May 5th, 2008

How important are Indiana and North Carolina?

Click the play button to see what Jack and our viewers had to say.

Click the play button to see what Jack and our viewers had to say.

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

The 16-month fight between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama continues tomorrow in North Carolina and Indiana.

Obama leads Clinton in the polls in North Carolina, while the latest average of polls suggests Clinton is now slightly ahead in Indiana. If Obama can deliver a pair of wins, it would be a huge psychological boost for his campaign and could bring him one step closer to winning the nomination. If Clinton wins both, she'll still be behind but will think she's won the nomination.

The fact is that Obama continues to lead Clinton in everything except superdelegates where he has narrowed her lead to just 14. He leads in pledged delegates, popular vote and number of states won.

A new poll out also suggests that Obama has rebounded from some of the damage caused by the Reverend Jeremiah Wright controversy. The New York Times/CBS News poll shows 60% of registered voters approve of how Obama handled the situation, and a majority say the news media spent too much time covering the story. Also, Obama's lead over Clinton among Democratic primary voters has increased to 12 points, up from 8 points just a few days ago.

However Obama seems to have lost his edge when it comes to the question of electability. In February, 59% said Obama was the stronger candidate, compared with 28% who said Clinton. In this newest survey, the two are essentially tied.

Here’s my question to you: Considering Barack Obama's lead, how important are Indiana and North Carolina?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Columbus writes:
Indiana and North Carolina are very important to Mr. Obama. Winning both of those states will show that he has rebounded from wounds, some self-inflicted, that slowed his progress in the polls. I believe the media have been much harder on Mr. Obama than Ms. Clinton. However, if he wants to demonstrate his battle-readiness, he must win some wars.

Arnold from West Virginia writes:
I think that Hillary will probably win Indiana by single digits and Obama will win N.C. in higher single digits. He will end the day with a net gain in delegates, which makes her the loser.

Liz from California writes:
All of the states are important. All states, even Florida and Michigan. Let's not forget those. I just love your viewers who keep complimenting you on your impartial reporting. If you didn't have something negative to say about the Clintons each day, it would be a slow news day for you… Contrary to your belief, there are many Hillary supporters out there who would love to see her beat McCain come November and based on everything that we have seen and heard in the last several weeks, she is the ONLY one who can do it.

Mark from Oklahoma City writes:
If Clinton could win both states, she would become a real contender despite the delegate count. If Obama wins both states, say bye-bye to Hillary.

Liz from San Diego writes:
Jack, Only the media pretends the race is still a contest. Those of us who can do math know we're just humoring Hillary. The media has become very one-sided trying to keep this contest alive but I think they are turning off a lot of loyal viewers in the process. Please stop treating us like we're idiots.

John from Indiana writes:
Jack, Indiana has never been important...not even to those of us who live here.

1. Tony

If Obama wins both states, it will be an enormous momentum for Obama who is only 277 delegates away from securing the nomination and it will we the Knockout punch to Hillary Balboa Clinton, who likes to compare herself to Rocky so much.

May 5, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  2. jeanine-nj

What North Carolina and Indiana means is that Clinton is still behind and need to go take a seat or come fill up my gas tank and buy me some groceries since one who earned 109 million cannot begin to understand any of these things since I am sure they do not food shop, nor purchase gas.

Clinton is only in this race for spite, because if Obama was behind he would have been told to bow out.

May 5, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  3. Cory in Little Rock, AR

Well Jack, I'm not sure how important it will make in the nomination process but maybe Hillary's just trying to "keep hope alive" as Jesse Jackson would say.

But as Bill reminded us, Jesse also ran... and lost.

May 5, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  4. gCs Gonzales LA

I think all primaries are important especially the two contest on tuesday. If Barack Obama can win tuesday, I believe this will seal the nomination for him, on the other hand if not it's going to complicate an other wise complicated situation. I do know however that the longer this continues is not necessarily good for the Democratic party. They say there is time to take on John McCain in the fall, but personally I believe tuesday elections are important for the Dems to finish this thing and go on too win in November.

May 5, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  5. Bob in Traverse City Mi.

Jack they are not important as far as settling the issue but if they swing Hillary's way they could provide her with enough momentum to create even more confusion at the democratic convention than we are used to seeing there. The democrats inate ability to shoot theirselves in the foot may pay off this time because the next president is going to get the blame for the trainwreck the bush administration has coming. Ask Jimmy Carter how that works. Losing to John McCain is the best thing the democrats could hope for in November.

May 5, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  6. Jahlisa, New Jersey

Jack, I think these primaries are most important to Hillary Clinton who has to win both to legitimize her staying in the race. If she loses either one, America will hopefully call for her to drop out of the race immediately. She has no hope for winning the nomination at this point; her numbers are too far behind. If Obama wins both I'm excited to see just how fast she can spin this one in her direction without getting us all dizzy from its absurdity.

May 5, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  7. Bart

NC and Indiana could be nails to Clinton's or Obama coffins. If Obama wins more delegates at the end of day then the game is over and he wins. If Clinton wins the both states – she has a good argument for the superdelegates and she wins. Anything in between moves the contest to 5/20.

May 5, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  8. Gary of El Centro, Ca

They are important in this sense Jack, if Obama wins both, the super delegates will flock to him and basically end this thing. If they split, the super delegates may or may not make their move. If Clinton wins both, the super delegates will freeze in place and we will continue the back and forth knee capping for another few weeks. Here's hoping for a big Obama day tomorrow.

May 5, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  9. Jayne, California

Obama WILL be the nominee. The media is just trying to continue a good story and pull in viewers by suggesting this thing is even close. Check out your own "delegate counter". It's impossible for Clinton to win.
    Also, she has thrown the "kitchen sink" at him while he hasn't really commented on her lie about "sniper fire". What was she thinking? We just can't trust anything she says. Especially that stupid idea about suspending the gas tax for 3 months while America takes to the highways for vacations. I would like the roads to be in good repair while I am traveling and the gas tax pays for road and bridge repairs. Besides, can we really afford to lose more jobs in construction? That idea is just a political ploy. More of the SAME OLD TIRED POLITICS!
    I can't wait until November when Obama is elected and we can stop this nonsense.

May 5, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  10. Jamaal Kansas

For Hillary it is Very Very Important For Barack it is not Important at all because he is leading and she can not catch up he is like on his last lap while she just started the race meaning she can not win when he is at the finish line. Period but of course Hillary will try to spin it like she has a chance of winning which is said to her supporters giving them false hopes

May 5, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  11. Patricia

How important are Indiana & North Carolina? Well, they are part of the Bible Belt, which means the White population are afraid of a woman being President & probably more afraid of a Black man being President. But, it's still possible for Sen. Obama to win both primaries because of the growing Black population in both states, just as it's still possible for Sen. Clinton to win.
    Just remember that fear is going to dominate in the general election Jack. Fear a woman & fear of a Black man becoming President of the United States, which will mean that neither of these candidates will win either state in November.

May 5, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  12. Dan

Jack,

The founders of our great country made sure that all 50 states matter.

Given the pledged delegate difference, North Carolina and Indiana are no more or less important than the other 48 states.

May 5, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  13. Esther Cuyahoga Falls Ohio

Psychologically is a good choice of words for this.
    We are in a battle for our freedom's and it is being lead by the words we say, write on paper and some put on YouTube now..
    Some are saying the truth and that is scare for someone to talk to us an adult and not pandering to us just to give us a fluffy feeling like they have been doing over the past 4 decades.
    For the past 40 years in politics its like Whimpy saying to Popeye I will gladly pay you thursday for a hamburger today. And just like Popeye we never get it.

We are some of the people for the people and by the people lost. Our constitution is a piece of paper not followed and not even reconized by most of you read it to them. We understand this as much as we understand our feelings on the subject. That is why so many of us are in Therapy with a shrink.

I am sure North Carolina and Indiania are very important but more important is the constitution of america and if we let Hillary and Bill back in the White House and mark my words they will begin a change of it. If Obama loses this nomination I suggest to him I will hock everything I own to send him all I get and he should run as an independent. and let it be a three way race to the high office of our nation. Jack I admire you courage in reading all our desparation daily and thank you for letting me share my fears and hopes.

May 5, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  14. Debbie

Jack

I think NC is very important. It is the last state with the largest number of delegates. After these two states it is even more unlikely that Hillary can win. The math already says Clinton can't win, we are just humoring her for right now. When Obama wins NC I think more super delegates will move into his camp and we can end Hillary's fantasies. Love Obama or hate him, he survived all this elitist/Rev. Wright foolishness and he's still standing. Many bring up that Obama will get slammed in the general election over these matters. Are they not aware he's running against McBush!!

Debbie
    New Orleans, LA

May 5, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  15. Julie

Hello Jack,
    My name is Julie and I am writing from Maryland. If Obama wins the two states voting tomorrow, Hillary should step sown. But knowing Hillary, it does not matter if Obama wins them both, she will not back down. She feels that the white house is her birthright and no one can take it away form her. Not even somebody like Obama. She feels that she is experienced but my question to her is this, if she is so experienced, how come she can can not see that tax vacation being proposed by her will get the American people no relief? If Obama wins in NC, Hilary should get out of the race so that the democratic party can get their acts together for November.

May 5, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  16. Justin Newmarket, NH

Jack, it is only as important as the media wants to make it. The reality is that Obama gets a chance tomorrow to pick up more delegates. If anyone plays the delegate counter game on the CNN website, even the least intelligent among us can see how impossible it is for Hillary to pick up the nomination.

May 5, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  17. Raymond Andrews

Jack – I am not sure how dragging this on will make any difference in the overall picture, as it was pointed out that with the current system of splitting delegates wont allow Hillary to catch up ( which is good) as if it comes down to her and McCain, I will have to move my family to Canada drop football for Hockey and start eating backbacon.

Seriously Jack I want to thank you for staying levelheaded on this election and not joining your Co workers Hanging all over Hillary in would hate to see what would happen to Lou and Wolf if Hillary was ever to stop fast.
    Obama 08
    Ray in Vermont

May 5, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  18. RobertOBAMA08

I I think its more important to Hillary to win these staes than for Obama to given his current lead in every area except Superdelegates. This brings up an interesting question: Why dont the Superdelegates reflect percentage wise Obamas lead in States Won, Popular Vote, and so on? To all those undecided Superdelegates I ask: Which Candidate has the better Character and Vision to lead the United States on Foreign and Domestic matters? The Answer is Clear: Obama!

May 5, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  19. Fred - New Jersey

Obama is ahead in states won, but everything else is a false reading due to the fact that Florida and Michigan broke the rules and will not count. Obama is damaged now and there is no way to tell how he will do in November. Hillary is still hanging on a wing and a prayer, but I believe she has to get out of the race if she loses NC by a wide margin even if she wins Indiana. Obama will look very weak to the SD if he cannot win big in NC – So, I guess we have another SuperDuper Tuesday on our hands.

Fred – New Jersey

May 5, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  20. david mulenex

Indiana and North Carolina are just the latest installments in a national selection process that began with the Iowa caucus. While both candidates go up and down, at the end of the day, one will have one more delegates than the other, and that person is the winner. The superdelegates want desperately to put their approving stamp on the winner, and get on to beating McCain. May it be so,

May 5, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  21. A.M. Saqib

Jack:

It is important for both candidates, but for different reasons; for Hillary to stay in the race just for more non-sense, and for 'Obama' that he has the ability to close the nomination without much help from superdelegates, may be a little at the very end.

A.M. Saqib
    Houston, Texas

May 5, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  22. Jodie, Idaho

They are very important. If Hillary can't win both, she should drop out.

May 5, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  23. Larry McCumber

They are all important Jack. It's part of the process. The American way.if you will. They should be counted as important as Iowa and New Hampshire. Hillary doesn't probably have much of a chance but lets let the American people, all the American people stand up and be counted. Then I, and hopefully everyone else will get behind whom ever the demacratic candidate is.

Larry in Florida

May 5, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  24. Karen, Chattanooga TN

Apparently, all primaries and caucuses are only as important as Hillary's camp says they are. Being the political geniuses that they are (I don't mean that as a compliment) they are able to make people believe whatever spin they deliver. No wonder I feel nauseated every time I watch them speak!

May 5, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  25. Jason

Jack its important but not too relevant. One win for Obama, from either state, will open the dam of supers – I think. Or will they? As an Independent I worry that non-elected supers are enjoying their moment of courtship and media attention, some even going so far to promote their vote online. Why give up the light? I am voting Democrat this year no matter what, but the super situation is not democratic. And i think most know who they are going to pick but are enjoying the moment and wont – until they need too. So if he wins do they come out? I do not necessarily believe they will for obvious self serving reasons. So maybe it doesn't matter. Shame....

May 5, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  26. Dave in Astoria

The more Sen. Obama gets beaten, the more people will lose confidence in his electability. I think he needs to win ,if for no other reason than to stop his eroding popularity. The unacceptable appears to have started with the movement of "super" delegates from one camp to another. Bad news for Democrats, I think. Ultimately Sen. Clinton will have to accept the responsibility for the progressives' demise should the Demos falter. It's a fact no one can dispute because of the huge egos of the Clintons.

May 5, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  27. Jenny

Jack,

Aparently every delegate is going to count in the election, one way or the other. So every state and each delegate is important.

Jenny Rome GA

May 5, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  28. Chantel

From Memphis, TN.
    Indiana and N.C. are important depending on how you look at it. Obama could win N.C. and lose IN but still be in the lead in delegates/states. He can win IN and N.C. and be in an even better situation with delegates/states. If he loses both, he only loses momentum. He will still hold a lead over Clinton. Clinton can win one or both and still continue to lag behind. I think superdelegates need to decide as of May 6, 2008. She has her base and Obama continues to hold his. The math will not change. Please end this so the democratic party can unite! But I guess if its up to Hillary it will go on to the convention.I was born in Indiana and I will be ashamed if it goes for Hillary Clinton.

May 5, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  29. Deborah Boston

If the Raleigh Durham area is any inclination, I would have to say that Obama will take NC with no real problem. Obama supporters are strong here. The local Obama campaign office has mobilized the hardest working team in America. Everyone I know has had at least one phone call, flyers and knocks on their door urging them to vote Obama. Strangely enough, I have received no contact from the Clinton campaign. How did they know I would not change my mind!

May 5, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  30. Derick from ATL

Quite important. Obama will carry NC, and Hillary may win Indiana. That means Obama will probably widen his leand delegate count, since NC has more delegates to be seated.

Frankly, i think If Obama were in Hillary's shoes, he'd step down and bring The Dem's together, but we know Hillary has too much personal interest in this. She's definitely doing this for herself an the clinton legacy, more so than for the country. So we know this will go all the way to the wire. If she loses, she might as well help McCain win by delaying the unification which the Dems so badly need.

God save the Dems.

May 5, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  31. Colleen in Tennessee

Jack,
    Yours is the only daily blog I read on any topic! Now Jack, I have a question. With a war raging and partisan politics in Washington bringing our government to a standstill, why does Hillary think being a "fighter" is something to be proud of? I thought both Democratic candidates were against the war but I see only Obama as a peacemaker. How imporant are these two states? We shoulld be electing based on total delegates and so these states should only add numbers, not make any other difference. The swaying of the superdelegates is shameful – if another nation allowed 700 people to those their candidates, we would be screaming!
    Colleen in Tennessee

May 5, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  32. vince nizzardi, new Jersey

jackzilla, these states are the final pivot point, which will push either Barack, or Hill to the nomination. A win in both states for either, will be major. A split, will see this race contimue till june.
    Hold your breath, cross your fingers, here we go!

May 5, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  33. Harry

The Clintons will campaign till the "bitter" end. At that time, the super delegates will make backroom deals with the Clinton's to avoid any future sniper fire, such as the 2012 Clinton presidential campaign, which is only 4 short "ayers" or rather years from now.

Essentially, the superdelegates will make the "w"right decision, but for the wrong reasons. I will never understand politicians, even if I live to see the U.S. have troops in Iraq for another 100 years.

Harry
    Ky.

May 5, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  34. Dee

Dee from Atlanta.

I think that every vote and every win is important but as a black woman I don't understand why my vote is not as important to the democrats as the white working class. and by the way I get up every morning and go to work, am I not a part of the working class. I am backing Obama.

May 5, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  35. Ann Marie in Georgia

It makes no difference for Obama because he has already won. I've been using John Kings delegate machine and it appears that Obama has won irrespective of the upcoming contests. Hillary has never gotten over 60% in any state except Arkansas. Its impossible for her to win in pledged delegates. The Superdelegates need to declare Obama the winner. It does not matter what the polls are saying, especially the General Election polls. They are totally irrelevant and inaccurate. The pundits are not prophets. It seems the polls and opinions are designed to sway people not inform people. If were worried about Obamas complexion being a deterrent for some voters in November, just think how black and blue Hillary would be if the Republicans get a hold of her.

May 5, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  36. Jay in Houston

It's important for the delegate math. Obama will win at least one, or both, states, and his victory margin in North Carolina is likely to be much bigger than the margin either way in Indiana. Considering NC has a lot more delegates, I predict Obama will come out of Tuesday having eliminated Hillary's delegate advantage from her PA win, making his lead fully unassailable. And a whole bunch of superdelegates will finally swarm to him.

May 5, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  37. ajks

Barack Obama has already won the nomination! Winning North Carolina and Indiana would just be feathers in his cap. Hillary can not beat him in delegates. If the superdelegates turn over the candidacy to her, they will be starting a revolt across the USA. Hopefully, they are smart enough to see what would happen if they go against the wishes of the voters!!

May 5, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  38. Patricia

The wins (or losses) in these two states are as important as the press makes them, sadly. It would be easier if he could just win at least one of them because then we could have a nominee–and the nail would be in the coffin at this point. Because the press crucified him over Wright and the gal at the Huffington Post got a conscience and reported his "bitter" comments, we have heard nothing of importance for the last month. We already know he is the nominee and are so excited about his character and his policies.

Patricia in Idaho

May 5, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  39. nic

No matter what happens, it seems as though Obama is STILL going to be in the lead. All of this campaign torture is just wearing everyone down, which is what I am sure the Clintons want. I don't know what the SDs are waiting for. For God's sake get behind Obama and let's move on with this!

May 5, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  40. Billy G in Las Vegas

it really doesn't matter what happens. even if he was to win both, Hillary Clinton will NEVER get out of the race. she and Bill will be "in it until the last Democrate dies"

May 5, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  41. Mini Mom, Pinckney, MI

According to Clinton, there the game changer, according to Obama there shoring up his delegate lead.

Indiana and North Carolina are two out of fifty states in the country, and their vote is as important as each of the other states. Unfortunately for Clinton, it's the delegates that win the nomination. And the only way she can win is to blow out Obama in every state left to vote. That won't happen unless, Obama's name is not on the ballet. Or she convinces the super delegates with a wink and a nod to give it to her, even though Obama earned it.

It would be a real undemocratic thing to do, but not out of the realm of possibilities. I just hope those super delegates are prepared for the uproar that will occur, if they change the will of the people.

May 5, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  42. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Obama won Guam and Hillary's camp stated "we're not going to win the White House by winning Guam". I'd say Obama's win in Indiana or North Carolina should shut the Clinton camp down unless Hillary's camp denounces those two states the same as Guam.

May 5, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  43. Ray, Florida

Very important to Indiana and North Carolina Jack!
    But to the rest of the country unless either canidate wins both, the deevolution of the democratic party will continue!

May 5, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  44. karey luchtel

Obama has no chance against McCain, Democrats think of the party, do we want the Democrats to hold the White House? If so, only Hillary could get the middle of the road voters that it will take to win the Presidential vote. If Obama wins the nomination it will be certain four more years of Republican leadership!

May 5, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  45. James, Manitoba

These states are important considering the shift in momentum. The superdelegates and the media are so intimidated by Barack's supporters that they do not realize it is Hillary who will be robbed of the nomination. She is fighting hard for it while Obama's early lead was built on rockstar appeal which is quickly fading. All we hear from Obama and his supporters is how he is leading in delegates because that's the only thing he has working for him. Guam should have been an eye-opener to everyone.

May 5, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  46. byhen

They are about as important as the other forty eight states. How do you think people in places like Mississippi and Alabama feel hearing talk about Texas and Ohio being more crucial than they are? You wouldn't get my vote.

May 5, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  47. Terry in Virginia

While the media, in general, has made it clear that Obama must be the Democratic candidate, many voters do not feel the same way. There are more primaries to go and every vote should be counted. June 3rd is the earliest date for reassessment or a declaration of victory by either candidate.

May 5, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  48. Mac in Truro Nova Scotia

Jack these two primaries are very important and hopefully will bring Senator Obama closer to being the Democratic nominee. The sad part is that even if he wins these two plus the rest of the primaries, Hillary won't give up. I can picture him swearing his oath as President and Hillary trying to steal the Bible out from under his hand.

May 5, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  49. David - Texas

Jack,

This is a five month race with over 50 contests. Two important contests are tomorrow. We only have 4 weeks remaining. Wolf will add up the score on June 3rd. Welcome to politics in 2008 – Good luck with your ratings.

May 5, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  50. Bob from Richmond VA

Jack, I think North Carolina and Indiana are important to both candidates, though perhaps only psychologically. A win in NC for Clinton would be huge, and have a lot of people wondering if Obama has really lost ground. A win in IN would be huge for Obama, as this would remove all remaining arguments Clinton has for staying in. A big win in IN for Clinton would reenergize her campaign, but probably not sway too many undecided super delegates. Two wins for Obama tomorrow and even Clinton won't be able to ignore the fat lady's song.

May 5, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  51. George

If he doesn't win North Carolina, and Indiana he could be on his way to defeat. It would show a definate trend that has not been in his favor ever since Rev. Wright laid an onus of doubt on him about what he said in his speech, that he just said what he had to as a polititian, and not having denounced the good reverend when he had a chance to , and that makes him look just like any other polititian.

May 5, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  52. Patel

Jack, Obama cannot afford to lose two in one night. With Wright controversy still in the news, Obama has to win at least one. If he loses both, even by a small margin, he will still remain ahead of Clinton, but she may start gaining support from the superdelegates, the folks who will actually decide this race. Here is a man who has won 31 out of 46 contests and the people are still not sure if he is electable. If the score changes to 31 out of 48 tomorrow, suddenly in the eyes of media and the superdelegates, Clinton (projected score 17 out of 48) will become the more electable candidate. if this isn't fuzzy math, what is?

May 5, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  53. Allen L Wenger

This is very important, 2 wins by Barack Obama should be the straw that breaks Hillary Cinton's campaign. A double win should shift enough super delegates to end this painful process. We can then start the discussion of continuing on this path with John McCain or changing the direction of this country with Barack Obama. If Hillary Clinton win one of the contests, then we will have to wait a little longer.

May 5, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  54. Dave, Brooklyn, NY

They are still important, but not for the reason you are thinking. They are important because if he wins the next few state it just might be enough to convince Hillary to stop debilitating the Democratic party and allow it to mount an effective campaign against Mc Same. He hasn’t even been running and holds a small lead over both candidates! Democrats need to be fighting against the probabability of another 4 years of Bush, not eachother. But don't hold your breath, the Dems will shoot themselves in the foot again.

May 5, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  55. Derek

If Hillary wins Indiana, which she should, AND wins NC, which she shouldn't, it will send shockwaves through the democratic party. If Obama chokes on NC, I think it gives Hillary the momentum to start getting more and more superdelegates. Also, if that were to happen, it would seem unlikely that Obama would be able to beat John McCain in the fall.

Essentially, you'd have a lame duck candidate in Obama if he falls apart and still gets the nomination.

May 5, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  56. Mary in Fairhope, AL

Jack, I think both wins are important to Obama but it won't stop Hillary from rolling on toward either a contrived nomination, using every dirty tactic in the book or the very real possibility of a Democratic party melt down. I think Obama realizes that he will have to fight her every mud slinging step of the way. I just hope he makes it.

May 5, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  57. BWeb

Sen. Obama said he obviously didn't know Rev. Wright as well as he thought he did, and now he easily dismisses him. I feel the same way–I obviously did not know Sen. Obama as well as I thought I did. Do you think Sen. Obama would be ahead in pledged delegates if voters knew then what they know now???

Bart
    Kenosha, WI

May 5, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  58. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

In my own professional political opinion, they are not vital but it would be wonderful if Obama won both of these states but in reality, he will probably just win NC but will in the end lead in all categories except super delegates. All in all, it won't matter because Clinton will take this to the "bitter" end at the convention and probably stand up in front of the world and describe how great she is and how once upon a time "I had to dodge sniper fire in Bosnia", which is one of the many reasons I'd be ready on day one.

May 5, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  59. Julianna Hunch

I have been watching this race since end of last year. It has become more and more entertaining, though it seems to have nothing to do with a Canadian citizen. From an onlooker's perspective, no matter how many states H. Clinton is taking lead in, she will eventually be a loser. Obama, having all the integrity and honesty, will rebound from setbacks. Often, I am amazed at how blind some voters are when they look closely at these two Dem candidates – one is full of unfailthful lies; the other is so self-refined... Open your eyes, my American neighbors. Go Obama!

Jack, thank you in advance for posting mine.
    Julianna, Ontario, Canada

May 5, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  60. Anthony

I think it is really important for Barack Obama to win at least North Carolina.

The last thing any political candidate wants in a potentially contested convention is to have the lead in delegates, fundraising, primaries won, popular vote, the aura of inevitability and the only thing he can come up with in the last 4 months (Mar-Jun) is Vermont and Guam.

Anthony
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada

May 5, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  61. Cameron

If either of the nominees scores two wins, both indiana and North Carolina, whoever that is WILL score the nomination!
    Furthermore, if Hillary wins NC, that will be the biggest upset of the primary season. The demographics favor him tremendously.
    On the other hand, if Obama wins both, this just increases his lead and forces Hillary jump behind Obama.

May 5, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  62. Jon in Austin, TX

Both states will most likely do nothing with regard to Clinton's choice to continue. If Indiana ends as a virtual tie, the candidates will split the delegates almost down the middle, and Obama is likely to have an edge in North Carolina. Even if Obama wins both states Clinton will find some way to move goal posts around to suit her own needs. Hopefully the voters in both states will see right through that gas tax gimmick.

May 5, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  63. James

Very important Jack. As are all the states and territories left. How do you come up with rebounding? 7 vote difference in Guam where he was expected to get 65% of the vote. It is pretty obvious to everybody but you it seems that Clinton has the momentum going at this time. She will also be no where near the 25 points down she was just a week or so ago in NC either.
    If the media had done there job Obama would already be back in IL. where he belongs.

May 5, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  64. MS from SC

Jack, If Hillary Clinton wins either N. Carolina or Indiana, it will be evidence that some of the voters and media have stopped being infatuated with Obama's "golden-tongue". The reality of needed solutions to problems will have finally set in for those who would like to be romanced by rhetoric and high-sounding words.

May 5, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  65. Chris Brown

Tomorrow's primaries are vital. Sen. Obama hasn't had a win in eight weeks and tomorrows primaries give him yet another opportunity to seal the deal, and show Senator Clinton the exit.

If Sen. Clinton can pull off an upset in North Carolina tomorrow she will have an undeniable argument to the superdelagates that she is the most electable.

If they split tomorrow, we are in the same old boat we've been in. I am hoping for a shift tomorrow, and I hope it shifts toward Barack Obama.

May 5, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  66. Chuck in Eugene Oregon

They are very important in some eyes as it appears the DNC is watching to see how the next 5 weeks pan out. They appear to be afraid to go against the Clinton machine and side with Obama as it is clear he is the front runner. Front runner in the terms that he has the most won states, the most delegates and most votes; which Sen Clinton will not beable to surpass unless Obama just steps all over it.
    I can not understand the reluctance of the DNC to unite behind one candidate voted into that position by the American People other than they fear the Clintons Political Might.

May 5, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  67. Anne/Seattle

The two races are important with an Obama win putting the nail in the coffin of Clinton's lifeless campaign. I feel that the steady and forthright way he has handled the Wright debacle and getting back to his message of hope and change will help him win both states. As an Obama supporter, I'm excited to see him get on with his campaign enlightening the nation with the specifics of how he can lead America in a political and social turn around.

May 5, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  68. Chyrel Wallace-Jackson Chicago, IL.

At this stage all remaining contests are important they each need to get as many delegates as possible in order to get the nomination. If Obama loses Indiana we keep on going. The problem here is no doubt his political reputation takes a few more punches from a brutally dishonest Clinton. It's really ashamed when all is said and done, Obama won't lose for being a horribly, unqualified candidate he'll lose because of his association with Wright and Clinton exploited and played on white America's greatest fear a black man for President of the United States of America.

May 5, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  69. JOE

The remaining primaries are important but it is doubtful anything will change. Obama will continue to up his numbers and so will Clinton. However, it seems improbable that Clinton would ever catch Obama in all of the metrics as prescribed by the DNC aka The Wizard of Oz germane for securing the nomination: the delegates. So following the yellow brick continues but I believe everyone is tiring of holding hands and frolicking down that road. Where is Oz? When is Oz? Only the man behind the curtain knows...

May 5, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  70. Krista, San Diego, CA

Obviously, since the race for the Democrat nominee is still going, both states are VERY important. It is my hope that those Americans who will be going to the polls in NC & IN tomorrow are voting for the person who has the whole country's best interest in mind, not only now, while they're campaigning, but also for the next 4 to 8 years when their actions will truly matter.

May 5, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  71. Adriene, NC

North Carolina is considered to be one of the next big states, therefore Sen. Obama's arguement to the superdelegates would be, I can win big states, leaving Sen. Clinton without words of tarring down his creatability that he can not win big states. Once Sen. Obama win in Indiana and North Carolina maybe Sen. Clinton will get it that it's time for her to step down, continuing running will only keep the party divided, and we don't want that going into November against Sen. McCain. Between now and November democrates are going to have a hard time bringing the party back together. If they have been listening to CNN we have a party that is so divisive that it's going to take longer than two months to bring them back together.

Adriene
    North Carolina

May 5, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  72. J Edwards from Texas

I think it would be extremely important for Obama to win both contests so that superdelegates can flood in his direction ending this battle. This process has helped to create record turnout and voter registration but I see HRC becoming even more negative toward Obama until the process is over. The fact is that most of the party is sure that he will get the nomination and we will not win in November with a candidate that has been slammed more by his own colleague than the RNC. Hillary has already done most of the work for McCain. I'm sure she would kill her own mother just to get the nomination.

May 5, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  73. Adam

When your basketball team is up by 20 points with 30 seconds left on the clock, how important is a 10 point run in those last moments? Not much, at the end of the day you still lose the game. People just think you don't suck as much as you did before. Hillary was losing a two months ago, she was losing last week, and she will still be losing wednesday morning. The commentators (the meda) can spin it any way they want, but at the end of the day when you look at the scoreboard, she is still going to lose.

May 5, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  74. Michsel

North Carolina and Indiana are very important to both candidates.North Carolina is important to Obama because a win there gives him the additional delegates that Clinton won in Pennsylvania. Indiana is a must win for both candidates as it would be helpful in their superdelegates spin. All that happens tomorrow is that both candidates inches closer to the required number of delegates needed to win. Obama would be more closer tomorrow to being the nominee and would be the nominee.

May 5, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  75. Denise M

I, as I pray many Americans, are extremely disturbed with this Operation Chaos being promoted and encouraged by other fellow Americans. There have been tens of thousands of Americans who have died for the right to vote. Our troops are at this very moment fighting and dying. What is going on here? What kind of person who claims to honor our troops and love our country could even think of, and participate in, such a disrespectful act? What true American wishes chaos on their own country? Don’t those who have given their life deserve better? This is not a game. Outraged, but even more sadden.

May 5, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  76. Kevin From Peoria

A win in north carolina and Indiana is important the same way a win in Iowa or Georgia or Kansas. If Cnn covered the delegate math the same way they covered Rev Wright this race would be over. Campaign Clintons wants to tak the electoral college, the popular vote but only if you include states that should not count in the vote. The want to talk about voting blocks and demographics everything except the delegate count. The have made no headway in expanding the one area where they began with an advantage superdelegates. They want us to focus on superdelegates so why has so many jumped ship from Campaign Clinton? What are those superdelegates telling Campaing Clinton about why they are leaving? Does this have an impact on the kind of campaign Clinton is willing to run? Sorry I am not supose to ask just listen to Campaing Clinton

May 5, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  77. Manuel Lopez

I don't see the importance of these two state's primaries. It has already been said that she cannot overtake him in pledged delagates so what are we honestly doing here. You cannot accuse senator Clinton of being stupid so she must have something up her sleeve. I think we'll be in for a big surprise come the democratic convention. God help us all.

May 5, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  78. Mark

These next two primarys don't mean anything. This contest was over as soon as it was determined that Hillary could not catch up to Obama in pledged delegates. Hillary has been delusional to think otherwise. It would be a tragedy on our democracy if the superdelegates overturned the pledged. What a tragic precedent that would set for future elections, to have the party elite overturn the will of the voters. I think everyone knows this at this point, except Clinton. She is coming across as a true villain.

May 5, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  79. Nicole for Obama

In my opinion if the worst case scenario were to happen (which would be Obama losing in both primaries) it would not change the fact that he is still winning in pledged delegates, popular votes, states won and dramatically closing in on her superdelegate lead. The fact remains that Obama has already won the democratic nomination. Hilary needs to learn that although it is great to be a fighter and to not want to give up, you should pick your battles. In the famous words of Kenny Rogers, "know when to walk away and know when to run".

May 5, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  80. Adam

Adam
    Miami, Florida

May 5, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  81. Tom in PA

there important in the sense that the people of IN and NC get a vote. However there not really that important in who wins the nomination unless Clinton can get 66 percent of the vote tomorrow night. I just don't see her getting 55 percent in either State so Obama in the worse case will get around 90 delegates and 100 + in the best case. Which puts him closer to 2025.

May 5, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  82. Charles Douglas Lemay

Are all you people crazy?

Here's the way it works, and the ONLY way it works:

If she winds up winning more delegates than him,
    super and pledged combined, she wins.

If she doesn't, she loses.

Those are the DNC rules, and that's the ONLY way
    this thing is going to be decided.

It can't get any simpler than that, doesn't ANYBODY
    understand that?

Sheesh...

May 5, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  83. mary grace

Obama is ahead, he should get the nomination. Shame on voters in IN and NC that fall for the shanigans of Clinton and Co. Be brave, fellow Democrates!! Dare not to be fooled, for once, vote with integrity!! The last 2 times the country fell for this kind of crap, we got Bush!!

mary grace in Florida

May 5, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  84. Travis

They're just as important as all the other states Jack. They'll have there say, but when all is said and done Obama will be ahead in both popular vote and delegates. Letting this play out will allow there to be an elected nominee. Once the votes are in the Super Dels will back thier choice and that will be Obama. He will win the nomination by 2025 delagates and eleminate Hillary's chances of stealing it at the convention. Hillary will need like 3 to 1 Super Delegates to come her way if she is to win this thing. Just looking at last week and today should tell us that that won't happen. It's hard to win when long time supporters are leaving you for the other guy.

May 5, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  85. Takiyah

What is considered to be a win in the election according to the Democratic party?

a. Popular vote
    b. Number of States won
    c. Delegates
    d. Super Delegates
    e. All of the above

May 5, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  86. tim from pa.

indiana and north carolina are very important and so is every state.we are talking about the fate of our country for at least the next 4 years.we cant afford another bush by electing mccain.we can not afford a proven liar by electing hillary.we need to go with a new guy on the block with a good message. old politics has gotten us where we are today.

May 5, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  87. ken

If Barack Obama can win one of the two states, which he is likely to win North Carolina and Hillary wins Indiana, then nothing has changed. If Obama wins both states it is over for Hillary. If Hillary wins both states, then she would definitely claim momentum and would try to use it to sway superdelegates.

May 5, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  88. Sharon in Florida

When Clinton had a huge lead in Pennsylvania and Obama started to cut into the lead your questions were posed steeped with negativity over a small victory for Clinton, now that the tables are reversed you are already cheering Obama's rebound, his comeback. If you are biased for one candidate isn't the right thing to do is publically support your guy? Pretending to pose thought provoking questions is a silly ruse to disguise your obession with backhanded slaps at Hillary. I dare you Mr Cafferty to go back a few months and read your questions, you are obessed with taking down Senator Clinton.

May 5, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  89. Calvin in Raleigh, NC

IN and NC are very important. Obama is the heir apparent nominee. As we all know he won't close the deal with the pledge candidates, so it will come down to the super delegates. He needs to win and keep winning to weaken all aruguments Clinton wants to make. Why? Clinton will never drop out. Plus, Obama has withstood many trials lately. Guess what? He is still standing. It would take plague to destroy him at this point. However, the major news networks have turned on Obama. The news media has lost its creditability. Good thing there is http://www.youtube.com and politico.com.

May 5, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  90. indePundit, Las Vegas

The May 6 could be provide the tipping point that forces the media, superdelegates and DNC officials to finally face the realities of the math and to publicly admit that this so-called primary race is effectively over. Simply put, Senator Clinton needs at least a 25 point win in BOTH contests in order to avoid statistical elimination. Anything short of mammoth margins of victory for Senator Clinton will amount to a resounding call for an end to the nominating process. Enough already!

May 5, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  91. Randolph

Before the voters go to the polls in Indiana and North Carolina, they should check out Wikipedia's page on Hillary Clinton's campaign chairman Terry McAuliffe. The skeletons in McAuliffe's closet with regard to his investments in Global Crossing in 1997 and the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers in 1999 are far more damaging to Hillary's campaign when compared to the Jeremiah Wright controversy in Obama's!

Please Jack, for the sake of our country, make the media bring out these issues about Terry McAuliffe before it's too late!

Randolph
    Lexington, Kentucky

May 5, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  92. DAD in Hollis, NH

If Obama wins both, even by seven votes, he will get the nomination. If Clinton wins both, this very tiring race will continue a little further until Obama gets the nomination. I do not want to be around if the nomination is stolen by Clinton due to questionable and ruthless political tactics. That’s not the type of President America wants or needs.

May 5, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  93. Linda

They are very important. If Obama wins N.C. by less than 5% (given its demographics) and Clinton wins Indiana by close to double digits, then it will be clear that Obama is not electable in the GE.

It means that the media's attempts to "frame and spin" the emerging negative facts about Obama is collapsing.

I for one say thank goodness it's happening in the primary and not the GE where the republicans will take off Obama's head. Look at your own headlines, Republicans are already using Obama to shore up their candidates downticket!

May 5, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  94. Steven

Jack, I think that the delegate count is all that matters. If both Indiana and North Carolina are close then everything stays the same. Senater Obama is still in the lead regardless of the outcome. If Senater Clinton wins both states by a narrow margin this will only prolong her politcal misery of thinking she can overcome him in the delegate count which is impossible. It will be interesting to watch who wins, but in the end nothing changes until the superdelegate vote.

Thanks,

Steven, Kentucky

May 5, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  95. Patrick

Jack,
    Vote wise and delegate wise Indiana and North Carolina really aren't that important because they aren't going to have an effect either way they go. Perception wise however, they are crucial. If Obama takes both states tomorrow Clinton's argument and the "Great Clinton Political Machine" will or should come to a screeching halt. If they split, which they more than likely will, hello June 3rd and beyond. Who knows though? Clinton somehow manages to overcome the worst of all odds. Either way I believe Obama has the nomination in the bag but it's just a matter of when. My plea ; "Indiana please stop the madness; stop the Clintons!"

Patrick St. Louis MO

May 5, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  96. Bill from Wake Forest U., NC

Jack,
    These states don't matter unless Clinton wins both of them, in which case all previous states except for California, New York and Ohio will be pronounced irrelevant again, it will be evident that Obama is an unelectable elitist, and the media will continue to run stories about the campaign going all the way to the convention.

Remarkably, this all will take place despite the fact that Obama's lead in popular vote and pledged delegates will remain the about the same as it has been for over two months now.

May 5, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  97. Edward

Latest Zogby polls have Obama ahead in both states.

May 5, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  98. Claude

Jack,
    By winning Indiana and North Carolina (which I think is going to happen), Obama will kick Hilary out of the race and eradicate the Clinton dynasty and hunger for the White House. That will be: More States, more popular votes, and more super delegates. After that Edwards will endorse him (without any choice) and the rest of the super delegates will just do so.

May 5, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  99. Lyn-Woodbridge, NJ

Very IMPORTANT for Hillary to win them both since Obama cannot close the deal with ALL the MONEY and ADDs he has.
    After Feb 4

May 5, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  100. Rob Tulsa, OK

Jack, each state is critical to both candidates as they try to build their cases to the superdelegates. I believe Obama will recover after the field day the press had with Rev Wright. I think most people are tired of hearing about it and at the end of the day, most people don't think it is a serious issue afffecting electability.

If I walked away from everyone I disagreed with, I'd always be shopping for a new pair of shoes.

May 5, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  101. Mary

You're right on track, Jack. Indiana & North Carolina are only important 'psychologically' to both candidates. Clinton will hang on until the end & Barack Obama will continue to lead in delegates acquired, states won & in the popular vote. Barack 'will be' the nominee but Clinton is 'in it' not to 'win in' but as a spoiler. Hopefully, her 'crash & burn' tactics will continue to turn people off. Obama in 08!

May 5, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  102. Lynn

Both states are very important. It will give an indication of how electable they are in the general election. Now that we know more about Obama & his judgment, let the voters speak.

May 5, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  103. mitchell martin ark.

this will close the deal for obama.although the goal post has been moved back,over and over, since barack's win in texas,[he won more delegates],i think the 'supers' will begin to flock towards obama,after they see no real gains for sen. clinton,as far as pledged delegates go,after tomorrow.i hope to hear hillary's concession speech,by the end of the week,before she does anymore damage to the democratic party.what is increasingly clear, in recent polls, is that obama's base supporters are not abandoning ship.we haven't lost 'hope',yet.

May 5, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  104. austin

jack,senator obama is a serious problem for the dems,they better hope that clinton wins in indiana and north carolina,the baggage he is carrying with his bitter comments and the patriotic and rev wright issues is candy for the republicans in the general election,you can bet your bottom dollar that there is more to come and dont be suprised if they are holding back till the general,i think he is a lovely guy who should go on the ticket with clinton and gain experience in the white house,this should clear the way for an obama presidency in four years.

May 5, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  105. Jackie

While Hillary Clinton battles Barack Obama on the campaign trail, a judge in Los Angeles is quietly preparing to set a trial date in a $17 million fraud suit that aims to expose an alleged culture of widespread corruption by the Clintons and the Democratic Party. Hillary! Uncensored – 6 Million Internet Views Stopped Hillary's Juggernaut‏ on google is worst that Reverend Jeremiah Wright controversy.

May 5, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  106. tony

Even if Obama looses both (which is unlikely), I still believe he should be elected on the basis that HC is unable to overtake him in the popular vote.

We have always known she would need to win by 60% in every state since a couple months back and so with a key state like NC in Obama's back pocket (allong with a couple others), the odds are significanlty against her...

On a seperate subject: This negative campaigning on the part of Hillary is painfull to watch and destructive to the party. In addition, her references that Obama's campaign is negativeas well is not correct as there is no tangible benefits or reasoning behind why he would be negative at this late stage in the game and with a insurmoutable lead.

Obama is only guilty of responding to negative campaigns and not initiating them which is an important disitinction.

Hillary on the other hand has everything to gain by using negative tactics and drawing obama in to her level of antics.

I love the way she alway indicates the two sides will come together in the end since their difference pail in comparision to the republicans. Her only intention there is to reassure voters that her negative campaigning will nto impact the nov elections.

May 5, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  107. FB, Seattle

She needed to make a dent in Obama's delegate lead back in Ohio/ Texas...then it was Pennsylvania...Now it's N.C. Indian...Well she didn't and N.C./ Indiana won't matter either. This is all but over. Come Wednesday Obama will have the same or a larger delegate lead. Clinton is hoping to assassinate Obama's character but at the same time she's causing a tremendous amount of damage to the democratic party. The DNC being the private organization that it is, should start doing some in-house damage control and shut down the circus for the season.

May 5, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  108. Rosalynd Florida

Senator Obama does not have to win either state but he will win NC at least. A split in delegates between the two will not change the math. The fat lady sang for Clinton some time ago. She is just stubborn and the media is helping her in her delusions. It is so over for Clinton, Obama is the Democratic Nominee.

May 5, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  109. Gav Cali

If Obama doesnt get the nomine, I'll be sad. Juvinilles will riot, and who knows I might get free stuff.

May 5, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  110. Carol in Durham Maine

Both are important, but it will not stop the campaigning. Hillary will stomp on through June no matter what happens.
    I could only hope the common sense folks of Indiana would see through Hillary and vote other wise. But people don't have time and the pundits are continuing to fill the airwaves with their favorite hate subject Rev. Wright.
    Rev. Wright is only an issue because the media are making it a full time job. I don't notice the coverage equally so on Rev. Hagee or Rev.Robertsons who both have said just as vile things as Wright. But, excuse me, they must be ok because they have white GOP candidates to root for.
    BTW...I'm a hard working white over 60 woman.... who voted for Obama in Maine which is 98% white. We carried Obama here.

May 5, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  111. Gibran Armijo

It is essential, math alone is not the correct measure for success, in order to compete at full steam ahead against the Republican candidate in November, he has to emerge strong, with a solid support from the bases, the Democratic Party and the over-all population.

Its not enough that Bush is at history's lowest rating since McCain has had time to rally the republicans while distancing himself from Bush. A victory is essential, period.

Gibran, from Madrid (Spain)

May 5, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  112. Arlene B. in NC.

I think my vote here in NC. is as important as someone in Iowa, etc. You in the media want this over for your sake, not ours! Cnn, msnbc, nbc, and others have wanted the inexperienced Obama to cake-walk his way to the Whitehouse! Why you people want a political infant, so badly is beyond my comprehention. Don't you media folks think of your safety? Obama has no idea what he is going to do, once he might get this thing, so I guess we would have to assume the extreme left of the Democratic party, (Led by BIG TED, and the crowd he controls) will dangle Obama from puppet strings! That crowd knows they can't lead Hillary around in circles. I hope the far-left, does not take my party down the sewer! One vote in NC. for Hillary!

May 5, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  113. Wendy. San Rafael, CA

No to much. Unless Hillary were to win both by over 20 points, she has no chance of catching up in delegate count. If she cared more for the party than her own power, she would drop out and let the party heal.

Of course I won't hold my breath. She is in a death struggle and hasn't learned the meaning of the word, "acceptance". A sad end for what is left of the Clinton legacy.

Wendy, San Rafael, CA

May 5, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  114. Ronnie in South TX

If Obama wins both states, they will be "Super" important. The "Supers" can all go home and catch some zzzzz's because hopefully we will have our nominee.

May 5, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  115. Anna, SW Missouri

Indiana and North Carolina are no more important than any other state. Barack Obama seems to be the only candidate that realizes that we are the UNITED States of America. As far as Hillary is concerned, the only states that exist are the states that she has won. She keeps saying let all of the states vote, but then says that if she wins in the last states that makes her the winner. It does not.

May 5, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  116. Lee

There is no way Obama can win both states this time, get real !

May 5, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  117. ashley

Thank you Mr Cafferty for an accurate observation of the facts. You are one of the few on CNN who generally seems impartial. I haven't heard of any respectable journalist plainly state that Obama is winning with a significant lead as opposed to saying" Polls say its a tie " or Hillary, Hillary, Hillary" Thanks for the reminder. I think a win in either or both is important for Barack ,so that the media won't be able to Jedi-Mind trick America into thinking Hillary is winning and Obama is old news.

May 5, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  118. Sue Filutze

Well Jack, I guess we will know after tomorrow, the press really did a number on Obama and spent six days reporting on Wright, like it was some kind of nuclear accident! Even if he pulls a win out in both States Hillary won't leave, she's staying until the last dog howels, good grief I cannot wait for this too be over, it's kind of like being sent to a foreign country without knowing the language or anyone that lives there and trying to find your way back home!

May 5, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  119. Phil

Hi Jack,

As an ex-pat Brit, I've been following the Democratic race to the nomination with baited breath, it's utterly fascinating. Without revealing which candidate I personally favor – I know I don't have a vote, but I do have an opinion! – I wonder what has happened to John Edwards? Why does he not come out of his bunker and take a side? Whoever he picks, he would be a shoo-in for VP, and top of the ticket for 2016.
    What do you think?

May 5, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  120. Beneia

It is going to take a lot to change the dynamics of the race. Hillary needs a psychological victory, and that will not happen without her winning both states by a significant margin. At this point, her campaign is on life support, if she does not win both contests, someone needs to pull the plug!

May 5, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  121. Mike S., New Orleans, Louisiana

The primaries are no longer relevant. It all comes down to who gives the best pitch to the superdelegates. This race is too close to call and it will be no matter who wins which delegates from here on out.

Let's get ready to rumble!

May 5, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  122. charles

It think senator obama needs to win north carolina and lndiana to show that he´s still in control and more electable than senator clinton.It´s time she accepts her fate and move on to help obama with he´s campaign against president mcbush or say bush´s thrid term . The amercian economy is affecting us all ,obama has the ability to change things because he´s previous judgement shows he is an agent of change.

Germany

May 5, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  123. Deb, Austin, TX

Jack,

Indiana and North Carolina are Very important!

I think the results will show that Obama is no longer a viable candidate, he can't win in November. He is damaged goods and will never be elected in the general election.

I know you and the left media can't believe it!

We will not elect a person to our highest office that is actually an Anti-American!

Hillary 08

May 5, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  124. Vera

The holiday gas tax that Hillary and McSame is talking about .When are they going to put this in place ,as neather one of them can put in place until they are President ,which they will not be ,but how stupid do they think people are.? They are just using this as a political stunt.

May 5, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  125. Nikki from Somerset, New Jersey

Jack,

They're important. An Obama win in both will make me VERY VERY HAPPY.

May 5, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  126. Missouri Ladybug

Gee Jack,
    If the eliminating the federal gas tax for the summer driving months doesn't make any difference to the voters then how about raising it by 18 cents for the summer then, we could get the roads and bridges fixed faster and we can put more workers to work and boost the economy. After all you will only be raising the taxes by $28.00 for the year.

May 5, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  127. Los Angeles teacher

It's only important because the media keeps hyping it to keep their ratings up. Generally people are burned out on democratic primary coverage.

May 5, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  128. Dee, St. Louis MO

Hey! Can we stop with all of the "Hillary should stay in so that every vote can count" crap???!!! Every vote will count whether she's running or not! The remaining states will STILL have their primaries/caucuses and democracy will live on if Hillary accepts the obvious instead of destroying her party.

The benefit would be to the rest of the country as we would finally get to rid ourselves of her detestable campaign! Should she keep threatening nuclear warfare on both her party and opponent, as well as foreign countries, I'm not sure we would survive to see any new president installed!!!!

May 5, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  129. Maria Boggiano

Obama is showing signs of a rebounce. We are all so tired of this campaign so if Obama won both primaries, everyone would welcome it. It would give the green light to delegates to come forward and end this tomorrow.

May 5, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  130. Evan

It's all about three things: momentum, momentum, and more momentum. Look at super tuesday for instance, the two come out in virtually a dead heat, however, Obama came out with the Momentum because he started the election with something like 10% points, and had brought that up to a virtual tie with Hillary. After that he knocks off eleven straight primaries. It's all interlinked.

Personally, I think a loss in Indiana hurts Obama more than a loss in North Carolina hurts Clinton. Lets face it. Clinton has been losing primaries in the south for the entire primary season, but for Obama to lose a neighboring state to Illinois...it would have to be painful, not that any loss isn't. I think that just goes to show you the disconection he has with working class voters, and the fact that he can't electrify them. How, does he expect to win in November when he alienates one of the Democrats most important bases? So, come on Indiana let's change this election. Clinton 08!

Evan; Scottsburg, IN

May 5, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  131. Dana Johnson Kensington Maryland

I think between the two states, Barack will add to his total delegate lead and as Roland Martin says, that's what counts. Actually I am more concerned that with the Economy being the number one issue, we have one republican candidate that thinks he'll know enough to be president if he reads a book on economics and a democratic candidate who thinks that the people who wrote the books are to elite to listen to and plans to wing it (I guess ) once she gets in office. Only one candidate actually seems to know something about economics and is used to listening to what intelligent people have to say.

May 5, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  132. Ivana in miami

NO JACK – you're forgetting about Michigan AND Florida – as a florida resident, I can tell you that we are NOT going quietly. Hillary HAS won more popular votes – and Howard Dean made pretty damn sure in advance that they wouldn't be counted. He's not going to get away with it so Obama can RUN away with the nomination. Everyone NOW knows Hillary is the strongest candidate.

May 5, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  133. Ursula Pleasantville, New Jersey

Jack, If Obama wins both Indiana and North Carolina, it will be the end of the line for Hillary. If you're a sane observer, it's pretty clear that Senator Obama has REALLY been on top of his game in these last critical days. Clinton, in contrast, has appeared more irrational and desperate than ever. Hasn't she sort of morphed into a Republican recently?

As for the "electability" poll.... That sounds like a bunch of bull. In fact, the polls have been predictably unreliable more than once during the primaries. It's time for a home run and I hope Barack hits one way, WAY, out of the ballpark of expectations tomorrow!

May 5, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  134. greenhx

Not very important at all this race should have been over months ago.

P.S. I not planning on voting for either of them.

May 5, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  135. Larry in Gainesville, Fla

It's huge because this is not a horse race. In a horse race all that matters is where you finish, but in politics "how" is every bit as important. Obama can't simply hang on to his delegate lead, he must turn the tide to prove his electability.

May 5, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  136. Toni - Atlanta

I think a win for Obama for either or both are important. I suggest the paramedics be on standby though......

Obama '08

May 5, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  137. Steve Matheson from Long island

Very Jack,
    I think despite the comments made from Rev wright Obama will still win these two contests by 10 point convincing the Superdelegates that he's worthy of taking John McCain out in November,

May 5, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  138. BOBBIE

it is very important and i want obama to win.. he is the better candidate. hillary is pandering to oil issue. i hope those in indiana see through her.

May 5, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  139. Rick-Westlake, OH

Yes, Jack, I agree that the Democrats nomination rules are "stupid", as you put it. If the Dems used Republican, winner take all, rules, Clinton would not be the nominee by over 300 votes.
    What do you make of that, Jack!!??
    Rick-Westlake, OH

May 5, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  140. Truth Seeker

The most important thing that will be revealed is if the voters have finally figured out what a complete Liar Hillary is! If the voters have finally seen through her patronizing nonsense it will show in the vote totals. She is still going negative. She is desperate and hopes to fool many. Not This Time perhaps.

May 5, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  141. Alan, Buxton Maine

They may be important to those who still think Hillary has a chance at the nomination. There is no way she can legitimately win at this point. She obviously thinks she can con the DNC into counting Michigan and Florida plus call in some favors from the super-delegates to give it to her. Good luck!

May 5, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  142. Real Change

VERY important Jack, you need to go actually read the rules, they do not say whoever is ahead, they say whoever can get to 2025. Big difference. We are taking this to the convention if we have to, we are not going to turn over the Democratic party to a left wing, racist, America hater with no real experience.

May 5, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  143. Celina Bean

Obama's win is both North Carolina and Indiana are very important, however, he does not have to win either one, as long as he has a strong showing in both states.

Frankfort, Kentucky

May 5, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  144. Lowry Martin, II

Hillary has every right to continue this race. She is behind by less than four percent of the pledged delegates. There are too many questions about electability, leadership, and experience in the democratic race. Both candidates have the right and opportunity to continue to make their cases for our votes. The fact of the matter is that it is not merely the States that Obama has won, but who is voting and where those votes are coming from. A state that has few Democratic voters and consistently votes Republican is not as important as a state like Ohio, which is a bell weather state, with a large electoral college delegation. It is troubling to me that Obama has not won a major state other than his home state, such as California, Texas, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, or New York. This race is good for our party, our country, and for our principles. When the dust has settled, the democratic party will be stronger and more prepared to present its case to the citizens of our great country. What is impressive is the increasing demonization of Hillary Clinton, who despite insidiously veiled media biais and calls from Obama supporters to withdraw, continues to wage a very impressive battle to make her case for the Presidency.

May 5, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  145. Pat

It makes no difference, and Americans should learn how to do the math.
    Americans do not choose the President, what is the matter with voters!!!!!!!!! she will likely be the nominee, because the superdelegates need to keep their jobs and will choose to make Hillary the winner. Sad situation.
    Get ready for McCain president – more of Bush– Bill and Hillary testicular fortitude, watch out guys!!!

Pat
    Denver

May 5, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  146. Amy-GA

It's really important for him to win on Tuesday, he's going to seem weakened if he loses. We democrats are not united and I don't believe we will be after Aug. Half of us don't like Obama and the DNC is counting on us to reunite together if he wins...It's not going to happen as many of us just don't trust or believe in Obama so I think he loses regardless of Tues..

147. Tom Aikman

Its only important if Obama wins both because that would put an end to the horse race. If they split, it just makes it harder for Hillary to see the light. Either way its over unless Hillary can win both and I just wish the Media will do their jobs and tell the American people the truth. The race is over stop trying to drive up ratings.

148. Janet Jackson

North Carolina and Indiana are important, however until they resolve Michigan and Florida we don't know anything. You cannot disenfranchise two States in an election (our founding fathers would become sick to the stomach at such stupidity & illegal acts).
    Obama did not want revotes in these two important and large States as he does not win big States even though they would of been paid for, he does not want to debate and he is third in line to come up w/a gas tax so he's opposed to it. Toooo many issues that don't sound good about Obama to me.
    I've change dmy mind about Obama – he's not for real folks.
    Janet

149. Brian from Los Angeles

Let's face it whether Obama or Clinton win tomorrow, neither will in in the Fall. Neither candidate will win in November. The Hillary supporters, who have momentum, who have soltuions, not speeches, who has won all the incredibly important battleground states with McCain, who has been running against someone that turned the race into a popularity contest by agreeming with all of her suggestions of what to do, the incredibly stupid decision to disenfranchise Michigan and Florida because they had their primary earlier than Mr. Dean wanted (big deal Dean), will result int he Hillary supports feeling so cheated by the process and the outcome that they will not vote for this untested, media preferred Barack and instead stay home in November or vote for someone that they can identify moreso then Barack, John McCain.

Oh did I also mention, Rev. Wright, Rezko, or Bill Ayers. Democrats you have to sleep in the bed you've made and it feels like a bed of nails.

150. Calvin

Obama is still the likely nominee. Things changed not because of his lack of talent, but because the media has went overboard with Rev. Wright. Clinton's pastor has a history that we all seem to have forgotten about and no one has questioned her position with her pastor. I think Obama is still on his way to be President of The United States and for the first time, the name United will be true to its meaning. Thank you for your time.

151. Dennis Cleveland Oh

Obama has it no matter what. But, a big Clinton win in the two states could move the superdelegates in her direction but that would be a change that would result in a broken Democratic party and alienated black voters. Pray that doesn't happen.

152. Austin Redmon

Obama will win North Carolina but Indiana is a toss up. If Obama wins Indiana then Clinton will have no more momentum to help her in West Virginia, Kentucky, or Oregon. If Clinton wins Indiana by a margin greater than 8 points then she may prove to be a formidable opponent in the upcoming races.

153. Rebecca DePaoli

Clinton is beating McCain in a head to head battle, but Barack is tied. This answers the electibility question. These primaries are important, but so are the voices from Florida and Michigan.

154. Linda Richards

Very important and yet unimportant. Seems like every Tuesday is Super Tuesday till the next one. And the pundits–now that's an area where jobs are being created. Too bad their opinion is just as good or bad as the next guy's. Linda in Woodbury

155. Jim

The Indiana and North Carolina primaries are important only in that they afford Hillary an additional opportunity to fragment the Democratic Paarty, to damge Obama irreparably for the general election, and to give her a last-gasp shot in 2012.
    Jim
    Scottsdale, AZ

156. Paolo

For Obama, I don't think a loss in either state won't matter and it will only buy time, not the nomination for Hillary Clinton. A win in both states though will pave the way to end the race soon. He's poised to win the nomination regardless of what happens today.

157. T.solomon Perris Ca

They are as important as the kentucky derby on friday they dubed eight bells as hillary's horse and it looks like that on wed they both will have something in common? "THE NIGHTY NIGHT BELL"

158. Susan from Florida

This fight is essentially tied as far as voter support, but Obama is ahead in pledged delegates because he played the small state caucus systems better than Clinton. If Clinton keeps winning primaries, it may be indicative that she is the stronger general election candidate. The stronger general election candidate should get the nomination.

The stakes in this election are huge. In a contest this close, there is no reason to give Obama the nomination just because he won on points and has a few more delegates than Clinton. States won is a stupid measure. Cows don't vote, people do. Those square states out west are not equal to a New York, California or Florida.

159. Vivian, Camillus, NY

Jack, if Hillary has a win in Indiana, it will be a small one. She probably will lose N. Carolina. Her win will not be important because Obama will still be in the lead. If Obama wins both, it may be an important clue to the undeclared superdelegates to move to Obama.
    Let's hope so.

160. V

I think they are very important. They will show exactly where the race really stands.

161. LisaC. in Bham

Dudes and Dudettes:
    1) Hillary can win Indiana by 100% of the votes and still fall short in the total delegates needed to beat Barack.

2) She can win North Carolina, 70% to 30%, and still fall behind Barack in delegates.

3)as a matter of fact, she can win all the remaining states 57% to Barack's 43% and still fall behind in delegates by 87.

4)Super Tuesday did it! It was over and done then. Finished!

5)The heavy attacks against Barack is an age old strategy; attack and eliminate the stronger candidate early on, challenge the weakest in the main presidential race. They didn't expect Barack to make it this far because he's a black man running for President of the US (actually black and white), nevertheless, he's much further than expected. The attacks came too late, it should have happened before Super Tuesday. In the simple words of Homer Simpson...doh!

People, there is no need to read between the lines. CNN has given away the GOP strategy.

Take heed, move on, support the candidate, enjoy!

162. john gorman

Brooklyn NY
    They are important since the public is finally learing about Barak Obama. Had the press done their job, he would have been exposed earlier and the process would have been concluded by now. Instead, the press treated him with kid gloves and never revealed the truth about his wacky pastor and his friendships with 60's radicals. So these latest primaries will show if middle america is ready to take a chance on this man. My guess is that they are not.

163. Angie, MN

Not important unless you really believe the Clinton fairy tale. The super delegates should carefully consider whether they are willing to back a devisive, dishonest, manipulative, and old style candidate! If they back Obama they risk a one way ticket to Bosnia without flack jackets!

164. Chuck B Coastal NC

ALL states are important,I believe that OBAMA will be the nominee to go against McCain in November. He is our best shot at CHANGE.

165. James W. Blevins

The remaining contests are critical, lots changed with Reverend Wright. Some bigots won't believe his repudiation of Reverend Wright many rational people won't accept his repudiation of Reverend Wright. At this point, Clinton has an excellent chance.

Jim, Craig, CO

May 5, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  166. Pili (Kaneohe, Hawaii)

Jack!

This should seal the deal for Barack Obama! Please?! For Americans of the Democratic Party, the citizens of Indiana and North Carolina please put an end to it already!

Much Mahalos,

Pili

Kaneohe, Hawaii

167. Mike,

Every state is important Jack, but I think the real question should be,, Am I the only one who heard Hillary Clinton promise a nuclear war with Iran should they attack Israel? Why would anyone vote for this crazy lying Bit**, WHY?

168. Bonnie from Florida

Dear Jack,
    At this point in the game, every primary is crucial. As someone from Florida, I and millions others, still want our votes counted. I've been a life-long Democrat, and if Florida is dismissed I will still vote in the general election – but I will write in Hillary Clinton's name. I and so many others, will not be denied our constitutional rights, and shame on the DNC and Barak Obama's camps for trying to dismiss the Florida votes simply because Hillary won fair and square. The only person who actually campained in Florida was Barak Obama, with three weeks of long television commercials shown on CNN and other stations. Both Obama and Clinton need to win the primaries, but if Florida doesn't count, watch out!

169. Luke

These states will make Obama the nominee tomorrow night.

Once the primaries are over Obama will be only 100 votes short of 2,025.

However they assign the Michigan and Florida delegates, Obama will be over 2,025.

170. Marilyn

Hillary is going to win the nomination – how many times do I have to say this? Jack, just face facts; Obama will not be elected if he wins the nomination and the Democratic Party wants to have a President this time around. Obama is not ready to be President. Hillary is ready and will be the next President.

171. Raad

I think no matter what polls said senator Obama will in North Carolina, Indiana and all the coming contests moving to November where he will beat John Maccain and you will find senator Clinton still running.!!! Clintons believe the white house is registered under there name they just love it.

May 5, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  172. Jack C

Until you reach 2025 delegates you have not won.
    We need all States involved as that should be Constitutional.
    Jack

May 5, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  173. Forest N.C

Indiana and North Carolina are not important at all Obama has the lead and Hilary cant catch him. When will you guys in the news begin to be honest an tell the people that Hilary cant win no matter what happens in
    Indiana and North Carolina?

May 5, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  174. donna

Barack is the winner. Hillary needs to show class and quit the race.

If she doesn't quit the race I'm concerned that her career may be over and she will have made it decades before another woman can win. We must all play by the rules.

May 5, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  175. sid

Every single race is important in one way or the other. Obama will still be in the lead what so ever. Clinton's think that the nation/Dems Owe's her the nomonation. She will keep playing the game until the end. Only the brave can face the reality and whatever the outcome 5/6 reflect I dont think that Clinton is brave enough to face the reality.

May 5, 2008 at 4:20 pm |
  176. Charles

Look let's be real here. The only reason why the race is still close is because, alot of repulicans are voting for her.
    They are not going to vote for her in November. Matter of fact the if he wins major corporations lose.

May 5, 2008 at 4:20 pm |
  177. Angela S. Ft. myers Fl

All of our votes should count, even mine. I went to vote on the day the government told me to and now you say my opinion doesn't count.

May 5, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  178. John

Since Hillary Clinton is behind, she can't just pick and choose what states she is going to win. She has to win all the remaining states convincingly to be credible.

Therefore, if she loses North Carolina, it's pretty much over for her.

May 5, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  179. Kathy in Florida

Every state is important.........

Jack I thank you so much for being one of the few on CNN that show no bias to any candidate. Your side kick there, Wolf. He may as well wear a Go Hillary sign on his forehead.

No way Hillary will win both.

May 5, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  180. BILL

If Clinton wins both states Obama's nomination should come into question. Unfortunately this campaign has come down to white working class people and who do we think they will vote for come November. Whomever gets the nod a large group will feel cheated. Who has the better chance of winning back Reagan Democrats? This race has been so nasty on the blogs like this anyone who reads them will vote against Obama(Clinton) just out of spite. The candidates have been ok. The voters on each side have shown zero class. As a result of this garbage I have become an independent and will vote accordingly in November.

May 5, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  181. MM - Michigan

I don't believe at this point it really matters.

While Obama may be leading in every other aspect of this race as well as continuing to close the gap among the delegates, I don't believe he'll ever in reality be graced with the democratic nomination.

In this 21st Century when one would like to believe we've come a long way in the realm of racial discrimination, look again, we've not come very far at all; in some senses, we've actually gone backward. If Obama does indeed secure the nomination, he will have won this battle only to likely lose the war in the end.

Sadly, there are entirely too many small/closed minded, xenophobic people in this country openly stating that if Obama does receive the nomination, they'll vote for McCain, which, however appalling, is disgustingly true. Hence question of electability. And that, at least in large part and unfortunately with good reason, will be what binds the delegates. Will this country withstand another Republican president?

What I'm wondering is how much truth there is to the idea that the super-delegates will chose a democratic candidate other than Clinton or Obama, such as has been speculated, Al Gore perhaps?

May 5, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  182. LEO

I THINK ABAMA SHOULD DROP OUT HE SHOULD SEE THE WRIGHTING ON THE WALL BY THE 05/07/08 HE COULD WORK FOR
    TEAMSTERS UNION–FOR ORGANIZED CRIME

May 5, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  183. Jack - Las Vegas

Unless either candidate can get over 65% of the vote, then they are at a tie still, and with Obama in the lead, Clinton needs to bow out. She is just tearing the party to bits, and lets face it – she cannot win in November. Not even if it were Bush going for a third term.

May 5, 2008 at 5:48 pm |
  184. Jo

Clinton needs to win Indiana and North Carolina –but let's get real. Obama cannot win against McCain. And, some of the superdelegates that endorsed Obama are from states and precincts that Hillary won. Hillary also won the popular vote in Texas (which should be the vote that counts), as well as Florida and Michigan!

Obama is pandering to get superdelegate votes while making nasty comments about working class Americans to elitest bankers in San Francisco. Obviously, he his making promises that he can't keep.

Obama is just like Teddy. If he doesn't win now - he can't win later either. So, he is just wasting our time. Down with B. O. Vote Hillary! She can deliver the knock out punch to McCain! Clinton '08!

P.S. If Obama did not win your state and you have state superdelegates that have pledged him their support - you know what you have to do! Vote against them in the next election! If they don't care about your voice, they should not represent you in Washington.

May 5, 2008 at 5:48 pm |
  185. George

North Carolina – the best you can do for the country is vote for Hillary and end this fight. She's the best candidate. She's beaten Obama and we know she'll tear McCain apart. Obama is the WRIGHT candidate. Hillary is the RIGHT candidate.

May 5, 2008 at 5:48 pm |
  186. Morphious Waters

Jack, Indiana and NC are important in the this way. If these two states follow Pennsylvania and vote for Hillary Clinton, it will prove that we are truly a nation in decline. If Americans of all creeds and colors can't see that she is a do anything, say anything politician we are most certainly doomed. Hillary is a shape shifting, fork tongued and flawed woman. If she and the Republicans are allowed to use this rediculous, Rev. Wright, elitist, racial crap to blind us we will prove once and for all that America may never exorcise the demons of her past. Barack Obama is the right man at the right time.

May 5, 2008 at 5:49 pm |
  187. Kathy WI

By the time Hill and Ob get done exposing and trashing each other mabye the whole country will know that neither of them is any good.
    Cant we have a short time fix and work on the long term fix at the same time?
    The oil companies do Not set the gas prices. The market does.
    Jeez,.
    Delegates can change their minds now or at convention. Hillary knows that so she is staying in. She knows a lot of people have changed their minds since the early votes. The delegates will look at who has the best chance against McCain and it sure isn't Ob. He will not be able to carry the big states who have the most electoral votes. Today Iran said they weren't going to talk to anyone and do as they please about their nukes. So much for Obs talking plan.
    So, let Iran take over Iraq and then you will hear the whining about gas prices.
    Face it. Oil is the engine of our economy. Without it we have nothing.
    We can't sit around 20 years waiting for alternatives, which we don't know will work and would be more costly than oil any way.
    Tree huggers...let us drill our own.

May 5, 2008 at 5:49 pm |
  188. Anna

Its too close to help Hillary at all. It will be the same as PA.
    That is unless Obama does take Indiana and NC. If he does Hillary has already changed the finish line. She is claiming that it is not 2024 delegates to win but more like 2200 +. She knows Obama is getting close and wants MI and FL seated. Even if they are he should still be ahead.
    That to me suggests she thinks she is in real trouble here.

May 5, 2008 at 5:50 pm |
  189. jagdish , Vancouver , BC, Canada

Obama will have more delegates etc but Clinton will be the nominee

what a pity but nobody is willing to come out and say openly the sad truth that US overall does not want a black president...plain and
    simple....

May 5, 2008 at 6:36 pm |
  190. Keevan D. Morgan

jack:

1. the reason we wait until ALL the votes are cast is to see who actually ends up with the popular vote lead. puerto rico alone may cast 2,000,000 votes and hillary may get 2 out of 3 there, giving her a good final lead over barack in the popular vote. it may not happen, but it is well within the realm of possibility.

2. the polls are all over the place, as usual, but it appears obama's poll average in north carolina has shrunk from 15.5 to about 7 in the past 10 days. i don't know that constitutes leaving the reverend wright controversy behind him. but polls don't matter–votes do–so let's see how barack does in indiana and north carolina and then we'll have a better read on whether he has weathered that storm.

keevan d. morgan

May 5, 2008 at 6:36 pm |
  191. Erik

Why do the media and the Obama campaign keep using number of states won as a metric? Seriously? That is not now, nor has it ever been, a factor in determining the nominee or the eventual president. The Obama campaign should focus on factors that matter and stop trying to rewrite the rules. After all, John McCain will most certainly win the most states in November, no matter who the Democratic nominee is - that does not mean he will be the next president.

May 5, 2008 at 6:42 pm |