February 12th, 2009

How stimulating is $13 a week?

From CNN's Jack Cafferty:

You want to be stimulated? How does $13 a week sound to you?

How stimulating is $13 a week?

Officials estimate the new stimulus plan will mean about $13 a week more in people's paychecks this year.

While the federal government is passing an $800 billion stimulus bill - which works out to about $2,700 for every man woman and child in the country - the average worker can look forward to seeing about an extra $13 a week in his/her paycheck after taxes. This is on top of the $700 billion financial bailout package that was passed last fall and given to the Wall Street and banking weasels.

When I was a kid and was given my meager allowance I was often told, "Try not to blow it all in one place."

$13 a week. Think you can stave off foreclosure with that? How about junior's tuition, room and board at college?

Maybe trade in the old car for one of those new, fancy hybrids. $13 a week ought to handle it.

Or you could plan a lavish trip to Las Vegas and make the whiny old mayor of that town happy.

I'm no economist. But if two-thirds of our economy depends on consumer spending, and we have lost three million jobs in the past year and have almost five million people drawing unemployment benefits, wouldn't it make sense to put a little more jingle in the pockets of the folks who are fortunate enough to still have a job?

President Obama should be embarrassed. And those clowns in Congress should be ashamed of themselves.

Here’s my question to you: How stimulating is $13 a week?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Andrew from Carmel, California writes:
While I agree it's not that stimulating, it helps. It's a student loan payment, credit card payment, or maybe helps with rent. So, stimulating? No. Helpful? Yes.

Marge from New Port Richey, Florida writes:
It does sound rather ridiculous when you put it like that, but think about it in another way. It's definitely not enough money to save and make a difference in anyone's life, so all of those people will immediately spend it. With many millions of people spending an extra $13 every week, I would imagine it could stimulate the economy as a whole and give it a well-needed jolt.

Arlene from Iowa writes:
I've already been stimulated. That’s about how much my Social Security went up for this year. Can you spell j-o-k-e? As usual, we the people get screwed. Isn't it just stimulating?

Eileen from Chicago writes:
Well isn't this a myopic view of the stimulus package. If I didn't get $13 a week, I would still want the stimulus package because the country will bode better economically over the next few years with it. This isn't just about the amount of money in 'my' purse, checking account, or my 401k. It's the economy (for the country), stupid.

Sebastien from Philadelphia writes:
You're right, Jack: you're no economist and neither am I. The problem with giving Americans a wad of money right now is that there's no guarantee they'll spend it. I know I'd try to save whatever I got, even if it was $13 a week.

Sam writes:
I guess with the extra $1.86 a day I'll be able to supersize at lunch.

Sandi writes:
It means I can get my medications refilled. Doesn't mean much to the economy, but it will mean a lot to me.

Duncan writes:
That extra $13 per week will easily buy a 12-pack of domestic beer. What better way to drown our collective misery over this economic disaster?

Filed under: Stimulus Plan • US Economy
  1. Greg in Cabot Arkansas

$13 a week will buy me about a 12 pack of beer. Not very stimulating but sure to make these recession worries more palatable.

February 12, 2009 at 1:06 pm |
  2. George, Dunedin, Florida

To someone who has nothing, it will buy two more dinners for 4, now I don't mean that it will be rib eye, or T-bone, but more like hamburger, or tuna helper. Too many people who either make, or steal a lot of money probably tip more than $13.00 at their favorite watering hole, while many are just lucky if they can put a meal on the table, so don't snivel up your nose at that amont becaue if things don't get better you will be taking it, and be glad to get it.

February 12, 2009 at 1:12 pm |
  3. Larry

this is not a stimulus. it is an insult to hard working, educated people such as myself who already have it hard enough. Obama and the democrats should be ashamed of this bill and it has no business being passed.

February 12, 2009 at 1:13 pm |
  4. Cory from connecticut

Hooray! I can start a weekly beer budget with that kind of money. What better way of numbing the pains of reality than by consuming a 30 pack of Busch Lite?! Go America!!!

February 12, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  5. Mike

Sounds like two cups of starbucks coffee, the economic crisis is avoided!

February 12, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  6. kaye

For some people who are watching every dollar they spend, $13 may not be a big stimulating factor but will make a difference in some way. we sometimes forget that people actually struggle to have a couple of dollars extra to take the bus, so they walk to work, to buy an extra carton of milk so they don't have to dilute it to last the whole week, to buy another loaf of bread so that breakfast is not rationed to their children.

No not a lot of money but something.....and better than nothing which is what they had for the last 2 years of this recession affecting their lives.

February 12, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  7. Bob Drake Chicago IL

Anyone who does not want their $13 a week can send it to me. I expect your check in the mail soon, Jack.
    Bob Drake
    Chicago IL

February 12, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  8. Sue -Idaho

Jack, that's a tip for a cab driver by a wealthy politician, but to someone poor it's a gallon of milk and box of Mac and Cheese, so I guess it depends on which side of the bank your on!

February 12, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  9. john kennison

Jack it is somewhat insulting, the guys that caused this gets billions, and we the tax payers pay for it. Our leaders give us $13.00 a week. They should give us each legal citizens $250,000.00, let us pay off our credit cards pay off our mortgages, or down, and buy a new car, we are paying for it anyway, but as usual we the tax payer cannot be trusted with our own money, its really pathetic.

February 12, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  10. Marion McClain

Obviously, $13 a week is not terribly stimulating, but it may be the difference for some between going under and staying afloat. The stimulus should be targeted at those who need it most. They will spend it and not just save it. I have a feeling that a lot of the "stimulus" got lost in the compromises that were made. We need a real jolt in cash/jobs and I'm not sure this bill does it.

February 12, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  11. Terry from North Carolina

Jack
    At this point every little bit helps.

February 12, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  12. AndyZag Lynn, MA

Back in the mid-50's it would have been great. Now, I tip more than that after a meal for two.

February 12, 2009 at 1:38 pm |
  13. Conor in Chicago

That's a fortune, if the year is 1895.

February 12, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  14. Mike Coston

It's wonderfully stimulating Jack. Then we can buy just a little bit more alcohol (or substance of your choice) to help wash away our runaway mortgage and credit card debts! 'Real' stimulus is something that the American people can actually feel in their pockets, not $13 a week!

C'mon, show us some of that CEO bailout love too...

MC
    Kew Gardens, NY

February 12, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  15. Jenny Rome Ga

Jack,

It is an extra gallon of milk,loaf of bread and package of Bologna.
    It will buy a few gallons of gasoline.
    it may pay for a perscription if it is on the Walmart list of perscriptions.
    It is something.

February 12, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  16. Randy from Salt Lake City

What? That much? Woo-hoo! Dominos pizza here we come!

Let's see, that comes up to @ $676 for the 2009 year and I'll have to pay taxes on it in 2010. But, the filthy rich will get millions in stimulus bucks so they can buy gold, boats, bungilows in the Caymans and they won't pay a dime in taxes.

This country sucks. I can't wait till it implodes.

February 12, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  17. Katiec Pekin, IL

Well, Jack, it isn't much but every little bit helps. It could help put
    some food on the table or pay a monthly small utility bill. At this
    point people will welcome anything they can get.
    And, if nothing else is cut from the bill, there should be additional
    benefits included for middle class America.

February 12, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  18. Willow, Iowa

The 13 dollars a week isn't the stimulus plan. Its supposed to be the jobs created when they spend those billions rebuilding the infrastructure of this country, right? Factories will begin making more product, construction will boom, etc. Anyway, that's my hope.

February 12, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  19. Katiec Pekin, IL

Well, Jack, if a certain political party had not demanded their ineffective tax cuts and eliminations from the bill in order for it to pass Americans might have gotten a better deal. But, they never have and
    never will care about the welfare of middle class America.

February 12, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  20. Kellie, PA

I wouldn't be so ticked off about 13 a week, if corporate fat cats had not received billions of dollars at the end of the year and blew it off like a fart in the wind! Those buzzards!

February 12, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  21. Dark Cobra

Jack, clearly it's not going to cut it. What really irks me is the fact that we've already squandered (mostly to the greedy bankers) several Trillion dollars. That money could have paid off every single mortgage and credit card debt in America, which would have allowed all Americans to freely trickle up their entire paychecks through increased spending! I like the President but I'm afraid he's made a serious mistake in trusting these bankers and this Congress. PS: He needs to get out of Afghanistan too.

February 12, 2009 at 2:10 pm |
  22. Kevin in Dallas, TX

A penny saved is a penny earned, Jack. And I'd rather I have my $2,700.00 than have the government spend it on new uniforms for a bunch of people who give you a cavity search at the airport just for grins.

February 12, 2009 at 2:10 pm |
  23. Mike, Syracuse NY

$13 is all that stimulating, particularly when you remember that's it's all borrowed. With interest, we'll end up paying back $20.

February 12, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  24. Jeff

Jack,
    You forgot that we're going to get free condoms as part of the stimulus package. When you add the savings we'll enjoy from not having to buy our own condoms anymore, and add that to the $13 increase in our paycheck...

Jeff,
    Massachusetts

February 12, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  25. Tina

To we who are barely above the drowning point it sounds wonderful. I don't care who is responsible for this mess but it is way past time on helping out the working class. Quit the bickering and find a plan, please before I am eating dirt.

February 12, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  26. John from Alabama

Jack: The $13.00 a week will not do much for you or me, but couple it with a new job for the unemployed an it starts to mount up. The part that extends unemployment payments will keep food on the table and maybe pay the power and gas bill for the house or apartment. It is just a stop gap measures for the 3 million people out of work. The remaining $350 billion part of the TARP funds must be used to unfreeze lines of credit. Banks must lend operating funds for construction, industry, and business to start for the boost this nation needs.

John from Alabama

February 12, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  27. Ann from S.C.

People who have no job and get no paycheck won't get that $13.00 a week. Thirteen dollars may not pay college tuition or buy a new car, but it will help with one bill or one payment a week. Thirteen dollars a week times four would pay my monthly water bill or phone bill or internet or fitness center or one gas tank fill up. Have you never been poor Jack? If you have little, any extra is always welcome.

February 12, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  28. Judie from St. Augustine, Florida

Jack,
    I get more stimulation from watching CNN than $13.00 a week will give me. Lets see 13 X 4 weeks = $52.00 a month. That is a joke in todays economy. That does not even pay the cable bill that lets me watch you. I guess it is better that I will be getting $13 than paying an additional $13 in taxes. Got to look on the bright side of things if you can.
    Judie
    St. Augustine, Fl

February 12, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  29. Asher Bob White

Well, Jack, $13 a week ... why bother? This stimulus is obviously directed at stimulating the congressional and wealthy folks as is always the case. $13 a week is about what they think of the common middle class folks, isn't it? Oh, and they also think that education is a state responsibility until the results are in. Then education is a national crisis. Congessmen, especially but not exclusively are so very stupid. They can't help it because, like the wealthy, they live in their own little world of expereince unlike the public they serve.

BobWhite, Hays, KS

February 12, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  30. Terry- Greensburg, IN

I don't work (retired), but if I did this would be much more of an insult than a stimulus. Even if I got the $2700, it wouldn't come close to what wallstreet has cost me. Add another o and double it now we're gett'n close. This problem doesn't come at an opportune time for me, As a retire' I have no way of compensating for the damage. The dollars I saved in the past were hard earned but bought something in return. A dollar today won't buy a dimes worth, and it's going to be worse SOON!

February 12, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  31. David of Alexandria VA

Gee, Jack, you sound just like the 57 Republicans who voted against the bill in the Senate. And justifiably outraged. The fact is, this stimulous bill mostly puts more money into Food Stamps and unemployment benefits, gives the states money to keep their current employees employed, fixes the offensive AMT (which should have been fixed years ago, so "big woop") and pays for a small amount of infrastructure improvement.

Before it got to the Senate, it was going to pay for all sorts of pent-up spendlust among the Dems in the House. And almost none of it was going to hit the economy for 2 years.

And what about my $13? Well, it might buy me a good stiff drink every on Friday night as a form of self-medication for the recession. Gee, maybe it's stimulative after all.

February 12, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  32. Mark, OKC, OK

Jack, its a windfall! Now I can afford a fast-food dinner and a movie once a week.....by myself.

February 12, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  33. John in Arizona

Jack, you've put your finger on why economists argue for better stimuli than tax cuts. There are approximately 200 million adults in the US. That thirteen dollars a week would translate into approximately 135 billion dollars a year that could have been spent instead on infrastructure construction – a true economic stimulus.

February 12, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  34. Faye

I say it's ridiculous, but someone who makes minimum wage probably feels differently. I just hope the plan works and people can get back to work. Heaven help us if the republicans regain power. Poor people in this country will starve to death, literally.

February 12, 2009 at 2:31 pm |
  35. Linda in Florida

Jack, I'd be very happy with an extra $13 a week. Something is better than nothing. I would also be happy to give my $13 a week back, if it would be of more help to someone else.

February 12, 2009 at 2:33 pm |
  36. M from NY

I voted for Obama, and all I got from the 800 Billion Dollar Stimulus was a lousy $13 bucks. So much for Obama's promise of reducing taxes for the middle class. As far as I am concerned, Obama will be a one-term President.

February 12, 2009 at 2:34 pm |
  37. Charlie in Belen, New Mexico

It's "stimulating" enough to have meatloaf for dinner that night in the week intead of the Mac 'n cheese you've been having. Many people have "jobs" Jack. Wheither or not they are actualy earning a decent living is a different story.

February 12, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  38. Cody

It will pay for my lunch 1 day of the week, that's about it. Slowly distributing $400 out over a year instead of just giving us a check is not going to make an impact. People won't spend more, more business' will lose revenue which will result in more layoffs, and the cycle will repeat itself over and over. Whoever get's laid off won't be getting the $13 a week.

If they want to stimulate the economy they need to get the money out now, we can't wait a year.

February 12, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  39. Joyce E Neal - Antioch, TN

Well, it will keep cereal and milk on the table. And for some that is a lot. Don't kick the plan, give it a chance to work. I would love to have 13 extra dollars a week in my paycheck.

February 12, 2009 at 2:37 pm |
  40. Gail Nugent

The stimulus bill will not mean a promise of a pot-of-gold. Most of us will still be singing "I owe, I owe, so off to work I go".

February 12, 2009 at 2:37 pm |
  41. jeremykitching

When I saw this so-called "tax break" I almost laughed out loud. There is nothing stimulating about $13 a week. I really do hope that the other provisions in the bill create jobs. Consumers are the only ones that can get us out of this mess, and if we don't trust things are getting better then they won't.

February 12, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  42. Dave

Middle class taxpayers screwed again. It's amazing to hear one congressman when their begging for votes that he's in there working you. Yet they get free health care along with a pay increase while "joe" keeps getting the shaft. Maybe congress should quit trying to fixed the economy and go back and investgate something they know how to do....... oh......... the only thing they know how to do is to beg for votes every two years and screw the taxpayers.

February 12, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  43. Bill Tucson AZ

Jack,
    I've been saying this for weeks. Ever since the words "tax cut" were first spoken by our wise and wonderful leaders, I have said that it can't amount to much. I would think that by giving every working person their $2700.oo would do a lot more to stimulate this economy than the $13.oo I will get to keep out of my paycheck. For $13.oo I might be able to get a half a tank of gas for my car to drive in to work to pick up my $13.oo bonus.

February 12, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  44. Nyk Cowham

Jack, this is just one aspect of the stimulus bill. The economy will be stimulated by new jobs created from investment in infrastructure improvements: schools, roads, green energy, energy efficient vehicles, etc. It also includes a tax element. In my view the tax portion of this bill is more a concession to Republicans with a small amount rationale in terms of stimulating consumer spending. By far the largest stimulation will not come from those of us currently working, but by the spending power of workers reentering the work force.

February 12, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  45. Keith Johnson

WOW! $13.00 a week, Now I can get large fries with my burger!!!

February 12, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  46. Kate, Saratoga Springs

No you cannot buy a car, fund a college education, or put a down payment on a house with $13.00 per week. $13.00 per week turns into $52 per month! Give me a (5) week month and it's a huge $65!

That may not sound like a lot to you, but it helps people who don't have a dime to their name on Thursday. I am one of the lucky people, it's Thursday and I have $1.80 until payday tomorrow and I make pretty good money.

An extra $52 per month would pay (2) months trash bill, my cell phone bill with $16 leftover, buy pizza every Friday night for the month, pay for my Dunkin Donuts coffee every moning, go to the movies, buy a little better cut of steak, pay for my dogs treats and can food, get my nails done twice a month, pay for a haircut, donate it to charity or to someone else who needs it more and I could go on forever with what a truly middle class person/family could do with that extra money every week/month.

Please don't knock it, many of us need it and will be happy to get it.

February 12, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  47. karen

Is this change we can believe in? Maybe thats what he meant as far as change. He was thinking of maybe 2 happy meals for your kids. The president and both houses of congress have left the so called little people that actually make america work behind.

February 12, 2009 at 2:56 pm |
  48. Mary

In the 1950's my mother tried to figure out how to feed a family of four on a dollar a day. Thirteen dollars a week may not seem like much to you and me but to some it could spell the difference between feeding their family a couple more days a week. To them it means a lot.

February 12, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  49. Bill E

Jack,

The end is near but more then the sleazy useless politicians who are bilking us. We are the dumb ones. One by one we should throw all of them out and start anew. God bless our children. Hope its not too late.

February 12, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  50. Kevin Josephson

$13 a week – - yeah, that sound like nothing. But how many times have you heard people talk about needing to cut back their Starbucks habit (3 lattes a week is about $13). It does add up. Yes, this is not going to go towards big ticket items. In some respect, that may be good. Perhaps this will be the little bit of discretionary spending that gets spent at Starbucks, restaurants, movies, and other everyday luxuries. Also, a lumpsum of $800 may more likely be saved. Being given the money over a longer period of time makes it more likely to be spent.

February 12, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  51. Mary

I was not expecting a free lunch Jack, but with only $13 a week, that's all I'll be able to buy -One lunch a week.

We the working people, paying our taxes, along with all the other living expenses, we deserve more, at least W gave us $600.00!

I voted for the prez, but come on!

February 12, 2009 at 2:59 pm |
  52. Sharon, Rockford, IL

Hmmm, $13 a week – coffee is between $6-9 a can, milk $2.20 to $2.69, gas $1.80-2.00 per gallon. Yah, that $13 really will make a difference in my life. Or, I could save it trying to get enough to refinance my house. It should only take 4 or 5 years. Oh wait, I'm a small business owner and don't get a salary because I barely make it into the black each year. I guess I got excited for nothing.

February 12, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  53. Tim in Texas

Jack, thirteen bucks a week means that I can put gas in my car to get to work and back without having to add to my credit card debt. Since the interest on those credit cards is almost 30%, I figure the extra $13 a week totals up to over $600 a year. I'm getting a little sick of the politicians and media folks who look at one part of this bill and bash it to pieces. No, its not going to stop foreclosures, but that's supposed to be dealt with in the TARP funds. And as far as sending Jr. to college, take a look at the additional funds for Pell grants. If $13 bucks extra a week doesn't mean anything to you, I'll give you my address and you can send yours to me. By the way, usually your a pretty smart guy.

February 12, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  54. Jordan

$13 a week is nowhere close to be stimulating...its more like very unstimulating

February 12, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  55. Video Guy

I will save it since inflation is sure to be a few years away.

February 12, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  56. Pugas-AZ

Jack, you sound like my kind of guy. I would get more stimulated from looking at my mother-law in a bikini. Thirteen dollars! That is a joke. But then again, if I save that money for four years, I can contribute over five hundred dollars to 2012 campaigns of those who foisted this joke upon us. . That's assuming they have the ***** to run again.

February 12, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  57. Nicki

Jack::

I'm sorry, but you are being cynical. I guess you can look at it any way you like, buy $13.00 more in groceries or medicine, or whatever is $13.00 more. I actually think it is a disgrace to give tax cuts now anyway. The Rush Limbaugh party should have never been able to hijack this bill. TAX CUTS? Have they done one positive thing for our economy? Luxury Cars and Watches don't create jobs when they are being made in China.

If they wind up not voting for it in the end, I'm going to make sure to let every Republican in the House and Senate know how unbelievably disgusted I am with them.

February 12, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  58. lynnej from lattimore, nc

About as stimulating as a toothache...a root canal mind you. These guys are idiots. They have never had a real job or competed for a job like the rest of us. If they did, they'd know due to their banking buddies' price gouging of credit cards and mortgages that $13 won't even buy a decent meal for one person anymore unless it is the dollar menu at the local fast food joint.

February 12, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  59. Less, Austin, Texas

Wow 13 bucks . . . 13 bucks wouldn't even cover a parking meter expense for 2 days out-of-the-week.

Why even bother with it. . .

February 12, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  60. Carlo

About as stimulating as that "check" we got from Bush. That really pulled out of a hole, didn't it? If we could get back the billions that Wall Street paid its executives in bonuses, perhaps we could get more back. I personally don't expect any money back right now. When you owe money, you usually don't take the money you have it and spend it.

February 12, 2009 at 3:07 pm |
  61. Sandi

It means I can get my medications refilled. Doesn't mean much to the economy but it will mean alot to me.

February 12, 2009 at 3:09 pm |
  62. Tripp Mechanicsburg, PA

I've always been told that it's the thought that count. It appears that little thought went into this part of the stimulus package.

February 12, 2009 at 3:09 pm |
  63. Duncan

That extra $13 per week will easily buy a 12-pack of domestic beer. What better way to drowned our collective misery over this economic disaster?

February 12, 2009 at 3:11 pm |
  64. Jack

Does this mean we can buy that pizza my families been saving up for? Yes We Can! While I can embrace 'change' I find myself losing 'hope.'

February 12, 2009 at 3:11 pm |
  65. Jim

Jack,

Just putting a few bucks in al our pockets was never going to stimulate this economy back to life. Obama is right about that and the Republicans are wrong. It's all about jobs. I don't know if this Stimulus Plan can really generate three to four million jobs, but if it only does half that well, it'll be great news for the economy, and do a heck of a lot more good that tax refunds.

Jim
    Reno, Nevada

February 12, 2009 at 3:12 pm |
  66. Vivian- Minnesota

Let me see, we get a tax deduction...$13 a week. Who in government is thinking this is taking care of the problem? Every single congressmen that thinks that a tax deduction that relates to $13 a week has no real brain. They just continue to lead this country further into recession by these brillant solutions.

February 12, 2009 at 3:14 pm |
  67. Tara Favazza

What good is $13 or any tax break if you don't have a job. We need this stimulus package to create jobs and then we will talk about tax breaks for middle America.

February 12, 2009 at 3:14 pm |
  68. Harriette

Well, Jack, my daughter and I have scaled back our eating habits and groceries to where, believe it or not, we can live off of $20 a week in food. It is hard, but it has also been more healthy for us. An extra $13 bucks will allow us to afford the gas it will cost if I actually get a job created from this bill; however, and much more important, is that when the bill comes due to the taxpayer for this stimulus that $13 is going to be needed to repay the more than $100 a month extra we all will own in federal income taxes for that little $13 gift by congress.

Sure wish they would have gone with the republican plan...cut my taxes more so I would have more now but at least I can vote the Dems out of office in four years when the poop hits the fan for this bill.

February 12, 2009 at 3:16 pm |
  69. Jesse from New Jersey

About as stimulating as a prostrate exam.

February 12, 2009 at 3:17 pm |
  70. donna raedler

Jack–that would be about as useful as a milk bucket under a bull

February 12, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  71. Betty, San Diego, Ca.

Thirteen dollars a week is less than pocket change. You can't get an economic rise out of such a measly investment. But it is becoming more and more typical for financial America and corporate America to get rich while ordinary America gets the shaft.

February 12, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  72. Mark

Your claim is ridiculous: the point of the stimulus is to create jobs. Tax cuts have been proven not to stimulate the economy nearly as well as government spending. So why on earth is anyone complaining that the government is spending the money rather than giving tax cuts?

President Obama is doing what the economy needs the most, and there's nothing to be ashamed about in that. It's the Republicans who claim to be appalled that there's spending in a bill designed to spend that should be ashamed. The only thing they've done is water the bill down and make it significantly less effective.

It's certainly not scientific proof, but if there's anything that ought to convince you that tax cuts aren't the way to go, it's that they were the cornerstone of the country's economic policy over the last eight years.

February 12, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  73. Gigi

Not very... but if I saved $13 a week for four years I could pay this years property tax bill.
    It wouldn't buy a chicken dinner at KFC for my family each Sunday.
    So back to your question...not very.

February 12, 2009 at 3:30 pm |
  74. Sophie, Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

It is with pennies we make dollars and with dollars we make money. As long as the economy is "jump-started" again, I would take the $13/week. It is $13 I didn't have before. $13 is a few diner krafts for my kids a week!

February 12, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  75. Lisa B in Yucca

Jack
    $13.00 a week stimulates me.. It gets me P.O.'d. Of course I am unemployed, haven't found a job in a year and a half, and do not see that changing. So $13.00 is a joke, and I get a laugh out of that.

February 12, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  76. DeDe, Clarkston GA

As stimulating as the once-a-week "Grande Caramel Macchiato at Starbucks" that I had to give up to cut expenses. Now I can make the trip twice a week. Woo-hoo.

February 12, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  77. Pam

I agree Jack. I was and am one of Pres. Obama's biggest supporters. I know he is trying to look out for everyone and their brother, but $13/wk. won't do a thing except probably push me just $13 out of my current tax bracket.

February 12, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  78. Brad, VA

Obama should be embarrassed. Too much government spending and not enough money back to the good people of this country. This stimulus package was a great opportunity for politicians to bundle up their pet projects and bury them in this massive spending bill. The people of this country should be furious!

February 12, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  79. Kevin Lunenburg MA.

Wow you got an allowance as a kid? That must have been nice. I'd guess the $13 will feel just about the same.

February 12, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  80. Gary, in Sioux City Iowa

Lets see Jack It will buy a week on my cable tv. If I have a small car, it might buy a tank of gas. I can go to a hockey game, if I take only me, and get nothing to snack on. Not much to look forward to is it?

February 12, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  81. Philly Guy

The tax break that Obama origionally put in this stimulus plan would have given a $500 tax break to individuals which would have amounted to about $16/wk but apparently GOP leaders thought that was too much money for the middle class. I guess tax breaks are only for the rich.

February 12, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  82. WilliamTell

It become a sad state of affairs when the banks get Billions and we the people only will see 13 dollars a week.

This President and Congress speaks with fork tongues.

February 12, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  83. Carl Clark

Personally, I don't want the $13 a week. It's not my money...it was earned and then stolen by the government from other hard-working Americans. If it wasn't stolen, it was printed which means it was stolen from my kids and grandkids. Either way they can keep the money...I don't want it.

February 12, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  84. jeff

$700B for TARP.

$3.5T to back "toxic assets".

$13 a week for the average taxpayer who will be left paying the bill for Wall Street's bailout?

Price...er...worthless.

Jeff, Washington, DC

February 12, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  85. Brittany Palm Beach, Fla

Every bit helps at this point. Im not biting any hand, even if it has just a morsel.

February 12, 2009 at 3:42 pm |
  86. Jim, from Las Vegas

How stimulating? Well, that should cover the cost of a few PPV movies.

February 12, 2009 at 3:42 pm |
  87. Phil, Georgia

First, its beautiful that our government is working for the people again!! Yes, maybe their could be a little more in checks for everyone, but its a start. I think the overall relief is the best part. Look at it like; 13 extra a week, 2500 back for my kids college, 8000 if i want to buy a new house, thousands back for a car, exc., these start to add up for us. Millions of our brothers put back to work, our kids will get the best education; Over-all its looking pretty good!!!

February 12, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  88. Greg Pottstown Pa

$13 a week is an insult . That won't even fill a gas tank.

February 12, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  89. KarenB, Florida

That's pitiful. Can't even say it's better than nothing. The whole thing is a sad mess–a sad state of affairs.

February 12, 2009 at 3:49 pm |
  90. Shane

We can't all be lucky enough to put our kids through college... This bill will help send Americans to school who don't have the advantage of a having a rich all-star journalist parent. Everyone deserves an opprotunity at an education, and by extension a future.

February 12, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  91. Karen Northington

I'm a single working mom of one son age 14 living in Louisville, Ky and $13 dollars a week is a small portion to put back on my pay check when so many deductions comes out of it. I really think some in Federal Government don't have a clue or think it is a joke to keep Americans in a state of emotional pain.

As an American speaking for all American people who is bailing us out?

February 12, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  92. Paul H from Los Angeles, CA

It's not stimulating for most of us, Jack. But for the people who are living literally from dollar to dollar, they just gained 13 more lives.

February 12, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  93. Tim Farrell

not very, unless I use the $13 to purchase an X-Rated DVD.

February 12, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  94. gg

thats 52 dollars a month in lottery tickets

February 12, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  95. mitchell, arkansas

it makes me shiver with anticipation......,

February 12, 2009 at 3:54 pm |
  96. Eric

And how's this for insult to injury... if you bother to work hard, study hard, put yourself through college and continue to sharpen your skills and abilities all throughout your career... AND you manage to secure a good salary... guess what... YOU DON"T GET A FREAKING DIME in stimulus, because the government considers you "rich."

In other words, we have taken all the risks to get ahead and foot the bill ourselves, and now that we're successful, we're punished for our efforts.

I'm telling you Jack, there is a revolution brewing, in which this nation's producers will have to defend themselves against ever-increasingly belligerant marauding bands of looters and moochers.

February 12, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  97. Tito - Minneapolis

This is great ! Now I can afford to buy me a $10.00 Martini every Friday and still leave a good tip, thus stimulating the economy.

February 12, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  98. Ron from SF

This isn't even an annual car muffler and that was all my George Bush Tax cuts were worth. I've been screaming at my congress critters to spend it all in infrastructure, as I do not need, nor want, another tax break. But, I shouldn't worry. As you point out, like Bush's tax cuts, I won't benefit from this one either. My reality is that if you increased my taxes to Clinton levels, it wouldn't change my spending, at all. Most of the time, I'm too busy working to shop and even when I’m not, I hate shopping.

February 12, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  99. Taylor L. (Austin, TX)

$13 a week isn't very stimulating. But then again, Americans will probably spend something like $45 extra dollars a week. Spending money that we don't have, that's the American way.

February 12, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  100. Lynn

I seriously doubt many of us will even notice we've been stimulated at that rate. What a joke.

February 12, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  101. Steve K Scappoose OR

Jack,
    Won't even cover the cleaning bill for my crying towel.
    Let's get serious and start loaning money to new and old business alike. At least it isn't a gift and us poor tax payers may even have a chance to get it back. What a concept. $13, nice job Washhinton.

February 12, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  102. jh

Jack, I tired of whining about this economy, now I can have a big laugh. This is pathic and joke! This stimulate nothing,except paying one third of total cost for my viagra.

February 12, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  103. Angela Tacoma wa

Lets just say that the number 13 just went from unlucky to lucky...

February 12, 2009 at 4:03 pm |
  104. Marv

Jack, 13 is my lucky number, but it'll hardly help anyone keep up witth the hyper-inflation that these stimulus packages will cause. Get the wheelbarrows full of money, put the 13 dollars on top, and go buy a loaf of bread!

February 12, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  105. Jodi ( Portland, OR )

$13/week is just enough to pay my cellphone bill. That isn't much more than cashing in soda cans and beer cans.

Why doesn't members of Congress who "downgraded" the weekly stimulus to $13/week try living off that!

It won't help one tiny bit. The only people who'll make more $ are the rich, which means not one thing changes.

February 12, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  106. Gerry from Virginia

Obviously Mr Cafferty you have never been poor... What can 13 dollars a week do for a poor family? If you shop at the right grocery stores you can find canned goods for a dollar, bread for a dollar a loaf, dollar meals at mcdonalds, any dollar store has hundreds of things you can buy for a dollar and its quality stuff for a dollar and the company is doing very well on the stock market by the way.. Don't knock 13 bucks a week Jack, that could be my grocery budget. Living on social security isn't easy these days..

February 12, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  107. Natalia, Albuquerque, NM

Jack, you are way too pessimistic about what this may actually mean. While $13 a week may not seem like alot, combined with the spending on new jobs, this should be a good start to bring back the consumer "confidence" and stop the massive economic bleeding. It is not enough to help those who are, as you say, "lucky" enough to have a job, but help all Americans. Just to survive, the very poor will definitely spend whatever money they can get their hands on, even a piddly $13 a week.

And why are you so quick to blame Obama and the current Congress, when it was Bush and the majority Republican Congress that forced their lop-sided economic policies over the past eight years and put our country in this serious mess? You need to get tougher on the Republicans that are now trying to undermine our president. So, lighten up on Obama!

February 12, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  108. Brad

$13.00 a week? Clowns! BOZO is smarter than that.

February 12, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  109. Daniel, Indiana

It isn't, at least for a stimulus package. It would be June before anyone would receive that, if that is it. Another lump sum payment is what would be needed to do any help to Ameicans. Unfortunately, that won't do many much help either, if it is only a thousand dollars.

February 12, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  110. Dina - Philadelphia, PA

Jack! I figure it this way, if Congress can't do better than that, JUST KEEP the Change!

So, this what Congress will be passing off to my children in the form of inflation? Thank goodness I'm still young enough to help them live through what this Bill is going to do to them!

February 12, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  111. Gerda Edwards

$13? With the inflation the stimulus package will cause, that should buy me an extra Starbucks each week.

February 12, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  112. Danny

Well Jack, 13 dollars is something. Can't take everything for granted can we now?

Danny

Setauket, NY

February 12, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  113. Elle from Pullman, WA

I could probably buy a pack of bubble-gum every day of the week for about $13.00. That would stimulate the bubble-gum manufacturers and create jobs, right?

February 12, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  114. Abner

It's a band aid. It's enough to say, "Hey, look we did something?" But not enough to make a difference. Really did you expect anything better. Until we stop voting for Democrats and Republicans and start giving third party candidtates, we will have the same tried, tested and failed ideas that continue to destroy our economy. New administration, same policies.

February 12, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  115. Berri

$13.00 Stimulating? How about a down right insult! Now my 3 & 5 year olds would be excited for $13.

February 12, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  116. Steve Nichols

If I save it every week, I should be able to get a new car by the year 2145.

February 12, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  117. michiael hiller

Jack...I think I'll retire!

February 12, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  118. Bill

HaHa! What else can be said?

February 12, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  119. Aaron from Seattle

$13 a week won't make a difference to me because I am still financially doing fine, but that could buy someone's child 3 or 4 lunches a week at school. Any help for the struggling is better than nothing.

February 12, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  120. r keene

for people who have money, not much, but to us low income people it sure helps.

February 12, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  121. texasboot

may not be too stimulating, but it will pay for lunch for almost pay for lunch for a week for a child in public school. it is a start!

February 12, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  122. Mike Page in South San Francisco, CA

Jack, if you don't like the $13, stop whining and send it back.

February 12, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  123. Becky

It sends shivers up my leg to hear Obama say that.

February 12, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  124. Jesse

Not stimulating enough. But here's your "change."

February 12, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  125. James Koopman

Hey Jack, it ain't.

February 12, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  126. Ryan Novak

Well Jack I guess you could buy a 12 pack and a lotto ticket and drink your worries away

February 12, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  127. Larry

$13.00 a week, this is what the fools in Congress is rushing. Vote them out. Don't let them spend anything.

February 12, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  128. Jan in Los Angeles

Jack it seems like no matter what, this plan is going to make someone upset. I think jobs creation is vital and more important that cash in our hands. I just wish they would do more or infrastructure. It may have gotten to many cuts to be the boost it was suppose to be. Tax cuts and money in our pockets didn't work when they did it early in the year so why would it work now.

February 12, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  129. Gabby

Well Jack, now i can get a half a tank of gas instead of a quarter. .

February 12, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  130. Beth

About as stimulating as listening to Obama every night begging for our support for this awful plan! ZZZZZZZ.

February 12, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  131. Pierre E.

I thinks its very stimulating. With the extra $13 dollars a paycheck I can afford to eat out an extra day of the week. So someone is getting paid to cook for me, aren't they?

February 12, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  132. IKE in Atlanta

Stimulating? Yes. Very stimulating. Stimulates me to laugh. Stimulates me enough to know that we are doomed.
    Stimulates me enough to feel sorry for myself, for you Jack, and for the rest of us.
    Very stimulating.

February 12, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  133. Scott Bornstein

For those of us who are unemployed, and not getting a paycheck, there's about as much stimulation as watching grass grow.

Scott B
    Lakeland, FL

February 12, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  134. Patrick

13 a week...52 Cheeseburgers or one percent of the interest on my student loans. Pretty weak. Boo

February 12, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  135. linbit-Greensboro, NC

Jack. Don't be so stupid. This is just one part of the whole. The people getting $13 per week would be thrilled if they got a raise that gave them an extra $13 per week. Maybe they can buy an extra meal out at lunch. Help a restaurant, tip a waitress, etc.

February 12, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  136. Fais

Asssuming I'm unemployed when I receive it , not stimulating enough for me to go spend .. Not sure how this will increase consumer confidence..

February 12, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  137. Denice

Jack,

I can go to Starbucks with my $13 a week 4 times to get a cup of my favorite hot chocolate! No, wait.....they closed that Starbucks!

February 12, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  138. Cordale Johnson

$13 dollars a week isn't stimulating at all. I wouldn't even recognize an extra $13 dollars week.

February 12, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  139. Lilian in Alabama

This is outrageous!!
    Gasoline is going up, food is going up and all Obama can give working Americans is $13 dollars? He can keep mine.

February 12, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  140. Scot

$ 13.00 a week ? I'll have more than that in bottle deposits from the beer bottles I empty watching and worrying about all this crap. They can keep their money !

February 12, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  141. Steve

13 dollars? This will do nothing at all. In the past month my electric rate went up over 20.00 a month. Then there is cable etc.

February 12, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  142. Steve

To the average, hard working American it should feel like a slap in the face.

February 12, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  143. sidlawecki

I'll bet all those clowns in Congress would clearly do the right thing and not refuse the $13.00.

February 12, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  144. Fred

Seriously, did any of us really expect more? Their buddies on Wall St. get the Prime Rib, you and I get thrown a bone. What a joke!!

February 12, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  145. Darrell

Can you say soda and a bag of chip and three gallons of gas. I just don 't now what Congress is thinking about. They have have no reservations about giving the FAT CATS millions of dollars but when it comes to helping the people who needs it the most and who will be responsible for paying back all the millions that's being spent there's just no help.

February 12, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  146. Mary

Jack; "YOU ARE THE MAN", I have been waiting for SOMEONE to expose the truth about this so-called tax break for 95% of Americans. I voted for Pres. Obama, but I am not pleased to find out what he had in mind as far as these tax breaks. You are right, he should be ashamed, and Americans should be outraged!!! If this Pres. keeps misleading us, I guess he'll find out how stimulated we are come Nov. 2012. Thank You.

February 12, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  147. Jason Anderson

Jack,

Wow $13.00, thats almost enough to do nothing.

February 12, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  148. Ron H

Tax cuts do not stimulate the economy to the same extent that infrastructure projects will. Jobs stimulate the economy not tax cuts.

Consumer spending may be 60 % of our economy but because a large part of that consumer spending is on imported goods, consumer spending actually contributes to the problem by increasing the trade deficit. As Obama said in his Town Hall meeting in Florida, a consumer based economy is not sustainable.

February 12, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  149. Juliet Ann Love

Jack,
    I remember babysitting for seventy-five cents an hour, now $13 a week won't even cover my cable bill.
    Juliet
    California

February 12, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  150. Jim

I can't believe some of these comments. Like folks are happy to be getting $13. I'm wondering when Americans will get off of their apathy, fire up the torches, break out the pitchforks and descend on Washington. We take so much from these politicians and Wall Street fat cats and seem satisfied to bury our heads in American Idol.

February 12, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  151. BRUCE, ST PAUL, MN

That thirteen dollars (eight after Jan 1) a week will do as much good as painting your mailbox when your house is on fire. Or taking an aspirin for a brain tumor. Or handing out umbrellas during a hurricane. The truth is that the twenty-first century robber barons, with the help of Reaganomics, have cleaned us out. I guess the Republicans and their talking heads won't get the message until they each lose one or two of their homes.

February 12, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  152. Jason

Jack,

So a check for $676 dollars is not stimulating (see 52 weeks x $13)?

Let me ask you, what does it take for well-to-do cable news stringer to get stimulated if not a nice fat check for nearly $700?

February 12, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  153. Jeff G, Alabama

Jack, it doesn't matter what I think about the $13. We are not going to get anything out of this so-called stimulus bill. Whatever will happen will happen. That is your hope and change.

February 12, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  154. Mark Downey

$13 per week is $676 per year. A person who is 20 years old will recieve over $30,000 in a lifetime. This is the best offer we have had in a while.

February 12, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  155. Lara from MA.

Its as stimulating to the economy as president Bush was ...

February 12, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  156. Sandy Kennedy

$13.00 a week? My husband and I, as retired workers, who have lost half our life savings since last fall, are getting nothing. And, we and the next several generations of our family, will be paying for the government's bail-out of banks and Wall Street. All this with no sure knowledge, or guarantee, that stimulus packages will work.

February 12, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  157. Harold, Florida

the rich get richer and poor gets $13.00 just don't seem fair to me!
    I think congress and other rich fat cats in washington,DC should take a cut in pay just because they aren't doing such great job ?

February 12, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  158. John Thompson

WOW! I would have expected more than $13 extra a week out of our wonderful country to try and get our economy moving. I think this is what i got for allowance when I was ten years old, what a shame...

February 12, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  159. Lainie

I guess this is the Change We Can Believe In. Jingle, Jingle.

February 12, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  160. MIchael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Jack: Is that before or after taxes? An insult to some, but when you have no job or income--it is $13 more of what you don't have. Our government really loves the American people--–can't you feel the love Jack?

February 12, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  161. Vic

$13 a week would be enough to pay my cable bill so I can keep watching CNN.

February 12, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  162. Kristine

Hello Jack,

It is just insulting! They would have done better to divide the stimulus money between us all – then maybe we would be getting somewhere!

February 12, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  163. Marty Peduzzi

I must say I almost laughed when I heard the figure. I believe that should be the new amount of bonus put into the Bank and Wallstreet CEO' checks. For my part, I think the American people should get the CEO's bonuses from this point forward. After all isn't it our money that's for the most part funding them now?

February 12, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  164. James

What happen to the tax cut? I thought we'd see a percent or two cut off each of the lower brackets. Instead we're getting $13 a week up to a cap of $400 each? That's no better than Bush's tax rebates.

February 12, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  165. Jeff in Minnesota

Who says trickle down economics is dead? Looks like the Obama team is taking a page out of the Reagan playbook. This is the change that we voted for?

February 12, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  166. Katja in Bradenton, Florida

Well, let's see, for $13 a week, we can take the family to a $1 movie and maybe get popcorn. Or we can buy more Pepsi, since they cost the same in the 8 pack as they did in the 12 pack, or we can buy 1 maybe 2 t-bones for the grill. You get the point, it ain't much...for get it, it won't even pay a minimum on a credit card bill. This is a very bad joke.

February 12, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  167. angelina

Dana Point, California

I agree that $13.00 is nothing but regardless, any amount that is sent to the American people is not going to bridge the economy back to good health. The last stimulas check went right into the savings account. The banks are the ones that can and should make a difference by giving out loans and credit by refinancing people's homes to lower payments. If they don't start soon, I believe they should be told to give our money back!

Thx,
    angelina

February 12, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  168. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

$13 a week is very stimulating if you live in a third world country. Maybe Congress is trying to tell us something far beyond what we already know.

February 12, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  169. Rebecca Shobe

I just paid my son's tuition for this semester of college, and believe me Mr. Cafferty $13.00 a week is not going to make any difference in my household. My husband I both work and planned for our children's college fund, but the best laid plans did not work. Who knew that just when we needed the money, the bottom would fall out. I quess the 2 billion dollar power plant in the state of Illinois is more important than getting the economy back on track.

Rebecca

February 12, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  170. Krystal

Thats $676 a year, last year I got $500 from the Bush Stimulus. At $52 a month I can pay my Electricity bill. I'm not looking for a hand out, just job security.

February 12, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  171. Meghan

Hey Mary,
    Im a nurse, not an economist, however by my calculations $13 a week is a bit more that $600. Nice try.

February 12, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  172. jperez of ca.

Jack,
    A Homeless Person can make more than $ 13.00 a week by panhandling, shame on congress by giving Millions or Billion of dollars to the C.E.O but penny on the Taxpayer, Thats my MONEY.

February 12, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  173. Charlotte from Charlotte NC

The way I look at it right now is every dollar helps.
    We're lucky that this bill is even getting passed. Know what I mean, Verne.
    Love ya, Jack... Wolf, too!

February 12, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  174. Tommy from Kentucky

Hello Jack. I would like to encourage everyone in America to keep living the way they have been during this economic crisis and take their $56.33 per month to the nearest shopping center to blow it on something fun for themselves or their family members. Everyone should add a little fun to their lives during these troubled times! This will also give our economy a much needed boost!

February 12, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  175. kasey baker

finally someone speaks out for the people when is everyone going to realize that the middle class is the economy. without us their is no future for this country

February 12, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  176. Dr Rosemarie white

Mr Cafferty,

I just heard your comments about $13 dollars.
    The President has been in office less than a month. With the worst economic situation in the U.S. history, and with nasty, back-stabbing opposition from the handful of Republicans in the Government, he is trying, really TRYING, to turn the situation around. It will not be perfect, as the President said.

Your degoratory attitude and less-than-supportive comments on CNN are uncalled for. If you want to steam up the persons listening to you, and rate your effectiveness as a "reporter/commentator?" measured by the number of responses you get, well I guess it's one way of feeling good about your skills. However, HOW ABOUT HELPING THE COUNTRY, INSTEAD OF SLAMMING THE PERSONS WHO ARE TRYING TO DO JUST THAT.

February 12, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  177. Susie Fischer

$13? If say, 20 million people spend $13 a week, that puts $260 million a week into the economy. How much is that in a year? My calculator doesn't go that high.

I'd call that stimulating.

February 12, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  178. Mike in Missouri

I don't know of any kids who get less than $20 a week allowance.

I'm tired of being treated less than a child.

February 12, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  179. VisionofReality

So Jack, should it be $500/week per person? Do you believe that we can print up another $4 trillion to hand out and that solves the problem? We simply continue to leverage debts on our grandchildren? It seems that no one grasps any economic concepts anymore and believe in magic.

A dollar of money produced out of thin air and not productively earned is a debt to be paid back. $100, $500 billion, a $trillion is sick, immoral and reprehensible. This behavior will destroy our economy, our national security and our way of life. Our grandchildren will curse our abominal judgment.

February 12, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  180. dan wellsboro

13.00 is everything when you have nothing

February 12, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  181. Carl Bekowitz

$13/week, $52/month, $676/year
    "If you owe the bank $100, its your problem. If you owe the bank $1,000,000, its thier problem."

This bailout plan is a joke. President Barack Obama wanted to shun the Bush administration for the mess they have gotten the country into. In light of this stimulus package I received more in a one-time payment from the Bush Stimulus Package. It was proven before that giving Corporate ***holes billions to stimulate the economy only boosts their own personal pallates and lifestyle. President Obama claims to be "for the working class man." Where is our serious bailout, assistance, and sympathy. Everyman is created equal is the hot topic now with Former President Abrahim Lincoln B-day. Why is a corporate executive more important than I am when it comes to a stimulus. Its hypocricy at its finest.

Carl Bekowitz
    Ft. Irwin, California

February 12, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  182. Khush

I think that this is appalling. Politicians will always look out for their self interest, sadly the President included. Its easy to jump start this economy. You need tax cuts for businesses and individuals AND gvt spending projects. Why? its simple. People need money to spend, spending will increase consumption, consumption increase production. Tax cuts would allow companies to creat jobs IN the USA without outsourcing, otherwise what good is increased spending if jobs are going overseas? Why is it so hard for politicians to see this? You need to have both. We tried one alone- Tax Cuts and look at the results.

February 12, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  183. Conan

Sweet. 13 Lotto tickets.....

February 12, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  184. Stephanie in Texas

OH THANK GOD FOR OBAMA! I can afford both flip flops for all my children, and I thought I couldnt buy them all shoes for the winter. My troubles are over.

February 12, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  185. Cheryl`

My grandmother and mother always said, that a half loaf of bread is better than none at all. They never talked about buying the "END PIECES" of the loaf of bread. There is nothing stimulating about that.

February 12, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  186. Gabrielle from California

My 96 year old grandmother who lived through the Great Depression, always says, "thank the good Lord for whatever you get." Grandma, I'm with you, just wish the $13 was equal to $13 in the 1920's. I'm sure in your day you weren't thinking of tax credits for cars you didn't own, but rather cash for food & shelter you needed. Grandma, the Great Depression was probably a better time (if one can say so) than the depression we're about to go through. At least (as you've always told the story), your family always had each other & the neighbors, each one willing to help another. You all were spend thrifts, efficient with your food, shelter, money, you had integrity & were honorable people, etc...This is the "I" generation: Forget, helping the neighbor, forget supporting one another, forget intregrity & let everyone else cave in..."I'm doing OK". Well thank the good Lord that the "I's don't have it yet & hopefully one by one, we will pull together & help each other & come out a better & stronger people. Maybe we need this time to go back to our roots as a country. Thank the good Lord for allowing us to be stripped down and rebuilt!!

February 12, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  187. Sherry

I'm so angry that the Democrats allowed 3 Republican senators to reduce the middle class tax relief from $500/$1000 to $400/$800. Obama ran for two years promising the $500/$1000 tax relief and the Democrats should not have cut the amount for any reason. What really infuriated me is that they kept the AMT tax credit for the upper middle class and wealthier families which will give save those families $2000. So in otherwords, if you're wealthier you get $2000 and if you are lower income to middle class you get $13 per week this year and $8 per week next year. Sounds familiar doesn't it? Sounds like something George Bush would have approved of.

February 12, 2009 at 4:42 pm |
  188. Steve

An additional $13 a week is not even a weak stimulus. With the rising costs of food, gas, and heating, that additional money won't help out at all. I'd make a better living if I moved to Iraq and took the handouts the US military is giving to Iraqis for not shooting at them.

February 12, 2009 at 4:44 pm |
  189. Sue Mayfield

A lot of people took a pay cut more than $13.00 per week to keep their jobs.

February 12, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  190. Peter Ramos

I don`t think the $13.00 will be enough for a quarter tank of gas. I believe the price gas keeps going up,and the jobs are being lost everyday. What is going on here how are we going to look for jobs if we can`t afford the gas...How do you tell you kids you can`t buy them mcdonalds because you needed for gas...............peter

February 12, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  191. nora cal

Jack:
    Please don't be like the rest of the media and look down your nose on $13.00. More a week. To many that will help. As you and the rest of the crew know in order for the stimulas to work it has to be spent. The whole idea is that the money will go into the flow of money and not for savings. To make light of the entire package by focusing on one part does all of us a diservice.

February 12, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  192. Matt in Columbus, OH

I make 42K/year, I'm married, and have two kids. This $52 a month is actually going to be a huge help. Since food and gas prices shot through the roof, I blew through my savings filling my tank to get to work. With gas back down, I'm staying pretty even, but this will help me catch up on some behind bills and start getting a couple hundred bucks in the savings again. I don't have cable, or any other unnecessary spending, but I do go out to eat for lunch sometimes at work if I don't have time in the morning to pack something.

This $52/month is exactly what I need, and after 6 months or so, I'll probably start spending some of that $52/month on unnecessary items, and stimulating the economy with it.

As long as the government spending puts some people back to work in the short term, a tax break like this can have a good boost to the economy in the mid-term.

The only problem is, if we have another wild price shift in a commodity, like the gas and food price spikes in '08, none of this will matter. When people's lives fall apart because of a 4 month massive increase in commodity prices, it takes years to recover.

What I spent on gas this summer will take me years to build back up...

February 12, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  193. Beverley, Fredricksburg Va

Jack,

Please explain to me how this one bill was supposed to jump start the economy, create or save 4 million jobs, and give 95% of American workers a huge tax break!?? I love you but you're asking for too much!

February 12, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  194. Terik Ororke

$13 a week for wage earners but billions to Wall Street--now that is novel!

February 12, 2009 at 4:47 pm |
  195. Chad Jarman--Los Angeles

Those of you upset with this small amount, please send your $13.00 to my address ASAP!

February 12, 2009 at 4:49 pm |
  196. Paul Petersen

Why do these Republicans always push tax reduction (they pushed for these tax credits)...save everybody's $13 bucks and build a bridge or road or something that will stimulate the economy and we will have to show for it. Wasting money on these tiny tax credits is dumb. It doesn't help anyone and we won't have anything to show for it.

February 12, 2009 at 4:49 pm |
  197. Missouri Sarah

Jack,

I agree that $13 a week doesn't sound like much, especially if you are making a six-figure salary, or more. But for those of us who earn MUCH less than that, say $30,000 to $40,000 a year, $13 a week means eating lunch out twice a week, going to the movies twice a week, eating dinner out once a week, renting three movie DVDs a week ... you get the idea. And $13 a week spent on those little things will help the restaurants, movie theaters and other Main Street businesses, not the Wall Street fat cats.

February 12, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  198. Susan

The ignorance and arrogance of the question is so obvious. $13 per week is $52 a month. That's huge for someone who spends $45 a month on medicine; or someone who needs to add $45 a month to their grocery bill. Or, someone who's child is wearing shoes with holes in them because Mom can't afford another pair.

How dare you – someone who earns 6 or maybe 7 figures a year – mock the significance of $52 per month or $104 per month for a husband & wife.

February 12, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  199. Mary

Jack,
    It may not be much but it sure will help having more food on the table, or put gas in the car, etc...
    However, I still don't get it. The banks are willing to go through the trouble of foreclosing and resell the property for a muchh lesser price but are not willing to refinance it to the owner with the much lower price that they are willing to sell it for for others.

Mary
    Cape Coral

February 12, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  200. Robert Prescott

Jack,

The tax cut portion of the stimulus package would have worked far better if it had instead been ear marked for job creation. But let's remember that the only hope President Obama had of getting any republican support was to include a tax cut.

Robert

North Port, FL

February 12, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  201. RJ

$13... that will just about cover my gas for the week.
    That is if I only go to work and back of course.

Not very stimulating I know, but you asked.

February 12, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  202. Ken - - Neotsu, OR

This is a JOKE

February 12, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  203. Michelle from Palm Springs

Heck right about now every dollar counts.. We're always looking to round something off.. in the long run it would help, it may not sound like much but again something better than nothing.. We just want them to pass this and move on to getting this country together.. like asap!

February 12, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  204. John Steen

After seeing all the money doled out to the Banks and Auto Businesses to bail them out, We the people get $13 extra a week in our checks. We are a family of 4. My wife and I both work and have never been able to buy a new house or new car. It was a slap in the face when the Banks received their help from our Government, the greedy execs got bonuses so they continue their lavish life style and once again step on the average American family.
    John Steen
    Canisteo, NY

February 12, 2009 at 4:58 pm |
  205. christine

Please people, that is more than $52 a month. Some people are looking for a part time job to make extra bucks. Why don't the people critizing it donate $50 a month to the poor? $52 will buy grocery for a poor family.

February 12, 2009 at 4:59 pm |