February 20th, 2009

What are the signs of bailout fatigue?

From CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Have you noticed it's become nearly impossible to wake up in the morning without hearing about another big-time bailout by the federal government?

What are the signs of bailout fatigue?

The stock market takes a hit every time the government announces a new initiative.

President Obama recently signed the almost $790 billion economic stimulus bill. His Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner unveiled the bank bailout plan that could mean another trillion dollars spent on bailing out our nation's drowning financial institutions. That's on top of the $700 billion financial bailout package from last fall.

Then there are the auto companies – they were back in Washington this week wanting another $21.6 billion of your money, on top of the more than $17 billion they got last fall. Then there's the administration's $275 billion plan to help up to 9 million struggling homeowners refinance or modify their mortgages so they don't lose their homes.

If these dizzying numbers aren't enough to give you a headache, how about the fact that the stock market keeps tanking every time the government announces a new initiative? Yesterday the Dow closed at its lowest level in more than 6 years and today it took another big hit. Investors are nervous that the government won't be able to right our economic ship, despite the trillions of dollars it's pouring in.

Here’s my question to you: What are the signs you’re suffering from bailout fatigue?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Anthony from Wildwood Crest, New Jersey writes:
That's a great question. I'll let you know right after I drink a shot, have a Xanax, and tell my kids instead of going to Disney, they are going to watch it!

Bruce writes:
If you give your son his allowance and ask him how much of it is going to infrastructure. Or, if you think Alan Greenspan just made an interesting observation, you may be suffering from bailout fatigue.

Kelvin writes:
Fatigue? What fatigue? Are you kidding, Jack? I have PMS everyday and I am not even a woman. Do they make a medicine for that if you are a man?

Bill writes:
I started watching more CNN and agree with Cafferty.

JD in New Hampshire writes:
Bailout fatigue is when I make the check out directly to a rich C.E.O. and bypass the I.R.S., all the time wondering how I'll buy groceries.

John writes:
When you start watching FOX news and believing it.

Adrian writes:
When you find yourself wondering what happened to Paris Hilton.

Kevin writes:
I went to the store and they were out of Jack Daniels!

Marilyn writes:
For sheer escapism, you actually watch The Real Housewives of Orange County....in repeats.

Chris from Savannah, Ga. writes:
Whenever I hear the word "crisis or catastrophe", I hold onto my wallet.

Mitchell in Arkansas writes:
When yer standin' in line with 20 other formerly wealthy Republicans at the hardware store and asking, "How much fer some of yer rope?"

John writes:
You're probably suffering from bailout fatigue if you sit, bolt upright in your bed tonight and say, "I'm Wolf Blitzer and you're in the Situation Room. Happening now- North Dakota bails out California and New York buys Florida."

Filed under: Bailout • US Economy
  1. Dave, Brooklyn, NY

I get very tired when I see billionaire thugs getting more billions, and creeps who bought more house than they could afford, and opportunist flippers who bought houses only to inflate the price and resell them all getting bailed out with money that comes directly from my undernourished wallet. When do I get my free ride?

February 20, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  2. Richard

Dow drops 198 points....Hmmm not a bad day

Richard Delray Beach

February 20, 2009 at 1:12 pm |
  3. Bill P

First, we don't need to be hit over the head, time, and time again, that the economy has tanked. We're living it. What we need to hear is that help has started and to not panic. Companies need to take a breath and stop the knee jerk actions that are prolonging the unemployment plunge. The Obama administration needs to stop telling us things are bad and start telling us that the momentum is starting to shift.
    President Roosevelt gave America confidence. We need that now. I realize the situations are not apples to oranges, but the country needs to know that we are getting back on track. Both parties need to stop posistioning and start resolving the issues. Right now I don't care who did what! I want some people stepping up to the plate and telling me that we are making things better by working these issues and letting me have the ability to track it and make sure my money is going to fix the problem instead of squandering it. If you're using my, and my kid's money, I want accountability. I want Air Force One on the ground, I want politicians in D.C. and not traveling around on my dime when my money can go elsewhere where it's needed more. I want an honest politician working for me and not postering for re-election.

February 20, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  4. LM from Fayetteville, NC

We have turned them off. When the topic(s) come on the TV, we change the channel. This whole thing would have been better had it all been TOP SECRET and resolved with anyone knowing what was being done to correct it. AFTER ALL, no one knew what was happening when greed caused it. NO ONE KEPT US KNOWLEDGEABLE ON WHAT WAS HAPPENING THEN.

February 20, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  5. Casey | Sebastopol, CA

Bailout fatigue? How about being tired of hearing the same old Republican rhetoric? No one EVER asked me if I wanted trillions spent on wars I never supported - least of all the Republicans who ran this country into the ground.

Barack Obama asked me MANY times what I thought about things - how I was doing, what MY story was - so no, I don't have bailout fatigue... I have and will continue to support my President and his actions.

However, I have a wicked case of GOP fatigue... Got any aspirin, Jack?

February 20, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  6. Casey | Sebastopol, CA

Those talking "bailout fatigue" exhibit symptoms of petulance, impatience, selfishness and constant repetition of the word "No"....

Oh, wait. That's not bailout fatigue... that's GOP ideology.

February 20, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  7. Anthony Smith

Jack;
    That's a great question. I'll let you know right after I drink a shot, have a xanax, and tell my kids instead of going to Disney, they are going to watch it! Suffering? Nah!

Wildwood Crest, NJ

February 20, 2009 at 1:38 pm |
  8. Terry from North Carolina

Jack
    My signs of bailout fatigue happen when I listen to you and Wolf discuss the stimulus package. This becomes a tylenol moment for me.

February 20, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  9. me46

I am definitely suffering from bailout fatigue when I am envious of someone with a job

T.M.
    Vegas

February 20, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  10. Paul Austin,Texas

One major fatigue to me is being afraid to check how the funds in my IRA'S are doing. The other is hearing daily what about me why don't I get a bail out. We may just have to bail ourselves out the boat is sinking.

February 20, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  11. Donna Colorado Springs,Co

When I watch reruns of The Andy Griffith Show" rather than watch the news for another round of bad news, I know that I'm in bailout overload!

February 20, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  12. Doug from Bloomington IN

The fact that I roll my eyes about it every day is one big sign. The hypocrisy of the opposition and how it pisses me off is another.

I wish the whole system would crash and bring everyone, especially the dubiously rich, all the way down to where the rest of us live.

I've been saying for years that we're long overdue for a good depression in this country...and the world. There was one in the 1870's, the 1890's, there was the 1929-41 depression. So-o-o-o-o....roughly every 20-30 years. We haven't had one now for over 60 years! Why? Because we have been artificially influencing the system to avoid it and as a result, the system is so complicated that we can't hold off the inevitable any more. Mass the military on the borders, tell the world to stick it (if they want their money, let 'em come get it) and let's clean our own house!!

February 20, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  13. Billy G in Las Vegas

a sure sign of bailout fatigue is turning off the TV or switching the channel every time Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner comes on CNN to try and humbug giving BILLIONS to Wall Street crooks or that "twentysomething" looking Housing Secretary Shaun Donovan is on trying to justify bailing out the spendthrifts that used their home as an ATM machine at the expense of the taxpayers that lived within their means.

btw, my 401k is now a 201k. where's MY bailout?

February 20, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  14. Lori Melton

The generalizations from the talking heads is killing me. I want more specifics. What is the strict accountability? So we know who owes taxes, if they haven't been able to keep up with their taxes, how can we trust those with our Financial Recovery Program.
    I think the message needs to be patience. Now we have Bank of America in trouble. What is going on?
    Sarasota, Florida

February 20, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  15. John from Alabama

Jack: If the 92% of us who are paying our mortgages on time start to explode over the $75 billion bailout of homeowners in foreclosure this is bailout fatique. About 1/3 of the homes on my street are up for sale, and this is gives me cause for great concern. I wonder how many are in foreclosure or about to be in foreclosure. Oh, by the way, 3 homes stand empty with no status on them.

John from Alabama

February 20, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  16. Joe from Arlington

When the Dow hits 3000 and taxpayer asks "where did that trillion dollars go?"

February 20, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  17. Gigi in Alabama

I guess I'm just tired of hearing about it . . . I would like to see more action and less talk.

February 20, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  18. Kevin in Dallas, TX

In Soviet America, the government steal from you!

February 20, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  19. Robbie

I have been suffering since Clinton left office. I am still driving my 1990 Ford Ranger with almost 300,000 and could not get ahead under the Bush Administration and now have a shred of hope that Obama can pull off a victory for the middle class and the poor and I am not near as bad off as other folks who have lost their jobs. I ain't going to sweat the small stuff.

February 20, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  20. Jerry ; Alpharetta, GA

I track my 401K versus the DJIA. Frankly, I am losing. Can't afford to retire now so I am looking for my bailout money. What really keeps me up at night is wondering the impact all of this is going to have on my kids and grandkids. Once the bailout money is spent, I can't seem to visualize what industries are going to lead the USA back to where we were. We've given them all away, what is left that we can build on? I don't think a high speed train from L.A. to Las vegas represents a long term solution to what is going to rebuild America.

February 20, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  21. Justin, Alexandria VA

I can't tear my hair out because I'm already bald and I can't reach for the Jack Daniels because I can't afford the booze. So I went back to watching 'Lost.' It's way easier to keep up with that, anyway.

February 20, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  22. Meg from Troy, Ohio

Jack–
    My bailout fatigue comes everytime I hear about more another institution getting money. I think that it is time that individuals get bailed out.

February 20, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  23. Larry from Georgetown, Texas

Depression!!!!!!

February 20, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  24. Mari Fernandez, Salt Lake City, Utah

Jack, I am not suffering from "bail out fatigue" ........ however, I am very concerned that the average American has not bothered to educate themselves on the Stimulus Bill. They are just sitting watching TV being spoon fed!

Please people, THINK for yourselves go to: recovery.gov

And READ about the Stimulus Bill. There is way too much misinformation out here!

February 20, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  25. Steve of Hohenwald TN.

Well, the finincal insttitutions, and the auto companies don`t seem to be showing any signs of fatigue. They continue to beat a path to Capital Hill, and haven`t got tired yet. Maybe if we tell them NO!

February 20, 2009 at 3:05 pm |
  26. Paula in Albuquerque

I don't know, but I find myself getting-out in my new car, and just DRIVING...ANYWHERE...when the traffic is "light", and the sun is out! I dread the news...I dread the latest...DAILY speech by the President, in seemingly the same dark suit, the same words, the same podium, the same cautions...I dread the screaming debates on television about the likelihood, or not, of whether the President's latest attampt to stanch the flow of all that we have will have any effect...I dread the "latest unemployment numbers", and foreclosures in a given region...Fatigue? I know that's what I'm feeling. But, it all amounts to that old auto-parts commercial, which played during professional foot ball games. It has the mechanic extolling the virtues of maintaining your vehicle, else, he cautions..."Pay me NOW...or pay me LATER!" The myriad challenges which face our President are the result of a nation which has done non-stop "hearty partying"...allowed our collective infrastructure to degenerate to an appalling extent, coast-to-coast...a mendacious previous White House to wage TWO wars, simultaneously, which are draining our national treasury of BILLIONS, each month...and, our southern international border to remain as open and accessible as a 24-hr Walgreens!! Now that :extreme heavy-lifting is required of all of us, everybody's got a grievance, and everybody chooses to pout and throw tantrums, rather than to roll-up their sleeves, and do productive things in concert with their neighbors. There's a t-shirt that I have seen that reads, "I see stupid people". Well, so do I, and it shames me. Yeah...I guess that I'd call it "fatigue"...

February 20, 2009 at 3:09 pm |
  27. Marilyn Schaffter

I want to know why the government doesn't go after all the crooks on Wall St. and in the Banks who got the bonuses and make them give back the money. It would lower our debt significantly. Bonuses are given to people who do a good job and not for failure.

February 20, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  28. Alan-Buxton, Maine

I have been against bailouts from the very first one. If a bank or automobile company is not able to stay afloat on their own they need to shut their doors and let someone else take over. Propping up a house of cards now will only lead to collapse later and billions will be lost that will be needed to rebuild. Our economy is a fraud and will have to either change radically or collapse and be restarted on a realistic format. There will be suffering whatever happens but to prolong it with bailouts is insane.

February 20, 2009 at 3:25 pm |
  29. Jay in Texas

One sympton of bailout fatigue occurs only among those who voted for McCain or Obama who both voted for the first Bailout for the super-rich. It is sleep deprivation which occurs when the voter spends entire nights trying to figure out exactly how much money he or she is going to get for their campaign contributions. Personally, I don't suffer from it. I can just sit back and calmly watch the stock market crash and oil prices plummet. Oh yes, and I enjoy watching the price of gold and silver rise as all the super-rich bankers who profitted from the first Bailout scramble to buy every ounce they can get their greedy hands on rather that using the bailout money for the purpose it was "intended" – loosen up credit and help us out of the mortgage crisis. They are just feathering their own nests and saying "to hell with the little guys."
    Brownwood, Texas

February 20, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  30. Burt, Denver CO

I know I've hit bailout fatigue when I can't remember how much we've spent on bailouts. How much is it today?

February 20, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  31. Keith - Twinsburg, OH

I know I'm suffering from bail-out fatigue when I want to brush a foot of snow off of our car just so we can escape the Cable News for a couple of hours... to go eat at Bob Evans.

Hey Jack, How big of a number can an abacus accomodate.?

February 20, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  32. Ed

Waking up looking for real estate in the latest state threatening seccession. Leaning towards the ones with the greatest deer population is a sign that it's the bail out blues.

February 20, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  33. David

All the bad news. I have a job thank God but I almost feel guilty about having one and that's stress.

February 20, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  34. Diane, Barneveld, NY

When I start asking people if they need a bailout instead of asking if they need a loan.

February 20, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  35. stopthemadness

fatigue?! how about economic Munchausen syndrome?! they keep feeding the economy poison (bailouts) and then rush it to the doctor (legislators) for emergency treatment and guess what? they prescribe more POISON! Viscous, pathologically ill cycle. Or as some would say- downward spiral. fed up in Ohio.

February 20, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  36. Franky, Land of Lincoln

"All of which has probably left millions of Americans either pulling their hair out or reaching for the Jack Daniels."

Ohh Jack, you gave me an idea, genius Jack, genius...

February 20, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  37. Cathleen

It's all overwhelming, but what upsets me is the notion that we're too stupid to figure out a way to get out of this mess. For you idiots who are having a brainfart right now, this is America!!, we can get out of anything!! By investing in our future we have found a way out of it, we just need to shut up and get to work.

February 20, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  38. Randal Rosenbaum

The first sign is when you begin believing the democrats at whatever lie they tell you. The second sign is when your willing to give Obama another 500 billion for more liberal political causes, and the third sign is when you allow politicians to use race as a reason to allow for more federal spending, if you don't allow more money then your a racist. Hmmm..... I think we are already there.

February 20, 2009 at 4:42 pm |
  39. Mike S., New Orleans

You know you have bailout fatigue when you start drinking your hair and pulling out Jack Daniels.

February 20, 2009 at 4:49 pm |
  40. Big Tony Alanta, Ga.

When you have zero dollars in the bank, zero job, and your credit score is fast approaching zero, you're suffering from "bailout fatigue"

February 20, 2009 at 4:57 pm |
  41. Ben from Boston, Ma

Too many plans with too many parts for too much money and too few days for careful planning and consideration. And too much politics as usual. This is what has given me bailout fatigue; and now I'm starting to get Obama fatigue as well - a sinking feeling that I'm getting flim-flammed.

February 20, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  42. Valerie

If they ask for one more ..we all just might be ..lets see what happens with the ones we have ...

February 20, 2009 at 5:04 pm |
  43. Jeff in Minnesota

The fact that you're asking the question is good enough for me.

February 20, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  44. Lynne from NJ

When you get sick of seeing President Obama on TV everyday.

February 20, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  45. Imani (New York)

When there are too many 0s for me to understand the numbers! I'm there....

February 20, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  46. Marty from Cincinnati

Jack,

I’m having nightmares about the “bailout” frenzy that were having!

Remember, that if it doesn’t pass NOW – were headed to disaster – the world is going to end???

I can’t stand nor do I appreciate the President using scare tactics to the American people.

All I can think about is the debt created by a short term partial fix to the problem… putting people to work with shovel ready jobs until the money runs out. Our children and grandchildren will be paying this debt off beyond their lives.

As Jack Welch had stated when interviewed recently – (He was quite nice to President Obama), this spending package is filled with pent up “pet projects” that the Democratic Party has accumulated for years and years and truly NOT one to create jobs as it was conveyed!!

Jack Welch stated that this stimulus package does not address our core issue – (The Presidnet has already missed the boat..), as our economy is like a patient in the Intensive Care Unit under Cardiac Arrest. This stimulas package is like buying new clothes, shoes, food… and everything to dress it up, but it does do much more than that. We need credit to be available throughout the industries to get our economy back on track!

February 20, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  47. J'Von Cleveland, OH

Well its all there; Jobs loss, programs cut, reduced school lunches, new ideas to tax us even more and scams!! It affects everyone; not just one person!

February 20, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  48. Dave from St Louis

Jack,
    The dreadful feeling I get every time I look at my children and think about the future America we will undoubtedly be leaving them. Because of greed , and the inability to live within our means, our generation has possibly transferred the curse of poverty on them, and their children. We should be ashamed as a people, and a country.

February 20, 2009 at 5:46 pm |
  49. Randy from Salt Lake City

It's all a plan by the goverment and government owned media to pound the public over the head every few moments with bailout this and bailout that to the point where the average 'Murikan will just say, "Aw, go ahead and give 'em the money! I'm tired of hearing about it."

It's all a game their playing -with 'Murikans lives!

February 20, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  50. Matt from atlanta

My bailout fatigue is growing inversely proportional to my 401K account.

February 20, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  51. Shmulik in Columbus, OH

First sign is my shoe through th TV screen next time another fat cat and his company are bailed out.

February 20, 2009 at 5:59 pm |
  52. kubwa

when you sir jack make the friday night question one about bailout fatigue my friend. I'm officially at my wit's end.

February 20, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  53. Karl from SF, CA

Well, Jack, I am still functional. I don't have much hair left to pull out and I don't need Jack Daniels. I have Jack Cafferty to keep my head on straight.

February 20, 2009 at 6:01 pm |
  54. Frank, Pickerington Ohio

I'm mad as hell – not at the bailout efforts, but at the wall street tycoons, bankers, and politicians, that have presided over the greatest transfer of the nations wealth from the working class of this nation, to those that derive their wealth by trickery and timing of monetary transactions using other peoples savings resulting in an ever increasing wealth inequality. To all those people that haven't contributed one iota of real product for the betterment of society – but now have 2nd homes in the Hamptons, or are sheltering millions of theit undeserved dollars in off shore accounts, you should all go to hell.

February 20, 2009 at 6:01 pm |
  55. Matt, NY, NY

Rage, Jack, Rage. Now, we have TARF, intended to 'help' the hedge funders and private equity firms that hold the reins of commercial bank credit. We, the taxpayers, are guaranteeing the risk of these swine so that commercial banks can start lending to us again? I wish I could feel burnout. I feel only rage, Jack, rage.

February 20, 2009 at 6:03 pm |
  56. Mariana

Any penalty will be applied to Nancy Pelosi for her shamefull trip to her native country,Italy,on taxpayers expenses?
    It is ridiculous how government people abuse and take advantages of the system after they try to show care about country and people's problems in difficult times.

February 20, 2009 at 6:06 pm |
  57. Ahzam, Michigan

Jack,

We have a Wall Street bailout, an auto bailout, and a housing bailout. Now, even a Bernie Madoff bailout! Come on now.

February 20, 2009 at 6:06 pm |
  58. stan march

bail out?

I'm ready to buy a one way ticket to the Caribbean. At least my heating costs will go down!

Costa Rica is looking very good, as is Panama.

February 20, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  59. Bill Douglass

I started watching more CNN and agree with Cafferty

February 20, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  60. Sherry Cravens Indianapolis Indiana

When I start feeling sorry for the fat cats of wall street. My shrink told me tuesday I need to be commited for thinking crazy.

February 20, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  61. Jan

Can't afford Jack anymore, had to switch to Evan Williams. It sure goes down easy watching CNN.

February 20, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  62. Trey in NYC

Jack, my bailout fatigue comes when I hear yet another news story expecting miracle cures in a months' time. This whole mess that the Republicans got us into is going to take a very long time to get out of. Patience is a virtue.

February 20, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  63. Adrian Eversoll

When you find youself wondering what happened to Paris Hilton.

February 20, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  64. Kelvin Martin

Fatigue? What fatigue? Are you kidding Jack? I have PMS everyday and I am not even a woman. Do they make a medicine for that if you are a man?

February 20, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  65. Pacific Northwest

It is the vultures circling, bankers, auto builders, and securities/insurance folks. Nationalize the three. Manage them for customer service and satisfaction, and no losses. They were unregulated and violated this privilege.

February 20, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  66. Bob in Dallas

You guys need to stop asking these kind of questions. You act like it is fun out here. We have all lost our nest eggs, many have lost their house and/or their job. This is not a game show on this side of the tube!

February 20, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  67. Buck Johnson

Jack I just mailed in my mortgage payment for next month minus the check. I explained to the bank that they had already been paid my mortgage payment due to the fact I am a taxpayer. In 15 years Ive never been late but if my bank can afford executive bonuses and luxury retreats then they can afford me a payment holiday. Thanks from Ga.

February 20, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  68. vern-t anaheim,ca

i likw jack daniels and wish i had some now but i am not suffering from bailout fatigue but suffered when george w. bush was president

February 20, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  69. Debbie in CA

When I put my Sep ira statement in the file without opening it...

February 20, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  70. ray brooklyn

jack the sign for me is that my water bill is going up.every time i hear
    these guys open their mouths i feel an overwhelming urge to take a shower if you get what i mean jack .one thing you're wrong about though is i'm reaching for cognac not jack daniels.god help us

February 20, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  71. Deepak -Woodridge, IL

I am suffering .....Period..

Bailout fatigue is only a small symptom to a major disease...which is going to make us all comatose soon...

February 20, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  72. Rodney Brooklyn, NY

Jack,
    Its that same signs as Bush administration fatigue. Total disgust, wanting to throw objects at the tv, and thinking "what nerve."
    Rodney, Bklyn

February 20, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  73. Pamela Damm

I no longer consider myself a CNN junkie. I turn off the news more often than not because I'm so tired of hearing about how terrible things are. I have resorted to House Hunters and The Dog Whisperer.

February 20, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  74. Nancy Uggla

We have fatigue from eight years of George Bush. We have fatigue from not knowing what happened to the first TARP money. We have fatigue from the falling stock market and trying to find a mattress where we can stuff our savings. We have fatigue from the all the people who will NOT try to work together to solve our problems. We have fatigue from listening to the Republicans tear apart President Obama daily – no matter what he is trying to do. Mostly, we have fatigue from praying for our President and his cabinet and our congress because they need all of the prayers we can send.
    Nancy
    Hot Springs Village, AR

February 20, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  75. Michael W

Having to listen to it on the new 24 hours a day!

February 20, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  76. Joe in VA

Jack,

My wife is suffering from bail out fatigue and it is making her as grumpy as you.

February 20, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  77. Adrian Eversoll

When you start wishing we could invade another country.

February 20, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  78. SLEPIE

I'm not wore out yet but I'm almost there. I support some of the bailout or recovery plan , but it doesn't matter now because what is done, is did, it is going to be there untill. We can not get fatigued. It is what it is. But can I get more than $400. I don't own a home!

February 20, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  79. nolybab (Wyckoff, NJ)

Five signs you’re suffering from bailout fatigue?

1) You know as much about what’s going on as the politicians.
    2) You’re giving advice to friends to buy gold.
    3) You have 6-months of water and food storage
    4) You’re wondering if you should skip paying next months mortgage
    5) You’re planning to work extra hard on the weekend and volunteering to give up some of your pay in the hopes of demonstrating solidarity with your employer…(just in case)

February 20, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  80. Chris S from California

One symptom: When you've considered moving from this country.

February 20, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  81. David

when you are the one being rescued and you have a problem with how the rescuer is rescuing you!

February 20, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  82. The Alfreds

Yesterday after hearing about the Dow closing at it's lowest, I caught myself crossing a busy street to get a penny. I don't know which one would've made me happier, getting the penny or getting hit by a car.

February 20, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  83. Beth

waht are the sings? I am tolltay icnoreeht.

Guilford, CT

February 20, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  84. Adrian Eversoll

When the Bimbos on Fox News start sounding intelligent.

February 20, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  85. Beth from LA

Bailout fatigue starts with partisan bickering fatigue.

This is the worst economic crisis in decades.
    The GOP needs to STOP obstructing, get NEW ideas stop spending 200% of their time bashing all things Obama and Democrat.
    I'm sick of it.
    Obama is reaching across the aisle, but the GOP are too busy complaining about anything and everything. Stop the obvious politics as usual and work WITH OUR ELECTED PRESIDENT.

And Rush LImbaugh and Steele needs to be bound, gagged and thrown in the looney bin so they stops inciting divisiveness.

February 20, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  86. Bruce/ Salt Lake City

Jack I've gotten to the point of just tuning out the news anymore, and have started contemplating other ways to spend my spare time. So, #1 If the we are in a tail spin, I'm taking up sky diving, hell all the ceo's in this county have golden parachutes. #2 Take some time to rename our banking system, since it appears to be heading for Nationalizing, how about United States Office of Banks, shortened to "U.S.O.B's" take that Citi group. And finally #3 Bailout, Sellout, I'm out.

February 20, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  87. Malcholm, Inside the Beltway

When the bank CEOs, Congress and Wall Street all go out for a drink to celebrate the Dow JUST falling 100 points and CNN reports that the government is announcing another plan to “stimulate” the economy even though the last few didn’t stimulate anything except for me being tired of bailing out all the banks that were supposed to stop the fall.

February 20, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  88. gerald

they gotta be printing money to cover these bailouts. it;s like when I used to, play monoply. that was a fun game. if congress is getting used to voting for these bailouts they have gotta have a sense of humor every time they do this. otherwise it;s no longer a game. but every time they do this it sems like monoply money all over again.

February 20, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  89. Roland (St George, UT)

It's when chocolate won't even cheer you up.

February 20, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  90. glenn andrew

I am tired of the Democrats calling pork barrel expenditures "bailouts." What they are really doing is shoveling into the sinking boat an unneeded ballast of liberal expenditures that are at once ill-timed and ill-advised.

February 20, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  91. Adrian Eversoll

When the news that Iran may have a nuclear weapon is the good news.

February 20, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  92. Jacob

No sign of bailout fatigue until the money trickles down the food chain, and there are jobs.

London

February 20, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  93. claire from Fenwick, Ontario

Good question Jack. I'd give you a great answer if my mood didn't actually follow the bouncing ball called the stock market. and give me whiplash. And, to add grist to the mill, my irritable bowel is acting up again. So, until the banks actually start lending each other money again, I say IBS on it.

February 20, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  94. Ihab

The bailout is like putting a bandaid on your leg, after being beaten off by a Shark.

February 20, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  95. Star

This is why the rest of the world sometimes view Americans as fickle and shallow in their ways, refusing to grow up. So, we are already taking opinion polls about whether the President is improving the economy or not. He is expected to waive some magic wand and make everything perfect for us within the first month of his presidency, when this decay has been steadily eating into the system for almost a decade now, if not longer. Please, let us show some character and let us remember that this president is a human being like us, and he needs our support and positive atitudes to make the changes we so desire happen. Or we might be working against the very thing we desire.

February 20, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  96. Kirk and Sue Johnson

Where do we start, Jack? Do we only have 140 characters? My wife and I will keep it brief... GM has more hands than an octopus, the banks have tighter purse strings than a duck's a** in springtime, some Governors are cutting off their nose to spite their face and Wall St continues with doom & gloom, while my wife & I continue to see hope for a country that should be completely be self-sufficient and able to look after it's own. Drop the "socialist" implications and pour another Jack... or Jim or Johnnie. And if it's still too tough to watch and see the history being made right before our eyes, then turn the channel... to the Simpsons.

Kirk & Sue
    Newberry, SC

February 20, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  97. Patrish

I kiss the 'badge reader' every work day morning when my badge works as the security guard looks ascance. I scan my checking account to see if the government has begun deducting the bailouts directly from my account. I'm down to bread and water just in case. I sigh heavily as each credit card I own sends me the dreaded...'Your APR is now 50%'. I'm planning my vegetable garden so I can eat. AND I HAVE A JOB! And so far, I can make my payments...mortgage, utilities, etc. I'm 57 and am realizing I need to work until I'm 90! And I'm tired...I'm very tired...

February 20, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  98. Rebecca

Jack,

I'm not sure about the bailout fatigue, but I do know people are suffering recession fatigue. As the economy continues to tank, unemployment continues to rise, reports of more pilfering of the tax payers bailout money and daily news reports of this week's newest Wall Street money rapist surfaces, I'm afraid we are going to see people start to snap. When you've lost your job, home, retirement fund, you're out on the street with your family and all you can hear are a bunch of pundits and politicians piss, moan and groan, and play partisan politics, you're going to start seeing people lose it. We don't need to push people over the cliff and that's just where they're heading. The constant negativity is going to cause adult Columbine events all over our nation and I urge news stations and producers to apply caution. People have too much pressure and too much noise. They can't keep taking it–and we don't think we've hit the bottom yet! Jack, this has an explosive potential and we don't need to be standing around in the aftermath scratching our heads and asking ourselves how it happened or what the signs were.

February 20, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  99. Harry Lime

When you get tired of seeing Barack Obama every day on the television telling us how bad it all is.
    Harry
    Tampa

February 20, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  100. Ihab

The bailout is like putting a bandaid on your leg, after being bitten off by a Shark.

February 20, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  101. Robert Schlund

Jack,
    I went from cheap beer to cheap whiskey,instead of two aspirins in the morning I now take tow three times a day.
    But if you really want to find out the answers to your questions Google
    Trilateral Commission 2008 there the ones running the world.

Welder Bob

February 20, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  102. Jerry Jackson

bailout fatique is when you reach for the scotch before reaching
    for the remote to turn on CNN each day.

JERRY IN COLORADO

February 20, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  103. D. Peterson

Bailout fatigue.....the beginnings of feeling disenfranchised. I am tired of every time I turn the TV on, someone has their hand out. When did this country become so "You owe me" and not "responsible" for what we do? I think there is enough blame to go around in Washington without always blaming one man. This has been building since I was in my 30s and I am now past 65. I never have had much but what I have, I am responsible for. I am tired of the lies, doom and gloom, and the line that "government" can do everything. We are Americans first and we are better than this. Come on people, reach down and reach deep and lets quit being a country of "give me and you owe me people".

February 20, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  104. Joan

Jack,

Signs of bailout fatique? That a kind and decent man like President Obama who has accomplished more in one month than Bush did in eight years. You're kidding? Fatique, that all Repulican's can do is 'bellyache' and offer no solutions of their own. Give me a second, I've got to catch my wind from all this Republican bull. It's amazing to me that Bush ran this country into the ground, oops sorry Jack that whistling in my ears must be, naw, it couldn't be all the hot air coming out of those Republican windbags. We love you Jack! Oops, had to take a breather, must be that 'bailout fatique' coming on again.

Joan in Boise, Idaho

February 20, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  105. Joyce

Jack, I am suffering severe bailout fatigue from reading all the comments from people suffering bailout fatigue. I'm wondering if
    every comment on here is from people who have lost their job?
    If not, they out to be singing "halleujah" and giving thanks. Of
    course everyone spends too much time "commenting" instead of
    doing something positive. This all fatigues me. Good night!

February 20, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  106. Paula I. Williams

Jack, my bailout fatigue has caused me to gain 20 pounds since the Wallstreet Boys got their money.

I don't want a bailout. I just want my husband to be able to go to his job and get his check every Friday. Right now he is holding two checks that aren't any good because his employer can't get money out of the people he contracted the work from.

I don't want to be dependent on the government ...jobs, jobs, jobs is what we need.

I only put the amount of money from my paycheck and my husbands (if and when he gets to cash them) in the bank for bills, because I trust no one anymore..meaning the banks, the Goverment, Wallstreet.

As far as listening to all the news regarding the bailout, it is ever so depressing. I have been changing channels. Anything with some humor. Laughter is still the best medicine.

February 20, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  107. Janet

Bailout fatigue?

Jack, Putting a mental midget in the White House for 8 years was FATIGUE! How could Americans not see this coming? The failed presidency of George W. Bush has lead this country towards a depression. Nice goin' Republicans.

February 20, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  108. Jan van Buuren

My fatigue mode is caused by the ignorance of governments and so called "professors of economics". Either they are stupid OR corrupt. It has become quit clear that the uncontrolled Fractional Banking Model is not build on integrity and therefore only works in a "unlimited environment". In a constraint space (like our planet) this model has its limits. Our planet needs a sustainable model instead of a growing model based on debt. Banks cannot be the fundament of the economy as well as being a profit seeking company IN the economy. The two are contradicting. They always have been. Abraham Lincoln was killed for understanding this.

When does everybody else does, I wonder?

Jan, Netherlands

February 20, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  109. billy

my hepatitis c symptoms are getting worse from ballout anxiety...knowing that i can't afford treatments and all that money is going where? i'm dissapointed with the whole mess..

February 20, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  110. Beth from LA

Bailout fatigue will stop for me when I stop getting upset watching MSM interview complainer after complainer about it.
    Start showing us where the stimulus is working, that will instill some confidence in us again.
    Show us where our government is working together FOR us.
    Show us the good side of our government, I'm tired of seeing and hearing the complaints all day long on my tv.
    Personally I think this 24/7 complaining is KEEPING us from having the very HOPE that Obama is working the same 24/7 trying to give us.

February 20, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  111. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Jack,

President Obama said yesterday while visiting Canada that he loves this country...allow me to return the sentiment to all of you and your country!

God Bless you all!

February 20, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  112. Mike (NC)

I knew I was tired of the topic, but I believe my dog has provided the best example of fatigue to date. Everytime the term "bailout" is uttered on the television, he starts whining, jumps off the couch and vigorously scratches at his ears.....as if trying to knock them off. Now that's fatigue!! I am unable to describe his reaction to the "stimulus package" without slapping a "R" rating on this blog.

February 20, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  113. Mari in Indiana

Bailout fatigue shows when we are all intently listening to the nonsensical situation of the 14-kid mother.

By the way.....it was a clip on CNN right as she had the 8 children, where her Father was yelling at reporters saying "I have enough money to take care of my daughter and ALL her children". Well, where the hell is he now? There was a story weeks ago that he was out of the country.......doing what? He's supposed to be here taking care of his 18 grandchildren & daughter, as he openly stated to the American public on that media clip, instead of laying the burden on the taxpayers of America.

February 20, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  114. Adrian Eversoll

When we can tolerate business as usual.

February 20, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  115. Paul

Jack, If the consumer and business are not spending, that only leaves the government. Economics says spending is required to get us out of this mess. We got out of the depression not because there was a war to fight, but because of the war, the government put everyone to work from Rosie the riviter to GI Joe. Although much of what was built was used up or trashed in the war,when it was over we had $$ inour pockets-the rest is history

February 20, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  116. Douglas Gault

Jack you’re my hero

I am fatigued to the point of going out and selling apples. With this golden shower flowing out of Washington, I know my bank is getting there share but I haven’t benefited from a single drop of a dime into my account. If we are redefining trickle down economics, it’s not working, and probably never will.

Las Vegas, nv

February 20, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  117. David James

My signs of bailout fatigue are - well, continuous fatigue - and the daily urge to throw up. Banks continue to build multi-million dollar multi-story buildings they don't need and obvioulsy can't afford, while I continue to bear my five thousand dollar credit card debt with no hope of bailout help.

February 20, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  118. Adrian Eversoll

When you leave for Canada only to find out they have built a 3000 mile fence to keep us out.

February 20, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  119. Gigi

My husbands friends are coming to his happy hour on the patio instead of the neighbor hood bar.

February 20, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  120. franMcG

I am sick of bail out news. I choose to watch old Perry Masons and CSI shows to avoid the dismal news. Maybe the news media needs to shut up about the whole thing and just wait it out.

bellingham WA

February 20, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  121. Adrian Eversoll

When you start denying the recession.

February 20, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  122. Marcus from Tempe, AZ

Jack, if there's one thing that fatigues me from the economic situation it is the fact that every single penny of that money dolled out by the government to the failing banks and businesses would have been unnecessary had someone been keeping an eye out. With that said, I am glad that something is being done to stop this freefall of our economy.

February 20, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  123. Jean

The only fatigue I have is getting over the Bush Admin. plus his administration. Now I'm getting fatigue that the Republicans are so angry that that messed up big time, lost the election = extremely bitter, resulting in blocking everything Pres. Obama is trying to do in order to get us out of this mess. Face it, this is going to take a LONG time to repair all the damage from the passed eight years!! – Paitience people.

February 20, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  124. Doug , FeedingHills , Mass.

I'm sick of it all Jack . I don't like financial institutions, banks,mortgage companies,brokerage firms etc. . And, I especially don't like the people that run them. You know,those CEO'S that scramble out the back door with all the money they can carry ,leaving everyone else high and dry in there wake. At least we probably will never have to worry about our friends at the big oil and drug companies,where business is always great.. If they ever go under, then we'll all have something to "ASK OUR DOCTOR ABOUT".

February 20, 2009 at 6:41 pm |
  125. Darryl

When ask my wife whats for bailout when i mean whats for dinner.or jokeing with the kids when i tell them i need a bailout to get them to school.

February 20, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  126. JW Scott

Jack,
    Actually, Im not suffering from any bailout fatigue. Im very hopefuly haven seen all of the fast action Obama is taking. I think the original bailout did what it was supposed to do, calm the markets...have we already forgotten how bad it was that day, that week? Paulson did the only thing he could. Obama and Geithner are doing the same thing too. I tell you I would be much more weary if the government wasn't taking the actions it is. We havent felt any of it yet and until we do Ill be weary of all who take action to delay any and all of the bailout. And that includes journalists who start whining about what must be the most difficult situation the group in Washington has ever faced. Its the Republicans sitting on their behinds and when this thing turns (economy) and it will, they are going to be so sorry.

February 20, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  127. Jerry Jackson

Dear Jackson,

Bailout fatique is when you reach for the Scotch before reaching for
    the remote each day to turn on CNN.

Jerry in Colorado

February 20, 2009 at 6:45 pm |
  128. Scott in Canada

The automakers are suffering from bailout fatigue already, and the nation is probably willing to tolerate the housing bailout Obama's doing since everyone agrees it was such a big issue and no one's touched it.

However, a lot of people are suggesting another trillion dollar stimulus before the end of the year, another multi-trillion dollar bank bailout, and who-knows-how-many new bailouts might come up for discussion in the near future (remember the porn bailout?) and I don't think the public would even somewhat want to stomach these kind of additional bailouts.

February 20, 2009 at 6:46 pm |
  129. Adrian Eversoll

When China is investing more money in US Securities, than in their own military.

February 20, 2009 at 6:46 pm |
  130. Adrian Eversoll

When Onion News Network and CNN are running the same stories.

February 20, 2009 at 6:49 pm |
  131. Eric Bracke, Fort Collins, CO

denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. I'm actually starting to be interested in the Octu-Mom – I must in depression.

February 20, 2009 at 6:49 pm |
  132. Laurie (Sacramento)

Every day now we hear from those who want us to forget that President Obama inherited this mess and is not responsible for creating the need for outrageous federal spending. It's too soon to shift focus from the Shrub's responsibility for our demise, and it is tiring to listen to those who are eager for us to do so.

February 20, 2009 at 6:52 pm |