February 9th, 2009

Rate media coverage of Pres. Obama?

From CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Americans are keeping a close eye on President Obama - just three weeks into his administration - but they're also focusing on the so-called "fourth" branch of government, the media.

Rate media coverage of Pres. Obama?

President Obama answers questions from the press on AIr Force One,

A new Gallup poll shows 38% of those surveyed don't think the press has been tough enough in its coverage of the new president. 11% say "too tough", while almost half - 48% - say "about right."

It's not surprising that Americans' views on media coverage of President Obama breaks down along party lines. Another recent poll showed most Democrats find it "about right", while most Republicans say it's "not tough enough." Independents are about evenly split.

When it comes to those who believe the media haven't been tough enough on President Obama, Gallup found an overwhelming majority of these people - 85 percent - are at least somewhat concerned that the news media won't be able to fulfill its duties of providing oversight of the administration.

You may recall this was a big deal during the Bush years - the public was quite critical of the media - saying they weren't tough enough in their questioning, particularly during the run-up to the Iraq war.

In just a few short weeks in office - President Obama has been all over the media - popping into the press room, doing sit-down interviews with network and cable news anchors, holding town hall meetings, and tonight his first prime-time news conference.

Here’s my question to you: How would you rate the media coverage of President Obama?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Jan from Knoxville, Tennessee writes:
I would rate it A+. President Obama is so likeable, I'm sure the press enjoys covering him. He is like a fresh breath of air in Washington, as is his lovely family.

Pete from New York writes:
Slobbering is about the right description. After Obama picked three tax cheats for high positions, Brian Williams asked him if he was angry – as if the president was the victim instead of the person who made the decision in the first place. The first reaction of the press is to make an excuse for him.

Mike from Caledonia, Minnesota writes:
Hello Jack, I watch CNN. I don't not watch Fox News or listen to that blowhard Rush Limbaugh. I think CNN has done a fair job of covering President Obama and only wish someone there would have had some guts 8 years ago while Bush and his cronies destroyed this country on every possible level. We may never recover from the damage that Bush 43 did to America, but we've got the right guy in charge to give us a fighting chance.

Sandi from Chicago writes:
I can't say the media coverage has been 'fair and balanced'. In my opinion, the media is pushing the idea that President Obama and his administration should have solved the economic problem by now... and what is it, three weeks into his term?

Paul from Columbia, S.C.
I am surprised you asked this question, Jack, given your obvious bristling at our oft-times critical comments about the media. But since you asked, I watched and heard the swooning of the media back in the Kennedy days and the over-the-top Camelot rubbish. This time around, there was all the promotion of the coming of the new messiah, Barack Obama, by the media before the election. There must be a huge disappointment in the media ranks that another concocted fantasy couldn't be foisted on the public. Better luck next time.

Steve from Tennessee writes:

I give it an OK. It’s that Bush guy you let get away with murder.

1. Paul Austin,Texas

The media coverage of President Obama has been fair for the most part. It does look like some are really looking and waiting for him to fail in some big way. He will not be able make all things good but he will sure give his best and at least try something we have not had in at least 8 years. As for the big fall at this point I do not see it.

February 9, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  2. Mertis

There has been a lot of over kill in the media. Doesn't leave the President any room to make a single mistake without it be coming a national crisis or international incident.

I can only imagine how different our whole world would be today if any of the last 5 or 6 Presidents had been subjected to the 24/7 news cycle we live with today. I bet most of them wouldn't have gotten elected...

Mertis in Atlanta

February 9, 2009 at 1:06 pm |
  3. Anthony Smith

Jack; They have treated him like a rock star and not a president. Atleast, they are getting alittle tougher with the questions. What struck me is that for 2 years, he ran around the country like a cheerleader with pom poms spreading hope and 2 weeks in office and he is Doctor Doom and spreading fear like Bush. Is it me or does this guy have multiple personalities?

Wildwood Crest, NJ

February 9, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  4. John from Alabama

Jack: I hate to use this expression about the media, but " it has been fair and balanced," so far. The reason is the President did not hide from the media, or blame the media for being unfair. Barack Obama stands up an takes the shots fired at him by the press, and he does it with grace and style. This is a real change, if you ask me. I think the new openess from this administration is welcomed and refreshing.

John from Alabama

February 9, 2009 at 1:59 pm |
  5. Dave, Brooklyn, NY

As usual, they spend too much time on trivia, too little time on good probing questions, and a lot of effort into framing the “gotcha” questions. But they are doing a better job than usual, probably because of a realization that they really blew it with the completely free ride they gave the last fool to occupy the oval office.

February 9, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  6. Randy from Salt Lake City

Crummy to lousy to down-right fraudulent. The right-wing media has already decided to slander and smear Obama -things they let Bush slide away with, Obama will be raked over the coals.

February 9, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  7. Denis Duffy

The media coverage is so intense, that it is not worth commenting on.

Denis
    Pittsburgh, Pa.

February 9, 2009 at 2:33 pm |
  8. Don (Ottawa)

Media coverage of Obama is in overdrive. The media seems to love it, but I think the public is getting a bit sick of it. We really don't care about coverage of his first ride on AirForce One, his historic first day in the oval office with his jacket off, or his first superbowl party in the White House. Most of us just want him to get on with it.

February 9, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  9. Steve of Hohenwald TN.

I give it an OK . It`s that bush guy you let get away with murder.

February 9, 2009 at 3:09 pm |
  10. Allen L Wenger

I don't like the media coverage of anything and it doesn't matter if it's from the right or left. We are getting way too much speculation and not near enough facts. Evidently there is not enough news for the networks to cover, because a majority of what they are talking about is not national news and quite a bit of it is not news at all.

Allen
    Mountain Home ID

February 9, 2009 at 3:09 pm |
  11. Meg from Troy, Ohio

Jack–
    I think that the media has been about right. They've been critical when necessary and that's really what it's all about. No complaints here.

February 9, 2009 at 3:16 pm |
  12. Mike, Syracuse NY

Jack, the media seems to have a fascination with everything Obama of a trivial nature (like hitting his head on Marine One and date night); yet seems incapable of asking tough questions. When someone tries, Obama always blows them off, and consistently gets away with it.

February 9, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  13. dbl.r , West Coast

He`s being covered as if he has been president for the last eight years , rather than , less than one month.
    Give the president a chance to implement his recovery package.

February 9, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  14. Darren

President Obama, like JFK, are gifted communicators and I'd give our new president an "A" for his presence in front of the camera and addressing all issues thrown at him.

February 9, 2009 at 3:27 pm |
  15. Karl from SF, CA

The media is doing great, as is President Obama. You ask him a question and he gives you a straight answer, unlike the mispronounced double talk of the Bush years. Had the Iraq war been questioned any more by the media, we would have gotten more lies like the ones we were told from the start. Remember, the real intelligence was classified so how could the media question it?

February 9, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  16. Cori

With headlines that range from Jessica Simpson to bumping his head, I would rate the media from pathetic to desperate.

February 9, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  17. Alex

I'd give the Media's coverage an F because you're biased towards Obama.

February 9, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  18. Noah

Glowing and bordering on the obsessively uncomfortable

February 9, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  19. Paul from Phoenix

Jack,

The media fawned over Obama during the election, why should anything change now?

I am deeply concerned that the media will let things slide. For example: earlier today, on CNN.com, I saw a blip about the troops staying in Iraq longer then expected. It is on the ticker, but a very small headline. This was one of Obama's major campaign promises, and it barely creates a blip.

The media, which already has very little credibility, is in danger of collapsing. If you don't believe me, look at the number of newspaper subscriptions vs. blog website hits.

(p.s. I voted for Obama)

February 9, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  20. Carlo

You know how the media coverage has been, Jack. I'm sure that there are executives, even at your station, who are encouraging you guys to boost up the Republicans to give the appearance of a comeback. The problem is, no one is buying it. We remember why we voted for President Obama, and it will take more than twisted tickers and breaking news nonsense to sway us.

February 9, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  21. Lynn, Columbia, Mo..

So far so good. Keep it up.

February 9, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  22. June-NY

Its been a virtual love fest. I like the guy and think he will be good for the country but when the media is waited with baited breath for "OBAMA'S TRIP ON AIRFORCE ONE, FIRST HELECOPTER RIDE"  it is too much. I don't remember all the fuss being made over Clinton's or Bush's first  trips.I wonder if Chris Mathew's leg is still tingling. A writer in the NYTimes wrote that she dreamed Obama was in her bathroom taking a shower.  Give me a break. The man is human, he will make mistakes and he will do some things well but he he doesn't walk on water.

February 9, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  23. Tesap; Savannah, GA

WEIRD.... He hasn't been in office a month yet.. and the media is oevrdoingit.. big time.......

Tesa, Savannah, GA

February 9, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  24. Brian

The media shouldn't decide whether to be tough or go soft. Report the news and we'll decide. Believe it or not, Americans really can make up their own mind.

February 9, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  25. Peace

The media are not watchdogs!! Media coverage should not be done in a way to strangle the President. He should not be punished because of media failure to cover former Pres. Bush!

February 9, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  26. sunoverla

media coverage?

you mean propoganda department.

February 9, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  27. Matt

Coverage of President Obama has been suffocating – do we really need a daily count of the first 100 days? Where the media has really fallen down on the job has been on the stimulus – why can't you put people who actually support the thing on the air? Last week, you had almost four times as many Republicans on the air spreading uncontested filth as you did Democrats. This week it hasn't been much better. Republicans lost – so how come those losers keep getting so much more air time?

February 9, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  28. david in raleigh, nc

The media is in the tank with Obama. Our media is an arm of the Democratic Party. Obama is getting a free ride for being a Democrat and being Black.

February 9, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  29. Cindy

A little too tabloidish. But, we definitely know everything he's doing... we even know about the wild Racoons in the Whitehouse backyard.

I don't mind, I can filter out what I think is fluff. I give the media a B, with a sprinkle of salt on top.

February 9, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  30. Mike - Hot Springs, Arkansas

Not enough. He is doing a great job in spite of many of you going after him.

February 9, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  31. factcheckr

Other than one cable new channel that seems to pride itself on finding nothing positive to say about President Obama, I think the coverage has been reasonable - critical when necessary, tough when required and, dare I say it, fair and balanced overall.

February 9, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  32. Amber Scott

The media has been able to cover everything that is related to Obama and in doing so avoid covering anything related to the office of the Presidency. Instead of getting honest reporting about how many jobs the stimulus bill will create, you report on how he bumped his head getting into Marine One. Meanwhile, Republicans have been on the march across Sunday morning talk shows wailing their phony outrage about the stimulus. If you ask me, the media has been superficially biased in their reporting of Obama while letting any Republican with vocal chords talk about "substance". It is disgraceful.

Amber
    Los Angeles, CA

February 9, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  33. Jackie - Canada

I think they're too tough on him because of the high expectations. It's only been three weeks and already they have opinion polls....give me a break! I also think the Republicans want him to fail, hence the reason they're pushing back. By the way, now that John McCain realizes that he won't get a post in the Obama's administration, he's against everything! He was agreeing in the beginning....change of heart???

February 9, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  34. Bob - Pittsburgh

Kid Gloves Jack !

February 9, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  35. Ed Woodbridge,Va.

The media has had an ongoing love affair with President Obama, so this is really a moot question! Isn't it?

February 9, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  36. Richard, Syracuse, NY

I believe the Media is giving the President a chance. But so many Republicans are not. The Blogs are full of Anti-Obama rants and so many lies that no one could count that high.

February 9, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  37. Jan Davis in Knoxville, TN

I would rate it A+. President Obama is so likeable I'm sure the press enjoy covering him. He is like a fresh breath of air in Washington, as is his lovely family.

February 9, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  38. Jamie from Philly

Go hard on him or go easy on him, but please don't treat him like Brangelina. Barack Obama is our president, not a rock star. CNN hit a new low when they reported on his bumping his head today; what's next, a "sneeze alert" when Mr. Obama suffers first cold?

February 9, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  39. Richard Harper

The has covered Pres. Obama and his recent decisions quite well, both good and bad. The fact he makes public apologies, invites to conservatives, and improved transperency shows a more media savy pres than the previous.

February 9, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  40. Chris - Savannah GA

I wonder what Walter Cronkite, Huntley and Brinkley, Bernard Shaw and Peter Jennings would think of today's media.....

February 9, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  41. TY

media is obsessed with president Obama, or the ratings he generates for the media! Please let our president do his job peacefully with out interrogating every move he's taking..

February 9, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  42. EBJ

as usual Jack I think it depends on who you ask. Dems will probably say they're too tough or maybe just right, Repubs or the far right will say not tough enough. One thing for sure I say give the man more than 3 weeks to make judgement on him, they ae going surveys almost every week to see what his popularity rating is. I do know it seems that for a new president it seems that the eye holds more scrutiny than in the past, but the presidents of the past didn't seem to have so much handed to them to clean up in their first year in office.

February 9, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  43. Jerry - Toronto

Fair and sometimes over the top. President Obama only been in office less than a month and everyone is expecting miracles (that includes some of the media). Everyone needs to calm down, let him do his job then ask the same question a year from now.

February 9, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  44. Tom Olney

Come on Jack! There has been no critical msm coverage since they threw in the towel for Obama during his campaign. The fourth estate is no longer. When will the msm start to investigate in detail the plans that President Obama has for this country? Stimulus plan, HAH, when they call it a (bloated) spending plan I might begin to listen again.

February 9, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  45. TE from OK

Okay so far, but he certainly won't get the free ride that the Conservative Media gave to Bush for years and years. That may be why we now have this problem because of the conservative media.

February 9, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  46. Rowena NC

Disrespectful....too many still say Obama or Mr. Obama. when only Mr. President or President Obama is appropriate. It seems to me that President Obama is constantly under a microscope. I don't remember it being that way for former presidents...but, maybe I wasn't paying as much attention then as now.

February 9, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  47. Pugas-AZ

It seems to be fairly good to-date. The bloom is coming of of the rose as Obama walks the path of country leadership. This can be expected. Let's give him some room to try and straighten this terrible mess out. It's easy to be critical but we need the voice of reason not the usual "what have you done for me today."

February 9, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  48. PWG

I have never seen a president scrutinized for his every move like President Obama has. If George W Bush had been watched and scrutinized like this, just maybe America wouldn't be in the bad condition they are currently in.

February 9, 2009 at 4:42 pm |
  49. Anne England

The media has had a 60s-style love affair with Obama. Maybe it's because he's pretty; maybe it's because he is ultra liberal. My bet is that it is both. Will the fairness doctrine address this issue? Bring back true journalism!

February 9, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  50. CHITOWNGAL07

I think the honeymoon might be over as soon as the stimulus (pork) package goes through....

February 9, 2009 at 4:53 pm |
  51. Joe, Chicago, IL

Not tough enough. He breaks down when asked a tough question and the rest of the media jumps on the journalist.

There have never been a better time to ask the tough questions. People need to understand what is going on.

Take the Stimulus package for instance. Weeks ago, so so many people supported it. After weeks of leaking little pieces here and there, people are outrage. Only 1 of 3 support the package.

Ask the hard questions. There is no honeymoon for the President.

February 9, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  52. TREP

The coverage of the President has been fairly good–hitting him on some issues when it was warranted (nominations), but generally supportive on his bipartisan outreach. What has been slanted is the coverage of the stimulus package. It has been so pro-Republican that it is not even funny., throwing out Republican talking points as if they were objectively true ignoring the last 8 years.

February 9, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  53. Cecil

The media coverage of President Obama has been poor at best. They focus on opposition to the Stimulus bill and never put the GOP opposition in proper context. Add up the cost of all the programs the GOP have complained about and they are about 1% of the total bill. At the same time the GOP offers more of the failed policy that got us in this mess. If the press is going to focus on President Obama bumping his head on the helicopter door, how about some coverage of the GOP blowing away 40% of America's wealth and arroganlty refusing to admit they have cut their heads off in the prop.

February 9, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  54. Janice in NC

Where was this kind of scrutiny all the years of Bush?? My goodness, the kinds of things the Bush Administration got away with.....has everyone just now awaken?

February 9, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  55. Karwolo

Rate the media coverage? Why do you care Jack? The media should not care about what the public thinks, report the facts as they are. That is all we care about.

February 9, 2009 at 5:04 pm |
  56. Bob from New Brighton, PA

24/7 is pretty complete coverage. I will have to admit we haven't see him go to the bathroom yet.

February 9, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  57. Rose in Az

Are you kidding? During his two year campaign he could do no wrong according to the media and they are still making excuses for him. He needs to do some work and stop having these TV sessions.

February 9, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  58. Daniel, Loganville. Ga.

I just have one question...Where was all this concern prior to this adminstration?

February 9, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  59. V.K. RAMAN, SPARKS

Media coverage on Obama's efforts is 70% negative as Media is concentraing on what is or was not being done right and it is wrong to do that especially when Obama has completed only 17 days since take over the Presidency.

February 9, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  60. Big D

I'd say that the media coverage is slightly more negative than it needs to be. But let me tell you what I'm much more concerned about – the media's inexplicably oversaturated coverage of the GOP in Congress. What in the world is the reason that the R's are given so much air time to express their oppositional views? I've never seen anything like this before on any topic. Do you ever remember the D's getting so much time to express their views to a GOP bill? This is ridiculous – and besides that their view is so warped and their rhetoric is so dilusional. So why are they given so much time to spout all of this?

February 9, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  61. John, Winston-Salem, NC

I believe the president has been aggressive since day one, and that has scared a lot of people that aren't use to see a president working and "grabbing the bull by the horns".

February 9, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  62. Deb in Lancaster, PA

What bothers me more is the credence the press is giving to the GOP that is so out of touch with the needs of the middle class and for that reason was deep-sixed in November.
    The press needs to focus as much on the folks, like ECONOMISTS, who are advising that their ideas stink.
    Asking a Republican to do something that will help the middle class is like asking a polar bear to help a salmon.

February 9, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  63. lynn

just right.

February 9, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  64. BobC

The press hasn't been objective enough. Stories range from breathless commentary on his style to invective against his policies. Each media outlet is playing to its own home crowd, scoring its rating points.

February 9, 2009 at 5:55 pm |
  65. Paula from Texas

The press was clobbered for its pre-election coverage of Obama, so now they're making up for it by giving the GOP center stage. Just as the shoddy treatment of Clinton led to a permanent honeymoon for Bush, the press always maintains a guilty conscience.

February 9, 2009 at 6:02 pm |
  66. Betty, San Diego, Ca.

The media coverage of President Obama has a lot of bias and a lot of bull. It is becoming more and more difficult to filter through the morass.

February 9, 2009 at 6:04 pm |
  67. Jill from TN

I think the coverage of the man himself has been a bit affected by the afterglow of the inauguration, but it is understandable since it's so different to have a leader with a brain and a work ethic. In contrast, I think the coverage of the stimulus bill has been slanted toward the problems within it as opposed to the rationale for it.

February 9, 2009 at 6:04 pm |
  68. Judy, Exeter, Calif,

I think it will be fine, just as long as the sharks go after the right things for the right reasons. I sometimes get a headache listening to some of the media coverage. Right now, the economy, and his cabinet are at the top of my list.

February 9, 2009 at 6:06 pm |
  69. The End of America by obama

The MSM in this country absolutely stinks.
    I hope people will remember their names when they come to realize what a dangerous fake obama really is.

February 9, 2009 at 6:06 pm |
  70. SJAY in Houston, TX

The media appears to have taken sides. They either love or hate him...so maybe it balances out. Citizens are not fooled by either...general consensus among people I know is that we're all willing to give him a chance to do right by America. President Obama couldn't possibly do as bad a job as his predecessor, even if he stuck his head in the sand for the next four years.

February 9, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  71. lucky121

Media coverage on President Obama has been just about right.

February 9, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  72. Kevin Downey,Wilmington, Vt.

Top rate, Mate.....

February 9, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  73. Morgan C

I think it's been too critical. This is our president! If the mainstream media displayed half as much skepticism during the Bush administration we might not have gone into Iraq, run up the deficient or shredded the constitution. Give the man a chance, folks!

February 9, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  74. sue maccia

I think the coverage is everything it should have been when George Bush was in office. Too bad. Maybe we wouldn't be in the bind we're in if it had. Better late than never.

February 9, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  75. Mike

Media Coverage? How could we miss it! He's been all over everyplace!

February 9, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  76. James P.

It's a slobbering love affair.

February 9, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  77. Bernadette Loesch

Jack, The media is doing an excellent job of covering the new president and his administration since he was elected. Bush hid behind Dana Perino and Condie Rice while Cheney was squirraled away in the West Wing running the country. BRAVO to you and others!

February 9, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  78. JN - Livonia MI

Are you kidding me! Media and bloggers are hanging on his every word just to twist it into what fits their agenda.

President Obama is doing a great job so far!

February 9, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  79. Betty Parker Ellis

That's okay. If the fourth estate doesn't sufficiently cover the Obama administration then the fifth estate will. You ask, what is the fifth estate? Why the answer is The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Colbert Report, Saturday Night Live, Jay Leno, David Letterman, and more. Yes, we are now looking to our comedians to fill in the gaps left by the news media.

February 9, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  80. karen elliott

I feel the Media is doing an excellent job on covering President Obama. I just love Cnn-Wolf and Jack-you two are wonderful-I watch Cnn 24-7. Keep up the great job. Everyone on Cnn is great. Wonderful coverage on everything around the world. Thank You.

February 9, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  81. Mike

The Media Coverage has been superb....How the heck could you miss it??

February 9, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  82. Meike Olin

I voted for Obama, and so far, I think he's doing fairly well. But the press seems as in love with him as they seemed with Bush just after September 11. Obama's feet should be held as close to the fire as any other president.

February 9, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  83. Jason, Texas

I think its good, that the media is covering Obama this much. They should toughen up, Hell, its something that should have been done extensively 8 years ago.

February 9, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  84. Mary K

Coverage is fair, respectful and balanced. The media believes in 'trust but verify', which seems to be welcomed by our President who has promised transparency. It is nice to see the office of the President regaining dignity in the eyes of Americans and the world.

February 9, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  85. Mark in Arkansas

Media coverage is a 2-way street. The ones covering, and the one being covered. Over the last 8 years, we've had good media coverage, but a leader that couldn't get one sentence straight without a mistake in facts or grammar. Now, we have a leader that presents his ideas with strength and conviction. The coverage is fair, the one being covered is excellent.

February 9, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  86. Darby Lezhava

The media has spent so much time broadcasting the sour grapes of the Republicans in congress and the few parts of the stimulus that the republicans don't like that it has neglected to explain that even those things – such as money for the arts and family planning clinics are jobs for people in those industries!!! Obama is trying to repair the massive catastrophy that the Republican President has left him with, the media should be emphasising the positive things that can help our desperate country!

February 9, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  87. Ndeloh

Though enough? Give me a break! Obama's love affair with the media that was all over the campaign trail is still riding on. I don't think the media will have the guts to ask this administration necessary though questions anytime soon.

February 9, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  88. Alfred S. Thornton

You guys are all over him like swarming ant. You make me itch.

February 9, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  89. Andy Anderson

RE: the media coverage of President Obama so far has been very mixed, depending on the venue. Most of the print and cable outlets except for Newsweek and MSNBC are tiptoeing around whether the US has transitioned to all out socialism; most media outlets didn't do a thing to probe the Ayers and ACORN connections during the election; hardly anyone is engaging in fact-based objective reporting or providing context or more government officials would be headed to prison than there are right now. (zero) I agree with the person who said most media cover the new President like a "rock star", which says more about the abandonment of journalism than it does about any nefarious plots. Nobody wants to do the work anymore.

February 9, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  90. Sue

I am basically independent, vote on issues not party.

I do not feel that the media responsibly covers Pres Obama. They talk about the most ridiculous things and never pin him down on substantive issues.

You may see a brave reporter ask a tough question but nobody on regular tv or even CNN seems to remark on the fact that they are blown off and the question not answered. Still he gets away with it and regular media continues to drool , I just don't get it !!

February 9, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  91. Hubert Brown

If you personally disagree with something you get tough. If you agree you mostly do not present the other side or if you do it is done in a sarcastic manor. That is bias media.

February 9, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  92. Luis Gamio

Clearly tougher than it ever was of the former President. But, a glaring weakness of Democracy is the lack of built-in oversight. By defaulf, this must be done by the media and the tougher, the better

February 9, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  93. Debbie Cassetta

The media is way too invested in the President, and they continue to gloss over issues and actions that demand scrutiny. It is a sad commentary on the state of media and a true detriment to the long-term security of the nation.

February 9, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  94. Maria, Caifornia

I see it for the massive hypocrisy it is. Suddenly they have a president who is offering more transparency and forthrightness and the press (CNN included) turns into a pack of howling, whining wolves. Seems like everytime I turn on the TV I feel like gagging. I never saw the level of pressure weighed against Bush in two entire terms that I've see with President Obama and this newly, emboldened media. They failed in their job to hold our last president accountable, but now they have decided to remove all the oxygen in the press room for our new president to get his sea legs. I find their behavior cowwardly and, yes, hypocritical.

February 9, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  95. Darius

you talk to much of what everybody know about PRES O
    BUT you don't talk enough about the same old DC crap still taking place instead of the promised "change" that ain't happening. Could the same old bias and love fest with news people have anything to do with it?
    The coverage is so over the top covering up and under for the new pres.
    Darius

February 9, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  96. Mollie Schuerman

The media is a right wing tool . No matter what President Obama says, they twist the facts. Hopefully, the poll numbers will show them that what they say to turn people off on him, isn't working. This country wants change not the same old trash talk that the media seems to think we want to hear.
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin

February 9, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  97. Mike in Colorado

The media has covered Obama like a glove. We now know he bumped his head getting into Marine 1, what he wears, But the media has ignored the Stimulus package. Studies have shown that Rs have been featured on newscasts by a margin of 2 to 1. CNN however had the most favorable ratio of the alleged news channels.

February 9, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  98. Terry, TX

Slobbering is what I describe the media …..who is paying for this media’ .
    I do not believe I elected Mrs. Obama …. she is not an elected official …. this is not a secret weapon for the President ….because she becomes a target ….and may I take the first shot…. stay home!

February 9, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  99. Mary from Colorado

The media covers everything with an incompetence that is overwhelming.

February 9, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  100. Ron Powell, New Haven, CT

Jack,
    The media is handling the Obama Presidency like a child with a new toy on Christmas morning. They will play with it until they wear it out or break it. I am 62 years old andcannot remember a time when so much attention has been paid to the smallest details of a new president's administration. This observation includes the love affair that we had with JFK's administration and family. Would we be hearing and seeing so much detail and analysis if McCain had won the election? Perhaps you should remind people that Barack Obama will still be the first African American President 4 years from now and, even if he is just mildly successful, will most likely become the first 2-term African American President.....

February 9, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  101. Diane Boatwright

A perfect example was the report of "popular opinion" 51% supported the stimulus bill......What if they didn't support it because it wasn't BIG enough or if they disagreed with some of the Senate "modifications"? The response depends on how the question is presented. Another example of biased reporting.

February 9, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  102. Laurel Brooks

I believe the issue is not how the media covered President Bush vs. how they cover President Obama. I believe the issue is how superficial and sensationalized all the coverage tends to be. More in-depth coverage on the rush to war in Iraq would have perhaps prevented that tragedy. More questioning of what Republicans and Democrats claim about the economic crisis and the stimulus package might result in better solutions to our national problems. The press seems to accept as fact statements made when, in fact, these statements may not be true and accurate. Why doesn't the news challenge questionable statements and help the American public learn to think more critically?

February 9, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  103. Rose

I do think the media coverage of President Obama has been skewed to gather support of his administration, NOT to inform we, your CNN viewers.
    I am tired of having to switch back & forth between media outlets, including the BBC in order to get information that does not have political bias. Whatever happened to the "Who – What – When – Where & sometimes Why" that is the basic standard for journalists? The "Why is now network editiorial bias, not facts where your viewers can use the information to make their own decisions.

Can somebody please tell me WHY is this February 16th date is so important that Obama has literally "cut it in to granite" as the last date to save America?

Rose, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

February 9, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  104. Audrey Island

It seems to me that the media is over-compensating to demonstrate that they will not give President Obama the same free ride they gave President Bush during the run up to the Iraq war. This sort of mind-set is likely to negatively impact the necessary and desirable changes that President Obama wants to make, and that the American people voted for when we elected him.

February 9, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  105. josephine

jack i would say ok not to good nor bad.

February 9, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  106. Deborah, Los Angeles

Republicanesque and very spastic.

February 9, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  107. Austin

Drama. If there's slow news you guys no how to beef it up to make more of it than it really is. Drama Queens all.

February 9, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  108. John Jacobs

Obamania continues to stimulate news and the press could not even ignore coverage when he bumped his head entering his Marine One and that speak volumes on how the press is closely on the spot covering.

February 9, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  109. Lesa

OK SO YOU TALK ABOUT IT. You guys don't like anybody. I'm good with that. I get it. He is out there. HE IS TALKING TO YOU. He seems to be doing it without an puppeteer on what or how to do it. He has a plan he is willing to talk about it with us. Here's an idea. Let's get behind him. Maybe we could make a difference. He is doing something besides Deny, Deny Deny.

February 9, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  110. Harold

The media coverage of President Obama has being fantastic and on point. Please continue to challenge him with meaningful questions and suggestions. That's the role that you as the media are supposed to uphold and at the same time help the great citizens of this nation reap from his campaign promises. We the citizens applaud you all for a job well done.

February 9, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  111. Mary Mann, Atlanta, ga

Right now you need to get tough on the republicans. Aside from condoms & nicotine (which I think most agree on) ; What changes have they suggested to make the bill a better one? How about they detail where they racked up all that debt while there were substansial tax cuts. Every day they whine another company sees no action and lays off thousands more. Guess the hypocrites thnk if they oppose spending now, the public will forget what brought us to this point. I'm an independant and I won't forget and I hope you will keep reminding the American people. Start with Medicare part D that Bush HAD TO PASS. How much is that costing taxpayers each year? If the War is a small part of our budget then where in H has the debt come from?

February 9, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  112. Phyllis

I think the media is fair with President Obama. When something wrong or happened, they are all over him. Now. If the question was, is FOX news ifair with President Obama? The answer is No!!! They are mad because he became president. If President Obama do everything he say he would do, they still would not like him. He cannot every win with Fox News. All the one who think that President Obama is in a love affair with the media are those to the right!!! Shall I say anymore.

February 9, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  113. Tra Johnson

Jack, It's been atrocious! Just think about it. If it were not for cnn, fox, msnbc...etc... most of america would not know about Rush Limbaugh's rhetoric. Instead of allowing OUR president to conduct business and assist in his transition into office, the media spends more time on radio hosts, what the taliban had to say about our president (calling him a house negro), and letting John Mccain continue his stump speech. Think about it. PRESIDENT OBAMA has done nothing to hinder the growth or prosperity of Americans, but somehow the media has devoted more time to negative issues as if they think they can somehow control the minds of americans and not offend them. President Obama has more support than any president in recent history, and his popularity is unfounded. So if the media would go back to old fashion reporting and not conjecture I might change my mind about only receiving my Obama news from whitehous.gov.

Thanks Jack, Keep up the good work!

Tra Johnson

February 9, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  114. Bob Harris

CNN has been best. Repubs are just still crying the blues for losing.

February 9, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  115. Lise T

I am glad to say the coverage appears to be better. The constant petty reporting was beginning to be very annoying, and has caused me to turn the channel more than once. It is okay for the media to have opinions but snide remarks such as “Let’s see how long the kumbaya last" with wolfish grins, do not speak well for the media or their profession. There is no doubt reporting should be done on President Obama and any other applicable source. The bashing and bickering takes on a reality show persona which is not what serious news shows should be about.

February 9, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  116. PC Chicago

SPIN, SPIN, SPIN please why should we listen to your BIAS opinions, give the President breathing room. For God Sake.

February 9, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  117. Kim in Dodge City, KS

The media is, has , and always will be motivated by ratings and advertising revenue. To think that they would be pursuing any other interest other than their own is naive at best.

February 9, 2009 at 6:43 pm |