August 20th, 2008

Do you care who V.P. candidates are?

Does it matter who comes out on top in the veepstakes?
Does it matter who comes out on top in the veepstakes?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Michael Phelps got his eight gold medals. So what's left to talk about? Here we are in V-P speculation overdrive.

There are the candidates. Who will help the presidential candidate the most in garnering votes - by augmenting experience and not by outshining him? On the Democratic side we've got Senator Joe Biden, the Capitol Hill insider with foreign policy credentials; and then there are the picks who could help Senator Obama in key state races: Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius, Indiana Senator Evan Bayh and Virginia Governor Tim Kaine.

There are the longshots: another foreign policy and defense expert.. former Georgia Senator Sam Nunn. Obama named him one of the top three people he would go to for advice. Of course, the PUMAS still hold out a chance that Hillary Clinton will be the nominee. And how about Caroline Kennedy? She's helping to manage the campaign's VP selection. Now there is a groundswell calling for her to pull a Cheney and name herself Vice President.

On the Republican side, the latest veepstakes speculation is on Tom Ridge, the former Pennsylvania governor and Homeland Security official who is pro-choice – to the outrage of Republican conservatives. Democrat-turned Independent Senator Joe Lieberman is another wildcard nominee being bandied about. The safer Republicans include former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, or Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty.

Then we have the announcement. When, where… timing and place are key. We need to get a life. The Obama campaign promises that its supporters will know first via text message. Could come any day now as a campaign event is planned for Illinois on Saturday.

All this to do for a job that consists of breaking tie votes in the U.S. Senate, attending ceremonial events, and trying to stay awake. Unless, of course, you're Dick Cheney in which case you run the country for eight years.

Here’s my question to you: How much do you really care who the V.P. candidates

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

John writes:
Jack: It is only important because of Dick Cheney. We do not need another dictator as vice president. We need an open and transparent Vice President who does not make secret energy policies with oil companies. We need a vice president who will be a sounding board for the president, and not a father figure.

Maria from New York City writes:
I hope that Obama chooses a VP who will adhere to the Hippocratic Oath and "First, do no harm." Beyond that, it would be fantastic if the VP choice could bring in a swing state, or influence some undecided voters, As for McCain, I hope he chooses a pro-choice guy. That would really make my day

Ty- Destin from Florida writes:
I could not possibly care any less about the choices made for VP, and disdain the constant speculation of the "news" networks regarding it. The VP has become nothing more than a prop to acquire additional votes in states or areas where a candidate is polling weakly. Obama picking Biden doesn't give Obama any more foreign policy credibility than he had before (which is about nil), and Romney won't make McCain an economic wizard.

Jan writes:
The VP choices are very important. You will see one of the candidates shoot up in the polls after the choices are announced. Ever since President Clinton, the VP's have played a very important role in their administrations. I am positive that Obama will really partner with his VP while McCain will need someone to whisper corrections in his ear like Joe Lieberman had to do several months ago.

Leevaughn writes:
Hey Jack,
I just watched CNN and I think Caroline Kenndey would be a great choice for Obama's V.P. I think He should pick her, it would solve all problems with who should be his V.P.

Filed under: 2008 Election • John McCain
  1. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

Actually I wouldn't care if it didn't seem to be so important to other people. I care about Obama being our next VP and if that means he needs a candidate that will carry a swing state, or shore up some perceived weakness, or an attack dog then I do care.

August 20, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  2. kathleen , san juan

Two words: Dick Cheney

OK, two more: Bob Wexler

August 20, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  3. Charles, Lansing, MI

I find it interesting that everyone is so interested in the next vice presidential candidates when we don't even know where the current vice president is.

August 20, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  4. Mark - Asheville, NC

McCain's VP choice is more important, since if Obama is to be the nominee, then McCain will win. I suspect that McCain will only serve one term, so this person will almost certainly run for the top spot in 2012, and given the Dems' penchant for nominating unelectables, he will win.

It matters not whom Obama selects; he will not win regardless. That is more obvious with every passing day. The super delegates could fix this problem next week, but I fear they will not.

August 20, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  5. JT in NYC

All I care about is that the VP's get named so we don't have to listen to everyone's constant speculation. It is time to name the VP's and move on.

August 20, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  6. Deb, Allentown, PA

I care a lot Jack! On the GOP side, you have an almost 72-year-old man who has had numerous brushes with cancer, and frankly, appears to be suffering from mental lapses. And, on the Democratic side, unfortunately, you have Obama, a lightning rod for all the right-wing nuts, white supremacist whackos and PUMA crazies. I fear the Secret Service will be kept very busy if (and hopefully when) he's elected.

In both cases, in this election more than any other year, a special spotlight has to be shone on the VP candidates.

August 20, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  7. Larry in Florida

Didn't used to Jack. After Cheney it has become more of a concern then it did before because he filled his pockets while riding shot gun for his pal George. As far as McCain the same goes it's a concern because of his age and health. Bottom line. It matters.

August 20, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  8. BobField Toronto

Not in the least!!

August 20, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  9. Ron Mechanicsville, VA

The only was Obama can loose is if he doesn't pick, Hillary Clinton!!!!!!

August 20, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  10. Jenna Wade

How much do you really care who the V.P. candidates are?

I care.

For instance, if Hillary is Obama's pick then I will not vote for him, but I will not vote for McCain either. I would have liked to have seen him tap Barbara Boxer from CA.

As for McCain, I pray that he picks Joe Lieberman or Willard Mitt Romney for obvious reasons.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

August 20, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  11. Jackie in Dallas

Yes, because they are a heartbeat away from being President. As much as I've despised Bush, I've prayed every day that he not be assasinated because then we'd be stuck with Cheney!

McCain has a real dilemma facing him; he needs an ultra-Conservative to bring in the support of his own party, but that will drive away the moderates/centrists who have been undecided about him.

Obama needs someone with gravitas, with experience working on the Hill and someone who is solidly behind him (which leaves out Hillary - she's only behind what's best for HER).

I don't envy the decision for either of them, because a significant number of people will be angry no matter which way they go!

August 20, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  12. Richard McKinney, Texas

Let me put it this way Jack. If either candidate chooses a loser as his candidate he will lose the election. That is how close things are right now. Look at the Polls. One point apart does not leave room for a poor VP choice. If either candidate could get Sister Teresa or the Pope they should blow the ink dry and put them on the ballot. It will take a small miracle at this juncture for any one of these clowns to be of benefit to America. Especially with the worst Congress in History to work with.

August 20, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  13. Joey

Not really. I have been in fear for the last 8 years that something would happen to Bush and Dick would take full command and then I realized that has already happened.

August 20, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  14. Paulina in The Netherlands

August 20, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  15. Rosalynd Florida

I usually vote for who is at the top of the ticket but after Dick Cheney I also care who the candidate chooses for VP and their cabinet.

August 20, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  16. Ed Reed

I think it's very important this election. First, Sen. McCain will be 72 and has said he will only serve one term. His Vice-President may inherit the job or have a leg up in the 2012 election. Second, and I hate to say it, there's no doubt Obama has a target on his back because of the crazy white supremacists in this country. His VP may inherit the job, too.

Ed Reed
    Port Aransas, TX

August 20, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  17. Willow, Sheldon Iowa

Jack, I think the VP picks are more important than ever before. We have an older nominee, and a "first ever" nominee. We need to ensure that our Leadership is covered with good insurance. I'm hoping that McCain will pick a liberal conservative that believes in pro choice, and Obama will pick an attack dog VP that can explain McCain's weaknesses.

August 20, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  18. Derick, Greenlawn NY

Absolutely, Jack! A great V.P. pick will give Obama a tremendous boost, and put McCain back on the defensive.

August 20, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  19. lewis lam

Hi Jack

It doesn't matter what so ever, same goes to the candidates
    These chumps will tell you what you want to hear for now.
    Later on, all things remains the same, Just like Bush and all his dogs.

Brace yourself America, here comes WW3, missiles in Poland, MAN THIS IS JUST GREAT.

Lewis Lam
    Sunvale, ca

I AM A VERY PISSED OFF REPUBLICAN

August 20, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  20. Henry

Jack,

I think it matters a great deal, if McCain wins he may not finish the first term because of age. If Obama wins he may not finish the first term because of all the lunatics out there.

August 20, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  21. Domenic from Montreal, Canada

No. Don't worry John McBush is going to lose in November.

August 20, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  22. Terry, Manassas VA

I do care, because the right candidate gives my party a good shot at winning eight years from now. Governor Sebelius does the best job of that. She's simple, competent and someone a lot of Americans could drink a bear with.

August 20, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  23. Esther Malka cuyahoga falls ohio

as long as he or she cab spell
    P O T A T O
    smarter than a 5th grader i do not care

August 20, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  24. Alex, Los Angeles, CA

Not really, so much as they aren't the kind to shoot a friend point blank in the face. How's that for character?

August 20, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  25. Theresa

As long as it's not Hillary Clinton. She worked hard, she did not win. She showed herself as a sore loser, when she didn't concede and allow Sen. Obama to bask in the victory . She was a formidable opponent, even with her negativity, she lost. I do not feel that she has done enough to help bring the Democratic party together. She has not galvanized her supporters to support Sen. Obama.

I will not be surprised if she is pulls some stunt at the convention. Nothing surprises me when it comes to the Clintons.

August 20, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  26. Nancy in Colorado

Have you heard the quote from McCain that the only thing a VP is for is to wait for something to happen to the Pres. and also to peek into the Oval Office and ask how the Pres. is feeling. (or words to that effect). Of course that was several years ago. I think Obama would appreciate a really intelligent and knowledgeable VP. I think all of those on the "short list" would be valuable to his administration in key roles. Personally, I like Richardson for VP.

August 20, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  27. Julie in LA

Do I care who the VP is?

Remembering how close Spiro Agnew and Dan Quayle were to becoming President of the United States–and all the damage to our country that Dick Cheney has done for 7 years–yes, Jack, yes, I do.

August 20, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  28. Pietro from NYC

Absolutely yes! Dick Cheney was clearly the acting President most of the time, and no one thought much about him. A lot of us wish now that we had paid more attention. Pollsters and talking heads always seem to say that the VP choice doesn't matter, but that's what everyone I know is talking about this week. That and Michael Phelps and maybe that deserted whale baby.

August 20, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  29. Joe St Louis, MO

Jack,

This has become increasingly important after watching Dick Cheney help ruin our country. So I think it is time we all pay attention to every detail of a parties Presidential team. Lets learn from our mistakes and build a future for our country.

Joe

St Louis,MO

August 20, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  30. Dan Pennsylvania

Jack,
    Everybody should especially with McCain with his age the VP could be the next president.

Dan

August 20, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  31. Scott from Bend, Oregon.

Of course I care! I hope McCain trips badly, chooses an ultra conservative and loses more support from the independents. In turn, I hope Obama chooses wisely and gains support from the independents. In case you haven't figured it out, I'm an independent and I'm overjoyed with how important the independent vote will be in this election.

August 20, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  32. Caryn, Washington DC

I know that it matters but my brain is in such overload that I have no idea who I want for VP.

August 20, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  33. Darlene PA

In the case of hillary, yes, anyone but her!

August 20, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  34. george c paree

Yes there not much a choice in these two phoneys so any real choice would be welcome .

August 20, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  35. Larry from Georgetown, Texas

No I don't care as long as it's not Hillary for Obama or Lieberman (Benedict Arnold) for McCain.

August 20, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  36. byron in vernonia, oregon

It matters a lot–more than people think. There is, unfortunately, a real possibility that neither Obama or McCain will survive their term if elected. It's true that historically, the VP hasn't had much of a role or many constitutional responsibilities, but things are different now. The world is bigger and more connected, and so is the job of the president. Nobody is good at everything, and the VP should have qualities to augment that of the president to ensure better decision-making. Also, consider that many people believe that Cheney has been the de facto president for the last 8 years, which demonstrates the potential power of a strong-willed VP.

August 20, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  37. Oliver-Canyon Lake

Yes; the nominee needs a side kick to help with their message!

August 20, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  38. Pablo in Arlington Texas

Jack,
    To me it will not make much difference. I am a third generation Yellow Dog Democrat and proud of it.
    Tammany Hall or No Hall a'tal!

Pablo in Arlington, Texas

August 20, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  39. Al, Lawrence KS

As long as they each pick someone who can spell potato and go hunting without shooting someone, I don't think it will matter too much.

August 20, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  40. Brian

Jack,

Absolutely. After eight years of Darth Cheney, the role of VP has been heightened to an importance it has never before achieved. Who these candidates pick will be more critical than it has ever been before. When Obama picks Biden, a high-profile senator with stunning foreign policy and military experience, it will be a clear sign that he is ready to take the last good hand McCain has left, and it will be the deal-closer that he's been looking for.

Brian Rich
    Moscow, Idaho

August 20, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  41. Karen in Fairfax, CA

I'd like to see Biden as Obama's VP so he can do Obama's dirty work for him. It suits Biden's nature more than Barack's, and he's able to criticize McCain on military issues in ways Obama can't.

August 20, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  42. Jan Davis, Knoxville, TN

Yes I do because it illustrates how the Presidential candidate makes important decisions. As Obama says, his VP selection is the most important decision he will have to make before the election. I can't wait to hear the news about who he is selecting; I know he will make a wise choice because he is a very smart and thoughtful man.
    OBAMA 08

August 20, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  43. Kerry Diehl

Very much, but not with the way it has been hyped by the media.

We should all care who is selected as the "Second in Command". In the event of the death of our President, this individual immediately becomes our key figure and leader. Hopefully, we have already learned this lesson via LBJ's term as President.

I think the selection and choice has currently been over-hyped by our media in favor of sensationalizing the news. Leave the candidates alone and after a choice has been made, then jump on the story.

Actually, it would be an advantage in our voting choice to know who each candidate would choose as cabinet members for their term.

kerry diehl
    grosse ile, mi

August 20, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  44. Tom from Boston, Mass.

Of course I care, Jack. Kennedy picked Johnson and tragedy gave us another tragedy – the senseless Vietnam War. George W. Bush picked Dick Cheney and Bush's weakness let Cheney dominate and gave us an unmitigated disaster of a presidency. Given McCain's age, Americans better take a hard look at his vice presidential selection. As far as Obama's Veep choice goes, he should choose someone who complements, not compliments, him. Someone with experience and foreign policy expertise.

August 20, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  45. odessa

no!!. the vice president main job is to take orders from the president!!..obama needs to show someone that he can trust as well having the ability to think like them..dick cheney never served the military and he got the job!!..

August 20, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  46. Stacy from Happy Loudoun, VA

Jack, we had better pay very close attention. Eight years ago, we thought the Vice President position was harmless but tricky Cheney proved that theory wrong.

That man is a national disgrace who thinks himself above the consequences for his actions. You had bet I will pay closer attention this time.

August 20, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  47. Jason, Koloa, HI

I care because it is a big decision. If we are grading candidates on their judgement and their decision making ability then I want to grade them on their first official big decision. It will not change who I'm voting for personally, but I'll enjoy watching the media tell me for two months why I'm right or wrong for my choice.

August 20, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  48. Doug from Bloomington IN

I care because both of these guys could use good help. Obama needs a strong advisor on strategic foreign policy and a uniter for dealing with the party divisions. That would be Chuck Hagel.
    McCain needs to find someone who can help him understand the world as it really is, someone who has some clue about the economy and is not going to statistically die in 6 years. That wouldn't be anyone he is currently or allegedly considering.

August 20, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  49. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Jack: We should all care because the VP will sit at the right hand of the President....the second most powerful individual in the world. And as the election gets closer, with all the bickering and hijacking by political parties, I often wonder what is going to happen to this country.....May God save the country, for it is evident that the people will not.

August 20, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  50. Ken in NC

The only VP pick I would be concerned about is the McCain VP pick and that is simply because of McCain’s age.

August 20, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  51. Mariel from Charleston

The vp choices matter this election for two telling reasons: McCain would be the very oldest president to take office. His current health, ongoing war, recessed economy and deteriorating civil unrest on many parts of the globe that will effect the US would have a serious physical impact on him. Obama needs a vp to unite the party, produce a win, and to be an excellent working partner with him.

August 20, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  52. Randy, Salt Lake City

Well, I don't really care who gets the VP nod. I don't plan on voting. My vote doesn't count anyway. The Corporations have already decided who's going to be president. Diebold and the media are their tools to crown McCain. Leiberman will be Vice-Dictator. And we'll all be doomed. I just wish I had the funds to leave this country.

August 20, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  53. Kevin C., Portland, OR

Yes, I do. I was VERY impressed with Senator Joe Biden when I saw him on a television program a few years ago. His understanding of the Iraq war and of of the middle east was incredible. My first thought was, "This guy gets it". I'm hoping Obama chooses Biden as his running mate. Biden's experience and insight would balance out Obama's assumed lack of thereof.

August 20, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  54. BOB in Michigan

The VP choice is very important, Jack. For one he might have to succeed the president if God forbid something happens to him while he is in the white house. As another poster said the person should be strong in the areas that Obama is perceived to be weak.

August 20, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  55. Pete, Fla.

Well I think John McCain is too much like Bush, and I believe Obama is mostly talk and no action. So for me, the V.P means everything.

August 20, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  56. Phillis an American in Germany

Yes, VP position is very important. I don't want some bonehead in charge should something (God forbid) happen to President Obama !.

August 20, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  57. elaine, atlanta

yes I think so. as long as its somebody thats trustworthy and honest. this country could not take another Dick Cheney.

August 20, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  58. Jannis M. Glover Savannah, GA

Absolutely I care, as well as all US citizens should deeply care about the V.P. candidates. After Cheney's reign, everyone should be painfully cognizant of not making the same kind of error again. The V.P. (God forbid!) might have to assume the presidency and we should all want someone who has to ability to lead the country into a positive direction rather than into the horrible downward spiral orchestrated by Bush and Cheney!

August 20, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  59. Heather- Kennesaw, GA

Yes. I hope Obama picks someone who has some teeth and will go get 'em. I hope McCain picks Lieberman. Then everything will be hunky-dorey.

August 20, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  60. Lucas from Pawling, NY

Jack – Sure the VP picks are important. But I cannot fathom why someone would make their vote dependent on who a nominee picks as their running mate. I've heard people say: "if Obama doesn't pick Hillary I'll vote for McCain". OUCH!
    An interesting aspect of the VP pick is the picture it paints of how the Presidential nominee sees the future of his party, as traditionally the VP is likely to become a candidate 4 to 8 years later.

August 20, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  61. Tom in Desoto Texas

Yes, after 8 years of Dick Cheney it has become very important who the V.P. If McCain gets in and considering his lack of knowledge in economic or anything else other than defense someone will have to point the ship.

August 20, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  62. DMAC in ID/ Independent thinking

At this time it really does matter. Look at Dick Chaney. He seems to opened up the office for more power than most people can remember ever before.
    Then," IF" something should happen to the Pres. be it illness or death, we need someone to trust to take over the reins. Also someone that knows their way around this political mess. I am not interested in a VP or Pres that is filling an OJT slot.

August 20, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  63. Pam Huber from Virginia

I care very much! In years gone past, I think the VP's role wasn't as "hands on" as it is now. This is a complicated country and world we live in. I think it takes a TEAM up there in DC to handle everything. I wish we could know a candidate's entire Cabinet before an election.

August 20, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  64. David From Washington, D.C.

Jack, who cares? The small amount of excitement garnered from the veep choice will be short lived and from McCains vantage point, totally uneventfull. I think that Barack should pick Governer Caine from Virginia. What a great attack dog he would be.

August 20, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  65. Jim, from Las Vegas

Very much so. At this point in time I am voting for "None of the above" (which I can do in NV). However, the right pick by Obama or McCain might change my vote.

It is especially important in the case of McCain. I see McCain as a one term president but with his age being such a factor I have to consider who would succede him.

August 20, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  66. Stacy from Fairfax, VA

I care a lot about VPs. How much do they matter to the presidency? If you can locate him, ask President Cheney.

August 20, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  67. bertha doucet

Jack, the american voters is not voting for the V.P.They are voting for the canidate who can best lead this country! Houston Texas

August 20, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  68. Shirley -AK OHIO

I care and I hope that it is Biden as I am a Democrate, but if it is not, I am not going to get bent out of shape about it. Obama is a very smart and intellegent man and knows what he is doing, but if he picks Hilliary I am going to have second thoughts about him. On the other hand, the Republicans should be very concern with John McCains age, not that I am wishing for anything to happen to him, but if it does, the person he picks is going to have to step in as President. If I was McCain, I would pick Huckabee. He is the only one that looks and acts presidential to me on the Republican side. The rest of them just looks downright silly and unpresidential.

August 20, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  69. Judie

Of course, I care. If something were to happen to the President, I would want someone who would know what he or she was doing if it ever happened that they needed to take charge.

In our situation now, the only thing worse than having Bush as president is having Cheney as President. Bush is just plain stupid and full of himself, but Cheney is just plain devious, dastardly, underhanded, self-serving, oil company/Halliburton-serving, with no regard for the common citizen of the U.S.

August 20, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  70. Chryssa

Jack, I would love it if McCain chose a pro-choice VP. It would dissolve the abortion issue for all the one-issue pro-life voters, and maybe force them to see the big picture.

Boise, ID

August 20, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  71. Mickie in Philadelphia, PA

It simply amazes me that so many people keep saying Obama doesn't have enough experience and needs a VP who does. Well, Dick Cheney had plenty of experience and look how great he did filling his and his cronies pockets at our expense. I think Obama has more experience than people realize and certainly more smarts than McCain. All McCain thinks about is his revenge for losing in Viet Nam and his "beer Barbie".

August 20, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  72. G.B. from Texas

V.P candidates are very important since that will give us a little knowledge of the type of administration expected from the party nominees. I really hope McCain picks the political prostitute called Lieberman who is ready to sell his soul to the devil for political gains.

August 20, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  73. Janet Ford

After eight years of Dick Cheney, shouldn't we? The vice president is one position that should not be disregarded. Let's hope we don't get burned again next time.

August 20, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  74. JS

I think Obama could use a second voice to keep the negative smears of the GOP in line, I never heard of Joe Biden backing away from a good fight.

August 20, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  75. Marie Ontario

For the Republicans it won't matter so much as their platforms and policies are pretty much carved in stone and whoever is chosen will follow the party line and cater to the religious wackos.

For the Democrats it will have a little more importance as a strong background in foreign affairs will be essential to counteract the Republican's fear mongering tactics.

Whether you like it or not a large portion of your citizens can be herded like sheep with fear mongering and prone to overlooking common sense and responsibility.

August 20, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  76. ben

Jack

Your damn right I care who the VP picks are. After Darth Cheney and his criminal gang we need to know who the VP pick is!

Ben
    Louisville, Ky

August 20, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  77. Jackie in Dallas

To Tom from Boston:

Kennedy's assissination and Lyndon Johnson becoming President did not give us the tragedy of Viet Nam. We had had a significant presence there since Eisenhower. It was only the buildup of troops, the increasingly unpopularity of the war (which included me!), and all which started under Kennedy, that made the war so blindingly obvious a tragedy. Johnson inherited the mess, made it a bit worse, then pulled us out. Kennedy picked Johnson for good solid reasons for the time: he needed the South, especially Texas, in order to get elected. Until he did, he was losing big time in the polls down south where the people didn't want a Catholic as President.

August 20, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  78. Mac in Truro Nova Scotia

McCain can have a perfectly balanced ticket. He is so adamately for the war so he should pick Michael Moore who is so adamately against the war.

August 20, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  79. Matt in Las Vegas, NV

The people that don't care are so stupid, their opinion shouldn't matter anyways.

August 20, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  80. Diane, Barneveld, NY

With our past history we need to have a VP that can take the reins in the event of an accident or illness, or God forbid, the death of the president. Those reins may be hitched to one wild horse and we need someone in the saddle that can handle the wild ride.

August 20, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  81. Greg, Los Angeles

Yes, I does Jack
    Senator Obama is about to totally divide us by ignoring us democrats who want this dream ticket. He barely won the primary and why can't you guys understand that he will look more Bush by ingoring the will of whole democratic party. Your poll said 28%of democrats prefer Hillary as VP 4 times higher than any of the others. All the other choices had have mimimum support in the single digits. So if he blows this choice prepare for the biggest divided convention next week.

August 20, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  82. Marie

Yes, I care. If anything happens, we're going to get the VP. I think Obama should take COLIN POWELL. That way he is crossing party lines, getting a conservative and someone with extremely good military and foreign relations experience.

August 20, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  83. bertha malveaux

Jack, the polls are tighten because The american voters have their own minds,they are not letting the media elect the president.obama is not ready to be our leader. Houston Texas

August 20, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  84. Barbara Barton Cherry Hill,NJ Area

Yes, they should play off eachothers, strenght and weakness and look good doing it.

August 20, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  85. Sandra fromTexas

Yes. This time John McCains' pick is more important than Obamas'. This person may very well end up being President if McCain is elected.

August 20, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  86. John

August 20, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  87. Paul S. Columbia, SC

It doesn't matter to me. I'm voting for Paris Hilton.

August 20, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  88. sarah, indiana

i dont care who they pick, it matters in the long run who mccain picks, but as long as he chooses someone who is NOT rudy gulliani, i can vote for him in peace.

August 20, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  89. Kim, Dodge City, Kansas

After seeing what the American Darth Vader (Cheney) has done to destroy democracy and personal freedoms, not to mention trying to sell the entire US government to the highest bidder, it appears that the VP spot has authority even the President can't match. So yeah, I guess it has become important to those who believe in, and value, the Constitution.

August 20, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  90. Harry

Of course I care who the V.P. is. Late night humor depends on it. Mark my words, we are going to need some humor to get us through the next four years.

Harry
    Ky.

August 20, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  91. L.A. Boston

Jack:

I didn't care until I saw todays Poll of Polls. Obama seems to be in a bit of a pickle. I honestly see Obama in a downward spiral and
    I would say Saturday's performance showed Americans just how much he doesn't know about anything. I think I may even look a little harder at his record not his charisma.

Having a good VP pick will certainly help him.

McCain needs to play to his base in order to seal it with them. So I guess yes his pick is just as important.

August 20, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  92. Ozzie

Yes, I care. Since I want Obama to win, I want him to choose someone who can help him do that. So, I think someone with good foreign policy credentials is important which is Obama's perceived weak spot. (Actually, he'd be great at foreign policy.) But also, I think someone who is well known should be chosen. So the two people that fit those criteria are Joe Biden and Bill Richardson.

from Manhattan, Kansas

August 20, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  93. David Richards

Normally no. For McCain it doesn't matter to me. I don't care who he picks. I'm not voting for that hypocritical, senile, old man. In the case of Obama it does matter. If he picks Hillary I'll stay home. If he doesn't pick Hillary he loses and we get four years of hell. We think Bush has been a bad President. Just wait for a McCain presidency.

August 20, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  94. Karl in CA

It didn't used to matter, or I never gave it much thought since the only two VP's to take over in my life time were Johnson and Ford, but after eight years of "Vice" President Cheney and his Bush puppet, it sure does now. I favor Biden for Obama, but any on his short list are acceptable as long as it isn't the Clinton's, note I used the plural.

August 20, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  95. Jay in Texas

I only care who Ralph Nader's running mate is and he has already chosen his. I'm also interested in seeing who Senator Obama chooses because if he doesn't select Senator Clinton, then the Nader/Gonzalez ticket will pick up a much bigger percentage of votes in November.
    Brownwood, Texas

August 20, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  96. Marie, Ewing, NJ

Whomever Obama picks will be fine. He has a wealth of talent to choose from. McCain, who cares?

August 20, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  97. Erin in SW Michigan

The country is so uncertain about everything right now, Jack. The war, the economy, Washington...

and we are even more reluctant about who we should hand the keys to the White House to

The VP–in this election–will go a long way in assuring or deterring the voters re: a particular ticket

So yes, the VP is more important than ever

August 20, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  98. mitchell ,arkansaw

yes i do. i think it's vital that obama picks wesley clark.he's not afraid to call mccain on his 'pow' card.he is also very knowledgeable,not only in military affairs ,but,politically,especially in the caucusus region of georgia ,ukraine,russia ,and the former soviet bloc countries. he's a huge supporter of our military men,obviously,and he can attack at the heart of the mccain camps strongsuit of mccain's so-called military and foriegn policy 'experience'.clark is an expert ,needed desperately in this time of conflicts.

August 20, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  99. Hope in Madisonville, KY

Obama needs Biden to be his pitbull in this contest. The only way
    McCain could beat him is to pick Huckabee for the conservatives but
    I really don't think the conservative vote will be enough to overcome
    the ground swell of support that Obama has. Even conservatives can
    see that McCain is having an awful lot of senior moments and they
    don't like negative campaigning like he is doing. Unless Obama
    really screws up royally, there is no way he'll lose.

August 20, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  100. Erica,TX

Hi Jack,

I care because it could mean the difference between victory and defeat.

August 20, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  101. Steve Clark

We sure do. We look at the VP we have now, he has caused almost all of the problems with our "FOREIGN POLICY". The misrepresentation of known facts, and then not being enough of a leader to stand up and tell the public he lied. Lieberman would fit right into the Cheney mold.
    The Clarks Norco,Ca.

August 20, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  102. Cliff

I care very much. With Obama's race and McCain's age, the VP selections are more important then ever.

August 20, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  103. John, Fort Collins, CO

This is important. Barack Obama should select a widely respected moderate eunuch with strong foreign poilcy experience. John McCain's choice for vice-president is easier. Any of the Republican superstars from the Katrina response team would fit right in.

August 20, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  104. Jason Walters

No, not really. I'm not voting for either candidate. Vote for an independent in "08!!!

August 20, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  105. Sandra

Of course I care, can you imagine another VP like Cheney? forget it, We don't need another Master of Puppets in this country

August 20, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  106. Billy G in Las Vegas

you damn right I care after Cheney

August 20, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  107. Pat,Lexington, Ky.

Somebody please help me – what is this about being able to spell potato?? I've obviously missed out on something!

August 20, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  108. Geri Britt

Yes. Biden should be Obama's VP since he is the most intelligent, thoughtful, and mature of all the choices on either side of the fence. But perhaps our nation deserves a Hillary/Bill Clinton instead.

I think Mayor Bloomberg would be a nice choice for VP. I also like Olympia Snow or Susan Collins on the Republican side. You know Jack, people who can think and act and who aren't into too much razzle dazzle.

Geri – Mead, Ok

August 20, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  109. stephanie/houston/tx

The VP should not over shadow but compliment the presidential candidate in the areas that they may appear to be weak in. Obama needs someone good in Foreign Policies with a History of Experience. McCain needs someone Younger with pro-life views who can attract minorities and younger votes.

August 20, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  110. John in Santa Barbara, CA

Hello, like this is for the Presidency of the United State. You don't take any chances with this gig. He should have already had Hillary on board and they could both attack McCain. More than likely, after the Bush adminstration, Obama is going to be tied up with international affairs and the VP is going to have to take care of the domestic issues, who better than Hillary.

August 20, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  111. Spencer, Newport News, VA

In. Sen. Obama's case, his VP choice will be a very important decision. He needs someone strong on Foreign Policy and someone who can attack the Republican Machine. Joe Biden or Hillary Clinton are the most significant names that stick out to me. On the other hand, I don't see any Republican VP pick that will help McCain at all. Romney, Ridge and Lieberman will definitely cost him the election. His best bet is to pick Huckabee who has a huge amount of support in the GOP base. No matter what, the Democrats are taking back the White House.

August 20, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  112. Bryant

Mark in Asheville, sir, you are the epitome of a "hater", soon you shall be eating crow.

With that said, Obama has to choose experience, over popularity, ie,. Joe Biden over Hillary Clinton. I believe that Senator Biden will be the appropriate attack dog against McCain, and anyone that he may choose as his VP, his quick wit, knowledge, and overall standing in the Senate, will bode will for the Democratic party, and will be able to turn things around. As for Hillary, it is because of her "kitchen sink" strategy, that Obama has to deal with McCain's negative ads and slams now. She made her own bed.

August 20, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  113. Michael, Lorain, Ohio

With an election this close, the nominee could make or break his chances with a weak (attack-dog) VP selection. So yeah, I'd like to think that this VP selection is important. Also, remember, there is no incumbant on either ticket.

August 20, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  114. Perez, Freeport Grand Bahama; Bahamas

Of course i care Jack. Its the difference of who wants to be a snob and hope somthing happens to the Presidential candidate, so they then could now slide in and assume the "commander and cheif" role. A la Hillary R. Clinton

August 20, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  115. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The the dead heat in the polls, The right pick for either could be the tie breaker. Being no fan of Obama's, I'd like to see him pick someone with more than 5 minutes of experience. For McCain, someone with executive experience (i.e. a governor). A woman would clinch it for him as long as she was pro-life.

August 20, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  116. Linda in Brampton, Canada

Hi Jack
    I'm not that interested in the VP picks – unless of course Hillary Clinton gets picked as a running mate – what will interest me there is watching and reading your reaction!!

Linda

August 20, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  117. Bev Stewart

I know that things look bad for Obama right now. Nevertheless, I believe that he is electable and his Veep choice is critical. I think that it should be a woman–but not Hillary Clinton. If not a woman, the VEEP candidate should be Biden. I think that people who have been
    Democrats for years need to unite and not let the Clintons destroy the Democratic Party. I was a registered Republican and I switched over to vote for Obama. If the Democratic Party allows the Clintons to destroy the party's opportunity to win the election, I will never vote for a Democratic presidential nominee again.

August 20, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  118. rob

you have to care–look at Cheney . That man is one old scarey mess.
    Can you imagine if he were made President we would be the U.S. of Mexico .The man can't be trusted

August 20, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  119. Kyle Irvine, CA

Jack,
    I care and I don't care at the same time. Obama could choose his mother to be VP and I still woulden't care. Barrack Obama is young (a little to young I think) and healthy which means he will stay in command unless the unthinkable happens.

Then there is John McCain who is older with questionable health. His VP needs to be young, healthy, and whom acts "presidential" because who ever the next Vice President is, has a good chance becoming President.

August 20, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  120. helen

I think the Veep choice will matter to voters more this year than in others, due to McCain's age, Obama's inexperience and the tightness of the race. The by the minute bloggers will also have a feast with someone new to write about, so I expect we'll have more exposure to the VP candidates this year than before. How much it will count is anyone's guess.

August 20, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  121. barry

If McCain picks Joe Lieberman he will seal the deal and win over Hillary Clinton supporters. I should know I am one of them....No matter who Senator Obama picks the choice will not motivate the base unless he chooses Senator Clinton. Sorry Jack but you media types have set up the dems for defeat by not supporting the stronger candidate Senator Clinton. Just look at the latest Gallop and Zogby Polls.

August 20, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  122. Rufus in Twentynine Palms, CA

Hey Jack, If you don't think it matters much who the V.P. candidates are, just ask the millions of Hoosiers who are still reeling from George H.W. Bush's V.P choice of Dan Quayle back in 1988. They even formed an organization in response to Bush 41's choice...it was called HEAD (Hoosiers Embarrassed About Dan).

August 20, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  123. Lynn, frustrated Republican, CA

The VP is very important, my generation learned that when Johnson took office – I think Joe Biden would be an excellent choice and certainly has more character and experience than McBush – so it would be a win/win situation for the country if we had an Obama/Biden White House.

August 20, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  124. Rose

Of course I care who will be the next VP, that person may be our next president. I think that both of the candidates will be sure to give their VP more responsible duties. This is not a one man job, a President needs support and strong abilities from their V.P. pick.. I don't think either candidate should pick a VP that will help them win a state, that is just a good enough reason.

Rose
    AZ

August 20, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  125. Gail Centre, Al.

Who cares what he does, MCcain is going to beat him anyway.

August 20, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  126. Barry Wantagh,NY

Since the Chaney era. The Vice President position has become much more important.

August 20, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  127. Carol

With McCain it doesn't matter for McCain is mature and has experience. Obama can't seem to put any distance between McCain and himself so he needs a power VP to give him a bost in the ratings.

Carol in Oregon

August 20, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  128. Mike in St. Pete Beach, Florida

Please, please, please be Biden.

August 20, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  129. Pat in MIchigan

yes I think this year it is very important........and Obama-Biden would make a fantastic ticket..........let's just hurry up and get Obama elected and start packing up Bozo's stuff to ship back to Texas

August 20, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  130. Cynthia

Not really as long it is not Hilliary Clinton because I don't trust her and the negatives that should would bring. He also needs someone who can handle all of the negatives that are coming from Senator McCain and his surrogates.

August 20, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  131. Praetorian, Fort Myers

Not really.
    In the case of McCain–we may need them sooner due to his age–but anybody is as good as #3 on the list–Nancy Pelosi.

Mr. Peanut would do.

August 20, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  132. Brendan, Phoenix Arizona

I am very interested. Look what we learned about Bush and Cheney. They were meant for each other!

August 20, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  133. Elaine Johnson

VPs are important this year as we have inexperience and older possible President.
    Obama cannot hold his own alone and that is obvious as he has flipflopped so many times and won't admit truth (such as surge has worked).
    McCain is older and health can be an issue and so let us be truthful about that issue.
    Elaine Johnson
    Chicago, Il

August 20, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  134. Karen - Missouri

I trust Obama will pick the VP who will help him get things done in Washington over the next four years. McCain's? Who cares...Insane McCain won't get elected anyway...too old...too crazy.

while I've always backed Obama, if he picks Hillary that's ok with me. The Republicans have created an economic and political disaster with this country over many years and it's time they go home!

I say vote straight Democratic ticket to get this country back on track!

August 20, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  135. Dori in AZ

Aw, c'mon, Jack!

The slot of the vice presidency should be thoughtfully filled, considering that in the loss or incapacitation of the president, the duties of the top office in the nation fall to that person.

Consider this: During President Bush's almost eight-year-long incapacitation, who's been making the tough decisions and really running this country?

And, frankly, if it doesn't really matter who fills it, I'm retired and available!

August 20, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  136. Ted from Beaverton, OR

Of Course. It could make the difference up the road especially for McCain. He doesn't have much to choose from. Obama doesn't face that shortfall. There are a heck of a lot more and better qualified Democrats available to fill cabinet and administration positions. With McCain, I suppose most of the same old, same old people would still be kickin back soaking up tax payer dollars waitin for the retirement train. Think about that one next time you're waiting at the unemployment window or your friends get the letter from the Defense Department informing them about their son or daughter.

August 20, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  137. Joe in DE

Yes several would lose my vote including:: Lieberman & Romney or on the Democratic side Richardson or Caroline Kennedy. .

August 20, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  138. Frank from Peterborough

I think the VP choice will have some importance to the candidates but the real problem comes with who the President picks as his cabinet and advisors.

People already have a good idea of who McCain will choose as he only has that one small cess pool to pick from and you will almost certainly get Phil Gramm as his economic advisor. You will also likely get Tom Ridge so you will know when to wrap your homes in plastic and duct tape. Good luck you just might need it.

August 20, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  139. Jackie in Dallas

Pat from Lexington:

The posters are referring to Bush, Sr.'s VP, who went to an elementary school and corrected a fifth grader for spelling potato correctly. He thought it needed an "e" at the end. Of course, Quayle had so many endearing moments as "idiot of the decade" it is hard to choose which was his defining moment, but being outspelled by a fifth-grader was always MY favorite.

Wikipedia's bio quotes: "his good looks were praised by Senator John McCain, who said "I can't believe a guy that handsome wouldn't have some impact."

This decision was criticized by many who felt that Quayle did not have enough experience to be President should something happen to Bush."

However, the American public went with looks and not intelligence, which is how we got a VP who couldn't spell potato.

August 20, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  140. Rocky - Michigan

It doesn't matter to me I've made up my mind and will continue to vote Republican until the Democrats wake up and elect a more moderate candidate. This election was theres to lose and thats what they are going to do.

August 20, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  141. Richard Sternagel

It doesn't matter to me.I trust Sen. Obama's Judgement!

August 20, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  142. REG in AZ

Yes, but I'm not the strategist like Karl Rove. Bidden could offer the experience and extensive foreign policy and more credibility while also playing the 'bad cop' in contrast to Obama's 'good cop' image. Michael Moore recommends Caroline Kennedy which offers a well loved interesting contender. The others all offer their values too and as long as they don't provide any negative points to attack, the choice is tough.

August 20, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  143. Carol from Northampton, MA

Yes, it provides insight into their judgment and shows whether they put politics before leadership.

August 20, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  144. Kerry in Florida

Of course, we should all care..When you have a "nut" like Cheney who comes into the office of the Vice President with all his oil buddies and other ventures to rape our country easily using "executive privilege" to get away with anything, we should care.

August 20, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  145. John

Jack, I really like you, but I don't know why you said there is a "groundswell" for Caroline Kennedy-

Only Mike Moore said something about it, and he was probably not serious.

August 20, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  146. Michael B, FL

Well, if the VP doesn't share the same views as the candidate, then there would be a problem. But, if the VP shares the same views, then I don't care who it is.

August 20, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  147. wally Ruehmann las Vegas nv

as long as the last name isn't CLINTON, but don't waste the best talent on the v.p. spot, doesn't take much talent to go to funerals, sec. of state that wear we could really use some help, the one we have now is about as worthless as crab grass in my lawn!

August 20, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  148. Janice Pound

Yes. A V.P. who compliments the president and can help/continue his plans of governing. I liked the governor Byrh for Obama, (cannot recall correct spelling) and if anyone heard Ralph Nader's V.P. speak you would like him to be running for Pres. Too, bad he can't be snatched away from Nader. In McCain's case I don't think it matters, McCain strikes me as someone who could care less since he would'nt be asking an opinon of the V,P anyway.

August 20, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  149. John, Winston Salem, NC

All the media are playing along with the V.P. election. Right now people wants to know what the President and the current vice-president are doing and what they plan to do to fix a little of the mess we have.

August 20, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  150. Diane

The more I think about Joe Biden as VP, the more I like the idea. I know the MSM concentrates on his foreign policy expertise, but what should also be mentioned ALOT is his experience and knowledge of the law and the Constitution. This will compliment Barack's experience in teaching Constitutional Law. Alot of dust has collected over the last 8 years on that valuable document, and I think it is about time we have not one, but two people that can execute it effectively once again.

August 20, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  151. Mike Dalton, Orlando, FL

We live in a very unsettling world, not unlike those of the early '60s where we find ourselves embroiled in bitter philosophical arguments that often turn violent. Top that with a potential president who is young, dynamic, and black and you have a heightened potential for assasination attempts.

Should the other candidate win, age alone poses the significant potential that number 2 could move up the ladder.

You damn right I care. While some may think this is a popularity contest each of our lives hangs in the balance of the decision(s) we'll make in November.

August 20, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  152. Lanny, Corbin kentucky

Jack, I agree with barry who posted earlier. If Obama does not pick hillary as his running mate I will not vote for him. I would be more motivated to vote for mccain.

August 20, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  153. William in Sanford, NC

The office of the Vice-President is more important than most people realize. I would hope that any presidential candidate take the time and effort to choose a qualified person. But to answer your question honestly, I don't care who will be vice-presidential candidates this year since Ron Paul will not be on the ballot.

August 20, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  154. Brandon Baker

Of course I care, but not because it's going to drastically change anything in the race. Frankly, I love to hear the speculation, the drama, and the end result of the picks... which could be praise-worthy or disastrous. Honestly, who knew the process of picking a Vice President could be so similar to a soap opera?
    Fun fun fun.

August 20, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  155. gloria dingus from Massachusetts

Yes. Because you need to have the worlds diplomat at your side to teach you protocol which is of utmost important going forward.

August 20, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  156. Sara McAtee

Obama has indeed inspired change...

Because for the first time EVER, I will be voting republican if Obama doesn't pick Hilary for VP.

Sara McAtee
    Bloomington, Minnesota.

August 20, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  157. John in Los Angeles

Yes, I do care who the VP candidates are.

For Obama, it needs to be Hillary Clinton. The new Reuters poll show him 5 points behind Mccain due to the economy being the most important factor. Guess who was leading in the economy back in the primaries? Mrs. Clinton.

August 20, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  158. Steve, Illinois

I support Obama but I am really tired of waiting to hear who his VP pick is. I care more that it's starting to seem like a game than about who it is.

August 20, 2008 at 5:10 pm |
  159. Steve, Illinois

Oh Caroline Kennedy!! That's the best thing I've heard about this election in quite some time!!

Do it!!!!

August 20, 2008 at 5:14 pm |
  160. Alani Amusa from Virgnia

Jack,
    After what Dick did to this country for 7 years, yes I do care who the VP will be for Obama and McCain. McCain/Liberman or Obama/Clinton will be a big mistake for both candidates.

August 20, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  161. Jack

It does only if u want another Cheney in to created rulkes and policies that will take away civil liberties

August 20, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  162. Tom in Michigan

Yes, I do care. In the case of Obama, it reveals his thinking and decision-making on one of his first major decisions. This applies to both candidates, of course, but with such a thin record of decision-making, it is relatively more important for Obama. In both cases, we will see who the candidates believes would make a good president, next to himself. This is important, not only in revealing the candidate's judgement, but in who may be on the inside track for future succession.

August 20, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  163. Paula F. Hanes

Unlike running for presedent, the V.P. position seems like anyone could apply. It looks like a new TV game show. Can I be a contestent?

Paula F. Hanes
    Glendale, Arizona

August 20, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  164. Tre in Austin

Yes, I do care. We need a Presidential Team that can address the divisivesness of our party. Because together we can really bring about real change and new experiences.

We can not afford to have 4-8 more years of Rebuplican "Experience and Judgement".

August 20, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  165. Liv McLea

I'm a Canadian that is fascinated by U.S. politics and watch most of the shows on TV that are concerned with politics BUT.....even I don't care who the V.P. for each candidate is ! They will both pick who they think will be the best for them to work with. This is the longest, drawn out pre- election stuff...bar none...in the world. By the time the election takes place in November it will be a relief to get back to important news that takes place in the world. Obama needs Hillary and McCain needs to go home.

August 20, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  166. Sharon in Ithaca, NY

Jack,

Since Obama is not leading by a great margin he desperately needs a shot in the arm and that is the chosing of Hillary Clinton as Vice President.

So many of us that I know and others I don't know feel the combination and knowledge would help bring this country back to recovery.

August 20, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  167. Matthew

No, I personally don't care who the VP is. They're not going to be running the country. The Democrats definitly don't have this problem because nothing devastating will probably happen to Obama. However, the Republicans really have to consider this because McCain is old and does have considerable health problems, and even if he does die because of this it could leave him in a condition in which he can't properly govern the country. So, if this happens the Republicans will want a strong VP who can become a strong president and can save the Republican Party.

August 20, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  168. Alice

I have the inside track about Obama's "veep." It is going to be Michele Obama, his wife. He is just that arrogant.

August 20, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  169. KenB, MI

Okay...I have one name to give and that name should tell you, Jack, why its important to choose the right VP candidate – Joe Lieberman..what a God awful pick..now Gore was formal in his attack dog posture...gotta like that...nuff said

August 20, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  170. linda

Jack Since Oprah endorsed Obama as her next "Favourite Thing " his popularity in the polls immediatly jumped so in gratitude maybe he should name her as his vice president. Weve bought into every other thing she endorsed making her not only rich but powerful. Sincerly Linda

August 20, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  171. Maggie

I'm very concerned about the VP choices. Mainly because I think there's a better than average change of each candidate not making it thru his first term.

August 20, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  172. stefan

I care more about what positive aspects they can contribute to an administration, rather than WHO they are!

August 20, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  173. Juliet Klein

Yes, the VP is very important – I just hope it is NOT Hilary!!!! In contrary to what the MEDIA broadcast the whole day, I do not believe that Hilary really wants Obama to win. The Clintons do not have that true "liking" to Senator Obama, just see the recent primary smear campaign pictures all over again.

August 20, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  174. Jay in Fort Lauderdale

Are you kidding me? Vice Presidents are like back up Quarterbacks. Can anyone recite who the back up QB's were for Brett Farve, Peyton Manning, or Tom Brady? The job is created for one thing, and one thing only, ... for an unexpected emergency situtation where the man in charge can not suit up. Dont get me wrong, I concur that the position has some importance, and probably more important to the Presidential candidate for tactical/geographical votes than anything else.

Did I mention that back up QB's in the NFL change the batteries in the headsets worn by the team coaches and staff? Get my drift?

August 20, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  175. Bill Davis

Naming a vice president is right up there with naming my dog.

Here Cheney had a good ring to it, especially for a vicious guard dog.

And Here Quaylie for my hunting dog.

August 20, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  176. Louise

Very deffinately..God forbid, but if we should lose our President, whomever he/she may be it is very imortant we have a person of knowledge and one with exemplementry morals.

August 20, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  177. Art Thommen

Correction and additional fodder: Carter chose Mondale and Mondale became nominee; Clinton chose Gore and Gore became nominee and should have been President!
    Nuff said!

August 20, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  178. Chris, Thousand Oaks Ca

I care very much. Everyone should care because that person is a heart beat away from the Presidency. And in the case of Bush, Cheney is running the country because Bush is so incompetent. Same for whomever McCain picks as he (McCain) is as anti-intellectual as Bush. As for Obama, I hope it's not sore loser Hillary. But if it is, I won't go vote for McSame, like the old dopey PUMAs on this blog are threatening if Obama doesn't pick her.

August 20, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  179. Mike Cohen

We've had a pro life president for seven and a half years, a pro life congress since 1994 and still Roev Wade stands as the law of the land. I only care that Obama doesn't make a mistkae. Hillary is a mistake. Biden is a mistake (nice guy but he's got a big mouth). Just no mistakes is all I ask for.

Mike

Connecticut

August 20, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  180. speedingpullet

Oh, enough already with the VP speculation!

You guys and all the other news media are having the same 'debate' every 15 minutes – none of you know, none of us know, and combined we won't know until they declare. Thank goodness I have TiVo and can fast forward though the constant 'froth' about this non-issue.

It reminds me of a kid trying to figure out what their birthday present's going to be – 'is it round? Is it big? Can I just hold it to see?'.
    And like most kids, after weeks of constant pestering about the contents, a few minutes after the wrapper's been torn off, the present will be put aside and forgotten about.

August 20, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  181. don in Naples, Florida

The V.P. pick is unimportant. No candidate on the ballot has addressed bringing down the national debt– so as far as anything is concerned they are all ditto-heads, the same thing in different packages.

August 20, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  182. Joe Sioux Falls, SD

Yes it matters. Since he/she could potentially be the president, therefore it's imperative that the individual shares the candidate's dedication to the issues

August 20, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  183. keith a dewey

Caroline Kennedy should be VP. She would get all the woman who voted for bush twice and then voted for Hillary. This election is about emotion the public has parked their brains.

August 20, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  184. Karen Olson

absolutely I care... McCain's age makes him a risk factor... the Presidency has a way of aging people a lot... just look at some 'before' and 'after' photos of previous Presidents and one can't help but think that McCain's health is a huge factor... Obama's amazing charisma and promise of change that bring hope to me.. and I really hate to say this... bring back frightening memories of John, Martin, and Bobbie... promising voices of hope from the past who's lives were cut short... the American people should definitely take a long, hard look at the vice presidential candidates.

August 20, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  185. Suzy Bertrand

Do I care how Obama picks as a vice president? Not really. I see it more as an effort to sway voters who are not sure if anything. I am voting for Obama no matter what. He could pick Rush Limbaugh as a VP and I would vote for him.

August 20, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  186. Hannah L. Baton Rouge,LA

Picking a VP is not something people should take lightly. The VP is literally one heartbeat from running this country say something horrible should happen. Obama and McCain are doing the right thing by scrutinizing their choices and choosing the candidate they deem fit for the job. Everyone needs a strong plan B even if plan B is never needed.
    P.s.
    Sen. Obama, may I suggest you consider Sen. Landrieu?

August 20, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  187. Chantey Minneapolis, MN

If its not Hillary Clinton he picks (Obama that is....and by the one I'm EXTREMELY disappointed her and was not one of her supporters in the primary) then no, I don't care. Picking anyone else seems pointless and certainly nothing to get excited about.

They may not like each other all the much, but together, they'd wipe the floor with McCain and change this country in marvelous ways.

Decisions, decisions....

August 20, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  188. John Adams

For the Democrats the choice is easy. Hillary is a fighter and when the negative ads start she'll tell the Republicans "WHERE TO GO." Send Bill overseas until the election is over doing "humanitarian work" and have it on all the news networks.
    On the Republican side, I don't really care. John McCain's time was in 2000. But he got "swiftboated" by Bush-Rove after he won the New Hampshire primary. The "pack of lies" they made up about his Vietnam experience as a POW took him out of the race. Why didn't he "fight back?" Probably no money. If I was in his shoes "I would have taken both of them "behind the barn" and "beat the crap out of them."

John Adams
    Ormond Beach FL

August 20, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  189. David P. Vernon

Tucson, AZ – The Vice Presidency was described by one incumbent as "not worth a bucket of warm spit." Nonetheless, eight times the VP has had to succeed to the Presidency, three deaths in office from illness, four assassinations and one resignation in the face of impeachment. First and foremost, the VP should be able to fill the Presidency if called upon to do so. With any luck, Democrats will hold 60 Senate seats after this election, so there will be no tie-breakers. The VP can do any job the President gives him, although he is not officially in the "Chain of Command" until and unless he succeeds to the Presidency. It really does matter – what if GW Bush had picked someone other than Cheney to run with him?

August 20, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  190. Sherri Wickiser (From Casper, Wy.)

Absolutely. McCain needs someone to take over if he drops dead from old age, and Obama needs someone to take over if, well..the last young President didn't fair so well himself (Ie, John Kennedy). Both VPs need to be able to lead.

August 20, 2008 at 5:35 pm |
  191. Charles

Jack I think it
    is very important who the VP pick is.This person would
    become president if anything
    happens to the president.this person would carry out the plans of the admnistration ,lead in wartime and peacetime. This person must be ultra dependable, and a good shot unlike Dead-eye Dick Chaney!!!!!

August 20, 2008 at 5:36 pm |
  192. Douglas J. Aldrich

Yes Jack it makes a difference. Barack has a good crop it looks like
    to me. However, the group over there with Mcsame could not lead
    a herd of cows through the White House door.

August 20, 2008 at 5:37 pm |
  193. Charles, Fremont, IN

Jack for Vice President..either party...who cares!! That about sums up my feelings on this subject.

August 20, 2008 at 5:37 pm |
  194. what the heck

pat swords
    naperville, Illinois

I think a Republican who is or some in the religious right thinks he is, pro choice would really be fun to watch. Elephants attacking elephants over something mot of us care little about...what fun!!

August 20, 2008 at 5:37 pm |
  195. Rudy in California.

Yes the VP's matter! This is especially true of this election between Obama and McCain. It's hard to ignore that McCain is getting on in years, and sadly, Obama is going to be at risk because of his color. I know these are subjects that no one wants to address publicly, but it's a cold hard fact that cannot be overlooked.

August 20, 2008 at 5:37 pm |
  196. Susan - Plano, TX

I care very much because the Healthy Profie of the marriage of President and VP impacts the future of our young generation. With the Iraq war going on with no definite indication of its end – how we are going to fund the war and support our troop to how we are going to take care of the injured soldiers that Bush and McCain them to the unjustified war? This war has deminished our nation's strength in economic, politic and the peace of our society.

By the way, McCain is free to choose anyone he wants to because he won't get my vote, nor my children's.

August 20, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  197. circy in New Mexico

For me, it depends on who the Presidential candidate is. I have faith in Barrack Obama and think he will carefully choose a good VP candidate. But John McCain? That's like asking a disaster to bring along his buddies.

August 20, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  198. Mike Smith, New Orleans LA

I think Dan Quayle and Dick Cheney are proof that it doesn't matter who is Vice President.

August 20, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  199. Alex

I am a Republican whose vote now depends solely on who McCain picks for VP. If he picks anyone other than Mitt Romney, I will NOT vote for McCain. That stance is set in concrete!

August 20, 2008 at 5:46 pm |
  200. Joe Cooper

I believe this year VP selection is important for the following reasons:

On the GOP side Senator McCain will be 72 years old August 29th.
    McCain needs to pick someone who can assume the presidency if necessary.
    Senator McCain will also need to rely on a VP capable of becoming USA's traveling repair man/woman.
    GOP only has 18 senators 60 years old or younger, my choice is Senator Chuck Hagel if he would run.

On the Democratic side Senator Obama needs a VP able to become USA's traveling ambassador to start repairing eight years of damage caused by the current neo-con administration.
    Senator Biden would be my choice!!

August 20, 2008 at 5:46 pm |
  201. Praetorian, Fort Myers

I say it matters very little. Since the 3rd in line to the throne is Nancy Pelosi–it's a leap to believe she is capable of the executive office. So who actually sits in the VP chair is unimportant–the person will be continuing the policies and executing the strategies of the sitting President–whom they may replace.

The key–is who will be the chief executive. Thats the person who will set the agenda, pace, and strategy for the administration for the next four years. The VP is a "back-up" in case the worse happens–not the leader–the leader is the one you need to bank your investment on.

August 20, 2008 at 5:47 pm |
  202. Bill Nehring

Yes, especially with McCain already 72 and the election hasn't even taken place. Just in my lifetime (I'm nearly 66) Truman, Johnson, and Ford all became president without being elected to that office due to FDR's death, JFK's assassination and Nixon's resignation. If we elect an old fart like McCain, it could easily happen again.

August 20, 2008 at 5:48 pm |
  203. Christopher

Jack,

The reason I care who the VP candidates are is because they play an important role in regards to shaping the electorate come November. VP choices can be the difference between a purple state turning red or turning blue; and they also have the ability to strengthen a weakness the presumptive nominees have.

August 20, 2008 at 5:48 pm |
  204. Jimmy

Much to do about nothing. I wish we still elected the VP as it was originally laid out in the Constitution.

August 20, 2008 at 5:49 pm |
  205. nedra

Of course I care, we need Joe Biden. Wish he would have run for President in 2004 – he is the perfect choice. All old people love Joe Biden and we love you too Jack (you should go to MSNBC)

August 20, 2008 at 5:53 pm |
  206. Larry Allen

I care. I care a lot. It matters A LOT. The VP choice is important for many reasons. It's the first major decision of the presumptive nominee. It can be quite telling. That choice could be someone who may become president one day as well like Richard Nixon, Lyndon Johnson or George H.W. Bush

August 20, 2008 at 5:53 pm |
  207. Mitchell

I don't care, as long as its not a clone of Cheney

August 20, 2008 at 5:53 pm |
  208. Carol D in Durham Maine

Absolutely care. Will it change my mind from Obama... NO. I don't want 12 years of failing policies from serious war mongers who have no clue about the middle class, or those working poor who can't afford health care.

Hopefully, Obama will put Biden on the Secretary of State list. A govenor would be great.
    Gov.Rendell; Gov. Richardson...

August 20, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  209. victor

Well Jack it is very important as to who a Presidential candidate pick as their running mate. The Vice-President is not the next in line to the Presidency,but also the first cabinet level pick before a person is elected by the American. It gives the electorate a peek into the judgment of the president- to- be as to the competent people he will surround himself with.

August 20, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  210. Nick Gibson

John Adams famous words about the vice presidency still stand true: "My country has, in its wisdom, contrived for me the most insignificant office ever the invention of man contrived or his imagination conceived."

August 20, 2008 at 5:57 pm |
  211. stormerF

Yes it will matter what we need is a business man not a politican thats why Mitt would be the better VP.Someone who could run Government as a business not a socialist state.

August 20, 2008 at 5:57 pm |
  212. Diane - Vancouver, WA

Yes, I really do care who the VP candidate is. I was disappointed in both Gore's and Kerry's choices (and look, I was proved right!).
    Obama needs someone with impecable credentials, no scandals, experience and must be a fighter. I go for Biden or Clinton. Obama is a great guy. I really like him and respect him, but he needs someone to come out swinging.

August 20, 2008 at 5:58 pm |
  213. tammy

obama should pick hilary clinton, thats what will be very good for him..
    his poll is already dropping and he should be wiser adn not stubborn and arrogant.
    He should learn his lessons by now.. if the primaries were to be held this week , he will fail .
    tell him to pick hilary Clinton

August 20, 2008 at 5:59 pm |
  214. Bob

I care, and I will not vote for McCain if he chooses Romney, Ridge, or Lieberman. I'm not alone, either.

August 20, 2008 at 6:05 pm |
  215. Ayesha Muhammad

No this is not a joke, if the Dems, want to walk into the White House and Obama does not pick Hillary or Caroline, all efforts should be extended to get GORE in the VP slot. No joke!!!! He is qualified to be President, and according to some should have been.

August 20, 2008 at 6:06 pm |
  216. BKoi

Someone has to care! My dad used to say, The whole world is crazy, except you and me, and I'm not so sure about you!

August 20, 2008 at 6:06 pm |
  217. Kim from Los Angeles

I care a great deal who Obama picks as VP. If he is as smart as I suspect he is, he will get by his ego and pick Hillary Clinton.
    Michelle might not approve, but it will guarantee a win for the Dems in November.

August 20, 2008 at 6:07 pm |
  218. c. Thom

Of course the VP choice is important, but more so to the Obama camp. This person will hopefully bridge the areas that they (McCainites) say he lacks. As far as the polls go, it stands to reason that they would tightened in a two-horse race. Relax, there is still much time to go.

August 20, 2008 at 6:08 pm |
  219. Herman Johnson

How important is the choice of VP. Remember that Gerald R. Ford became the only President and Vice President that was not elected to either office. Why? As a Conservative he was rewarded the VP for supporting Richard Nixon – replacing Spiro T. Agnew under the 25th Amendment. Richard M. Nixon's resignation elevated him to the office of President, and he subsequently gave Nixon a blanket pardon. A shocked nation never let him recover from that offense. Conservative Republican politics was the godfather of the nation.

August 20, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  220. Alice Humphrey

Caroline Kennedy for V.P,( going to bottom of barrol for this one)
    please give us a break.

August 20, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  221. Connie, Richmond, VA

It matters! It amazes me how many people still think Obama is weak on foreign policy! He's the only one who got Iraq, Afghanistan and where the real war was from the beginning! Even Maliki agreed with his timetable just as Bush, then McCain followed Obama by speaking of time "horizons"!

Once again Obama called it right in his restraint in the Georgia/Russia conflict versus McCain's "gunslinger"/post Vietnam response of war, knowing we do not have the troops to go to war, even in the Afghanistan war we're already in! And Georgia started it.

Obama's pick is not just to unite the democratic party, as one person suggested, as Obama and his VP must govern ALL Americanss.

August 20, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  222. Don

This is my first post to a blog but, given the subject, I thought it important to offer my view. With all due respect to all who have posted here, I'm afraid they miss the point with respect to the importance of the choice for V.P. The old adage, "A V.P. is only a heart beat away from the Presidency" has never been more important.

McCain is aged and anything could happen at any moment, as with all of us elderly adults. Obama is a prime target for the many racist and radical elements that we host here in this country as well as the mentally unbalanced. So, therefore, I believe that we should hope that both nominees will choose a V.P. candidate that we could be happy with him/her leading this country, should the unthinkable happen.

August 20, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  223. Mike Baird

What is good for the Party beats what is good for the country every time. Sad commentary...

August 20, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  224. Connie, Richmond, VA

Jack,
    I care, but what's the use? Anyone Obama chooses will be torn to shreds by the media, while McCain's pick will be under covered, just like McCain himself is. The McCain pick will aslo be shined up by the media and we'll end up with another Cheney.

I don't look forward to the next feeding frenzy we'll have like what's going on now, when the VP's are chosen. I'm tired.

August 20, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  225. Grace Martin

It matters. After the Cheney Regime, we should know that it matters a lot.

August 20, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  226. Don Stampe

Obama can not win without Hillary. I am very sure of that.

August 20, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  227. Mike

I should be either one's VP. I know at least as much about vice as Dead Eye Dick Cheney.

August 20, 2008 at 6:17 pm |