May 23rd, 2008

Concerned about McCain’s health?

ALT TEXT

Click the Play Button to see what Jack and our viewers had to say.(PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

John McCain's doctor says there's no medical reason the 71-year-old should not be president. Health records released by his campaign today show he appears to be cancer-free, has a strong heart and is in good health.

McCain's been treated for 5 skin cancers, four of those were melanoma - the deadliest form of skin cancer, and he was a prisoner of war in Vietnam for over five years.

Because he remains at risk for developing new skin cancers, he's checked every few months. Doctors say there's been no recurrence since 2000. McCain's cholesterol levels are a potential concern, and he takes medicine for that... but his blood pressure is good.

McCain has been treated for a range of health issues that are common in older people, like having pre-cancerous skin lesions and benign colon growths removed. He also has degenerative arthritis from his war injuries.

The Arizona senator shrugs off the age issue on the campaign trail by pointing to his stamina and his strong genes. Early in the race, many voters said McCain's age would be an issue. But in one recent poll, 70 percent of those surveyed said his age won't affect their vote.

McCain's likely Democratic rival, Barack Obama, is 46. Neither Obama nor Hillary Clinton has released their medical records, but then again they wouldn't become the oldest person to ever serve a first term as president.

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

H. from Washington writes:
It would give me pause considering that the type of melanoma he had has a 10-year survival rate of 65%. One important thing to consider is that of all cancers, melanoma has a nasty habit of recurring years even decades after the initial diagnosis. Let just hope his doctors are on board the straight talk express and not taking him or us for joy ride.

Harry from Gallatin, Tennessee writes:
I have heard no serious medical questions about McCain's health. Cheney's health was in really serious question before he became vice-president, and he has done all right, getting through two terms. Reagan survived being shot while in office, and he was about as old as McCain is now. So the medical treatment available to those in high office seems to be doing the job.

John from Carlsbad, California writes:
I am concerned, but that isn't the reason I will not vote for him. Yes, his age is a concern but as long as he makes a quality choice for vice president that isn't as big a deal as his politics and his persona. I don't want another hot headed gunslinger in the White House.

Howard from Bolingbrook, Illinois writes:
One question: If McCain is doing so swell, why did it take so long to produce these records? To me, it should have only taken a quick trip to Kinko's. Something smells.

Linda from Virginia writes:
His health is the least of my worries if he is elected.

Posted by
Filed under: 2008 Election • John McCain
  1. A Kraft Naples, FL

you bet.....

May 23, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  2. Joe in DE

His health is th leat of my concerns with McCain. We are indebted to his service but he is out of touch was the average person.

May 23, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  3. Lori in MI

His health is of no concern to me since I would not vote for a Republican this time around even if I loathed Clinton or Obama.

May 23, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  4. Paula in Albuquerque

Obviously. But, why would McCain put himself, and the nation through all of this "campaign" stuff, if he's not physically fit?

May 23, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  5. Nuwan Sam

First of all, I am not voting for him because I disagree with his policies. But I think his health is ok for him to be the president. He has not slowed down because of his age. He seems to have a lot of energy for a person at his age.

Nuwan from Houston, TX

May 23, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  6. Jenny

Jack,
    Senator McCain's health is the least of my concerns egarding him being President.

Jenny Rome GA

May 23, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  7. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

I'm concerned about his health. But I'm also concerned about Obama's health, and whether or not he has quit smoking. I had a cousin in his thirtys that had a heart attack, most likely due to smoking.

I think that all three candidates should release their medical records.

May 23, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  8. Jan Davis, Knoxville, TN

Jack, I wouldn't vote for him under ANY circumstance. Whether his health is good or bad, he represents the past, the Iraq War, and continuance of the Bush agenda. Also, I only vote for Democrats because that is the party that represents the middle and lower classes. The Republican Party is for the rich!

May 23, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  9. Tina (Ft Worth)

No I don't care if his feet could be webbed. I will not vote for him anyhow.

May 23, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  10. Casey - Sebastopol, CA

Yes, Jack, I am concerned about McCain's health. I am concerned about his age and I don't care what he says about his mother - his anger and forgetfulness (to be kind) concern me.

Cranky... that's how he always comes off. Who needs a crankypants as president?

May 23, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  11. frank in phoenix

Am I concerned?

If Dan Quail becomes his VP I won't be able to sleep for 4 years

May 23, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  12. Helen from Mifflin County, PA

Yeah, look how fast Teddy Kennedy's life changed. But It's not just the physical problems that concern me. It's the fact that by the time you are in your 70's there is the assumption that you are wiser from all of life's experiences; and McCain hasn't proven that cliche to be true!

May 23, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  13. Ray,Florida

Of course it play's a role.

But I'll tell you what Jack, and you can back me up on this.
    I'm more worried about an angry old man with his finger on the button!!

May 23, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  14. Tina (Ft Worth)

No. I have my own worries about keeping my family healthy while he is able to afford the best doctors to keep his old behind well. I say let them sit in the county hospital like the rest of the poor folks and let them get gut full waiting 4 hours to 3 days just to see a doctor and lets see how quickly they change health care for all.

May 23, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  15. sarah, Indiana

mccains health is fine and it worries me a whole lot less than obama's complete lack of common sense.

May 23, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  16. Matt Callaway in Omaha, NE

John McCain's health is so far down on the list of reasons to not vote for him that it's not relevant to me. For others this might come into play and make his choice of V.P. even more important.

May 23, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  17. Ron from Colorado

No, McCain's health and age are not major factors with me. By the way, we hear from his released medical reports that he is in good health considering his age and what he has been through.

I will not support McCain because of his position on the U.S. occupation of Iraq and his stated intent to continue the Bush tax cuts. I guess he knows where he can borrow the money from to fund this "lower taxes" program.

May 23, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  18. Richard/Nh

Jack, John McCain is a former navy pilot; so remember, there are OLD PILOTS, and there are BOLD PILOTS, BUT THERE ARE NO OLD BOLD PILOTS.

May 23, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  19. Nicole A from Florida

Hey Jack

It is not McCain's health that concerns me it is his age. His age is the biggest risk factor. I am a physician. Couple his age with his hx of cancer( especially melanoma), and hypercholesterolemia I and it is a perfect brew for a massive ,heartattack, stroke etc....
    Furthermore, I do not like McCain. I have watched his tactis and how he is metamorphasizing ....You know a reptile shedding his skin for a new and improved body armor.
    For sure I will not vote for him.

May 23, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  20. brian

Jack,
    Health would never be an issue with voting for a grumpy old guy. Although, given that McCain's experience comes from a time before personal computers, cell phones and the internet, I may question what relevant experience he actually brings. Maybe he can bring us back to the horse and buggy as a way to solve the energy crisis.

May 23, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  21. Dave from Veazie, ME

Jack,

As a democrat I don't plan on voting for him anyway, but if I were a republican it would definitely depend on who his running mate was. With his age and the fact that he's had some pretty serious health problems in the past, any one voting for McCain has to realize there is a chance he could die while in office. This means that there is a chance that whom ever he picks for a running mate will have to take over. If McCain chooses poorly there may be more reluctance for people to vote for him. That said I just want to say I have the utmost respect for John McCain and the service he done for this country, and hope that he enjoys a very long life, but when it comes to the issues I have to respectfully disagree with him on just about everything.

May 23, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  22. Terry from North Carolina

Jack
    You bet I am its very rare that cancer does not come back. His age is against him, and he is not the most pleasant person I ever saw.

May 23, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  23. Amy Kathleen

His health is not so much an issue for me unless he chooses a truly unacceptable running mate, like Huckabee. When the would be President is already in his 70s, you have the very real possibility of an illness that will give the veep a shot at becoming president than with a younger candidate. In that way I think McCain's health makes his choice of VP more important than that of the Dem. nominee.

May 23, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  24. Bob Turton in Brooklyn NY

Jack,

Senator McCain's health isn't as big an issue as his age. The presumptive Republican canadate will be 72 before the election. This concerns me. If I am not mistaken, the Federal Government cannot have employees beyond the age of 65 working for them, the manditory retirement issue. But, it is apparently okay to have a person over 65 running the whole government. Just makes no sense.

To me the decision on voting for McCain or not will rest totally on his choice for VP. Normally a VP would have little or no effect on my choice for President; but in this case, it will weigh heavily in my decision process.

May 23, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  25. Melek, Corpus Christi, TX

Some of Hillary's "white working class people" who swear they'll vote for McCain if Obama is nominated would say they're more concerned about Obama's skin pigmentation, than McCain's skin cancer.
    Personally, I think he will outlive most of us...unfortunately.

May 23, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  26. mitch martin arkansaw

i wouldn't care if he were on life-support,if he would commit to ending our occupation in iraq,and hold those responsible for it,to account.

May 23, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  27. Deb

I respect McCain for his history of service to the US, but I'm unlikely to vote for him. And it will not be because he's sick or injured or old. It will be because I'm sick of the injuries that that this old-style Republican thinking has done to this country over the last eight years – and that I believe will continue under McCain.

May 23, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  28. Rosalynd Florida

McCain's is no kindly old gentleman but it is not his age that will keep me from voting from him, it is his Bush like policies that will keep him out of the White House.

May 23, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  29. James in Cape Coral, FL

Jack,
    His health is only a small part of why he won't get my vote. His insane ideas to keep things running as usual while maintaining that American's as a whole aren't as smart as one republican are the main reason.

May 23, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  30. Major Michael in Lorton, Virginia

For all that he has been through, I would conclude that any one younger and healthier would have had a difficult time of surviving. There a few heroes left........he just happens to be "one healthier hero." It is not his health that concerns me, but his political positions on improving this nation......he will always be a hero.....but I don't think he will be elected President.

May 23, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  31. Harry Huffman

I have heard no serious medical questions about McCain's health. Cheney' s health was in really serious question before he became vice-president, and he has done all right, getting through two terms. Reagan survived being shot while in office, and he was about as old as McCain is now. So the medical treatment available to those in high office seems to be doing the job. All in all, I see no cause for worry over any candidate's health–at least from natural causes.

Gallatin TN

May 23, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  32. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I wouldn't will my 71 year old father $1 millions dollars if he was in good health. So my answer is no, I wouldn't vote for John McCain knowing he has health concerns.

May 23, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  33. David Alexandria, VA

No. McCain seems to be in fine health mentally and physically. And he comes from a family prone to productive longevity. As we learned from Ted Kennedy's diagnosis, time bombs can be ticking in anyone - Young, old, healthy, frail, whatever. Any of the candidates could be struck down by a physical or metaphorical bus at any time. Better to worry about their polictics and experience. Age may benefit from experience albeit with have a higher statistical risk of physical peril. But, youth has a statictical risk of error through inexperience with no relief from physical peril. Each of us needs to make this call.

May 23, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  34. Hawkeye, Washington DC

Since I don't plan to vote for him anyway, I don't suppose it really matters. But if he were my candidate of choice then yes it would give me pause considering that the type of melanoma he had has a 10 year survival rate of 65 percent. One important thing to consider is that of all cancers melanoma has a nasty habit of recurring years even decades after the initial diagnosis. Let just hope his doctors are on board the straight express and not taking him or us for joy ride.

May 23, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  35. Dee in New York

Concerns about John McCain's health would not prevent me from voting for him if I felt that his VP was competent and capable of running this country. McCain's mother is doing quite well in her nineties, but his father only made it to 70 or so. John McCain's service to our country has taken a toll on him and he has had some health problems, although he seems to be hale and hardy by all the medical reports that I have heard. Nevertheless, I would pay more attention to his running mate's background and credentials than usual, due to the possibility that he might be called into service.

May 23, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  36. Mike S., New Orleans, Louisiana

It is McCain's mental health that concerns me. His temper tantrums are famous, his profane diatribes well documented, and the fact that he is totally delusional about the state of our country is downright scary.

May 23, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  37. Linda in Virginia

His health is the least of my worries if he is electied.

May 23, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  38. Jon Ross

I'm 68 and I don't want to even consider the possibility of having a president (McCain) that will croak in office. His running mate becomes of extreme importance. The American electorate should not be subjected to this possibility. I do not want a VP that could possibly emulate the likes of the worst VP in American history, Dick Cheney.

May 23, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  39. Adam Mercer Oshawa, Ontario

Jack,

That depends on who his choice for VP is.

May 23, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  40. Scott - Wichita, Kansas

No. My grandfather was still working construction up until they forced him to retire at age eighty.

May 23, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  41. Raj, Toronto

Well I don't hope the guy any ill wishes, Jack. But its not like he will become the next president. Don't worry Jack, Obama's health care plan will take care of him and his family's for future generations to come. But do remember Jack, it's not like he needs the plan since his wife it worst one tenth of a billion dollars. How's that for elitism?

May 23, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  42. Gigi in Alabama

I worry less about his health than I do about his opinions about two wars and the economy. I find it hard to call him a senile old man when he's just one year older than me.

May 23, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  43. Chuck in Eugene Oregon

Jack,

I was never concerned about his health or his age. It is his politics that bother me. I just do not like where he is coming from or the direction he wants to take.

May 23, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  44. Tom in Desoto Texas

His health would not prevent me from voting for him, he policies would.

May 23, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  45. Jason, Brooklyn

Of course, I'm concerned about Senator McCain's health. He's an American hero and fine public servant. I hope he lives a long and healthy life.

But Jack, I'm more concerned about the health of the American people. However, all Americans should have access to the same quality of health care that Senator McCain and other members of Congress have. And for that reason, I won't be voting for Senator McCain in November regardless of how physically healthy he is.

May 23, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  46. Morad

No McCain's health won't be a factor. I won't vote for McCain because McCain has admitted on several occasions that he knows little about the economy. Secondly, McCain has too many lobbyists on his campaign. For example, McCain's chief adviser, lobbyist Charles R. Black Jr, has worked for people who undermine democracy such as Mobutu of Zaire, Ferdinand Marcos of the Philippines and Jonas Savimbi of Angola.

May 23, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  47. Tom, Avon, Maine, The Heart of Democracy

Physical health, no, but yesterday's over-reaction to Senator Obama's question makes me say, mental health, yes. A little stability is essential.

Republican Senator Bob Smith, warned, "His temper would place this country at risk in international affairs, and the world perhaps in danger. In my mind, it should disqualify him."

May 23, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  48. Billy G in Las Vegas

it's not his physical health I'm worried about. I'm more worried about someone with his temper having their finger on the nuclear trigger.

May 23, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  49. Terry in Fayetteville, NC

McCain has already demonstrated that he is not mentally nor physically up to the taskl. Lettuce pickers don't make $50 an hour and there is no comparison with strolling the streets of Baghadad and Detroit in safety. Just one goof like that on a global scale and we can all kiss our assets goodby. The support he has is emotional or from self-serving special interests that know he is just as easy to manipulate as was George Dubya.

May 23, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  50. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

Jack, it's not his physical health that will prevent me from voting for him, it's his mental health. A person who wants to keep killing people in Iraq in the name of democracy, make permanent the tax cuts for the rich and play the games with the big corporations to give them more tax cuts to move jobs overseas, and puts diplomacy on the back burner just like Bush can't be too stable upstairs.

May 23, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  51. Marc

I'm not sure if it's health related but the tone in his speech has to be alienating to other countries. I want America to be liked again.

I would like to know what the odds are of Senator McCain having another case of skin cancer within the next 5 years. Perhaps, a good question for Dr. Gupta.

May 23, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  52. Harry

Why should I worry about McCain's health. He has great health insurance and doctor's standing by.

I, on the other hand, don't have that privileged type of insurance, so when I don't vote for McCain, it won't be because I am worried about his health, but rather it would be mine.

Harry
    Ky.

May 23, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  53. JD in CA

In the unlikely and disappointing scenario that John McCain should become president his health is the least of my concerns. We have war, poverty and food shortages all on the horizon and I don't trust John McCain to address let alone begin to solve those problems. And then there's those potential VP candidates he's having over this weekend: Mitt Romney who dropped out of race because if he didn't, the terrorists win and Bobby Jindal who has so little political experience he makes Barack Obama look like FDR.

May 23, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  54. Nora Corpus Christi Texas

He is just a cranky old man, and his ideas and his vision for the future of the United States is what should keep him out of office. You never know what is going to happen to you healthwise in the future, but if you are 72 already that decline in health would be a lot faster then for someone who is lets say 45-50.

May 23, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  55. Marie Ontario

I would be more concerned about his sanity then his physical health. Wait until the one on one race begins and he'll be torn to shreds on almost every issue. Basically all he can fall back on is the fact he surrendered and spent 5 years in a prison of war camp with everything else he says or does open to ridicule. To put it simply he is a war monger with one eye on Iraq and the other on Iran.

May 23, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  56. Josh

No, I wouldn't vote McCain even if he was the last electable candidate on Earth. McCain represents what has gotten us into the present mess we are in by aligning himself with the village idiot from Crawford Texas. Jack, This country needs fresh young blood running it. We are hungry for change and to close the chapter on the criminal Bush regime. The last thing we as a country is another four years of continuing the failed policies of a lame duck president who is also an war criminal.

May 23, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  57. Bill in New London, CT

Health is the least of my concerns with John McCain. Here's a guy who has the NERVE to call Barack Obama's stance on Iran "reckless" while he's busy running around stage singing "bomb, bomb, bomb - bomb, bomb Iran!" I don't have a problem with an aging American having his "finger on the button," but when the phone rings at 3 AM, do I reallly want another guy who thinks diplomacy begins and ends with bombs and invasions? No thanks.

May 23, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  58. Mark, Berwyn, PA

depends on who his VP is.......

May 23, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  59. Aaron B.; Champaign, IL

Right on, McCain's a tough old bean, that he is...

May 23, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  60. Dave in Astoria

He's an old,out of touch fart that wouldn't get the finger sign from me. Whether he's a healthy old fart or a sick one is academic.

May 23, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  61. Stephanie from Atlanta

It's actually my concerns about McCain's national policies that will prevent me from voting for him.

May 23, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  62. BOB, VA

The medical evaluation should be done by an independant, NON-PARTISAN physician.

May 23, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  63. George

I don't have any problem with John McCain at all, but the policy that he is saying he is running on will not get my vote. Too much like George Bush to suit me. Now George Bush is another story. He hasn't done anything to make me like him, he is not any kind of a hero to me, and doesn't care one iota about every day working people. Good riddance !!

May 23, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  64. Mark, Oklahoma City

Jack, why should anyone be concerned about any presidential candidates health? When was the last time you even heard of a President having a cold or fever? Think about it, Our Presidents are NEVER sick. Never is there a news account of the President staying home in bed and cancelling his appointments for the day because of the flu or a virus! Once they get into office they seem to become illness-proof, or is that just one more thing they hide from us?

May 23, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  65. Antonia in Bristol Virginia

Courage, character, sound judgment, a sense of humor, intellectual curiosity, the gift of being able to cooperate with leaders across the world, or across the aisle, the ability to synthesize complex issues in emotional situations and make the right decisions while the world literally holds its breath are what I looked for when I decided which candidate to support.

Although John McCain's age may have given me pause if all else was equal, in this election, his age is the least of his problems. Sadly, Senator McCain has fallen into lock step with the Bush administration that has failed the rest of us. It is this poor decision that removed him from the list of candidates I would consider.

May 23, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  66. don in naples, florida

Mccain is a typical old school republican politician– Use ideology as a facade to pass of an elitest agenda. I see a great deal of irony in the fact that he tries to call obama elitest. I find mccain's wishy washy positions and the fact that he is so careful when he speaks amusing. Unlike W. who just speak off the cuff, Mccain always seems guarded. He is rather predictable when giving speeches, he just says what most of us want to hear. So as to your question, age is of no concern to me. His deceitful nature is what concerns me the most.

May 23, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  67. Esther Cuyahoga Falls Ohio

At his age and with his mental, physical health standings already he is a risk for more to come. Look at Reagan in the white house and after how just when it was safe for them to announce to the media and the public he had alzheimers. Alzheimers just doesn't suddenly come on. please let us not be stupid again and let someone who is in the risk factor back in the white house. I do not care how healthy his mother looks like in the light of day cause alzheimers strikes in the evening more than the daylight in the begining. and the disease is easy for some to conceal. trust me i see it more than just once.

May 23, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  68. Staci from Nashville, Tn

Jack it wasn't a concern for me any way, I'm a Democrat, but if I wasn't I wouldn't vote for grandpa no way. I can't afford it.

May 23, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  69. Mike, Dillingham Alaska

Yes, McCain's personal health is an issue and it will reach critical mass the moment he announces his running mate! Now that he is losing his endorsements from televangelist bigots he might "re-pander" to right-wing religious zealots by choosing Huckabee or Romney. Or, as fast as his pet lobbyists are reluctantly resigning from his campaign committee, McCain might have to choose one of America's multi-billionaires who already has his huge slice of the pie and doesn't need lobbyists to get another serving. Regardless, McCain will not get my vote, nor will any other Republican.

May 23, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  70. Jayne in NH

McCain's age is the least of my worries about him, but it's something to consider. Remember the confusion he showed over the Iraqi factions and how Joe Lieberman found it necessary to whisper the correct answers in his ear? It reminded of me of Nancy Reagan giving cues to the late president prior to his diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease. I'd feel more comfortable with a younger person in the Oval Office.

May 23, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  71. Linda in Mass

Jack, quite frankly I don't give a hoot about his health.
    But here's my question to you: would you consider being Obama's V.P.? PLEASE!

May 23, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  72. vic

Jack, In his recent trip to middle east, he couldn't remember or make distinction between sheais and sunis. This is a basic and fundamental knowledge that any president or senator should have, because most it not all "al qaeda" operatives are sheais. I bet you the Prime ministers or presidents of any other country in the world can make that distintion. Thus congnitive functioning is very important in the job that he's seeking.

May 23, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  73. Peter Pan Fairview, Texas

No. Anything beats the alternative. One foot in the grave and another one on a banana peel McCain is the best shot we have given the hand we are dealt.

May 23, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  74. David,San Bernardino,CA.

McCain's age is important. I am only 57,but I have health issues that require that I take 8 pills every day. (diabetes,high blood pressure,high cholesterol,etc.) As a person ages their bodies slow down and they get sick,it's just a fact of life. Even though you see people work in high-pressure jobs in their 70's and 80's,they make decisions that make you question their judgement and faculties. President is not something to take lightly,it is serious business.

May 23, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  75. Jim

i won't vote for McBush if he was 46.

May 23, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  76. Julie from LA

Most people have to retire at 65. I really don't think that we want to hire someone who's already 72 for the most mentally demanding job in the world–and one of the most stressful.

McCain has blood pressure and cholesterol problems that often lead to heart disease in septagenarians. He's had not one, not two, but three bouts with the often fatal skin cancer, melanoma.

I don't want a 75 year old in failing health and a bad temper answering that emergency call at 3 a.m. McCain's health concerns–combined with his age–definitely will influence me not to vote for him in November..

May 23, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  77. Richard Sternagel

Yes McCain's health would prevent me from voting for him! I'd be afraid he'd die in office. Then who would we have in office!

May 23, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  78. james hoffman, Prescott, MI

PREVENT ME FROM VOTING FOR HIM? Are you nuts, Jack! I do not want another 4 years of GW! I would vote for my dog first!

Jim. Michigan

May 23, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  79. Len of Colfax, Wisconsin

No! The only way I could be tempted to vote for Sen. McCain, regardless of any health or age issues, is if Sen. Clinton somehow stole the Democratic nomination.

May 23, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  80. Chris from NY

Jack,
    Just his mental status. Old age negatively affects people's mental status and inturn can affect someone's judgment. America has never wanted more at this time than someone with a sharp mind. Frankly I don't think John McCain's mind is that sharp.

May 23, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  81. John Portelli

No. If John McCain passed away in October, I'd still vote for him
    over Obama...unless Hillary gets the nomination.

John Portelli
    Alabny, NY

May 23, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  82. John from Carlsbad

I am concerned but that isn't the reason I will not vote for him. Yes his age is a concern but as long as he makes a quality choice for vice president that isn't as big a deal as his politics and his persona. I don't want another hot headed gunslinger in the white house.

May 23, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  83. Cynthia

Let's try it this way. At what age and is there some kind of test to check for symptoms of as my granny calls it "old timers" disease.

May 23, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  84. Thelma Jones, Oregon

Jack, I am not a Republican and so I would not be voting for one in this general election. However, I do not believe that you are hearing all about McCain's health from the report(s) just released by his doctor(s). Come on Jack, do you think McCain would have supported the release had it not been possible for his doctor(s) to use the Privacy Act to hold back information that would have jeopardiced his run for the Presidency, moreso because he is not in any obligation to release his health report anyway?

All that being said, the purported suggestions that the reports declares McCain fit does not nullify the fact that he is too old to be running for the Presidency. History will prove that nominating McCain (above all other candidates) will be the greatest mistake by the Republican electorate.

May 23, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  85. Mari, Salt Lake City, Utah

No, I am not. I will not vote for a Republican, so it matters not.

May 23, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  86. Chryssa

I wouldn't vote for a Repbulican if he or she was as healthy as a horse.

Boise, Idaho

May 23, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  87. Matt, Albuquerque

Aside from believing that McCain needs a "check-up from the neck up" for willing to keep our troops deployed in Iraq for 100 years & voting to allow the CIA to torture, I don't want to know about his (or any other politician's) health, not now or ever.

HIPAA applies even to Presidential candidates. It is none of our business what his cholesterol level is or how big his prostrate is. And please, please, to your collegues to spare us any diagrams. Please.

May 23, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  88. Jeff, Galena, MO

"Ditto" to all the above.

May 23, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  89. Howard M, Bolingbrook IL

One question: If McCain is doing so swell, why did it take so long to produce these records. To me, it should have only taken a quick trip to Kinko's. Something smells.

May 23, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  90. Janice, Aberdeen, SD

I would vote for him only if I agreed with his policies. His age makes no difference.

That being said, McCain's mis-speaking about who's with who in Iraq already shows his senior moments. I'll bet his doctors did not run any cognitive tests on him – because he wouldn't let them or they gave him a free "pass" because of who he is and not suggest it.

I personally would like to see a constitutional amendment that requires that cognitive tests for all Presidents, Senators, and Congresspersons are required to be submitted when filing to run for office and must be normal each of the years they are in office or they have to resign or not run for office – regardless of how old they are. They should also have to pay extra out of pocket insurance expenses if they smoke or otherwise have other health issues.

No one besides them gets a free pass in the workforce anymore – time for them to feel the pain the rest of the population experiences.

May 23, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  91. gary lee, from san luis obispo, ca.

hell no it wouldn't stop me from voteing for him!
    why would it?
    that, concern just sounds like another cheap partisan ploy to divert voters attention from the issues!. this is me shaking my head in discust, that anyone would make an issue out of it.

May 23, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  92. Mike, Syracuse NY

Jack, Age is just an excuse for people who wouldn't vote for him anyway to rationalize the decision. His doctors say he's a 'go', and the traveling press corps sees him putting in 18 hour days campaigning day after day. Where's the problem? When is Obama, until recently a smoker, going to release his medical records?

May 23, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  93. Rex in Portland, Ore.

Nah, it isn't the health concerns, Jack. It is the self-appointed expertise in everything that disgusts me. By the way, I am 71, and I am farrr tooooo old to be president.

May 23, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  94. Linda

Yes.......and a concern about who he would pick for vice president would stop me also. So if Hillary is able to bend the rules at her convenience. I'll just stay home and not vote.

May 23, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  95. Tiffeany

Jack,

We all should be concerned about McCain's health. You can see that he walks stiff and half the time appears as if someone is keeping him propped up with a stick. He should be mentoring someone and guiding them toward the Presidency, not be the President.

La Mesa, CA

May 23, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  96. Jerry,OK

McCain's health...? Stopping his opponent from becoming president is much more important than John's health.
    Of course that's just the opinion of one of those: "religious-gun clinging, antipathy for those that look different, bitter people."

Jerry, N/Tulsa

May 23, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  97. Venia - Philadelphia, PA.

Jack, his age has nothing to do with why I wouldn't vote for him. I have a conscience and care for my fellow man and could never vote repubican.

May 23, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  98. Paris

John McCain is the only man for the Job.

McCain 08
    McCain 08

May 23, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  99. Mini Mom, Pinckney, MI

No, I'm not concerned about McCain's age or health, I'm concerned about his idea's.

May 23, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  100. Don Bezler

Jack, If McBush was having health trouble we would NEVER KNOW
    he would tell it 50 ways.

May 23, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  101. Judy - MO

Since McCain just voted against post perks for those serving our country..........his reason stating he fears many will leave the service early........makes me wonder about his judgment!!!! Curious if he has direct deposit to his bank for that disability check he (earned) receives monthly. I would believe he would wildly embrass the bill that Obama voted Yes on this week.

May 23, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  102. Julian, New Orleans

Come on Jack, let's get serious here for a moment. I wont vote for Mccain based on his age or health. I think that arguing about things like this are exactly what has gotten our country into the mess it is now. I won't vote for Mccain because he's old. I won't vote for him because he wants keep us in Iraq for one-hundred years, continue to cut taxes for the rich and let the everyone else fend for themselves, continue to let the drug and insurance companies slide when it comes to the health care crisis, and just about every other national security and domestic blunder that Bush has gotten us in to that Mccain wants to continue for another four or even eight years, That's a scary thought to me.

May 23, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  103. Steve

It seems there are many who feel Hilliary Clinton's "political health" will determine if they vote for John McCain or not.

May 23, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  104. Brad in Oregon

My biggest fear would be that McCain would have a VP running mate that is as evil as Dick Cheney and that this person would assume the presidency if McCain should fail to live out his term in office.

May 23, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  105. AndyZ Fairfax, VA

Nope, I wouldn't have any concerns about his health. I'm not going to vote for him anyhow. But, if the Dems really do selected Obama, then it becomes a very tough choice. Depends who McCain chooses as his VP. Maybe I'll just vote none of the above. For me, it's Hillary or stay hme and watch the results on CNN.

May 23, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  106. Preston in South Bend, IN

I'm trying to figure out what would be worse...John McCain operating out of the White House or Dr. House operating on John McCain.

May 23, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  107. Douglas -- Rochester, MN

Not too worried about his health; more so about his policies. Ol' John just doesn't sound too convincing on much of what he says. He's beginning to sound more and more like Elmer Fudd or Mr. Magoo.

May 23, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  108. Linda in Oregon

What I'm concerned about is the super-sneaky way he released medical records! People with nothin' to hide don't hide it!

May 23, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  109. Bill,Quarryville. PA

The main reason I will not vote for John Mccain is his willingness to follow in president Bush's footsteps when it comes to the Iraq war and the economy. But I think any man that has health problems such as Mccain has and being 72 years old has to put questions into some voters minds.

May 23, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  110. Bob in Charlotte, NC

His PHYSICAL health isn't the health I'M worried about!

May 23, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  111. garrick

hi jack
    McCains health isnt the issue,its his policies that im worried about and how he can act like Bush is the best president and can agree with his policies,he might as well kept pastor Haggee by his side because he will need alot of prayer to get into the White House by calling himself McBush.
    clearwater,fl

May 23, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  112. Martine

Well said...

May 23, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  113. Jason, Koloa, HI

Jack,
    Health is probably the last reason I'm not voting for John McCain. Although he should definately skip campaigning in Alaska. They might accidentally push him off on one of the rapidly deteriorating ice flows.

May 23, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  114. Ted, Beaverton, OR

It's not his health that I think twice about, it's his lack of judgement in following the Bush principals. And he talks about the inexperience of Obama. As OLD as McCain is, one would think he'd know better than to copycat Bush yet still be so naive as to think voters can't see this futile pursuit of being CINC while running on the Bush planks. Have you noticed his temper right on the edge on several occasions now that he really has to answer questions of depth?

May 23, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  115. Thomas, Yo.town, OH

NO.......but John McCain prevents me from voting for him.

May 23, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  116. Mike Anderson

Just. FYI..

I went to John McCain web site and most of the links on his Website dont work!! how can we trust some one that cant even get his website work right to run our country??? just a thought

May 23, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  117. Griff

No he's fit enough for the next eight year's. Should do 4 in a Canter...
    His past experience, is his only problem... Memories of Viet Nam..
    They never go away, those really bad times...

May 23, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  118. Caryn, Washington DC

The government has a mandatory retirement age of 65 so would someone please explain to me how John McCain is even eligible at 72. He's old and he should be living out his golden years at Shady Pines or one of the other "communities" in Arizona.

May 23, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  119. JW Georgia

Nope. But I am concerned about my own health if that fool gets elected.

May 23, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  120. Prince Kaywood/New Orleans

No, McCain's health and age was never an issue for me. It's his courage that truly inspires me. It takes courage to try to win on the failed policies of George Bush. It takes courage to attack Obama about Jeremiah Wright, only to find out that he also had to reject, not only one but two preachers. It takes courage to admit that you know nothing about the economy. McCain exhibits courage in the word's purest form

May 23, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  121. Randall Chapman Las Vegas,Nv

Hi Jack,
    McCain health doesn't bother me,it mine and our country health that the reason I wouldn't vote for McCain.
    Neither left or right,red or blue,Just an American.
    Randall Chapman Msgt (Ret)
    Vietnam Vet

May 23, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  122. Paul of Virginia

I'm 74 and believe that I am in better health physically than McCain. It's his memory which has me concerned. Older folks have been loosing brain cells, according to medical literature, since we were in our 20s, and I agree. When I hear McCain talk on the tube, he doesn't seem to be very well wrapped, if you know what I mean.

May 23, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  123. DAVID, statesboro, ga

yes; hes too old. even older than you jack.

May 23, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  124. Dem going IND, Texas

McCain looks like he will be a great bet...

Since the Democratic party is so gun ho on playing an experiment this year...

GO McCAiN

May 23, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  125. Greg, Hamilton Ontario

Come on Jack! You guys voted GW Bush in for two terms. Physical or mental wellness doesn't really play much of a roll in the American voters train of thought.

May 23, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  126. Ronald Holst

Am I worrted About Mccains health only if I have to pay his hospital bill will i worry So hope fully No nenve

May 23, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  127. CJ in Roanoke, VA

He's too old and out of touch Jack. I'm sorry, but I won't vote for the guy based on that and his stance on the issues. He's too set in his ways to deviate from them, a characteristic of older people by and large from my experience.

May 23, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  128. Drew, Central FL

It's not his health that concerns me. It's his age and prevailing attitudes. He sounds like he was alive back when folks thought the Earth was flat.

As for that medical report he released...

Cough! Cough! Redacted!

I'd have more faith in that report if it included carbon-dating information. ZING!

May 23, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  129. Bruce St Paul MN

Vote for him? I'm worried about him still having a drivers license.

May 23, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  130. dave

It depends alot on who he picks for the VP slot. Cheney's need not apply.

May 23, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  131. Dena, Raleigh, NC

No-his politics would!

May 23, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  132. Gayle Jacksonville, Illinois

I have more things to worry about than that old coots health. I'll leave all that worry to his doctor and his wife Cindy because I am not the one who will be wheeling him around in a few years.

May 23, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  133. L.M.,Arizona

I am younger then McCain every morning I get up I have a new pain but I can make it thru the day and be reasonably productive,but I have watched a number of presidents age beyond believe. McCain is what I think is a wrong with this country too much ego and too much wanting to leave a legacy for his children instead of letting them work for what they want.

May 23, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  134. Paula, Seattle, WA

I am more concerned about the mental health of America if McCain gets elected.

May 23, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  135. nick in Columbus, OH

There is a reason that that there is an max age for pilots, they have peoples lives in there hands. The presidency is respondsible for many more lives than a pilot, so why isn't there an age max for the presidency? Is that age discrimination? Then why is there an age minimum?

May 23, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  136. Bill of Hewlett, NY

No. Based on his doctor's opinion and the information presented in your question, there doesn't seem to be a medical reason why he shouldn't be president. His age per se should not be a disqualification. However, I would want him to select a running mate who is entirely competent enough to be president. Not to be morbid but McCain is approaching the average age at which men die.

May 23, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  137. Doug from AZ

Regardless of his stance on domestic or foreign issues, I wouldn’t vote for him. He’s had multiple cancer scares, his cholesterol is elevated, he takes a regular regimen of aspirin for his heart, and he “occasionally” takes something to sleep. And he’s applying for the most stressful job in the world??? I think he’s in relatively good health for a man his age but not for someone wanting to lead the free world.

May 23, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  138. Ed C.

Melanoma is one of the deadlest cancers we deal with. If ever it resurfaces in a bad inoperable place John McCain is history. It killed my Aunt in a matter of months after it was diagnosed. The thought of electing a man who could be dead withing such a short period means that his choice for a VP would be the real republican scam that one should watch.

May 23, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  139. L.M.,Arizona

There was a reason that the retirement age was set at 65. You want to volunteer,work at a stressless job,or stand in front of walmart fine,but you not flying me around in a plane, operating on me,or running my country.

May 23, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  140. Alan B, Minneapolis

When you look at the before and after photos of the men who have been president, it is easy to see that the job wears a person down. Just eight years adds 20 years to their appearance.

John McCain may be in great health for somebody his age, but he still looks like the "after" photo. I don't think he could survive one, let alone two terms.

May 23, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  141. Roy Munroe

There is a difference between physical health and mental and after listening to his same tone speaches I believe his body might be in ok condition but his thought processes are nothing more than a Bush/Cheney/Rove re-run.

Roy
    Olympia, WA

May 23, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  142. Robbin

i am more concerned about mine and my family's health if this Republican gets in office.

May 23, 2008 at 5:05 pm |
  143. Chuck in Alabama

If he were laying in the ICU with tubes up his nose, I'd still vote for him before I'd vote for Obama.

May 23, 2008 at 5:10 pm |
  144. Phyllis, MD

People are going to use the health issue. I don't, if you don't vote for McCain, it won't be because of his health. This is a non-issue.

Obama 08

May 23, 2008 at 5:10 pm |
  145. Rick

why does anyone care about his health? He a politican that has free health care...and can go to the hospital 9 times this year, and not put a dent in his pocket, wheres to I have to wait till things get as bad as I can stand them. He's not on my medical level.

May 23, 2008 at 5:11 pm |
  146. Matthew

Jack,

My father's 77 and 78 year old former business partners believe John McCain is to old to be President, what does that tell you?

May 23, 2008 at 5:12 pm |
  147. Terri from Virginia

His health isn't the issue for me. His policies are a big problem.

148. Janice

I have no problem with Mc Cain's age. President Reagan was only a couple of years younger when he took office.

J.C.

149. Richard Williams in Larchmont, NY

Jack,
    My vote is going third party like it has been since 1980. I have never liked any of the Republican or Democratic candidates for President.

150. jim duxter

In answer to your question, if he dies before Nov. 4, then yes.

151. dennis in NY

since I think Republicans need to be punished this year, and I won't vote for em, my problem with McCain's health is that he's a living Republican. I hope he loses and lives a long healthy life.

152. Brenan Searain

After McCain's virtual rubber stamp support of every item on the Bush Administration's agenda, my only concern about John McCain is his mental health. We don't need a third term of Bush's failed policies.

153. Lucas M

I will likely vote Democratic in this election, however, I feel that candidates should be judged on overall qualifications, not age. If John McCain was found to be very unhealthy, that should matter, but it should matter regardless of age. I would still vote for McCain regardless of his age, it's other issues that lead me away from voting for him.

154. June

HI Jack I wouldnt vote for McCain If he was the only one running I might Just write your name in at least your Honest hugs June New Hampshire

155. john j. grimes

It's not his physical health that concerns me but rather my concern regarding Mr. McCain's mental health. His temperament really troubles me along with his continual boast of running a clean campaign while doing the opposite. The next few months will prove that he is not fit to be the leader of this country.

156. Donna Dawkins

Jack, it would certainly affect my vote. He is old and just simply needs to go sit down and concentrate on maintaining his so called good health. By the time four years would have passed he would be hiding more than his physical health, he would be hiding mental issues as well(altzheimer's). To John McCain, GO AWAY!!!

157. Sheila

My concern is his bad temper which will cost a trillion of dollars with another war.

158. Joe

I am convinced tha John McCain is in good health given his vigor and enthusiasm.
    As for the age issue he should take a note from the Ronald Reagen playbook an vow not to make his opponents youth and experience an issue in this camapign.

159. Michael

Reagan was physically fit (relative to age) when he left office, but it is the mental health i am concerned about. I am less concerned with his physical ability to meet the President's Physical Fitness Test compared with his minds ability to function at peak performance with the stress of the office. I am not trying to be mean, i am getting older and i used to have an IQ that would get me into Mensa in a blink, now ... hea it's a fact of life i accept it/

160. Bobby

McCain's age is not the issue– his outdated and backwards policies are. If he brought an honest, truthful campaign to the American people, I'd vote for him. Unfortunately, he's proven himself unable to stick to his word and maintain a backbone.

161. Sandy

I'm not a fan of McSame but I wonder what other 'healthy' adult has 1,100 pages of medical information from the year 2000 to present.

162. stan brenner in york pa

Jack i am a vietnam vet and i am old , I would never vote for McCain it is time for him to retire and go to the beach

163. Linda

As a 68 year-old, it's not his health, but his age that concerns me. The aging process for seniors can quickly become debilitating, even for those of us who have only the routine health issues of the elderly. For seniors there really are no "golden years."

164. Aaron W.

Concerns about the senator's health would not keep me from voting for him. The fact that he would be 72 on inauguration day would...and the fact that his name has been changed to John McCain-Bush.

165. Lisa

If only I could afford healthcare, so that I (and many other americans) could have our own medical records to look at...instead of medical bills.

166. Laura Schneider, Theodore, AL

Being a Democrat, I probably won't vote for him because of his policy positions, however, his age and medical history makes his choice for VP even more important. Normally, you vote for the top of the ticket, but, given his age and health history, this is a time when the VP slot becomes far more important.

167. Jake

I would be concerned if any politician tried to hide his or her medical history. However, the Sen. McCain's report appears to be glazed over with "good news" mythology that has no reference to his quick temper or mental stability, as in an unconcionable opposition to a GI Bill for our veterens by his absence to even vote on it this last week.

Jake Jacboson, in Oregon

168. Gary, NY

Yes, I am. The average age of a human male is only in the low 70's, and he'd be starting him first term at 72. Not that it's his fault, but at that age people generally start to become senile. Do you want a senile old man being the leader of the free world? That's not even taking into account the fact that he knows nothing about managing the economy at a time when the economy is hurting as much as it has in decades.

169. phoebe

Age is nothing but a number. The real problem is not his health but four more years of bush policy. I don't care if he is twenty or a hundred, if he believes the country is going in a good direction then he lost my vote.

170. Roger Lund

Of course it matters.

A report like the one he had today is simply a snapshot in time. Far more important to me is his mental acuity.

Listening to him and seeing how confused he gets, I have great fear. He already gets mixed up. Face it: presidents age in "dog years". He may be 72 if elected, but the strain of the office will affect him far differently than it might a younger person. I have great fear and will not vote for him.

171. Jeff, West Palm Beach

He'd better pick a young spry running mate or the Geritol ticket will go nowhere.

172. Don MacArthur

Hi Jack;
    His age wouldnt prevent me from voting for him. However his laconic personality, his lack of understanding of diplomacy and his Republican dirty tricks would. I do hope that my American friends are wise enough to reject him.
    Mac, Bowmanville Canada

173. Kimether - Atlanta

You darn skippy! The full retirement age, according to our federal government is 67. Our government is the ultimate flip flopper for urging employees to retire before 67, but hiring a President that is 72.

174. Bill R

I'm 63 & walk into rooms wondering what I came into the room for. He's 71 or 72 how's he doing & for how long. Think I better stay with Obama. It's mind over matter if you don't mind it doesn't matter!

175. Sylvia

Jack, It has nothing to do with his health, why I would or would not vote for him, I am concern regarding his health, but I would not vote for him anyway and I'm a Republican, I will be casting my vote for Obama, Its all about making changes, McCain has not given me that impression. Everything that come out of is mouth is disturbing.

Sylvia

176. Jean at Madisonville, Louisiana

Jack,
    I'm a senior citizen. I know what aging does to us all, even John McCain. I wouldn't vote for anyone for a first term as president beyond the age of 65. There's a time to let the younger generation take over.

May 23, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  177. Steve

Nope. I want a shot at it when I hit 80!

May 23, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  178. Dee Lightner

I wouldn't vote for McCain if he was younger, and yes I am concerned about his health, both physical AND mental! He seems to have a pretty quick temper. Do we really want another hothead in the White House with his finger on the button?

May 23, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  179. William Smith

Jack,
    Ug, its not exactly McCains's health I'm worried about, its my own. Since I'm getting older, my eyesight is getting bad and I just can't see MacCain being president.

May 23, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  180. SHERYLANNE, NYS

His age nor his heath shouldn't be a concern. A 20 year old could be afflicted with a terminal disease or die suddenly.

With age, comes experience.

May 23, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  181. Kim from Jamaica, WI

Choose Young, fit, Healthy, sexy, OBAMA
    OBAMA 2008!

May 23, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  182. brian from cleveland, ohio

No. Even though I'm voting for Obama, I don't feel that Mccain is unhealthy. Should he become President, he would have sound judgment, though I might not agree with the decisions he would make. However, he should take questions about his health into account when picking his vice-president.

May 23, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  183. Mark

Voters need to realize that McCain's an old man. Though he may be in fine health now, who knows what shape he'll be in in four years. I'm not going to risk it.

May 23, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  184. Bob in Tryon, NC

McCain's age should make his selection of a Vice President much more important to the voters. Can you imagine if Dan Quayle had been president!?

May 23, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  185. RRR

His mental health concerns me... after all, he is a clone of Bush.

May 23, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  186. BC

If John McCain has health problems during his Presidency, his Vice is the next in line. If he picks a good, young Vice President, in very good health, then more people would consider voting for him than if he picks another old guy. In the end, it comes down to his health and Vice President.

May 23, 2008 at 5:36 pm |
  187. Earlene

Hi Jack,

Love you; love your comments.

Therefore, I must say that I will be voting for John McCain specifically because of his age/health factor.
    There are a great number of senior citizens (ages 80 to 100) who are
    perfectly cabable, both mentally and physically, of governing our great country with much more competance than those suffering from a race or gender issue.

Lets get real; all senior citizens are not brain dead!!

Earlene
    Issaquah, WA

May 23, 2008 at 5:37 pm |
  188. Ron M

I'm not voting another GOP into the WH, not after the war and how this economy has been handled. As far as his health is concerned, it's his age that nixes the idea further.

May 23, 2008 at 5:37 pm |
  189. Rachel, Las Vegas

he's too old. it's that simple.

May 23, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  190. RobinQueensNY

i'm more concerned about his mental health,policy, lack of new ideas and his legendary stubborness with reality than I am with his physical health

May 23, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  191. Liza

Concerns about losing my freedoms and spending 4 more years under a Bush-esque dictatorship rule are much more pressing than McCain's health. He could be a marathoner and I still wouldn't vote for him.

May 23, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  192. temper temper

well maybe physically, but not mentally, you heard he has a short fuse.

May 23, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  193. Mary Ann Watt

Not voting for him, he isn't going to be President. Not concerned

May 23, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  194. george

Jack,

McCain's age is not a primary concern. However, his ideas are just what this world doesn't need today. I feel that a new era is on its way and we have to get ready for it. McCains's ideas and generation have ruled this country for many decades and the result is what we all see now. We have to transcend "McCain".

George

May 23, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  195. Cindy

I find it quite distasteful to consider McCain's health or age. He's obviously an energetic and fit person. I would have absolutely no qualms about him being President, should he win.

I'm not voting for McCain; I'm all about Barack Obama.

I'm just extremely upset that people are going after his age. It's so disturbing and a low tactic.

May 23, 2008 at 5:39 pm |
  196. John, Baton Rouge

His age and health aren't the issue. The issue is there is not ONE decent candidate running for President worthy of my vote. Not one.

I put more trust in a used car salesman than the current crop of candidates.

May 23, 2008 at 5:39 pm |
  197. Rich

McCain's physical health is of a whole lot LESS concern to me than Clinton or Obama's mental health.

May 23, 2008 at 5:40 pm |
  198. Bud Curtis

Jack, I am not concerned about his health, any more than I would be concerned about any President's. But If anyone is concerned, maybe they should check with his 95 year-old Mother. She seems like a very honest person.
    Bud Curtis
    Miami, OK

May 23, 2008 at 5:40 pm |
  199. Brandon

McCain's health is not of concern to me at all. He appears healthy, and just because he is older than the democratic nominees does not mean that Clinton or Obama (lord forbid) couldn't come down with some type of illness that affects their presidency. It's a toss up, but the main concerns should be this issues that affect the American people, like not raising taxes, which we all know the democrats will do.

May 23, 2008 at 5:40 pm |
  200. Bill

If you want to get into medical nitty-gritty (instead of looking at the candidates themselves) then maybe we should be able to see Obama's chest xrays for the last 2 years. He is a smoker isn't he?
    I think the mortality statistics for smokers far outweigh the number 71.

May 23, 2008 at 5:40 pm |
  201. Bill Chisman

My health concerns me and we are the same age, i wouldn't vote for me and i certainly wouldn't vote for someone who perhaps could not find the oval office on a given day.

May 23, 2008 at 5:40 pm |
  202. Toidd

I can't believe we would vote for a President that will spend more time in the ER than in the Oval Office.

May 23, 2008 at 5:40 pm |
  203. Judy in Cleveland, Ohio

McCain's health does not concern me. I am more concerned about his political philosophies, and what is going on with him from the eyebrows up, inside his head. I'd never vote for a Republican no matter how healthy he or she is.

May 23, 2008 at 5:40 pm |
  204. Meduongbe

Not at all!

Meduongbe, SJ, CA

May 23, 2008 at 5:41 pm |
  205. Wooly in Jupiter FL

It isn't his health but the age to start with, health rise up later. The biggest concern is how he is switching to a G. Bush clone. Four more years of it and we will have a angry old man, ill and not caring, leading our armed forces. Democrates win my vote, either of them.

May 23, 2008 at 5:41 pm |
  206. Jennifer from Atlanta

YES! The man is too old to have this type of medical history and be expected to roll with the challenges of a presidential term. Every president looks 10 times more exhausted after their first year. For McCain this means his second foot would be in the grave.

May 23, 2008 at 5:42 pm |
  207. Kyle Pozza, TX

Only if Huckabee gets on the ticket as VP.

May 23, 2008 at 5:42 pm |
  208. Jimbo - San Diego

McCain's health should concern everybody. Ronald Reagan was too old to be president, finishing his second term suffering from Alzheimer's Disease. McCain has already had one bout with cancer, and his life story includes horrendous physical punishment.

McCain will soon be 72 years old. The job of president is monumentally stressful, even if, like Bush, you spend 40 percent of your time on vacation. If McCain becomes president, he will be 76 years old by the time his first term ends.

Maybe someday 72 won't seem old, but right now it does, for a president.

May 23, 2008 at 5:42 pm |
  209. Wes

No. I do believe general health of a candidate is a valid concern – regardless of age.
    There are many other aspects of a candidate that carry more weight than age in the decision of whether or not to vote for him/her.
    Experience, past performance and future plans (across the myraid of government responsibilities/roles) are more important than age alone.
    I am a registered democrat, but I am currently planning on voting for Senator McCain. I believe Senator McCain is more qualified than either of the two democratic candidates.

May 23, 2008 at 5:42 pm |
  210. David

From AP:

McCain's most recent exams show a range of health issues common in aging: He frequently has precancerous skin lesions removed, and in February had an early stage squamous cell carcinoma, an easily cured skin cancer, removed. He had benign colon growths called polyps taken out during a routine colonoscopy in March.

May 23, 2008 at 5:43 pm |