September 17th, 2008

How can your faith in government be restored?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi told MSNBC yesterday that the Democrats do not bear any responsibility for the mess on Wall Street.  Democrats have had control of congress for the past 2 years, and Republicans pointed out they haven't passed any legislation regulating congressional excesses.

If they had tried, it probably wouldn't have mattered.

The White House likely would have vetoed it or Republicans in the Senate would have blocked it, and it never would have passed to begin with...

Whether it's the economy, energy or foreign policy, the interests of the American people increasingly take a backseat to partisan politics, finger-pointing and the blame game.

There's no commonality of purpose to cooperate in the interests of our citizens. The parties only pretend to care about us, but they don't really.

What they care about is holding onto power at all costs - which is why this presidential election is going to "cost" in the neighborhood of one billion dollars.

And you can bet Congress will take its next vacation the end of this month right on schedule.

Here’s my question to you: What would it take to restore your faith in our government?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Kevin from Colorado writes:
Obama offering a cabinet post to McCain after he wins the White House. And McCain accepting with excitement and working hard to support Obama's plans.

Donna from Ashland, Oregon writes:
My faith in our government would be restored if the people currently in Congress would do the right thing and impeach Bush and Cheney. Instead, they are too worried about covering their own tails.

Regina writes:
Since it is obvious that we are heading into a Depression, we need a New Deal from the government to restore confidence. Let's get people back to work.

Dan writes:
Give the White House to Obama with a solid majority in both houses and America will look like the country the middle class remembers.

Nick from Kansas City, Missouri writes:
Jack, it would take a miracle, and I'm an athiest so that isn't very likely for me.

Dennis writes:
Change the players in both the White House and Congress. If the people of this country do not start to pay attention to who our leaders are and what they are doing, they may wake up one morning without a country.

Mark writes:
Two words: Term Limits.

Filed under: US Government
  1. Marieth, Chicago

THAT'S AN EASY ONE. "PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA" (TOO EASY.) OBAMA '08 O-YEAH!!!!

September 17, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  2. Chuck from Exton, PA

As my father would say... "Throw the Bums OUT !"

September 17, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  3. chris

Yes – if Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi are removed from office then Congress can finally get to work and accomplish something!

September 17, 2008 at 2:09 pm |
  4. Steve

Yes, if we elect Barack Obama.

September 17, 2008 at 2:09 pm |
  5. Carol c.

The Bush administration has soured me so and McCain who I thought was an honorable man has stooped to even worse tactics than Bush that I just don't know! I thought when you were served a subpoena that you had to honor it or go to jail! What if all Americans ignored them?

Barack and Joe seem to have a handle on honesty–hopefully if they are elected we will see a more open presidency and that they truly care for the middle class. God knows the republicans have failed miserably!

Knoxville, TN

September 17, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  6. Dave, Brooklyn, NY

Honesty. Keep in mind, a third Bush term would be jumping the shark. The first season was so bad that it should have been cancelled

September 17, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  7. Terry, Chandler AZ

My faith in government can be restored with the election of a person who can excite me about his plan for America, a man who has the ability to ignite enthuiasm, a man who can and will lead with character and integrity. This man has wisdom far beyond his 48 years on planet Earth.

September 17, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  8. LaVerne E Brison from Los Angeles, Ca.

Jack: No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But getting the Republicans out of office would be a big start.

September 17, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  9. Donna Colorado Springs,Co

September 17, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  10. Michael Haimson

In a democracy the people get the government they deserve. When you have Barack Obama aligned with the American people on almost every issue, and John McCain still leading in the polls, we have to stop whining about the government and look in the mirror. If the American people cannot be bothered to put the Big Macs down and turn off Deal or No Deal for a little while to study the issues and make an intelligent decision about the future of this nation then perhaps we no longer deserve to be a superpower.

September 17, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  11. Steven from NJ

If the government could tell us the "whole truth, and nothing but the truth", even if it hurts. I meight get back my faith in them. But, after all the lies they used to get so into the Iraq war, I cannot not trust them. I even have a hard time believing the reports about what Iran is up to. After, all this could just be another set of lies to go to war with them.

September 17, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  12. Larry Towne

I think neither of the primary canditates could effect change in dc, therefore, I'm voting libritarian this year and hoping enough people will join me to make the major parties sit up and take notice.

September 17, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  13. Donna Colorado Springs,Co

It would take an overwhelming victory by Barack Obama over John McCain in November to restore my faith. I'm afraid that all of the lies and distortions coming out of McBushs campaign are going to guarantee him a win, and I'm not sure that I, or anyone else with any intelligence can stand for that to happen. We would all be in for a VERY LONG FOUR YEARS!

September 17, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  14. Francheska

I have faith in goverment...we have a the greatest set of laws in the world to govern us...it is the people we send to power that I have lost faith in.

September 17, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  15. Frank from Peterborough

From my perspective the first step would be for the GOP to retool their policies and platforms. They simply stand for allowing corporatations full reigns to get the highest possible profits without concern for the fallout some of their business practices create.

Governments have to govern for all the people and recognize what may be great for one segment might not be all that good for another which requires some oversight to make sure greed doesn't overcome common sense.

The other part of the equation would to get religion out of politics and the government. A person's own beliefs may be their own but not the same as others they have to work for on a national level.

September 17, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  16. Von Jacksonville, Fl

Jack,
    I would feel better, if we do not allow Bush 44 into the white house. I am so afraid that this election will be stolen. When I see that McCain is trying to shut down the investigation of Gov Palin, I am very, very discouraged. I am not wealthy and my husband and I are just holding on. McCain does not care about the little people and even thought he says "County First" we know it is just words.

September 17, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  17. Connie

Jack, i can't answer that , when my faith in the American people in this election is at an all time low. People have been complaining about the dirty , corrupt administration and now are willing to put the very same people back in the white house, because they have selected Dick Cheney in drag to be VP. I am putting my faith the young people. Old white woman for Obama.
    Connie from Indiana

September 17, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  18. David

well if the fourth spok of government would do its job rather that feeding us want they thiunk we need to hear to get they man elacted.

Keeping them honest my a**.

CNN editors need to stop cutting the film at the same places as the Obama poeple do or are they one and the same?

September 17, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  19. Julie - Kentucky

To have a Democrat for President and a congress that is Democrat. It's time to have something different. If they don't do the job, then it needs to swing back. That's why we have a "choice" for President. Ya think???

September 17, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  20. MW / Newman, CA

Simply put – Do what you say you are going to do while campaigning. That would be a good start.

September 17, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  21. Darlene Phila, PA

Only if Obama and Biden are running it and most of the republicans get booted out of the senate and congress.

September 17, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  22. Ed Reed

Extract every last Bush ideologue from government and replace them with people who approach each problem with rational thought rather than making decisions based upon political orthodoxy or talking points handed to them from their Party's headquarters.

Ed Reed
    Port Aransas, TX

September 17, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  23. Miko Kansas City

I don't remember how it used to be to live in a stable america. These last eight years have been the worst ever and it is like McCain is saying to us "give me another chance" . I just want it to go back to how it was when clinton was in office.

September 17, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  24. David, Tampa, Fl

Put simply, take our politician out of the pockets of business. Have people of faith keep it in their place of worship, their home and, most importantly, in their hearts and not shoved down my throat. And most of all do away with political parties. They are primarily interested in increasing the wellbeing of their party members at the expense of those that do not share their outlook on things.

September 17, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  25. Mark - Asheville, NC

Seeing Bush and Cheney gone, for starters. I remember how liberating it felt the day that Nixon left and Ford took over, even if he was another Republican. Jan 20 will be like that, even though it will be McCain, but Bush will no longer be there, just like Nixon (who seems now to not have been nearly so bad, compared to the past eight years!).

Next, Congress. It will take far more for my faith in them to be restored. A whole bunch of them needs to leave, as well.

September 17, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  26. Brett Oriskany,Va

Jack, thats a tough question. I,m a native American an we KNOW how the government has lied to us in the past. Its hard to believe a word anyone says these days. Waffling and petty accusations are the highlights of this campaign while the economy goes down the tubes and I pay $5 for gas. Well i certainly won.t trust a republican these days, this unregulated economy is their doing. And the democrats appear not to anything at all,leastwise not in congress. We need a fix like FDR gave us in 30's and I dont know if anyone out there has the vision. Obama seems to be the best bet out there. But I fear America is more concerned with abortion,gay marriage and other such issues to actually read the news and see our economy is collapsing. Its going to be a long time before i trust the government. Until the government does something for the people, i deem it untrustworthy,sold out to special interests. For example, Pres. Bush said something a few days ago that we wont tolerate gas gouging, then why does my local station charge $5? Its the "Big Lie" again tell it enough and they'll believe it. my government has no respect for me why should i have any for them.

September 17, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  27. Penelope

Is race a factor? Of course, that is the reason why Lynn Forester de Rothschild is supporting McCain. She doesn't likes Obama because the color of his skin. This country is in big trouble and idiots in this country are worrying about the color of his skin. It doesn't matter he is smarter and more educated than McCain and Palin put together, we can't have a black but really bi-racial man in the white house. The "American Empire" is falling down piece by piece as the Romans did. The American people would rather go through hell for another four years than elect a bi-racial man to straighten up the country. This is still the most prejudice and racist country in the world and we are getting just what we deserve. Evidently, McCain has no idea what is going on when he selected Palin for his running mate a brunette Barbi ( brainless). She can't even keep her household straight. If they get elected, we will have more guns and millions of teenage girls pregnant. A former Republican.

September 17, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  28. Jayne

My only hope – and the only way my faith might be restored – is a Democratic sweep in November. The Republicans got us into this awful mess and they are not competent to get us out of it. Vote for Obama and for every other Democrat down ticket.

September 17, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  29. Lynn Lahman

(1) Firing all 535 members of Congress and replacing them with newbies who don't want the job.

(2) Firing the Bush/Cheney/Rove administration and replacing them with..........hmmmmm.........I don't know, maybe me. Lord knows I couldn't possibly screw it up any worse than it is now!

Lynn
    Phoenix

September 17, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  30. Colleen, Charlotte, NC

Resoundingly YES! Get us out of Iraq. Use the $10B per month towards paying off our debt, creating green infrastructure, enabling education programs and offering every USA citizen the right to proper Healthcare!
    Elect Obama / Biden 08

September 17, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  31. Jackie in Dallas

It would help if the voters of the country would stop viewing the Presidental race as a vote on "Americal Idol", but what I'd like to see is some of our more culpable miscreants in the Executive Branch, and the Congress, be impeached and tried for crimes against the people, for subverting citizen rights, and for malfeasence in office. Our current President and his military advisors should also be tried before the World Court in Den Haag for violations against the Geneva Convention, as well.

Barring those things, election of a young, smart, innovative man to the highest position in our government, and his appointment of one of our brightest women to a top role in his cabinet will do for a start.

September 17, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  32. Sam Taylor Oroville california

We will all befine Jack, IF We remember which party has the real
    Americans, and which has the Commie Bastards.
    Ronald reagan is the Messiah, and Bill Clinton is the Antichrist.

September 17, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  33. treeman

With the way our government is going right now, the only way to restore our faith in government is to throw the rascals(Congress) out on election day! There's been plenty of hate going around Congress's hallowed halls these days which isn't very conducive in getting things done. Most elected officials are not really interested in the people's interest, but in their own interests – getting elected or getting a little extra "campaign money", if you know what I mean. What ever happened to the statesmen if yore? I really miss them.

September 17, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  34. Joe in VA

Easy one Jack! Peace and prosperity at home, secure borders, a serious bi-partisan move toward energy independence, and putting the American people's interest before special interests or foreign intrigues. I know it's too much to hope for be we can wish, can't we?

Joe
    Chatham, VA

September 17, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  35. Sam Taylor Oroville california

We will all be fine Jack, IF We remember which party has the real
    Americans, and which has the Commie Bastards.
    Ronald reagan is the Messiah, and Bill Clinton is the Antichrist.

September 17, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  36. Kate Idaho

Kick the all Bums out and start anew.

September 17, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  37. don

with the nomination of obama and mccain; NEVER! Gov. Mitt Romney was the clearest, wisest choice of the republican's; democrats have a whole other issue!

September 17, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  38. Sandra fromTexas

Competence would go a long way. Truth, honesty, and responsiblity would help. In short, the Republicans absolutely Must Go.

September 17, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  39. Harrietta

Harrietta(Kansas)
    Jack,a good start would be for the Dems. to get in the White House. One thing we know for sure wwhen the Dems are in,the Republicans are always on a witch hunt, so we will always know what is going on.
    I still have you and your family in my prayers.

September 17, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  40. Pliny - St. Louis, MO

Jack,
    For my faith in government to be restored I would have to see politicians uphold their oath to support and defend the Constitution for a change. I would have to see the budget shrink down, unconstitutional spending eliminated, taxes diminish, and general national government power reduce. I would have to see an end to the government promising the people everything whilst presuming to dictate our lives to us. In essence, I would have to see a return to limited government of narrow powers which had as its principle concern the promotion of liberty.

Pliny,
    St. Louis, MO

September 17, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  41. Beverly

I think it's too late to fix me. I'm just another flat face in a lengthening line of cynics. I think Obama is the best option to avoid being nibbled to death by goldfish; that's not hope, Jack, it's resignation.

Sometimes nothing seems to make very much sense; so very sorry for your deeply, personal loss.

Bev from Texas

September 17, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  42. Jes (State College, PA)

My faith will be restored when we have "fair" elections this fall.

September 17, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  43. Patrick, Marysville Oh

Sure..my faith can be restored, if Obama is elected it will not only restore my faith in government..it will also restore my pride in this country.

September 17, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  44. Fred, Las Vegas, NV

Sure Mr Cafferty, only if McSame goes back to his ranch in Arizona and Sarah Palin goes back to her classmates in Alaska.

September 17, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  45. Pat_Pinehurst NC

It would take leadership that expects us to accept responsibility for our own fortune and fate. What I like best about Senator Obama is that he want us involved in the process, to in fact, act like citizens and have a stake in the future of this nation, to help restore the gobal respect we once enjoyed.

September 17, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  46. Chris from NY

No. My faith cannot be restored in the Government but if Obama wins my faith can be restored in the people that run the government .

September 17, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  47. Conor in Chicago

1) A Constitutional Ammendment making belief in religion a crime.
    2) The prosecution, conviction, and execution of the Neo-Conservate operatives in our government-including the Chief Executive.
    3) A victory of any political party in the country that is not Republican.
    4) The return of all military forces outside of the US to within US borders (Save the Battle vs. the Taliban), ie, the end of the empire.
    5) A clear vision, path, and goal to achieve energy independance-one at least as good as Obama's plan.

September 17, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  48. carol

Can my faith in the goverment be restored?
    Its truly "Getting Ugly Out There" and I'm afraid the media is 50% responsible for that fact. Wanting that great headline, scoop, etc. Many times its not an accurate statement but it is passed alone as a truth. Much of the media would rather tell a false statement because its more interesting than researching for the facts. I guess its easier to say we're sorry than check for facts( though I don't think I've every heard that statement). Small false statements can make or break our nation and the media doesn't care. And that is where the media has become responsible in causing many to lose faith. The listener needs to stop and take their share of the responsibility and say "where's the proof"
    Yes my faith can be restored when the media changes its policy of reporting.

carol
    Springfield, OR

September 17, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  49. Dennis in Albuquerque

Two things:

1. Get rid of the current imperial administration.

2. Elect Obama, not McSame.

September 17, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  50. Dori in AZ

Well, Jack,

Get the venomous rattlesnakes OUT of government and replace them with the non-venomous bull snakes that keep the vermin population down to a manageable level and are known to occasionally take out a rattlesnake on their own.

Translated, that means get McCain and his cronies out, and replace them with Obama and Biden. That would be the beginning of restoring my faith. . . .

September 17, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  51. Colleen, Charlotte, NC

Yes. Impeach George Bush.

September 17, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  52. Bo

I'm not a republican or a democrat, but electing Obama would help restore my faith in government. For the same bums who have led us to this mess the last 8 years to be given the keys all over again for the next 4...would be proof beyond doubt, and belief that they system is broken beyond repair. 80% of the people in this country thinks we're heading in the wrong direction. If democracy is working correctly, this should be a slam dunk.

September 17, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  53. Roger (Dallas, TX)

Not with John McCain as President. I have always had faith in America but not in the Republican party and the past 8 years have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that they cannot be trusted. We need a fresh start, a fresh face and some new ideas. That is what Barack Obama offers and he should be given the opportunity to lead. I lost any respect I had for Sen. McCain when he picked Sarah Palin – was that meant to be a joke or does he honestly believe she even meets the MINIMUM qualifications necessary to be President.

Obama/Biden for America!!

September 17, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  54. Tina (Fort Worth)

When I see Marshall Dillion and Chester ride out of town and the Democrats take over again.

September 17, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  55. Jackson

If they can get over their severe case of Cranial-Rectal Inversion, I'll call it a start.

Jackson
    Rome, GA

September 17, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  56. Mike Cassidy, Cleveland, Ohio

For starters, lets try having some real leadership and a government that will actually listen to the American Public for a change!

September 17, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  57. matthew, newark NJ

It will be restored, if for once, people would wake up realize that our proverbial 'next door neighbor' or the guy 'down by the pub' or some 'frat boy I'd like to have beer with who's the life of the party' is PRECISELY the reason NOT to vote someone into the white house!!
    Every other prominent country elects their brightest and best, their experts, scholars, exceptional citizens to lead them . . . why can't we?! People who run the world aren't everyday ordinary folks. Haven't we learned from the last 8 years!? Sadly there are some idiots who put McCain in because of Palin . . .!

September 17, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  58. Jason, Koloa, HI

That question assumes that I actually ever had faith in government. I'm not biting.

September 17, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  59. Wake Up America!

I never gave up on America. I believe in America! I just don't believe in the Republicans running America!

September 17, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  60. Thomas, Yo.town, OH

It's going to take a REVOLUTION. .......maybe even two.

September 17, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  61. mitchell ,arkansaw

stimulus!
    stimulus!
    stimulus!
    some hope wouldn't hurt....

September 17, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  62. Judy, Exeter, Calif,

Only if Obama is elected president. I think the McCain camp is a pack of liars.

September 17, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  63. Larry from Georgetown, Texas

Only if we implemented my plan in a book that is to be published early next year titled, "Destiny; The Road to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue". It is fiction that over throws the current government and puts in a new Constitution based on The Declaration of Independence.

September 17, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  64. mariel,sc

I've been a life-long Republican, until this election. Every one I have known that were Republicans were voting that way based on the perception of a stronger dose of faith into their party. The old 'value-added' idea. But that is just a well-crafted campaign placebo and an illusion.

What would restore my faith in politics would be for all of America, for every diverse, unique person to work together as an enormous unified team and vote for the issues rather than the status quo to bring real change to our country.

September 17, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  65. Beverley, Fredricksburg Va

Jack,

Pigs must fly! Lipstick is optional!

September 17, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  66. ray carlson; florence, SC

Senators Obama & Biden & a whole new Congress. Anybody who has been in Washington, DC for six years or more needs to be replaced before they become totally corrupt. When the electorate realizes when have the power to enforce " term limits" and do it we will have better government.

September 17, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  67. Frank

If Obama is elected yes, otherwise I will have lost the little that was remaining of my faith in government.

September 17, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  68. James S. Lenon - Chuckey TN

To restore my faith in the U.S. government, members of Congress and Senators would have to be housed in dormitories, driven to and from work each day in busses, fined for missing work days, and expected to work 50 weeks a year for the minimum wage. Further, their access to health care and their retirement funds would be have to be provided by Medicare and Social Securiy.

Executive branch elected and appointed officials should serve for room and board and a trip home when their role in government is ended.

September 17, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  69. Leonard-Goldsboro, North Carolina

Doesn't make a difference......I am a proud American and must keep the faith cause i'm not leaving this country.....the question is has american's racist beliefs been replaced with blindness to color.....by the way Jack, sorry for your loss and glad to have you back.....

September 17, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  70. Lorenzo in Atlanta

Can't really say Jack. If you take a pile of crap, spray it with gold and drop diamonds on top, it will look appealing. But deep down, it's still crap. Even if you add lipstick, and designer glasses, it's still crap.

We need someone to dig deep and remove all of this stuff. To start from the ground up, getting rid of the distractions, lies, greed and corruption.

We need to wipe the slate clean.

McCain has already proven he has no clue how to do that.

September 17, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  71. Matthew Welch in Baltimore, MD

"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth..."

When we, the American people wake up and look beyond the petty squabbles that divide us to see our common interests and insist that our government serve those interests faithfully, when we stand up and take responsibility for our country and insist that our leaders do the same, when we make the collective decision to honor the legacy our predecessors passed onto us in the Constitution of the United States of America and refuse to tolerate anyone in or out of government at any level that would dishonor that legacy or the citizens upon which it was bestowed for any reason...when that happens, Jack, my faith will be restored.

Until then, I'll gladly take .01% of that $150 billion in taxpayer-funded (by way of Chinese loans) corporate welfare that we just handed out to the white collar criminals of Wall Street to revolutionize the educational system of my city in the hopes that my infant son might have a shot at living in a better America than the one his father has spent the last eight years trying to recognize in this hateful and petty political landscape. While I'm at it, Jack, let me tell you what I plan on teaching my son as he grows up: "There is only one kind of person that I will not tolerate and that is bigots and bullies-they tend to be the same people and there are more of us than there are of them". I can only hope that November proves me right and that my son will grow up not in a red America or a blue America, but in the United States of America. Thanks, Jack.

September 17, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  72. Judie

Jack,
    If Obama does 1/000 of what he says he will do when elected we would see a vast improvement in all things government and my trust would be restored by seeing positive results. If McCain gets in and does 1/000 of what he promises on any given day I will be forced to live for 4 years as a mentally depressed and untrusting American citizen. I will probably be living under a bridge and dumpster diving at the local McDonalds. I want the American dream but if we elect McCain I am afraid we the American people will get the American Nightmare. Guess who I will be voting for?
    Judie
    St. Augustine, Fl.

September 17, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  73. Karl in CA

Three things: First, Obama in the White House and second a Congress that will remove the absolute powers George Bush granted himself and no one questioned. Third, to drag Bush, Cheney, Rove, Rumsfeld, Meirs, Gonzalez and everyone else involved in the mess of this administration in and make them testify, under oath or go to prison. Preferably they testify AND go to prison based on their testimony, but as long as the instigators are made an example of, it would be a good start on restoring our faith in our government. We have sank about as far as any country can in an eight year period.

September 17, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  74. Diane PA

With so many people unemployed, I think we should throw out the entire congress and just pick two unemployed people randomly from each state. Don't look at education, color of skin, religion, gender – just two names out of a hat. They would probably do a better job than the bozo's we have now.

September 17, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  75. Richard B.C. Canada

What John McCain needs is two new aircraft carriers named after his father and granfather otherwise no more government spending except for war.

What Barack Obama needs is true racial equality in America in order to govern all Americans equally.

Divisive partisan politics won't go away anytime soon.

September 17, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  76. Gary of El Centro, Ca

My faith in government would be restored if we elect Obama and he makes government "cool" again.

September 17, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  77. Robin, Henderson Nevada

Hi Jack

Well Yes, if the Republicans stop the hate they preach about government. We all know Republicans preach smaller government, however they take advantages and set policies that actually increase the size of government. The question here is can we have fate in Governance of our once mighty Nation? and the answer is yes, simply Vote for the people that are intellectuality superior and hold them accountable. If we continue placing people in power that somehow appeal to you because of some misguided value and they are fundamentally inept of Governance, the answer is no. so if you want to restore faith in Government Vote Democrat and get rid of propagandize media in every form, be it visual or non visual.

September 17, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  78. John

Jack: Its easy for me to have my faith restored in government. All I have to do is vote for Senator Barack Obama for President of the United States. Now, if only people will leave their prejudices behind, open their eyes, grap Mr. Honesty and Mr. Trustworthy by the hand and vote for common sense. Yes, my faith in man kind will be restored when Mr. Obama and Mr. Biden are elected. I do not make $250,000 a year, and I did not like it when the Bush Administration failed to support the military when it allowed the top 5% income wager earners off without paying for 2 wars, and the restoration of the Gulf Coast from Katrina.

John
    Alabama

September 17, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  79. Larry from Georgetown, Texas

I was forced by our country to serve in the military during Viet Nam which made me very resentful at our country for being involved in a "war" that was political just as Iraq is today. But we need a draft today to give people jobs to replace all of the ones that are being shipped overseas and to fight the Bush/McSame wars. We'll need even more than a draft if McSame gets elected. So my answer is no, I have no faith in our current government.

September 17, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  80. ss

Yes, but not my faith in the media.

September 17, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  81. Paula, Los Angeles CA

Jack, it would take transparency in government, accountability of government officials, support of the middle class, and a president who inspires, has integrity, good judgment, and intelligence. To sum it all up: it would take the election of president Barack Obama in November.

September 17, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  82. JD in NC

It would take the leadership setting a goal and acheiving it. That would be a nice change from them abdicating responsibility through tax cuts, corporate giveaways, and deregulation.

September 17, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  83. Bob

Yes, with Obama & Biden at the helm.

September 17, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  84. Caryn, Washington DC

It's not my faith in government that needs to be restored, it's my faith in the American people. We have a system of government that says, "hey you idiots screwed up 8 years ago let's fix it" but the people are like lemmings going over a hill.

We have an opportunity to save ourselves from this mess and we're letting it slip away.

September 17, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  85. Dori in AZ

Jack,

Get rid of those oh, so "honorable" types who are anything but honorable and who only promote themselves and their self-serving interests! And, replace them with men and women who REALLY DO have integrity.

Imagine the possibilities for the world with people who really care about us leading the way!

September 17, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  86. Steven V

First throw the bums out of the Senate and Congress. A do nothing congress and senate is not what we need now or ever. Have primaries all on the same day. Require three debates for all presidential candidates to be present and available to answer questions (Not just the two main parties). Allow only media ads that have the candidates talking about their plans or ideas for the country. And last but not least have a more transparent voting process that can provide better accountability and allow more time for individuals to be able to vote. Then maybe we can get on a course of resolving problems now and in the future.

September 17, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  87. less media more issues

A leader witht the integrity of Obama. McCain can'lt – he lies like Bush.

September 17, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  88. Adam

That is an easy one Jack. Faith can be restored once Barack Obama and Joe Biden take office AND they stick to their plans that have won over so many Americans. They have offered real issues to real problems that we face unlike the Republicans who disassociate themselves with solutions and replace them with negative campaign ads about pigs and lipstick.

September 17, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  89. Mike, Syracuse NY

Eliminate elections and choose Congress and the President by lottery.

September 17, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  90. Tearched H Scott IV

Jack,

The only way that my faith in government can be restored is if we stop the senseless spending on the Iraq war, stop trying to bail out stock market companies and the Democrats take over the white house.

Scott – Chicago, IL

September 17, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  91. Beartrack Truckee,CA

At this stage of my life, over 60, I don't think there is enough time left for my feelings about the government to change. My big worry is for my five grandsons. They are the ones that will have to pay for the disaster of the Bush years.

September 17, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  92. Dave North Canton OH

Jack, I think that people's faith in Washington – or lack thereof – is completely blown out of proportion. Our government was designed to promote debate and balances of power to ensure that the law did not swing violently one way or the other. Most people today simply do not understand how government is supposed to work. The last thing this country needs is one branch of government hijacking the rest and doing what they please...oh wait, Bush already did that and its created an unsafe world in economic meltdown.

September 17, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  93. andrea from las vegas, nv

Taking the "faith" out of govenment would restore my trust. Faith based conservative have been running this country for the past 8 years. They are nothing but a bunch of greedy, power hungry hypocrits. There was a reason why the founding fathers deliberately separated state and church.

September 17, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  94. brenda from charleston,sc

Mccain and Palin. Period.

September 17, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  95. Jan Davis, Knoxville, TN

Jack, I have always held the view that government is a good thing for the people, at least until George Bush came along. If Obama is elected, I think you will see some of the great social issues of our day addressed as was seen under my heroes Franklin Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, and Bill Clinton, and our country will get back on the right path.

All seniors especially need to be aware that McCain/Palin want to privatize social security. Who knows what they will do to our health system and Medicare. It is time to stop these Republicans who only care for the rich and are extremely greedy. Explains the stock market mess for sure!

September 17, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  96. greg, utica new york

Bring Walt Disney out of his cryogenic state and get Tinkerbell back to work.

September 17, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  97. Rob in Jacksonville, FL

Vote for Bob Barr, if you really want to find out what "change" is. Obama and McCain's verson of "change" is just more of the same.

September 17, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  98. vern-anaheim,ca

jack ,yes faih in this goverment can be restored if we elect barack obama as president.we do not need 4 more years of the same old tired out policies of the bush administration that have been a miserable failure and put us into the mess we are in

September 17, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  99. John, Fort Collins, CO

To restore my faith in government, it would take nothing less than a president with FDR's abilities to deal with crisis. Barack Obama is by far closer to this ideal than John McCain, but even he will have a steep learning curve. After seeing how the military functioned during my two years in the Army, I couldn't figure out how we ever won a war. After observing how inept our national leadership is in handling the economy, I am amazed there is anything left in my 401k. The carnival in Washington needs a total teardown and rebuild overhaul.

September 17, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  100. Jim

Jack,

Seeing Obama restore compassion and common sense to our government would sure help. Just seeing him and tons of democrats get elected in November would also go a long way to restoring my faith in the intelligence/sanity of the American voting public.

September 17, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  101. Teri in St. Augustine

Jack, I'm not sure it can be restored. Our elected officials must STOP acting completely partisan and start putting the needs of the people over their own thirst for 'party power', and I just don't see how that can happen in the years I have left on this planet. Karl Rove might have left as big a legacy and mess as George W Bush.
    Teri
    St. Augustine, FL

September 17, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  102. Ray, Florida

It would take alot Jack,

Maybe if someone offers me a V.P. slot on their ticket!

September 17, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  103. Mary - California

After nothing and problems from the Bush Administration, I am not so sure that either candidate can convince me that I should trust that the Government will take care of our critical issues.
    We are in a sad state and quite frankly, it will take someone of intellegience, experience and the interest of the people. These politicians have a hard time remembering that is the people whose voices should be heard and who made this country possible.

September 17, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  104. Lucas - Pawling, NY

My faith in the White House and the whole District of Columbia could easily be restored by sending McCain and Palin on a long walk on a bridge to nowhere.

September 17, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  105. Peggy Donley

Barak Obama and Joe Biden, the ones who understand what we are all going through. My husband had cancer and 15 hospital procedures and our bill is pushing over $700,00, thank God we have insurance and I want all people to have that security. We need change, not a THIRD term...
    Peggy
    Genoa,OH

September 17, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  106. Page Sausman

Hello!
    Restore my faith? Progressive policies, not regressivve policies. Wonder who can do that? Hmmmmmmmm.....
    Page in Boise,Idaho

September 17, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  107. Scott Jacobs

Jake from VA – Of course race is still a factor, remember all those gun toting, bible thumping, grudge holding country people out there? What about the fact that 90 percent blacks jumped ship on Clinton and even black republicans are crossing party lines to vote for Obama.
    Anyone that has seen the reports from both white and black perspective have got to acknowledge that race has a lot to do with this years presidential campaign. We are just too scared to admit it.

Maybe once the younger generations take over, race might not be quite as big an issue. There has been quite a bit of assimilation of school age children not to think like we "adults" do right now.

Bottom line, race is still an issue that we have to deal with! It's the silent enemy.

September 17, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  108. Tyne from Colorado

Is it a good sign Jack, when a young first time voter has already lost faith in her government. I love my country, but after all that has happened within the Bush administration, I'm very skeptical about my future. If Obama doesn't win, I don't know what will happen to this great country. Obama is my hope, my change, my judgement, and quite honestly the last bit of faith I have left in my government and people.

September 17, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  109. Andrew Houston Texas

Glad to know things never change. FEMA blames the counties and state after Hurricane Ike for no delivery of supplies, and the counties and state blame FEMA. We are not New Orleans, so no McCain/Palin trip down here this time to grab the media and have a look and say they are here to help. I wonder if Palin will still make it here for that fundraiser.

September 17, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  110. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Yes – if the ignorance in this country goes away and we get someone with a brain in the WH and get rid of some of the bad ones in Congress and Senate. We're trying, jack, but ignorance in a lot of states runs deep.

September 17, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  111. Greg Lancaster, Tx

What faith?

September 17, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  112. Dick from Las Vegas

Get rid of television and money. These are the only two things politicians care about. If politicians weren't so obsessed with money and their image, only people that really care about serving our country would run for office. But it will never happen. But I would like to see some tight controls on lobbyists. I would like to see C-Span extended to include a camera in every Congressman's office and a law that a lobbyist can only talk to a Congressman in his office. Then everyone could see and hear everything said between them.

September 17, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  113. Vince from Long Island, NY

First, my faith in government hasn't been compromised to begin with. I am actually relieved to see government stepping in and being the helping hand. The financial industry, like a spoiled child, will be none too happy with all the new discipline that will soon be meeted out. The government may in fact be helping us all with this move.

September 17, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  114. Susan from Georgia

When Barack Obama is Presidentis when I will start to believe in government again.

September 17, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  115. Claire in Vermont

It would take a miracle.

September 17, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  116. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Get faith out of government!

September 17, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  117. Don Toronto

It's hard to have faith in government when the chairman of house ways and means committee cheats, even maybe inadvertently and no one seems to care. He's still chairman of the house ways and means committee deciding what to do with nations money. I don't think an election cant fix that because it reflects on the morality of all of the people in Washington who have the morality of a street gang. Don't tell on me and I won't tell on you.

September 17, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  118. Jessica (Ft. Worth, TX)

My faith in government will only be restored when I feel that those in charge have the best interest of the people at heart; in short, never.

September 17, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  119. Eugene -- Myers Flat, California

Mr. Cafferty, my faith would be restored, in our feckless government, if every incumbant is voted out of office this November. They're all worthless and must go.

September 17, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  120. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Hi Jack,

seriously it will take four years for government to prove themselves again! And only Obama can actually prove to me how we can have faith in a government that cares, listens and respect its people and our democracy...and the success of that faith is possible only through a real partnership between government and its people to keep each other honest about each other's responsibilities!

Diane Dagenais Turbide

September 17, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  121. will

Rick Sanchez on CNN just asked the question “who was managing the store" he was talking about what is happing about AIG. The answer is thank God for George W. Bush and his Folks because all roads leave back to George W. Bush. Now, that is where my faith in the Government has gone.

McCain = no change

Obama/Biden

September 17, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  122. Carol in Tehachapi CA

What little faith or confidence remaining in our household could be somewhat resotred if regulations on industries and corporations were reinstated, if elected officials and financial officers were held the least bit accountable for their actions (or inactions), and if consumers were not repeatedly encourgaed to spend beyond their means in order to shore up our miserable economic conditions. A Reuplican president will not do any of the above, and a Democratwill have an arduous and unpopular row to hoe, probably resulting in no bipartisan cooperation. What a terrible state of affairs visited on the majority of us citizens (and non-citizens).

September 17, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  123. Linda, Ruther Glen, Va

Through out my entire life I've not been very comfortable with government but this current administration has doubled my uneasiness with the whole system. Today I'm personally caught up in an economy that I feel was created and never needed to happen. Everything seems to be hitting all at once, housing, finance, jobs, banks, corporations all failing at the same time. Whose to blame? I feel our government has allowed it to happen. It's time to watch out for our own country and in doing so all will be fine with the world economy. Politics has to change for the good of all.

September 17, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  124. Darla (Edmonton, Canada)

I still have faith in the principles of government ... its the people putting those principles into practice with whom I have lost faith.

September 17, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  125. Julie from LA

Obama's restored my faith in political campaigns. I hope he wins in November because, if he gets the opportunity, I think he just might be able to bring back my faith in government as well.

September 17, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  126. Ted, Beaverton, OR

There is no way in hell it can be resored by ANY GOP member.
    But maybe I could feel better about John McCain if he would today, and immediately absolve himself of each anf every lobbyist and special interest person on his staff, both regular and advisors. That to me would be a good faith effort and represent even a miniscule amount of due diligence. I still wouldn't vote for him, because of his fast growing record of flip flops.

September 17, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  127. melody from colorado

I agree with Tyne from colorado....Obama is my last faith. I am in my 40's and know there is always two sides to every situation, but when I listen to him and he makes me believe, I must follow it. I believe when he talks, I trust that he has the WANT to make things different, and I know its not going to be easy, but I know he WILL try, this is my last faith. He has two daughters that are in the same mess that all of us are facing, and if that isn't enough to want to make change, I dont know what is.......I trust him to do SOMETHING, everything wont get done, that is logic, but I trust he will do something!

September 17, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  128. shaun mesa az

What we as a nation really need is to know how all the candidates (including Ralph Nader and Bob Barr) stand on the issues. With all the questions about experience especially with economics with McCain and obama we Need to know all our options in this difficult time in our country.

September 17, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  129. Ol' Doc in Arlington Texas

Jack,
    my faith in Government is as ever. Want to see who's responsible for this mess? Look in the mirror! This is a democracy. If the people do not pay attention to what our representatives do; we get what we deserve. In 1996, 2000 and 2004 we elected a bunch of clowns and whambos who demolished the safeguards created by FDR in the New Deal. One of the chief demolishers was Phil Gramm who is McCain's Brain on economic policy. If we elect McCain/Palin we will get more of the same and we will deserve it... AGAIN!!!
    Doc

September 17, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  130. dennis hunter

only if you change the players in both the white house and congress. If the people of this country do not start to pay attention to who our leadres are and what they are doing, They may wake up one morning without a country.

September 17, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  131. Deb in Lancaster, PA

Only if Obama wins. Other than that, I'm looking for land in Canada.

September 17, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  132. Steve D. in Montgomery, Alabama

Dear Jack,

I'll have my faith restored once the voters demand that professionals, not cronies, run our agencies. Once voters catch on that electing people who don't believe in government is like going to a doctor who doesn't believe in medicine, we might have a shot at competent government. James Lee Witt showed with FEMA in the 1990s that this could be done... and Heckuva Job Brownie showed it could be undone just as easily.

September 17, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  133. mitchell ,arkansaw

for congress and the president,backed by the supreme court, to call for across the board paycuts for themselves,so they can give the money to people who have been wiped out by hurricanes.

September 17, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  134. Dori in AZ

“As state employees, our clients have taken an oath to uphold the Alaska Constitution. . . However, our clients are also loyal employees subject to the supervision of the governor. . . .” per Alaska Attorney General Talis Colberg, a Palin appointee.

Pretty much sums it up, Jack! It's a conspiracy to cover Palin's butt and theirs! They're all Palin's stooges.

We don't need this kind of "reform" in Washington. Palin needs to be dumped by the GOP, Alaska needs to recall her, and all of those employees need to be fired. Where are the Alaskans who stand for truth and justice? Obviously, not in the Governor's or Attorney General's offices!

September 17, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  135. Martin, GA

The history showed that if the faith erodes and middle class vanishes then we end up in a turmoil of war, revolutions and political chaos. So we better have to make our government work!

September 17, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  136. Kyle Irvine, CA

Jack,
    It would take Jesus Christ himself to come here again and run for President.

Have a good day Jack,
    Kyle Irvine, California

September 17, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  137. PEGGY, IN KANSAS !

my faith will never be in our government ! an i will never trust another republican to run it !

September 17, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  138. Pat in Hampstead , Maryland

Jack –

To quote the next VP Joe Biden. "Yes".

September 17, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  139. Spencer, Newport News, VA

Elect Sen. Obama as POTUS

September 17, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  140. The Trippster of PA

I doubt it. If the voters actually ignore party affiliation, care as much about the welfare of our nation as they do their own pockets, and actually vote the bums out, then I will believe in government for the first time in my life. Good government doesn't just happen. It is human nature to be self-centered, irrational, and purposefully ignorant of the facts. It just takes more time and energy than people care to invest to learn the truth and to hold our government accountable. That is why special interest groups and business lobbyists will always be the true backbone of our government–they are more focused and care more about the results than we do...

September 17, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  141. Cliff

I trust the citizens of the USA that will enable us to get through the hard times and all the gloom and doom put out there for many reasons. Our system of government was devised to be resilient

September 17, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  142. MW / Newman, CA

Keeping "Faith" separate from government will help.

September 17, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  143. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

When we kick our government officials off the welfare system. Only then will my faith be restored.

September 17, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  144. Leah, Vancouver

When Barak Obama and Joe Biden are elected. They have the respect of world leaders, have clear policies and vision and a team of successful supporters from all facets of society and all political stripes.

September 17, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  145. stephen

Send Palin back to her ice hole in Alaska.

September 17, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  146. Gigi in Alabama

My faith in government and this country will be restored when we elect a president that REALLY puts the American people first. I know that is not John McCain . . . and I hope that Barack Obama will do as he says he will do if elected.

September 17, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  147. Ron in Indiana

They would need to send us taxpayers our share of the interest they are collecting from AIG for the 85 billion dollar loan. It was taxpayer money the Government used for this loan. Why does the Government get the interest on OUR money. I also expect a dividend check each quarter, made payable to my ex wife. She'll end up with it anyways.

September 17, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  148. Lisa

Obama driving us out of the ditch and Joe helping tow us back on the road! I want to see what's around the bend.

September 17, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  149. Julie in Michigan

I don't know that it can be restored, but electing Obama would be a step in the right direction.

September 17, 2008 at 4:14 pm |
  150. Tom Suprock

Divine Intervention.

September 17, 2008 at 4:14 pm |
  151. R in CA

My faith could be restored if we don't fall for McCain's line of "I was a deregulator for 26 years but now I'm suddenly a reformer because that's what's cool" line of hooey.

September 17, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  152. lisa tx

clean house and start over.

September 17, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  153. wally Ruehmann las vegas nv

when someones race isn't considered, and the republicans don't mix religion with government

September 17, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  154. Funkemariechen, Berlin

"Whenever the people are well-informed, they can be trusted with their own government." / Thomas Jefferson

So let's talk 'lipstick' & 'flagpins' ...

Surreal.

September 17, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  155. Mary in NC

Simple, Kick the Republicans Out

September 17, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  156. Griffin, SA, TX

Dear Jack,

Duh, I'm no Catholic, but I believe three miracles and the consequential cannonization of President George W. Bush would restore my faith in government. The first miracle would have to do with the governmental shortfalls miraculously becoming a surplus that puts us on track to paying off the national deficit. The second one would have to be world peace (it's on everyone's list and is probably the easiest to implement), and the third would have to be Congress bipartisanly roasting marshmellows on a campfire holding hands while singing koom bay ya with Bush playing the guitar and Dick Cheney holding hands with Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid.

-Griffin
    San Antonio, TX

September 17, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  157. Judy Bucks County, PA

I said this befor and will again and again, this country needs much, much more then false eyelashes too much makeup and Annie Oakley from Alaska.
    Everyone keeps saying she was a mayor, and a governor she was half mayor, half Gov. her husband was the other half.
    What is wrong with all of you people out there she wants Alaska to be a seperate state clear away from as she calls us the lower 48. Do you really think she gives a hoot about the Lower 48 oh did someone forget to tell her about Hawaii.
    I thought the American people were smart and intelligent individuals that could see the whole picture, but I guess not.
    My mistake.
    Judy
    Bucks County,PA

September 17, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  158. ray

Round up all the lobbyist and put them on a boat to nowhere and make sure it leaks water badly

September 17, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  159. Judith Beaver

To restore my faith in the Government, it would take a totally complete cleanout, in all 3 branches ans start new! To many old timers, that owe to many. I will not vote for an incumbant this election.

JB, East Tennessee

September 17, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  160. Seth McDermott (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada)

Obama winning would not only restore my faith in the American goverment, but also the American people as a whole. It disappoints me that people are still so gullable that they could buy in to such phoniness from the republicans.

September 17, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  161. junior doh

it will take obama,biden and americans itself. nobody can change america but americans. and if mccain and his stupid campiang want to lie about his campaing. God will forever damn america and mccain and or his supporters.

September 17, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  162. Helen O'Neal

Wake up America. Wake up battle ground states. You keep talking about Obama does not have experience. How can one have experience when he has never been president before. Obama is smarter that George Bush, McCain or Palin put together and he would certianly do a better job. As a black female from the West Indies, I have never seen a more racist divided country than America. If Obama was white, this race would be over a long time ago. America McCain or Palin does not have your best interest. To add George Bush never did. Would you rather see this country suffer than to elect a well educated man who has a better plan for America. Stop looking at the color of one skin, and have some love and faith. what affects one will affect all. McCain favors the rich, and I don't belive one thing is is saying. I am telling you don not trust him or Palin.
    And lastly, McCain once said Obama is a celebirtym what does he think of Sara Palin uh?

Helen
    Boston, Massachusetts

September 17, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  163. Melba Melton, Nitro, WV

Electing a good leader, instead of a just a good soldier, would do wonders to restore my faith in our government. That would be Barack Obama–the good leader, of course!!

September 17, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  164. Terry S.Gannon

There should be a public plebescite requiring all members of the House and Senate toreject any and all horariums from businesses and othe non-elected persons. and at swearing in, they should be required to identify any lobbyist who seeks audiance and that all such mettings must be recorded for public scrutiny.

Terry, Kill Devil Hills NC

September 17, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  165. circy in New Mexico

I will never have faith in this government as long as corporations and lobbyists are calling the shots. The average citizen in this so-called democracy really doesn't have a voice about anything.

September 17, 2008 at 5:31 pm |
  166. Monty Squier

The United States needs leaders who are not liars, thieves, and criminals.
    My faith will be restored when the thousands of profit-reaping (reeking) corporations START PAYING TAXES to the Treasury!
    My faith will be restored when Peace, Health, and Education are more important than War.

El Paso, TX

September 17, 2008 at 5:31 pm |
  167. Jeff Crocket

Through out the unions and reduce the size!!

Get rid of democrats aand their inherent socialism!

September 17, 2008 at 5:33 pm |
  168. Kim VA

Hi Jack, my condolences.

By electing Barack Obama and never letting another out of touch Republican President running on smaller government again.
    Not only do they get a severe case of ALZHEIMERS of the last 8 years, but they lie and distract, to keep the American people blind to the mess, that "they" themselves created since 2000, when they had a surplus.
    I HOPE their party suffers and We the people get to keep them out for the next forty years, for being so greedy, and Hoover-like.

September 17, 2008 at 5:34 pm |
  169. Valorie, TN

What would it take for me to have my faith restored? The Democrats to take the White House and have a filibuster proof majority in the Senate and a two thirds majority in the House. Not til then will I actually have faith that the government will finally bring about the right kind of change!

September 17, 2008 at 5:35 pm |
  170. Brett from California

How about if we send all of the politicians in Washington packing, send all of the Lobbyists packing and elect from a whole new group of people, none of which could have been a politician in Washington before. Anything less would simply not work because corruption has permeated the entire Washington establishment.

September 17, 2008 at 5:36 pm |
  171. Lynne-MI

Well I guess I would feel better if they stop the party thing and the lies.
    I think it is a shame that most are so self centered. and that party first. And thoses who don't walk the walk are beat up by their own party.
    No shock to find Obama votes 97% to the party. That he don't understand that it says something to votes about who he is really for.

September 17, 2008 at 5:36 pm |
  172. Buster in Poughkeepsie, NY

Are you kidding me Jack…faith in government? I thought the very reason the geniuses who framed our Constitution included the First Amendment was to prevent "faith in government" from ever happening.

September 17, 2008 at 5:36 pm |
  173. SkiMan

We cannot keep helping the "poor" with handouts.

We now see that pressure on Freddie and Fannie to give mortages to the poor, pressure from "community organizers" caused the housing and credit failures. The "poor" need tax breaks but nearly half of America pays no Federal Income Tax. Does that mean that half of America is "poor"?

America needs jobs, not handouts and Obama is all about buying votes with ever more handouts!!

Bound Brook, NJ

September 17, 2008 at 5:37 pm |
  174. Randy

Election of a third party or independent candidate.

September 17, 2008 at 5:37 pm |
  175. john nolan

We all wish it could be, Jack.

If we lived in a real democracy you could say, "throw the bums out", but unfortunately in our "corporate oligarchy" they are replaced by more bums.

They all campaign like humanitarians and when they're elected they turn into corporate stooges.

With this two party system our choice on election day is between hanging or lethal injection.

September 17, 2008 at 5:37 pm |
  176. Alan, Buxton Maine

A president with integrity who truly represents the people who elected him. With the possible exception of George Washington it hasn't happened yet.

September 17, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  177. len

Some serious truth telling.

September 17, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  178. Michael from Greenfield, Wi.

It would take individuals such as Herbert Kolher, Fisk Johnson, John Menard, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, and a few others to take control of our government and Wall Street. I would rest easy then. Their records speak for themselves. They are not destroyers, and they know what they are doing. True patriots. It won't happen until the fire sale though. So we are screwed.

September 17, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  179. Daniel Portland, IN

This is a great question and I'll only skim the cream off the top in my response. The government must make the choice to work for the people, all of them, not just the ultra-rich and the corporations. They will do that by outlawing lobbyists and the bribery, Ooops! the campaign contributions from the lobbyists and corporations. Nothing will change for the people as long as the corporations have a seat at every table in Washington. That would allow for the government to work out a true reform of the broken healthcare system, the banking and investment systems, the economy, the environment and many more things that need to be corrected in this country.

September 17, 2008 at 5:39 pm |
  180. noircine

Government workers...politicians need to be graded on their performance and that performance should be posted to a website.

I see this person missed this vote. I see that so many government workers were out. If you can find out about child support, sex offenders, and about other people in jail on the internet...why not the government?

This would be a perfect accounting service to watch them.

You can call it "Government Watch Book" so plenty of "Friends" can be watching.

This is how I can trust the government again.

September 17, 2008 at 5:39 pm |
  181. Chuck B Coastal NC

Take the Repubicans out off power.....Grow a backbone and do what the majority of Americans want..... an honest congress and one that will work for the middle-class. The only way is to either elect Bloomberg or Obama. And Obama is the only one on the ticket.

September 17, 2008 at 5:39 pm |
  182. david mccary

Jack, the only way i can ever trust any politician to a man of his word, is if they PROMISE to do what they say they will by signing a declaration to that effect. And if they dont accomplish at least 50% of they promises in the first two years they will RESIGN. PUT IT IN WRITING and be held to it.

otherwise its' all just the same old bullpucky.

david, apple valley ca.

September 17, 2008 at 5:39 pm |
  183. John Keith

Yes it can be restored be simply... Just get Obama elected!

September 17, 2008 at 5:39 pm |
  184. Chahlie

Here is my thought.

Do away with all perks of government jobs. NOTHING!! No gifts of any kind, no free healthcare and work 8+ hours a day, 2 hour lunches and see what the majority of americans face every day.

Public jobs or government jobs are jobs that work for the people and by the people, not on the backs of people.

September 17, 2008 at 5:39 pm |