April 28th, 2008

Would you vote for McCain if he promised to serve only one term?

ALT TEXT

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

When it comes to John McCain, his age is an issue with some people. The senator from Arizona is 71 years old. If he is elected President of the United States he would be 72 on inauguration day…making him the oldest person ever sworn in for a first term. If McCain served his full two terms, he would be 80 when he left office.

McCain spent MORE THAN five years as a prisoner of war in Vietnam, and has suffered several bouts of melanoma…a potentially fatal form of skin cancer. His doctors assure us McCain is healthy and cancer-free…but so far his campaign has refused to release all of his medical records. We are told they will be made public some time next month.

In the meantime, reporters who are half McCain's age say they can barely keep up with the septuagenarian as he campaigns for the nation's highest office. Fourteen-hour days climbing on and off airplanes and buses and giving one speech after another are not uncommon.

And yet doubts persist. Being president ages a person in ways no other job does. The responsibilities are so big…the problems so important, that trying to handle them can take years off your life. Look at pictures of any president on inauguration day and compare them with pictures of the same man when he leaves office, and the effects are immediately apparent.

Here’s my question to you: John McCain have a better chance of being elected if he promised to only serve one term in office?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Jayne from New Hampshire writes:
Having barely survived the Bush years, there is nothing that would cause me to vote for John McCain. I don't want him serving one day, let alone one term. Any candidate who stands in front of a boarded up steel factory and tells the voters how wonderful our trade policies are should be run out of town on a rail.

David from San Bernardino, California writes:
No! I would like to see McCain serve a term for his involvement in the Keating scandal. Why is nothing ever said about that?

Mike from Houston writes:
McCain shouldn't have to promise to serve only one term. He will have the right to run for a second term. I would prefer to live with eight years of McCain than eight minutes of Obama or Clinton.

Al from California writes:
First of all, he could live to be 100. Second, I recently underwent cancer surgery, and I am able to perform MY job. This ‘old man’ seems to get around pretty good. I don’t see any wheelchairs or walkers. And third, who would run on the platform of "I promise to only serve one term"? Jack LaLanne is pretty old, and he is in better shape than many of us a third his age. If the only thing to attack McCain on is his age, doesn’t that say something?

Bob from Richmond, Virginia writes:
The only way I will consider voting for McCain is if Hillary steals the Democratic nomination.

Jerry from Fayetteville, Tennessee writes:
I don't think a promise to only serve one term would add any extra votes to McCain – far more important to his chances will be his choice for vice president – Americans will want to know who they're potentially voting for.

Filed under: 2008 Election • John McCain
  1. geekay, Concord, ma

No way. We need to move away from old politics and embrace 21st century way of doing things. That would require someone who straddles the old and the new....and that someone who is best for the role is undoubtedly – President Barack Obama!

April 28, 2008 at 1:56 pm |
  2. Rosalynd Florida

There is only one reason that would push me over the edge to vote for McCain and that would be if the Democratic committee allow Clinton to steal the nomination from Obama who will finish with the pledged delegate lead.

April 28, 2008 at 1:58 pm |
  3. Billy G in Las Vegas

the only way I would vote for McCain is IF he had Colin Powell as his Vice President and he promised to RESIGN right after taking the oath of office.

THAT'S not going to happen so it's, "No Way, Go Away!!!"

April 28, 2008 at 1:59 pm |
  4. Anne

No way. That's like voting for four more years of Bush/Cheney. In one term, McCain could drive us further into the ground in Iraq, bomb-bomb-bomb Iran, end government support of health care for the poor, and see that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. His criticisms of Bush strike me as shallow. It would just be more of the same, except the middle class would become extinct.

Anne
    Texas

April 28, 2008 at 1:59 pm |
  5. Allan,Cameron Park, Ca.

Not even for 1 month. It would just be an extension of the disaster we have now.
    Our only chance for change is Clinton in 08.

April 28, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  6. Tina

I would not vote for McCain if was the only person running.

April 28, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  7. Jayne - NH

Having barely survived the Bush years, there is nothing that would cause me to vote for John McCain. I don't want him serving 1 day, let alone 1 term. Any candidate who stands in front of a boarded up steel factory and tells the voters how wonderful our trade policies are should be run out of town on a rail.

April 28, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  8. Allen Lanai, Hawaii

Jack,

Such a promise means absolutely nothing.

April 28, 2008 at 2:02 pm |
  9. Adam Mercer Oshawa, Ontario

Jack,

The real issue is not really one of agism, at least not directly. For the voters it is not about how old he is and thinking that will make his policies out of touch...the issue is they are afraid of voting a man into a job that ages even young healthy guys. Look at Bill Clinton before and after pictures....it was only 8 years but it looks more like 28. I genuinely think some voters would be afraid of putting the guy into the White House for even one term for fear of killing him. We're not talking about a young healthy guy, the man is 71, a cancer survivor and a former POW...none of which bodes well for his health in the next four years.

The choice of VP would be even more important for McCain as well, since many people would assume that eventually that man would be President.

April 28, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  10. Christine, Lee's Summit, MO

I don't know, but do you really think he would keep his promise? Most of our candidates don't.

April 28, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  11. Sue of Minnesota

Only if Hillary is the democratic candidate. I will never vote for her.

April 28, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  12. Rob, Arvada, CO

Jack, really, do you think anyone would believe a promise from John McCain? I am afraid I would need some legal collateral to back up any promise from John McCain. I wouldn't trust him with a broom and a dustpan.

April 28, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  13. David,San Bernardino,CA.

April 28, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  14. Ed Reed

Absolutely not. 63% of Americans now believe the Iraq war was mistake. Conservatives Pat Buchanan and Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-NE) call it one of our nation's biggest foreign policty blunders. The Pentagon's National Defense University describes it as a "major debacle" resulting in an "incubator for terrorism" and an emboldened Iran. And yet, Sen. McCain insists "the Iraq war was not a mistake" and says he would have invaded Iraq, even knowing that they did not have WMD.

Ed Reed
    Port Aransas, TX

April 28, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  15. Ron K.

Hi Jack:

I wouldn't cast my vote for McCain if he ran for garbage man.

Ron K. San Diego

April 28, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  16. Kevin Leo (Jonesboro, GA)

Hell no, we don't need a third term of Bush policies!!!

April 28, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  17. Jim, Kansas

McCain could easily get elected if he would admit that the "surge"
    isn't working, set a time-table for withdrawl from Iraq, and pick
    Chuck Hagel to be his Vice-Presidential candidate. Promising
    to run for only one term won't help him that much.

April 28, 2008 at 2:09 pm |
  18. Esther Cuyahoga Falls Ohio

we can not handle another term of this type of thinking. we get his word and his word stands for what? I think we should set an age limit on all politicians they lose something as they get past 60 and they should not be trusted either use to say never trust anyone of 30 and now that i am over 50 I say 60 and I want no one to trust me after 60 either cause i plan on starting my own party soon.

April 28, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  19. Joe in DE

Maybe if he also promised to do nothing and had a Saint for a running mate.

April 28, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  20. Debbie,NJ

If Hillary wins the nomination in the primary I sure would.

April 28, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  21. AndyZ Fairfax, VA

Whether he serves one term or two terms does not matter. What worries me about McCain is his committment to staying in Iraq for a century or so. Sorry, McCain has far to many gaps in his resume for me. The only possibility that might change my mind would be his choice of vice president.

April 28, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  22. Jan Davis, Knoxville, TN

Under no circumstances would I vote for John McCain even if he pledges to only serve one term. He is too old, has supporters who are anti-Catholic, and doesn't care about or favor any policies that in my opinion would help the middle and lower classes in this country (evidence: voting against equal pay for women and using his wife's plane in his campaign). Most importantly, we would never be able to get out of Iraq. I want this war to end and that is why I support Barack Obama.

April 28, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  23. Mark

April 28, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  24. Fluffy in Lovelock, Nevada

Dear Jack, Don't underestimate that old sack of scar tissue. He will probably outlive us all. Look at his mom...she's 90 and refuses to buy the farm. I anticipate John McCain will be sitting on the stoop at 100 telling war stories to a great, great, great grandchild sitting on his knee.

April 28, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  25. Taj

No, not even 1 day. He is a 19 th century president. We want to move on to 21 st.
    Ca

April 28, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  26. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I wouldn't bet my money on it. This would be like a person leaving $1 million dollars in their 71 year old grandmother's name with no beneficiary.

April 28, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  27. Harold from Anchorage

We cannot afford another term like the last two. The backbone of the American economy, the middle class, is developing osteoporosis. The world is a more dangerous place thanks to Bush's ambitions. 4 more years may seal our fate.
    Of course, McCain would have to bring the troopshomebefore very long, anyway; to quell the riots which will be caused by the rationing of food and fuel, which is where we're headed, thanks to cronie speculators.

April 28, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  28. Doug from Bloomington IN

No. It would be one term too many. The country wouldn't survive it.

April 28, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  29. Josh

No way! Jack. John McCain is incapable of being President and he is virtually another George W. Bush wannabe. McCain is the last thing this country needs. We are desperate for change and not to repeat the mistakes of the last eight years under an totalitarian right-wing Republican regime which I didn't vote for. Jack, McCain needs to end his run for the presidency and to be put into an nursing home where he truly belongs. The baby boomer generation had its chance to run things under Bush and his right-wing thugs and they shown us that they are incapable of leading, more willing to help their rich buddies instead of the average American, they have shown us their arrogance, rewarding incompetence instead of firing people, promoting cronyism instead of hiring the best qualified people to do these government jobs. It's time for my generation to take a crack at leading this country and I sure we can be the ones to undo the Baby Boomers mistakes.

April 28, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  30. Brian, Cincinnati

The only way I'd vote for John McCain is if Hillary Clinton some how managed to steal the nomination from Barack Obama.

Brian, Cincinnati

April 28, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  31. Brett Milam

I wouldn't vote for McCain if he promised to serve for one day.

-Brett
    Cincinnati,OH

April 28, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  32. Nora. South Texas

No, I would not vote for McCain if he said he would serve for 30 minutes, that would be too long. He needs to fly off in Cindy's jet and relax enjoy his twilight years, and let the youngsters take care of it.

April 28, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  33. Bob in Traverse City Mi.

Trick question Jack! With the disaster the bush/cheney regime has set in motion, whoever wins the election will be blamed for whats coming and serve only one term. This may be the first election ever that each party is rooting for the other.

April 28, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  34. JoAnn in Iowa

NO. It would still be the third Bush term. We can't afford McCain.

April 28, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  35. Pat Nelson

Vote for a guy who promises ONLY four more years of what we've seen the last eight? You've gotta be kidding! The American people are wanting and deserving so much more than that! Republicans......on behalf of your candidate, I'm sorry!

April 28, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  36. JT from TN

Jack,
    OK, I'll go for that but he's a politition and politians are like fisherman they lie. Plus we can't afford 100 years of Iraq and another 4 years of the same ol' stuff in Washington. And Jack it really angers me that tax payers have pay this idiot president even after he leaves office. Tell him to go find a job like a regular person and from my own experiences that are still going on good luck to him on finding a decent job Mcdonald's ain't even hiring these days.

April 28, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  37. Tom from Boston, Mass.

One term of McBush is one term too much. Now if he promised to end the war in Iraq, that would be a different story and I wouldn't mind if he served two terms (with regular cognitive testing, of course!).

April 28, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  38. marylee atlanta,ga

I woill vote for McCain if Hillary is allowed to steal this nomination away from Senator Obama.

My vote would be a vote against Hillary and not that of a vote for McCain.

I can live with the old man for 4 years.

April 28, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  39. Linda

Only if Hillary gets the Democratic nomination!

April 28, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  40. Bob, PA

Good joke, Jack!

April 28, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  41. Pamela-NC (40ywf)

I don't feel he can make this promise. There could be many circumstances where he would feel later on that it would be in the nation's best interest to stay with some 'continuity of care'. I feel it is irresponsible for him to make a promise like that. But that isn't why I will not be voting for him.
    No more Republicans please.
    Obama 08

April 28, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  42. Jerimiah

One term? Why would we think he can fulfill that? His lack of foreign policy awareness past North Vietnamese prisons may not let any of us see four more years. Imagine if a Democrat would have said "100 years in Iraq", "Bomb bomb bomb Iran", and confused Shia and Sunni. The man is either losing it or never had it.

April 28, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  43. Jamaal

No I would not vote for John Mccain even if he said he found the fountain of youth!

April 28, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  44. Courtney, South Windsor, CT

What the heck kind of question is this? Even if a one-term McCain Presidency were an appealing option, which it isn't, who would actually believe any candidate that "promised" to serve only one term? I mean REALLY. How gullible do you think we are?

April 28, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  45. Lloyd

as a registered Independent, I would not vote for John McCain if he promised to serve only one day. I also would not vote for Hillary Clinton, no matter what promises she made. and though I am not greatly enthusiastic over the qualifications of Barack Obama, I would be willing to support him for the POSSIBILITY of improvement in our currently disfunctional government. we still need a qualified, capable, and charismatic third party candidate.

Lloyd
    Washington, PA

April 28, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  46. dave

What good is a promise to a politician? Kind of like saying,"Take my kidney which leaves me with one on the pretense that you can have the other should you need it?" I would think that Hillary would be the only person in the world who could possibly buy this line! And if McCain offers such a position,what does that say about his potential service to the country? If things are that bad that a politician would think of saying this only points to his lack of support and his potential poor sales pitch of running at all. I wouldn't even think of buying a car from this type of salesmanship, let alone allow him in the driver's seat! How about asking the question," Would you vote for McCain if he had one eye and no legs? The answer would still be NO!

April 28, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  47. Peter Pan Fairview, Texas

No. I will vote for John McCain because he is the lesser of two evils. We still don't know which one of the evils he will face on the democrat side. Will it be the Wicked Witch of the East that can't tell the truth or Mr. Bojangles the fancy dancing man who will say what ever he thinks you want to hear regardless of if he can actually deliver on any of it? Either way, anything would be better then either of them.

April 28, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  48. Richard Heriot Bay, B.C. Canada (US Citizen)

I'd vote for John McCain if he promised to replace the current tax code to a flat tax similar to Steve Forbes' suggestion. McCain has made issues of moderating the influence of Washington's lobbyists, changing campaign laws and stopping Congressional earmarks.
    Making tax laws more equitable would go a long way towards correcting those issues. He might not be able to do it in one Presidential term.

April 28, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  49. Joe Rogers

One term?
    McCain the "Manchurian Candidate" can easily rig the electronic voting machines to win a second term.

April 28, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  50. Terry in Virginia

I don't see why that would make a difference. He's too closely aligned with W to correct the mess we're in regardless if he has 4 years, 8 years, or 100 years. That's his biggest problem, not his age. I'd vote for his mother if I thought she could clean up W's mess but I'm not sure anyone can. W has done that much damage.

April 28, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  51. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

I promise to vote for McCain if Clinton steals the nomination and I keep my promises.

April 28, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  52. mr.singh

Well, no! He's like the past like Hillary. These two jokers have been in public service for so long, what have they accomplished, really?

Let's look ahead to fresh presidency with new faces and new ideas and "new solutions" for a new day brighter future.

Mccain is not very trustworthy. He's flying around in his wife's plane, he's backtracked on tax cuts, 100 years in Iraq, you know he's gonna take public financing so why have reform, acting like he cares about blacks and downtrotten, and now he's trying to distance himself from Bush despite endorsement, so I guess he'd also backtrack on his one-term pledge. He's a phony and just wants pension paid for by our tax dollars.

April 28, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  53. Travis, Los Angeles CA

The presidency is an antique institution best occupied by vintage individuals. Stay fit, McCain. Go two terms, and rub it in the boomer's faces!

April 28, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  54. Tiachi

April 28, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  55. m. stanford from SC

McCain will be the choice of last resort for me. I want to vote for Clinton. But, if that choice is not available to me, I may hold my nose and vote for McCain. Obama is a one-term Congressman with little experience. He has connections that I don't really understand, and his public record and history are not long enougn for me to feel comfortable with him as my President ! I felt that way about GWB. too, and I was right! I just wish I could have convinced my relatives. MS from SC

April 28, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  56. the kid

only if Hilllary gets the Democratic nomination!

April 28, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  57. mary walsh

NO. I wouldn't vote for him if he promised to be President for one day.

April 28, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  58. Jim, Tarpon Springs, FL

Jack, Pleeeze! A 4 year promise from the guy that's willing to stay in Iraq for 100 years? What if he gets the two numbers mixed up?

April 28, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  59. Mike in Pueblo

Wait a second... are you asking me if I would vote for a certain politician if he promised me something? Gee, I must have "gullible" tattooed on my forehead...

April 28, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  60. wendy

No way! What a sales pitch! He'll probably try to amend the constitution and be FDR.
    Wendy, Ohio

April 28, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  61. Erik Swansea, MA

I wouldn't vote for a Republican even if he carried me on the ticket as VP

April 28, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  62. Mike, Houston

McCain shouldn't have to promise to serve only 1 term. He will have the right to run for a second term. I would prefer to lvie with 8 years of McCain than 8 minutes of Obama or Clinton.

April 28, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  63. Kevin- Webster, MA

I am beggining to think his straight talk is making more sense. The others promise out of Iraq, That ain't gonna happen. The others are shoving health care down our throats at any cost ( another joke) If he can live long enough and was a good President I'd go two terms. I know some 85 – 90 year olds that are more with it than some 60 year olds.

April 28, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  64. Harry

If he were to consider only one term, then he is almost conceding the Presidency to Billary in 2012.

If he is even remotely considering such a ploy, the Republican Party needs to be finding another candidate by the convention or voting for Obama in the fall. No self respecting Republican can possibly want Billary anywhere near the White House. All we have to do is hold her off, through 2012, then Her age becomes an issue.

Harry
    Ky.

April 28, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  65. Connie

Many people voted for Mitch Daniels in Indiana(not me) when he said he was only running for one term.Guess what he is running again after selling alot of Indiana to foreigners. He is also a republican! Let's hope McCain does not win the first time and Daniels the second time.
    OBAMA 08

Connie from Logansport ,In

April 28, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  66. Tom Huntington,NY

There was a time during the 2000 elections that I thought I could vote for John McCain. That time has long past and I could not vote for him under any circumstance.

April 28, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  67. Al California

First of all, he could live to be 100. Second, I recently underwent cancer surgery, and I am able to perform MY job. This "old man" seems to get around pretty good. I dont see any wheelchairs or walkers. And third, who would run on the platform of "I promise to only serve one term"? Jack LaLane is pretty old, and he is in better shape than many of us a third his age. If the only thing to attack McCain on is his age, dosen't that say something?

April 28, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  68. Nancy, Cunningham, TN

McCain's age is not his problem; it's is political affiliation. Republicans have had 8 years to give all the breaks to their rich buddies. We're tired of the good ol boy system. We are ready for a President that is for all the people and if they lean a little more toward helping the little guy, well, that would be grand. McCain says he is for all people, so why isn't he a Democrat?

April 28, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  69. AL from Torrance CA

It a impracticable question. As a former Democrat and now a Independent I will vote for McCain in Obama-McCain contest, and for HillIary in a McCain-Hillary contest. My mother a lifelong republican who even helped in Ronald Regan's campaign for Govener of Caiforina, said she wolld also vote for Hillary. McCain only albatross is the Iraq, and if he can convence americans that if he had won the Presidency in 2000 that we would not be in Iraq, (Obama's jugement argument). But now that we are, do want to be defeated or claim some kind of victory.

April 28, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  70. Jerry, Fayetteville Tennessee

April 28, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  71. Ryan, Champaign IL

What the heck kind of lunatic campaign promise is this? I've heard some doosies, but stating that you're so weak a candidate you're only asking for HALF the job speaks for itself. It sounds like he's only running because of some old side-bet.

April 28, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  72. James

I will only vote for McCain if Obama is the nominee. He is not ready and would do our country tremendous harm.

April 28, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  73. Ruie - Michigan

Dear Jack:

My problem with John (I'm just a Bush) McClone is not his age, it is the damage that he would do this country if elected. We cannot afford 4 more years of Bush policies. Though McClone at times has stood by his principles, he has thrown them by the wayside over the last two years in order to get elected; and he would feel obligated to prove himself a GOOD Republican by continuing Bush's policies and cowtowing to those in Congress that he has in the past stood up to on principle.

Let him go back to the Senate and restore his honor and do his duty for his state.

April 28, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  74. marie2007

No, I would not vote for McCain even if he served one term. I can only think of Bush's first term and the irreparable damage that he caused.
    McCain has not yet been challenged in this campaign, but the day is coming and he won't be able to explain his flip-flops, his hypocrisy, his embrace of Bush, and the disingenuousness of his campaign.
    He used to be a man of integrity but he threw it away for political ambition. No, he is not suitable material for president – not one term - no term.

April 28, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  75. lou from Iowa

When this race started, I was for the Democrats no matter who came out on top. However, it has become clear to me that Obama is the only Democrat still in the race. Clinton's attacks and comments to obliterate Iran prove to me she is more like a republican than a democrat. Therefore, I'll vote for Obama if he is the nominee, but if it is Clinton, I would vote for the most level headed republican running, and that would be McCain. If he promised to only run one term, that would make my decisions even easier.

April 28, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  76. wally rehmann in las Vegas

NO, HE'S BURN'T TOAST, but then again i don't think anyone should get more then one term, they tend to get to comterable, that includes senators, congressmen, ect,ect..............

April 28, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  77. Richard - San Francisco Ca.

Four more years of this financial horror and possible local attacks from the Islamic fanatics would be like running across the freeway blindfolded clothed in $100 bills and images of Mohammed.

April 28, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  78. Ralph, Long Island, NY

Not good enough. He'd have to make Obama his VP and promise to serve no terms.

April 28, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  79. Steve Idaho

John McCain can probably run for two terms. He's got a young chick at his side in the age of Geritol, Depends, Viagra and Ensure He should be able to stay up and running in the next two terms. With his wife's millions, he could rewire the White House with the Clapper and ride up and down the hallways on one of those little Senior -Mobile golf carts.

April 28, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  80. A Kraft

no he is a nasty old man with a bad temper...and another Bush

April 28, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  81. Frances Berens, Omaha

I wouldn't vote McCain to serve four years,
    I wouldn't vote McCain if we sat for beers,
    I could not vote McCain at any stage –
    The very least reason would be his age.

April 28, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  82. Don Blue Springs, Missouri

Here we go again with the age thing. I would think that John McCain would not run for a second term if he began having a lot of medical problems. If I vote for John it will be for his policies and believes and I think he is a honorable man. Enough is enough of these comments on anyones age, thats no different than calling him black or a woman should they agree to only run one term. Remember there are laws against discrimination in this country, be it age, sex or race.

April 28, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  83. TESAP

Only if he promised to die the day before he takes office. How are people seriously considering voting for this man, he thinks the economy is fine, the war in Iraq is going well, and confuses Shiite and Sunni's........ Are the republicans serious, is this the best that they have, Bush the Third.

April 28, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  84. chryssa

I don't think he'd sway any voters with that argument. Promising to serve only one term is the same as admitting he's not up to the job.

Boise, Idaho

April 28, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  85. Bell-ID

No! I would write Hillarys name in first! JUst because of FL and MI.

April 28, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  86. Greg

No way Jack!!

Even if somehow the "Super" Delegates take the nomination away from Obama...I would probally just stay home!

Greg
    Glen Burnie, MD

April 28, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  87. MAP

What an incredibly ageist question, Jack, for SHAME, especially comeing form a 65 year old (isn't THAT the retirement gae??)......I wonder what folks like Mike Wallace (89), Hugh Heffner (82), Jack Nicholson (70), Robert Redford (70), Alan Greenspan (82), John Paul Stevens (88), Antonon Scalia (72), Anthony M. Kennedy (71), Ruth Bater Ginsburg (75), or Pope Benedict XVI (81) would think of this question?? HOGWASH !!

April 28, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  88. Jason, Brooklyn

After the Iraq War, I could not in good conscience, ever vote for a Republican again.

April 28, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  89. Patricia

Ok...You banned 1 comment I made...So let's try this..NO!!!!!! I won't ever vote for John McCain, because he's a Bush in sheeps skin!!!!

April 28, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  90. Vinnie Vino

Jack,
    I would not vote for John McCain even if he promised to serve all four years of one term. America needs an elected President not McCain's Vice President in a year or two...

C.I., New York

April 28, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  91. Tom, Avon, Maine, The Heart of Democracy

When you look at the incredible amount of suffering the Bush administration has wreaked upon America throughout 8 years, and somebody says, "How about only 4 more years of it," that might sound like a good deal to Big Oil but it sounds like no deal to me.

April 28, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  92. Sunae, Jacksonville, Fl

No I won't vote for John McCain even if he promises to serve only one term.

April 28, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  93. Bea

Jack,
    No, I do not trust that man. We need to move forward, enough is enough with the old politics, and he is to old and appears detached from reality, and not only for a president for a senate too,
    Bea , Texas

April 28, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  94. shar

Never !!!! in this life time or the next.

April 28, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  95. renea

I CAN NOT VOTE FOR ANYONE WHO SUPPORTS THE WAR IN IRAQ!

April 28, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  96. jenny

Jack,

One word. NO! I would not vote for the man if he threw in a few of Cindy's millions although I would at least give it some thought first.

Jenny ROme GA

April 28, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  97. Wings, Aloha,Oregon

McCain is not what the country needs. His platform includes even more debit spending and tax cuts for the rich, more war, more death and vetos and NO votes on helping Americas Vets, and a rotten ecomomy, no help for those who are stuck with mortgage enslavement by greedy mortgage bankers and higher gas prices with super rich speculators controlling things....McCain doesn't look very good, I don't thnk his health is that great either.

April 28, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  98. FH-SC

Nope. No Republicans this year. They've had their 'time in the sun"
    and – by George! – they really messed things up. Time for the other side....

April 28, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  99. Maria, Byron Center MI

NO WAY Jose!

Maria,
    Byron Center, MI

April 28, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  100. Kevin From Peoria

A vote for McCain from me entirely depends on how the democrats resolve the nominee issue. If the superdelegates steal the election from Obama I will vote for McCain even if he decides he is not going to recind his commitement to serve only one term but if he decides he will rewrite the constitution so he can serve as president on an unlimited term basis. Other than that I am really excited to vote for John McCain.

April 28, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  101. Gary, NJ

Would I if he served just one term?

I would not even if it's just one term, or flew the the country in his wife's plane.

I would not, could not Sam I am, I would vote for that Republican man!

April 28, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  102. Sharon Minnesota

Make me laugh. Why would he even agree to such a silly scenario? He's probably going to outlive and outsmart a whole lot of politicians and TV news pundants running around out there right now, maybe even you Jack.

April 28, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  103. Darr/Cleveland/Ohio

First I think your question needs a 'Does' in front of it, but to add my 'what's up' on the McCain question. Is McCain kidding? Next he'll be offerring a $1000 gasoline credit card with a vote for him. Why not just say he'll stay in office for two years? Why four? And that's only if he wins.

April 28, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  104. Jenny M from Henning, MN

Absolutely not! And it has nothing to do with his age. McCain's attainment of the presidency would be a continuation of Bush's policies, especially in Iraq, and I still can't figure out why anyone in their right mind could have voted to give Bush a second term much less vote this time around to extend the damage of the last eight years.

April 28, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  105. MR in North Carolina

I wouldn't vote for McBush if he were the only candidate running! Maybe he talks straight for a Republican, but his words have "Liar" stamped all over them.

April 28, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  106. M Pappas

The I guess at 65 you should also be counting your days to the rocking chair, huh Jack !?!?!

April 28, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  107. Gary, NJ

Would I if he served just one term?

I would not even if it's just one term, or flew the country in his wife's plane.

I would not, could not Sam I am, I would not vote for that Republican man!

April 28, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  108. Anthony-Minneapolis,MN

No, I and the rest of the American people who want us out of Iraq will not play the 4 more years and its over game. We want it over now, end of story. McCain can promise whatever he wants but with his latest theme of pandering I wouldn't believe him. War hero or not this guy is a liar and has no grasp of the enormonity of the presidency. HE doesn't know anything about the economy, global warming, healthcare. What good is this candidate to the american people if he cannot comprehend the day to day struggles we face.

April 28, 2008 at 4:02 pm |
  109. Geri Britt

I don't see what McCain's age has to do with anything. He looks fit enough to me, and since his mother is in her nineties, I don't think he is going to keel over anytime soon. The man is at least mature unlike Hillary Clinton and her husband the former president, and this immature nitwit we have running the country now. As long as McCain chooses a healthy mature and physically fit Vice President, what is the difference?

April 28, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  110. steve k from scappoose or

jack,
    Let me get this straight . . . . a presidential candidate, a politician, PROMISING something to the general public that will NOT happen in 4 years. This IS a refreshing bit of humor.

April 28, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  111. Barbara

NO WAY. I wouldn't vote for him to serve two weeks.

April 28, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  112. D. from MT

Probably, Jack, but he would also needs to promise to STOP earmarks, control his temper, and STOP pushing comprehensive immigration reform. He needs to chose a VP different than himself, ask Iraq to support its own reconstruction and troops training, and START deescalation of the war.

April 28, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  113. Kathy from NJ

If Hillary steals the Democratic Party nomination or the DNC or super delegates throw it to her, you bet I would.

I do not agree with John McCain's policies, but better him in office for 4 years than risk Hillary in for 8 years!

April 28, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  114. Lorenzo from Minnesota

Are you kidding? Which promise would he keep? To use public financing for his campaign? To stay in Iraq for 100 years? One term only? As if he would have a choice...who would vote for a 75-year-old for President? Nothing against seniors, but we have plenty of younger talent available...most notable among them: Sen. Obama.

April 28, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  115. Susan

April 28, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  116. Carrie, Southern Wisconsin

I can't vote for anyone who is for "unrestricted free trade," and who thinks that blowing billions of dollars in Iraq is okay. (He may say that honor is important, but it has to be his brand of honor. Or maybe it's ego. He's all about militarism, yet his voting record hasn't been good at all for our brave troops.

Nope...not even four years.

April 28, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  117. Josh from Indiana

One year of McCain is like having Bush for 3 terms. No thanks.

April 28, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  118. Beth from Michigan

No. I think John McCain is a great American and a great Senator, but he is not the person we need as president at this time. Too bad he didn't get the nomination 8 years ago.

April 28, 2008 at 4:14 pm |
  119. john ......................... marlton, nj

Considering the cast of characters running it looks like the President will only be for one-term regardless of who wins.

April 28, 2008 at 4:14 pm |
  120. Sara, Minnesota

No. I'm sorry he's just too old to be president. Not only that, but he wants to stay in Iraq, and I have friends over there putting their life on the line. And they're telling me that they want to come home. I can't stand Hillary-at all-so if the election gets stolen from Obama, it's gonna be a tough vote.

April 28, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  121. James from Virginia

No I would not vote for him. he would lie just like all of the other republicans. and four more years of republican leadership, if that is what you want to call it, would totally alienate us even more from the rest of the world.

April 28, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  122. Dawn Starr

That’s been the McClinton's plan all along. They destroy Obama and Hillary runs against McCain in 2012. What are friends for?

Dawn
    Portland, OR

April 28, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  123. R Leger

Even if he promised to serve only one term.... he probably will not make it through his first term. He is too old.

April 28, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  124. Chuck in Eugene Oregon

Jack,

It has nothing to do with his age. Although commrads in Arms, (I am retired US Army) I just do not like his politics. I have never liked his politics, he has always impressed me as being too quick to jump into a conflict or war. His comments bomb bomb Iran although a joke in his mind is a classic example.

April 28, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  125. Bill, Canada

McCain, who used to be against 95% of his current platform, would be just the type of slug to make that promise.

No thanks

April 28, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  126. Mary- Louisville, KY

No Jack. Surely people will remember that it took only 2 years for Bush to involve the U.S. in a very unpopular, illegal war. McCain is "hot to trot" when it comes to war. It would not be surprising if he attacked Iran within weeks of his inauguration. I hope that is foremost in voters' minds when they go to the polls.

April 28, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  127. Richard Madden

No. Never. His age is not his primary problem. Number 1:he is a republican.
    Dick from Tarpon Springs, FL

April 28, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  128. Mike from Syracuse NY

I'd vote for him either way. They tried to make age an issue with Reagan, and Reagan thrived in the job. Isn't 70 the new 50 anyway? I'd be happy to have half the drive at that age. Do you think we can get the Constitution changed in time for him to serve a 3rd term?

April 28, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  129. Chuck in Alabama

I think it would be perfect if ALL elected officials were limited to one term. They'd get a heck of a lot more done it their legacy didn't depend on being in office so long their butts leave Grumann's Chinese Theatre cheek prints in their cushy leather seats.

April 28, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  130. Chicago Bob from Illinois

MCCAIN has had several melanomas. These malignancies tend to metasticize and reappear as disseminatiated cancers 10-15 years after the skin lesions. You can't find them with tests till they grow. I assume MCCAIN gets CAT scans or MRI scans yearly to look for these. He may not make it thru the first term. His VP must be someone we are sure can be president.

April 28, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  131. EZE-virginia

Jack, I do not think this question is fair. It is biased . It is a mockery of old age. People of Mcain's age are full of vigor. There is no age limit of anything. The senator from WV is still alert and intelligent. This question is an insult to all senior citizens.

April 28, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  132. Anthony

I would vote for him anyway if Obama is the democratic nominee.

April 28, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  133. David

Exactly the opposite! Most Presidents don't accomplish much in their first term. It takes a while to get things going and get the support needed to accomplish their goals. If McCain were to say he just wants one term, it would confirm my suspicions that all he is wanting is to be elected President for history sake and to be commander in chief to make his mark in his family's military tradition. Those are not the reasons I want to see someone elected to this countries highest office. He's too old to be President and I think he is already exhibiting signs of Alzheimers.
    Dave, a military veteran from Paducah, KY

April 28, 2008 at 4:31 pm |
  134. Matt

Depends on who will be his Vice President.

April 28, 2008 at 4:31 pm |
  135. valerie alvord

With all the negativity on the Democratic side, McCain is starting to look better.

April 28, 2008 at 4:34 pm |
  136. Brenda Wiggins

NO, not even if he promised to appoint a bipartian cabinet. Mc Cain is not ready to tackle the broad issues in America. Until two weeks ago the only issue on his mind and of which he spoke with any details was the war and terrorism. He has a biased focus on the military as the answer to all of problems around the world to the exclusion ot funding adequately the domestic programs that make us America and make us strong at home.

Now he has last minutes ideas about the domestic issues and when questioned his answers seem to be OH, BUT we cannot afford to do this because we must fund the military ....

We do not need another year much less a four year term of this most senior candidate with old ideas and a one track mind to be at the head of our government. It will take smart and progressive thinking and boldness to turn many aspects of American government and our economy around. This includes the international policies and relationships we need to clean up / repair.

I do not trust that he has the judgment and the forsight to lead efficiently. We have had nearly 8 years of such lack of vision and abilities at the top of our government.

From Minnesota

April 28, 2008 at 4:35 pm |
  137. Mike, Ohio

No Jack. That would make him a lame duck with lame policies and a Bush third term. By then the country would either be owned by China or we would be a third world country at best. We can not afford another Bush third term. The Republicans have done enough damage to this country already.

April 28, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  138. Dilibon Kojak

A friendly sugestion for John McCain! He had a very successful life as a senator. He had survived the famous clan of five during the S and L crisis, Sir go peacefully in a well earned – even questionable – retirement! Let America that you profess to love get some fresh air from the youth!

April 28, 2008 at 4:38 pm |
  139. Les Young Oklahoma

I am going to the poor house fast enough with out having four more years of a Republican. I am to old myself to hold out any longer and don't think our country can stand McCain fumbling and bumbling with Economy

April 28, 2008 at 4:38 pm |
  140. Peter-TX

nope! not even half a term.

April 28, 2008 at 4:44 pm |
  141. Katiec Pekin, IL

Jack,
    One term is too much for McCain. He is a big supporter of
    the Bush administrations policies that have almost destroyed
    our country. Since he is the only republican, of course he has
    good numbers. But when his part in the republican party
    spending, lack of responsibility, unmonitored billions of
    dollars given for the Iraq war is exposed and dwelled upon
    he will be left stumbling for justification.
    He should not be president, period.

April 28, 2008 at 4:45 pm |
  142. cali from sarasota, florida

Whoever's pulling the elephant's strings in this puppet show has done the GOP no favors at all. They need a real Republican to lead the party. And that means offering up someone who's not just a pretender forever wrapping himself in the American flag, while at the same time hoping nobody notices he's all but vanished in the quicksand of the past seven years.

April 28, 2008 at 4:46 pm |
  143. Kathleen in Albuquerque

No, Jack, look at the amount of damage "W" did in his first four years! And then in his second 4 years, disaster. So, it is only logical, that four more years of Bushism via McCain would probably kill us all.

April 28, 2008 at 4:47 pm |
  144. Patrice C.

The only way I'll vote for McCain is if Barack Obama is his opponent. It does not matter if he wants to serve one term or two. The only way I might even consider Obama in November is if Clinton is on the ticket.

John McCain, at least, does not insult those of us who are barely hanging on in this economy. He is much more down to earth and able to relate to working people. Sure Obama may have grown up poor, but when he made it, he slammed the door in our faces. That much was made clear with those "bitter...clinging to their guns and religion comments", the "typical white person" remark, his wife saying that America is "down right mean", and only being "proud of our Country for the first time" statement made at a campaign event this year. I've never supported a republican, but will this time if it comes to it.

April 28, 2008 at 4:47 pm |
  145. Sly from Alpena, Michigan

Hi Jack, No way! So he could mess this country up for another 4 more years like Bush did for 8? The American people don't need another McBush in the White House. The American people deserve better.

April 28, 2008 at 4:48 pm |
  146. Mary

No. I would not vote for any presidential candidate who promised to only stay in office for one term. First, that is not a believeable promise. Second, why would I want someone in office when I couldn't hold them accountable in the next election. I am not certain why people think John McCain is to old. How old is the Pope? He is too old to do his job? Age has nothing to do with ability or experience or enthusiasm or anything else. John McCain has high morals, I believe, and, more importantly, not a Clinton. He is not in cahoots with Bush, and, for the most part, disagrees with Bush on many things. He would not be a continuation. He would be a difference. Clinton would be more of the same, and with an ego-maniacal husband to boot!

April 28, 2008 at 4:48 pm |
  147. holdenlitgo

you can't count on republican promises no matter who makes them.

April 28, 2008 at 4:48 pm |
  148. Sandy ,Lehigh Valley, PA

I, personally think Sen. McCain is too old. But I would vote for Sen. McCain before I vote and put a Clinton back in the White House.

I learned from my mistakes.

April 28, 2008 at 4:51 pm |
  149. Clark Smith

John McCain is a hero's hero. He has shown himself to be human and fallible over the years, but I'm saving stories about him to give my grandchildren inspiration. The nitpicking the media and the democrats do his every word and eye blink reflect more on them than on he. He is anti-choice now so I will not vote for him, but he surely has to be classified among the outstanding men and women in our recent history. Most of his critics including the press are well below his class, but seem intent on bringing him down to their level. Here surely is a "man for all times."

April 28, 2008 at 4:52 pm |
  150. Hen from Jacksonville

No I will not. It would be a stupid move if he tried to play that card. He would be admitting that he does not have the energy to perform the very stressful job as President of the United States. Just look back at William H Harrison. He did not last a month let alone a term. If McCain is going to run he should not let his age get in the way of going for 2 terms.

April 28, 2008 at 4:52 pm |
  151. Mary

A vote on a politicians promise? Hell no. You make me laugh Jack.

April 28, 2008 at 4:53 pm |
  152. Brian Chambers

No. He could make our foreign "situation" immensely worse in four years time. The portion of the American public who want to improve our international image know this, and we wouldn't settle for it. We wouldn't settle for his Iraq policy, and his neglect to accept blowback as a reality. A promise of one term means nothing to people who don't want him as our President in the first place.

For being so anti-torture a couple years ago, I doubt he'd even pass any remotely useful legislation towards that end. The man's becoming a dinosaur.

April 28, 2008 at 4:54 pm |
  153. Tara

I would if Obama gets the Dems nod of approval.

April 28, 2008 at 4:55 pm |
  154. Nancy

As long as McCain is of sound mind and body, which I believe he will be, I will vote for him to two terms – unless he disappoints me as Pres. Bush did.

April 28, 2008 at 4:57 pm |
  155. Charles NJ

He would have a better chance against Obama if he promised to serve only one term. Against Clinton he has no chance as the latest polling indicates. Although I don't support McCain, why should he, if elected, make a solemn promise to serve only one term. What if he does a good job during his first 4 years. And if his mother is any indication, the McCains are sprightly old birds so running again at age 76 should be no problem.

April 28, 2008 at 5:04 pm |
  156. Vincent Curcuru

What you are asking is if I would vote for a lame duck. Doesn't sound like a good way to move the country in the right direction.

April 28, 2008 at 5:04 pm |
  157. Stefan

What difference does it make it McCain promises to run for only 1 term? It is the prerogative of the voters to determine if we want him in office for eight years, four or none. That said...we the voters didn't do a very good job of telling Bush we didn't want him around for a second term.

Stefan
    Hoffman Estates, IL

April 28, 2008 at 5:05 pm |
  158. Ken, Lynchburg, VA.

McCain's age is not the issue with me; it is his refusal to recognize the strategic blunder of Bush-Cheney invasion of Iraq and his intention to continue the insanity of the Bush Iraq War! Jack, as an aside, did you hear Rev. Wright's response to question as to his patriotism, he served six years in the U.S. Military, Cheney served NONE! So, who is the patriot? Of course, Cheney wears a lapel flag pin!

April 28, 2008 at 5:05 pm |
  159. Paul, Texas

If he promises a one-term run and then shows to be the second Reagan, then what? Should he keep his promise then?
    Looking at who the Democrats run this year, McCain got my vote no matter what he promises.

April 28, 2008 at 5:06 pm |
  160. Mark from Kalamazoo

Jack,
    That makes about as much sense as asking, "Can I punch you in the face if I promise to do it only once?" Not a chance.

April 28, 2008 at 5:08 pm |
  161. BOB

Jack, the answer is yes I would vote for him if Obama was the democratic candidate. I may not agree with him on many issues, but he has shown he can work with both sides of the aisle.

Sonoma, CA

April 28, 2008 at 5:09 pm |
  162. Christina

Nope. His being "too old" to be president is irrelevant, qualifications and experience are the issues here. I consider myself a Democrat but if Obama gets the nomination, I may vote for John McCain regardless. Obama is just too liberal, and high and mighty. His speeches don't resonate with me because there are no real points made, just flighty promises that I don't believe he can back up with his limited experience. He claims to be able to bring people together, but his ideals lean far too much to the left to be able to be bi-partisan.

April 28, 2008 at 5:09 pm |
  163. Kenneth

The answer is NO. Republicans are increasingly demonstrating that their word means little or nothing at all. Can't be trusted.

April 28, 2008 at 5:09 pm |
  164. Miatch

Even a healthy 75 year old man has only 85% of the brain cells functioning that they had at age 25. I think we've seen what a president without all their brain cells does to this nation.

April 28, 2008 at 5:12 pm |
  165. Pat in WA

Yes, if it was a choice between him and Obama. I like John McCaine as a person even though I don't agree with his politics. He really cares about the soldiers and will get them out while honoring our committment to the Geneva convention. Americans don't torture or terrorize! I don't believe his posturing on being a warmonger. I think that is for the benefit of the Rep. bigwigs.
    On the home front, he can only do what a mostly Dem. Congress and Senate let him. His age is also a factor and who he chooses as VP will be very important. One term would allow him to handle the war, but then we can get a real Dem. in there to fix the economy.

April 28, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  166. Daniel in Tucson, AZ

No. If we think he's going to be an unaacountable President because he won't have to try to get re-elected his making such a pledge will really get Dems to the polls!

April 28, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  167. Jeff

It shouldn't matter because we have no way of knowing how he will react to the duties of office. Besides, isn't this the same sort of question that everybody in the media was railing against Chuck Norris and Mike Huckabee just a few months ago? I find it interesting that this is even coming up as an issue after that fiasco.

April 28, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  168. Marta K-Florida

The fact that McCain is just too old to be President is the least of what's wrong with his candidacy. He's just plain WRONG for America!

April 28, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  169. Brack Stubblefield, TN

As many others have said, who woud be dumb enough to buy that? There are no promises in politics just manipulations mostly at the cost of the common person.

Besides that, why would we want to continue in the same direction we have been going?

Those of you saying you would vote for McCain if your choice of democratic candiate isn't nominated need to think again and in terms of what is best for the country not whether a woman or black man gets into the oval office first.

April 28, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  170. Charles N.Cn

I Would Vote Him. Even if he runs for 2 terms. If He Dies Big Woop, i Just Hope he has a good VP

April 28, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  171. jordan

I wouldn't vote for McCain in any situation- but those considering him probably wouldn't sway towards him if he promised to serve one term- it seems like that would mean that he would be admitting that his health would detiorate so much in that time that he would undoubtedly have to leave.
    But who am i to say, i support ron paul – the oldest canindate, and the best.

April 28, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  172. David M.

FROM WASHINGTON DC...I think that Senator McCain limiting himself to one term would make him less electable. While many would like to see him serve only one term if the democrats prove incapable of taking back the White House, no president should limit himself or herself to only one term, especially before even taking the oath. This would make them a lame duck before they even move into their new office. It would weaken McCain and any progress that he could elicit, something that the nation cannot deal with for four more years.

April 28, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  173. tim nolan

Was Ronald Regan not 69 years old when he was starting his first term.

2 years difference BIG DEAL

April 28, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  174. Miles

No, I would only vote for John McCain if he promised to run two terms. He is showing weakness by promising to only run one term. This would be him saying that his health is a major risk and he cannot put this in the way of the presidency. As you said Jack, the press just can't keep up with him. He is holding himself and America back by saying he will only run for one term!

April 28, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  175. Christopher Bates

No, I learned my lesson with Bush not to take them at their word. I will be voting Democratic this time because we need a new direction not stay the course. Do I believe we will be better off with a Democrat. No, but it is at least a different direction
    Chris B
    Dallas, Texas

April 28, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  176. David Kanner

A politician's promise, Jack?! What good is that? A promise by McCain to serve only one term is absolutely worthless. What good is such a promise when re-election time is here and he refuses to step down? Who is going to hold him to it?

April 28, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  177. Ron Betts

That would depend a lot on which cronie McCain gives 'a leg up to' by nominating as his vice-presidential running mate.

Ron in Oregon

April 28, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  178. Deepak Narwani, Ithaca, NY

Lets be realistic my friends. Even if he were offered... he would reject and instead strive to be in office another 100 years...... and given his physical shape.... it wouldn't be surprising if he lives that long..... my friends.

April 28, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  179. kate

At his age he shouldn't serve any terms. He is too old. I'm 75 myself and I know how my mind works at this age. it may still be good,but it still is not good enough, and he has already shown this on several occasions.

April 28, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  180. Bobby, Bowling Green OH

Jack, I don't know why I bother, you never read my E-mail's on the air anyway, but here goes: It does not matter. We elect president's to a four year term, we'll cross that bridge in another four years if he's elected. If he comes off as young at heart and energetic in his first four years I'd vote for his second term, if he's falling asleep in meetings like Reagan did, then no, he's then too old. I plan on voting for Hillary, but if Obama gets the nomination, then I'm proudly voting for the "old man".

April 28, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  181. Olatunde, London, Canada

Ofcourse, if Senator McCain decides to run for one term might sway some voters. However, he will not be able to keep US troops in Iraq for more than additional 4 years as an extention of Bush's term (Bush's 3rd term).

April 28, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  182. Miles Yeary

Jack.....my idea not just for McCain, but all presidents:

one term : 6 years

And once you've been elected, NO MORE CAMPAIGNING for yourself or anyone else. Park Air Force One and save some tax dollars.
    Stay in the White House and do the job you've been elected to do. If you can't get your policies enacted in 6 years, time to move on.

Miles Yeary
    Seattle

April 28, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  183. Patricia Kelly, Hamburg, NJ

Jack,

First off, being 54 years of age, I don't feel that old yet!

So, a guy who was tortured in Vietnam, had a interesting career as a politican, and is now running an unpopular campaign (due to his views on the Iraq war), who still looks good at 71, why should he not run for two terms.

He has been through enough in the past, and if he is elected??, he should have the opportunity to be President for 8 years, like the prior Presidents. Hey, he looks better than Bush! And definitely looks better than Clinton! Both of those boys are alot younger.

Pat Kelly

April 28, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  184. Bodo from Ann Arbor

McCain is serving for four years anyway, and would then have to compete as encumbent for a second term. At that time he can say if he wants to re-run or not, as all other Presidents have done in the past. So what is the problem?

April 28, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  185. Bernadette for Texas

I am an Obama voter, but if Obama loses, I will vote for McCain and I won't care how many terms he serves.

April 28, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  186. Martin Laurence

No Jack, I think it would prove to be a negative if McCain promised to only run 1 term. Knowing how politics works it's difficult to accomplish goals in one term. Also, he goes in as a lam duck president right off the bat. By the way, I compared your blog page picture to your current self and apparently your job seems to be affecting you in the same manner. Marty, Chicago, Il.

April 28, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  187. Leif

John McCain is a man who's survived one of America's most historically significant War's and has served this country in more ways than can be expressed in a small paragraph. Asking him to limit his presidency based on his age is Un-American and short sighted. The phrase "Age is but a number" has never been more true than in this technologically advanced time and if in good health should be allowed to serve his country as president for as long as he can as he brings years more of experience to temper his resolve and judgement.

A Democrat in New Jersey.

April 28, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  188. John Lusk

If John Mc Cain's health became an issue he would probably be the first one to say one term is enough. Jack Kennedy was in worse health than Mc Cain when he was sworn in.

April 28, 2008 at 5:22 pm |
  189. kate

He should not even be running. He is to old. I'm 75 myself and I know how the mind works as it gets older, and he has already proven this on several occasions. It just doesn't always work for you like it ues to. Go Barack!!!!

April 28, 2008 at 5:22 pm |
  190. ken

Naw! He survived 5yrs. of physical and mental abuse in a North Vietnamese prison, so 4 or 8 yrs. as U.S. President should be a piece of cake for him.

April 28, 2008 at 5:23 pm |
  191. Donnie N., Chicago, IL

McCain's age is a non-issue in his race for a second term because we have elections every 4 years for a reason. If he is elected this November, he can go for a second term if he likes, but if his health is in jeopardy then the people can recognize that and put another Republican candidate in his place.

April 28, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  192. michael

If you are not healthy enough to serve two
    terms you shouldn't serve any.
    McCain looks like he's not well. If you notice
    he can barely walk, he favors his left side as
    if he had a stroke. I am surprised he is the
    republican canidate. He is not sharp enough
    to handle Sen Obama in a debate and I believe
    he has a memory problem so not only is he in
    bad shape the republican party is in bad shape

April 28, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  193. Barbara Gable

This is a stupid question, Jack. McCain won't even make it through four years if he's elected. He thought Viet Nam was strenuous - hate to see his gray hair go away and become a bald man fighting for more tax cuts.

Barbara
    Palo Alto, CA

April 28, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  194. Jonathan McDaniel

I think it would make him more electable to younger voters, as a college student his age is always a joke in the classroom and only extreme conservatives with no opinion of their own will vote for him. I'm a poltical science/ history student and I think we need a change, not an old man who does not even know how to use a computer

April 28, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  195. francis

Jack, I don't think Johnny's age is actually a relevant factor in this year's presidential campaign season, though perhaps the media wants to make it so-just as it has turned issues of sexism and racism with the democrats from important topics of conversation and potential catalysts of change in society as a whole into an ideology with paranoid sub-values that only sets to keep us apart. I guess with Johnny it's age-ism. What paranoid times we are living in.

Francis-Xavier
    Nova Scotia

April 28, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  196. gryfyn in california

I do not think that age should be a factor in electing a president ... anymore than race or gender ... (McCain has shown quite a bit of energy during his campaign ... with only a few lapses of thought and/or perception being manifest during his campaign) ... however ... as a 'cancer survivor' .... and knowing the long-lasting effects of cancer treatment ... and potential recurrance of cancer ... we Americans do have a right to see John McCain's medical reports to assess his viability as our President.

April 28, 2008 at 5:34 pm |
  197. Sef

His vitality and apparent good health abate any concern I would have about his age. I have no problem with our esteemed public servant being biologically old, but I am concerned that he may be too old socially and politically.

Sef

April 28, 2008 at 5:34 pm |
  198. liz

No. It would not make any difference. One month would be too much.He is not going to win the election any way. Barack Obama is going to win it.
    Liz
    Ft. Myers, Fl.

April 28, 2008 at 5:35 pm |
  199. sam

When has age become a negative asset to a leader, the best leaders of the 20th century who guided their countries from war to peace have all been in their 70's , Charles de Gaulle, Golda Meir, Nelson Mandela, Winston Churchill, Ronald Reagan, when have we decided that youth is what we need in our leaders I thought it was what we wanted in our movie stars.

April 28, 2008 at 5:39 pm |
  200. Alicia

Jack, I think you would have a better chance if you promised to do one term. Run Jack Run!!!!

April 28, 2008 at 5:44 pm |
  201. Elisabeth J from Bloomington, IN

I seriously doubt that a man that holds the power of the President of the United States would be willing to stop after 4 years, There is just too much to do and despite his age, McCain does seem to be healthy enough for the full 8 years.

April 28, 2008 at 5:51 pm |