August 4th, 2008

Should Obama consider Clinton for V.P.?

Click the play button to see what Jack and our viewers had to say.

Click the play button to see what Jack and our viewers had to say.

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

When it comes to Hillary Clinton – not so fast.

Some Democrats are worried that Barack Obama isn't farther ahead in the polls at this point, especially when you consider the unpopularity of President Bush, the often unfocused campaign being run by John McCain and Obama's successful trip overseas. Suddenly some are wondering whether Obama should reconsider putting Clinton on the ticket.

Watch: Cafferty: Hillary for VP?

CNN Senior Political Analyst David Gergen points out that the major tests for a V.P. pick are whether the person is qualified to be president, and if that person will give you a better chance of winning. Clinton predicted during the primaries that the Republican attack machine would be in full bloom against Obama. One columnist wrote – reacting to some of McCain's recent ads – "The swift boats have sailed," a reference to the Republican smear campaign that destroyed John Kerry's chances. Gergen suggests there's no one better than Hillary and Bill Clinton to fight off such attacks.

Clinton supporter Lanny Davis points to a recent poll that shows Obama holding a 1-point lead over McCain, but when voters were asked to choose between Obama-Clinton versus McCain and Mitt Romney the Democrats' lead then jumps to 9 points. This strongly suggests that even though Clinton might drive away some voters, she has the potential to bring in even more. Davis suggests Obama could not lose with Clinton on the ticket, as she would shore up key voting blocks.

Meanwhile, there are indications from some former Clinton supporters – particularly those in the women's movement – that if Obama picks anyone but Clinton, the divisions from the primary season just might not heal. They are adamant that Obama can't assume Clinton's supporters will back him regardless of whom he picks as V.P.

Here’s my question to you: Should Barack Obama be seriously considering Hillary Clinton for V.P.?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Joe from St. Louis writes:
Jack, On this matter, there is no leeway. The Clintons are old-school dirty politicians. He promises change and hope. I hope he does not change my opinion of him.

Gerri from Mead, Oklahoma writes:
In order to have a really interesting four-year period, filled with suspense and intrigue, I think Obama should choose the Clintons for his V.P. It will be like watching the entertainment channel. And let's face it Jack, with the downturn in the economy, which is bound to get worse before it gets better, the American people could use a few laughs while they watch nightly news.

Karen from Nashville, Tennessee writes:
He has already considered a large number of qualified people, and she didn't make the cut. They are, simply put, incompatible. Hillary Clinton is incapable of working with anyone who is not part of her carefully chosen inner circle of sycophants. And Barack Obama is not a desperate man.

DJ from Detroit writes:
Barack and Billary: the 3-headed Republican machine-destroying monster. I think I like!

Bob from Kentucky writes:
Obama needs Hillary to get elected. She would guarantee him the majority of the female vote and would help him carry Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Florida and California. None of the other names being thrown around bring half as much to the table as she does.

Carrie from Charlotte, North Carolina writes:
Absolutely not. I don't dislike Hillary Clinton but I resent the strong-arm tactics being used by her supporters to force him to select someone as his V.P. who I don't believe will be 100% in his corner. Besides, capitulating to your former competitor's supporters is not the way to begin the presidency.

Patrick writes:
Of course he should not only consider her, he should pick her as his running mate. If I was in a fight, I would want her on my side.

Sven writes:
As a Republican, I can only hope he does.

Filed under: 2008 Election • Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton
  1. Bruce in OR

No! The VP should be a choice "of choice" not a choice of political necessity. There was way too much damage done in the primary for that boat to float!!

That would be like McCain and Romney kissing and making up for the general election.......

August 4, 2008 at 1:58 pm |
  2. Jim in BC

Only as a last resort. He should delay his VP decision as long as it is politically expedient to do so.

But after listening to the most recent interview with Bill over the week end, I am not convinced that THEY have given up on the idea of Hillary winning the nomination.

August 4, 2008 at 1:59 pm |
  3. Rex in Portland, Ore.

August 4, 2008 at 2:00 pm |
  4. Mark - Asheville, NC

It would not do anything to stop or stem the attack ads that will drown his candidacy after Denver. Nothing can do that, so why should she want to go down with that ship? Obama has enough baggage to fill the hold of the Titanic, if I might extend that metaphor.

The historical truth is, that he or any Dem needs to be 20 or more points ahead by this point in the Summer to have any chance of prevailing against the Republican onslaught – the fact that they are TIED right now tells the Clintons everything they need to know: stay away, it's a losing campaign.

August 4, 2008 at 2:00 pm |
  5. Fred

Probably not, she has too much baggage and certainly wouldn't seem to go along with his message of change. I kind of hope he does because I think it could hurt his chances of being elected.

August 4, 2008 at 2:00 pm |
  6. Pablo in Arlington Texas

Jack
    I do not think Senator Clinton, or for that matter any Senator, would be the best pick for the second chair. It would lesse3n the cahnce of gaining a filibuster proof majority in the Senate, which altho9ugh a long shot is still possible. Instead, the Veep spot should go to a governor with some foreign policy heft. My preferrred choice would be Governor Bill Richardson of New Mexico.

Pablo in Arlington, texas

August 4, 2008 at 2:00 pm |
  7. Ron- San Diego

Hi Jack:

NO!!! She is too much of a Wild Card. He should consider Sen. Robert Kennedy Jr.

Ron San Diego

August 4, 2008 at 2:02 pm |
  8. Willow, Sheldon Iowa

That's a tough one. On one hand, about 56% of Democrats said that she was untrustworthy. On the other hand, she has 16 million voters that want her on the ticket. I guess Obama is the only one to decide that one. I gues my opinion would be, if they can come to an agreement that she does certain things, ie. health care. And keeps her husband out of the way, and she stands beside Obama without losing trust, it would be a good idea for both to be on the ticket.

If she can't back him up, or she tries to hurt him as POTUS, then he needs to get someone else. they need to sit down and discuss their loyalties, and get all of their problems ironed out. I think it would be the Dream team ticket. but I guess only Obama can decide.

August 4, 2008 at 2:02 pm |
  9. Jackie in Dallas

Yes and no. She is more divisive, and less likely to get the moderate voters, which is where Obama should be aiming in his choice for VP. Yes because that might bring back some of the PUMAs who are making such a stink, although I'm not sure he should want them back. And after the very hard-fought primaries, I don't think that they could ever have the type of trust relationship that they should have.

August 4, 2008 at 2:06 pm |
  10. Mark, Oklahoma City

If Obama really wants to win this election he would be a fool, NOT to ask Hillary to run with him.....unfortunately, when the two of them get together, Bill Clinton's massive EGO overshadows both of them, and that's the deal breaker!

Mark
    OKC

August 4, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  11. Chris, Southern California

No. Unifying the party is one thing but that would equal a White House moving in two separate directions.

August 4, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  12. Peter Fairview, Texas

No. Not if he is serious about winning this election.
    If Obama picked Hillary Clinton as a running mate he would also be taking on board all of Hillary and Bill Clinton's baggage to drag around behind him.
    Obama has a campaign slogan of "Change". With either Clinton in tow that would change nothing.
    Obama would have to change his slogan to read, " Back to the Future".

August 4, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  13. Peter M

Nope. She will be a distraction. She can lead the fight for universal healthcare in the Senate.

August 4, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  14. Kirven Dunham

I am torn on this issue. If she would have been more respectful to Obama during the primaries than I say go for it. The worst was after the election when her crybabies’ supporters kept bad mouthing Obama and trying to blackmail him to pick Clinton as his VP. That said, if it helps him win the White House than YES.

August 4, 2008 at 2:09 pm |
  15. David, Orlando, FL

If this was a sane world I would say no. But considering that the Republican swift boat with rove at the helm is running full steam to crush Obama, and Obama’s recent stumbles, he is going to need a vicious fighter on his side instead of against him. At least that way he will get the Billary vote.

August 4, 2008 at 2:09 pm |
  16. Henry

Yes, Althought I am not a Clinton fan I beleive that a Obama, Clinton ticket would bury Mcain and may even help in the House and Senate races.

August 4, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  17. Roy Grimm

I think Obama should pick John Edward as a VP . He is young and both haven't been corupted yet from being in government for 50 years like the rest of the senate and congress.

Thanks

Roy Grimm

August 4, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  18. Spence in Zap, ND

Are you kidding Jack? The only reason Barack Obama should seriously consider Hillary for V.P. is if he wants to win the election. Otherwise, he should choose somebody like Joe Biden so that, when he loses the Presidential election in November, he'll have a good buddy to hang out with in the Senate. Birds of a feather should not necessarily stick together.

August 4, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  19. Ron Mechanicsville, VA

If he doesn't, the 50% that supported her may not Vote! It may be the only way he can win because she adds legitimacy and experience to the team!

August 4, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  20. Jenna Wade

Should Barack Obama be seriously considering Hillary Clinton for V.P.?

Heck NO!

Clinton is a status quo senator – Obama is for CHNAGE!

Obama should look outside the beltway for his runningmate!

I'm available.

I am a white woman, mother, grandmother, I have 5 degrees, I've worked in the workplace for over 20 years, I'm Texan living in California and I am unemployed. I'm also a moderate Democrat.

Have Obama give me a call!

Jenna Wade
    Roseville CA

August 4, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  21. circy in New Mexico

That would be the worst mistake his campaign could make. Remember, on the night that Obama cinched the nomination, which was a historic occasion? Clinton was talking about herself to her fans ("What does Hillary Clinton want?"). There are Clinton supporters who say they won't vote for Obama. By the same token, there are many Obama supporters who don't want her on the ticket. And, by the way, where is she? She hasn't been campaigning for him except for a few lackluster comments she made. He doesn't need her.

August 4, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  22. Barack supporter from Canada

I feel Obama is being pressured by the Clintons for this to happen. I do not feel she is right for the job as she will overshadow and want to control the show and there is the Bill "issue". They have been pouting since the primaries have ended.
    I still don't trust her..and won't until the convention is over. She still has a ton of delegates she is hanging onto and may topple the whole shebang at the convention. Her greed for power is so huge and her need to control to large.So no Jack I hope not.. Happy 47th Barack Obama!!!

August 4, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  23. sarah, indiana

he should but hillary should ignore the infant's pleas for help and let him crash and burn all alone. hillary should not ruin her political future by getting involved in this disaster.

August 4, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  24. Richard - A Former Republican

Jack – Obama has enough small problems without adding another major one -

August 4, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  25. Ryan in Champaign, IL

Um, no. Based on her public support since the end of the primaries, she hasn't even shown up for the position interview.

August 4, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  26. Dave Rabadan

Sure, if he wants to lose the election.

The Democrats need to select the person for V.P. who best complements Obama and has solid international experience. Executive experience – as a governor – would also shore up an area where Obama needs managerial support.

Dave
    Annandale, VA

August 4, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  27. leevaughn brown

Hey Jack
    Sadly, Yes he should the stakes are high and McCain's attack machine is making headway, Clinton has alot of support at the ready, it would be hard to swallow for some of us, but a McCain admin would be harder to swallow. If Obama did pick her I would bite the bullit and still vote for him. Hey 18 million votes are 18 million votes and I signed on with the Obama campaign, I will vote for Obama no matter who he chooses to run with.
    Cinti, Ohio

August 4, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  28. Emma, San Jose, CA

Yes, he should consider her. I think she could help the ticket. Also, McCain talks about how wonderful Hillary and her supporters are. I think that would be very telling about Democratic unity.

August 4, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  29. Derick, Greenlawn NY

Senator Clinton is most valuable to Obama as an attack dog, much the way Mitt Romney is relishing the role for McCain. It's a bit of a waste for such a talented politician, but that's the way she can be most helpful to the Democratic Party in November, not by being on the ticket.

August 4, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  30. RENEA,PLYMOUTH,MI

NO! Make that hell no! The Clintons gave Mccain the playbook he is using now.

August 4, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  31. kenneth sibbett

Not on your life Jack. With hillary and Bill back in the White House , Obama would be looking over his shoulder to see which one would put the knife in his back.

Kenneth Chadbourn N.C.

August 4, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  32. Rebecca

Jenna Wade? If you have 5 degrees why can't you spell CHANGE correctly?

August 4, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  33. Beth from Kansas

I don't believe he needs to. There isn't anything special Clinton can bring to the table. Anything she can bring, someone else can do it better. She's neither compliments nor completes his candidacy, she just brings melodrama.

August 4, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  34. Jan/AR

He needs to pick a governor, a Virginia governor to be specific.

August 4, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  35. clarence jonesville

This is a decision Sen Obama has to make.Considering all the things that was said during the primary it probably would be a bad decisions,he cant always look over his shoulder to keep tab on the Clintons,they want that position to bad.He could consider her in another position thats more suitable for a female.The president and VP should only be filled for men.

August 4, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  36. Hillary is Irrelevant

AT 1st I was all for it. Then the sore loser crowd came out (PUMAs and other losers) and started to act like babies.
    Now Bill and Hill are just not doing anything but loitering around looking for a debt repayment handout while they feign interest in his campaign.

The Clinton's dont have the party anymore and they arent happy. The queen didnt make it to the throne, so now they want to throw Obama under the bus,
    Screw them. No Hillary for VP.. Get the venomous wench out of politics along with Lanny Davis and the other crying wimps who found their new role in life to be 'victims'

August 4, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  37. john ... marlton, nj

Yes, Clinton should be considered and selected. People are tired of politicians winning by the slimmest of margins and then preaching about a mandate before them like they won by a landslide.

August 4, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  38. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

Yes. Yes. Yes. I was not a Hillary supporter but I think she could help make sure the Democrats win and that is of utmost importance right now. We can't afford four more years of Bush economics and foreign policy and we can't mae any of what Obama stands for happen if he doesn't win. I do think she would bring a lot to the office and between the two of them we'll get things done.

August 4, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  39. Matt - Minnesota

Jack,

Why not? The number of people who just don't like her are through the roof. The republicans would work twice as hard to snuff out thier campaign, and they would win. And the dem's would be left scratching their head wondering how they managed to screw up yet another election. I say go for it, but then again I'm voting for McCain. Party unity can only go so far. If they want to win, they need an experienced male poltician who isn't part of a body with a 9% approval rating. But then again, they may shock everyone and go with some junior senator with little or no experience. It'd be a wonderful compliment to Obama.

Matt
    Minneapolis, MN

August 4, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  40. Mike Smith, New Orleans LA

Obama cannot offer Hillary Clinton the Vice Presidential spot if he wants to continue his campaign for change. We've had 20 years of Bushes and Clintons in the White House. With over 300 million people in the United States, I think we can shop outside these two political dynasties for a CHANGE.

August 4, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  41. Stacy from Beautiful Loudoun County Virginia

Jack, Senator Clinton should not be considered for vice president. It is hard to talk about change and have someone who is intrinsically establishment on your ticket. This election is about keeping the status quo (McCain) or a complete fresh start (Obama). If Senator Clinton really wants to help, she can be an agent of change in the U.S. Senate.

August 4, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  42. Don Wagontown, Pa

I think it would be a good idea. The polls may not show it but when a woman or a African American goes into that voting both there going to punch that ticket for themselves. this is a historical campaign to have both an African American and a women on the same ticket would show real change.

Don in Pa

August 4, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  43. Carla

YES YES YES.

If he wants to win in Nov.

She had 18 million votes in the primaries. That should count for something.

Better odds than anyone else considered.

OBAMA/CLINTON 2008

August 4, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  44. Brian Los Angeles Ca.

Yeah, it will put McCain in office!

August 4, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  45. Joe

Bump Obama !!!!! I think McCain should seriously ask Hillary to be his VP. I believe they would make a great team !!!!! Where is the Obama who shouted " I can't wait to debate John McCain, Anytime, Anywhere" ?

Joe

August 4, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  46. Rick Hendersonville,N.C.

I really can't see that happening. If he is going to win,It shouldn't be because of the V.P. and it won't be. I think we all know how smart this guy really is with no disrespect to Hillary,but she needs to just move on or just get on the boat as a great helper for her Party...

August 4, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  47. Josh in Sylvania, Ohio

No, Because if Obama is serious about change then he shouldn't have her as VP since she represents the status quo and there are people out there who would demonize her and it would be a distraction from what Obama is trying to do. I believe there is a place for her in Obama's administration as Secretary of State or U.N. Ambassor. But not Vice President right at this moment.

August 4, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  48. Mary M.

A month ago, I would have said no way. Now, with the swift boat attacks at full blast, I guess it might not be such a bad idea. Just watch your back, Obama.

August 4, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  49. teddy

Nope, Nada, Never, nix, thumbs down, by no means, on no account, not at all , in no way....... get the picture Jack

August 4, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  50. Paula from Georgia

Yes, all her voters will vote for him. For every woman who didn't vote for her with a Higher Education. I guess you need a man more than we do. I guess we got more faith in what we can do. Has far as the Press Spin job on the Clinton's, name me one thong they did to you personally. The only person, I know that Hates someone like that. will be the guy, who would kill you,if they could.

August 4, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  51. Laura

I have really mixed feelings about it. I'm one of those Obama supporters who wished I did not have to choose between him and Hillary in the primaries, so part of me likes the idea of having both of them on the ticket. And she does have a loyal following, though I question whether the PUMA activists are nearly as numerous as they are loud and committed. But I don't completely trust her, and I am not sure she brings more than she detracts from the ticket.

August 4, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  52. Diane, Barneveld, NY

Consider yes, but that's all.

August 4, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  53. Barry Blumenfeld

Jack,
    NO! Senator Clinton has to much baggage, not to mention Bill.

Barry Long Island NY

August 4, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  54. Darr/Cleveland/Ohio

Are you crazy!!! Why? Speaking of Clinton-where is she?

August 4, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  55. lance

Jack,

One word.....Setup!

Lance
    Michigan

August 4, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  56. Jack Dempsey

Jack From Nice Ca. Why Not? If Sen. Clinton had won and not selected Sen. Obama as her V.P. she would have been called a racist. If She wants the job, He should show a little respect for what the Clintons have done for the Black population of the world. As far as the chances of it costing him the election after seven years of the GOP running the country if he can't win he doesn't deserve the job.

August 4, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  57. Paul in Temperance, MI

Consider, Yes. Young people seemed to be the driving force in getting Obama where he is. There are signs they will lose interest in the election and move on to other things before November. With so much scorn about where the country is now and where it seems to be headed, it's a marvel that the party in the Oval Office has any chance of contending. Then again, maybe it's not only the politicians that aren't telling the truth.

August 4, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  58. Will from San Jose, CA

Absolutely not. Senator Clinton has shown throughout the primary campaign that "team player" is not an award she'll be winning any time soon. The last thing Obama needs to do is excite the lethargic Republican base, who are unenthusiastic about their candidate, by handing them a chance to beat down a Clinton.

August 4, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  59. Danielle, Dallas,TX

Hmmm, I'm not sure it would help him. First of all, people don't usually vote for the VP. Secondly, Obama has lots of independents and republicans (or Obamacans) who strongly dislike the Clintons. So, while he'd gain many of her supporters, he'd lose many of his own. In that case, I don't see the benefit.

August 4, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  60. Joann Alexander

Jack,
    Initially, I thought it would be nice for them to become the Dream Team, but
    When she did not concede until that Saturday, I was disappointed in her actions. I like Hilary but her team spirit did not come through. If it was the other way around I am sure Sen. Obama would have conceded to her that night. There are a lot of possible VP he can select from and he has a great team of people assisting him. And if her supporters want to vote for McCain or not vote they are all sore losers.

Joann Alexander
    Smyrna GA

August 4, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  61. Bob, Sonoma, CA

Jack, let's see. She brought in about 15 million votes. Who else brought in those many votes? At least we know what she is all about and how great would that be to have an African American and a woman on the ticket.

Obama/Clinton 08

August 4, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  62. J. Weidenbach, Germany

No. The Clintons have too much baggage. Senator Clinton had assumed herself to be the shoo-in during the primaries, wasn't gracious and already has booked her campaign website for 2012. Obama has publicly described what qualities he's looking for for his V. P., and Hillary does not fit that description. They're too different, Jack. I don't think Obama will compromise his ideals and there are better, more experienced choices for V. P. for him than Hillary. Hillary supporters can be disappointed as much and long as they want to, Obama has the say right now, not Hillary. Obama will get a better point lead again soon.

August 4, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  63. jim

Only if he wants to be President. Unless he is leading by 12 points in August and considering the "Bradley" factor he will be lucky to squeeze out a win, without Hillary.

August 4, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  64. Michelle, Washington DC

If she will help him win, then YES!!!

August 4, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  65. Toni Boutwell, Myrtle Beach SC

She has the experiance,and the ammunition to fight off the GOP lies, but the idea of two senators on the ticket is off-putting. I would rather see him choose someone like Richardson or even Robert Reich, both of whom have great economical backgrounds, and in Richardson's case a wealth of foreign policy experiance.

August 4, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  66. Bruce -- Huntsville, AL

The whole idea is to win. Hillary could almost guarantee it. Most of her supporters who felt dissed are over it, so naming her now would create great excitement. McCain's camp would never admit it, but after having breathed many sighs of relief thinking that they dodged a dream team bullet, I have a feeling that Hillary would be McCain's worst nightmare.

August 4, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  67. Georgia (Knoxville)

Absolutely Not. I said this before Hilary doesn't listen to anyone and will do exactly what Hilary wants to do. She failed to recognize the fact that she would never catch up with Obama in the polls by creating an outstanding campaign debt which she wants Obama and the DNC to help pay off.

August 4, 2008 at 4:02 pm |
  68. Bob in Boise

They say the best way to get rid of an enemy is to make them your friend. Even though I'm not that excited about having Hillary on the ticket, I think I'd much rather have her on the team on off. With Bill and Hillary in full support of the ticket, I think they will be unbeatable. Without them, who knows. Obama needs to remember that the Clintons are the only ones who have been able to defeat the GOP political machine since Reagan beat Carter, and that was a loooong time ago.

August 4, 2008 at 4:02 pm |
  69. Anne/Seattle

No! He is positive, she negative. He'll create needed changes, she'll work with the ideals of the past. He tries to keep things upbeat and positive while she's a mud slinger like McCain. He's an honest and forthright man, she tells tales and exaggerates. While he has great self-value and respect, she has a huge ego. He expects to take care of himself, she'd like him to take care of her debts. Their contrasts in personality and methods of action would prevent good teamwork and successes. He won't have enough time to keep her in hand and be President at the same time.

August 4, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  70. Pete, Fla.

Before he considers picking her, he and everyone else should find out if she even wants to be VP. She hasn't said anything, so why do we keep thinking this. I think her and her family have had enough bashing from the media.

August 4, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  71. Linda Richards

I'm sure he is considering it and I'm sure his campaign is undertaking polls that involve a woman on the ticket. It is unfair for us; actually, mainly you–the media, to try to push him into a Obama/Clinton ticket. It has benefits but some serious downsides as well. I think of her as VP of last resort. Linda in Woodbury, NJ

August 4, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  72. Sandra fromTexas

Might as well. I was hoping he was a different kind of politician, but apparently not so. Therefore, since I am still going to vote for him because he is the lesser of two evils, I really don't care one way or the other anymore.

August 4, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  73. Democrat No More/San Diego

Clinton in the #2 spot is the only way Obama will win the white house. Clinton knows how to get things done. Obama knows how to talk about getting things done. What a great combination.

August 4, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  74. David from Newport OR

This election will come down to 3 states, Ohio, Michigan and Virginia. Explain to me how adding Hillary will help Obama win these 3 states? Obama must win these 3 states. If McCain wins one of them, he will become president. It is simple. It isn't fair. But that is how it is. He needs to have a VP that will help persuade the undecided in these states to seriously consider Obama. Hillary and McCain are chips off the same block.

August 4, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  75. TrueBlue

Obama should pick Clinton ONLY if he wants to win.
    Clinton, on the otherhand should decline and stay away from the USS O-Titanic.

3rd party 08 !!
    Clinton 2012 !!

76. Tammy

How funny is that. As I was watching CNN, and your question of the day came on, I was in the middle of emailing Obama's website, I was telling him how bad I missed Hillary. The excitement is just not there anymore, he needs her back, and he needs her back quick.

77. Janice Pound

Hell-NO! That would be the worse decision he could make . We need change I prsonally reccomend Sen. Dodd. He seems to be on the same page as Obama.. It's sad but true, the Clintons are no longer involved in , hopefully, our new gov't.. I presume Hillary is still in congress helping to stop Bush from committing any more catrastrophes.If Obama is as smart & intelligent as I think he is, he won't allow himself to cater to, or be blackmailed into a V.P, selection

78. Barbara

I think Obama should choose Hillary Clinton. I think that McCain, with any vice president, would be scary to the point of nightmares!

The smear campaign that McCain is running against Obama reminds me of the kind of tactics used in the campaign when John F. Kennedy. Then the issue was Catholicism! McCain's tactics are as baseless as those were against Kennedy.

79. Rick

No way. I would not even think of voting for Obama if Clinton was on the ticket.

80. Josh

Hillary Clinton has 18+ Millions supporters. And were angry supporters. Don't make us more mad than we already are. Plus, Bill and Hillary Clinton has been quite...that's real dangerous.

81. Bob

Thanks Jack... I needed a GOOD laugh today!

82. Paul Pfau

Obama & Clinton are better together!

83. Ignacio B. Peña

I will not vote in this election if Hillary Clinton if she is not on the ticket.

Los Angeles, CA

84. Brian Alhandy

Jack,
    Do you think he's not?

85. Ken Hanzlik

Of course Obama should add Clinton it only makes sense if he wants additional votes. He is inexperienced and has a weak record and needs someone to help balance that out and she is the one. NO Clinton on the ticket no vote from me for Obama. I would rather stay home and not vote or vote for McCain.

86. Charles Claxton

Jack, only two works...'DREAM TEAM'.

87. todd

he's not getting my vote without her.

August 4, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  88. Mel Atlanta,Ga

At this junction, he has no option if he wants to be our next president.

August 4, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  89. Ken, Millington Mi

Hello jack. Well i think that its very possible that he might have to reconsider what role Sen Clinton will play ,However i think its to early to panic yet. i believe that Sen Mc Cain is not as strong as the media is making him out to be. Sen Clinton was amuch more formidable opponet then McCain is and i believe the Democrats will have some explosive bombs to drop on McCain soon. After all are americans so shallow and ignorant that they can't see past the republicans agenda.

August 4, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  90. Chris

If Obama wants to be certain that he is elected the next president then, by all means, put Hillary on the ticket. It will assure victory. However, I do not see Hillary Clinton as the quite VP type. "Careful what you wish for..."

August 4, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  91. Ross from Columbus, OH.

Clearly Obama must win Ohio, Michigan, and Ohio in this election. Adding Clinton would increase the odds of Obama caring these states as the Clintons are well liked in these battleground states. If he is smart, he will add Hillary to the ticket.

Ross,
    Columbus, OH.

August 4, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  92. Harvey Miller

There is no way that Obama should pick Hillary to be on the ticket. Why would he want a female Joe Lieberman to get her nose under the tent.? Just wait for her to show up in some McCain ads if he should fall for the advice from Clinton lap dogs.

August 4, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  93. Patricia Zach

I would love to see this dream ticket team . I have always from the beginning thought that they together would make America better and safer and give the U.S. a health care system to finally take care of everyone.

August 4, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  94. Daniel Covello

I think her credentials and primary vote totals earn her the right to be included on the ticket, and I would be very insulted if he picks another woman. I would then have to write in for Hillary, who I've been dying to vote for since the day Kerry blew it.

August 4, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  95. panache

Absolutely not. This is one 76 year old Obama supporter, who will sit it out if Clinton is on the November ballot.

August 4, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  96. pius

yes, if he dosen`t, he will lose. This is a choice of most democrats not the choice of the elites.

August 4, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  97. Zachary Lancet

The polls are nearly tied when it comes to registered voters. Obama has to choose Hillary Clinton and forget about his pride. Hillary can sure up the woman's vote, Ohio, and help in other key states. Obama's needs a running mate with experience. The plan to win Colorado, and other traditional red states is questionable. Choosing Hillary would all, but guarantee a Presidency for Obama.

August 4, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  98. Tammy

Only if he want's to lose!!!!

Huntsville, Alabama

August 4, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  99. Drew

We could save some money, And send both of them back!

August 4, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  100. veta

Hillary on Obama's ticket will creat a landslide victory for the democrats. What a page for the history books.

August 4, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  101. Frits Hoekstra

YES! Obama will lose the election without her, swallow your pride Barack and admit that you need a woman on your ticket to win.

August 4, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  102. Dr. Alan Krohn

Yes, Hillary Clinton would be an excellent running mate and vice president. I think she will do a terrific job of responding to the negative tone of the McCain campaign, and she brings a powerful political base of her own and of her husband.

August 4, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  103. peg mclean

let's hope hillary is too smart to unite with obama. if he doesn't do well the backlash wil be on her.

August 4, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  104. eric

Only if he wants to hire a food taster at the same time.

August 4, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  105. Bryan

When pigs fly! Right now, I am voting for him....if he picks Billary then I will be voting for anybody but them.

August 4, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  106. Sandi Wiggan

If he does not want to end up in the category of 'I ran too', he should hold his nose and take Hilary as his beloved Veep.

August 4, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  107. Pati in FL

No Hillary = No vote by me!

August 4, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  108. Missy

As a Clinton supporter, I will vote McCain/Romney if Obama does not choose Clinton as a running mate. I feel he does not have the experience I would like to see in the white house at this time. YES, YES, YES. I hope he seriously takes a hard look at his real chance without her.

August 4, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  109. Mike

The question is, do you or don't you want to win? Forget whether you like or dislike Hillary. It's hard to change the direction of the nation when you lose to John McCain in a clearly win-able election.

If he chooses Hillary, they will win. If he chooses someone else, he's rolling the dice and will probably lose.

August 4, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  110. Jeff, West Palm Beach, Florida

Jack...
    Let me be honest with you. I am an African-American and I voted for Hillary in the primary. If Obama can not work with Hillary as her VP, how would he compromise with republicans across the isle? Finally, I will not vote at all if Hillary is not on the ticket.

August 4, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  111. Sven

As a republican, I can only hope he does.

August 4, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  112. Jerry Ibrone - Atlanta

Yes. And Duncan should have annointed Macbeth heir to the throne.

Macbeth and his wife would have behaved so much better if only Duncan had shown them a little love.

August 4, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  113. DJ, Detroit

Barack and Billary...the three-headed Republican machine-destroying monster...I THINK I LIKE!

DJ – Detroit

August 4, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  114. Diane S.

If Obama wants to beat McCain, Hillary Clinton is his ONLY Vice Presidential choice. Just think about it - any other choice won't do the job!!!

August 4, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  115. G.S. Spell

No, no, no, a thousand times no. Bill Richardson is the clear choice.

116. Tel, Arlington, VA

No. Clinton wins him Arkansas at the possible cost of Pennsylvania and Ohio. It's not worth it. If Obama wants to extend an olive branch to feminists, he can pick Kathleen Sebelius; she has none of the baggage.

117. Colin from Portland

After that knock down drag out primary, I don't think the wounds have healed enough for Obama to add Clinton to the ticket. You simply can't have two alphas in the same room. In the beginning, I was actually hoping that it would be a Clinton/Obama ticket, but with the way that things have shaken out, we have to deal with reality. Anybody who thinks Clinton would be okay with being second in command is flat out crazy.

118. Keith Kron

The only "old" name that I think would help Barack Obama is Al Gore. Hilary would be a better choice if both she and Barack wouldn't have to spend so much time worrying about finding something practical for Bill to do. She's an excellent senator. And perhaps would make a terrific cabinet member.

But Obama represents change. And that's what the country says it needs right now.

119. Eric Turner

Obama should absolutely pick Hillary. I've been a Hillary supporter since the beginning of the primary season but I've warmed up to Obama a little bit now that he's my only choice. I think Hillary as VP would help with Obama's slim resume.

120. Leah Hill

Obama should have picked Hillary Clinton for V.P. when she withdrew from the race. That would have been the decent thing to do. Its to late now!! Nine points difference will elect John McCain in November. Clinton people, many of us, do not want Hillary hooked up to a presidental ticket that will not win!!
    Remember Al Gore, John Kerry? Where are they now? Democrats have little regard for losers. They forget very quickly.

121. Michelle

As a woman and a Democrat, I would like to see Hillary on the ticket. She has the ability and drive to get the job done, not to mention her name carries the "political collateral" the executive office is in so deperate need of since Bush has killed our reputation around the globe. But at this point, Obama can add a trained chimp as his running mate and he will still get my vote. There is no way in this world that I would vote another Republican into office!!

Michelle
    Raleigh, NC

122. Eddie

I know too many people who love Ms Clinton and are still undecided about him. If he wants to Indiana, Virginia or Florida, pick a govenor or senator from those states. If he wants to win the country, pick Hillary!

123. Emma Carter Brooks

Jack,

I truly believe that Senator Obama cannot win without Senator Clinton as his VP. And if they are truly united, then what's the problem with putting her on the ticket? Maybe former President Clinton has to many deals he would have to expose that are not good.

What a mess! You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Birmingham, Alabama

124. Ed

The only way the democrats will win this election is if Hillary is the candidate. Her support of middle class values is what makes her the best candidate. The Clintons place corporations in check, while giving the average citizen more benefits.

I would not like to see Hillary taint herself with the cheats and opportunists that obama and his corporate criminal friends have proven themselves to be.

Obama, the racist, was a liar and divisive from the beginning, while claiming to be a uniter. Young people are turning away from him, now that the truth of his words and actions are not hidden anymore by the american corporate media.

125. Kris from SC

I've been saying Obama is all talk this whole time and that he'll do everything he can to become the next President. I predicted at the start he would pick Hillary. I am not for either candidate at this point... its more of a nice soap opera really. But if he does pick her, then all we'll get is just another political hypocrite who will be in office.

126. David

I would say no because Bill Clinton might bring unwanted trouble and publicity to the White House. For those who say if Hillary's not picked for VP they will vote for John McCain, I would suggest that they vote for a third party candidate.
    Doniphan, MO

127. Liz Lyons

Yes, Jack, this is what the women voters of this country have been telling you for over a year. Women see the treatment of Hillary Clinton as sexism, not just from the Republican party but from opinioniated "newsmen" like you. We are just as fed up with the double standard you hold and with your treatment of a serious woman candidate as we are with the present administration. I will not vote for McCain if Hillary is not on the ticket. I just won't vote at all.

August 4, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  128. Ryan

I don't think so, for every person whining about Clinton's loss to Obama and saying they wont vote for him, there is someone like me who will not vote for clinton no matter what part of the ticket she takes. I've had enough with family politics, we need new blood in all of the seats that make up our government. With 300 million people in this country I dont understand why our presidents need to be from the same two families for a third decade.

August 4, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  129. Diane

Obama should wake up! He didn't win the majority of votes in the primaries. He won half and Sen. Clinton won half. If she was the presumptive nominee, I would be urging her to choose him as VP. His not choosing her is pure arrogance. None of his supporters will abandon him if he chooses Clinton as running mate because he was their choice, but he has all ready alienated many of Clinton's supporters by not announcing her immediately as running mate. I will certainly not vote for McCain no matter what, but I may not vote at all if Obama doesn't choose Clinton for the VP spot.

August 4, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  130. susannahjones

What makes you think Hillary Clinton would want to be on the ticket with a con man like Barack Obama

August 4, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  131. roberto

Yes. But the bare bones issue is really whether you are earning over $250,000. If you do, McCain is your man and even Hillary Clinton will not make a difference. If you do not, Obama is your man, with or without Hillary Clinton.

August 4, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  132. mouli

Just what are the selection criteria for the VP in each camp? Going by what Bill Richardson had to do with fund-raising for Senator Clinton, it may become politically expedient to consider Senator Clinton for the VP. Didn't Obama change his position on drilling, however nuanced it is.

It is one thing to speak in ideal terms. But I hear a lot of people talking about "winning" and that means at any cost – even if principle can be pledged. On top of it, to justify, the negative attack ads from the McCain camp is cited as reason enough for Obama to respond. After all, it is all about winning.

Politics is the last refuge of scoundrels and they will go to any length. This election will be no different when it comes to bringing about real change.

August 4, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  133. donna sherman

That possibility is obviously still being considered. Why else would Bill Clinton come out with his admission of being wrong? He doesn't believe it, of course, but, like we all said, they will do anything to help themselves, even say they're wrong with their fingers crossed behind their backs.

I think it would be an unhealthy choice for Obama, but it he isn't elected, he can do nothing to change this mess in our nation.

Tough decision!!!!!