February 17th, 2009

Worried about losing your job?

From CNN's Jack Cafferty:

The U.S. economy is hemorrhaging jobs. Almost 2 million have been lost in the last three months, but it turns out most Americans are not worried about losing their job.

Worried about losing your job?

Job seekers fill out applications at a California job fair.

A new USA Today-Gallup poll shows 68% of workers polled say they haven't been laid off in the last 6 months and aren't worried about getting a pink slip in the near future. Two percent say they have lost their job in that time - while 29% are worried about that happening. Also, 41% say they have family or close friends laid off in the last 6 months.

Meanwhile – there are some who suggest there can be an upside to losing your job. The Bishop of London says it actually might be a blessing in disguise. "Sometimes, people seem to be relieved to get off the treadmill and to be given an opportunity to reconsider what they really want out of life," said the bishop. He describes the so-called "crackberry" culture as being dangerously addictive.

The online magazine Mental Floss writes about 8 successful people who were actually grateful when they lost their jobs - including Jerry Seinfeld, Michael Bloomberg, Robert Redford and Bill Bellichick. After getting the boot from one gig, each of these folks was inspired to reach even higher levels of success.

Still, may not be totally convincing for the millions of Americans out of work and struggling to make ends meet.

Here’s my question to you: How concerned are you about losing your job?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Kerry writes:
Wrong tense for me. I've already lost mine but am still very worried and concerned for everyone else who hasn't. The real downturn is just now starting!

Phil writes:
Lost a great job in 2002. I opened a small business, and it went under in a year. Now I sell real estate. I'm self-employed so there is no pension, no unemployment, no welfare for me. My first job was pushing carts at an A & P Store...I expect that at 60 years old I will end up doing it again. I hate the life I lead and I don't expect that it will ever get better.

Larry writes:
Not at all. You see, I am a police officer in Trenton NJ, and crime is a growth industry in Trenton. The irony is, I will probably make more money in overtime due to a hiring freeze (to save money).

Greg from Detroit writes:
Worried? Yes. Just last week my job (in the steel industry) gave 22 people a half-hour notice that their services were no longer needed. Worried went out the window a while ago. I'm downright scared.

Adrienne writes:
I was once not concerned at all being that I am an accountant and it is tax season. However, now that accounting firms have been "outsourcing" U.S. tax prep to India for the last couple of years I wonder if my firm will replace me with a foreigner in a foreign land. Sad day for Americans when tax returns aren't even prepared in this country, and the firm doesn't even have to disclose to the client what country their return was prepared in.

Edouard in New York writes:
Frankly, Jack, I'm fine with what’s happening. As a freelancer, I’ve been living in fear for years.

Sue in Idaho writes:
Jack, I'm a business manager so I get up every day not only worried about my job but the jobs of those I supervise. I work in health care. But let's face it: nobody's job is safe, not even yours - although I'd hate to see you go!

Filed under: US Economy
  1. phil from Toronto

I'm "self-employed" selling Real Estate....can't get Unemployment Insurance...can't even get welfare...can't retire...and can't make any money working for a commission......what is a 60 year old guy to do?
    My first job was pushing carts at a grocery store...I hope its not my last.

February 13, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  2. Conor in Chicago

Totally. I am a admissions advisor for a nursing college. Even though a nurse getting a higher education is the best thing they could do in order to promote their career and even just keep their job they are so scarred of taking on loan debt that they are just not enrolling in college. Couple that with the fact that my school thought we were going to grow by leaps and bounds (which we did for a while) and hired a whole bunch of new advisors to take on all of the new students we expected. Now nobody is going to school and I foreshadow some serious layoffs coming. Since I am one of many who's numbers are not up to par I have become very worried in deed.

February 13, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  3. Marty Martin

Jack, I'am a disabled 62 year old woman who is crying every day for all the people, who are hard worker's,either have already lost their job's or going to lose their job's. I am so embarressed and concerned that OUR GOVERMENT has allowed this to happen to these People...Their People...I'm sure GOD is embarrassed also. My Prayer's go out to My FELLOW AMERICANS. Clinging to HOPE in AL.

February 13, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  4. Frank Canada

Being a Realtor I not at all concerned about losing my job. However, doing a job that you have to pay to work at the concern isn't as much about losing my job as it is about going broke while trying to do it.

February 13, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  5. Darin in Denver

Very scared Jack. I come in every morning worried that my boss is going to pull me into his office and give me the bad news. It's frustrating not knowing day to day what to expect; I'm a wreck!

February 13, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  6. JR in Norfolk VA

Very, and I work for the US government. The way this Administration and Congress are running things, we may not even have that in a couple of years anymore!

February 13, 2009 at 1:38 pm |
  7. Paul Austin,Texas

Very concerned and pray daily it does not happen because in this day and age a company can close it's doors overnight and leave all of it's employees on the street without any notice to anyone.

February 13, 2009 at 1:38 pm |
  8. Dave from Orlando

Naaaah! Not at all. I got the safest job in the country – unemployed/under employed for the last 5 years.

February 13, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  9. Dave, Brooklyn, NY

Can’t lose what you don’t have. What I am concerned about is paying for stuff – like food, heat, gas, you know little incidentals like that.

February 13, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  10. Ruby

I am not worried about losing my job, I am worried about WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO US ! WHERE ARE LABOR LAWS?
    They said no raise, no retirment funds, oh and we might cut your wages to whatever we want and guess what-no unemployment claim for you. So they can pay me minimum wage as long as I work 40 hours a week and I cant get unemployment!!!!!! Already given the job of a second person have twice the responsibility and demand.

Please it should be illegal to be allowed to cut a wage to minimum wage as long as they give you 40 hours a week. oh but if they cut your hours well thats a different story. This is a global company and I dont make much as it is, the healthcare is terrible. Thank goodness I have the husbands healthcare of I could not survive.
    WAISTED SPENDING LAST YEAR AND NOW THIS IS WHAT WE GET. GOSH HOW DUMB IS CORPORATE GETTING! Driving for hours for every meeting to talk??? have they heard of the internet??????
    HOw about not having the entire company drive forever and have them pay for hotel rooms. I am not sure if anyone has a brain that runs corporations these days. As if they didnt know last year this economy was a mess.

February 13, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  11. Steve in Milford,MA

I don't know who the hell The Bishop Of London is. But he clearly has never had to worry about keeping his home and putting food on the table.
    I'm a big fan of liberation. I wanted to quit my job 10 years ago and become a professional golfer. But being able to afford to hit golfballs all day was not in the cards for a newly married middle class guy. So I stuck to the 8-5 routine because I like food and shelter.

A life change would be great. But not now. Because if I were to lose my job now, my life change would involve living in my car. I thank God for the job I have and will do whatever it takes to keep it!

February 13, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  12. DrFrann in CA

My sleep is disrupted. My stomach is upset. I'm hearing it's ok 'right now,' but I can't help wonder how long 'right now' will last. Plus a union I'm in is in complete and utter disarray which is adding to the acid indigestion.

I think no one can be certain right now about anything. And there is concern with every friend I have. We may be in a recession, but the climate is depressing so we work together to keep the mood up.

February 13, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  13. Tina

No cause I am a housewife but I know things are not rosy in part of Texas like my governor has been telling us. I am not stupid and can look around and see houses on the market for many months and car dealers with more cars than they need. I hope things do get better for the people who are stressing over loosing their jobs. Chill out because everything happens for a reason which we don't understand.

February 13, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  14. Tom from Boston

Unless you are wealthy with all your money in gold and t-bills you'd have to be an idiot not to be concerned about losing your job. I know I am. I also know that I'm no Jerry Seinfeld or Robert Redford. The exceptions don't make the rule Jack.

February 13, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  15. David,San Bernardino,CA.

I'm disabled. I have no job to lose.

February 13, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  16. Chris from NY

Sure. Who isn't? Except people like you who are in the media. Once people watches your show or respond to your blog you might still have a job. No wonder the media has little credibility these days.

February 13, 2009 at 2:48 pm |
  17. Nancy, Tennessee

Beware when you get an HR person assigned to your department. That doesn't mean that you are special and the company wants to make sure you are happy in your job. They are putting together severance packages and printing pink slips. This is the new way of handling massive downsizing. Keep you in the dark until one day – one by one they call you to a conference room and hand you your package and have security lead you out of the building like you are some criminal. It is not a good feeling, but my advice is prepare yourself emotionally and get your finances in as good a shape as possible. These are hard times; hope for the best and expect the worst.

February 13, 2009 at 2:55 pm |
  18. Robert Prescott

Jack,

I'm not concerned at all. I lost my job in November, 2007, and although I very much want a job, I have been unsuccessful in securing one yet. Maybe something will happen after I lose my house.

Robert

North Port, Florida

February 13, 2009 at 2:56 pm |
  19. Doug - Dallas, TX

Wish I had one to lose!!

February 13, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  20. Larry from Georgetown, Texas

I can't be worried about something that I don't have today, A JOB. Still looking for one. I'd be glad to be Commerce Secretary.

February 13, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  21. Cindi-Omaha, NE

Jack-I've been out of work for 18 months. I'm just worried about losing my house-and my mind.

February 13, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  22. Gigi in Alabama

I don't work so I don't have to worry about losing something I don't have. I do, however, worry about my sons and daughter. They are all working now, but with the economy the way it is, I can't help but worry about them.

February 13, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  23. Lisa B in Yucca

Not at all Jack. I done lost mine, and my house, a year and a half ago. I am surviving, and struggling, but not worried about losing it anymore.

February 13, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  24. Casey | Sebastopol, CA

Nope, I lost mine after 9/11 and was smart enough to see where the economy was going - I sold my house at the peak of the market, made a profit, went freelance.

I may be suffering in this economy, but the work I get is a direct result of my efforts - and not dependent upon some CEOs next "bonus" oh... excuse me, I mean "award".

February 13, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  25. Jerry Harris

Retired Jack, damn glad my working days are over, my biggest worry now is getting a good tee time at the golf course. Damn tough but someone has to do it. You ever get to Jackosnville Fl. Jack, give me a call and I'll treat you to a round of golf at the King and Bear

February 13, 2009 at 3:42 pm |
  26. Bizz, Quarryville, Pennsylvania

Jack, back during the great depression there were a lot of people still dancing the charleston right up to when the stock market crashed. Then the dancing stopped. The bishop of London has a secure job. That makes it very easy for him to tell people there is something good to come from losing your job. Not too many people have the talent to be a successful comedienne, actor or football coach. There are not that many jobs out there for a person with no experience even if they received the schooling or training to try another career. I think there are a lot of people who are scared but refuse to think about losing their job up until the day the music stops.

February 13, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  27. Rick Medina,OH

Jack,

Two things: first, that bishop is an idiot; second, I wish I had a job to lose.

Rick, OH

February 17, 2009 at 2:45 pm |
  28. Ann from Hampton, New Jersey

At the age of 72 still working in a nursing home. Hopefully, I will be able to work there until I unfortunately become a permanent resident.

February 17, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  29. Kyle Irvine, CA

Jack,
    I am not to concerned about losing my job because everything happens for a reason. Plus I have prepared myself for the worse. It's a comforting feeling for me to know that If I lost my job today, I could keep my standard of living and survive for one year!

The people who have not prepared themselves should be shaking in their boots!

February 17, 2009 at 2:55 pm |
  30. Mickie

VERY! I think it might be soon.

February 17, 2009 at 2:56 pm |
  31. Lisa in GA

Jack, I am not really worried about losing my job, I am barely eating and sleeping now... at least if I do lose my job.... it wouldn't make much of a difference.... I am stressed out either way.

February 17, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  32. David of Alexandria VA

NO - I'm more worried about losing my retirement. I worked damn hard my whole life, lived within my means, saved all I could, borrowed almost never - all with the hope that my reward would come in retirement. Well, the market took care of that and it will be years before I can think that way again.

People who lose jobs get unemployment payments through the downturn and new jobs during the recovery. Not fun, but relatively predictable. When you lose your retirement, no one provides you with un-retirement payments until the market recovers - if you live that long.

What really irks me though is that I played by the rules - so many folks out there (not just the banks) lived so irresponsibly well for too long - and I 'm going to pay for that too.

February 17, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  33. Gigi in Alabama

Since I am retired, that is not my worry. I do, however, worry about my kids future employment. They are all working now, but with the economy like it is, I wonder if it can possibly last. Let's get that stimulus package working, so that our anemic economy can recover and get healthy again.

February 17, 2009 at 2:59 pm |
  34. Larry, Ohio

Jack,I'm retired now, so I don"t really worry about losing my job.I do however worry about losing my country to the socialism that oozes from the halls of our capitol,a country this far left scares me,I hope I won't have to call you comrade in the near future!!!!!!

February 17, 2009 at 3:13 pm |
  35. Roland in St George, UT

Point taken, Jack. I'm ready to coach the Raiders back to success. Just send me a plane ticket to Oakland and I'll be on my way.

February 17, 2009 at 3:17 pm |
  36. Diane/Allentown PA

Jack, I think you'd have to be out to lunch not to think about the prospect of job loss right now. We're foolish to think anyone is safe right now.

February 17, 2009 at 3:21 pm |
  37. Mike - Hot Springs, Arkansas

Well since I am an old retired attorney I do not think that there is much out there for me now. All those plush jobs on Wall Street seem to have been taken.

February 17, 2009 at 3:27 pm |
  38. A ROSE FROM IOWA

In my household there is now no savings, no health insurance, no retirement, no 401K, some of the bills are going to be a little late (as people are paying us late), and fear is flowing instead of air. We're all on the edge. Hopefully work will keep coming and we can continue. Interestingly...there is hope and lots of love. There is lots of support for Obama and for each other.
    US has been through tough times before and has had enemies before, although the enemies were seen as outsiders like WWII, not insiders like bankers and CEO's or the right wing nuts wishing for our failure... That seems very wrong. So very wrong.

February 17, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  39. Jim

Jack,

Not at all. My wife and I are retired. Now if you had asked how concerned I am about landing my next job, I'd have glanced at my latest 401K statement and given it some serious thought.

Jim
    Reno, Nevada

February 17, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  40. Denice

Jack,

My husband works for HP. Today they cut more jobs, luckily he still has one. In Aug he took a mandatory 15% pay cut and in Nov they changed their reimbursement policies...which was in essence another pay cut.

In an email he received from one of the higher powers they said that they continue to cut costs and "higher people in lower cost countries" during these tough economic conditions.

When will our government get their act together? I am so sick of the partisan bickering! I REALLY want ALL American's to call for a CONGRESSIONAL PAY CUT. We are all suffering....it's time they joined in!

Denice
    Omaha, NE

February 17, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  41. Susan from Twn Falls Idaho

No, I have no job. But am I somewhat concerned about my income? Yes, social security and savings only go so far. Being retired is not a guarantee of not being affected by a failing economy. I have faith in what the Obama administration is trying to do have not cut back on spending or philanthropic actions. Let common sense prevail and not let panic guide us.

February 17, 2009 at 4:03 pm |
  42. Betty, San Diego, Ca.

I am retired and I am very concerned about losing my retirement. This is an economic disaster. I may have to start looking for a job.

February 17, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  43. S. Kate Fletcher

Not so much losing my job... but finding one. I, like thousands of others, will graduate college in May. I am an honor student, a double major, president on my honor society and extremely active on campus. All of these qualities might have landed me a well paid position in the past. At the moment though I am grasping for anything and praying I don't have to move back home after four years of independence. It is hard to find a first time job in an ecomony that is laying everyone off!

February 17, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  44. Ondrya in the San Fernando Valley, CA

Not anymore Tony Robbins, I mean Jack. I am highly encouraged after reading your little motivational piece here. If tools like Jerry Seinfeld, Michael Bloomberg, Robert Redford and Bill Bellichick can pull themselves up off the deck after gettng the boot from their seven-figure gigs of fame and fortune and bounce back into eight-figure gigs of fame and fortune, just think what the rest of us insignificant little morons can do with our obscure, meaningless lives. I'm seriously considering getting up to go blow some smoke up my bosses you-know-what right now, so that, in 4 years Jack, you can call me Miss President.

February 17, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  45. Mike, FL

Jack,

Hey with the Illegals that cant get work now, Im very concerned I wont get any either.

February 17, 2009 at 4:51 pm |
  46. Chris from Florida

I was a construction surveyor by trade. I had done this trade for over 15 years. When the construction dried up so did my job. I am now going to college to learn a new trade, Truck driving. I am more worried about not being able to find a job in this career since production of just about everything is slowing if not coming to a complete stop.

If this bill works the way Mr. President seems to think it will then I have nothing to worry about. My schooling will be over in June of 2009. That gives the economy 4 months to start going again. Maybe I can be a long hauler for the green part of the bill.

Good luck Mr. President, and all the American people that is counting on him.

February 17, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  47. Dee in Florida

Any average person who is NOT worried about losing their job must either be in an industry that usually does not suffer too much in economic hard times (like the mortician industry), or must be a talented, genius, entrepreneurial person who was probably in the wrong line of work anyway!

What I'm worried about is:

Will my husband ever find another job? Will it be before we have to move into a tent?

February 17, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  48. KimSmith, Dodge City, Kansas

Worrying won't help, so why go through the misery. If you are a conscientious worker, show up on time, and take your job seriously, then you have done what is within your control. If some corporate dirt-bag wants to increase his salary by firing you, then you can't stop him.

February 17, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  49. Leanna R.

Jack,
    Considering there was job loss in my family last week, very worried. Even though I'm a good employee, it is finding one if I lose the one now that scares the hell out of me.

Leanna R
    Nicholasville, KY

February 17, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  50. karen

Jack, I not concerned anymore. I left a six figure salary because I saw it coming. Not three months after I left my former position, my division was gone. I've seen so many of my counterparts in my former company and associates in other companies leave in the past year. Someone you talked to yesterday is gone today. Now I'm in a position where I make considerably less, but my job is secure, it's not as demanding, and I'm not in an airport every week. I know I'm one of the lucky ones.

K
    Rochester, NY

February 17, 2009 at 5:46 pm |
  51. Dean in So Cal

Why would I answer that question and jinx myself?!?

February 17, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  52. Lisa in New York State

Obviously, the Bishop of London is not at all worried about losing his job, although probably he ought to be. Not to worry, though. He sounds like he'd be right at home on Fox, so maybe he can go off and spout his own personal brand of compassionate conservatism there.

February 17, 2009 at 5:51 pm |
  53. Stefan

My company is "cutting its workforce" right and left. So far, I've survived but I just get a sinking feeling whenever I try to predict what is ahead for me. Its bleak out there, so many qualified people out of work, so few jobs. I'll admit it, im scared.

February 17, 2009 at 5:54 pm |
  54. Edward from Maine

I have already lost mine. I have cleared out my 401k, sold a vacation property (can't sell my primary residence as it is up-side down in value), applied to 100's of jobs and I can't even get a job cleaning rooms at a local resort hotel. (FYI: I have a masters degree and worked in investment compliance until several months ago). I am at the end of my rope. I have not had an interview in 3 months. My wife works – but it doesn't pay too much. We will be bankrupt in a few months, no home, no retirement, no assets – busted.

February 17, 2009 at 5:55 pm |
  55. RRLittle

Until three years ago, I would take a job loss in stride. However, as of two years ago, I now have a premade family complete with child, so things have changed; now, I'm concerned. Couple that to the fact that I'm already working in a sector that is being seriously torn asunder (financial and investments, though only on the tech side of the house), and you can understand the ulcers I am no doubt developing.

February 17, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  56. bill terry

This has all come on the watch of Democrats running congress since 06 and now in complete control of both houses and the presidency. The DJIA has dropped almost 30% since we elected our first socialist president and he outsourced the economic package to Pelosi and Reid. It is their economy – they broke it and they own it.

Jack – you cheerled this debacle during the election campaign. Happy now?

February 17, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  57. Arlene, Illinois

I'm a senior who is retired and don't have a job but my daughter lost her job last Sept. and will probably move back home to live with
    her retired and broke parents. Good thing we didn't throw out the
    roll- a- way bed.

February 17, 2009 at 5:57 pm |
  58. Becky

I'm worried about it, but as a recent college grad, I'm more worried about finding a job to start my career!

February 17, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  59. Lynn

Are you kidding me? Jerry Seinfeld, Michael Bloomberg, Robert Redford and Bill Bellichick? Of course, they aren't concerned about losing their jobs. They are rich. Jeez.
    I am very very concerned about losing my job, my house and my retirement.....and I think anybody that isn't hasn't been paying attention.

February 17, 2009 at 5:59 pm |
  60. Alan

Jack,
    I am relatively concerned with losing my job since i work in the aviation industry which has also shed jobs at a high rate. But one cannot allow the current economy impact their job performance, that's the quickest ticket to the soup line. Everybody's talking about how bad it is, if we focus on our little sphere's of influence and the worst happens.... at least we gave it a shot

February 17, 2009 at 5:59 pm |
  61. brian priester

No, Jack, I'm not at all concerned with losing my job. As luck would have it, I am amongst the 2 million or so that have already lost their jobs in the past few months. So, with no job to lose, there's no cause for concern. My concern will be finding a new one around here before my unemployment runs out.

February 17, 2009 at 6:01 pm |
  62. Lisa C. from Chicago, IL

I my husband and I still have jobs and had to call up my friend and tell her we can no longer attend her out of state wedding a month from now. My husband and I are scared that in a month we won't have a job and won't be able to afford to go out of town.

February 17, 2009 at 6:01 pm |
  63. Corey

I find it hard to believe that 68% of workers polled are NOT worried about losing their jobs. My relative viewpoint is undoubtedly skewed considering my company has been laying people off left and right for the past several weeks. I've worked in the semi-conductor industry for almost ten years and I've successfully dodged the layoff bullet every time but this round of layoffs is like nothing I've ever experienced. In the past, when layoffs are announced, there is generally a date scheduled for that occurrence and everyone is aware. Unfortunately this is not the case for my current company. I really have no idea who will or will not be with the company anymore on a day to day basis. I've got to admit, it makes concentrating on my job a bit tough.

Corey
    Austin, TX

February 17, 2009 at 6:01 pm |
  64. Dick Miller

Winston-Salem, North Carolina
    How concerned am I? Extremely!!! I work for a financial institution that was taken over by another bank late last year. As with any merger, layoffs are sure to follow and, if we use as a yardstick 10% of the acquired company employees being laid off, I'm talking about 12,000 plus layoffs. Add in the horrible economy......I think I need a drink.

February 17, 2009 at 6:02 pm |
  65. Ron

There is no upside to losing your job. Right now it would be really , really scary. I think those blowhards on talk radio should lose their big paying jobs. Let them find a real job.

February 17, 2009 at 6:02 pm |
  66. Sue from Redwood City

I've been on unemployment since December.

February 17, 2009 at 6:05 pm |
  67. Dennis Wilcox

I wonder how the bishop would talk if he lost his job?

February 17, 2009 at 6:06 pm |
  68. Leslye

Jack:
    I have already been informed that my contract to teach will not be renewed for the 2009-2010 school year. And it probably is a blessing in disguise. I teach at a junior college where students are referred to as "customers." At the same time, so many students cannot conjugate a verb or write a clear sentence. Since I always teach for those students who really want to learn and improve, I have already become the enemy. I am out of here. I paid off my house and all of my credit card debt three years ago. I'll ride out the recession and let the junior college I used to work for destroy itself by becoming everything education is not supposed to be.

February 17, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  69. Donna-Bemidji MN

My husband is the sole bread winner in this household, and indeed we are worried about him losing his job. I have been out of the workforce for 14 years and am finding it difficult to get back in, especially during this economic nightmare. My husband works at a board plant that makes Oriented Strand Board that is used in the construction industry. They are the only plant still running in the state of Minnesota, and one of 6 still running in his parent company. If things don't pick up quickly, he may lose his job. Then we'll be hurting. Although, being unemployed and poor seems to be the in-thing these days. The poor seem to get more help than the middle class, even with the new President!

February 17, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  70. Tina from Chicago

I already lost it...a year ago.

I no longer qualify for unemployment...will the stimulus plan help me?

February 17, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  71. Al Patrizio

Yes, in fact I was told I will be laid off 3/6/2009 because H1b and L1 workers are taking my place.

February 17, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  72. K.M. Dailey

I'm sorry, but what job? Most people I know my age (18-22) are unemployed or trying to stay in school because there are NO jobs to be found. It's been that way in this town for 2 years. Where have you been?
    Well, that's California for you I guess. Can't get a job unless you sell your soul, or spend a massive fortune on education that may not even help you get a job! Junior Colleges are cutting back in this area, and it's kind of hard to find a job if you have no extra education! Thanks for bringing this up though, it needs to be talked about. Badly.

February 17, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  73. Ellie from Old Bridge NJ

I work in sales, am a long time single parent with two kids in college, so worried is an understatement. I've survived the last year by pulling the kids from the better schools they got into and putting them in community colleges, paying down what little credit card debt I had and using my debit card and working from 7 am to 11pm at least 6 days a week. I worry about every email I send to management, every sales call that cancels, am being hammered to close sales,, all in all, every waking moment (which are almost all since I can't sleep) is spent trying to overachieve in an under achieving environment.

February 17, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  74. Brandt from NC

Being an Army officer in the midst of 2 ongoing wars – one thing I do not have to worry about is job security. Anyone out there need a job? We could use the help!

February 17, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  75. Pamela

Give it time. I think the economy will turn around soon. I am a 59 year old female truck driver. Just waiting for the loads that moves what America wants not just what they need. Remember Truck Drivers move America yet they were not mentioned in the Package!

February 17, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  76. smurfs

not worried, I work for a big bank...just waiting for the next paycheck.

February 17, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  77. Will in Atlanta

I don't feel bad for people in real estate and mortgage brokers who made a killing but were too stupid to save any money. We are in this mess because of greed and plain stupidity.

February 17, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  78. Joan

I am a teacher in Florida. The county I work in along with all of the neighboring counties have announced layoffs of hundreds of teachers at the end of this school year. The first three years of employment as a teacher, we work under annual contracts. Therefore, when laid off, we do not qualify for unemployment!

I am not afraid of being laid off – I know I will be. I have a master's degree, dual certification and experience that costs the county more money than a newly graduated teacher with no experience.

As a single mother – I am quite fearful of what the future holds. And I am realistic enough to know that the monies from the stimulus bill will not reach the levels needed to salvage this problem in the near future!

February 17, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  79. Debbie Hanover, PA

Jack how can you worry about what you don't have. I have been unemployed for seven months and no good news insight. I am just worrying about keeping my home and paying bills that go with it and food on the table.

February 17, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  80. Perplexed in Pennsylvania

Jack, I'm not worried about losing my job. I'm worried about not finding one. I'm a student and about to finish my Masters. If I can't find a job, what in the world are all those college graduates with Bachelors degrees going to do come May?

February 17, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  81. Sandra

I'm a hospice nurse so my job is very secure. But as Medicare dollars get tighter, the size of my patient case load will increase.

February 17, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  82. Jason in Cincy

I lost mine last week. 8 years with the company and a member of management. My position was "eliminated". No warning, no severence, nothing.

February 17, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  83. terry

Too late. My husband and I are self-employed builders. We've already lost several projects and the clients from our last major project won't pay and we are heading to court. We're calling it quits on the marriage and we're trying desperately to hold onto our house so that we can sell it this spring when the real estate market 'returns'. Our kid's college funds are dwindling to zero and they are forced to take out personal loans to fund their living expenses as there are no part time jobs for them.

We're beyond scared and I'm just trying to not drink too much.

February 17, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  84. Kelso

Yeah,

Jerry Seinfeld, I suppose if I had multi – millions from a sitcom I could quit my job too. However; I have a mortgage, wife, kids and a savings account, needless to say, I don't have millions packed away for a rainy day.

As for retirement, I watch it inch further and further away daily. I suppose nothing will matter, if these ridiculous bailouts continue, since the Green Back will be worth absolutely nothing! My retirement plan equals, moving to the mountains with a tent, 2 hogs and planting a garden. Fincances, jobs and the internet will be pointless by the time Fiscal Accountability 101 (Bailout Mania) is over.

February 17, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  85. Kevin

Finding exactly what you want to do in life is important, and may offer some reconciliation between workers and the fate of the economy, but what about students? We're already sure of what we want to do in life, and even with a college degree, the best jobs are slipping away. What to do after graduation?
    Kevin- Jackson, NJ.

February 17, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  86. John from Savov Tx

Too late for me, Jack. I already lost mine and trying to get another job is proving next to impossible. If I hear another HR manager who doesn't have a clue how to assess qualification tell me "you're overqualified....." I will go ballistic. I'm 56 and you and I both know that over qualified is another way of saying age discrimination.

At the end of March I will be out of money and out of my dream home and living in my car...IF I can keep the car.

Adios, Jack.

February 17, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  87. Michael Shea

Jack:

As of "Right Now" I am not worried about losing my job but I do think of it.

I work for the State of New Mexico. We have a strong union(AFSCME Local 1211) that enforces seniority. I am currently one of the more senior employees. The union is also fighting any rifs.

However if we do have to layoff workers I would fight for a four day work week or less hours perday so we don't have to lay off any one. If I have to give up a day's wages I would fill it in with substitute teaching.

I am 61 and if I finally get my military disabilty approved I will retire at age 62 and pursue my political consulting business as an independent contractor or if push comes to shove sell apples on the street corner.

Every body should have a union.

February 17, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  88. Ellen

I work for IBM and they are downsizing heavily and shipping many jobs offshore. Every colleague I have has been concerned they might be downsized soon. Management has driven down incentives for last year and habitually use fear and intimidation to keep all working 80 hour weeks.

February 17, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  89. Bridget

Welcome to Great Depression II......we have always heard that 'charity begins at home' and it is high time we started looking out for the best interests of Americans....forget all the globalization garbage.

February 17, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  90. Larry Parker

Not at all. You see, I am a Police Officer in Trenton NJ, and Crime is a Growth Industry in Trenton. The irony is, I will probably make more money in overtime due to a hiring freeze (to save money).

February 17, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  91. jim

As a high school droopout who makes 60k now as a manager, yes i am very scared of loosing my job. I will never get a job maing what i have built myself up to make in the past 14 years.

February 17, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  92. pat from pa

i don't know who you are talking to in that 62% that aren't worried about losing their jobs. they must be oblivious to what is going on with the economy. i worry every day . have survived 1 layoff, down to working 4 days instead of 5 and more or less told if the next quarter isn't good there will be more layoffs(terminations really).

February 17, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  93. Charlene W.

I work for local government and it has been said "government jobs" are safe from layoffs. However, within the last two months, there are rumblings of possible layoffs. Now, I am even more concerned since California’s layoff of 20,000 state employees. This outlook is not good!

Wow! this gives me a lot to worry about.

February 17, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  94. Roberta in Texas

Job loss is devastating to a family, so I am concerned about the amount of stress due to uncertainty. For most people there is no luxury of using the job loss for contemplation of a new chapter in life. Rather, it is the car payment, rising food costs, and paying for health insurance that occupy the mind.
    Children get hurt when tensions rise. Drinking, child, and spousal abuse increase as nerves get more frayed, and coping strategies go on the blink.

February 17, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  95. Art McCormick

Being self-employed, I have no worry about losing my job, but with the current ecomomic situation I am terrified about having to hold on to it until the day I die.

Carmel, NY

February 17, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  96. Catherine

What job? I'm a college student looking at the failing economy and slowly realizing that that a single mother of two needs the part time job I was going to apply for more than myself. It's depressing realzing the economy is so bad for those of us about to enter it with student loans looming over us.

February 17, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  97. LT in Dallas

I have a double-sided emotion about my standing in the nation's employment status. On one hand, I'm very, very thankful I have a job. I work in an industry that is actually faring very well BECAUSE people are in financial trouble (rent-to-own/payday lending). But on the other hand, I feel really icky about doing so well while others aren't. I feel like I should be suffering along with everyone else.

February 17, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  98. Jim in PA

NO!!!I'm not a bit worried.I work for a small architectural wood working facility.We do work for 10mil.+ homes{more like castles if ya ask me}Before the banks came to washinton in the fall,we had just spent the whole summer barely surviving.One week after the news we became so busy we could hardley keep up!Most of our work comes from inside the beltway,that means we see lots of names that you would see on the doors in washington.Apparently there is a boom in the extremely high end homes,and it seems the worse the economy gets the more work we get!I just wonder how these public servants can afford to give their kids their own library,theater,guest bedroom for thier gusts,kitchen...the list goes on.Not to mention a $6,000 heated dog house!So I must say...NO I'm not worried!Let it tank!

February 17, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  99. Paula Bradford

Already lost mine. I left a job to care for an ailing family member. Unemployment did not apply in this situation and then the bottom fell out of the Nation's economy. There are millions of Americans who, like myself, will not be helped by Obama's Stimulus Program. He's completely forgotten the Administrative and Support Services sectors. The emphasis on infrastructure is okay, but I think it's going to lead to more illegal immigration. We've got two generations of Americans that aren't that into brick and mortar. More attention should have been paid to creating jobs in the areas where more of us excel. I don't know many young men and women who relish the idea of pouring tar.

I wrote a program to address this need, but haven't heard back from any lawmakers.

Paula Bradford, San Francisco, CA

February 17, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  100. Paul M

My hours have been cut to 32 hours/week. It's better than being laid off, but I won't be surprised if they eventually have to lay me off. This economy is the climax of eight years of stupid policy. Let's all give the new President our support with his struggles to fix, in a matter of months, what took years to screw up.

Thanks, Paul

February 17, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  101. Nick

Jack,

Who would have ever thought that I would be grateful to be a quadriplegic collecting disability. What is going wrong with the world.

February 17, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  102. Nancy

I think everyone is afraid of losing their jobs. With this debt and everyone losing their jobs-I am also afraid of how taxes are going to increase within the next year or so.

February 17, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  103. Adrienne

I was once not concerned at all being that I am an accountant and it is tax season. However, now that accounting firms have been "outsourcing" US tax prep to India for the last couple of years I wonder if my firm will replace me with a foreigner in a foreign land. Sad day for American when tax returns aren't even prepared in this country, and the firm doesn't even have to disclose to the client what country their return was prepared in. And par for the course, I don't see other countries sending their tax returns to the US to be prepared. Do you know where your tax return is prepared Jack?

February 17, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  104. Ray

Jack, After 34 years at my current job and 12 years of working the construction trades before that I am not at all worried about losing my job. In fact I look forward to retiring and letting a younger person with a family have the one I now hold. Im in the process of carving out my new sign. "

February 17, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  105. sherry

Actually Jack, I'm not worried about losing my job. You see I'm a waitress and I only cost my boss $2.13 an hour. What I'm worried about is having to live off $2.13 an hour after taxes. (TIPS ARE DOWN AS MUCH AS WALL STREET - ALONG WITH THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE GOING OUT TO EAT
    So, let me ask you, do you think it's funny that someone working in a restaurant should STARVE!

February 17, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  106. Jonathan Brown

Hi Jack,

It's not that much different from 2002. I had a Bachelor's Degree Magna Cum Laude and was out of work until 2004 when I found a job washing dishes for Texas Republicans at their summer home.

From 2005-2008 I put myself through Grad School, and now I have a Master's Degree, no health insurance for almost 7 years now, and still can't find a permanent job with benefits. I hope to God that this Master's Degree will someday pay off and open a door or two for me.

February 17, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  107. YANK IN WHEELING, WV

Jack,

Excellent topic of conversation, especially since I lost my job in December....I must say, I agree with the esteemed Bishop....I feel that more American workers are simply "programmed" to settle for a job simply b/c it has "good benefits", (i.e...health insurance). The American Deram is not what it once was...It used to be to own your home was the American Dream. Obviously, that is no longer the case – it is simply to stave of debt AND foreclosure, unfortunately. Personally, I look at my job loss as an opportunity to "reinvent" myself (I'm 35 tears old) and go back to school and pursue a much more gratifying career than the (corporate/expendable) sales position I have held the for the last 8+ years....

February 17, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  108. JD in Seattle

Yes, I am worried about my job. I have been here 30 years and that used to mean something. I have a pension and savings, but I still worry that it will happen. How long will my money last? Who knows. I have kids in college and I need to continue to help them finish. Someone has got to stop this train before we have to leave the US to find a job overseas where our leaders sent the jobs in the first place. Big business forgot to think about the future and sent the jobs elsewhere to save money and get big profits. Job losses and foreclosures started at the bottom, but I guess they didn't think it would make it's way to the top.
    You would be a fool to think you are immune to this tragedy.

February 17, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  109. Lor from Raleigh

I've been employed since I was 17,and went to school nights and attended graduate school. I'm 54 now. I've never had any time off. I've worked on contract for two decades. My last contract ended in March. There are no jobs, no contracts anymore.

I was ahead of the trend, I guess. So I'm not afraid of losing my job. I'm afraid of losing my FOOD, CLOTHING, and SHELTER, and not in that order. I'm afraid of losing every single thing we've ever worked for all of our lives.

My husband's job ends this week.

I'm trying to re-start a home business. It's my only hope.

I have a friend, a former project manager, who is working in retail. Her stories scare me to death - too many overqualified people applying for too few (and diminishing) low-level jobs. Please, everyone, do NOT consider North Carolina if you're moving to find a job. We have the 8th highest unemployment rate in the country.

February 17, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  110. john vetre

Jack, Losing my job wouldn't be a problem if my last name were Gates, Kennedy or Rockafeller. I probably wouldn't even know there is an economic crisis.

John
    Connecticut

February 17, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  111. ANGELA MORROW

Worried, my husband recieved his 2 week notice Monday.
    March 6th is his last day.

February 17, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  112. Julie

As a recent victim of the economy, I am extremely aware of the "pink slip". I lost my job in Atlanta in the middle of August. At the time, I thought it was the worst possible situation, however, it turned out to be just what I needed. Within a month, I ended up moving across the country, landing a better job (including a salary boost as well as amazing benefits), and as an added bonus, I am now only 1 hour away from my then long distance girlfriend.

February 17, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  113. Upset in Chicago

I can't be afraid of what already happened.

Last Friday, my boss asked me into his office at 5pm and told me he's "sorry he has to let me go". The coward actually told everyone in the office before me.

According to my caller ID, they've called about 5 times. I'm assuming because they don't know how to do anything and need my help. I wouldn't know, though. I didn't answer the phone and they didn't leave a message.

February 17, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  114. Drew - Bad Axe, MI

I used to worry day and night about losing my job and still do because I am human and worry about losing shelter and the dignity of work. The worry has subsided though for practical reasons.

I can't afford to worry about losing my job. If I go into work everyday thinking it might be my last day it will make me nervous, edgy, and cloud me from being able to do my job well. If I worry about losing my job it just might make me lose it. To keep my job, I need to go in everyday and focus on what I need to do at work, not what I am going to do if I lose my job. No need to create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Also, if my fiancee and I spend our days worrying about our jobs, it is sure to create alot of strife at home. We are realistic and know that both of our jobs may disappear, but we don't WORRY about it. We already have plans for what to do if we do lose our jobs. If it happens or not is out of our hands and not something to worry about.

We're prepared for the worse up in Bad Axe.

February 17, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  115. Banker

Jack,
    I lost 3 jobs in the late 1980's during the collaspe of real estate prices in Texas and the failure of Texas banks. I'm still working in the banking world, but know that it could happen again. By the way, I took a look at my employment history and since 1971 when I left college, every single one of my previous employers have gone under or been bailed out or merged with another. Who says our banking system has been stable until now, doesn't know what's been going on for the past 30 years.

February 17, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  116. Melina

My husband and I are both worried about our jobs. I work for Jcpenney and my husband works for General Motors. We have both worked so hard to get where we are at, only now to see our American dream might be all gone in a flash. We have two children, a house we built a few years ago, two cars and we are in credit card debt up to our knees now. We thought we were finally going to get somewhere with our credit cards, but now we won't. I was born poor and now I will die poor. Well, I just want to say thanks alot Bush and to thank the Un-American people for buying foreign manufactured cars and for ruining our lives as well as our family and friends, too.

February 17, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  117. Martin AZ

I still have my job... to bad we are only working 3 days a week now!

February 17, 2009 at 6:48 pm |
  118. Rusty

Jerry Seinfeld, Michael Bloomberg, Robert Redford and Bill Bellichick? are you kidding? Get real. They have nothing in common with the working class, blue or white collar. Jack, you are a joke if you consider those four when you speak about people losing their jobs. You are a so out of touch!

February 17, 2009 at 6:48 pm |
  119. Ryan

I'm not worried about losing my job. I'm worried about losing my mind trying to provide for my family.

February 17, 2009 at 6:48 pm |