April 25th, 2008

Who would you skip work or school to meet?

ALT TEXT
(PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

When Colin Saltry and Joey Daniel heard Barack Obama was at Glider's Diner in Scranton, Pennsylvania, eating waffles earlier this week, they couldn't resist. Saltry is class president and Daniel vice president at Scranton High School. They left school and headed for the diner-managing to talk their way in through the media entrance. Soon they were in conversation with the famous senator from Illinois.

When one of them mentioned they would probably be suspended for leaving school without permission, Obama wrote them each a note. "Excuse Joey. Excuse Colin."

It didn't work...both boys were suspended for one day and wound up spending it campaigning for their guy. Both admitted it wasn't the right thing to do to skip school...and both said they would do it again in a heartbeat. Of all the days they will spend at Scranton High School, 20 years from now they will remember every detail of this one.

Here’s my question to you: Which politician - living or dead - would you skip work or school to meet and why?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Billy from Las Vegas writes:
I would skip school to meet Herbert Hoover if he was still living, just to find out IF he is a distant relative of either George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, or John McCain.

Kevin from Michigan writes:
I would have liked to meet Harry Truman. He seemed like a man of good character, a sense of humor, and a kick-butt attitude. We sure could use that now. If he were living today I couldn't imagine what his comments would be on the games going on in Washington, D.C.

Lance from Texas writes:
Jack, I feel very lucky just to have a job to skip !! Of course, it would also depend on how much gas it would take to get to the event. I think I'd like to see President Reagan and get his honest opinion of how much better off we all are after the past eight years of Republican rule.

Michael from Lorton, Virginia writes:
Jack. You sly devil...you already know the answer. I would skip school to meet my father, who is deceased, to tell him something that I was unable to tell him before he died...that I loved him and think of him always.

Denise from San Antonio, Texas writes:
Senator Barack Obama!! He reminds me of my father, my home church pastor, my husband, my friends, wise college professors, my uncle, my cousins, and my daddy's friends from Texas Southern University. I own the company and would skip a day at work to go spend time with this man!!!

David writes:
Silly question Jack, you and the Wolf-man of course.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. Sam

I would skip work to meet John F. Kennedy Jr. but he is dead. So that is why the next best politician to meet in this generation is Senator Barack Obama. He is an amazing once in a generation leader and is worth playing hookey from work anyday.

April 25, 2008 at 1:40 pm |
  2. Chuck in Alabama

George W. Bush. I'd like to find out if there is really a human in there somewhere.

April 25, 2008 at 1:41 pm |
  3. Lance in Texas

Jack, I feel very lucky just to have a job to skip !! (Of course it would also depend on how much gas it would take to get to the event as well)... I think I'd like to see President Reagan and get his honest opinion of how much better off we all are after the past eight years of Republican rule...

April 25, 2008 at 1:47 pm |
  4. Michael Lorton, Virginia

Jack: You sly devil........you are priming a prompt in which you already knowing the answer. I would skip school to meet my father, who is deceased; to tell something that I was unable to tell him before he died......that I loved him and think of him always.....

April 25, 2008 at 1:52 pm |
  5. Rosalynd Florida

Senator Obama, The man who can bring real change for this country which is in trouble right now.

April 25, 2008 at 1:52 pm |
  6. Kevin - Albany, NY

Like the kids in Scranton, I would skip work to meet Obama. In these dark times, when there is so much atrocity in the world, he is a beacon of inspiration.

April 25, 2008 at 1:54 pm |
  7. Barbara in NC

If I had a job, I'd do it – that's what we're paid for. Stop out-sourcing American jobs, and stop in-sourcing to replace the remainder of Americans with cheap foreign labor.

April 25, 2008 at 1:54 pm |
  8. Billy G in Las Vegas

I would skip school to meet Herbert Hoover, if he was still living, just to find out IF he is a distant relative of either George W Bush, Dick Cheney or John McCain.

April 25, 2008 at 1:54 pm |
  9. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

I'm not skipping anything that has to do with money. The economy is too bad to jeapordize anything. However, if I were able to get permission to take a "long lunch break", then I might consider meeting with either Barack Obama or Bill Clinton (back in 1992. He couldn't pay me to meet him now!)

April 25, 2008 at 1:56 pm |
  10. Ryan, Champaign IL

I would skip school to meet you, Jack. But not on a Tuesday, because that is hotdog on bun w/ fruitcup day.

April 25, 2008 at 1:57 pm |
  11. Kathy, Texas

LBJ. I'd love to smack him in the back of his head and ask why he allowed social security to go into the general fund. Whadabonehead.

I'd like to meet Carter, Reagan, old Bush, Clinton and new Bush and ask them why on gods green earth NONE of them considered using algae as a biofuel. It was expressed to the DOE in 1978 and studied until 1996. Why must we use corn. Whatboneheads.

April 25, 2008 at 2:00 pm |
  12. steph

OBAMA FOR SURE. AND YOU TOO JACK.

April 25, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  13. Cheryl

Living politicians – the Clintons and Al Gore. As humanly flawed as they are, they are the best hope for our future. They love the US. They have and will continue to spend their entire lives helping others.

Dead politicians – Abe Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin. While very different characters, each man helped inspire our country to move forward in the direction of justice, hope, and solidarity. They were mold breakers, renegades, just like Gore and the Clintons.

Cheryl, Baltimore, MD

April 25, 2008 at 2:09 pm |
  14. dorothy delong

Jack I had the privilege To Meet Bill Clinton now I would skip school to meet his wife Hillary just to sit down and talk to her would make my day. Dorothy Lucasville Ohio

April 25, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  15. Mike in St. Pete Beach, Florida

I would ditch work to meet James Madison and Thomas Jefferson and fill them in on what the U.S. government has been doing to their beloved Constitution.

April 25, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  16. Lois, NJ

Barry Goldwater - I've read a little bit about him and he sounds like an interesting person. So if that were possible, I'd like to meet him to find out more about him.

April 25, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  17. Will K. San Jose, CA

I'd skip a single day to meet any of them. These are the people that make the often boneheaded decisions that ship our country off to war or our tax dollars to bridges to nowhere. The can choose to strip money for our schools or sign laws that encourage shipping our jobs overseas. The more people that they meet as opposed to lobbyists the better.

April 25, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  18. Taj

FDR, dead or alive. Who else can uplift America? Do you think Hillary or Obama can do it? Then I will be glad to skip my school, work or anything to do good for this country.
    CA

April 25, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  19. stan

oh jack here you go again! anyways i would skip work to meet obama, he is the true future of this country, and i would want to discuss with him all the things we need to do to strenghten America!

April 25, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  20. Mike from Syracuse NY

Angelina Jolie.

April 25, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  21. Brian, Cincinnati

I'd skip work to meet the First Lady ... of France. How can you not admire a political figure like that?

Brian, Cincinnati

April 25, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  22. garrick

Hi Jack
    I would miss my wedding to have met John Kennedy.I use to watch his speechs and now I want to meet Obama,everyone thinks hes just a black man and no one talks about his white side,I think hes part MLK and JFK think about that
    clearwater fl

April 25, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  23. Erin in Kalamazoo

Easy...Thomas Jefferson, the founder of the Democratic Party. I'd tell him of this thing called a "super delegate" and ask if this is what he had in mind for "The party of the Common Man".

April 25, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  24. Jim from BC

For an intelligent conversation over lunch, Jack Cafferty, of course.

April 25, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  25. Jan Davis, Knoxville, TN

Barack Obama, who else!

April 25, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  26. James Austin TX

Living politicians – Obama and Al Gore. As humanly flawed as they are, they are the best hope for our future. They love the US. They have and will continue to spend their entire lives helping others.

Dead politicians – Abe Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin. While very different characters, each man helped inspire our country to move forward in the direction of justice, hope, and solidarity. They were mold breakers, renegades, just like Gore and Obama.

James , Austin TX

April 25, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  27. marie, sc

George Washington – I would love to get to know this person that took huge risks to reject what was politically correct and helped form and lead a new country because he knew it was the right thing to do.

April 25, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  28. Don from canada

Barack Obama

April 25, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  29. Wayne, NH

Barrack Obama, So I could make the next President aware that the US DOJ does not have the enough funding to enforce the American with Disabilities Act for all.

April 25, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  30. Barbara in NC

On second thought – maybe you should direct this at the folks in the "big states". They are all that seem to matter. Little states, little people don't matter. Can the little people from the little states stop putting tax dollars in Government pockets? If we don't matter and our votes don't really count, I think that's fair. NO TAXES ON LITTLE STATE PEOPLE. he he he he

April 25, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  31. Mark - Asheville, NC

Al Gore, John Edwards, Joe Biden, Sen. Jim Webb. Any two of these gentlemen should have comprised our ticket this Fall, and we *could* have beaten McCain in a landslide. But that is extremely unlikely to happen now, and that is a tragedy.

April 25, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  32. Michael In Maine

Jack, I'd skip work to see William O. Douglas and see what he thinks of the current Conservative Roberts Court.

April 25, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  33. Eric from Chicago

I would skip school to meet with Ronald Reagan. I would ask his opinion of the state of America today and take what he suggests and bring it back to Washington to get us back on track. He inspires me with his pure capitalist ideals and how he implemented them to propel America forward. We need someone who understands how a consumer controlled economy runs and gives the consumers the ability to get this country back on track. That's why I'm voting for McCain in November.

April 25, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  34. AndyZ; Fairfax, VA

I would skip work to meet and converse with Puxatawney Phil. Can you imagine the stress and responsibility of having to be correct each year when announcing if winter will be around for another six weeks? How does he handle the stress. Can we learn from Phil's stress control methods. What kind of special diet does he have that allows him to hibernate for months at time? Does he supplement his diet with vitamins? Steroids? What happens to Phil if he is wrong? Does he commune with a long forgotten Winter Diety? This would be the most fascinating conversation I could imagine.

He said with a straight face.

April 25, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  35. Richard Heriot Bay, B.C. Canada

I'd skip a free lunch to ask Richard Nixon what he was thinking in 1973 when he gave China financial aid to develop the manufacturing capability they have today and if he thought at the time that it was the only way to stop the spread of Communism in Southeast Asia.

April 25, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  36. DAD in Hollis, NH

It would be Barack Obama. After listening to the candidates for the last several months, I believe he is the only one who can bring about the change that is needed right now. I would like to have lunch with him and ask him what I can do, as a single citizen, to contribute to getting America back to a respected nation. For the first time in my life I have contributed money to a political campaign. Now I’m ready to contribute time and energy to make a difference.

April 25, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  37. Jayne in NH

I would love to meet Senator Obama just to thank him for running for high office and for putting up with the media in this country. It's a shame one of the most brilliant minds we've ever had running for the presidency is never quizzed about policy, but is continually picked apart in an odd guilt-by-association game. Funny, there are plenty of unsavory associations in the pasts of the other 2 candidates, but mysteriously they're never mentioned. I'd like to know why.

April 25, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  38. Carolyn, Portland

At first I thought that I'd want to meet Dick Cheney to see first hand if he is really as uncaring, greedy, deceitful and un-american as I think.

I've changed my mind because I already know the answer.

April 25, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  39. Karen - Branson MO

I would skip out to meet Barack Obama FOR SURE, (you...Jack Cafferty and of course Wolfe (although I don't agree with him sometimes) and Roland Martin and Donna Brazile), Gov. Richardson, Nancy Pelozi, any of the Kennedys living or deceased, and of course Lincoln.

If Lincoln were alive today, he would be so proud of Barack Obama! Lincoln brought this country together under very fragile times...now it's Obama's turn. Funny...both served Illinois in Springfield Illinois. Fitting, don't ya think?

April 25, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  40. m. stanford from SC

If I knew that I would be guaranteed a chance to attend a town-hall-type meeting with Bill and Hillary Clinton answering questions, I would arrange to be present. To me, the Clintons are the most interesting of all politicians in our history-except for George Washington and the Continental Congress. MS from SC

April 25, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  41. Amy_Michigan

Easy one Jack, Teddy Roosevelt. One of the first great American Conservationist. Even way back then he knew we needed to protect our wilderness and natural resources!

April 25, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  42. Nuwan Sam

Jack, I need to know where it is. I can skip a day from work to meet a good politician, but I would not want to pay $100 to pump gas for my SUV for that. So it also depends on the distance I have to travel. However, if I get a chance, I would love to meet Bill Clinton.

Nuwan from Houston, TX

April 25, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  43. Ron in Indiana

I used to cut school to meet my then girlfriend back in the early 80's. I wont mention her name but she is currently a politician. Does this count?

April 25, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  44. Jim from BC

I just read the above comments. Why are so many Cafferty Bloggers wanting to meet dead people?

I have been around many dead people, famous and not so famous, and not one of them has been able to have a conversation or even make a sound other than an odd gurgle or fart; depending on how long they have been dead for, of course.

April 25, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  45. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Our school dismissed class early for us to see President Kennedy when he was campaigning, we didn't have to skip. After seeing and hearing President Kennedy I've always been inspired with politics. President Kennedy was very handsome and I will never forget the way he spoke and waved to all of us.

April 25, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  46. Joan, Pgh. PA

You didn't limit this to American politicians, so here are some of my favorites:

Gerry Adams (Pres. of Ireland's Sinn Fein Party) Exceptional speaker, a unifier of people, very inspirational - plus he's cute

The Dalai Lama – I've read him but never heard him speak but he's of course inspirational and a unifier of people –plus he's cute

Barak Obama – Exceptional speaker, a unifier of people, very inspirational - and, yup - he's cute

April 25, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  47. Jackson

I'd skip work in a heartbeat to ask Thomas Jefferson exactly what sort of words he had for our current "King George".

April 25, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  48. Rich Smyrnios

George Washington.
    If we had followed his example; the warnings about political parties, and foreign alliances, we would not be in this mess today.
    Rich
    Kalamazoo, mi.

April 25, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  49. Terry from North Carolina

Jack
    I would skip work ( if I could find a job ) to see Richard Nixon to find out what the heck was he thinking about when he ordered Gorden Liddy and the boys to break in to the Democratic Office in the Watergate Hotel. ?

April 25, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  50. Cynthia

You Jack because you keep it real.

April 25, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  51. Pat, Ky.

Abraham Lincoln – I'd love to sit down with him and listen to him describe the biggest influences in his life and what he thinks about the U.S.A. today.

April 25, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  52. Jerry in Boston

Jack,

I wouldn't skip a trip to the proctologist, let alone work, to meet ANY politician. None of them are worth a damn.

April 25, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  53. T.

Abe Lincoln. He was a people's president. Too bad his career and live was cut short.

April 25, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  54. JoAnn in Iowa

OBAMA

April 25, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  55. Erik Swansea, MA

I would love to skip work Jack but, I've been out of work since January. The person I would like to meet would be OSAMA BIN LADEN then I would drag him to New York City and let some New Yorkers have thier way with him.

April 25, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  56. Archana, New Jersey

Definately Lord Buddha – to come down to earth and convince Hillary Clinton to quit. One of his teachings were “Desire is the root cause of sorrow”. Hillary’s desire is turned to greed to move to White House. She already got a chance to live there for eight years why can’t she give a chance to Obama who is a better person. Moreover, her desire is going to be the root cause for Americans’ sorrow. The fight between two of them would easily give chance for US to become hell for another 4 years.

April 25, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  57. JT from TN

Washington...to see if our country and Bush is doing what is best for the country I bet i know the answwer.

April 25, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  58. MacD-Florida

NOT Hillary Clinton!

April 25, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  59. George Wilson

Certainly none of the candidates who are running today. My choice to meet would be Franklin Delano Roosevelt. He was my hero as a 6 year old, and remains so today. He led out country through one of the periless wars in history, and had the people of our country behind him. I still remember raising gardens to help to feed our neighbors, the gasoline, and sugar ration stamps, the stars in the windows of families who had people serving, and what the gold star meant just as if it were yesterday. Roosevelt was a leader, and he had people who would follow without question. The trouble we have today is that we do not have competent people in the important positions in government. He would make out leaders of today look like cotton candy.

April 25, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  60. Christina

Jack, I would skip to meet BARACK! He will be one of the most intelligent and cultured presidents we've ever had in the United States. I have so much to ask him. How does he speak so easily in front of people? I'm going to UT-Austin next year so I'd ask him about his policy on education and funding of... Just so much...i don't think all of my questions would fit into one visit at a diner! But what an honor it would be to meet him.

April 25, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  61. Georgia Independent Voter

Hi Jack,

This is easy, I'll like to cook for President and Mrs. George W. Bush. I would cook them a good old southern cooked meal, as we all shot the bull about the things in life. I'll have my husband grill some bar-be-que, and we will have a good old time.

I think our President need some kind words of encouragement these days, and I'm sure we (my husband and kids) do too.

April 25, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  62. Rob, Arvada, CO

I would not only ditch work, I would quit my job, to hang out with Barack Obama on his campaign tour. Barack Obama has stirred up hope and real change in this country like no candidate has ever done before. When he comes back to Denver, I'll buy him a waffle breakfast, and take him bowling.

April 25, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  63. Terry in Virginia

George Washington. I'd thank him for all he and the Founding Fathers did, the sacrifices they made, and for providing us with a good foundation. Then we'd compare notes about King George, his being King George III and mine being King George the W. I think he'd understand what we've endured these last 7 years.

April 25, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  64. Dave in Astoria

Jack...I would like to meet my maker, but at a time of my own choosing!

April 25, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  65. Ralph at NYC

Jack, the only person I would want to met is Abraham Lincoln. I have always admired his initial desire that the nation shold not divide, his ability to reach to both sides of the Civil War, and his desire not to punish the South after the North's final victory. His actions are lessons we can learn today as our nation is so divided on the eve of electing a new President.

April 25, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  66. Phil in Wenatchee, WA

I'd skip to meet Ed Hommer but can't because he was killed on Mt. Rainier training for Everest. And I certainly wouldn't skip anything to pay $3.65/gallon to go see George Bush who is a total waste of time and money. Barack or Hillary??? Naahhh.

April 25, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  67. huntingdonpost

I would skip school to meet Al Gore, the president in exile.

I can't believe the school suspended those kids for wanting to meet Obama. That's just narrow-minded foolishness. That they were eager to meet a presidential candidate, no matter whom, is great!

April 25, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  68. Shirley-Ohio

BARACK OBAMA

April 25, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  69. Denese, San Antonio, Texas

Sen Barack Obama!! Reminds of my father, my home church pastor, my husband, my friends, wise college professors, my uncle, my cousins, and My Daddy's friends from TSU. I own the company and would skip a day at work to go spend time with this man!!!

April 25, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  70. james hoffman, Prescott, MI

Obama without a doubt. I find him to be a very intelligent and personable man and I believe that if elected he will go down as one of the greatest presidents this Country ever produced. His background both domestic and foreign makes him a man of these times.

April 25, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  71. Mini Mom, Pinckney, MI

Once upon a time a great leader said, when you have a choice between hope and regular politics, you had better choose hope. I would love to meet Obama, because he is the hope for the future,the Led Zeppelin band, because they are the "band", and all of you at CNN, because you are the most trusted news on cable! (Ha!)

April 25, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  72. Nancy, Cunningham, TN

Franklin Delano Roosevelt helped bring this country out of as big a mess as we face today. It would have been worth it to skip school to support him for his 1st, 2nd or 3rd term. He put people to work to get the money flowing again. We need someone now with the wisdom to study the terms of President Roosevelt. They could learn a lot.

April 25, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  73. Nikki-Greenwood,SC

John F. Kennedy

April 25, 2008 at 4:31 pm |
  74. Ed

Jack,

I would skip work in a New York minute to meet the politician who has the power to bring this trajedy in Iraq to and end immediately, and stop the senseless killing of our honorable and brave soldiers, and bring them home to their families!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed Woodbridge,Va.

April 25, 2008 at 4:32 pm |
  75. Bill in New London, CT

My first instinct was Obama, first black president and all. Then I really got down to thinking, and the political figure that I most would want to meet wasn't a politician at all, at least not in title. Martin Luther King - hands down. No man has done more for a country and really meant it. He didn't have to be elected. He didn't have to pander and "look good" to get votes. He was the real deal. Whether Civil Rights, Human Rights, or economic inequality, MLK faught every fight with all he had and not for political gain. As an English teacher, I teach his Dream speech, have a poster of him in my classroom, and use his ideas to introduce "A Raisin in the Sun." Some students actually wonder why a white teacher talks so much about MLK. I try to make them understand what King always understood, that we are a human family, and we need to stand up for one another, no matter what.

April 25, 2008 at 4:32 pm |
  76. Nora

I am from canada. I would miss school tomeet Pierre Trudeau if I had it to do over again. I would also want to meet Obama.

April 25, 2008 at 4:33 pm |
  77. Bodo from Ann Arbor

Senator Obama is one of those amazing charismatic figures that come along only once in a century, the kind that you will tell your grandchildren about. Who would not like to have met Lincoln who also began in Springfield, Illinois, like Senator Obama? Who would not be proud to have met Jack Kennedy or Martin Luther King? Such unforgettable people bring hope to millions and inspire them to carry on in hard times - just what the country needs right now.

April 25, 2008 at 4:33 pm |
  78. Eugene in Northern California

Jack, I'd miss work, to meet "The Father of Our Country" George Washington. I'd like to tell him how our leaders have totally screwed up our nation and ignored and bastardized the principals, upon which it was founded. He probably start looking for his old uniform.

April 25, 2008 at 4:34 pm |
  79. Chicago Bob from Illinois

I would skip out for Bobby Kennedy. He was my hero and I was depressed for a whole year after he was killed. Then we got Nixon and things have not really been uplifting in the presidency since then.

April 25, 2008 at 4:34 pm |
  80. john ....................marlton, nj

I'd rather meet the Pope.

Your lead up to this question speaks volumes about the problem and why so many will not vote for Obama. Just excusing the Scranton kids instead of telling them to take responsibillity for their actions (ie lying to get in and skipping school) is perhap why many distrust what Obama will do if he gets elected. Will he demand people ttake responsibility or will he just excuse their behavior.

April 25, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  81. sandy in Ohio

Jack. since I'm retired I don't need to skip anything to meet someone but when I was in high school I skipped class to see John Kennedy and my Republican parents were none too happy. It was an experience I'll never forget and if I had actually met him I'm not sure I would be recovered yet. I think it's the same thing many feel for Barrack Obama.I might add that my high school civics and government teacher encouraged us all to go see him and gave all of us a grade if we returned with literature from the event. It instilled a life long interest in government and politics.

April 25, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  82. michael

jack i will skip my job to go looking for mental hopital to send rush limbhaung radio talkhost so they can check his brain how much damage ? stupid ?

April 25, 2008 at 4:43 pm |
  83. Katiec Pekin, IL

Jack,
    Our country is fortunate to have had many great presidents, present one certaintly not included.
    Today, I would skip anything to spend time with Barack Obama.
    I would jump fences to shake his hand.
    I would run a marathon (well maybe as am 71 years old) to
    give him a hug.
    I would even clean my house to have him for coffee.
    Anyway, being able to meet Barack would be one of
    the most memorial experiences of my life.
    It would be exciting to tell people "I know the President of
    the United States.

April 25, 2008 at 4:45 pm |
  84. Beth from Michigan

Charelton Heston of the NRA. Not exactly a politician, but I have always wanted to ask him how he could spend all that time in a space ship and come out with a tan.

April 25, 2008 at 4:45 pm |
  85. Betty---IN.

Al Gore & Hillary Clinton. Who needs to skip anything to see or hear Obama, He's all over T.V. the Media's darling.

April 25, 2008 at 4:47 pm |
  86. Dan in Webster NY

Hi jack,
    I am a greedy little piglet. I would skip,,, wait, I'm retired, I can't skip. I would like to talk with all the founding fathers and report back to America just exactly what they had in mind for this nation. Then I want to talk to Teddy Roosevelt about immigration. Told you I was greedy....

April 25, 2008 at 4:48 pm |
  87. Lerome Brock

Hmmm let's look at what's actually being asked here. Would I make up a lie in order to skip school to go and meet someone whose gonna lie? And the answer to that question is HECK YES. And the one I'd want to meet would be George W. Bush so I could see in person everything that a person shouldn't be.

April 25, 2008 at 4:48 pm |
  88. AL

Thomas Jeferson before he was president, and ask him to reconsider the lifetime appointment of supreme justices to 10-15 years or the election of justices.

April 25, 2008 at 4:48 pm |
  89. Damany

Mike Dukakis! I'd like to know why he didn't choose Jesse Jackson as his running mate after he courted Jesse Jackson and even had Jackson over to his home the weekend before he chose his running mate. Why didn't he choose Jackson? Why didn't he tell Jackson of his plans! Did he feel as if he deserved any black support after insulting one of their leaders? I'd Tell Dukakis how truly low I thought he actions.

April 25, 2008 at 4:49 pm |
  90. sarah, indiana

easy one jack, i would skip out to meet teddy roosevelt. he believed in doing what was right for the american people even is it was not what his political party wanted and expected. man, i wish we has a few people like him in the united states government now.

April 25, 2008 at 4:52 pm |
  91. Jerry from Louisville,KY

I would skip school to meet two people. The first person I would like to meet is Barack Obama. I have seen him speak four times, but I have never been close enough to him to share a word with him. The second person that I would like to meet is Hillary Clinton. I would like to meet her so that I can convince her to jump out of the race. She is hurting the party and if the Democrats lose in November we can all blame her.

April 25, 2008 at 4:53 pm |
  92. Jim Chieco

George Washington....Because I would love to ask him if he is really rolling in his grave at the way todays politicians continue to run our country into the ground.

April 25, 2008 at 4:56 pm |
  93. Red Dog from ND but now in O city Florida

Leonard Peltier, MLK, Douglas McArthur, Red Cloud, Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse, Osceola, Ghandi, the Founding Fathers of the USA, and of Course Barak Obama.

April 25, 2008 at 4:57 pm |
  94. Colleen Brooks, North Carolina

Dick Cheney and I would where a suit of armor and leave my wallet at home.

April 25, 2008 at 5:00 pm |
  95. Bill Oh Really

I wouldn't skip school to meet you, Jack.. but I would to meet Hillary Clinton , the best candidate to run for president in many years.

April 25, 2008 at 5:00 pm |
  96. Kerry

The best President in history, Ronald Reagan. President Carter couldn't get our hostages out of Iran, but Iran released them the first minute that he was inaugurated president. He had great strength of character and was wonderful. Just ask the Reagan Democrats!

April 25, 2008 at 5:46 pm |
  97. Greg from Mechanicsburg, PA

John Adams. I am related to him through my mother’s side of the family. I just saw a HBO special about him. I would like to ask him a question. Who do you think should be the next President and why?

April 25, 2008 at 5:46 pm |
  98. Annie, Atlanta

Jimmy Carter, because there may not be another chance in my lifetime to meet another peacekeeper.

April 25, 2008 at 5:47 pm |
  99. Elizabeth

Great question Cafferty. I would say Abe Lincoln, Malcolm X, Robert F. Kennedy and 1st lady Eleanor Roosevelt. Why do you ask? Because they challenged the status quo and accepted norm in our backward societies and dreamed of a greater America, strengthen by its Constitution, progressive law and united nation under one red/blue.

and of course you Jack, the few redeeming quality about CNN.

London, England

April 25, 2008 at 5:47 pm |
  100. Pete, Fla.

Two people Jack. The first would be President Bush, so that I could kick him in the gut and ask why he's leading this country. And the second would be Al Gore, so that I could kick him in the gut and ask why he isn't in this race trying to become the leader this country.

April 25, 2008 at 5:50 pm |
  101. Anne/Seattle

I would love to meet George Washington, John Adams and Abraham Lincoln from those who have died. And of the living, I'd like to meet Barack Obama, Joe Biden and Robert Byrd. I'm retired so I have the time to meet several but even if I were working, I'd take the day or days off to meet these men. Eash of these men knows so much about American politics and history that their knowledge is irresistible.

April 25, 2008 at 5:51 pm |
  102. Randy Rivas

Jack, with the economy the way it is how can anyone afford to skip work unless you make over $60,000 or $100,000 a year, now if your a professional athlete and your team is winning without you it might be excusable unless you play for the yankees or mets and or some other losing sports franchise then you have no excuse at all as you will hear about it from the fans and the media

April 25, 2008 at 5:51 pm |
  103. Seattle Steve

You, Jack, you.

April 25, 2008 at 5:52 pm |
  104. Elonda - Portland, Oregon

The Lord!

April 25, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  105. Leo From FL.

I'd skip to meet obama, Lupe Fiasco, and Bill Clinton just to chew him out.

April 25, 2008 at 5:56 pm |
  106. Kim VA

That's easy for me. Obama, he and Michelle remind me of what normal was, before George and Dick took office. The struggle of a couple trying to play by the rules and raise their family.

Hillary would just like to exploit hers to gain the Presidency. Problem is they can lie with a straight face too. I wouldn't lose a days pay or leave from a school to hear them or see them. In fact, I've seen enough Clintons to last me a lifetime and I'm 48.

April 25, 2008 at 5:58 pm |
  107. Christine, Lee's Summit, MO

George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, and Franklin Roosevelt. Those are four men who faced difficult times and did what what was right, not what was easy.

April 25, 2008 at 5:58 pm |
  108. carrie

saddam hussein.

April 25, 2008 at 5:58 pm |
  109. Greg, Hamilton Ontario

Gerald Ford. I would love to look that guy in the face and ask him how he could put his name to a report that endorsed the "magic bullet theory" ( as well as the lone gunman) and still think he was intelligent enough to hold the job as President.

April 25, 2008 at 6:01 pm |
  110. Bernie Moore-Knowles

Easy. Robert Kennedy and Barack Obama. Martin Luther King has to be up there, too.

Bernie Moore-Knowles
    Papa'aloa, Hawai'i

April 25, 2008 at 6:02 pm |
  111. Frannie

George Washington resisted a movement to make him King rather than President, and so he started this nation on a remarkable new course of government, able to withstand all manner of human greed and frailties which have also been there from the very beginning. I like to believe that our remarkable Democracy will always rise above human greed and frailties, and I'd like to meet George Washington and thank him.

April 25, 2008 at 6:03 pm |
  112. Maria, Byron Center MI

Bill & Hillary Clinton

Ted Kennedy

Al Gore

Bill Richardson

I don't care much about the rest.

April 25, 2008 at 6:03 pm |
  113. Tom in Canada

JFK – No other American showed " the parts" he did, before or after the Cubian missile crisis. He took a stance that protected the world. A guy like that has got to be interesting

April 25, 2008 at 6:03 pm |
  114. Bruce Marshall

Ben Franklin he was so far ahead of his time as a politician and American. He gave up his son he was so pro American.

April 25, 2008 at 6:03 pm |
  115. IFEANYI AZUBIKE Houston, Texas

None except perhaps lincoln, Kennedy or Reagan

April 25, 2008 at 6:10 pm |
  116. Pat Allen

Abraham Lincoln

April 25, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  117. brent , texas

Franklin Delano Roosevelt...he died before I was born, but he could give us tips on how to survive really terrible times (which we really don't know anything about, but might face soon) Whether you agreed with him in politics or not, he was at the helm of the hardest recovery since the Civil War. I drive on brick steets and enter buildings that were erected by Americans in need under the New Deal. Corrupt as some say it was, it worked in its own way and America stood proud.

April 25, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  118. Will

Jack Cafferty

April 25, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  119. Jackson

None. I'd rather meet Michael Jordan.

April 25, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  120. Jay from Norman, OK

Dubya, because I just need to know what the hell that man was thinking.

April 25, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  121. Jay Mehta

Simple answer : Jesse Ventura

April 25, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  122. Tyler Henderson Independence, Kansas

I'm a senior in high school and would have done the exact same thing they did. I would miss school in a heartbeat to meet and campaign for Obama.

April 25, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  123. Anne from Houston

The Clintons
    Theodore Roosevelt
    Thomas Jefferson
    George Washington
    James Madison
    John Adams

April 25, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  124. john, Brazil

George Bush... just because i'd be morbidly curious to see if he really was that crazy.

April 25, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  125. David

My choice would be Barack Obama. He'll be the greatest President since FDR, maybe better.

April 25, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  126. Shaun

JFK, because we could sure use him right now...

April 25, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  127. Dina Meyer

Thomas Jefferson without question. I would love to know how he feels about the current administration.

April 25, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  128. Alexander Skau

It is hard to name a contemporary politician, as they do not seem to be men with principles anymore but rather men with a sense for a majority. School would be more improtant than meeting them. But had Lincoln or Washington come to town, I would have skipped school – no doubt.

April 25, 2008 at 6:14 pm |
  129. Tracey

I would skip to meet Bill O'Reilly And Shawn Hannity, so I could anoint their heads with oil, and purge them with hyssop. They both are full of evil spirits. Then I pray I did not miss my chance to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. one of the true saints this world has been given.

April 25, 2008 at 6:14 pm |
  130. Rhiannon

Jack, there was a time I would have to have been hard pressed to decide between Jack and Robert Kennedy, but now that we have Barack Obama, I am proud to say that I would have the opportunity to meet a living, breathing man who embodies all the best which I have all my life so admired in those two great men from MA.
    Little Rock, AR

April 25, 2008 at 6:14 pm |
  131. Mike

Ghandi... enough said.

Mike in Maine

132. Kelley C, Huntsville AL, USA

Thomas Jefferson – a thousand times over.

Lincoln after the Civil War started – to ask if he ever regretted it.

Obama but I'm not in school. I have taken off a day from work.

133. Mitchell Koch

Bush 43, because I'd lose my appetite and I'm trying to lose weight.

Mitch
    Miami, FL

134. Paul Byrnes

As a veteran of 18 months of service in Vietnam, I would want to meet with Senator McCain so I could express my belief that the way to support the troops is by promising to bring them home from Iraq as soon as possible, by giving them all the support they need to prosecute the war in Afghanistan; and by supporting legislation to improve G.I. Bill benefits.

135. Elisabeth J from Bloomington, IN

Jack I'd like to skip work to meet with Thomas Jefferson as he had so much to do with setting up this amazing political system and he was smart ahead of his time. I thought about Barack but he has too much of a cult following to make him truly interesting.

136. Alan Bruce- SEMO

Judging from the state that civilization finds itself in today, I wouldn't miss having all my teeth pulled out with pliers to speak to any of them.

137. Richard Goodwin

John Kennedy and /or the Beatles

138. Jeff

Jack:

No brainer...Bill Clinton. Why? Are you kidding???

139. David Morrow

I would want to meet John Adams (2nd President) to learn more about his role and long relationship with Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin. I think John Adams was probably the most influential President in out freedom than anyone else.

140. Sharon

I would skip school to meet George Mason. He wrote the pre-Revolutionary paper that coin the phrase "no taxation without representation" I would ask him if he thinks we are represented by our current representatives in Washington. I wonder what he would write about todays government?

141. fadi

I wish I were american to vote for Obama
    i think he is the only candidate i would ever leave work to meet him
    Fadi, PA

142. Johnnie Lopez

I am too old to be in school, but I would skip school and could be expelled for a week to be able to meet with Barry Goldwater. Wish he was around today, I'm sure many would vote for him for President now and he would get us out of the mess we are in, if he said he would you could take that to the bank. He was the most truthful man running for President ever.

143. Jasmine

Barack Obama! the best person for president '08

144. Dottie - I am the gal in Kalamazoo

FDR – To thank him for my monthly Social Security check.

145. Danny

I would skip school to meet Lyndon Baines Johnson. One of the most under appreciated Presidents of our time and a hell of a politician! It would be interesting to hear him compare the late 60's to the present.

By the way Jack, has anyone ever told you that you resemble Lyndon? I've always thought that.

Mediapolis, Iowa

146. Josh Ackman

I would skip school to meet with former President Franklin D. Roosevelt. I would prefer to have met him towards the end of his fourth term during the time of World War 2. I would love to have asked him how he felt about being elected by the people so many times in a row and, knowing what I know now, I would love to have sat down with him to discuss a stretegy in dealing with World War II and the Nazi Regime.

147. Laura//York PA

Totally Barack Obama–he is already a living legend!

148. jan

I did skip work to see Hillary and she is amazing.

April 25, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  149. David,San Bernardino,CA.

I would love to meet the founding fathers of our country and tell them how sorry I am that the current politicians are idiots and have wantonly destroyed what they created. Also,the suspensions were completely unwarranted and show absolutely what clueless clowns we have running the schools. They are only interested in the money from the state not in students actually learning something.

April 25, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  150. Pamela Stevens

I think...maybe...Bill Clinton. He had his faults in office but he did get the budget balanced and the economy was so much stronger then! Guess those were the "Good ole days!". Independence, WI

April 25, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  151. Mark

None of them, they are all pretty useless. They talk and talk, collect our tax money and the country just gets worse.

152. Marilyn

Definitely William Jennings Bryan. I've always wondered why he ran for the presidency 3 times when he obviously was a loser. Poor guy.

153. Sean Lewis New York City

Without question it would be Martin Luther King Jr.

Unlike most of our current leaders, MLK put
    his own life at risk for his beliefs.

If only our current leaders were as willing to do what they ask others
    to do.

Sean Lewis
    NYC

154. Tim Marc, Ottawa

I went eight years from grade 4 to grade 12 without missing a single day of school for any reason. In 1979 I went to Ottawa to hear Prime Minister Joe Clark deliver a speech to Parliament. I doubt any one else there skipped anything to attend.

155. Shelly-ann from Canada

Hi Jack..I would do that and more to meet Barack Obama. I think he is the closest thing to Martin Luther King that we will ever see and it surprises me how fake Hilary honored King and his choices but is now tearing down Barack. She is the biggest liar and hypocrit in politics today.
    I even think Bush is better than her. Atleast he is honest about who he is.

156. Nuno, Sintra, Portugal

Truman, Jack, just to ask if he knew what a nuclear bomb was.

157. David

Jack,

This is a easy one. Ron Paul he's the only honest politican with real solutions and the only Presidential Candidate that want to talk about real issues. He's coming to my city the 23rd of May for a book signing and I think I'm going to be "sick" that day.

Dave
    San Diego, Ca

158. Elbert

I would skip school to meet James Madison, because it was his founding philosophy of checks and balances that made our nation what it it is today. He combined the truths of Thomas Hobbes with the realities revealed by Fyodor Dostoyevsky to create a stable yet realistic democracy; a federal republican government. Federalsim Forever!

159. Amir

It would have to be the founding fathers, in particular Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin because they were pivotal in the creation of the finest document to date; the constitution of the United States.

160. Lisa / in Texas

Jack this one(question) was easy, O B A M A.

I would skip, work, and a few other things for a chance to meet Mr Obama . I ' ve tried to meet him twice, just wasn't in the cards for me. By the way i would skip school to me you as well Jack, Love your show.

Lisa

161. Curtis McTavish

The President that I would skip school or work in order to meet hasn't been elected yet or since JFK. Then again, LBJ would have been good enough.

162. Max

George Bush! We could drink beer, he could advise me on my oil and gas investments, and he could give me tips for quail hunting with Dick Cheney.

163. jeffrey hannusch-new orleans

Canada's Pierre Trudeau mes ami. The most intelligent North American head of state ever.

164. Melanie, Lake Wales, FL

My mother and I agree on one thing, which is not too often: we would want to meet you, Jack!
    And the Cousteau family, for my part, but they aren’t real politicians.

April 25, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  165. Tommy Lopez

Thomas Jefferson and JFK without a doubt. I would skip to talk to Jefferson to get a better insight and intelligent viewpoint on our living documents that we live by. Then JFK to meet an idealistic, charismatic man who gave hope to all. Wait!!! Isn’t that Obama?

April 25, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  166. talia

jimmy carter – because while most people disregard his presidency, he has made a legacy that any politician would kill for, eradicating a disease, having the chutzpah to walk in into countries in uproar and make sense of it, (at least to some), and to set an example for all politicians – he has always put the common man first. besides if we had listened to him during his presidency, when he urged Americans to quit the oil habit, we'd most likely not be in the mist of this oil war, and maybe not as far along in the climate change as we are...and i've had the honor to meet him. he's humble and glowing.

April 25, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  167. Anne from Altoona, Wi.

I would skip to see Bill Clinton. During his presidency my husband and I experienced the growth and success of our tiny Mom and Pop business. They were the best years we had. George W. destroyed it all.

April 25, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  168. William Courtland, Waterford, Ontario

Meeting a politician would be work within itself.

April 25, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  169. Nick

I would see Hillary Clinton even though iam only 14 she has inspired me to get into politics. I still believe she will be President.

April 25, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  170. Bob, Los Angeles

I would skip work to meet Thomas Jefferson. Then I would tell the boss I met him and get a long vacation.

April 25, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  171. Lisa - Tennessee

I would take time to see and hear Barack Obama and then I can say I was there when History was made. If Clinton (Bill) came close enough to my hometown, I'd go to see him, even after all of his whining – I still like him.

April 25, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  172. Trevor

I would skip my furture wedding, and graduation to meet Abraham Lincoln. He is the President that did the most to bring this divided country back together when the South seceded. But he is dead. So I would like to meet Barack Obama. He is an astonishing person. HU! He reminds me of Abe.

April 25, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  173. Jimbo

I was a die hard Mitt Romney fan when he was in the running, i loved what he did with the Olyimpic games, and his work in Massachusetts. I had the campaign shirt, buttons, yard sign, i even had the bumperstickers for my parents. I would love to see him in a heartbeat without hesitation!!!

April 25, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  174. Divine

Hi Jack,
    I am a doctor, and cant skip work...but when I was in med school, I will have skipped class in a heart beat .....to meet Barack Obama.

April 25, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  175. Heeda from NJ

BARACK OBAMA
    I took all four of our kids (ages 17-6) out of school one day when Senator Obama led a rally in NJ. It was an experience and an opportunity they will never forget. They were inspired, especially when inspiration is dead in public schools. Senator Obama is a once in lifetime opportunity and I am glad my children are exposed to him. He is truly a political figure that transends all – and my children are learning so much about our political system. Now they want me to take them to North Carolina or Indiana so that they can have that opportunity again. This guy has something special and everyone can see that. My children can see that....they see a guy who is sincere and real and the possibilities are endless...I am glad I took them out of school and will do it all over again, and again.

April 25, 2008 at 6:33 pm |
  176. Craig Palmer

Jack;

I would skip school now for any of the Founding Fathers of the Constitution. Yes, these are real people who had more dedication to our lives than any of the so-called poiticians of today. We should all be so priviledged as to have a session of learning with these dedicated and bright individuals.
    PS – being retired, I don't want to think about going back to school, again.

April 25, 2008 at 6:33 pm |
  177. Mary

Obama, he is the first candidate to give me a glimmer of hope that the mess our government is in might be fixed.

April 25, 2008 at 6:33 pm |
  178. Dale McConnell in Spokane Washington

Here’s my question to you: Which politician — living or dead — would you skip work or school to meet and why?

Who: John Adams
    Why: A true president in every way. The man went around the world to build the country we hold so dear today.
    He earned his way into congress and even after his limited power in office as a VP he continued to on to become one of the most loved presidents in US history.

Quoting John Adams – "People and nations are forged in the fires of adversity,"

It's not just words this nation needs right now, we need resolution...

April 25, 2008 at 6:33 pm |
  179. Cheryl

I would skip work to meet Robert F. Kennedy. He was the kind of leader we needed in 1968 and today, too. What an intelligent, thoughtful, and courageous statesman, one who cared more about this country and all her people than anyone I see on the scene these days!

April 25, 2008 at 6:35 pm |
  180. Tim

I'd want to meet Al Gore. I'd want to talk to him about what he'd do as president if he won and what our country would be like. Would the dollar be strong? Would the economy be better? Id also want to know what he'd do to turn this anti-enviromently friendly country into a recycling country.

April 25, 2008 at 6:35 pm |