partisan divide when it comes to how Americans view the role of government comes at a time when the new administration is taking massive action to try to solve the banking and housing crises, the credit crisis, rising unemployment and on and on.

So far President Barack Obama continues to receive strong backing from the public; although some of his economic plans are not as popular as he is. On the other hand, Wall Street has been less than pleased with many of the administration's moves to rescue the economy.

Here’s my question to you: When it comes to the economy, whom do you trust?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Terrell from Escondido writes:
I certainly do not trust any Republican. Had we not spent hundreds of billions of dollars in Iraq, the economy would be just fine. This was bin Laden's stated plan: bankrupt America. And it is working.

F. from Tennessee writes:
Our president. I believe he speaks the truth. Good or bad, he tells it like it is, and that I believe in. Too many years of lies, too many years of being betrayed.

Beverly from Virginia writes:
Jack, I'm gonna have to go with Obama and his geeks. The amnesic "borrow and earmark" Republicans are being born again and are going back to their trickle down and freeze spending policies. Their policies have been tried and look where we are! Let's let the geeks and the rocket scientists have a chance at fixing these complex problems.

Ron from Oklahoma writes:
Who do I trust on the economy? Simple. Nobody. The actions of the president, Congress, businesses, banks, etc. have destroyed all trust. That will have to be earned. Let's all hope that they are capable of earning that trust back again. If not, we are all in for a VERY rough ride.

Jim writes:
Jack, I don't trust any of them right now. The Democrats least of all. Obama and the Democrats in both houses are going to bankrupt your great country. The Republicans are letting them do it with barely a whimper.

Ted writes:
The only person I've come to trust – relative to my well-being and that of this country's – is Barack Obama. I don't feel he's a "politician" out for his own personal gain. The rest of them, you can toss them for all I care. They come across as just as greedy and needy as these "expletive" corporate moguls who could give a damn about the working class of this nation.

Kassie from Pleasanton, California writes:
I trust my mattress, Jack. I would've been better off if I'd hidden my money underneath my mattress rather than investing it in so-called "safe" investments.

Filed under: Economy
  1. Pody Joston

YES!!! Jack Cafferty is correct... the government should have a RULE like ROSS Perot said... ONE TERM... this would NOT allow any congress or senator to become to strong memer and reduces his chances to loot... steal... from the citizens.

March 13, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  2. David, Tampa, Fl

Jack,
    I dumped almost all of my stock over the last 10 years because of the lunatics ruining American business by their greed, and thus rushing this country headlong into the current mess. I trust political leadership not one whit and business types even less. To me they are rotten apples from the same tree. Democrats may be bad but Republicans are even worse. I have no faith in, trust in, or respect for any of these clowns.

March 13, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  3. DON, MICHIGAN

No, no, no. That seems to be the Republican's mantra nowadays. They will oppose any common sense thing that Obama does or proposes.

Yes, yes, yes. That was their mantra during the Bush let's-all-get-rich and the heck with the common people days.

I've never seen such sore losers, Jack, so let's vote the rest of them out and be done with them. It's time for another party. The Independents? The green party? The Mickey Mouse club? Anything!

March 13, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  4. Jerry Harris

Myself, put all my money in a fixed rate of return when I retired three years ago, damn glad I did now. Better to be drawing 4.6% interest than watching lyou money fly away.

March 13, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  5. Jerry Harris

Myself, put all my money in a fixed rate of return when I retired three years ago, damn glad I did now. Better to be drawing 4.6% interest than watching your money fly away.

March 13, 2009 at 5:48 pm |
  6. Mark in Savannah

I trust John Stewart and President Obama far more than the touts at CNBC and the other business channels...

March 13, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  7. Laurel

I trust Ayn Rand.

March 13, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  8. Sandy Michigan

Jack.
    The President,

Wall Street, Banks, Insurance, Business Association, and the biggest offenders are the REPUBLICAN PARTY they got us into this mess. The Economist that knew this was going on before it blew up should have stepped up than, now they criticize the current President saying its his fault, not bad for being in office for 7wks.

March 13, 2009 at 5:53 pm |
  9. Allen in Hartwell GA

Trust? What has that to do with anything? I trust businesses to do exactly what they do well – make as much money as they can.
    It's hard to trust the government to do anything anymore after the last few years, but at least we have the threat of voting them out of office if they don't do their jobs – which in this case is to promote the general welfare.

March 13, 2009 at 5:55 pm |
  10. Carol

No one has shown they can be trusted.

Carol, MN

March 13, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  11. Jerome, Montana

Jon Stewart, who else? At least he asks the questions that should be asked. He is a real journalist, all you corporate hacks out their acting like news people better beware.

March 13, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  12. Christin

It's really simple......two words....GOD & OBAMA.......

March 13, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  13. Garrett

If you are the country's best neural surgeon, and my child has an head injury, you have my attention. If you are the country’s best economist, and the country has been Bush-whacked, you have my attention.

March 13, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  14. J.D. from Texas

Jack,I trust the Government.I voted for Obama to have change.I have found however,that our Republican Governors are bucking the change of the stimulus,by turning down some of the stimulus money.Long story short?Americans voted and won change,but lost,because our Governors won't allow the change.

March 13, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  15. RSB

In God I Trust.

(Roland/St. George, UT)

March 13, 2009 at 6:01 pm |
  16. Vicente V.

I trust "None Of The Above", Jack. Trusting the government to protect the American people is like giving your money to Bernie Madoff. Gone in a New York second. Who do we trust? The people that we should trust are on the payroll of Big Business lobbying congress to pass laws to help Big Business, Or their scamming people themselves with PHONEY Investment Companies.
    Vicente Houston,TX

March 13, 2009 at 6:01 pm |
  17. Pugas-AZ

Trust. That's a subjective term. It is difficut to trust any of the politicans. Most of them are making it up as they go along. That is, reacting to pressure placed upon them by their party's leadership and the numerous lobbying organizations that blight Washington. When will free thinking be rewarded?

March 13, 2009 at 6:02 pm |
  18. june burt

I trust our President and the new administration to handle the economic crisis. I am sure they have been met with surprises as they learned how bad off our country really WAS on January 20th however I believe he has a great team in place and trust in our nation will be replinished by Americans and our neighbors.

March 13, 2009 at 6:03 pm |
  19. Bruce

I trust Ron Paul, Peter Shiff, Bob Chapman, Lou Dobbs, and futurist Gerald Celente.

March 13, 2009 at 6:04 pm |
  20. Terry from Illinois

Jack,
    This is a cream puff question, Republicans practically turned America into a consumer nation. Changing tax codes, deregulation and incentives for companies and the rich which resulted in sending good paying jobs out of the country.
    Global Economy has brought down wages for American workers thanks to Republican policies. Manufacturing Jobs usually paid good wages yet America doesn't manufacture many things here anymore due to outsourcing.
    Republicans wanted to outsource Air Force One to France AirBus, wanted to sell the security of America's ports to the Arab's, and worse of all China owns Americas debt. America has went to hell in the last 8 years of Republican policies
    I don't trust politicians but Republicans are worse than Democrats when it comes to helping middle class American workers !

March 13, 2009 at 6:07 pm |
  21. John Crowley

I don’t care what Wall Street wants, they and the banks cause this problem, and it’s going to take some reigning them in by governmental re-regulating of the banking and financial sector, I’m not talking about nationalization either. I’m just saying these guys have to be carefully scrutinized. So right now, I trust Obama. Not Republicans

March 13, 2009 at 6:08 pm |
  22. D. Bundi

I trust that nobody has the answers. Anybody trying hard enough with relevant solutions has my support.

March 13, 2009 at 6:09 pm |
  23. Russ in PA

I trust Ron Paul. The others can't hardly spell the word "economy".

March 13, 2009 at 6:09 pm |
  24. Jorge

North Carolina

I believe Republicans have it all wrong, unregulated businesses are the reason we are in this mess if it were up to me I'd have the government nationalize some of these troubled banks it would save us time and money, and while we are at it just let these other companies whom have got themselves in trouble tank surely they will learn their lessons on gambling and taking chances.

March 13, 2009 at 6:09 pm |
  25. Olu

Thats simple Jack .... Barack Obama

March 13, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  26. Raj

I don’t trust anybody because it is not in the hands of a leader, nobody can do businesses without a profitability and nobody works to develop the bussinesses without a bonus package. Also when there is consistent increase in the speding on lifestyle and technology, there will defintely be a downturn. All i trust is working hard and updating with the technology, so that you don’t loose the job and even if you loose one the second one would be waiting for you to sign on.

Pittsburgh, PA.

March 13, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  27. David

Trust? I trust wall street to do exactly what they feel is best... for them, and the government to do what they think we want to hear.... I just wish I trusted that someone knew what they were doing.

March 13, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  28. Tanner, San Diego

Certainly not the Republicans and Obama needs to stop being conciliatory to them. Republicans, by definition take and take and take and give nothing meaningful in return. It's time to run roughshod over them because that is exactly what they would be doing if the American people hadn't given the dems a decisive mandate. We've trusted unchecked business for long enough. Repeating the same mistakes and expecting a different result is afterall, the definition of insanity!

29. armando

I believe in God, and the spirit of the american people to take no more lies and demand results, that is another thing i trust, RESULTS.

30. Paul San Antonio, TX

Me, Myself, and I.

I voted Obama because I wanted change, and so far I am more or less happy with what he has come up with, but until it yields positive returns, let's just say you won't see me do anything truly risky.

31. Allen in Hartwell GA

Republicans gave Bush almost absolute power, yet they say that the government (under Obama) has too much power!!! God help us.
    If the government is Republican I trust no one. If the government is Democrat I will take my chances with them.

32. Ed'sKate

At this point, Jack, I truly believe the President and his economic team have the best interest of the country at heart but the obstructionists in the Congress and the States are causing so much havoc I wonder if we are really living in the United States of America.
    I can't believe the goings on in Congress and the actions of some of the Governors. It is unbelievable to think that anyone would put their own ideology ahead of the good of the people. All I can say is we better look for a drastic change in the election of 2010. We need to get rid of the egotistic Republicans who won't help the people of this country because they can't get over the fact they lost the past election.

33. Wendy in NC

Jack, I trust Jon Stewart. After watching his show last night I lost all confidence in "business".

34. Ann in Asheville, NC

Government, esp Pres Obama and team! Business is for profit - not for the consumer, not for the health of the planet, not for the workers or wealth of the nation. Just that simple.

35. Kenneth in Texas

Jack, the only thing I trust is the mattress that holds my money right now, nothing is certain right now, seems like we're rolling downhill looking for a branch to grab on to. Maybe a good investment would be biometric implant manufacturers?

36. sandy

President Obama thats who I trust. I listened closely to his meeting with business leaders and others. It is so wonderful to have a President who has a brain, knows what he is talking about, and is working not just playing at being President.

37. Anita MS

I trust the Government, Democratics, and President Obama! The American people know Jack that when it comes to fixing this economy, especially behind a Republican the Democratics have the upper hand. Republican want to cut taxes and spend less and that's how we got in this deficit. Clinton left a surplus and by God President Obama will do the same after his second term. Wall Street rallied 4 days in a row and I see hope that this economy will be turned back around. Give our President and leader of this great nation a chance to turn us back around. Yes we can and yes he can and yes we will! Obama/Biden 2008 and 2012

38. Donna-Lane NELSON

I don't trust any of them, but I have the least lack of trust in Obama.

I just wish he didn't select the retreads, but the Republicans and their no regulation policies, brought us to this point. I don't understand how they dare say anything. Sorta like a murderer giving advice on how to reduce the murderer rate.

39. irene oklahoma

obama not the republicains

40. Suzanne

I trust the President, I feel he has the American people at heart. I do beleive we will see a dramatic turn around sooner than we think...

41. miguel gonzales

In GOD we trust

42. Patrick Robertson

Jack, I think the only thing a trust anymore is time. America is strong we will fight out f this.

43. Claire, Melbourne, FL

I trust the Government under the Democrats- the Republicans and their business cohorts have raped and pillaged our economy to the extent that we are almost over the cliff. They have no credibility with me after the damage they've done.

They'll only be happy when we average middle class Americans work for nothing and big business gets it all.

Their greed is disgusting!

44. Ron Minnesota

i trust President Obama will fix the mess that Bush left the country in. it will take some time to do the job. i really doubt McCain would do any better if he was President

45. Joseph Bethea

I trust Obama! Thats is why we voted for him. To make intelligent thought out decisions about the economy and the security of this nation. Republicans often have no ideas on how to fix anything. They know only two words. "Tax Cuts"

46. Anthony Palazzo

Hey Jack
    What Free Market? You mean the one where Wall Street makes billions and then gets bailed out at the expense of the American people? Corporations will always do what is best for Management and Shareholders. At least the government is supposed to do whats best for the citizens.
    Anthony Palazzo

47. joe johns

I work for a large telecommunications company that despite making over 12 billion in profits wants to lower my pay and strip my retiree benefits, who do i trust that is an easy one I trust big business to screw us everytime.

48. Noreen

I trust Barack Obama more than anyone else in Washington. The republicans are just getting in his way.

49. Barbara J. Harris

I trust the government. I most certainly don't trust the banking or financial industries. It seems to me one would have to be clueless to trust them or the "free market" they've undermined and maipulated.

50. Kassie from Pleasanton, CA

I trust my mattress Jack... I would've been better off if I'd hidden my money underneath my mattress rather than investing it in so called "safe" investments.

51. KIenneth G. Martin

Hi,

Should we trust the people that gave us Enron, Bernie Madoff, AIG and the super shape the banks and stock marker are in. I vote for Obama.

Ken Martin
    Surprise AZ

52. Vince

I don't particularly trust either, but I wasw able to vote for Obama, but I did not get to vote for any of the plutocrats on Wall Street.

Vince in Atlanta.

53. Grace

Our current government with the help of God and drive of the American people to work hard.

March 13, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  54. ivan (virgin islands)

We trust you Jack we all know you can get the economy back on track.

55. Paula

Jack,
    I trust myself. No party is going to take my concerns into consideration, they are just out to build their own party. I'm a true independent, trusting only what I believe to be better for my family and our country.
    Remember, In God We Trust is our Nations motto, not the Dems or Republicans.

56. Sandra

Jack, the republicans are the main reason why this country has gone down the toilet. If we had flushed their way of running the country 8 years ago we would not be in this mess and yet they continue sit back and criticize abouth the way things are going now. Do they realize that they started this mess. I trust the Democrats. They are concerned about the peple and this country.

57. Joanne Bishop

first I trust my mattress, next I trust my wallet. That's about it.

Joanne Sacramento

58. LARRY

C'mon Jack, if business could stimulate the economy for its own health it would have done so. GM can't sell cars, our malls our empty and the airlines are charging for bathroom use. What do the republicans not understand?
    Government has got to stimulate the economy. If we wait on the Bank of America's and AIG's to pull them up by their own bootstraps the recovery will be some time AFTER the second coming. Good grief.

Larry
    Florida

59. MC McCall

I trust the smartest, most compassionate, and most responsible person in the government: Barack Obama. Where he leads, I'm comfortable following.

60. Ken in NC

Jack,
    I trust the likes of and hold on to economist like Lincoln, Grant, Washington, Hamilton and others. Their advice is becoming more and more scarce but I cling to their advice every chance I get. I have to do it now. For our country it is “Now Or Never”, including SC Gov. Mark Sanford.

61. Sherrol in Canada

Myself Jack.......It is I that have to control my personal spending, my saving and my borrowing.

62. Scott, Scottsdale AZ

Jack, I trust President Obama. After all, he's the first president in recent memory that has taken office and immediately started acting on his promises. If republicans would stop attempts to undermine him at every turn he might actually succeed too! It's unfortunate that republicans prefer to stand on worn out dogma than actually doing something to help their constituents. Like another viewer from AZ, I plan to vote agains McCain and Kyle at the earliest opportunity.

63. Josh Hall from Utah

The American people Jack! The economy will improve like it always does, and then President Obama will take credit for it on his re-election. Meanwhile, he and his Democrats will continue to pack our "Stimulus" packages with their liberal ideals.

64. Markus

Neither of them. The problem is not just the parties but the system itself – capitalism. Both parties strongly believe in free-market capitalist garbage, there is very little difference other than one believes in more regulations than the other. People seem to forget that capitalism is a system that depends upon crises. It's time that people organize and seek alternative forms like participatory and/or gift economies.

65. Nick D. Neighbour

The Government. Especially in such CRUCIAL Services as Health Care, which should NEVER be run as a "For Profit" "Business"!
    In THEORY Anyway, when the Government runs things, the BENEFACTORS are SUPPOSED to be the PEOPLE!
    NICK N.
    Pasadena CA.

66. dana lewis

jack, with the past history of politicians and the business community i trust neither. hence my vote for obama! with his revolutionary changes and the call for transparency i think i see light at the end of the tunnel. only now is there the opportunity to stop the greed that resulted on both ends. i trust pres barack and michelle obama to be the true hero and herione of the 21st century.

67. steve d

i don't know who to trust in politics, what i do know is that we have a democratic president who is young and well educated working almost tirelessly to fix america while republican gluttons are doing everything they can to slow him down. nothing gets unless we're all working together.

68. Jerry Duke

Looking at our present economic crisis, and knowing less government regulation was a major cause, I'm trusting the Obama administration.

69. Kathi Cooper

I trust the government more than business. Think of it this way, 'If greed is good, then Bernie Madoff is a rightous man.' I'll take the government where 6 people watch every pot at any given time.

70. Jack Adkins

Jack:

WHOM do I trust, you ask...I don't know, frankly...just so long as they are NOT a banker or a broker.

71. Yurdelite

It sure isn't the lying, two faced republicans who got us into this gigantic mess of two wars and a collapsing global economy. I trust the man I voted for and will vote for again–Barack H. Obama.

72. Jo Shua, Massachusetts

Who do I trust with the economy Jack? Let's see... Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Bill Maher... you know, people who aren't conservative and aren't complete idiots. Its getting tough to find that combination in anything but political comedians.

73. Dorothea Clymer

I trust myself; I trust the American people. We are good problem solvers. I think the failed economy is the result of an intire industry (Wall Street) of Ponzie schemers and gambling addicts. Those of us who are not schemers and addicts will buy what we need to buy and what we can afford to buy; forego luxuries until such time as we can afford them; pay off our credit card debt and use cash in the future; and save whatever we can. As a retired couple, my husband and I saw our investments tank. We're sitting in a home we cannot sell. We're supposed to let the same schemers lose what's left of our future? Madoff aint the only guy that should go to jail.

74. Beau in Fredericksburg Virginia

Instead of trusting the ones who got us in to this mess, I would trust the ones who predicted that it would come such as the Austrian economists, Gerald Celente, Peter Schiff, and Congressman Ron Paul from Texas.

75. Robert N- Fayetteville NC

The Republicans, The Republicans, The Republicans. They are the people the will fix the economy with smart solutions and not just by speending money

76. Ken

I trust whoever knows the difference between "who" and "whom," which at the moment seems to be the government and the media, not business folk, who don't know the differensce between "As far as (somehing) is concerned." and "As for...."
    Ken
    Japan

77. gary, des plaines, il

i think business COULD fix the economy...if they were made to. left to their own devices,well, we see what happened. now they are, like the republicans, holding their breath and stomping their feet like spoiled children and dems try to placate them like ineffectual parents...more bailout money dear? do what you want with it just stop crying...pleeeeeze.

March 13, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  78. Betty, San Diego, Ca.

Big business and Wall Street has about as much credibility as the last Republican administration. They are one in the same and you can see the final results. I have placed my trust in the current administration to get us out of this economic mess.

79. Ethmane

I think, it is obvious that the majority of Americans trust president Obama and his administration, and that why the elected him and i could assure you that the trust is golbaly from Africa to Latin America....

80. Matt in Plymouth

Jack,

The sad thing is that we have to ask who we trust. It should be the government, but they have grossly mismanaged the economy over the past 100 years by thinking they can manage it. I trust the businesses who rely on it to succeed and survive, and I trust myself. You can't trust the people who are 11 trillion over budget to do much of anything right.

Matt,

Plymouth, MN

81. S. D. from Japan

Only GOD...And that is printed on our money, "In God We Trust" The rest of the world should also start believing in Him also.

82. arthur mcgee

I would trust the American people before I would trust the current administration. If the american people can control their spending habits, why can't the government.

83. Tom

I trusted business until we were 'Bush Wacked' by The Wall Street Gang!

84. peniel

busseness got its fair share for the last 8 years so its th goverments turn now

85. Greg Knapp

Myself, and nobody else.

Greg Knapp

86. Heidi from Myrtle Beach

I trust Obama's Administration. They're smart, adapt to changes in the economy as needed, they're juggling all the balls at once as this economy demands, give them TIME for gosh sake. Republicans are so out of touch they might as well be Aliens from Outer Space. Have they never read a history book about the Depression and how the Government has to become the Demand to increase the Supply until it can take care of itself again?

87. Jerry

My trust with the economy is with Obama and those that support him. The NO Party needs to cease existing. Those persons that do not help resolve the problem are in fact the problem!!!! The "No Party" or better known as the "LIMBAUGHT"! Party should be blown apart at its seams and relabled as the past party members being non americans. Cafferty reported earlier that Wall Street did not like Obams's packages but seems to me that this week showed that Wall Street CERTAINLY DID!!! Cnn needs to stop pushing the republican garbage talking points and report in support of america and our new president

88. Jeff Spencer

Jack,
    I trust the college educated idiots at wall street to fix this economy as much as I trust the college educated idiots that are voted into our government. I don't! These people couldn't run a household budget of 50000 a year much less the millions or billions of dollars the are charged with. What needs to happen is normal real people need to be in place. People that really no how to manage money.

89. Abbie Herrick

Business aren't the community leaders that the Republicans feel they are. Just find a business that isn't a part of a larger company and takes its orders from a home office far away.

Politicians are people we elected. We know where they come from. The home office is in Washington (not Beiging), andwe can still write, call and e-mail them about issues that are important to us.

Manchester
    New Hampshire

90. Raffi

I don't trust anyone who has been reporting on the markets over the past 10 years, courting the CEO's as they lie and encourage "losers" to put their money into the market.

I trust Jon Stewart. He seems to be the only one asking reporters to actually report. Virtually all news media owes the public a huge apology for letting us down. More than apology, they should promise to change their ways.

It is beyond sad that I would choose the sarcasm of a comedy show over the "experts" of news media.

91. Freda Hall

Galesburg, Ill. At this point I would have to say government intervention was the only thing to do. Certain businesses is what started a lot of this mess anyway. More direct government regulation is needed to keep the greedy amoung them in check. Everyone needs rules whether they like them or not. The more they are allowed to get away with the more they will do no matter who is hurt. Just look at your own news is that not proof enough?

92. Audrey Brodt

You're joking Jack! It doesn't really matter which one I trust more – business or government. The truth is we should trust neither. Things will get better only if all of us citizens do our job – which is to pay attention and demand transparency and integrity. I'm such a Polyannna.

93. Stephanie

I trust that President Obama and his team will do as much as any group of leaders can do. I trust the American people to survive the downturn as we always have and come back stronger than before, with more real production (as opposed to artificially inflated values) than we've enjoyed for a long time. I trust the naysayers to continue in their negative perspective, even into prosperity. And I trust that we of the older generation are going to be very pleasantly surprised at the new world evolving.

Stephanie P

94. Ken in NC

In GOD I trust. All others must pay cash or debit or trade.

95. J. greene

I trust only the first term members of congress. They are new to the concept and have not been bought. I give them a year and they will join the rank of crooks. I trust in GOD!

96. Mary fom CA

The Government. The Government is for the people, by the people. This country was founded with the installment of a Government, not Free Enterprise. Let the Repbulicans pay down the Debt, they have all the money. This country should be ran by the people, not just the successful people.

97. David in Tampa

Trust is how we got in this mess! Right now, no one.

98. Ray Victory

Vero Beach, FL
    The "WHOM" I trust on the economy is President of the United States. Republicans, Wall St. types, bankers, CED's and most economists have proven themselves very wrong at least for a decade. He may be inexperienced, he may be trying things that have never been done before but he is clearly the most intelligent and honest guy in a town not known for either quality. Yup, I trust him.

99. Peggy Moore

Peg in Tennessee,
    I believe Obama is the best chance we have. If you look at his history, he is certainly adept at conquering the odds and he is smart. If he cannot get us out of this, I don't think anyone can! (which in definitly not a prevailing oppinion in Tennessee.)

100. Carlos Averhart

I trust Pres.Obama.C'mon America it's only been 50+ days and he's already passed a much needed stimulus package,reversed a stupid ban on embryonic stem cells,and is decent enough to acknowledge middle class Americans as the backbone of this country (not the rich).He's working very hard to regain our trust,have faith

101. David Berg

Whom do I trust more with the economy? Certainly not business...they got us into this mess! At this point President Obama hasn't done anything to make me not trust him, so I still put all of my faith in what he is trying to do and I'm willing to give him some time to turn around what has taken us 8 years (or really 30 years) to get into!

102. Carolyn Albany NY

John Stewart...I think he is the only one I trust now

103. H J D

Both business and government have a role to play just as they did in recovering from recessions in the past. In this particular recession the government must take the lead.

104. Bob

I trust Warren Buffett, Thomas Friedman, and Jon Stewart.

Short list, isn't it?

105. Annie, Atlanta

Not Wall Street – whose mantra is We Got Ours and Screw You. Certainly not my Republican Representation in Congress who aided and abetted Wall Street. That leaves our new President, who has not been around long enough to actually judge, except on his choice of spouse. Enough said.

106. JW

Business had the chance to self regulate when they were able to lobby and obtain their wildest wishes under the bush admin and republican congress. I find it interesting that all of a sudden they don't trust the government to help. The only reason government exists is to provide necessary checks and balances for the common wealth. 8 years of self distruction and we expect to have everything fixed in 100 days?

March 13, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  107. Jim Pook

Jack:

What you need in the USA is a true Conservative leader of the Republican party. We have one in Canada, but he is forced by the Liberals to lead from the center due to his minority government position.

My prediction is that Obama is going to be a one term failed presidency. So sad, there was so much hope there.

March 13, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  108. george

ah yes once again the elusion of choice kinde of like the republicans and the democrats being two differant party's......yah sure.
    anyway to answer your qustion jack i have to side with the gov. on this one no one on wall street including the dirt bag bernie madoff never had to run for realection.......if things dont start to turn around the next election we will be playing rost an encumbant.
    i place a lot of blame on gov. for the lack of oversite on wall st.
    either way next time around in the voting booth we will all be yanking things to make the bad people who put us in this mess just go away.
    wall street or no wall street
    george
    chester,ct.

March 13, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  109. Quincy. Coeur d'Alene,ID.

I trust our President, in trying to correct the plundering of the American people, @ the hands of the Republicans. Let's hope the Republican party dies out soon.

March 13, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  110. Maribel

Are you kidding???The Republicans trashed the economy and they continue to try to finish it off by opposing this government at every turn!!I am tired of all the BS from the Republicans.WE the people have spoken and WE the people want the REPUBLICANS to cease and desist !!! We gave our confidence to Barrack Obama ....I trust this man!!! IF the Republicans continue their destructive critiscisms I will NEVER SUPPORT THE REPUBLICAN PARTY EVERY AGAIN!!!!!

March 13, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  111. Anna

I do not trust anybody. Our government fortat that they should protect people and our business just want to make things for less and sell for more your basic greed. I just like to know who will buy the crap that they are selling.

March 13, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  112. Ron - Oklahoma

Who do I trust on the economy? Simple. Nobody. The actions of the President, Congress, businesses, banks, etc. have destroyed all trust. THAT will have to be earned. Let's all hope that they are capable of earning that trust back again. If not, we are all in for a VERY rough ride.

Ron in Oklahoma

March 13, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  113. Pete

Jack, I don't trust the government or the puppet in the White House! To get ahead in the economy I trust myself and the decisions I need to make to survive. There is no work out there for anyone and it said to see our country in this shape.

March 13, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  114. msalgirl

I trust President Obama 110% to handle the economy. He is level headed and really cares about the people of the USA. Who did Bush care about? It is refreshing to see a president who is trying to make a change but he is getting so much resistants from the Republicans. We are one nation and I wish more people would support the president. Like he said, he inherited this economic mess and it will take all of us to help him. We are the USA!!! Yes we can!!

March 13, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  115. Louis , Germany

Jack , The republicans caused this problem and the democrats ´don´t have the ability to fix it.. " We trust in God".

March 13, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  116. Ted Herrmann

The only person I've come to trust relative to my well being and that of this country's is Barack Obama. I don't feel he's a "politician" out for his own personal gain. The rest of them, you can toss them for all I care. They come across as just as greedy and needy as these "expletive" corporate moguls who could give a damn about the working class of this nation. I don't trust any of them in congress nor in the senate. Pretty sad don't you think?

March 13, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  117. Lamin Jaiteh, Edmonton, Canada

The American economy is in crisis and the world at large. It is for this reason that Americans of all works of life should come together and salvage the situation. The work cannot be done by the politicians alone, it ivolves each and every individuals. I trust the entire American populace, especially the Economist and the Intellectuals to rise up at this point in time to save the world.

March 13, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  118. John Kelley

After 8 abysmal years under the Republicans and Bush with their pals in Wall Street, it time for a significant change. I can tick off the programs that should have been part of the changes between 2000 and 2008, but for a Republican Supreme Court, we had not only a war in Iraq, but Enron, the oil companies, and all the rest of blodd suckers on Wall street, its time for the government to regulate and create a more balanced playing.
    All the Republicans and Wall street have done since January is twart every effort to improve the economy while keeping their hand opens for corporate welfare.
    Put it in a nut shell – the Republican party is like the Federalist party thrown out of office in 1800 by Thomas Jefferson. They never came back and that quick possible this time for th Republicans. Republicans=Wall Street+Right Wing conservatism+Negative political positions.

March 13, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  119. Michael

Republicans are angry cause for the frist time in eight years we have someone that explained things better, and is actually doing something to put this country back on track. I hope most of those Republicans lose the next elections that will really send a message to the rest, United we stand divided we fall.

March 13, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  120. Dale Johnson

Since Ronald Reagan famously said, "Get Government out of the way and let business take care of itself", there has been 3 decades of implementing that very concept.

The economy we have now seems to be the result of putting that notion into effect. I think it's now time to allow the Government to correct freewheeling business practices that have landed us in this quagmire. We HAVE to have Government oversight, and probably some enlarged temporary controls.

Dale Johnson

March 13, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  121. Chad from Los Angeles, CA

Republicans trust businesses more? WOW, big surprise there, since they own most businesses, profit from big business, and have their elections paid by big business.

Not the most intuitive poll to quote on CNN. Try a little harder next time guys…

March 13, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  122. Matt

Who do I trust to fix the economy – business or government? Neither! I trust myself to make the best decision on what to do with my money – not the government giving it to failed and failing businesses that should be allowed to liquidate or file for bankruptcy. This crisis has been blamed on the free market, but we have not had a free market in this country for decades – and certainly not under George W. Bush and the Republicans. The essence of the free market is people making decisions on what to do with their money and businesses competing to offer the best goods and services in exchange for that money. Right now what I will do is save my money the best I can, and find investments I think are best for myself, and I will come out of this better than I went in – and so could all Americans by living with in their means and if the government allows them to keep their money instead of taxing them or devaluing the dollar through inflation and debt.

(By the way – I was a sucker and am stuck with a subprime mortgage, but I take full responsibility for it and will do what it takes to pay it until I can eventually sell my house.)

March 13, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  123. Lew in Virginia

Jack,

The data you cited show the folly of seeking so-called "bi-partisan" consensus on much of anything. It is the independents and the centrists who really tip the balance in elections and who will determine the public acceptance or rejection of the policy agenda.

Those of us independents in the center don't give blank-check 'trust' to either government or business, to either party–and certainly not to the media, who focus on only the most extreme views of the Left and the Right and largely ignore the 1/3 plus of the body politic who are realistic and pragmatic.

CNN could help remedy this by having more than just two extreme interview subjects on every topic and give some voice to people who offer a 'third way.'

March 13, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  124. Christopher Dudley

I trust the democrats more because of the past eight-years of dubya's economic policies. The republicans say thet'll fix the country but advocate for the tax breaks for the rich and say that it will trickle down but doesn't and the same economic that buried are economy alive.
    Denver.

March 13, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  125. Joe

Real easy Jack. Not a one of them. The Republicans gave away the farm under President Bush. Not act like they are on our side as if they did nothing wrong. The Democrates give a very high percent to the money to the heIllegals that have invaded this country. So much money to each and every city goes to the Illegals, then they cry we have no money. WOW! President Obama still acts like he is for change, but every move he makes is still for big business, in favor of the Illegals still taking our jobs and still in favor of big government. Not one mention of bringing back industry. How do we trust any of that?

March 13, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  126. Immy Hussain

Not the slimy slethery GREEDY Business that have been selling us snake oil and filling their pockets with the trickle down economy. It is sad that the poor, mostly less educated folks that support the Repulican philosophy have the most to loose. I support anyone who does not off-shore our jobs to line up their pockets. If we can bring back the outsoured jobs back to USA, we won't have a SINGLE AMERICAN OUT OF JOB. iT IS THE JOBS STUPID !

March 13, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  127. John William Edwards, Ph. D.

I have a saying: Only economists understand economics - NO ONE understands the economy. When the authors of the Consitution met, they built into that document unflattering assumptions about human nature - caution, in other words. To think you can let a bunch of overpaid grade-grubbing Yuppies, released onto Wall Street during Reagan's first term grow up to make sensible, balanced decisions about home loans and mortgage-backed securities is asking for disaster - or so I said at the time, while I was poverty stricken at Yale studying physics. Physics is a field where competece, which only comes from love of the subject not love of grades and money and other external rewards, actually matters. Trust? It's the wrong ingredient in a world driven by self-interest of one sort or another.

March 13, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  128. malcolm graham

I would trust the people in government who want to do the best for the US as a whole ( if there are any). Obama is most likely person. Democrats the most likely party.

March 13, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  129. Greg in Texas

I have to believe in business. With some government oversight. The subprime mortgage fiasco should never have happened. Those in government with oversight that let this happen should have to pay along with the irresponsible mortgage lenders. Too bad some of those responsible are still in Congress. Enough said... If left to it the economy will take care of itself. I don't care who is at the helm of shipwreck "USS Government".

March 13, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  130. Shari

I trust the government. It's obvious that the greed of business can not be trusted considering the pay and bonuses that top executives continued to give themselves even when their companies were in financial distress. At least with government the people have a say and can vote someone out or encourage government officials to impeach an elected official as occurred in Illinois.

March 13, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  131. Brad

The do nothing presidents made the great depression worsen and FDR tried to give it some hope with his New Deal. Some may argue that it leangthened the depression but as of right now we can stop that from happening. We need the government to show leadership and aid mainstreet while not hurting buisinesses because we need buisness for the long haul to carry the economy. The goverment is doing a lot try and improve the situatuion and instill confidence the people and buisness need to trust him.

March 13, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  132. sally whiting

I'm a Democrat, but Raegan was correct when he said "trust, but verify." It takes both business and government to make it right. Businesses should perform; government should provide oversight. One without the other will fail.

Sally in the Old Dominion

March 13, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  133. Rodney Brooklyn, NY

Jack,
    I trust something, not someone. That thing is time. The other thing I trust prayer. Why prayer? Because we all have to pray that China does not call in our debt.
    Rodney

March 13, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  134. Tony Fiallo

Jack,

After 12 years of Republican Congressional control and 8 years of THE CRETIN in the White House, the only people anyone should trust are the Democrats. We have seen the damage that the unshackled exercise of Republican ideology has done. Now is the time for Democratic policies aimed at curbing big business abuses, helping working and middle class Americans deal with the current fiscal crisis, and laying the groundwork for improved healthcare, education, ecological, and energy policies. We are fortunate to have a President intelligent enough to see that it is not an either or proposition. The myriad elements of our economic and social fabric are so tightly interwoven that they must be addressed as a whole, rather than piece part.

Tony
    Toms, River, NJ

135. Lou

I don't trust the government, I trust the will of the American people and the entrepreneurs that drive the economy. Capitalism will bring the economy back from the brink, grow businesses which will result in more jobs. Less government is more.....!

136. Pat Hudgins

Open your eyes people!
    Both Parties are the same, Party first, special interest second, and a long third, is you, the taxpayer.
    It will be the grit of the average American, that puts us back on course, as the biggest threat to us is the Washington Mafia, whose only interest is their own.
    Why do we have to be accountable, and they do not?

137. Gail

I don't trust Wall Street, I am skeptical of Main Street, the pundits never get it right, and CNBC is most pathetic-ALRIGHT! There is only one person that does not make my outlook shiver, the only one I TRUST is the one who smiles back in the MIRROR

138. Steven from Yonkers NY

I trust my local and state government. Our founders laid out a basis for this great country, the basis being that federal government should be held in check by the people. My opinion is that the federal government is out of control when it comes to spending, as well as other things, and if they really wanted to help the American people they would give the American (actually they would let them keep) people the money they are giving to the financial institutions via bail out. It is the only real way to stimulate the economy. Unfortunately it is not easy to hold the Federal government in check. It is a runaway train. It is much easier to hold your state and local governments in check, and to make a difference at a local level. That is why I trust the State and local governments, not the federal government, with our economy; because in that way, the American people are in charge of their own destiny; not Washington, nor corporations. Thank you

139. Tom Davis

I trust the people who hold dear the ideas of the French of 1775. They had the best idea of how to handle the people that offers the working man "Cake".

140. Travis Winckler

Neither. Its a false choice Jack. If the Bush administration showed us anything its that business and political interests are bedfellows. I don't trust either of them. Corporate interests gave a lot of money to both the Obama and McCain campaigns, which does not bode well for those of us in the public looking to Republicans or Democrats to do the people's business. He who pays the piper calls the tune.

Travis, New Jersey

141. Mark Wittlinger

How can I trust anybody? Our president looks to be trying his best but how can any of us be sure it will work. Others are full of opinions but either they are guessing or hoping like the rest of us. When an internationally renown publication like Forbes list a drug lord among the richest in the world giving acceptance to that as a legitiment occupation then I can help but wonder if anyone can be trusted.

142. Tommy

Don't know who(m) to trust but definitely don't think we should be giving away tax dollars to people who have made irresponsible personal or business decisions based on greed.

143. Jenine

The Republican are all about themselves and their rich buddies. They sow hate, they enjoy division and confusion and have no desire to UNITE this country. Don't trust those Republicans. They are up to no good. If they are so GODLY and represent conservatism why are they so hateful
    WE will continue to trust God. The Republicans have ruin this country. I am convince that Madoff is a Republican and How many Madoff out there. There News is asking there are the wealth gone. The Republican have Milk the system and take it all. We should be asking them.

144. dave holland

Business had its chance. Democrat led government advocates the actions that most economists and international financiers recommend. All the Republicans have offered is ideology. I have little trust in ideology of that kind, especially when they did not trust it themselves when they were in power.

145. Sid C., Dallas, TX

So far, Obama has done a lot of good work. I believe he is being anchored and centered in proposing a path forward, rather than being skewed by ideology. A lack of affinity to ideology is a good thing since it can pick and choose from various corrective options from both sides of the aisle.
    As such, he's not given me any reason to not trust the government to fix the economy, and he sure looks like he is up to the task.

146. Casey

I'm not sure who is being polled because most of the people I know do not feel as if this president or congress is working for them. I work in the predominantly liberal entertainment industry but have found more and more of my fellow co workers turning conservative. Our small business jobs, while tenuous at best, can not continue to hold up the whole country. More and more of the vendors we usually buy from are either bankrupt, closing their doors or not keeping inventory. So right now, I don't really see anyone who really gets it and therefore I trust only myself.

147. kay, tx

As much as I trust President Obama, and I do, he's only one branch of Govt. The ship of fools, aka the house and senate don't know which way to turn next. The very people they sold our govt. out to are the same people they've been charged with reeling back in. It ain't gonna happen. My trust has to lie with my fellow Americans.

March 13, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  148. Dave Dubinsky

Jack – After 8 yrs of Conservative-minded greed, theft and corruption, I'm with the President! We're the only industrialized nation, in the world, without national health coverage and a national education system. We're slaves to the fat cats in the insurance industry and to those who would dismantle public education in a heartbeat. Change is always a bit painful, especially for the status-quo. Let freedom ring with the reshaping of America into a truly American dream.

March 13, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  149. Pat, California

I trust President Obama and his Administration. For the first time in a long time, we have people in the White House that know how to think and solve problems for the benefit of the majority of Americans. When you view our country for the benefit of ALL THE PEOPLE and not just some, one understands why we can trust our government. There is a new CEO in town, President Obama, and I know he will go down in history as one of the best Presidents when all is said and done. He and his administration are changing the landscape in our government which will be primarily motivated by integrity, patience, and accountability. This change takes time and I can appreciate that some are resisting, but this is human nature "there is no free lunch".

March 13, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  150. BethAlbanyOR

To answer that question with a question; What if AIG. et. al. (A business) were the government, where would our Nation be? Better yet, has anyone realized that we actually don't have a capitalist society with AIG. et. al. controling the decisions and actions of every government official from the top down, all the while sucking the very life, liberty, and money away from every citizen in our Country;, Republican, Democrat, and Parties et. al.

Jack, I live to see and listen to you and your questions every day, I mean it, just ask my son. Thank you for those few minutes a day that gives me the opportunities to agree, disagree, be angry, and most of all to laugh. CNN, Jack's a keeper in my world!

March 13, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  151. Dakota Don from Akra

Better answered by saying i absolutely positively DON'T trust anyone connected in any way to the Republican Party.

March 13, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  152. Tom, Huntington Beach, CA

I trusted business until the Bush Administration fell asleep at the regulation wheel setting the country up for a "Bush Whack" by Wall Street criminals.

March 13, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  153. J.W. Moore

Dear Jack, I've managed parts of GM, Dupont and our family business over 50 years and I can testify that business has to focus on what is best for its own narrow interests. This often leads to unethical and anti-social actions. Government isn't perfect, but its constituency is the general public of the USA. Transparency laws, and the natural belief of every citizen that we have the right to know and approve of what government does, gives me a lot more confidence that it is trying to help us all. It's the only organization big enough to do what's needed to regulate and enforce fair play within a capitalist system. J.W. Moore, Wilmington, DE

March 13, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  154. Gerald

Trust? Where in Washington does trust exist? Truman said "if you want a friend in Washington get a dog." Nothing has changed there. The left is pulling in one direction the right in the other. Each is out to get its own agenda installed the way its always been. As usual we have to live with whatever compromise we get . God bless America! Trust?Are you kidding?

March 13, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  155. Tony, Rye,NY

All Americans should understand that the current free trade (NAFTA) was not instituted by Bush but by Clinton. But the economic problems we are facing are not from recent politics but from over 40 years. The culprits were both Repubilicans and Democrats. Polititians know very little of what the speak about. It gets written for them and they become the parrrots.
    While there have been some crooks in business, I would rather have a business man fix business than a polititian. Who would you want to balance your checkbook, Nancy Peloici or a certified accountant?
    As for our current government they have my prayers because they'll need them.

March 13, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  156. Eric Bracke, Fort Collins, CO

The question, in and of itself, is revealing that most people don't have a clue on how the economy works. It's not a question of who tov"trust". The economy is a beast that needs to be fed from many sources. Consumers need to feel confident about the economy and optimistic about the future. Government needs to provide the appropriate amount of regulation, checks and balances. Businesses need to behave responsibly in the management of there business. Good and fair trade practices between nations is a must.
    Trusting an one entitiy like the government or business in general is a sure fire recipe for the continuing economic crisis. No one or no specific group has the control of the economy. The economy is a team sport that doesn't have a coach. No one is at the helm. It will correct itself in due time. Trusting government to correct the economy, like we are now, is beyond absurd and the stupidity is overwhelming. Americans have truly become idiotoic sheep.

March 13, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  157. Ann

Jack, sure not the republicans they are the reason we are in this recession. The Obama adminstration is doing a good job i also like the way the first lady spoke up, the republicans forgot that she is a Harvard graduate along with a super first lady,and mother.
    Ann, texas

March 13, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  158. George

How can you trust any of the people in Washington, the Obama appointee's don't pay their taxes. The House and the Congress don't use the same insurance or retirement that the rest of the population must use...they have a different standard than the working class. We work and pay, they deal and avoid paying.I think we should throw them all out and start over...I won't vote for any one that as ever been elected to any office, dog catcher or class president...George

March 13, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  159. Pat

Trust? definitely not the Republicans, but what amazes me is how many people do trust the Republican agenda. I'll bet they wouldn't invest with Bernard Madoff after seeing what he did or maybe they would. Why in the world would they trust the Republicans after the last 8 years? The last eight years make what Madoff did look like petty larceny. At least Madoff tried to make us believe he was sorry. The republicans made it quite clear that they will do the same again and have no regrets.

March 13, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  160. M.J. Westerlund

Hands down, I'll take democratic government. In spite of the bums, crooks and self-serving individuals (humans all) we can find there, we can always get involved and work to throw the bums out. But business doesn't ask your opinion because they don't want it. The single objective of business is profit; it is on the money mission, peoples' lives be damned. Business does not do anything, community give-back or green initiatives or health insurance or whatever you want to name, without an eye to the bottom line. Business has only become slightly more humane in the last 100 years because it has been demanded by evolving governments. People need to remember that. MJ from Texas

March 13, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  161. Janet

I trust the Democrats because (1) they look at Americans in their entirety; (2) they understand that the problem is complex and requires a combination of short-term and long-range actions and that it has to be approached at many levels (tax-cuts, mortgage help, health-care, education, etc). I would never trust the Republicans because they (1) don't represent the majority of Americans; (2) they are a one-trick pony (tax cuts for the wealthiest); (3) they don't learn from their mistakes.

I would rather "tax and spend" and have something to show for it (infrastructure, healthcare, educated population) than "borrow and spend" – as Bush did – with death, destruction, and anger to show for it.

March 13, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  162. Teauna

I trust god. Perhaps we should elect Big Bird from Sesame Street to clean this mess up. I hear the big yellow bird may be looking for job soon. And from what I have seen, he has been pretty good at getting people to work together to fix things over the last 30 or so years.

March 13, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  163. Jim Green, Seguin, TX www.Inclusivism.org

Jack, re “whom” do we trust, I think this depends on what “index” we use-a reversal of our plummeting unemployment, or a reversal of the downward spiral of the stock market…..to restore public confidence in our economy……my guess is that Democrats will trust the former, and Republicans the latter.

March 13, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  164. Chris Johnson

We gave the Republicans 8 years and they showed us they can destroy the 'world' economy. I'm not in favor of the government controlling everything, but for now, it has to be. Someone has to take control of the situation and I look to our government and Obama to do that. There is so much corruption and only regulations and government intervention will get us back to a thriving economy.

March 13, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  165. Darren Atkinson

I full-heartedly hope the recession will soon come to an end and feel that if consumer and investor condidence can continue to steadily increase then the long winter of economic downturn is over.

I trust the Obama administration because it speaks positively about our economy, which positivity will eventually lead to the end of the recession. Shawn Hannity and other stubborn republicans only damage the situation more by having to blindly disagree with every action President Obama takes. He is only trying to fix the mess republicans made in the first place; in my opinion, President Obama is doing a fine job. (and this coming from a Utahn)

March 13, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  166. kn

Jack,

I though this question was answered in November. When every business goes to far, the Democracies always get in office. Elected to uphold the moral standard over the business standard. Then people feel safe with the futures and they have money in the bank and greed sets in. That when they do whatever they can to get whatever advance (moral or not) to hoard away as must money as they can get their greedy hands on. And here comes the Republicans, telling you why sharing the prosperity is not the American way.

March 13, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  167. Jim Evans

Jack,
    I trust "we the people." We are the government. Capitalism is an economic system used by the people to encourage productivity. It is destructive to have business self-policing or participating in the democratic process. The problems we are having with democracy are a result of our treating businesses like citizens with constitutional rights. The cause of the economic problems is poorly defined rules and lack of enforcement of the system. Only government can serve as the enforcer.

March 13, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  168. KirkinDallas

Jack, Big Business has no other loyalty then profit. The company I work for is slowly going public, and our benefits are eroding too. They tell us it's a defensive move and they took cuts too. But I doubt the cuts they made themselves are commensurate to cutting our 401K matching. I think, at least the government is putting more emphasis on helping the working population of this country.

March 13, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  169. Roger

I trust the government more that I do big business, & employees should be fairly compensated. Without gov't regulations on how our banking system & business is akin to not having speed limits...we need to be governed NOT ruled. The 2 party system works but it needs a hot shower...you know Jack...a good cleanin!

Roger

Roann In.

March 13, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  170. lloyd wicklund

I find it interesting that many people feel that business will is more trustworthy than government to get us out of a very serious problem that has been created by the banks and wall street. As an independent, I think it's time for the republican party to work toward solving the economic problem and stop echoing the same positions that placed us in this economic meltdown. it seems at this time that we need some government structure to rein in the people who created our economic woes.

March 13, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  171. Mark

If recent time have proven anything, businesses are excessively Greedy. My belief is that many of the problems we have are business generated issues. I did not see business running to support the economic recovery but instead covered their butts and ran. As the recovery has started the government has to set guidelines and stick to it as unpopular as it is to Greedy corporations and individuals. You will note that most of the oppsition to measure are fighting amongst themselves.
    I TRUST IN GOD ! and beleive "Nothing tried Nothing done" Government is trying and need to be given a chance as businesses didnot have any plausable solutions.
    Does not suprise me that republicans are most ressistive as they are still in shock. We need to work together on this and stop road blocking.

March 13, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  172. Tess from California

Jack,
    It is apparent that for the past 8 years, America and Americans have been operating on two separate economic realities: One not much unlike "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" for the Banking industry and wealthiest Americans who were happily taking money out of our economy and hiding it in foreign places like Swiss Banks, and a second economic reality for everyone else who took on more debt to live like the wealthy. The quaint houses passed down in families from generation to generation were no longer good enough; "mini mansions" took their place and people bought and sold real estate like they were placing chips on a Vegas crap table.

As a result, everyone has to be "bailed out"!

Who do I trust to run the economy?

My grandparents (RIP) who were second generation slaves in this country. They became self-employed house cleaners and janitors, and they hid their money in their mattresses and bibles!

Its time for Americans to innovate! Trust yourselves! Go out and create your own economy though small business – employ your children, and write off 100% of their health care costs; run your business in 1 dedicated room (if you can) in your house or apartment and write that off too...along with a % of your utilities that you use to run the business! GET CREATIVE!

Our President is doing the best he can to help every person in America. What is everyone else doing? ...is the real question, Jack!

March 13, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  173. Chris

Jack,

It's too easy to blame just the republican's after all a C average president was more embarrassing and outrageous as it gets. However,
    the democrats under Clinton were no picnic either...but at least most of us were working. I say throw all the Bums out and start over with 5th graders at least most would have the integrity to make decisions for the average American.

March 13, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  174. mary

I trust robin hood excuse me I mean Barock Obama, big business and our republican government caused this problem and I dont expect them to be part of the solution. Forbes list of billionaires shows us the exciting news that the mighty have fallen and that means the middle class might be moving back up.

March 13, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  175. Ana Bianco

I do not trust CONGRESS the more things change the more they remain the same. Politcians are all about me, myself, and I.
    They are only only interested in the pork they can get for their individual state so they can be re-elected again and again. Sad they forget to work for the good of the nation as a whole. It a pity voters do not let their voices be heard where it counts, their vote. Voters deserve what they get because about 95% of policians keep getting relected again and again. Wake up America if you go to bed with babies you going to wake up wet.

March 13, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  176. D. W. Whitlock

I trust the Republicans about as far as I can urinate into a hurricane.
    Republicans hate government and don't give a dam about the public good or about honorable service. I thank the stars they are not in control during this fiscal tsunami. What an unmitigated disaster that would have been. Republicans would have only produced a huge tax cut for those at the top and major roll backs of government regulations and oversight. Talk about pouring gasoline on a raging fire. I hope and pray that they remain in the political wilderness for, oh, about a hundred years.

March 13, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  177. Carol MI

Oh Jack, Duh? Sorry but that question is a no brainer. I trust the government under the new Pres. If you listen to the news "and" do your own reading and research you can make some good decisions. I am very disappointed in people who base their decisions on there friends second hand info so it muat be a fact and repeat it as fact. People, research the truth and cnn is a good place to start. I listen to a lot then research.
    Carol MI

March 13, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  178. Dale from Colorado

The only individuals that I trust are President Obama and Vice President Biden as they seem to be the only individuals who don't have a secret agenda when it comes to the economy. Congress can't even pass an economic stimulus package without subverting it with their covert pork barrell projects and Wall Street turns bailouts into executive splurges and bonuses. This week we learned that executives from Countrywide Financial are now making millions on the other end of their subprime mortgage mess. It is no wonder that Americans have turned a deaf ear to the plea for restored confidence. Confidence in what?

March 13, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  179. Marvin in North Dakota

I trust President Obama and his cabinet to turn the economy around. The wall street banks, big business, got us into this mess and are still doing little or nothing to improve the economy.

March 13, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  180. John in S.C.

Jack,name one government agency that operates with annual profits,then name one business (without government intervention) that operates with annual deficits. The answer to your question should be obvious.

March 13, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  181. Reggie in Clinton, MD

I trust that I President is doing everything possible to make good strategic decisions. There will be bumps along the way. Yesterday, I counted 5 stories on my local news station indicating individuals in various business roles scamming others out of money. Greed is ever present in our society. I believe our President has something to prove and getting things done will clearly demonstrate that "we" voted for the right person. The pressure is on him to clean up the mess he inherited, but I think he is a focused & cool dude. I support MY PRESIDENT!!!

March 13, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  182. Ann

Jack
    Sure not the republicans i think the Obama adminstration is doing a good job. you go first lady Harvard grad. i like your comments
    Ann, Texas

March 13, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  183. Mike, FL

I trust Jack Cafferty, if he sells enough books maybe all of us will have a better year!! 🙂

March 13, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  184. tia

The engenuity, spirit and hardwork of the American people. The poster child may be the inventor of the Snuggie. Anyone who can successfully sell millions of people on a new way of wearing a bathrobe backward may the one who can also turn the economy around. Is he/she a Republican or a Democrat? Who cares! I guarantee you that success story has nothing to do with the United States government or either political party. The lesson learned is not to depend on (especially politicians) to fix anything. Their answer to spend what we don't have is not a good business model. (Doesn't that sound familiar, corporate America?) If we want to get it done we'll need to do it ourselves.

March 13, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  185. James V.

Hey Jack , When it comes to the economy whom do I trust? Well it's sure NOT Free Market tax cuts philosophy of the party which was in the White House for the prior 8 years. They created THIS mess. Don't believe me, just remember that we had a Balanced Federal budget before Free Market George got into office .Trusting those individuals to repair our economy would be like throwing gasoline on a forest fire and expecting the fire to go out. So that leaves me with only one other option, the monetize the Middle Class policies of President Obama's economic team. At this point, President Obama's policies may not be perfect but they can't be any worse then the ones practiced by the last guy and at least the Middle Class's needs won't be ignored by Obama's policies. So Tentatively, I'll trust the new guy. But the key word here is "tentatively, Jack. James V. Robbinsville NJ

March 13, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  186. Tanya Hackenberg

Jack, Although Obama is doing the best he can, the economic crisis is too deep and widespread for him to rescue. We learned from Katrina that Government is too big and slow to rescue us. Big money and wallstreet got us in this mess to begin with–no trust there. The grass roots will have to help each other survive this.

Tanya

Avis, PA

March 13, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  187. Sue - Atlanta

Me, myself and I and the Man up above!!!

March 13, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  188. Dr,. Paul R. VeHorn, Ph.D.

Jack do you think that I would trust the benevolence of business after this disaster? I am an ex-republican who trusts only the government if it has iron clad regulations to control corporate corruption.

March 13, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  189. k_michael (Clodine, TX)

Underlying this question is what I think is an erroneous assumption that has been working to the detriment of the nation, namely, the assumption that governemnt and business "must" be enemies.

There are things that business can do well, and other things that government can do well; it is *at best* simplistic to posit that either can provide all solutions to all problems. In his address to the Business Roundtable this week, President Obama spoke about this very issue, albeit in different words, and discussed the need for government and business to work *together*.

Sadly, the former American Value, of cooperation between complimentary groups to solve problems that affect us all, has all but disappeared, having been replaced by hollow lip-service paid to 'bipartisanship'; the result has been a falsly adversarial, and unnecessarily contentious, rejection of cooperation which is the root of most of this nation's current problems. By continually insisting that government and business are enemies, a few people have gained power, but it is to the detriment of the rest of us, of the nation, because enemies *cannot* trust each other. In this way, a few self-interested power-mongers have succeeded where al Qaida failed: in dividing this nation against itself.

So, to ask whether a person trusts the government OR trusts business to solve our economic problems (or any other problems), is simply the worng question – the right question would be, Whom does it *benefit* to set government, business, and the body politic one against the other as mutual enemies?

Thank you for listening.

March 13, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  190. M.J. Westerlund

I trust Obama's short term plan for stabilization and long term economic growth plans by "going back to fundamentals" and also "a post-bubble plan" that refocuses on a solid infrastructure with energy, education and health care at the center of improvements. Trust business? You definitely shouldn't trust anyone who says yes to that !

March 13, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  191. T.R. from the Corruption State N.J. (oops)meant garden state

Cmon Jack,wasn't this answered in Nov.?Are theses new businessmen Jack with new ideas?Hmmm,let see,more outsourcing,maybe take the remaining 4% of our industrial base or manufacturing abroad,or talk more dumdums into sub-prime mortgages?More tax breaks for themselves,Maybe even more of the trickle down effect?Didnt we go through this with Hoover once?I base my decisions on who i'd actually rather work for and what will result.Lets give the Govt. the benefit of the doubt.I'd rather work for Obama.

March 13, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  192. Rohit Desai

Jack:

It is a great question.

In this economic down-turn, at least my family and I find our-selves left in a deep dich of valley where your American Dream has all ready evaporated and left in a deep swirl of crisis.

You work for an employer for three and a half year, you work with all your energy, dedication and enthusiasm and you are handed over a pink slip on a fine January Thursday morning, your computer access is gone within ten minutes. Your bank withdraws your checking account money without your consent or your permission, you are left wondering whom to trust and where to find the peace.

In this dire times, I have lost my trust. The bank where you have fifteen years of association, I would rather trust my-self and hope for better time. No idea, when that better time will come, but hope not too long otherwise, I will be gone from this earth itself!

March 13, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  193. Johst Burk

I read and hear on CNN that WallStreet and 48% of the economists give Obama a failing grade on how his administration is dealing with the economy. Why should we trust the judgment of The Street and the "experts" who put the country into the dire straits we are facing now?
    As far as I am concerned, the financial experts starting with Alan Greenspan have bankrupted our country through their policies based on deregulation. Let's give Obama and his team a chance to set things right.

March 13, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  194. Randy B, Odenton Maryland

Trust no one! The title of politician is now an insult. Corruption is not only expected in our government but it's accepted. The image of a banker and corporate CEO is now directly associated with blatant greed. To them Madoff was a genius, until he got caught. In this country you have to watch your own back.

March 13, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  195. Joan: Burlington, Vt

I do not really trust either, but I have a little more confidence in the government than in business. How can we trust business - remember what Enron did to California - well the bankers were doing the same thing to the whole country until accountability showed up on the table - now they are falling all over themselves to give back the money because they don't want us to know how they do business.

Benacke is handing out secret loans. I have confidence that Pres. Obama will at some point demand accountability and transparency from the federal reserve. I do not trust Geithner at all - he is part of the past problems.

TRUST - only in God alone can we trust!!

March 13, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  196. GREG FLanagan

Please dont use my last name.

Jack;

I supportedthe previous adrinimistation, now 50 odd days into an a

attempt to pull our NATION back to sanity. The gOp; claims ideas

that are true. I will definintely give the new PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA the same. The party I once believed in is now the PRATY OF Giveup On alldrnesParty.

Respectfully submitted;

Greg

March 13, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  197. JohnWinNC

We tried the "Republican" way during the last administration and where are we as a result? We are in a recession, in debt, at war (2), losing ground to the terrorists and forced to use taxpayer money to prevent an even worse situation. "Business" can not be trusted! A primary role of Governement is to regulate the activities of these unscrupulous, greedy people.

March 13, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  198. JW

I find it funny that we blame the SEC for the failure to see the fraud. The very people who stole (madeoff) actually worked to dismantle the oversight. Time and time again the reduction of staffing and funding has caused the public to be harmed by greed. From having too less inspectors for the beef industry, to the influence in the testing of drugs by big pharma, we have seen the deadly results. Wake up republicans your family is at risk.

March 13, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  199. stephen blesofsky

We have little choice but to trust those in office. To deny the incoming Democrats a true and fair chance due to unrealistic and unfair , all be it understandable, impatience will only make things worse.

Republicans had full control of the House, Senate and Presidency from 2001 through 2006 and continue to hold filibuster control over the Senate, the constraining impact of which on the DEMS, who are charged with cleaning up the mess, has not been well reported. If the voters dump the Democrats in 2010 because they could not clean up a mess, with a hand tied behind their backs without a filibuster proof Senate, that the Republican took at least six years to create, shame on the voters and may G-d help us.

Steve Blesofsky
    Sun City Center, Fl.

March 13, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  200. Carol MI

I forgot to say that I am going out to stimulate the economy tomorrow people, let's do it. There are some really good deals, LOL!
    Carol, MI

March 13, 2009 at 6:42 pm |
  201. BWH Indiana

It's REALLY simple, Jack - President Barack Obama and his team of experts on the subject matter. The Republicans in Congress and some governors look more foolish every day in their childish attempts to obstruct Mr. Obama in his efforts to fix not only the economy but also the rest of the mess left to him by them and the Republican administration.

March 13, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  202. Ralph Spyer chicago Il

Do I trust my Church with my children? NO Do I trust my boss at work that I will not be lay off? NO Do I trust my government not to lie to me I don:t think so. Do I think people with money and power play by different rule ? THE all I trust is my wife and you Jack.

March 13, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  203. Peter Wolfe

Certainly not the GOP.......We had their plan starting with Mr. Reagan and his trickle down policy. We want the trickle up venue.
    P. Wolfe
    New Mexico

March 13, 2009 at 6:45 pm |
  204. J. Lawson

I trust the Obama administration, at least they are doing something to try and fix this mess. The GOP however are doing nothing to help the situation and frankly they are so negative I would never look to them to fix anything.

March 13, 2009 at 6:46 pm |
  205. Alida Tavernier

I trust Barack Obama in all things. His goodness and wisdom are so rare as to engender my deep faith in his judgment, and I only hope this, that the cynics in this country and the people who love to hate, and who don't deserve such a fine president, will learn to be still, accept his sincere efforts, get over themselves and come to appreciate their good fortune in having a real leader, a fine role model and an excellent problem solver.

March 13, 2009 at 6:46 pm |
  206. dokieh

I don't trust in anyone. I wouldn't even trust in me if I was in charge 🙂

See you.
    Campaign 2.2

March 13, 2009 at 6:48 pm |
  207. Joe

Between "government" and "business," it's a silly question because there's no such unified entity as "business." Thus, there is not – and could not realisticallyl be – a "business" plan for the economy. On the other hand, there have been Republican proposals – and they all add up to "keep, and expand, the tax favoritism for the top income brackets," and wait for the spending and investing by those wealthy few to "trickle down" and revive the economy. Seeing those ideas, I'd much rather rely on what you call "government," especially the current government.

March 13, 2009 at 6:51 pm |