September 3rd, 2008

What do you want to learn about Palin from tonight’s speech?

Govenor Palin has not taken any reporters’ questions since being named McCain's V.P., with the exception of an interview with People Magazine.

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Talk about pressure – Sarah Palin tonight will give arguably the most important speech of her life.

It will be the first chance for most Americans to get to know John McCain's surprise pick for V.P. Although she's been all over the news since Friday, Governor Palin hasn't taken a single question from a reporter with the exception of a People Magazine interview.

Part of the reason is she has apparently been hunkered down with members of the McCain camp preparing tonight's speech. One senior adviser says while the Democrats and media have done a great job lowering expectations "We're gonna raise some expectations tonight."

Palin is expected to hit on three main themes. The economy and why Republicans are better equipped to deal with it as well as Palin's own experience with the energy economy. Next is to make the case for McCain against Barack Obama, when it comes to both policy and character. And last, to give the public a better sense of what kind of person she is – Palin is described by campaign aides as likable, funny and smart.

The stakes don't get much higher. Palin is certainly in a higher risk position than Joe Biden was last week, since he's been on the national stage for decades. And as a newcomer to national politics, Palin will have to prove she's up for the job and calm any questions about her experience, which is thin to non-existent, when it comes to foreign policy or the qualifications to be commander-in-chief.

Here’s my question to you: What do you hope to learn about Sarah Palin from her speech tonight?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Jay from Sherman, New York writes:
I would like her to honestly answer what the pundits have been asking for the last week which is what makes her qualified to step in as president if something happens to John McCain should he become the next commander-in-chief. And I really don't want to hear the Republican spin that she commands Alaska's National Guard, I want to know what real life experience she has with foreign policy and national security.

Ariana from Garden Grove, California writes:
America needs to know how Palin is going to deal with issues that she does not face in Alaska. Yet, all we have heard from the Republican Party is her life story and what she has done in her scarcely populated home state. She has to be able to apply her changes to a much larger, needier, and diverse scale.

Kathy from California writes:
I will watch to see how she presents her self, her views and goals, and the reasons why she should be vice-president, especially in light of the vicious attacks that have been thrown at her and her family… Come on, people! Give this woman a chance! Watch her tonight, along with the debates. Then make up your minds! Duh!

Rod from Arizona writes:
I am fired up and excited about hearing from Governor Palin tonight. I think that we have only seen the tip of the iceberg where this woman is concerned and the Democratic Party is sailing the Titanic!

Don from Billings, Montana writes:
I want to learn how her qualifications are equal to or better than Joe Biden as the person who will be just a heartbeat away from the presidency for the next 4 years.

David writes:
I want to know if she's learned what the V.P. does yet and what it was about that description that made her want the job?

1. Jim in Puyallup

I want to know what's on the other channels.

September 3, 2008 at 1:43 pm |
  2. Ken in NC

I hope to learn when she is going to go back to being the Governor of Alaska. This is not funny. McCain scared me before he picked her and now he has scared those nightmares away and replaced them with nightmares of her going hunting with him.

September 3, 2008 at 1:43 pm |
  3. Jad in NH

She might talk about her experience with potholes, snow plows and unlicensed dogs as mayor of East Overshoe or wherever it was. It would be interesting to know how her windfall profits tax on big oil fits in with the McCain's plan – sounds pretty lefty to me. She might want to explain her family's involvement in the Alaskan Independence Party. Wanting to secede from the United States of America is somewhat of a giant leap from whether or not Obama wore a flag pin.

September 3, 2008 at 1:44 pm |
  4. Richard, Syracuse, NY

Not a thing. Gov Palin is perfect for John McCain. He is just like George Bush and she is a female version of Dick Chaney. She is a hunter, loves Oil Companies, and has tried to use their power to get someone terminated they did not like. More of the same, and this Country can not take any more of this.

September 3, 2008 at 1:44 pm |
  5. Susie R., Atlanta, Ga

I want to know what she knows about the economy and foreign affairs. I really don't care about her family, her ability to hunt Moose or her being a maverick. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable to have two maverick fingers hovering over the red button in the white house. I have always said that my even considering McCain for President would depend upon who he chose for VP... and right now I am not comfortable with his choice at all.

September 3, 2008 at 1:46 pm |
  6. Candy in Massachusetts

How she prioritizes her life, country first or family first?

September 3, 2008 at 1:47 pm |
  7. Raphael in New York

John, I already learned a great deal about Sarah Palin's political history. She has been the major of a town as well as the governor of a state, and brings new life into this election, and experience the Presidential Candidate of the Democrats could not pray to match . While Obama preaches "change" he chooses a running mate who was elected to congress when Palin was eight years old, and parades on stage with his grandchildren. Not long ago, Clinton and other hopefuls were chided on representing the past and being seen on the stand with those who represented politics of the past - do you now preach a double standard?

September 3, 2008 at 1:47 pm |
  8. angry left from Michigan

I really want to know, what does she mean by reform? What will she reform exactly? She's a Republican...and they've been in charge for 8 years, and the Congress to for most of that time. So if all those adoring people at the RNC waving "Pain" signs are so wise, why do we need reform at all?

September 3, 2008 at 1:48 pm |
  9. Dick - Madison, WI

I would like to learn more about Gov. Palin's executive credentials and why they are better than Barak's. By the way just what are McCain's 'Executive Credentials'. Unless I live in a cave I don't remember anyone mentioning them. Hmmm, I wonder why?

September 3, 2008 at 1:48 pm |
  10. Darlene PA

Oh darn! I am going to have to miss it, I will be watching paint dry.

September 3, 2008 at 1:48 pm |
  11. Lucas in Pawling, NY

I'd like to learn how to field dress an elk Jack.

September 3, 2008 at 1:50 pm |
  12. Mark - Asheville, NC

I want to hear her story. She is said to have stood up to the old boy network in Alaska, and also to Big Oil. Okay, fine – she really needs to spell this out, and also why she is ready. If she can do this she will be good to go, if she can't, they will have problems.

September 3, 2008 at 1:52 pm |
  13. Caroline, Hamer SC

Why she is putting her whole family in the shot light. She must be very self centered and very selfish to do this just to get what she wants.

September 3, 2008 at 1:53 pm |
  14. Dale

After viewing the video of her interview with Larry Kudlow from a month ago, i would like to know if she still has any clue what the duties of the VP are.

September 3, 2008 at 1:53 pm |
  15. Betsy in MO

I would like to learn how she plans to fight sexist comments from the media!

September 3, 2008 at 1:53 pm |
  16. Joe in DE

I don't expect to learn anything of importance.

September 3, 2008 at 1:54 pm |
  17. CStewart - Phila, PA

Jack,

I want to learn how being a mayor of a town of 6,000 people qualifies as legit executive experience; it just doesn’t add up to me given that my dorm at Temple University in Philadelphia had more students living in it than her town.

I would also like Mrs. Palin to present responses from the Governors of every Canada and Mexico bordering state supporting the vast “foreign policy” exposure they gain from the location of their states. If they all agree they deal with many foreign affairs that I sure as hell don’t foresee them dealing, then perhaps McCain should change his pick to the Governor of Hawaii to improve our relations with North Korea and China.

Lastly, I would like to learn from her how she could even think of accepting the Presidency and flying her unwarned family to Ohio without preparing her daughter for intense media examination. Family values my tush!

Signed,

– a Republican who just decided to vote Obama, the real family values ticket

September 3, 2008 at 1:55 pm |
  18. bonnie griffith

I want to hear her positions:

My understanding: She will damage the environment irreparably: she supports offshore oil development in the Artic, grinding pack ice where there is no proven technology to contain let along clean up a spill. Biologists warn of the potential ecological disaster. She supports drilling in the Wildlife Refuge, she supports predator control by shooting animals from planes, she squelched a proposal that would have restricted large-scale mines from dumping toxic chemicals into waters used by humans or salmon. She spearheaded a lawsuit again the Bush administration to overturn a recent federal ruling placing polar bears on the endangered species list

Also: she supports teaching creationism in schools, opposes sex education, she is a lifetime member of the NRA, and an outspoken pro-life advocate who speaks from fundamentalist conscience

I want her to claim her positions in front of the voters

September 3, 2008 at 1:56 pm |
  19. Tom, Avon, Maine, The Heart of Democracy

I want to know if it is true that Senator McCain only met with Governor Palin for 15 minutes before choosing her. If so, he isn't who we want in the Senate let alone the White House.

September 3, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  20. Gretchen from Bucks County PA

I would like to know who any mother could subject her pregnant 17 year old daughter to the media onslaught! Even if she were qualified (which she definitely is NOT) I just don't understand her thought process. If this is any indication of her judgment, then thanks but not thanks!

This is not an example for families to follow – fame at all costs – what happend to putting your family, especially your children's needs, before your own?

September 3, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  21. Tearched Scott Chicago, IL

Just who the heck she is.

Scott – Chicago, IL

September 3, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  22. Bill - Bealeton VA

I'd like to learn why she was for the "Bridge to nowhere" before she was against it, and why she didn't correct Senator McSame when he said she never asked for or received one dollar of earmarks when the truth is she has. How about telling us about the Alaskan Independence Party, or why they are having the father of her daughter's baby flown in for the convention to parade around and then get mad when the media ask questions, Maybe if we are lucky she will say she will not chase Osama Bin Laden to the gates of hell, but instead will use her flying in a helicopter to hunt wolf skillz and track him down that way, yeah thats the ticket.

September 3, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  23. T.J. Marshall (Raleigh, NC)

I'd personally like to know what exactly it is SHE thinks makes her qualified to be Vice President of the United States.

September 3, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  24. LJ - ME

Nobody is going to learn anything about Governor Palin because her speech tonight will be written by the campaign and therefore she will only be mouthing what the campaign wants her to say, which is very similar to what is happening with Senator McCain these days. This campaign has become about the campaign not the issues – as various McCain spokespeople have stated on multiple occasions.

September 3, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  25. tina - Indiana

I would like to know if she can find these countries on a giant map:
    China – Iraq – Iran – Afghanistan – Pakistan – Russia

September 3, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  26. Deb, Allentown, PA

Let's see, Jack...I'd like to learn how she assigns the "reformer" label to herself.

All I see is that she's more of the same...Hired a lobbyist for a town of 8500 people and that lobbyist brought in over $27 million in earmarks, she left her town $20 million in debt when she moved on to governor, she attempted to fire the library director in her town when the library director wouldn't ban the books that Palin wanted banned, she fired the police chief to please her campaign contributors, she fired the head of the state police because he wouldn't fire her ex brother-in-law, she flip-flopped on the Bridge to Nowhere when it became politically expedient to do so, etc.

Besides that, she's 180 degrees away from my thinking in every way, shape and form.

September 3, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  27. Larry from Georgetown, Texas

Why she believes she is ready to be commander-in-chief and the truth would be refreshing, but that won't come out until the debates and the news media digging deeper.

September 3, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  28. Yertie from MN

Nothing. How she hopes to be a wise (heh heh heh) VP for legal American citizens is beyond me. She is as qualified for this important position as Big Bird on Sesame Street.

September 3, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  29. Scott from Oregon.

I'd like her to explain how running a small town of 7000 people for ten years and running a sparsely populated state of only half a million for two years prepares her for running the country. I also want to hear more about that Alaska independent party and what she was thinking when she became a member?

September 3, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  30. Gary of El Centro, Ca

I'd like to know why she thinks McCain picked her......and please don't tell me it was about her experience.

September 3, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  31. Alexandra

I would like to know who wrote her speech that she is going to read. Barack and Joe wrote their own speeches ... because they could. And yes we can.

September 3, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  32. ray carlson; florence, SC

That she has realized her mistake and is going back to Alaska before snow sets in and she can't get back.

September 3, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  33. Donnie IN

I would like to learn that this was just a big joke and then they bring out the real VP.

September 3, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  34. lou

I want to know why she didn't return the money she got for the bridge to no where, if she is so against government spending and fraud. The fact that she came out of the gate lying about this issue is a big problem for me.

September 3, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  35. Shirley -AK OHIO

Since she is running for the second highest office in the world, I want to know all the things that qualify her for this position because having a degree in Journalism, being a mayor for 2 years and a governor for 2 year just don't get it for me. She needs to be vetted by the world as Obama was and not just by John McCain. McCain, Obama and Biden has been vetted by the American people and she has not. Nobody knows her and there is nothing she can say in that speech to change it. At the end of they day, after her speech nothing will change people are still going the have plenty of questions that she is going to have to answer in public interviews.

September 3, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  36. Joy in Springfield, IL

I interested in how she plans to thwart an invasion of Alaska by Russia or even worse, Canada, and what her choice of weapon would be. Also, does Santa have to get permission to fly through Alaska's airspace? How hard is to hang out of a helicopter to shoot wolves and does she get scared she might fall out? Oh yeah, one more. How does it feel to be on stage with someone who has less executive experience than you as defined by the McCain campaign's standards, and he's at the top of the ticket?

September 3, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  37. Kerry Diehl

Governor Palin as a VP candidate will be focused on reinforcing the platform of John McCain and not expounding her own views and opinions – this is the job and responsibility as a Vice President.

For now, I’m more interested in how she will handle and present herself to the entire Nation (of those open minded enough to listen to her).

This is perhaps the most crucial speech she will ever give in her lifetime. If she handles this pressure, I’ll bet she can do and handle anything thrown at her.

kerry diehl
    grosse ile, mi

September 3, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  38. Robert in Greenbsoro, NC

Frankly, all I care to hear about is where she stands on fiscal, monetary, and foreign policy and a commitment from her that she will stick to those positions if elected and should become president. I want to feel reassured that she will not go off in some crazy un-mandated direction like the current Clown-in-Chief since the Congress and voting public doesn't seem to have the will to keep their leaders in check between elections.

September 3, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  39. Carol

I want to know if she can stand up against corruption in WDC as well as she did in Alaska. Or will she just vote present when called to vote. I want a steadfast VP to fight to win in the White house for the American People who are robbed daily by our own goverment programs. Not more programs, no more taxes and no more words.

Carol
    Sprinfield OR

September 3, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  40. cathy

Don't hold your breath–Just like McCain's spokesman couldn't think of a thing to say to Campbell Brown–she won't be letting us in on her REAL opinions on anything! I really laugh when I hear them say that Obama isn't being "specific" about his plans for the economy/health care, etc. I've yet to hear any real specifics from the republican campaign and I'm not expecting to hear them–especially from this empty pantsuit! Losers and hypocrites all of them....

September 3, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  41. Diane, Barneveld, NY

How to field dress a moose.

September 3, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  42. Kristi in Indiana

That she has actual knowlege of foreign policy & how American people across the country are hurting. If she starts spouting the GOP talking points I might just puke! And if she brings up the fact that she can juggle a breast pump & a blackberry, then I challenge her to tell us how she might answer that 3 am phone call with a babe on the breast and her finger on the button!

September 3, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  43. Gina C

Whatever she's going to say tonight will never compensate for 20 months of vetting, answering accusations, winning primary after primary and being voted as many times and winning the primary like Obama did. It's disgusting for anyone to compare Sarah Palin to Obama in terms of experience. He was voted on by 18 million people she wasn't. It's very insulting to Obama after what he has accomplished in his career in the national scene, albeit short; and how he managed his campaign, which is a great model to any executive for any organizational endeavor.

September 3, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  44. AverageMan

Actually it would be interesting to know her views on getting a college education for those elk hunter's kids.

September 3, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  45. Mandy, Birmingham, AL

It could be exciting if she tries to shoot someone in the face.

September 3, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  46. Tom in Desoto Texas

I will not learn anything from her speech since I won't be watching. It will be nothing more than the same republican bile with just a different mouth piece spewing it. We've all heard it before.

September 3, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  47. Judie from St. Augustine, Fl.

Jack,
    I want to know when she will be returning to Alaska with her tribe to chase down and kill Bullwinkle. Where are the PETA people when you really need them.?They should be picketing her and those that support her barbaric entertainment in Alaska, now that would be newsworthy.

September 3, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  48. BOB in Michigan

Jack I won't be watching. I can't stand all of the lies and phony rhetoric being spewed in the Cocoon the Republicans call their convention. Why don't you aks them why they can't attract more people of color ? That ought to wake them from their dream.

September 3, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  49. Daisy Hahn

Palin should never have accepted the nomination for VP. She has to much on her plate at this time. Not only will she hurt McCain, but she will hurt all of America. If McCain kicks the bucket, we need someone who will concentrate solely on being President.

September 3, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  50. Ann, MO

How will we really know anything about Sarah Palin from her speech tonight. Matt Scully and Tucker Eskew and other operatives are said to have written the whole thing ... so more Rove rhetoric. Just about anybody can read others' words with enthusiasm, and to Palin's benefit, the effects of this public and media manipulation will be overwhelming in her favor.

September 3, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  51. Dwayne (Atlanta) GA

Absolutely nothing....Unless she's giving out recipes on how to make baked Alaska. I'm sure the wonderful college of Idaho didn't specialize in speech writing. So her words will be team McCain's during her entire time on the stage.

September 3, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  52. AverageMan

If I run for the PTA and become the Vice Principal of the school which has 9,000 kids or the Mayor of my town which has 10,000 could I control that nuclear arsenal hehehehe and become VP of these United States of America.

September 3, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  53. Cliff Dick

I want to hear of her stance on the real issues which most of the Media can't or won't address.

September 3, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  54. larry haley

Palin wants to drill in alaska for the jobs and oil revanue just more me or my state positions oil profits make alaska a great state not palin

September 3, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  55. Michael, Pensacola, FL

I want to learn whether she truly believes a Bachelor's Degree in Journalism is the equivalent to a Law Degree when understanding the Constitution of the United States & working in government!

September 3, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  56. Jack Kemp

January 2005

It’s 3:am. The phone rings in Wasilla, Alaska. Mayor Sara answers.
    There is an emergency! The town outhouse door is frozen shut and someone has to go. The mayor springs into action. After heating a teakettle of hot water, she runs to her snow machine. It refuses to start after several tries, She gives up and runs down the 500 foot main street to the town outhouse.
    Unfortunately, the water has cooled and will not thaw open the door. Being a quick thinker, the mayor builds a Fire under the door to thaw it. Being made of wood, the door catches fire and the town outhouse burns down. First thing in the morning, the mayor calls the town lobbyist in Washington. She wants a million dollar earmark from congress for a new outhouse for Wasilla. The Emergency taken care of, Mayor Sara sits at home and dreams of some day being Vice President as she eats her Moose Stew Breakfast. Meanwhile, in Wasilla, until the new outhouse is built,
    Don’t eat the yellow snow..

By Jack Kemp.. Sept. 1st 2008 South Dakota

September 3, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  57. JT in NYC

I want to know why it is that McCain wanted Lieberman for all this time and then as soon as Clint Black and Karl Rove said no, he choose her. I want to know who is calling the shots in McCain's campaign. Sen Thompson said she is a "reformer" who is bent on getting rid of "business as usual," I want to hear from her if this is her version of reform.

September 3, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  58. Bruce St Paul MN

Does she really believe global warming has nothing to do with human activity? That creationism is a competing scientific theory with evolution? That abstinence only is a better plan than sex ed? Why she loved earmarks as a small-town mayor, but now says she fought against it? What role did her lt. governor play in negotiating with an oil company for whom he had been a lobbyist? Does she think its right to use her "executive" power to settle a personal vendetta against her former brother-in-law? At what point in the national embarassment known as the bridge to nowhere did she decide it was no longer a good idea? Does she think poor people or middle class people should have access to healthcare?

September 3, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  59. douglas gengler

nothing!!!! what i have seen and already heard is enough. go obama!

September 3, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  60. k. wiggins, san diego

i know the answer is going to be "country first" but the question is; how do you as a parent (male or female) who is facing real family challenges, who already has a very demanding career that often takes you away from your family, how do you decide to take on a huge new career challenge that entails much more of the same, more time away, picking up roots and moving across country, and putting your family in the harsh national spotlight. is that putting "family first" which is i believe part of the "family values" platform of the republican platform.

September 3, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  61. Linda in Indiana

What I want to hear from her is what she can do to get us out of the George Bush mess we are in. I have no problem with her being female, mother of a special needs child, or soon to be grandma. I do have a problem with her if she played hard politics and tried to get her ex brother-in-law fired for no reason. I think the American people owe her the respect to at least listen to what she has to say even we do not plan to vote for her. I'm not sold on Obama yet so my options are open, but it is hard for a Democrat to vote anyway but Democratic after 8 years of Bush in the White House.
    Obama maybe!

September 3, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  62. Sly From Alpena, Michigan

i'm going to learn nothing Jack, i'm not watching it. There is a good political movie coming on tonight with Spencer Tracy.

September 3, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  63. Doc Schattman

Jack

I'd like to learn if she really is the looney my friends & relations in Alaska think she is. I have seldom known them to be wrong, so I am confident that she will at some point open mouth and insert foot. You think maybe she will try to explain what books she attempted to ban from the public library when she was mayor? I'd love to hear that.

Doc
    Arlington Texas

September 3, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  64. John Giblin

Can she name the branches of the military that make up the Department of Defense?

Can she envision the roles of Putin, Kim Jong il, Ahmadinejahd, Hu Jintao, Bashar al-Assad and others in the next conflicts that will cost us many American lives!

Has she ever heard of the Nuclear Football?

John Giblin
    Carlsbad NM

September 3, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  65. Iris, GA

Jack,
    I don't thlnk I can stand to watch.........I don't like cleaning spit off my TV.

September 3, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  66. Herbert Hyde

I want her to speak to her ethical failing in regards to "Trooper Gate Scandal"...We had same scenario in NYS with Spitzer and look how great he turned out to be....

September 3, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  67. mitchell ,arkansaw

if she becomes president, will she allow alaska do secede from the u.s.? if so, she gets my vote. i'm tired of alaskans thinking they can just move in and take over the lower 49 states with a governor who eats moose. lets just trade 'em to russia in exchange for cheap oil!

September 3, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  68. Russell

This will be a canned speech but I would like to hear her defend her actions as Mayor and Governor that keep looking more and more out of control and irresponsible.

September 3, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  69. susan strobel

(Idaho)

I would love to have her tell us the reasons Mccain gave her for being on the ticket with him. The only thing weirder would have been if had chosen his wife Cindy.

September 3, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  70. John-Long Beach, CA.

I want her to tell me what is more important, her political career or her children? Seeing that Bristol, her pregnant 17 year old daughter is having to take care of mom's special needs 4 month old son, I think we know the answer to that. Typical republican "Family Values".

September 3, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  71. Margaret, Minnesota

I don't care what I hear, I won't believe her anyway.........

September 3, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  72. Patti, Norwalk, CT

Jack-

Since Sarah wasted no time invoking Hillary Clinton's name, I would like to know her position on universal health care. What is her vision and what, if anything, has she implemented in Alaska?

What kind of health coverage does her family have? What would she recommend to other families who are coping with medically intensive situations such as Down's Syndrome and pregnancy?

This is not a politically incorrect reference to her children but rather a legitimate interest in her perspective on an important issue facing all Americans.

Of course, she may need to figure out what a VP does before she starts thinking about health care!

September 3, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  73. Jasmine in Germany

I’d like to know if she’s invited McCain to go hunting with her and if she’s a better shot than Cheney.

September 3, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  74. Julius, Ontario

Jack, one thing I want to learn from Palin's speech is what makes her prefer her crave for the VP nomination over the well-being of her daughter Bristol in forcing her into an arranged marriage which may become riddled with an ugly divorce if McCain does not win. It is easy to see that Bristol's would-be husband will consent to an arrangements to marry Bristol even if he does not love her or even if he is not ready or matured enough to marry – all because of the prospect of having access to the Whie House. But without a doubt, such marriages are domed to fail and to the hurt of young Bristol. Why should Sarah Palin be so power driven?

September 3, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  75. Bill Kansas City

I want to see how deftly she navigates the contradictions that seem to surround her candidacy. She claims as a principle that sex before marriage is wrong, but seems convey that it is OK is it is her daughter and she keeps the baby and the marriage comes later. She is portrayed as a fighter of corruption, but has offered no comment on the fact that she is currently under investigation for corruption. I want to see if she can explain how she reconciles dual claims of family first and country first. Even on the bridge to nowhere narrative–her claimed decision to say "thanks, no thanks" seems to suggest that she was not looking out for the best interests of her state as a governor (even if it is a bad expenditure of federal moneys). I want to see if she does anything to reconcile the contradictions rather than just attempt to frame herself as a woman who deserves the votes of women regardless of integrity and policies.

September 3, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  76. Shera

Jack,
    As a young American who is a minority, I want to know how will Palin reach out to the minority community since to me it seems the GOP does not care about the struggles we have that are the same as all American. Is Palin ready to go into America's most hardest inner cities and face the single working mothers who she can't even compare to and explain to them that she is there for better education in the city. Jack, if Palin thinks that she knows America, then she does not know my America. In my American, we are more than the farmers, the factory workers. We are the store clerks, the cab drivers, the fast food employees. That is my American and in my best opinion, Palin has to know the REAL American, the America that a young, female, college educated minority like myself live in. The real question besides the minority issuse, Is Palin ready to step out of isolated Alaska and step into the lion's den known as America?

September 3, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  77. Lesley, Lighthouse Point, FL

I can't tell you what I want to hear because I feel that there were several female republicans who should be the one giving the speech tonight. It infuriates me that THIS is the one that was chosen. It continues to undermind progress in womans rights which I believe might have been one of the reasons. Put the weak one up in order to make women look weak.....yikes, it is still a man's world.

September 3, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  78. Michael in Western PA

Nothing will be learned Jack, maybe packaged in the GOP talking points.

All GOP speakers will be say nothing about the economy, the war, the reckless spending and deficeits by this administration, the corruption of the GOP, the secrecy of this administration, torture, the scredding of the Constitution, and the reputation of the USA around the world.

They will whip the Congress for it's low approval rating, but they won't tell you that it boils down to a 50/50 split in the Senate where the GOP senators are blocking everything. Let's not forget during 2000-2006 the GOP majority led Congress, Exectutive, and Judical branches are the rubber stamp for the Bush/Cheney Administration.

September 3, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  79. John, Fort Collins, CO

From all that I have read, she appears to be in the 99th percentile on the scale of right wing nitwits. I'm curious to see if she will try to tone it down and strike a more moderate note, or if she will be like Focus on the Family on steroids.

September 3, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  80. Michelle, Central PA

I want to know exactly what she means when she says "Alaska First". I want to know if she's found out what the Vice President does. I want to see if she has any grasp at all of Federal level issues or the country and larger world outside Alaska. I want to see if she has any knowledge of or respect for the Constitution of the whole United States. I want to know why the Joe Schmoe American public can expect her to treat us with more dignity and consideration than she does her own daughter and unborn grandchild, and why her legally enforced "Family Values" would be better for our children than our own parental American values. That's what I want to hear from Sarah Palin.

September 3, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  81. Bill Strock

That she quits and will be on the next plane to Alaska.

September 3, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  82. Janelle Lazzo, Roeland Park, KS

As a mother of six grown children who considers herself a feminist, believe it or not, I think women are capable of doing whatever men are capable of doing. However, when I was raising my children, I did not consider myself or my family as paragons of family values. Instead, my husband and I worked together to raise the little dudes, and believe me, one of us felt we should be present to them and their needs all the time. Question: How does it square with family values for a mother to go on the campaign trail and leave a baby who is only a few months old and has special needs, plus a daughter who is facing an unplanned pregnancy as a teenager? Don'[ they need their mother more than John McCain does? Just wondering.....

September 3, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  83. Dori in AZ

Why even bother listening to her, Jack?

At her debut, Palin lied about her involvement in earmarks and her support of the "bridge" and pretended to be more of a crusader than she is. As her records are being "vetted" by the media, the truth is dribbling out. There is an incredible amount of major damaging baggage here, and I'm not willing to risk it!

So, bottom line, Jack? She lost me at "hello."

September 3, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  84. Kelly, PA

I want to know how she thinks her daughter is a role model for my 10 year old daughter. I don't expect any family to be perfect, but when your teenage daughter is pregnant and unwed, then it's appropriate to keep that on the low. How will this pregancy impact teenage girls?

September 3, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  85. Georgia Independent Voter

Hi Jack, Well when I heard Gov. Palin speak last Friday as she accepted the VP nod from McCain she spoke with alot of positive things that she has done and will bring to the White House with McCain. After a few days of news reports, most of what Gov. Palin said was not so.

Tonight I would like Gov. Palin to clear up the discrepancies she gave in her acceptance speech especially the "Reformer" and "Maverick" slogans from that of the news reports. I will be listening closely to hear Gov. Palin correct these things, or maybe I just misunderstood her first speech because of her surprise VP selection.

September 3, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  86. Evelyn-Michigan

Something besides I'm a hockey Mom, involved in the PTA, Mayor of a small town, Governor for a brief time who likes to eat moose meat. And if I hear any of these phrases or the word maverick again, I'll scream. Every Republican has this speech down pat. Something like what she's been up to the last few days. Oh yeah, I'm sure she's been coached by the best and will give a rousing speech tonight. But I'm curious to see what happens when she's in a debate or getting grilled by reporters. The Republicans belittle Obama for lack of experience and expect us to believe she has more. They went after him specificly for foreign policy and she has none. I'm sorry, but living near Russia doesn't count. It doesn't sound like she's seen much of the U.S. either. Many of the things they say are her strong suits really aren't. She's not a substitute for Hillary when she differs on many issues so there goes the female factor. She has gotten earmarks and dealt with lobbyists so reform goes out the window too. Oops, I just heard that's the theme of her speech. Just don't go after someone else for things you're guilty of. Perhaps she'll challenge Sen. Obama to some one on one hoops. And I'd like an answer to my question if she used improper flag etiquette by autographing one after her introduction in Dayton, Oh.

September 3, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  87. willow from Cary, NC

Is she currently nursing her baby? And if, elected, does she expect to take her infant with her on overnight travel, domestically and/or internationally?

September 3, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  88. Marjorie Lominy

Good Evening ladies and gentlemen...I am here tonight to ttell you that I am unable to accept your nomination.
    Great TV.
    Marjorie
    M

September 3, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  89. Dori in AZ

"So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye. . ." with her hubby and the chorus of Palin children behind her.

September 3, 2008 at 4:02 pm |
  90. Kathy

Nothing, because it doesn't matter, she was a political pick by McCain and not for the country.

September 3, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  91. Rick

I don't want to learn anything tonight because the speech isn't hers. She has been assigned advisors who has written her speech for her. I will wait until she faces the media and their tough questions and she has to rely on "what she knows, what she believes and what she thinks."

September 3, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  92. Conor in Chicago

If it is true she asked the local librarian if she could legally ban certian books I'd like to know which books and why. Say what you want about "Lefties" and "Liberals" but there are not usually in the ones trying to ban free thinking.

September 3, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  93. Praetorian, Fort Myers

Her understanding and support of conservative values–willingness and preparedness to address the important issues of the day. Her ability to establish her own executive presence (this will be the first time many of us have had a chance to hear her speak) and to inspire people that she has no intention of being a "yes" woman–but will stand her ground even against McCain with regards to ethics in government, the constitution–and the generally recognized expectations of the voters.

September 3, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  94. Marie, Canada

Jack

In her own words and not that of a speech writer – I want to learn how she is going to help care for that down syndrome child when busy in the White House and abroad. I want to see if she can in fact remotely look and sound Presidential and I don't mean for the PTA – I mean as leader of the free world. I want to hear her pronounce the leaders names of Iran, North Korea and Georgia. I want to hear her admit she changed her mind about that bridge to nowhere. I want to hear the truth about her husbands motives for joining a seperatist political party and for her attendance at, at least one of their meetings. I want to know that she isn't "just a hockey mom" if she is going to potentially lead the free world.

September 3, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  95. Richard B.C. Canada

If Sarah Palin was, by some tragic mishap, to become President on January 20th instead of John McCain should they be elected what would be her first official act?

September 3, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  96. Mike, Oregon

I have clients from Alaska, they are confused why she was picked to run for VP. They like her but don't think she has the experience to lead our country. One thing I want to know is if she thinks she is qualified to do the job, why, and what she would do as VP to better my life and my families.

September 3, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  97. PEGGY, IN KANSAS !

just the simple truth, duh !

September 3, 2008 at 4:35 pm |
  98. Bob Maher, Torrance

Levi is not a "child." He's 18 and old enough to kill and die in Iraq. If he's going to be at the convention tonight, he certainly is open to media coverage.

September 3, 2008 at 5:55 pm |
  99. bernard katzeff

WHO wrote it !

September 3, 2008 at 5:56 pm |
  100. Rob from California

I want to know when that ceiling is going to break... Or will she just add to the cracks?

September 3, 2008 at 5:56 pm |
  101. Miguel - Los Angeles

Jack, I'd like to hear the truth, which is obviously impossible to ask for from the likes of most republicans, Sarah Palin not excluded. I'd like America to learn about her religious fanaticism (doubtful she'd play that hand). I'd like everyone to learn about her governmental cronyism, but they wont because she's too busy telling everyone what a reformer she is. I'd like republicans to learn that her "platforms of lower spending" actually ended up in between 27%-33% increases in spending while she was both Mayor and Governor... sure, I'd like that, but... you can't get blood from a stone and you certainly can't get the truth out of a republican.

September 3, 2008 at 5:57 pm |
  102. Bob Maher, Torrance

When Palin was mayor of Wasilla, the population was closer to 5,000 than the 9,000 constantly reported by the media.

September 3, 2008 at 5:58 pm |
  103. Amy

I want to know why living near Canada and in the closest state to Russia gives her foreign policy experience? Really gimme a break. I want to know when she is going to go away.

September 3, 2008 at 5:58 pm |
  104. Elvin

Would she feel safe,secure and confident of her country's future if she had to step in and take over for John McCain?

September 3, 2008 at 5:59 pm |
  105. cindy

This election is rapidly becoming a real life soap opera. Watching this inexperienced and anti everything female candidate is going to be like watching reality TV or the Jerry Springer show. I can't wait.

September 3, 2008 at 5:59 pm |
  106. steve - orange county, ca.

Does she know there are no Moose burgers or hunting in D.C.?

September 3, 2008 at 5:59 pm |
  107. Heng in Hong Kong (NYC, NY)

I want to know how she feels as a wife, mother and woman when McCain calls her "partner and soulmate"? Does she know that Mikheil Saakashvili is not Russian and not from Atlanta, Georgia?

September 3, 2008 at 6:00 pm |
  108. Christina Hartman

I would surely like to hear more about her position on protecting
    Alaska's wildlife. I think Americans deserve to know about her favorable position on aerial hunting of wolves and bears. WOW, sitting in a helicopter and shooting a defenseless animals with a high powered rifle. Her right to life position rings rather hollow.
    Chris
    in Florida

September 3, 2008 at 6:00 pm |
  109. Patrick, MN

How she figures she's in any situation to recommend teaching abstinence in the classroom. Has anyone else noticed that the Palin daughter isn't the only one to get pregnant before being married? I count just under eight months from the day Sara eloped with her husband (Aug 29th, 1988) to when her first child was born (Apr 20th, 1989). Now I personally don't have a problem with unwed mothers especially when they put their children first but the hypocrisy is astounding.

September 3, 2008 at 6:01 pm |
  110. S.R.Nance

Nothing, I already know what Karl Rove thinks. We've been living this nightmare for the past eight years.

September 3, 2008 at 6:02 pm |
  111. ducdebrabant

I'm eager to hear how she finesses the fact that she endorsed Barack Obama's energy plan. McCain has voted against alternative energy consistently in the Senate, and his only concession to it right now is to put a few windmills in his ads. When she talks about energy, will that be confined to offshore drilling? And since she thinks lease-owners should be required to actually drill, and John McCain thinks they should be allowed to buy an offshore lease and sit on it forever, how will she finesse that?

September 3, 2008 at 6:02 pm |
  112. Ariana, Garden Grove, CA

America needs to know how Palin is going to deal with issues that shes does not face in Alaska. Yet, all we have heard from the Republican party is her life story and what she has done in her scarcely populated home state. She has to be able to apply her changes to a much larger, needier, and diverse scale. If she can not do this it only proves that the Republican ticket is not ready to face the real America which doesn't just consist of social conservatives and pro-life voters.

September 3, 2008 at 6:02 pm |
  113. Glenda Roberts

"Wreckless!" McCain's selection of Palin is another example of his behavior that is often wreckless and, it appears, impulsive. As a business owner, I take risk, buth they are thoughtful and calculated – not "roll the dice, wreckless" decisions that potentially put my family at unnecessary risks. There are lots of well-vetted Republican women who could have been selected. These are women that it would have been easy to build consensus around their readiness to lead, which could very likely be necessary given McCain's health history.

Perhaps McCain's POW experience has led him to believe that everything will work out alright whether there is good planning and forethought or not. Again "wreckless!~" sums it up.
    Glenda Roberts
    Woodinville, WA

September 3, 2008 at 6:02 pm |
  114. Nathan

I want to hear her reasons why she thinks she is qualified to run this country instead of hearing the same old garbage dug up by pundits who clearly did the same thing I did – type Sarah Palin into Google and read back the info.

No one knows anything about her not because she's a relative unknown but because there is nothing to know! Tonight's speech is her one and only chance for the solitary Sarah Palin expert to stand up and tell us who she is. I don't think I speak for myself when I say that if she doesn't wow me tonight, game over McCain.

September 3, 2008 at 6:02 pm |
  115. marya, NY

all i want to hear is what does she offer that the democrats don't,
    who she is as a mother, politician and most importantly as a Vice President.

September 3, 2008 at 6:03 pm |
  116. niim lassiter

I would like to know whats her take on the following:

1) Healthcare
    2) Economy
    3) War in Iraq
    4) Minimal wage and social security
    5) Immigration
    6) single working people who work hard but 90% of the time don't get half of what is taken in federal, state and city taxes.

September 3, 2008 at 6:04 pm |
  117. Jay Sherman New York

I would like her to honestly answer what the pundits have been asking for the last week which is what makes her qualified to step in as president if something happens to John McCain should he become the next commander-in-chief. And I really don't want to hear the Republican spin that she commands Alaska's National Guard, I want to know what real life experience she has with foriegn policy and national security.

September 3, 2008 at 6:04 pm |
  118. Iiowa Mom

I want to know when she is leaving.

September 3, 2008 at 6:04 pm |
  119. Bob Maher, Torrance

After the convention, I hope you will demand that Palin submit to real interviews with real reporters.

September 3, 2008 at 6:04 pm |
  120. Brandi - being fair.

I am a Christian woman and I don't believe in abortion or gay marriage but she is not ready. Your values DOES NOT determine if you are able to be the leader of the free world possibly. If so, McCain should have picked me and I'm black. Wow! He could have killed two birds with one stone! It's laughable!

September 3, 2008 at 6:05 pm |
  121. Cookie

Jack,

I'd like to know how mooseburgers taste. I can't imagine anything else she could say about herself, her family, and especially her political stances that I haven't already heard.

September 3, 2008 at 6:05 pm |
  122. Basil Usiabulu

This is McCain the maverick giving ou More of the same. He left qualified candidates like

September 3, 2008 at 6:05 pm |
  123. Kathy, California

I will watch to see how she presents her self, her views and goals, and the reasons why she should be vice-president, especially in light of the vicious attacks that have been thrown at her and her family. Even many of the comments posted here are ignorant and judgemental. Come on, people! Give this woman a chance! Watch her tonight, along with the debates. Then make up your minds! Duh!

September 3, 2008 at 6:05 pm |
  124. B.E.Lahmon

I would like to know what makes her think that she represents Hillary Clinton supporters agendas or Hillary herself for that matter,Jack I really tried to watch their convention Tue.night but it was just too damm boring to stand

September 3, 2008 at 6:06 pm |
  125. Curtis

Jack, the expectation-bar is fairly low here, I hope to learn that she's not a "fainter", because nothing that comes out of her mouth tonight is going to be an original idea of her own.

September 3, 2008 at 6:06 pm |
  126. Tim -Henderson, NV

Maybe how the PTA has impacted her foreign policy decisions.

September 3, 2008 at 6:07 pm |
  127. Don H.

I hope to learn what her favorite flavor of Koolaid is.

September 3, 2008 at 6:14 pm |
  128. Tom from Bucks County, PA

I hope to learn that she's not Dan Quayle in a dress!

September 3, 2008 at 6:15 pm |
  129. kim

i hope to learn she is declining the nomination for VP.

September 3, 2008 at 6:15 pm |
  130. Mr. Luke In Texas

I'd like to know when is she going back to Alaska?

Also, I'd like to know why are gas price is Alaska the highest in the nation? If this is the case, how can I

September 3, 2008 at 6:15 pm |
  131. Elton

I'd like to know more about her membership with the Alaska Independent Party. Apparently they feel that Alaska should separate from the USA. That's about as unamerican as you can get.

September 3, 2008 at 6:15 pm |
  132. Duane

If Palin can hold her head high a give a measured presentation tonight when every media blowhard, present company included, is hoping she falls down so they can kick even harder see will clearly have demonstrated the kind of resolution and determination it takes for the job

Duane
    Stillwater, MN

September 3, 2008 at 6:15 pm |
  133. Nikki

To learn that she is really a Obama Fan!!!

September 3, 2008 at 6:15 pm |
  134. Gary Ocheltree

I hope to learn how she (Pain) feels she is qualified to be Commander in Chief.

September 3, 2008 at 6:15 pm |
  135. Alan Hepler

How she will like being a Grandma, with a child less than a year older than her youngest?

September 3, 2008 at 6:15 pm |